Speaker 1: Quest Love Supreme is a production of iHeartRadio, Ladies and Gentlemen. Uh, there's another episode of Quest Love Supreme. I am your host Quest Love Quest Loves taking over? How you doing?
Speaker 2: Like like he's got a man at home.
Speaker 1: Doing that would have been a hell of a time to have our theme back.
Speaker 3: I know, we just have to change platforms and you know, getting six people to change links and things.
Speaker 4: It's a process.
Speaker 1: Uh or yeah, just maybe beat right? Next episode? All right? So you got a man like good to know? Anything else?
Speaker 2: He's so good to me?
Speaker 1: Any other? Any other? No, you just got two songs? All right? All right?
Speaker 5: I got more?
Speaker 2: This is that's the same song.
Speaker 5: I know?
Speaker 1: This is Steve. How are you? I got no man? All right, Well, there's there's always tomorrow, bro, unpaid Bill Man, I'm good. Good to see you, Bro. I have to congratulate you on your your work on Broadway. I saw and Juliette. I highly recommend it. It's stellar work.
Speaker 3: As always, this is a good time to say, we're going to be in New York at the end of the months.
Speaker 2: So hold those tickets, Bill, hold those.
Speaker 1: Let's do that. We should figure out a date wherever we can go and we should do that.
Speaker 5: Good.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, great field trip, field trip for the crew. Uh fan Tago, what's.
Speaker 5: That bro, I'm good man, I'm good Man.
Speaker 1: And children sexy lights down there?
Speaker 6: I see yeah, you know, hey, Shante moison Man, I had to make no right even you.
Speaker 2: Know, I'm well well out the candle light. I got more.
Speaker 5: Come on, here we go, here you go.
Speaker 1: So I will say that our illustrious guest today, for the least the for the last three decades, has been blessing us with their angelic. I would assume for octave range the ability to break glass, if you will, getting high up there. I wish I had that gift. Starting with her debut album on MCA, Precious, of course, featured in the classic Loves Taken Over, I love that. Wow. That's saying that all the time, not to mention album after album Love Supreme. You know, a moment's mind exposed in a slew of others. She's also literally worked, I'll say, with every producer like her collaboration list is almost wow. I hope we get a lot of stories out of this, from George Duke to B. B. Wins, to jam and Lewis to Keith Kraut, to Keiper Jones, to Tricky Stewart, Brian Lamren, Rodney Jerkins, Jermaine Upri, Robin Thick, Tim and Bob Philly's own James. I'm gonna call him poisoner because he hates when I at the letter into his name. Junius, Darryl Simmons, Tim, Bob Carvin and Ivan, Fred Hammond, Raphael Sadik, Kwame Bryant, Michael Cox. Of course, even work with boys de men Elle DeBarge. The Iisley Brothers won a grip of awards and plaques, and she's giving us the honor today to recap her career and her story and her journey on our platform, The Winning Quest Love Supreme. Ladies and gentlemen, please welcome to our show. Chante moore, how are you?
Speaker 4: I'm doing great? You name people I forgot I worked with? That's how long? That and crazy?
Speaker 7: That list was the only thing I will say about that is I'm going to start with I have only won one award, and I got it this year, no excuse me, this past year for Christmas, and it was supposed to be in nineteen ninety seven, but my husband Steven found the waiting to ex Hell Soundtrack of the Year award for the American Music Awards. It was the entire album. He gave it to me for Christmas. It's the only award I have.
Speaker 1: You're trying to tell me for twenty five years, this award's been in I A.
Speaker 7: Yes, no one ever gave it to me. No one ever said anything about it. No one ever called me and said, hey, congratulations, you want or get up on stage and do and be nothing.
Speaker 4: Nothing. Ever, he found it and gave it to me.
Speaker 1: Weird do you say that because we have question of Supreme a still waiting for our Webby Award from our first day.
Speaker 4: But anyway, twenty years you need, when you need Stephen Hill, that's what you need.
