Speaker 1: Welcome to Fantasy Football Weekly, a production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Time now for Fantasy Football Weekly from iHeartRadio, your weekly source for the nation's best fantasy football advice, speculation, and whatever stupid stuff they decide to drop into the show. Now, here's your host, Paul Chargian.
Speaker 1: Welcome to Fantasy Football Weekly. I am Paul Charchie and it's a Draft day edition. Brian Johnson, your excitement level very excited.
Speaker 3: How excited are you two after this podcast? You can you've been talking to a microphone for what forty eight straight hours? Feel that way about the draft?
Speaker 1: Yes, but it's excited to bring it all together. And this time I get to talk about this draft strictly from a fantasy perspective, which is great. That's what we love. That's what we're here for. Ten players, fantasy players taken in the in the first round of the draft, and we will recap all of them, landing spots where we think they're gonna go good bad.
Speaker 4: They're not all good. Some some of these spots were not ideal.
Speaker 1: Jackson Smith and Jigbod you know, just.
Speaker 3: Not to tip my hand to watch a couple couple head scratchers. Can I vent real quick. At this must be at least the fifth year they've been doing like the primetime thing. Round one is on Friday or Thursday.
Speaker 4: Round Yeah, at least that long.
Speaker 3: I with every year that passes, I miss the weekend draft on even more. Yeah, I love rolling out of bed right just turning on ESPN at like eleven and just leaving it on for for for two straight days, I know, and like like the pretty Internet days, like you could only rely on the ticker at the bottom. That was it. Like say you tune like round four, you missed a couple rounds, and like I know it always tune in and like right when like the Giants pick would go by and you're like, ah, you have to sit there and watch twenty minutes before it went all the way through and back with those those were the days. But of course watching every second of this, it's great that it's finally happening.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's the drama. It's it's soap opera for sports fans, and it's yeah, I love it.
Speaker 4: And it's a culminations cumulation, culmination, culmination. Thank you of problem.
Speaker 1: Several months of speculation by us and a year of work by these teams and you know, it's when you learn how much effort the teams put into this. One of our guests on my local radio show in kfa N was the longtime director of college scouting for the Vikings, Scott Studwell, and he was saying, you know, every one of these drafts, we had a we had profiles of one thousand players, Like, there's only going to be two hundred and whatever sixty drafted. We got a thousand, Like sure, was it overkill?
Speaker 4: Always?
Speaker 1: But you never wanted to be in a position where you know, your general manager would come up and say what about this guy, and that you have no answer.
Speaker 3: It may definitely drill in off the field stuff. And you know, like the movie Draft Day, everyone knows like the infamous, you know, like who went to Bo Callahan's birthday party. That's probably not that far off in terms of the research they do.
Speaker 1: Uh, the Will Levis slide, there was tons of drama. I I'm totally cool with that. It's obviously obviously work got out on Levis. There were plenty of teams that needed quarterbacks that passed, and you know there's there were there were concerns for sure, but we'll you'll.
Speaker 3: Go early early early second round. There are some teams that should be drafting him.
Speaker 1: Tennessee I believe as the eleventh pick in.
Speaker 3: The second the Rams have like the third or fourth MS makes sense. Yeah, Seattle I think is in the top ten.
Speaker 4: Seattle's thirty seven.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, there are Tennessees in that range.
Speaker 1: Tennessee I mentioned, right, Yeah, there are other teams. And you know, if I were Atlanta, I'd be thinking about it.
Speaker 4: But that's just me.
Speaker 1: But other people think Atlanta's set at quarterback forever.
Speaker 3: The real knock on Levis is the mayo and the coffee, which I don't get that one.
Speaker 4: The banana peel, eating the banana.
Speaker 3: I did the research. Hold on, let me pull us up. Really, I'm going to start putting banana peels in my smoothies. I'm not straight up eating the banana peel, but I'll put it.
Speaker 1: You'll make it into a smooth it'll be all, it'll stringy, I'll.
Speaker 3: Chop it up good. So you're straight from Google, So it has to be true. Banana peels are packed with polypethanol, poly phenols.
Speaker 1: Oh that's what I need, some polyphenox carotin, carotenoids.
