Speaker 1: Everybody.
Speaker 2: It's spilled courtney from an army of normal folks. Welcome into the shop. Hi, Alex, Hello Belle, shop talk one hundred and ten. What happened on hundred ten years ago?
Speaker 3: Outs it was nineteen sixteen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I actually could do the bath this time.
Speaker 4: I should have looked up the pronunciation of this, because they're gonna sound like an idiot. Is it the Battle of the sum I don't know spell it s mmeme a battle of s o me no, s mme. Oh, we're gonna sound like real idiots here after what I'm about to say, it doesn't matter. By the end of the battle, more than one million casualties on both sides.
Speaker 1: Was this World War One?
Speaker 3: And yet we don't how to pronounce it?
Speaker 2: Those idiots a million casualties, unbelievable.
Speaker 4: And then the Battle of Verdon, I'm doing how to pronounce that, but seven hundred thousand people died there.
Speaker 1: World War one.
Speaker 2: You know, people talk about Vietnam and all of that, because obviously we started having cameras and all, but that trench warfare and World War One was disgusting, and they barely gained any land. They just killed each other. I have nothing to add okay, Shop Talk one ten, I quit what had to die so the work could live. Right after these brief messages from our general sponsors, Everybody's shop Talk number one ten, I quit what had to die so the work could live.
Speaker 1: This is from Eric Locksmo.
Speaker 3: Yeah you got it. We feature it several times.
Speaker 1: I know, I just I'm so. You know. It's how some words you just get a brain block on it.
Speaker 2: But Eric Loxmoe in his newsletter Out of Wild, I'm done. I'm done playing piano in the brothel and expecting things to change. What are great open? Here's the summary. I quit the applause. Applause is cotton candy. It fills you for an hour and leaves you unsatisfied and hungry. I want to make things that would be worth making in an empty room at midnight, with no one watching but the creator. I quit the Inner Ring. C. S. Lewis is right. There's always a circle just past the one you're in, and the longing to be insight.
Speaker 1: It will eat your life. I will not.
Speaker 2: Trade my convictions for a seat at the table that moves every time I get close. I quit the algorithm. I will not chop my thinking to fit a feed. The feed forgets everything by morning. I want to make things that would still mean something in fifty years or five hundred, or never reat at all. I quit the swagger, the posturing, the performance of confidence. It's a costume and costumes itch. I'd rather walk lighter and lesser and tell the truth. I quit the latter. Envy is the thief of every good thing. Someone is always further along, someone is always behind, pulling you down. Neither has anything to do with the work in front of me. I quit the money first, not money, money first. When money leads, beauty follows it into the ditch. I'd rather make something good and be paid late than make something cheap and be paid now. I quit waiting for permission. No one is coming. There's no gatekeeper holding of a key. The permission was given a long time ago by something older than the industry. I quit the urgency. Most of what calls itself urgent is just loud. The deep things are quiet, The eternal things wait. I will work at the pace of a tree, not a notification.
Speaker 1: I quit being interesting, and interesting is in quotations.
Speaker 2: And I love how lately, whenever we talk about somebody that we like we say they're interesting. I love this. I quit being interesting. Interesting is a trick of the surface. I'd rather be true.
Speaker 1: True.
Speaker 2: Age is well, interesting goes stale by Thursday. I quit the gurus, the frameworks, the funnels, the five step past to a life no one's selling them is actually living. I trust the older books. They've outlasted everything. I quit explaining myself. The work is the explanation. If it needs a thread to defend it, it wasn't ready. Let the things stay or fall on its own. I quit hoarding the notebook of somebody, the folder of Allmost ideas are not currency until they're finished. I'll give them away or let them go. I quit the identity writer, creator frownder. The label becomes a cage and then a coffin. I'm a person who wants to see others go forward and far. That is enough, that has always been enough. I quit the temporal, the trending, the timely, the hot take that cools by dinner. I want to work toward what doesn't change, the human heart, the longing for home, the ache for something just out of reach we never quite been able to name. I quit the small self, the timid one, the one who flinches, the one who creates what's safe, because the true thing might cost something. I'd rather pay the cost the piano can stay. I'm walking out.
Speaker 1: I love that, y'all.
Speaker 2: Eric's writing is at Ouda Wilde's dot substack dot com.
Speaker 1: I think, oh, I'm sorry, You're right. I d l e w I l d I s.
Speaker 2: Out of wild is at substack dot com.
Speaker 1: And this is what the third one of these third or fourth.
Speaker 2: But Eric's thoughtful, and he he he will occasionally read these things that he that he writes that are lists of thoughts that are independent, but as you intertwine them together, you often get the idea.
Speaker 1: That he's evoking. And I'm done.
Speaker 2: I'm done playing the piano in the brothel an expecting things to change. And I think the whole point to this is we need to be done with with chasing what social media and today's culture and society says we need to be and how we need to act, and constantly feeling empty because we're never able to fully reach what today's culture and society says we need to be. So he's done playing the piano in the broth and expecting things to change. And I think his challenge here is to is to get back to the basics. Quit the swagger, quit the posturing, quit the algorithm. Quit trying to get into the next ring. Quit worrying about applause. Quit worrying about climbing the ladder. Make sure money doesn't define you. Quit waiting for permission. Do what you knows right. Quit being quote interesting, Just be true, be authentic. Quit the gurus, the famebrook the funnels, the five steps, trust the older books. Quit explaining yourself. Just do right. Quit hoarding everything like ideas and money, share. Don't worry about the identity. Just be who you are. Don't worry about what's trending and timely, worry about what's time tested. And don't be the small self. Don't be timid, don't be the one who flinches. Do all of these things, and don't worry about what culture society in today's world says about it. The piano can stay, I'm walking out. That's good stuff.
Speaker 4: It reminds me of the line like, just run your own race, don't worry about everybody else. I'm just in a race with alex in trying to be the best version of myself. And also the quote that comparison is the thief of joy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's good stuff. That's true. You know, Alex, that's interesting. I'm just kidding. Yeah, that comment makes you interesting. It's just real. It's good stuff, all right, everybody. That's shop Talk number one ten. Uh. If you enjoyed it, please share it friends on a social Actually, guys, go to Oda Wilde's dot substack dot com.
Speaker 4: I wild is dot substack dot is.
Speaker 2: Out of wildness. Out of wildness is what I said, like an idiot. Back to shop talk number one or nine. I'm sorry I screwed up. Out of wild is substack dot com and read more of veric stuff.
Speaker 1: It at the very least, is very very thought.
Speaker 2: Provoking, and I I'm glad we do it every once a while because I find it really interesting. Yeah. If you enjoy this episode, rate review it, share friends, subscribe to the podcast. Join the army at normal Folks dot us, join a club, buy some merch all the things, all the things that can help us grow an army of normal folks. That's shop Talk number one ten. Thanks for joining us. We'll see you next week.