Speaker 1: Hello, Hello, Hello, Hey, what's up guys?
Speaker 2: Oh my god, Welcome to the Unofficial Expert Podcast with Sydney and Marie.
Speaker 3: Oh my goodness, my voice is done.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, but do you hear mine? Does mine sound? Here? We go?
Speaker 2: This is Marie and this is ce Sydney. Okay, we almost sounded like the one the same person.
Speaker 4: I know. Well, sometimes when we talk, people can't tell the difference until one of us says something nice, and then they're like, Sidney.
Speaker 3: No, actually I've been getting really mean.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh my god, I've been getting They're like, yo, you hanging out with Marie way too much.
Speaker 4: I'm so proud, proud.
Speaker 3: Sometimes you don't even have to start me off. I start off me and I won Sydney, Sydney.
Speaker 2: Elizabeth, Oh my goodness, what were you an expert in this week?
Speaker 1: Marie?
Speaker 3: This week, I was an expert at being a good friend.
Speaker 4: Okay, and that's not something that I'm usually an expert at, but I was an expert at that. Because I got on a bus for someone's birthday part. I got on a bus to DC, well from d C, but to come back to New York. But I went all the way to Washington d C. To be somebody's friend and help them celebrate their.
Speaker 2: Birthday, and that's something you would never First of all, we got a ride there. We were first we were gonna pay for a bus.
Speaker 4: Well, let's tell them the whole story. Then let's give them all of the tea. We had to go to New Jersey for this ride. So like, that's that. Like, if I'm going to New Jersey, I really like you, okay, because I don't even like I wouldn't even go to Jersey for myself. All right, somebody was like meet me to hobok and I'd be like, no, lose my number.
Speaker 5: Who's this?
Speaker 2: Can we talk about how I got no sleep that night? I got no sleep. I went to work, and then from work I went to the diner and then went to New Jersey.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and then you went to Washington, d C. Right.
Speaker 3: I think I'm being a good friend with you as well.
Speaker 4: Uh, yeah you are, because Sydney text me at seven o'clock in the morning the day we were supposed to leave and like I'm ready to call the whole thing off, and I was like, well, I'm packing now, so let me know if I need to put these shoes in or not.
Speaker 2: I called you twice, so it was like, bitch, if you're at the gym right now, I'm killing you.
Speaker 4: I know.
Speaker 3: She was so mad.
Speaker 4: I was sleeping. I didn't get. I didn't get a ton of sleep that night either, But I wow, I forgot I had on an eyeliner.
Speaker 3: Anyway, my face looks crazy now.
Speaker 4: But I I packed. I like to pack it right before I leave, otherwise forget something. I mean, I always forget something anyway. But I had to go to the store and get pillows. So I'm traveling with like this giant Ikia bag with pillows in it. I look like I'm running away from home to New Jersey. So I look like I was running back home. I don't know, but I we were up really early. We get there, and then the girl who were supposed to meet.
Speaker 3: Was late, right she almost didn't make the train. Listen.
Speaker 4: It was a whole weekend of watching people drink Hennessee and judging him and thinking, you know what, my life is not that bad. That was the whole weekend. I just want to go home and sleep in a real bit.
Speaker 2: Me and Marie were in an air mattress togethers and we only had one blanket, so I'm wrapped up like a burrito.
Speaker 4: Marie's literally falling off the air. Match has her butt on me the entire weekend. I was like sis, but but I had that down.
Speaker 3: I had him on though.
Speaker 4: I I was like slide down and uh. The whole weekend was like themed. She had like a night we all had to wear black, and then a brunch we had to wear nude or blush.
Speaker 3: Was too much.
Speaker 4: You were like, we're being good friends.
Speaker 2: I was like, black people, come on you, the color Coordnation all this, like the boats.
Speaker 3: Can we can we do something simple?
Speaker 1: Dinner? Dinner, maybe a movie, drinks?
Speaker 4: No, I don't want to go to a movie on my birthday? What?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 3: Maybe a movie?
Speaker 4: Wow? Well, you can't plan my bachelorette party. Whenever I settle down.
Speaker 2: I'm like, hey, I got that Netflix account, let's watch a movie for Marie's birthday.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 1: Well, you know what.
Speaker 4: I couldn't trust my sister to playing my bachelorette either, because she'd be like, we're gonna go to the gym and we're gonna do dlts and then you're gonna get married, your meal, prep for the wedding, and then that's it. Anyway. So that's what I was an expert in this week I was an expert at being a good friend in another state, watching people drink brown liquor just brown juice. Sid, what were you an expert at?
Speaker 3: What was that expert in?
Speaker 2: Honestly, I'm tapped out of expertises because I'm just going through too much, Like.
Speaker 3: That whole DC trip, that back to back Miami DC.
Speaker 2: My account is like, where are you going and what are you doing with yourself?
Speaker 1: Yeah? We did.
Speaker 4: We did just get back from Miami and I was in Montreal right before that. I mean, I ain't spend any money there, but like I was there.
Speaker 2: I'm an expert in not spending my money wisely at all. We were using so many ubers like Uber hit me up, like, Sis, you can't take the bus, SI.
Speaker 3: Here's a metric card. We enclosed it in this envelope. Please use this sis, you know.
Speaker 4: And we were with the girls that we were partying with this weekend. They just kept saying the word cis over again, like Sis, you good cis. So we just were adapting it for this podcast. You know what?
Speaker 2: Wait, hold on, I feel like what was I an expert in? I was an expert in taking photos with your black ass. Oh yes, you were very good at that because you came with your abs ready and I said, our abs are looking outstanding.
Speaker 3: Someone was like, I don't.
Speaker 1: See your abs.
Speaker 4: Cis said, where are yours? Did you leave them back in New York?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was on that megabus, the mega bus going back to.
Speaker 3: Did you leave your abs at the Chick fil A rest stop?
Speaker 2: Listen, I'm always here for if my friend is shining, I'm shining too, So I just do I play my part. I do my one move, I do that one faith and I'm like, I'm.
Speaker 3: Here, I've arrived.
Speaker 2: We got like three hundred and fifty likes on Facebook, like.
Speaker 4: That's some light, you know, some little that's all.
Speaker 2: That one picture we had back from from Miami was like six hundred likes.
Speaker 1: I said, damn, yeah, Well.
Speaker 4: You know what it is is people don't really my body in New York, so they think that I in fact, I actually don't know what people think about my body. But I also don't care. I know that when I need to bring it out, it's always on time.
Speaker 2: Yes it is okay, And then like Sidney, we already see yoho ass all the time be but ass naked.
Speaker 3: We don't care.
Speaker 4: They're like, Sinna, you missed a spot on your ass cheek.
Speaker 3: I stay with an ass.
Speaker 4: She throw some cream on that.
Speaker 3: I had my kid my kitten wedges eat Yo, Sidney.
Speaker 4: Okay, you know what I feel like, that's the perfect place to bring this guest in because a kitten wedge is something that this person I believe would never wear. Okay, but we'll ask her when we introduce her our guest, Sidney, do you want to introduce her?
Speaker 3: Yes, she's a great friend of ours.
Speaker 2: She's been on our Walmart show many of times, actually the first show we actually did.
Speaker 3: She's a stand up comedian. Yes, she does voiceover work.
Speaker 2: She has frequent file flyer miles right, she don't take the megabus. Yeah, she's stay on a plane. She was a host Advice News, give it up for Michelle Just she's our model expert.
Speaker 5: Timshell, Hello, ladies, thanks for the intro.
Speaker 1: But I've never been a host of vers News.
Speaker 4: Vice But yeah, yeah, yeah, just see. I knew it wasn't but like I didn't want to. I didn't want to step on my partner's toes.
Speaker 1: But no, that's okay.
Speaker 3: That's why you're here to correct my black ass. I'm fine with that.
Speaker 4: Michelle, how are you doing? First of all, let's talk about what Michelle looks like. She has on a head wrap. But it's like very very experts expertly rapped if I try to.
Speaker 1: Do that about the head wrap.
