Speaker 1: Hi, get everybody.
Speaker 2: I'm Dan Hoard and thanks for downloading The Bengals Booth Podcast. The turn Around addition, as the Bengals look to bounce back from a Week one loss to New England as they head to Kansas City to take.
Speaker 3: On the Chiefs.
Speaker 2: Coming up by one on one conversation with Bond Bell, who made one of the biggest plays in team history at Arrowhead Stadium. Jim Nantz will be in the booth for CBS and has an interesting comparison between Joe Burrow and a legendary golfer. And in our nother faux segment, we get an in depth look at the Chiefs from their radio analyst Danan Hughes. The Bengals Booth Podcast is brought to you by pay Corps, proud to be the Bengals official HR software provider by Alta Fiber future proof fiber Internet designed to elevate your home, business, and community to a new level, and by Kettering Health the best care for the best fans. Kettering Health is the official healthcare provider of the Bengals. Now here's a quick reminder that you can have the latest edition of this podcast delivered right to your phone tablet or computer by subscribing wherever you get your podcasts. It's the greatest thing since the Hall of Famer. In our broadcasting booth, the Greater Cincinnati Society of Professional Journalism welcomes a new Hall of Fame class on Monday, and it features nine people who have covered sports in the area, including our pregame, halftime in postgame host on the Bengals Radio Network, Wayne Box. Miller. Box has done it all over the years, from writing books to hosting a daily radio show with former Bengals defensive back Eric Thomas, and he is a pleasure to work with on the Bengals Radio Network. What I admire most about him is his sunny disposition. In an era where everybody seems to be competing over who can make the snarkiest comment about anything and everything, Box chooses to emphasize the positive. He is a great person and his Hall of Fame recognition is richly deserved. Now let's get to my first guest. When the Carolina Panthers released Von Bell in March for salary cap reasons, the Bengals welcomed him back with open arms. He played a key role in three straight wins over the Kansas City Chiefs, and we'll look to do it again this Sunday. Following last week's sixteen to ten loss to the Patriots. Ron if you hold a team to sixteen points for the rest of the year, you guys are going to have a really good record. How did you feel the defense performed in week one?
Speaker 4: Oh, it was flashes, But we got to finish, and we gotta put more physical and on the line of scrimmage, and we can't miss a lot of tackles because that creates diplosives and it gives chance, It give teams a chance of life. And we just got to finish and play amost each other and I'll play together.
Speaker 2: Luenarumo said there were fourteen teen miss tackles. Is that a matter of fundamentals? Is it adjusting to the speed of the game in week one? What's your explanation for that?
Speaker 1: It's just fundamentals.
Speaker 4: It's easy, easy fixed, and guys just gotta go out there with the want to and willing to and really just trust your brother that's that you playing next to, and everybody all liven hats run to the ball.
Speaker 2: Was there anything about that performance that really irked you?
Speaker 1: No, not really, you know, we're playing.
Speaker 4: With a lot of emotion, a lot of a lot of energy, and it's just some of those times we've gotten the little lulls. We gotta find the spark, we gotta find them within us, uh to just get it done and then and that's just the matter of it, you know, just getting it done on Sundays and getting the job done and getting to win.
Speaker 1: And uh, that's what we're here to do.
Speaker 4: And we suppost play at high level and play together as one and we all got bigger goals and visions at the end of it.
Speaker 2: We're visiting with Von Bell lou and Romo was asked about you last week. He said the following.
Speaker 3: He helps everybody.
Speaker 5: He helps, Uh certainly helps the linebackers just feeling comfortable with what's going on behind them. He's always been we know what he does in the locker room in terms of but that locker room communication, he takes that and he continues it onto the field because he's always talking football. I'll walk by there at seven thirty in the morning, him, Jermaine Logan and they're all in that corner and they're talking about something and so it just continues out onto the field. So there's a reason why he was voted captain as soon as he got back here. And it's not just because he's a good guy. His influence goes throughout the whole team.
Speaker 2: How do you go about trying to help everybody.
Speaker 4: There's overallers of communication and just really trying to give pre snapper eads and knowing the situation, knowing that formation, what they do out the formation, and just try to give tips to guys so they could set.
Speaker 1: Their mind down so they can play.
