Speaker 1: This is Wall Street Week. I'm David Weston bringing you stories of capitalism this week. As the business and political elites gathered in Davos, Switzerland, what did they try to accomplish and what are the odds of success? Plus President Trump pledges to deport unlawful immigrants by the hundreds of thousands, we look at what that could mean for the economy and the rapid growth of non alcoholic beer, what is driving it and how far could it go? But we start with the tragedy of the Los Angeles fires, measured first and foremost in the lives lost and the homes destroyed. It's much more than a story about money, but it is also about money, and sadly only the most recent chapter of a story We've brought you in December about how much we are willing to pay to protect what we value. Then it was losses from hurricanes in Florida. Now it's about the even greater losses from fires in Los Angeles.
Speaker 2: H It's a lot of a lot of hard work building, building a business and seeing.
Speaker 3: This it's tough, and we can see fireballs just rolling up the street.
Speaker 4: Really scary when you can see the flames coming up over the houses. It looked like pandemonium.
Speaker 5: You love retired firefighters, so I know, I know the dangerous one is a wind driven fire. There's nothing now, you know, very little we can do.
Speaker 6: It's definitely tough. There's a lot of people who don't have insurance.
Speaker 1: Yeah, as those that lost their homes try to figure out how or even if they can rebuild, they'll be turning to their insurance companies. JP Morgan estimates the insured damages covered could exceed twenty billion dollars, which would make these the costliest wildfires in US history. So could this push California's insurance market to its limit?
Speaker 3: This is speculative and shifting day by day, so we're not sure exactly where it's going to land. But the insurance industry that have looked into this and have looked at the impact on their book are not running for the hills.
Speaker 1: Jerry Theodoro is director of the Finance, Insurance and Trade Policy Program at Our Street Institute, a DC based think tank that promotes free markets. Like Theodoro, SMP Global Ratings says the insured losses from the LA fires should be manageable. In part, that's because it's not just the primary insurance companies bearing the losses, it's also the reinsurance companies that back them.
Speaker 3: Up made it. Insured losses are twenty to thirty billion dollars and reinsurance is going to a big piece of that risk that's spread all over the world Bermuda, London, Continental Europe, the Far East. Reinsurance companies taking a piece of the pain. So a big company like the Farmers, which is the second largest insurer in California for homeowners, has got over one hundred reinsurers on its reinsurance panel.
Speaker 1: As the ones insured homeowners are the first step in a ladder of risk that starts with individuals or businesses, goes up to insurers, than to reinsures, and ultimately can hit investors or even taxpayers. With each step, the risk is calculated, changed, repackaged and spread around. But one thing we know for certain, it never goes away. Instead, it's increased and with it the premiums have also been on the rise.
Speaker 3: It's a tragic event and it's one that the insurance industry I think is prepared to deal with of this incredible distribution of risk. I mean, think about having one hundred reinsurers on your panel you know Lloyd syndicates, big guys, big reinsurers in continental Europe Bermuda reinsurans. There are some US insurance Korea, China, other countries too that have got reinsurance companies that take a bite out of the apple of a company that is seeding its risk to the reinsurance market so that it pays up to a certain amount. This is the most that we're prepared to lose.
Speaker 7: Swissree is a global reinsurance company and our clients are insurance companies. We partner with insurance companies to protect their balance sheets.
Speaker 1: Monica Ningen is CEO of US Property and Casualty Reinsurance at Swiss re, one of the largest reinsurers in the world.
Speaker 7: When it comes to reinsurance rates, there is an impact from climate change, but it's relatively small. The other factors being economic in inflation, wage inflation, inflation of construction plays a big factor. Especially in the last few years. We see people moving to areas that are more prone to catastrophes. We also see people moving into forests that are of course impacted by wildfires.
Speaker 1: So there's a big.
Speaker 7: Component of it that comes from just people living in places that are more exposed to catastrophes.
Speaker 1: With the help of reinsurance, insurers may be able to cover the enormous losses in Los Angeles, but the owners of homes and businesses will pay part of the cost through higher premiums. Across the country, insurance prices have surged over the past two years. Since the beginning of twenty twenty three, the cost of homeowners insurance nationwide has climbed over twenty one percent, while CPI rose just five percent. The price of some commercial insurance is up nearly fifteen percent over the same period. After seven of the twelve major companies writing policies in California cut back on their coverage, California recently changed some of its regulations, specifically to let insurers take into account higher rates paid to reinsurers and to use forward looking models to project losses like those suffered in La. But as efficient as insurance and reinsurance may be at distributing the risk up and down the chain, the best remedy, by far is to avoid more minimize the risk altogether. For a disaster like wildfires that begins with enhanced firefighting capacity.
