Speaker 1: Drive Time with Travis Wingfield begins.
Speaker 2: Now, let me check your pulse if you're not.
Speaker 3: What is up, Dolphins and welcome to the Draft Time Podcast, part of the Miami Dolphins podcast network covering your team, your Miami Dolphins. How's it going, everybody? I am your host, Travis Wingfield. On today's show, the Dolphins lose a heartbreaker.
Speaker 1: It is a twenty one to fourteen.
Speaker 3: Loss to the Buffalo Bills that gives the Bills the AFC East Crown. Miami now the sixth seed, will play the Kansas City Chiefs on the road next week in the opening round of the playoffs. We'll do the five takeaways, the game story here from head coach Mike McDaniel. All of that and more from the Baptist Health Studios inside the Baptist Health Training Complex. This is the Draft Time Podcast, Miami Dolphins. This is the point of the episode where I typically would do a monologue of some sort, telling you about the feelings, the context, and you know, I spent a lot of time in this role, in this position trying to fight narratives that I think are unfair or entirely misguided or lacking context, or whatever the reason may be just trying to educate on why certain takes or certain thoughts or certain beliefs just to me.
Speaker 1: Are missing the mark.
Speaker 3: And I'm not going to do that on this episode because you know, McDaniel acknowledged it in his postgame press conference that it's not necessarily you know, it's it's it's something that it is what it is until you change it. Right in terms of the narrative about the Dolphins against the top teams in the league one and five this year, against teams with a winning record and the offensive you know regression back to the points points per game and their yardage and all the stats to go into how the Dolphins have performed in the biggest games this year. They have a chance to write that ship next week. Once again, I talked about it from the Cowboys game. The Dolphins would have you know, four games essentially the three and then into the playoffs, assuming they want a game to get into the playoffs to right that wrong. And they still have another chance to do that. But the offseason this year could be that potential storyline if you don't get it fixed. And that's going to be a lot different than last year. Right when we felt like injuries, which is the case this year as well, but injuries to the quarterback position were what robbed this team of potential good run deep into the postseason and now this year. If things don't get corrected next week, that could be what you deal with for the next seven months after the fact. But that is a future podcast. We're gonna get into this game, Get in and out real quick. Here's some audio. Do the game story? Do five real quick takeaways from the dolphins twenty one to fourteen loss at home. Here to the Buffalo Bills to fall so seven into a home this season, to fall to eleven and six on the year, and despite a better divisional record than the Buffalo Bills in the AFC East or no right, they're both for four and two.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry about that.
Speaker 3: But the Bills do get to sweep there, which gives them the tiebreaker and the second seed in the playoffs. They get to host the Pittsburgh Sealers next week, and the Dolphins now have to travel to KC on Saturday night. So pretty good showing early on from Miami. I mean, even into the fourth quarter, they had a seventy five percent winning probability according to the Yahoo sports app here that I'm looking at, But it got out of hand pretty quickly there, and the Bills, you know, were dominant in the stat sheet, and that's kind of you know, the Dolphins played a game that you thought they had to to find a way to win. They running the ball successful successfully in the first half, they were getting the takeaways, they were getting the red zone stops, they were executing the red zone themselves, and then it just kind of went the other direction in the second half, mostly the fourth quarter there. But your stats, Buffalo had ten more first downs twenty six to sixteen, thanks in large part to thirty eight minutes of time possession compared to twenty one fifty three for the Miami Dolphins. The Dolphins had they were sacked just one time the Bills. The Dolphins got to Josh Allen three times for sacks, they turned them over three times. He had two picks in the fumble. Miami had their own two turnovers as well to a tongue of by Lowa interceptions. The Bills out gained Miami four seventy three to two seventy five, so nearly two hundred and more yards then Miami. They were nine for fifteen on third downs compared to Miami's four for ten. They threw for three forty five compared to Miami's one sixty seven, and had one twenty eight on the ground pared to Miami's one o eight, but seventy seven total plays compared to forty eight. That's kind of the same script the game followed last year down here in Miami when the Dolphins beat the Bills in Week number three.
Speaker 1: But this one doesn't go the same way. Twenty one to fourteen, Buffalo wins it.
