Speaker 1: You can watch the original episode we'll be discussing in every other episode of HBO's Curby Your Enthusiasm, including the new and final season, on Max. You can also watch the video version of the History of Curby Enthusiasm podcast on Max and YouTube as well. Links available in the episode description. All Right, Hi, everybody, 'menthusiasman.
Speaker 2: And I'm Jeff Garlics and.
Speaker 1: We are doing season five, episode seven, the sayer yes yes. And we start out with Larry's down at his front steps. It's the morning and he's looking for something. He doesn't see it, and then he sees the neighbors across the street, older couple taking packages out of their car. And the neighbors are Pat Harrington who plays Mac and Jenny Ventris, who plays Ethel Mac. Pat Harrington is, of course an old character actor and commedee. He was a stand up, right end up yes yes on one day at a time for many one day he.
Speaker 2: Played a handyman around the building. Yeah. He was very sweet to me, and uh, you know, anytime I get a chance to work with I was a big, you know, TV movie person. So when I work with anyone that from my child of that stuff, I get very excited, and he was great. And you know, I always say he answered every question I asked. I asked him what Bonnie Franklin was really like and then she was a gentle love maker. I wanted to know if all.
Speaker 1: Of those guys. What I remember about all those comedians when I was growing up is they were always on the quiz shows, on Password and on you know, the match Game and all that stuff. And that's what I remember them from the most. You know, where where did we see stand up? Except the Ed Sullivan Show, We didn't really well, the Tonight Show and the Night Show. Yeah, that's true Tonight and yeah.
Speaker 2: And uh, Mike Douglas, that's it. List is over, Yeah, done, Yeah, Mike Douglas. Do you know where he records? Where the show from?
Speaker 1: Nowhere?
Speaker 2: Philadelphia?
Speaker 1: Oh that's right, I did know that, Yeah, Philadelpha. How interesting that is it?
Speaker 2: It is really interesting because I don't think there's been a show that's been actually based there of that type. Oh no, I take about American bands.
Speaker 1: American band said, I was just about Clark from Malvern in New York, where I was brought up, and who else grew up in Mount Vern in New.
Speaker 2: York Sheena Easton Veren and Statman Crothers, somebody you know very well Mount Vernon.
Speaker 1: We both went to Malvern in high school together. No, he's ten years younger than me.
Speaker 2: So you're dated.
Speaker 1: No, we did not date. But he's somebody you love.
Speaker 2: The age you love, hold on though the age range of the guys you dated many years ago. Yess much younger than you.
Speaker 1: But I did not date this gentleman happily, not because I'm happy I didn't date it. No, he's ten years younger than me. You think Allen's white bell is ten years younger than me?
Speaker 2: No? Uh? Who JB?
Speaker 1: Smooth?
Speaker 2: Oh JB? By the way, would have never gotten that? Yeah, ab JB?
Speaker 1: Who will be on?
Speaker 2: I haven't had him on yet. It's just occurring to me.
Speaker 1: He didn't come on until I think season six alright.
Speaker 2: Yet, which, by the way, I look forward to that. I love that.
Speaker 1: We love him anyway. So Larry reluctantly helps them, and they they talk about the grape juice being a great antioxidant and underrated juice, and then Ethel the wife says, Larry, did you know that a sex offender moved into the neighborhood.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I saw his picture on a flyer.
Speaker 1: I know it's terrible.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's a ball guy too. Bald guy, Yeah, a bald guy. It's very bad for the bald community.
Speaker 1: Larry. What's very bad for the community is that he's a.
Speaker 2: Six of I know, as long as it's going to be a sex offender, I wish he had a full out of hair.
Speaker 1: That's all Larry.
Speaker 2: A phrase that's never caught on with the show, which is used repeatedly, and I find it so amusing. Is the bald community, the ball community, bald community. It's like, what was the Big Johnson community?
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, that was JB.
Speaker 2: That was the only other time we used a quote community. But the Big Johnson and the Ball to me, I wonder if those communities ever do outreach programs.
Speaker 1: I don't think that they're that cohesive, especially the Big Johnson community.
Speaker 2: Well, by the way, you know who the who runs the Big Johnson community.
Speaker 1: Let yeah, yeah, exactly. So Larry established he hasn't gotten his paper in six days. And Ethel saw the guy who took Larry's paper. He was a man in a suit who came.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's horse Cock Johnson. By the way, I don't I think it.
