Speaker 1: So you know how some of the breakups that you've had in your life are difficult, some are easier and breakups.
Speaker 2: It's right, writers been with Alex for his entire life.
Speaker 1: No, but like some people just don't want to let you go no matter what you do, they just don't.
Speaker 2: I've I've had that recently, Yes, where no matter how hard I try to leave, termin X just doesn't want to take up. I started dating Organ. We're in a very healthy relationship.
Speaker 1: Every day, halls and texts starting at eight am, actual physical people calling.
Speaker 3: No, they're not like.
Speaker 2: It's termin X. I think we can work this out. Do you like?
Speaker 3: I know?
Speaker 1: You answer no, I just there'll be voicemails like you could tell they've been drinking, they've been up on that time.
Speaker 2: It's sad.
Speaker 4: Why did you break up with them?
Speaker 1: Because they were expensive and they weren't really doing much and the Organ guy really cute.
Speaker 3: It just it was new, it was exciting, and so it seems like it was healthier. It seems like he made the right decision.
Speaker 2: They were listening to me, Danielle. So what it was as opposed to just we've.
Speaker 1: Been with we've been with the you know you're with somebody for three four years and they start to kind of like, well I didn't need to get all the cobwebs or all the spiders, and it's like, oh, you're phoning in our relationship right now.
Speaker 3: So I don't even know what termin XINX is just kind of anork and it's pest control exactly. You know, you pay them on a regular basis.
Speaker 2: It's a monthly service.
Speaker 4: And they come they come to my house twice month.
Speaker 2: Termin X or ORCD Western. Oh my god, you're with a third par okay. Interesting.
Speaker 1: So I'm in a relationship now with orcan but termin X this morning eight am.
Speaker 2: Hey, it's termin X. Just thinking about you, just wondering what you're up to. And I'm good without you.
Speaker 1: But if you know, if you did ever want to come back, I'm sure we could work something.
Speaker 2: It's unbelievab. I've never had a breakup like this in my life. They won't me.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean I get it, you're hard to you're hard to leave will.
Speaker 2: I understand it too, But sometimes you gotta let go.
Speaker 4: For the word man I did. I did recently get an email from an ex that I have not spoken to in thirteen years.
Speaker 3: If they had your your email or.
Speaker 4: Yes, I knew that they I knew that they had my email, but like thirteen we've not said one word to each other for thirteen years.
Speaker 2: Was it a good reach out?
Speaker 4: He was asking for money?
Speaker 3: Oh no, yeah, that's that's so sad. You're gonna say it was like, you know, hey, I've been thinking about.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I wanted to apologize, So go fund me.
Speaker 6: Hmmm.
Speaker 2: I thought i'd send it to your other email.
Speaker 3: Go fund me, go you.
Speaker 2: That's the shirt I want.
Speaker 1: Go fund me, go go fund me.
Speaker 2: That's tough, so yes, please termin x. I've moved on.
Speaker 4: Check out Western. Check out Western.
Speaker 1: I might have to check out Western because I'm having I have a rat problem right now in the controls, so they have to before I get a new heater, they have to go in and get the rat, which.
Speaker 7: I think Western is actually part of their is a rat Western Western. That would be exactly what I'm looking for.
Speaker 5: You know, I think Western's really big on the rats. They're good at They're good at them. Yeah, so maybe check them out.
Speaker 4: Check them out.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, I saw a third date. I don't know.
Speaker 4: It's so hard. Welcome to pod meets World I'm Daniel Fishel.
Speaker 2: I'm Rider Strong, and I'm Wilfordale.
Speaker 5: Well before Britney Spears or Sabrina Carpenter or even a group of k pops singing demon hunters, the fate of our country's pop stars rested in, of all places, your local shopping mall. In the eighties and nineties, these centers of commerce were the primary social space for teenagers and young adults. Whether it was wet Seal Miller's out posts, Merry Go Round, or just in front of a hot dog on a stick, this is where we hung out every weekend, sipping an orange Julius, playing in the arcade, or just standing by a payphone waiting for the boy or girl you like.
Speaker 4: To walk by.
Speaker 5: And as a result, instead of trying to pull prepubescent fans into clubs or concert halls, record labels brought the artists directly to them to the mall for what they would creatively call a mall tour. These public appearances guaranteed built in foot traffic and an audience already primed to discover, shop and spend. Since the pre Internet music business depended solely on local buzz and radio play, these new marketing activations in the form of performances, autograph signings, and live radio broadcasts broke artists regionally in hopes it would spread like syphilis throughout the.
Speaker 4: Greater United States, despite the fact that it originated near a neighborhood.
Speaker 5: Can tempo casuals, and our Guests this Week didn't just benefit from them all to her craze, she practically invented it. Her nineteen eighty seven cover of Tommy James and the Chondell's I Think We're Alone Now rocketed her from the food Court to number one on the Billboard Charts, where she also became the youngest female artist to ever claim the top spot with a debut album, and later that year she'd start performing in much bigger venues now with a young, upstart boy band at the time.
Speaker 4: A little group called the New Kids on the Block.
Speaker 5: And just last month, almost forty years later, like all great things from the eighties, she came roaring back thanks to Stranger Things, which featured I Think We're Alone Now in their fifth season, suddenly sending her into international streaming charts. So this week on Podmeats World, we are definitely not alone. Welcome to the show, eighties pop icon Tiffany.
Speaker 6: Hello, holy guys or you, how are you good?
Speaker 4: Thank you so much for joining us. This is an honor I do.
Speaker 5: Before I jump into our interview, I am wondering if you can confirm a story for me about a time when we met in the nineties, and you have to tell me how far because okay, so I because my memory is very shoddy, but I am pretty sure did we have a karaoke night.
Speaker 4: Together with Lance? Back with Lance and Vince Vaughn and Janet Jacks.
Speaker 6: Girl that like the microphone? And yes, and I was a big Debbie Gibson. Are you kidding? I think later? I don't have to remember dad.
Speaker 1: Okay, five hundred episodes of pre show chatter and this is the first time we're about this.
Speaker 3: I'm kidding.
Speaker 6: I don't remember dead, to be honest with you.
Speaker 4: Okay, don't you remember Janet? She did yeah, and she did not sing.
Speaker 6: Oh, I don't know. I remember Vince Vaughn, and I remember uh Land Land Course and uh and I remember boycotting the Planet originally because we were like eating downtown and they were like, We're gonna go this club and do karaoke, and I was like, oh, I probably won't go because I don't really do karaoke. It's just really not my thing. And a couple of cocktails later and then I was like, okay, you know, and I came over there and I remember just going, oh.
Speaker 4: My god, I know the song, got I know the song.
Speaker 6: They were like okay, girl like, and we had the microphone and I was time. So I remember the evening, but I became a little karaoke my cock that night. I was sobered.
Speaker 4: That's so funny.
Speaker 6: I went not doing karaoke too. I know every song because I will do it. So we were and I just like and I remember we had a great time. It was the first time I met Vince Vawn and of course Lance and I've been buddies for a while, so it was great to like hang out. I don't remember Deadbie in there, and do you remember you Janet?