Speaker 1: Stephen Hill. Does it? Shout out to brother Stephen. Stephen just reminded me that when when his episode was done, that was a very dark day in which the forty fifth president was just getting ushered into office, and it was a very and now here we are. You're here on the day that that same person got indicted and arrested.
Speaker 7: So that's very special, very special moment, full social moment.
Speaker 1: You are all right, So my very first question to you is, well, what the hell is going on? Tweet the sheets at my home playing speaking of Well, first of all, where were you born? I want to know about your childhood. Where's the city in which I was born?
Speaker 4: In San Franci San Francisco, California.
Speaker 7: I have lived in California my whole life, San Francisco, first San Diego, next Sacramento, and then Los Angeles.
Speaker 4: For the last thirty two years or so. I'm only eight years old, So you do the calculation.
Speaker 1: I've not heard you use the term hella yet, so I don't know if I believe that it's the truth.
Speaker 4: Really I am.
Speaker 7: I am a California girl, and I color my roots because I will not accept my age yet, even though my children are all bigger than me, and my son will be twenty on the tenth of April, and my daughter will be twenty seven on the twenty seventh of September.
Speaker 2: Don't tell me how old your daughter is because that will mess me up.
Speaker 4: But I was eight when I had her, So there.
Speaker 7: You go, right, see okay, see see thirty years in the business.
Speaker 4: I was eight, Yes, I was eight. I mean you look at so far you say thank you. I you know what I feel.
Speaker 7: Good, and I'm really happy to not feel the age that the eight keeps telling me.
Speaker 4: I'm going to just keep holding on to what I feel.
Speaker 3: What do you do to keep staying that way? I'm just curious what you do to maintain it.
Speaker 1: Rock said that money was the best solution. What is what is truly the best solution?
Speaker 4: Joy and peace? Love?
Speaker 7: Yeah, because because if you're not at peace, all that stuff just makes you frown and makes I don't care what kind of botox you got, you still be just angry looking. I just feel like the joy of life and loving my children and loving love and loving life, loving music still and being able to still do that for a living is the hugest blessing I've ever the fact that I'm on here. I mean, I know you guys are saying, like, give me my flowers, but I read on Quest Love's podcast, I'm tripping that I'm still I was gonna say, here in America, here in the industry, and I.
Speaker 4: Get to do what I love to do for a living. It is mind blowing. It's mind blowing.
Speaker 7: I still get nervous about it. It's still I feel like, calm myself.
Speaker 4: I'm going it's Okay, everything's good.
Speaker 5: I'm good.
Speaker 3: For some of your fans, though, we feel like this is where you belong and you should always feel like that, like it should be a you know, comfortable place, like I said one of the best voices of our time.
Speaker 7: Yes, I'm still trying to just absorb that and accept it without going And I was like, Okay.
Speaker 1: Another reluctant receiver. Yeah, now I'm not in that position. Great, thank you. Can you tell me what your first musical memory was?
Speaker 4: Ha, you know what.
Speaker 7: I don't remember the song, but I remember the time zone. What I did every day at home was dance and sing to music. I wasn't allowed to listen to anything other than gospel music until I was like twelve or thirteen, when my brother turned eighteen.
Speaker 1: Right then you started sneaking and listening.
Speaker 7: No, my brother turned eighteen and my parents let him listen to music that wasn't gospel in the garage. So I heard Prince for the first time, I heard Minnie Riperton for the first time, and everything else like that had already come before, from the Four Tops to Everybody to Spring everyone Stevie Wonder. I never heard any of these people before. My brother turned Wait weirteen.
Speaker 1: Wait were you in the seventh Day of Venice household?
Speaker 7: No, I was a Christian, but my dad's a preacher evangelist, and my mother was a sing is was She passed on when I was nineteen ninety three, two or three she passed on. So no, we weren't allowed to listen to anything in the house. But I didn't know what I was missing because I was listening to Tremaine Hawkins and Walter Hawkins and Andre Crouch. And the first lady I ever heard to do the high notes was a lady named Riba Rambo.
