Speaker 1: Welcome into Northside Territory File Territory Networks Cubs Podcast. I'm Sahadev Sharma with my partner Patrick Mooney, and if you're watching us on YouTube, you see that we have a third host with us a guest today, John Lester, world champion, multiple world champion, John Lester. Thanks so much for joining us. John, How are you doing. How's the ten year reunion stuff going? How how crazy has this year been so far? And are you looking forward to getting back to Wrigley and being honored soon.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's been great.
Speaker 3: I mean we obviously started off with a bang in January with the Cubs con and all that stuff, and it's great to get back and see the guys and you know, get up to Chicago and all that stuff. So Cubs have done a great job with all that stuff obviously, and you know, I look forward to getting up there in a few weeks.
Speaker 2: I got a busy few weeks with.
Speaker 3: With kids, travel baseball, and then becoming in hot to the to the to the reunion on the seventeenth or eighteenth whenever it is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that travel baseball, you're in your life, but I know that, go ahead.
Speaker 4: Patrick, Yeah, I was gonna say, what's your your UBER rating now as a driver?
Speaker 2: Still so five?
Speaker 3: No, no, it's far from five star. I think if they could, they'd give me negatives. I haven't even got to zero yet.
Speaker 2: It's bad.
Speaker 4: We you know, we we we've been looking to have you know, a former Cups player on and you know, to do this more more regularly. And you know, we thought of you as a great fit because you know, people asked us like, oh, what's what's so and so like, and you know, obviously you had a great reputation with people behind the scenes and side. And I would laugh about is like, you know, you'd be in the clubhouse and you'd always have your game face on and if one of us will go up to to like, hey you got a minute, and sometimes you'd be like.
Speaker 5: What you got?
Speaker 4: Like you know, like you know, you're always in a hurry, and then we'd wind up talking for like twenty minutes almost every time. And you know, I was wondering, you know, looking at this, you know kind of ten year reunion, do you think do you or do people maybe appreciate it a little more? Like how how hard it was? I feel like, you know, those last several years in Chicago, it was like, you know, when's the next one gonna happen? And I think you kind of really, I don't know, I certainly came away from it like just how hard it is to do what you guys did.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean I think that was kind of repeated in the clubhouse from the players a lot. You know, after sixteen, you know, we we'd make a run and then come up short, and seventeen and eighteen, and you know even in nineteen and you know, you realize that to get to that, to that end game, the end of the season game where you know, trophies on the line, it's very difficult and a lot of things have to go your way.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: Obviously a topic of today will be injuries. I mean, you need to be pretty injury free for the majority of that year with your you know, kind of your core guys, and not to take away from you know, maybe the platoon guys or the guys that maybe don't get as much attention on a day to day basis, because you definitely need those guys as well. But when your core guys are hurt, it makes that run even harder and then you need a little bit of luck you know, you need to get hot at the right time. You need your pictures to you need you need your pitchers and your hitters to be you know, to be linked up and en rolling at the right times, especially in the playoffs, you know, And that's a that's a big, big part of it. Yeah, man, it's hard. It's not easy. If it was easy, you would see the same team winning every year, or the same teams winning every year. But luckily that's not the case. You get new new contenders in there every year.
Speaker 1: John. Obviously, your career with the Cubs was was special and and you had a lot of highs. I was just looking at the numbers. Uh, you did get off to that slow start when you signed the big contract. You come to a new city, a lot of pressure obviously.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: You figured it out pretty quickly though, but that first month, I don't I mean, I remember the slow start, I don't remember the fan reaction quite as much, but kind of Yeah, can you kind of talk about the the pressure you felt, the idea of Obviously we were watching Alex Bregman struggle right now, A huge contract, huge pressure, all that stuff that's happened that probably happened to you. Different guy, different situation, but still, uh, maybe there was more pressure on you because it was about like lifting this curse and being part of, like being this huge key to THEO and Jed's plan to break this curse in Chicago or whatever you want to call it long drought, if you don't want to call it a curse, Yeah, can you can you kind of describe walk us through the emotions and what you were feeling in that first month when things weren't going the way you wanted and you know how good you can be and it just wasn't happening on the field at that point in time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, I think for a picture it gets a little harder. You know, at least a position player, you get to get in there every night and try to right the ship. I guess. Yeah, I mean that first month was probably one of the longest months I've ever I've ever had in the big leagues. You know, you I wanted the season. I wanted the season total numbers in April as opposed to just doing what I've always kind of said in my career is like, hey, if I just do my job every five days, show up, pitch the innings, and give my team a chance win, then the numbers will be fine at the end of the year.
