Speaker 1: The Apple Watch Series ten is here. It has the biggest display ever. It's also the thinnest Apple Watch ever, making it even more comfortable on your wrist whether you're running, swimming, or sleeping. And it's the fastest charging Apple Watch, getting you eight hours of charge in just fifteen minutes. The Apple Watch Series ten available for the first time in the glossy jet black aluminum compared to previous generations. iPhone Tennis are later required. Charge time and actual results will vary.
Speaker 2: This episode is brought to you by all State. Some people just know they could save hundreds on car insurance by checking all State first, Like, you know, to check the date of the big game first before you accidentally buy tickets on your twentieth wedding anniversary and have to spend the next twenty years of your marriage making up for it. Yeah, checking first is smart, So check all State first for a quote that could save you hundreds. You're in good hands with All States Savings. Very terms apply All State Fire and Casualty Insurance Company and Affiliates, Northbrook, Illinois.
Speaker 3: You know, there used to be a joke that rappers want to be ballplayers, and ball players want to be ready. Sure, but what's also true is there.
Speaker 4: Is a not me I'm too small.
Speaker 3: Welcome in special episode of What's Right with the Great Podcast is episode number sixteen. This is our first episode that is not happening live from my living room, and it's happening from Los Angeles, California. Because this is our first episode where instead of my son Demanse being the co host, we have a guest. Demanse is out replaced with none other than arguably the best rapper alive, blow Away Dwayne joins us. Now, the first thing I want to ask you is this, how did we become friends?
Speaker 4: Man? I think this one plain Simba doesn't like in a show.
Speaker 3: So okay. So then that leads me to my next question. When do you sleep?
Speaker 5: H's that's like a five letter word, right, I'm trying to figure out that's the five ESSL.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm still trying to finally figure out what that one means.
Speaker 3: That's because my show starts it's seven thirty in New York, which is four thirty out here. Yeah, and during football season, twice a week, you're texting me about something I said about the Packers or something. In one of the first two segments, so that's it's before five in the morning. Yeah, and I assume I don't think it's because you haven't gone to bed, But I also don't think you're getting up and immediately turn on the show. So what's what's the day look like?
Speaker 5: No, so what happens is that's studio time four thirty. That when I moved out here, it was perfect because that's my I'm always in the studio. Everyone's in the studio at that time, your show, just all the shows that come on. I usually gotta miss sometimes I gotta miss a little bit. To speak for yourself, but you, yip, Colin, y'all get watched all day.
Speaker 3: All day while you're doing so while you're doing.
Speaker 5: It, TV's on up there, the TV's on in the booth, everywhere everywhere.
Speaker 3: So so that you're we were talking about this beforehand, you and I. You're a little bit older me, we're almost the same age. You have been. You have been in the public eye for now more than twenty five years. You were twelve right when. Okay, So I got a bunch of questions about that, and then we talk sports. Why do you still do it?
Speaker 5: Plain and simple insanity, doing the same thing over and over expecting different results every time.
Speaker 4: Okay, plain and simple, but also playing. I love what I do.
Speaker 5: It's it's never it's never been a day of work for me. It's always been me getting to do my dream, living my dream out. So thank God every day and night.
Speaker 3: So there's there's a commercial. I don't know how good the commercial is. I think it's for like crypto company, but it's Lebron talking to his young and his younger self. So if you were able to talk to twelve year old playing, you know, right around the time you invented the term bling blank? Yeah, what what would you tell him?
Speaker 5: I was just telling him that, you know, I never ever once thought that as that when I was young. I never thought that this would ever stop, that I would ever stop, and so I probably would just tell him at that, you know, keep doing you it'll be wonderful.
Speaker 3: So the when we when I talked to athletes sometimes like the truly great athletes, they were some of them, you know, were late luers, but a lot of them when they were seven years old, they knew, they knew, and people around him were like, you're gonna be and they were almost a little extra protected. The people at their back. You're obviously from tough, tough place, New Orleans, and a lot of bullshit around you, and your famous as a child, yes, before America knew you. When did you know or the people around you started saying to you, You're you're gonna be you, You're gonna be this.
Speaker 5: So as a kid, as in what I mean by that isn't from five to seven. From that age, from age five to seven, I was already being woken I was already being woken up and waking up. How you want to come in my sleep at eleven twelve pm and I'm twelve am to wake up, come perform, Come do to Michael Jackson. Wake up and come do the scene that we watched today from Bill Cosby. Show up, Come wake up, and come do what Rudy did today on the College Real Yeah, I was already put this wig on, put the sock on, and come do to Michael Jackson. And this is for a living room full of people that's in their forties.