Speaker 1: Is Horsecott Johnson. It was a man in a suit, and it was not Horsecock Johnson. It was a man in a suit. Horsecot Johnson doesn't necessarily wear a suit.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, you're bringing it back to this episode when I'm with you. I just am going back.
Speaker 1: And Larry said, if you saw the guy again who took the paper, would you recognize him? And Ethel believes that she would. And then we cut to Larry and Jeff leaving a cafe and he's telling you about a guy in a suit stealing his paper and You're like, that makes no sense. You know, why does a guy in a suit? What's the motivation? You say, what's the motivation? And then Larry asked you you're coming to the Sator. He's making the Sator for his father, and you say to Cheryl, if you know what she's doing. It turns out Susie is helping Cheryl, and Susie's sister and brother in law and their kid are in town and the brother in law is a big time conservative and Larry says, bring them all to the Sator.
Speaker 2: This episode has a lot of great scenes with you and your sister is there even a moment.
Speaker 1: No, not really, so he says, Larry says, bring them all to the sator and then you leave and we've established.
Speaker 2: Well you changed the sign behind you every podcast.
Speaker 1: Every couple okay, when I remember, when I remember, I only have three. And then Larry's at a newspaper box, you know the boxes that are on the street. You put the money in and you lift the thing up, and they never work, and they're not working for him. He puts his money in and he's banging on a banging on it. And then a bold man comes over, very very affable and smiley, which is.
Speaker 2: The actor, by the way, playing it all he has to do. By the way, Rob Rob Cardro We just you just said. I was talking over it. But Rob is the most affable, upbeat gentleman you could ever meet.
Speaker 1: And it's terrifically funny, as we shall continue to see.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we give you.
Speaker 3: A hand with that.
Speaker 1: No no, no, no, no, no, let me I'll go.
Speaker 2: I don't even care. I'm not you know what. I don't even care how to do it.
Speaker 1: I got the touch.
Speaker 3: I don't even need to watch, watch, watch, I just know how to do it.
Speaker 2: I know this machine.
Speaker 3: Go ahead, you wont uh, yeah, but I'll close it again and pay for it because you know, just good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, those machines are really finicky. And Larry looks at him and you could tell there's a moment of recognition with Larry looks at him and he's like, you want me to help. He's like no, no, no, no no no no no no no. And then the guy helps him and he's like, I've got the touch and it opens easily, and Larry says, do you want one? And and he says, now, I'll close it again and pay for it. So we're establishing that this man who is a sex offender has some kind of integrity.
Speaker 2: Okay, so this is the second time I saw Larry cast this way, and that is with the Nanny from Hell. Yeah, if I mentioned this we were recording.
Speaker 1: No, because you were actually not in that episode that we didn't Cherry. Oh, Terry recorded.
Speaker 2: Oh, Cherry took over right. Anyhow, there were three two other actors is up for the role. One's going on to be very famous. One is a an icon in her own right. But Larry said the reason he wanted Sherry, who I'm a huge fan of was because the character does some despicable things, not despicable, but is insane. And also he recommends her to you and I. Therefore she has to be light and bouncy and funny, right, And it was a good lesson. This is the same thing. You don't want to have the guy come off as creepy and sinister, right, and Rob Cordrey is Actually it's hard to I mean, look whatever, it's hard to imagine that. Well, by the way, they don't say pedophile, sexyphene.
Speaker 1: And I actually was looking for that because I didn't remember they say sex offender, and you know, sex offender could mean so many different things.
Speaker 2: But there's with him and children. But that's other people's interprets.
Speaker 1: That's other people's interpretation. And nobody said pedophile, and nobody said rapist. He could have been a guy who was caught with porn in some unseemly we don't know exactly.
Speaker 2: Take a step back. Thank god, we're not at a point in this current age where you get quote caught with porn, now porn in terms of magazines, does it he even remotely exists? I mean, even Playboy went out of business.
Speaker 1: I was very carefully watching to see if anything happened that we found out, and nobody ever said pedophile or child.
Speaker 2: Mollic, No, just sex offender.
Speaker 1: So we don't have a sex offense.
Speaker 2: But he wouldn't be a sex offender if he got caught with porn. Susie, you were being very polite.
Speaker 1: All right, Well, I don't know what exactly at that time, whatever.
Speaker 2: Something called his cock was involved in some way or another. And there's no funnier word, asked John Manferlatti than the word cock. The way he says that is very funny.
