Speaker 1: I miss a green, for example, I'm already upset. When I find my ball in the bunker, I'm really upset. And when I find my ball.
Speaker 2: In a brid egg Friday Egg, the dreaded Frida Egg Frida Egg, Frida Egg, Brian Egg, Frida Egg Bride egg Lie.
Speaker 1: I'm about ready to run off of the hump course game. Welcome to the Frida Egg a Golf Podcast. I'm Garrett Morrison and the twenty twenty four US Open at Pinehurst number two is starting tomorrow, so I thought i'd bring on Joseph Lamonia, who was on site for Friday Egg Golf, and we will just talk about a few things. First, I think his initial thoughts on the course. Joseph was out there this morning walking around and seeing what there was to see. And second, the lessons that we both learned from rewatching the last US Open held at Pinehurst number two, which was in twenty fourteen and one in dominant fashion by Martin Kaimer. Both Joseph and I rewatched that final round telecast just to glean any insights we could from it. I think it's always informative to look at these past tournaments and try to get detailed about how the course actually played, because it's easy to forget a lot of the things that happened ten years ago. So our basic intention here is to give you the most specific and accurate impression possible about how we expect the number two course to play this week and which skill sets we believe will be rewarded with that. Let's bring on, Joseph. How you doing, my friend?
Speaker 2: I'm doing great, Garrett. You said that the goal is to give people the best, the most accurate possible impression, So what could possibly go wrong?
Speaker 1: Exactly? I'm setting high expectations and just hoping that we get most of the way there. That's the idea.
Speaker 2: Sounds great, Well, yeah, I'm super excited for this tournament. You know the golf course super well. I feel like I know the golf course very well, So excited to do this pod and kind of that back and forth what we think the tournament's going to play like, because at least heart in recent memory, it's hard to think of a tournament where I'm hearing such a divergence of opinions on how this golf course is going to play like. I've had people messaging me that they think it's just bombs away. Other people think short hitters are going to be completely fine. Some people think short game is going to be everything. Other people think since you can put from around the greens, short game means nothing. This week, it's kind of all over the board.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's interesting. I want to actually let's get into that right off the bat. So what has been the general chatter about the course and what do you make of it? Having walked around the course, where do you come down in this debate about how the course is going to play in various ways?
Speaker 2: I don't know what all the chatter has been because I try to kind of not pay too much attention to that and just focus on how I think it's gonna play. Honestly, Garrett, what I saw in person was what I expected, and I think the main thing that I've been looking for, and I think this is something you're gonna hear from a lot of people, like how penal is some of this grass once you get off the fairway. One thing I've heard a bunch of caddies saying, and I think you're gonna hear people say, is if you just get like a foot or two off the fairway, it's gonna be much more penal than if you're like ten feet or you know, fifteen twenty five feet off the fairway, then there's more thin areas. I think that narrative is gonna is a little overblown. And when people taking it to the next step and saying, since it's true that being ten yards off is better than being one yard off, just bombs away, I don't see it that way. I don't think bombers and just getting reckless and bashing driver everywhere is a good strategy here. So not expecting that, yeah, well, I mean if you just bashed driver everywhere, there's a lot of bottlenecking around where your shots are going to land, first of all, and then there's just that randomness that happens. And if a player embraces that and says, whatever the outcome is, I'm fine with it as long as I stick to my strategy of hitting it as hard as I can, then I almost respect that because that is really a stand that that player is taking at this course as opposed to other courses where the outcomes are just a little more consistent, even if they're pretty penal. Agree, And I would take a little bit of that approach, Like I think there's some opportunities to get aggressive out there, but I think on TV you'll see some balls end up in the fix stuff. But with a totally fine lie, that's not an easy shot, like it's still coming into these greens and how demanding and die of ball they are. I wouldn't want like one hundred and sixty yard shot, even if the live feels pretty clean and it's on sands like the fairway is still providing you a big advantage there. So I just don't why I agree to an extent that this isn't going to be like a hardcore accuracy test and you don't need to be amazing off the t you to thrive here. I think you can just go ahead and spray. It is not necessarily an accurate narrative, okay.
Speaker 1: And then where do you come down on the debate over whether this is going to be a very difficult US Open more of a traditional US Open, even though this is a fairly non traditional US Open course, but traditional in the sense that around even par is going to be possibly a winning score and people will get to see some carnage, or will it be a little bit easier or lower scoring than people expect.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it's super difficult to say score to par without seeing exactly how firm this place this is gonna because if they really if it gets super baked out, obviously extremely difficult. I don't know i'd be interested in what like the Vegas number is right now, but something around like six to eight under seems reasonable. But I think until we have a good grasp on firmness, it's gonna be hard to say anything definitively. Doesn't look like it's gonna rain anymore, and I don't think there's gonna be a lot of wind. So something in that the range of eight under feels reasonable, but even like pin locations have a huge impact on that, So I don't know. Something in that ballpark seems reasonable to me.