Speaker 4: Okay, you know what I mean. Just do that.
Speaker 5: As it go, I get a candy or something from the fridge, and I'm happy with that.
Speaker 4: Stick.
Speaker 5: I go to school the next day so that right there already told me that, okay, you're there's not a seven year old in.
Speaker 4: This living room not performed.
Speaker 5: And also so none of my seven year old friends would even want to see me do this, you know. So that right there kind of gave me and I kind of let me know that, okay, because now when I'm going to school and I'm talking about the things or something I've heard in that living room, I'm noticing that I'm connecting with my teacher, okay, and not my friends, you know, and I'm noticing that I have a real connection with the teacher. The teacher is literally calling me to the desk and we having real conversations. And so that right there told me, Okay, you're going to probably be a little different. And of course the teacher would tell me, you know, you're a little different. You need to They'll tell my mom, you know, they'll want to talk to my mom. He shouldn't walk home from school, things like that, you know, like he shouldn't walk home from school.
Speaker 4: He's a little you.
Speaker 5: Know, you got something here, you know what I mean, that type of thing. And then once I became a rapper with cash money records, who was by the way, they was already who they were before we signed a deal with Universal Records. New Orleans was the cash. Money was everything. And so just by them even giving me paying attention to me, that meant something. And so once I was with them around eleven, Julie was the biggest rapper we had, the biggest artist we had. Julie was Alwa would always say on any interview, any show, and then amongst each other internally, Wayne's the best.
Speaker 4: He's going to be the guy.
Speaker 3: So do you now that you have the perspective of you know, twenty five years in the business, and you mentioned when I was a kid, and for you, when you were a kid five six, seven years old, you probably stopped being a kid way younger than most. Yeah, So do you now that you're an adult, do you look back on it and say, man, I missed nothing.
Speaker 4: Not at all. How come I think that could?
Speaker 5: I mean, because every kid I can ask, every friend, I can ask that dig get to do the kid thing.
Speaker 4: They would have loved, They would do it.
Speaker 3: I was, So why do you think? So I've got a I got three kids, but eight year old daughters are youngest, and everyone's is that we should put her try to get her into some type of TV. Or she's just very pretty and smart and loves acting on this and she wants to There's like an audition coming up in New York for some Nickelodeon kitchen. She wants to do it, and I won't let her do it. And it's because the success rate of people that are child stars having successful adulthood. It's like justin Timberlake, Lebron, James, Lol Wayne, a couple others, but most of them, even if they do have successful adulthood, they have some real dark times or they peak at fifteen, and it's depressing as an adult. So why do you think you were able to kind of navigate that world to still be at the top of your field twenty five years later?
Speaker 5: I would say, first of all, because it's music. I mean, it isn't acting and nothing music. When you're being seen, as in you know, acting, when you're being seen, people can you know, it's a difference from being heard. It's people can't get tired of seeing you okay, and get tired of saying uh, not as in exhausted, as in I don't want to see you no more, but as in what are you doing now? What am I seeing now? If I'm not seeing something different me as in music, I was always able to adjust. Some artists don't do that. Some artists feel I was successful in what I was doing and the way I sound and the way I'm gonna keep doing that, and I was always able to adjust. I was always able to say, Okay, this is what we're doing. Now, I'm gonna do that and do it way better. And I mean, I think that's only a personal thing, and that would be that would be my personal reason of the reason why I was able to navigate so the.
Speaker 3: And I'm not comparing my career to you, but what I think similar is And what would people young people ask me, like, hey, you know I want to do what you do or whatever. The single biggest advantage I ever had was if you'd have met me at ten years old, I'd have said, this is what I want to do. And the having the back knowing that if you know, it's hard to make everyone has fork in the road moments, right, and it's hard to know which way to choose if you don't know where you're trying to go. But if you know that the destination for me has always been there's I want there to be one moment in time, hopefully long moment, but one moment in time where family feud style. You ask one hundred sports fans, who's the biggest sports personality in America that I win that right now, it's probably Skip Steven A Colin. Like those guys have all had it. I've never had it. Maybe I get there, Maybe I won't. I always wonder if and when that happens, will that set like willhy then say Okay, got to the goal, move on to something else. There is no doubt there has been multiple times throughout your career biggest rapper in the world, and some would argue best rapper ever total catalog. So I kind asked this earlier, but I want to drill on it for a moment. What keeps you hungry in that? Because you have other passions we're talking about it. You have a skate team, you're in fashion. We'll get into that. What keeps you hungry?
