Speaker 1: Hey, what's up, everybody. I'm Jamel Hill and welcome to politics and iHeart podcast and unbothered network production. Time to get spolitical. The renowned philosopher Aristotle once referred to women as quote deform males who were quote unable to control themselves physically and psychologically through the exercise of reason the way that men can. Aristotle believed too much education and sports activity made a woman infertile. Who knew one of the alleged greatest philosophers in world history was actually just another toxic podcast bro who never got over his seventh grade crush rejecting him. But while Aristotle was busy cementing himself as the father of misogyny, something far more important was happening. A woman named Sensica was competing in the Olympic Games and on her way to becoming the Olympics first female champion as a four horse chariot racer. Men during Sensica's time thought, just like Aristotle, just to crystallize that women have been fighting for your respect, agency and equality and athletic spaces since literally before that fellow Jesus Christ was born. Things, of course, have gotten better, though yesterday's Aristotle is apparently today's presidential candidate, Crookie.
Speaker 2: Joe Biden became mentally impaired, said, but Lion Kamala Harris, Honestly, I.
Speaker 1: Believe she was born that way.
Speaker 2: There's something wrong with Kamala, and I just don't know what it is. But there is definitely something missing, and you know what, everybody knows it.
Speaker 1: But as we edge closer to possibly electing the first female president, who also would be the first black woman and Asian to hold that particular office, we sit at a particularly interesting moment that we used together what we're seeing in politics with what we're seeing in women's sports. Currently, women's sports are experiencing a revolution that is led in large part by the staggering explosion in women's basketball. Last college basketball season, the women's national Championship game outrated the men's national championship game for the first time in history, not by little, but by a lot. An average of eighteen point seven million viewers watched the South Carolina women remain undefeated against Caitlin Clark's IOWA team, with the game peaking at twenty four million viewers. Meanwhile, the men average fourteen point eight million viewers. Hey fellas get your viewers up. Despite the naysayers that predicted that momentum wouldn't translate to the WNBA, the WNBA went on to experience its most watch regular season ever, led by WNBA Rookie of the Year Kaitlyn Clark and another heralded rookie, Angel Reese. Twenty two regular season WNBA games averaged more than one million viewers in person. Attendance was up forty eight percent, and every single WNBA team posted year over year growth in attendance. Beyond basketball, Simone Biles added three more gold medals to her stellar resume at the Paris Olympics this past summer. Overall, female athletes competing in the Olympics brought home sixty seven of this country's one hundred and twenty six medals, including twenty six of Team USA's gold medals. The National Women's Soccer League has already surpassed one point five million in attendance and is expected to reach two million by the end of the season. Aaron Haynes, the editor at large for The Nineteenth, an independent, nonprofit news organization that focuses on gender politics and policy, believes any conversation about the explosion of women's sports should immediately be followed with one about women in this year's national election.
Speaker 3: You know, I really think that the trajectory of women's sports parallels the rise of women's leadership generally in this country in a way that.
Speaker 1: Is undeniable. It might be obvious to some, but others still refuse to acknowledge. There is a deep connection between women's continued fight for agency in the sports space with women's continued fight for their basic rights overall, and the excuses for looking away is dwindling. The stakes are high for women in this election. We are now living in a post Row versus Way world. In twenty twenty two, the Supreme Court ended a women's constitutional right to abortion, a right that had been protected since nineteen seventy three. The year before abortion was ruled to be constitutionally protected, there was another major piece of legislation that would be an important cornerstone for women in sport. In nineteen seventy two, Title nine became public law. That signature legislation prohibited sex based discrimination in any education programs or activities that receive federal funding. It mandated that schools and universities had to provide equal opportunities for both genders and sports. But despite the Supreme Court's decision on versus Wade and Title nine being seemingly entrenchedgent to law, equal opportunities and reproductive rights are still very much on the ballot for the upcoming election. Project twenty twenty five created by the conservative think tank the Heritage Foundation. Far as I like to think of them hell Hydra from the Marvel movies, they developed a conservative playbook that will guide Donald Trump if he gets another presidential term. Project twenty twenty five is over nine hundred pages, and let's just keep it a stack. Nobody reading all that something they were definitely counting on because if people read it, it would effectively scare the shit out of them. So let me do some of the hard work for you. Pull up a chair, and I'll tell you about how a second Trump term would result in infinitely less rights and empowerment for women. Here are some of the important cliff notes. Project twenty twenty five seeks to end medication abortion, meaning women would no longer have access to abortion pills. It would also deny access to abortion care in emergency sitution, increase pregnancy and abortion surveillance at the federal level, which means hospitals and doctors would be required to report not just abortions, but miscarriages and steelburs and if you don't report it, then you could be denied federal funding. By the way, all of you women who use period trackers might want to delete that app to be on the safe side. In the workplace, Project twenty twenty five would rescind an important executive order by former President Lyndon B. Johnson that prohibited federal contractors from discriminating on the basis of race and sex, which ultimately led to the creation of Title nine. They also want to get rid of the Department of Labor Women's Bureau and weaken the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission so women face discrimination in educational institutions or in federal workplaces. They would have to spend a shit ton of money to follow lawsuit and that would ultimately be time consuming and defeating. Project twenty twenty five also wants to redefine sexual health education as pornography and replace it with abstinence only education. Now, if there's one thing we can count on, it is for teenagers to be abstinate. And speaking of pornography, the Project twenty twenty five agenda includes an outright ban on porn, including criminalizing it. I bet these Project twenty twenty five people are an absolute fucking blast at parties. So to recap that, come in for your reproductive rights, your contraception, your right to fight against abuses and discrimination, you're porn and it seems like, and not to be too dramatic, your general right to exist without being harmed. Now, given everything that is at stake, the big question is will women rise to the challenge in this election and send a strong message that they ain't trying to live out some new season of a Handmaide's tale. Let's not forget the important role women have played in the last two presidential elections, for better or for worse. In twenty twenty, female athletes in the WNBAC and a clear message about what they not going to do, and that is support a politician who got them all the way fucked up.