Speaker 1: So the sex offender does not take a newspaper. And then he introduces himself to Larry because he's a huge Seinfeld fan and he loved Puffy's shirt and he's a how'd you come up with the load talker? He starts engaging Larry, and Larry, you know, is very prone to responding to flattery.
Speaker 2: Well, Larry loves flattery period real and off. But no, no, but even Larry David, the guy lo some very if you're specific with something with him. You know that hasn't been asked a million times. He gets very excited, such as I when people recognize me and tell me how much I or the show is meant to them. Wow, I am touched every time.
Speaker 1: But in this episode Larry is very responsive to this because Larry says, how'd you come up with the low talker? And Larry's like, you want to know the truth? I was out to dinner with one and this guy says, and then you write it down and you put it on the TV. And he's so impressed with that. I'm not an artist. It's incredible, and he introduced himself as Rick left Goowitz.
Speaker 2: Also in the show, the fact that he refers to Larry as an artist. Yeah, oh boy, that's amazing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he introduces himself as Rick Leftgowitz and it's really an honor. And Larry welcomes him to the neighborhood. And then Larry goes home and Cheryl is making heros it. She's chopping up apples, and he says to her, blame what he It's an apple and nuts and honey thing that you use and.
Speaker 2: By the way, made correctly delicious.
Speaker 1: It is delsous and also it represents what I have no idea. I don't know what you're in this sour okay, So Larry says to her, look at the little Jew girl, and she says, Susie's been coaching her and she's making heros it. And Cheryl says, my mother would flip if she knew I was doing this, and she says, you people, and Larry takes offense to that, so she's like you Jews. And it's a nice back and forth, and then she tells him that Marla and Mark got back together and that they're coming to the Satyr tomorrow. And then he tells Cheryl Susie's in laws are coming, and then he realizes. Larry realizes that he never followed through with his Christmas present to Mark. He got him a subscription to the New York Times, and after they broke up, he forgot about it and he never followed through with it. Then he thinks, huh, I'll bet you Mark is the guy who's taking the paper.
Speaker 2: No, think about it, seriously, let's think about it. I can't believe it. Mark is stealing the paper. Holy ship, don't you say? Look he just how long have we not been getting it? Six days? He just moved He moved back in with a week ago.
Speaker 3: You just said that, right, who else, who else would be doing it?
Speaker 1: It's him? Mark is not stealing our newspaper. No, that is the most ridiculous.
Speaker 2: I don't think so.
Speaker 1: Oh, I think so there. He's a doctor. I think he can afford the paper if he wants to get a paper here.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but not if he's upset. But somebody who promised him a gift for Christmas and never follow.
Speaker 1: Through on it, that is so ridiculous. Cheryl pooh poohs him, and Larry says, you know what we should do. We should invite Mac and Ethel to Satyr. And now we know that Larry wants to invite Mac and Ethel to Satyr because he wants Ethel to point out that Mark's been the one.
Speaker 2: Still, that one we know from the get go.
Speaker 1: Yes, but Cheryl doesn't know this.
Speaker 2: Yes, she does question it, and.
Speaker 1: She's like, I have no idea. You like Mac and Ethel so much?
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then she describes them as not the happiest And then and.
Speaker 1: Then Larry says, if Jews don't have anywhere to go for Sator, you're supposed to invite them, which I have heard that that's true. Correct, Yes, yes, we'll.
Speaker 4: Be right back, stay tuned, Okay, we're back.
Speaker 1: And then Larry is at the store doing obviously doing a bunch of shopping for Sator's stuff, and he's got a lot of packages and it's awkward and he runs into Rick Lefkowitz again, the sex offender, and Rick says, oh, let me give you a hand. He's just so affable. And he sees the golf club in Larry's trunk. It says four iron and you know Rick Lefkowitz plays golf, and Larry says he replaces four iron with a nine wood and Rick wants to help him with his golf gar.
Speaker 2: No, no, but what is the exchange they have? He said, are you a golfer? And then.
Speaker 1: Breathe and eat? You know something like that.
Speaker 2: No, he says, do I live and breathe and eat? And then he goes, that's all after golf or something like that.
Speaker 1: And it was an avid golfer.
Speaker 2: And by the way, that was a great improv right, that was a great moment.
Speaker 1: And he tells Larry that in his backyard he's got a big setup with the camera to improve a swing. And he says, what are you doing right now? Nothing, let's go, but Rick Leftwoodz doesn't have a car, so he has to get into well.