Speaker 4: Plain and simple.
Speaker 5: I've never when I look in the mirror, I have never you know, I screamed it out as a kid, I'm the.
Speaker 4: Best rapper alive.
Speaker 5: Yet I've never in my life, never yet, never yet felt that I'm satisfied.
Speaker 4: With what I'm able to do.
Speaker 5: Always want to get better, always want to get better. I am so happy this last past month. You can ask any him or be closer. I've just found out how to really navigate the computer and work put and that.
Speaker 3: So you think you're still you haven't plateaued, you think you're still getting better?
Speaker 5: What yeah, yeah, oh yeah, definitely. I mean I'm still doing seven features a week.
Speaker 3: Well, when I I had a few too many drinks one night, this having a few about six weeks ago, and this is when I knew I'm gonna be honest. This is when I knew Wayne is my actual friend, not just it's like we text about sports. I'd had a few too many cocktails. Was in an uber on the way back to the house with my lovely wife, who's sitting right there. And it was right around the time you had retweeted her boutique, which was an unbelievable moment for her. She just opened a boutique called Trinkage in New York City. Anything. It was around the same day or day after, and we're in the uber and alul Wayne song comes on because I'd had a few cocktails I'm like, you know what, I'm a FaceTime Wayne, and I called you and as soon as it started ringing, I was like, what the fuck am I doing? And I hung up and you called me right back, right back, And I said, and I won't say who you're in the studio with because I don't know if that's you know, confidential, because I hadn't come out yet.
Speaker 4: But I'll tell you.
Speaker 3: Can I say it? Bleep it if it's not supposed to know? You were doing something with Nicki? Okay, yeah, you're in the studio with NICKI doing I don't know if it was a video or a song. And you called me right back. You're like, now we're taking a break anyway, and I'm like, all right. First of all, it's eleven o'clock at night wherever it is he's working. Second of all, called me back, and I was like, all right, so Wayne, and that's what led us, you know, down this path, so one more music thing than we do sports. You know, I'm a list guy, and in hip hop, obviously there's the top five dead or alive. I'm gonna give you mine, and then are you comfortable giving me yours?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Okay, so mine would be to me, there's four no doubters, and then the fifth one people will kill me for you, Jay Pac, and up until My Beautiful, Dark Twisted Fantasy Kanye, that's those of the four. And then if people really ask me who for me. As far as enjoyment I've gotten from listening to music, TI is my fifth favorite. He doesn't have the catalog everyone has, nobody losing in the top five. Trap Music to me is one of my favorite albums. Ever, it's always rep for him. For you, what's your top five?
Speaker 4: You don't you have a big top fat.
Speaker 3: Oh so this is controversial here. So here's the thing. I don't think he made enough music. I don't think like I do give a sports analogy of it.
Speaker 4: And I and I respect that too.
Speaker 3: I think that, like I think, you know, he has two unbelievable albums, but when we're talking about the greatest and when he passed, he obviously was top five, But you hadn't made you know what I mean, you were just on the scene. Jay Z has released eight albums since then that are outstanding. I think My Beautiful, Dark Twisted Fantasy is from start to finish as good as a hip hop album, as I've ever heard, and again I understand people like Nick you have t I over Biggie. I just love the sad. I love his his album so much.
Speaker 4: So for you I Got for Me is always going to be first. Missy Elliott.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that was a huge influence of everything I've ever done. Jay Z is the best to abuman speak, and uh, Biggie obviously Biggie.
Speaker 4: Then I have I have the whole as a whole. I have Goodie mob okay yeah, and then I have ugk ugk okay.
Speaker 3: But so you don't have yourself?
Speaker 4: Oh no, I can't touch them guys.
Speaker 3: Okay, So listen, that's very humble of you. I believe that you believe that.
Speaker 4: I would never put myself in the my list.
Speaker 3: Really yeah, really quick, break right back with more with me and Lil Wayne.
