Speaker 1: Wow. Wow, Hey everybody, It's Wednesday, March sixth, twenty twenty four. Welcome to the NFL Fantasy Football Podcast, where we didn't write an open for this show today anyway, Well keep going. It's me and your man, MG Marcus Grant, joined by Michael f. Florio and La Kwan Jones. Ear, gentlemen, you guys are actually face to face in studio. I'm feeling sort of left out, like I have other obligations in the morning that prevented me from being there when you guys are. But how is it being back in the building at the moment?
Speaker 2: Uh, this is my first time being in in a few weeks, so I kind of walked in and I was like, I hope everything's the same, And luckily.
Speaker 3: It's all pretty much the same, pretty much the same, just familiar faces like Yo, hey, what's up man?
Speaker 1: And catch it up? You're there, Lakwan, you're there more frequently than me and Mike are this season.
Speaker 3: Yeah, definitely, you.
Speaker 1: Have actual like in building duty. We just kind of show up when we feel like it, or you know, we're summoned by summoned by higher powers to be there. That's kind of the only time this time of year that we actually show up. Anyway, we got a lot to talk about. Free agency starts in about a week. Officially, the new league year starts one week from today. That is when free agency deals can officially be signed. Of course, we will have the negotiating period because the league doesn't like the word tampering, So we've got the negotiating period on Monday and Tuesday. Deals can officially be signed on Wednesday. So we'll talk about some of the big names that we think could be moving, some names that we already know aren't going anywhere. At this point, Weilsell sort to do a quick combine wrap up just some of the things we saw in our observations from what happened over the weekend in Indianapolis. But I want to start with the biggest news of the last couple of days. I was gonna say of the day, but this actually happened on Monday. But we haven't been here to talk to you since then. So the Broncos have told Russell Wilson that he will be released. It was a tumultuous two years in the Mile High City for dangerous I will stay for the record, I actually thought it was gonna work out. I was very surprised to see how badly it went for Russell, Wilson and Abron. Look, I know there's a lot of people out there with like Revision's history who are, yeah, this is never gonna work. Russ was always washed, And I'm like, I don't know that that was the consensus. It was not at all, no, right, I mean, I think the belief was he'd go to Denver again. Yes, he was not the same guy at the end of his time in Seattle that he was, you know when they went to the super Bowl and they won the Super Bowl. But I think most of us believed that there was still something left in the tank. Now that that question is sort of up in the air, I was gonna ask a different question, but Flourida, I mean, does Russ still have anything left at this point?
Speaker 2: For first, anyone who is saying that they were adamantly against this when it happened, I need to see proof. Because everyone was on board with this. Remember it was like, oh, it's Mahomes and the Chiefs gonna be able to win the division again. That was a wave and everyone was discounting the bad year in Seattle because of the broken hand which Aaron Rodgers last year in Green Bay comes to mind. Ken Russell Wilson still play. I still think he's a starter at the NFL level. I'm not sure if he's an above average starter, though at this point I'm not in the camp of saying Russell Wilson was horrible last year, but I'm also not in the camp of that he was great. I think he was kind of somewhere in the middle. I think some stats indicate that he played well, but then there's like EPA. These are the quarterbacks that he had a better EPA than last year midimum two hundred attempts, Bryce Young, Sam Hall, Zach Wilson, both Patriots quarterbacks, Josh Jobs, and Kenny Pickett. That's it.
Speaker 1: So that's not good.
Speaker 2: He still does have the deep ball, I'll give him that. I think he can be a type of game managing quarterback that like you could win with if you have good pieces around. I no longer think Russell Wilson is the guy that can lift your team and carry you to the playoffs or anything like that.
Speaker 1: I mean to that point though, about the deep ball, and I sawing with Dwayne McFarlane over at Fantasy Life, who is incredibly smart and makes me better at this job every time I talk to him, and he brought up the point that teams nowadays, the way the NFL plays defense, we see a lot more you know, too high safeties. I mean, that was the talk about Patrick Mahomes. Have people figured out Patrick Mahomes. They're putting two guys back deep. They're not letting him throw the deep ball that is becoming the norm among NFL defenses. So now that takes away that big deep ball that we all love from Russ right, those moonshots he would take down the field, So that takes a big part of his game away. He also is not the same runner that he was earlier in his career, which you know that happens right father time comes for us all. He doesn't run the way he did earlier in his career. Those were the two things that I think made Russell Wilson special. When those aren't available to him anymore, it is naturally going to be a struggle for him to be a productive quarterback. I put out a poll on Twitter, which you know, this is super scientific, so this is binding and we know that this is going to be But about thirty five percent of the people who responded said that they don't think he's going to be a starting quarterback next year. Dikes, I mean, Lukwon, do you I know Florio said he thinks he'll be a starter. I do think he's going to be a starter somewhere. Do you believe he's going to be a starter? And where possibly could that be?
Speaker 3: I mean yes, I mean do we know right now? Like are we knowing what the Steelers are dealing with in the house right now? Like there's plenty of teams that would love to have Russell Wilson as an upgrade so they can have something to build off. I mean, honestly, DeLanda, spots I got for him would be Atlanta because that would be obviously funny for non football purposes.
Speaker 1: But but just put out what the non football purposes are, Like you've teased it. You can't throw that conversation grenade and walk away. Just put it out there.
Speaker 3: Well, Sierra Baby Daddy Future is an Atlanta native, So going there, I'm pretty sure there's some type of tension and he'll being close proximity of hearing his music in the locker room, which I think will call some friction and some mental games, so he's not going.
Speaker 2: To allow it.
