Speaker 1: LinkedIn News.
Speaker 2: Now, the thing about burnout is it sneaks up on you. I remember I was in a job. I was having chest pains and so I went to the doctor and I was like, I'm having these heart palpitations.
Speaker 1: Am I having like a heart attack? Mind you? I'm like the twenty five years old the job. I'm like, what's happening? Is it now? Is now my time?
Speaker 2: And two are like and he was like, no, You're not having a heart attack. But we went down this checklist and he said, I think you are exhibiting like early signs of burnout.
Speaker 3: From LinkedIn News and I heard podcasts. This is Let's Talk offline, a show about what it takes to thrive in the early years of your career without sacrificing your values, sanity or a sleep.
Speaker 2: I'm Gianna Prudenti and I'm Jamaie Jackson Kadsten. So when you're early in your career, you are hustle in. I mean, you might give me all of the assignments you want me to do that presentation. Sure, you want me to come into work early. Absolute Utely, you're saying yes to everything because honestly, you're trying to prove to others, maybe even to yourself, that you can do the job.
Speaker 1: But what can that lead to? Yeah, you guessed it, burnout. It's true.
Speaker 3: I've been there, and so have many other gen Zers. Get this. Ninety eight percent of gen Z workers have battled burnout symptoms.
Speaker 1: Ninety eight ninety eight.
Speaker 3: Wow, I know that means it feels like you're running on empty, but you keep pushing yourself to the max and stressing yourself out, all at the expense of your mental health. Well, we're here to tell you that it doesn't have to be that way, and we're going to help you prevent burnout before it's too late.
Speaker 1: There's different types of burnouts. There's levels to this.
Speaker 2: Okay, so it's for today's conversation, we are specifically talking about work burnout. So when it comes to work burnout, that is the feeling of things like stress and exhaustion when you think or do anything related to your job. I mean you are feeling drained, you're feeling unmotivated. You could also be feeling worn out physically, but I think this also comes down to your emotional and mental state as well. And unfortunately, the thing about burnout is if you're not careful. It also can affect your job performance. So there are a number of things that can contribute to job burnout. I mean, so, just thinking off the top of my head, it's things like having a lack of control. I see this a lot, particularly when you have things like layoffs or like workforces are impacted. You feel like you're out of control and you want to just grasp it and you don't have it having too much or even.
Speaker 1: Too little to do. Now.
Speaker 2: Look, I love this one, gee, because we always talk about being overworked, but underwork can also add to burnout too, because you start wondering, am I doing enough? Am I feeling fulfilled? Am I walking in my life's purpose?
Speaker 1: Babe? You're twenty one? Okay? Are you relaxed? These are the questions that we're thinking about. Yeah, I know, I know. It keeps us up at night.
Speaker 2: Obviously, office conflict, right, you know, we had a whole episode on work friendships, right, But what happens when that friendship goes sour? Or what happens when that little booth thing and the other department and yeah, y'all break up and now you're grieving and you see them eating chicken in the cafeteria with somebody else.
Speaker 1: Who are you? Sorry? That sounds very personal.
Speaker 2: Sorry anyway's not speaking from personal experience.
Speaker 3: No, No, I'm not.
Speaker 1: Crashing out whatsoever. A lack of support.
Speaker 2: We talked about this a lot, particularly around managers and co workers. Lack of support can just make you feel like you're in an unsafe environment. But another one that I think is so important here is personal life issues. I feel this one deeply because your personal life can't affect your work life. I know people like to separate, and to some degree there should be a separation of church and state. But the truth of the matter is you're human and what's happening out there is bound to also come a little bit into your office settings.
Speaker 1: They bleed in.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so you're feeling some sort of way, but you kind of ignore those feelings because maybe you don't know what it is, and you really want to prove yourself, whether you're like starting a new job or early in your career, so you're really willing to kind of put your mental health aside and just like keep pushing forward, and then that comes at a cost, right, So I think what's important with burnout is if you're starting to feel those symptoms that Jamay was explaining, you have to ask yourself a few questions to kind of diagnose yourself. And these are some questions that Mayo Clinics suggests asking. So, first, do you question the value of your work? Do you drag yourself to work and have trouble getting started? Do you feel removed from work and the people you work with? Do you feel a little satisfaction from the work you get done? Do you doubt your skills and abilities? Do you feel let down by your job? Are you experiencing physical ailments like frequent headaches, stomach issues, trouble sleeping with no known cause. If you're answering yes to a lot of these questions, that's likely a sign that you are experiencing burnout.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I like that there are questions that we can all sort of ask ourselves at least to start the conversation.
