Speaker 1: Strap on the boots and scrape up the knuckles. Hold ahead, he got jacked.
Speaker 2: This is the Big Red Rage presented by santan Ford and Gilbert.
Speaker 3: Harry's Gonna score touchdown Slim to the ground by Buddha Baker like a torpedo.
Speaker 1: He came flying into the back deal.
Speaker 2: The Rage is brought to you by santan Ford and Gilbert right on the Price right on the corner of the Santan two o two Freeway and bal Vista Seek your Ticket to Great Seats, and by Arizona Cardinals Podcast. Visit Azycardinals dot com, Slash podcast.
Speaker 1: A Red Seats, Rising.
Speaker 2: Up Jimp with your rising vision, Blurry Frage, Take it Ober, Here's Paul Calvic.
Speaker 1: I'm ready. I'm one hundred percent ready. I'm telling you I'm ready. And Ron Woopley.
Speaker 4: It doesn't get any better than that.
Speaker 1: Leash All right, Red, see here we go. Don't be late coming off the ball. That is your queue. Let's hear you here a trophy and Chandler on Queen Creek Road between Price and Dobson. You know what was trending all afternoon? Wolf? What was that bully on social med? Don't act like you don't know. Okay, I don't know, but okay, i'll pay. Somebody needs to check Wolfe's cup over there, because it was thirsty thursdays. That's what was trending on social media. What are you talking about? Just bringing that up because you know, yeah, you can smell what Will? All right, we'll get to Will's intro here in a moment, just to finish the thought. Okay, after a bye week, who's thirsty for some football? That's my I got you, all right, Yeah, I'm thirsty, Paul, Thanks wolf for playing along. Appreciate over there at Let's go. It is the Big Man edition of the Big Red Rage. And I know everyone finds this as a shocking news, but poly Pencil Neck has never played offensive line at any level of football. So we brought in a real serious offensive lineman here tonight. Will to be an expert on the topic. Yes, exactly, how about it? Everyone, Will, Hernandez, you're starting right guard. Will. In fact, he has started every single game he has played for the Arizona Cardinals. And here he is. We got the next hour. We got questions. But first off, how do you feel coming off the bike a little re energized?
Speaker 5: How to go oh yeah, I'm definitely feeling like the energizer bunny right now, ready to roll. You know, got the guys got well, we got the guys back together.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 5: The camaraderie is one of the best parts of the offseason. You don't realize how much you miss it until you're away from these guys for at least a couple of days, and then all of a sudden you start missing them. So it's good to be good.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, go ahead and move that mike a little bit closer to your mouth, if you could possibly do that. Right here, you're actually gonna go hang out, are you not with the offensive lineman after a big.
Speaker 1: Red rage here? Correct?
Speaker 5: Yes, Thursdays is our official offensive line dinners. So we all get together at Di Humphrey's house and then he has his chef cook for us, you know, big timer, And yeah, we just hang out for a little bit watching Thursday night football game and uh yeah.
Speaker 4: This is what is so amazing about this Polly to me right there, back when I was playing, when I first.
Speaker 1: Came into the league in nineteen eighty five.
Speaker 4: Man, I can't even believe it was that long nineteen eighty five. That's exactly what the offensive line did every Thursday night as well. They all got together the offensive lineman even then, and they've been doing that for decades.
Speaker 1: Isn't that unbelievable that has been passed down.
Speaker 5: No, it's awesome, and it's actually kind of become a little bit of a lost art. Not as many teams do it.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 5: When I know it was at Rye work, we didn't really do it. And when I came here, I quickly realized that that was like the norm here, like the gut that we had so many older offensive linemen, your ten plus year vets, and they made sure they made they left that behind.
Speaker 1: Whow Yeah, that's so cool. I just want to know how much food is consumed one of these dinners. Like if the chef comes in and there's ten of you, he's really cooking for like two dozen honestly, right.
Speaker 5: Let's just say this. When we're done eating dinner on Thursday night, Yeah, he is already preparing and starting to prepare the next meal for the next Thursday night.
Speaker 1: That's good, Okay, you know, speaking of that, you know what's coming. He's speaking all that. Well, I'm just saying, now, shall not ask an offensive lineman the following question.
Speaker 4: But you're going to do it any It's okay. Will and I have an understanding. He knows what I like him at all, right, so I'm going to ask him, well, what's your weight at right now?
Speaker 5: You know what it's going to be, around the three forty forty five range. Okay, when after this online dinner, Oh might not be.
Speaker 4: So accurate, you know, because I like, well with about free fitty. That's what I tell them all the time. It's pretty interesting.
Speaker 1: Well because see here on the official flip card, you're listed as three thirty two, So that.
Speaker 5: Was before all line dinner.
Speaker 1: I see, Okay, I gotcha. I just thought, I oh my goodness. All right, look here's the head coach, Jonathan Gannon on the Well, we'll call it the much needed by week, considering the Cardinals had the latest bye week possible in the NFL schedule.
Speaker 6: We've been at it for a long time, so you know, I know they had a little pep in their step. They needed the break, and it was. It was obviously later than normal, but pros and cons of having your break where it's at right now. But I got some guys healthy, hopefully turning the corner A couple guys.