Speaker 4: So I don't know if you ever heard of the Rambos. Most people have not.
Speaker 1: Who are theos?
Speaker 7: They are old white gospel music singing family. And she sang these notes that I didn't know anybody else did. I only did the high notes because I couldn't sing it full voice.
Speaker 4: Like Tremaine Hawkins.
Speaker 7: So I was just like, well, I can't do it year, so I'll just jump right up to the high one instead. So that's how it happened. I thought something was wrong with my voice, rather than it being a thing.
Speaker 4: That I should be proud of. Okay, wow, So I was dancing around, singing.
Speaker 1: Usually when our guests come on the show. In every strict Christian household, there is at least kind of an exception for Stevie Wonder. So you're saying that even Stevie Wonder was too secular.
Speaker 7: To anything that wasn't talking about Jesus.
Speaker 4: Was not allowed in my house at all. I didn't wear pants till I was seven. Wow, I was in dresses. So don't skin your knees, but go out in that little dress and go play. But don't skin your knees, just go play.
Speaker 1: Were they Baptists or they were.
Speaker 7: Church of God in Christ and then we were non denominational, and then I ended up growing up and being Apostolic.
Speaker 4: Which is pretty much just a strict with like the makeup thing.
Speaker 7: But then they kind of but yeah, so, but I didn't know what I was missing because music surrounded me all the time. My brother's a drummer. My sister is a pianist, She an artist, she writes, she sings. She was who I wanted to be like my mother sang. My father is a pianist. Music surrounded me all the time, and but it was just worship. I didn't know that there were other kinds of music that did other things.
Speaker 1: You mentioned the illustrious Hawkins family. Yeah, of course they're from the Bay Area. Have you ever gotten to see them like in person performing in church in their element?
Speaker 7: It was at Love a live three or four, whichever one was. Don't Wait till the Battle is overshout Now I.
Speaker 4: Was there what they recorded it? Oh yeah, I mean I lived in San Francisco. That was up in Oakland. That was.
Speaker 1: Describe it, Describe it.
Speaker 7: I just remember the songs and being like like the like the sound of.
Speaker 4: Screaming and worship. It's such a beautiful like a ringing in your I don't know I am. I'm a worshiper at heart.
Speaker 7: That that's what I love, like even in my songs, like we can talk about it's all right, but it's all right. It's turned into this thing between me and God. That's that's about him and me that before the sun rises, I love you more than anybody else loves you.
Speaker 4: So what I love is that my foundation is.
Speaker 7: That ring that's found, that that feeling of God's presence in me surrounding me.
Speaker 4: So that's what I know as home. That's home for me.
Speaker 1: In receiving secular music in a trickle down way and sneaking or listen to it or whatever. Who did you well, you mentioned Minnie Riperton. Can I assume that's why you chose Inside My Love for New York Undercover.
Speaker 4: They actually chose it for me.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 4: Everyone wants me to sing Many all the time because.
Speaker 7: They love many and they love the high notes, so that is why they chose that song. But I was happy to do it. What's funny is the only time I remember hearing a song that I felt like I.
Speaker 4: Was sneaking was Don't Do Do Do Do Smokey Robinson.
Speaker 7: I was on my because I used to go to sleep listening to in la Is kb r T. It was just symphony and it was a herd. I'm such an energetic person that my mother found this this this trigger that if you listen to the symphony music, it will help you lay down, like help you just calm yourself. So I would listen to that, but you know, sometimes I would just like scoot over just a little bit. And that song came on, and that was the very first song I ever felt like, like, Okay, who is this baby tonight?
Speaker 4: What you say you felt it.
Speaker 7: I got like, like, I didn't understand what that meant. I was like, I'm not sure why I want to fly away and going your way.
Speaker 4: I don't know why, but I want to cruise.
Speaker 7: That was the first time I had ever felt like the feeling through a music that wasn't about worship. It was about that emotional, sexual kind of thing. And I was like, oh, but I listened to the whole song before I turned it off.