Speaker 5: Actually Janet was there, and that it is true that I didn't remember if Debbie was there.
Speaker 4: That was the thing. I was like, am I adding any.
Speaker 6: Actually came to dinner and said hello, but didn't go. I don't think she.
Speaker 1: Went yeah, wow, do you remember that time we went bowling with the cast of friends?
Speaker 2: And Tom cruise. Oh yeah, yeah, that was awesome.
Speaker 3: We just never mentioned it. No, we never brought that out to it.
Speaker 2: It was just so totally cool. Remember Tom, I was doing that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, when Tom showed you how to bowl, like he became a bowl the tom cake?
Speaker 4: How's the tom cake you get every year?
Speaker 6: You know? Since my my my little night out though, again because I was like, no, I don't really karaoke, and then I just remember being a total like everybody going, oh my god, are we going to get a chance.
Speaker 2: That's so funny?
Speaker 6: And you want to sing it to us if it helps.
Speaker 4: If it makes you feel any better about the night.
Speaker 5: I didn't remember you being a micg so you know, it's not like anybody walked awa away from it going gosh that Tiffany did?
Speaker 4: I did? Yeah?
Speaker 6: We all say together. I did. I did have buddies. I did wrangle in other people.
Speaker 4: We did, we didn't. I think we did.
Speaker 6: Hear the songs.
Speaker 4: I think I did a duet. I don't think I did, like, so did I think her alone?
Speaker 6: Now? I remember that, Yes, yes, and we did the dance the whole mon yard.
Speaker 2: It's ironic that you did. I think you're alone now, together.
Speaker 6: It's the requirement of mine nowadays. I don't want to be alone the girl alone. Why am I alone? I don't.
Speaker 5: I want to go to start the interview. I want to go all the way back to Star Search. It's a nostalgic hallmark for us. And you finished second place. You were only fourteen years old. What do you remember from the Star Search experience?
Speaker 6: I actually think I was twelve at the time. Wow, really, And I remember me Laura. I think her name was Melaura Hard. No, no, it wasn't Malaura. It wasn't it was. I forget, Oh gosh, I forget her last name. But her first name was Laura, but wasn't Malaura Harden? And she came out and she like was ponytail girl, and she was you know all that because I started off in country at nine years old, and I just learned that if you want to sing, which I did. You know, I drove my family nuts by the time I was like four or five, always singing in my bedroom. My family didn't know anything about the music industry. So my stepfather said, well, this is what you want to do, then you'll hop up here and sing in front of everybody, which was not a problem and then.
Speaker 2: Are you are you thinking of Melissa Moultrie?
Speaker 6: I am, thank you, thank you. Laura Harden I took acting classes from her mom, Diana Hard Actually laur Laura became a friend of mine later on. So yeah, the the backstory of Tiffany. So again my family not knowing anything about the music industry, it was all just kind of connections. We started singing at the VFW Club in Norwalk, where the band said, well, you've got to do this, and then you've got to go into LA and you've got to have headshots and you've got to do acting classes and modeling classes and dancing classes and all of that. So we became in the little circuit there and then someone said, well, you know, of course you've got us start auditioning for all of these commercials or talk shows, whatever it was. And I got the episode for Star Search, and I remember going to the audition and seeing all the other girls and you know, they were like fresh face and all of that, and somebody said, well, she'll needs some work for her performance skills if they will need to work on that, because she's a great voice, but she needs to open up. So they took me to the valley. Okay, I'm from East LA, originally Norwalk, and they took me to the valley to this hippy dippy dippy do studio where this like guru acting teacher was like, okay, so you're gonna feel it and you're gonna like be really really like you're in into yourself. And then I'm seeing I Am love Jennifer Holiday and you're like and then all of a sudden, you're gonna see me, and then you're gonna walk out. And I was like, all right, okay, this seems weird, Like why don't I just perform? But I guess I'm doing it wrong. So that's what we did on Star Search. But we also dressed me in a tuxedo, which was advised as well. Ocean Meek costume me, so I looked like a scared stuff penguin to me, I was just looking at me. And then that performance from Hell in my opinion, and here Melaura comes out and she's just like, you know whatever she did with her little ponytail, and she was cuter than life. And I remember watching her before and before I did, going oh, she's won it right. That was adorable, you know, I mean, she just had it, and why am I doing all this extra stuff that's not really ingrained in me? So I think that was the first time. Of course, you take advice and you could be wrong, but I really went against the grain on that one for what my intuition was. And then when I lost, I remember crying, but I was like, I understand why I lost. That was pretty good. I mean, but you you.
Speaker 5: Definitely had the last word with the show however. I mean, you were the first person to have a number one by any recorded by any contestant, So you may have come in second place, but you definitely had the last word. I mean it was only two years later then you would release your debut out them, the self titled Tiffany. So how did it progress from runner up to big record deal so quickly?
Speaker 6: Well, we, I mean we stayed in the circuit. I mean again once my parents were like, Okay, I guess she has to take acting class and she just do this, and again running me back and forth to LA was not convenient, but again it was something I wanted to do, and so my parents were like, you know, we'll try it for a while. Uh, and my you know, we were able to do it. On the weekends. My mom was, you know, stay at home mom, so she could drive me. My my real father got involved. At one time. I had my aunts, you know, that were recruited to drive me to audition. It was a family affair, literally, and to the point where I was actually staying up in LA with a family friend so I could be closer to auditions because you know, sometimes you get you know, that call, and you just have to run. So during the summer I was able to do that, and that was a little different from me, but you know, that led me to meeting a lot of different people. I was told, you have to do demos. We didn't even know what a demo was. So we were putting songs together and I worked My first producer was Bobby Sherman actually, and I went to his studio and recorded some songs there, and then I worked with a bunch of other people, thinking I was going to do rock music at one point, because you know, I had turned from country to rock music. I had an older cousin who I used to sneaker her vinyls and listened to them, and that's where I found Stevie Nix and Heart and I was like Pat was like, I want to be these ladies, you know. So I did some rock demos, but people were like, how old are you. You're twelve, that's never going to work out. Come back when you're older.
Speaker 3: So you started with country because that's what your parents were into.
Speaker 6: Is that?
Speaker 3: Like they okay.
