Speaker 1: If you don't have a spiritual life, you're never going to stop and ask any questions. You're just going to plow through life, and you're going to see everything that happens to you as just a random event. I don't believe that anything is random. I think everything that happens to us is meant to happen to us to teach us some kind of a lesson.
Speaker 2: Number one Health and Wellness podcast.
Speaker 3: Jay Shetty, Jay shettyly Madonad Welcome to On Purpose. I am so grateful to be here with you today. Thank you for the honor and the opportunity.
Speaker 1: And thank you for having me.
Speaker 3: I'm really really happy to be with you. After lots of FaceTime calls, yeah, and discussions about this conversation with.
Speaker 1: Fine definitely be in person.
Speaker 3: Absolutely absolutely, And I wanted to start off by asking you don't do a lot of interviews. We don't see you doing interviews, maybe even for the last nine ten years, and give or take, what's your intention for being here today? Why now? Why today?
Speaker 1: Well, in the past I've usually done I used to promote my work, whether that's music or a tour or film. But today I would like to talk about my spiritual life and the spiritual path that I've been on for over twenty eight years. This wisdom has helped me navigate them the ups and downs of life. For lack of a better expression, people ask me a lot through the years, like what is the reason you're still saying? What is the reason you keep going? Why have you not fallen by the wayside like other people. Definitely a lot of my peers who who are no longer with us like, what would you say is the key? And I would say that is my spiritual life. I absolutely would not be where I am or who I am if I did not have that. It's helped me enormously, as I said, navigate the ups and downs of life. So I feel like I would like to share that with people. So that's really the point of I'm not here to promote a product or I don't want anyone to buy anything. I just I want to share something with people that has pretty much saved my life. It sounds dramatic, but it's true.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it seems like it's something that's extremely meaningful to you and a deep part of your life that often I feel you don't get to share in other spaces. So even though it's been a part of your life for nearly three decades, maybe you haven't shared parts of it before. What would you have life look like if you didn't find it.
Speaker 1: I would believe that the physical world is all there is. I would believe all the illusions, and that would be my downfall, and that is most people's downfall.
Speaker 3: What does spirituality mean to you? Because I think that word itself means so many things to so many people.
Speaker 1: Yes, I mean a spiritual life, A spiritual path could could be mean a lot of things. I know that you have a spiritual path, and for me, it's not really about like who's is the best or you know, it's whatever works for you. I've been studying Kabbala for twenty nine years, so since nineteen ninety six. Yeah, it's a long time.
Speaker 3: It's a long time, and.
Speaker 1: I'm not a frivolous person. I don't suffer fools gladly. If something if I think there's something false about it or corrupt or not authentic, I wouldn't have stuck around for so long. I've had the same teacher for all this time. I feel like, almost like it's my responsibility to share with people because I feel like, I feel like people need guidance, people need enlightenment, And for me, a spiritual life is having an internal life because you know this, I'm sure you know. If we get caught up in the belief system that our value in the world is based on people loving us or other people's approval or how much money you have, or how many fabulous outfits you have or how many follows you have on Instagram, those things don't make us happy. Those things don't bring us peace. So having an internal life and being able to look internally and having some kind of practice whatever that might look like your prayer, your meditations, that the time you take out of every day to stop and take stock, like contemplate, we live in a very busy, chaotic world, lots of noise, lots of distraction. I mean, how many times have you heard people say, oh, you know, social media and like all the you know, people can't walk down the street without listening to music. Everybody has to be visually stimulated all the time. I'm like, there's no peace, there's no quiet. We're not comfortable being quiet with ourselves and looking inward and asking ourselves why am I here or what am I doing? Or what is my intention in this specific choice I'm making right now, whether it's about my work or the way I'm raising my children, decisions that I make about everything, Really, I have to ask myself. And if you don't have a spiritual life, you're never going to stop and ask any questions. You're just going to plow through life. And if you just and you're going to see everything that happens to you as just a random event. And I don't believe that anything is random. I think everything that happens to us is meant to happen to us to teach us some kind of a lesson. But the question is are you aware enough, are you awake enough? Are you interested enough to find out what that reason is?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 1: Why did this happen to me? What is my lesson? I don't want to go through life seeing everything that happens to me is random. But I also don't want to go through life as a victim. And I've had a pretty challenging life, and it's easy to fall into the trap of feeling sorry for yourself or like being a victim, or you know, why isn't this happening to other people? Why is it happening to me, why don't I have what that person has. I'm sure you know the expression comparison is the killer of joy, So you know, it's like, you got to get out of that game. You have to have a spiritual life. You just have to.
Speaker 3: You're reminding me of something beautiful that I came across called the third space theory. Have you heard of it. It's this idea that as humans around fifty years ago, we had three spaces. So we had work, we had home, and then you had a temple, a synagogue, a church, a community center, or a third space. And the point of that third space, it's kind of what you're saying, was a place that you could look back at work and home and you could reflect on your life, you could take stock, you could introspect. But as time's gone on, what's happened is we lost that third space. We stopped going to temple, church, community, whatever place of self reflection, a place of self reflection, and we ended up with working home, and then after the pandemic, we lost work, and so now we're in one space and we don't have a different advantage point to where we are anymore, which is what I think you're saying.
Speaker 1: Go back on even one more step. That to me is like a prison. Get if you get, if you remove the spiritual life, spiritual practice, you remove the workplace, then you're in the home, and then removed once more from home. Is you're looking at your phone, which is even takes you out of home.
Speaker 3: It's a great point.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so where are you aware?
Speaker 3: You're living in the virtual world. Yeah, we're living in the virtual world, not even in the material world.
Speaker 1: Yes, but in virtual and a virtual world is not a bad world. But if you don't have consciousness, there's really no point to living.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's yeah. So it's interesting to think about that because I feel like everyone can relate to the idea that if we all had we need physical spaces to sometimes make us do internal things.
Speaker 1: Yes, I mean some kind of ritualistic behavior has to happen.
Speaker 3: What have been your rituals? I'm intrigued what I'm curious? What are your spiritual practices and rituals that have been so supportive and emblematic of your journey, that have kept you going at the times. As you said, there were so many times you could give up, or things could go wrong, or you kept pushing and they kept you locked? What were they? What are they? Well?
Speaker 1: One really important thing is studying, making time every week to sit down and study. I mean, you can study the Bible, you can study the poetry of Cahil Gibran, or you can study the Vedas you you know.
Speaker 3: And you did that right. You actually studied different traditions.
Speaker 1: And I mean, to be honest, before I discovered Kabbala, I was looking for answers.
Speaker 3: And why do you think that was? Why were you looking for answers?
Speaker 1: Because I had everything that people would assume would give you happiness. I had successful career, I had fame, fortune, monetary things, physical things. But I wasn't happy, and I naturally sought out well. When I was a dancer, I had a roommate. She was a Buddhist and she would get up and chant every day, and so I was very intrigued by that, Like nothing bothered her, you know what I mean, Everything bothers me, Everything bothers me. I'm you know, I'm a Leo, I'm Italian. I'm very dramatic. I wouldn't say she was peaceful all the time, but I was just struck by her confidence and her knowingness that everything was happening for a reason. She never got upset about things. And this is in the beginning of my career when I was living in New York and I was broke and a lot of crazy things happened to me. It's really scary, traumatic things. And I would always ask her her name is Marianne. I would always say what, like why are you like never upset? So I attributed that to her spiritual life, but it didn't speak to me. And then later on I started practicing yoga Ashtanga yoga and my teacher, Eddie Stern, he still has a you know Eddie, Yeah, he's amazing. I got quite caught up in and competitive about like first series, second series, third series. But one thing I noticed is that a lot of people would come into his practice, his studio where he taught, and they wouldn't even do the posts. They would just go and sit in front of the statue of ganesh or light candles or prayer. And I realized, and Eddie pointed it out to me because sometimes I would have injuries, I would or I would be traveling and I couldn't practice yoga, and he say, look are you breathing, And I'd say yes, and he said, you're practicing yoga. So I realized that I was too, still, too caught up in the physical poses. He's like, no, you don't understand. You're missing the whole point. The poses are just something that you do to breathe through, to calm your nervous system down and to bring you back to your center. And that really spoke to me. There was a big now it was a painting on the wall of the yoga studio. It says desire and detachment. And I said, what does that mean? And he said, well, of course we want. We want all the beautiful things in life. We want all the pleasures, we want, all the happiness, we want every we want it all. There's nothing wrong with that which can't be attached to it, because then if you're attached to it and you don't have it, what's going to happen to you? So I studied that for a while, and I studied Sanskrit. I had a teacher, and you know, I learned that the vibrations of the letters, you know, had a calming effect on your nervous system and centered you and placed you firmly rooted in the earth. And all of that made sense to me. But then again, nothing happens by accident. But I was pregnant with my daughter, Lola, my oldest daughter, and I suddenly realized I was living in la I suddenly realized, I'm going to be responsible for an other human being. What am I going to teach her? I'm just I'm like a meteor like making my way through the you know, the on this planet. Like you know, I have great survival instincts, I have a great work ethic. Yes, I'm very ambitious all of those things. But I was never like I was just knocking him down, you know what I mean, and not like looking back like I'm going to be somebody, because that's you know, that's why I came to New York in the first place. I will never go back to the nobody life I had when I was a child growing up. So I definitely was fueled by an inner drive, but I would not say that I was spiritual or conscious. When I was pregnant, I suddenly realized I knew nothing and I was a slave or a victim of other people's opinions of me. And I didn't have really even though it looks like and looked like I was confident, brave, audacious, whatever you know, I, deep down inside it was not.
Speaker 2: So.
Speaker 1: I was at a dinner.
Speaker 3: Party while you were pregnant.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was at a dinner party at my friends in La and there was a woman sitting next to me and I knew her vaguely. She's a costume designer. She was a costume designer. Her husband's a director. And she said, oh, you should come with me to class. And I said, what class. I'm open to classes, by the way, I love being a student. So what's the class all about. She said, there's a teacher there. It's something called Kabbala. It's next to a synagogue. And I was like, wait, so he's Jewish and she said yeah, but it doesn't have anything to do with being Jewish. It's just a belief system, not a belief system, like a philosophy about life that you know, you could learn a lot from. And I said, okay, I'll go. So I did, and that's how I met my teacher. And I literally would sit in the back of class for years. Mostly men were in the class at the time. It was, but everything that he said seemed to make so much sense to me and gave me courage to be who I am and who I meant to be, and made me actually think about intention and a real sense of purpose, because my sense of purpose can't just be I want to be rich and famous, or I want to be popular, or I want to sell a lot of records, because none of that lasts. But it wasn't until I went to class that I actually started thinking about those things. So I just kept going and here I am today. But you know, motherhood are being a parent is really what made me start asking questions that I most likely I should have asked them sooner, but I didn't because I was just caught up in my self.