Speaker 2: Really, no, no, no, but you're missing an important beat, which just do you want some Cheetos? And then he takes a back of Cheetos. From first off, the idea of Larry buying Cheetos is funny. And for those of you wondering, they were the crunchy Cheetos, not the puffy.
Speaker 1: And I don't they get all of your face?
Speaker 2: Oh no, I love the crunching ones. But guess what can't have them? They're filled with MSGA.
Speaker 1: That's why they're delicious because it's all the soults.
Speaker 2: No MSG.
Speaker 1: Wait, that's the puffy ones. That not Cheetos, those the cheese doodles.
Speaker 2: No, the puffy one's different company entirely.
Speaker 1: So they are in the backyard and they're watching in slow motion and he sees his hips what it was, hips it and it's amazing. His whole golf Swingers has changed. It's an A plus. Larry's thrilled, and then Rick says to him, what do you do for passover?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 1: Uh, I'm just having some people over.
Speaker 2: Oh really, yeah, what are you doing? Nothing? Nothing? Totally free? You want to come to my house? No?
Speaker 4: Really?
Speaker 3: Oh well all right, okay, okay, great, great, you don't have to know.
Speaker 2: It sounds great.
Speaker 1: I mean I'm got nothing else to do. Sure, yeah, of course, thank you. Yeah, I'll bring Lacus.
Speaker 2: Okay, great.
Speaker 1: Great.
Speaker 2: By the way, a couple of things. A couple of things, Larry thinks he's gotten away with it because Rick goes, I don't know, and Larry goes, okay, you know what I mean. He moves on. But also, did you recognize where that little golf setup was. No, it's around the block and Brenton what it's the house we used to always have lunch at. Ah, that's where well, actually we still did this past. Yes, yes, I'm not mistaken, but yeah I was behind there.
Speaker 1: Well, let me just clarify for people. You know, on set, you have to feed lunch to one hundred crew members, so it's always locations. It's always a major thing to find where you're going to have lunch. There was one house near our TV house, at Larry's TV house that would allow us to use their backyard. I mean would set up tables there and have lunch there. Just so people know.
Speaker 2: One of the weird not weird things, but unusual things is that house that we filmed in was empty, so we owned it, and that was kind of like having a sound stage that house.
Speaker 1: I mean Larry's house, Larry's house.
Speaker 2: We own that house, you know, owning.
Speaker 1: They didn't own it, they rented it.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, that's not what I'm saying. You know, the term own means do we own this wherever you film?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah the day.
Speaker 2: We own that for a whole season, which is very unusual. If I had, let's say, a puppet collection, I could keep it in the basement there. Nothing would happen.
Speaker 1: You know, our house this particular season, I have no memory of.
Speaker 2: It is a very fine house.
Speaker 1: I have no memory of that house. We've had so many houses this season, this season that we're doing now, season five, we've had so many houses.
Speaker 2: It was it was in the palace. No, this was like one of the ones that was a season or two or whatever. Yeah, yeah, I remember it.
Speaker 1: But so Larry goes home and Cheryl says, what took you so long? He tells her about this guy. He met this guy and he changes golf the thing and it changed his life. And he says he invited him to Satya and Cherff's like, oh, that's so sweet of you. He's alone that was so kind of you. And then Larry says, I forgot to mention.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, no, no, hold on, we think the scene is over. He walks up the stairs. Halfway up the stairs is when he says, oh, by the.
Speaker 1: Way, way I know what, he's a sex defender.
Speaker 2: I thought as I was watching it, I thought, if any one of us was in that situation, will we even bring up sex offender? You know, which, by the way, is funny the way you defend her.
Speaker 1: Whoever she would have known because the flyer's been out there.
Speaker 2: Yeah when he arrived, but not a minute before. But also I think that's the angriest I ever saw her at. Larry.
Speaker 1: Oh God, she's well, I don't blame her. You do not invite a sex offender over for dinner without talking to me first. And Larry says to her, Cheryl, what would Jesus do?
Speaker 2: And that, by the way, that completely shut her up, which was really funny.
Speaker 1: And then he says he's a Jew, He's a Jew, He's a Jew. And then we hear the Klasman music and it is the It's the Satyr and Larry is talking to my brother in law, who is Steven Tobolowski. Now, why don't you talk about Stephen Tobolowski, because I know you know him much better than Jimen.
Speaker 2: Tobolowski is a character actor. You know ned ned Ryerson if you remember him from groundhog Day. That was probably my favorite role he ever did. Ironically, I auditioned for that role amongst a few others in Groundhog Day, and obviously I did not get it, but he was on the Goldbergs with me. He played the principal of the school. But I'm talking about the guy that I've known since the eighties, who is a He's one of the great comedic character actors in Hollywood.