Speaker 1: So, gee, what's been your experience with burnout?
Speaker 3: I experienced burnout maybe a year or so ago. I feel like it kind of was this perfect storm between things in my personal life and work life, and I remember just feeling like just numbed out, like I was super unmotivated. We work in a very creation heavy role, and I was just not feeling creative whatsoever. Like the idea of having to put words down on paper was this exhausting task for me, and I just felt super drained. I really had no energy even for social interactions in or out of work. I wanted to like kind of just like be by myself. I didn't have like the mental capacity to take anything in. You know, everything that I was good at is now such a struggle. And then I started having conversations with one colleague, one of my work for friends, and she really helped me kind of work through it because it was the first time I had experienced something like that, and when it's related to your job, all of a sudden, I was like, oh no, Like I was always a very like driven person, always ambitious, like high functioning anxiety work, you know, like a lot of I think some of my success at work is just being like the type a anxious person that I am, And suddenly I just wasn't that person anymore. Like I was in this very self driven role, but I could not get myself to get my work done, and if I did, it was like blah, yeah and yeah. It definitely took me a while to like work through it because I didn't really know how to get out of that funk.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was.
Speaker 3: It was definitely like a WHOA moment for me.
Speaker 2: I'm so thankful that you were able to have someone who you could talk to because to your point, when you do make work part of your identity and in some way by being that person you know people can depend on or doing good work, it feels very personal.
Speaker 1: When you can't do that, it was scary.
Speaker 3: I was like, okay, am I not able to do my job all of a sudden, like what happened? Yeah, And it's not like the cure for burnout is something that happens overnight, and it can really feel like isolating and you're like, I don't want to you know, you're nervous to ask for help or to vocalize that because you want to be seen as somebody who can get the job done and be a high performer, especially if that's a reputation you've built for yourself and now something's changed. But like you were saying, your personal life really bleeds into work. It's not something that you can always you know, perfectly separate and have boundaries around. So you know, undoubtedly it's something that many people probably will experience throughout their career. Yeah, is it something you've experienced before?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I am similar to you.
Speaker 2: I had a really really bad burnout session like last year, like to the point where I should I know what was together, but I stopped creating altogether. And as someone who people would say, I love your personal brand, I love that you create, all of a sudden, it felt like overnight, I just I walked away from everything. I stopped posting on social media, I stopped creating content from my website. I even stopped doing speaking events. And it's like the cyclical thing because there was so much happening in my personal life. My mother in law was really, really sick. My husband was her caretaker, so I became her caretaker and in a sense, and then she passed, and it was such a moment of just like trying to process grief, but like life goes on and you had to keep going, and then there were transitions, and so there were also like all of these things happening inside. I had out so many pile ups, and you know, one of the things that I think about a lot is I had just also started to just let myself go the girl who people say, oh, she dresses nice, so she always looks. I had just stopped caring about my appearance. And I think the sad thing is it's like you want to yell into the void, help, help, but then you're also like, but who cares?
Speaker 1: And you feel that way? Is this solution? What is the solution? Now?
Speaker 2: What's interesting though, And you know, the things you love are the things that you find ways to talk about. I'll never forget. There was an instance where I had gotten an opportunity as an influencer to promote a movie, and so they invited me to the movie premiere and so I got really excited. I got dressed up that night, we went, and I walked away from that night being like, this is what I need to be doing.
Speaker 1: I need to be getting back into acting.