Speaker 1: I'll tell you what if once upon a time Grandma got run over by a reindeer. The Steelers got run over by the Cardinals rush game? Did they not good? Time? I mean thirty eight carries about fifty on the ground, that's almost four yards of carry. James Connor's out there with one hundred and twenty yards on the ground his homecoming. How good did that feel as a sendoff into the bye week? That game and just the manner in which you guys won the game.
Speaker 5: Oh no, it was awesome. That's exactly when you want to have, you know, your best game. You want to play very well and win the game going into a bye week. You can ride that along and uh, you know it's it's it's a it's a great feeling throughout that whole time, something you can enjoy the entire uh bye week.
Speaker 4: And Paulie, you know how I feel on this too. You know that this is what you had to be capable of doing. One of the reasons why it's so important that Kyler Murray plays under center, in my opinion, from time to time it is capable of playing under center is exactly for the reason near the end of that game that you wanted. You wanted to you wanted to ice that game, Paul, you wanted to seal the deal.
Speaker 1: How you gonna do that.
Speaker 4: You're gonna go ahead, You're gonna get James Conner's toes at seven. You're gonna let him attack the line of scrimmage, and you're gonna run the ball. You're gonna hammer the ball. And that's exactly what they did to finish that game. Got to be capable of doing everything and anything, right.
Speaker 5: No, Yeah, I completely agree. I think you know, having Kyler under center is only going to set him up for success. It's gonna make his job and what he already does very well, a lot easier for him to do. Yes, So, you know, when we get the wrong game going, those linebackers get nosy. You know, we start seeing a little bit you know less, you know blitz. You know, we got guys coming off the edgend as often, and it's just a lot easier for him to make these throws that he's capable of making, even you know, if they make it hard for him, but why not make it easier on yourself? And you know why not, you know, give James Connor to the ball as much as we did that game, and uh, you know everybody eats with that formula, everybody eats.
Speaker 1: You know. It was interesting. Jonathan Ganna told the media after that game that him and Drew Petsing talked and and he said, you know what, there's nothing wrong with repeating a play if it's working. Yeah, go back to it with divulging exactly maybe what play it was. Did you guys have a go to? Was there a consistent run play that you know you just kept coming back to and having success with at Pittsburgh.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean we kept, you know, doing a lot of Pinna poles. We would just change the direction that we were doing and you know, we'd we'd get one off the left side, couldn't stop it, come back on it on the right other hash take it to the right. We would run up right through the middle too. With James Connor, you know, that's something that he does very well. A lot of gap scheme and but mainly we were doing a lot of pinn and poll and a lot of wide zone would just getting him running and hadn't give him James the ball and letting him do what he does.
Speaker 4: See that's the beautiful thing about it. If you can execute, it doesn't matter. They can know that it's coming. Yeah, they can know that it's coming. Stop it, because we're going to execute. We're gonna get a bunch of guys butt gots, no offense, the butt goots.
Speaker 1: We're gonna get these guys to.
Speaker 4: Come off the ball at the point of attack and do it with a dark heart. Man, come off the ball and you try to stop it. This is where you need to get to, where you're just out executing. Even when they know what's coming, they can't stop it.
Speaker 1: I'll tell you what, I'm still waiting for the name Cam Hayward to be called. I haven't heard his name called ever since that game started. I'll be honest with you. Let's go to Drew Petsy talking about the Old Line as a unit and how they have progressed this year.
Speaker 7: They've done a really nice job. It's not an easy job, especially in this division with some of the fronts that we've had to play. They've played some really good players, but I think they've done a really nice job. The effort that continuing to compete. You saw the way that they finished the game. I think it was what twelve fourteen straight runs there to end the game. Just the attitude and the mentality that they play with. I think that's something that they've really done a nice job of embracing collectively and continuing to build as we move through the season.
Speaker 1: And we'll get into the Niners Center a little bit. But just for everyone like yours, truly, it's never played old line. We always hear the media cliche about chemistry and consistency and continuity up front, I mean true or false? Is that a real thing among the five starting offensive linemen?
Speaker 5: Yes? Absolutely. You know, I've always tried to explain to people the online position or the offensive line is like almost like a gearbox, like every gear has to turn exactly in a certain way for the next one to work. And you know, we work off of each other, and sometimes the only thing we need is sometime together and sometimes to learn how we each individually set block guys, you know how we think about things. You know, we have to get to know each other and sometimes it's not about spending so much cram time together, but it's just playing some games during a season and it's it's the best way to get some chemistry going is by actually playing in these live games together.
Speaker 4: They're called tandem blocks. Anyone listening right now, tandem blocks. I don't know if you still call them that or not, but back when I was around, that's the terminology we used.
Speaker 1: A tandem block.
Speaker 4: A center guard was an ace block, a guard tackle was a deuce block, a tackle tight end was a tray block.
Speaker 1: It literally that's what it was.
Speaker 4: Really difficult stuff, ace deuce tray right, really difficult. But at the same time you have to all act as one. Offensive linemen have to act almost as a team.
Speaker 1: In the NBA on the defensive.
Speaker 4: End of the floor, where you're all tied to a string, right, offensive linemen need to do largely the same thing.