Speaker 3: That's probably not how you pronounce it, and other antioxidants that fight cancer causing free radicals in your body. Eating more banana peels, especially green unripe peels, can increase your antioxidant levels and help reduce your risk of cancer.
Speaker 4: So I'm gonna roll the dice on the cancer.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they can't taste good, and the little like stem that no stems out on the way out on the way out of that would not work out.
Speaker 1: Let's go through these picks in order the order they were selected. Uh, the least surprising selection of the entire night was Carolina going Bryce Young.
Speaker 3: Yeah, supposedly. I mean why would they announced. I feel like every draft the last ten years, if the quarterbacks going first, even if it's a non quarterback, the team will announce it. And they bled the clock too.
Speaker 4: But that's just the annoying part is why are they bleeding the clock? Why did they use the full ten minutes?
Speaker 3: Well, I think ESPN makes them do that for programming. Advertised very well be but yes, as expected Bryce Young.
Speaker 1: So from a fantasy perspective, I think there is great news. I'm a Bryce Young believer. I do believe that Carolina nailed the best quarterback in this draft, or the best prospect in this draft? Is he the best fantasy prospect? Well, no, because Anthony Richardson's upside is higher.
Speaker 4: We'll talk about him in a minute, of course.
Speaker 1: But what Bryce Young is going to do is deliver a very catchable ball to the weapons that he's got on. The weapons he's got right now are middling, but Bryce Young will in time have better weapons around him. And I think he's an extremely safe dynasty selection, fantasy use. Maybe a fringe starter this year, you know, once in a you know, super a super flex starter often, yeah, but a one quarterback starter rarely.
Speaker 3: Yeah. The only knock on him is this, he's a little undersized, but there have been a successful undersized quarterbacks in NFL history, and yeah, and redraft for redraft purposes in one quarterback league, he's been going as quarterback twenty two And that's not going to change a whole lot because people were basically expecting him to be drafted by Carolina. So not not the top backup fantasy quarterback I'm gonna be targeting, but uh, we'll see, We'll see how it goes. I mean, Carolina, like you said, they had some decent options for him. To throw too. Uh So, yeah, a safe pick, not the sexiest, but the safest pick.
Speaker 1: Houston put their big boy pants on and went with picks two and three. We care about CJ. Stroud, so let's talk that through. Stroud is got a kind of a dearth of weapons. That part is going to be a complicating factor for him. Nico Collins, Robert Woods, Noah Brown. Maybe John Michi will step up and end up, you know, having the kind of career that we you know, we'd hope he'd have, minus the leukemia. So that might be, you know, that might be a factor. But I just you know, from a surroundings standpoint, I love what they're building in Houston. I don't know that that this is going to pay off in fantasy terms significantly in the short term.
Speaker 3: Yeah, when they made the Stroud pick, before they traded up to three, they held the twelfth pick, and it seems like, okay, they're going to take Jackson Smith and Jagway with a twelve. Yes, Stroud's teammate at Ohio State, but that didn't happen. So and by the way, we don't talk you're tired of talking reality football or those angles. But Houston gave up way too much.
Speaker 1: They did that to move, Yeah, to move from twelve to three. Yeah, the Cardinals could surrounder a first round or a second rounder and a third rounder.
Speaker 3: Come on, the Cardinals could have the top two picks next year because Houston is not going to be that good. But Stroud up amazing numbers in college. But he played on an amazing team at Ohio State. They're head and shoulders above every other team in college football. Good arm, not great, He's accurate, good pocket awareness, but again, his pockets aren't gonna be as clean in the NFL as they were at Ohio State. He's not really known for his mobility or his ability to improvise under pressure, but he can improve on that. But in terms of redraft and dynasty, he's a tick below Bryce Young to me, just because of the weapons around him. Yeah, primarily really, at least this year, Houston's got a Yeah, they got to bolster that arsenal a little bit for for Stroud to really succeed. So he's going a little bit after Bryce Young and redraft leagues around QB twenty four. But but yeah, again Young Stroud. The safer picks, the sexier pick is who we are going to talk about next.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the next going up is Anthony Richardson and this is this is my preferred fantasy quarterback because of the rushing upside that he gives you. And we all know that rushing quarterbacks are cheat code in fantasy and you can win leagues with the right rushing quarterback, and anthink Richardson.