Speaker 3: Let's go ahead and hear from head coach Mike McDaniel on next steps after a tough loss.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a new season. We have to as hard as it is. That's part of the reason why you have so much joy in the game is when when you're you come out the right side, it's there's nothing like it. And then the polar opposite, when you let opportunities go by the wayside, it's it just completely absorbs you. So we don't have time to sulk or feel. You know, this is this is what happens in football. It's a against a very good team. You know, our team really really wanted it bad, but wanting you still got to do the things in football too to come out victorious. We didn't, So I've I'm very confident that our our players and coaches will uh turn their attention full bore two to our our to Kansas City, because that's all we can do, and that this is a uh this is a feeling that uh I can't console or or fix it with the team. It hurts it should we we lost the game that we think we're capable of winning. Hats off to the Buffalo Bills for coming uh coming in here and and winning the game. But yeah, we'll focus immediately on Kansas City because that's that's the only way that you can really get through something like this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, He's definitely right about the highs and lows of this sport in this league.
Speaker 3: Man, I'm driving over here from the stadium thinking about the way I felt on Christmas Eve driving over to the postgame show or the recap podcast for the Cowboys. Compared to this, I always say like, my job isn't actually work, But on games like this, this is when the work actually happened. Let's go ahead and get through the whole game script here and start with the Dolphins opening drive which ended in a pick five plays nineteen yards, you get an explosive play out the gate to devon a Chan for sixteen yards where he breaks a tackle and shows you great contact balance and you're thinking, Okay, this could be how this game goes the entire time. Then you get a third and seven situation after the same play loses three yards, and then you get a completion to get you back into manageable third down situation. But then TWA takes a deep shot and Tyreek had a step on Christian Benford and the ball was a little bit back on the backside behind Tyreek, and that allowed benfor I think, to make some a really good play and recover on the football and go pick it off, and then the Bills get the ball back. And you know, I complain for years now that it seems like Buffalo always finds a way to get a significant lead in the game against Miami early on, especially you know seven zero out the gate, gold drive, the opening drive down into the end zone. But not in this one, even though it looked like a twelve plays seventy nine yard drive that ends in a pick, I thought that Buffalo was doing good job on this drive. And this is why these games tend to be so lopsided for Buffalo in terms of how many plays they run to Miami is they just hit these short gains and run the football and find a way to sustain their third down, you know, sustain their drives. A third down execution nine for fifteen on the day, and in this first drive, I thought they were doing a good job of just taking the short stuff. You know, Miami's in the too high shell quite frequently. We saw some Javon Holland roll down and play slot corner, which would then have Brandon Jones in a deep position. With Deshaun Elliott, you'd see Jones roll down and kind of play a quasi linebacker role. So lots of variation there, and the Bills were finding success and just kind of, you know, staying on schedule. But with all the confusion of the different looks, Miami did a good job of getting to Allen and forcing mistakes on those long drives, which is what you want to do because you have to take away that guy's ability to make the big splash play because he's so damn gifted at doing that. But then you have to capitalize when he puts the ball in your hands because he is a very high variance quarterback right and so down in a gold line situation, they had a first down run stuff a really good coverage rap by Kater Kohu kind of dealing with a mesh concept and a shallow cross that he didn't get rubbed on makes the play for the breakup, and then they thrown all out blitz and Allen makes a bad decision in a bad throw and puts the ball in Eli Apples's hands so they don't think the football right back. And then they go back and they punt the ball after a good drive that helped flip the field six play fifty one yard drive where they got kray Craft on a slant tyreek for a deep curl and you're thinking, once again, seventeen nineteen yards. You go to Devon a Chan for eleven on that same flip, and Seth made a good comment where he said that eight chan makes Seth Levett, my co host on the postgame show. He made a comment about how these six yard runs for most guys can become eleven yard runs with Devon a Chan because of the speed he has where he just outruns guys and you have a bad angle on him. So it looks like Miami early in the game, after a couple of picks by either quarterback is gonna put this ball in the paint. Things bogged down. You get a short run of throwaway, then a miss on an outroude of the Tyreek and he caught up but didn't get the feet down punt the ball back. You get another Josh Allen pick six play, fifty four yard drive. He missed Stefan Diggs in the one play where I thought he really beat Jalen Ramsey down the field would have been an eighty nine yard touchdown, but he threw it way too far from him.
Speaker 1: But then they did get.