Speaker 5: Yes, exactly, I've always said offensive line. And you know, the dbs are very similar. They got to work together and the piss of the pieces, yes, affect one another more than any other position. And just for everybody that's even hearing us right now, we're talking about ace, deuce trays, singles, double triples. Like it's a whole different language too, Like I bet none of you guys, they don't ever talk about them in TV either. Yeah, Well, this verbasion language, it's literally a different language. What are we talking?
Speaker 1: What is your favorite play to run though?
Speaker 4: Is it a power scheme which involves down blocks at the point of attack?
Speaker 1: Double team pulled the uncovered lineman. What's your favorite?
Speaker 4: Is it power scheme or zone scheme where everybody comes off in the same direction.
Speaker 5: I mean, I've always been a huge fan of gab scheme, gaps. I'm bill for you know. I know you were out college and you know it's actually what deflates a defense more than anything when they realize they can't stop you coming right at them, because in the type of formations that we get, they know it's coming.
Speaker 1: Demoralize this. I'll tell you what. That final touchdown run by the Cardinals in Pittsburgh, third and one from the nine, James Conner didn't even get touched till inside the.
Speaker 4: Five and go Look who was out in front of that? Will Hernandez just killing somebody?
Speaker 1: Hey, Cardinals in focus the reminder. Every Saturday six thirty on twelve News, we continue the Big Man edition of the Big Red Rage will Ernandez ore Getch presented by Santan Ford and Gilbert y'all. James Connor, the running back, gets the call.
Speaker 3: The dives over the top straight ahead into the end zone for the touchdown in his first game as a visitor in this stadium. James Connor returns to Pittsburgh with a huge touchdown midway through the third to make it sixteen to three. They hand it off Connor to the left, first down, Connor dies for the end zone touchdown. James Connor with two scores and the welcome back Carty in Pittsburgh. The Cardinals extend their lead to twenty three to three with eight twenty eight to play.
Speaker 4: All the Cardinals just broke out the black and blue ber Day Baby, Light up and suck the beating heart that afford speaking.
Speaker 1: Of your reponent. That is a huge possession by this teape. A huge fourth quarter by the Cardinals offense, especially running the ball. James Connor had seventy one yards rushing in the fourth quarter alone. Beautiful. Think about that. It's a big red rage. Will Hernandez is our big guest here presented by santan Ford in Gilbert live from Trophy and Chandler located on Queen Creek Road between Price and Dobson. One of the best parts of the game in the win twenty four to ten Cardinals in Pittsburgh was after the game to hear TJ. Watt tell the media and I quote, we got our behinds kicked, we got pummeled today, Mike Tomlin saying that was losing football just JV football in a lot of ways, pretty gratifying. So let me ask you this. You always hear another media cliche, right, wearing down a defense, true or false? Can it happen in a game?
Speaker 5: Yes? Absolutely?
Speaker 1: And what does it take to do that? I mean, in this case, you guys ran it thirty eight times? Does it necessarily take that many rushing attempts? I mean, how do you know when you're sort of on the verge of okay breaking through? Yeah?
Speaker 5: And the reason I absolutely is because a lot of these guys, especially in the league, will make quote unquote business decisions after a certain amount of physicality has been imposed and a certain amount of points are on the board when they when they think they can't come back from a game, they can't come back on the scoreboard, and they can't come back on the actual like physicality during the game. It's like they kind of just shut down a little bit, or they kind of don't rush as hard as they were in the first quarter or you know, all of a sudden instead of like doing their second or third move on their passing on past place, all of a sudden, they're just looking for the ball, looking for the ball, and you know, little things like that. But you can definitely warm down. I think the biggest way and the fastest way to do it is they can't stop the run.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 5: And that's exactly you know what these guys did. And that's why you know TJ. Watt said what he said, you know, because there's no hyphen. You know, anybody that can watch that game, anybody that did watch that game can see that. So you know, why not just take darr on the foy like he did. And yeah, and that's exactly what happens and how it.
Speaker 4: Happens as a football player. I just want to say this. I want everyone listening right now to know, as a football player, there's nothing more gratifying or rewarding than lining up on the ball and just running the football and jamming it down your opponent's throat.
Speaker 2: It is.
Speaker 4: It boosts your morale, it fires up your defense. They're standing on the sideline watching you eat time off the clock and just hammer the opponents there's nothing that is better. There's nothing that is more satisfying on a football field, in my opinion, than lining up and running the ball down the throats of your opponent. It demoralizes them and it just builds your morale. It's an incredible feeling.
Speaker 5: Oh, in those situations, the entire defense is your best friends.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, right, your defense.
Speaker 5: You come. You're coming off from the from the field. They're getting you water. You need a towel, What is it that you need? Good job, man, nice, put on the bag. Let me take your helmet for you.
Speaker 1: It tires them up, bech, it does.
Speaker 4: It's it's the it's the great thing about the game of football. You need to understand, if you're listening right now, it is an emotional game. It is, and the emotion is something that is bred by you being more physical than your opponent.