Speaker 1: I didn't What was the first album that you remember freely purchasing without having to look, you know, three hundred and sixty degrees around to see who's in the earshot.
Speaker 4: Purchasing or hearing purchase purchasing.
Speaker 7: Good Lord, I didn't have to purchase it, but it was Prince, it was the for You album.
Speaker 4: It was my brothers, so I didn't have to buy it, and just hearing the a cappella for.
Speaker 1: You at the beginning, how fuck.
Speaker 4: It over whelmed me. It brought me to tears. I remember crying because his voice was so beautiful. The whole entire album, it like it went from dunaa, all of it.
Speaker 7: It just it was a journey that I had never been on before. It was something I had not experienced because he wasn't singing about Jesus, but I felt him in the inside of my heart and it was so angelic.
Speaker 4: That is absolutely correct.
Speaker 7: And then the second was Minnie Ripperton when it was the album when she passed away and it was just her face.
Speaker 1: MANI you mean, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 4: When Here we Go was the song and she had already gone.
Speaker 7: So I remember crying about that too because it was she had already left the earth and I was like, no, this force is gone.
Speaker 4: I did know how to handle that.
Speaker 1: To this day, I don't like listening to Here we Go that much because I remember when w Das announced her death and they played it like that was the first That was the first death, like my mom has explained it to me, and you know, I was like eight years old or whatever, so I still didn't understand the concept of why she felt sad and all that stuff. But you know, yeah, to this day, even though it's a somewhat I mean, it's not a sad song, but I guess, you know, especially with like people Bryson and Roberta singing in the backgrounds like it, it felt very like ominous and spooky somewhat, yeah, so you mentioned siblings. Are your siblings musically inclined as well?
Speaker 4: Or yes? I was the least talented in my family.
Speaker 1: Who you me?
Speaker 7: I was the one that they hushed. My sister sang in the choir and led songs. My dad literally had a group called the Larry Moore Singers.
Speaker 4: His name is Larry Moore.
Speaker 7: My mother was the leader of that group. My brother was the drummer of that group. They did not allow me to sing in any of it.
Speaker 4: Never, They never gave you I guess not. I mean only you know you know what I don't know.
Speaker 7: I didn't record anything until I was nineteen twenty when I got signed to Warner Brothers Records. Actually, Benny Medina signed me to Warner Brothers and then dropped me before knew that It's okay because it was the best demo ever for MCA Records. So that's how I got signed nam J Records. Was my album from Warner Brothers.
Speaker 2: But when did you get the approval from your family that you could sing?
Speaker 4: Not until I was like sixteen.
Speaker 7: This lady asked me to be Dorothy in the Whiz, and I thought she sticked me from my sister. We're three years apart, but we looked alike to people, so they were always like Laton, no chante, No, wait, which one is which?
Speaker 4: Because I'm taller than my sister.
Speaker 7: She's three years older than me, but she's only four or eleven, so they were like, oh, she asked me this lady, miss Brown asked me to be Dorothy and the Whiz. And I was like you, me and my sister Latan, and she was like, no, I know who I'm asking.
Speaker 4: I was like me. So I was never shy. I was always the goofball.
Speaker 7: I was always the comedic relief, always the one who was just willing to do like whatever to make my family happy. So whenever I'd sit around, I was always making faces or singing something goofy. But it was always them who sang, and them who told me. My mom gave me a tape recorder for my birthday, one of them and said go in there in your room and sing into that and so you can hear how bad you sound.
Speaker 4: But I never took it as a negative.
Speaker 7: They didn't say it like oh God, but it was just just go over there.
Speaker 4: And I didn't care.
Speaker 7: I don't know why, but I think that's part of the preparation for being in this industry is having a tough skin on the outside but still staying tender on the inside.
Speaker 1: Are you competitive though, I mean not competitive like, but like I'll show them. Are you driven?
Speaker 4: I am.
