Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: Hey that's some Atlanta music right there. Yeah yeah, hello Beauty. Welcome to another Beauty Translated mini mini so number twelve, can you believe it? And this time I have producer Jess Crying chich in the house with me. Hi, Jess, welcome to the pod.
Speaker 1: Wow, thank you. It's so fun to be on this side.
Speaker 2: On the front facing pod side. Yeah, you're always are behind the scenes super producer. I'm really glad that that we're finally able to have you on the show. To introduce you to the listeners. Oh thanks, Well, Jess, tell the listeners a little bit about who you are and just what you do aside from working on Beauty Translated or some of the other things you do. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So obviously I'm a podcast producer and audio producer, but I'm also a musician. We've had so many fun musicians on this show this season. It's been really awesome. So I am trained as a jazz vocalist, but recently have formed a new project called Boy Jane, a kind of indie rock band here, you know, gigging around local here in Brooklyn. So that's been really fun and it's been my little passion project.
Speaker 2: Tell Us about I love the name boy Jane, tell us about the tell Us about the name.
Speaker 1: Well, thanks, It's like, it's such a stupid, silly little name because all the music is written by me and my husband, and so we're the founding members of the band. And I was thinking, oh, like us as a duo, what are we like? We're kind of like Tarzan and Jane. But I would be the Tarzan and he would be the Jane. So it's like boy Jane, girl Tarzan, Yep, yep.
Speaker 2: And obviously that's ridiculous.
Speaker 1: So we just stuck with boy Jane because it sounds cute.
Speaker 2: That is cute, That is very I love that. I'm really glad I asked that question because I never knew until today. That's really awesome. And I just have to say Tarzan was one of my favorite animated movies as a soundtrack. Yes, Phil Collins, you be.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, deep cut. Did you ever have those Disney Mania CDs growing up where was celebrities or you know, famous singers redoing songs.
Speaker 2: I didn't, but my cousins probably did, because I did have cousins that were much more Disney like fanatical than I was.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, I had a couple of those, and my first ever crush on a celebri already was Usher because he redid You'll be in my Heart, and it like something in my ten year old brain was like, Wow, that is the sound of love.
Speaker 2: I need to hear that. I might have heard that version like a long ass time ago, but I need to go back and listen to that because Usher, one of my favorite R and B artists, that that sounds like an amazing cover.
Speaker 3: I stand by it up.
Speaker 2: Wow Wow. Why don't we go ahead and get into the news of today and why we fucking hate it here? You know, every Thursday, every Friday we record you know, for those the listeners. We do record these on Friday and release them on Monday, so that I have the latest in all the news. I go into Google and what I do is I type in trans news. I don't. I just go and I'm like, what are the top headlines? And I'm always amazed at the patterns I notice with the news articles. So many of them are Fox News. It's very transparent that Fox News seems to rely heavily on these clickbait headline articles. And it's a lot of trans people in sports and it's a lot of trans kids stuff and stuff like that, and it's it's insane. So yeah, I just thought I would talk about that for a second.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I mean, they're grasping at straws for legitimacy, so they gotta do something.
Speaker 2: They're now fueling their headlines with like stuff about just groups of people that they don't like, which are trans women in sports and trans people having rights in general. It's crazy. So yeah, it's really upsetting. I mean, even here they have so this is recent news literally from an hour ago. Russia has passed a bill in parliament that bans trans healthcare for uh Russians that are trans. And that is deeply concerning because there are already a country that has anti gay laws and stuff like that. But the headline that Fox News chooses for this, to me, feels very intentional. It says Russian lawmakers outlaw transgender medical procedures to affirm quote traditional values. Oh my god. And it's almost like when and I don't want to be a conspiracy theorist, but you know, I am sometimes, but it's almost like they're like, see, look at Russia, that's you know, what we should be doing over here. Blah blah blah blah blah.
Speaker 1: It's so fascinating with the cherry picking that they do because obviously in our history, Russia the Cold War blah blah blah, huge quote unquote enemy or whatever tension you know to the US. And now it's like, oh, even though they're you know, imminently wanting to engage in nuclear warfare again, like, look at them, at least they're traditional.
Speaker 2: We love that. Yeah, the Chrysto fascists in this country are really simping hard for Russia. And it's like it's transparent, you know. Yeah, I feel bad for people in Russia. I think the Russian government is horrible. I don't think anyone in Russia should be blamed for that. And keep in mind that the people do who do sympathize, they have an all state run media.
Speaker 1: So it's like, you know, yeah, well, first off, really, you know, controversial stance there. Russian government bad.
Speaker 3: I know.