Speaker 8: The La County Fire Department was prepared for one or two major brush fires, but not for this is not a normal red flag glurt.
Speaker 1: Months before the Palisades Fire, the LA Fire Department's budget was cut by about seventeen million dollars.
Speaker 9: Unless that local government's budget has a whole bunch of just reserve extra cash, it means that to increase some port portion of those services or capacities always comes at the expense of something else. Right now, we can point at water, we can point it responders, we can point at all kinds of things.
Speaker 1: Frank Freevolt is a former fire chief who now leads the Wild and Urban Interface Fire Institute at California Polytechnic State University.
Speaker 9: There are limits to the water system that you can expand it's not just about getting the water someplace. It needs to have a certain amount of pressure, especially in firefighting situations. You have to increase capacity of storage. You have to improve the distribution system, and that is that is not cheap. You that have to lay additional distribution lines into the infrastructure means tearing up roads, going through other utilities, disrupting traffic. Or you need to increase the diameter of the things you already have, which is really the same thing.
Speaker 10: LA will rise, and make no mistake, I am confident that we.
Speaker 1: Rebuild, But what will that rebuilding look like and will it be different in ways that reduce the risk of these sorts of losses being repeated in the future. Risk models flag the Palisades due to several factors, including high home values, challenging terrain, and windy, dry weather.
Speaker 4: The more we build out into fire prone areas, and in California, many of our areas are fire prone, we have these very flashy climate episodes of really wet, wet, wet, then dry, dry, dry, hot, hot, hot, which means that the vegetation at any given time is very susceptible to burning, and so the more humans are out there at the urban interface with this highly flammable landscape, the more likely there will be an ignition.
Speaker 1: Stephanie Pincel is the director of the California Center for Sustainable Communities at UCLA. She points out that city planners don't have as much say in urban planning as one might think.
Speaker 4: This is not the first fire. This is one of many, many, many, many fires that has occurred. The problem is, we, like have been accustomed to living in a certain way, and so it's very hard for policymakers to resist the desire to rebuild in exactly the same way. Urban planners have very little to do with that, in fact, because if the mayor and the governor and others proclaim that things are going to be rebuilding exactly the same way in exactly the same places, the urban planner only has to follow the you know, they have to follow along. They are not at the leading edge.
Speaker 1: Taking steps to reduce future risk will not come cheap, which means that there has to be the political will to spend the money that's needed.
Speaker 4: We have to really think practically about what rebuilding.
Speaker 2: Can look like.
Speaker 4: The other thing is that is not talked about very much. We're a tax restricted state, and we need to have a vigorous and serious discussion. We have to do things like public participation, budgeting. Give people a budget, where would you spend the budget. Let's have a discussion about this and bring people into the understanding of what governing your place is like and that these decisions are not easy decisions.
Speaker 6: I'm just happy to see the community rallying together. I know everyone's been on the phone texting about how we're going to come back from this, and it's going to take a lot of effort in a lot of time. But I love the Zoork, Kyle says, and I really ex tested my home to come back together and rebuild.
Speaker 1: But in the end, it all comes back to those experiencing the laws most directly and painfully. It turns on the behavior of those of us at the bottom of the insurance chain to determine whether and how best to protect ourselves from the next one.
Speaker 7: So when you look to the future, I think there's a few things that will change. I think that consumers were still to better understand their own risk exposure and what their own resiliency looks like. As events impact our lives every day, consumers are being more aware than they ever have been on the risks that their homes face.
Speaker 9: Whatever we do, do not build back in the same place in the same way, or we have the same consequence.
Speaker 1: Coming up. We turn to the snowy slopes of the Alps where we talk with our special contributor Larry Summers and have Sonny Beschloss of Rock Creek about what the move away from globalization means for things like the World Economic Forum that's next on Wall Street Week. The World Economic Forum was founded in nineteen seventy one to bring together leaders from around the world to develop a common agenda on important policy issues. The theme this year is collaboration in an intelligent world. Collaboration is something we aren't seeing all that much of.
Speaker 11: I must say.