Speaker 1: So much of the time. Well, if you're trying to assess an offensive line, they don't necessarily have their own stats. But dare I say, all you need to do is look at the run game, and we'll fook at the Cardinals. This year, Cardinals are top ten in the NFL and yards per game. They're top three in yards per carry four point seven yards per carry, as the team and the Cardinals are tied for the number one spot when it comes to explosive runs twenty or more yards. Think about that and then think about vital James Connor has been in every one of those categories, right. And here's Paris Johnson Junior, the rookie right tackle right next to you in that line of scrimmage, talking to the media yesterday, and he was asked just about James Countor and whether a running back like that gives the old line extra juice.
Speaker 5: Well, hold on, did you say he was talking to the media yesterday? Yes, Okay, So every time a rookie talks to the media, especially in the offensive line room, he's getting fine.
Speaker 1: He's getting fine.
Speaker 5: Glad that you told me that you're a.
Speaker 1: Mean one, mister grinch. I mean, what's going on? What's going on?
Speaker 5: Not my rules. I just enforced them so I don't shoot the messenger.
Speaker 4: Wow, Okay, he's getting fine. Do you care to expound on that at all while you're fighting?
Speaker 5: Well, the offensive line, each room, each position group has their own structure of how they have their fine books set up. We have fines for everything. You can imagine some being basic things like when you fall started in the game, that's fine. When you're late to a meeting, that's a fine. You know, you're basic, do things right, or you're else, you're getting fine. And then we got the fines that the vets makeup and that they think are fair, like, for example, if a rookie talks to the media, that's a fine. If a rookie gets his name called out by the head coach or the offensive coordinator in any meeting, that's a fine. You know. I had one back in my rookie year when some vets asked me to get them Chick fil A on Sunday and I couldn't do that because obviously they're closed on Sundays, and I got fined for that.
Speaker 1: Did you appeal that one? Is there an appeal?
Speaker 5: There is an appeal process, and you can't go to court for it.
Speaker 1: Oh, it's so good, But the court.
Speaker 5: Is the same guys who are trying to find you. So what sends doesn't make and trying to fight anything.
Speaker 1: Like a lot of things in life, it's rigged. It's just a rigged process. I see, that's interesting. It's just a way to beat rookie down hopefully, hopefully Paris doesn't get fined even further after we play a sound bite talking about James Conner.
Speaker 8: When you're also making your block and you're seeing them down the field and he's throwing like a future Hall of Famer, long time NFL vet dB throwing him out of bounds, and I'm like, oh snap, Like okay, it's like that, you know what I mean? So I think as an offensive line, that kind of gets excited because you know, as as soon as you get into the next level, you know, the of the defense, and he's gone. He's terrorizing everybody. So that's awesome to have him.
Speaker 1: Now, is there actually a democratic process in establishing these rules? Or is like the og Kelvin Beachum in charge or is the guy with the most tenure like DJ Humphrey's in charge? Like, how does that work? Exactly?
Speaker 5: It works strictly by seniority, So yes, Kevin Beacham has the final say and everything. That's just the way it works. I think it's worked like Deson's you play too, seniority rules, yes, and yeah, so okay, well has all to say.
Speaker 1: You know what I went this earlier today, It was Buddha Baker Antonio Hamilton, who's a senior member of the defense, instructing Garrett Williams, Key, Trall Clark, and Starling Thomas that there better be a Christmas tree near their lockers to all morning by the time everyone shows up, and they're like, well, what.
Speaker 5: Do we do?
Speaker 1: Where do we go? They're like, just figure it out. But it needs to be six foot tall and it's got to have lights, and so the rookie fair. Yeah, the rookies have to come up with a Christmas tree by tomorrow morning. They said, if the meeting starts at six thirty, you better get here at six to set up that tree.
Speaker 5: Yes, I completely agree. And you just reminded me that we parents just got fined this past week also because we asked him to put up the tree and he was a couple of days late with it, so he got fined per day. And then finally when he had the tree up with the lights and everything about a couple of days ago, there was no topper, no topper, Joel nothing. He didn't put anything up up on that hair.
Speaker 1: You have a tree without a topper.
Speaker 5: That's exactly what we allow God to be.
Speaker 1: So how much did you hit him for? Can I ask you?
Speaker 5: Yeah, so something like that would be around fifty bucks, and uh, you know, they pile up at the end of the day. There's so many. That's where we try to keep it.
Speaker 1: I'm sure. Oh my goodness, that's great. So let me ask you this. How much of your personality do you get from being raised in Vegas? Right? I mean, you know, I mean a glitz and glamour town like that, you know, I mean how much of your personality you think is a byproduct of where you grew up?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, I don't think there's much personality that comes from being from Vegas. I think the only time that actually shines is when whenever we go to the casinos here, you know. But other than that, I love Vegas. I think it's actually a very great city to live in. If you take out the strip and all the casinos and stuff, there's actually a lot to do there and it's a pretty nice quality of life there. It's similar to Phoenix. It's like a third of the size, though it's a valley as well, so you know, there's mountains and hiking everywhere. There's a mountain called Mont Charleston about forty five minutes out that gets snow every single year, so you want to do anything snow related, you got that forty five minutes out. And then on the other side of town, going east, you got Lake Mead, so you can go hit the lake every single year, every summer. And you know, obviously you got the nightlife. And then it's a big tourist city too, so they invest a ton in the streets and you know, everything looking nice and pretty.