Speaker 4: Fast and they just try to be there. Always tell him like you got me here, it's you play off me. So if we both rent to the ball like i'sis I used to outside, So we always just playing off other so you can know where your help is at all times, so you can just play like, oh I got it. I could play a step faster and know you got that leverage and what routes you can cheat to. So it's just trying to just slow the game down like how the older guys I played with it slowed the game down for me.
Speaker 2: We're having this conversation on a Wednesday, What did you do on Tuesday, the player's day off?
Speaker 4: I did? I did pilates. I got the guys in. I lifted first and got the guys in around like nine nine thirty, and we had a dB bean and we're going through the you know, the guys, their personnel, what they like to do, and what we did previous years before playing this team, and how.
Speaker 1: They just how it's supposed to they are.
Speaker 4: They just replicated what they were passed and they just plug and play pieces with one with four, with five, those speed guys in eighty seven of course, and you know the fifteen is the cow bell.
Speaker 1: He runs the show.
Speaker 4: So you just know what he likes to do, what he likes to get to, who he likes to get it to, and know the situations and what it looks like and just getting just getting a head started that so the guys could already thinking it there at home and then just watching ball, it is always thinking balld So so we have a smooth Chris Wednesday.
Speaker 2: Did you start the tradition of those Tuesday meetings with the secondary or did you take that from an older teammate somewhere along the way.
Speaker 4: Oh, I think it was a combination of both, because we did it in New Orleans and we always had the guy.
Speaker 1: I always had the guys.
Speaker 4: Going there because I was always there and we just we just we just created it and.
Speaker 1: I said, I'm due. I did there.
Speaker 4: We had lots of says and we brought it here. We had a lots of sss and guys is jailled.
Speaker 1: And the rooms became one. And that's what you want at the end of the day.
Speaker 4: And you want to everybody on the same of course, in the same vision at the same less, so we could play out basketball in December.
Speaker 2: You're heading to Arrowhead on Sunday where you made one of the biggest plays in franchise history and the twenty twenty one AFC Championship game, the overtime interception that set up the game winning field goal. The Bengals send three cover with eight my homes deep down field for the Cheetah.
Speaker 3: It's deflected and intercepted.
Speaker 6: By von Belle Belle running in the middle of the field forty five, taken down with a high tackle by Kelsey at the forty five yard line. No penalty flag, but the Bengals come up with an overtime interception and now could win the game on a field goal.
Speaker 2: Is the ball on display at your house? Do you have a framed picture of it. What does that moment mean to you?
Speaker 4: That moment means a lot. But you know, I never just want to live in the past. I live in the now. And there's a lot of memories been made, a lot of great ones, a lot with great people here in this locker room. But I'm still trying to still chasing it. And that's the mindset, is like what's the next objective? And Sunday is the next objective. And we got to go do the task at hand and go out there with my brothers, have fun and fly around and make players go be a electric atmosphere. You know who they are and we know who We always gotta go and showcase our talents.
Speaker 1: Is the ball on display something like that, something like that pictures everywhere, But you.
Speaker 4: Know, I just I look fast and have a tunnel vision and just keep on going.
Speaker 2: As a Bengal, you're three to one against Patrick Mahomes. Do you think the Bengals match up uniquely well against Kansas City?
Speaker 4: I think so. I think it's a great matchup. We always get their best, They always got bess And when you're playing the best, everybody uprise their play and you feel the energy is electric and you just want to be in that moment when made the big play and God's just feeding off each other.
Speaker 1: So I think we match up. Well, we've got to go out there and do our job.
Speaker 2: They've added Xavier Worthy ran a four to forty at the Combine, a new record. How has that impacted trying to defend the Chiefs.
Speaker 4: I think we played fast guys before, and that's the life of the NFL. You know, I still don't think he got Tyreek Hill, but that's one of the fast guys I've ever seen a play, though. We'll go see on Sunday.
Speaker 2: That's a good point. Tyreek Kel was on that one team when you made the pick. In fact, the past was thrown for him. Last question. In late August, after he was cut by New England, the Chiefs signed Juju Smith Schuster. Obviously you two have a history.
Speaker 7: There's a pressure from the Bengals. Roethlis Porter, Juju Smith Schuster is blown up and the whistles blow. Bun Bell not messing around.