Speaker 1: What do you think? I think that you're right that it's gonna be It's gonna be one of those situations where some people are gonna be unhappy with how low the scoring is and other people are going to be legitimate in pointing out that it's actually really hard. I don't think anybody's going to be satisfied. I don't think it's possible to satisfy us open fans these days, partly because of how far players hit the ball and how straight they hit it, and the equipment and the technique that they now have at their disposal, these courses are just way too short. Pinehurst is going to be seventy five hundred yards this week, and that's kind of like too short for these guys. And so if it does get soft out there for whatever reason, because maybe you know, the course gets more rain than expected, then guys could go low. But my suspicion is that the USGA is going to be pretty restrained in the setup, but it's still going to be hard, but it's just not going to be winged Foot nineteen seventy four. We kind of have to put that idea of a US Open behind us because it's just not happening anymore. And by the way, there continue to be really puzzling in bad takes about the lacc Us Open circulated out there. I'm sure that there will be some kind of contrast set up between last year's US Open and this US Open. But the fact of the matter is that that was a hard US Open pretty much after the first day, and that course defended itself fairly well after that first round when it was just a bit softer than I think the setup crew expected, and so I mean there's just that it's almost like it doesn't matter what happens on the course. What matters is the narrative that people spin out of it.
Speaker 2: I'm with you, Garrett, and I think we have to be careful what we want here, like careful what you asked for. There's always trade offs in what people want, right, Like the firmer they make the golf course, the shorter it's gonna play because the ball rolls forever, so you're gonna have fewer long irons in. And the main thing though, is if you make these greens too firm, there are certain holes where there is nowhere to land the ball, like the fifteenth hole right now, long part three, there's almost nowhere to hit that shot and keep it on the green. So you could get carnage quote unquote by really cranking it up it being extremely firm and fast, But at that point it almost turns into golf. It's a little bit gimmicky. I'm all for a hard test, but these are small ish greens. I know that they play much smaller than the square footage, So the square footage isn't that relevant. Here, they play really small if you crank it up. So I'm again I want to see demanding shots. I want to see some blow up numbers. But you're not going to get that much of that without making it kind of a ridiculous test.
Speaker 1: We have already heard from a couple of players so far this week, most notably Wyndom Clark about the early week firmness of the Greens. Wyndam Clark called them borderline on Monday and said said if they push them any firmer and faster than then it would be borderline. And then he followed that up with saying, actually they already are borderline. Now I had some issues with this comment. I think that talking that way on Monday of Championship week is kind of lame. It does seem like he was trying to work the refs a little bit and say you better not make it any faster out there, or I'm not going to be happy. But in any case, that's Wyndham Clark's Monday position. Maybe he'll be happier with it as the week goes on. But as you were walking around the course today, Joseph, what was your own sense of how firm and fast the greens were and the other elements of the course out there. What's the firmness level at this point.
Speaker 2: It's firm, Garrett, But it seems reasonable to me, and the golf course is supposed supposed to play firm. So yeah, it's a lot different than a week in and week out PGA Tour setup. But it didn't feel to me like it was on the edge from what I saw. I do think though, a big part to keep in mind, like I was watching on the sixth hole today, the part of three is just in general this you're gonna see this over and over again where the landing area is so small that what it encourages players to do. Like let's say the pin is back on six like it was today in the practice round, you're not really considering pushing that ball back there because it takes a big hop and goes over the back of the green. You have a serious problem. So I understand Wyndham's concern on it getting too firm, because then you're almost like playing short of a bunch of greens, which you are going to have to do at Pinehurst, and I think that's again a big part of the reason short game is going to be rewarded here, but the USGA has a difficult job here of getting the right firmness level. Didn't see anything today that concerned me.
Speaker 1: I thought Michael Kim made a really good point on Twitter the other day when he actually quote tweeted Friday Golf's tweet about Wyndham's comments and said, there's been a shift in the setup approach that most organizations are taking to big golf tournaments now, where they actually start off the week with firmer and faster greens than they intend to have later in the week, and they kind of rain them in as the week goes on instead of starting softer and firming them up as the week goes on. Now, I'm not exactly sure what the agonomic explanation for this approach would be, but that does seem right to me that that is the approach that's being taken at big tournaments now, not just at the US Open, but other tournaments where we hear comments early in the week from players saying it is insanely firm out here, and then as the week goes on, we hear more and more about the setup crew going out there and syringing the greens, laying a little bit of water down and kind of controlling speed by making them slower as opposed to controlling speed by allowing them to bake out.