Speaker 4: Gives you that upside.
Speaker 1: Now, obviously ultra ultra raw product who may not see the field for a long time this year. You know, not that Gardner Minshew's great, but he's If you ask me who's starting Week one, I think there's at least a fifty to fifty chance it's Gardner Minshew.
Speaker 3: I think it's got to be Gardner Minshew. I mean, Richardson has started thirteen college games. That's it. I mean, you it doesn't matter how good of an athlete you are going into the NFL. I can't say from experience, but it's not easy to play quarterback in the NFL, especially when you only play thirteen started thirteen games in college right as a quarterback. So yeah, Richardson really more. You know, he's the top dynasty target if you're not drafting Bijon Robinson, whether you're in a one quarterback or super flex leagues, or I think Bijon is really going to go first in both formats. I think Richardson is the second pick over over Stroud and Young.
Speaker 1: Yeah, big arm he could you know in time, if it turns out Richardson can pass, you know, his upside is the highest scoring fantasy quarterback in the league. That's the kind of upside Richardson could potentially give you. Nobody else in this draft class has that kind of upside.
Speaker 3: He's almost quite literally the most freakish athlete prospects. Yeah, at any position in NFL history.
Speaker 1: Michael Pittman is a legitimate target. Alec Pierce had some promising moments last year. After that, the receiver talent dries up. But I like the tight ends, you know, you know I feel about Johnny Woods.
Speaker 3: He's a monster. He's bigger than the offensive lineman we've seen him six eight.
Speaker 4: I love my tight ends like that.
Speaker 3: And yeah, like you said, Jonathan Taylor to hopefully keep defensive defenses honest, So but again, I'll be the Colts have to be out of it, mathematically eliminated for him to see the field. In my opinion. Granted that might only take seven or eight weeks. I think odds are will see Richardson on the field. But I'm with you, I think they got to roll with Minshew at least the first month two months of the season.
Speaker 1: The next player up Atlanta drafted Bejon Robinson. There had been a lot of talk that this was a possibility. This was the highest realistic landing spot for Bijon, and he goes here and for all the people like running backs can never go in the first you know, shouldn't ever go in the first round, Well, you know, we had guys go at eight and twelve, So this is the first And from a landing spot, it's fascinating because we know the Falcons want to run a lot, but everything they've ever shown us suggests they want to do it in a committee.
Speaker 3: Yeah. And Tyler l Gier over a thousand yards last year as a fourth round rookie did great. But he's he's done essentially. From a fantasy perspective, I mean, he's a handcuff if you happen to have Bijon. But yeah, Arthur Smith loves to run the ball. But man, if you're drafting Bjon Robinson, eighth overall, he'd better be getting seventy seventy five percent of the touches and and that that's carries and receiving. He's an elite receiver, runs a full route tree and that NFC South is wide open.
Speaker 1: So it is Yeah, Falcons could win it as easily as anybody else.
Speaker 3: Yep, they have a good chance of getting in the tournament. The playoff set is so they better really use Bijon and a bell cow roller the closest thing you can to it. And again number one pick in most formats, dynasty leagues, and right now, even before the draft, he was going as RB four. Yeah, on underdog and there's a good landing spot and we I think now he's going to get up in that RB two range right after McCaffrey. He's gonna challenge Jonathan Taylor and Austin Eckler. People are sort of falling out of favor with him. But Robinson was a threat to go to the Chargers. That didn't happen, So I think Eckler is a little safer than he was pre draft. But yeah, Bijon easily top three running back in redraft.
Speaker 1: Right Atlanta had the second highest rushing play percentage behind only Chicago. But Chicago did it based on running their quarterback. The Falcons didn't. From a pure running back standpoint, Atlanta was number one. And that's why Bijon Scott so is such a tantalizing opportunity. We know Arthur Smith wants to run the ball, and we also know that Bejon Robinson's a special back. What will be fascinating to find out is does Arthur Smith, when given the talent that Bejon Robinson have, has go Derrick Henry on the situation and really have and really crystallized on one player like Arthur Smith used to in Tennessee. Or does he like to play around with a bunch of different running backs in a committee like he.