Speaker 2: Like there's just something about getting back into something that you absolutely love. And then that's when I started to enroll in the classes and it healed me, It really did. Now it's taken what a year plus for me to finally be at a point where I'm creating content again. I'm getting myself out there. But I would be lying if I said that sometimes I approach the things that I love with caution because I don't want them to burn me out again. You get scarred, and you expect when you are Anyone who has ever dealt, particularly with depression knows you get into those spells and when you are out, you are so thankful, but you're like, please, God, don't let me get there again. And I think burnout is one of those things.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: The thing about burnout is it sneaks up on you. I remember I was in a job. I was having chest pains, and so I went to the doctor and I was like, I'm having these heart palpitations.
Speaker 1: Am I having like a heart attack? Mine?
Speaker 4: You?
Speaker 1: I'm like a twenty five the job. I'm like, what's happening? Is it now?
Speaker 2: Is now my time? And you are like and he was like, no, You're not having a heart attack. But you know, he asked me very similar questions to what you mentioned earlier. We went down this checklist, and he said, I think you are exhibiting like early signs of burnout. I was overworking myself. I was not giving myself a work life balance. I wasn't setting boundaries a lot of things. Giann and I have been talking.
Speaker 1: To you all about all about the boundary and all circles back to boundaries.
Speaker 2: But it really was I think with some of the this also goes back to millennials particularly we come from like grind culture, right, like hustle culture, muscle culture. Yeah, like nobody cares if you're tired, Like, if you're tired, that means you're right exactly. Yeah, And so I had to sort of unlearn and I honestly it was kind of post pandemic that I learned this about slowing down and taking the time to advocate for myself and set boundaries. And it really has been over the last year and a half where I've said I have to go even a step further to make sure that I prevent the burnout in the first place.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I just want to give a quick shout out to the amazing millennial woman in my life, including you, because I feel like it's unfortunate to say that. I feel like you guys experience that and now because of that, you're like protecting us from that. So I feel like a lot of informal mentors I have in my life have said, you know, like I've been there, here's what you like I want you to do to stop yourself from getting to that point, or like get yourself out of it when you are, because this is just not not good.
Speaker 1: It's worth it.
Speaker 2: I think that what's so important is that you have to remember, at least I like to think of it as this, that everything is working out for you, like everything is. And so if you really believe that, Like on the surface level, we could say, oh, it's working out for me, But if you're still allowing things to stress you out, if you're still staying in toxic environments, if you're still not pursuing the things that you're passionate about.
Speaker 1: Do you really believe it?
Speaker 2: If you really believe that things are working out for you, that also means I don't have to stress out on this job because I'm still going to get where I need to get to, yeah, and wherever I need to get to. You know, if you already think of everything as ordained steps for you, you will be okay.
Speaker 3: Easier so than benders.
Speaker 4: I know.
Speaker 3: I know, literally, we know how hard it can be to put yourself first, especially when it comes to work. But after the break, we're going to talk about ways to tackle burnout and also get ahead of the problem. All right, we're back talking about dealing with burnout at work. Something I've been really trying to work on over the last few years is putting my mental health first. And that seems like, Okay, yeah, great, obviously you should be doing that, but it is really hard when you're balancing your job with your personal life and you know, you want your performance to be great and you want to do good at your job, and sometimes you sacrifice your mental health for that. But we are here to tell you that you got to put your mental health first and because having that mindset is really going to help you kind of get ahead of the problem when it comes to burnout and learn. If you're going to learn anything from me, it's you know, not to just go on overdrive and ignore it until you crash.
Speaker 1: Just think about it.
Speaker 2: Do you really want the thing that you want if you can't even enjoy it because you mentally aren't even there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and then you get to it and you're like, Okay, I was just like kind of black out the whole journey to get here because I was just unwell, right, Yeah, Okay, So like Jamay and I were saying before, I mean, all of this really does come back to setting boundaries around your job. And we did a whole episode about how to set work boundaries a few months ago, so we're not going to spend too much time talking about it, but the TLDR is that setting those work boundaries is going to be the first step to preventing burnout. So check out that work boundaries episode if you haven't already. Listen the other thing, and you kind of mentioned this before when you talked about getting back into acting. When you bring things into your life that give you joy, it rejuvenates you. So really invest in your hobbies. I think when I was dealing with burnout, my whole life was work. I had nothing outside that was really an outlet for me. Yeah, and you know this really gets me. Everyone's always like, well do you work out? Like yes, I wish I was the girlie who was working out for mental health like that, ain't me, Like, I'm working out because I need to with them, not as much as a release as I wish.