Speaker 4: Well, let's start off with calls for US Senator Kelly Leffler to step away from the Atlanta Dream, the WNBA team that she co owns. She recently wrote a letter to the WNBA Commissioner, and according to NBC News, Lefler was explaining her opposition to players wearing Black Lives Matter and say her name slogans on warm up jerseys. She writes in a letter about the need to take politics out of sports, saying sports have the power to be a unifying antidote. She says she does not support what she calls the Black Lives Matter political movement, saying it wants to defund the police, remove Jesus from churches, and promotes violence and destruction across the country. Now, this has not gone over well with many current and former WNBA players, the players Union responding today on Twitter simply saying enough out if.
Speaker 1: Fuck around and find out was a person because Kelly Leffler found out, she don't want no smoke with the women in the WNBA. The Atlanta Dream and other WNBA players threw their support behind Leffler's challenger in the Senate race, Reverend Rafael Warnott, after initially polling at nine percent, became Georgia's first black senator thanks to the popularity boost he received from the widespread support from the debut. Eventually, as senator were not cast to a vote to confirm Supreme Court Justice Kintanji Brown, Jackson as the first black woman on the Supreme Court, allowing Joe Biden to fulfill his campaign promise to put a black woman in that seat. But let's have an honesty moment. We know black women are going to show up in this election and show up in force as they have in the previous elections. In twenty sixteen, ninety one percent of black women voted for Hillary Clinton. In twenty twenty, ninety two percent of Black women voted for Joe Biden. Meanwhile, with reproductive rights on the table and Donald Trump bragging about grabbing women by the huha, fifty four percent a white women voted for Trump in twenty sixteen, and the number of white women who voted for Trump was even higher at fifty five percent. Here's Aaron Haynes again on what the white women going to do in this election. Will they finally reject the man who has been found credibly liable of committing rape by a court of law and who loves to brag about taking away their reproductive rights? Or will white women again be the ops?
Speaker 3: That is the perennial question every four years, right because I think you know, whether we're calling them suburban moms or lipstick moms or whatever nickname we want to give them every four years, like that's who we're talking about.
Speaker 5: We're talking about.
Speaker 3: White women who, frankly, in our modern politics, have tended to vote majority Republican.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 1: We don't know if white women are.
Speaker 3: Going to finally come over to you know, the Democratic Party and vote in the majority, But will there be some greater number of white women that decide to do that this year because they literally feel like they have skin in the game, especially around the issue of rights and freedom, reproductive rights, abortion access in particular. Right, I think that you know, what we have seen since the DOPS decision in twenty twenty two is that white women are starting to say, hey, maybe I do need to think about how this is affecting me.
Speaker 7: Right.
Speaker 3: Maybe they didn't care about their black and brown sisters, you know, prior to twenty twenty two, but they're now understanding that, hey, wait, we do actually have a shared fate and our shared gender might actually be the thing that I need to think about and not just my race and tying myself to whiteness.
Speaker 1: There is still so much that women need to fight for, even as we celebrate and acknowledge some of the historic gains that have happened, particularly in the last year. But the choice is really simple for women in this election. What's a better direction for women moving forward a going back. I'm Jammelle Hill, and I approve this message. Coming up on spolitics, we're going to continue this conversation with a woman who is certainly no stranger for standing ten toes down in important fights. She's a former WNBA MVP who is currently serving her third term as president of the WNBA Players Association. We'll discuss this election, this historic WNBA season, her being appointed as head of Lebron's voting rights organization, and if WNBA players will be tempted to tone down their activism now that there's more money being invested in the league. Up next on spolitics, the Seattle Storms. Mekka Obumka. At the time of this recording, you're just coming from practice, So I really appreciate this because God knows what your day has been like. But I'm gonna start by asking you a question that I am asking every guest who appears on spolatives, which is who was the athlete that made you fall in love with sports?
Speaker 7: Oh? Wow?
Speaker 6: First of all, thank you for having me it is such an honor, and you know, we always loved sharing space with fellow tagers, fellow disruptors, and so you know.
Speaker 1: So well, that's a big compliment. I will receive it and take it so thank you. Now answer the question.
Speaker 6: Who made me fall in with sports? I probably have to honestly say, Kevin Garnett. I think that when I first started playing basketball, specifically my parents and my family, we were learning about the sport. You know, we were all novices, and so we didn't know much about it. We didn't know where it could take us, and our gateway was of course, the Houston Rockets. And then through that, you know, we became Detroit Pistons fans and then Celtics fans, and like Kevin Garnett was always just my favorite player to watch.
Speaker 1: Wait wait, I got to back you up a second. Being from Detroit, you said john became Pistons fans. Yeah, tell me about that.
Speaker 6: We loved the Pistons played, you know, and my my dad would always kind of use them as an example of how to be aggressive and how to be kind of apologetic about like your strength. So we loved watching Rashid Wallace Ben Wallace Tayshawn Prance. Like, we we grew up as a family watching them very much. We were first and foremost Rockets fans because you know, we grew up watching Tracey McGrady, Steve Francis, Yao Me, Shane Battier and so like, we just loved watching the sport and how different teams played the sport.
Speaker 5: So the Pistons were one of our teams.
Speaker 1: As someone who was born as they say, in the nineteen hundreds, it is in a way it's very sobering for me to hear that your early recollections of the Pistons are the two thousand and four team that won the title. I was like with me, it was the team that won, and you know was Isaiah Joders. And even with the Rockets, you know, Hakeem Olajuan is my favorite center of all time. I mean, you know, again, I want people to focus on favorite, Like I know some people are gonna say Shack or Kareem as they should, but he was the center I enjoyed the most, you know, watching play. So when you said Tracy McGrady and y'all mean, I was like, ooh, she didn't say a king because that wouldn't have been our error.
Speaker 5: Love him, Yeah, but I didn't get up.