Speaker 2: And you know, you lose sight sometimes of.
Speaker 3: Who you are and what you've done in the track record and that sort of thing. So I think for Bregman, I don't want to speak for him. I don't know him very well. I've met him a few times. I think he might just be pressing a little bit, uh, you know, and wanting wanting to be bragman, wanting to hit you know, whatever that two seventy to two ninety with twenty five thirty homers or whatever he's hit the last couple of years. You know, he wants to hit that four run homer or the four home runs before his first at bat. Like I said, I don't want to speak for him. I don't know what he's going through. He may be banged up a little bit. We don't know that, but you know, I know he's definitely out there grinding and he's definitely, you know, giving it everything he has. That doesn't make the fans any happier, you know, they want a product, you know, but hopefully he can he can kind of hold on and that where he's at right now, and then maybe we get hot here in the next month or so, and you know, beat bragman like numbers towards.
Speaker 2: The end of the season. Yeah, that's absolutely the hope.
Speaker 1: Let's Patrick, Let's take a quick break before we get back to John.
Speaker 6: Here he see Geek is MLB's official ticket marketplace, and in addition to finding every single game on the MLB calendar, there are big events coming up soon.
Speaker 5: There's an All Star game. There's a home run derby. And if you think you're perfect and you can pick the right seat at the home run derby to get the most home run balls, you can get the little green dot and that might be your lucky seat. Don't go red dot, though, because you might not get any balls, but go redgreen dot and get as many home run balls as you think you can catch.
Speaker 6: Yep, you click the seat, you check out what your view is. Each tickets rated on a scale of one to ten, so you know you're getting a good deal. And that's what AJ's talking about. Green good, red bad. With those dots and the code for you territory one zero for ten percent off your next set of tickets at Sea Geek. That's ten percent off any MLB tickets with promo code Territory ten. Make sure you click the link in the description of this episode that'll help you download the app and get the code automatically added to your account so that you can use it later.
Speaker 2: Thank you to see geek.
Speaker 4: John. I was just curious, when you look back on that start, what kind of got you through it? Because on the position player side, Bregman, you know, Jed was obsessed with this guy for a couple of free agent cycles in the same way that you know THEA one said, I was ready to soak myself and dear your and to sign John Lester, Like what did what? What did like you know, when you're kind of going home at night or leaving the park or you know, showing up every day, how did you kind of just push through it and let your like natural talents come out.
Speaker 3: I think Rossie was a big part of that. We had a I know we were at home. I don't remember what start it was, but he came in and he yelled at me and was like, hey man, you know you can't pitch the seventh inning before the first inning. You know you need to you need to relax, you need to you know, not worry about you know, it's easier said than done when it's not you, right, like when Rossie's yelling at me, he's not worried about living up to one hundred and fifty five million dollars, you know. So the biggest line, the biggest line that I took from, you know, the whole interaction was he's like, hey, listen, if you suck, then I get taken out of the game.
Speaker 2: So I want my third at bat. And I was like, well, that's okay.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's allid point, so you know, that kind of relaxed and just realize like, hey, we've done this. It's it's it's not hard to just go out and compete and quit worrying about living up to six years before we've even gotten to the first month. And that was the biggest The biggest thing for me was just trying to you know, I didn't want to be everybody. You know, when I signed a deal, everybody's talking about what was it going to be a bust?
