Speaker 1: So Blake Lively has landed in a bit of hot water. It is the perfect storm. It is the convergence of so many things happening at once. It is a cautionary tale with many many lessons. So, first and foremost, Blake Lively and Ryan Reynolds are beloved. They are presented as perfection. When people tell you how incredible you are and really just worship you individually and as a couple, you are going to lean into that.
Speaker 2: I mean, she is the star, She is a princess.
Speaker 1: She hosts the met gala and lands the role and the outfit and the glowy makeup and the long blonde hair, and her best friend is the most famous woman on the planet Earth. And she has beautiful children, and everything she.
Speaker 2: Says is just always idolized.
Speaker 1: And she was on a show playing the role of the most popular girl in school for years, and she likely was the most popular girl in.
Speaker 2: Her own school for years.
Speaker 1: And she starred in this movie that's about domestic violence. The poster doesn't look as serious as the movie is, and her press about the role is very girly and flippant and very floral and just kind of marketing what people perceive as a rom com when it's such a serious topic. Now, it's not entirely relevant that I grew up in a domestic violentine. But I did, and I do see the severity of it, and I do realize what people are saying is cringe about her saying that your whole life can't be summed up by domestic violence, because in many ways, it can be summed up by domestic violence, because it's not something you can separate. It's part of your being, your fiber, it's part of your quilt. I have issues sexually as a result of my violent home.
Speaker 2: I have issues in relationship. I have issues trusting men.
Speaker 1: I have a myriad of issues in my life that will never ever go away as a result of my childhood. I'm sure she didn't realize that maybe she didn't deeply connect with this role. Some people may play a role but not really understand the extent of it.
Speaker 2: I was in a lifetime movie.
Speaker 1: I stuck the landing, and I think I did well, But I don't know that I, in my every fiber of my being, understood or felt the role. But I'm not a professional actress. I was just happy to have accomplished what I accomplished. She also is someone who is a celebrity in twenty twenty four, which is very different. I remember the first time I saw Jennifer Aniston promoting vitamin water and I thought, oh, because celebrities traditionally stay in their marketing lane. They're marketing films, they're marketing television. They know how to do press junkets. They know how to do the Today Show and the Good Morning America tour. They know how to market a book. But when you get into merchandising, marketing and branding, it's a different game. I was one of the first to monetize a media platform in a different way. And I was the first in the cocktail space, with many to follow, including George Clooney and Ryan Reynolds. After George Clooney and Blake Lively and Jennifer Lopez and many people who have failed at it, and Justin Timberlay and Nicki Minaj and Polly d and the list goes on and on.
Speaker 2: But that's only one category. Blake has a haircare brand.
Speaker 1: Blake also has a cocktail brand or a brand that sells in liquor stores. So now she has kids, she's married, they're both promoting their movies. She's going out on the Red carpet has America's Sweetheart, So she's going on the Red carpet, and she's doing a full press tour, and she's been advised or pressured by her partners or she herself thought it was a good idea, and I could see how the machine got swirling where she's going to be out promoting.
Speaker 2: She has a platform, she has a megaphone. I've been there.
Speaker 1: You're doing an article for Forbes magazine and you're gonna talk about your cocktail're gonna talk about your children's book. You're going to talk about this, and you could talk about be strong in charity. I mean, that's what publicists advise, that's what gets discussed. Reporters are total questions to ask, not to ask what they want people to focus on, and then you're off up to your own devices. Now they're showing a lot of her former interviews, and I don't think she's an excellent interviewee, not everybody is. The game is moving quickly. You're doing a number of interviews. Your brain has to think faster than your mouth, and you have to stay the course with the task that you are working on and think about the next question, think about what you said before if you mess something up, and think about what you're promoting, and try to not say too much but still be enchanting and interesting and charming. And it's something that people are very scared about. I just talked to someone who was asked to do a very big, popular podcast and she's scared. And I couldn't believe she was scared. But now thinking about all of this, I see why she's scared. So she's out there, like other celebrities in twenty twenty four, trying to market everything. So she's marketing her cocktail, her movie, she's marketing her relationship, her kids, she's marketing her haircare now available at Target. But she's losing the plot in realizing that she's there to market a movie about a very sensitive topic, which is domestic violence. And you can't mix domestic violence in at the checkout stand with bubblegum and hairspray and condoms like it stands alone. And it could be an anecdote that she has these other things, but people are saying that there is a pop up. But this is also twenty twenty four and the land of social media. And the land of being public is very different and people are not accepted in the same way as before. People's what fans believed to be bs or people's kool aid is not being drunk in the same way. People are not consuming celebrity the way that they used to. It doesn't work in politics anymore. It can kill a campaign. In my opinion, for celebrities to think that they are going to move the vote. I think it's very self involved. I think it's very entitled. I think it's very pretentious. I just don't think it's what twenty twenty four is about. And celebrities are extremely self important people. They continue to think that they move the needle, and I think that that's something that everybody needs to realize, is that they're not. In Hollywood in general doesn't move the needle as much as it used to. A powerful person on Wall Street makes fifty times more than the most powerful person in Hollywood, But the most powerful person in Hollywood who has an assistant and runs calls and goes to get a litle scholar chop salad.
Speaker 2: Believes their own bullshit. So moving right along.
Speaker 1: We saw this with Jennifer Lopez for the first time she wasn't the beloved diva queen. She wasn't that queen. Because what happened. She was marketing her skincare. She was more marketing her cocktail. She was marketing her relationship. She was marketing her two movies. She was marketing an album and a tour, and the fans said basta. They just didn't want it, and they felt waterboarded, they felt like they were being fed goose fat, and they just all rebelled and it shut down a musical tour. And I'm sure she's had a rough time, you know, unbraiding a relationship at the same time as unbraiding the demise of a career. But people are not tolerating the way that they used to. And in addition, Blake and Ryan have been put on a pedestal, a pedestal that we put them on.
Speaker 2: They are the bride and groom on.
Speaker 1: The top of the cake. They are perfect. Everything they do is perfect. And when you are at the top of your game, and when you are on a pedestal like an Ellen, like a j Lo, like these people that are mega stars, like an Oprah, like Dwayne the Rock Johnson, whoever it is, the higher you are the bigger the pedestal is the further or farther, and the harder you're going to fall. And people have these deep seated feelings about people, and that's you know, And what is unfortunate is quote unquote I don't believe in cancelation anymore. It's just having a very bad run. Unless there's something illegal, I don't believe in it. But cancelation, you know, people will say is getting canceled. It's not permanent. Cancelation is negative. It's a moment in time, it's a feeding frenzy. It's parasitic. It's really not positive. Like I said, I don't know Blake Lively or Ryan, and I'm going to say the benefit of doubt is that they're lovely people. I had Justin Baldoni on my podcast. Their movie is getting a lot of pr I don't know if that's translating into sales. But I don't believe in people being dragged. But I do believe in cautionary tales and learning lessons from people that are getting dragged.
Speaker 2: That's what I really do believe in. After walk to the faster, to the faster
Speaker 1: Back to the faster,