Speaker 4: Did the last couple of years.
Speaker 1: Or was that just a product of the fact that nobody deserved all the carries.
Speaker 3: Only time will tell. But I don't love this from a Kyle Pitts perspective.
Speaker 1: You don't love this from a Kyle Pitts perspective. And this is my ongoing concern with Kyle Pitts.
Speaker 4: And you didn't hear this. Uh.
Speaker 1: We did a Fantasy Football Weekly micro Tyler and I Tyler took your side of this, and my my main thing is it's not about whether Kyle Pitts is good or bad. He's in an offense that's never going to feature him, and this cements that storyline.
Speaker 3: I believe this would This should, uh, you know, take some pressure off Pits though, as long as he's not blocking for Bjohn Robinson. But hopefully that's uh John new Smith's job. Now.
Speaker 4: Tyler L.
Speaker 1: Geer pennies on the dollar in Dynasty.
Speaker 3: Formats pretty much. Uh, Matt, Matt Harrison, you are a co host. He offered me Tyler L. Geer for the tenth pick in our Empire League draft, and I was like, I'm gonna see because if you recall when we did running Back a couple of weeks ago, DraftKings sports Book nailed it. They had the Falcons had the best odds. They were like plus five hundred draft bijon. So I'm like, I'm not I'm not traded in the tenth overall pick for be John Robinson's likely backup.
Speaker 1: Let's go to pick number twelve in a very surprising spot, Jamiir Gibbs, who we love, ends up with Detroit. Now Detroit, we just did a fantasy football micro on David Montgomery, and I picked that because I with DeAndre Swift there, I didn't think they were likely to put an early pick into running back, so I thought we could pretty safely talk about Montgomery as the probable lead back and the probable goal line back, which he still is because Jamior Gibbs is not that kind of player, but fascinating landing spot on an ascending offense, and man, jam Gibbs is exciting, he.
Speaker 3: Is, and supposedly if the Lions weren't able to trade down because they had the sixth, sixth pick, they were gonna still take Gibbs.
Speaker 4: It says a lot.
Speaker 3: So yeah, and they could have traded down again, by the way, Yeah, they loved and no one was taking him anywhere. No, no, maybe not even the first round. I mean, no other running backs got taken in the first round, so.
Speaker 1: I think so Cincinnati would have taken him, got all the way, you know, had he slid all the way to wherever they were thirty, I think so.
Speaker 3: Yeah, probably the biggest head scratcher from round one, at least from a you know, a fantasy perspective, until they trade DeAndre Swift, which seems inevitable at this point Detroit and Gibbs will slide into that role an elite receiver and it's a great spot for him. Jared Goff was thirtieth in average depth of target last year. But yeah, David Montgomery probably gonna still get the goal line work. But Gibbs was going around running back seventeen before the draft, and I you know, people might be scared until Swift gets traded. But again, that's that's gonna happen at some point, one would think. And I could see Gibbs getting up in that top twelve range for running backs in PPR formats.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I can too. I can too.
Speaker 3: We're talkingpr eighty catches.
Speaker 1: I feel like for he could have eighty catches and he's so dynamic after the catch and so fast he could score.
Speaker 4: You know, he's gonna be go on to this guy. He's going to.
Speaker 1: Score some thirty forty fifth yard touchdowns. My worry end Gibbs is just inside the five. It's gonna be Jamal Williams all over again with David Montgomery now, and that Gibbs is going to need to score those longer touchdowns in order to get to the end.
Speaker 4: Zone.
Speaker 1: So we could have a very nice season, but said at six touchdowns on the year for Jamier Gibbs as possible.
Speaker 4: But special back.
Speaker 1: Special talent would have been first running back taken in most drafts, just not this one because Bjohn Robinson is a bonkers All right, let's take a break. When we come back, let's dig into the remaining first round fantasy players. We'll start up with Jackson Smith and Jigba who finds himself in a peculiar position. Welcome back Fantasy Football Weekly, Paul Charchi and Brian Johnson. Please follow us at Paul Charchian on Twitter, b t XJ is Brian on Twitter as well.