Speaker 7: I was in beauty pageants, yeah, as a young woman as well. From thirteen on. I did from like thirteen to seventeen, I did beauty pageants. Actually the first beauty pageant I did. Kiki Shepherd's mother and Von Shepherd and Von Gretchen Shepherd were my teachers of all the like little things and making sure you did this, and this is where that fork is in that war and you walk this way.
Speaker 4: So I modeled before I sang, I'm sorry.
Speaker 2: I just fucked me up real quick. That's why Kiki could like that is.
Speaker 7: Who she That is who she is and who she taught me to be when I'm model there.
Speaker 4: It was in San Diego where I'm Kiki. Yeah.
Speaker 7: So yeah, So I did the whiz And when I was singing in one of.
Speaker 4: The rehearsals back to the original quest, I.
Speaker 7: Was singing home for practice and practicing it with the guy on the keyboard.
Speaker 4: As I was.
Speaker 7: Practicing, and my mom and my sister looked at me and they were like, when did you learn how to sing?
Speaker 4: And I was like, I can do it. It was hot. So I was sixteen when that happened.
Speaker 6: How do you go from there to recording and making the demo for Warner Brothers.
Speaker 7: I had a boyfriend at the time, when I was eighteen that heard me sing and he was like, you have got to sing and I was like, yeah, I'm really not that good.
Speaker 4: He was like, yeah, you are.
Speaker 7: You were like the next went in Houston, and I was like no, no, no, no, because to me, it was she has a different kind of voice than I have. So that's why when people say I can sing, oh, you're one of the best singers of my brain goes to the absolute best to me in my mind, and I don't measure up to that. But what I've learned with this older age thing that I've thought to be me and that's it. That's all I have to be is me, and I don't have to have the range of Patty LaBelle and Chaka Khan. I don't have to have that because Shade is Shada in Shade's lane and she is the best Shade they will ever be and She.
Speaker 4: Doesn't even dance.
Speaker 7: She just does these moves that we go, who oh, yeah, you.
Speaker 4: Know, and it's perfect because she knows who she is. And that is what I'm learning.
Speaker 7: To appreciate about myself is just be who I am. I see other people saying and I'm like.
Speaker 4: Don't even don't don't.
Speaker 7: I literally have to shut my ears and my eyes and just embrace my tone and that I don't have to do a lot of runs to give you my heart through my music, because that's what I want to do, is encourage people and give you my heart through my music so that women and men, everybody knows they're not alone.
Speaker 4: Because my my heart.
Speaker 7: Has been broken, my heart has been left alone. I've been sad, I've been happy, I've been all of these things. And the only thing that separates me from you is this body.
Speaker 4: I'm just like you. I'm the girl next door that you don't think is home, but I'm so home every night until I met Stephen.
Speaker 7: And so that's where I thrive, is just being okay with me.
Speaker 6: With the Warner Brothers thing, you talk about your transition to MCA Records, I want to ask you about Louis Silas junior. He was just someone that you know, we had people on the show that have kind of talked about him, but I just wanted to just talk about him, like what was he like with his influence, how he's a businessman, because he was just really just a giant in the game at that time.
Speaker 7: You know, he was so excited about me, and he made me more excited about me than I was.
Speaker 4: The thing about Louiel is that he was like a bulldog. And to me, the thing.
Speaker 7: That was his ruin is because he was very jerky, very very very jerkly, and so he would like bark at everybody, not at me, but everybody else, like he was like, ah, like he.
Speaker 4: Had such Yeah, he had such a.
Speaker 7: It's that it's that edgy thing, like he didn't know how to bring people in with that sugar and honey instead of the anything.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was just not they call that trauma the kids, they call that trauma.
Speaker 7: It really was to me, his his achilles heel because had he not had if he learned how to deal with people better, people at his office and the people who were in charge of the future of Louell because he had done so much in the industry and he was such a good guy. But in the end, when it was time for him to reap the benefits of being such a genius musically, because he had been so unkind to people, I think or just chopping heads off a little too quickly, or just barking too loudly. I think people didn't reciprocate enough. And he died a very, very sad person because of that.