Speaker 5: So it's all about the fabric really, because I'm always getting asked like, oh, how did you do a head wrap? And it is this is no, there's nothing expertise about this other.
Speaker 1: Than the fabric.
Speaker 3: It's kind of fair is that it's just some cotton.
Speaker 1: But it's just like you know, it's just like the right kind of start. She's stiff so.
Speaker 5: And linen vibes and then it will stay in. How much you pay for that, Michelle? Does it?
Speaker 4: Cindy, you were wrapping your hair for a while. What happened with that?
Speaker 1: You have to real regal you know how much that rap was?
Speaker 2: That rap was thirty five dollars thirty five So it's not an everyday rap.
Speaker 1: It's like special occasion.
Speaker 4: It's just for a wedding.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't want to get us.
Speaker 2: I don't want to sweat it out with my like, uh train sweat thirty.
Speaker 1: I mean you could probably like whatsh it and stuff.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't want to wear it out. Thank you, Michelle.
Speaker 3: You got a butterfly wing.
Speaker 2: Listen, if you wash it then it fades and I hate a faded ass wrap.
Speaker 3: I hate that.
Speaker 1: I like the color to be deep. Do you hate it more than clean? Do you you rather be?
Speaker 3: You rather be vibrantly dirty? Michelle? I don't know if you a gift or you are hosting with Marie's.
Speaker 4: Well, see, Michelle is also a comic, so she's she's here. You know she's here.
Speaker 3: She's a black woman. She's gonna come, She's gonna come.
Speaker 1: Correct, Yeah, you're.
Speaker 3: Right, Michelle.
Speaker 4: Also, Michelle's eyebrows are on points. Do you draw those in? Is that natural?
Speaker 1: Goddamn obsessed with my eyebrows.
Speaker 5: I won't wear like no makeup or no none that I'm I will spend five minutes just feeling them.
Speaker 3: In perfectly, so you only feel in your eyebrows.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's it and leave the rest.
Speaker 1: I got this massive you know, look at this forehead just like head is great, it's very modelish, like bouncing before.
Speaker 3: It has given me like model realness for.
Speaker 5: Man, So I feel like, I need a brow in between the otherwise I would look.
Speaker 2: Like some sort of you know, so wait, well your face is there standing there.
Speaker 3: All you have to worry about is your brows. You know, have the privilege of that.
Speaker 1: That's crazy.
Speaker 3: Listen to you.
Speaker 4: I have a contour and that's some ore on this.
Speaker 1: She's like, but look at your face.
Speaker 5: I've just been sitting here watching you girls and cook, trying not to be a pervert, but basically I was just like, what a great sight.
Speaker 4: For me, these bums. Look at those bum bum.
Speaker 1: Well that's why.
Speaker 2: That's how I first met you, Michelle. I was trying to pick you up and don't open my head.
Speaker 5: Well, I'm so bored of you saying this, Like, do you know how insulting it is? Said you bought a burger for yourself and shared.
Speaker 1: It with me. I bought you drinks And she's like, and then you didn't want to hit this.
Speaker 4: I'm like, yeah, yeah, but.
Speaker 1: You see, and you shared it with me.
Speaker 4: That's still like my wines and I died and you I did.
Speaker 3: That's how lesbians wanted to die?
Speaker 6: Did you for seven whole minutes and you still didn't want to come home with me?
Speaker 5: I'm like, you bought a burger and I went homes with you and you're still salty about it?
Speaker 3: Would you would you have gone home with Sydney?
Speaker 1: No? I love her, I really like her.
Speaker 3: She like you as a friend, girl, I'm a buddy.
Speaker 1: Hold On, hold on.
Speaker 5: Can you imagine the drama that would be happening in the comedy world if first girls were sleeping with each other.
Speaker 3: Well, people already think that me and Sydney are sleeping together.
Speaker 4: They think that I'm her girlfriend.
Speaker 3: Only on an area. That's why yesterday, that's what they said.
Speaker 2: They were like, well, Maria and Sidney are sleeping and sleeping in the bed together, and Marie was like as friends, as friends, like Maria, they said, Maria and saying you're sleeping together.
Speaker 4: I was like, only as friends and it was like wow, wow.
Speaker 3: I said, you couldn't let them, you know, dream and have fantasies.
Speaker 4: And I'm not here to help you fantasize. I'm here to make you cry a little bit. So Michelle, you're obviously English, let's talk about that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what do you want to know about it? I'm from London from do you love?
Speaker 4: Do you feel like people in London are like better than people here.
Speaker 1: Yes, are you serious about that? Look at my face?
Speaker 4: Look at them.
Speaker 3: Don't even argue.
Speaker 5: I mean no, it's it's exactly the same, to be honest. I've been living there.
Speaker 1: For a long time. So I'm not like one of those British people that are.
Speaker 5: Like Americans kind of stupid, which is a lot of people say behind your back.
Speaker 4: They say that to our faces too, But I'm not worried about it.
Speaker 5: But I'm not one of those people. I love this country. I just got my green cards, so celebration to me. Give it a America.
Speaker 3: What's the green card process?
Speaker 4: Like they give you like a test of like like the presidents and stuff.
Speaker 1: Is well there, that's a citizenship thing. It's a pretty brutal process.
Speaker 5: And I would have like my process took ages because I got trumped.
Speaker 1: Man. I got yeah, my first world privilege.
Speaker 5: I was just like watching everyone's you know, I was watching the news and thinking, God.
Speaker 1: Isn't this going to be terrible for everyone? Their visas are going to take ages. Now It's like I didn't realize that you as well?
Speaker 2: Me me too, me too, so yeah, so yeah, it was I thought that was just with the Muzzlim band.
Speaker 3: But it's everything.
Speaker 5: Well, can you imagine how many people have like applied to get green cards once they realized that it was going to be a little bit tricky. So people like me, you'd been there for years on visas, you know, all of a sudden go oh, we should probably get a green card.
Speaker 1: Now, you know what I mean?
Speaker 5: Like that's probably the time. But anyway, I love the United States. I love I love where I'm from as well in my London and I lived in New York for years and people doways in New Yorker now and I think that's such firsty behavior in it.
Speaker 1: I'm from a good city. It's fine. I'll just be a Londoner who lives in New York.
Speaker 4: She doesn't want to be a parent, so you don't sound like a New York Yeah, it's super polate. When you are rude to people are thanks, you throw shade and it's like, wow, Queen, there's been things that I'm actually today.
Speaker 1: Michelle.
Speaker 2: Did you start modeling in the UK or in the United States?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I start I started modeling in England, but I was still bartending. I didn't make any money in the UK. Basically I was like, I was modeling, but I wasn't, you know, I was just doing like a lot of free sort of magazine stuff, like a lot of editorials in the In modeling, you don't get paid for a lot of people don't know that. So you go to somewhere like England or You'rerope, you know, Milan or Paris. You're trying to get some good pictures there because somewhere like New York is a money city and they don't really care about you know, like it's not all about the sort of artistic creative process and it's more about advertising.
Speaker 1: So you go.
Speaker 5: So, yeah, I started there. I was doing that, but I was bartending as well.
Speaker 3: How much was your first check, first medal check, my first model?
Speaker 5: Oh please let me break down the modeling. So my first check was actually twelve thousand dollars.
Speaker 4: But what what what?
Speaker 5: But it is okay, the modeling industry is like a pyramid. There's only really a few girls that could genuinely actually live off modeling.
Speaker 1: And the reason why is because my.
Speaker 5: Foot, you incur so much debt before you make any money. So things like your portfolio and pictures and sending your stuff out Even now, you know, we've got the Internet and used as a model, you still get charged every time an agent posts your picture to a client with possible potential work.
Speaker 1: Wait, you have what you you're self.