Speaker 6: Hey there, Ryan Reynolds here. It's a new year, and you know what that means. No, not the diet resolutions, a way for us all to try and do a little bit better than we did last year. And my resolution, unlike Big Wireless, is to not be a raging and raise the price of wireless on you every chance I get. Give it a try at Midmobile dot Com slash Switch.
Speaker 7: Forty five dollars up front payment required equivalent to fifteen dollars per month new customers on first three month plan only, taxes and fees, extra speeds lower about forty gigabytes on unlimited seemintmobile dot com for details.
Speaker 3: Well that listen. We don't have to get super deep introspective on this, but that Another common thread of super successful people that I have met is most if I can include myself in this, most of us have a bit of a fraud complex, which is the bit of a people are gonna find me out. I'm not as good as what people say. There's a bit of a like. Other people view you as more successful than you necessarily view yourself, which keeps you. I think Brad, I think Tom Brady has it. I think there's no reason Tom Brady still be playing, but he's still I think he's still motivated by where he was, where he was drafted. All right, let's so, let's so you and I first talked sports was about football. You've stild people this before, but quickly, how did you become a Packers fan?
Speaker 4: Packers fan?
Speaker 5: Packers won a Super Bowl in New Orleans be it was like ninety six they won a Super Bowl. My dad, it was just the biggest thing to do if you're in New Orleans. My dad, he's past, but he knows nothing. I knew nothing about football. He didn't know what nothing but what he knew nothing with Saints. Okay, but Super Bowl was.
Speaker 4: In New Orleans.
Speaker 5: If you thought you had some money, you had to go to the Super Bowl. My dad went to the Super Bowl, came back home with Packers everything, towels, cups, And when you're from the hood, those aren't souvenirs. You know, you don't put those towersand cups up. You actually used it. Yeah, So every day I'm drinking the Packers cups and I'm taking showers with Packers towels and wearing Packers robes and stuff like that. So they became my favorite team. So Matt Madden came out that year, and I think brut was on the cup cover.
Speaker 3: But so if it's reasonable to say that if that ninety six NFC championship game, which I think was Niners Packers, it was that if the Niners had won and they were in that game, you might be a Niners.
Speaker 5: I don't know if it was Niners Packers because they both NFC.
Speaker 3: That NFC championship, that was a champions and not the Super Bowl. No, no, no, the Super bowls Packers, Patriots. I'm saying, if the Niners would have come out of the Super come out of the NFC to the Super Bowl, yeah, Packers, the.
Speaker 5: Whole New Orleans was already Niners fans. Yeah, because no one from them. And I swear I hate I hate these New fans, these New New Orleans Saints fans, because they know they never it was you get beat up for being a Saints fan. When I was growing up, my mama bought me a Saints starter jacket.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I cried.
Speaker 5: Because you couldn't wearkuse you buy me a Saints start well, No, and guess what she had to go back and get me the next Christmas forty nine.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and that was back man. Mid nineties. Starter jackets on the news.
Speaker 4: They were on the news. They were telling your parents.
Speaker 5: Don't let your kid if you have a starter jacket for your kids, either don't let them walk home from school with it, or either make sure you go pick your kid up at make sure your kids stand behind the gates and not outside the gate. Of school with it started jacking on out. I remember she was like, I was like, nobody ain't gonna take this one. I don't nobody, Nobody ain't gonna take this the Saint started.
Speaker 4: Nobody care about this.
Speaker 5: So yeah, So all the people that was saying that they Saints fans, now it's all good, but that ain't start that.
Speaker 4: Drew Brees got.
Speaker 3: It right, and which is the And there was a moment in time where people didn't know if the Saints was going, We're gonna be able to survive post Katrina and then Drew Brees obviously game fifteen years of greatness. So so nobody can give you for not being a Saints fan. Oh no, because they.
Speaker 5: Oh no, because they all know they they remember that they they weren't sat my, my, hed my my era of people. We came up out, you know what I mean, us, we came up and it was just that was that was that was roasting you. You know what I mean, you look like you're a Saints fan. You got those Saints colors or something that was roasting you. And before us, y'all will bags on your heads at the game.
Speaker 4: And y'all call them the ants. Yep, you know what I mean.
Speaker 5: So I don't know what is now I can understand the new up all that's cool, that's fine. Yeah, but they all understand why I'm not a Saints fan.