Speaker 4: It was too soon. It was too soon.
Speaker 1: Was it like cardiac arrest or.
Speaker 7: He had diabetes? I believe it was. And he wasn't taking good care of himself, and you know, I had to always be like, okay, listen you, you know, and tell him to do better at taking care of himself. But he made my heart hurt because all the people he put on. You would think, like when his MCA days were over, that they would have put him on like big time. But I think he kind of didn't keep the relationships like he could have.
Speaker 4: I should have.
Speaker 1: But you talked about your voice, but I want to know what one how did you finally master your whistle tone? And what is the process even now? Like if you're performing on stage, is it is it a daredevil jump every time?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 1: Is it Okay, do I have the voice that am I going to make it? Is it going to hit the because you if you do it, you have to hit the target.
Speaker 2: Spot on about that.
Speaker 1: Are there moments where like like you gotta work your way up, work your way up to it, or get some tea.
Speaker 7: I always have hot water and honey before saying always not tea. Tea is a diuretic and make you have to go to the bathroom and I don't want to be interrupted during that hour hour and a half of time, and tea can also be drying to my throat. So I have hot water and honey with me all of the time.
Speaker 4: It is always a must.
Speaker 7: And you would think it'd be easy for every promoter and person to give the hot water honey.
Speaker 4: I only ask for two things, hot water and honey. That's it.
Speaker 7: That's all I asked were I'm not ask for flowers and a carpet and son that goes this way and the scent of the Guardianias. Even though I love Guardenias, I don't ask for any of it. It's hot water and honey. And one time I ask for a pot hot water honey. Literally, I have a picture of a mama's grandma's pot like a pot at you, sir, you made grips and somebody gave me.
Speaker 4: A pot of I was like, yeah, yeah, y'all, let get it.
Speaker 7: There was a time where I had a bruised vocal cord when I was singing, and I was just I think I was just tired and emotionally tired.
Speaker 4: It was one of the marriages of the.
Speaker 7: People I'm married, and then those other lifetimes and so, but now I don't want if the high girl's going to be there, She's usually there ninety eight percent of the time.
Speaker 4: I learned to have fun.
Speaker 7: With her, and I say her because if she doesn't show up, at least chante will show.
Speaker 4: Up like my regular voice.
Speaker 7: If I'm singing the show, I'm going to be able to sing.
Speaker 4: Love's taking over.
Speaker 7: It's all right before the high notes and all the other songs can come sometimes a high note. If she doesn't show up, I'm like, but you still got me.
Speaker 4: I'm still here. Yeah. My friend calls her Crystal because she's Crystal Clear. That's just my friend that calls her Cristal.
Speaker 1: So you don't Bobby brown it, y'all say it.
Speaker 4: You know, when I do that. Let me tell you, Let me tell you the truth.
Speaker 7: When I do that is I once was aware you are. I make them say you are thumb man world the.
Speaker 4: Same, but I'd never.
Speaker 7: I want them proud to sing ho whoa because that is hard when I go listen to him.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's the hardest part of the song.
Speaker 7: That is the one part of that song that makes me listen to me, the whole part.
Speaker 4: Listen to me girl.
Speaker 3: Because you never when you did it in a studio, you did it too separate times.
Speaker 4: H Can I tell you how many times?
Speaker 2: Jimmy, Oh wow, it was Jimmy and Terry, So yeah, I forgot. Yeah, we already knew.
Speaker 1: That's about twenty right there.
Speaker 4: No, it was days.
Speaker 7: It was months of days.
Speaker 1: Just for it.
Speaker 5: Got a manager for that one song, just for the art work part.
Speaker 7: It was a month, probably about a month that they were like. Jimmy, he was so kind but so matter of fact about it. He was like, all right, so we've done a lot today.
Speaker 4: Uh, you go rest and we'll see you in a week. Rest and we'll see in a week because we get the check. I was like, and you still you don't have it and it's not it's no, no, no, no.