Speaker 2: I agree, Yeah, it does seem like they're doing that again, Like today kind of looks like what I would expect it to look like, so especially with maybe if you have more than a seven iron coming in like one big hop, and if you land it too far like middle of the green or middle back of the green, like it's going over, it's bouncing over. I think the people who like firm and fast are going to be happy with his championship. But nothing about what I've seen suggests that they're pushing the line at all. So I'd be interested in if the USGA would corroborate Michael Kim's comments. But it seems sensible to me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we might as well ask actually, come to think of it, I'll write that down and send that question. So in any case, the other big issue going into the week, it seems related to the setup in the golf course, is the short game technique that players might use around the greens. Famously, in twenty fourteen, Martin Kaimer did really well with a putter around the greens and he was visibly uncomfortable hitting wedges off of that short grass surface bermuda grass surface. Around the greens. He much preferred to take the putter and he did really, really well with it. So you know, as you're going around the course, are you keeping an eye on the techniques that players are using, the different approaches that they're using, and what did you see?
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's a lot of putting, and I think putting's a good strategy this week, Garrett, You're also going to see some people use woods around the greens. Saw some of that. I think a lot of it's going to come down to reading your lie and which direction the grain is going. But I would expect to see a lot of putter, and I think it's pretty smart. So I think like Victor Hovelin is a good example where he I think in his press conference he said something like it might be sixty forty for him, sixty putter and forty percent trying some kind of chip shot. He's a player that's historically struggled with the short game a little bit, maybe resembling Kimer in some way, like the elite ball striker. The short game has given him some issues. I think watching what he does around the greens is going to be really interesting. You'll probably see a good amount of putter from him.
Speaker 1: Okay, cool, so a lot of putter out there. I would be curious to specifically see what a player like Jordan Speith is going to do around the greens, because Speef is one a great chipper. He's very confident off of any surface with a lob wedge, and he sticks to that lob wedge right. He uses his sixty degree in pretty much every situation around the greens everywhere, and uses different shot types with it right. He's able to hit it low, he's able to hit it high and do a bunch of things with right exactly. And so I'm curious to see what he would do at Pinehurst. Somebody who is really good at chipping and also pretty consistent in the club that he uses around the greens. If he too is putting and hitting some of these like hybrid chips or fairway wood chips, then you really know that something is different here and that just about everybody is going to be keeping the ball low around the greens.
Speaker 2: It's a good point, and maybe the other player i'd call out somewhat similar similar there is Cam Smith, who yes, is elite with his wedges around a green, but he also I think the Australian angle, and this is something that I had in my notes to bring up. Cam's used to this type of golf. I don't know if Pinehurst. I've never been to Australia, but I do think there's some resemblance there and seeing some past Australian slash New Zealand's success here makes some sense to me. So I think Cam's going to have a good feel for what shots he should try, and he could be another player to look at where if he's going to the putter, it's not because he's incapable of hitting that short game shot maybe like Martin Kaimer was, but because Cam knows that more often than not, that's the right shot that you should try.
Speaker 1: Cool. What are some standout holes for you strategically on the course this week?
Speaker 2: One of my favorite holes out here, Garrett, and I feel like maybe you're not as high on this hole, so it is interested in your opinion. I think the seventh hole is awesome and the way that there's a bunker that kind of juts out down the right side, but overall the fairway dog legs gently to the right and angles to the right, so that the more you take the ball down the left side, the more you the higher the chance that you run out into the thick stuff. So picking a target off the tee is pretty interesting. And like we saw in the twenty fourteen final round rewatching that Martin Kaimer ended up down the left, like if you can pull some kind of iron or some kind of wood, but that's not the safest shot, Like if you pull it a little bit, you might end up in the thick stuff. So I really like that hole in the way that it kind of asks a unique question of players, at least off of the tee. I mean, if you're hitting a little flip wedge in. But I think seven's a pretty cool t shot to keep an eye on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I guess you're right that I'm not as enthusiastic about that hole as some others, and probably as I should be. I don't have any particular reason for not rating the seventh hole as highly as some other holes in that same stretch of the golf course. I just really love the eighth hole, And so you know, when I'm playing the seventh hole, what I'm thinking about is like I'm about to play the eighth hole, which might be my favorite or one of my two favorite holes on the golf course, where that the fairway matched with the land is so cool. The seventh hole, I guess the thing that I didn't love about it when I played it the most recent time was how that area right of the fairway, the native area and the set of bunkers that the fairway wraps around is presented now because it has become pretty penal and I only really took a quick look at it. I didn't like research this take thoroughly enough by walking out there and looking what exactly was done. But to me it just seemed like exhibit a of planting too much wiregrass, making it less random and a little bit less forgiving in the interest of making sure that players wouldn't try to cut off too much of it and make the hole too short. And so I wish they had backed off a bit on the wiregrass there. But that's really my only issue with the hole at this point. Otherwise it's just a matter of not loving it as much as some of the other holes on the course. No, that's fair.