Speaker 1: Terrific he is. And he starts going into Larry about the theory of seventy seven.
Speaker 5: Every seventy seven years there's a great president Washington. And then you go seventy seven years, seventy seven years, Yeah, there's what's that guy's name, FDFDR, And then another seventy seven years you got w really, and then I think we're in.
Speaker 2: Historic Washington, Lincoln FDR and George W. Bush.
Speaker 5: That's right, and we're turning the whole damn world around.
Speaker 1: How every seventy seven years is a great President Washington. This was not in the outline really though, I don't think so.
Speaker 2: No, it's too absurd to be in the outline. And I love it.
Speaker 1: So it's like Washington, Lincoln, FDR, and then George W. Bush every seventy seven years turn and he's like, we're turning the whole damn world around.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And by the way, really quite extraordinary, you know, because and that was before all the conspiracy theorist stuff. That's what I'm saying. This was when it really was absurdism, if you will, you know.
Speaker 1: Okay, Then his wife, my sister, says, did you remember to call your mother? And Larry walks away, and he and Jeff, Larry and Jeff you just exchanged looks of like whoa this guy? Whoa?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: And then Larry walks over to Mark, who was played by Rob. Do you pronounce it hubble or Hubele? I never know, Belle h Bell Bell.
Speaker 2: Rob is one of my favorite people and makes he's one of all right in my book, I'm not talking about out there, but in terms of making me and by the way, he does make people laugh and he's very popular, but.
Speaker 1: For me, he's transparent. He was on the lead things.
Speaker 2: Yes, But that being said, he's one of those guys that has my number. And there are certain people like Zach Galfanakis who I never ask, like, can you do that joke again? But when I watch him do stand up, he destroys me. And in film, huh yeah. As a matter of fact, a very underrated movie is I think called Is That the Candidate the Election with Will Ferrell and Zach galfan Akis. Jay Roach directed it, and Zach is so funny in that movie. Anyhow, Rob Hubell is one of those people that just has my number. So what I did to him on set, which he has never forgotten, would be we'd all be sitting at the passover table and I would go, Rob, tell them that story of when you worked at the Oceanarium, and he would make up a story, well, you know, and the way he would do it, like the way he played characters when he said, Larry, I'm a doctor, with that kind of seriousness, he would tell the story. I must have did it to him while we were working a dozen times and there wasn't one time where it didn't drive me to tears. And then after he was done, he'd go Jeff Garland with like a nod, like to everyone like, why do you think I just did that? You know that feeling? Except you always say no.
Speaker 1: I don't say no, I just ignore you. Okay, all right. So Larry says to Mark it's nice to see him and Marla back together, and then he asks him, you know you're a doctor. Do you see a lot of naked women? And Mark says I'm a cosmetic surgeon. Yes, And Larry says, you ever get aroused? And he finds out a very inappropriate question. He's a professional. And then Larry says.
Speaker 2: Tell me if you think this is an appropriate question. Huh, I mean no disrespect. Have you been stealing my newspaper? Yes, that is an inappropriate qu so that's true inappropriate questions.
Speaker 1: But I have not stealing your newspaper, Larry, that's appalling.
Speaker 5: Really yeah, really, Larry, I'm quite sure I haven't been taking it.
Speaker 2: Are you positive? Mark?
Speaker 1: Have you been stealing my newspaper? And again an inappropriate question, and they have a stare down, and then Jeff will.
Speaker 2: By the way, this is one of my favorite staredowns for whatever reason, in the history of the show. Yes, but you know, I've never been a fan of the stairdown until the rewatching of it. And now they all kill me.
Speaker 1: Well, some of them work and some of them don't.
Speaker 2: I think, Actually I think by the way, I disagree. As I've been watching the show, every one of them has made me laugh pretty heartily, if you will.
Speaker 1: Good. Yeah, So you and Larry start talking about, you know, the brother in law, and I walk over with Sammy and we all discuss a he's quite a piece of work, the brother in law and blah blah, and Rick enters, Rick Lefkowitz enters.
