Speaker 1: Loud and Quiet Presents Midnight Chats.
Speaker 2: Loud and a great local fucking newspaper. Just try it, might believe it Rockable.
Speaker 3: That was the sound of my guest on this week's podcast, not recorded recently a tour. Actually, that little snippet that was from back in twenty fourteen, which is when I last saw Mac DeMarco. We were in Amsterdam together as he was touring Salad Days, his second album, and we were doing a cover feature. He was on the cover of Loud on Quiet fifty nine back in June of twenty and fourteen, and that was the sound of Mac attempting a British accent. I think he was being a market trader and he was trying to flog copies of Loud and Quiet.
Speaker 2: Try it Loud and a great local fucking newspaper. Just try it, might believe it.
Speaker 4: Boy.
Speaker 3: It's an appalling attempt, of course, but that's exactly what I like about it. I love North Americans doing bad British accents, and that was something that he just launched into. We've done the interview that day, I remember, and I've given him a copy of our issue that was out at that point, and he just kind of grabbed it and started doing this this skit, so I asked him to do it a second time so I could film it on my BlackBerry, which was my phone and choice back then, and that little bit of footage, if you care to watch it, is on our YouTube channel. I think it might be the first thing that we posted on there. In fact, I might have even start i the YouTube channel because I had that on my phone and I found it funny. Since then, Mac has released a couple more records. Well, he's released a mini album called Another One, and he's just about to release his third proper album called This Old Dog, comes out next month on captured tracks. And that's the official reason he came by our office to record this podcast. A couple of months ago, he was in town purely doing press, which is a bit of a drag for most musicians to not be playing shows whilst they're in towns. That's normally the respite from all the crapping on to journalists is they get to actually play a show in the evening, Mac, to save his own sanity, manage to squeeze in a special solo acoustic show here in London and Namboka the following night after I spoke to him, and I think that was I think he needed that. He's not really a big fan of doing interviews, although I think you'll probably agree once you've listened to this he's very good at them. He's just, you know, it'd rather be playing, which is understandable. So yeah, thanks to Mac for coming by on his trip here. I'm not going to say much more about this episode because we're on press deadline here today. We need to send a new issue of the magazine to print, which by the time you're listening to this episode of the podcast, the magazine will either be out or it will be out in one day's time. I'm procrastinating. Really, I shouldn't be recording this intro now. This can wait till tomorrow, but I'm just on deadline and I'm just trying to do everything but finish my work. For some reason. Anyway, I need to get on with that now. So I'm going to leave you with Mac DeMarco on Midnight Chats number twenty five, And if you do enjoy it, please leave a little comment or rate it on iTunes or wherever you get your podcast from. It's quite hard to find on the iTunes out where you actually post a comment, so I won't be offended if you just cannot be asked, or if you give up. But if you do, if you know how to do that, or you've got some spare time on the bus, leave some feedback, give us a little rating. And if you're not a subscriber, or you're maybe listening to this on YouTube or elsewhere online, you can subscribe to us on iTunes or wherever you get your podcasts from. We're on all the platforms that you can get on your androids. Not blackberries, though they are sadly a thing in the past, which is why I had to get rid of Night Until next time. Here's Mac DeMarco on Midnight Chats.
Speaker 5: All right, boy, woke up early.
Speaker 6: I already had a salpy bagel today, which is the one thing I need when I'm in London, So a happy camper.
Speaker 3: Right, did you get that on Bricklay?
Speaker 7: I had it at the one on the right. If you're looking at him, that's the best one. That's only what I've been to. But I think I made the right choice.
Speaker 3: Ye the first time, I kind of felt bad for the bagel shop on the left because I think everyone just goes to the one on the right.
Speaker 6: One of the left didn't looked at bumping, but this one had like had a ky Yeah, I had like a candy cane line going through it.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Sure, that's impressive that you've had a salt beef bagel. I mean no, we're getting on for lunchtime. Yeah, so that's fine.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, anytime of the Day's so.
Speaker 3: You're here doing some some.
Speaker 7: Press promotion tour twenty seventeen.
Speaker 3: This is your promo tour.
Speaker 7: My favorite kind of tour. Absolutely love it.
Speaker 3: If you had it your way, that'll be like this, right, there'd be no show.
Speaker 7: Shows, no way, interviews, photo shoots all day.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I's all you're about.
Speaker 7: I wouldn't even make records if I had the choice. No, you just interviews.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: You were you are again. You are sneaking in a show tomorrow night though.
Speaker 7: So little one.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah is that just to keep you saying what I think?
Speaker 7: Yeah? Yeah, yeah pretty much.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 3: You've just thought, I need to like just something, I need to do some I need a treat for me, and it's something for me.
Speaker 7: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 3: So you're doing a It's it's fortunate for me that show because it's right by my house.
Speaker 7: No, it's not fun. Where is it.
Speaker 3: It's in a place called Nambooka in Holloway in North London, Okay, which is about maybe a twenty five minute drive from here.
Speaker 7: But it's just you, right, it's just you, just me playing some song. I do it sometimes.
Speaker 3: When was the last time you did a show where it was just you and not not the band.
Speaker 6: Well, I did the same kind of little press Torsch Sol Show and BERLINX were there like four days ago or something, So I did that one.
Speaker 7: Excuse me. I do them in the States every once in a while.
Speaker 6: It's like, you know, sometimes I'll fly and just do one at like a college or like some city or whatever.