Speaker 3: Okay, so I'm obviously Chiefs fan. You and I are teams of something in common. In addition of the fact that you and I have a standing Super Bowl wager of five thousand dollars Packers, Chiefs. We thought it was gonna happen two years ago, but you guys fell short. Thought was gonna happen this year. We both fell short. But now we have a different commonality, which is we both traded away our number one Wise, Yeah, when you heard Davante got traded, what were you thinking?
Speaker 5: The first thing I thought about was there. I thought about car and a connection. Okay, yeah, yeah, I already knew that's what it had a lot to do with that. Yeah, already that's first thing I thought. But then I also thought, I was like, you know, the first thing you think about, what about the I thought you A ride had a deeper connection, you know what I mean? So I want the first I want to hear what A Ride had to say.
Speaker 3: And so now that now that he's at least talked a little bit on it. You good with it.
Speaker 5: I'm good with it because I know that we were just the team. In general, we make the most out of who we like. The Patriots, we make the most out of who line up.
Speaker 3: So no, I feel like I felt similar about Tyreek. The teams needed to get better on defense.
Speaker 5: Now, as far as Tyreek, I wouldn't have I mean, I wouldn't have felt, you know, and I felt like, y'all, yeah, y'all so cold man, y'all, don't I don't make to y'all. Don't need a terry, y'all, you know what I mean. That's kind of.
Speaker 3: How I feel. I feel like the offense is gonna be great as long as Mahomes is healthy, you have good offensive line. The offense should be able to thirty dollars.
Speaker 4: Gotta be able.
Speaker 3: To get some stops on defense. So I was fine. I was fine with them since they use those draft picks on defensive players and did what they need to do there. All right, I want to go to basketball for a minute here, because speaking of these wagers you did, you did bully me a bit. I'm not gonna lie in text, so I have gone out on a limb and picked the MAVs to beat the Suns. They are okay, I picked the MAVs. We can get into that in the moment, do I look? But okay, however that is and I'm a gambler. If I make that bet via book making outlet get like two and a half to one. So I'm having a thousand bucks who win twenty five hundred something like that. Wayne texts me, He's like, I got the Suns. You got the MAVs, same five thousand. I'm like, man, So I text him back. I'm like, are you giving me odds? And this guy says, I'll give you odds ten thousand, but at five thousand, it's got to be straight up And I'm like, this guy really made me fold my hands, like I don't. I don't have the financial stability you have in this regard. So are you a Suns fan or just a Chris Paul fan or what's the story there.
Speaker 5: I'm a CEP fan first, because you know, he started in New Orleans and the last season, Tickets and me CP became brothers.
Speaker 4: He is one of the greatest human beings on playing.
Speaker 5: It, or forget basketball that guy's just one of the he'd been over backwards wants if you.
Speaker 4: Become a part of his circle and not you, you.
Speaker 5: Know what I mean, just a part of his You know he loves you, okay, you That guy bends over backwards for you, just playing it simple.
Speaker 4: Just a great guy.
Speaker 5: And so just from that point on, I was always a fan no matter where he went. I became a fan of that team. But then that team, the Sons team, is totally different. He's facetiming me at the games, at the wins, and they all, you know, you could tell, see p don't do that. I've been on a CP obviously his whole career, you know, FaceTime me after no whin. They're making him do that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because younger generators, they're so excited.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 5: So I became obviously a fan, a total fan of the whole team. I think they just facetimed me. Recently, I said Devin Booker name and something I think, and someone's uh think a little she has a song.
Speaker 4: I said his name. I didn't even know. I just be saying whatever rhymes.
Speaker 5: I didn't know I say his name, But they facetimed me right out, I mean right after the win.
Speaker 4: He was just letting me hear, like, oh, so thank you man.
Speaker 3: I was like, what did I do?
Speaker 4: So?
Speaker 3: I want to ask you about that. Actually, we'll get back to the Suns in these playoffs in a minute. The list of athletes who you've named dropped in songs too long to go?
Speaker 4: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 3: But when you do it, like I assume now you realize it, But like you, how often do guys reach out to you like that that it was a bigger moment for them then you even considered when you get I got.
Speaker 4: A perfect example recently. It was this year.
Speaker 5: Cali Perry Cal. Yeah, Cal hit me with one of the messages.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 5: His message was so so so serious and so real. So I have to make sure that that's what he was talking about that I did, you know.
Speaker 4: I was like, like, is that what he's teaching? Like is he talking about me saying his name and the song?