Speaker 2: Well, lock at the door, and Larry opens it. Yeah, look at this boy, Oh boy, how are you great? How you doing very good? Good to see it. Yeah, this is nice. Yeah, this is one of my least favorite moments on these shows. That is just unnatural. Infuriates me. It literally does. And I say, we shouldn't. Why are we shooting this like this? And that is everyone. Once he enters, everyone is in shock. Now everyone includes people who don't live in the neighborhood, like your your brother in law and your sister and the children. They've got the children involved. Everyone is looking with their mouths aghast, and they're all staged in a semi circle, and it's like, give me a fucking break, it's so false. Those things really infuriate me.
Speaker 1: See if they don't infuriate me, because I feel like it's a comedic license moments, a bad license for a comedic. So everybody stares at him, and Larry's like, this guy completely changed my life. So I pulled Larry aside and I just say, what the hell are you trying to pull Larry? And he's like, he has nowhere to go. He's a good addition, he's got a great personality, and I'm like, he should not be in our presence on a holy day. And then the doorbell rings and macinnethe will come in and Max starts complaining everybody parked in front of my house, and Ethel takes a look around the room.
Speaker 2: He's very angry that everyone is parked in front of his and Larry says, you're here, and what is it better.
Speaker 1: Place now? Because he's just a question. He's just a nobody.
Speaker 2: By the way, that's really funny and I believed it now. Yeah, Larry says to her.
Speaker 1: Take a look around the room. Is there anybody that you recognize?
Speaker 2: Now? When we cut to the room, it's different people in conversation, which is what it should have been before when the what you know, what you'll call it enters Now we don't.
Speaker 1: Know, you know.
Speaker 2: She gets to the robs, okay, who are talking the two robs and she but I don't know what they're talking about, the plastic surgeon and the sex offender, but they're having a conversation, and then she.
Speaker 1: Sees the sex offense what we know.
Speaker 2: As a sex offender, but it could be the other one.
Speaker 1: That's why I don't think so. I think she's upset about the sex offense.
Speaker 2: I'm saying, yeah, that's what we know. She's looking yet, But Larry is like, is she shocked at seeing which one? And I think he pretty much knows, but that's why he keeps on wanting to wake her up so she can say she wants.
Speaker 1: To wake her up so she could identify Rob. He doesn't give a sex offen. Yes, yes, So Ethel sees the sex offender and faints, and then they all carry her up to the room and Rob checks on her, and she'll be out for a couple of hours, and Larry's snapping in front of her face and clapping and you know, trying to wake her up.
Speaker 4: We'll be right back, stay tuned.
Speaker 1: Okay, we're back, And then we cut to the Sator and Shelley is reading the Hagada and I remember this day that Shelley had. By the way down.
Speaker 2: The way, you said, the Hagada is so Jewish that how could people not assume that you're very Jewish?
Speaker 1: Well, I'm not religious in any way.
Speaker 2: Well, by the way, you know what, you don't come off religious, and it's obvious is in the next episode, Oh yes, you don't.
Speaker 1: I remember this this episode. I was so pissed off at Shelley because the prop people are putting the Sator together and they were a Christian, both of them, Ane Marie and Dort At Dort who once said to you, what's a yard moulky when he had to get yam because it was like a prior probably you know, when we were doing the High Holy Days. He didn't even know what a yamica was.
Speaker 2: And to say that the guy's never even seen he's probably seen him and not not questions.
Speaker 1: I know what it is, but I remember he said, what's the yard multi? Anyway, they mistakenly put meat and dairy on the same way.
Speaker 2: Ironically, he knew what a kep was, isn't that crazy was but knew what to keep it was.
Speaker 1: And they put meat and dairy on the same plate because they didn't know. They didn't know, And Shelley got so nasty with them, yelling and screaming at them. He really kissed me off that day. For god, he really pissed. Oh my God, made a mistake.
Speaker 2: I remember so clearly, but I completely forgot that he lost his ship, which, by the way, he is in the next episode, you know, another version of.
Speaker 1: Him, Yes, another version of that. But that was funny. But this, this was completely inappropriate of him to get so angry at these prop people.
Speaker 2: They were just doing their Jokelly was an old man.
Speaker 1: It pissed me off, by the way, an old man.
Speaker 2: And you know, Shelley has a history of being what us Jews call him mashuk. Yeah. And he was a comedic genius who sometimes got a little bit cristy.
Speaker 1: If I'm giving a tidbit.
Speaker 2: So see you say something funny, I laughed, So I guess nothing I'm saying is funny.
Speaker 1: So Larry says, I laugh. Sometimes Larry says, get ready, kids, I'm gonna hide the matza, and whoever finds the matsa is gonna get a dollar. And Larry goes to hide it.