Speaker 7: I like doing them. They're fun.
Speaker 6: It's like a little bit of a different, very different thing than the well in some ways, you know, it's different than with the band. Other people could argue that it's just me doing the exact same thing without the band there, so but but yeah, it's it's fun. But yeah, I think it. There's been tours where the van is broken down and then I'll get in the support vent and like the support bands van and go to the next cities and just do the shows as as opposed to canceling them by myself. Sometimes the crowd is into it, sometimes not so much.
Speaker 3: What's the what the what the mark difference is? Is it just you and what's your set up? Do you just take one acoustic? It's out?
Speaker 7: Sometimes I do an acoustic. I've been doing an electric over here.
Speaker 6: Yeah, just me singing guitar. You know, sometimes will have a little keyboard, but not this time.
Speaker 7: It's fun. You know, everybody's singing along hopefully.
Speaker 3: It's me busy. It's a small room.
Speaker 7: It should be cool.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, it should be good. So, I mean this tour is pressed too currently it's for the new record, This Old Dog, and it's a different feel this one, I guess, so I don't know, it's a different do you can you you can't? Can you sense the different kind of feel of the record or not so much?
Speaker 6: I mean I made it so it's kind of hard for me, and it's not like I like listen to my old records.
Speaker 7: All the time.
Speaker 6: But definitely, I mean it sounds different to me, It felt a little. It felt a little different to make. I mean, I still do it the same way I do any of my other records, but you know, just the elements of it, you know. I think I think at this point because I did it already and it was you know, the feeling was there when I did it.
Speaker 7: Now it's like, oh, it's not weird, you know.
Speaker 6: But but if I think about it, it's like, oh, I used acoustic guitar for a lot of it, Like didn't really use that many like effects or anything. It's kind of you know, the concept of it, I think is like pretty different maybe, but I just was kind of in it, so I don't know, it's not like I was I had this like list of like things that I was trying to do, you know, just kind of did just was natural.
Speaker 3: Yeah, people I imagine are going to call it your most mellow record. Might be a word that they're going to use, or maybe goofy, slacker.
Speaker 8: I don't know.
Speaker 3: That's the one that I mean, they have to be used. It's we get given a handbook when writing about my blood music. They have to be they have to be mentioned those ways. Yeah, slacker, goofy.
Speaker 6: I guess it is a little more. Yeah, there's like pretty there's not very many up tempo songs on it. But the thing I just don't really listen to fast music anymore. I mean I do, but most of the stuff if I'm sitting down or like you know, getting my like little monitor zone and want to listen to something, it's all like weird.
Speaker 8: You know.
Speaker 7: I think what I consider up tempo. Now most people are like, well, this is very mellow.
Speaker 3: But you know what would be your what would be your go to?
Speaker 6: I love like you ever heard this album called Pacific by Harry Hillsno, it's like him and the guy Rucci saka Model. They played in Yellow Magic Orchestra together, but this is like right before they decided to start it, and it's kind of like he's got this this theme throughout it where it's like this is supposed to be this Hawaiian or like tropical island theme. It's like very it's not really that, you know, in your face, it's very mellow, you know. But for me, that's like faster than most of the music I've listened to today. I guess I don't know, it's just my vibe right now.
Speaker 3: What's that the what's that the other end of the sky? If that's your fault, If that's your that's your I'm going out on the town.
Speaker 6: Yeah, like Chuck Mangioni or something is my like party music, you know, but uh yeah, I don't know. I I listened to a lot of like soundtrack music nowadays, a lot of like ambient synthesizer stuff. This skuy Isautomida from Japan. I've gotten really into him this last year. His stuff's like abstract, weird, all like monosynth like Moog stuff, and he like he did a lot of like it's it's it's kind of crazy because you find his records in like, you know, thrift stories in the States because he did like you know, turned on version of classical music. But yeah, that guy's insane. There's one album that I've been this guy mort Darson from Canada. He did an album called Plantasia through this like Mother Earth series, and it's this album where you're supposed to play it for your plants and it'll make your plants happier. It's called Plantasia.
Speaker 3: We could do that and here these plants, Yeah, they'd love it. This one looks pretty sad today. They all look nut So do you think they look okay? Because like some days you come in and I swear.
Speaker 6: That they were about to die it's okay, you know, I think they look cool. Okay, but yeah they could use a little plantasia. But yeah, I don't know. And that stuff is kind of like, you know, just strange simple. It's not even like intricate, insane like synthesized music. It's very simple melodies through like a weird monocyn that's the kind of stuff you know in video game music. I love video game music from when I was a kid. Now, no, you know, there was a time in my life where I was like, you know, trying to be too cool to like, you know, i'd find one guy like every couple of years and like, yo, like you play fun fantasy when you're growing up too, Like that's awesome, Like let's keep it down.
Speaker 7: But now it's like that. I think a lot of that music shaped the way.
Speaker 6: That I make music now. And I don't know why I was so ashamed or not ashamed, but like just scared of letting it loose.
Speaker 7: But hell yeah I love it, you know, yeah, super Nintendo music.
Speaker 6: It's something that's so simple, simple melodies, repetitive, but it gets the gets the job done.
Speaker 7: You know, it's no problem.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's it's what's been interesting me now, which is maybe weird, but I don't.