Speaker 3: I love that story for so many reasons, one of them being that my journey to my spirituality had certain similarities in that. Not that I was pregnant, so definitely not that one. But I had a friend and friends who were starting to get interested in spirituality, and they invited me to hear a monk speak. And I'd seen monks while I was growing up, but i'd never really engaged with one or really understood what they did or meant. And I'm so glad I said yes to going along. And I was very young. I was eighteen nineteen years old. I wasn't even seeking. I was open and I was curious, right, And to be honest, I was doing what everyone else was doing at that time when you're eighteen nineteen year old kid like you experimenting, experimenting and doing everything else under the sun. But I'm so glad I went because now, looking back, I find that after meeting the monks that I met, it gave my life a compass at a very early age that I'm so grateful for because it changed the entire trajectory of my life. I can't imagine what I would have ended up doing in the same way as you did. And it sounds dramatic, but it's true that without the group of friends that invited me to go along and meet my teachers who would become my future teachers, I can't imagine what life could be like.
Speaker 1: And are those teachers still your teachers?
Speaker 3: Yes? Absolutely, still since that time, so it's been nearly twenty years now. That's meaningful, yeah, very meaningful.
Speaker 1: And are your friends that came with you still also studying.
Speaker 3: Or one of those one of those yes? Absolutely. One of those friends was my best man at my wedding and he studies under the same teachers.
Speaker 1: That's cool. Yeah, what about the woman who took me to class? No, okay, no, sho stick with it.
Speaker 3: Are you still there at all or not? Yes?
Speaker 1: I am sometimes.
Speaker 3: Yeah. It's amazing to hear that you had this ambition and this drive to become successful and at the same time there was this spiritual calling. Yes, that was almost happening simultaneously. How did you reconcile the two when to the external lie they could look very opposite. How did you actually right look weird?
Speaker 1: You mean, not weird in.
Speaker 3: The sense of I think a lot of people assume that spirituality and success don't go together. A lot of people would.
Speaker 1: Think that's absurd. Those are narrow minded people. I mean, you need to be spiritual to be successful. Success is having a spiritual life period. It's interesting because I had this boyfriend some time ago, and after we broke up, we saw each other years later, and I was telling him about Cabal. He's like, oh, yeah, that makes a lot of sense because you grew up as a Catholic. I know how religious your mother was. And I was like, no, no, that's not what it is at all. It's got nothing to do with religion. Everybody has to find the path that speaks to them and resonates with them. But I do think it's important to have one. And I dare say if you didn't have a spiritual path, you wouldn't be as successful as you are today. I will make that assumption in your work, in your marriage, in your friendships, all your relationships. It honestly, it sounds like a really like a cliche your spiritual life. Even I was like the reason, but it's just got a bad rap. You know, you, like one hundred percent can have a spiritual life and be successful. I wouldn't be here if I didn't have one.
Speaker 3: Let's talk about how your spiritual life has impacted your different roles, because you played so many roles in life, and let's start with artists, because that's what the majority of our viewers and our audience will connect with you on your spiritual life has directly impacted your art. When did you feel it was first introduced to your art? How was it introduced? How would you use it to inspire your art?
Speaker 1: About a year after I started studying, I made my Ray of Light album and that is one hundred percent influenced by my study with spiritual practice, like a door opened for me and I certainly and maybe I was spiritual without knowing it unconsciously. But and some things happened. I mean often things would happen where I would have visions or I would get ideas and I would manifest them. And if you're too busy to sit for a moment and think, Wow, that's so amazing what just happened? I channeled that, Like you don't actually know that you're tapping into another dimension until you start paying attention to the other, to the idea that there is more to life than you and I sitting in this room on a chair, Like if you believe in energy, and you believe in universal laws, and you believe in quantum physics, like the possibilities are endless, and miracles, the idea of miracles is not a foreign concept. It's not a lucky strike, you know what I mean. It definitely affected my work. I became conscious of the fact that I was and am I am channeling, Like that's what I'm doing. I don't own it. It's not mine. I am a vessel for it. I'm a vessel for this light, which in turn, my goal is to share with other people now that I can do that through my work. I can do that through my music, I can do that through my relationships with people. I can do that as a friend, I can do that as a mother, as a parent. So you realize that it can. It informs every part of your life. But the one really important thing, well, one of the many important things that my teacher taught me was that I am not the owner of my talent. I am the manager. As long as you keep that consciousness and you're aware like people who run to say I did that, that was my idea. I mean, you created an opportunity for yourself by allowing yourself to be a vessel for this. Call it what you like magic. I think it's magic. I think when you channel artistic ideas and you have creative visions, it's magic. And when you think it overthink it, or you start thinking about how much of that you own, you stop it. That's why a lot of I would say, this is my observation that a lot of people have these great kind of meteoric careers and they rise up and they take the world by storm, and they influence the masses, and they and then they just something happens and they can't handle the light and they're not even aware of it, and in a way they fly too close to the light and it burns them. Yeah, and I would say that's really true about many of my peers that I had. I was lucky enough to know them, whether that's Prince or Michael Jackson or Jean michelle boskiat the painter like the these are like people who had just were channeling, channeling, But I also don't think they understood like the concept of their their what they were channeling, and that you know, there has to be some kind of restriction. There has to be some kind of filament. There has to be, you know, like people like to take drugs, right why because it makes they're they're actually channeling light where there you know, tripping on acid, but it's light with no restriction, and then that's what kills you or burns you out to the light. No, no, no, thank God.
Speaker 3: Because everybody was when everyone else was doing.
Speaker 1: The universe God, Honestly, people ask me that all the time because I grew up when I came to New York, when I was broke and I had no friends, know where to live, no nothing, Really what protected me from you know I was held a bit gunpoint, I was robbed, like I was raped. I like, always horrendous things up to me, But I just feel like I've always had a guardian angel. It just it took me a minute to figure out that how blessed I was and that the universe was protecting me and looking out for me.
Speaker 3: Was that a realization that came after because I mean when you talk, well, when you talk about the events of I mean getting raped, being held at gunpoint, these are extremely traumatic, stressful, I mean the most extreme tragic events people could go through in their life. The realization you're sharing today, How long talk to me about the journey of having that experience and then getting to the realization you just mentioned, because I'm assuming it's not immediate and no.
Speaker 1: Through that first there was just my determination that I think I was so I had such an unhappy childhood that whatever happened to me in New York City, I was like, whatever happens to me is better than what my life was. So I'm gonna I'm sticking around. I'm not going back. But you see, the worst things that happened to you are the best things that happened to you. Because if that had if my childhood hadn't been what it had been, if I had lost my mother, if I hadn't had all of these challenges as a child, I would have thought of my home as a place of comfort and I would have gone back. But I didn't. So that's what kept me going. And then you know, there are challenges in my career though. Even though I was very successful, I went through many periods of time where the press was beeeding up on me. I was demonized. What kept me going? I don't I don't know, like I said Guardian Angels, But again I wasn't conscious of it until I was pregnant. Then I start to see, like everything started to like come into focus for me. But it's not. I make it sound like it's an easy thing, like studying, Like the more you know, the harder everything is, and the more enlightened you try to become, the more conscious you try to become, the more tests you have, the more you know. It's like why, Like the more you know, the more you realize you don't know, and the more you aspire to be conscious, the more you feel like everyone's trying to drag you down and take you out of it and convince you that it's not true or you know the tests, Yeah, and you know life is a test, let's face it.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I was thinking about, as you were saying that a bit earlier, of managing that balance between recognizing you are a manager of the light and you are not the light itself. I was thinking of this story about Marcus Aurelius where he was followed around the Roman town square by an assistant, and the assistant's only job was to whisper in his ear, You're just a man, You're just a man, because people would praise him, and people would shower him with accolades and compliments, and the assistant would remind him. And it said that that was done so that he could always remain grounded. I can imagine for you to not fall into the trap of believing you're the light is extremely difficult when you're one of the best selling artists of all time, when, like you said, you name the company, there's only the Beatles, yourself, Michael Jackson, that sit in this esteemed group of individuals who've achieved incredible things. How did you hold on to that beautiful belief that you're not the light and your manager of the light when anyone else could easily believe they were.
Speaker 1: By continuing to have a spiritual practice spiritual life, by continuing to study like always pulls you back two center.
Speaker 3: Were you able to keep it up when you were like on tour or when you're building you albums? Wow?
Speaker 1: Everyone crazy? My manager's like, why can't we have shows on this night? Or why are you late? Because I'm because I'm praying? Like what you know what I mean?
Speaker 3: Like, would you.
Speaker 1: People who are only focused on absolutely pray before every show, But people are focused on making money are definitely not focused on spiritual life. You have to have your feet in both worlds.
Speaker 3: And I literally wouldn't do a show on a day because that that was your study day.
Speaker 1: Yeah, or I would be late. Yeah, I get a lot of shit for being late.
Speaker 3: Walk me through.
Speaker 1: Honestly, it's really hard to balance being a parent, having work, having a spiritual life. You're you're constantly juggling. You know, there's it's not there's not a lot of time to rest. And if people don't recognize that, then they're just going to look at you in a very one percent, like superficial way and go you're late. It's like but you don't understand what I was doing before I got I became late.
Speaker 3: I want to talk about how spirituality affected you your role as a mother. Obviously you said that becoming a mother yourself is actually what even began that enlightenment. It kind of began that journey. It felt like a responsibility, It felt like a moment of change.
Speaker 1: How is well, my mother died after giving birth to all my brothers and sisters, so literally, like the year after my youngest sister was born, my mother died. So I always equated motherhood with death. So and I also equated it with I could see she was not happy. I could see she wasn't living the life she wanted to live. I equated it with death, or I equated it with no freedom, or I equated it with no life except taking care of other people. And so when I started, when I came to New York and I started my career, I was like, no, this is not for me. I don't want to be a mother. I don't want that. I wasn't saying it out loud, but I was thinking that, like, why would I give all of this up? I worked so hard for it. Well, one day I found that I was pregnant and I and I had been running away from it for so long. And I wouldn't say I was in a stable relationship, but I loved her father, so I wasn't really thinking it through. But I was like, Okay, this happened. This happened to me, so it's meant to happen to me. But honestly, what the hell am I going to teach my daughter? Like, how am I going to guide her? I've just been living this, you know, completely selfish life really that you know turned out good in many ways, but in reality, I was doing everything for my own self. And I also kind of thought, well, you know, okay, I'm pregnant, so I'm going to be a mother, so I'll figure it out. I'll work it out. But honestly, I was scared shitless and I wasn't in a traditional relationship. And once again, like this is the story of my life. I keep finding myself in unconventional or untraditional or unusual or unfamiliar places, and I have to keep adjusting. And I say that, I would say that that is also the reason that I'm still here and still going and have the strength to fight things or just to survive because being too comfortable in life, I would say, is the downfall of a lot of people who started off taking chances, taking risks.