Speaker 2: I think what I like about the seventh toal is something that I just love about Pinehurst in general, which is that at most courses we watch players week in and week out, they're kind of picking a target line and swinging hard on that line right like less center of the fairway because there's a water hazard down the right and ripdriver and just hopefully you're taking a swing that has a relatively tight dispersion. And that's it. On the seventh hole, the line, the distance control is part of that t shot, and that's something that you've talked about the way that other fairways angle as well. It's a cool part of this hole that sure, you can take a certain line, but it depends how far you hit it on that line and how much you're going to be reward and what your web shot is going to look like. In so I think that's what I like about the seventh hole. It's just something completely different than a lot of at least a lot of other courses on the PGA tour.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that's true. And I think that the thing that makes the seventh hole different at Pinehurst is that the angle of the fairway is more acute than it is on other holes that have diagonal fairways, and that puts an extra emphasis on distance control off the tee because if you hit it on the right line, and you hit it a little bit too far, you're pretty likely on the seventh hole to go through the fairway on the other side, whereas on other holes the diagonal isn't quite as severe, so you have a bit more room for error. But the seventh hole, if you tug that a little bit left, which I think is a common thing to do on that hole because the right side of the hole is so intimidating, then you're probably going to find some kind of chancey lie in the native area on the other side of the fairway. So it is fun to watch. I will give the hole that any other holes that stood out to.
Speaker 2: You overall, Gary, and not to take this in the negative direction versus the positive. But like I'm I've always been a little underwhelmed with the stretch between eleven to fourteen, and I'm especially bringing that up because i know how high you are on that stretch of holes, so I'm like a little underwhelmed by that stretch. But I think the fifth hole in particular is like going to be one of the most fun holes to watch all week, So the positive there, The one that I think is going to be super fun would be five, and then maybe a little underwhelmed by the eleven to fourteen stretch.
Speaker 1: Okay, what underwhelms you about the eleven to fourteen stretch? And I also love five.
Speaker 2: By the way, I don't know that it's that I think think any of the holes aren't bad, but I just think so much of the they seem relatively tame. They're hard, they're long, but there's nothing super diabolical about them, and maybe it's just where they fall and the routing, but I just don't find those holes to stand out as much having played there, like trying to think back on the shots that I had to play like, they're pretty straightforward. I'd be interested in your counter argument to some of that. But the thirteenth hole in particular, I don't think that's that fun of a hole when they make it drivable, And maybe we'll get into that with three watching from twenty fourteen, but it's such a narrow layup, it's an obvious just hit driver up there, and being in some of those green side bunkers isn't that much of a problem. There's nothing extreme enough around that green to make you think twice about hitting a driver up there, or three would for a lot of these guys. So that might be a hole that there could be some eagles and definitely a lot of birdies, but it's a pretty benign drivable for when they set it up to be drivable, that laying up's just not really an attractive option given how narrow that layup would be.
Speaker 1: I agree with that about thirteen. I do not like it as a driveable par four, and that was one of my takeaways from watching the twenty fourteen telecast. I think that it's a really cool short part four that they've made worse by narrowing it on the left side. I think the big question on that hole is like what club you're taking off the tee and where you're laying up to give yourself the best chance of a non terrifying wedge approach into the green. I think that's the spirit of the hole, and for me it really works. Maybe it doesn't work as well for professionals because of how far they hit the driver now, but I think it's a wonderful short part four for amateurs at the very least, and that's usually the perspective I take when I'm judging a hole to be good or not. You know, I'm not thinking quite as much about how a US Open field would approach that because that's one time every few years as opposed to every single day, you know, like many many people playing this course. So it is a course for amateurs.
Speaker 2: Totally fair.
