Speaker 1: Tis.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it just set. What's the show in canc what's the one? What's going on with the technology underlying cryptocurrencies? What is bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies and what are their future? I'm Barry withhelts and on today's edition of At the Money, we're going to discuss all sorts of cryptocurrencies. To help us unpack this and what it means for your portfolio, let's bring in Matt Hogan. He's the chief investment officer at Bitwise Asset Management. The firm runs over ten billion dollars in clients crypto assets. So Matt, let's start with a really basic question. What is bitcoin? What is ethereum? And what use cases do these coins have?
Speaker 1: Oh? Amazing, Well, it's great to be here.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: Bitcoin is a crypto asset. The way I think of it is the first way that investors can store wealth in a digital format without relying on any government or any bank. It's built on a major technical innovation called the blockchain, which took forty years to develop trying to figure out how to make this possible. Bitcoin broke through that in two thousand and eight, two thousand and nine, and it's been gaining steady adoption ever since, Ethereum is something more complex than bitcoin. If you think of bitcoin as digital money, you can think of ethereum as making money and compute programmable in a public setting, and you can build applications on that. You can build smart contracts, you can build stable coins, you can build other applications. I think it's a very exciting technology. But you can think of bitcoin as digital money Ethereum as sort of public compute and programmable money, and you'd be pretty close to realbum.
Speaker 2: So you mentioned smart contracts. I'm kind of fascinated by that. When we were talking about this a few years ago, the idea for smart contracts for concert tickets had come up, where hey, Taylor Swift is unhappy that in the US, scalpers are buying up their tickets, keeping them away from the fans and selling them for five thousand dollars. If we were to put Taylor Swift contracts on ethereum, she could sell her tickets at fifty dollars, and whoever buys them, if they want to resell it at a higher price, she says, great, this contract, says, I get half of that. And so the idea is to encourage it going to fans and making it less profitable for scalpers. But even if they do scalp it, well, when the artists themselves get it, how realistic our applications like that? And when might we see something along those lines?
Speaker 1: I love it. It's all going to happen very I think they're all realistic. Crypto enables frictionless, programmable money. So what you're raising there as an example of allowing money to be programmable, it's not just concert tickets. You could say the same thing about art. Artists are always upset that they sell their art and then at one hundred x's in price and they don't benefit from that directly. And so this idea of attaching revenue streams downstream from it is something that you can do easily in the blockchain setting. The natural question is why hasn't it happened? Right, if we were talking about this two years ago and it's such a great idea, why hasn't it happened? And there are two reasons for that. One is that Crypto has had a regulatory cloud hanging over it. The SEC has been launching lawsuits against Crypto. There was concerns in Congress a senator was building anti crypto army. If you're a mainstream corporation, are you going to build a new business in an area where a senator is building an army to crush you? You're not, So we didn't see any of that. The second is that blockchains were slow and costly until about a year ago. Sort of we've gone through in blockchains what we went through going from dial up to broadband Internet. Now we have highly performant, low cost blockchains that can perform a lot of transactions, and we have a positive regulatory environment. I think you're going to see a flowering of a million use cases over the next two or three years. In crypto they're going to blow people's minds. I think they're going to go mainstream. You're going to be using crypto apps without even knowing it, and I think people haven't woken up to that reality yet.
Speaker 2: So you're really suggesting where like nineteen ninety three in the Internet is that? Is that a good frame of reference.
Speaker 1: That is exactly right, and you're seeing these crypto apps pop up and break through people's consciousness. A good examp was polymarket during the election. Oh sure, everyone was looking at poly market for the prediction odds on who would win the president into the election.
Speaker 2: It was.
Speaker 1: It was in the Bloomberg terminal, right, the data from it. That was a crypto app. It could only be built on crypto. Crypto enabled it to happen, and yet no one was talking about that. So, yeah, it's nineteen ninety four, nineteen ninety six. On the Internet. We're starting to see a few examples. Yahoo's jumping up, you know, Email is jumping up. Hotmail is happening, but it hasn't gone mainstream net. It's about too.
Speaker 2: So it sounds like there are a lot of new use cases for things like ethereum. Give us some other examples, because you're obviously much more knowledgeable about this.
Speaker 1: Then stable coins are one of the great killer apps to develop in crypto. A stable coin is a money market fund, but on a blockchain. Right, It's a way to access dollars on a blockchain. So why is that a killer app? There are two reasons. One, it puts a US bank account at the fingertips of anyone with a cell phone, anyone at wear around the world. And if you're in Argentina or you're in Turkey and you can't easily access a US dollar bank account. But your currency has high inflation, you're going to want access to stable coins that's built primarily on ethereum. If you're in a sub Saharan Africa, there's a company called Yellowcard that's using stable coins to do country to country payments between business entities. It's growing at an exceptional rate. The US dollar is a phenomenal tool, and most people don't have access to it. Stable coins make that instantly accessible globally, and so I think that's a good example of how crypto can really go mainstream at a very fast rate.