Speaker 3: Is that something success does to you? Do you think where in the beginning you take risks and you get it.
Speaker 1: I feel like that happens to other people, not me. I think I've always been felt like an outsider in life. I felt like an outsider growing up in Michigan. I felt like an outsider when I came to New York. I felt like an outsider when I moved to LA and had my Hollywood life. You know, I always felt like I did when I was in high school. I don't fit in, and not fitting in is what saves you, and that you know studying Kabala, No nobody else was interested in it, not my friend group, And if I would speak about it to people, they'd be like, oh, that's really interesting. Having a spiritual life isn't necessarily going to make you popular, but if you're a conscious person searching for truth, then it's going to be interesting. Like I'm interested in your spiritual path, your spiritual life. I want to know what you do, what it does for you. I want to know how you do it because I'm curious, and curiosity and being an outsider, and those are the things that actually save you, even though it's not supported in our society to think outside the box, to take the road less traveled by, to not be so concerned with approval public approval. And now we live in a world where everyone follows algorithms, and algorithms are the opposite of taking chances. They are the opposite of being unique. They're the opposite of spiritual life. They're the opposite of consciousness. That's why artificial intelligence cannot duplicate consciousness. It can duplicate doing things following formulas, but it can't duplicate consciousness. So now have we gotten really?
Speaker 3: After that, I love it, thought it's great to be in your stream of consciousness, and that on that point I will get back. But I often get asked the question right now when I'm on panels of do I ever believe that AI will have a soul? And my response is always I just hope that the people who are building AI have a soul, because yeah, ultimately it's becoming a reflection of whatever is inside of us. But I digress, going back to going back to how gone you're going to say no.
Speaker 1: You're you're right, yep, the people who make it, but are.
Speaker 3: They Yeah, that's the most important part.
Speaker 1: That's the scariest part.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the intention and the purity and consciousness.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I just repeat that like a mantra. Consciousness is everything. Consciousness is everything, but a lot of people don't even know what that is.
Speaker 3: Became a mom and you're trying to teach your children about I guess I'm assuming you will. Yeah, you wanted to pause some of these teachings on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean they grew up learning it and studying it, studying or listening to me, study with my teachers, or listening to other people, and they would bounce back and forth between thinking it was silly or something weird that mom does, or but I see that it has impacted all of them.
Speaker 3: What makes you see that because they study.
Speaker 1: Not all of them. But I feel like my children who have a spiritual life are happier than the ones who do not.
Speaker 3: But obviously they could start at any time. It could happen.
Speaker 1: I'm not you know, there's no cohercion and spirituality like if you either it speaks to you or it doesn't.
Speaker 3: I remember my dad was trying to get us to do things for so long, and you rejected it so hard, because.
Speaker 1: Yes, well that's the other thing. Children always reject their parents the path they followed, their belief systems. They think it's stupid, and then they are they come back around a little bit totally. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's that famous quote that says, the day you realize your parents were right, your kids are telling you that you're wrong. And I think it's en often when experienced that people have. Yeah, how did kabbala impact your and your spiritual practice impact your role as a daughter, because, like you said, you lost your mother when you were five.
Speaker 1: To a certain extent, I resented my father growing up because I felt like he wasn't present for us emotionally. He did have a lot of responsibilities, and I's a deeply Catholic person, but I don't I felt like he followed his spiritual path or he followed Catholicism because that's how it was, that's how he was raised, that's how it was done when I was growing up. If I wanted to ask a question about why do we do this, why are we genuflecting, why are we receiving the body and blood, of Christ. Why is my father didn't have an answer, He'd just say that's what is written. And what drew me to Kabala was that I could ask questions and there were answers and questions were invited, which is the opposite of how it was brought up. So I thought I looked at my father as kind of like a religious robot, you know what I mean. Not that he's not a good person, but I didn't want to be a robot, and especially having a spiritual life, I started to see my father as a human being and see that he was a human that made mistakes and that he did the best with what he was taught he was given. When those cylinders start clicking in your head, you start to have a lot more compassion, not just for your parents, but for all people who don't see life the way you see it, that you don't agree with. It brought me to a place where I could have more compassion for him.
Speaker 3: I mean that seems like a really big gift, yeah, to have the understanding, and I could agree. I think spiritual context create so much compassion when you are able to zoom out and look at someone's life like I remember the moment I really had compassion for my dad was when I visited the home he grew up in, which was this room. I mean, I can't even compare it to this. His home was like probably just from here to here, like his entire home and they shared a bathroom with twenty thirty families. Yeah, and we went outside. I was nine years old. We're in India and there's cockroaches around us in Pune, and there's cockroaches around his home. There's bats in the you know, and it's just like and inside. And I was nine years old and I couldn't believe that. You know, that's when my dad grew up. And it was almost like something clicked where I was like I, unless I saw that, I wouldn't have had that experience because it was always easier to assume that their life.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well that's the thing, like I say to my kids all the time, like you're judging me by the chapter you arrived in, Like this is not how my life has been, and it's really hard for kids to see that.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, going there was probably one of the best things that ever happened to me, because it's what you're saying. I was able to go to a previous chapter in someone's life. And even though my childhood we went well to do or we didn't have anything, but we didn't have a lot. Going to see that, I was like, oh gosh, my life is a million times better than this, and having that context was huge for me. I want to hear about how you were able to apply these principles in the difficulty of the big things you're talking about, because whether it's reconnecting with our parents, whether it's recovering from being raped, whether it's dealing with these challenges you've dealt with. As you said, it doesn't up and overnight. It's not easy. It is the level of study and work. But talk to me about the emotional journey of shifting from a victim to whatever you would call this on the other side, because it would be very natural for anyone to feel that way. I want to hear about the emotional journey and the spiritual journey you went on. What were some of the steps or stages that you saw that if anyone is listening or watching, can recognize and potentially well.
Speaker 1: The first thing is you're suffering all the time if you don't have a spiritual life, like you're just suffering all the time, and you really think that whatever is happening to is like something that's never going to end, and you drew the wrong.
Speaker 3: Card, you know, That's how you feel.
Speaker 1: That's how I used to think. And even now since I've been studying, there's been times where I've been really challenged and really suffered in certain situations, and I if I didn't have a spiritual life, I don't know how I wanted. You know, there were moments in my life where I wanted to cut my arms off. I wanted I actually contemplated suicide. And that probably sounds really weird coming from me, because I'm not that I'm not emo, you know what I mean. But I was like, I can't take this pain anymore. But as soon as you understand that what's happening to you is a challenge that you are karmically meant to experience and learn from and evolve to a higher level of consciousness, then you can look at that event, that experience as a lesson and not punishment.
Speaker 3: What pain at the time pushed you to that place of potentially wanting to take your own life.
Speaker 1: I mean, I don't, I don't, I don't. I'm not in the blame game. That's the thing. I used to be that way, and I used to always want to seek a and you know, somebody did did me wrong, or I would pronounce loudly, oh well, you know, they'll get their own karma. Well whatever, you know what I mean. And even knowing about karma doesn't mean you're a grown up, that doesn't mean you're not being a victim. But I would say probably one of the most painful moments in my life where I honestly couldn't see the forest through the trees for the trees, was when I went through a custody battle with my son and I you know, even though my marriage didn't work out. I mean a lot of people marriages don't work out. They marry their own people. They're not aligned, they're not meant for each other. Someone taking trying to take my child away from me was like they might as well just kill me. That's really how I was thinking. And I was on tour at the time, so I had to go on stage every night. I would just be lying on the floor of my dressing room sobbing. I really thought it was like it was the end of the world. I couldn't take it. I just couldn't take it. But thank god, I don't feel that way anymore. And I had to keep you know, studying, Like, continuing my studies and continuing on my spiritual path like helped me to understand that, you know, the enemy is within. You know, lots of people do lots of bad things and make a lot of bad choices, or make choices that cause other people pain, suffering or chaos or whatever. But at the end of the day, I needed to learn some lessons. And I can see that with the benefit of hindsight, but I couldn't see it at the time. And also I was abandoned as a child by my own mother, and so losing a child like it was like life repeating itself. I couldn't accept it, and so it caused me a lot of suffering, and not being able to accept things causes all of us a lot of suffering. So yes, and now you know, I'm happy to say that I'm really good friends with my son. But I couldn't see it then. I really thought it was the end of the world. So, you know, thank god I had a spiritual life.
Speaker 3: Was the lesson radical acceptance.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly. It took me a long time, actually several years. Radical acceptance is just accepting that what is happening to you is meant to happen to you, and that you're going to be okay. I mean, it's not an instant thing. There's no such thing as an instant thing. There's no way we're going to escape suffering. Even if we grow up with wealth privilege, and you know it didn't grow up in a small room. You know, our challenges and our suffering is going to come to us in a different way. I can give you another example of radical acceptance, and that is and this is something that my teacher shared with me about a year and a half ago. I was rehearsing for my tour, a tour and I I got a bacterial infection and I one minute I was alive and dancing around, and the next minute I was in the ICU unit of a hospital. And I woke up from being unconscious for four days, I got out of the hospital. They took me off of you know, the ventil Later, I started to breathe on my own, and I had something that's something it's called sepsis, and it's like it can kill you and everybody recovers at a different rate, and so you know, I've always seen myself as superwoman. So I was like, oh, I'm gonna I'm gonna, this is gonna I'm gonna kick this. I'm going to be good. I'm getting back into rehearsals. And I had no strength, I had no energy. I couldn't get out of bed, and I didn't know when it was going to end. And I used to talk to my teacher all the time, and he's like, the sooner you accept what's happening to you, and that you don't know when it's going to end, the sooner it's going to end. That made so much sense to me, and of course it did. But I mean I've heard some people never recover from it completely, never recover and have their like full health again. So again, it's the same idea, same concept, like if you sit around feeling sorry for yourself, oh well, woe is me? Or poor me? Or this is like I don't accept it, I will not accept it. Well, then you're just going to be swimming and suffering.
Speaker 3: You're reminding me of something I read in a it's not a spiritual book, but it has a similar message. It's called Culture Code by Daniel Coyle, and he talks in this book about how when soldiers were out a war, a lot of them wanted to believe they'd be back by Christmas, and there were the others that accepted that they had no idea when they were going to get home. And he talks about that those who accepted that they had no idea when they were going to get home were actually happier and were able to endure what they were going through a lot easier than those who hoped they'd get back on Christmas and then yeah, didn't.
Speaker 1: Yes, it's like the Victor Frankel book.
Speaker 3: Yes and Such for me, Yeah, yeah, exactly, And it's such it's when when I hear it from those really extreme scenarios, you're like, wow, if Victor Frankel can think that, you know, in the experience that he had, you go okay, well, and Edith eager with the gift and you go wow, like yeah, if you can have that experience there, then then there must be some truth to that, because how could you accept that when it was when you were going through the worst. Yeah, yeah, it's really really tough going back to your experience of that, What would you say, because you mentioned karma there and this idea of choices we make and lessons we need to learn, and karma almost being this experience of learning the lessons. How do you see karma? How do you define karma from your learnings and studies? And let's stop there, and then I'll ask the second question after that.