Speaker 1: Oh God, I'm old.
Speaker 5: I am a relic.
Speaker 1: Well necka. As you know, this is a very uh you know, serious time right now politically in our in our country, with everything that is happening. You the mantle of leadership for More Than a Vote, which is an organization that was started by Lebron and a collection of players, including some of your fellow w NBA players, including I believe Skyler Diggins Smith. He started More Than a Vote as like a voting advocacy organization, and I know it's an organization you've been involved with as well. But now you will be assuming the mantle of leadership of More Than a Vote. Tell me a little bit about how that came about.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean, like you know, as we all experienced in twenty twenty, there was just there was more that we wanted to do. And when Lebron came out and got a collection of athletes to, you know, to have a call for action for justice and change after the murders of George Floyd, Breonna Taylor and so many others, I don't feel like it was settled in our spirit to not do anything.
Speaker 5: Especially as women in the W who were playing in.
Speaker 6: That leuble, we wanted to do whatever we could, and so I was just grateful to be a part of a group of players that were looking to use their platforms to raise awareness, engagement resources for us to be able to change what we experience, what is our lived experience every day. And from there it's just kind of been a major alignment for me. You know, we have a lot of experience with help from you as women in the W using our platforms to stand for that are bigger than what we represent, but also understanding the responsibility of what it means to be a professional athlete. You know, everyone loves to say shut up and dribble in to that, I say, I wish we could, but we can't. And I think WNBA players are athletes that really understand what it means to stand for something and to do.
Speaker 5: Something about it with the platforms that we have.
Speaker 6: And I'm just grateful to have been a part of the initial group to you know, more than a vote to to make that type of change, but also I'm all about sustainable change and to be here again in twenty twenty four doing what I can to continue that change, especially with the headline of reproductive freedoms. As a woman who uses her body for her career, it really means a lot to.
Speaker 1: Me now, you know, I realized that twenty twenty in many ways it was an unforgettable year because of the murders that you cited, Brionna Taylor, George Floyd, A mod Arbury, so many others. There was a very intense energy in the athlete community, especially in the black athlete community then, especially in terms of getting involved in politics and social issues. Now you can correct me if I'm wrong, but it feels like in twenty twenty four, while I wouldn't expect it to match twenty twenty, I probably was expecting it to be a little higher. In twenty twenty four, there's been a bit of a dip off. Would you say that that's a fair observation.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I would agree.
Speaker 6: I think that what feels what felt heightened in twenty twenty was the fact that we were in the middle of a pandemic. Everyone was at home, you know, we were playing in a bubble. It was unique that we were in a situation in the season where all of the players were in one place at one time and here we are post pandemic, well not really, but you know, post that kind of isolated, insulated time. We're now reintegrating into the world and kind of trying to figure out how best we can still maintain that level of engagement and energy and awareness while still being in not just active seasons, but I mean, the visibility and engagement that we're experiencing today is not what we had experience.
Speaker 5: In twenty twenty, let alone a few months ago.
Speaker 6: So understanding where that lands, and then also kind of the conversation around our lived experiences with the injustice, with injustice on black and brown people, on women, and so many different marginalized groups, how that now is woven into the cultural conversation of sports. You know, while we're still trying to see what we can do to manage our daily lives, what it means for us to be black women in sport, what it means for those on the outside giving their own opinions about that, and then still showing up in our communities and making a difference as civilians and as citizens of the communities that we represent, both in market and as just people.
Speaker 1: Now you know, I know that you're through in your career showing this like you're the type of player that's going to be sort of engaged in these issues regardless. But what does it mean for you, if anything, to have Kamala Harris being at the top of the Democratic ticket and be, you know, the nominee the person running for president.
Speaker 6: For me, I think that there were just so many there's been so many question marks around our leadership in this country, and one thing about black women is that we find a way to make sure that we're on the right side of history. And for me, I don't think that I've ever lived through a potential president that has been disqualified. It has nothing to I don't want to say has nothing to do.
Speaker 5: But the priority for.
Speaker 6: Me isn't always about the demographics. Granted, it's difficult for us to ignore that because we live in all the intersections as black women, especially in black women in sport, but I just feel like it's incredibly symbolic of what we always say is that we have to work twice as hard to get.
Speaker 5: Half as far.
Speaker 6: I feel like we're living that in real time and to be able to look at someone that I can see myself in that not only represents an illustrious career to get to a point where she is incredibly qualified to do this job. But for me to also look at my own career and think about all of the work that we do individually and where we are at the point out of the points in our careers, in our lives, and using that as using that as as a way of being just incredibly it's incredibly relatable in so many different ways. It's incredibly relatable and still working through the muck to get to where you know you deserve to be, to get to where you know you've worked to be. But then all of that, of course with I personally, I personally think that being a black woman, being a woman who went to an HBCU, you know, being a woman who was a prosecutor. I think that there's so many different intersections that I can appreciate. I am also a child of immigrants, Like, there's just so much that I can see in myself in someone who was incredibly qualified and who could potentially be our president.
Speaker 1: Now there's so much about on what you said, but I'll serve with this, have you had much personal interaction with the vice president?
Speaker 5: Not personal interaction?
Speaker 6: But I will say, and I mean I'm a Everyone saw that she came to our game last year she did. That was my first time ever meeting the vice president, and she came into our locker room. It was it was a celebration because it was BG's first game back after being wrongfully detained, and for her to show up in that moment, it just represents the way that black women show for each other and in times where.
Speaker 5: Where we need that support.
Speaker 6: And I'm just grateful to have been able to meet her at all, but especially in that capacity, you know, on behalf of BEG and her coming back to us.
Speaker 1: Now, I'm sure you've seen a lot of the political, you know, rhetoric, A lot has been about immigrants. You're the child of immigrants, and there seems to be a very conscious demonization of immigrants. So how have you processed hearing from the other presidential candidate and Donald Trump, how often he summons, you know, immigrants and uses them, you know, politically and especially as a tool of division and dehumanizing and demonization. As a child of immigrants, how does that land with you?