Speaker 6: Left country music, but yes, that's what was playing in my Homecha. So I actually came to Nashville for the very first time. I live now in Nashville. I've been here seventeen years, but I came the first time when I was ten. And my manager at that time was may Axidon Hoyd accent member Joy to the World, Dolla Too. He wrote that for three Dog Night. But he also was the dad in Gremlins. Yes, so Hoy became a good family friend after my dad, like, you know, basically beat him down with my daughter. My daughter wants to sing at every stop along his tour, my dad would follow him around California, and you know, of course he had the security guards first, then the tour manager, and then finally after many attempts, you know, he got up got Hoyt's attention and Hoy goes, I heard about you. You're the guy with the daughter that wants to sing. I got it. I got the message. You know what, come on the bus. Let's put this tape in and hear what she sounds like, you know. And he put the tape in and he looked at my daddy said, okay, this is weird. You're telling me this girl's nine years old. She sounds like a thirty year old girl. And my dad said, oh, yeah, I know. She's got a really good voice. I think you know, I mean, you know, he goes, all right, bring her here tomorrow night. She can't come in the club, but she can stand outside the door. I'll have her up for two numbers. Joy to the world. And what else does she sing? And my dad said, well, she sings Delta Dawn. You know, that's her favorite song. So so I did. I got up with a void and again the reaction to my voice at that time was that's weird. You're a little girl, but you sound like an old lady, like what's happening here? So that was it, and he said, you know, I don't know what else to do but to send you to my mom out in Nashville. So I came out here when I was ten and recorded demos, did all the circuit, did all the shows, but you know, I was ten, there was no material for me to sing. I wasn't divorced by then, I wasn't struggling with the dicks in her booze. I'm yeah, I don't have no man to stand by at the time, so you know, they were really struggling for material and I was just advised to keep coming back. But by that time, I went, you know, like I said, back to LA and just started doing a lot of like the acting and dancing, and that's when I did Star Search.
Speaker 5: So when did you How did you then find out that you were going to be doing a debut album called Tiffany.
Speaker 6: I was doing another demo in Burbank, California, and the producer who owned the studio walked into the session and was like, who is singing that? And you know, I was like, I'm over here. It was like again, this is this young girl singing this. At that time, I was fourteen, and he goes, I don't know anything about country music. Because I went back to country. I was kind of doing edgy country, and he said, I don't know anything about country music, but you know, I what about pop music. I'd love to, you know, so literally he pulled me into the lobby, got a guitar and started singing. I saw him standing there, started singing a bunch of other songs and just finding my range really, and then said, you know, I want to make a meeting with your parents. And at that time, my stepmother and my dad were getting a divorce, so I was staying with my real father, and he did not want me in the music industry, you know, although he had been, you know, taking me to auditions and he was, you know, helping my parents and everybody kind of got along in my family, but he just really thought, you know, I don't know, now that I've seen it, she might get her heart broken. You know, it's a really kind of canby a shady industry. I really rather her go to school and go to college, although she's talented. So he was very reluctant, but we won him over, and then we had that meeting with George. And then at that point my mom was more stable where I could go and live with her, and you know, and so my mom's side the contract and that was that was it. I was fourteen when I recorded the album, and even then we had people really reluctant to sign me to a major label. So I was going in with my bunk box to UH to crash. Literally luncheons had all these executive luncheons and I would just you know, we did one for Clive Davis. I remember George was like, look, they're going to try to stop you. As soon as you walk in this door, press play and start singing and just keep walking and here's the table they'll be at, and don't let anybody stop you. And so we did that quite often. God like I but the word kind of got around that that's you know, there was this little girl that could really sing. So then we did some showcases live at the studio where they saw me single live and I would sing at to all the tracks. And at the end of it, I had like four or five different labels that wanted to sign me. So it worked. You know, we were INCA and the rest was history.
Speaker 5: Okay, But your first single was not I Think We're Alone Now. It was actually a song called Danny and that song fails to chart. So here you are, fourteen years old, runner up on Star Search. Your big break with the album the first single falls a little short. How are you feeling at this point before the massive success, like everything feels so close and yet so far.
Speaker 6: Well, you know, I don't think that I really knew what that meant to be. Intert with you put out, Danny, I can tell you how I felt about the cover of the single. You know. I was asked to come from school to do the photo shoot for the album cover, and I go out there. Somebody came and got me from Norwalk, drove all the way up to LA to the photographer's studio, Randy Saint Nicholas, and I remember Randy going, Okay, where's the wardrobe. No one had purchased anything for me. And I come from school with my feather hair, my vans, my jeans, and my chip nails. If you notice there's chip nails, you know, And she's like, okay, great, well I can start shooting her. I have a jacket and I have a sweater from my car, and that's how I got the jean jacket and the blue sweater because I was wearing that blue T shirt from school. So we started and then they quickly went to Benetton, I think Benetson and got me like these pastel colors, and if you know, me. I'm not a Bassdale girl. So they got me all these really pastel and then some overalls and then somebody I was to crimp my hair. Totally cool. I was doing it now. But we all know in the eighties you don't double crimp.
Speaker 2: We did, we did. We knew that, we knew that, we did know we did, we should know that.
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah, okay, okay.
Speaker 2: So I asked quickly what a double crimp is.
Speaker 6: Oh, that's it.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, big hair, Bigla got.
Speaker 6: Big hair, big double crimped out for Sola hair. So I had been waiting. They crimped my hair and I thought, oh, that was kind of cool. And they even put some lift gloss on me, and you know, I was okay with the overall and the and the you know, past our clothing whatever. There was a big sign that says Danny plus Stiffney, and I was like okay. And then we waited and we waited, and I don't know, they were talking about a bunch of stuff, and then we crimped my hair again and it literally went and then it was like, okay, we gotta get it this, come on, We've got to hurry all of a sudden, which is classic industry, right, you wait, you way, you wait, and then all of a sudden, hurry hurry, I'm like, well, we're not prepared. We went full circle. Now we're not prepared again. So I went on and I was just like, oh my god, I don't like the way I look like. I don't want to say anything because I'm I'm thrilled to be here and I don't know how this really works. But this doesn't really work for me. So the only thing I could do was lean against the wall, cross my legs, not smile, and try to be edgy and cool in my own mind. And that was Danny plus Tiffany, and so I remember when I saw the artwork, I was like, oh, And then when I heard the song didn't do it, I was like, because the artwork because of that air. But actually we had sent it out to radio and it just it wasn't It wasn't happening like we weren't. It wasn't testing well, and so my manager quickly changed it to I think we're low now. The label didn't even know about it, really, and that saved the day. But the funny thing now is in all the shows that I do worldwide, the most requested song is Danny Nobody.
Speaker 4: Isn't that crazy?
Speaker 6: Yeah, it is really crazy. So I make a joke about it when I put it in the show because I do, you know, I kind of I flip around my shows all the time. You never know what you're going to get. I like to keep people wondering, you know. I mean, we have production, but then I have it loose so that I can flip things out. Because a lot of people write to me that they're coming to the next show and I think he was born. They don't want to see the same thing. So I'll taylor make things for the night a little bit, especially for the venue of what I want to do. And I've been recently pulling old cuts that I haven't done in like twenty years, so it's a lot of fun for me. And Danny has been in and out of the show, and everybody goes crazy for it, and I'm like, hold on, did you not get a vote not fly or something? They can it's not bombed and now it's like the most requested song, So I'm having fun with that. Yeah, and I'm couldn't be my hair right nowadays.
Speaker 5: Well, along with changing the single too, I think we're alone. Now, another incredible plan is concocted. Your management team sends you to tour shopping malls around the country. I mean, performing and winning over fans one at a time. It's the revolutionary, the beautiful, you celebrating the good life. Shopping mall tour eighty seven. First question, could they have come up with a longer name?