Speaker 1: All right. Before we get into our thoughts about the twenty fourteen US Open more in depth, I'd like to say a word about Echo Golf shoes. The latest shoe from Echo Golf is the LT one. This is a sneaker style modern design, and what I like about Echo is that they always have something new up their sleeves with the tech in their shoes. This year, the LT one features lighter foam lytr Foam, which is this advanced bounce and rebound material that you'll find embedded in the sole of the shoe. What you really need to know about this stuff is that it's very flexible, very comfortable, and makes walking eighteen holes much easier than it would be otherwise. You can also wear the LT one in some serious weather because the leather upper is waterproof, not to mention soft and durable. Finally, the Echo LT one is available in both laced and boa options. You know, when it comes to golf shoes, quality really matters. If you get a substandard or just average shoe, you're going to need to replace it pretty quickly because golf shoes take a beating. But with Echo you get real quality, real durability, and a shoe that's going to hold up against all the walking and the weather you can throw at it. And that's why players like Lydia Co, Eric Van Ruyan, and Hendrik Stenson wear this shoe. So shop the Echo LT one and other Echo products at Echo dot com. That's Echo Ecco dot com, All right, Joseph. We rewatched the twenty fourteen US soapen the final round, which is available on YouTube for anybody who's interested in watching five hours of Martin Kimer being the obvious winner all day long. Clearly not the most compelling final round competitively that has ever happened in major championship golf, but certainly gives a perspective on how this course might play this week, and that's why we watched it to try to pick up some insights about Pinehurst Number two and how pros might approach it now. Obviously, We're ten years on and pros will be playing this course differently even than they did ten years ago. But let's talk about basic overall impressions of the twenty fourteen US Open. What were some of your thoughts and notes about this round of golf?
Speaker 2: Probably my biggest takeaway and least instructive was that we missed Johnny Miller badly. And if anybody wants, let's start there. If anybody wants some incredible Johnny Miller lines and seeing him, I would highly recommend going and going back and watching the twenty fourteen final round. Garrett, I don't know what your favorite was. I saw that you tweeted out Keegan Bradley was wearing some pretty bright red shoes that Johnny Miller kept alluding to Dorothy from Wizard of Oz and like Keik and Bradley would take a swing and Johnny would be like, you know, click click, and the balls about to go near the hole, like he just over and over again, and.
Speaker 1: I was dying.
Speaker 2: Absolutely a highlight for me with some of the Johnny Miller quotes.
Speaker 1: He would not let it go about Keegan's red shoes, and then you know, among other Sartorial commentary Johnny Miller. When Ricky Fowler was kind of falling well behind Martin Kaimer and it was obvious that he wasn't going to win that day, Johnny said something to the effect of, well, I guess you got to try something other than that orange outfit, because it doesn't seem to be working.
Speaker 2: Yeah, on sun birdle specifically, Yeah, on Sundays, try try something else on Sundays, Ricky. Yeah, there was this. There was a part where Sergio hits a chip I think it was on six, and it hits a sprinkler head and flies like way back and off the green. It's a bad break, but the broadcast is emphasizing how bad of a break it was, and Johnny's like, well he did chili dip it, though it would have been way short anyway. He just gives it to you straight. I love it. And one comment I wanted that he made that I wanted to get your opinion on. He says near the end of the broadcast, to me, these greens are over the top. Literally, I just think they need to be redone back to where Ross had them. What was your reaction to hearing Johnny Miller say that on the telecast it just came out of nowhere.
Speaker 1: It did. It felt like Johnny just got into the to the mode of saying negative things, and that was just one more negative thing to say, because he wasn't like setting up that take. As the telecast went on, it just kind of flew in when Kimer and Fowler were playing the fifteenth hole, right, which is a very very severely domed green. The funny thing about it is that I sort of agree with him, but not for the reasons that maybe he had for saying that. I do think that the original ross greens at Pinehurst number two were lower to the ground, and that they made a conscious decision not to restore them because they needed the course to be as difficult as it was in twenty fourteen and be as difficult as it will be in twenty twenty four And a big part of the difficulty of the course obviously these days, is that you know, approach shots repel off from the middle, and if the course didn't have that, then we would have much much lower scoring US opens at it. So I see why they didn't restore the ross greens, but I think that the course would probably be a bit better and more varied if they did. But Johnny's reasons for saying that, I don't know. I think he just had the feeling at the moment that what happened to Kimer's ball was unfair, and so he just went ahead and made that comment. But it is glaring how much more willing Johnny Miller was to be negative and to say true but critical things about players and the shots that they were hitting than anybody who's on any network telecast today. And the element that Johnny brought to those telecasts was just fantastic. So anyway, I'd like to move on from that and talk a little bit more about the play. But that is like a huge thing that is so obvious when you watch those older NBC telecasts that everybody misses Johnny Miller. So what were some of the things that you saw in terms of shots that players were hitting and the style of the course and the skill set that it was rewarding that day.