Speaker 3: If you were following me, I tweeted last week I was in Atlantic City making some future bets and one of my favorite value bets was Seattle to win the NFC West. They were practically four to one. Oh and after this draft, and especially this pick we're going to talk about. I even checked the odds, but I'm sure they've gone how would you say, gone? Down? Up? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 3: Probably round two to one at this point.
Speaker 1: That might be the two good too interesting, well good I think good picks in this draft.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the top wide receiver in the top cornerback right on paper.
Speaker 1: That's that certainly helps Jackson Smith and Jigba is somebody that we expected to go a lot earlier than pick twenty, but he finds himself now in a crowded set of receivers in which it may be difficult for him to distinguish himself. What are your thoughts on the fantasy prospects for him here?
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's certainly going to have competition for targets with David David Why am I was gonna say dj d at Calf.
Speaker 4: And Tyler Lockett for sure?
Speaker 3: Big boon for Gino. Smith really targets quarterback sixteen, which was still late in my mind because he was a borderline top five fantasy quarterback last year, So huge for him. But yeah, we expected JSN to go to the Texans or somewhere where he was a lock for one hundred plus targets. He might not hit that threshold unless something would happen to Metcalf or Locket. But still have to like him in this offense, which i've I've dubbed the Legion of Zoom. No, I don't know if anyone has beat me today.
Speaker 4: A zoom just because they're fast. Yeah, yeah, there's something.
Speaker 3: To zoom me off. I kind of like that. But yeah, Jigbit not the fastest guy, but neither were Cooper Cup, DeVante Adams, Mike Evans, Brandon Ayuk, CD lamb A. J. Brown, who all ran four or five forty. So that doesn't matter until it's so overrated. For receivers, Yeah, size, and it's how well you run your routes and how well you catch the ball, and that's what.
Speaker 4: Can you get open?
Speaker 1: Yeah, first and foremost, that's all that matters.
Speaker 3: So but again it's he's gonna be competing for targets. So it's not an ideal spot for him from a fantasy perspective. But I'm bumping up Gino. He's now in top twelve quarterback range to me getting him at quarterback sixteen seventeen, And if you're drafting before the draft, huge value pick right now.
Speaker 1: And that's a Geno finished probably top ten at ten round ten of last year, so you know, now he just gains another good weapon at pick twenty one. The Los Angeles charges to Quinton Johnston. And this this is a player that at one point people thought might be the first receiver off the board, then a lot of a lot of people came in and didn't necessarily like him. He finds a landing spot in the Chargers in which he will probably have opportunities to produce right away. But in those rare scenarios where Keenan Allen and Mike Williams are both healthy at the same time, Quinton Johnson could be.
Speaker 3: In the backseat definitely. And who's basically getting you know, he's riding in the bed of the truck now, is Josh Palmer. His value totally daggered. If you're Dad, yeah, he's no longer really a late round option unless you're you're stacking Chargers in big best ball tournaments. But uh yeah, Quentin Johnson. We just said size doesn't matter as much anymore. But he's the one that has the that prototypical X receiver size six four two fifteen. Got a little bit of like a body catch stigma surrounding him. Something they'll need to work on, but it's not something that he can't improve on. But kind of like with Jackson, Smith and Jig but from a fantasy perspective, not ideal for him. He's going to be competing for targets, like you said, with Keenan Allien, Keenan Allen and Mike Williams when healthy. But just like with Gino Smith, not that justin Herbert needed, you know, our love and adoration anymore. But it's great for him to be Okay, yeah, he's this is a boon for him as well. But yeah, we'll see. But if something were to happen to Mike Williams end or uh, Keenan Allen.
Speaker 1: Which something always does for those guys, right, they're never healthy.
Speaker 3: HJ could vault into top fifteen overall wide receiver status.
Speaker 4: If those guys missed a lot of time, I could.
Speaker 1: I could see that as a possibility as a high end output. But I think you know, Keenan Allen is clearly at the end of what's going to be a borderline Hall of Fame career, and I feel like Quentin Johnson's ideally suited for those that have the patients for twenty twenty four, twenty twenty five and beyond.