Speaker 1: My personal understanding is that our souls choose the lives that we are born into the circumstances we are born into, that our souls are perfect, but then we're born into a life which is one challenge after an next after the next, and that our journey is to navigate and to see that each challenge that happens to us is our karmic destiny. It's energy, the law of its quantum physics, it's caused and effect. Whatever's happening to me that might be uncomfortable is obviously meant to happen to me to teach me a lesson. And if I don't learn that lesson at that point, it's going to come up again and again and again until I learn it and accept then it's a lesson, not a punishment. So that's how you get out of victim mentality.
Speaker 3: Also, what was the lesson that kept repeating for you and took you a bit longer than you would have liked to learn. What was the one that kept showing up?
Speaker 1: Betrayal or abandonment Sometimes they go hand in hand, but it really kept me like I saw a lot of people or I felt and experienced it. I was constantly being either abandoned or betrayed. So that kept me in a state sometimes off, often like feeling sorry for myself, stuck in a place of blaming others and not taking responsibilities for well, how did I bring this upon myself? Or why asking the question well, why is this happening to me? Over and over again? Obviously I need to learn something. I think everybody if they think about it, like what is the thing that always comes back to you? Or like for everybody it's something different. Obviously, I think the abandonment thing was the greatest lesson to that I could teach me that I could stop being destroyed by it or paralyzed by it. Was to think of all like how am I not showing up for other people? How am I abandoning other people?
Speaker 3: How am I abandoning myself?
Speaker 1: How long have I been not listening to myself, my inner truth, my inner voice. Yes, and we all say goodbye to our inner selves at some point or another until something wakes us up. Push has to come to shop for everybody, there's just no way to escape it. So that's something that as a concept that you have to get your head around. There's no running away from being tested. There's no running away from experiencing pain, suffering, whether it's physical or emotional. I mean, and that obviously that takes life experience and living and you know, going everything's going well for me, I'm so happy, everything's great. Oh no, this is like, this is a failure. People are writing negative shit about me, like you know, or this relationship ended, or this person cheated on me or this, you know, like all these things that happened to you. Rejection like and then you go and you go, no, I'm not happy. If you're going to go through life like being a slave to these like ups and downs, you're just going to be like, I don't know how you can last, obviously, I mean it's obvious to me. I don't know if it's obvious to you or anybody who's watching this, But I don't know how we can maintain our sanity, and especially now. I mean when people lived simpler lives and we didn't see what was going on in the world, and we didn't like we weren't so connected like we are because of technology and the end of the internet whatever, it's hard not to get like anxious or start blaming or taking sides or feeling you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I loved I loved what you said. This one line will stay with me for a long time. I really really thought it was beautiful. You said we all say goodbye to our in ourselves at some point, and that really landed because that's why it feels like we're coming home to ourselves when you and I think everyone who's listening and watching can if they've started their spiritual journey, they've started their reconnection journey. They know what that feeling's like, where it's like, yeah, wait, when I left myself and now I'm coming back to myself.
Speaker 1: Yes, I always say, what was I thinking before? I was thinking? Right, I don't even know, So I was just thinking about myself. But ironically and paradoxically, when you're just thinking about yourself and consume with yourself, you're actually not connected to yourself at all, you know what I mean?
Speaker 3: Yeah, how did it change now when you go through betrayal or you go through rejection, or any of those things that you talked about. How do you process it differently now with your spiritual practices than you did before. What's the different experience you have of it?
Speaker 1: Well? I spend less time feeling sorry for myself, being a victim blaming, and more time thinking, okay, why did this happen to me? What's the lesson? I mean, I go to that sooner well than I did before.
Speaker 3: What's the difference between self blame and accountability? Because I feel a lot of people fall into the trap of now you don't go and blame other people, but you blame yourself and you go, I messed up. I should have chosen right, I should have done that.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, self reflection and acknowledging and being accountable for your behavior. It's not the same as feeling guilty. That feeling guilty is just you're consumer with your.
Speaker 3: Ego flaming yourself.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so you're not going to get anywhere with that. That just stops any kind of growth from happening.
Speaker 3: It's pretty amazing to say that you can speed up to that point of asking yourself that question of what can I learn from this? I mean, that's the ultimate question.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And believe me, it's not something that stays with me all the time. So sometimes I forget and I'm like, I'm doing this again. I'm doing it again. I'm falling back into a familiar pattern. Yeah. But if you don't know, then you're not like it's important to know again, not beat up on yourself. Well, okay, I made a mistake. What can I learn from it? Swallow your pride? How your eager to shut up?
Speaker 3: Basically, you mentioned the word manifesting earlier and channeling and being a vessel, and I wanted to ask you because manifesting becomes very popular in the world today as a concept. It's at least out there people understand the word. Now. When people would look at your career, they would assume you've manifested incredible amounts of successful yourself, incredible amounts of wins and all the rest of it. Talk to us about your process of manifestation. What does it actually look like.
Speaker 1: If you're manifesting things and you're not conscious that it's a gift from the universe, from the life from the creator, whatever you want to call it. If you're not aware of that and you're not conscious, then okay, you you invented something great, you created this thing that now is selling billions. But everything becomes finite when you're not manifesting with the with the consciousness that you are channeling something. You don't own it. So that's a big thing.
Speaker 3: Sure, So whatever.
Speaker 1: So if I have a successful show, if I have successful if anything happens to me successfully like it is perceived as a success in the outside world, I just say, you know, that's how blessed am I. I manifested that with the help of God. I didn't do it on my own. I do nothing on my own. And if if you think you're manifesting on your own in your you're like an ostrich with your head in the sand, and there will be an end to whatever you're manifesting.
Speaker 3: So if someone desires something, they've got to recognize that it's not their hand, it's something that they're willing to become.
Speaker 4: Well.
Speaker 1: I mean, it requires work to be conscious, It requires work to see that you're channeling something and being a vessel for something. So you do have your part in it, but you're not on your own. That's the point.
Speaker 3: And a lot of us feel like, I'm going to do this. When I do this, I'll get this, and when I get this, then I will be this person that's.
Speaker 1: Desire for selfish reasons. You're you know, manifesting success is whenever you want something for the sake of sharing, when you want something just for yourself, Like I'll be happy when I have ten bugattis and a mansion in every major city and I'm the brand ambassador of Louis Vuitton. No sense to Louis Vuitton, just throwing that out there, but you know what I mean, Like those things like really make people happy, but it's short lived and sooner or later. Everybody comes to that realization anyways. It's just whether it's sooner or later. And these are the things. I talk about this in our studies. You know, let's get back to why I'm here, and my intention is to share my spiritual life with people. We talk about in our studies, we talk about manifesting, and we talk about being a channel, and you know, I share in one of the studies, I talk about writing my first song, for example, and how I taught myself how to play the drums, and I my friend, my boyfriend at the time, was in a band, and he taught me how to play guitar, like just simple chords, and when nobody was around, I would start playing with all the instruments and start without thinking, without any like I'm going to be this or I'm going to be that. Let me just I just sat down and wrote a song for the first time, and I was and I was very conscious at that moment after it happened, where did that come from? Well? How did that happen? I didn't grow up with musicians. I didn't grow up with songwriters, no one. I didn't have a goal to be that. Where did it come from? And so when you start like opening your eyes to that, where did how did that happen? Where did that come from? Then you see you see the possibilities, You see the magic of the universe of life, and you see that you know that was that was a gift. Some angels showed up in my room and you know what am I going to do with that gift? So these moments happened to you throughout life. They happen to everybody, whether you're saving someone's life or you have this incredible idea for some life saving invention. You know what I mean. We're all blessed with those moments, and it's you know, it's really the important thing is to acknowledge where that came from. That's really manifesting.
Speaker 3: I love that. That's my favorite explanation and manifestation I've ever heard. Truly, it really is, because I think what often happens in substitute of what you said is we have an idea and then we try and manufacture that set of inputs and outputs again to get that again, and then it doesn't work, and then we're confused because like, wait a minute, last time I did this and did this and did this, then I got this, and now I'm trying to do it again, and then you get stuck because now you think you can't do it. But the reality is that's just a very functional way of looking at something that's far beyond input output and manufacturing. You can't manufacture to manifest it doesn't make sense. No, Yeah, I really really like that. I really really appreciate that definition, and I think that's going to help a lot of people because I think the way it's being talked about right now is just being be clear about your goals and be really clear about what you want. And I mean that's important too.
Speaker 1: Say out loud what you want out of life. That is important, but it's it's you're in a partnership that that's really what's important to remember. Yeah, and we become our environments as well, So we want to surround ourselves with people who with like minded individuals. And if you are around people who also are attaining to reach a higher level of consciousness or want to know the deeper meanings of life, or want to look inward and figure out why what their karmic destiny is, or even taken to consideration the idea of karma. I mean you need that also because if you don't have that support system, then you can also fall back into the trap of recreating formulas at work or trying to capture some magical moment and make it magic again. And that's just our ego taking over and telling.
Speaker 3: Us, you know, I did that, I did that, I can do it again. Yeah.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 3: One of my favorite ways of thinking about it, especially when you said it's a partnership, is when we look at the universe, everything's always said, so the sun's providing light and heat. Waters obviously giving us life, oxygen exists, trees are giving us shade and fruits and flowers, and so in order to really be in partnership with the universe, one has to want to serve because everything is designed to serve and give, and everything's designed to give and serve and provide. And so when we're not serving, we're actually acting against the universe because everything in the universe is designed simply to give. We're wired for generosity but educated for greed, and when that juxtaposition comes up against itself, it just creates friction. It's like, we all feel better when we do something for someone else. Absolutely, we all feel more joy when you take care of someone in need, more than if you did it for yourself. And the science and the research backs up as well. This isn't some woo woo spiritual idea.
Speaker 1: No, absolutely the truth.
Speaker 3: But it's amazing how our conditioning and education is so the oppos it that we will believe.
Speaker 1: That every man for himself.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, that's the statement. No, how much unconditioning does it take for us to lose the every man for himself mindset? What does that look like in your spiritual practice?
Speaker 1: And journey especially and not fall back into that trapuing to continue to have a spiritual life, spiritual practice, to study, to stop every you know, whether every day, once a week you people don't have some kind of ritualistic moment in their life, like I said, whether it's every day or a few times a week, that like, what's going to stop you? You know what I mean? You have to have that moment where you're thinking about what you've done, thinking about what you'd like to do, thinking about what you know. Have I capitalized on the opportunities that have come my way, not monetarily spiritually like what did I do to help someone? What have I done for others? I mean, that's really the only way you can be successful in life.
Speaker 3: What were you trying to channel when you were creating in your music and what were you trying to do to help people? What was well?