Speaker 4: So uh, gra city to live in. Highly recommend it. So, you know what, we've talked to you about this in the past. We have done that.
Speaker 1: But I'm going to ask you something I have not asked you. When you were in high school, you know, and you were a.
Speaker 4: Senior in high school, you know what that that senioritis that's going on. How many times did you guys say, man, let's go down to the strip? Did you guys ever do that?
Speaker 5: I mean here and there, especially at that age, you know, yeah, yeah, a little bit. But where the real cool spots where at the time was in downtown, which was a little bit older.
Speaker 4: I got you, yeah for her, So yeah, interesting, Okay.
Speaker 1: Speaking of high school or Jim Momhunter did a little research apparently you're alum with other notable guys from Chaparral High School in Las Vegas, such as Mark Slaughter, the frontman up Glam Metal through Slaughter itself. If you remember that Wolf, I mean seriously, it's one of your most played Spotify soccers. Here all nights, sleep all day. Brandon Flowers, frontman for the Killers, seven time Grammy nominated Man, were you aware there were such luminaries in the musical world from your own high school?
Speaker 5: I was not, you know, big, big time names for sure, and I did not know that they attended to chaper But it makes sense though, because we're one of the oldest high schools in Las Vegas. And you know, just from the little bit that I learned while I was there, that school was actually originally made to be a prison, and when they started building housing around it as it got a little too close, so they ended up just turning it into a school.
Speaker 1: Are you serious about this, Yes, we were spared to be a prison.
Speaker 5: Yeah, if you go, it's the only school of its kind. It's a big square and uh it looks just like a prison, like it has like a courtyard and everything in the middle. And uh, it was all the plans were drawn up for it to be a prison, and they changed their mind last second, and yeah.
Speaker 1: We could probably do it. We could probably. So think about a wolf, right, he grows up in Vegas, he goes to Utab. Yeah, it was four years in El Paso and then gets drafted atop the second round by the New York Giants. New York Boom, all of a sudden, You're in the Big Apple. And didn't you live downtown? Didn't you live in Manhattan for a while.
Speaker 5: I lived across the Hudson on the Jersey side in like the Hoboken area.
Speaker 1: Gotcha, Okay, but what's what sort of culture shock was that? Just going to New York.
Speaker 5: Oh, it was a huge gold shock for me. I had never been on the East Coast my entire life. The furthest East I've been was Opasso, Texas, and that's the furthest west point in Texas.
Speaker 1: Souh.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it was a big culture shock for me. The people are different, the food's different. But I loved it out there. I absolutely I fell in love with the city, especially the food. You know, I had.
Speaker 4: Like, like what kind of food? Okay, now now you're gonna say food generally speaking.
Speaker 5: So I had never had Korean food until I went to New York. Yeah, and I know they have them in Vegas and Cheeks and everywhere, but I feel like out there is a different game, and it's just the quality and the people out there is just I feel like it's so much more authentic, just just just food wise.
Speaker 1: You know, are there good Cajun joints in New York City?
Speaker 9: Well?
Speaker 1: Everything is in New York. I honestly, you know, I cach and food.
Speaker 2: Me.
Speaker 1: Do you like Cajun food? I do? I do the best.
Speaker 5: Actually, that was one of the few spots that, like, I didn't see a lot of them.
Speaker 1: You didn't see well, hell, there you go, Paul. You got to be ready to when you order a slice of pizza and some of that, like hey, what do you want? Let's go right. I mean, it's just everyone's so aggressive, right, you got to be ready.
Speaker 5: You know. They're very blending and very you know, like straight to the point, which I actually really like. So that's why I think I like this so much out there, because you know, a lot of these people would talk to me in a certain way, and I find it kind of funny, and you know, Yeah, it kind of got me in a good mood.
Speaker 4: You know, how is high school football outside of Las Vegas, Nevada?
Speaker 1: What is it?
Speaker 5: I mean?
Speaker 4: How many guys actually go to Division I schools from Nevada outside of Las Vegas?
Speaker 1: Do you know? Yeah?
Speaker 5: Very few? I think Reno might be the only one. Because if you and are but very very few Vegas and Reno, I think, what is you and O's University of Nevad Arena?
Speaker 1: I gotcha? Yeah? Very interesting? Okay, all right, what do you think someday you're gonna go back up to Vegas? And you know, like your post playing days, what's your forever home going to be? Post playing days?
Speaker 5: You know what, as soon as I got out here at Phoenix, I didn't even have to spend three months here to know that I wanted to buy a house out here, and I did. And I can definitely see the Phoenix being my forever, my forever home, especially the one, the house that I'm in now, because I was in New York City for four years and you know, I was in a two bedroom apartment the entire time, you know, no backyard, no nothing, and I lived above like a on a building on the third floor of a like high end Cuban restaurant, so there was always no noise outside of my window. And when I came here to Phoenix, the first thing I did was I bought a house with a backyard and a pool.
Speaker 1: Well done. I can't go back. Well done. We continue the Big Red Rage with Will Hernandez.
