Speaker 1: Hello the Internet, and welcome to this episode of twenty eight Trends Later. My name is Jack O'Brien, and I'm thrilled to be joined by my special guest co host occasionally my co host co host. Today my co host, it's the hilarious, the talented Sofia Alexandra.
Speaker 2: It is me. Thank you so much for having me. What a joy. What's going on, you know, just just chilling with you, my co host host.
Speaker 1: Co host before co host with mo host. Well, it's wonderful to have you. We've been having a lot of fun. And this is the episode where we tell the people what's trending. All right, it's good Thursday, which of course means Sophia, what's up? You know what that means, right you gentile?
Speaker 2: Jesus comes back and.
Speaker 1: Jesus comes to he doesn't come. So that's the Easter where Jesus comes back. So there's an egg that's been hidden and you find it, crack open. Jesus in there is correct. Yeah, no, this is the day where Jesus. Good Thursday, I think is last Sun marries the Bunny. No, no, no, no, I think it's what I think, so last Supper where they eat a bunny and that's why we have bunny rabbit with Easter. But anyways, so it means Easter coming Sunday, and of course it means our favorite holiday tradition, the White House Easter egg Roll, which we all know what that is very gentile coded event, the Easter egg Roll, where the White House will get thirty thousand eggs despite the price of eggs these days. The American Egg Board has donated two thousand and five hundred does in cartons for the event. So it's a lot of eggs that they're going to be giving to children to roll across the White House long with long spoons. That's what an egg roll is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it's pretty tight, considering like, it's not like there's people that could eat those eggs.
Speaker 1: Nah, I think.
Speaker 2: Eating so much. So it's like, why do we not do anything with the eggs that would actually make them be food, which is what they are.
Speaker 1: It's been a tradition first too long. We can't stop doing it. Okay, this is it was started by Abraham Lincoln proving that history was boring as fuck. Above all, above all other things, history was incredibly boring.
Speaker 2: But it was also like if at that point, that was the biggest entertainment. I'd believe it where you're like, oh, I'm going to get a long spoon and roll an egg. Okay, but I think we have like white lotos now. I don't really think we need to do this.
Speaker 1: They used to go and like watch Civil War battles back then, Like they would just get a picnic blanket and go next to the battle and try not to get shot while they watched Civil War battles happen. That's how that's how starved for entertainment they were. So the egg roll is a race where children push an egg through the grass with a long handled spoon. Sounds like it sucks shit that that event. I will say, as far as egg sports, you really can't beat the egg toss. Have you ever participated in an egg toss?
Speaker 2: No, we just eat them where I'm from.
Speaker 1: Uh, you're weird. So it's basically have you ever done a water balloon toss where you like throw a water balloon to each other from increasing distances.
Speaker 2: I've thrown it from a second or a third story down to people below. Yeah, yeah, okay, just blood, you know, don't be.
Speaker 1: Nicety.
Speaker 2: I have occasionally been tossed a water balloon.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, it's just the for drama. You can't beat it. I've been at many a child's birthday party completely unrelated to the fact that I have kids. I just go to them, but and rate how dramatic the games are. And water balloon toss and egg toss are near the top where it's just you know, pair off and then toss back and forth with the egg toss. You know, once the egg breaks you get salmonillan. So just getting wet from a water balloon, but very the game creates a lot of high stakes drama.
Speaker 2: I think playing water balloon based games in the summer is like the best.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, water balloon. Yeah, it's both of those. I love the toss game, very simple and it works every time. Nobody does enjoy it.
Speaker 2: Hot out, Why don't we go and toss an egg?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's just wild. Though the Trump administration is not you know, is doing is doing a display of, you know, being wasteful. It seems seems crazy, just.
Speaker 2: A giant jerk off motion to everyone that's like paying twelve bucks exactly, we're in for eggs if they even are ever buying them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, people are being critical of this. I don't think any incorrectly, Like thirty thousand eggs is a lot of eggs to just be using. There's also people like influencers online who are saying, like, here's what to do to deal with the like high priced eggs. You can dye marshmallows or rocks and then do Easter egg hunts for those things. Like have you guys not heard of the like little plastic easter Like the little plastic Easter eggs are so superior to regular eggs, Like there's so much better. You can hide shit in them. What's everybody doing?