Speaker 6: I mean, I was raised, My parents raised me to believe that there's no one that can say anything about me that I'm going to believe, you know, especially they don't know me. I think that there's tactics, Like you said, there's tools, there's ways to divide groups, to divide people. Finding differences and using that against people is something that I am familiar with as being a child of immigrants. Granted it may not have been.
Speaker 5: A part of the conversation, a part of.
Speaker 6: The cultural conversation as much as it is now, but I grew up with kids in school making different types of jokes around you know, what are you eating for lunch? That smells weird? You know, why do you guys wear that? And it's nothing that I'm unfamiliar with, but it's quite unfortunate that people can use differences to cause more divide. I think that our country was certainly built on people being from different places unwillingly and also by choice, but mostly unwillingly, and it is it is very sad to see today that with the contributions of those people that were not originally we're not originally here, that have made a life and that have driven culture and have driven the success of this country to not be to not be respected and supported in a way that we need for us to continue to make our country as strong as we all know it to be. And I have living experience through my parents who have built lives for themselves and ultimately for us to be able to do what we do and represent ourselves proudly.
Speaker 5: You know, there doesn't there There doesn't go.
Speaker 6: A day where don't hear that Cheney talks about being Nigerian, and that's something that was embedded in our household. It's something that makes us Nigerian, It's something that makes us American. And those are things that I think are represented well through the hairs Walls campaign.
Speaker 5: Is that she really.
Speaker 6: Talks about or appreciates where she's come from, how she was raised, and how that makes sure who she is as an American today.
Speaker 1: Uh. Now, I believe you are serving your third term as president of the Players Association. Big titled Now, when you first were you know, elected to that position, did you imagine doing it three times? Did you imagine you would be a three time?
Speaker 8: I did not.
Speaker 6: Here we are and I'm very grateful I run on the post three times. But I mean I'm seeing now quite possibly maybe through the other the other elected positions in our EC that is becoming more competitive.
Speaker 5: You know, I think that you know.
Speaker 6: There's there's people that are wanting to be a part of this leadership.
Speaker 5: I'm excited to see that happen.
Speaker 6: Also, when it comes to people wanting to possibly be president of the PA, it wasn't always a job that people wanted, but I think that our previous presidents did an amazing job of, you know, ensuring that the role was was respected by the person that held that position, and then ultimately that it grew and you know, maybe I'll run again.
Speaker 5: We want to be a part of a group of women that want to lead these players in this union towards great, big change.
Speaker 1: Now. Recently, as I'm sure you saw the WNBA Commissioner Kathy Engelbert, she was on CNBC and she was asked about the Angel Rees Caitlyn Clark rivalry that has sort of dominated the headlines of this WNBA season and how there's a bit of a I wouldn't I'm I think I'm being generous by calling it a bit, but there is a negative undercurrent because of the racial engender dynamics that have been brought into the discussion. Real quick, for the people listening, I'm going to play what she said, and then I want you to respond to.
Speaker 8: That question, which raises some sensitivity of rivalries between players, in the case of Angel Reese who's just had to shut it down because of a risk injury, Caitlin Clark who's continuing to play, rivalry that goes back to their college days, presumably where I guess some trash talking entered in. But now it seems on some social media channels to have taken a darker turn, a more menacing turn, where race has been introduced into the conversation, where sexuality is sometimes introduced into the conversation.
Speaker 5: How do you.
Speaker 9: Try and stay ahead of that, try and tamp it down or act as a league when two of your most visible players are involved, not personally, it would seem, but their fan bases are involved.
Speaker 8: In saying some very uncharitable things.
Speaker 10: The other thing that's great about the league right now we do sit at this intersection of culture and sport and fashion and music. Like the WNBA players are really looked at now as kind of cultural icons. And when you have that, you have a lot of attention on you. There's no more apathy. Everybody cares. It is a little that bird magic moment. If you recall from nineteen seventy nine when those two rookies came in from a big college rivalry, one white, one black, and so we have that moment with these two. But the one thing I know about sports, you need rivalry. That's what makes people watch. They want to watch games of consequence between rivals. They don't want everybody being nice to one another. So social media is different today than it was in nineteen seventy nine when it didn't exist. But you know, I always tell the players, you know, I was told a long time ago, if someone's typing something in and you wouldn't ask their advice, ignore it. So it's it's a balance, but certainly from a marketing dollars, but corporate partners are stepping up to endorse these players much much more so than they were five years ago because they see the benefit of having women and diverse women representing their brand.
Speaker 1: So how do you feel about what Kathy Engelbird said on CNBC.
Speaker 6: Well, you know, I think that, to be honest, it felt like a lob that could have been a slam dunk, and I thought that it was missed, you know, And it's disappointing to hear that response to a question about a league that stands for everything that has to do with equality and equity and denouncing racism and bigotry and homophobia and sexism. I think that we want to be able to feel like we have a commissioner, someone who is leading this league that represents us and our values and our lived experiences.
Speaker 5: Now I will say though, that.
Speaker 6: You know, her lived experiences are not my lived experiences. And I am what looks like over eighty percent of this league, and so it's very important for us to develop relationship where there are gaps in our lived experiences to help us present ourselves and these players the way that we want to be and the way that we know that we should be. I don't think I need to make this clear, but I will make this clear. There's no rivalry racism.
Speaker 5: In our league. You know that that's not something that we stand for.
Speaker 6: It exists, and there's agendas that are pushed because of the intense following of these rookies that have come into this league. There have been undercurrents of this that we've experienced in the WNBA, whether it's through branding and marketing and selecting certain players, something that I've experienced, something that players have talked to me about experiencing.
Speaker 5: And quite frankly, there is no business.