Speaker 2: You've played against him since the big hit on Monday Night Football? Is there communication? Is there a look exchanged? Have you ever mentioned it? What happens after a play like that, I.
Speaker 1: Think it's sorry sitting done, and he's got mutual speke for me. I haven't respect families.
Speaker 4: He's a guy out there playing receiver and I'm just going at the time do my job at.
Speaker 1: A high level. So there's no beef, but nothing. It's ball.
Speaker 2: We look forward to seeing you play ball on Sunday. Thanks so much for the time, best of luck.
Speaker 1: Just say thank you for having me.
Speaker 2: It's worth noting that since that fumble forcing hit in December of twenty twenty, Juju Smith Schuster no longer performs TikTok dances on the other team's logo before games. Patrick Mahomes has a fifteen and three record in postseason play, including three Super Bowl titles. The only quarterbacks to beat him in the playoffs are Tom Brady, who did it twice, and Joe Burrow. Burrow certainly wasn't bad last week, completing seventy two percent of his passes, and he threw two balls that could have been or should have been touchdowns. Mike Kasicki's TV catch was overturned on replay, and Tanner Hudson fumbled just before getting to the goal line. Having said that it wasn't vintage Burrow, and the scrutiny of his wrist has reached absurd levels, including analysis on social media of the way he lifted a water bottle while sitting on the bench. Joe has actually asked about it at a news conference on Wednesday.
Speaker 8: I picked it up, weird. Yes, I don't know I drank water. I can't say I've seen that or know what anybody's talking about. Yeah, that's always tough when you're coming back from injury, you haven't played in a while, you're not quite sure how it's gonna feel.
Speaker 9: That's part of it. Week one, nobody's panicking sat up here and said that before. Unfortunately we're in the same spot after week one, but we got another opportunity on Sunday, and we got fifteen more opportunities after that to go and get better and show what we're all about.
Speaker 10: So we're excited for that.
Speaker 2: Sunday's game begins at four to twenty five, meaning it will have a huge national TV audience, and the number one broadcasting crew for CBS will be on the call when the Bengals take out the Chiefs. We think of two names on the field, Burrow and Mahomes and two names in the booth, Nancy Remo, and we are delighted to be joined by the great Jim Nance.
Speaker 11: Jim.
Speaker 2: This will be the sixth time in a little more than three years that you guys have called the Bengals Chiefs game, and the previous ones have all been thrillers. Do you think the Bengals have a unique ability to go toe to toe with the two time defending Super Bowl champs?
Speaker 3: They definitely have. By the way, great to see you, Dan, Great to be with you again, Hello friend. I definitely feel that the Bengals know how to compete with the Chiefs better than anyone. Yeah, Roof is in all these results, we've had, all these field goal games, margins in the end, and even though everybody right now is shaking their head off of last week's performance against the Patriots, we just know that Zach Taylor, his staff and Joe and this team know how to go down to arrowhead, not be intimidated, and not only hang with them, but often win. So it's going to be something to.
Speaker 2: See every time we've had one of these conversations. I've asked you some question about Joe Burrow, so I'm trying to think of something new, and I'm going to put you on the spot. You are the greatest golf announcer of all time. So what golf legend comes to mind when you think of Joe Burrow.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm going to keep that one in the because we're going to count his days at Ohio State before it went down to Alice.
Speaker 11: You.
Speaker 3: We're going to keep it in the Buckeye family. But there are some that's an interesting question. By the way, I'm going to go with the Golden Bear, Jack Nicholas. I mean, I'm only going to go with the greatest of all time here, and by that, I'm not saying that Joe is the greatest of all time. You're talking about just in terms of the way he carries himself, goes about his business and everything. I do see that if I had to figure out a golf legend, because Joe is brilliantly smart, strategically brilliant as well when it comes to what he needs to do, where the ball needs to go, how to handle himself. He's fully prepared as Jack was. No one prepared harder than Jack Nicholas, and his execution is spot on also, So I'll go with Jack Nicholas. You know you think about Arnold Palmer. No, I don't see it there, the swash buckling Arnold Palmer. No, that might be more like a Mahomes type comparison. Gary Player. I'm going through the list of all the old greats, but I think Jack Nicholas is a good one. I'll give him Jack. I'm going to tell him. By the way, in the production meeting, I got asked this interesting question. I know he plays a little bit of golf, and hopefully he'll like that comparison.