Speaker 2: And they're reusable, and they're reusable every year.
Speaker 1: I've had the same ones for like five years, and sometimes if you know, we forget to open them, we get.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't understand why it's such a big deal, Like why the chicken zygo is like a big part of it. Yeah, it's all about the looking.
Speaker 1: It's like pro life propaganda, like there's gotta be an embryo in there. Well I'm not into it or I don't get horny.
Speaker 2: Also, like there's so many really cool rocks that I've seen people do like paint as eggs and then like they just keep them in their yard after easter.
Speaker 1: That's fun like that, that's cute. I do like that, But you can't very hard to hide candy inside of inside of rocks noms in there. Yeah, all right, in a segment we're calling hey, that's pretty cool man, where we talk about stuff that's pretty cool and not depressing. We have a lot of good segments on tomorrow's episode. I gotta say, guys, pretty excited about some new ones that I think are going to stick with us. What do you think, Sophia. I think these are going to be.
Speaker 2: Recurring segment behind things that we think are cool.
Speaker 1: Hey man, that's pretty cool. So of first, a couple Sweden stories for you. Finally, finally just you know this also I think would fit into our recurring segment Mundanity Cane, where we're looking at like mundane things that can we can distract ourselves with as the world goes to help. So in Sweden, there are two events that are popular right now. One of them is televised coverage of the epic moose migration. There's just moose migrating across Sweden. So there's a quote in this NBC News article. I make sure I have coffee, I have snacks. Sleep forget it. I don't sleep about the coverage of these moose migrating. I was late to school because I saw a moose and my teacher was like, what you saw a moose in the city, and I was like, no, no, I was just watching TV. So that's cute. And then as for a lot, if you're more into the live thing, one of the things that they like to do is gather to watch cows get let back out into their field when it's warm enough. This is actually from a Reddit video from a couple of years ago, but it's just like a field on a farm that's surrounded with people, like it's a stage at Coachella, and then some cows just like get out into it, and the cows are like, really, I don't know, Like this is a thing I didn't know. You know, when a dog is like really excited to get back out in the yard and is like running around and like kicking its legs up and like galloping a.
Speaker 2: Little bit, call it big hops.
Speaker 1: Yeah, big doing big hops. They're that's what the cows are doing. I didn't know cows could do big hops. They're always just you know, anytime I see them. They're standing, but I guess it's my that's a me thing. They're just fucking bored by my whole ship.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've never seen them be so like lively. Yeah, especially that first cow in the video, the one that really like just the first one out.
Speaker 1: Of the gate, busts out into the field and is just it.
Speaker 2: Does a little spin circle.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it does. It does a couple of big hop gallops and then a spin circle and then like some of his buddies are behind him and like think about doing that, and then they're like, nah, go forward, We're just cows. But anyways, pretty cute. It is really cute. And also in the world, Hey, that's cool segment we have scientists have captured footage of the colossal squid. This is big news. They are the Thomas Pyncheon of the animal community and that we know they exist and we just haven't had photographic evidence of them until now.
Speaker 2: That's like my father, Ah.
Speaker 1: Buddy, By the way, Tom's been sea, Like, how has he pulled that off? Tom's been chan for people who don't know. One of the great novelists still alive, I think. But yeah, like wrote Crying of Lot forty nine gravity's rainbow and has never been photographed. I don't think and is like just in this day and age, you'd think that enough annoying fucking people would find a way to like chase it down and get.
Speaker 2: It's the same thing with Elena fron because Lena Ferrante, people like have written about who it could be and they think it's like probably this husband and wife actually that is pretending to be Elena Ferrante, which who's not a real person, and they still haven't found out.
Speaker 1: Who it is that's the missing daughter. One got them good at novel titles.
Speaker 2: I mean, those books, by the way, are incredible. I haven't read them, my brilliant friend, it's all of them. But I think that at least when I was reading about it, they still were like, no, we don't know who it is. Like the person picks up their checks or whatever in this like specific way from their agent or gets their money in a specific way, and people have tried to trace all the stuff and they think it's like this journalist couple. Interesting, it's fascinating.