Speaker 1: It was the fact that some people do this for fun runners high. It ain't real for me. It's not high for me. It's not I'm on the ground, my tang I'm ready.
Speaker 3: But you have to remember that You're more than your job, right, It's not your whole life. So you have to make time outside of work for your hobbies and passions and make sure that you're investing in those interests. And that can really reduce the stress on the job. So yeah, exercise is like one of them. If that's your release, great, But doing things that just bring you joy. For me, it's cooking a great meal. There's nothing I love more than like coming home from a long day. Everyone stay out of the kitchen like it's just me. I don't need a sous chev Okay, I want to just sit there. I want to chop. I want to chop all night. I want to listen to the music. And I'm decompressing.
Speaker 1: See. But you know what I love.
Speaker 2: I love that you mentioned hobbies that don't even have anything to do with work, because I think sometimes people swap work for work and oh my god, and I don't think you should do that, particularly if you're trying to fight burnout. I think another thing that's really important here is that you should seek support. Now, I think that support can also happen internally here, so you can also talk to your manager, you can talk to co workers, particularly with the manager. Let me focus on that one first. I think that you can have an honest conversation with them about how you're feeling, come with solutions right also, and like kind of give them a lay of the land. I have done this before with managers of mine, where I have said, like, I am really stressed out based upon my workload. Can you just help me review everything that I have and help me prioritize, like what is the most important versus least? And one thing that I have found is that by giving them that access, they're able. A good manager is good to identify, Okay, here's what I can take off of your plate, or what you can outsource to somebody else. And then they're also going to help you figure out because if you're like me, you think everything is a level ten priority and it's not. Yeah, and that also adds to the stress, which then also leads to burnout. Your co workers are also people you lean on, right, Like the idea of like being able to talk to someone like you did right or like I do sometimes like you need that. And then also obviously external friendships and so the people outside of your job are gonna help remind you that this is not your whole life, right, yes, because you know what, they're gonna be sick of it.
Speaker 1: They're gonna be like, I'm tired of you. My roommate's like, I'm done with this same thing. You keep talking, all right.
Speaker 2: She's gonna be like, of course you're burned out. You're working twelve hour days. Let's go to halfy hour. But like you need that, and then like you'd be like, oh wow, this thing that I thought was this huge thing in my life really is a lot smaller.
Speaker 1: So you got to get outside. You have to have support. Another thing.
Speaker 2: It's also not a bad idea to consider taking breaks. Oh yeah, when it comes to breaks, there's a couple of different breaks that I need. The first break is literally taking a break, go outside during your lunch break, okay, or stop working while you eat. I'm guilty, much so guilty, but like, seriously, give yourself a few minutes every day to just ground yourself. I have to force myself to go get coffee, or to get outside to get some fresh air, or even just the walk to and from the you know, the train stations. Those little things allow you to get some more mental clarity and to just breathe, right, because sometimes we're not breathing.
Speaker 3: Okay, I've never breathing. I've never I just tried to shout this in therapy. I'm always holding my breath.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, not good, not good.
Speaker 2: But you definitely should just figure out ways to take breaks. Now obviously those are the smaller ones, right, and then goes back to boundaries, knowing when you're gonna clock in, when you're gonna clock out, giving your weekends to yourself.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Can I just say something.
Speaker 3: Some people actually add calendar holds on their calendars to remind themselves to break. And that's something that I want to start doing too, because you can literally power through the day and I'd be like, oh.
Speaker 1: Guilty, Yeah that is me.
Speaker 3: I got a top and that was it. Like that's something I've learned from you. Because if you don't put that hold, people will block.
Speaker 1: It, I guess. But even when you have the whole people will still oh, double book you. I'd be double tripple.
Speaker 3: You gotta set that soundary and you gotta enforce it.
Speaker 2: I don't like it, am I Mariah Carey. Everyone just want a piece that's the same meaning. But aside of those, like also another type of break that is important.