Speaker 6: In bigotry when it comes to the WNBA. You know, we've had players who have had to shut down their accounts. They have had players who have had death threats, and we now have a player who like the post and is now seeing or maybe not even now seeing, but now we are now all publicly witnessing the agenda that was trying to be pushed by the backing of a very talented rookie who herself has even had to publicly denounce the just the vile behavior and the vile engagement of players, and specifically black women who are experiencing a lot of these racist acts and these sexist acts that are just being driven behind what seems to be support of certain players. And so I really one thing that I really don't like about all of this is that I feel as though black women a lot of times have to clean up miss is that they didn't make. And I think that players players should not have to be the ones to solve the problems of something that needs to be either the league's issue or collaborative effort from whether it's the players, the union, and the league and I think we're going to reintroduce discussions that I know that we are already having on the players Association side that started with a conversation with Kathy. I had a conversation with Kathy. She was apologetic, she knows she missed the ball. She wants to move forward, and she doesn't want this to happen again. It's you know, as black women, we know anything can kind of happen, but we're always here and we're always ready to open the door for collaborative efforts. But I do think that, as I expressed in twenty twenty to the players and to individuals in the league and the PA, that it can't always fall on the players to have to deal with issues or fix these types of issues.
Speaker 1: And of course, you were referring to Aleah Boston, who is Kaitlyn Clark's teammate, who had to basically get off social media because early in the season they got off to a rough start and her teammates took the blame for that, and so she was subjected to a lot of these attacks, as is any player seemingly who guards Kaitlyn Clark. It's just subjected to a number of attacks, and of course, referring to Kaitlyn Clark liking posts by Taylor Swift endorsing Kamala Harris, and suddenly that has gotten her out of favor with people who I think most of us who have watched the league and follow the league knew this, and it was always an elephant in the room that there were some people who were trying to disguise their fandom of her, but really they hate black women more than they love her or the WNBA, and they were sort of using her as their bat signal to kind of get out some feelings that we knew that they harbored, whether Kaitlyn Clark existed or not. Nothing that has of course been encouraged by her on any front. But with that being said, is that you mentioned several times in our conversation how the WNBA everybody knows what it stands for in terms of how the players are politically and socially engaged. That's just in the fabric. In the DNA of the players, a third of the players in the league are identified as LGBTQ. Plus, you have a league that is almost eighty percent of black women. And with that being the case, as is the popularity of the WNBA is ascending to a different level. How concerned are you that the league will still maintain that DNA of activism, of speaking out and outspoken this as more people get invested in what this league is.
Speaker 6: I mean, to be honest, I've never really felt concerned about that, only because I know our players. I know the players are not going to just fall for anything. And I think that as long as that's not recognized collectively and from the league, than incidents like this week are just going to continue to happen. And ultimately, that's not something that looks good, that's not something that feels good, that's not something that foster's and environment where players really want to be represented and represent themselves. So I can only believe that we have to move forward from this. I know that the players always do. I know that the players are always going to speak up. I know that the union is always going to represent our best interests, and I have faith that the league will too. And I think that you have to experience instances like Kathy's interview and.
Speaker 5: The response from that interview and the response from the.
Speaker 6: Players for us to really look and reflect and think about, Hey, this is what needs to move forward and concerning ourselves with league investment, when it.
Speaker 5: Comes to.
Speaker 6: Standing on top of our values is going to be an issue because if we're worried about the dollars, then the integrity of this league it can fall just as fast as it got built.
Speaker 5: I'm very strongly, I'm very strong.
Speaker 6: I'm an advocate for the sustainability and the integrity of.
Speaker 5: What you stand on. And we got here, We got through twenty sixteen, we got through.
Speaker 6: Twenty twenty, need to be in twenty twenty four, and I think that that's the only way that we can continue.
Speaker 5: To move forward.
Speaker 6: And the right people are going to be the right people that will stand with us.
Speaker 1: You know, being that you seem to kind of have a pension for being president of the Players Association. Have you thought about a career or ever thought about a career in politics?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 6: Man, my family has they asked me this all the time, especially as someone who you know, someone who's from Houston. You know, for a lot of people, don't a lot of people feel like we could have a different type of senator.
Speaker 1: Y'all need well you can make I'm gonna say it for you. You might not be able to say it, but because the state of Texas absolutely needs a different senator.
Speaker 5: We're slowly, I mean we if we're not verbal, we are lily we are.
Speaker 6: And so that's something that has I haven't really thought about it, and it's something that has certainly been entertained in conversation amongst friends and family.
Speaker 5: But I'll ask you this, Actually, I understand politics.
Speaker 6: I understand that in the industries that we exist in there are politics there too, you know, And I wonder, I guess maybe it's because I've just been in sport for so long. Don't you feel like we have more power with the platforms that exist in the intersection and the politics that are revealed within those intersections. Like how do you feel about that? I personally feel like I do, but I haven't dabbled fully into.
Speaker 5: The pot, like the actual politics of things, right, you know.
Speaker 1: You know that's that's that's a great question. And it's crazy because I'm forever encouraging everybody else to run because I do think I do believe in sort of something that Tony Morrison said that applies to everything, which she said, write the book that you want to read that you don't see, right, And so because of the complaints that we often hear at the grassroots level about the politicians. I always say, like, be the candidate that you want to win, right, Like, be the candidate that you want to see, And so I would say the same to you. Is that Yeah? I mean, I know the political landscape is very tricky. It is. It's difficult in a lot of respects. But if we do want to see the systems woult of change, somebody like Neka needs to might need to be an office a good experience going already. So that's why I asked you that question. And I'm not surprised that your family has asked you the same question because maybe they see it too.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you know, I don't close doors.
Speaker 1: You're not gonna rule it out.
Speaker 5: I won't rule it out. I won't rule it out, but I will say though, no matter what, I need a few more rings and then maybe I'll see that to you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm not trying to retire you right now, that's for sure, but because you have so much more left to accomplish. And what was speaking of basketball? I know that you have had your issues, understandable issues with Team USA, but what were your thoughts on the fact that the Nigerian women's basketball team. They reached the quarterfinals. I think that the first African team to do so. Like, how did you feel witnessing that in the in the Summer Olympics?