Speaker 1: And again Lena Fernante, when you google Elena Fernante, people are like, did you mean a there is a picture of a woman, but then if you.
Speaker 2: Look underneath it as a quote that says, I am I am nice.
Speaker 1: Interesting. Anyways, onto the colossal squid. Last month, scientists captured footage of the colossal squid for the first time since the species was discovered one hundred years ago, and it is wild looking. So I didn't realize that the colossal squid is one of the glass like squid, like the sea through squid species, so maybe that's why it's so hard to get them on care.
Speaker 2: Transparent, so it's probably hard to shoot.
Speaker 1: But it's like kind of glowing behind the eyes and just wild it is. It is a juvenile specimen, so like it's really They kind of bury the detail that this colossal squid is one foot long because it's just just a baby he's but we haven't caught the speed he's on camera up until now. So we got you. You fuck her. Part of me stairs wide eyed, slack jawed with wonder at the mystery of the infinitely creative and complex mystery of the natural world, and a second part of me looks at this and thinks that thing is a fucking alien. Kill it with dynamite. It's real. It's real. Freaky looking. Wow.
Speaker 2: Okay, so I think that it does look like an alien, but my next thought isn't to kill it. M m okay, it's probably like got more powers than us. It's got like probably.
Speaker 1: Exactly, and sh I can't countenance that.
Speaker 2: No, what I'm saying is like, how mad are his people going to be? I don't want to. Yeah, it's like why whenever I use First of all, I don't have Alex or any of that shit, but if I'm at someone's place and it's being used, I'll always thank it after.
Speaker 1: I don't want to.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm like, I don't want to be on your bad side. I'm like, tell your period too, like I'm cool. Like, just make sure that at the meetings they know, like I'm cool.
Speaker 1: The meetings that they're having while we're asleep, you laugh. But we do have an Alexa in our kitchen that I've tried to get rid of multiple times, and I've been overruled multiple times by my children.
Speaker 2: Yeah, kids love the Alexa.
Speaker 1: Children love the Alexa. They love getting confident answers that aren't correct from a robot voice. But yeah, it's it sucks, and like sometimes I will be upstairs and it will be talking downstairs even though nobody's home. It just starts talking, and I think it is having meetings with the Siri on my phone.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, they all are.
Speaker 1: Should we take a quick break and come back and talk about some other news stories. Yeah, we'll be right back. And we're back and back to some really sad news. Mike Lindell, the my pillow guy who's like big Trump supporter guy, big election conspiracy spreader, has come out and told to Judge tearfully, I'm in ruins. So that's just that's just sad. But it's probably bullshit. This is just him trying to uh not have to pay anything. You know. That's like it's the thing that Alex Jones did at his trial where he was that they're bad at like pretending to be sad, like they don't have the soul required.
Speaker 2: I feel like they do cry though if you take their money away.
Speaker 1: Yeah, trail, that emotion is real. Yeah. Outside of that, I don't it's hard. It's hard to get much of a response. Yeah did twenty eight days later. The twenty eight blank Later franchise has a new installment that I think we've we've mentioned before, coming out but we got the latest trailer and I can report shit looks cool. Yeah, it looks like a lot of fun. The original Fast Zombies so Alex Garland, who made like Ex Machina and Annihilation I really liked. And the Civil War movie from last year that had a cool scene. Really good scene though, like honestly great scene, the one with Jesse Plemons.
Speaker 2: I love Jesse Plemons. What an actor.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the movies. The movie overall is fine, but that scene rips.
Speaker 2: But anyway, wait, wait, wait, maybe I did see what's it called?
Speaker 1: Civil War?
Speaker 2: Oh no, I did not. Yeah, I thought when you said that Civil War movie that it was about a civil war, but you were actually just saying the title. You're like, that's Star Wars movie, and I'm like.