Speaker 2: Or is it going to be this? Is it going to be that? And you definitely or I definitely didn't want to be the bust.
Speaker 3: So I think that was just the added pressure of Okay, I want to make sure that THEO gets rewarded for this contract and Tom and the city of Chicago, and.
Speaker 2: It's a it's a lot, it's a it's a lot of added things.
Speaker 3: And you know, once we had that conversation, it kind of really relaxed me. And I think in the next that was towards the end of April. I believe in the next couple of weeks I got my first win there, and then it was kind of like, all right, say, once you get the out of the way, you know, you kind of settle in as a pitcher. I know as a hitter it's probably a little bit different, but yeah, I mean it's hard. It's it's you as a competitor. And I know Bregman enough and competed against him enough.
Speaker 2: I know that.
Speaker 3: You know, he's down there grind and he's working and he's trying to figure it out. You know, I see watch games and see highlights and stuff, and I mean he's not giving up defensively, he's still making great plays. You know, he's saving runs that way, So he's at least you know, he's giving you everything he has, even though he's not really hitting to the bragman status, right now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So with as April wrapped up of the twenty fifteen you had an ERA over six May. First you made a start, you went seven shutout against the Brewers, and from that point on you had a sub three ERA for that season. I think everyone who remembers your career with the Cubs knows how like you had a great twenty fifteen overall, so that that April quickly got put in the rear rear view mirror. That was a pretty impressive Cubs career as far as anyone's concerned. And with one of the things that is a holdover from that time, one of the people that's currently with the club is Tommy Hotteby. He was kind of behind the scenes back then. But the Cubs love to kind of trumpet their pitching infrastructure. They've done a good job. They've built out a good group of guys, obviously different from you know, you had Chris Bosio and different people behind the scenes helping you guys out, but Tommy was there obviously rose to a different role now pitching coach. I'm curious what you saw behind the scenes from Tommy, what what kind of helped, whether it was younger guys, I know, you and I've had chats about how much the group helped out Kyle Hendricks and what he figured out in that. I believe it was the twenty sixteen season when he really figured some things out. But how important are the behind the scenes things that are going on? Especially nowadays? It feels like a decade ago it maybe wasn't, as you know, it didn't impact pitching as much as it does now. It seems like there's so much more that pitchers go through and can the tiniest things with whether it's you know, all the info that they have, all the tech that they have, it seems like they can tweak everything and maybe change things quicker than they used to back in the day. But what did you see from Tommy in that group.
Speaker 2: Thing with him?
Speaker 3: As he was always prepared, You knew what you were getting from him as far as the information you know, and to your point, I want to hit on it before I get sidetracked. But the analytical side of pitching has gotten as far as and you know, I know I was hard headed when I played about the analytical side of pitches. And you know, okay, if you throw this pitch in this zone, it has this percentage of getting hit or whatever.
Speaker 2: I didn't like that aspect of it.
Speaker 3: But on the mechanical side of the of the pitching now, with the analytical and the biomechanics and all the stuff that these guys have access to, I think would have been huge for me just being a mechanical and a field person in that aspect, you know, to be able to go, okay, well, my.
Speaker 2: Landing foot is.