Speaker 3: Know that's cool. I think the I mean, on the new record, there are the thing that's gonna stop. The other thing that people are gonna probably say incorrectly, of course, is that it's your unplugged record. Oh yeah, but the thing that stops it. I mean, it can't be that because it has sympathizer on it. Yeah, exactly, so it can't be it can't be that. But but you can hear them that some of the side of the sounds sound video game.
Speaker 6: Yeah ish, they're not cool and sexy and big, you know. I like the cheat been shitty sounding like okay, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 7: That's what I like.
Speaker 3: This is probably something that people have maybe when they hear your music, have said before. I've never really heard it until now. Your vocal on this new record reminds me of Damon Albarn.
Speaker 7: People said that to you. I no, not really, okay, but that's tight because I really like all the stuff that he's done pretty much. But I don't know.
Speaker 6: I mean, I and then's like, you know, I like the style of you know, pretty much throughout his he never did like you know, it was like his voice like real deal.
Speaker 7: It's not like he's this crazy.
Speaker 6: Sometimes he goes up and down, but it's mostly just like talking, you know, timbore or whatever. It's like his normal speech range, and it's just right in your face, not a lot of effects.
Speaker 7: I love Damon's voice.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I think with Damon's voice, the slower it gets, the better it sounds.
Speaker 7: Oh yeah, took a lullaby, one of those crazy voices.
Speaker 3: And then your new record's got a bit of that, especially the second track, which is My Old Man, Right.
Speaker 7: I think this I could my Old Man's number one.
Speaker 3: I think this Old Dog is that particularly like I hear it in that I've not heard it until now. I didn't know if that was something that see.
Speaker 6: That was one of the things that the old records is I would pitch my voice, you know, starting with Racer on My Club, pitch it way down and then up a little bit here and there, and then on two was mostly I didn't really touch it that much in there, but there was loads of delays and reverbs and stuff on it. Then Salad Days, I started kind of tweaking my voice up a little bit to give it like a touch of John Lennon or something like it, and then this one I was like, I don't really want to touch it and I'm just gonna lead and you know, no effects on most stuff, and just wanted it to.
Speaker 7: Be like as like real as possible. Yeah, just like no baloney, you know, just these are these songs. That's it. Who cares? You know?
Speaker 3: Do you think it's because you feel like you've become you feel more comfortable with your voice as you tour it so much you practice, not more?
Speaker 7: Maybe?
Speaker 6: I mean the thing about us playing shows is I can barely ever I sing pretty quietly, so I can barely ever hear.
Speaker 7: My voice on stage anyway.
Speaker 6: So you know, sometimes the shows are fine. Most of the time, I have no idea what I'm doing. I smoke like a chimney, so it's like, if anything, my voice has probably gotten worse. But for some reason with these songs, and I think it was the way I wrote them too. It's just kind of like I sat down wrote them on a guitar that was the song instead of before where it's like I'm gonna get drum machine beat, try a bassline, like oh, these chords work, and then like maybe a little since part then like oh and I have like a vocal for like the chorus, but okay, now I'm gonna write the verses like what about you know, a second guitar And it's like, so it was kind of like building a lego thin before, but this time it was like, that's the song and doesn't need drums.
Speaker 7: Maybe I don't know, it doesn't They didn't really. Yeah, you know, that's completely objective, I guess.
Speaker 6: But it's like as a song, they could just exist that way, you know, instead.
Speaker 7: Of having to be Cause a lot of.
Speaker 6: My older songs, I feel like if they weren't done in the way that I recorded them or something, or like you know, with a certain recording method or that like low fire, then they probably wouldn't.
Speaker 7: Make as much sense. You know, some of them be fine, but yeah, some would be kind of weird. I think.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Sure. So it's called this Old Dog and they're are the theme of getting older. Yeah, it's something that was on the track Salad Days. It was maybe the first time it was kind of approached in a song of yours and that's them has come back again. Feel do you feel old? Are you feeling old?
Speaker 8: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I mean, well, because you're a young man.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I'm twenty six.
Speaker 3: You're full of life. I'm looking at you now.
Speaker 6: But I think, yeah, I mean when I say old, I mean with my old man. That's talking about my dad, so he is already old. But for this old dog, it's like, you know, I feel like it's more of just like a you know, out at you old dog, dirty old dog, like you dirty dog, bastard, like that kind of thing.
Speaker 7: You know. I don't know. I think it's yeah, it's interesting. I think it's not about so much getting old me, like oh my god, I'm like.
Speaker 6: You know, it's just like I feel like there's been in this past year sometimes my life where I'm kind of like, you know, things are like not settling down. But it's kind of like I've reached a point where like, you know, I bought houses here, I like live comfortably, like we tore.
Speaker 7: There's nothing like that terrifying or like confusing about what I'm my existence now, you know, And that is what scares me.
Speaker 6: It's kind of like, well, I could just sit on my ass till I pass away, you know, and that would be fine, you know, but I mean, you know, I'll play music and do whatever.
Speaker 7: But it's just just hitting.
Speaker 6: That kind of like I don't know what to I think for me in my mind, like buying a house is like a big who was a big marker of like, well, now you can retire. That makes exactly you know, and then now and now that I did it because for years, four years probably I was kind of like every time i'd make a little bit of money, I was like, let's see what I can afford with this, you.
Speaker 7: Know, And then I finally bought something, and it's like, shit, what do I do now? Like damn, it's just weird, you know, it's a weird feeling.