Speaker 2: And by the way, if I may, the mistake Larry makes, which a lot of adults do it pass Over. And one of the things is that we do at Passover, which as a kid I loved and I do remember somebody cheating in one of the You find the matza, you get a dollar. That's always been probably today even you find the maza, you get a dollar, or maybe now it's you find the maza, you get an iPhone. An iPhone now in the in the houses on the west side. But Larry puts it in a drawer. You want to leave it wasn't.
Speaker 1: Wasn't.
Speaker 2: The proper hide is where it's out in the open. But you probably won't notice it because kids shouldn't be going through.
Speaker 1: Okay, can I tell you? Can I tell you my matza story because it was the true way.
Speaker 2: Let's take a step back. You're saying that as if we all have maatza stories.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm gonna tell you my matza story, whether you have.
Speaker 2: I don't have a manza story. Most people don't have. I've enjoyed mazza. I like putting butter on a lightly salted matza. But that masa, my mom's called fried matza. I didn't know it was manza bride till years later. That's what I'm saying about my house. Although we were all right.
Speaker 1: So so I'm five years old.
Speaker 2: Is this your manza story? Excuse me for interrupting, this is your maza.
Speaker 1: Yes, it's my matza story. I'm five years old and my mother, my mother didn't just hide one piece of masa. She hired h so all over the house, so everybody got to find the matza, so nobody was left out. And I was the youngest. All my cousins and siblings were older than me. So everybody goes to my grandfather with the matsa, and he gave them each five dollars. And I was five years old, and he gives me a dollar. And then I see my cousin Debbie has a five. And I went over to my grandfather and I was like, how come she has a five and you only gave me a dollar? And he went, aha, oh that was a mistake. And I knew he was lying. The motherfucker. I knew he was lying and he was just being cheap with me. I tried to save four dollars because I was only five years old, and I never liked him from that moment on.
Speaker 2: All right, let's take a step back. That's not a Mata story. That's a broken relationship with a grandparent.
Speaker 1: Correct over Matsa, which, by the.
Speaker 2: Way, Mata's story could be a sort of pseudonym for a grandfather. And by the way, in all sincerity, did you ever get along with him after that?
Speaker 1: No, I didn't like him. After I got along with him, fine, but I didn't like him and I didn't trust him.
Speaker 2: So through a huh, four dollars.
Speaker 1: Heships relationship with his gram And don't think children are stupid. They're really smart one and they know exactly what's going on.
Speaker 2: There's only one thing you shouldn't do with children, and that's sarcasm, because they kids don't get sarcasm. You know, they're they're very literal. I mean, yeah, they are.
Speaker 1: But I knew he was. It was a mistake.
Speaker 2: I knew he was a douchebag. Do you know that? Later that afternoon, I got in the fistfight with him. I did so, and then they had to be four dollars for a fight. Well fought four dollars.
Speaker 1: So Larry hides the matza in the drawer and the brother in law is walking out of the bathroom and sees where Larry hid the matza at that moment, and then he's okay. Kids start looking and Larry sits back down, and Max says to him, any luck with finding the guy stealing your paper? And Larry says, no luck at all, and the Max says, you know, my wife got a really good look. She never forgets a face, and all of a sudden, Mark starts to get choked. He starts to choke. Hopefully she'll wake up soon. And the kids are looking for the masa in the bedroom where Ethel is asleep, passed out, and Larry walks in. He says, all right, kids, beat it, no matza here, and he's trying to wake her up. He's jumping on the pet and he's playing congos. I don't know where the congas came.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's just take take a step back again. The idea that Larry David has congas in the guest room. This stuff always irritated the fuck out of me because look, there are like you know where you start to go. Okay, come on, let's just let that go. Larry David playing congas, by the way, always a funny visual, but again, what show is this? It's just the tone is off, and I.
Speaker 1: Get I have a conga in my office. Jeff bet she didn't know that.
Speaker 2: I did not know that. But if we knew that, never mind.
Speaker 1: Anyway, he's trying to wake her up. She's out, and then he goes back down to the table and he lies. He says that Ethel should be down soon, and Mac was like, what was all the noise? And Larr's all, my foot fell asleep, and all of a sudden, Mark looks at his pager and he has to go, and Larry's like, very suspicious, he didn't hear anything.
Speaker 2: Well, no, by the way, I love his excuse. I keep the volume very low, Larry.
Speaker 1: Yes, and it's on vibrate And Larry's like, aren't you a cosmetic surgeon. He's like, I have an emergency. I have to go.