Speaker 3: X degrees open when I land, and as good of a pitching coaches there are in the big leagues, you can't tell that it's you know, one degree open when you land right. So now you have that information, you have a baseline. You can go back and be like, all right, well this is what's causing me to be a little bit rotational, or this is why my utters flat or whatever. So I do like that aspect of where the technology of the game is gone. You know, as far as the people behind the scenes, I think that they don't get enough credit for the time I put in. You know, they're there before the players, they're there after the players. The life that they live is is beyond demanding that you know, hardly get any praise for what you know, what they do when the players don't perform, they're the first ones to get fired. And you know that kind of is that that whole hierarchy of of things that you know, I don't necessarily agree with, but we won't go down that road anyway. Yeah, I mean, I like, I think Tommy crazy part is is you know, you're you're getting towards the end of your career when you're you know, your coaches are guys you played with, you know, so that was a little you know, even when Rossi was there, that was a little weird, you know, having somebody that I competed against and with that is now telling you, you know, what to do and what pitches to throw and and all that aspect of it. But you know, I think I think he's done a great job with that whole analytical side of of you know, hot and cold zones and how where to attack guys. And you know, like I said, to go back to my original point, prepared. If you know a coach is prepared and giving you even if you don't necessarily fully agree with the information he's given you, you know that he's put in the time and the effort, and that makes your decision, you know, making process out on the mound a little bit easier.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I do think that's kind of a The cups have changed a little lot obviously since since you were there, John, But I think some of that pitching stuff kind of what Mike Borsello and Chris Bosio you know, started. Yeah, obviously that helped get the trade. Yeah, it's very, very very old school. But I think that and uh and the and the the great defense as well. I think that was one of the big takeaways from twenty sixteen of like how how they've built this team. It's obviously, you know, haven't reached the same heights yet, but they catch the ball, if they throw the ball, they make through team plays, they make the spectacular plays, and that that usually plays.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I mean that.
Speaker 3: As a pitcher, when you know that, you know, especially in a Wrigley or really in that division, with the exception of maybe Saint Louis, you know, they're not exactly easy places to pitch, uh, you know, as far as dimensions and and the way the ball flies and all that stuff. But when you're at Wrigley and you know that if the ball's hit there's a likelihood that we're going to get an out, that's a that's a reassuring feeling on the mound, you know. And to your point, I mean, you look at the defense. I mean we we had Hobby Bys on the bench a lot of the games, you know, for whatever reason.
Speaker 2: And this guy is probably one of the best defensive.
Speaker 3: Multi position players that you'll that you'll see, so that, I mean, that just goes to show you the depth of what we had, uh, you know, on the field. So yeah, I mean defense, You know, defense wins championships. You know, your your offense is going to go through ups and downs throughout the season, and so is your pitching. But defense, if they stay steadfast and keep making those plays. You know, I always said, I don't I don't necessarily need the flashy play.
Speaker 2: I need the routine play.
Speaker 3: And if you had guys on a team that make routine plays day after day after day, that's just going to keep you know, adding up to those outs, and the faster you get, you know, to to twenty seven outs usually means that you've won that game. So you know that that's that was a big proponent of mind. I try to tell my my middle school guys that I've been helping out down here, you know, Hey, guys, just I don't care about you know, getting the necessarily, I want to teach you guys how to play baseball. But at the same time, you know, turning a double play at their age is is a little difficult. You know, you don't always have to go for the lead runner. Just get out because if you guys get out, the other team's defense isn't as good as you guys.
Speaker 2: You're going to hit.
Speaker 3: You know, you're going to drive in more runs, You're going to be on the offensive sides. So you know, at the end of the day, just continue to get out and usually things work out.
Speaker 1: All right, let's take a quick break. I got a question about the rollercoaster like season that the Cubs are having.
Speaker 7: This episode is brought to you by FanDuel Baseball Fans. The MLB season is in full swing and FanDuel is giving you a chance to call your shot with daily dingers. Joining the action is easy. Just make your free pick on who's hitting a home run in their game, and if you're right, you'll get a profit boost to use on your next bet for a chance at extra winnings. It's just another reason why FanDuel is the home of home runs.
Speaker 2: So are you.
Speaker 7: Ready to play your game? Head over to FanDuel dot com slash podcast to get started. That's FanDuel dot com slash Podcast. To opt in for daily dingers, make your free pick on who's hitting a homer playball Swing for the Fences on FanDuel, an official partner of Major League Baseball. No purchase necessary, opt in required. Bonus issued as non withdrawable profit boost tokens. Restrictions apply, including any token expiration and max wager amount. See terms at sportsbook dot FanDuel dot com. Gambling problem caller Tex one eight hundred gambler.