Speaker 2: I think the shot that might stand out to me most from the entire thing is pretty early in the telecast. Phil Mickelson has a bunker shot on the ninth green that is right on the edge of being a good shot but then falls off all the way down the front of that green and something that people just need to be prepared for this week. I'm sure it's already been hammered home a little bit. Johnson Wagner has been hitting some chip shots from around the green on Golf Channel. The ninth hole is terrifying, like, yeah, when the pin's back, you can go long and you have a problem front pins terrifying like that green is so severe that that was the shot that was most shocking to me and illuminated the importance of short games. So I've even seen a little bit as if we've already touched on of people saying that since you can putt from some around some of these greens, maybe short game won't be that big of a deal. I do not agree with that. I think short game is going to be extremely important in that feel. Nicholson's shot was illustrative of why.
Speaker 1: There was also a hole in one on nine during the final round from Your Guy the twenty fourteen US Open by Zach Johnson. Yeah. Absolutely. They replayed it about fifteen times, and it happened early in the day, so they had plenty of opportunities to revisit it. But so when it comes to Martin Kaymer big runaway here, like nobody had a chance. What do you think it was about Kimer's game that made him so solid at this US Open, And what can we learn from that and apply to our expectations for this week.
Speaker 2: It's a good question. I'm kind of expecting that this US Open will reward a very different type of player than we see week in and week out. It shouldn't be lost that Martin Kimer was an extremely good golfer at the time. His ball striking was incredible that week. But I think, for example, his ability to put from around the greens, I don't think that means that there's going to be an inclination to say that short game isn't as important because you can do that, But that's a different type of short game shot that certain players are more well equipped to handle than others. So I think what Martin Kimer illustrates is, Yeah, if you're a great ball striker and you're creative around the greens, it might not be the type of around the green shot we're accustomed to seeing, but that doesn't mean it doesn't take an enormous amount of skill. So I think we could see some different names in the mix. I like the Australian angle a little bit. As I've already mentioned. Could there be a runaway winner, Yeah, but I wouldn't expect that just from seeing one instance of that in twenty fourteen.
Speaker 1: Okay, So going into the final round in twenty fourteen, these were the players who were in the mix. Top of the leaderboard. You had Martin Kaimer. You had Eric Compton, one of the great kind of random high finishes, and then major that I can remember. Eric Compton made what was it six major starts and made two cuts, one of which was a T two at Pinehurst number two and twenty fourteen, and the other was like fifty first place or something at the next year's Masters. So this was like, obviously he was a great player, but this was a truly random type of contender Eric Compton, So I don't know much about what his game was. He certainly wasn't super long. You had Ricky Fowler basically at his peak, this was peak Ricky Fowler. You had Dustin Johnson, Hendrik Stenson, Brant Snedeker, Brooks Koepka, Matt Kocher, Kevin nah Those were the players going into the final round who were lingering around even par or under and in Kymer's case, obviously significantly under par. So what do you take away from that group of players? Is there anything to take away from that group of players?
Speaker 2: I think that you could see some randomness and some players that you normally wouldn't see contend. I think the key to this US Open, similar to twenty fourteen, is like controlling the ball and having good iron playing short game. A player that came to mind or comes to mind thinking about that statistical profile is Kevin Nah back in that in that era when Kevin Na was a much better golfer than he is now, Like not the longest off of the tee, but I wouldn't be looking at off the tee as a huge indicator of success this week. You can get away with a little bit of there's some whipp and even if you get a little off of that, you can get away with some fine lies as long as you have a good short game. So I think Kevin Nah's instructive of what we could see this week, and then just the general like you're mentioning with Eric Compton, I think you could see a long shot or two that hasn't necessarily contended in a major, get into contention this week at Piners, and we might see some really good players like Scotti Scheffler, Xander Schaffley get thrown off, especially on one of these long long par threes, run into a bogie, a double bogie and not be in the mix. And I don't think much is surprise us, at least in this tournament.