Speaker 3: An explosive play on a little screen pass where I thought Miami got too sucked in taking underneath the little block on the perimeter the safety roll down. I think it was Brandon Jones in the play went down underneath the block and that opened up the outside lane and the receiver Khalil Shaker was able to get up the perimeter, you know, outrun David long outrun I think it was to Shawn Elliott at that point before finally being usher out of bounds. But then you come right back and it's long and Elliott on a run stuff it's Christian Wilkins on a pressure that forces an incomplete pass. And then you get another play where they try to do a quarterback draw and Christian Wilkins comes off of his block and gets Josh Allen to the and it's looking like Wilkins is going to make back to back plays. Then they go for it on fourth down, and once again the Dolphins front did a good job of kind of hemming Allen into the pocket. And I talked about this with Seth again in the press box during the game, like he was getting out of the pocket, but they were hemming him into where he couldn't wrap around that outside contained and attack the line to either run or throw, which put him in a throw situations. And Mimi got lots of good stops and a good success right early on in the game by doing that. And on the fourth down, play man Andrew van Ginkel re routed Stefan Diggs and put him on the turf and it kind of sent the whole play out of whack.
Speaker 1: So just team effort.
Speaker 3: He throws a prayer up into the end zone to Shawn Elliott, picks it off and the Dolphins take over again for back to back picks, and they go down the field and score eighty yard drive eleven plays where it's consistent run game. It's Tedrick Wilson for nine yards. It's Braxon Barrios picking up a first down. They were second and sixteen behind the chains, and Tua throws a third and fourteen dart for twenty three yards of tyreek between four Bills defenders, just cruising. Then Jeff Wilson gets rolling with big chunks of yards, then two runs for a first down Nike bootleg, and then Devon Achan just puts everybody in a buying with an outside run with a great cut to find the end zone.
Speaker 1: And it's midway through the second quarter.
Speaker 3: Seven toahan Dolphins, big boy drive, their healthy offensive line, well you know, relatively speaking, healthy offensive line, pushing the Bills back, getting some mix of running pass game, big plays like. It was looking good at that point, and it looked good for further, even though the Bills took the next drive seven plays, seventy five yards with a couple of explosive plays, including a perfect throw from Josh Allen to Stefan Diggs for thirty six yards over Eli Apple, who was in great position to make a play in the ball with the ball was just perfectly thrown. We've talked about in this podcast lots with this offense, right, perfect balls typically cannot be defended, and that was the case here. They get a first down stop and then the second down play from second and goal from you know, closer to the ten yard line than the goal line. You get a ball bat at the line of scrimmage that could be third and goal from the seven or eight yard line, but instead it falls down right into Trent Sherfield's hands in the back of the end zone for one of the luckiest touchdowns you'll ever see. But I won't, you know, complain about that because I thought Miami over when you look at the game script and the stats, they were kind of fortunate to the score was that close, just based upon the yards and whatnot.
Speaker 1: So they take it in the field score touchdown.
Speaker 3: But then Miami bounces right back and scores a touchdown of their own, a nine play, seventy five yard drive towards the end of the half. And it's this team that has done this all year long to score before the half, Like it was really impressive looking you got another situation where they ran the ball for nine yards. Then two of finds durham smythe on a little option route where he looks at the slide and throws the glance on the middle for a first down. You're thinking, all right, this is rolling again. And then we got a huge moment in the game, and I tweeted about it. I put in my notes a third and three from the plus thirty six two minute warning, Buffalo had all three timeouts.
Speaker 1: Tie game.