Speaker 1: In the beginning, I just wanted to be somebody. I just wanted to be somebody like I wanted to have a voice. I wanted to make a difference in the world. But I wasn't clear about what that meant. Now I'm clear about what it means.
Speaker 3: What does it mean today that.
Speaker 1: Everything I say has weight and gravity, and that words are powerful and actions are powerful. And I always ask myself like why am I doing this? Why do I want to? Why is this song important to me? Why is this performance important to me? Why is this conversation we're having right now important to me? That's really the difference is like having intention and conscious we're really like I'm repeating myself over and over again. I can't think of other words that capture that, but self awareness. Self awareness doesn't really do it because self awareness kind of implies like selfishness, you know what I mean, a day at the spa, not that that's not something to be enjoyed. I could I could use sure my roof has been leaking for a month. Yeah, I want to go to the spot. That's okay, But that's not going to bring me lasting happiness.
Speaker 3: Well, I think that's the reality of it, right, Like when you look at your experience, there's this everyone's experience is this paradox where it's like you have the highest highs the lowest lows. You have a life that of course you need everyday self care, but there's also what is lasting happiness and these bigger questions we all live in this world, but we're not of this world. It's it's almost like everything that it makes more sense to recognize it's both and as opposed to either.
Speaker 1: Raw well, you have have to live in the paradox. Yeah, it's like the greatest amount of light is where there's darkness, and you can reveal the most amount of light when you're in a dark room. You turn on the light. When you're in a room that's already light, what do you There's no effort made, So should we look for darkness? You know what I mean? Should be but no, But when we are in that space where we're feeling dark, where we're feeling an absence of light, an absence of hope, an absence of inspiration of vision, then you have to Those are the moments, the challenging moments, where you say, you have to say to yourself, this is my opportunity to bring light to a dark place. You know, spiritual wisdom is not helpful when everything's going your way. It's helpful when you're challenged and when you're happy. It's it's helpful to remember that at any given time, in any moment, it could be gone. So don't take it for granted. Have humility, be grateful when things are going your way, and when you're being tested, also be grateful. That's a hard one. That was a hard one for me. It still is, but I'm glad that I know what I know.
Speaker 3: One of the key aspects of this beautiful study series that you've created is we've talked about some of the themes today. We've talked about karma, there's manifestation, there's desire, there's all of these themes that exist, and one of the big ones that really stood out to me was forgiveness. Because you know, when I listened to you today and I even watched the studies that you created that I'm hoping our audience will go and watch and appreciate and learn from as well. You've conquered and continue to try to conquer some really difficult emotions, like really really difficult things. And I feel like forgiven for us in the world today is probably one of the hardest things for us. Whether we've been betrayed, whether we've been lied to, whether we've been exploited, whether we've been taken advantage of. And we always hear the age old phrase of forgiveness is for you, it's not for them. And you hear these things, but it's my wait who says that it's I mean, it's common like verbiage that exists in the world at least of this idea that you know, don't hold on to grudges.
Speaker 1: Well, you shouldn't, We shouldn't, and it is ultimately liberating for us to forgive. But obviously the world benefits from our empathy, our ability to forgive.
Speaker 3: Talk to us about that conditioning.
Speaker 1: I'm a fighter. You know, if somebody messes with me, they're going to get it.
Speaker 3: That's I've always been like that.
Speaker 1: Yes, but you know, when things happen to you and there's not a tangible enemy that you can like put your finger on, like what are you going to do? You absolutely into radical exceptions, but you know there's there are things, you know, there are things that have happened to me in my life that I just thought I will never I will never forgive this person. I will never Now, I just don't. I don't want to have those feelings anymore because they're really it's a prison, and it's poison to not be able to forgive and to live in a state of like holding a grudge or hating someone or wanting them to suffer. It's like a kind of poison. It's like a kind of cancer. And that's why it's important to find a way to forgive, even people that you perceive as your biggest enemies for a really long time. It was my brother who died recently, because I think the hardest ones are the people that you feel like you're the like, they're you're the closest to, they're your greatest ally, and they turn on you. The people that hurt you the most are the people that you love the most. And when life doesn't go the way that you expected it to go, that you suddenly that this pain is unbearable and that you think what's going to save you is to think vengeful thoughts or to never forgive, like that's going to give you some kind of power, magical power. It doesn't just weighs you down and eats away at you and is poisonous. So having to forgive my brother, knowing that I had to forgive my brother, it was you know, it's like your ego dances around it like yeah, yeah, yeah, I'll get to it. I'll get to calling him up or talking to him or being his friend or helping him. But eventually I did. And I know I'm being mysterious. If someone you love deeply betrays you and does something that shows that they have no consciousness in that moment that they made that choice to do that, it's really it's a bitter pill for me to swallow. I can't speak for everyone, but I imagine that lots of people feel this way. For my brother, I didn't speak to him for you know, for years, years and years, and it was him being ill and reaching out to me and saying I need your help, and me having that moment like am I going to help my enemy? You know?
Speaker 3: That's how it fell.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I just did, and I ended up and I felt so relieved, and it was such a load off my back, such a weight that was removed, baggage that I could put down to finally be able to be in a room with him and holding his hand even if he was dying, and saying I love you and I forgive you. That was really important. And that was another thing that I realized when I woke up in the hospital, forgiveness. That word came to my mind, like I have to forgive people because I was there, I was almost there on the other side, and I had a conscious moment and my mother appeared to me and she said, do you want to come with me? And I said no. My assistant was in the room with me, but I was still unconscious, but she heard me say no. And then when I did eventually wake up, I realized that the no was about me needing to forgive and make good with people that I still held grudges against. So and interestingly well, I wrote a song about him. I'm working on new music and I wrote a song called Fragile, which is about my brother. And then I wrote another song, and this is again just channeling. It's called forgive Yourself, but the repeating phrase the chorus of the song is if you can't forgive me, forgive your which is something we all have to do. We have to forgive others, but we also have to figure forgive ourselves and stop beating up on ourselves about things choices we've made in the past that haven't worked out for ourselves or other people. Taking responsibility again, we come back to that concept also, or that idea of being accountable and being responsible. Taking responsibility as a very big lesson that I learned studying Cabala is that I am responsible. I am responsible and every and I believe in personal accountability, personal karma, and I believe in global karma. Like a lot of the things that are happening in the world is as a result of our selfishness as people, as humans, as a society, we are responsible. You can't just sit in your room or your house or the safety of your home and go people are you know, they deserve it whatever to be aware and conscious that you're contributed in some way, shape or form. And at the same time, if we have collectively unconsciously evolved to a higher state of consciousness, we can change the world. But that also sounds like a cliche, but make the world a better place. Tip the balance, so to speak. But that's why I'm here, and that's why I'm talking to you, and that's why I made these This is why I documented my studies with my teacher, because I really believe that this wisdom can help other people in a very practical way, not in an esthetic way. And that's why I'm here.
Speaker 3: Thank you for sharing that and that journey you went on of forgiveness, because yeah, for you to be that honest and vulnerable and explain that that was someone that you felt was an enemy at that point, but the relief you felt from helping someone, I mean, that's like, you know, I'm thinking about the people that are listening and watching right now and the experience that they're having where they're really struggling to forgive themselves or forgive someone else, and looking at it from the point of view of what would that look like if you never got that opportunity. I know so many people who regret the last thing they said to their parents, or the last thing they said to a loved one, or whoever it may be, and it seems that vengeance and spite doesn't seem to heal the soul.
Speaker 1: Well, harsh words and harsh behavior is energy, and you can never take it back, but you can change your destiny, your karmic destiny, and one of those ways is to forgive others and forgive yourself.
Speaker 3: Oh No, You've been so gracious with your time, your energy, and vulnerability today. I feel like I've learned so much about you. I've very grateful to get and you said you repeated yourself, but I'd honestly say that I enjoyed that because it shows to me the good training is good repetition, And so if you have the same, if you have a similar mindset towards something, it's not in the material world.
Speaker 1: You only get good at something if you do it a lot.
Speaker 3: Yeah, in the material world we know that, but we often look at repeating as I have heard that before. I know that. But actually the thing we think we know the most is the thing we need to hear more often. And when I think about the detailed the vaders, you're the soul, not the body, is the most repeated lesson. It's the first lesson, but the most repeating. You're the soul, your consciousness, not the body. Yes, is repeated more than any other teaching, even though it's the most obvious, and it's the first teaching.
Speaker 1: Very obvious. But so look how attached we are psicicy.
Speaker 3: Exactly, so you need to repeat it. But I was thinking that this might be a perfect time because you've been referencing in this conversation. You've referenced your teachers so many times, and we're fortunate enough today to actually have the opportunity to invite him onto the show. And if you're open to it, I think this may be there would love shoure do it? Yeah, do it perfect a Don. I'm so grateful that we actually get to speak to you. Madonna's been talking about you the whole interview, and I want our audience to know. Of course, you were sitting in on our conversation as well, and so you have context of everything we talked about, and of course you have twenty nine years of context of everything Madonna shared with us over the last couple of hours. But thank you so much for doing this, and thank you for being here.
Speaker 4: Thank you for having the honor of being here and being part of really sharing these teachings.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Well, I was sharing with you earlier that my vision when I started my platform was to make wisdom go viral, especially ancient wisdom, and so this is truly my heart's work, and so thank you for the opportunity back. I want to dive in because we've heard about my daughter's journey and her journey to Kabbalah, but I would love to hear how you came to it, because I'm assuming everyone has their own spiritual journey of awakening or connecting, and I'm sure many of our listeners today are either on their spiritual journey want to start one, but I'd love to hear how did you come to this practice yourself.
Speaker 4: I started in a young age. I grew up in Israel in a non religious family, and from a young age I was asking questions about life. I think it came from the depth of my soul. It's beyond because someone taught me or anything. And when I was seventeen, my brother introduced me to Kabbala. I went to the Kabbala Center and I met my teacher for many years, the rough Berg, And after hearing one hour of a lesson of how the universe began and why are we here, it resonated in such a deep level. Literally I couldn't sleep for three nights and I felt I'm home. I felt I'm reconnecting to really my purpose, what life is about. And it took few years, and by the age of twenty one, I knew that's my mission in life. So basically, in the last forty years, that's what I'm doing all day long, student and a teacher. In the last forty years. That's beautiful. Like I was saying earlier, I felt like I came to my work when I was eighteen, and so I'm a couple of decades behind you in my journey, but that idea of discovering something earlier and it resonating so strongly with your heart and comming in your life to it. What was it like when you first met Madonna? What was that first interaction like?
Speaker 3: From your from your vantages, from your perspective, tell us about.
Speaker 4: I don't think she knows. But when Madonna's friend, which studied with me, called me and told me, I'm bringing Madonna to a class tonight forty people, so told her, you know, I never saw a picture of Madonna. I heard her name, so yeah, so don't worry, She'll sit in the back with me. So that's actually the first time.