Speaker 2: We're visiting with Jim Nantz. We're a week into the season. We reference the Bengals slow start. What are your question marks about the Bengals at this point?
Speaker 3: Just the outside game, you know how that's such an important part of the success of the Bengals, is being able to go vertical and have a threat from the outside. And with t being injured again and you know it's going to take a lot for him to come back from a hamstring after only one week, so I'm not counting on him. And Jamar, you know, can't quite be the Jamorrow. We know number one without Tea on the other side, Number two having missed a significant amount of camp and all this controversy up in the air. By the way, no Tyler Boyd either, So my biggest question with them is just the weaponry that is around Joe Burrow. And by the way, I didn't even mention Joe Mixon, So I mean, Joe certainly had a lot to still offer, as we saw last week with a great performance in a Texans uniform. So yeah, I guess the biggest questions I have right now going to this game is what's this offense going to look like? When are they going to start playing the brand of football that we've come to expect and appreciated watching a really exciting, dangerous team from any point on the field. Is that when is that going to be rekindled?
Speaker 2: Joe commands so much attention, and rightfully so for his great play at quarterback, But from these Bengals Chiefs games that you've done and thrilling finishes, is there a Bengals player that you think deserves more of the national spotlight than he gets?
Speaker 3: You know, Mike Hilton. We definitely have built him up through the ears, and he's certainly got some postseason recognition. I actually think the biggest Bengal that gets short changed a little bit in terms of credit is a guy that cares the least about the credit, and that's your head coach. He's just so comfortable being who he is, not having to have a light shone on him. I'm really blown away by the way he conducts himself. He's just first class and people don't rattle off his name as one of these young geniuses out there in the NFL as far as a head coach, but he is. I mean, he's done remarkable things. So I think the one person that deserves a little bit more fanfare about him would be Zach. I just I don't see him getting quite that upper echelon kind of mentioned, oh you got to talk about this guy, that guy, and he's not on that list. He's really built it. So maybe we need to do a better job of that starting this weekend when they come in here and give the Chiefs a great game right down to the wire. By the way, all these games that we've done, I know, the favorite one for the Bengal Faithful would be the AFC Championship game at Arrowhead. But the one that was the real eye opener for me was that at that point it was a seventeen week regular season and it was the win at the wire, win the division that year, that Super Bowl year, Brandon Allen had to come into the end. He goes, Joe got nicked on first or second down near the goal line, and you know, they used up the clock and took a couple of with a backup quarterback and then kick the winner. And that was the game where Chase went crazy, went over two hundred yards as a rookie, And that was probably my most the game I enjoyed the most. It was absolutely took your breath away watching one big play after another.
Speaker 2: You had a spectacular call in that game, Chase, there is no Chase. I love that as he was pulling away from seemingly everybody on the Chiefs roster. But I want to talk about what I consider to be one of your all time most iconic calls, and that came on Evan McPherson's game winning field goal that sent the Bengals to the Super Bowl. Just before the kick, you said this could be a sentence that a month ago would sound incomprehensible. What a great word to pull that one out. And then after the kick, Cincinnati is headed to the Super Bowl. Is there anything better in this job than having one of those moments and saying the right thing off the cuff.
Speaker 3: Well, we're always trying to you know, we make our living with our words. That's the toolkit we bring to work every day, and believe me, they don't always feel like they landed. You're trying, and I appreciate you resurrecting those words because I truly could not have quoted it word for word like that. But I do remember the excitement when that ball went through. I had no doubt he was going to make the kick, so I definitely would have recalled saying something about the unlikelihood of that moment. It's one of those things that it kind of was foreshadowing that he was already going to make the kick in a way, but it kind of all that I said in the preamble wouldn't have matched up with a block field goal, and it only really worked if he did, you know, he did the thing he was supposed to do, knock it through the uprights, and it just it kind of reminds me a little bit of when Tiger won the twenty nineteen He masters and I probably got a little ahead of myself because he still had you know, I still had like two and a half feet to win. And I said, it's kind of a stylistically in a similar way, I said, oh, you know something about paraphrasing. I know the last line. But all the talk, all the years, people wondered, would we ever see a moment like this. Well, now here it is laid out, knocked it in the center of a cup, which again the preamble was assuming there was going to be the payoff, and the payoff line, there was the return to glory, and it just it's like one sentence with a pause in between for the athlete to go, do what I'm expecting you're going to do, kick it through the uprights, knock it in from two and a half three feet, and then it works and it feels like you found a sweet spot. Trust me, it's not always that way. But thank you for quoting that, Dan, Thank you.