Speaker 3: Minute forty seven ago and a half, the game tied at three. Apeast snap to Murray five step drop, steps up, grows high over the middle, but want to catch inside the thirty yard line by McBride for a first down at the twenty seven where he tackled. But that was an incredible That was a high pass that McBride went up the ladder and pulled in. Snapped to Murray, He'll throw books lap, fire's lap in the end zone.
Speaker 1: It is caught by mccride and it's a touchdown.
Speaker 3: Tyler Murray engineers a ninety nine yard touchdown drive and the Cardinals take a nine to three lead in Pittsburgh.
Speaker 5: He has confidence to the roof.
Speaker 10: You know, he's become a master's nightmare for you know, whoever's on him goes.
Speaker 1: They're gonna put a safety on this stuff.
Speaker 10: For safety's Gordon super athletics guy's olema from Tray.
Speaker 1: How about it, Kyler Murray on this big new weapon, Trey McBride, who, by the way, has a new nickname, Curtesy at CALVISI consulting the poly pigskin division, ron Wolfe. You want to hear his new nickname? Yeah, Paully, give it to me. Trey mcplay. Okay, we get it. He's top three since Week eight in receptions by a tight end in the NFL receiving yards by a tight end. His name is right up there with Kittle and Kelsey and Hockinson. I mean, we're talking some luminary stuff right now by Trey McBride, who, by the way, Kyler Murray figured out you know what when and Dalt go to Trey McBride because eleven of his thirteen completions in Pittsburgh were to the tight end position. Think of the weapon all of a sudden that he has becoming. Basically you guys, tell me, if he's covered by a linebacker, he's still open, right, just throw him the dang football. At this point, he's so athletic and he's so good at snatching the ball out of the air.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, for me, Polly, if he's matched up on a linebacker for the most part, he's got a speed advantage right there, he's got an agility advantage. He can get separation as he comes up on this linebacker and boom breaks it one way or the other. Right, he can get that kind of if he's working against a safety, I think he can still body the guy. You know, he's so big that he can still body the guy. And when he's covered, he's even open. It's kind of like with Larry Fitzgerald. Right with Larry, Larry was open when he was covered and throwing the ball because of his catch radius, Larry.
Speaker 1: Was going to bring it down. Trade McBride, a lot of similarities I think that are there. I mean, will if we had to nominate the most improved guy, trade McBride, right, just in terms of the production. Now, whether it's because he's being focused on more and targeted more, I don't know, but man, look at the way he has grown over the course of this season, just in terms of what he's doing for this offense.
Speaker 5: No, yeah, I absolutely agree. I think he is one of the guys that has improved the most from last year. You know, also talking about the fact that he came from Colorado State. You know, it's now you're necessarily top five power conference, you know, yep, and so, and he was also learning a lot, you know, of the system that we had last year and then you know, obviously changing this year, so he had to adapt a lot in a short amount of time. So but now that he has something stable, now that he's able to learn a certain system and there's more continuity and the guys are all kind of the same, he's able to actually show what he can do. Because sometimes that's all the guy and needs. It's just some consistency to show everything that he can do, or get that extra buosh of confidence to show everything that that he's capable of.
Speaker 4: You know, I say this all the time, Bali, and I'd love to get your reaction to this will but I say, confidence is the currency of competition. Confidence is the currency of competition.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 4: If you're a confident dude, you're going to go out there and you're going to buy and sell performances based on your confidence level. So much of the time, now it's not a guarantee. All the time, it is not. But man, I don't think Trey McBride is ever going to be the same guy. He's never going to be the same guy when he came into this year again, and the confidence that he has gained this season the rest of his career, he's never going to be the same guy in my opinion, because of the confidence boost he's received.
Speaker 1: I tell you, it's amazing to watch him on the sideline. There are certain players in the out line that are like ultra intense, and then there are guys are more loose and they have a really good time, and then you know, he's like both at the same time. It's sort of an interesting mix. And he was talking to the media just about showing the emotion the way he does, and then Kyler followed up this week and here's how it went.
Speaker 9: I'm just an animated player. I'm an emotional guy. I love this game, and when I'm out there, you know, I make a big play. Sometimes I can't control myself. I just freaking geek out. I don't know what the heck. I just go crazy sometimes, so I don't know what goes on in my head. Sometimes I just start going crazy. Even Kyler's like, dude, you gotta chill out some you know, he's telling me the huddle like Trey, come on, man.
Speaker 10: His celebrations are a really awkward and it's just like it's like, I think, you know, his swag will get better as he you know, as he's keeps having success. But yeah, no, you know tight ends, you really don't, you know, you know, you never know what you're getting with him.
Speaker 1: What is he like in the huddle?
Speaker 5: Man? You want to talk about swag? You know swag? He has a swag when you when you mentioned all those stats and all his catches that he had, that's real stragged. So it doesn't matter how awkward and how funny his dances are, that's real strag is what he's putting on that statue. No, but he he's definitely exactly how he sounded on that in retaining like, I don't know, I just geek out sometimes, I just I just like that. That's exactly how he is in the locker room, on the field. Whenever we see him out and about, he's always just having fun. He's enjoying everything. You can tell he has a different you know, you know, he has a different angle of seeing life. He's he sees life and he says, I'm gonna enjoy this And that's just the mentality that he has. And you know, it's it's it's infectious because a lot of the guys you know, feet off of that, and even Kyler too. You know, he starts talking about you know, his celebrations and everything, and you know, normal normally Kylie is a little bit of a quiet guy, but he Trey gets him talking.