Speaker 1: Allow Russ. Russ is a rules guy. First day of camp, no future. I just want to see future in the stands, like wearing the colors of every other team that plays the found just sitting there just you know, wearing Saints colors and stuff.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, mental warfare during the game. But man, I feel like if you put him with the Steelers, man, I think that will fit his mold because you have Author Smith over there so oc so we know they're not going to be throwing the ball as aggressively then you know they've done in the past. So you talk about Russell Wilson as a game manager. Now, he doesn't have the tools to run the ball. He doesn't have that deep ball as much as he had before. You need a guy that's going to come in and take care of the ball, and that's one of the things that he did last season. He had the fifth best touchdown in interception ratio. I mean, you want a guy that's going to go out there and not turn the ball over a bunch of times. But when you're looking at the Zach Wilson's, the Kenny Picketts, the mac Joneses of the world, the Desmond Riders of the world, and you know, you're looking at the Vikings that need a you know, a replacement of the Kirk Cousins return from injury. There's a lot of options where Russell Wilson going to be a nice plug and play to elevate some of the players that need some development, elevate some of the veterans there that you know, on the back in their career. So I think he could still be a starter man because again, the word we should be using for him is decent. Last year, he wasn't terrible, he wasn't great, He was decent. He was a serviceable quarterback and that's hard to find right now for some teams that are struggling to find a quarterback.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean I like that you said game manager because I think that's sort of what he is now. Where once upon a time he was he was the playmaker right when when the Seahawks were great. Look, Russ was the guy who kept the line moving. I mean, look, it definitely helped that they had Marshawn Lynch, they had some really good receivers, but there were so many times and I look, I can tell you this is a forty nine er fan. I'm sure you can say it. As a Rams fan, there were so many times you just sat and watched and you were cursing at the television because Russ somehow got out of a pass rush and you know, either scrambled for a first down or he found somebody downfield, made a play and kept the chains. Movie. I mean, everybody in the in the NFC West probably has a similar story during Russell Wilson times. Those times are gone, and and to your point, I think the most common response that I got when I put the question out there was Steelers, probably followed by Falcons. The Raiders were another team that that sort of came up. Raiders were one I could see a lot too. Yeah, Russ could still lead, like he could still lead a locker room, I believe. Uh.
Speaker 2: I do think russeans to change his style of play though, like he's still holding the ball for far too long. Absolutely, I agree, and like, look, most fans are gonna look at the amount of sacks he takes and blame the offensive line. It's like no, no, no. This has been a Russell Wilson problem going all the way back to his early Seattle days. Like he holds it too long, he thinks he can avoid the pressure. He needs to learn how to get the ball out of his hands quickly and be that game managing style, because I think if he could play how he did last year with cleaning that up, because everyone loves to point out like, oh, when a quarterback throws an interception, but a sack could be a drive killing play just as much as an interception.
Speaker 3: So range, Yeah, yeah, a lot.
Speaker 2: There's a lot that it can do. So Russe needs to clean up some stuff as well. But I think if he can do that, he could still, like you put him on the Steelers. They're they're probably be in contention for the seven.
Speaker 1: Seed again this year. Goals Man hashtags low. Yeah, I mean, I think to your point though too. Also, it is easy to, you know, point out sacks as an offensive line issue when it oftentimes can be a quarterback issue. It can be a problem with a guy holding the ball too long, not getting it out quickly. Yeah, there's there's only so long you can ask guys to offer protection, especially against good pass rushes, especially when teams are bringing a whole lot of potential. So I do think that's sort of something to kind of keep in mind, I'm sitting here on philibusterings, I'm trying to look up, you know, longest time to throw the football, and I would guess that rust is probably high on that list. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean Denver's old line was pretty good last year in my opinion. They were a top six top five you know line last year in protection grade. As for PFF, so those sacks that he was taking is on him really have just him not.
Speaker 2: Getting the side of it. Is like Patrick Mahomes and Josh Allen are not the sacks the two least sex quarterbacks in the NFL because of their O line. Like the quarter sacks are just as much a quarterback said.
Speaker 3: As it is an off decision making and how long you're holding onto the ball. It was a huge thing there.
Speaker 1: So minimum hundred and fifty drop backs, Russell Wilson had the third highest time to throw. Uh. The only guys who held the ball longer on average Nick Mullens and Justin Fields Okay, the mobile Yeah right, I mean like fields your finger like he's gonna get himself out of trouble. Russ used to be able to do that. Can't do that anymore.
Speaker 2: And I really want to know what Nick Mullens, what goes through Nick mullens head.
Speaker 1: I mean, right now, Nick Mullens is just like it is probably like you know, a second and a half of just loud screaming and they're like, I gotta get rid of the ball. I don't do it. Four fifth read back to the town. Yeah, So like that that because there are things that Nick Bullins would do it. I'm like, what what were you thinking? Were you thinking at all? Like making that really what's going on here? That that was a lot of what happened there. But now for the Broncos, right because they don't have Russell Wilson anymore right now. I mean, if you know, quote unquote, if the season started today, Jared Stidham would be their their starting quarterback. Florio, I don't believe Sean Payton wants to go into the season with Jared Stidham at his starting quarterback. But what do they do? I mean, do they go harden free agency? Do they try and move up and try to get one of these guys in the draft? What is the best course of action?
Speaker 2: The draft? I think is one hundred percent their best course of action. And I'm so excited for the draft now, because we know the top three picks are all in play to be quarterbacks, but the Giants are heavily rumored to be in play for a quarterback, and the Falcons depending on what happens with Kirk Cousins. But if Kirk Cousins goes to Atlanta, then eleven, twelve, thirteen becomes the most interesting portion of the draft. I would say, because you have the Vikings, the Broncos, and the Raiders, you can make a case that all three of them could be in the market for a quarterback. So do one of these teams try to jump the others and move into the top ten. Do we see a trade up something like that? But unless the Broncos are gonna be really aggressive, they're not gonna get Kleb, Jayden Daniels, probably not, Drake May even JJ McCarthy might be out of their range unless they're gonna jump up.
Speaker 3: Sounding like it, now, you got to jump up a few picks to get that.
Speaker 2: That's what it sounds. I think Bo Knicks is the guy. I could see Sean Payton being like a veteran guy coming out of college who would get the ball out of his hands very quickly. Has a strong arm, could kind of operate the offense how we're saying rush should like you take some deep shots occasionally, but a lot of it is just on rhythm, like on schedule, getting the ball out of your hands quickly. Bow Knicks could kind of do that. And and if he's sorry, if we're not talking about bo Knicks potentially to the Broncos. I think it's very, very very possible we could see six quarterbacks in the first round.