Speaker 6: Wait? Yeah, I had nothing to do with the name, I think you know again. I was although I had been signed, and although you know, I had the big battle of all the labels wanting to sign me. Once the album was done and delivered, there was just this reluctance to move forward. A lot of people were like, well, where does she perform now? So I started doing clubs in New York, which the music did really well, but I wasn't even allowed to be there, right. I was a minor. So I would go and do my thing, my thirty minutes you know of show, and then I'd have to go out the door. So there was no connection to fans, and we were really struggling, how is this going to cross over? How? You know? It's just it's not working. So almost lost my record deal. They almost shelfed me and It was my A and R guy, Larry Salters at the time, who was walking through the mall with his daughter, and he thought, so smart. They have hair shows and they have fashion shows. Why can't they have music. There's you know, And then they approached me. My management sat down and they said, we're thinking malls. You'll sing in malls. And I was like, well, I'm sang in front of grocery stores, in front of the base. I did all the vfws. I mean I did hoedowns and all these things, backyard parties, so it wasn't like a shocker to me. It was that's where my age group hung out.
Speaker 2: Yes, right the A.
Speaker 6: I was already really at the mall on the weekend, so I was, yeah, I mean that that's where my people are. And I remember doing my first mall. We flew out someplace out in San Francisco and the Bay Area, and literally, of course, the word hadn't gotten out yet. So there's all these chairs and then this little stage and and we just had like a like a you know, a little music system. So it didn't sound, you know, go through the mall too much, but in the direct area it was quite loud and I remember some of the retail stores they were complaining, so I let management deal with that. They weren't happy. They didn't know I was coming. But I remember there was a lot of people that sat in the chairs that were maybe a little elder you know, they just wanted to play it, or like moms that were pregnant just needed a break. And then all of a sudden, I come out. I'm like, I think we're with those now. Oh my god. You know, a few people like again, some of the stores were yelling and screaming. They didn't want us. There was blocking traffic and they didn't want to you know. So I cried a few times in the first part of the mall tour because it was just like, well, I'm really excited to be here and I think this will work. But then they don't want us here. But you know that, just stop a slice of pizza and I was good. I was back on that stage. You're resilient and you know the kid. And then it started to grow to where the radio picked it up, the local news picked it up, and then we would have a couple hundred people and then a couple of thousand people. But the charm of the the mall toor was. I did get to meet people, and I got to talk to my connect with my fan base I loved. Literally, we would there would be a bunch of people behind me and we'd go shopping and look at the stores together, and we'd go and have beats them and I'd be like, oh, I gotta get back, and I'd do another show and then the line would the tribe would grow even bigger until we couldn't do it anymore. But you know, I made lifelong friends. I still have some of my friends from the mall tour, and I think that there was something again magical about that because it really was that connection. I came from country music, where it's all about the fan. Yeah, doing the mall tour was all about the fan. But let's also face it. You know, my age group, you know in the eighties was all about being together. So you know, all three elements just worked for me. You know, I really I missed that. I cried again when we got too big for the mall and we had to go to bigger venues because it was a nice problem to have, but it really was that, you know, I don't know that nostalgia and that feeling of, you know, we're in the mall together and it's just fun and my buddies, you know.
Speaker 1: Well it was also just such a crossover too, because I was so in eighty seven. I was eleven, and so when the video dropped of I think we're alone now in the mall tour, I think every guy my age instantly fell in love with you, like instantly fell in love with you. And it was one of those things where you were essentially probably the first pop star, true pop star that I watched that was. I mean, we weren't the same age, but close enough to where it was like, oh my god, she's at the mall. All my friends are at the mall. She probably sits then go gets an orange Julius.
Speaker 6: Like it did, but she did, Yes you done, good girl, Yes exactly.
Speaker 1: So there was something about it that seeing you not only they're obviously looking stunning, but hearing the music, which was really catchy, but also seeing you at a place that my friends and I go, it just made you so relatable and so like, oh my god, this is somebody I could hang out with, This is somebody I could have a crush on.
Speaker 2: This, So it just it kind of revolutionized.
Speaker 1: The whole what pop music was for somebody my age eleven twelve thirteen, because it was like you're looking at a friend of yours, like you're looking at somebody you would go to school with. And that was something that had never been done before. It was slick without being overly produced, so it just looked like, man, I could hang.
Speaker 2: Out with you. It was the coolest. It was totally the coolest.
Speaker 6: Yeah. Yeah, And I mean as a as an enter, it has really spoiled me because that is kind of the connection that I've wanted with my fans forever consistently. So people come to meet and greets and they're like, oh my gosh, because I always take what you know, we have a writer what's called a writer, and they provide all the meat and cheese or whatever you want. And I always keep the band's portioned separate. But in my meet and greet, I always have like a little green room and chairs, and I bring all the coffees, teas, water, beer, whatever it is, you know, and I sit there and I feed people. The people walk in and I'm like, sit down and take a chair. We're not in it, you know, and they're like uh, and even sometimes the venue is like I'm like, no, it's going to be thirty or forty minute. This is a meet and greet. We're going to hang out, That's what it said. And I'm always like, guy's got a big nut, have some cheese and crackers, you know, have some coffee if you need it, make yourself And people are like, this is I've never had this before, because mostly it's a step and repeating, it's in and out, and I go, no, we're meeting each other like we did on the mall tour. We know you and that, And that's the chuckle thing is because I always go, how are you? What are you doing? I mean, why you were going to talk to me and interview me? You know. Yeah, it's it's I'm spoiled from the mall tour because I got to literally do that even as a kid, go to pizza and and and hear about, oh, I've never been to Albany, New York before, and I you know, I remember talking to some girls and going what's it like here? Like what do you do? I know we have the mall, but like what's the fashion here? And like, you know, and I would go back to small town you know, California, Norwalk, and I'd be like, I just came from Albany's aging here here like that, and then this is the fashion there and my girlfriend being oh really, you know, and I was like, bigger than life.
Speaker 2: But that's that's the thing.
Speaker 1: That's what was so genius about it is, you know, these guys grew up in California, and as a kid from a small town in Connecticut, I'd watch movies growing up that.
Speaker 2: Took place in California.
Speaker 1: There's the beach and all this stuff and which just seemed like it's magical world.
Speaker 2: But a mall is a mall.
Speaker 1: So my mall in Connecticut was the same as the mall here in California. And seeing you play the mall, it was like, oh, you might as well be here in Connecticut with me.
Speaker 2: So really brilliant.
Speaker 3: I have a question because we grew up, you know, when we were working, it was a very controlled situation in terms of location. Right, we're going to set, and so we had three hours of school guaranteed. Like, what were you doing because it sounds like, by the age of ten, were you even going to school anymore? What was happening?