Speaker 6: Yeah, So the house boys I in La. Yeah, and that's kind of funny. It's like why did I buy there?
Speaker 7: I don't know.
Speaker 6: I don't know why I did it there because I could afford it. Maybe wanted to buy a house so bad. I just didn't even really think about where we were going to do it. Although I really like La and I have a lot of friends there, but people have been asking a lot and for any interview for this album, it's like, oh, so you live.
Speaker 7: In La, Like why'd you move there? I'm like, I don't know, there's no real reason. I could live wherever I want.
Speaker 6: It doesn't really matter, you know, like well, you know, depending on like visas and you know, country entrants and stuff like that.
Speaker 7: But like, I don't know, there's it's sunny. I guess it's chill.
Speaker 3: So why did you you moved that last year in August?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Okay, And how's it? How's it going out out that of the side. How long we You must have been in New York for a long time.
Speaker 7: Two three years or something? Okay, Yeah, I mean it's great, you know, it's it's different. I think that's what I was looking for.
Speaker 6: Moving there maybe is some kind of different because it's like with with New York, we lived really far out of town, but we had space. We were kind of doing the LA thing in New York. Already had a house, had a big yard, lived by the beach. I had to drive everywhere.
Speaker 3: I thought, you you weren't living in Brooklyn.
Speaker 6: I was initially, but then we you know, we got a house some rockaway each which was but it was so far away from everybody that we never see anybody. So a lot of the like nice things but LA we had in New York. But except for the you know, a camaraderie or companionship of any kind.
Speaker 7: It's like, you know, nope, we had our roommates and that was about it. You know.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and now we're in LA and it's just so bizarre to live in a neighborhood where people like I'm gonna come over. It's like what, like, okay, you know that's crazy. And it's a nice it's a nice city. It's got a lot of things that I missed about cities that I've lived in the past, like for you know, it's got crazy all kinds of food. New York is crazy for food too, but some some kind you know, some like maybe you want to go for Sichuan or good Vietmans.
Speaker 7: You kind of got to go out a little bit. La. It's all just right around the corner, great Mexican.
Speaker 3: Do you feel healthier living in California?
Speaker 6: Uh see, I don't know because the burritos are a big problem for me. There's a great truck right down the street from us, and yeah, yeah, I've.
Speaker 7: Had a couple of beers. Then it's like it's Melita to that.
Speaker 3: But you need to get into the yoga. Nah.
Speaker 7: See. These are all the things. But I.
Speaker 3: Could see what they.
Speaker 7: Love in la Is. Is she going to hike this weekend?
Speaker 3: That's oh yeah, yeah hiking.
Speaker 7: And carry you in here still.
Speaker 3: Share into hiking. Well she goes on.
Speaker 7: It's beautiful. There's a lot of Yeah, it's weird. The weird thing with la Is it gets a bad rap for the people, like it's such an ugly city. It's like, no, it's not.
Speaker 6: There's mountains, palm trees, Like everybody's house is a crazy like color. It's like it's really crazy looking city. It's a beautiful place, you know. But uh, but I'm just not a sporty guy or an outdoors the guy. I mean, maybe I'll go on a hike at some point, I don't know. But that it's funny that that I don't have a problem with any though. You know, I don't have a problem with yoga. I don't a problem with juicing whatever. But just the infusion of it into like la Like it's the It's like people have this predisposed mantra for a city. It's like, ah, yes, you're going to you know, get cryogenically frozen once a day or something.
Speaker 7: It's like I'm just gonna hang out my house like piss you got a dog. No, I don't. I've never had a dog before.
Speaker 3: Dogs that I mean, my image of la is I've got no real basis for it. I've only been very briefly. But in my mind, as well as the yoga, the hiking, the food trucks and the healthy living, you got dogs. Everyone has a.
Speaker 7: Dog, which makes sense. You know, it's a great place to have a dog.
Speaker 3: Becau it's a hiking You can take them hiking, you.
Speaker 6: Take them anywhere you want the space people have yards. That was the weird thing in New York. So when you go to the city, a lot of people had dogs there too, but it was more of a symbol in New York, where it's like the bigger your dog is, the bigger your apartment is. You see some like rich guy walking around with this like big ass dog, and you're like, piss off, like I know what you're doing, Like get out of my face.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 6: So, but I don't know, I think having any dog in an apartment it's like it's pretty cruel.
Speaker 7: Probably, well, you can make it work, but big dog.
Speaker 3: Some of those apartments in.
Speaker 7: New York are so tiny. I don't know, I've never had a dog. Maybe the dog's chill with it.
Speaker 3: I don't know, are you into Are you a dog guy?
Speaker 7: I like them?
Speaker 8: Sure?
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's a loaded question, isn't it. Because you can't say no because I between you and I and now everyone listening to this, I'm not that into.
Speaker 7: Dogs really, but like all dogs.
Speaker 3: I don't dislike them. It's not like I think. It's not like I hate dogs or as scared of dogs or anything. I'm just don't really get that thing where if a dog was to come in here now, you know, if you're if you're in and everyone you know loves the dog, I just kind of don't get it.
Speaker 7: That's fine, you know, but you can't really.
Speaker 3: Some people think that makes you a complete monster of a person.
Speaker 7: I mean, I don't know. I think I like them. I think that it's you know, it wears off kind of quick for me too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it'll be half for you to have one because you're always away.