Speaker 1: We are joined once again now by our very special controller, Larry Summers of Harvard, who actually has now been coming here for parts of five decades. So welcome Larry. It's great to have you.
Speaker 11: Good to be with you here in Davos.
Speaker 1: David, so give us your perspective of the years. I mean, it was a very different world in nineteen seventy one. How has Davos changed or not changed over that period of time.
Speaker 11: It's still cold, it's still crowded, people are still networking at a ferocious rate. I think the world saw Davos and the people who came to Davos with a bit more admiration some years ago than today. If you look around the world, do the election of President Trump in the United States, what's happened in France with Lapan, what's happening in Germany? Almost everywhere? The kinds of political figures who don't really like Davos, and the kind of cosmopolitan globalism for which it stands are riding high, and people here have different reactions. Some are scared, some are angry, some are a little bit contemptuous. I think it's important that everyone be listening and reflecting on the political strange that clearly are more present in democracies today than they were a decade or two ago.
Speaker 1: There has been a fair line discussion about what the reelection of President Trump means. A lot of discussions as well about general of AI, something that you've been talking about for some time, and the technological innovation that's going on. What do you make of that, and maybe as important, does technology help us avoid financial mistakes.
Speaker 11: I don't think technology is any kind of armor against financial access. I even argue the opposite. I think almost all bubbles start with a story that's based in reality. The Internet was a big thing in the nineties, but that didn't stop a bubble from developing. In nineteen ninety nine, Japan had really come into its own as a highly productive, rapidly growing economy, but that even contributed to the massive Japanese bubble in the nineteen eighties. Twenties were a period of extraordinary technological change. It was the biggest period for diffusion of both electricity and the automobile in the United States, but that didn't stop. Indeed, it contributed to the euphoria that led to accesses in the market and to a sharp decline in the market in the nineteen twenties. So I think it's a mistake for people in markets to lose sight of the fact that even if there are happy things happening technologically, that those are not armor against financial or cyclical excess. And I think that's particularly important at a moment when there are lots of questions about the processes generating public policy.
Speaker 1: A Sunny Beach Loss of Rock Creek has been participating in Davos meetings for many years, although she didn't make it to Switzerland this year. We asked her about how it has adapted to a changing world and what comes next.
Speaker 12: First of all, the number of people going has changed a lot, David. This year, I think it will be close to three thousand people going from one hundred and thirty countries. It started much more as a European, much smaller focused group for business leaders only, so in that way it has changed. It has also changed in terms of the scope it used to really look at a few topics, and now it looks across so many different sectors, from energy to tech, to utilities, to infrastructure, to a lot of the soft and to a lot of issues that are interested to nonprofits only and governments. So the scope of the topics covered has changed. The biggest change I find is that let's say if you went there in the early nineteen nineties, as I did, what you would find is that you.
Speaker 2: Could cross collaborate a lot more.
Speaker 12: By that, I mean if you were in one sector, let's say finance or economics or multilateral groups, you would be talking to other groups as well, and you would go into meetings that you knew nothing about and come back learning a lot about specific topics. Today with is very very established. But one both advantage and disadvantage is that.
Speaker 2: You go in your own lane.
Speaker 12: So if you are a business leader, you are meeting with other business leaders.
Speaker 2: You may go to the morning yoga.
Speaker 12: Session with a lot of other people, but really the most of your sessions are pretty determined. If your university president, you go into meetings with other university presidents.
Speaker 1: Obviously, the World Economic Forum has evolved over the many years it's been in existence. The world has changed as well. When it was started back in nineteen seventy one, most of the multilateral cooperation set up in the wake of World War Two was still intact. A lot of is challenged today, if not absolutely taken apart. How does the world to the way it exists now really make it possible for we F to do what it's trying to do.
Speaker 12: I think, as you said, the world is a very different place today, and I think what the WEF allows is often actually at the sidelines of WEF for people who are having some sort of conflict to meet and talk in ways that they might not be able to do. So you do see politicians who are meeting there in quiet ways. A lot of business gets done there in also relatively quiet ways. So people looking at M and A or people looking at specific kinds of deals get a lot accomplished during these meetings in a very concentrated way.
Speaker 1: Klaus Schwab obviously found it and continues to lead it, and the agenda for this year, as I understand, is collaboration in an intelligent world, the intelligence in part in artificial intelligence, and he's made a call for really having global cooperation and dealing with generator of AI. What are the prospect for that?