Speaker 2: So let's talk a little bit about security. I recall ten years ago crazy numbers something like a lot of hacks, a lot of thefts, and we talked previously about passwords. Something like twenty percent or twenty five percent of all bitcoins have been lost because the owners either misplaced the drive it was on or misplaced the password. That sort of security issue seems to have been taken care of as this has become financialized and you can buy coins in etf fashions. Tell us a little bit about custody and security of crypto assets.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, it's worth noting those stories always sound so ridiculous. How could these crazy people lose their password? It's now worth a billion dollars, But remember at the time it wasn't worth a billion dollars. It was worth a few bucks. Right, somebody bought two pizzas for eighty thousand bitcoin. That's now worth a billion dollars. I sure hope they were good, but you know, you have to think back to then when bitcoin was trading for a few cents. People weren't as careful as they would be today. But the technology has improved exponentially. Now the way most people custody their bitcoin, their ethereum, their other crypto assets is through regulated qualified custodians with insurance from leading insurance providers who have been doing it this for years and have hundreds or thousands of people who help manage that securely. And the track record for those qualified custodians is sterling. And so I think it's really improved sort of exponentially.
Speaker 2: And to give you a sense of how long that's been going on, in November twenty seventeen, there was literally an episode of The Big Bang Theory where they talked about mining coins and putting it on a drive that subsequently got lost and back then in twenty seventeen, it was you know, tens of thousands of dollars. Today it's it's a whole lot more than that. So I keep hearing from some skeptics who are saying this is a bubble. All these cryptocurrencies are just speculative excess. How do you respond to that.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, they may be right, of course, that's what makes a market. But many of the smartest investors in the world are allocating to bitcoin and crypto. Stand Dracamiller is allocating to crypto. You know, Abba Fidelity is allocating to crypto. Blackrock is building a huge business in this. Sixty percent of the world's largest hedge funds have a position in bitcoin. It may be that those people have a right point of view as well. When I look at crypto today, it looks to me like a technology that is just crossing the chasm from early adopters to mainstream and to gain that sort of mainstream attention. But long term, it's not at a mature state.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: Bitcoin is not standing shoulder to shoulder with gold Ethereum is not standing shoulder to shoulder with Amazon cloud services. We think of them at a discounted level until they're standing shoulder to shoulder. I don't think we've reached maturity or bubble level. You know it is, and I think we have. I think we're getting there, but I don't think we're there yet.
Speaker 2: So let me ask you a two sided question and you can ask them answer them both. What are the skeptics not understand about crypto? Generally? What do you think the advocates either get wrong or overemphasize one of.
Speaker 1: The skeptics not understand is a really great question. I think many of them are anchored on the first time they heard about bitcoin, And something that crypto needs to admit is the first time many people heard about bitcoin or crypto was in a negative light. Maybe it was FTX, maybe it was the collapse of mount Gox in twenty fourteen, maybe it was Silk Road and illicit use. And the problem is, from a psychological anchoring perspective, they have such a negative first take on bitcoin they're not able to evaluate it properly. They still consider things like what about the illicit use of bitcoin? Well, the Department of Justice has come out and said that bitcoin's illicit use is so small and it's not worth monitoring, it's much lower than it is for cash. So I think many of the skeptics don't evaluate where the data is today because they're taking a twenty twenty two or twenty eighteen or twenty fourteen view of bitcoin and crypto.
Speaker 2: I mean, we've seen some pretty extreme forecasts on prices that you know, kind of raise red flags. When people are talking about, you know, a million or five million as a bitcoin target, it seems like they're trolling us a bit.
Speaker 1: It does seem like they're trolling us a bit. I think they underestimate the efficiency of markets and the ability of markets to accurately value what an asset is. Just because bitcoin has gone up in the past and crypto has gone up in the past, does not guarantee that it will go up in the future. And there are significant foreseeable and unforeseeable risks in the future that we should think about, their regulatory risks, their technology risks, their adoption risks, And I think there's probably just too much sort of assumption that there is a manifest destiny of bitcoin going to a million. There is no such guarantee in the market. There's always risk.
Speaker 2: Well, well, the trend is your friend, that's the old trading desk statement. So that leads to a really interesting question. Are these coins an investment or are they a speculation.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're absolutely an investment, and some of them have elements of speculation. Let me give you an example of bitcoin. I think when you're investing in bitcoin, Barry, you're making two bets. One you're making a speculative bet that bitcoin will stand shoulder to shoulder with gold as a store of value asset. Right now, it's about ten percent of gold. You're saying, I think it'll be twenty. It'll be thirty, it'll be forty, it'll be fifty, it'll be one hundred. The second bet you're making is that the US government has thirty six trillion dollars of debt and is printing another trillion every ninety days. The store of value market is going to become more valuable in the future, and bitcoin is a piece of To me, that's a fundamental bet, and the other one is a speculative bet about it maturing. The reason Bitcoin's performed so well over the last handful of years is both of those have come true. And if you have two bets that are both coming true, you know, it's not one plus one, it's two times two equals four. It's it's sort of an exponential bet. So there's elements of speculation, but there are elements of fundamental investing be hindh these crypto assets as well.
Speaker 2: So to wrap up, investors should pay attention to the various coins, in particular Bitcoin and ethereum as a new technology that is crossing the chasm from early adopter towards mainstream investing. It doesn't mean that you outsize your position. It doesn't mean that you oversize holding bitcoin. Think about this as a new technology that is starting to be adopted more broadly in the world of both finance and technology and try and you know every beer commercial ends with drink responsibly, invest responsibly. If you want to take a few percentage of your portfolio and throw it into a BITCOINYTF, there's nothing terrible about that. You just don't want to go hog wild and get sucked into the bubble mentality. That's where people run into trouble. Thanks Matt, this has really been interesting. I'm Barry Ridolts. You've been listening to Bloomberg's at the Money It
Speaker 1: See