Speaker 1: So that element of randomness and the potential for a long shot winner or a group of long shot contenders is something that I think will be a big part of the discussion this week because we just came off a major at Valhalla where the number one defense of the course was that it generated a leaderboard full of players that are recognizable and that we all acknowledge as today's best players. And a lot of people were saying, yeah, I don't really like this course either. This is not my preferred style of architecture or setup, but you can't deny what Valhalla does in producing this type of leaderboard. Now, what we're saying going into Pinehurst is that it's kind of the opposite where the course does seem to be capable of generating some more random outcomes. And so do you think that's going to be a problem for the USGA and Pinehurst number two this week. And are we you and I Joseph going to get some blowback from people who are saying, you guys were shitting on Valhalla all PGA Championship week and now we come into Pinehurst and you say it's a great course, but look at this leaderboard? Who are these random people?
Speaker 2: Garrett? I think the best case study or example of this will be the fifteenth hole here at Pinehurst, where there is almost nowhere to land that golf ball and it can roll into some really tricky spots. That is not necessarily the type of hole you would build if you wanted the number one ranked golfer to show up at the top of the leaderboard at the end of the week. Right if they played that whole seventy two times, like you could get some funky results. Now do people want to watch that hole and watch that style of hole? Like, I think that's a good golf hole and it's going to be entertaining. And sure it might not be the most again elevating talent to the top, Like there's going to be an element of randomness, but that doesn't make it a bad test that maybe would play a little better if the green were a little bit bigger. But in general, like I think that's the trade off that we're basically talking about here, Like you're seeing more interesting shots, a lot of variety, a lot of different players that can contend, but there is the increased chance then of some long shot winner. And then how that affects the legacy of the tournament, right because you're defending champion is potentially a long shot and not Xander Schoffley or Scotty Scheffler or Rory McElroy. All that said, like we might get Scotty scheffer this week. He's three to one to win the tournament. But what you're saying, I mean, I completely agree with So where do you land on all that?
Speaker 1: It's exactly what you're saying that you have to watch the golf shots. That's really where Pinehurst Number two and courses like it come alive during tournaments is if you actually see the golf shots that are being hit and see how interesting they are and how high stakes they are, and look at the things that happen to the ball once it hits the ground. That's the good stuff that Pinehurst number two offers, and as a result, of that, some sort of stuff we might see outcomes that we're not used to on the PGA Tour because this is a different type of course than the PGA Tour. And for me, that's the point to hammer home that players who thrive at Pinehurst number two, the players who will thrive this week, won't necessarily be bad players or not have deserved their success at the course. They're just there because they played this course well, and maybe other courses that they play regularly on the PGA Tour or the dp World Tour or live don't highlight their skill sets in the same way or give such an advantage to other players, to the players that we're all familiar with, that it's hard for these kind of more obscure players to succeed on a week to week basis on the PGA Tour because the the Xanders and the Cantles, et cetera are so geared to succeed at a PGA Tour style venue. They are dominant at those venues. But you put them at Pinehurst number two with a field full of accomplished golfers and they don't have the same kind of advantage. And I think that that's something to appreciate.
Speaker 2: And Garrett like, if it is a couple stars in the mix on Sunday, like, then you have dynamite because you have unbelievably compelling golf shots combined with some of those characteristics that you love of Vahalla where you have a bunch of stars at the top. The other point I would make that I don't love doing the like, well, these are the same people, and like assuming people are in the same groups, but I think sometimes it's the same type of crowd that wants carnage at the US Open. That also then maybe come I don't say why they want carnage at the US Open, but also maybe defend Valhalla to an extent because it produced a good leaderboard. Again, I'm not saying it's necessarily the same crowd, but if you turn up like these greens, like you make them crazy, and let's say there's a ton of winds, like you'd get carnage, but you'd get results that are even more random. So there's just there's always these trade offs and be careful what you ask for, because again the fifteenth hole is a great example, or if it were super windy and you really cranked it up like enjoy watching the triple Bogies, but you're also not necessarily going to get the talent at the top, Right, how about Nelly Corda at Lancaster. Like you can see carnage, but you also might take one of the best players in the world out of contention. My chances of beating Scotty Scheffler on a hole on the fifteenth hole at Pinehurst go way up when the greens are so ridiculously firm. That's scott Even Scotty has nowhere to go and his ball could end up in a bad spot. Right, So, like there's just that trade off there that I would be very cautious in advocating for carnage.
Speaker 1: I feel like we didn't talk quite enough about Kimer. So before we wrap up, what are some of the things that you liked about the way that Kimer played on Sunday, Because he wasn't fully on the whole day, and yet he shot sixty nine, which is better than anybody else who was kind of reasonably in contention and had a stranglehold on the tournament from hole one to hole eighteen. He did have a couple of loose shots, a couple of loose holes, but somehow or another. He was just super steady. So what was he doing well? What was his secret that week?
