Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news. Charles Evans, former Chicago FED president. I'm so pleased to say joining us now, Charles, thank you so much for being here. I want to start with really the debate that we've been having on the show this morning, which is is the FED behind the heart curve or ahead of the curve if they cut rates in September.
Speaker 2: Well, good morning.
Speaker 3: That that is a great question, and you know, I think the Fed is in a is in an okay place right now. I think that they have spent a lot of their time indicating that they need confidence that the inflation is going to be on a sustainable path to get to two percent inflation, and I think that's a stiff performance. Bar I think back in January they were nervous that so many people thought that many rape cuts were ahead, and then the inflation path that the first quarter was bumpy. But things are they appear to be much better. The last press conference, J. Powell indicated that inflation probably gross was welcome, and you know, everybody's expecting a.
Speaker 2: Better number this morning.
Speaker 3: So I think they're in a position where they can respond to the improving inflation data. And you know, the normalization in the labor market and a bit of nervousness with the fact that unemployment has gone up. But I think it's time for them to, you know, really start talking more about how they're going to act and than actually act.
Speaker 1: You know, Charles, you have the luxury right now of not actually having to represent the Fetcher reserve, and you could talk about what your impression is of market positioning. So let's go there. The fact that the market has pretty much full confidence that the FED is going to cut at least three times, probably four times this year, one hundred basis points of rate. Because we were speaking earlier with Justin dear Cole, who basically was saying, why there is no sign that they should be cutting rates given the fact that the economy still is strong and the labor market hasn't turned over, what's the argument to go now, given that we're not seeing a negative print on a job list, on jobs creations.
Speaker 3: Well, the funds rates at a restrictive rate of five point three percent. They set that in July of last year, and inflation has come down, so by its real measure, it's only gotten tighter since they took those actions. Inflation has come down If you look at a bunch of benchmark policy rules that the FED looks at, they don't follow them necessarily. I mean, they certainly don't follow them in lockstep, but they're a guide as to where a policy likely would.
Speaker 2: Be headed, and they are far south of where we are right now. I think I saw something where John.
Speaker 3: Taylor said that his rule says that the FED should be about four percent. That's quite a long ways. J. Powell has said that the labor market is normalizing, and they seem to have more confidence that the labor market is only normalizing and not doing worse than that. Even though the unemployment rate has gone up, it's four point three percent now. Maybe the most recent increase was for some positive factors like increases in labor force, but it is increased by substantially deployment rate. Usually it does. It either goes up or it goes down, and when it's going up, it usually keeps going up. And so it would be quite sensible from a risk management standpoint to sort of take an initial action and step down somewhat from the restrictive level of five point three percent.
Speaker 4: Along with what they should be doing, there's also a matter of what they should be saying, and at least from the more hawkish members. Bowman Boston kind of pushing back saying, we need more evidence. Charles, you take this view that your fellow peers that they aren't guiding well at this moment. What would it look to be guiding better? What would you want to hear from the FOMC at this moment?
Speaker 3: Well, I think so the FED is really relied on this rhetoric that they're not about to cut rates until they have confidence, confidence that inflation is going to come down, come down sustainably, come down sustainably to two percent.
Speaker 2: The FED doesn't have a lot of.
Speaker 3: Experience with maintaining sustainable two percent inflation. We kept inflation under two percent at one of three quarters for a number of years. If that's the definition of sustainable, then I can understand why they need the restrictive stance of policy.
Speaker 2: In order to be confident.
Speaker 3: But I don't think that's what they really mean, or they should mean. And I think that the you know, the increase in the unemployment rate has got to make you a little bit nervous at five point three percent. The FED doesn't have a lot of history of being able to they don't have any history of being able to cut the funds rate at a measured pace in these twenty five basis point increments on a quarterly.
Speaker 2: Pace that the SEPs have.
Speaker 3: What you have more likely to peak funds rate like this is January two thousand and one, where all of a sudden they realized they needed to be nimble and cut by one hundred basis points within two weeks. In January two thousand and eight, where we cut by one hundred and twenty five basis points in the course of two weeks as well. And so I think it's just risk management that you would want to step off of this really quite restrictive five point three percent stance and as nimbly as possible communicate that this is just sort of a readjustment and you've still got your eyes on getting inflation down. It's just you don't need as much restrictiveness as they have in place now.
Speaker 4: Well, one of the kind of criticisms that's lobbed at the current FOMC is this idea of recency bias that they were behind when it came to try and combat inflation on the way up. So that sort of scars from that moment means that they don't cut as soon. Charles, you've been in the room where these decisions have being made. Do you think there's any credence to that argument.
Speaker 3: I think that, you know, one part people uphold and saying, you know, you need to be humble. If it needs to be humble, there's a lot of uncertainty out there. I think part of humility is being embarrassed when things didn't go the way that you thought they did. And so when inflation went up to seven percent on the PCE, and I was part of this and the committee, and I was saying, this looks like it's transitory. It's you know, it's not going to last. It's not you know, it was persistent, it was very persistent, but it has come down. It's kind of come down without unemployment going up. The playbook normally would have been, you you really need a downturn in order to get inflation down from seven percent. We'ren't two and a half percent on the PCE core PCE. That's that's remarkable, and it's because of an unwinding of the supply factors. And so I think that it is difficult to look.
Speaker 2: Past the fact that they I think they had their eyes on the ball. I think J.
Speaker 3: Powell and increasing the punts right very quickly in twenty twenty two got ahead of the curve. Certainly got on top of the curve better than the other for in central banks. But it's hard to give up on this idea that you let inflation get away from you in twenty twenty two.
Speaker 2: Gosh, start it.
Speaker 3: It just got to get it down to two point zero, and it's got to be sustainable. I think that's very aggressive, but that seems to be what they're thinking about. I'm not in the room with them, and I'm trying to understand from their communications what they really mean by the sustainable two percent, and I think they could use some clarifying on that.
Speaker 1: Charles Evans, former Chicago FED president, Thank you