Speaker 6: It was so all through my career. Up until heaving touring, I was attending school, so I used to go to the studio right after school do my homework while they were getting tracks together, and I would be there till two three in the morning, go home, and then go right back to school. So a lot of my vocals were actually recorded at one two in the morning. To get that rasp. My producer would go, what can I do to get that rasp? But it was like pepperoni pizza and no sleep. Oh, so he'd be like, all right, go to sleep for a couple hours. We'll wake you up. Because there was always back then, especially to tape, there was always something to do, and you know, and they were like, you know, splicing things and doing or whatever, recording guitars. I was there the whole process, so you know, sometimes they'd wake me up at one in the morning and I do a vocal and then they would drive me all the way back home. It was an hour back home, and so you know, that's just I wanted to do it. So it wasn't a burden to me. My mom had a harder job because she had to wake me up for school the next morning. But you know, we all made it work. Really it was a process. But then when I started to tour extensively and tour all over the world. I remember were Rolling Stone wanted to cut and do an article on me and I was about, oh, probably about eight months into my tour, and yeah, school had kind of taken a back side a little bit, and they were like, well, we want to show her the day in the life of Tiffany, and then we want to show her with her tutor. And everybody was like, oh, that's a missing part right now. So basically, my drummer, yeah, I mean we were scrambling because you can't go and find one then because you know, I really tip it off. And my drummer was a certified teacher, so he said, look, I will help you guys out, but she really has to be in school with me. I'm not going to put my license and all my credibility in all this, but she should be in school. Yeah, I think we would. We had some like school packets from my high school that were it was lose based, you know, but no, I wasn't really in school for a minute, and so we fixed that. So, yes, my drummer is still one of my besties. His name is Craigie Amic and we called him Big Bird because he's really tall. And yeah, he helped me graduate. I had my packets, and we actually changed me to a private school where I would have these weekly packets to do, and I took my band on all of my field trips. We went all over the place. I love history. I love geography for that reason because I was living it and you know, and so I just drug everybody on field trips with me. And then, you know, we tailored a lot of my curriculum to being on the road. I got to write a lot of essays and things like that. But yeah, I did graduate. I did graduate.
Speaker 5: You mentioned the fashion and your style was such a crucial part of the Tiffany story. You dressed like all of us dressed at the mall, jean jackets, oversized sweaters, leggings, scrunchies.
Speaker 4: Was that also your real life wardrobe at the time or did you have a different style? Okay, no, that was really I.
Speaker 6: Mean, I've always loved black, I've always loved again. As I started to find the rockers, Stevie Nicks, I always loved the shawls and all that, you know, So that was a big part of me, but girls my age weren't really wearing that. You know, it was hard to find that. I remember when I found my first actual like shawl. It was in Charlotte Rouths and my dad but I still have it. Actually loved Chares, so my dad bought it. He was like, what, how are you going to wear this? Like, you know, I said, yeah, Stevie Hicks, I have to have this. So I ended up like being in my bedroom like twirling around doing all Stevie's moves. So it was a thing and I still have it. It's like a it's a value piece for me. But jean jackets that was the thing. You know. Randy Saint Nicholas made me the jean jacket girl by a safe literally she had it in the car. But that was the fashion. You know. What I wore before that was, you know again Vans tennis shoes, feathered hair. You know, I was just you know, just kind of like regular teas. And I had to have my Jordash jeans. That was a big thing. So that it's just jam big hoop earrings. We haven't changed there, guys. And you know it's funny now full circle for me because I'm launching a jacket line now off of my online boutique called Radical Reds. So for charity, I actually trick out your jacket. They're all one of a kime custom You can order a zoom package with me and you get to zoom like this with me, and basically there's like four styles. But then we trick it out for you, your colors, your grammity, and we do custom made patches is and I raise money for Children's Miracle Network. Because I've been working with the charity for a while and then being so extensive on the tours all the time, I thought, oh gosh, what can I do to keep it up. I can't do the concerts, I can't be in Florida of all the places that we really you know, kind of do hands on stuff. I thought, hmm, I can go back to making jackets. That would be a lot of fun. And I'm really good at it because I mean that's what we did, right, make jackets. So so I paint, I tie die, I do all of that. I stitch, I do the lacing, and then I've partnered with another girl here, so we've been real successful with raising a lot of money, even even just recently on the top of this year, I've been banging out those jackets and it's a lot of fun, and it does remind me of the eighties. Yeah, it reminds me of the kid in myself. And then now as i'm you know, I just went to Vegas and saw the new kids on the block. Wanted to make sure I saw their show. It's amazing. But then those are my girls, you know, the blockheads are my girls as well, and they're all sitting there with their jean jackets and their leather jackets, and I'm all, girl, I could check that out for you. I can do that. Talk to me later, let zoom. But you know, it's it's great because, I mean, there was just something so magical about the eighties. I don't know really what it is. It's not just the music, it's not just the mall, it's not just the fashion. There was this connection. I think, like you're saying, it didn't matter if you were California or New York. Somehow we were all living it together. It just there was that connection you just knew, even though you didn't know, you know, it was like and I don't know that that's ever happened again. It was a special.
Speaker 2: Everything was big.
Speaker 1: Everything was big, big hair, big jackets, big shoulder pads, big music. Everything in the eighties was big, and it was just it was there's something kind of wonderful about that.
Speaker 2: It's like the bigger, the better.
Speaker 6: It was great and unique. I mean, you could be as wild as you wanted to be, yeah, or you know, for me, I always look at me and think I was pretty plain, although I wasn't. But for me compared to you know, people that I met later on, like Adam Ann or Cyndi Laupper, you know, or even like Billie Idol, you know, I was like, oh wow, that's cool. Eric a costume, you know, and it's like, but it's not really it's them, you know. And I was like, oh wow, cool different colored hair. And I always wanted to do more of that, and of course I was highly discouraged from changing anything as I wanted to grow up. I wanted to experiment with makeup. Oh no, I wanted to change my hair color. Oh no. You know, they were like, you just have to be the Tiffany doll for forever, and that wasn't really doable for me. I don't think that it was you know, really gonna keep happening for a young girl because I saw my friends going in different directions and fashion was changing, and you know, as a young girl, you want to be a little bit more, you know, hot and sexy and try different things. And finally, when I did do that, a new inside I totally rebelled. Changed my hair. It was like purple black color and Boostia's came out.
Speaker 7: Oh yeah, what I do.
Speaker 1: Now when you're having all the success, are you able to have any semblance of a real life?
Speaker 2: Can you date and you know, hang out with your friends?
Speaker 1: Were you Were you able to just kind of live the life of a fifteen or sixteen year old of any sense of normalcy or no?