Speaker 1: Here are like longer breaks.
Speaker 2: Okay, So here's the thing, guys, burnout is not the same as just like a stressful day in the office, which is why you have to be very thoughtful and intentional when you ask yourself these questions of how you're feeling, keeping a diary or a log of how long this has been going on, and if you can being able to talk to people, and you know, gauge like, okay, is this kind of becoming a bigger thing. I say this because burnout is not something you solve over one weekend.
Speaker 1: Staying in burnout is.
Speaker 2: A long term thing, so you have to come up with a long term strategy. What breaks can hopefully do is if you have the opportunity to take PTO or discretionary time off or whatever. If you can take time off short, use that. But if you cannot, you need to also start looking into resources that might allow you to take additional days for mental health or even being able to take longer spans of time. Now we'll have it down in the show description more resources for you all. But I do know that there are also mental health resources that are offered by FMLA, so this can also give you weeks.
Speaker 1: Of time off. What's Family Medical Leave Act. I haven't heard of that you.
Speaker 2: Have access to it, and it's really great. I mean a lot of people know FMLA for things like maternity or paternity care. Also if you're out on medical leave. But let me tell you this, the same way you care when you have a medical procedure and you need time off work, you got to take the same care for your mind. Okay, So definitely make sure you check out the resources and the show description. Guys, we will have them out there because I don't want to misquote anything. But the point is, do your research. Know that it is okay to take small breaks, but if you are actually getting to the point of burnout that you are now like, okay, this is impacting my life, it is okay to look into resources to give you longer breaks of time. You should be medically and legally protected.
Speaker 3: Before you mentioned seeking support from your manager, and you were sharing how you've gone about that in the past, and I want to talk more about that, and that brings us to our listener question. So this is our segment Dear Work Bestie, where we bring in questions from our listeners. This week's comes from Ben in Washington.
Speaker 4: Lately, there's been a lot going on at working in my personal life. I'm not feeling as motivated as I usually am about my job. I'm starting to feel kind of overwhelmed. How do I tell my manager how feeling without making them feel like I'm incapable of doing my job?
Speaker 3: So if you guys listen to our Boundaries episode, you will realize I've already cried at work, like I have got to the point where I'm crying in my cubicle to my manager. But of course I'm okay, thank you to a trauma.
Speaker 1: I love you though you know it's funny.
Speaker 3: I laugh now, I laugh now, but you know there are steps you can take to prevent that from happening. So, similar to Bin, I was feeling overwhelmed and scared that my performance was slipping. So I wanted to have that conversation with my manager. And I think if you're you have a good manager, they don't want you to fail if you feel like you have a trusted relationship with that person, right And I think it's going into that conversation, like you were saying before, being open and just saying I'm feeling overwhelmed right now, and here's what's on my plate, And you can literally say I don't want the quality of my work to slip. I know I can do a good job, but I feel like I'm going to get to the point where I'm unable to maintain the quality of my work because of how I'm feeling. And so yeah, I think vulnerable really wins here. But of course not everyone has that relationship with their manager. But I do think I think you can kind of come in with the problem solution approach of saying like, hey, here's what you know I think I can be doing to kind of like lessen this overwhelm what do you think about this? Right? And I think your manager will be like, oh, okay, great or no, actually, why don't we try this? But you kind of need to bring them in as a partner either way to kind of figure out the solution forward.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I love that a lot, because, like we talked about earlier, your manager can help you prioritize. When I was thinking about what Ben was saying, I was like, I think it's also important to ask yourself, like, what is taking the toll right, because if it's one of those bigger projects figuring out maybe are there other coworkers you can bring on who you can partner with and having that. But it's if it's the small, like little things figuring out how to delegate. For me, I find that, like it's the small tasks that usually me out because my brain is like in strategy docs all day or working on big projects. So that allowed me to also figure out, Okay, I can now block off time on my calendar to go towards answering emails.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I love that you said first like figure out what is you know, what are your main stressors, and then also like ask your manager to help you prioritize, and also, like I guess, speaking from my personal experience, like if it is stuff in your personal life, you know, a good manager understands that you are a whole human and you have life outside the office. You know, you don't have to tell everyone exactly the full story, right.