Speaker 3: So you had no idea. You looked like no idea.
Speaker 4: I did have a clue those days.
Speaker 3: I was pretty NiFe you you were planned in.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I was totally innision and I didn't I heard the name Madonna, but didn't actually recognized.
Speaker 3: And then did you connect that evening? Was that well?
Speaker 4: That evening actually was said, Yeah, we sat in the conference room because we said it invents that will meet and Madonna was very suspicious of me.
Speaker 3: I can relate to that.
Speaker 4: What's the agenda here? What's happening. But listen, she had many students. But one of the amazing qualities of Madonna is perseverance, tenacities in the ups and downs. And trust me, I've experienced and seen a lot of ups and downs. But I always say, when you constantly nurturing your soul, your soul will guide you. Our soul is the part within us which knows all the all the answers that connected to the higher force twenty four to seven. It is our body, our logic, our ego, the layers in our hearts that's blocking us to see and to feel the truth. When you just agree with some spiritual concept and once in a while learning so wow, it's amazing.
Speaker 3: I love it.
Speaker 4: It's not enough. You need to nurture the soul that that light of the soul and that wisdom of the soul and that intuition that comes from the soul will channel back its energy to your life. Because the source of all protection and the source of all true joy come from the soul. So she has that an amazing and amazing attribute of tenacity and persecuting, not giving up no matter what.
Speaker 1: One of the reasons I liked going there is because it's like it was the only place where people didn't bother me about who I was. I literally sat in the back of a room with folding chairs. As I said, there was mostly men, and no one said a word to me, No one bothered me, no one said, oh my god, aren't you ma Donna? Can I have your autograph for like whatever? Like I just felt like I could be anonymous.
Speaker 3: There was that the first time you'd experienced that a new career that well.
Speaker 1: For a long time. Yeah, so with a large group of people and strangers. So I liked the anonymity of just being a student and going there and learning and it had nothing to do with my career or work or yeah, so that it was inviting. So I wanted to go back. And then I would always bring my notebook and take notes. And I have a zillion journals from all of my classes and studies. And I loved to be a student and learn, and I was learning so much, And I also was so what I loved so much about Kabal and studying Cabal, it was how in tune it was with science and quantum physics. And you know, it wasn't just just because you know what I mean, Like everything made sense to me, and I could see how you know, even the idea of you know, how the world was created, or the beginning of life, the idea of you know, Genesis, for instance, or the idea of Adam and Eve. I learned that nothing in life can be taken literally. You have to study the deeper meanings of everything. And that is true for a spiritual practice as well as science, as well as everything we do in life. You can't judge a book by its cover. You can't take things literally. And I was like, oh, Like, when I was growing up as a Catholic, I would always say to my father, well, why do we have to you know, why do we have to address this to church? Why does the you know, like you know, wear a hat, cavery your hat what like? There was no explanation for anything, and that really bugged me. So if you can't find a reason, if you can't explain something to me, I'm not interested. So he did explain things to me, and they all everything made sense. Nothing was silly. What we do study when we study Kabala is the we study the Zohar, and in within the Zohar is everything about life, about medicine, about science, about nature, about relationships, and that was really comforting to me to see. That's what helped me see life is not a series of random events.
Speaker 3: And you mentioned I mean as I'm listening to Madonna speak about this as well. You mentioned obviously you know this tradition is four thousand years old. How first book the difference?
Speaker 4: But it was before, it was before.
Speaker 3: Right, right ya? So it spread put into writing. Yeah, it was put into the technology books four thousand years ago. How did it come to be? Like, tell us a bit about the history of it so that we get some context of the tradition.
Speaker 4: Actually, the first book that was ever written in Kabbalah was three pages long. It's called the Book of Formation that was written by Love the Patriot, and it's reading in such a coded way and will not get any understand the secret of life and the wise ofe pages three pages. Yes, it's a lot of commentary, but yes, three pages. And then the main book of Kabbalah, after many kabalists teaching from one to another, was the Book of the Zoror or the Book of Splendor, that was revealed two thousand years ago. And the zor is actually decdified Torah codified the Bible and helping us to understand the Bible is not a book of stories or laws or religiosity or dogma. It's the secrets of life are hidden there, and the so haard the main book of which we have it today translated to English and to other languages. It's actually helping us to understand that everything in this world has a purpose and a reason. And if asking what really kabbale is about, Kabbala is about understanding the wise of life of the universe and why I'm here and what is my purpose? And why are we struggling? And what is the journey of our soul and where we came from? And if the Creator is such an infinite force of good and love out come, we all struggling either with pain, with doubts, with negativity, with selfishness. So that is the main book of Cabala, and of course was many Kabbalists throughout his story since then, that was we're able to bring Kabbalah down to us. And in nineteen seventy that's when the Cabbala Center started, which is opening the gates and the doors of Kabbala to all mankind.
Speaker 3: You're talking about the whys of life and that's the questions and the Sea King. Do you remember one of the first questions that Madonna enquired about our one of the first things that she was grappling with. What do you remember?
Speaker 4: I don't even remember, So I just I don't remember in what specific context.
Speaker 1: Also, I didn't study with him like this, Like I was just a student in the back of a class.
Speaker 3: It took a while got it.
Speaker 1: For us to like have one on one conversations.
Speaker 4: It took a year or two until we started, right to meet regularly once a week, right as well? Yeah, well so, but I think one of the one of the things that I remember speaking to Madonna, and this is a struggles that everybody have. So we get there's a higher power, call it God, call it the light, call it inself, endless energy of love, of giving, that is beyond time and space, and it's within us. Okay, So why does evil forget about outside even inside? Why do we have constantly destructive forces within each one of us? There's a constant chatter you wake up and gravity pulls you down. Why a lot of people study today how to overcome that negative force, But why there is a negative force within us? So one of the one of the basic understanding we're talking about it, it's as understanding that the greatest gift, the greatest gift the Creator gave us, is the opportunity to overcome the opponent within, because when you overcome, you become co creator. The reason why we do experience enough peace, enough light, enough fulfillment, It's very simple, Like trucks, like you want to experience the light, be like the light, be a being of sharing. But part of what the light is about, it's a creator. So the gift to overcome negativity within is the gift of being the creator. Imagine you were given everything. You're bond with talents, you're bonn with love, You're bone with just helping people all day long. That's your natural tendency. No negative force try to pull you down, no selfishness. Do you think you really will be able to actually experience and appreciate the force of the Creator, the force of love, the force of light, the force of true fulfillment. The answer is no. So while sometime we all upset, why I have this particular negative voice in my mind, and why do I have to struggle with abandonmenttissue? And why do I have to struggle with moments of sadness, at the moment you realize one second, this is the greatest gift to create. To give you doesn't mean you're right away or how to overcome it. Maybe we'll share some tools how to do it. But the fact that you accept the greatest gift in this world is the gift of overcoming. And it doesn't mean it has to be with suffering. Actually it doesn't mean. But the fact that you accept that opponent within you, it's actually was created by the light, by the universe, by the force of good to help us to grow. Imagine you bring spoke about soccer a little bit before. Imagine imagine you bring your kid to play soccer and you bring them in front of a goal and with the ball and say, now score. Will it be fun?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 4: In its an opponent in either goalie, he needs to overcome simpthing. Without overcoming anything, will never have a sense of true fulfillment. And we're not talking about overcoming the external challenges which is part of life, but recognizing the unique challenges each one of us needs to overcome. We call it karma, we call it cabalistically tikoun. Each one of us have own unique areas of transformation, and everything that life presenting to us is to present these opportunities of overcoming and as a result, allow my soul to shine, my gifts to shine, my true purpose to shine.
Speaker 3: That's beautiful. I love hearing that. It's it's so interesting to hear how that which we believe to be the obstacle is actually the path. And it reminds me of and I know, Madonna, you studied the Geeta as well. Origins dilemma in the first chapter. So origins a warrior. He's an archer, to be specific. And he's in the middle of a battlefield and on one side is his brothers, and on the other side is his cousins, so it's all family, the opposing side and his side. And he's on his chariot in the middle of the battlefield, and he's talking to God and God is serving him as his charioteer. And what he's expressing to God is his doubt, his anxiety, and his insecurity. And that's how it begins. It begins from a place of doubt, stress, fear, pressure, which is what engages him to ask the question. And it's so interesting that we often think that doubt and anxiety and the problem, but often they are the seed of where the question comes from and why we even look up or look around and question what's happening in our lives. And it's almost like doubt is the direction and anxiety is beautiful, right, Like there's that's it's It's similar as I'm.
Speaker 1: Something else to wake you up, whether you need some kind of pressure, whether you're standing in front of a goal or you're, you know, trying to win a war.
Speaker 3: Well, your pressure was becoming a mom.
Speaker 1: Yes, it's yes, it was, you know, and coming to terms with you know is also you know, is my life is my life as as in my careers, you know, as an entertainer is going to change? Is it kind of is going to be over? Like I said, I associate motherhood with death, so it's like, what's going to happen to me? Like I needed to be rooted somewhere and I needed to have certainty. But you can't have certainty unless you start with doubt.
Speaker 4: Exactly like she mentioned before. We Donna mentioned before that the greatest light hiding beyond the greatest perception of darkness. So if darkness manifests it as fear or the unknown doubt or the uncertainty or the doubt or the weakness. So one of the practices is actually ability to pause and allow yourself to feel it for a second, because there's a great light hidden there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, what did you help? What do you remember helping or what advice would you have given to Madonna at that time to help her connect the dots. I think the phrase that she's repeated a few times in this conversation of seeing motherhood as death is such a strong statement, but it makes so much sense from your experience when you connect the dots. How would you encourage How did you encourage her to reflect on that?
Speaker 4: So we didn't necessarily speak about that concept, but about other challenges and fears and perceived.
Speaker 1: Pain, abandonment. We talked about that a lot.
Speaker 4: Abandonment absolutely.
Speaker 1: I think, well, so you don't want to love or be in love or be attached, feel attachment because then you could get hurt. So that was a big issue for me, Like I'm good on my own, because a warrior surviving, like, don't with me, I don't need help, I don't need any help, Like I'm good, but then you need help and then it's hard, like to say it and say I I I'm doubting myself. I'm I'm I don't feel it like a warrior.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's yeah, it's it's it's argentous dilemma. He's the greatest archer of his time, yet his bow is slipping from his hands because he's like, I can't shoot an arrow and he's the best. And that feeling of I think we all have that, Like you so beautifully talked about Aytown, this idea that we've been given so many gifts, with so many talents, and I think a lot of our audience today in the world people have forgotten the gifts that they have, and then we often get into this feeling of low self esteem. You know, we don't feel worthy, we don't feel we have a purpose. And I feel like that's what the world is today. A lot of people who are listening and watching today probably feel like they don't have something to offer, or maybe they know kind of what they have to offer, but they don't feel confident enough. What would your teachings, in some of your guidance say to those kind of people who are sitting there thinking, I kind of you know, I don't have that confidence in myself I don't I don't really know what I'm going to do, and they're feeling stuck.
