Speaker 1: Still the Place with Laura Layton, Courtney Thorn Smith.
Speaker 2: And daphnews Aniga and iHeartRadio podcast.
Speaker 3: All right, welcome back to Still the Place.
Speaker 4: It's our Melrose minute.
Speaker 3: And we had lots of stuff going on in the last couple of weeks. Of course, in our previous episode we had a recap, and we also are still dealing with the la fires and lots of stuff going on, and we are happy to have more opportunity to talk to each other.
Speaker 5: And with you all about all.
Speaker 3: The things that come up that we just don't have time to do in our regular episodes.
Speaker 1: Just energyic really quick. Josee Bissett is with us, so.
Speaker 4: For p Hello, we have just.
Speaker 2: So I have a story that I just want to jump in first and tell because it's so funny. I have this reaction about Sydney coming and like taking over Jane's life, and you know, you just want Jane.
Speaker 4: It's so easy to say no, like I would never let her do all that. It's so insane that she I know that you don't have a choice, because those are the lines. During the shooting of the show.
Speaker 2: My sister shows up to my house from across the country in her car.
Speaker 4: That she came with a girlfriend.
Speaker 2: I remembered this as I was watching this, I went, wait a second, he shows up at my house.
Speaker 4: She I'm like, oh, how long are you staying for?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 4: Just a little bit. So she and her friend show up with a car packed with stuff. The friend leaves, the sister doesn't.
Speaker 2: The next thing I know, she's like moved into my guest room. The next thing I know, she's taking acting classes.
Speaker 4: And not only that, and I'm like, okay, I gotta go to work. She's taking an acting class with a friend of mine. And then the topper is I get her apart on Melroe's Blaze. No way, my sister.
Speaker 2: In real life came over, lived with me, took an acting class with my friend, and got onto my show. And I went and tracked it down this morning. She plays a ticket agent at the airport. It's season two, and it's when Billy's like running to get a plane, probably to go find Alison.
Speaker 4: But it's season two when she comes up and there's Jennifer and I'm just like, I did it. It's so easy to let it happen, is my point?
Speaker 2: Right, crazy, It's so easy, like it just happens and she was just like before you know, she has headshots, and then she's she did another little indie movie, and then I think a year later she was like, I'm done with this.
Speaker 4: This is ridiculous too, you know.
Speaker 2: Just and I remember when she left and she went back to her life on the East Coast, and I thought, I wish I could do that because I had the buck I had that I'm doing this for better for worse.
Speaker 4: And she left and like, has a fantastic life. That's all she took.
Speaker 3: I'm just saying, really, yea, that's just so crazy because I know that you're like, you're close with your sister, like you guys, you know, you guys are close and stuff. But just that you were having this exact parallel storyline actually so weird in your life is so bizarre.
Speaker 2: Didn't remember it, but it might encourage her to come back out and give it another ghost. Anyone else had that with friends or family lived with them, because I've had that a.
Speaker 6: Lot for I have never had anyone do that, and I would never do that to someone like I just yeah, I don't even like people just randomly showing up at my door, like I just like, well, they just give me.
Speaker 4: Heads up, that's it?
Speaker 6: Like what if I'm I don't.
Speaker 4: Know, I just I don't know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, my sister and I were living together when during this part of Mar's Place, we lived together in an apartment in West la On, Massachusetts. Yeah, so I was living with her, but she worked. Actually this, I never made this connection. She worked in advertising.
Speaker 4: Huh, well.
Speaker 1: Together thirty years later.
Speaker 6: Weird? Is it?
Speaker 1: My sister worked in advertising at Disney while I was doing this. I don't I can't imagine I even ever asked her about her job because I didn't even connect.
Speaker 4: She had technical advice on the show at D and D.
Speaker 1: I don't think we did. But you know, look I didn't do a lot of actual advertising, right, Alison worked at the desk and dates apparently that's but that's so funny.
Speaker 3: She wasn't trying to steal your life. She was stealing your character's life, or maybe your character.
Speaker 4: I was stealing her life.