Speaker 1: I think if the you.
Speaker 3: Know, pandemic taught anybody anything, it's like, we have life outside of the office, and you need to account for that. And that's why you know, prioritizing mental health is so important. And remember that you were hired for a reason. Your manager isn't going to say Oh wow, you're incapable of doing your job now because you just told me this vulnerable thing about yourself. I do think people respect that, but when you're starting out, you feel like, oh, that vulnerability is something I can't show because I'm proving myself. Where if you have a good manager, that's something that they're going to, you know, be proud of you for doing and help you kind of problem solved.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I mean to your point, you are proving yourself. You're proving that you can take ownership, You're proving that you are coming with a solution oriented mindset. You're proving that I want to succeed in this job. I just need a little help because it's like this. Everyone is going to suffer grief at some point in their life. Everyone is going to suffer something. You know, We've talked about layoffs, We've talked about you know, being impacted by different things that are happening industries. So many themes and topics that we've talked about on this podcast are things that are going to touch people at some point or another. So it would naturally benefit your employer to understand that you are a person and that these things are going to affect you in a different way, like what affects G is going to affect me in a different way because of life circumstances. That is where you create that partnership. But I just want to also say that if you are experiencing continued burnout, take it from the girl who literally has had to go to the hospital about this hair was falling out.
Speaker 1: I was not cute.
Speaker 2: It was not cute. I wasn't eating or I was overeating. I was doing a lot. It was a whole lot of everything. If you are realizing that you are in this continued burnout stage, it really might be time for you to consider walking away. You are no lesser of a person if you decide you have to do that. In fact, I commend you for being able to prioritize your mental health. Now obviously I get it. It's much easier said than done here and I know, like you can look out and you can see the industry, you can see the economy, and you're nervous to take that leap. And I also understand that not everyone has the privilege of just being able to leave their job. But if you are not getting the support that you need, if you have listened to this entire episode. You have noted a lot of things that you see in yourself. If you've had these conversations with your manager, if you've had these conversations with HI, if you work in an environment that does not respect your boundaries, it really might be time for you to start thinking about that exit plan.
Speaker 3: And I just want to add one last thing is don't be afraid to seek the help of a mental health professional. You know, I've been in therapy for I think most of my life and it's definitely helped me create those boundaries around work and personal life. That has helped kind of prevent the burnout. And then when I was in that period because of a lot of it was due to my personal life. I mean, therapy you know, saved me in that time. So definitely consider seeking support if you have the resources and the means to do so. Yeah, and also see if you know your employer has a mental health benefit and maybe they work with a therapy provider.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I love that you mentioned that.
Speaker 2: One thing that I was thinking of is that sometimes your friends, your family, your loved ones could also be the same ones who gaslight you, which.
Speaker 1: Is why you have to have wise counseled a third party of.
Speaker 2: It you do like and they may not mean anything negative by it. But you know, your parents, who have stayed in the same job for fifty years are not gonna tell you that at the first sign of burnout.
Speaker 1: To me, I know, sometimes.
Speaker 3: My mom would be like, oh, just like just say you can't handle it.
Speaker 2: I'm like, I I just put on a nice outfit as a makeup.
Speaker 1: When you look good, you feel good. I'm like, now what I'm burned out? Mommy. No, they do, they do, they do.
Speaker 2: But but to your point, I mean, the mental health professional will be able to give you an objective viewpoint of your situation, which is always nice to have so you feel safe and supported. I mean, honestly, I think that's always a great person to bounce ideas off of, because otherwise, girl, you're gonna be asking yourself, am I crazy? I mean, they're honestly there to help you navigate those thoughts, So shout out to them. Okay, everyone, let's all take a collective deep breath.
Speaker 1: That was great, right, I know that was a lot.
Speaker 2: An overcoming burnout doesn't happen overnight, but we hope that after this combo, you start taking the first steps towards addressing that burnout coming up? Have you ever talked about your salary with your coworkers?
Speaker 1: Is it still taboo? That's next?