Speaker 4: Thing like Madonna mentioned, she felt weak, she didn't felt her personality of being a warrior. So there's a big difference between personality and soul strength.
Speaker 3: Talk to us about the difference. Yeah, what's the difference between personality.
Speaker 4: So Madonna always been a warrior, that's her personality that she grew, she did, that's part of her gifts. But it's not necessarily mean that she'll channel a warrior's attributes in a soulful way. But we identify with that. I'm a warrior. When i'm a warrior, I'm strong when i'm strong, I'm happy when i'm strong, I'm meaningful when i'm strong. I met her, and when suddenly you go through a situation that threatened that ability to be a warrior, to be strong, to be independent, suddenly you feel fear and emptiness. And what I would recommend, what I would share with Madonna, would recommend anybody, in order to find your strength, start with the challenges of today. It's not about finding my purpose in the future. And let's break it down to simple such a.
Speaker 3: Great points, such a great point it's brilliant.
Speaker 4: Simple four steps. How do I handle a challenge today?
Speaker 3: So step number one, I just want to before you driving the steps die is beautiful. I absolutely love that mindset. I think it's such a great hope everyone who's listening to watching right now. It's such great advice because we're so fixated on finding, discovering, looking for the answer at some point in the future, and it just keeps feeling postponed and further away. And I love what you're saying is that the challenge in front of you right now is the exactly It's beautiful.
Speaker 4: How do you connect to the light, with the energy, with your soul, with the blessing that available in this very moment?
Speaker 3: Good?
Speaker 4: Sorry, Yeah, And that will lead to other blessings that will open doors that will attract clarity. We face the challenge all of us. It can be challenge at work, it can be challenge at all. It can be just I start to compare myself to someone else and it triggers lack all of us. Doesn't matter how spiritual we are, and doesn't matter how successful are guilty, We'll have at least a hundred times a day lack will be triggered fear today even today.
Speaker 3: Yeah, absolutely.
Speaker 1: So the comparison game at least hundred times a day. I mean, that's the social media for really to make you feel bad about yourself unless you recognize that that is an illusion, that's not reality or doll an opportunity, right, an opportunity for me to not engage.
Speaker 4: Exactly and to actually find light in the moment.
Speaker 1: We just actually to conquer your fear in that moment, or to conquer your repetitive behavior of oh my god, I wish I had that. Oh my god, I wish I was that person. Oh my god, I wish that my life was like that person's life, Like if only I had dot dot dot. You know, it's like to stop yourself in that moment and conquer that moment, which is I'm good enough, I am everything that I need. I am I I I embody it. I just have to reveal it. But that's a that's a really hard one, I think, especially for women, you know, because we are a conditioned to like want to aspire to be this beautiful or this great of a mother or you know, this grade of a homemaker or this grade of a you know, it's a test every day to not judge yourself and to not like feel like you're lacking in some way, like you say, and when I say my prayers, part of my prayer is that I rise above my limitations and that I rise above my nature, and that I don't get sucked into the vortex of lack which can come in so many different forms and tune into you. Just you really have to be consciously like going like your head is a radio dial like going like like like, no, I'm not that's not me, you know what I mean. It's constant. It's a constant conversation you're having with yourself.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So true. So that's a really reliable problem.
Speaker 1: And it requires work, and it requires paying attention and being aware. And we also get caught up in wh We live in a world is distraction, right, so easy to get distracted. It doesn't mean you're not supposed to have fun, Like right now, I really want to have fun, but not that you're not fun.
Speaker 3: Oh we're not having fun. I think we're having fun.
Speaker 1: But yeah, it's just we live in a world of distraction, so it's so easy to get caught pulled off the track of you know what am I doing? What am I doing right now? What am I doing to myself? Like I'm I'm I'm already there. I got caught, you know what I mean by the seed of doubt and self judgment and comparing and I'm not good enough. Therefore I'm going to be in a bad mood. I'm going to shout at my child or you know what I mean. It's like takes so many different forms, and like the greatest thing in the world is to be able to stop yourself before that happens. But it does require constant vigilance.
Speaker 3: Yeah, absolutely amazing to hear you say that you still feel that way. Yeah, that's helpful and validating for all.
Speaker 4: Of that's part of the path of transformation.
Speaker 3: Sorry, back to the tool.
Speaker 4: Yes, so really because without what is lack is the illusion that there's no force of good, you're not protected, you're not loved, you alone, you're said, you're disconnected, and the practice to overcome that, not just in meditation throughout the day, which is very powerful. Step number one, as you face the challenge before you get as the reactive process of lack and negative thoughts, tell yourself say these words, pause, what an opportunity I don't know why. It's an opportunity, but I know every moment of flack it's a gift from the universe to help me to reveal greater light and a blessing in my life. Step number two, don't fix it yet. Embrace what is. Embrace the difficult feelings, because in order to find light in darkness, you need to be there with courage a little bit in darkness. We want to fix right away. We want to get rid of what bothers us. We want to get rid of the fear. We want to get rid of the insecurities. We can stand it. We don't like the discomfort, And how do we want to get rid of it? By being reactive, by blaming, by judging ourselves, by jumping after opportunity for insectifications, by being self destructive. Pause, Embrace It's okay, And part of the reason of study is developing trust. It's okay. Embrace first what is, and then go to the next level.
Speaker 3: And when you say embrace, do you mean to meet it positively? In that? To me as it is to allow it? Yeah, to allow it because it's in it.
Speaker 4: Allow it, not because I want to stay there. Because that's part of the process of revealing the great light of my soul.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it almost feels that. Often what happens is because we've tried to go to the light so much. Sorry, it often feels that because we've tried to go to the light so much, we don't know how to sit in the darkness. We want to go to the goods so quickly, we don't know how to sit in the bad.
Speaker 4: That's when you develop strength. And there's a concept cableist discomfort. Yeah, there's a concept cabalist call certainty beyond logic, explaining I'm trusting even though I don't feel it, and it doesn't make sense that actually I'm led towards anything positive, but I'm trusting beyond logic that this experience is for my best even if I'm guilty and feeling horrible about mistakes that I've done.
Speaker 3: It's okay.
Speaker 4: You're going to get to the part of learning the lesson. Don't fix it, don't erase it. Certainty beyond logic, so the part of embrace it, allow and then you're ready to the next step, which is telling yourself because our belief system tells us it's a moment of darkness, there's no light here, there's no good.
Speaker 3: Here, there's no there's no love here, there's no light here.
Speaker 4: So you need to tell yourself all the light that I need is within me. Now, just tell yourself doesn't make sense. Logic doesn't agree, the heart doesn't agree. But that's the job of this world to allow the thoughts, the stream of energy that come from the soul to influence gradually the mind and the heart and the body. And again and again again, tell yourself, all the light I need is within me in mouth, I'm certain beyond logic it's for my best. And then show me the way the light the universe. What's the when you feel less reactive? Because usually when we experience lack, we reactive. We want to get rid of the luck, we want to get rid of the fact. And that's what's caused, I think, what's caused evil behavior between people not knowing how to handle moments of luck. That's where it's art. So forget about others. Let's start with ourselves. And sometimes we'll fix the lack because someone will tell us, whow you're an amazing person and love you so much, and how we feel good? And I fixed it. I forgot about my lack. I forgot about my insecurity. Actually, I am amazing are you? By developing true muscles and skills to find the light within or you want to be attached to the external energy that will fix you will never work. And of course when you in that place, actions of giving, even if it doesn't make sense calling someone, adding value to someone, being kind to someone also help you to shift your energy towards the vibration of the soul, towards the vibration of the light. But we all need to go to this. Yeah, you know, some people would call it mental illness, but we all have that mental struggle. We all have that mental struggle in feelings and in our minds. So it's a it's actually it's a it's a daily perhaps transform, it's a daily practice and when you have the courage and you study enough depth that support the understanding that the light is never gone. Yeah, it's my perception I see the light. I don't see the light that is causing me to feel the light is disappear. And I'm small and I'm not enough, and I'm not capable and I'm not confident.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that really resonates very strongly because I feel like when you're first reading this new script, you don't believe it. And that's why, as you're saying, the regular study is almost like reading a script consistently, a new script because already reading the old script of I'm not good enough, I'm not capable enough, I belong whatever it may be. But the online that I really loved that resonated with me, which I want to ask you about, Madonna, is the trust beyond logic, because I think that's the phase that most of us give up because we are living in a logical, functional, material world where if a train's not coming, you would leave this station. But here the trust beyond logic is now, I'm still going to wait here, or I'm going to act in a certain way, or I'm going to change these behaviors. Madonna, when did you have to practice trust beyond logic in your life? The most where you I.
Speaker 1: Mean, every challenge I've ever had, once I became aware that I had the power to do that, And like making art, creation is there's nothing to do with being logical, doesn't have anything to do with the logical part of your brain. You can't measure it, you can't predict it, you can't control it. You have to allow it. So I would say that Challenger is like happening on a daily basis, Like even now, like I told you, you know, there's a pipe that bursts in the middle of my house and it's like creating havoc and all I was so excited to come to London, to be in my house in London, and everything's gone wrong, and I'm like, okay, So there has to be a reason for it. I can't just sit here and like be angry or upset, like there's a illogical wisdom to everything that's happening. If that's not being attached to material things, then that could be an option. If that's because all these things are broken, I need to spend more time doing something else it's more important, then that's you know what I mean. There's always a reason for something so and you can't logically figure it out. Like I wish that I could have seen ten years I had that my son was going to be my best friend. I was trying to make logical sense of everything, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: So.
Speaker 1: I wish that I knew then what I know now. So there's always Then there's big struggles in little struggles, like you can't logically explain things like especially like I always use art as a as an example, because I can tell you that ninety nine percent of the time when I'm writing lyrics or singing a melody, I'm not thinking about it logic. If I think it's gone or it doesn't come to me, I.
Speaker 3: Want to ask you a ton based on that. As Madonna said, she waited ten years to see that experience of you know, her son becoming her best friend. I think a lot of people wonder how is the reason revealed or received? How do we know? Because like you said, it's trust beyond logic, and logic is like if I do this, then this will happen. And this is like my pipe's a burst. If I call the guy, he'll come and fix it, right, Like, that's the kind of way our brain works when we're trusting beyond logic. It could take ten years to receive a reason, It could take twenty years. It could take fifty years to really have a revelation on something. How is it often revealed or received when it's not based on logic? So that makes sense, Yes, it makes sense.