Speaker 6: It felt great, If I wasn't surprised, And I think that it was a little bit serendipitous that they you know that that they played. I don't know, like they just played so hard and they played the hardest competition.
Speaker 5: Like I just feel as though it feels it.
Speaker 6: Felt good being Nigerian and American like that, Like that's really the only way that I can describe it. I think that it just shows that the best parts of me are at the top.
Speaker 5: You know, it was it was, it was I.
Speaker 6: Felt I felt very very, very represented, and so I look forward to seeing how much more can be done. I look forward to seeing if I.
Speaker 5: Can be on Team Nigerian twenty twenty eight.
Speaker 1: Though in la Okay put it out there listen, you know, for those who are listening. Unfortunately, there is a statistic that you have that I feel like is such ah, it is such a disservice to your career. But I think you're the only WNBA MVP two have never made Team USA. What is it like for you watching Team USA and the Olympics, knowing that you've had a very let's use the word political kind of experience with them, But what's it like for you to watch Team USA?
Speaker 5: You know, I mean those are my teammates, those are right. I think that.
Speaker 6: I've always had respect and I continue to always have respect.
Speaker 5: I mean, I wouldn't I would be lying to you if I if I told you that I felt peace, you know, like I don't feel peace. And I think that it's it's maybe less.
Speaker 6: About watching Team USA and more about the process.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 6: I played for Team USA for fifteen years. You know, I did all the things. I was told all the things, and I was trusting, you know.
Speaker 5: And I think that.
Speaker 6: It's just it's unfortunate that I feel as though my experience is incredibly symbolic of the tools of divisions that we're experiencing from, you know, campaigns.
Speaker 5: That want to profit off of division.
Speaker 6: And I think that my experience can resonate with a lot of different people who come to places for opportunity and do the right thing and are disciplined and try to be good and are not not only not rewarded, but are disrespected, and so for me, I couldn't sacrifice my integrity and continue on. I wanted I had to keep that, you know, And I went against I went against a lot of close family and friends advice to try again.
Speaker 5: It just did. It didn't rest well. It didn't rest well to me.
Speaker 6: It felt it didn't feel good to continue to try again, and so I'm forging my own path.
Speaker 1: Yeah, when you know Kitlin Clark wasn't selected, obviously, that caused a lot of conversation, a lout of controversy, and I said, I was like, you know, I get why people feel emotional and passionate about it. I was like, but if we're talking snubs, the biggest snub by far is Mekka Ogum mackay. And it was interesting to hear Arique talk about why she withdrew her name out of the process. And to me, if you have players who are feeling this way, then you might need to evaluate your process. But for this moment, we're going to leave this conversation right here and take a quick break, and when we come back, I'm going to ask you the question that is sure to get you in trouble, Mecca, because I mean, you just you're so nice and so polished and so eloquent. I was like, now we got to get her in some trouble. So I have that question that is going to get you in trouble coming up after the break. As you've seen Mecca like, there's been an explosion of coverage for the WNBA this season, the sensational rookie class. But if you had to give the media a grade for how you felt they've covered the WNBA this season, what would it be?
Speaker 5: This is an excellent question.
Speaker 1: And by the way, this was not the controversial question. No it wasn't. I got even more controversial.
Speaker 5: Wa A grade?
Speaker 7: Wow?
Speaker 1: Yes, I mean you're you are a basketball player and a scholar, so I know you understand grades.
Speaker 5: Great. Okay. So I've been in the league. This is my thirteenth season.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm.
Speaker 6: I've been through many many failing grades, many many failing grades.
Speaker 1: I know some years that media has definitely gotten an f.
Speaker 5: I would to give me a feeling grade. This year, I wouldn't give them a feeling grade.
Speaker 1: I can give you what would you like me to Would you like me to make it pass fail? Or is that too binary?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's binary. Okay, all right, feeling grade.
Speaker 6: So there, I feel like there's a lot of variables that come into the grade that I.
Speaker 5: Would I would I would probably give like a solid sea. I would probably give a solid seed only because.
Speaker 6: I think that when it comes to media, there was a lot of work that wasn't done before we got to this moment that is exactly that is only serving as an exacerbation of problems.
Speaker 5: You know. I think that.
Speaker 6: There's a lot of enabling that continues to occur because of problems that weren't addressed before. And like from my experience, what I would say is representation in stories, representation in media, you know, when it comes to who is telling the stories, who is pitching the stories, who is asking for the stories, who are the stories about? There's not enough diversity in a lot of those a lot of those categories. I was a part of actually a media summit last year or actually at the top of this year, where we talked a lot to beat writers, you know, media and the WNBA and players.
Speaker 5: And relationships with the media, especially.
Speaker 6: With you know, are changing media rules when it comes to coming into the locker room and such.
Speaker 5: I know that a lot of people were up in arms about that.
Speaker 6: I think that media coming into the locker room is as traditional as white jerseys being the traditional color for women who all menstract right, those are just things that people are like, Oh, we never questioned it. It's always just kind of been a thing. And so now when we come with new ideas and innovative ways to protect players but also still.
Speaker 5: Ensure that media can do their jobs, it's jolting.
Speaker 6: People are not used to it, and so I give it a c because for so long it's been like, that's just the way it is, that's just the way it is. Well, now we're here. Do we want this to continue to just be the way it is? Do we have Jamal Hills asking questions and being able to tell the stories that they want to tell. Do we have do we have Big three shows that are representing these women in ways that they feel like, Okay, you know, even if this is a hot take on me and my team, it's an informed take. These are people that have a lot of history of watching these sports, knowing these women and looking like a majority of what this league looks looks like to tell these stories and talk about these sports, and I feel as though we have a way. We still have a ways to go to even get to an A B, you know, and I look forward to seeing how that changes. But the powers that be, you know, are the one like the people who are in charge of making these decisions.