Speaker 2: As I explained, I've been paged by this emergency, boob job, no doubt.
Speaker 1: I've been paged for a medical emergency because I am a doctor.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, yes, yes, you're a doctor. Yes, yes, of course you're a doctor. It's a medical situation. Yet you're ucky that old lady fainted.
Speaker 1: I don't know what you're talking about.
Speaker 2: I know you did.
Speaker 1: I'm a doctor, you idiot, and he leaves. Then Rick wants to speak privately. Rick the sex offender wants to speak privately to Larry and he's got a difficult moral quandary.
Speaker 2: By the way, for me, the moments with Rick are the funniest in the show. Oh hilarious, No, no, but Rob does a great job. But in terms of tone, the curb tone, and the irony of him being a sex offender partnering up with Larry, these are the best moments. And my two favorite moments are this and what follows. So go with this.
Speaker 1: So Rick is like he's in a moral quandary and he's very serious, and Larry's like, I'm not the right person to talk to and Rick was, I saw something shocking, And.
Speaker 2: Then that's what piqued Larry's interest. Yes, sir, he's saying something about being a sex offender, right, And then he's like, what what happened at my house?
Speaker 1: And he said he saw the father whisper something in Stevie's ear, and then right after that, Stevie found the matza and Larry's like, okay, I'll take it from here. He's very you know, he's going to take care of this, and Larry sits back down and Stevie as for his dollar, and Larry's you know what made you go back to the bookcase the second time? Stevie and his father's like, pay up with that accent. He found the maza, so pay up, and like, Larry's you told her where it was? And how do you know? My friend told me and said.
Speaker 2: Nobody, No, you told him where it was. How do you know? He turns to Rob. This is my favorite moment in the host show, and Rob reluctantly like it needs to be done. He gives him a nod, and it needs to be done. I love the little things like the Sun episode, like where Phil Rosenthal when Kevin Neeling comes rushing in and then Phil just looks up at it. I took an orange and it's just perfect perfection.
Speaker 1: And then I think it's the brother in law, says your friend, the convicted sex offender.
Speaker 2: My friend told me.
Speaker 1: That's how I know he saw your whisper in your son's ear and then washed as he ran to the bookcase and dams.
Speaker 2: Oh, your friend, the convicted sex offender. You your.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, is something wrong with Sammy? Sammy?
Speaker 2: Get up?
Speaker 1: Get up? What's the matter, honey? What is it? She can't read, she can't reread? Does anyone know? Mouth to mouth?
Speaker 2: I do?
Speaker 1: And then all hell breaks loose and everybody says and then suddenly Sammy, who's at the kids table, is choking. She can't breathe, and I'm like, Sammy, Sammy, Sammy, does anyone no mouth to mouth?
Speaker 2: And Rick says, I do, And then what happens at that moment everyone stops and stares at him as the little girl.
Speaker 1: Sammy's still choking.
Speaker 2: I see, this is the ship that makes me fucking nuts. All right, well it's a comedy. We guess we can't have a real choking child.
Speaker 1: But well she lived because we know she's in future.
Speaker 2: She also faked having a bone and yeah.
Speaker 1: Then it's it's the next morning and his paper is there down on the front steps. He opens the paper and he sees an article in the bottom of the fold. It says emergency surgery to reattach hand doctor leaves Sader. Okay, not the greatest end.
Speaker 2: No, no, it's for an ending. No, but I believe, like I give up, like that's not gonna make the front page, but for comedic purposes, I'm okay with that being on the front page. I just hate when Bond goes and children choking like people in a neat semi circle staring. And by the way, what made me really upset about the steering is I mentioned is the fact that a lot of those people didn't know he was the sex offender, and that I just get all right.
Speaker 1: You know what, Jeff, I know that this was not your favorite. I enjoyed this episode, but I guarantee you that you're gonna love the next episode that we well.
Speaker 2: By the way, because I know it's one of our favorites, and also it's I would say it's in our top five in terms of fan favorites.
Speaker 1: And I also believe me, never hold on.
Speaker 2: I've heard that term for years. I never thought I would say fan favorite also describing my show fan our show fan favorite. But it is a fan favorite.
Speaker 1: It is a fat and it's a Larry David favorite. And you'll have to come listen to us next week to find out what it is.
Speaker 2: Please do and I appreciate you listening.
Speaker 1: Bye bye. The history of Curb Your Enthusiasm is a production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.