Speaker 2: Another hot take from Beauty translated. But in other news, trans athletes have been banned from international cycling and I should note that, I mean that's a headline that I just read from the Telegraph dot co dot UK, you know, in the UK we call it turf Island. It's not trans athletes, it was trans women have been banned from participating in international cycling. I guess I could have seen this coming with like the Lance Armstrong stuff we talked about last week, and it keeps coming back up whenever people need something to be mad about. The specific ruling is that if anyone has gone through a male puberty, they cannot participate in women's cycling, which you know, I would continue to argue that, yes, while most people who experience a male puberty are going to have some physical advantages to people who do not, I think to pretend that a male puberty is like this fulkinating like thing, it goes back to this like bio essentialist and kind of I think misogynists thinking that women are always going to be biologically inferior to men. And I don't necessarily buy that, Yeah, I know women, sis women. When I say that, I know sis women who are biologically superior to me, you know, and and I did go through a male puberty, and of course everybody's body is different, so I don't buy you know.
Speaker 1: No, definitely not. I mean, it's like an elementary school, middle school debate that everybody goes through in their class. Oh, boys are stronger than girls, So that means so like, no matter what, the sports are more interesting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like the whole WNBA, like.
Speaker 1: Nobody cares about it because it's women playing basketball. Don't know if you've seen there's always been people on like Twitter and whatever thinking that they could specifically do better at tennis than Serena Williams, who was like like the top athlete in my mind, like of the world. It's just like the Hubris.
Speaker 2: She prob Yeah, and I don't know do they do how do they do tennis? Do they do gendered? Yeah? Yeah, yeah, yeah, Okay does she ever compete against men? Like? Do they ever do that? Does that know?
Speaker 1: I mean that was the whole the Billie Jean King thing that she had the movie a couple of years ago. Not she you know, they the ubiquitous they made a movie about her. Who was the first woman to play against a man. I don't remember his name because who cares. He's whatever, Because again, the whole thing was like.
Speaker 2: He wanted to be like no, like you can't win or can't meet your girl? Does she win?
Speaker 1: She did win? She did win against Bobby Riggs. The number one ranked men's tennis player at the time. Yay Billy Jean King in the Battle of the Sexes match.
Speaker 2: Good for her.
Speaker 1: I also just feel like all these people who get super riled up about who should and shouldn't compete in sports aren't even like the people who are actually interested in sports, right It's like, are you watching blah blah blah. I don't think so. I mean, sure, my perception is that there are you know, toxic men watching the NFL or whatever, being.
Speaker 2: Like, God, get them out of the sports.
Speaker 1: But I feel like the majority of these noisy people do they actually give a real crap.
Speaker 2: And then when they do, they're fucking hypocrites. I just pulled up this stupid bitches Martina and Narva Ritolova from the Czech Republic, Sorry Czech Republic. This horror has been participating in women's tennis her hall fucking career, and she says yikes, yikes. Even on her Wikipedia page it says LGB writes in her for what she does it she doesn't advocate for transferright. She only advocates for gay people because because she's a lesbian. First, Okay, I'm like, okay.
Speaker 1: So what does she think she's some mystical fairy like nobody else like her exists or should exist.
Speaker 2: I guess, I guess. So why why it's an insane With Katelyn Enginner last week, Kaitlyn Jenner participating in women's golf doesn't think trans women should be able to fucking cycle anyway? What's about her? We're gonna go on a quick break and when we come back, we're going to celebrate some good news and let's celebrate.
Speaker 3: That they.
Speaker 2: And we're back, all right. So first thing I wanted to talk about in the let celebrate that segment. Miss Netherlands crowns its first openly trans woman, Ricky Valerie Collier. I'm assuming that's how I say that, And congrats to her. Want to celebrate her. She is stunning, and yeah, she deserves it. She looks like a fucking Victoria's Secret model. So of course she's been receiving hate for this because she is now going to go on to compete in the Miss Universe pageant, and she's been receiving a lot of hate and a lot of once again, trans people in another thing are being debated. You know, this whole story about Ricky Valerie Colier winning reminded me of when Genna Talakova in twenty twelve was all over the news because she was barred from participating in the Miss Canada Universe pageant, which at that time was run by Donald Trump. And that was my first memory as a trans child seeing Donald Trump be like super transphobic and hateful. Now fast forward to today, a trans woman from Thailand now owns Miss Universe. I followed pageants stuff for a long time when I was like younger, mostly like trans women pageants, because trans women have historically been excluded from beauty pageants, and they have historically competed in our own LGBT community pageants, which you know, was alongside a lot of a lot of CIS gay men also, so it's nice that we live in a world today where trans women can compete in the same kind of as other women because they're all getting plastic surgery. Anyway.
Speaker 1: I don't know about you, this is random, but every time any picture, mention whatever of Trump shows up on my feed, I have to immediately like scroll it out of you like it. I feel like it will poison me if I see it in front of my eyes, Like literally some sort of black magic is gonna like seep out.
Speaker 2: Of the fuck it's the fucking bird box or something. During the Trump campaign, like in twenty twenty, I used to watch there was a guy on YouTube who dubbed his I forget.
Speaker 1: Like you lip dubbed them.