Speaker 4: So that's it's great. It's great to have him around. Do you guys challenge him though? Do you challenge him in regard to being a true stud tight end and other words, Hey, you've got to be able to block just as well as anything else. How many guys actually walk up to him and say, hey, try you know, because I gotta tell you when I see him, like when I see him in the lobby of a hotel. You know, right, man, just promise me you're not gonna be a pass catching tell you that. Promise me you're not gonna be that guy that you're gonna still work to come off the ball and hammer somebody because he's got the ability to do that.
Speaker 5: Does he not?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Absolutely? And I think that's why he was drafted where he was too, because you know, he can do it all. And I believe it too, after playing with the guy for a year and a half most two years, two seasons, he has the capabilities of doing both and doing them at a high level. And I mean, I'm I'm glad we brought this up right now because when I see him tomorrow at work, I'm gonna tell him I'm gonna be like, you know what, Trey, Uh, he just read off all your stats to me on the radio show. So you're kind of screwed now because you've shown what you can do, what you're capable of, So anything less than this, we're just not gonna acceit.
Speaker 4: Okay, but will what if you just say, listen, they read off all your stats and it was really mind blowing, how many you know what I care about?
Speaker 1: Bro? You coming off the ball? You know what you should say?
Speaker 5: That?
Speaker 1: So Wolfe is basically insinuating don't be a pretty boy. That's basically.
Speaker 5: I'm with you. And I think that's pretty much like should be assumed by him when he's talking to us. And I think we stated it a few times. I know Paris has been on him about that too. And you know what, you just gave me an idea we might just set up in a fine system just for him in the tight end, because you know, they really work with us a lot, so they're kind of a part of the whole iron room, so they have to be a true part of it. And you know, we might just we might just come up with a little fine system for him. Every time you come off the ball, if he misses the block, you set them out. You set the dollar amount right now like it.
Speaker 1: Will Will is paying all his bills based on these fines he's getting in in the locker room. He's gonna pay off his holiday. Credick's can send you with a big red rage Will rnandez all presented by Santan Ford in Gilbert.
Speaker 5: We got a good group of guys that's just like great dudes that want to play football. So it's easy to mingle with the group.
Speaker 8: Is easy to interject young office and linemen into the room and it'd be fun.
Speaker 5: Oh man, me and Farris are already clicking. Man, such a cool guy, very smart. We even have our own handshake going on. Already there you go, and it's already. Well, I'll give you guys a clue, it's you. We wouldn't call it a handshake. We would call it more of a belly shake, all right.
Speaker 1: So that was from the Wolf and Luke Show, like a training camp. So did that ever come to me? Was that just sort of an experiment in camp? Will Hernandez or did you guys? Actually I don't still practice that sort of celebration to this day. I haven't really noticed it, to be honest with him. The whole belly shake.
Speaker 5: Okay, Well that's just the point here, because we do it every single drive. Really, yes, at the beginning of every single drive. We started off by and you know we've we've shown it already, but it's a it's a one of the East and we both hit each other like stomach. We purposely blow it out and we both smack each other's stomach and it's just kind of like, you know, like I we're ready to roll.
Speaker 1: Well, this is you know what, this is a this is exactly what football is all about. Right now, we got all these people going, what what do you guys? What do you do?
Speaker 5: This is?
Speaker 4: You know what, It doesn't surprise me in the least. The belly shake is what you do. Well that's ye.
Speaker 1: Look, it's our Big Man edition of the Big Red Rage presented by Santan Ford and Gilbert Will. Hernandez starting right guard is our guest. You're a trophy and Chandler located on Queen Creek Road between Bryce and Dobson. We've learned that Will's pay is mortgage based on fines to a Paris Johnson Junior, the six pick overall. Who can afford it? Let's be honest on that one right there. How has you know? Tell us about Paris real quick? I asked him yesterday. I said, when he was meeting the media and about to get fined, I said, last time you played the Niners week four, now it's week fifteen, how much better are you? And he literally went oh, like he just reacted viscerally like, oh, I am so much better than I was in September. Agree, Paris?
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, I agree. You know, when Paris first came in, obviously he's a study. You know, he got picked. Before he got picked, he started playing right away, and he's never ever not played up to his potential. But for you to say that he got a lot better, that is true. He was already good, but he did get a lot better.
Speaker 1: And uh, you know what was it? Like?
Speaker 5: What eight weeks, seven weeks and then and you'd be surprised how much better he's doing. And not just in a physical way or anything, because he's always physical, but like in a in a football IQ kind of way, he understands things more. He understands why he does the things he can already do.
Speaker 1: So do you actually tell him that? Do you compliment him or you you know, hey, rook let's go.
Speaker 5: I do, but not too much because we don't want to blow his head up, to which you don't want.
Speaker 1: It exactly right. You don't want him all of a sudden walking around with his head all of.