Speaker 5: Employed as a model, right, You're self employed and this agency represent you, and that means that the girl incurs every expense under the sun. Now, the reason why I wanted to get a Green Cartier is because I'd modeled all these years in America, and fifty percent of all my earnings is taken by the agency people. I don't fifty percent if you're if you're foreign, So that means that's like thirty percent taxes, twenty percent agency commission, that's off the So that's fifty percent off the bat. And then you've got all the expenses. So let's say you do a job for ten thousand dollars. Huh, Right, but you've been modeling maybe four months before that, living in New York. You haven't got any money. You're like seventeen or whatever. An average model starts at like fifteen sixteen.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so you're a kid and you're just living out here. You're not realizing your your expenses are becoming massive. By the time you get that let's say a ten grand check, it's probably like what it's going to be five and then take out your expenses, you're probably gonna have about one hundred and twenty dollars. I'm not joking, man, industry is a bump.
Speaker 1: And I love it.
Speaker 5: Now. When people are like, here's your agency Instagram, I'm like, yeah, bitch, I hope it is.
Speaker 1: You're probably making a.
Speaker 5: Lot more money than an average model, Like am Burrows makes a lot more money than Carly klos Well.
Speaker 2: Amber Row's because she has like ambassadors, she has brands.
Speaker 5: She's Carlie also off modeling, just off her image.
Speaker 4: No one knew, right, But Harley also is like you know, she's like the face of a bunch of different brands. Also, yeah, you know she's been doing it since she was like fourteen thirteen.
Speaker 2: Ye but she can't work though she can't work on Instagram long I only can't.
Speaker 1: But no one would know. And some like is a model tworking?
Speaker 4: Didn't somebody get a small is having a seizure, that's what it looks like. That's wow. So now that you got this green card, like you're losing that money.
Speaker 5: I'm in my mid thirties, man, I'm scraping a barrel at youth. At this point, I'm not trying to like be like what these are the kind of.
Speaker 1: Modeling jobs I do now?
Speaker 5: Like I still do some like JC Pennies, like the old target jobs, some undercovered stuff.
Speaker 2: But I said, don't be listen, there's nothing wrong with the target or JC Penny.
Speaker 3: There's nothing wrong the money. The money is coming.
Speaker 1: I work with I work with J. C.
Speaker 5: Pennies for like fifteen years. Man, I love him, but you know, she goes, she get older us. Let's a young girls game. I don't actually think if you're not at the top of your modeling game, you're not actually going to make that much money. At this point, I make the same money doing other you know, other things that I like more like you know, hosting or interviewing people or yeah it's wild.
Speaker 4: Wait, so what made you decide to get into modeling.
Speaker 1: People were like, you're pretty please.
Speaker 5: I came from a broadcast family and half of them are on crack, that's what.
Speaker 1: And then someone was like, would you like to go to New York?
Speaker 5: And I was literally pulling pants in a pub and someone's like, would you like to go to New York and model You're like, yeah, fucking let's do this immediately.
Speaker 4: Do you know You weren't like I'm about to get to You didn't think this is the beginning of taking.
Speaker 3: You were like, yeah, yeah, let's just go to New York.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I was like, let's just do it. You know, people were.
Speaker 2: Doing that more in their time, like around that time, was that fifteen years ago?
Speaker 3: Yeah, were just getting shipped to New York.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah exactly. So let's say I moved.
Speaker 5: Here in January two thousand and one, so that just before September millmuth and stuff. And when I came out, I was bartending and I was with an agency in London, but I didn't make any money, you know what I mean. And so an agent came through via my agency. I was with Storm in London, and they were like, would you we would like to put you on a contract, which means we're gonna put your us.
Speaker 1: In debt before you even make any money. And you're like, I've got free holiday because you're young and dumb on yeah yeah, And so yeah, I came out here.
Speaker 5: It was only meant to be for two weeks and then I literally I made twelve grand doing some polies catalog in Texas.
Speaker 1: I went back home and gave my.
Speaker 5: Mom after my I thought I was I was like, twelve thousand dollar.
Speaker 1: I can have meat in my sandwich every day for as long as I live.
Speaker 2: That was how your expectations were you getting in the play Wow, when you're young, like, what is money in it?
Speaker 1: Money is like not, we don't look that's what having money is.
Speaker 5: Money is not like having it could be one thousand dollars or it could be ten thousand dollars. When you're young, it doesn't really make any difference because what are you want? You're like, I want to bust some weed and then I going to get a taxi through the McDonald's drive through because I'm okay.
Speaker 2: Let me tell you when I when I first made a ton of money, like I made I don't know, like twelve hundred dollars in one night. Tell me about this bitch went to Steve Madden, went bawling out. I said, I'm gonna get five pairs of Steve Madden's Like, you got.
Speaker 4: Twel hundred dollars is more than five pairs. I feel like Steve Madden shooes though, Yeah, but I know right, but it's like like one hundred and fifty dollars four pair of shoes of Steve Madden.
Speaker 2: Oh girl, I was like in the sale area. I was like, listen, I'm gonna ball out here in the sale rat.
Speaker 3: I feel like that's ten.
Speaker 1: Was the time where you was like I need Steve.
Speaker 3: Snow But I'm like, I love Steve Maddon And.
Speaker 4: You're saying you love or you love because I'm not hearing the chance to choose it right now.
Speaker 6: You say, did you hear me trying to? Yeah, I'm like, well then of course. And you're like, I love Steve. I'm special place she.
Speaker 3: Spent dollars and Steve Madden left whenever, my you just want me in your in your sandwiche.
Speaker 1: It can be a sandwich, it can be that meet. That was then. That was then me and your Steve Madden stand.
Speaker 3: Steve Madden clutch too. That's hilarious.
Speaker 4: Wait, so you get this money and then after that, when do you get your next job?
Speaker 1: Straight away? Straight away?
Speaker 5: I worked pretty much consistently, so yeah, I was quite lucky like that.
Speaker 1: I never went longer than a month without working.
Speaker 3: That's great.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And I told you Michelle five turn.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what's the average height of mat We're probably about five ten.
Speaker 3: And that's how you got to start off.
Speaker 1: You got Okay, Well, the.
Speaker 5: Industry has changed since when I was doing it, because now what they look for for girls is Instagram followers and stuff like that. All of that kind of goes in. So let's say you have a following. I'll tell you a perfect example. That beautiful girl, the Golden Barbie. Do you know she's yes, yes, Now she was a great example of a girl.
Speaker 1: We made the most of what she was already doing.
Speaker 5: But if she had just started modeling when I started, she wouldn't. She wouldn't have modeled longer than a day because it's like, you're not tall enough.
Speaker 1: Even though she's stunning.
Speaker 5: Yeah she's beautiful, but she's like super commercial and not tall enough.
Speaker 4: Well, I feel like before she really truly popped, I used to see her on like the for Every twenty one website. Yeah, exactly, That's where I would see her, like modeling bathing suits.
Speaker 1: I pad I saw her indelius. Yeah, you have no idea, Absolutely, you probably did.
Speaker 5: But and then what she done was she had such a huge following herself of this Golden Barbie thing, which there was a time but that kind of thing would have been a bit frowned.
Speaker 1: Upon, you know, like but just seen as a bit tacky.
Speaker 5: Yeah. I think once the Kardashians were on the cover of Rogue, it was like, it.
Speaker 1: Gives a fuck, do you know what I mean?
Speaker 5: And someone like her should absolutely be a big model because she's generated her own following, where your average girl is just a black canvas. But I think that changed things, so now you don't necessarily have to be five tens.
Speaker 4: Well, how tall she do? We know?
Speaker 1: I think she's like five six no way, Yeah.
Speaker 3: That's fine. I'm right around I mean I'm five four, but I'm like right around five six.
Speaker 4: Yeah, kind of.
Speaker 2: But she does like a lot of fitness stuff, Like she's in a lot of bathing suits.
Speaker 1: I don't feel like she does.
Speaker 3: She doesn't do high end.
Speaker 5: I would say no, but I'd say she kind of does now. And she's sort of she's a celebrity in her own right, you know what I mean. So let's say the cusp between someone like Carli Klass and like an Amber Rose, it's that kind.
Speaker 4: Of you know, she's between the two of them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she's kind of done a good job. So I just think that now the industry's changed.
Speaker 5: So my days of that kind of modeling where you'd get insane money for absolutely no reason other than you did a great show season, I reckon that's done.