Speaker 1: I like it, so I'm I'm pulling up mock drafts right now on NFL dot Com and looking. Lances aer Line has the Broncos trading up to number nine, trading with the Bears getting up to number nine and taking JJ McCarthy at that spot there. I'm curious if McCarthy's there, just because all the hype about him in the last week, especially post Combine. You know, I've seen people talk about him as number one. I saw somebody put up put out there that JJ McCarthy is their number one quarterback, ahead of Caleb, ahead of Drake May, ahead of Jayden Daniels. That to me feels, yeah, a little a little wicked aggressive. I try to find the right word aggressive. Is the word I'm gonna land on right here.
Speaker 2: I didn't.
Speaker 1: I just don't really see that being the case with McCarthy. But nine, I think that's in play.
Speaker 3: It's in playing because the Broncos are at twelve, I mean, how aggressive, Like they honestly really don't have draft picks, to be honest, Like they don't have like the ample amount of quantity of draft picks. But they they have two wide receivers they've been trying to move, you know, for some time now. So the Bears could use another wide receiver if they don't go at nine, taking Roma Doonzay. So you get a Courtland Sun or Jerry Judy, you take your pick. But the Bears need weapons, They need guys on the perimeter. They need wide receivers bad And I think you can get a guy, you know, like Gordon Sun and Jerry Judy if you let the Broncos move up from twelve to nine. So that can only be the way, honestly, for them to do anything aggressive because they really don't have draft picks to share that people are interested in.
Speaker 1: For what it's worth. Bucky Brooks in his most recent mock draft, which granted was a little over a week ago. He's got the Broncos taking McCarthy at twelve. Charles Davis has been taking bow knicks at twelve. So at least it seems like most people believe they are going to go get a quarterback in the draft, which, yeah, look, it sort of makes sense, right, It doesn't really make sense to go out and pay for a quarterback that is going to be a bridge guy when right now you're still a little ways away. I'm right. I mean, like the the the raigning Super Bowl champs, the two time raigning Super Bowl champs are in your division. The Chargers have a new head coach to go along with their franchise quarterback. The Raiders. I'm not really sure, but the point being they're doing Broncos, they're doing things. If you're the Broncos, I think the point is you do have a couple of years to play with to try and build the program, So why not get yourself a rookie quarterback on that that rookie deal and try to build from there. As of this moment, as we sit here on March sixth, recording this thing in the morning, are there any Broncos that any of you guys are interested in in fantasy.
Speaker 3: You go first, because no, no, nope, I evans No.
Speaker 2: Look, we were talking before the show, me and the Kwan. I said, Jerry Judy's career ended the Steve Smith night. At least his Bronco career ended the night that Steve Smith eviscerated him on. As Sutton is, he's a good wide receiver, but we don't know where he's gonna end up playing as of right now, which makes it very risky. Actually, Marvin Mims, especially since this time of year, if we drive season, I would take a shot on Marvin Mims. I took him in our mock draft. But like even Javonte Williams, I'm good on. Like I think Javonte just gets over hyped at this point by the fantasy community. I was a Javonte guy coming out.
Speaker 1: Of college, but such a Javonte guy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, We're multiple years into his career and he has proven that he's just an RB two and I kind of think that's what he is.
Speaker 1: He got the chance. I'm still I'm not I'm not letting go. And the fact that the fact is, the fact is that the draft price is going to be decent on him. He's not gonna have to pay up to get Javonte Williams. No, you know, I just I just need for Ryan to calm down a little bit. Does look like it's gonna happen, because I literally was just looking at their numbers. Man, they literally split the entire targets, you know, out of the backfield. So there's not much PPR upside. We could chase with the reason for Javonte Williams, but like you said, his price is going to be decent to where I can get him as my RB three.
Speaker 3: Maybe things will change, maybe things will go more where he'll take a workload because he was returning back from injury as well, so they kind of probably slowed down the space and I think, you know more so he wasn't fully recovered, so that could have been why SOMEMANJ. P. Ryan played so much. I mean their targets. Williams had fifty eight, Pan had fifty six. Like pick a running back you want to target to. But we know Sean Payton likes throwing to his running backs because his time in New Orleans.
Speaker 2: So no team did it more last year than Denver, which is why, like when we talk for agents, I have a certain running back that I want to go there. But uh my thing is like, if Davontae can't shake Samaj p Ryan, it probably says some stuff about Javonte Williams.
Speaker 1: Come on, I mean that's kind of harsh.
Speaker 4: I mean, I just la la la la la la, Like I don't but I just know that I remember I had a sad when the Broncos drafted him because they had Melvin Gordon and so that that made me sort of sad.
Speaker 1: And you know, Adam Rank tried to kind of talk me down off the ledge and kind of got me to buy in a little bit. Then, as you mentioned, Lakwani did have the major injury. So I'm not I think I'm realizing that he's not going to be the back that I hoped he would be coming out of college. But I still want more for him. I still believe there's more there. But but at some point it's got a show. I mean, he's going to be twenty four coming up in in about six weeks or so, you know, he will be on his fourth season in the NFL, So at some point, like you know, it's got to happen.
Speaker 3: For why does this sound like Royce Freeman.
Speaker 1: I was never in, but I was never in on those guys the way I was in on Javonte Williams. So maybe this is just not maybe not wanting to let go of my priors. I get admit to that, but I still hope for better.
Speaker 2: Last point on Rusto and Marcus. As a baseball guy, you can you can attest to this, like any team that signs Russ, the Broncos are paying whatever. Yeah, so I've seen people be like, oh, well, the NFL is not gonna They're not like that. They don't want to let the Broncos be caught holding the bag because one day it could be them. If I'm Russell Wilson, I'm going to baseball route and I'm signing for the veteran minimum with my new team, and I'm saying I'm getting paid either way, use that money to build around me.
Speaker 1: And I think that's going to make Russ very attractive for a lot of teams, knowing that you don't have to pay him a whole lot. I think Lindsay Rhodes, formerly of NFL Network, was the first two point out that the Broncos moved on from Russ. They're not even they haven't gotten into the actual contract yet, Like they haven't had a money contract yet and they've already moved on from Russ. That's how bad things were. So yeah, no, I think any team's gonna at least kick the tires because the cost is going to be it's going to be really low.