Speaker 3: Agreed.
Speaker 1: At pick twenty two, we had four straight wide receiver selections, which is unheard of. I don't think it's ever happened in the history of the draft. We had none until pick twenty and then we had four straight. The Vikings will tell you that as the fourth they this was not They were not the Jordan Addison was not. The fourth guy on their list. Who went third was Zay Flowers, the wide receiver from Boston College to Baltimore. This was probably the most easy to identify wide receiver landing spot in the.
Speaker 3: Yeah, again, size doesn't he doesn't have size, but that's not as as big a deal as it was in the past. A great route runner, great hands, he's very fast. People are calling him the next Steve Smith, including Steve Smith.
Speaker 4: Himself, which says a lot.
Speaker 3: Steve Smith loves him, and now Steve's.
Speaker 1: The original Steve Smith, not the Zay Flowers version. At one point, punched a team might teammates face in the teammate had to get total facial reconstruction. I would like to think Zay Flowers won't do that.
Speaker 3: I don't think so, probably not. And what a twenty four hours really for the Ravens and Lamar Jackson, who you were still weren't sure if he's going to be a Raven but he signs and you know they got Odell Beckham not within the last twenty four hours. But a week or two ago, draft say Flowers, you know, Rashad Babman comes back healthy. They got Mark Andrews. We love JK. Dobbins uoc Art Mounkin, you know, loves to air it out the Ravens, just like that. One of they get.
Speaker 1: They get Art Monkin, Art Monk, Art Art Todd Monk, Mounkin.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I love that you called them Art Monk.
Speaker 3: I know, I knew I was gonna get it wrong. I don't have any notes on this.
Speaker 1: I'm going fantastic that you you pulled the ghost of Art Monk out of out of your subconscious.
Speaker 3: I want to know why. Yeah, I've sort of told this story how I used to go to Jets games, like in elementary school. Stepfather was friends with Pat Kerwin, who we talked about. He used to be in the front of Love.
Speaker 4: We love Pat.
Speaker 3: But blah blah blah. Art Monk was on the Jets. I was at the game where at the time he set the record for most consecutive games with a catch. Just okay, yeah, I'm sure that's been birth. This is like nineteen ninety three when this happened. So I've kind of always remembered Art Monk for that. I was like, I'm just gonna go. I was I'm not sure the same, I'm just gonna go for it, and I failed, miserable. Thanks for Thanks for Todd.
Speaker 4: I was gonna I I was gonna let it go.
Speaker 1: Art had a long, long careers in the Hall of Fame.
Speaker 4: But he he had one of those.
Speaker 1: Careers where it was more about how long the career was than necessarily just like how good the career was, because he was always a good receiver.
Speaker 4: Dude played sixteen years at why now, Yeah, that's why.
Speaker 3: It was like the least crazy, least exciting record that he broke at the times, like most games.
Speaker 1: With uh catch catch, Yeah, I had catch like every game, right, you know, most years Art Monk was getting you like eight hundred yards five touchdowns.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, he just he was.
Speaker 1: He was never a reliable fantasy producer. And I know this because I was playing fantasy at the near at the end parts of his career, and I had even started Fantasy Football Weekly magazine when he was still you know, nineteen ninety three as our first was our very first issue. We were ranking Art Monk back then when he was still a member of the Washington then Redskins. So yeah, going way back with Art Monk. But I'm glad you did that because that was a fun, fun journey back through uh back through Art Monk. Anyway, where we're we were talking about the Ravens, we were talking about Odell Beckham, Rashad be beck Bateman, and now Zay Flowers here. I believe Zay Flowers has the is going to emerge as as a very big part of this offense. He's he is a true slot receiver, and I don't know that he's ever going to be one hundred catch style slot receiver.
Speaker 4: But I think he's gonna. I think he's gonna be a reliable.