Speaker 12: I think, David, it would be great if there was cooperation globally across the globe on general AI, but as we both see, that is probably not very likely, if anything, With the existing geopolitical issues that we see, there's more division on how countries and scientists and technical people are developing. And if you're sitting in the US or you're sitting in China or other parts of the world, I think people are not necessarily collaborating.
Speaker 2: Even inside countries.
Speaker 12: Companies are not necessarily collaborating as we see whether you're looking at open AI or other companies that are involved in developing a lot of the new technology. I think there's not necessarily as much collaboration as you would like. But I think the bigger topic, and class does touch on this is not just collaboration is probably not going to happen as much as you would like in these meetings.
Speaker 1: When we think about global cooperation, I am strugg by the difference between the response the global financial crisis in two thousand and eight two thousand and nine. We're to a large degree, I believe nations, even rival nations, came together to fix it and the response to COVID nineteen where it's not at all clear that they did come together in twenty twenty, is that indicating that it's harder and harder to get rival nations to really work with one another.
Speaker 12: I think definitely much harder today in terms of their rivalries between nations. But also what has happened is the world economic order.
Speaker 2: Has changed what you had.
Speaker 12: Maybe if you looked even at the stock market, you had, for example, the Chinese stock market had become large, and you saw that it was a big share of the market. European markets were a little bit bigger. Today you have such dominance of the US when it comes to finance, when it comes to the size of the US companies, when it comes to the power of the US dollar.
Speaker 2: A lot has shift that.
Speaker 12: While you know, ten years ago we might have thought there would be more diversification with the global seuth with a lot of emerging markets doing better, with Europe doing better with the EU, what we have found is that whether it is regulation in the EU, whether you know, the differentiation in emerging markets among them those who have used technology in a different way compared to the other ones, and where there's been more political strife. And by the way we should look at the red points when you look at the wef new risk areas, the risk of war has increased, particularly in emerging markets. So you have a world much more dominated today by the US in a way you didn't before. So this strife that we see, we see I think increasing because of the huge differentiation that you see between the US and other countries. And I think China is going through so much of its own problems where internal consumption is not going up, where you have the demographic issues, where you have growth issues, where the growth the economy is coming up to much lower levels. So you are in a different world that that's not very conducive to cooperation.
Speaker 1: If we were creating the equivalent of a World Economic Forum today, would we do it the same way? I wonder there are so many alternative meetings that are held around the globe pretty much every day of the year, somebody's meeting, and the need for cooperations global coverage has gone up, even as the prospects for it may have gone down. Is this the most effective way to really develop global agendas on these important issues.
Speaker 12: I think if you were starting from scratch, you might do it differently. You might again go back a little bit to the origins of web and truly try to get groups that do not necessarily come across each other or talk to each other to start talking much more across and sort of take out the hierarchy out of it a little bit. So in that way, I think things could be done differently today and also bring young people into the conversation much more, because at the same time, as well has accomplished bringing a lot of different kinds of people, it is still fairly regimented when it comes to different populations.
Speaker 2: I think you would do it differently.
Speaker 12: One thing, David that was very interesting with that COVID is when COVID happened, I think a lot of people thought that wef would die potentially, But what we learned is that people, as much as we like to meet on zoom and as much as we like to meet more efficiently electronically and digitally, we really want to meet each other in person. So you certainly need people to come together in person to discuss big topics and come to some sort of resolution.
Speaker 1: Coming up non alcoholic beer is all the rage, at least for some We take a look at the fastest growing non alcoholic brand in the United States Athletic. That's next on Wall Street Week. This is a story about habits, those we love and those we should probably do something about. Sold the barrels of bear and full.
Speaker 2: Don't you know what.
Speaker 13: I'm one of those.
Speaker 1: I love beer, so here's the right place to be. Alcohol has been part of human society since the first beers appeared in the Stone Age. It spans everything from pop culture, go to the Winchester.
Speaker 13: I have a nice coat client for all lists of blowouts.
Speaker 1: To presidents. But now, after thousands of years, change may be coming to the one point six trillion dollar alcohol industry.
Speaker 10: We used to have a phrase in the early days, people drinking good times and people drinking bad times. Well, the trends appeared to be disproving that.
Speaker 1: Brad Berkman's family has been in the alcohol business since his great grandmother became one of the first women to hold a New York state liquor license. Now he's a lawyer at Greenspoon Martyr representing breweries, wineries and distilleries.