Speaker 1: I was playing her on TV.
Speaker 3: So funny, bizarre. Well, I know, Josie, you have a sister that you're really close with.
Speaker 5: I have a sister that I'm really close with.
Speaker 3: I remember that was part of our relationship, Like that was what we talked about is like having a sister like you from certain sister things that you have. Of course, you know, we have to obviously tell this particular sisterhood story.
Speaker 6: Right right, How what's your age gap you and your sister?
Speaker 5: My sister's old I am the younger sister.
Speaker 4: Okay, bye?
Speaker 5: How much three and a half years?
Speaker 3: And you know, I've always felt like with siblings, like I don't know how you guys feel, but like I think it's sort of a classic theme, like you got to pick a lane, you know, if you have a sibling that is older than you and they've already kind of chosen their lane, I think so often you pick a very different lanes, Like I'm not gonna I can't try to compete with that. I can't do that or be that this person's already doing that, you know.
Speaker 5: And so I think sort of the like.
Speaker 3: That was sort of how I see my relationship with my sisters. Like my sister was, you know, a certain way, and I just kind of went a different path than you know, I felt like she'd already grounded herself in.
Speaker 4: But if it's a passion of yours, do you divert?
Speaker 3: You know, That's what we see with with Jane and Sidney is like, you know, is is Sidney really passionate about this or what is that? Because normally I think people are like you'll find that siblings are very very different, or if you have more than one kid, your kids are vastly different. You know, the one kid is this way and another is that way. One is art, he want is sport whatever.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, think about Elizabeth and Andrew Shoe right, Like like Lisa had this great, big, amazing career, Andrew does a couple of auditions, gets Melroe's place and does a great job but wonderful, and then he was just like I'm done. Yeah, right, like she went on to win an oscar like it's her passion. For him, it was I'm doing this. But his passion is really politics and changing the world. Like we're so glad he's out there doing what he's doing, trying to change the world. But it's also another similar thing there. He just happened to stumble into the post place, right.
Speaker 4: No, he didn't happen. Remember the whole story told she brought him in, She brought him.
Speaker 3: He wasn't seeking it is I think what Courtney's trying to say that he wasn't seeking it necessarily.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 1: No, he was a soccer player and he thought, well that would be fun and he happens to be and charming and were great for him. But afterwards he didn't he didn't want to keep going.
Speaker 6: You know what.
Speaker 1: Then he started to do something and he really that's where the heart.
Speaker 6: Is, right.
Speaker 4: But she brought him into that.
Speaker 2: I remember the whole story of him saying, we were on a red car bit and I says Jess to do and then she called him in Africa, get your ass to Hollywood.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna you know what I mean. So, but yeah, it wasn't his passion so interesting?
Speaker 6: So Elizabeth suggested him for Melrose.
Speaker 4: I think it was for something else.
Speaker 5: Oh okay, okay, and somebody said, is your brother and actor?
Speaker 1: I wonder if somebody saw him and went, hey, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 4: He would be a good billy.
Speaker 1: Yeah hello, Well I think he did something else before Melrose.
Speaker 4: Oh he did?
Speaker 1: Okay, did we haven't he told the whole story. We can just go okay, we listened to that episode.
Speaker 2: What about the Randa and Terrence thing, that thing of you're with someone he's concerned about appearances and stature.
Speaker 4: And all of this, and you're not.
Speaker 2: And he lies on her behalf and wants her to see because it makes him look better if she's a ballerina or whatever in between dance companies and something.
Speaker 4: And I mean Courtney kind of called it out as she was reading it that it was he was so controlling.
Speaker 2: You know, it's like you see, you see potential, like I want you to be.
Speaker 4: I am in the rondo position.
Speaker 2: Would have totally fit in and gone along, maybe lied by a mission and then just wanted to fit in.
Speaker 4: I would have wanted to.
Speaker 2: Fit into what this guy that I really liked be period, end the story until it was and I have I have totally done that. I mean I wrote an article on Oprah Magazine about it. You know, one day I'm beating a guy who goes plays polo and goes to see Mozart down at the Dorothy Chandler and then we broke up, and then I'm like on meeting a guy with a Harley and then I get my own Harley and the Dead.