Speaker 2: You can't just cut in and do two separate.
Speaker 7: You have to put the proof and the pudding. You gotta make it, give them what they need to. If they're gonna chop something up, they have to have some meat to chop it up.
Speaker 4: I thankfully they didn't just go, oh, never mind, We'll just do listen to the nigga. You know. They were like, no, you got.
Speaker 7: To Ni and he was like, listen, act like Mariah care is in in the audience. This is the American Music Awards, and you're out there.
Speaker 4: Mariah's there. He was like, naming folks. I was like, you're making me more nervous.
Speaker 1: No, sometimes people rise to the occasion.
Speaker 4: If they if they say, and I was trying.
Speaker 1: I will say that probably that's a sign. That's a really great sign of a producer that cares about you. Because I could, you know, in my mind, I think I just said I would have told her, look, I'll go back to one of those takes and try to make it work, or you know, they just usher you in, usher you out. But the fact that they're willing to go back to it.
Speaker 7: Jimmy and Terry, they are the best of the best besides George Duke.
Speaker 4: Truly, there are a couple.
Speaker 7: Of people like a name underneath them, but George Duke and them for me was when I learned how to record a song, how I learned how to tap into who I am behind the microphone in a booth, imagining what you're going to do live before it came live.
Speaker 1: Talk about working with George, because I'm a fan of George Duke, but probably the era of him that I really like is like a lot of the avant garde stuff he did with Frank Zappa. Yeah, kind of when to a lot of early Duke fans, like when he started making the hits and writing songs that are normal as opposed to all that avant garde stuff he was doing, and you know, we kind of we acknowledged it, and we were proud that he was, like, you know, getting getting paid for his hard work, but for a lot of us, for me at least, like listening to a lot of Frank Zappa, and you know, it's nothing for George to do these like eleventh you know, diminished chords, you know in five four meter you know, like just really crazy avant garde stuff. So but I'm also shocked that as crazy as he was, he was also there's another side to his music where he's very disciplined and whatnot. So what was it like working with him?
Speaker 7: I am so happy that he was the first producer professionally that I was in the studio with. He had a way of making me feel comfortable with myself. I remember, in particular Rochelle Farrell. He was he was producing her first record at the same time, and he made the mistake of playing zel for me. Oh my god, no, I just heard all thee I was like, oh, oh god. And she started hitting the notes that I wasn't comfortable with myself yet doing and hitting and the tricks that she had gone to school to learn that I was only in my bedroom and there with my family going shut up.
Speaker 4: Before that, I didn't know that that you could use them like that. I was like, oh wait, she's doing tricks. And George said something.
Speaker 7: That that really resonates today. He was like, listen there, Rochelle Farrell has her gift and it is her gift.
Speaker 4: Your gift is your gift. You all are two different people, and you have different strainths be you just be you.
Speaker 7: There are things that she doesn't have that you have. There are things that you have that she doesn't have. So it's not a comparison. It's about having a mortgage board of music that comes out and you be you is the most important part of that. And he was like, if you don't tell them, they won't know. If you don't make it happen in this studio, it's not going to translate to the world. And his ability to be that teddy bear to me in the studio is why I was able to relax and actually sing Precious and Loves Taken Over and all of the music that.
Speaker 4: I made that first record and second record as well. He just had a kindness about him that was tangible. It was tangible everywhere he went.
Speaker 6: There is a producer you worked with asal Benfort who did It's all right?
Speaker 5: He also did don't walk away from Jay did what was he like?
Speaker 6: Because we haven't really had people on the show that work what was he like in the studio and collaborate with.
Speaker 4: You know, Vassal and Louiel were super close friends. Okay, So because this is quest Love, I'm going to tell you something that I've never said before allowed to anybody else. If you listen to that song. I hope she don't come after nobody, but that song is even when.
Speaker 5: I cry, I can't back.
Speaker 4: If you hear that song, that's what it's.
Speaker 5: Like, all right, it's all right, okay, gotcha.