Speaker 1: I reckon them days are over. I think that ship has saved.
Speaker 3: Has sale?
Speaker 5: How much of people getting Now, well, all right, you want me to give you some prices? Yes, okay, So do.
Speaker 1: An American Vogue.
Speaker 5: You'll probably get about seventy five dollars to feature.
Speaker 1: In American Vogue dollary.
Speaker 5: Yeah, like to do to be in American Vogue, you're going to get about two hundred and fifty dollars max. Because it's your pleasure to be working for American Vogue.
Speaker 1: That's good for you. That's how it's seen American Vogue.
Speaker 5: That's not advertising, that's just them using you for a photo spread.
Speaker 4: So they're using you to sell magazines.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but the photographer's you to do a photo story, you're not going to get paid much money. So to do Oprah magazine that I always do Oprah Magazine every bloody year for some Christmas something, or like some.
Speaker 3: Magazine don't do.
Speaker 1: Because I love them.
Speaker 5: And what I love them as well is because they pay seven hundred dollars to do just the day's picture, and I'm like, and then you get the picture and.
Speaker 1: Probably can't use it anyway. But whatever.
Speaker 5: My point is is that because magazine like Oprah is not really going to help your career fashion wise, they pay you more money, and magazines are going to help your career like V magazine or.
Speaker 1: W They're not paying you any money to go.
Speaker 3: More money.
Speaker 4: What about eating? Where they feeding you?
Speaker 5: I mean they're feeding you, really, but you don't just be eating on a It depends.
Speaker 4: On like a piece of kale and like a.
Speaker 5: Dry loads of catering. But the longer you spend around that, the more you will feel the watchful eyes of judgment on you. So you want to be passing that catering table just in transit, just swiftly.
Speaker 4: That's why you gotta be That's why you got to be a king magazine man.
Speaker 3: Yeah, or you gotta be thick you can.
Speaker 4: I'm just gonna eat all these brothers.
Speaker 3: I want all the craft services of having craft service, I want.
Speaker 4: Cheese.
Speaker 5: It's one of the saddest times of my early career was doing Zacci Show and you get to do it at like Donna Tayler's aware, Genie Vazarci's old house, or in Milan, like they have it in the space and the catering is off the fucking chain and you can't touch it because then fucking gay bitches will be looking at you.
Speaker 1: Like why are you eating that?
Speaker 5: And it is the most brutal thing because you're just looking at it and you can't. You can eat enough so you don't faint, but you can't eat an so you're having a good time.
Speaker 1: Okay, So then that's a good point.
Speaker 2: I was going to ask and like a lot of models have eating disorders. Did you have to deal with that? Did you know a lot of people who went through that?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think this is I mean, I've never had that. But I'm naturally slim, and I think, look at.
Speaker 3: That, come through, come through, naturally swim, come through.
Speaker 1: But I'm naturally slim, and it's true.
Speaker 5: And also I grew up in a West Indian area, so I was never I was always shamed about how skinny I was, and I always thought I was skinnier than I was actually, you know what I mean. Sometimes I'd go away and come back and they'd be like, so, who's a little bit fat, but like they're trying to, you.
Speaker 1: Know, yeah, make it, make it you like me.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I wouldn't notice because, yeah, I just come from an area where it was like not you want to be bigger.
Speaker 1: I wasn't as conscious of it as other girls.
Speaker 5: Also, I never really I've never been some money lately, you know, when I hit my foot is a fluctuated a bit more.
Speaker 1: But when I was young.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but you're still saying like, yeah, you are very much.
Speaker 1: You look like a map. But I do think that. So this is what I think. If you have a food issue, modeling will bring it out even more.
Speaker 5: But if you haven't got one to begin with, you probably will just stay like that, you know what I mean, if it's not in you, If you have any kind of sort of any weird things with food, the fashion.
Speaker 1: Industry will put a magnifying glass.
Speaker 2: Why do they do that though, Like they are so picky about and you could put the thing is you can airbrush every fucking thing now, yeah, every giving about giving me a whole.
Speaker 5: But it's also it's a bit like being an athlete, man. So I just think if you don't like it, don't be a model then.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but you know where there's a lot of money. But you know what, when I was temping last year and the year before that, one of the basons I got to temp was at IMG Models, right, and I was one of the agents assistant, and I would just go through. I was it was my job to put the girls dates in their calendars. So I looked through to see how much money everybody was making. And some of them, we're making a lot of money, like twenty thousand dollars a day. But I'm looking at people's book like people who are like victorious Secret Angels, and like people who you know, not necessarily Instagram models, but people who actually like walk Runaways regularly and Karli Klaus and all these people. So I would look to see how much money they made, because you know, I like to invoke pain on myself and I like feeling poor. Because I was like thirty thousand dollars for this day of work in Camp Coon or wherever the hell they were staying, and the girls would come in. I was there the week before fashion Week and the girls came in and it's all like legit, like fourteen fifteen year old girls coming in and they're like super skinny, they're super young. The agents are like talking about, okay, well make sure you only take stairs this week, no taxis, take the train like they want you to like eat, like work off your quote unquote fat. And then when the girls would leave, they'd be like, she looked terrible, Like they were so nasty to these and their children, like they're like fourteen year olds.
Speaker 1: I absolutely agree.
Speaker 5: Well, this is the thing about the underage side of it is that think about it.
Speaker 1: If if these if these.
Speaker 5: Girls, if there was a fourteen year old in a magazine with a sea through top and her boobs were big, you would identify that as some sort of child porn.
Speaker 1: Or like something that doesn't seem right.
Speaker 5: And because these girls are built like pre pubescent boys, for some reason, it's seen as fashion. Needless to say, she's a fourteen year old working a sixteen hour day, and I've seen some disgusting things happen on set.
Speaker 1: But what I'm my thing is like, if you don't like it, don't do it.
Speaker 5: And the reason why I say that not for children, because you're a child and.
Speaker 3: You can't make your parents your own sound are like, yes.
Speaker 4: You're gonna make money and be a Naomi Campbell junior or whatever.
Speaker 5: Right, But I think if people were more honest about what the fashion industry is like, and if you knew that, look, your average girl doesn't make that much money either. Me. Sometimes i'd clear one hundred grands a year or twice that, but I didn't have any money management. I think I came from a family where I got scammed for a lot.
Speaker 1: Of my money, do you know what I mean?
Speaker 5: And I gave a lot and paid a lot of rents. I didn't know how to do deal with money myself, so I was just like just yeah, literally threw it away. Now, Lucky for me, I've been able to have other jobs and careers, so I don't need to be bitter about that. But if I didn't, and if let's say I wasn't a bartender before I was a model, I'd probably be a drug addict now, to be fair. So I wish more people were honest about what the fashion industry is And if you're a pretty girl, please know that the first.
Speaker 1: Thing you don't need to do is be a model.
Speaker 5: And it's kind of annoying that when you see a beautiful girl, all of us are primed to say you should be a model, Like that's the best possible.
Speaker 4: Never had a dollar retire that to me, I would have one hundred thousand.
Speaker 2: Dollars so much money, i'd be a millionaire right now.
Speaker 4: Maybe, Like well, I mean normally when people see me, that's means I'm a dancer because my body is like you're super short, staggy, but like flying, you know, your muscle, muscle muscles, thank you so management. But what that means is I ain't got no hips and my shoulders are white. There's what it means. When do you dance? I'd be like i'd be like only to get through graduate school. But yeah, people see that and that's exactly what. Oh you're a comedian, but you should just be a model.
Speaker 1: It's like, you know, but you're so pretty.
Speaker 5: And basically it's this kind of attitude we have in society that if there's a woman who's attractive and beautiful, then she must use it. Why, I mean fucking patronizing really so why I would like to be It's like if you see a gorgeous girl, well maybe she could just be a gorgeous engineer or a googeous taxi driver or goog just something else.
Speaker 4: Oh, I hope she's not a gorgeous taxi driver. I hope she's something else, a gorgeous at home.
Speaker 3: I'm on the side of like, if you are beautiful, you use it like you can get. Like, there's so.