Speaker 2: I'd pay him a dollars and be like, Broncos, you got the other thirty eight, We're gonna spend that.
Speaker 1: On Team bet Let's do it. Let's go run it for real. So anyway, that's that was the big news of the day. We'll certainly keep an eye out on where Russ land. That's going to be very interesting and seeing what the Broncos decide to do in the next few weeks to a couple months at the quarterback position. There take a break, we're going to dive into free agency because a week from now we're gonna have a whole lot of names changing teams. We're gonna have some names that aren't changing teams as well. We'll talk about that more on the NFL Fantasy Football Podcast. So about a week from now, we will be talking about player movement. In fact, we'll actually be talking about it probably on Monday and Tuesday, because that's when the negotiating period happens, and that's when we'll start getting all these reports of so and so agreeing to such and such deal with this and that team. But on Wednesday, March thirteenth is when these deals can officially be signed as the start of the new year. Some news that we already know about that it's sort of worth kicking around. Mike Evans and the Bucks. They keep their deal going two years, fifty two million dollars for Mike Evans.
Speaker 3: Hall of Famer.
Speaker 1: I think he is they I mean I saw it. I mean I saw someone out there, you know, making that, you know, asking the question, and I think kind of playing Devil's advocate, But I think, you know, what, is it? Ten one thousand yard seasons to start his career. That's Hall of Fame worthy. That's all the fame work stands to me as far as I'm concerned. And last year maybe arguably being his the best year of his career. Maybe not statistically, but in terms of just overall play might have been the best year of his career. The Colts are going to use the non exclusive franchise tag on Michael Pittman Juniors so he does have the opportunity to go out and negotiate deals with other teams, but the Colts will have the first round of refusal, a chance to match and keep him in Indianapolis. That went not a big surprise. I felt like his best shot was to go back to Indianapolis. And I think the Colts agree, Especially you got a young quarterback in Anthony Richardson that you want to value.
Speaker 3: They're gonna let him negotiate to see what number comes back, what it is. They don't really have an actual value in their head for him. I mean I didn't either when I went to go look at his numbers and compare another wide receivers. I guess you can give him a Christian Kirk type ordeal like Kirk personally. Yeah, I mean, like I don't know, like it's a mystery here it is.
Speaker 1: But I think, and I think if you're the Colts, I don't know that you compare him necessarily to other receivers statistically. I think the value is what he means to your team, specifically what you're building right now. But you're building what he's given you the first couple of years, in the first few years in the league, and the fact that, as I mentioned, they've got a young quarterback that they are sort of trying to build around. You want to know that he's got a regular, consistent play making target to get the football too. So I think that that, more than anything, gives him some value to Indianapolis. And so I think, but I think you're right. They're gonna let him go out sort of test the market, see what sort of numbers, come back to see how the rest of the league values Michael Pittman, and then they can make a deal accordingly and ideal if you're indian it is a multi year deal. It's not just a one year thing. You're bringing it back for a few years. You got to be a four year banger, you would think so, you would think so. Last bit of free agency news, the Giants say they will not use the franchise tag on Saquon Barkley. There was a little bit of chatter last week and maybe they could do it again, but it appears that they will not do that. So Saquon is going to be a free agent. You know, there, I'm sure will be suitors.
Speaker 2: I know.
Speaker 1: You know, running backs don't necessarily get paid the way they used to but I would think a guy like Saquon, especially considering the draft class, is not all that exciting to a lot of people. Uhquon is certainly gonna have offers when he hits free agency. Why to get back though, to wide receivers because it's interesting in terms of who's available in free agency. It's interesting in who's going to be available via the draft because they've been the talk of the draft season so far the wide receiver position. The top guys on the board after Mike Evans and Michael Pittman have ostensibly been locked up. Calvin Ridley, Markus Brown, Gabe Davis, Tyler Boyd. Those are the top names as far as I was concerned for you guys. And I'll start with you, Florio. Who is your top wide receiver available and do you have a preferred landing spot for them?
Speaker 2: Calvin Ridley is I would say, head and shoulders the best wide receiver in this class. And if you guys listen to the podcast at all last year, it's no surprise. I'm I am a Calvin Ridley believer. I know he disappointed last year, but shout out to a good friend of yours, Marcus in front of the show Matt Harmon. I was reading Reception Perception yesterday on Calvin Ridley, and it pointed out a lot of really good things that like, he can still get opened against zone, he could still get open against man. He did struggle against press, but the type of routes that they were asking him to run were very, very difficult. And anyone who had Calvin Ridley in fantasy last year can attest to how it was. Basically, and I joked about it on Twitter. Every week, every single game was a game of is Calvin Ridley going to make an amazing touchdown catcher not? Because that seemingly what he had to try to do each and every week. I still think, look, I'm not gonna I think the expectations last year were a little too lofty, and that's on me and other people who put him very high expectations on him.
Speaker 1: But yeah, let's be real. But let's let's also be real, right because part of it was he had that that article he wrote in the Player's Tribune where he was like fourteen hundred yards. We were all like, yep, let's go yep. He definitely sold this.
Speaker 2: I bought in this one might be a little bit of a surprise. My favorite life spot Arizona Cardinals, because I think they're going to take either Neighbors or Marvin Harrison at four and then we're talking about Calvin Ridley not having to be that X and getting to do what he did in Atlanta, which is play some in the X, some in the flanker, move him all over the field, and Marvin Harrison Neighbors they could do the same thing. So now and then we're talking about a one two punch for Kyler Murray to go with Trey McBride. That Cardinals offense could immediately become one of the most fun for real life purposes and for fantasy purposes. There's there's a few other landing spots I like, but that was one that I was thinking on last night and I was like, I think this would be the most.