Speaker 1: So I think that's really common for young women. I feel the same way you did. I would have been intimidated and felt less than now I would feel like, oh, you're different, we don't have the same interests. Okay, Yeah, it would have been bored. I would have been born and I would have said, Okay, this is boring for me. I want to go laugh with some other people. But I think right, it would have personalized. It told the story about how they were better. I was worse. I should be that, right, we were so vulnerable to them.
Speaker 6: Yeah, age of maturity helps, right, Yeah, I.
Speaker 1: Was thinking that too when you were talking Jose about different choices you would have made. And what came up for me when I was watching the show this morning before this was we were different then, Like I'm looking at it, going, I should have made a different choice. But I'm going, well, that's what my voice was then, Like my voice is deepened, I've become more grounded, I've become more authentic because all of that stuff has fallen away in layers. So that probably was as authentic and honest as I could be. Like, it's not fair to say, oh, I should have been more honest, Like that's probably as much of myself as I had access to.
Speaker 6: That.
Speaker 1: That was we were in our early twenties. We were babies. I think you were twenty one jos like.
Speaker 6: I was twenty one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, we were babies.
Speaker 4: And Laura was a little bit older. They're playing her younger sister. I love that.
Speaker 1: I love that play atwelve you totally sold it, you guys, but you weren't much older.
Speaker 5: No, just a couple of years older.
Speaker 1: Right now, it's nothing at that time, now it's nothing two old years older.
Speaker 3: It seemed like a lot anymore. And it wasn't just like the comparison, like I was older than she was, but I was also needing to play older than or younger than I was in real life, Like if I was twenty three years old and I needed to play eighteen or nineteen, I was like, ooh, that's that's a right. You know, that seems like such a big gap and I need to really sell that difference.
Speaker 4: And you did, Yeah you did.
Speaker 5: I mean I feel like I went down to like what, like you know, twelve.
Speaker 6: The hair half a paf down.
Speaker 1: It was great.
Speaker 4: This well no, no.
Speaker 1: No, but you're an emot you were an emotionally immature eighteen year old. I really and I'm not just blowing smoke. I thought it was perfect.
Speaker 4: No, it was good because it.
Speaker 1: Also we forgive you because it's almost like you don't know, like you don't have any You're you're manipulative because you're trying to get your needs met. You're not trying to be mean. You just don't have another way of moving through the world because you're so emotionally immature.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 1: I think it really worked.
Speaker 4: Thank you.
Speaker 3: And I think, you know, definitely Sydney's insecurities showed like, yes, you know through So that's the ability part that I.
Speaker 5: Don't know, and it gets it got, you know, when my character.
Speaker 3: Comes back later in subsequent seasons, I feel like the age thing became like a lot less important, you know, and it was more just like maintaining that through line of gosh, how do you sustain this sort of like constant insecurity and like how, you know, how does that evolve? Like it started at a certain heightened point, you know, and you're just I don't know. It just felt like trying to figure out how to take that and carry that through truthfully.
Speaker 1: Right, And I was just thinking that, you know, you guys are are so close and yours your sweet friends. When you hated when your characters hated each other, and you were like you had to be so mean to each other, like after the scenes broke, what did it feel like when you would finish just yelling vitriol at each other?
Speaker 4: That's hard?
Speaker 1: What was that, pens Laura?
Speaker 6: I mean like, if that's exhausting too write having to personally, I don't love getting mad, and that's part of my My own founder issues are conflict avoidance, which I think Jane had massive amounts of that well cast, because yeah, but it's tiring, it's hiring as an actor to I think, to be angry but also to be so emotional, which Jane had a lot of crying.
Speaker 4: And stuff like that. So yeah, yeah, yeah, but.
Speaker 6: Then we would have our relief with our little silly laughing fits when we just had too much and then we couldn't stop laughing, So that was always fun. Those some of my favorite moments.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I remember director saying to me because I was supposed to be angry and he see, He goes, well, how do you yell when you're angry? And I said, I don't yell, and he goes, that's an issue. I was like, don't like in front of my Tiger crew, like I said, I do this right now?