Speaker 5: That's what really needs to change.
Speaker 1: With the media, Yeah, it's been it's been uncomfortable to watch, uh, you know, as a as a media member because the one, the biggest, one of the bigger observations I've certainly put out there was and I'm gonna keep it real. It's like a lot of men who are now china in and talking about the W. I'm not saying that you have to know the history from soup to nuts. I'm not saying that, but there is some institutional knowledge you should know. And what amazes me is that men are allowed in the space of women's sports. And it's not just the W, but I think it's particularly prevalent in the W to show up and say I don't know anything about this, but here's my opinion, and that opinion is being regarded as gospel. And I just there is not a woman in mind like I could not show up on anybody's NFL set and say, oh that Patrick mahomes guys seems kind of good, huh, Like I couldn't do that. And yet when I watch sometimes the commentary about the W it's people who don't know anything about the league, and they are loud and proud of the fact that they don't know anything, and yet their opinions are taken very seriously. And so I'm hoping that the media will take this year to actually grow up a little bit, because it's not on the players, it's the media is responsible for the coverage and the conversation and the narratives that are set, and so it's it's been a little disheartening to watch that take place. So I'm this will lead to a question as somebody who is, you know, sort of in that space. I know you don't want to get into the business of necessarily, you know, sort of ripping the media, but what are your hopes going forward, because now that the popularity is there, the coverage is increasing, are you hopeful going forward that the media will be more grown up in how they cover the W Yeah.
Speaker 6: So, I mean I know how grim it can feel, you know, as someone who is watching all of these takes, and I mean people picking up a mic for the first time now talking talking so much about about a league and sports and athletes that we've that we have been we have been so passionate about, like we would do it without even anyone paying us to talk about or play, you know, And so I can feel I can feel the tension when it comes to all of these new pot takes, but I do feel I do feel hopeful because maybe I have a different vantage point from the inside. For so long, it's always been easy to point back, point out like who's doing what wrong?
Speaker 5: And so I think in a year where we are just you know, exploding with attention and media, I you know, my radar is like no, okay, And.
Speaker 6: So I'm able to sift it out a little bit easier and without emotion because for so long people have been getting it wrong and I'm able to and a lot of other players are able to appreciate the theist just women's sports, the Big Three, Jamel Hill, you know, like we're able to really appreciate that and also see that there is investment for those who are institutional.
Speaker 5: At this point, like you said, in knowing things about the.
Speaker 6: W because without investment in the Big Three, where the hell would we really be watching people covering women's sports, you know, like being able and I of course I'm biased because my sisters is a part of the Big Three, but being able to see them work and just be in their bag in that way because of the boom in women's sports and the engagement and the feedback that they get.
Speaker 5: It comes hand in hand with.
Speaker 6: The stephen As and the Shanna Sharps and people who are honestly having their gateway into it. Because for me, like I'm not here to criticize anyone, I will tell you, like, hey, do your research, like before you start talking. It's cool to read up on something, or watch a few games, go and look at some WBA classics, you know.
Speaker 5: But I think that the the.
Speaker 6: Loud and wrongness of the media now is an opportunity for someone who is credentialed like you to be.
Speaker 5: Like, hm, no, you know, you have community of people.
Speaker 6: With large platforms, and the same way that Monica McNutt did what she did, I feel like these are now opportunities for us to instead of fight and combat like the fans are in the comment section. You can have people who are credential you can have people who are respected in the WNBA speaking to people who aren't necessarily informed on the d NBA, but do have the platform and are credential and respected in their own rights to bring these communities together and be like, hey, it's okay if you didn't know, I'm here to help you out, you know.
Speaker 5: And so that's kind of in granted, I may be.
Speaker 6: Someone who generally has Candice would always tell me that, like you always see the good in things, and like I maybe someone who leans, she's a little bit more pragmatic, but I maybe someone who leans to be a little bit more optimistic. But I think that there's ways that you can still be firm and so let people know and read them without it turning into, you know, an all out war or fight. But then sometimes you do need to get a little bit messy. And so that's kind of that's that's.
Speaker 5: What I anticipate.
Speaker 6: I anticipate people being able to have a little bit more golf and say, like, you know, like I've been doing this, let me let you know you're not right, but let's move forward and educate ourselves about it together.
Speaker 1: And so I actually brought up in this conversation you've been you've been in the league now thirteen years, which you know, I mean, I knew you've been there for a while, but it just it still feels like you still feel it still feels like it hasn't been that long. But I like to know how much thought have you given to how much longer you want to do? You want to play?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 6: Well, I mean I would say that you know, you make plans and you think that things are going to go a certain way. I did not, I will be honest, I did not anticipate playing in another franchise. I'm very grateful that I'm here. I have resources is that give me that make me feel like I'm looking at a longer runway now, you know, whether it's a facility and ownership, engagement and.
Speaker 5: Just being able to feel as though.
Speaker 6: I'm I still feel like I could be out there doing things and I know that I have resources and staff and support that can help me do those things for much longer. And you know, my aspirations to play in the Olympics, I think is something that is probably also extending my career as well. And so I can't tell you how long, but I can't tell you that I have goals and to be an Olympian is one. To be a multi a multi champion is one, and it takes takes a.
Speaker 5: Couple of years to get those things done. So we'll see where that lands me.
Speaker 6: But I'm very happy with with still trying to choose to achieve those goals.
Speaker 1: Your your sister Cheney recently got married. What was your favorite moment or memory from her wedding?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 1: Where are you her? Mad or honor?
Speaker 5: I was?
Speaker 1: I was okay, all right, So you had to give the speech?
Speaker 6: I did well, you know, there was so much happening that we almost didn't do it speech, but we made it.
Speaker 5: We made it, We made you made it. Okay. Well, my favorite part of the wedding.