Speaker 2: Many outlets to use your beauty properly long as it's managed right. You know, there's so many people on Instagram who we don't even know who the hell they are. They're taking a train, but somebody's willing to give them ten thousand dollars for their product.
Speaker 5: But it's not just going to be because you're beautiful. You're gonna have to have generated your own amount of followers. So like when that's why I kind of give these girls props like Rosa Costa and all of these kind of like fit beautiful, like women of all different shapes and sizes, and like I would raw to me, I've got more time for her selling some you know, tea that makes your ship. But that's someone who's had to already be business minded about it. I think the days of just saying you are gorgeous and someone is going to want to throw money at you just to be more than attractive, you have to be a little bit more than attractive these days. And I don't think it's a bad thing, And I just think I wish more people knew that, like that day of like you know, the Naomi Campbell's and stuff.
Speaker 1: It's a little bit. Yes, that's done.
Speaker 2: But also they're changing the whole industry, like everything is body positive now.
Speaker 3: Everything they like now.
Speaker 4: I mean they still they're still are still shame you.
Speaker 2: Still, but for the most part, they want for people like Ashley Graham all day and they'll make you think, like Ashy Graham is the first.
Speaker 3: Girl to be like full figured, and it's like boo boo, I see that on a.
Speaker 2: Regular basis at the mall, Like that is not even I think that there's between Ashley Graham and people who may be weigh the same thing that she weighs. Is that her body still like goes inwhere you know what I mean, Like it's not like her stomach is hanging out further than her butt or like her you know what I mean, Like she's still shaped like somebody, you know what I mean, like her blox exactly, her something is flat, her her hip, like her waist goes in like she's not it's not the same thing. No, what I'm saying, I'm not saying that you should just be out of shape. I'm saying it's body positive now, so that you don't have to.
Speaker 3: Be uh supersiding zero. You can be a full figured woman.
Speaker 2: You can have curves, you can have ass, you can have boobs, you can have legs and still sell that.
Speaker 3: Yes, but you know what's you know what you can't You can't not have no legs be a model.
Speaker 1: Okay, yes, you can't have that.
Speaker 3: No, no, wait have you seen on Refinery twenty nine?
Speaker 4: No, I don't go there. Remember they owe me mnd Oh yes, yeah, child.
Speaker 2: But there was one like there was a woman who's like ball headed and she has one leg and she was like modeling stuff.
Speaker 4: Oh the black girl she got that, she got their cool Fike legs.
Speaker 3: She's like she's Nigerian Instagram.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah.
Speaker 1: But you know.
Speaker 5: The difference between that is because of social media, we all get to decide who we like. It's not the fashion industry saying you should like this representation of womanhood which is actually childhood.
Speaker 3: You know what I mean.
Speaker 5: That's the difference. We are getting to be like, oh I love that chick. I love Ashley Graham. I love because there's been with Wilhelmina here, they've had a plus sized division forever.
Speaker 1: But you know, it's now these girls are.
Speaker 5: Generating that following for themselves, and I think that's a way more positive way to go about fashion.
Speaker 1: Or the modeling industry in itself.
Speaker 3: And another question I had, it's really serious, you do I'm like, I like, okay, I feel very sixty minutes, I feel really.
Speaker 4: Wait can we can we talk about the craziest thing that's ever happened to you as a model, Like the most embarrassing.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, I've seen some crazy stuff. And my favorite thing is.
Speaker 5: That I ever saw was I was backstage at Versus show, which is like another line for Vizarchi, and a model came and yanked the back of Donna Taeler Vazarci's hair, and I thought a big fight was going to block out because this is like before white chicks were wearing we even though she was clearly wearing Yeah, Donna Tailor flicks her.
Speaker 1: Head around, She's like, don't do you attach me? And then his model just laughs in her.
Speaker 5: Face, and I was like, dude, a fight is going to Brock like I was saying, He's like yeah, and no one.
Speaker 1: Cares, like world star, yeah, world.
Speaker 5: And then yeah, and then Donna Taylor's like, no, do you have a fucking touchment?
Speaker 1: And then the chick just walks out onto the runway and does my first look. It was a great moment, man, it was an amazing What tell.
Speaker 4: What does Dona Tayler's face look like up close? Because you put yourself, looks like melted butter. He looks like a corn flake.
Speaker 2: It looks like the Ghostbusters like marshmallow thing that just like it looks like when you're.
Speaker 4: Starting to make s'mores and you think the marshmallows ready, but it's still hard on the inside and it just melted on the outside.
Speaker 5: Definitely like yeah, it's honey roasted and it's money. It's been even particularly bad.
Speaker 1: It's just definitely ready, like it was in the oven. You'd be like, like, you need to turn this over.
Speaker 3: She stayed face down. Wow.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so she I feel like she owns it.
Speaker 3: She don't give a damn.
Speaker 1: She know what she looked like. She gives zero fox. Yeah, she gives zero fox. Other with things I had Adulta and Gobana tried to.
Speaker 5: Refuse to pay me once because they I did like a look book for them and and they were really upsex they so I didn't look great, but they basically had a team of hairstylist who didn't know how to do my hair.
Speaker 1: It was not your makeup.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and they didn't have your makeup, but your light skin you are, I'm light.
Speaker 5: Like the only thing that's like official is my hair, like light Yeah, you're light skin.
Speaker 4: You're like you're like a dark white woman. Yeah, like they pay in that color.
Speaker 3: Can you speak on that?
Speaker 2: Talk about being like a mixed woman in the industry with your hair is sxsture.
Speaker 5: The hair thing, the hair thing, it was always an issue, but I'd always do my hair myself. By the end, it was such a thing that I would have to like straighten it and curl it myself and turn up with my hair done. But as far as like being light skinned, it was really weird in the in the in fact all my career only recently, like I would be the black girl that they were booking.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and there's a feeling of like, but I'm not. I'm surely I'm not black enough.
Speaker 5: To represent you and you and well, I was the black girl for pretty much every single job I did, and that gave me a sense of like, boy, like, you know, I would like to be there to represent people that look like me. And I think it's great if and let's say a label is having a more you know, just basically a more diverse setup. But if I'm the black girl that i'm then yes.
Speaker 1: Why doing it?
Speaker 4: Michelle? The inside of my hand, my palms are darker than you.
Speaker 1: I mean too.
Speaker 4: But that's the same thing with Misty Copeland, the ballerina, the black chick. They were, like she said, when she started to do ballet, they never had shoes in her color because you know, the ballerinas wear the shoes that matted their skin tone. She's your complexion, and it's like, y'all don't have that. Y'all don't have dark beige. And he was like, no, they didn't have that. Like and there are ballerinas who are darker than her, So how do you think they fit like?
Speaker 3: They never had the make up for them. They never had they had you have to come up with your own stuff.
Speaker 1: How hard is it to just get the fucking complexion?
Speaker 3: Right, listen, Just go to.
Speaker 4: Get some get some cover girl queen collection. Just I don't even need be anything fancy, just go get it. So when I get there, I don't look after you when I come outside.
Speaker 3: Well it's like, why isn't it if if there's only one of you? Right, how come they.
Speaker 4: Don't have it least that they know you coming? Yeah, you're not a mistake. You They booked you up and they're like, oh, we want to miss mix a couple of creams together.
Speaker 5: They literally like they say they that particularly was a really hard job because they lined they had like a team of makeup artists and maybe six models and then the makeup art is like a basketball tournament while you're they have to pick and it.
Speaker 1: Was just basically like one guy dragging his heels as he walked up to me, then like I got this scale and then just trying.
Speaker 3: To like so he didn't even really want to do your face and of.
Speaker 5: Course not man, like I'm telling you, like, places like Milan and stuff are really hard, like where they're definitely designers will just be like we're booking one black girl and I will be the black girl.
Speaker 4: So it's kind of like what is crazy?
Speaker 5: Things are changing a little bit, but not that much. And it's also shallow, you know, in fashion is shallow. So one season black girls will be in and the next season Asian girls will be in.
Speaker 1: But what girls are always in?
Speaker 4: You know what I mean?