Speaker 7: Exactly what I've said to here, I'm like, we should get a dog. We should get a dog.
Speaker 6: Like I have this image of my in my mind of me driving around with a bass at hound sitting in my you know, just not even driving anywhere, just driving around to show off the dogs droopy dog head out the window. I think that's a good look, you know. But then you know, she's like, you'll go on tour all the time. And also I'm usually sitting in the shotgun seats, so like you're gonna give the dog my seat.
Speaker 7: So I'm kind of like, oh, yeah, right, yeah huh. But I don't know. I mean maybe at some point. It's kind of like having a kid. Honestly.
Speaker 6: That's the weird thing is when people you know around my age are a little bit older, get a dog and they treat it like a like they've had a baby. It's kind of like, you guys are crazy.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I don't like it when people who have dogs refer to themselves as mummy and daddy. That's trippy, that's weird.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 6: I think I like cats, you know, I've always had cats grown up. I like dogs too. Maybe someday, you know, I couldn't get a cat either, You'll get a lizard.
Speaker 7: Who knows. I'd like to have a big pig, like a big you know people get little pigs.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I'm talking big pig, like a huge swine that would look good in.
Speaker 3: The shotgun seat. Hell yeah, Like if you're driving, whereabouts do you do.
Speaker 7: In an echo park area? Okay?
Speaker 3: But if you would go over the other side, drive around like.
Speaker 7: Hollywood with a pig the.
Speaker 6: People, it would be interesting or walking would yea walking walk of fame with the big I'm talking like a boor size, big nasty pig.
Speaker 3: To show show off how big your opponent is. That beats the big dog, like I've got got a big pig.
Speaker 6: I've got a huge pig. I just think pigs are cute. Apparently they're pretty smart too, and they taste just like human.
Speaker 7: But I don't know, maybe someday.
Speaker 3: So to the record, right, I feel like we've it's good because we've been talking about dogs and it's called this Old Dog.
Speaker 7: True.
Speaker 3: Yeah sos. Other than so, there's the song My Old Man about your dad. Do you feel like you're turning into your dad?
Speaker 6: There's certain aspects of my personality where sometimes I catch myself going.
Speaker 7: Like whoa, like what the hell?
Speaker 4: You know?
Speaker 6: So? But it's it's it's a common you know, yeah, you know, I like to sometimes you know, it has a certain meaning to me. But as well, it's like one of those age ol old like human philosophical it's like.
Speaker 7: My father's hands.
Speaker 6: You know, it's like it's just just another weird trope about of being alive.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I like to.
Speaker 6: To dance with that a little bit every once in a while. But you know, it is true to form with me as well.
Speaker 3: Do you look a bit like it as you get old?
Speaker 7: Ah? Maybe? Yeah, I don't know. Maybe I look a little bit more like my mom's side of the family. But it's hard to tell.
Speaker 3: A lot of the themes are on this record, welcome people read into like.
Speaker 6: You were saying, then getting older, being confused about being alive, you know, being confused about you know, I don't know. I mean, it's a lot of the songs are about my family. A lot of the songs are about getting older. Some of the songs are about some you know, these basic things that have happened to me in the.
Speaker 7: Last year, two years or whatever.
Speaker 6: It's kind of like it's different because Salad Days dealt with some stuff where it was kind of like I kind of felt like that was like I'm grumpy, Like I'm grumpy, and like I don't like doing interviews and I don't like, you know, I'm always on tour and the tour is so hard, and it's like tour is not hard, Like I was just drinking myself to death, you know, it's like but nowadays it's like things have changed a lot, and like I don't really drink myself to death that much anymore.
Speaker 7: I haven't died yet, but.
Speaker 6: Uh, you know, and you know, we we're definitely not It's not as raucous as it used to be.
Speaker 7: I mean, it's sure is.
Speaker 6: The shows are crazy, and you know, we will still stay with kids if we you know, if we can wherever and stuff, but it's more of like a well oiled machine and more like adults. And you know, I'm not trying to act like I'm sixteen or something anymore, but well maybe i am. I don't know, but yeah, but looking at everything through a scope like that where it's kind of like with a more grown up view on it, it's just kind of like and still feeling like damn, Like there's just days where it's.
Speaker 5: Like why why do I Why do I do this?
Speaker 6: Not?
Speaker 7: Why do I love making music and stuff? But it's just but about living.
Speaker 6: A life in general and just getting to certain you know, landmarks in it and stuff and it's just kind of this is so fucking weird. You know, it's just me being confused, my quarter life crisis.
Speaker 7: I guess I don't know.
Speaker 3: So what do you know? What's what's going to happen next?
Speaker 7: See, that's the thing. I have no idea we buy the pig, that the pig help, you know. I just want to keep making music. I think this last year too, I've been.
Speaker 6: A lot more interested in, like I've kind of regained some kind of love for actually, you know, seeking out new music, trying new sounds, doing this, doing that where But you know, I feel like there's a bunch of years where I was very preoccupied by like just playing the crazy rock show and you know, doing getting drunk and like partying and meeting people. And I love doing all that still, but it's like I have like some kind of regained or maybe new.
Speaker 7: Appreciation for like musicianship or like, I don't know, maybe my palette is taste is changing.