Speaker 4: What you're asking. Number one is when things don't go your way, and of course, sometimes we need to do practical action to make things better and to fix things. But sometimes it's out of our control. Things don't go our way, like the situation with the experience of Madonna shared so certainty be on logic is that the struggle that I'm going through is for my best, but it doesn't allow me to be self destructive because if I want to speed up the process that I see the light at the end of the tunnel, I need to strengthen and we need friends, you need teachings, you need the right support to actually trust the universe loves you and it's for the good as difficult it is. But then you need to ask a second question when you're ready, when you're not as reactive, what's my lesson? Why is it in my movie? And sometimes the answer is simple. Every time we experience rejection, what is rejection? Things don't go our way? It purifies us because our mind and our heart it's so attached to happiness, is when this will happen, which is not necessarily the big picture happiness what really good for me? Yeah, So when you actually realize that actually that's a purification process and you open and you allow it to happen because all of us are not aligned with the true desire of the universe. If it would be aligned, we would be joyful every second and we will be giving unconditionally every second, and we'll think all day long, how can I add value to others? And because we are not there, and that's part of the gift of life gradual transformation. We need moments of rejection. But when you question, you said, where am I to attached? What's my lesson? What do I need to let go? That will support to speed up the process of seeing the light. Because every fruit in order to become sweet and ripe is first hour. There's a process. Actually, the bottomist would say that more sour the fruit in the process sweeter at the end. It's so easy to throw the sour fruit and to say it's a bad fruit. But if you're able to allow this process, and you need a lot of spiritual strength, because culture, society, our body, our mind is prone to react and to decide it's bad. That constant conversation in our mind, it's good, it's bad, I'm good, I'm bad. It's that reactive conversation we have within us that actually prolong in the process. So actually faster. We're embracing certainty, biologic fasting. We're asking questions because at the beginning you cannot ask because you're in pain, so you just try to at least trust and embrace and embrace and beg something and asking. But when you're ready to ask, well, what's my lessons? Because very often we are so touched. We spoke about forgiveness to what's wrong with them, and we forget that the true purpose of life is my own transformation and elevation. While I'm interacting with other people, So when the conversation is no longer about that good, that bad? How did they do it? And you bring it back to you, how can I elevate? How can I become better? How can I transform? Between me and my soul, between me and my perfected self? When you that's when you inject the energy, then things the light will be shown faster.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's the question. That's the accelerator that we want. We want the pain to go away quicker that question is, and sitting with that question exactly is the thing that actually speeds it up. What are you trying to work on right now, Madonna? That you're working on in your studies I know you get together regularly. People are going to be able to watch your studies as well that you do together. What's something that you're trying to work on right now that seems very fresh as a challenge, something to overcome.
Speaker 1: As you said, the lessons that I learn and study are more applicable to things that are challenging me on a regular basis, which would be you know, my children, They're always challenging me in one way or another. And that's a bit like such a big lesson for me to let go of expectations and stop trying to control the outcome and over worrying. And you know, I'm just like, some days I wake up on this, I'm just relieved that they're all okay, you know what I mean. And I always say to people when you're when you have that many kids, you're you're you're not really a parent, You're a manager, you know what I mean?
Speaker 3: Yeh.
Speaker 4: And by the way, she has amazing kids and spiritual kids, and because of her tremendous effort to infuse not just with the teachings, with their behavior consciousness. Sometimes you don't see it right away, but we see kid of the kids that actually they're coming around in the own unique way.
Speaker 1: So and also infuriating me what kind of things. I mean, I have to stop thinking that, you know, my way of doing things are my way of approaching life, or my way of being an artist is going to be somebody else's my kids way of doing it. Everybody has their own journey and it's taken me a long time to accept that.
Speaker 4: And to let go of control.
Speaker 3: M Why is that so hard as a parent, because I feel like so many parents would be able to relate to that right now where we subconsciously or consciously are projecting living through our children, wanting them to, you know.
Speaker 1: Well, either to be successful or in not like, not even in a not like. I want them to be rich and famous. I just want them to be happy. I want them to be authentic. I want them to not compare the themselves to other people, not worry about what people think of them, because they're my children. Like we're you know, fearing judgment, letting that go, helping them to see their own unique gifts. It's a constant battle because also you don't want to come off as somebody who's trying to control the situation all the time. Either my weekly studies with Aton, or my daily prayers or whatever are often about you know, I don't want my children to do specific things. I want them to realize what they were put on this earth to do. I want them to elevate to their highest level of consciousness and how can I help that? That's it. But it's still hard not to be bothered by things things.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think that's a very relatable challenge for parents. Yeah, it's a real one. It's And I guess when you ask that question, then what is the lesson in this applying a TONS process? What what do you often come up with?
Speaker 1: Trying to control all the outcomes in life is and not getting the outcome you wanted is what makes you suffer. So if that lesson keeps coming back to me, then I guess I haven't learned it yet. And children are a perfect teacher for that, because they're never going to do what you want them to do way that you want them to do it. You know, just get them from here to there without hurting themselves or anybody else, you know what I.
Speaker 3: Mean, because they too have to overcome exactly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know I did. I grew up with very little and that's so I have a huge desire, and then of course you give your children all the things you wanted to have, and then you realize that's killing their desire, and so you know, it's like it's just you're just constantly going, oh shit, oh shit, okay, I'm not okay, not just be counterintuitive. Just say nothing. That's that's a big one for me. Say nothing. But I'm getting good at it. I'm just really getting good at it.
Speaker 3: No. I appreciate you walkings through that though process because I think you've summed it up. That's exactly what we want to do. We want to take away someone's pain or the pain we thought they were going to have because of the pain we had, and then you provide something only to create a new pain and for them to never have the pain that you had, but have a completely different version of it. We do it for everyone we love. And I was going to ask you you like, what do you do when you don't like the answer? That question is so important, like what is the lesson I need to learn? But a lot of us subconsciously may not like the answer we gain. That's where we have to keep learning. Again, what happens when you don't like the truth that you're experiencing.
Speaker 4: So I think part of true spiritual transformation is craving truth. Is I want to know, really what's my lesson? Because what's the other option? More pain until I'm going to learn the lesson. So the reason why we're not listening to the voice that tell me let go of control? Or for kids, one of the biggest mistakes parents do is over giving to kids, which in Kubli scabilistic terminology we call it broad of shame. When you give to someone something without working, without earning, you're actually hurting them. And the parent might know I'm overgiving and it's not healthy for them, but I feel guilty to say no.
Speaker 1: And I'll be here if I say yes exactly.
Speaker 4: So here is the test guilty of saying no versus long term pain for the kid and for yourself. So actually pause and ask that question. That will help you to get closer to the truth and be less in denial and a fork short term long term saying yes just to fix the pain, to give them what they want, to let them play with the phone, or say no and it's difficult and they feel bad and the blaming you, but you're doing it from place of love, because yeah, because what's driving us true desire to share in a long term.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: If that's my true and that's the truth, Am I really coming from true desire to share for a long term share and not just temporary fix.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: And when I'm coming from that place only blessings, you're planting a seed of light, a seed of blessing, a seed of miracles. When you're coming from another place pretending to be good or nice or kind only because you cannot handle the temporary pain, you're planting a seed of chaos, which cares also as intelligent to teach you lessons but in a longer path.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I mean I can relate to that as a kid because I'm not a parent. But it was almost like during your team you just think everything your parents say is wrong. And then in my twenties I was like so grateful for the discipline and the rules and the you know, I was only allowed to play video games for like X amount of time or whatever it was, and all of a sudden, everything my parents did, I was like, oh, wow, there was actually a lot of good in it. But during my teenage years that you know, I obviously didn't agree with anything they said, and there's such a reality to that feeling of the long term point that you're making. The long term you realize, Oh, yeah, I'm glad you actually didn't just let me eat rubbish, or I'm really glad you didn't just let me waste hours playing video games. I'm really glad that you didn't do X, Y Z or whatever it may be. And so it's hard though, because the parent or the person. This could be romance, it could be in any relationship. You've got to be unpopular in the moment. You have to put us at your ego and you have to.
Speaker 4: Go through that disconference.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, which applies at work, it applies everywhere anything.
Speaker 4: Yeah, especially in the culture today when everything can be so instant app and ordering food and getting what you want and watching any program and in your phone. So that instant culture preventing a child or an individual to go through a real process of going through this comfort or earning the light as we're going saying caballistically, and people don't understand they can be bright, how come I'm depressed? Depression very often it's a consequence of instant gratification, not willing to go through difficult process.
Speaker 3: So hard, so hard. We don't want to go through the difficult process, and we don't want anyone we love to go through a difficult process. Although that is that is the any process that's going to benefit.
Speaker 1: Us, well, well we're going to anyway, so.
Speaker 3: Absolutely. I have one last question to ask both of you. What is your soul's purpose? Why do you think you're here? And what personally was the becoming or the overcoming that you went through to really receive that soul's purpose that you're living by. What was it that birth that idea within you.
Speaker 1: My soul's purpose is to reveal light in the world through whatever I do, whatever that's being a parent or being an artist, being a friend, being a leader. Yeah, we are here to receive for the sake of sharing. So I have a huge desire. I have many desires. This is not a relief system or philosophy that's about no offense, being a monk and going up in the mountains and meditating for hours. I want it all, but I want it for the sake of sharing, not to keep it for myself. Hey wants more followers on Instagram.
Speaker 4: The personal relationship between me and the light between me and the Creator. I know that I don't anything less than connecting while I'm in this physical world to the soul that was given to me. And it means total transformation, total desire to receive for the sake of sharing, certainty beyond logic until it becomes second agor that's at a personal level. But one of the ways to giv it is to connect with our purpose of sharing. So I know in my gut, in my soul, and it was beyond knowing, it was beyond logic, that that's what I came to do in this world, which is to spread to be a teacher for the teachings of Cabbalah while I'm studying. One of them is about being too perfectionist spiritually, you know, taking spiritual lesson to an imbalanced place. Something is wrong with me. So and I know as long as we're in this world and if we're truly not settling for lesson, that's a message for everybody. I want to say, never settle for less wherever you are. This is just the beginning comparing to your next level potential. So those challenges were necessary to help me to evolve to where I'm at today. And of course this is just the beginning.
Speaker 3: What's that? Thank you so much for your time and energy. Again, learn so much from both of you today, and I really can't wait for people to watch the studies. I hope that it gives spiritual seekers a opportunity to ask better questions, deeper questions, and begins their quest for overcoming and becoming whatever their soul's purpose truly is. And I'm so grateful that you're both living yours truly and I'm really again thankful for the opportunity to have learned so much from both of you today. Thank you so much, oh honor, thank you too much.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 3: If this is the year that you're trying to get creative, you're trying to build more, I need you to listen to this episode with Rick Rubin on how to break into your most creative self, how to use unconventional methods that lead to success, and the secret to genuinely loving what you do. If you're trying to find your passion and your lane, Rick Rubin's episode is the one for you.
Speaker 2: Just because I like it, that doesn't give it any value, Like as an artist, if you like it, that's all of the value. That's the success comes when you say I like this and not for other people to see it,