Speaker 6: I did? I think that I did to some degree. I mean I really loved Tori and being on the road, and I love my band, and I love what I was doing. I think I've always just been grateful to be able to do it. So to me, that was my first love and my first passion. So going back home, I missed my family. I miss my little sisters, but I also got to bring them on the road here and there. You know, I think in my household there was a lot of problems there was a lot of alcoholism, there was a lot of divorces, chaos. So although I missed my family, I didn't miss that, and being on the road, for me felt safer. It was a more happier place to be, and I was, you know, I was comforted there when I would go home. Although you're always torn, especially being the daughter of an alcoholic, you always feel like you have to have that responsibility. I worried a lot, but then in a couple of days, you know, being home, I would wilt. I just get like kind of depressed. Again. I love my family, but you know, people were making choices that I couldn't control. And by that time I had other options a place to be. When I was really young and I hadn't you know, gotten the music deal, I literally was like sitting outside listening to Joan Jet, you know, listening to bad reputation, going one day, that's it, I'm going to leave this, you know, and and kind of running away into music from the chaos in my home. Music was really my therapy. It was my comforter, was all of those things. So you know, once I got successful, I was like, you know, I really just rather be on tour, like you know, I'd rather be with my band. It's happier, you know. I think I kind of also got to a point where I was like, I can't control this, like, you know, I can't make decisions for people, and I hope my family gets healthier sometimes, you know. I look back at that time, it got worse just some degree, because there was money and there was pain, and there was more pressure on my family, and then people of course were poking their nose and that's when I had the emancipation and all of that. And for me, it was never like I got bigger than my parents, and I wanted to just say screw them. It really was. I couldn't do bold. I couldn't be touring the world and all the expectation and all of that and coming home to a chaotic, not changing environment. So I wanted to go live with my grandmother at the time, which eventually I did do. But my mom, of course, had always really depended on me. You know, I was the oldest of the three girls, and you know, she kind of in her own way depended on me to always be there, and so she didn't really want to let me go, you know, and it took her a long time to kind of let me go live with my grandmother. And it took all that ugly emancipation stuff, which got so crazy really because you know, obviously you've got attorneys and then they start doing things that you didn't really authorize and becomes their battle, you know, to some degree, and I was like, oh no, I I'm not thinking that way, and it's like we've got to win this, and I'm like, well, this is my family as well. Hold on a second, you know. So I think I learned a lot there as well, being a celebrity and having all your mess aired out. I try now to you know, talk it out. It's better to talk it out in person. But my family actually got really healthy. My mom did get sober after all of that, and so it was kind of like, you know, sometimes things have to get really ugly to you know, to force a change. So you know, I mean, it was really awful at the time, but you know, in the long run, it became the healthier thing to do. She did get sober, and she's a great grandmother to my today. Actually as we're talking was the day she passed away, so earlier today. Every year, my sister and I my sisters and I and now my whole family. I have two a niece and a nephew, an extended family. We've I've moved them all to Nashville. We go and have donuts in the morning at coffee and donuts and membrance of my mom because that was her jam donuts and we taught mom stories, you know, and it's really great to have that end of her life positivity and that she got it together and was very present in all of our lives. And yeah, it's a beautiful thing. So very happy about that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so the mall tour plan works. The single I Think We're Alone now hits number one on the Billboard chart. Your mall tour is successful. You do sixty shows as part of the mall tour, then you go on the Tonight show. You're selling out stadiums. And you had quite the openers on that tour with a little group out of Boston called New Kids on the Block. You fought for them to give them that huge opportunity. What were they like, pre fame, just trying to make it on the road.
Speaker 6: Well, actually, I mean there really was no fight. I got in trouble after the call that I made, But you know. I was at a venue in New York actually, and for my opening act, we couldn't think of one that really fit, some people, said a comedian. I said, well, what's funny to like a sixteen year old? Isn't going to be funny to a twelve year old? And yeah, I don't know. And then we had tried a few other artists and it just wasn't really worse game. So I didn't have anybody, and they just play like you know, eighties music, and people would show up, and so you know, that's not great. You need an opening act, you know. So we were looking for somebody, and my agent had just signed new kids on the block, so he brought them to meet me, and my manager happened to not be there that day. And it was my best friend used to go on the road with me in this summertime, my girlfriend, Sanita, you come up on the road with me. So I had somebody my age and we were backstage having lunch, and is isn't there actually don't? I just know. I think there's footage of the first show, but I know if there's backstage footage.
Speaker 1: There's some footage that I saw one time of them almost like auditioning for you new kids on the block.
Speaker 6: Now, I didn't take that footage, I know. I know that I did it. Maybe they did, I don't know, but I know they came back, and of course John like, hey, I just signed these guys. I'm thinking it might be a good fit. You know. I wanted them to meet you, you know, and I you know, if you're out for it, they'd like to do a number, you know. I know that George isn't here, and I was like, okay, you know, and they came in and it was like five really cute guys, you know, and Anita was like yeah, you know, and then they put the bump box down, you know, and they started doing I think it might have been Hanging Tough or I think it might have been hanging dead or the right stuff. It was one of the earlier songs. Sorry guys, I can't remember, but I mean they had all the moves and every and then they were really nice, you know, and I just was like, that makes sense to me. I mean they were I love the songs, I love the moves, I love you know, they seem really nice. And so I said, well, again, there's that country music element in me. If you want to do something, do it right now. You know, if you want to sing, you'll get up and sing right now. So that's where I came from. So I was like, look, I don't have anybody opening up for me tonight, so why don't we try it? You have your tracks, you know. They were like really, I was like yeah. So they went out there and they opened the show, and I just heard all these girls backstage gaming and I was like, yay, I did a good thing. I think this is going to work out. You know, it just makes sense really, And then I remember the next day, I got the phone call. You don't make decisions like that, you know, what, are you crazy? Like, you know, there's there's legalities here, there's things to negotiation, and I was like, oh, look that's the business side. I don't know. But it worked, yeah, Like and and you know, I kind of felt great helping another artist, you know, out, another group out because everybody needs to start, you know. So I never regret my decision. You know, I get a lot of girls now go thank you so much. I'm like, well, thank you, I mean you guys. I think Also, the New Kids really impressed me that night that they could have said, oh, well, we don't, you know, we're not ready, you know, but they were on it, and so they had my respect right away. I could see they wanted to do it. They loved music, They just wanted to shine. They too, were grateful for the opportunity, just like me. So we were speaking the same language. And then when they came on the road, it was fun to have people my own age, you know, it was a lot of fun. We had a lot of pizza parties, lots of pepperoni pizza and singing at the back of the bus. We were all singing like I used to jam to like Guy and oh gosh, oh, tons and tons of and we used to dance moves. And then the next year I brought dancers on with me, so there was a gang of us, you know, young young inns at the time.
Speaker 4: So when do you start working on the second album?
Speaker 6: Right after the first album? So the first album took me a year to record, and then of course you have all the pressure to follow that up. So the second album was very rushed. We did it in between touring, because I toured from America, I went on to Europe, then I went onto Asia and I just didn't stop for almost two and a half years. I wasn't really home. If I was, I was sleeping. It was like, you know, again, touring, touring, touring, and then of course we had to record the album, so it was very rushed. I wasn't crazy about a lot of the songs on the second album, and I voiced my opinion, which caused problems with the management. My producer, you know, because again he looked at it as you don't know anything, you know what, you're a producer now, you know, you're just a kid, like you know, And I was like, I'm not a producer, but I'm a I am this, I'm a.