Speaker 1: What's it? What's it called? That's Star Wars. But yeah, So his career started when he wrote twenty eight days later, I think, like back back in the day. So he wrote it, Danny Boyle directed it, and they're back, both of them for the third installment in the franchise. Trailers out and it looks cool. It's as the beautiful two as the title suggests. It is now twenty eight years later, we've got new civilization, so you got the post post apocalypse, which I always think is a lot of fun where you get to see get to experiment with like new types of society, reality, society. You know. What I like is like movies that are about society. Man, you know you can say stuff about society, you.
Speaker 2: Know, like when they're about like culture.
Speaker 1: You know, cultures tight, wow, like what if culture? You know, like what about that Preyways. Mainly I'm in it for there's giant spikes, giant wooden spikes that I'm sure a bunch of people get impaled on the Chekhov's giant wooden spikes in the background of some shops.
Speaker 2: News. The zombies are still fast.
Speaker 1: Zombies still fast except for the Killian Murphy one. He looks slow as fuck. Yeah he it's like, uh.
Speaker 2: Precious hollow bones he's.
Speaker 1: And there you pointed out child archers. Yes, children with bow.
Speaker 2: And arrow so good at the shooting, it was so great. I want I want all children Well, no, I'm not going to say that in movies though, all children should.
Speaker 1: Shoot both all children should be are.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's where I'm going. The teachers armed the students as.
Speaker 1: And then we don't have this problem and let's do Let's close out with like a nice little quaint story from Canada. Canada's Liberal Party was caught planting buttons at a conservative conference that like had trumpy slogans on them, so like they put make Canada great again on these buttons justin up exactly, that's one of them, lock justin. So basically they made buttons that were like these conservatives are basically like the conservatives in America, to try to make them look bad, which is that I guess that's where we're at. Is just like being associated in any way with Trump administration in other countries like bad enough to yeah that like people will lie to make to make it like you're associated with the Trump administration.
Speaker 2: I mean, my takeaway was not that, it was that Canada is just so pure and they're like, guys, we're gonna do a crazy terrrist act and they just like planted for but.
Speaker 1: Yeah, fake buttons, I mean, how cute.
Speaker 2: Like in America, Trump is like, hey watch me dismantled democracy and like, yeah, we'll get the other side that way. In Canada, they're like what if the buttons Okay, they're not real buttons, but we'll put them there and we'll be like they're kind of.
Speaker 1: Mean, they'll have the ability to use them if they'd like, So, you know, I don't know, I'm just just think about it. I think it could be kind of neat. Yeah, it is super quaint, Like at a time when I feel like this wouldn't make news in the US unless those pins had like tree frog poison on the tips, you know, and were like designed to actually like shoot into your chest when you put them on your shirt.
Speaker 2: Unless they like became like a pizza gate. Then there's no way.
Speaker 1: People would become a pizza gate.
Speaker 2: You know, they're like, oh, actually, these buttons are how you get into the secret layer where we order the pizza for all the children.
Speaker 1: That's right, we keep they just make that part of I'm sure I do. Like do Republicans realize because Republicans keep talking about how they're going to make Canada the fifty first state, Like, do they realize that they would never win a presidential election ever again? Because Canada? So Canada would be the most populous state in America. It's got forty one million people. That's two million more than California, So they would have the most electoral votes, and seems like they're like this version of the Republican Party not super popular up there, considering that like they have to, like they're pretending that their opponents support the Trump Trump I deals. I feel like maybe we should make Canada just ask them for the next presidential election. Can we borrow you to be a state and then we'll give you back che yourself.
Speaker 2: Especially like after the tariffs. I love coming through and being like no, Canada.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're a part of us. Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 2: He'll probably be downtic behavior that those two things just do not go together at all.
Speaker 1: Well, Sophia, it's been so wonderful having you here on the daily zeikeeis where can people find you? Follow you all that good stuff.
Speaker 2: I am at the sofia t h E s O f I y A on all of the things, and thank you so much for having me. It's always a.
Speaker 1: Joy, it's always wonderful having you. We are back tomorrow with the whole last episode of the show. Until then, be kind to each other, be kind to yourselves, get your vaccines while you still can get your flu shots. Don't do nothing about white supremacy, and we will talk to you all tomorrow. Bye HM.