Speaker 1: Fun interesting for Calvin Ridley. And I don't know that I don't know. He's the guy that I love most in free agency. I think he's the guy that's probably gonna get the biggest contract out there of all these guys. But I did think the Jets could be an interesting spot for him. Yeah, pair him up with Garrett Wilson, because we know Garrett Wilson is a stud, right, I mean we saw we saw what Garrett Wilson did last year with bad quarterback play, and now the hope is Aaron Rodgers is something close to healthy. Yes, he's going to be forty years old, but a forty year old Aaron Rodgers is still better than anybody else. The Jets ran out there quarterback last year. You give him a running mate on the other side, like Calvin Ridley with Breisee Hall in the backfield. You know, I know you don't like to think about this Flooryo. That offense is really scary, always guys running together. Potentially, I think that'd be great, and it takes the pressure off of him to have to be that number one guy to carry that offense, because you know, when it comes to it, Garrett Wilson can be that guy. Galvin Ridley has a solid number. We saw when he was the number two with Julio Jones early in his career in Atlanta. You make him the number two guy with Garrett Wilson, that's potentially deadly. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I actually haven't heard that though. With the Jets. I'm actually starting to think of my mind like that could really work, they can kill it in the draft and then bring on a guy that can this offensive spark. I like it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, uh ELQ, was there a name that of these wide receivers that you like the most and a landing spot you got?
Speaker 3: I was gonna say Calvin Ridley. He probably has my most attention right now, but I can see people not really wanting to target him regardless of where he lands. Just some people just have a bad taste in their mouth because like we can talk about like the hype was crazy because in me as a as an owner that Adam last year man, like I would say, like I was a little upset that on the return, but you kind of had to accept it in a way because it was just like he was still the unknown, Like we were just hyped off of the unknown. This guy haven't played football in so long, so you know you kind of have to take that to the chin. Because his hives were really good and when he put up twenty points, but then the following week it'll be six points, and then following that week it'll be a single digit number of like one. So I get the people's frustration, and I think the landing spot for him will matter the most for him not to be the number one or a clear notion as a number one, because Christian Kirk was the number one in Jacksonville, to be honest.
Speaker 2: And he was the number one in volume mea in responsibility, I would argue its Calvin Ridley definitely.
Speaker 3: So it was just kind of like there was still some unknown there who's doing what and who was who? So if he goes there with a big number one, and he goes there like maybe Tennessee like with Man please please.
Speaker 1: He might as well just I don't know, go out's pasture, like just no, it's a new regime. It's a new who's throwing the ball though, Like I mean, that's the problem.
Speaker 2: Who's throwing the.
Speaker 1: Ball into Man Levis who's throwing the ball intennes c right now? Like I said, man.
Speaker 2: As the Calvin Ridley guy, I will I think, yes, we put two lofty expectations on him, and he's the one taking the bulk of the blame. But Fevor Lawrence was supposed to to be this franchise quarterback and he did not take the next steps that we thought. Plus uh, and this is this is something that I talked about in season a bit and I think I did a bad job of having two hive expectations early on. But he was better the second half of the year than he was the first half of the year. And I think we'd all kind of expected Calvin Ridley to hit the ground running, and it's like, hey, you can only prepare so much for live reps and stuff like that, and two years out of the league is gonna take some time to get back into that shape. So I think with a normal offseason, maybe next season could be even better than this year was.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that's fair.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it'd be cheaper for me.
Speaker 1: And I feel like, you know, we are obligated to do this as a fantasy football show. But the Marquis Brown of the Chiefs, because we got we got we have to we have to promote somebody to the Chiefs, right, I mean, at first it was Mike Evans, but he's not going anywhere. We wouldn't be doing our due diligence if we didn't suggest that one of these wide receivers goes to Kansas City. And I really do think Marquis Brown in Kansas City could be bananas.
Speaker 3: I'm surprised I didn't hear Gabe Davis from you, Mike.
Speaker 2: I was gonna said, they're gonna bring in Gabe Davis and he's gonna be the new MVSA.
Speaker 1: He can be MVS.
Speaker 3: He's gonna be in the biggest op of possibly vs.
Speaker 1: Big in the postseason. So I mean, you know, we laugh.
Speaker 2: But you can make fun of Gabe Davis all you want. Travis Kelsey, Tyreek Hill, no one has the best receiving game in Arrowhead in the Patrick Mahomes era is game Davis two hundred yards, four touchdown game.
Speaker 1: Okay, you know what this feels like. So I'm uh, you know, because I am an old. That feels like there was there was a picture in Major League Baseball guy named Mark Portugal and uh played for the Astros for a while and when they would play the San Francisco Giants, he would just shove. He would shove it down their throats every single time. So when he finally hit free agency, the Giants like, you know what, we're gonna go get Mark Portugal. And he was terrible. The Giants just awful. That's what this feels like, right, This feels like a Mark Portugal situation. The Chiefs are like, man gave Davis. Let us up here at arrowhead man, we should get him. And then they're like, oh, the other sixteen games of the years.
Speaker 2: Truly, how Bill Belichick signs free agents like it's no coincidence that every player they signed happens to have a good game against the Patriots.
Speaker 1: Come over and do that.
Speaker 2: Hey, yeah, good game game against us. Here's a bunch of money.
Speaker 1: There's a bunch of money to do nothing. Yeah, come on, come right in. Yeah, I you know, I mean, Gave Davis is going to get some some interest. I saw some Jaguars fans suggesting that maybe their team was going to talk about it now that they weren't excited about it. They were just putting out there that the Jaguars seem to have an interest in Gabe Davis, and they weren't all that thrilled about it. But he will get some interest from somewhere. You think it's look if they because it sounds here's it sounds like the Jaguars are prepared to lose Calvin Ridley. I don't think they believe they're going to be able to afford him with what he's going to command around the league. So I don't know, Gave Davis. Maybe the guy who slides in there, come on down.
Speaker 2: Dave Davis is making his own case on Instagram. It's like, that's no way. He's like tweeting Legit Analytics. He's posting, and I'm like that that's not a good sign.
Speaker 1: Oh man, all right, Well, next day he's gonna he's gonna fill out an indeed resume too. Right, let's move on to running backs because there are some interesting names. I feel like it's a very top heavy list at running back. Yeah, and then after a certain point there's a pretty big drop off. But the top guys, at least for me, Dereck Henry, Josh Jacobs, Saquon Barkley, Tony Pollard, Austin Eckler, Lakwan please rank them for me.