Speaker 2: Yes, it was the guy who was in the tick, the human tick or the blue whatever. Yeah, he dubbed Trump with a like gay voice, Like did like gay voice, but it was like word for word what he was saying. Oh, but it was just gay voice. And so for a while that was actually how I the only way I could consume like a Trump speech was by watching the gay voice dub. Wow. I love that. Yeah, that's incredible. Now, all of that stuff. In twenty twelve with genaitel Cova, she was all over the news. Trump dragged her through the mud basically and just made a you know, a fool of her. She's completely changed now she lives in South Korea. She now no longer looks like a white woman. She looks like a Korean woman. Oh no, and I mean she's half she was half Korean anyway. I think her mom was Korean, but you.
Speaker 1: Were telling me she was another Alie London.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, not another Ali London. But she's definitely half Korean, but she made herself look like one hundred percent. But she lives in South Korea and she has completely like left the public eye altogether. And I don't blame her because I think just all of that led her to be like, yeah, I don't want to be in the media anymore, and just moved to another country and just basically took on another identity, you know, not another identity, but like I am all pro that. I fantasize all the time about getting my ffs, getting my vagina, getting all of that, and then changing my name again and then just moving to another country and never talking to anyone again, and that way I can just be stealth without because like you know, that's my thought, is like, well, damn, if I ever want to be stealth again, how am I going to do that? That's how I'm going to do it. Y'all won't even know. I'll be on the next plane.
Speaker 1: Where would you go?
Speaker 2: Well, if I told.
Speaker 1: You that's true, you're right, You're right, don't reveal it.
Speaker 2: I would go to Spain. I mean that's obvious. I would go to Spain and I would turn into HILARI a Baldwin, and I would pretend I'm Spanish, And yeah, I would. I would assume a new identity as a Spanish woman. Well, which is my wildest dream.
Speaker 1: Well, I hope that's in the cards.
Speaker 2: Free Spain loves trans women?
Speaker 1: Does Spain really?
Speaker 2: Oh? Yeah, Spain like that. Trans women have been like in Spanish media for a long long time. Oh, I guess I shouldn't sugarcoat it. If there are any Spanish listeners, they'll be like, I'm actually, yeah, it's probably got a good bit of transphobia. But I mean like there has been transvisibility in Spain for a very long time. You should watch Venino.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's been on my list.
Speaker 2: I'm bad at TV.
Speaker 1: If that can be a thing, like, yeah, no, I get you. I'm just like a rewatcher of all the boring brain candy. Yeah exactly.
Speaker 2: Is that numb your brain?
Speaker 1: But have you watched milf Manner?
Speaker 2: What is milf Manner?
Speaker 1: Milf Manner is a you know, like Love Island type show for older women, for MILFs, and they're all like yeah, just you know, younger men they keep up with me. Older men just can't do it, you know. Blah, blah blah, all the typical stuff. So the twist is that all the men come out that they're supposed to be dating and they're each other's sons.
Speaker 2: Wait what, Oh my god, women.
Speaker 1: Who are the dating contestants are dating each other's young sons.
Speaker 2: So this is the first season of the show. Yeah, so they're never gonna be able to do this again.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, how can you trick?
Speaker 2: Because they gooped and gagged these women, so it's all of their sons. So these women are going to be dating the other women's sons.
Speaker 1: Is exactly.
Speaker 2: That is horrifying. That is some fucking Lucille Blue Lucille, what's her name from across the hall, Liza Minellias. That is crazy.
Speaker 1: So if you need brain candy that I'll have to check that is the one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'll have to check that out. Oh my god, that sounds insane. I I I actually love There's like this episode of like I think it was like True Life where it was like that like MILFs with like and I'm talking like grannies, not like that's a guilf. Then yeah, it was like a Gulf yeah, with like younger guys, And I was like, this is crazy. But it wasn't There wasn't a twist like that.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, was it really true life?
Speaker 2: No? It was produced life, you know. Okay, well that is all we have for let's celebrate that this week. Thank you so much for tuning in to this week's episode of Beauty Translated, and thank you for being here with us, Jess, I appreciate it. Thanks, Carmen and h Can you tell the listeners where they can find you, follow you and listen to your music.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you guys can check out my band's Instagram page. Boy Jane Underscore band. We are like just starting out our Instagram page, so don't no hate.
Speaker 2: But yeah, basically this summer we'll.
Speaker 1: Be gigging around Brooklyn. Will be really soon at Branded Saloon, beloved queer spot here in Brooklyn. So I will be posting about those dates soon. So maybe I'll see you all there.
Speaker 2: Yeah that sounds Oh I want to go to Brooklyn. Yeah, be sure to tune in to Wednesday's episode. It is a season the Now featuring the trans Trailblazer Monica Holmes and her Darlene Wagner. I am talking to them both about their lives and accomplishments and Monica Hulmes w you know, is most famous for being the woman to create the trans Pride flag. So I am so excited for next week's season. For now, Jess hasn't even heard it. I can't wait. I know it's going to be It's going to be so good, So be sure to tune in on Wednesday for that and have a wonderful Monday.