Speaker 5: A sudden, he's gonna start appealing fines and you.
Speaker 1: Know we can't have That's right, That's right. Absolutely. As a rookie, you know your spot. He does know though that the Niners come in with the top rated defense in the league, and here he was talking about just the challenge that comes with playing San Francisco.
Speaker 8: When you're going against a lot of you know, top tier guys. I think it makes you excited, you know, I think you naturally take the step in your game to play that much better, to do your job, because you know this is what you come out of college for to play guys like these, and I think the good thing about them is that they have the depth. Their two's are just like the ones. So I think you'res always playing your best game.
Speaker 1: It's funny Wolf. I'll ask Will from time to time in the locker room and it'll roll his eyes at me and doesn't really sew us say, you know, tell us about the big challenge this week. It's like cal VC. It's every week it's TJ Watt. Last week it's Aaron Donald, the week before it's Miles Garrett, it's Micah Parsons. Now you get Nick Bosa and a ton of other guys who can play. I mean, it's it literally is all. Almost every week you get a marquee talent to go against.
Speaker 5: Right, Yeah, exactly. Everybody's good in this league. Everybody gets paid for a reason. There is no off week or you know, I'm going to take it easy this week, or all of a sudden, they have a stud this week. I know every team has their stud and some are better than others, but at the end of the day, they're all studs.
Speaker 4: You know what's amazing about this forty nine Ers defense, in particular, they really want to get you in third and obvious pass situations for obvious reasons, because they have a great pass rush.
Speaker 1: But man, they're.
Speaker 4: Front seven, as you well know, Will, these guys are as good as it gets in the National Football League. Number one in rushing yards per game allowed, number seven and rushing yards per play allowed. They've got a very aggressive physical box. We talk about Javon Hargrave, Javon Kinlaw. You've got Eric Armstead, Nick Bosa, You've got Chase Young.
Speaker 1: You traded for Chase Young.
Speaker 4: And then oh, by the way, Randy Gregory istill throw in. Randy Greg's the guy gonna throw him out there. Listen, this is Fred Warner. Oh my goodness, it's on tape to me as good as it gets. What about you will? Because I see you, I see you with a kind of a skull on your face.
Speaker 1: Money wolf. He doesn't like this line of questioning as I'm talking about these you.
Speaker 5: Know, you know, if we weren't playing them this week, I would agree with you maybe a little bit. But you're dead wrong.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're dead wrong right now. You're dead wrong. Until I got you new question, new topic. On your birthday, you got a wake up call. Share with everyone what your dad did on your birthday not too long ago, earlier this year, because you posted the video, didn't you to social media? What exactly happened?
Speaker 5: Uh yeah, yeah, So my pops is here right now on for a little bit, uh, staying here in Phoenix for a few months because you know, as I mentioned earlier about a house last year, I sort of renovated it a little bit.
Speaker 1: This year.
Speaker 5: My dad's a contractor, so he's been helping me out a lot. And uh, and he's spent staying with me. You know, we got a little roommate situation going on. And uh yeah, on my birthday he was there. So he just you know, he he got these these mariachi bands too, uh to come sing from me a little bit, you know, we'll wake up happy birthday and uh yeah, so.
Speaker 1: He woke up to a mariachi band. Yes in the house.
Speaker 5: Yes, it was the best alarm I've ever had.
Speaker 1: That is great. That's so cool right there, Thank you, dad, I appreciate that. Let me ask you this other big man question. Somebody submitted what's more? What benefits a big man more? In the line of, you know, in the trenches, the all white unis or the all black unis.
Speaker 5: I'm a huge fan of the black. You know, that's the big boy friendly color there, okay, And I think all my big guys here can agree with that.
Speaker 1: You know, black all the time.
Speaker 4: I like, whe I want it all white, you know, I want it all white, ready to get some blood on.
Speaker 1: Goodness.
Speaker 4: And you knew it was common, especially the offensive lineman back in the day. Not all of them wore gloves, so they'd get their knuckles all foody. They come by and they'd.
Speaker 1: Wipe it on me because they knew I wanted it, so I had to give it to me, mad I did have one old lineman tell me, though, the black is more slimming, but in the all white you look faster.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, I would say probably the red would take that red too, just like you're just like on the road, you know, you see a red car, your automatic vision's fast. And then it's partially true because these insurance companies they up your rate and they up your pricing if you have a red car. So okay, I would say, the red Union state down all right.
Speaker 1: Will ernandez everyone about it. With all apologies to Paris Johnson Junior, we got them fine based on the Big Red Rage presented by santan Ford and Gilbert Special thanks as always Jim Amanro, Cody Fincher, Wald Ellis, Lawrence Ellis, Ali Narini, b Ron Wolfley on Paul calBC. This has been the Big Red Rage presented by santan Ford in Gilbert Yah.
Speaker 2: You've been listening to the Big Red Rage presented by santan Ford and Gilbert right on the Price, right on the corner of the Santan two to two Freeway in Valvista. The Rage is brought to you by seat Geek Your Ticket to Great Seats and by Arizona Cardinals Podcast. Visit Azcardinals dot com Slash Podcast. This has been an exclusive presentation of the Arizona Cardinals Football Club.