Speaker 1: Fantasy producer who you're going to be flexing from from time to time, and in the right spots, he'll absolutely be startable. I don't know that he'll overtake Forshad Bateman as sort of the go to alpha, and I don't think Odell Beckham Beckham is even in this conversation, especially not long term.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, he could very well be washed. We gotta wait and s I think he's washed.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's go to pick twenty three. The Minnesota Vikings Jordan Addison. Uh, fascinating landing spot. Did not expect the Vikings to go offense here, but it puts him in a spot where he goes to a very strong offense but always be second fiddle to Justin Jefferson. And you know he'll never carry this offense. But the other side of that is Jordan Addison for as long as he and Justin Jefferson are together, and Jefferson's gonna get a new deal, He's gonna be here through all of Jordan Addison's rookie deal with the Vikings and all probability, Jordan Addison will never see double coverage a snap of his career.
Speaker 3: No, definitely not. And you've you've talked about the real life implications of this pick extensively, so we won't. We won't go there. From a fantasy perspective, I love it for Addison. It's a great offense. Like you said, you'll see a ton of single coverage and a high octane offense. So I'm in on him there and it's gonna help Kirk Cousins of course. Uh, pretty pretty similar to Zay Flowers. You know, not a huge guy, but he's fast. Yeah. Great, route runner, and yeah, he's gonna he's gonna start. He can line up outside in the slot and he'll start from day one you would expect. So h Yeah, fantasy wise, great landing spot for him. I'll break it down from reality. I don't think he was the right pick for the Vikings. I think they should have went Levis or defense if they're trying to win now, but that's not what this show is about. But yeah, for fantasy purposes, a great spot for Addison.
Speaker 1: You hit on a couple of key things with Addison. I'm just gonna amplify a couple of those. Number one I talked to I talked to the Vikings head coach Kevin O'Connell this morning about Jordan Addison in the usage, and he confirmed that he's not just a slot receiver. You're gonna see a lot of you know, because he is on the thinner side and a little shorter side, and because he did play a lot of slot at USC and Pitt. There's you know, there's some people of pigeoningholing him as a slot receiver. He will not be a slot receiver only he will be lined up all over the field. That is how the Vikings always have used a lot of their players, and that's the belief that that's going to be the case with Addison. Here what Kevin O'Connell kept coming back to, and general manager Quac Dolpho Mensa also said, what they love about Addison is he gets himself open the rate route, running in the separation ability and he doesn't have blazing speed. But if you can get open, you don't need the blazing speed because they're open. They threw to them at in near the line of scrimmage a lot, and I think in PPR you're going to get a lot of cheap easy points on shorter bubble screens, shorter slant passes and then just let him run and see what happens. I don't believe, you know, with Justin Jefferson there he caps his upside, fantasy upside for Jordan Addison.
Speaker 3: So you don't think it was a a a because it was the end of the wide receiver run you reference. They almost feel like a fantasy football picker. It's like everyone's taking receivers.
Speaker 4: Yes.
Speaker 1: Uh, the way Kevin O'Connell explained it, it didn't sound like it sounded like Jordan Addison was way higher up their list.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but they also bled the clock to the very end.
Speaker 4: If he was the guy.
Speaker 1: Let's go to the final pick of the first round that has Fantasy Direct Fantasy relevance, and that was the Buffalo Bills moving up to get tight ended adult in Kincaid, which I found to be a little bit interesting in part because you know, the Bills had managed a pretty solid year out of the tight end position anyway, and so I, you know, I didn't necessarily see that as a as.
Speaker 4: A tight end landing spot. I don't know, I mean.
Speaker 1: I and I'm a little bit worried that. You know, we're gonna see plenty of Dawson Knox, at least in the short term.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: You know Kinkaid, though, is he's really a slot wide receiver. He's not your blocking tight end. He's he's kind of like you're I'm not gonna say he's the next Travis Kelcey, but he's kind of like Travis Kelcey. Kyle Pitt's tight player, fast, athletic, great hands, can win fifty to fifty balls. He could really he could very well be the second leading receiver beyond Stefan Diggs in Buffalo this year. Yeah, I mean he's gonna he's gonna play the slot essentially.
Speaker 1: I think I think there's some truth he's so he is so slender of build for a tight end. The guy he reminds me of is Isa. I mean, if you look at ASAA likely you're like, is that a big wide receiver or is that a little tight end? And I said, Dalton Kincaid's got that kind of build to him.