Speaker 5: Because his message was like you don't know what it did for me? Yeah, He's like, you don't know what that's done with that, What that's done for me, what that's done for the people? You know me from a I think he was it was brought to him by a family member, probably something obviously someone probably younger that probably made them connect. When he was like, you don't know what that I really really appreciate that.
Speaker 3: Well, especially you're talking about John Calipart, Yeah, the coach. So he's in the business of finding connection points in sixteen and seventeen year olds, and so there's that that gives him some maybe credibility he wouldn't otherwise have that you're mentioning him, I felt. I think it was. So there's new relative the new song Scared Money with j cole yg and I forget even who the third person is, but regardless, I think it's the first song I ever heard. My guy, Luka Doncic's name said like, oh, like that's a crossover moment for him, like for Luca to be able to be to be in the in the music. Have you ever had somebody that you that you were a fan of, that you hadn't met, that you mentioned and that it created a connection.
Speaker 5: I think it was I want to say, I think I want to say that it would be Tyson Fury.
Speaker 4: Tyson Fury, Yeah, Tyson Fury.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he's a he think I think I may have said his names, yeah, And he was since then he's been He's a very very very religious type of you know. I mean he praised for you and let you know, he's prey.
Speaker 4: He's a real one. Another one of those good, good guys.
Speaker 3: And he's from you know, over An and like very tough upbringing. Like there's which is I always figured I don't know that I can't prove this, but one of a lot of people. You know, there used to be a joke that rappers want to be ballplayers, and ball players, sure, but what's also true is there is a well that's all right, there's a connectivity through the shared struggle of youth for a lot of a lot of NBA guys, some NFL guys, and guys in the hip hop game where listen, some guys came up super comfortable, but most of them you had to fight and claw for all of it. And once you got there, it's good to see people that were through a similar thing. So that brings me to a different question I had, which is the responsibility you feel not just for like your generation of music. That is, you know, I have a buddy who's in all alternative rock. He's on the radio, my buddy Laslo, and he say, and he's now a little some people would say he's too old to be like an old rock DJ, you know what I mean? And he said, as long as Dave Grohl is still making records, I can still be on the range, you know what I mean. Like he came up, when I came up. He's still making records, you are. There's not many people left still making records that started making records when you did. And a lot of the guys who are it's you know, they are into a in sports, we would say, a different phase of their career, you know. And so yeah, exactly, so for you, the responsibility not only to your fans, but to your generation of artists to still be at the top of your game, Like do you do you feel that? And what does that?
Speaker 5: Definitely do I feel that just playing a symbol by I've always felt that when I by, when I got when I started my own record, when I had young money and I had Nikki and Drake and it was just Onneika and Aubrey, you know what I mean? You know, I mean, I've always felt that I have to stay current. I have to stay current, I have to stay cool, I have to stay all that because I want them to see and I want them to know what it takes and I want them to know that.
Speaker 4: Okay, I don't.
Speaker 5: Want them to ever get comfortable, because I know for a fact you're going to be successful, more successful than me, because that's my that's my goal. But I don't want you to get there and get comfortable. I want you to see how I'm never comfortable.
Speaker 3: What what did you seeing.
Speaker 4: Drake just playing?
Speaker 5: Once he started, uh, they you know, he was brought to me by check this guy out. He could rap, He's from Canada and all that. So that right that was already just interesting. And when I heard what he always what I loved about Drake was when I was the first first time I heard him. There was nothing about every every song I heard, that was nothing about, you know, harming no one, you know what I mean, There was nothing about there was nothing, nothing on there try to try to sound hard, and I was like, this.
Speaker 4: Dude just made me love.
Speaker 5: I was like he could have literally wrapped about him eating cereal in the morning and going going to a corners stor at what he ate for, Like he made it sound cooler than what I'm talking about. And that right that struck me right there. I was like, so I need this guy. I was like, he could talk about it. And then what happened was a hook came on on his song.
Speaker 4: I was like, that was a nice little hook.
Speaker 5: I was like, who's that on the hook, Like that's him, and I was like, the person in the hook is singing.
Speaker 3: Dude, you know what's so funny? So me and oh gosh, Daniel shout out the name of the song. You remember. One of me and my wife's first songs is a Drake song where he raps in the beginning, or he raps the whole thing, but the chorus is singing, and it was one of Baby, You're the best, Baby You're my everything that song and man, I had listened to the song with her for probably nine months before Ian knew that was Drake Drake doing both parts, and I thought it was two different people. All right, what about Nicki? What what made you want to be in business with her?