Speaker 10: There's a lot of concern with sales Valumely twenty twenty four as we move into twenty twenty five. We've seen significant drops in all categories of alcoholic beverages, that is, wine, beer, and distilled spirits, and the industry is a bit rattled.
Speaker 1: By it, and it's young people driving the change. In a survey last year, IWSR found that the number of US drinkers who had added non alcoholic beverages to their mix had gone up from seven percent to thirteen percent. For millennials it was twenty two percent, with gen Z following at fifteen percent.
Speaker 10: I mean boomers are still drinking, right, We're not seeing that much of a difference in all categories. But gen zs as I mentioned, are looking for health alternatives or healthier alternatives, at least those things they perceive to be healthier. So you know what does that mean. It could mean non alcoholic alternatives, It could mean low proof drinks, low proof spirits. It could mean Selzer's or similar products.
Speaker 14: While bar and restaurant volume is an overall low percentage of our volume, I think it's a really high introduction to our product.
Speaker 1: One of those making the change from alcoholic to non alcoholic beers was a young trader at point seventy two named Bill Schufeld.
Speaker 14: I was turning thirty, taking my career more seriously. I was about to get married and kind of evaluating all these major goals in my life, like health, wellness, relationships, career, being a father. And there's one thing there was a ceiling on all those things, and that was alcohol. And I kind of realized, you know, I'm going out to three or four work dinners a week than some things dinner with my wife and relaxing on weekends. And I went from someone who was surviving workouts to loving working out and so basically feeling the best I've ever felt and being as productive as ever. But I was still at all those social things, and I realized there was no other half of the adult beverage menu. So if you wanted to be in all those places and not drink, there weren't options.
Speaker 1: So Schufelt teamed with craft brewer John Walker to create some of those non alcoholic options, founding Athletic Brewing in twenty seventeen. Today, the Connecticut based brewery is rapidly approaching a one billion dollar valuation, writing a surge in non alcoholic beers since twenty eighteen, The category now accounts for one point five percent of total beer sales in America.
Speaker 14: Most food and beverage businesses outsourced production, at least in the early days. We made the opposite quality decision to do everything ourselves. And so our first we built. It took me one hundred and twenty investor meetings to raise our nearly three million dollars from sixty six incredible angel investors. And we thought we were building this brewery for five years, and it was oversized. Enough cushion there, and we outgrew that breery in ten months, and so immediately we're going back to our investors and seeking a bigger plan. And so our next bury was three thousand miles away in San Diego. It was about ten times the footprint and about twenty times the output of the original plan. So the first one we built connected was the first ever non alcoholic production facility in the US, and then immediately built one two years later ten times the size of that. And then the year later we started building another one on the East coast that was two and a half times the size of that bigger one and about fifty times the size of our original brewery.
Speaker 1: As you look to continue to growing your business, what's the lowest hanging fruit. Is it to get other areas that you reached geographically, Is it to get more people drinking category, is to move into other beverages.
Speaker 14: I'd say most of all the above. I'd say naturally, our awareness is still pretty low, only about twenty percent of Americans, even though the non i'll call category has been totally revamped and is a really exciting place. So I think new consumers becoming aware to the category in the independent on and off premise so privately owned stores, our penetration is still pretty low. Also, it's below twenty percent nationally, so there's a lot of opportunity to be more available. It's a really underdistributed category, despite it being the fastest grown category in beer the last five years. So I think new populations, awareness, distribution are all probably the biggest opportunities.
Speaker 1: It may be small, but it's growing fast, and Schufeld thinks that growth has a way to go.
Speaker 14: I really believe that for zero to two percent is the hardest, like getting the boulder rolling. I think two to ten percent is going to be incredibly faster than people think, and ten to twenty percent will happen in a blank and I think it's probably going far beyond that also, which that would point into a category that's somewhere in the twenty five to fifty billion dollar range in the not too distant future.
Speaker 1: Reaching those numbers would require the sort of generational culture shift that Schufeldt feels is beginning to take hold in corporate America.
Speaker 14: I kind of saw in my financial career over the twelve years I was in finance, it went from being a badge of honor to be hungover and out entertaining to really frowned upon, and people were really performance driven and health driven, and so I saw that change in myself, and so I was definitely extracolating that there's this big tipping point coming in society, which has actually played out over the last ten years.