Speaker 3: So if you're ethnic, it's always trendy, trendy thing.
Speaker 2: And then don't have what was this? Was it Mark Jacobs? He had a whole line where the girls were wearing dreads. Yeah, different colored dress. Codn't understand why everybody was so upset about it. It's like you could have got somebody who already had dreads.
Speaker 4: Well this. These fashion designers are always completely out of touch, right, Like remember when Chanel did their like line of silk sleeping caps and it was like, that's a drag, that's that's a twelve thousand dollars dug right, And Balenciaga just came out with this blue bag for like, I don't know how many, like thirty nine one hundred dollars, and it's the Ikea bag. It looks exactly like right, but it looks exactly like the bag you get for free at Ikea. And it's like, dude, really yeah, well no, and then there's a no, there's somebody else came out with Chinese slippers, like the ones that used to wear and it's like those we would wear from like mouth Dollar from like the beautiful Blacks throw in my neighborhood and they're like it's like twelve thousand dollars or something like that. They're like real soresky crystals. It's like these are Chinese slips. They always want to reinvent some ship that we that we've been had, we've been doing, like what fashion. There was some line that all the girls came down with like baby hairs, like crazy curly baby hair. Yeah, and it's like, dude, like it looks terrible. It was like the worst fingerwave. You just got some but they just brought all the hair from the back up and it was like, man, my baby hair is gonna do all. Like it was a lot.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think like Tana Taylor had that and like Drea. It was a couple of people who from the from the Brown Side that was rocking it too.
Speaker 1: And I was like, did you let somebody why do that to you?
Speaker 4: You could do that yourself, like like FK Twigs baby hairs too. You definitely had a Susanne Summers do. I don't like letting white people touch my hair, like if I have it, if we're doing a show or we're doing something on camera, I'd be like. They'd be like, this is the hair dresser. I'll be like, no, I'm already done. This is how you're gonna wear it? Yes, is I'm wearing it?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 5: You know what you should because these are the things. You kind of got to put your foot down a little bit. I'm lucky with vice.
Speaker 1: They kind of let me.
Speaker 5: I didn't realize that we'reing Like a head wrap on you know, screen was a deal, and it actually is, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: Like, let me do whatever I want. They let me have my hair out, they let me have it back. No one's ever like could you make it more tame, you know, which.
Speaker 5: Is basically what I'd get if I turn up to any sort of fashion show or anything with my hair in AFRO, I would get cast out, and mostly by black hairdressers that are just like who do you think you are?
Speaker 1: Like you, how are you going to turn up with your hair like this? And now we have to do it. I'm like, yeah, this is what your get involved? Do you know what I mean? You better start now?
Speaker 3: What are we talking about just put it in go ahead, ahead ahead and tangled.
Speaker 4: That is so crazy to me because like even as like comics, when we do stuff, a lot of times the makeup artists doesn't know what they're doing. But when it's a black makeup artist and they don't know how to do my makeup, I'm I'm double angry, Like I'm even more upset.
Speaker 2: And the thing is is that they see the monitor, the monitors letting you know what the fuck I'm gonna look like on TV, like because sometimes the lighting in the dress room you don't know, but you see the monitor, like.
Speaker 4: I'm on camera looking like a like a dusty bag of trash and you're like, uh no, it looks fine.
Speaker 1: My concealer, my concealer's running.
Speaker 3: You're like, well, we don't, we don't know what we look like.
Speaker 4: We just shot a bunch of stuff for MTV International and saw it was like some some talking head stuff like we're like making we're doing commentary about like girl it didn't.
Speaker 3: Come out, so we're doing commentary about this stuff.
Speaker 4: And we saw like the videos after they finished editing them, and like I was like, that's that's the face that y'all gonna show and that that's the face that they gonna see. Jan like, that's it.
Speaker 1: What did it look like?
Speaker 4: It was orange yellow, It looked like I had one It looked like I had on a bunch of makeup. Mind you the whole she was like, well, it's supposed to look like you're not wearing the makeup, right, we were the only ones that looked like we had tons of cake on cake doing. Also, but like, my face is all one color, right, Like, ain't no contour. My real face is not just one color. There's like six different colors on my face. And like it just looks fat and flat and black.
Speaker 3: Well you should, I'm marine, I'm so black.
Speaker 4: That flat black own face faces.
Speaker 1: You need to like, you guys need to invest in. I brought my own stuff, and I brought my stuff.
Speaker 2: You're like, this is not gonna work with this type of camera. Yes, it's not gonna they her makeup wasn't gonna work on Yeah, that's like you.
Speaker 4: Need to get a mad and stuff like that. I'm like, dude, there's some powder on it. Then, like anyway, so it's hard, but you did you have a hard time with your makeup? Also?
Speaker 5: Like, no, not really because my makeup was of like, but what what It's not for me, it's what that brand wants you to look like. When you guys are going on film, you are representing yourself.
Speaker 4: It's you.
Speaker 1: Black, blank canvas. So that didn't matter so much.
Speaker 5: What was annoying is when like to designers Liked and Banner like, we're not going to pay you now because we think your makeup look ship.
Speaker 3: I'm like, well that's the Magat problem.
Speaker 1: Something like that is annoying. Yeah, But for the most part, stuff like that doesn't really bother you.
Speaker 4: How did you finally How did that finally end? Did you have to like take them the court to get your Did they just get arrested for tax evasion?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Well they weren't paying anybody, but I.
Speaker 1: Know they had.
Speaker 5: They said some homophobic stuff or whatever. I just complained to my agents and was like, no, you know, this is why it's the money. Yeah, And actually, if you if I'm meant to not pay for that, like if I'm meant to now pay and and sort out you lots you know, stupidness, then I'm going to they said, and calling you racist, and then I got paid.
Speaker 3: They said some homophobic stuff aren't gay. Yeah they are, but they say that.
Speaker 5: I remember they said something like they didn't think it was natural with two men had a kid or some bullshit.
Speaker 1: I don't even know that. Please don't. I don't know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 2: Did you I was gonna say, did you have any problems with other models? Did you have did you ever have like a fire.
Speaker 4: Did have a reverse Naomi moment?
Speaker 1: Or did you I was quite lucky, man.
Speaker 5: I had some really good like girls who always took care of me and them friends with alec Weck, So that was friends with her.
Speaker 3: I mean, I'm sure she went a lot.
Speaker 5: Yeah, she could probably, And this is what I'm saying for me in my career. It was very hard for me to see someone like her. Has always been amazing with me, always gave me great advice. And when I moved back to New York a few years ago after doing stand up, I live with her and that she's always been great. But you know, when we would do a fashion show or whatever, I would probably do more commercial jobs than her. In the in the beginning of the early nughties, she would do these huge campaigns. Was an amazing model, but they wouldn't you said that much for advertising. Now they will because we know it's her, but at that time they were like, you don't represent what we were, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: It was kind of fun.
Speaker 4: It's so crazy because black women spend a lot of money in like just in beauty, in fashion, we spend so much money, and they're like, we'll take your money, but we don't want you to see you represented in what we're doing, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: Sometimes they would have her and stuff that's like extra extra, like they're looking crazy. Yeah, it's like they're just gonna put a piece of they're gonna paint a yellow stripe around her forehead and that's it.
Speaker 1: You don't even saw a way to speak on her behalf.
Speaker 5: But in terms of that, like we would definitely discuss that, like, you know, but we someone like me or as she would say, right, we get we get all this beautiful pretty makeup right to emphasize your eyes in it, and they're just like, yeah, just paint a bloody green stripe down her face and be like, oh kid, that's you. I mean, how but I had I had people like that sort of a few years older than me that were really nice to me and really lovely and were really open and honest, and I never actually had that much beef with girls and more it was more photographers and stuff like that. Terry Richardson, I can't stand it. Yeah, some Terry juice. I just think is I just think he's a He's a fucking dirty pervert. And I'm really happy that it's that people are talking about it now. When I when I was, you know, going to do castings for him and stuff, he would have a bunch of girls in and like the amount of my friends he's taking pictures of, you know, without their top song when they thought it was for like a private picture, and then he ended up making it public. And I just think it's a nasty bit of work. And yeah, So the first job I did, I was doing a job for Tommy hill Figure. I was doing a job for Tommy hill Figure and I'd already done on the campaign a season before, so he hadn't booked me. The client, Tommy Hilfigare booked me and so I'm doing a campaign again and.