Speaker 3: Josh Jacobs, Barkley, Henry Eckler, Tony Pollard. In my emotion there, I feel like Tony poll is gonna go somewhere bored. I tweeted this the other day like it's gonna be somewhere boring, it's gonna be nasty where it's probably gonna be New England or something like that, where it just why did you do that? But I think Josh Jacobs is probably the biggest target right now on the market right now that people should be really like entertaining. He might not leave, you know, the Vegas, but I really feel like teams should just go out there and make an offer because man, you look at his last year, people are gonna be like, oh, well it was down he got injured, But it was the similar as the situation to Saquon Barkley really, where like he got tagged, he refused to sign it and got a one year deal, Like dude, I'm not gonna risk injury. Like these these situations here do matter when we're looking at some of these players and look at their last year notes. But I mean, didn't have the best Fantasy finished RB eighteen. But I really feel as though Josh Jacobs can change and elevate a team that is a running back away man.
Speaker 1: I could say for me, Saquan's my number one in this group because I think he sort of combines the best of all of these guys, right. He gives you the past catching ability of a Pollard or an Eckler. He gives you that power running ability that you get from a Derrick Henry or a Josh Jacobs. You know health has been an issue off and on for him over the last few years, but he also has been behind an offensive line that didn't do him any favors. My thought, my goal would be to have him come to Los Angeles play for the Chargers, moving in a Greg Roman Jim Harbaugh offense that is going to run the ball. They can throw it to him. They know that he could be an effective pass catcher out of the backfield, to pair up with Justin Herbert back there they've got. You know, we'll see whatch of their receivers. You know they stick around with. If it's Keenan Allen, if it's Mike Williams, presume it's going to be Keenan Allen. I think that's the beginnings of something there. Because the Chargers are I don't think they're far away. They have some holes defensively that they really got to figure out. Yeah, but I don't think they're far away. But I think Saquon gets them one big step closer to being a playoff team. I do. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think for everything that you said, like one, he still has the best like the highest percentage of runs go for ten plus yards. He's also was like the highest rated receiver of this bunch, so I agree at number two. I look, I think the NFL is going to agree with Lakwan. I think they're gonna rank Josh Shacobs the highest because he's the youngest. I'd rather Derreck Henry still at this point in their careers, Derek Henry still is the most high end speed of all five.
Speaker 1: Of these running backs. Is there anywhere but Baltimore that you see him going.
Speaker 2: I had two teams for Derrick Henry and I went back and forth on them, the Ravens and the Cowboys, because I think it would be very Jerry.
Speaker 1: Very Jarah to go out and sign Derrick Henry one hundred percent would be Jerry Jones like to sign Derek that's a big money, multi year deal too, Like it would it would be it would be like a huh sort of deal when we saw it, Like I could totally see that happening. I never thought about the Cowboys, but I really do think the Ravens are gonna come calling. I just don't see how they don't and bring him in just because of the state of the position, even though there're some interesting names out there. Do you think we're gonna see some of these guys go early, or is it gonna be that we have to wait? I think it was he was Dave Klugi who put out reminded me that this time last year, we're like, oh, yeah, no, Leonard Fournet's gonna get signed, Like he's gonna get signed early, and we'll figure we don't know where he's going to go, but certainly Leonard Fournete's going to get a job, right, And we waited a long time. We were well into the season before Leonard Fournette finally got a job. I'm not suggesting something like that with any of these guys, but I mean, is it gonna be that we you know, we see a whole lot of other signings before any of these running backs start getting going.
Speaker 2: I think we'll see Saquon Son pretty early. Josh Jacobs because again I think that, like Lakwan said, I think the NFL is gonna say he's young, he can do a little bit of each. Although my beef with Josh Jacobs is when you look at now his five years in the NFL two years ago, is the anomaly like that that huge career year is the one that clearly stands out, like that's the one that's different than the paid Yeah. Yeah, and didn't work out for him unfortunately. But Derek Henry I could see signing early. I think Pollard and Eckler are the two that could be left hanging around.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I agree. I was gonna say Poler would probably be a last to get signed because I don't know where he fits right now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think Eckler sadly is going to be hanging out for a while. I think, you know, last year didn't do him any favors, and it wasn't his fault. I mean, he got hurt early in the season. It feels like he kind of rushed himself back and was never totally right and that completely impacted what his production was going to be. So I think unfortunately he had a bad, injury plagued year at the worst possible time for him career wise. And so I think that's gonna, it's gonna.
Speaker 2: We're talking about it now, But that does not get talked about, and everyone just trade saw Sin Eckler like he fell off a cliff this year, and maybe he did. Look he's approaching twenty nine years old. That I understand the concerns. Why I think he's probably going to be left hanging around a little bit. But yeah, he also one. So for the high ankle's frame went on, I R like you said, the burst and everything as a runner was gone. He was still, though, the best receiving running back of these five. So I do think he can at least be a player that you could pigeonhole into a specific role and he can help your team, which is why I want him on the Denver Broncos because could just draw up one hundred targets for Austin?
Speaker 3: Could he really could?
Speaker 2: That?
Speaker 1: That would be spicy. I would be totally on board with with something like that. If Austin Eckler went to Denver, then I would have to, you know, hang up the hat for would just have to, Hey, bro, we tried, man, It's just it's just not gonna happen. So yeah, that's that's what I want to do there. Uh, of these guys that we didn't talk about, Lakwan, is there a player or team that you would most like to see? Like, what is the what is the connection? If you could play matchmaker here, who would you connect here in free agent and see?
Speaker 3: Give me Saquon to the Texans man I love joining that train man because that will elevate that offense to a powerhouse of the AFC. Like you will have to have them in the same conversation as the Chiefs, as the Ravens and the Bills, because the Texans are really moving and grooving right now on an offense and they need a running back. It's clearly they're a running back away. Devin Singletary was there. He was a serviceable running back, but he doesn't move the needle to get this offense to be a powerhouse that they could be. The running game will be great with him. You could do a little bit of him out of the backfield. But you have the draft still to get some depth on that old line because you know, the old line fell apart, you know, with injury and stuff like that. Get some young guys in there that can block, and you get the running game going with Saquon and you get c J. Stroud, Tank Dell and Nico Collins. Oh Dalon Schultz is back in the building to be a servicebale tight end. You have options for CJ. Strout and his offense to really take it to the movement.