Speaker 4: Plain and simple?
Speaker 5: Nicky was already when I was starting this late, when I had my label, I was already knew I want someone from New York playing a simple rap. I love New York playing rap comes from you. I need something never knew it would be a female.
Speaker 4: Yep, you know.
Speaker 5: And when she was, she was bought. When I've seen her and she's spinning it. She killed everything. She killed every person I had heard, who I was trying to hear, who I was, whatever I did, whatever you want to call it, auditioning I'm shopping with. She killed all that, and I was like, that's it made no she it was hands down and she's a part of the team.
Speaker 3: Quick breaks episide just for a second, come right back with a little bit more with me and Lil Wayne. All Right, So, speaking of New York. Just the other night was the Met Gala, and I know you're in the fashion world. I was. It was when I actually when I text you to see if you come on the podcast, it's like, you might be going to the Met Gala. You didn't go? Have you ever been?
Speaker 4: Never?
Speaker 3: Why not?
Speaker 4: I've never been invited.
Speaker 3: So I feel like you just get to show up. I feel like people like me need an invite. I feel like if you show up in your dress, you get to go. Who like Odell gets to go?
Speaker 4: Like I feel like Odell's a bit more into fashion than I.
Speaker 3: But so what the I feel like that's still some world you're interested in. Am I making that up?
Speaker 4: No? Not at all, not at all. I have online. Yeah, yeah, well that's.
Speaker 3: What I'm saying. So I was good. This is my opportunity of me asking you to tell the audience about your fashion line.
Speaker 4: So my line is I have a few. I have a few.
Speaker 5: The line I'm starting right now is called me. Okay, find and simple in me, and then I have a few more. And then also if you go on my Instagram, you'll find out that only follow one person, and that would be the.
Speaker 4: Beautiful Miss Tailing Bigs.
Speaker 5: And she's this little, beautiful, little talented little girl. But if you go into her page and see how much she's into fashion, okay, and she made she probably was at the meg galland she had school or something, but yeah, but she does. She's she she did Fashion Week. She's she was the only person on the red carpet doing interviews that all the all the models come to because just because of how small and beautiful she is, she creates own everything and right now when it comes to fashion, and she's who are she's everything about her right now?
Speaker 3: Okay, And so with the when you're lying me comes out I happen to have a connection to an up and coming boutique in Harlem that I'm sure would love to feature items.
Speaker 5: Trust me, I was gonna call you first, Okay, so that'll be great.
Speaker 3: And then there's one other thing that I wanted to ask you about, which is a world I know nothing about. But you have a skate team. It's called Squad, but it's spelled with a V instead of a U. I think, but so, what why'd you get into it? Would tell me about it?
Speaker 4: So I was watching this show. It was a show called camp Wood where.
Speaker 5: There's a place called camp Wood where and it was just like a reality show about the place. So I start, you know, you just get into a show. You start watching it every day, watching it every day. And they had a kid on their named Alex Middler and he was a kid then he was skating kill like having the time, and I was like, he's having the time in his life.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna try it.
Speaker 5: And by me watching the show every day, stuff feeling like you know you, stuff feeling could do that, and I want to do that. I like call my homie, like y'all want to skate park? Put it on the roof I had a big roof in my house in Miami. The house I'm not not the house I'm living in. That house before I was living had a big ass roof. I was like, man, I put a skate park on the roof. That's because I knew. I had no idea what skating was. So, you know, I was like, put her, I want a ramp. It seems dangerous, not knowing that, not knowing that skating obviously has different styles, and so I just only knew Sean White and Tony Hawk.
Speaker 4: I know them from skating the ramp.
Speaker 5: So with that said, I learned how to skate all three styles because I didn't know that. It all took that. I learned how to skate. That's burket. I learned how to skate vert. And then I got tired of that called the same guy, like I want to do something else, Like I'm tired of watching Alex jump off of stairs and stuff. I need some stairs and some rails, And so he built me. He built me the whole, the whole thing. So, because therefore you skating ramps and then you're also skating in the street, which would be stay and reel and all that, and so obviously arranged too much in Miami, and so that's when I called him and was like, I need an indoor park. So once I got the indoor park, they put everything in there. So I learned how to skate the bowls, the pools and all that type of stuff. And now I'm I couldn't and I'm into it. And the guy that taught me is from New York Adam Z. I went on line back then just was like, man, how to skate? You know, like I need to learn some more than what I'm learning by myself. The guy that was building the park, he's just watching me on the skateboard one day, you know, I'm standing on the skate as he's building.