Speaker 3: I don't know. There's something to be a psychiatrist about this. Do you think there's something in you that because you've got the house and you kind of are comfortable, maybe for the first time to a certain extent, do you think there's something in you that isn't is trying to not allow you to just enjoy it and just be like, hey, I've got everything in check. Everything's good. That's just joy this movie.
Speaker 7: Yeah, definitely, I think there is.
Speaker 3: But you're kind of thinking, where's the drama.
Speaker 6: Sort of yeah, in a couple you know, in so many words, but it's sort of doing that.
Speaker 7: But it's also you know.
Speaker 6: Like I think it's just kind of like get your kick somewhere else, like you had your fun.
Speaker 3: Have you ever thought about going about trying acting? Now you're in La, you're in the right town for it.
Speaker 6: I mean, people especially yesterday and the day before in Berlin people were talking about press. People were like, so, like we've seen you've been in this little short movie and like you're doing this in this clip and you know, and I mean most of that stuff that shows up on the internet is like me just you know, gooving off with my friends or whatever. But I think if I ever like did, like seriously tried to act and something, I would fail so miserably. Like I can play the character of Mac Debauco look at me, eh, you know, like I can be a I'm just a goofy guy, you know whatever, Like you know, I.
Speaker 3: Just you could stop that.
Speaker 9: That could be all maybe, But I think anything I scripted or where I'm like, you know, see, that's the whole thing.
Speaker 7: I'm lucky that I get to be a musician. I get to make money.
Speaker 6: Off of it, because as soon as I have somebody else like going like you do this, now do that?
Speaker 7: Like that's then I start going, oh, you tell me what to do one more time. So I don't know, I don't know if it would work out very well.
Speaker 6: I mean, see, the actors that I gravitate to the most are like guys that often play the same role like forty times over, and then their personality isn't too far off from it, which I think, you know, that's kind of my vibe with the music thing. Even you know, it's like but you know, like Harrison Ford or something like that. It's like, you know, he just where's my wife every movie? You know, and it's like, but he's just a cool guy. You know, I don't know, but he's funny as hell too, and he's just you know, he seems.
Speaker 7: Just real and he's like figure, he figured it out a long time ago. He doesn't give a rat anymore.
Speaker 6: So it's like, fuck yeah, dude, or even somebody like Robert de Niro or something. It's just kind of like he's an incredible, incredible he can do a ton of shit. But you know, at the same time, it's like, you know, just does his thing, and then in real life, maybe it's not Maybe I maybe I'm just only seeing one.
Speaker 7: Side of the or like a little bit of the whole picture. But I like that, you know that kind of I don't know.
Speaker 3: Well, you know, bear in mind, you're in the right town. True, You're in the right town for true. Did you say I've been trying to avoid all the Oscar news this week.
Speaker 6: Because the envelope, the envelope Fisco.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I couldn't ear fucked that up.
Speaker 7: That's ridiculous.
Speaker 3: I didn't realize until this morning that the that the so the wrong name was read out best picture and so the name they said was a La Land, right, but that hadn't want But they got all the way up on stage right, and did they did an acceptance speech or were they halfway through to speak.
Speaker 7: I don't know.
Speaker 6: I just saw like they I saw the clip where they called it. Then I saw like the guy from Lalan like holding the oscar and they were like no, like our friends like come on up. And I was like, oh my, just so and Jimmy kimmel'sy are like well, like this is crazy. And then there's all these people on the internet saying like oh, they're just you know, creating this you know, fantasy situation to get like you know, some to have it go viral or whatever.
Speaker 3: I don't know what they reckon. That was like, well staged, some.
Speaker 6: People are selling. Yeah, I mean I hope not, but I mean, I tell you truth, I don't care. But yeah, if it hadn't happened, I probably wouldn't have even known who won Best Picture or had watched any of the oscars anyway, that's true.
Speaker 3: Have you been back to Canada much recently?
Speaker 6: Not since the early flaw? And I just went to see my family for a little while.
Speaker 3: So did they still live in They didn't still live in Edmondson today?
Speaker 7: Yeah, most of my family.
Speaker 3: Okay, how's how's the town? I remember when we spoke last year talking about.
Speaker 7: Growing up in Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 3: You introduced me to a new word which I've not heard.
Speaker 7: The changa Chong Gay. Yeah, yeah, yeah, which is the dude right, some of the meathead dudes. Yeah, I don't know. I think it's so.
Speaker 6: I think there's some like new stuff going on the music scene seems to be going on, okay up there right now.
Speaker 7: I don't really know.
Speaker 6: It was weird going back this last time because when I was young, a couple of years younger, i'd you know, live in other parts of Canada, go home and like do the straut down White ab me, like what's up, look good to see how you doing, you know, like I'm back, you know, And it was a big thing for me.
Speaker 7: Like I was like, oh yeah, cool, the cool kid that moved away, you know.
Speaker 6: And this time I tried to do the Stratton, didn't recognize half the stories, ran into no one that I knew, and you know, didn't even get recognized or anything.
Speaker 7: And I was like, well, it's not really my home anymore, is it, you know.
Speaker 6: But see, it's always nice to this time. I mean, it's been such a long time since I've been there because I don't go home for the holidays anymore. I don't go home. I barely even play shows there. It's like maybe once every two years or something, but going home this time and just being there to hang out with my fan for like a week, and then you know, I was like walking around my old neighborhood, like old alleyways that I use, and it's just like it was the first time, where it's like, holy crap, this is weird.
Speaker 7: You know, it's like walk down memory lane.