Speaker 4: Music buyer, I'm the target demo, I'm.
Speaker 6: Their age group. And I can tell you that my friends wouldn't think this is cool.
Speaker 3: It's also just so interesting that like he wouldn't be open to your input considering you're you're a growing person, Like you're going to start having your own taste and learning what you like, and that's your job as an artist and as a person is to get older and stand up for yourself. It seems like you would have to welcome that because it's going to happen. You're going to grow, you're going to have your own voice.
Speaker 6: No, it wasn't like that, so, you know, I mean just I mean, I think that's that, you know, I would try to express my opinion, and I think for him, for you know, for George, it was really I've been doing this a long time, and you know, obviously I was right because look who you are now. So for you to come back and start telling me how this is going to work is like not going to work out for it. There's you know, and and you know, I think maybe that's a decision later on that might he might have regretted a little bit. You know, he's known to be a little stubborn. We're still friends, you know, he's a family member. Now we've had our ins and outs and everything, and I think, you know, talking to him sometimes he goes, hey, you know, even my own kids, I should listen more. You know, you live and you learn, you know. But at that time, I was really, you know, I was really struggling with it because I just wasn't crazy about a lot of the material. And then I would actually go out and perform it and it would flop. So I was like, oh, now I got to stick with some of these songs that aren't really working and I told you so kind of thing. The ballads I always loved. I think we picked some really great ballads on that album, and I still enjoy singing those today. So and then a lot of other of those ballads made hits in other territories, like in the Philippines and other marketplaces South Africa. So I think the second album, what it did do in a weird way, was broad in my fan base, but there weren't those hits on the charts like the first album, So of course you get the critics going, oh, oh, one hit, wonder now she's over with Goodbye Beza somewhere, you know, disappear, disappear from the second.
Speaker 5: The second album was called Hold an Old Friend's Hand, and it did go platinum.
Speaker 4: I'd like to say, I mean a flop. I mean, come come on.
Speaker 5: I mean, I understand that when you're trying to compare it to the success of the first album, but that also seems a bit like an impossible task to try and hold up to something that's really a once in a lifetime experience.
Speaker 4: So I mean, it definitely was not a flop.
Speaker 5: And there have always been talk about your insane fame in Asia?
Speaker 4: What was what was that?
Speaker 6: Like? It continues on. I just did my Spotify rap for twenty five and Philippines is number one territory. So it was number two the year before and this year this past number one, so we're coming back to the field. It's always been like that. I mean, I've always loved touring Asia, and I think again nostalgia there just they just embrace it full heart. You know, it's not like, oh, well yeah from thirty years ago. They're still just like loving your music. It's just it's part of their life. I don't know how to say it. And you know, every time I go there, I've been to so many countries there, and you know, the connection with the fans is just amazing. They're just crying a lot of ballads. Like I said, there's a lot of love for ballads there, and I think that's the difference. Especially in a lot of the places like Singapore, they go, oh, the voice, Tiffany the voice, rather than Tiffany, I think we're low now the girl that does that, I am that, But to them, I'm the voice. I'm this singer that sings all these wonderful, beautiful balanced, sappy songs that make them cry. And I love that actually too, So you know, I love that they see me, they saw me and they heard my voice because for so long, especially in America, I had to be no, I'm singing live, this is on, this is me, you know, and I think sometimes it got into my head where I wasn't really just able to have fun because I was so worried about critics saying, oh, she's manufactured, she's not a real singer. And for me, that was like my kryptonite literally because I grew up from country music listening to real singers, real songwriters, real performers, and you know, for somebody to go, oh, she's just a one hit wonder some young girls, she can't really sing that it's been man, I mean that was like, what, you know, that is so not me. I am a singer through and through. I may not be the best dancer, I may not even be the best performer. But I can sit here in front of you and sing. That is what I do. So I you know, it really got you know, into my into my spirit a little time. You know sometimes that I was just like, and I'm just going to sing. I'm just going to show them I could really sing, and I was so wrapped up in reviews and critics and people knowing that I was singing live that sometimes I wish I was just having fun. Because the fans were already there. I didn't have to really prove that to them. They wanted a moment with me, you know. So you know now, I think I live in the best of both worlds. I think people do know that I can sing. I've done so many different genres of music, which is intentional. I have fun with music now. I do what I want to do, and I sing the songs that I want to sing. And of course I always think I think Rolanel could have been all this time. But it's really cool, all these years later for people still to be writing, oh my gosh, I didn't know you could like that.
Speaker 8: I'm like, well, still trying to get the word out there, and it's awesome that you know that I'm still able to do it.
Speaker 6: It's awesome that you know that people are still paying attention. So and I love my fans that go, you know, you sound like the record, but better, your tone is better, like your range is better, and you've just gotten you know, you were always my singer, but you've just gotten better, and that, to me really makes my night. It really does. That's when I feel like, you know, ah, okay, this is it's fun. This is fun because they've seen my talent.
Speaker 2: I have a question for you.
Speaker 1: I know you were arguably one of the biggest busiest people on the planet at the time eighties eighty nine, but do you recall ever being on a Nickelodeon show called Don't Just Sit There?
Speaker 6: Oh? Oh, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I'm pretty sure you were on my show back in the eighties.
Speaker 6: Oh, probably, Yeah, I did. I did a ton of shows.
Speaker 1: And I googled it and I was like, was she on Don't Just Sit There? And I think you were, so I'd love to try to find that.
Speaker 6: Yes, we should find that. I mean, to be honest with you, before I even had the record deal, I was. I did a lot of like B movies, I was an extra and a lot of stuff I did. I was like a background dancer for Kids Incorporated.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I did.
Speaker 6: That's when I was doing all of this. She's got to be a dancer, she's got to be a model. I took acting lessons with Jason Bateman from his dad. I did all these things, and I'd love to find that footage because it was like me and so let Moonfry. We were in the trailer with the teacher and I was only like eleven doing that kind of stuff, you know, being a Hollywood kid. I remember going to auditions and literally turning up and it was like Mario Lopez, Ricky Martin, Martique, myself and I mean me, Laura Harden, I like all these people together and then we all made it. I mean again, I don't know what that is. A We're very talented people and very dedicated people. But I also want to say that, you know, I don't know individually all their stories, but there was again something about the eighties that you know, people would say I'm going to make you a star, and they just like did it, followed it through. I don't know if that was selfish or their own claim to fame or money. I don't know, but all these people that I was literally doing auditions with became famous. What are the odds of all of that? I mean, I did auditions with them, used to hang on the hallway reading sides with them. Oh my god. I used to go to like birthday parties with them like after and all our parents would get together, so funny, you know, and we were all wanting to be you know, big, big and famous. We loved what we were doing.
Speaker 5: Wow, well, Tiffany, you have been able to survive and thrive this wild ride, releasing handfuls of studio albums, famously appearing on How I Met Your Mother, continuing to tour, If you could go back in time and give one piece of advice to young Norwalk Tiffany, maybe just on one of those very first mall tour shows. What piece of advice would you give her?