Speaker 3: It certainly doesn't bode well for Dawson Knox, but it doesn't hurt him as much as I think you're still gonna get what you're really going to get from Dawson Knox, which he's kind of a red zone touchdown. But there's certainly another threat now in Dalton kind in the red zone, at least from Dawson Knox's perspective. But I am so appreciative that Buffalo jumped Dallas because Dallas was most likely going to take kin Kid at least people thought so. Yeah, because I've been going there, I've been drafting Jake Ferguson all winter in the last round.
Speaker 4: Now looks good.
Speaker 1: Jake Ferguson season is alive, and well, Darnell Washington ends up there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Darnell Washing, Yeah, but he's much more raw than Kinkaid or Michael Michael Meyer. Ye. But there's still some tight ends that need to be drafted in round two and three. But that was that was the first big, you know, land mine that uh, Jake Ferguson avoided.
Speaker 1: I got to talk to Lewis scene the Vikings first round draft pick. He's doing great. Ready, yeah he is, He's he's already ready. I'm basically ready to go now.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 1: And I asked him about actually he brought up Darnell watching the meat and then I'm like.
Speaker 4: I'll take the ball and run with it here. Uh.
Speaker 1: And man, he loves him. They called him the big o at Georgia because I think he was.
Speaker 4: I think he played.
Speaker 1: I think his number was zero, so I think that was why they called him a big o.
Speaker 4: But he's just gigantic.
Speaker 3: Woods type is Johnny Woods.
Speaker 4: Rob Grin might be a little faster.
Speaker 3: I love that.
Speaker 1: You'd like how I shifted the conversation to my guy, Darnel Washington.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 1: Dalton Kinkaid though buffalo long term. I love the landing spot for him because he's coupled with a great young quarterback who's got a relatively young quarterback who's got a cannon arm, and Kincaid can get downfield. They you taped through to him downfield all the time. He's going to have some big downfield scene catches as early as this year. And I think Kinkaid's got an extremely promising long term UH career ahead of him, and it's going to be a significant fantasy contributor here in Buffalo.
Speaker 3: This matter is not now, and Kincaid in a better spot than Kyle Pitts in terms of the offense he plays or will play for. But I saw randomly, I forget who tweeted it, so I can't attribute him. But Kyle Pitts is eleven months younger than Dalton.
Speaker 1: Kid's a fifty year senior. Yeah, yep, so that that does not necessarily surprise me here. And you talked to him being a stand up tight end. It's a great point because he's not a good blocker. But I just think they're not going to ask him to block. No, you know, you don't draft you don't draft Dalton Kincaid and go say, well, great, you're an inline blocker now, because that's just not what he's good at so big slot.
Speaker 3: That's what they're calling it. He's going to play the big sig spot. Yeah, I like it.
Speaker 1: Thank you for listening to Fantasy Football Weekly full recapp of the first round. We will hit on key players from the rest of the draft in next week's Fantasy Football Weekly.
Speaker 3: So many left, so many Yeah, and Will Levis.
Speaker 1: And Will Levis wherever he ends up to give me your one, give me your pick where he goes, what team? I don't need the spot, Just tell me the team team that he goes to do.
Speaker 3: The Vikings have the AMO to move up and take him, Yeah, I don't think so.
Speaker 1: I'll just even if he was there in the third round, the Vikings have too many other needs.
Speaker 3: I'll go Rams, so I believe have. And we're recording this on Friday, so the second round hasn't happened. Of course, as of right now, have the fifth pick in the second round or fourth or fifth pick, I'll go with the Rams who need a quarterback.
Speaker 4: I'll go Tennessee.
Speaker 3: Okay, all right, thanks, I can see both happening.
Speaker 4: I could do.
Speaker 1: Thanks for listening, everybody. We'll we'll be back next week, including some Fantasy Football Weekly micro editions.
Speaker 4: On Monday through Thursday, then the full show on.
Speaker 1: Friday next week as well.
Speaker 4: Talk to you soon everyone, Bye bye.
Speaker 3: See.
Speaker 1: Football Weekly is a production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.