Speaker 3: They get the stop there, maybe you kick a field goal, or maybe they get a four. They go for a fourth down, they get a stop there. You're playing tie game with them having the ball and the ball to start the second half. That was an important spot to kind of get the last shot, and they did more than that because Tua threw one of his best throws of the day, a twenty four yard pass on a corner route just Hedrick Wilson that could not have been laid out there more perfect. A couple of plays later, Tyreek catches a little Texas route screen type of pass for a nine yards down to the three yard line to put him in third and one and then two. It throws a strike on a speed out to Tyreek Hill for the touchdown, and it's fourteen to seven with under two minutes to play in the half, like you're in a great spot, right, But then the Bills come down and they might score a touchdown of their own because they get a ten play seventy three yard drive where Allen extended a couple of plays, got a first down on a scramble, and then with twenty one seconds to go with the plus twenty three, they had a drop pass in the end zone and then Mini played this kind of off coverage akin to the Charger game last year, kind of protecting the end zone, and the Bills took and easy thirteen yards and got out of bounds. So they're at the ten yard line with eleven seconds and Allan throws the ball into the field, which is the biggest no no quarterback can make, and he got punished for it because Jerome Baker comes from nowhere to make a great stick on the uh shoot who was Ty Johnson was the pass catcher on that play gets shut down at the one yard line, a kin to the nineteen ninety nine Super Bowl between the Titans and Rams when Cavan Dyson was a yard short in that one, he and Eli Apples your own Baker Apple team up for that big stop there. Mimmi takes a fourteen to seven lead into the locker room and like, how much more momentum can you get? Right? And then you get even more because Buffalo comes out and runs an eight play nineteen yard drive where Andrew Van Ginkle gets injured and has to come out of the game and is ruled out almost immediately, and you know you're already down chubbs and fill up, and you're thinking this is not a good spot to be in. But then you get a play from Melvin Ingram to get a sack and get Josh Allen to the ground, and so Mimi's gonna get the football back with a touchdown lead. The offense is role and the run games working, but that's when things fell apart offensively. The Dolphins go three and out, three plays, nine yards, a screen, a little slide pass to Julian Hill, then Braxon Burrios is like a half a yard short of a first down. Really good tackle there by Dan Jackson. So Mimi goes three and out with three passes. Buffalo gets the football back. Josh Allen fumbles the ball back to the Miami Dolphins. This is again, this is where I thought the game was really gonna go in the Miami Dolphins direction.
Speaker 1: Fourteen plays, forty nine yards.
Speaker 3: They got a good play by Cameron Good again talking about next man up. You get Van Ginkle goes down, Melvin gets the sack, camera Good makes a play for a one yard run. Then Melvin Ingram draws a hold, but then Josh Allen negates that because he gets a crazy scramble for thirteen yards and then gets a conversion to Dalton King Kid. They Dolphin send another all out blitz. He does a fadeaway shot that gets in there for a first down, just finding ways to kind of mix and match against this really good quarterback. And then they get a third and thirteen play in field goal range and Christian Wilkins disarms the right guard completely, swim move right past him, wraps Josh Allen up punches the ball out.
Speaker 1: Makes the play of the.
Speaker 3: Night at that point, and you get a takeaway very late in the third quarter to get the football back up by touchdown, potentially a kill drive opportunity right go put him away right here. I thought that was an awesome chance, and what happens a four play, one yard drive. And this is where I thought the turning point of the game was. In fact, let's go ahead and take our first break right there. I'll come back and tell you about that turning point on the other side. Draft Time Podcast, your host Travis Wingfield, brought to you by Auto Nation. First play of this drive, after the Christian Wilkins strip, sack and recovery, the trifecta, as it were, a sack, strip and recovery, Dolphins go fifteen yards to Tyreek Hill to start that drive, but then they go false start. But then on second and fifteen or first and fifteen rather, Tua throws a shot over the middle, and McDaniel mentions this in his postgame press conference that he thought we had a miss, a drop and just basically a gaggle of errors that caused the offense to bog down in that second half.
Speaker 1: And that was kind of the start up right there.
Speaker 3: And I thought, if they give Tyreek that catch, they overturned it after looking at the replay, and again that ball should have been much higher. He should have ran through that catch and had a first down. But either way, if you catch it for fourteen yards right there, it's second one at midfield. Instead it becomes second and fifteen. Then you get an offensive blindside block like OPI combination foul and alec Ingold that winds up making a second and thirty. Then you have to kind of concede the drive, a run a past Derm Smith, pump the ball away and you're still okay, right, And I even leaned over to Seth when the pump was in the air and said, oh, he's gonna catch this thing. He backs up to the four yard line and Justin Bethel and Cameron Good are down there and we missed the initial tackle and Cam Good takes the block that winds up, you know, making creating injury that would have him leave the game on a cart. And that's when the game turned, because he takes it ninety six yards for a touchdown ties it up at fourteen and even still Miami has a chance to go down and you know, do something offensively to win the game back, right, But it didn't happen that way.
Speaker 1: Let's go ahead and.