Speaker 6: Oh? Wow, you know I mean for me, and this is just being critical for myself. I loved I would have loved to have learned to play an instrument really well, to take that time for myself, because you know, I'm now learning and it's not as easy as an adults. It's just not something that just comes naturally to me. But it is a goal of mine to actually be able to play piano and sing my balance. That's something I want to do. So I probably would have said, wait, there's a step here. You know, I want you to learn piano. I want you to be able to be self sufficient. When you're writing songs. So that was a big thing for me. I wanted to be a songwriter. So I did take that time, came back to Nashville when my son was very young, and did nothing but that. I plugged myself into the Nashville songwriting community and just said, I want to be a songwriter. I want to be accepted as a songwriter, not for me, but as I want to make the cut. And I did that. So that is one of my proudest achievements for myself, because again, all of my idols were songwriters, so for me, that would probably the one thing that I went mister step you should have learned piano. Speaking of Debbie Gibson, you know, she plays beautifully and I love that when we've you know, done work together and you know, she goes to the piano and she plays, and I'm just like, oh, it's lovely. It's lovely to have that gift. I don't think I would change too much about me or my personality or my you know, the things that I've went through at all. I'm very much always looking forward to things rather than in the back. And I think everything that I've went through has always made me an old soul and that's okay, and very compassionate person because you know, I have this thing about all my friends. Listen, I'll never judge you, but if you know, if it's not good, we're not staying here. So don't call me because I'm a very proactive person. But I will get into the fire and in the flames with you and you won't hear me complaining. But we are going forward. I'm very much that person. So you know, I think all of the things that I went through maybe that person, and I think it's so needed in life, rather you're a celebrity or just you know, it's just an aunt. You know, people need to be encouraged, they need to be loved, they need to be accepted, you know, and they need to be celebrated sometimes, you know. So I mean, I think that's kind of what I try to do through my music and the people that I meet as my fans, but the people I work with as well, and of course my family will make me everything. So there's not too much to change, you know. I think if I had to go back and tell the little girl myself, I'd say, keep going, sister, you know, just write it out, don't even if when people give up on you or they say it's prove them wrong. Do it if you love it and live your life and a story.
Speaker 4: I love that. Where can people find you?
Speaker 6: Now?
Speaker 4: Where can where can we support you? And how can we support you?
Speaker 6: Tunes dot Com for all things tip world, you can go. That's my main hub, and that'll take you to radical Reds and all the jacket zooms that I do. I do have my own spice line out coming out with my own cookbook this year called pop Life, which really talks about the toying and my foodie love of all my travels. Everywhere I've went, I've always went to local businesses. I like to eat outside the hotel and see what's what's really going on in people's lives. And that's how you really get to know the culture and you know your travels. So that is reflected in the cookbook. But the cookbook is about eighties foods, all reworked, all legit for the adult kitchen now, so a lot of fun back to the eighties. Stofers Pizza reworked. We've got our puffy cheesy burgers, our mac and cheese. We were my favorite, which was chicken pop pie when I would get home from you know, school, my mom always had one, but I've made it my Mexican chicken pop pie. Being from East LA, got to have a little bit of something going on, and so I have my own spices as well that I'm uh, you know, I partner with a lot of restaurants and they're professionally bottled out of Flagler Beach and now I'm just working some food as well. Love it.
Speaker 5: Thank you so much for joining us. Thank you for sharing your story and your time with us. It's always a pleasure to see you.
Speaker 6: Thank you guys, everybody. Thanks guys.
Speaker 4: What an amazing story.
Speaker 3: Ye one, an amazing story. She's so I love that she's such a people person and she's so like down to earth that when she had this like meteoric a moment, it wasn't now I can ignore everybody and be a superstar. It was like, well, how do I connect to more people?
Speaker 6: How can you know?
Speaker 3: It's like when she lost when the mall tour became the stadium door, it sounds like, but what about all my friends? Yes, that's like such an inversion of what probably most people would think. You know, if you've worked that hard, for you know, but it obviously was always about connecting. For her, it was always about human and entertainment, and like the fact that she was singing to get there was just kind of a side effect of like wanting to have people. It's so cool.
Speaker 1: It's also just a bygone era because the idea that she's got a manager is like, we're gonna crash this record label. Just don't let the security stop. You hit the button and start singing. Now you just go on social media, you put up.
Speaker 3: Your own page.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, it's the easiest thing in the world with there like gorilla style running into these record labels and just having her sing.
Speaker 2: That's great.
Speaker 3: But she's so right that that is like a bygone era that there used to be this whole industry of like men yea, all men who would just like swoop in for like child talent and be like, I'm gonna make you a stop and then they just like force that, just make it happen and emuld It's like that's crazy. That was like a whole industry was people doing that and saying that. I mean, even when we talked like Nobody's Angel, it's like they were kind of always looking for that person and it kept changing and like who the manager is? Who the Oh my god, what a weird thing.
Speaker 2: Like I remember when I was eleven or twelve, she was everywhere.
Speaker 3: No, yeah, ifany was everywhere the first I remember being like addicted to like I had to keep period at that summer or whatever.
Speaker 1: She was so cute and it was like the perfect pop star. And again you watch her a mall and it was like, that's like where I'm from.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 2: It was such a brilliant concept.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know.
Speaker 4: I mean Orange Julia sounded like it was her mall go to? What was your mall? Food court go to?
Speaker 2: Well, Orange Julius, Oh god, oh Orange.
Speaker 4: Writer, did you have the mall go to?
Speaker 2: How about you can express express?
Speaker 4: Yeah, kankat chickgress.
Speaker 2: Can I make a suggestion for our next pod Mets World Live. It's a mall tour.
Speaker 6: There's no malls really.
Speaker 2: Left in the world, but.
Speaker 6: All tour.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, that's actually a really brilliant idea. But we will all to it.
Speaker 9: Like middle of the day, like twelve year twelthy court in the food court and so like they'll be like a signed seating, but there will also just be seats for the people who walking by, just like I need to take a break.
Speaker 2: Just there to eat lunch. Yeah, that's amazing.
Speaker 4: I love it. Well, you're a genius.
Speaker 5: Thank you all for joining us for this episode of Pod Meets World. As always, you can follow us on Instagram pod meets World Show. You can send us your emails pod meets World Show at gmail dot com.
Speaker 4: And we've got merch.
Speaker 2: I need some more merch now there doesn't seem to be enough around merch.
Speaker 4: Pod Meets Worldshow dot com will send us out.
Speaker 2: We love you all, pod dismissed.
Speaker 1: Pod Meets World isnheart podcast producer and hosted by Danielle Fischel, Wilfordell and Ryder Strong. Executive producers Jensen Parp and Amy Sugarman exc I can give in charge of production Danielle Romo, producer and editor, Tara Sudbasch, producer, Maddie Moore, engineer and Boy Meets World super fan Easton Allen. Our theme song is by Kyle Morton of Typhoon and you can follow us on Instagram at podmets World Show or email us at Podmets Worldshow at gmail dot com.