Speaker 3: All right, Tom, you dropped so many gems you too, like usual. Something I'm taking away from our conversation that you said is the break's part of this, right. I really appreciate how protective you are of your time and how you don't only set your boundaries, you enforce them and you have agency over your time. That's something that I want to get better with. So my action item for today is, like, I'm set. I'm going to put some calendar holds on to break girl and maybe set some reminder to breathe because my therapist had to do that and I haven't even need to breathe.
Speaker 1: You need to do it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but it's okay. My voice teacher tells me all the time. You need to breathe.
Speaker 3: How we like it might take breaks and breathes like, but seriously, but you have to remind yourself sometimes.
Speaker 2: Sometimes the small things are really the most effective, and they're the things that will give you the biggest benefit. You just don't even realize it. I think one thing that's been important that you actually mentioned is just the importance of hobbies. Now, this is something that has been a game changer for me this year, as I've been getting into things that I even took like a pottery class.
Speaker 1: A couple of times. Terrible.
Speaker 3: Wait, can I say something, I also wanted to take pottery classes.
Speaker 1: Why is it so expensive? Nobody talks about how expensive hobbies can be. It's so expensive. Stick to cooking.
Speaker 2: I know, right, literally, it's so expensive. But I do think that there's such a fun thing about just trying out hobbies, trying new things that you've never experienced before. Sometimes they even show you things that you would want to do. We have a whole episode on side hustles, turning them into your full nine to five or so. I think like there's just so much that you can do and decentering work. Decentering something doesn't make it less important. It just means that you're not fixated on it and you have to govern your own agency.
Speaker 1: In that say it again.
Speaker 2: So I really hope that you guys are taking some of these tips away. But before you head out, another tip of the week, cringe, go Gianna.
Speaker 1: We have cringe. Are cool? It's our favorite, well my favorite segment, I don't know. Is it your favorite? I think so? Okay, I think it's fun.
Speaker 2: Right, Well, we get to discuss all things workplace culture, in the trends, and we're determining whether they are cool or cringe.
Speaker 1: That almost rhymed? I think maybe in my head, Gianna, whatever.
Speaker 3: I don't think.
Speaker 1: What are we talking about this week?
Speaker 3: Okay, we're talking about discussing your salary with your coworkers.
Speaker 1: How much do you make? What do you feel? How do I feel? Yeah, let me take a sip of profit?
Speaker 3: Question?
Speaker 1: What a crazy question? How do you feel drying?
Speaker 2: So I think I come at this topic in a very particular way because as someone who was a freelancer, like a freelance journalist for a number of years in her career, the only way I knew how to get paid was by asking my community, well, what were you getting paid? Yeah, and that was still very taboo then, right, but you would quickly learn, oh, the same editor that's giving you seventy five bucks for a story is paying someone else to seventy five. And so I have always been a person who's like, I can ask if you feel comfortable sharing feel you know, share If you don't, that's totally fine.
Speaker 1: I also think that having.
Speaker 2: Paid transparency and salari transparency allows you to know whether you are being played or not. Even in corporate facilities. Now, there are some companies that make sure from an equitable standpoint that people are being compensated fairly, but there are a lot of companies that just don't do that.
Speaker 1: Girl.
Speaker 2: So the only way you are going to know if you are being low balled or like if you're not actually advancing as quickly as your peers is just by having those conversations. But again, it doesn't bother me at all. I just always say, like, if you ask, be careful for what you ask, because you might find out. You might find out that you getting played, and then I think people get a lot upset.
Speaker 1: What do you think.
Speaker 3: I love that you said that, because I think if you're asking, you got to prepare to either be like pleasantly surprised that you're earning more or hurt that you're earning less, and that can definitely impact the way you view your colleague. So you just need to be aware of that going in. But I remember in our negotiation episode, you said you found out you were being underpaid in one of your early jobs because you spoke to one of your guy colleagues, right.
Speaker 2: Yep, I found out I was getting paid like twenty thousand dollars less than him, and it was wild because we were doing the same type of work. But you know what I think is important because you said this, and it's like it had nothing new to him, right, And I think we take it personal all of a sudden. If I found out Gianna was making like three times myself, I would be like.
Speaker 3: Gianna, but if podcast over, But it's like, it has nothing to do with you.