Speaker 3: Start here with coach McDaniel, who talked about the pump return touchdown the Bills had for ninety six yards to tie the game up in the fourth quarter.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was. It was unfortunate. It looked like we had an opportunity to pin him back and you know, I'll have to look at the tape again, but we had an opportunity to pin him back and it turned you know, the beginning of the fourth quarter. It Yeah, that was a huge momentum swing that hurt us that, you know, the defense had done such a good job keeping them from scoring points. Points were at a premium at that point in the game, so it was a it was a gut punch for sure. I feel like they're the I feel like we had I would be I don't know the exact player that had a shot at the very beginning of the play, but that was probably our best shot. And then it looked like they they won the the matchup game after that, so big point in the game that we're gonna look closely at.
Speaker 3: I just really thought that was I mean that the Tyreek play man like they just convert that. You probably have two more first downs before you are in field goal range, and you could take a ten point lead into the fourth quarter, and you don't you know, it's they start to drive a twenty five yard lineupposed to a pump returned touchdown because you kick out of the back of the end zone. So such a critical moment. That's how these games go this time of year. You can look at one play and usually point to that and say that that's where things turn. But that's where things kind of you know.
Speaker 1: Could have been put away. That's how I felt this game win.
Speaker 3: So Mimi gets the ball back fourteen to fourteen early fourth quarter, three plays one yard, a negative one yard run, a two yard run, and then third nine a pass breakup on a throw us Hedrick Wilson that looked like it was open, but good play by the defender to get his hand in there and knock that thing down, and then time for the defense to rise up right and it just continued to go the wrong way for the Dolphins the rest of the night. Bill's good down the field eight plays, seventy four yards and it was a.
Speaker 1: They got again. Like we talked about the.
Speaker 3: Edge injuries, losing Vangeinkle, losing Cameron Good, they started throwing these wheel routes on like Melvin Ingram. Like Melvin Ingram is a great player, has had a great career, but if you get Dalton King kid running a wheel route on an outside linebacker like Melvin Ingram, that's a matchup. The offense tries to Foster and you know mel had a great game, but that play, it's a tough spot.
Speaker 1: To be in and he got Bea up the sideline for that big chunk.
Speaker 3: They get another big play to Khalil Shakur on the other side of the field, and then they get a touchdown to Dawson Knox to make it twenty one to fourteen, and once again, offense has a chance to go down and rescue the game, right, Go go put in the end zone, go put in the paint, get us back in a tie game here, and maybe we take this thing into overtime or maybe go win the game at the end.
Speaker 1: But that didn't happen.
Speaker 3: Because you go three plays two yards, punt the ball back away, and we had a drop a third and eight play to Tyreek Hill where two I had him down the middle of the field, hit him in the brad basket, drops it, punt the ball away and the Bills get the football back.
Speaker 1: With six minutes to go.
Speaker 3: And you've seen this movie before, right, we know that this offense can milk the clock out and run you dry. They did it last year in the game up in Buffalo in the second game of the regular season last year, where they had like a ten minute drive that basically put Miami in a position to not get the football back at the end of the game.
Speaker 1: Could a field goal win the game.
Speaker 3: But the defense response They did get a fourth down conversion that you thought ended it, but then they got stops on first and second down, and then they go for a third down throw that puts them at fourth and one once again, and once again the Dolphins get their nose in there and make a big stop and get the ball back to the offense on the right side of the two minute warning with no timeouts, but still you've got time to drive the field, and they get a couple of plays, get a couple of first downs, move it into midfield, and then two a man. We had this throw to Tyreek Hill where they called defensive passinger facet and it got so first down at the plus forty with a minute seventeen to play, I think it was.
Speaker 1: But he dropped the ball and like he was wide open.
Speaker 3: With nothing but green grass, and it very minimum probably has another ten to fifteen twenty maybe thirty yards after that catch and into the end zone, but it's a drop. You get a first down for it, and then the very next play we try to throw it into double coverage to Chase Claypool, who I thought kind of got a little bit wide on that route and kind of rounded it rather than breaking it off. And a bad decision to throw that ball on that spot. Just rough all around man. So let's go ahead and hear from coach McDaniel on the adjustments the Bills defense made in this game to get those critical stops because Miami had just eight rushing yards in the second half and a bunch of drives that went three and out, four and out and ultimately no points scored.