Speaker 6: So we have a Nigerian culture. We have a traditional wedding. It's called demonk Wu, right, and we had to rehearse a dance to enter the hall as a part of the ceremonies when it comes to call what we called the wine carny. And so I would say that when we entered the hall and we were doing our rehearse dance, that was probably my favorite part of the wedding. There's video, there's clips, there's highlights. You can watch it for sure.
Speaker 1: Now here comes the controversy as we want. Yes, now here comes the controversy.
Speaker 5: I've been I've been good so far, though you have.
Speaker 1: Been You've been excellent, and I feel like I haven't really put you on the hot seat. But this I'm hoping we'll do the do the trick. Make the case for why Nigerian jollafrice is better than Gahanian jollarice. Make the case.
Speaker 5: Why do I have to make the case?
Speaker 1: I didn't look the streets says it's a dad all battle. I've had them both. It's hard for me to I have had them both, you know. I mean, I have to say I am I am kind of leaning towards Ghana. I'm not whoa I just I hate to say I'm leaning towards Ghanda. Now I felt like, see, gotta tricked me just because I was in Ghana when I had the rice, right, so like I was anger when I had the Nigerian rice that I've had has been in the States but made by real Nigerians. Okay, so yes, all right, so like, but having it in Ghana, I was able to sample a lot of the rice, and so I feel yeah, and because it feels a little spicier to me and I'm a spicy person. Wow, man, it does like But again that's why I said, like, let's start beefing these series. Why is Nigerian jollifrice better than right jollifrice from Ghana?
Speaker 5: Because it is because it is need to be explainable. Man.
Speaker 1: You hear that got it? You hear that you got twenty four hours to response. We are agreed you. You you escape that controversy. You talked your ship, which was good because now all of Ghana, yes, you have to. Now when when Ghana riding into your mentions? I can't wait because they take that rice very seriously.
Speaker 5: Tell you you don't play you don't play well.
Speaker 1: Nekka. I want to thank you for joining me on politics and for taking some time out and you know, twenty twenty eight we want to see it. We want to see you in a country's Olympic uniform. Perhaps the Nigerians. I mean they made the corner finals before. What could they do if they had Knucko on the team. I'm just saying, you know what I mean. But yes, but thank you so much for joining me and yeah, good luck going forward and look forward to your political this is subjective.
Speaker 5: I appreciate that.
Speaker 1: All right. As I mentioned in the first episode of Politics, I'm going to use this final segment to answer your questions about sports, politics, maybe even life. Today's question comes from Seth Smith.
Speaker 7: Hijamu great first episode of Politics. Really enjoyed the topics that you got to cover with the guy that literally inspired me to be a journalism major at Paul University here in Chicago, Dan Lovebtzard. I really loved a lot of the topics you guys covered, and I think what you're doing with this particular series is really really important. But my question, I guess would be, is how do you break into this industry and how do you get started? Because I would really love to be a part of this world, not even just saying hey, give you a job. I swear I'm not, but just like a compass, you could provide a lighthouse of like where does somebody go if they want to make this a career?
Speaker 1: All right, So Seth, you basically asked me how do you break into this business? And what are some of the steps you need to take and whether or not I can provide you with a blueprint.
Speaker 5: I'm gonna be one.
Speaker 1: Thousand percent honest with you. I can't provide you a blueprint, not because I'm stingy and not because I don't want to share all the knowledge. Is that the blueprint that I came up with to get into this business literally doesn't exist anymore. Just to give you a little background, I came up through newspapers, so I majored in journalism when I went to Michigan State. I had five internships when I was in college. I interned at the Lineman News in Lima, Ohio, the Philadelphia Acquired, the Detroit Free Press, the Cleveland Playing Dealer, the Riley News and Observer because I wanted to be a print journalist. That was my sort of big thing. And then after that I worked at the News and Observer and Raley as a general assignment sports reporter for a couple of years, worked in Detroit, was a columnist in Orlando before I got to ESPN. Keep in mind, ESPN did not hire me to be on air talent. That's just something that evolved when I was there. They hired me to be a sports columnist for ESPN dot Com. So all that to say is that blueprint of coming up through print doesn't potentially work anymore. So I think probably the best advice that I can give you is to just get as many reps as possible. You didn't necessarily specify whether you want to produce, whether you want to be on air. I know you had such wonderful praise for Dan Levittard and I, but if you want to be on air, you have to give reps because our business is one where your experience is your currency, and that's what matters the most. And I would say if you're trying to get those reps, start wherever you are. If you're still in college, then I would say college radio, student TV, all those things that are available on campus. If you're not in knowledge, what I would say is that a lot of the entry level positions in media they just need capable hands. They just need people who going to show up on time and do the work. And because if you don't have a lot of experience, you also have one great quality. You're cheap, so that always helps as well. So what I would say, as soon as you possibly can start getting reps, depending on what it is that you want to do in this business. Also, I should mention Dan Levatar also came up through newspapers as I did, but as you see what's happening with local news, I'm not so sure that's a viable path. Also, let me just mention this final thing before I wrap up. When you want to be on air, hey, listen social media, TikTok, YouTube channels like, start talking to people, start getting reps, start getting comfortable being in front of a camera. That also will help you anyway. Try to answer your question as best that I can, and hopefully that will do you some kind of good. But you know, keep me updated on your progress because I'd love to know how you're doing. Thanks, Seth. Now, if you would like to ask me a question as well, you can email me your question or send me a video with your question, as Seth did. But if you send me a video, make sure it's thirty seconds or less. Send your questions to Spolitics twenty twenty four at gmail dot com. That's Politics twenty twenty four at gmail dot com. That's s PO L I T I c s. And remember, a new episode of Spolitics drops every Thursday on iHeart podcast or wherever you get your podcasts. This is politics where sports and politics don't just mix, they also matter Spolitics is the production of iHeart Podcasts and the Unbothered network. I'm Your host Jamel Hill. Executive producer is Taylor Schakoigne. Lucas Hymen is head of Audio and executive producer. Megan Armstrong is associate producer. Original music for Spolitics provided by Kyle Visz from wiz FX.