Speaker 2: I've got time for one last question. I better ask you one about the Chiefs. So they won their opener by a tell literally what impressed you by Kansas City About Kansas City on opening night.
Speaker 3: I think they could be better. I think they could be physically better than they were. I think That's almost a pretty easy argument to present because they have more speed and they don't even have Hollywood brown Back yet. He's going to be another big weapon. But we saw it with Worthy breaking Xavier Worthy the rookie scoring two touchdowns. They had nothing like that to call on last year. I mean, in fact, they won going through road games, you having to win at Buffalo and at Baltimore and Mahomes. Patrick really did not have anything on the outside that he could trust. You know, he had Kelsey work in the middle of the field, and every once in a while if he would catch it and if Eldz Scantling would would make something happen. Very occasionally. I've been only caught like thirty balls on the year. So now all of a sudden, Rashid Rice looks like a solid wide receiver one in this league, worthy as a threat anytime he steps on the field, and maybe their best receiver of all is going to set out the first four weeks. So they're better. Their offensive line is just fine, their defense has got another year of seasoning. They're dangerous. Now. It takes a lot more than just being the best physically gifted team to win, and you're going to have this story. They can handle it all year long. Going for the first ever three p that's a lot to bear, but so was last year going through the playoffs and having to win those road games. I mentioned. It's going to be a really fun team to watch.
Speaker 2: This Chad is always one of the highlights of my season. I can't thank you enough. Keep up the awesome work. We look forward to seeing your call on Sunday.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much. Great to be with you. I love our tradition, so thank you.
Speaker 2: It might not be a tradition unlike any other, but I truly appreciate Jim making time for me every year. The Bengals Booth Podcast is brought to you by Paid Corps, proud to be the Bengals official HR software provider, by Alta Fiber future Proof Fiber Internet designed to elevate your home, business, and community to a new level, and by Kettering Health the best care for the best fans. Kettering Health is the official healthcare provider of the Bengals. Now time for this week's Know the Faux Segment. Dana Hughes played wide receiver for the Chiefs for six years in the nineteen nineties and is currently the analyst on the radio broadcasts. He joined Dave Lapham and me this week on the Bengals Game Plan Show. I want to start with this. The Chiefs were able to keep the core of the two time defending Super Bowl champion roster and they have added some great players in wide receiver Xavier Worthy and Hollywood Brown. This scares me to ask, but do you think the Chiefs are actually improved in twenty twenty five?
Speaker 11: Yeah, you know what, Thanks for having me, guys. This is gonna be an epic week. Obviously, this matchup a rivalry and a lot of respects. But you know, as far as the makeup of this team, I think it potentially has the ability to do so. I mean last year going eleven and six, with the drops that we experienced, the losses that we had, a lot of people say that that wasn't even our best version of the Chiefs in these three super Bowl runs. So like, I feel like this organization, Brett Beach, Andy Reid has done a dynamic job of always filling in the gaps. And if you go back to even when Tyreek Hill was here and then we traded him away and got all the draft picks for him, there was like addition by subtraction, and that may be the case even now with the construction of this offense, specifically Hollywood Brown, I not play this week, still nursing that shoulder injury. At the same time, what we saw in week one from the other task of receivers gives us a lot of hope here in Kansas City and a lot of optimism. So is it a better version? Tom will tell But I like what we look like right now, Well, I'll tell you.
Speaker 10: Patrick Mahomes obviously is the straw that sers that drink. Always hasn't been, always will be in the in the opening victory in the fourth quarter, had a perfect quarterback rating five for five sixty eight yards average, thirteen point six per completion, touchdown pass, no interceptions, a perfect fourth quarter. He seems to play big in the biggest moments of football games. He does it all the time, doesn't he.