Speaker 2: You know, it didn't necessarily surprise me. They changed, They played a little some more single safety to stop the run, which we were kind of anticipating, and then you know, it was just herky jerky when you have some We had two different penalty we had and then we just had misfires. There was an incompletion that was uh, you know, that was a throw issue. There was a drop there. You know, it seemed like, you know, take a turn each drive we weren't able to you know, really get the momentum of the drive going, you know, which is what happens when you know myself as a play caller, decides to pass anticipating that we have an advantageous look. You think at this point in the season, you have to trust a lot of things, and you know it it didn't work out, so that you know that it goes really to the whole group because you know, I the we were running the ball, well, they they changed their box count and which wasn't It wasn't like they changed defenses. They just called more you know, eight man fronts, and you have to be able to you know, adjust with the defense and make plays in all phases. And we were unable to do that tonight.
Speaker 3: Just brutal man Like I keep thinking about and we did in the post game show as well, thinking about what direction to take the show, what to talk about, and I have so many thoughts about like long term or even like off season thoughts.
Speaker 1: But this is not the time or place to do that because we have.
Speaker 3: Another game next week against the Kansasity Chiefs playoff game. Like let's go end the playoff windrow right, that's on the table for you next week in Kansas City on the table four and the third segment.
Speaker 1: Of this podcast are the five takeaways. What do that really? Quickly?
Speaker 3: Here a couple more sound bites from head coach Mike McDaniel as well. That's next Draft Time podcast, your host Travis Wingfield, brought to you by Auto Nation. Final segment here and I had five takeaways that we're exciting about. Two US third down prowess, about the defensive game plan, the mixing up of coverages and rushes to get Josh Allen off of his spot and turn them over, and all these fun takeaways, but we had to redo those because the game got away in the second half. And the first takeaway is that special teams seems to have these big plays that cost us in these losses, but primarily at this stage of the season, you just can't allow that unit to flip the game the way it does in a ninety six yard punt return in the fourth quarter when you're up by touchdown. Talk about flipping the game. That changes the entire complexion of the game of your approach at that point, like the defense had a great plan, maybe they could have continued that for one more series and gotten the big takeaway or a big three and out and get the ball back to the offense. Maybe they find their rhythm now with a lead, get the running game going like it just is such a critical thing to have happened in a critical spot, and we had it happened last week against the Ravens in a fifteen point game. A big kick return kind of puts the wind all the way out of the sales at that point. We've had, you know, kick returns for touchdowns earlier in the season as well, just special teams airs and a bite in the biggest spot here in this one to tie the game in the fourth court.
Speaker 1: That's my first takeaway.
Speaker 3: My second takeaway was that turning point I kind of harped on already, but the miss from two to Tyreek that really seemed to be the turning point of the game. I thought Tua's throw was way too low and if you threw it up higher, Tyry Kraie catches that with his feet, you know, under him and on the move, and a bigger game comes at very minimum at least make the play.
Speaker 1: We can't have that happen.
Speaker 3: And it goes from second one to second and fifteen and the next series was the three and out. After that the Bills got the pump return on for the touchdown, So turning point in the game, critical moments. Little errors can kind of add up, right, and we had a bunch of penalties offensively as well. So just a tough one, tough pill swallow. Third, takeaway the injuries because we do have another game next week, but now you're we'll see what happens to Van Ginkle. It looks like Cam Good might not be back for you know, till next season, because that was a pretty serious looking injury. But if you're down Van Ginkle, that means your top three edged sack guys, your top three edge run defenders are all going to be out. Manuel Ogbad, Melvin Ingram still up, but I think like you probably have to find some more bodies to play that position because that spot that has just been absolutely you know, devastated going back just six weeks now the Black Friday, we had all these guys. Now they're all down, so hopefully Van Giagle can go, but we'll see what happens with him later in the week. But injuries just critical and killer and brutal for this team. In the month of December. My fourth takeaway the offensive woes in the second half, and the offensive woes that have followed the same script all year long in these big spots, right, I mean, three and out, four and out, three and out, three and out pick to end the game, a drop from your star receiver and a bad throw bay decision from your quarterback. It's just it's been that theme all year long. And like they match the Ravens drive for driving the first half last week and then they fall apart in second half this week. You know, the offense is good in the first half and then falls apart in the second half. You go back to the first Buffalo game, same script as the Baltimore game. Drive up and down the field for a couple of series in the second quarter, and then you can't find any offensive success in the second half of the game. Like it's it's been a theme for this team, and it happened again in the biggest spot here and on one series in the third quarter, you know, three and out, he ran one play in the next series, so you've got four plays in the third quarter, and again that missed from two of the drop from Tyreek. After Buffalo went up twenty one, to fourteen. I just making these critical plays. You were making them all on the first half, those big third downs right, big time third down conversions.