Speaker 2: I feel like there were some loose shots mixed in, but like the quality of a lot of his other shots was unbelievable, Like he drove the third green, and that's like a ridiculously hard green to drive to hit something far that high and online like to where he had a reasonable look at eagle, Like that's just a ridiculous golf shot. So I don't know, he never got himself into too much trouble. I really like the around the green the putting strategy, so I think that's something he did well, and he did it marvelously. It's not an easy shot, he was good at it. So I guess that combination of elite ball striking, keeping himself out of trouble and being smart around the greens pretty good recipe.
Speaker 1: So looking at that and then looking at the field this week, are there players who stand out for you aside from Scotti Scheffler.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think yes, But also considering like, don't get too confident on any one player, because I think there's gonna be a little bit higher of an element of randomness. Then we've seen it other major championship venues recently. I think the mart When I've been looking at courses, not too many line up with like it's a totally distinct test, but I think there's some similarities with Sawgrass and maybe with Colonial a little bit the emphasis on the short game. I mean Sawgress has water everywhere, in Pinehurst has water nowhere, So there's some clear differences, right, But we're also taking Martin Kimer and Ricky Fowler two players champions, and I think an example of a name that kind of fits the bill would be cam Smith, who his form is questionable. He shot eighty on Sunday and Live Houston, but he's actually been a good golfer over the last year. I know he's disappeared a little bit since he's been playing on a tour that's less visible, but camp Smith's been pretty good over the last year, and he's been good in majors for a lot of his career. I like the Australian angle a little bit and I think he'll know what to do around the greens and one of his biggest weaknesses is that he can get a little bit aaron off the tea, which I think you're going to be able to get away with, so maybe a volatile option. But I think camp Smith's kind of an interesting name to keep an eye on, who checks a lot of the boxes that I'd probably be looking for this week.
Speaker 1: I also think that, you know, just looking at good Iron players probably is a solid way to go about identifying some players who might do well this week. So Colin Morikawa, you know, I think is an obvious direction to go there, and he's been playing well recently. Victor Hovland, if he kind of dials in the technique with the putter from Off the Greens, he might be a really good direction to go to. Something that's kind of odd is that as I was watching the Memorial last week, I was thinking to myself, a lot of the players who are doing well here are ones that I would sort of expect to be all right at Pinehurst as well. Even though Mierfield Village and Pinehurst Number two are really really different courses, do you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: I do know what you mean. Yeah, there's some big differences, especially visually, but Mierfield Village is a pretty complete test, hardcore Iron tests, and it does test the short game a little bit, right, Big Tee to green separator, so I wouldn't use it as it wouldn't be the first course that I would call to mind, but I would agree like Colin morcab is a great name to shout out, especially because he's been way better at the short game this year. It's by far his best short game you're on tour, So I like that call.
Speaker 1: So other than that, it's just a really hard tournament to predict. It's a unique golf course and it really is one of my favorites. I'm going to write something for the newsletter for tomorrow, I think where I'll identify a few details like architectural details to look for on the telecast. When you know what to look for, I think this golf course becomes really exciting and just one of the most fascinating places to play golf in the world. So, you know, aside from watching it on TV this week, I would also encourage people to make it a priority to get to this course at some point in your life and play it for yourself, because it truly is a course that plays beautifully for amateurs as well as for pros, and that is just a massive rarity, and I think it's a big part of why I'm excited for this tournament because it is one of those courses that you can play too and you can get something out of it that is maybe even more exciting than what we'll see in the US Open, and you can't say that about many golf courses.
Speaker 2: Totally agree, Garrett. I agree with that it plays better parameters too, like that was one of the big takeaways from walking around. So you can play it right, and you can play it well, you can shoot a decent score out there.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, all right, Joseph, thanks for coming on the podcast during a very busy week for you at Pinehurst number two. I hope you have a great time this week and I'm looking forward to seeing the things that you write in the Friday newsletter and elsewhere. So thanks for coming on the pod, and make sure to get a little bit of rest occasionally this week as well.
Speaker 2: Thanks Garrett.
Speaker 1: This episode of the Friday Golf Podcast was produced by Matt Rusius. Thank you, Matt. If you'd like to do something for us real quick that is very helpful, give us a rating and review wherever you happen to be listening to us, whether that's Spotify or Apple, just tell us how you think we're doing and help us find new listeners by doing that. Thank you for listening, and we'll be back again soon with another episode.