Speaker 1: M all right. I like that, even though I you know want Saquon in Los Angeles, but I can, I can do you do you have a pairing that you would like? Uh?
Speaker 2: Sake one to the Texans was was my favorite one, I think because I had Henry to the Ravens. So I put Josh Jacobs to the Chargers because no matter who the Chargers get, I want to see them have a dual threat guy because I think that's their their offense is going to heavily run through the running back. To me, the most difficult pairing that I had was Tony Pollard. I was sitting and I ended up writing Cowboys because I was like, if if the Cowboys don't get one of these other running backs, like I if Tony, like you said, Tony Pollard could end up somewhere ugly, and it could be and he won't have that uh the team backing him being like, Okay, we've invested a lot into this guy, like he's just a guy that they signed off the street. I was also considering Philly for him, but I think DeAndre Swift returning to Philly is probably best case scenario.
Speaker 3: Yeah for him, absolutely, But.
Speaker 2: Fellas we have some some pre agent making news.
Speaker 1: Yeah man, Yeah, Zach Ertz signing a deal with the Commanders one year up to five million dollars. This, according to Tom Pelasero, it reunites zach Ertz and Cliff Kingsbury and they worked together with the Arizona Cardinals for a couple of years. Of course, Cliff, after leaving Arizona went to like a villa in Thailand and I think reenacted season three of White Lotus or something like that, and then came back and was the quarterbacks coach at USC and you know, may have used his time with Caleb Williams to sort of work his way back into NFL good graces. So now he is in Washington and he's got a tight end that he is familiar with. I mean, I love zach Ertz. I don't know that I'm super excited.
Speaker 3: About thirty three. Yeah, you let Logan Thomas, who's thirty two go, and that he signed a thirty three.
Speaker 1: Year old three year old I mean, and look, zach Ertz got to a point that he realized that Trey McBride was the future in Arizona, and it was just.
Speaker 3: Like, hey, man, you might as just let me go just over his shoulder, like, man, just let me get in front of.
Speaker 1: You to stop this just you know whatever. So I look, I like zach Ertz is a good player. I you know, I it doesn't necessarily move the needle for me a whole lot with him going to.
Speaker 3: Adpro one what it is right now?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it's and it's I don't think it moves a whole lot from there at any point for sure. You know, I mentioned I like, uh, the idea of Ridley to the Jets, Markus Brown to the Chiefs, uh saquond to the Chargers. You mentioned you didn't have a really good landing spot for Tony Pollard. But as we're talking about the Commanders, I think Tony Pollard in in Washington sort of makes sense. I think he can be in Washington. He can be that guy that we always thought Antonio Gibson was gonna be.
Speaker 3: Gibson's a free agent, actually yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, And I think that you know that that pairing is done, but why not bring him in. Uh, you can sort of split the workload with him and Brian Robinson. As Robinson more the the straight ahead runner. Pollar can get some carries for you, but he can be a pass catcher out of the backfield. I mean that was what that was the role I always envisioned Antonio Gibson was going to be in, even though it never really happened. Hollared seems more fit. Which is weird though, because I don't know if you ever heard this, but Antonio Gibson was a wide receiver in college and for whatever reason, Washington decided to not throw the balls and get it. Don't get it, don't get it. But I think I think Tony Paula can be that guy.
Speaker 2: I considered Pollard there, but I I love Brian Robinson, so I want I just want him to have a backfield too.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 1: I do he can catch the ball to man man wish def puon Brian Robinson flashback. Yeah, I don't know that that could be interesting. I like Brian Robinson. I just don't know if if they want him to be that kind of a pass catcher or if he can Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And I'm the guy who always says just because we haven't seen a guy do it, doesn't mean he can't do it. But to this point, the commanders nor Robinson have shown any inclination that they want to use him in that fashion at all. So uh, anyway, about a week from now, we will be talking more and more about this, which actually it's a good time to maybe can I clue you guys in we are considering should I put this out here?
Speaker 2: Guys?
Speaker 1: Should I try I put out the yes? Yes. So we are talking about we are developing the idea of doing a weekly streaming show, a short one maybe once a week, you know, twenty five thirty minutes something like that. We will talk about some of the big deals going on, the big issues going on across fantasy football, and obviously next week with it being free agency, feels like a good time to start that because we can hit some of the big deals that happen. You know, we'll do our Wednesday show talk about some of the deals that happened then, and then Thursday seems like a perfect follow up to talk more about that. So be wary for that. Wary that seems like it's something frightening. Be aware, be prepared for something like that, probably out on the YouTube or a streaming service.
Speaker 3: They're coming soon. Near fire content. Only that's the first time say this, send that on this show.
Speaker 1: We own that phrase. Now. I just want to let you know, surprise, surprise, it's probably anyway, I to Believeablongs to Roger, now, sorry about your luck a break come back. We will talk a little bit about the combine as we wrap things up on the NFL Fantasy Football Podcast. I want to finish up the show by talking some combine the things that went on in Indianapolis. We talked a little bit about it last week, and I think the consensus was it's it's entertaining to watch, it's fun to tweet about and talk about, but it doesn't necessarily translate to fantasy production. Although Xavier Worthy of running a four to two one woo, that's heat for sure, which I guess leads me to the first question, which player or players Florida you think helped themselves the most over the weekend.
Speaker 2: Look, Xavier Worthy is going to get all the talk, but at one sixty five running it at four to one is very impressive. But Xavier to get running a four to three nine at two twenty one that stood out to me. Donnie Mitchell, only four wide receivers taller and five heavier have ran a faster forty than him since two thousand and three. Brian Thomas Junior stood out to me. Second fastest forty third fastest ten yard split. So these are some names that are already kind of late first round picks, but I think they solidified themselves there and I think they did a really good job of showing like, hey, after the big three that are getting all the talk about, like this is a really deep wide receiver class and there's a lot of really really talented players. And then from a hype standpoint, I don't think anyone gained more hype than JJ McCarthy.