Speaker 1: Then they just stopped.
Speaker 3: And that was again kind of the theme of the year for this team in terms of, you know, eleven and six is a very good record, very good season, but like, man, what could have been?
Speaker 1: What more could have been?
Speaker 3: Because eleven and six, all it got you was the sixth seed in the playoffs and you were you know, the number for the division was one a while back ago when the Titans game, it's clinched. If you get one more Bills loss, it's clinched. But that's not how what happened, and you wind up with the division as a result. Here, so let's go ahead and hear from coach McDaniel on the idea of going one and five against teams of winning records this year.
Speaker 1: Here is the head coach of your Miami Dolphins.
Speaker 2: I don't think it's a funk. I think it's reality. Like the you know said time and time again. I get out in front of narratives because you know that they're going to exist because it's reactionary. So it when if you lose to two good teams down the stretch. You leave yourself vulnerable for people to say that you can't be good teams, which will be the case until you do. So it's you know, I what my opinion on winning football games against you know, records that aren't above five hundred. It's irrelevant that that narrative will occur until you until you do things to change it. So you know, I don't get very mad at it or anything. I just let them know that that's coming. And so when they hear it, they're like, of course, because that's what it will be until you do something about it, all right.
Speaker 3: Fifth takeaway is that you have your wild card schedule out and we already know who we're playing and when we're playing. I'm sure you guys know us by now. But Kansas City at Arrowhead on Saturday night at eight o'clock for a primetime kickoff Tyreek.
Speaker 1: He does make his return.
Speaker 3: To the Arrowhead after the game that was supposed to be at Arrowhead wound up being in Germany this year, so he will make his return back to the Chiefs on a short week. It's going to be nine degrees give or take in Kansas City. The cold front coming across the entire nation, except for South Forward, of course, which won't make fridgid tempers across the nation, but negative or nine degrees rather inkse is the projected forecast against Patrick Mahomes, Andy Reid and the defending Super Bowl champions, who are essentially coming off a bye week because they played almost nobody in their meaningless game against the Chargers today, and you're on a short week, so tough, tough road, tough game coming up, and you gotta find a way to get that victory because ultimately the season can still be a success, right if you get a playoff win and he race a big drought and then you get back to Baltimore, most likely to win that game.
Speaker 1: So that's down the road.
Speaker 3: Let's go ahead and hear from coach on what he expects here this week and rematching a team they saw back in November.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think you know the Kansas City Chiefs play their style of defense. I think they're I think there will be a fair amounts. But things change during the season. Different players come in, there's injuries, there's evolution to what you're doing, so there's it's it's not like it's ever the exact same thing when you play someone in the middle of the season and you play them in the postseason. It's the same starting point, but both teams are going to be, you know, competing to get get a playoff win, so that usually and there's usually some belt and whistles attached to the game plan or to scheme and game plans, so you gotta be ready for a lot.
Speaker 1: That's the podcast, guys, tough one.
Speaker 3: I know we're all hurting tonight after this one, and probably stay off social media if you can for a few days. In the meantime, we'll come back on the film Review podcast on Tuesday, and we'll turn it around on Wednesday and previ be the Chiefs game. So that's all coming your way here on the Drift Time podcast. In the meantime, you all please be sure to subscribe to the podcast on Apple, Spotify, wherever get your podcasts from.
Speaker 1: Go ahead and leave us a rating and leave us a review.
Speaker 3: You can follow me on social at winkfleld NFL, the team at Miami Dolphins. Check out my guys Seth and OJ on the Fish Tank podcast every single Tuesday. Check out the YouTube channel for media Availabilities Dolphins Today and so much more on that show, and last but not least, Miami Dolphins dot Com Until next time. Finn's up, Caroline, Cameron, Daddy, He's coming home.