Speaker 3: So have you moved your studio? I guess you've moved? Yeah, is that?
Speaker 6: I mean it was just in my bedroom in New York and then now I have like a guest room which is just filled with all my crap. But actually when I get home in a couple of days, we have a little garage on the property and I've had it built into like a little you know, soundproof box.
Speaker 7: So so I'll be moving all my stuff from there and it should be should be nice.
Speaker 3: It's nice. Yeah, just jazz too, that's right. Is that what you're calling it? Have you got it?
Speaker 6: Well, it's probably like just jazz eight at this point. Yeah, but yeah, you know, I think it'll be nice.
Speaker 7: I think I like it. Yeah.
Speaker 3: It's nice that you're self sufficient in that way. You can pretty much make all your records on your own terms. Yeah, you don't need to go into a studio.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Well, I mean at first, it was just like going to the studios too expensive, you know.
Speaker 6: I remember when I lived in Vancouver, there are a couple of studios that were like come check it out, you know, And I did a day at this one studio called the Hive, which is a really nice studio Vancouver, and the guy calling from there was just kind of like, yeah, come do a day and I was like, sweet, sweet, do I owe you anything? He's like, nah, man, I'm just hooking up for today.
Speaker 7: I was like, okay, cool.
Speaker 6: But then even asking it at the end, I was like, well, like what if I wanted to come back and do more here, like, you know, how much would it cost? He's like, don't worry about it, like you're not you couldn't afford it.
Speaker 7: And I was like, oh, you know, but.
Speaker 6: Not in a way where it's kind of like we're too you know. It's just kind of like maybe some day, but like for you know, it's pretty I was paying two hundred bucks a month rant but like it would probably be more than that for a one day, and.
Speaker 7: But they go up from there. But it's just so I never had that and also working against the.
Speaker 6: Clock and all this kind of stuff, and I liked, you know, I've always I've always done it at home. At first I had no idea what I was doing. You kind of learn and learn and learn, and things change and the way things sound changes, and so you can you can get it to a pimp spot, but you're just always in the same level of come ability.
Speaker 7: Yeah, in your undies, do.
Speaker 3: You feel like the perception of you has changed since you started? In terms of this thing we were saying earlier about people always feel they have to say slacker jump and all these kind of things.
Speaker 7: Maybe I don't think like it. I don't think I think that a.
Speaker 6: Lot of people for this record too, are gonna be like, oh, he's trying to, like, you know, show us that he's grown up. Like I couldn't get it. I couldn't care less. That's the whole thing about it, is like there's a it is a you know, I.
Speaker 7: Mean, I get the slacker. I get that there's a lot of kids out there.
Speaker 6: I noticed sometimes, you know, because for example, somebody will post something about this.
Speaker 7: Album, be like classic goofy Mac is back, and then all my fans in the comments are like, these songs aren't goofy, like screw you, Like you don't know what you're talking about, you know, And it's cool that they're doing that.
Speaker 6: I don't care if somebody thinks a goofy sound, that's fine, you know, it's whatever. But I know there are kids out there in my fan base that like people, people can take whatever they want. Like some kids get like an emotional response from the songs maybe, or maybe just think it's a catchy tune. Other people watch my interviews or something else, know this persona. Perhaps you haven't even heard the music before, which is always crazy for me to find out about.
Speaker 7: Yeah, but understandable.
Speaker 6: You know. I do so many like videos and crap that it's like maybe makes sense, but for me, it's you know, I think of I think of it kind of similar the way I think of songwriting and recording and releasing music.
Speaker 7: Where as soon as you put.
Speaker 6: Something on a vinyl or put something on your band camp or whatever and put it out in the world, it's like.
Speaker 7: Not really yours anymore, it's just public domain. But the same thing goes for my personality.
Speaker 6: You know, It's not like I signed to like a three sixty deal and they like own my image. But it's kind of like, you know, I can't stop people from making a meme of me.
Speaker 7: You're like YadA YadA, YadA.
Speaker 6: But so it's and I'm being me, but there is a disconnect where it's kind of like I give it away and then people hone in on certain things and if they want to, you know, paint me as goofy or paint me as you know, serious, or paint me as whatever, like there's nothing you can do about it.
Speaker 7: And I just stop giving a shit a lot time ago. Yeah, so and yeah, that's a funny thing. The other thing is to eat.
Speaker 6: I meet some people that get stressed out about like how they're being portrayed and how YadA YadA YadA, and like they want to and I.
Speaker 7: Just I don't.
Speaker 6: Yeah whatever, you know, it's so ridiculous what I do anyway, it's I like to make money off of something like this is dope but so silly, you know, so so so so silly. It's great, you know, there's no complaints, but just that's probably part of this like whole you know theme of the record is like this is my life. It's so ridiculous. And like, and now I own a house? Like, what the fuck you know?
Speaker 7: I don't know?
Speaker 3: Cool, no complaints, I thought to end on we could play a game of sorts. Sure, game might be a bit strong word. We got a feature in the magazine called getting to Know You. It's like a questionnaire. Didn't know you? You filled in this questionnaire. I don't expect you to remember it. In fact, it would kind of ruin this game if you did remember any of it.
Speaker 7: I don't know if I did. I don't remember.
Speaker 3: This is from issue issue fifty seven, which was released in Let me see when this was. It was a long time ago. I think this was around the time of two. Okay, that's got to be a dat in here somewhere.