Speaker 1: And Michael Pennan. Nobody, Nobody, Nobody, Claire McCarthy. You know, there's always that guy or a couple of guys who during you know, the pre draft season, rockets themselves up draft boards. JJ McCarthy is the leader in the clubhouse for that one hundred percent. Anybody jump out to you this weekend, but on.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Jalen Wright, Man, I mean his pro comp is ALM Kamara, and I know, like a lot of teams need this type of running back right now. With the speed he had the second fastest forty time, I'm on the running back, so you know, he really had a great testing and broad jump as well. I think he had the highest as well. If I'm not mistaken, and like he's one of those guys that were fringed, like running RB two to three behind Jonathan Brooks. I mean it's safe to say, just based on land the spot, if he gets into a good spot, he can fall into a role where he can actually carve himself out to be useful in fantasy. So I think Jalen Wright did a great job testing out.
Speaker 1: And there's some talk that he could end up being the first running back taken in this draft. I know a lot of people were looking at Jonathan Brooks, but I think you know, look the medicals. The fact that he tore in ACL and is it likely to be ready at the start of the season is going to impact his draft status a little bit. So it could be that Jalen Wright has sort of surpassed him there. For me, a couple of names one Romo Dunza, not that he's moving up in the draft, but mostly that he sort of confirmed everything we already believed about him. You know, he's he's already going to be one of the top three receivers taking off the board. I think one and two were going to be the Molikue neighbors. Marvin Harrison Junior in whatever order you would like to put them. But I think o'doonza just locked himself in as the third wide receiver with what he did over the weekend, And for me, I was very interested to see what Marshaun Lloyd was going to do. I thought he performed very well. I thought he had a faster forty time than some people were going to think were expecting from him. It also, as a USC fan, made be frustrated that sometimes Lincoln Riley would just ignore him for long stretches in the game, because I think he's a talented player. I think the I think Lancer lines comp for him was a Jeric McKinnon type. He's not tall, he's a little bit stout. I think he can be a decent pass catcher if given the opportunity. He's a guy who has potential to be explosive at times, but maybe not a guy that you're gonna lean on to be a three down RB one. But I thought he performed and performed very well this weekend. Either you guys find somebody you're gonna go back and watch after what you saw at the combine, or you lakwhile you already saw you got a list of guys.
Speaker 3: There's a comfl guys where I'm just like, dude, what in the world, Like where this guy come from? But no, I mean for me personally, I was kind of like lay on the bandwagon. Ricky Piersoll, like he's one of the polished like wide receivers route running, like he's gonna make a huge impact to a team on one of these early second round teams. I mean, he had already had the senior ball buzz and I'm like, yeah, yeah, whatever, you know Roman Wilson, That's who I'm really looking at right now. But this dude is going to be one of those route runners that can just make a huge playing Like who is this dude?
Speaker 1: Uh yeah, Florida. Anybody you're keeping an eye or you're going to rewatch, I should say.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I want to watch more of Anthony Gold. He tied Worthy for the fastest ten yard split, and to me, I think the ten yard split almost matters more than the forty. Trey Benson was a standout this week, and then Isaac Grendo, who ran the fastest forty wait adjusted you can make an argument is the best forty time ever ran running back, but his ten yard split wasn't very good, so uh, definitely one. I haven't even started to In full honesty, I'm working my way through this wide receivers right now. I got so back going through receivers. I have not even started running back yet, so those are probably gonna be the two running backs I start with now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'll be honest, Like I had kind of heard the name Isaac Garrinda. I think I had watched one or two Louisville games during the season, but I didn't know much about him. So I'm definitely curious to sort of dive in and see what's going on there. I know this is not the most exciting running back class, but I think there are some guys out there who could be impact players.
Speaker 3: I like to call it if.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a good term. I like that term. I think it is a contributor class. Another quick question before we get out of here, I mean, is, aside of it being you know, interesting, theater, is the forty irrelevant? I guess for lack of a better term, I.
Speaker 3: Wouldn't say you relevant totally, but it's a little over hyped, especially for running back, like your first ten yards matter so much more like the forty determines.
Speaker 2: Okay, if you get in open field, can you take it? The distance which is important, but like burst, to me matters so much more than high end speed for running back. So if you can get going in ten seconds, I think that probably translates a little bit.
Speaker 1: Better to the NFL. I don't remember who it was that said it, but I think the point is taken. If you were running forty yards at a time on an NFL field, something has especially if you're a defensive player, something has gone really wrong. You know what I'm saying, Like, you shouldn't be running forty yards at a time. So it's it's nice, it's fun, it's interesting. But I think with the way the game is played, because especially offenses have sort of shrunk the field and everything's a lot shorter, I think your point is, well, take it, Floria. It's more about the ten yard burst in the overall forty yard run.
Speaker 2: Bigger question, why do we even make o lineman run the forty when they get penalized for being five yards down, for.
Speaker 1: Being downfield, yeah, destroying their knees. It was there was some you know, some big offensive line prog. Maybe it was it might have been pinn A Suol or somebody like that. It was like a big offensive line prospect and their forty time was below expectations. And I think one of the scoutser coaches is like, all right, well, I guess I just won't have him run streaks down the field, you know, I think, But I think in some way they'll say this. In some ways, watching those guys run and the time that they run is way more impressive.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, as a human.
Speaker 1: As just as a human being, that as a football player, but as a human being to be that big and that heavy and still run. Look, man, I mean you go out there and try to run forty yards, right, to run it even in five seconds or five that's that's pretty good man. And to do that with three hundred plus pounds is sort of amazing. So, yeah, it doesn't make headlines, but sometimes watching some of those guys run is amazing because I don't think you realized what kind of athletes some of these dudes are.
Speaker 2: But my personal FA favorite headline from it was like Sam Hartman runs fastest forty amongst quarterbacks, and then it was like he was the only quarterback that ran.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so you can also say Sam Hartman had the worst forty times exact quarters as well. We'll be true, both of those statements are true one hundred percent. All right, that's a good spot for us to stop for this week. We'll be back with you next week as well, as we will be pretty much in the thick of free agency, so we'll be back with you kind of talk about what is to be some of this player movement and what that's going to mean for both the NFL teams and your fantasy football team as well. But that'll do it for this edition of the NFL Fantasy Football Podcast. Stay happy, safe and healthy, do good and live well. Enjoy the weekend, everybody. We'll talk to you next week. Wo