Speaker 1: John, I remember John Lackey would grumble at us and tell us, you guys act like it's one hundred and sixty two seasons, but it was. I'm glad glad he said that because it sticks in my head and it makes it it really like makes me remember, you know, these these short segments that feel like they last forever, You got to try and put them in perspective. You cannot overreact to ten games, twenty games, or whatever it is. It's the full season that you know you have to judge. Still, what the Cubs have gone through has been kind of wild two ten game winning streaks and a ten game losing streak before we even got to June.
Speaker 2: That happened.
Speaker 1: It feels like now it happened a while ago, but it's kind of wild how that happened. You didn't have those extremes that I recall, but you certainly had there were. I mean, even sixteen you had that lull before the All Star break the team did seventeen that you guys kind of started off at a slog obviously, the way eighteen and nineteen ended it was, you know, these really tough moments. I'm just curious, like, how did you handle that? How did you try and stay steady during those and what are the different things you noticed in a clubhouse that either were good like this guy's handling it well, or how you had to maybe reset someone or go up to someone, or what were some moments how did you have to help others kind of get through those moments. A guy that I remember watching at least I watched him struggle, like at least when he personally struggled, was Schwarber. Schwarber seems like someone that's really matured in that area where he'd wear that he'd wear those struggles, and that's something that he must have learned over his career. He can't wear the day to day struggles. Obviously he's thriving now and figured a lot out with his career, but that's one guy that popped into my mind that just early on maybe wasn't as great at handling that day to day struggles.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean.
Speaker 3: To I don't even know what to say, like how the season has gone for the Cubs, because I mean, I've never experienced anything like that, you know, I mean, if you have a you have a ten game winning streak, you would like to think that your season is pretty good at some point.
Speaker 2: That don't happen that often.
Speaker 3: Uh, And then to follow it up with a ten game losing streak. That's that's like the high the high and the low the low right there. You know, it's it's it's hard. I don't I don't, Like I said, I don't really know how to answer that. I think, to to go through a season and and you know, like I've said before, you know you want to be you want to be on the kiddy roller coaster hopefully, and that means it's a good you know, a good season as opposed to the six flags roller coaster kind of like what you know the Cubs are going through right or went through. You know, the losing. Losing sucks. Losing is hard. I think as you get older, you learn to kind of put the responsibility on yourself and not so much the responsibility of the whole team, if that makes any sense, you know, I think to Shoreber's point, I think he learned that, you know, we we would if lost. It wasn't his fault, you know, you know what I'm saying, So like he would put the whole responsibility of the game on himself, you know, and he had three at bats or he had maybe two plays in the outfield or whatever it was. And you know, you can't over one hundred and sixty two games, you can't do that. You can't mentally, you won't last if you do that. So over the years he's learned, Okay, we lose as a team, we win as a team. I'm gonna do everything I can in that game to make sure we succeed. And if we don't evaluated after the game, when I leave the field, I'm onto the next one, you know. I think that's how you try to combat some of these some of these losing stations are losing streaks. You know, I think, you know, it can kind of go back to what we were talking about in fifteen and with Bregman a little bit.
Speaker 2: You know, you get a team.