Speaker 9: Twenty fourteen. This was That's what's ups that? Two Debbie Saturdays? I think Saturdays twenty two. Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, this was Saturdays. I think this was just before the record came out.
Speaker 3: They're already short answers. I'm going to ask you a couple of them.
Speaker 7: And see what it was then more comparing.
Speaker 3: We'll compare the answers to what your answer would be now and what it was then. So what's your favorite word?
Speaker 7: Probably butt cheeks.
Speaker 3: Butt cheeks is correct, single bang. You haven't changed the fit. You say you're getting old and growing up. That's I don't believe that. Okay, the film you can quote the most.
Speaker 7: Of probably Star Wars or maybe Amadeis.
Speaker 3: Back then you went for Austin Powers.
Speaker 7: Okay, it might have been fib and Meg then.
Speaker 9: Okay, how about maybe Amadis.
Speaker 7: I don't know, who knows.
Speaker 3: How About what's your favorite place in the world? What is it right now?
Speaker 7: Right now?
Speaker 6: It's I love Tokyo. We've got to go to Spinson's then, so I love it.
Speaker 7: But what was it? Then?
Speaker 3: It was Hooters?
Speaker 7: Then that's been a little jackass. And this that's cute.
Speaker 3: This is the very first one of these two did this is like? This is like a test run if it's probably still the best one. The most famous person you've met.
Speaker 6: I feel like I probably would have said something like Joe Mama or something. But did I give me this or did I give like a serious answer there.
Speaker 3: I couldn't cool that because there's a chance you would have met this person. But I also wouldn't be surprised if you are kind of say like, I've never met I've never met.
Speaker 7: Okay, Well, let me say, who is the most famous person I would have met? Now? I've met the dude from Twilight. What's his name?
Speaker 3: Oh Patterson?
Speaker 7: Yeah, I met him?
Speaker 3: Was he dude?
Speaker 6: You know?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 6: I mean I was really drunk and I talked to him for like two seconds. I haven't we met before, and I was like, I don't know, so he seemed nice. I don't know, we didn't really meet him.
Speaker 7: I guess who was? Who was the most famous met? Jonah Hill?
Speaker 3: He's back then, you said, Lindsay Lohan.
Speaker 6: I'll definitely have Oh no, yeah, I did meet Lindsay Low and I did.
Speaker 3: Okay, that's that's good.
Speaker 6: That's still you know why I don't remember those because I met her. I meant I was getting introduced to these people on this couch and I.
Speaker 7: Was like, oh, hey, you know, hi, how are you doing? You know? It was by my friend Sandy.
Speaker 6: And then when I got to Lindsay, I was like hey, and I couldn't really hear. There's show going on, and like I was like, you know, Shirley or something like cool whatever, and I walked away and Kira was like, that's Lee Low and I was like, no, it wasn't.
Speaker 7: I looked over. I was like, oh yeah it was. So I just completely blanked on it, which is.
Speaker 3: You know, I felt that that was cool.
Speaker 7: He's pretty famous though, she's famous.
Speaker 3: Pretty famous.
Speaker 7: Yeah, Jony Hill is pretty famous too, though.
Speaker 3: I think that niece now be your on. So yeah, he's more famous than her, now, right, I guess. So I see a nice guy.
Speaker 7: Yeah he was.
Speaker 6: It was kind of you know, he was he was a big fan, but he was kind of like, oh my god, not but you know.
Speaker 7: Him freaking out at me, being like I love you.
Speaker 6: And then I was kind of like, but you're like Johnny. You know, I saw super Bad when I was like super young. I've seen a ton of his movies.
Speaker 3: It's like super Bad is still his best.
Speaker 7: That movie's hilarious. I watch it last week.
Speaker 6: But but for you know, to have somebody that I should be freaking out on freak out at me preemptively, it was just like, oh.
Speaker 7: You know, it's like really weird, but he's a really nice guy.
Speaker 3: Okay, let's just do a couple more your guilty pleasure.
Speaker 6: M I probably m probably said you said cold Play all the time, but I'm not guilty about cold play.
Speaker 7: Guilty pleasure just eating. I eat like ship. You know that's my guilty pleasure.
Speaker 3: Do you know? Do you know what you said? And see fous, I'm full same what you said pissing in the bath?
Speaker 7: No, that that's true, that you that's your Was this over email? That I do this over email? Must have been because I thought I must have thought these out.
Speaker 6: That's so sick. I love pissing in the bath. I do feel guilty about it, especially when my girlfriend's in there with me.
Speaker 3: Okay, this is we just did this last one. You'll biggest disappointment this this question that you can you can find out a lot about people and how they how they answer it.
Speaker 7: So I don't have no idea what I would have said, but let me just say what.
Speaker 8: I'll say now. The biggest disappointment, I don't know what, don't. I don't really feel disappointed ever. I liked the new Star Wars movies. I'm trying to think movies. That's the only thing that really mm hmmm, Star Wars. What other movies have even seen this year? Pretty much?
Speaker 7: None? Yeah, I didn't like the Hobbit, but.
Speaker 3: Then your biggest disappointment was my penis.
Speaker 4: But Yeah.
Speaker 1: Midnight Chats is a loud and quiet podcast production by Emma Snook Music courtesy of gold Panda. Search Midnight Chats on iTunes for more episodes and to subscribe. For more information, visit loudan quiet dot com