Speaker 11: Well, the challenge is that I want to say, maybe the last time he didn't was in the AFT Championship against you guys, So like that's but having to go that far backwards is encouraging as a Chiefs fan. And you're right, like pressure buss pipes. But Patrick Mahomes doesn't feel that same kind of pressure. And I think, you know, when you're a leader like that, your attitude, that aura kind of permeates through the entire team, not just the offensive huddle. So I feel like if you ask players, and I'm in the locker room after the games, I'm asking questions, interviewing guys wins or losses, and to a man like you can see kind of an even keel mindset. They're just kind of you know, you know, we didn't play out best and we lost. We played really good and we played it good enough to win. And it's never the highs and lows. You never walk in there and hear anybody screaming at each other. You never see any face to face altercations. I've been in that locker room. I've played for six years here in Kansas City. I can tell you from experience there's been times where guys had to be separated back in those days in the nineties, and you don't ever see that. I think that's why this team can remain balanced and remain strong is because their leadership, even from the top. I heard the story about Travis Kelce. I want to say it was Xavier Worthy that was sitting by himself in OTA's and lunch, and Travis Kelsey and Patrick Mahomes just came over and sat with him by himself. And you know that's not normal. That's not normal behavior for veterans in regards to not hazing or embracing young guys. But they have a bigger picture of mine. I want to say that the leadership is the main cause of that. These guys understand the task at hand. They were talking about it before they even touched the trophy in Las Vegas, that it was about the three pet and they're doing everything they can control to get there.
Speaker 2: Chiefs radio analyst Dan and Hughes is our guest in this salary cap era, when you've got one of the highest paid quarterbacks, it's impossible to keep everybody, and the Chiefs were not able to keep a great corner and lugarious sneak. How do you feel about the Chief's secondary having lost one of the best cover corners in the league.
Speaker 11: Yeah, that was a big loss. And I'm not in the point of saying that it's an audition by subtraction yet, but I will say that what we've done in previous years got us to this point where you can feel some comfort in regards to the depth at the defensive back position. When you lose Lagarious Need, but you have Joshua Williams and Jalen Watson who have had ample playing time in the last previous two years and two Super Bowl runs. You feel comfortable. Now, do you feel like one side of the field is locked down? No, but you do feel comfortable. And if we can get we know the key to every coverage is a pass rush, and if you can get around the body of opposing quarterbacks, We've got like George Carl Loftus and Chris Jones and Mike Danna, and then when you know we get guys back off the shelf, we've been Steve's Nolo has drawn up a great, great defense the complement on offense. There's confidence there. So I don't think you can say in week two that you've successfully filled the shoes of a Jerious Need. But I think what you can say at this point is that you're comfortable with the depth that you had. Jayden Hicks, a draft pick this year, has really shown something in regards to the depth at the safety position. Shamari Connor is the guy that really played strongly last year his rookie campaign. So like the depth is there, the shutdown angle, I'm not sure yet.
Speaker 10: Let me ask you about Worthy. Worthy is obviously a blur for fastest sever recorded combine. I mean, he joins five other players. They have a touchdown receiving and a touchdown rushing in their career debut in the National Football League history, one of six guys. And when he turned the corner, when he played on his foot and cut up the kilt, it looks like everybody else was in concrete. Man, he was unbelievable.
Speaker 3: Unbelievable.
Speaker 11: Yeah, I mean Andy Reid, I call him a mad scientist of offense. He just sits back and you can imagine in late nights, the creativity, the juice is flowing, the wheels turning in his head about how he can make this offense better and how he can make players dynamic and force success upon them. And that's what you get with Xavier Worthy. Four two to one speed. Now, if you just line him up on the outside of the numbers and just say, okay, run these routes, you're not necessarily going to get the best effect or the best success from that. So what do you do you move him in motion so he doesn't have bump and run coverage. You get him in space, you run him out of the slot, you run jet sweeps. Now teams have to have to be justified in respecting the jet sweep. What's that going to do for other receivers like Rashid Rice running that play action off of that, So like it's all part of the process. And Andy Reid is one of the best, if not the best, to ever garner a headset for an offense, and like that speed is killer and can you only imagine what it's going to look like when Hollywood Brown is a part of the offense and back healthy. He's like those two complimenting each other. And then where she Rice and Travis Kelcey running the crossing routes, the shallow crosses, the pick routes, et cetera. As long as we can protect up front, Like I like our offense and how it compliments everything about our team.