Speaker 1: He was shooting it this year and he just had like a bunch of girls.
Speaker 5: They were all probably about sixteen, sitting in a circle in underwear playing padder cake. Now, these girls were so young, you know, like this, these girls are young, YID not understanding what the appeal is for this older man to be looking at. You know, I just don't really think that you're too young to get it. So they're doing this, probably playing up to get his attention and knowing.
Speaker 1: That he would like that.
Speaker 5: And he walked past and he was like, yeah, that's so fucking heart and I was like, that is disgusting. Yeah, there's yeah, and he pretty much I think like an hour after that, I got sent home.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because you said out loud that I was disgusting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I just didn't want to play with him.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's like, oh, come over here, and he'd want to put his arm around me, and you know, like I'm not into those weird like sexy dad vibes.
Speaker 4: Man. Now with them.
Speaker 3: Glasses he had on about him, it's creepy.
Speaker 2: Everyone said he's very dove from American Apparel.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, that's exactly what.
Speaker 1: They look similar as well it Yeah, oh yeah they do.
Speaker 2: And I feel like even the models for American appearl they had I was like, he touching all of them.
Speaker 4: All of the real you tubes coming outy lips right selling he's selling a bra, but your vagina in the photo girls tuck it in.
Speaker 1: Sis.
Speaker 4: Wait, what's the craziest thing that ever happened to you on the runway because you used to walk the runway right?
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, yeah, Well, the craziest thing that's ever happened to me on a runway was falling. Actually, well, one time I was doing a show for Betsy Johnson in New York, and you know, she has all these animated shows, and like I slept. My friend was walking up the runway the ship called Amrah and I spent the ars and got my studied glove called.
Speaker 1: To her tires.
Speaker 4: Look, you know, and I was like excuse me.
Speaker 5: And then and then yeah, I was doing food, was doing Gucci. I did that show and I couldn't really walk. And Tom Forwards, such a nice guy, just started modeling and I had to do like a quick walk for him.
Speaker 1: But you know, at the cast in he was like, yeah, you're booked.
Speaker 5: And then when he came to the actual show and they put me in the big gass.
Speaker 1: Hills, I was like, I.
Speaker 5: Know, you're not going to be working on anything. It was like shag pile, white carpet, and I was like, oh my god. I did the rehearsal. I fell in the rehearsal, and you know, this was like a serious moment from modeling. My mother and the friends got don't worry, just keep it together, like you've already fallen, now you can't fall again.
Speaker 1: And now it's out the way.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: So I go down and a Gucci runway is like it's like a block. It's the longest run where you're ever going to walk down.
Speaker 4: Really, why is there?
Speaker 1: Because it's Gucci and everyone wants to go, so they just.
Speaker 3: Make the front row. Yeah, the more people you can fit in.
Speaker 5: And yeah, and there's all these people there and I just got halfway down the runway and I just sort of I made it a bit and I just thought, man, imagine if you fell, would.
Speaker 4: You think that it was a long enough runway? You think, right, because you had runway down and you had to come on with me.
Speaker 3: You set yourself up and failure.
Speaker 1: It was I was like, you seged yourself out.
Speaker 5: I was like a college dede sleeping with a hot girl. You can't get his erection off.
Speaker 1: Imagine if you fell and then I fell and I was.
Speaker 5: Able to take my shoes off, and like everyone clapped, like, look at her, she's walking.
Speaker 1: That's what happened.
Speaker 3: That's what happened to carrying uh the city.
Speaker 4: She felt so hard. Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And actually it was not long after that came out anyway, So I'm going backstage.
Speaker 1: Everyone's like, don't worry. Now you've done it again again.
Speaker 3: And now you were going right, let you know, so we saw that and they're like on the monitor.
Speaker 5: Next shoes They've like taped the like straps, so I can't just take them off, right, I'm going down the runway again. I get to the end of the runway and the Alliance start like applauding because they're like, look.
Speaker 4: At there's been she fell.
Speaker 5: And then as soon as as soon as I turned around, I fell again.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I couldn't together.
Speaker 5: I was just like.
Speaker 1: It was a comedian in me.
Speaker 5: To be honestly, I just kept on thinking this is so ridiculous. I was literally a bartender. And like a month later in Milan and everyone's clapping because I walked down.
Speaker 1: Anyway. I got up, yeah, took three more.
Speaker 5: Bambi steps and then fell headfirst into a guy's lap.
Speaker 4: It was classic. But you fell into somebody's lap.
Speaker 1: Yeah, man had first. Did you get fully paid for that or not?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I got paid for that, and he and I got booked a get old. The next time I did this show, I was doing a cruise show and by this point.
Speaker 5: I'm like, I'm jinxed with Gucci. Yes, over jinked some jinx. It was a private showing. It was like Anna Winter, Andrei and Tilly and like maybe two other big introjuices or whatever. So I'm wearing these like swimming costumes. I go down thinking I'm crushing it and I didn't even fool It's a private showing.
Speaker 1: Now they can see.
Speaker 4: I thought.
Speaker 1: I come back up.
Speaker 5: My dresser like scoops the gusset of my fucking swimming costume, and she's like dampon and dampon and damp I'm like, what, dude, I'd fucking roll down this runway with basically a G string on my tampon string.
Speaker 1: No, yeah, there you go. That's my most embarrassing.
Speaker 4: On Telly. So your tampon string.
Speaker 1: You are legendary.
Speaker 3: You're a legendary, Michelle.
Speaker 1: I'm sure they all know who you are smuggling can we talk.
Speaker 4: About why Andre be wearing them the two vacovers outside and then howse shoes he wears?
Speaker 1: How shoes?
Speaker 5: You know what?
Speaker 1: He reminds me of the dude from Unbreakable Kimmi schmid it. Now, I'm just like cleaning. You're taking mad style tips from Andre on Telly.
Speaker 4: Right, Yeah, it's just you know, I'm sure he is, but it's you judging and you look like you stepped, You got caught your curtains that on the way out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like he basically covered himself in glue.
Speaker 3: He looks like he sits out on side of a part and tells the kids.
Speaker 1: Come on, now, come on in now I made dinner.
Speaker 4: He looks like the type of person that like calls you from upstairs to come down to passing the remote that's right next to you.
Speaker 5: You know what I mean?
Speaker 4: You know how like your mom, do come inside and bring me the remote. This is awful, this remote that's raided by your hand. This remote.
Speaker 3: That's what Andre looks like.
Speaker 4: Wow, Michelle, I can't believe you survived that and didn't feel the tampon string caressing your upper thighs.
Speaker 2: Should you should have cut the string? You should have cut it, but then she wouldn't be able to get it out. That's fine, you have a TSS.
Speaker 3: I've had that before.
Speaker 4: You at TSS because you forgot to take your tire.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you got scoop man, you got a lot on your back, saying proud I had. Sometimes.
Speaker 3: I had just had my graduation.
Speaker 2: I was out and about, you know, with the friends, and I was like, I don't know if I'm gonna go home yet, And I stayed out all night with the tampon.
Speaker 3: In went to a dude's house. I was hanging out with this dude. Obviously he didn't do anything with the tampon, but we were hanging out.
Speaker 4: He was like, just slot the strings to the sun. That's not so.
Speaker 2: Then the next day, I like next day, at four o'clock, because I had spent the night at my friend's house, I realized.
Speaker 3: I was like, yo, man, I think I've had this stamp on it for twenty four hours.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So I get to the house, my face swollen. I looked like a fucking squirrel. My brother's like, what's wrong with you? I was like, I don't know, and then he touches me. He's like, yo, you're burning up. So my brother takes me to the emergency room, right, and he's like, do you know what it was? At that point, I had taken it out, but I told him at the emergency room, I think I've left my tampon in too long. So when I get in the triage, there's a woman telling me to sit down, and she's like, I'm gonna pull it out for you, and I said no, no, no, no, no, it's already out out the mid Oh He's gonna pull the tampon and I was like, no, it's not stuck.