Speaker 4: Interesting?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I had to look at that because it was like, I don't And I was like, how am I going to play this? If I don't, I will right over. That's not a great I get more range rolling over and trug my belly.
Speaker 4: That's that's such a cute image.
Speaker 2: And I'm the dog, I'm the attacker. I totally all to apologize and.
Speaker 4: I throw things. Not anymore, but I used to throwing.
Speaker 2: I was, by the way, that story about the pumpkin pie that I think Laura brought up again after throwing a.
Speaker 4: Raw pumpkin pie.
Speaker 2: I learned that from Playboy, Bunny Centerfold, Miss July Tawny, and she was so much better at it. She taught me in this We went in the bathroom. She goes, come here, Daphne, I got to show you how to be angry. And I'm like, she picks up this ashtray and she throws it against She goes, do it in a bathtub so that when you clean it up, it's not glass everywhere.
Speaker 4: It's in the shower.
Speaker 3: So so she actually like worked on her arm and like she say, you just need a better arm, like.
Speaker 4: Practice, you got to get your anger out. And I was like, what if this sounds great. You know, probably went to Flaming Colossus the night before.
Speaker 2: I don't know anyway, So this so Tawny did it beautifully. Bam throws it against the thing and it didn't crack, and she was so bumped.
Speaker 4: She goes, oh, stupid ashtray. You know it didn't break because it was nice and thick. Anyway, So then I get mad later and I'm like, god, what did Tawny say? Again?
Speaker 2: It was like it just never had this same It went fun mush, that is so funny.
Speaker 6: I like throwing places you can go and plate.
Speaker 3: The axe throwing like that.
Speaker 6: Well there's the axe throwing, but there are places from when I hear you can actually go break just to get out anger rage rooms.
Speaker 5: Yeah, plate plate, smashing to get it out.
Speaker 1: I would just go there and go I don't like it. I don't like it. Quick thing Playboy Bunny. Have you guys ever been to the Playboy Mansion or shot at the Playboy Mansion.
Speaker 4: I have not been up there.
Speaker 1: I strangely shot an episode of according to Jim, of all the weird things to shoot at the Playboy Mansion, and I one of my my dressing room was just one of the rooms, and the entire floor was like a bed, like it was all a bed.
Speaker 4: Like you did your dressing room. Wasn't origin of the bed like one of the rooms.
Speaker 1: It was one of the rooms in the mansion that they used as my dressing room. Oh and it's like you just didn't want to touch anything stains, but like the entire imagine like a floor that's a mattress.
Speaker 4: Yeah awesome, that's craty.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so just an idea for future decorating. Just you know, when you're doing when you're planning your sex room.
Speaker 4: Maybe a full down bed not.
Speaker 1: We were walking on it and my girlfriend Mary was extra that day, just were like what, we're so drunk.
Speaker 4: That's hilarious.
Speaker 6: Wow wow, like goodness.
Speaker 3: So clearly need to have more of these little Melrose minutes.
Speaker 5: We have too much, like much fun, so much to talk about, too many tangents.
Speaker 2: Yeah, time, it's we love doing the recap, but we also love talking and catching up and telling the stories.
Speaker 4: It's Melrose twenty minutes.
Speaker 5: And I learned so much about both of you.
Speaker 3: I didn't know that day actually practiced her angry throw and this thing about the Playboy mansion that Courtney has been to like all these, all these things I learn.
Speaker 1: When we have this opportunity, and the nice thing is then I don't have to yell at you guys. Save it for the tape, Save it for the tape. I get to relax and get to it as always.
Speaker 3: Thanks for tuning in to steal the place, don't forget.
Speaker 4: To sanscribe, Josie. Thanks for joining us.
Speaker 1: So good to see.
Speaker 6: You guys, Love you guys.
Speaker 3: Bye everyone, Bye
Speaker 1: Bady w W want receive for episode twenty