Speaker 1: When you talk about tipping points for alcohol, you have to give credit to Dame INGA Beale, who in twenty seventeen, when she was the first female CEO of Lloyd's of London, instituted a ban on employees having alcohol between the hours of nine and five, part of a broader initiative to modernize an institution established over three centuries ago.
Speaker 13: I started working in the eighties and I can remember going to the bar, going down the pub with the other underwriters, with my coworkers, with the brokers who brought us the business, and necking down a few glasses of beer. So I remember growing up like that. But you know, times had moved on and I said, look, we need to make sure that we've got people sober when they're making big, multi billion decisions sometimes. So we said, right, we're going to have an drug and alcohol policy, which means you won't be able to consume alcohol if you're coming back to work during the day, so if you're in working hours, no alcohol.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 13: I had no idea that that would get me more headlines than anything else I did. While I was modernizing Lloyd's, the technology I was doing, introducing the innovation lab, opening up new markets, this was the one, this banning alcohol at lunchtime, that got me more head lines around the world. I wasn't expecting it, so there was this huge backlash. And when you're going through any change and you haven't really involved and included people enough, you could always have backlash. If you're ahead of your time, you're trying to force something through, particularly when it's unexpected. I mean, nobody likes to be perhaps told what to do, so I was accused of operating a nanny state so fundamentally trying to control everything that everyone was doing. So that was very much a backlash on me personally, and people didn't really understand why it was necessary because they'd been used to it for so long. They've been used to it for centuries. Actually, when you're doing culture change, even though culture is so difficult to define and so difficult to actually explain and tell somebody else about, we are talking about a real culture change here.
Speaker 1: Even with some initial backlash, Bill's policy shift did stick, and Lloyd says since widened the policy to include anyone entering its offices.
Speaker 13: If you go to the bars around the Lloyd's market now you'll see a whole host of array of non alcoholic drinks for sale. And I remember when I used to be a young underwriter. You'd go into the pub, the bar, the beer was the cheapest thing. If you wanted the equivalent volume in a soft drink, a soft beverage, it costs much more than the bear did. It just wasn't the dum thing. You're seeing a complete or we are feeling now in the London market, the financial market a difference, and non alcoholic beverages now are basically not being priced out of the market like they used to be.
Speaker 1: And while that culture shift is opening up a market for the likes of athletic the ultimate question is how far can this trend go? Could the future of alcohol be under threat? Could alcohol go the way of cigarettes, something seen as ubiquitous a century ago but now a rarity on Wall Street or the city of London.
Speaker 10: I don't think it's a flash in the pan. But will it go the way of the cigarette and tobacco? I don't have an answer to that yet. I strongly doubt it, only because the cultural aspect and society, if you will, of the consumption of alcohol, right and how we drink and where we drink, and all those events that are tied in to the consumption of alcohol, and frankly all businesses that are tied in or other businesses that are tied into the consumption of alcohol, bars, restaurants, hotels, I mean, you name it. There are too many, too many opportunities. It's too baked into our culture, it's too baked into many people's lifestyles to go the way of tobacco. That doesn't mean that we're not going to see a decrease in consumption as a result of these health concerns. I predict that it will have some effect. We will see a decrease in some sales of alcoholic beverages, particularly those that are perceived as being unhealthy. Popular priced products may take a hit.
Speaker 1: If I'm a traditional alcoholic beer producer, should I be worried about you? Are you taking away market share from me?
Speaker 4: So?
Speaker 14: I think we have some parallels to other industries, like plant based meat, plant based milk, But the big difference is, like athletics not trying to bring back prohibition, we're not trying to take away anyone's alcohol. I was just a consumer who is at bars. I love beer, I love good food. I wanted to be in those places and there was nothing on the menu. And I think there are fifty plus percent of adults in that position. Alcohol and beer have been around for five thousand years. I don't think it's going away, and it's a big part of society and social traditions. However, there's this really exciting growth vector of the category that I think shouldn't be ignored. It should be embraced and encouraged and fostered. But we're definitely not trying to be antagonistic to the industry. We're trying to help it grow.
Speaker 1: The US producers about one hundred and seventy five million barrels of beer each year. Unlikely Americans will lose their taste for beer anytime soon, but they just might revisit their taste for alcohol. Cheers, jeers, Thanks, thank you. That does it for this episode of Wall Street Week, I'm David Weston. This is Bloomberg. Join us next week for more stories of capitalism.