Speaker 3: That and this this this is like a positive negative thing. You get a team that cares so much that you have each individual up there trying to win the game every single swing. And that's where that's where those games, those streaks can kind of get a little bit longer. And I think Dansby I saw an interview he did a while back where he's just like, you know, we all care, and we're all pressing something of the along those lines. I'm not quote, but you know, everybody in that clubhouse cares and they all want to win the game. And sometimes a clubhouse can care too much and get in their own way. And I think that's where you know, especially talented teams. Now, if you don't have a talented team, you know you're going to kind of expect these these losing streaks. But you have a talented team like they do, you know, you get guys up there pressing and trying to hit, you know, the Grand slams with nobody on and that's where you know, that's where those those streaks can maybe get a little bit prolonged.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think it's we've talked to here. It's probably a whole entire episode if you want to talk about kind of leadership and chemistry, but just something David Ross has been in the news this week of you know, being linked to the Mets job. Maybe. I mean, that's kind of the beginning of a search that you won't start in earnest, probably till the off season. But I think it's been kind of nice to see him kind of re emerge during those losing streaks. There were people on Twitter like where's that David Ross fire? You know, It's just funny how how things sort of work. I think, like, you know, like where where's ROSSI you know, where's the director of Red Ass just to know, you know, lighting people up. And you know, I think I think his tenure in Chicago, you know, looks. It didn't look bad when he left, but I think it looks better over time. And I think it's you're obviously much closer to it, John, But from as an outside observer, I think it's been nice to see him kind of back on ESPN, like back out doing his podcast with Rizzo. I mean, people are probably sick of Rizzo on TV at this point. But I think, you know ross ross coming like I think, I think when you have a ten year reunion, sometimes you need like there's a reason why it's ten years, like you know, whether it's you know, Schwarber, Ross like, it didn't Joe Madden like, it didn't like end, it wasn't a fairy tale script. And I think that the tenure buffer is is nice. It is probably warranted in a lot of cases.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, to your point with Rossie, it is nice to see him back in the game a little bit. He's got a lot of knowledge in there, and you know, to comment on the people saying, you know, where's the Rossy fire and that sort of thing. The hard part with you know what the big leagues is most of the time when you're in those stretches, it's not necessarily bad baseball. You know, it can be a little bit of bad luck.
Speaker 2: You know, you get second.
Speaker 3: And third with with two outs and a guy hits a screamer to the shortstop and it's right at him.
Speaker 2: You know, it's part of the game.
Speaker 3: It sucks, and you know, when you're going well, he hits the ball off his handle with a broken bat and it falls over the shortstop, you know what I'm saying. So like, sometimes it's not always just needing the fire. Now, with that being said, if you're playing shitty baseball, then yeah, you need to get your butt torn up, you know, if you're making mental air. Physical airs are one thing. Physical errors for physical errors. You know, I've had this conversation with both of my kids, on the batting side and on the feeling side. I said, listen, that's not the last air or that's not the first air of the last air you're ever going to make if you continue to play baseball. I'm like, that's not the first strikeout or the last strikeout. With you know, runners and scoring position, you guys are going to have. Like this game sucks, but it's also beautiful when you when you really do to it. So you know, like the fire part of it is needed at certain points of the season. And you know, I think you know, fans sometimes get lost in the fact of you know, they only see what's on the field, right they don't see what's in the clubhouse. They don't see what or hear what's heard in the clubhouse. You know, they don't hear the message that whoever the manager is is portraying to the to the to the guys and the coaches and hitting coaches and the grind that goes into it, which I think is sometimes good, but in losing situations it can be bad, you know.
Speaker 2: So but yeah, the ten year thing, man, it's nice.
Speaker 3: It's nice to come back and you know, see guys and and hang out and you know, you start remembering, you know, other guys that that were you know, a part of it, and stories that were linked to those guys, and you know, all those memories kind of kind of come back and you start talking about the season. You forget certain aspects of the season and what happened here and what happened there and and big big moments and funny moments and you know all that stuff. So it is it is good to have a break, and then it's it's nice to to come back kind of you know, like our hair is on fire even if you don't have any and get back together and uh.
Speaker 2: You know, and enjoy enjoy each other's company.
Speaker 1: John, We're gonna bug you plenty about that. Ten year reunion and and other things. You'll be a regular guest with us, which is great. We're looking forward to having you on regularly talking about this current team, talking about the whole team, and and just to having you share your knowledge with us. It's it's really great that you're able to do this. But let's wrap this one up. Thanks so much for listening to everyone. Thanks for joining us, John, This is Northside Territory. Make sure to rate, review, subscribe, subscribe to the YouTube channel, and subscribe to The Athletic where Patrick and I are on top of all things Cubs. Thanks for listening and watching.
Speaker 2: Everyone.
Speaker 1: Take care,