Speaker 2: I have so many details you could have negotiated that you might actually have experience that I don't know of that's reflected on that resume. There's there's so many factors here, right, Like, so the number is just a number on paper, But I do think that it is a number that you can use to inform your strategy moving forward.
Speaker 3: Okay, I agree with you. I think there's a lot of value in having transparent conversations with your I will say work friends, because they need to be trusted.
Speaker 1: Colleagues, very trusted.
Speaker 2: Yes, we're not just throwing this around like a Friday night, No, no, no, no.
Speaker 3: I honestly remember at one point, like a few of us like gathered in a conference room and we were like we talked about it because you know, when it comes to promotions, when it comes to raises, you don't know what you don't know, correct, And like you were saying, sometimes pay transparency within a company isn't you know, super transparent. So having those conversations with your colleagues can be really informative when you think about like asking for a raise and going after promotion. It didn't tarnish my view of them whatsoever, but it just gave me information that I had in the back of my head as context. And now listen, I wasn't going into any negotiations saying well I know so and so is making X y Z that part. No, Like listen, like that is not something that you throw in somebody else's face. That's not used as ammunition. It's like background research that you got to keep in your head. Yes, and it's just all context.
Speaker 1: At the end of the day.
Speaker 2: Some things don't need to be said out loud, and like, so if someone actually was open and vulnerable enough with you to share that information, don't use it to don't, don't.
Speaker 1: Don't organize them. Yeah, yeah, so I agree again, is it cool or crazy?
Speaker 3: I think it's cool.
Speaker 1: I think it's cool. It can get cringe if you be chatting it up, you go about that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And if a friend tells you, you don't go tell other people.
Speaker 2: No, that's just between you and a friend, like me, Gianna and like one other person could be in a room together.
Speaker 1: If Gianna tell me some information, I heard it.
Speaker 2: If the walls, if oh gosh, lord, what would happen?
Speaker 1: Then well, we want to know from you all.
Speaker 2: Are you all having conversations around salary with your coworkers, family, friends, loved ones, strangers on the street.
Speaker 1: Like how how open are we?
Speaker 2: I want to know what's the level of open what's the level of openness these days?
Speaker 1: Let us know.
Speaker 2: But in the meantime, thank you guys so much for listening to another fun, slightly chaotic, but very action packed episode.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we always end on the chaotic noise.
Speaker 1: Always gotta go out strong.
Speaker 3: Okay, Yeah, you guys can let us know your take in the newsletter this week. Make sure you're following. It's called Let's Talk offline, where we go even deeper into the topics we discuss on the podcast. The link is in the show to description and in my LinkedIn bio this week, let us know in the comments or share a post on LinkedIn and tag Jamay and I about your take on cool Cringe. We want to chat with all of our work besties.
Speaker 1: Yes now.
Speaker 2: Also, thank you Ben for sending in your question. We loved answering it and we hope that it was valuable for you you all. You all can also send us your questions. Information on how to do that is in the show description. Make sure you check out the show description. There is a lot of resources that will be down there.
Speaker 3: Also, make sure you guys rate and follow the show so you get notified when new episodes get released. And we would love to hear from you what you're taking away from the show, how you're feeling about it. Let us know, leave a review, let us know all right, before you go, remember we've always got your back, So something comes up. Let's Talk Offline. I'm Jianna Predenti.
Speaker 1: And I'm Jamaie Jackson Gadsden, Stay diving.
Speaker 3: Let's Talk Offline is a production of LinkedIn News and iHeart Podcasts. The show is produced by Western Sound. Our producer is Sabrina Fang. The show is edited by Savannah Wright. Our associate producer is Sarah Dilley. Alex mckinnis is our engineer, and Ben Adair is the executive producer.
Speaker 2: Executive producers at iHeart Podcasts are Katrina Norvell and Nikki Etour. We got support from LinkedIn's Jesse Hemple, Sarah Storm and Ayana Angel. Maya Pope Chappelle is director of Content, Dave Pond is head of News Production, Courtney Coop is Head of Original Programming, and Dan Roth is the editor in chief of LinkedIn