Speaker 3: I already took it out. I think it was in there too long.
Speaker 5: Wow.
Speaker 1: And my brother's there.
Speaker 4: I was like, this is embarrassing. I mean embarrassing, even worse now that you're talking about on the podcast and people know that you you were dirty airs bird, Michelle, How did your TSS affect you? Happy? You woke out the wrong where you were like, I'm just never taking this out.
Speaker 1: No, it was fine.
Speaker 5: I just I think I like probably had a big night partying on zimally back in the day and woke up and was like, oh, a bit of heaviness there, and ye had just scooped that motherfucker out like a pro. It was like a you know, a string that you know some like a string that didn't that where I got the string without the tampon, But eventually.
Speaker 4: You got the string out by itself.
Speaker 5: The string came off and the tampon was left, and I just must have been fucked off my face and forgot about the situation.
Speaker 1: Was like, there's no string, I'm fine, but that didn't mean there was no tampon. But yeah, I went fishing.
Speaker 4: It was fun.
Speaker 1: Yo, that is wild. Wait, but it were fun.
Speaker 4: I feel like we need to talk to you about drugs in modeling real quick. How much drugs were you on?
Speaker 1: Not enough?
Speaker 5: To be honest, I was like, I was a big smoker, so I didn't really touch drugs until I had to pay for it myself.
Speaker 3: Unfortunately, so when it was free, you were just walking by the book page.
Speaker 5: You just weren't into it, man, Because I'd sort of like that there's thought of doing coke and things like that didn't seem glamorous to me. I grew up in an area where like, if you did drugs, you're probably in sucking dick for money. Yeah, I didn't get to and so you know, I think especially like cocaine, which is what the fashion industry is running on. It's one of those drugs that if you do it then then you know that everyone else is doing it.
Speaker 1: But I wasn't doing it then, so I didn't know. And that's.
Speaker 2: That's why you are here threat, because if you would have done it while you were doing it, or you would probably look like ship now it runs you down.
Speaker 1: I had some time making up for lost time, but yeah.
Speaker 4: You were like this cocaine is too scary for me.
Speaker 5: No more drugs than that anywhere else, to be honest, you know, I mean if you go about clubbing, not actually not on the jobs, but you know, if you go out clubbing, maybe in the nineties there was loads of that kind of stuff, but if you go to clubs. Of course, you can go out to any club in New York and there's a million models drinking for free.
Speaker 1: Everybody.
Speaker 2: No, everybody's doing it, literally everyone is, right.
Speaker 3: It really is like just working at a bar. I realized. I was like, even the interns be fucking doing drugs.
Speaker 1: It's everybody.
Speaker 2: They're like, from the manager to the CEO to all the little everybody's doing drugs.
Speaker 3: They don't I.
Speaker 4: Don't even feel cool. I've never been doing cocaine at a party and I've never had TSS. I just am a loser a.
Speaker 1: Party like, but you do it at home.
Speaker 4: I've never done cocaine in the club, club cocaine, club road, cocaine, cocaine in homes.
Speaker 3: Michelle, I don't think we should give your test.
Speaker 4: I think you can you name Can you name neither three tap models that are out right now in your opinion?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 1: Probably Joan Smalls.
Speaker 4: She's officially number one.
Speaker 5: I'd like Jordan Done, I think she's amazing, and who else and probably like I don't know, I fucking.
Speaker 1: Hate those like her and be herd.
Speaker 4: I just hate. I was going to ask you about that.
Speaker 5: You already have money, please, skinny bitches not from the same background as you make that money.
Speaker 4: Instance, So is that how you feel about the.
Speaker 3: Kendle whatever is like, yeah, but.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I really like Jordan Done and I really like them, and I really like Joan Smalls.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I used to look at her.
Speaker 3: I used to look at her calendar too when I was working at IMG.
Speaker 4: I was like, Joan, let me hold two million. I'll give it back.
Speaker 1: The number one model in the world. I'm not sure that many people know that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well because before her it was Tom Brady's wife for like years as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she was in everything, I think, John smiles. She just as she put black women on the map for sure, back on the map.
Speaker 3: No, there was.
Speaker 1: Well, Leila Cabetti was Lily bigbec she was big when I was moderan. Yeah, she's a really nice She's Ethiopian, right, Yeah, she's she's lovely.
Speaker 4: Ethiopian women are beautiful. Now, before we go, can you give somebody who's listening to this was maybe like I'm pretty, I want to be a model, because they're completely disregarding your things that you could be pretty something else. Can you give them some advice as to like maybe like a couple, like maybe three or four things that they can do that they might not be doing well.
Speaker 1: I would say, of course.
Speaker 5: The obvious things are is don't sign up to some wacky agency that you've never heard of that is asking you to put some money up up front, right, because if you.
Speaker 1: Heard what I just said, they will pay it all for you and overcharge you when you get paid.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, more legitimate ages than you will do. So it shouldn't cost you any money. Be realistic?
Speaker 1: Are you five foot five and two hundred pounds?
Speaker 5: Because if you are, then the way you might want a model should be maybe off your own backers and not on your back, but you know, like via Instagram or something like that might be better to get a following. If you don't hit the normal model standards and sizes, you can still model, but I would maybe, Yeah, there's other ways to do it.
Speaker 4: Now, Okay, but now what if somebody listening to this is Haitian American queen and she about twenty seven, and she she's skinny, and she got maybe fifty seven hundred Instagram flowers?
Speaker 1: What should she do? Hm?
Speaker 5: I reckon if someone like that is probably very smart and funny and she just you know, being and as all these other things and additionally beautiful as well. Maybe just.
Speaker 4: Michelle twenty seven? Yeah, Michelle, thank you so much.
Speaker 3: Wait, she said, where is the lie?
Speaker 4: Michelle?
Speaker 5: The lie?
Speaker 3: The lie is somewhere else. I'll talking about somebody listening.
Speaker 4: I wasn't even talking about anybody. So where can people find you that are listening.
Speaker 1: To this at the moment? I suppose you can find me?
Speaker 5: Like online, you can check out some of my documentaries on us and whatnot. And yeah, I'm going to be doing I'm doing some like festival, some live stream and ship Cali Roots Festival. Oh yeah, okay, a bunch of white people with dreadlocks, no doubt, and I'm off with a stick, can go with my head.
Speaker 4: Hey, queen, excuse me.
Speaker 3: Do what you can for us, Michelle, do what you can.
Speaker 1: What did you say the the day on stage that I love?
Speaker 4: Just like can't move for Dick, Oh, Dodging Dick Daily.
Speaker 1: That just sounds like a great news bulletin. Hello Marie from Dodging Dick Day.
Speaker 4: Listen.
Speaker 3: I mean that's that's where I reside.
Speaker 4: I live on the corner of Dodging and Dick and I'm there every day, there, every single day. What's your social media?
Speaker 1: You can? I think why Twitter is mish this wall?
Speaker 4: Listen if you.
Speaker 3: Don't, if you don't know, if we can't help you.
Speaker 1: What about your Instagram, instagramdma, Michelle, this wall.
Speaker 5: It gives me anxiety. Man, follow me if you want. There's nothing that much exciting happening.
Speaker 3: You're on Facebook?
Speaker 1: Yeah I don't really use it, but yeah you can listen.
Speaker 4: You can catch Michelle just outside. You can catch her outside.
Speaker 3: She has a bike, so she'll be bike fickling.
Speaker 4: She'd be at the club with her bike outside, so you're cocaine in the bike tires. And you catch me and Sydney every second Saturday at Caramel Lounge at our live show that Michelle has done many minute times. You can find me on Instagram at rez r e e e z y Sydney.
Speaker 2: You can find me at just sid BW on Instagram, and you can find me on just sid NYC on Twitter.
Speaker 4: You can also find Sydney at Rainbows Gotta Go Bye by,