Speaker 2: Hollywood didn't practice today. Do you think it's unlikely that he will play on Sunday?
Speaker 11: I feel like it's unlikely. I mean, if we're talking about Wednesday practice. You know, if I was a betting person, which I'm not. You just have to feel like if you've been injured for a long period of time and you've missed a couple of games, you missed preseason games. We had kind of a a semi bye week this past week because we played on Thursday night, and you're still not healthy. We go to Atlanta next week. I feel like, if he's not full speed and ready to go through the dog days of practices on Wednesday and Thursday, then I'm not sure that you would throw him to the Wolves on Sunday, especially against a team like the Cincinnati Bengals. So if I was a guessing person, a betting person, I would say it would be it would be not possible that he would be out there and playing.
Speaker 10: We mentioned him, mentioned him briefly, Chris Jones, and as a former offensive lineman. Anytime the Chiefs are an opponent, I'm like, oh my god, Chris Jones, this guy, you know, he and Aaron Donald. It was like one one A and I actually had him one in Aaron Donald one A. I think Chris Jones is a beast in every sense of the word. And I mean you have to have four hands and four eyes on him. You have to locate him. It's like when you come to the line of scrimmage, a quarterback is looking for you know, keys for coverage. Lineman and quarterback have to find him and they got to make sure that he's taken care of. And is he still doing the same stuff. Is he going up and down the line of scrimmage without any kind of pattern to rhyme or reason, looking for the biggest fish.
Speaker 11: Yeah, that's what I was just about to mention, is the versatility of Chris Jones. I think that's to me what stands out about him. Yes, his motor is great, he's dominant one on one. I feel sorry for the offensive lineman, but now when you move him from over the nose to the tackle to a wide seven or nine technique against the isolated tackle, like you create problems at the line of scrimmage. And it's not like we're breaking the huddle and he's lining up exactly where he's going to be. Like there were there were times in the last game if you watched it, where he was moving when the quarterback was under center. And now the whole protection as you know better than I do, to identifying guys and protection and now all of a sudden he's not where he was, that can create a problem. So like, yeah, the teams that are gonna be you know, have any semblance of success or at least try to have success against him, are going to be teams that are gonna have to break the huddle with fourteen fifteen seconds left on the playclock, you know, change up the tempo and tone up their offense, go quick run tempo, no huddle, et cetera. And then have him more isolated, because if you allow him to break the huddle and sit there and maneuver, change positions, etc. As the clock lines down and you get predictable. As a team that's a going to snap the ball inside five seconds, it's got to be a long day for your quarterback and your offense. So yeah, Chris Jones, as long as he stays healthy, I believe he's one. Now that Aaron Donald is not in the league, and he's he's embraced it, like he embraces that leadership role. He embraces the fact that he knows all eyes are going to be on him all game long, and that's what you need from dominance on defense as a guy that's going to say I'm the star of this defense. I'm gonna I know, I'm going to get the attention and I'm willing to step up and make the plays or suck up some of the blockers. So guys like George cal Offtis and Mike Danna and other guys blitz packages without VBS. We're able to get home as well. So a lot of confusion is created because of that dominance of Chris Jones.
Speaker 2: Our thanks to Dana and Hughes. And here's a quick reminder to join lap in me for the Bengals pep Rally show Friday from three to six on ESPN fifteen thirty. If you're not in the Cincinnati area, just search for ESPN fifteen thirty on the free iHeartMedia app. That's going to do it for this episode of the Bengals Booth podcast, brought to you by pay Corps. Proud to be the Bengals official HR software provider by Alta Fiber future proof fiber Internet designed to elevate your home, business, and community to a new and by Kettering Health, the best care for the best fans. Kettering Health is the official healthcare provider of the Bengals. If you haven't done so already, please subscribe to this podcast and if you have a minute, give it a rating or share a comment that helps more Bengals fans find us. I'm Dan Hord and thanks for listening to the Bengals Boot podcast