Speaker 4: He came over there was like, you was just joking, right.
Speaker 5: I was like, what you mean, like now when you was on the skateboard just now you was playing around or something. I was like, what do you mean you know what? He was like, that's how you skate. I was like, I can't skate.
Speaker 4: I'm learning. He was like, why am I building this? And I was like, I'm going to learn.
Speaker 5: He was like you can't skate and we're building, Like I'm building, Like this is professional like, I know, oh, I'm going to learn all that, and he was like, so he will come an hour before he would start learning how to He would start building and start teaching me a little few things. He would make me put on helmet everything, so he would make me do twenty five different angles and push me into the ramp so I could fall twenty five different ways.
Speaker 3: So you learn how to fall first.
Speaker 5: Yeah, like, I'm gonna teach try to fall. I'm not trying to teach you how to skatee. He would also remind me, I'm gonna push you twenty five ways. By the end of this, I'm probably gonna been to push you twenty five thousand ways.
Speaker 4: I want you to understand.
Speaker 5: Something when you start skating, You're not gonna fall, not one of these ways. Like what like, I'm just teaching you how to fall. So when I went online, found a guy named Adam z in New York who was just he was just filming hisself, like, you know, this is how you do this, this is how you do that. We got into touch with the guy. Yeah, we got a little Wayne trying to skatee. Man, you're really serious about this, do you mind teaching him? He was like, man, I got nothing else to do. We moved them to Miami. Wow, we moved them to Miami. And that's how I really turned how to skate because he was there every day with me, taught me how to do everything. He knew it, you know, I mean, And that was that. And he passed recently from cancer. But when he did, I tell you know, I would never put a board down after that. I would never put the board down just because you know, I mean.
Speaker 3: That's amazing. Yeah, all right, we're short on time. It's one last thing I want to say. It's a question, but it's also saying it because of how much I think you mean to sports community, music community. I think I think I saw you do an interview. It was sixty minutes interview A long time ago, Katie Kirk, and I was like, I mean, this is probably twelve years ago. Yeah, I remember where I was. I was at my buddy turknic brides house, so he used to play for the chiefs now losing California businessman there. I watched the interview online. I was like, oh, this guy's a genius. No, but like it, it don't necessarily always get that with things, but like I was like, oh he is. He's operating on a different level in his space. And with that comes the responsibility that you know what I mean to the community, to the culture, to all of it. Are you taking care of yourself? Of course you are.
Speaker 4: I have to okay.
Speaker 3: People people who people who don't know you love you and care about you and worry about it in a different way, and people who do know you do so you're taking care of yourself. To appreciate you.
Speaker 4: Thank you, I really appreciate you, man, Thanks for having me.
Speaker 3: Thank you. This is an absolute joy and honor.
Speaker 4: Always wanted to talk, man, always.
Speaker 3: That's great. And by the way, that Sun's bet is not gonna have I like.
Speaker 4: You already know about to watch bro. They got they so focused on.
Speaker 3: The focus and I picked Luca, but I have.
Speaker 5: Any And look you a man, I don't even know if he's going. I don't even know if he come back if we get that man.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it makes sense.
Speaker 5: Man, man, he's they so folked and you know him and Monty been together. Yeah, I know many it was him Manty and that ref the referee man matter, that Scott the referee. The ball had refugee Strong. His name like Mark something Mark, David Oh, yeah, all three of us. Yeah, we was I know him, it was all it would be all three of us.
Speaker 3: Oh really that was back when David West.
Speaker 4: David West, Yeah, David West, David West, Yeah, the whole night back then.
Speaker 3: Well, this is great. I think we'd take a couple of pictures and get out. Let's do it all right, there's today's show. I'd say it was success. First ever show with the guests. Who was Lil Wayne. We have to now get a better guest next so I'm not really sure where that leaves us, but we'll, you know, we'll do our best there. Otherwise, we'll be back to the regular schedule with programming next week with the Monse back in the co seat and this Sunday remember special episodes of the fifth Players the Last fifty Years and What's Right with Nick Right podcast and YouTube show, So check that out as we are moving into the top thirty and top thirty five players of the last fifty years in the NBA. All of that on What's Right with Nick Right