Speaker 7: If you listen to it musically, very very close to because Louil said I want to Can't Let Go for Shante. At that time, I wasn't big on listening to the radio and doing all that because I was so busy being in my little world and my little narrow world of creating music. So I'm glad I didn't know Mariah like that yet, but she was rising. I knew vision of love because that was that hit everybody we all fell down with, like, oh my god, who is this woman? But I didn't know Can't Let Go that well. So when the music came on, I didn't try to redo Mariah carey song, which is really good, but I wrote a song from my soul. But that's what that musically came from.
Speaker 4: In VISal is funny and.
Speaker 7: Creative, and loul and him both were just goofballs, and I think that's really part of why I like Louil and I like Vesal as well.
Speaker 4: And I like staved as well, because we are just goofballs.
Speaker 7: I really am okay with the goofy side of myself, and anybody who knows me long and like ten minutes knows I'm a goofball.
Speaker 1: So for our listeners out there that don't know the Rodney Jerkins If I Gave Love story.
Speaker 7: Yeah, well okay. So I did a song with Rodney Jerkins.
Speaker 4: Called If I Gave Love Gave So we did the song, loved it.
Speaker 7: Rodney did warn me, don't mess around, put this song out first.
Speaker 4: Well, considering I'm an artist, I am not.
Speaker 7: In charge of what song comes first. At that point, I don't decide that. When they heard Chante's Got a Man, they're like, oh, Shante's got a Man gotta come first.
Speaker 4: We'll come in back with a song.
Speaker 7: That is unlike you, up tempo, different kind of feeling will come with that. That's the one two punch. Before I got to the two, j Lo had come out with.
Speaker 4: What Have her song if You Had My If You.
Speaker 7: Had My Love and same song, same song, same song.
Speaker 1: They I hear they play a little dryo there at Sony's, But you know, does this happened.
Speaker 2: To you multiple times?
Speaker 7: Just that one time, just that one one good times all takes just that one good time.
Speaker 3: Oh, because I remember special too, so I never know special was the same thing.
Speaker 4: Special is different than precious.
Speaker 7: Special was running was Raphaelsa Dick, So there wasn't anything that was He didn't get that song way what's interesting and beautiful about the song If I gave love was it hurt my heart?
Speaker 4: That was the first thing that wasn't special and interesting.
Speaker 7: But it hurt my heart when it came out, and I was like, you just would have told me. And that's one of the only regrets I have, like two or three that I feel in the industry that I've like mistakes, like things that I feel like, dang, I wish I would have been more bold or fought for it or whatever. I kind of was like when she came out. She's such a machine behind her, being Jlo with Benny and just all of the right the machine she had behind her, and I felt like I couldn't compete with that, so I backed up instead of I wish I would have just been like raw like it.
Speaker 4: Took, took myself on there and just been like, you know what.
Speaker 7: Either way, it's gonna be publicity for my song because it's really the same song. And Puff Daddy came in the studio and told Rodney that he wanted that song, and Rodney said, that's chante song and he said.
Speaker 4: No, I want that song. So Rodney is good at recreating songs of himself, Like if you listen to some of his own songs, he's recreated himself.
Speaker 1: This could have been an usher, yeah, versus what's old boy.
Speaker 5: Like eight song.
Speaker 1: No, it's the same song as you don't know the rep.
Speaker 4: Frequently.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it could have been that, all right.
Speaker 1: So wait, I gotta go back to your beginnings. You're from the Bay Area, you're singing. As far as I know, there's literally no way that you can do anything without having to pass the the kind of stratosphere of of Jay King if you're in the Bay Area in the eighties and nineties, I think it's literally impossible. So did you have anything to do with that organization at the time, Like at the time when Jay King is, you know, working with Tommy and Denny and by I guess degrees Tony Tony Tony and Club Nouveau and time Ax Social Club and all that stuff.
Speaker 7: I was sent by Benny Medina to Sacramento to work with Jay King.
Speaker 4: He was to produce part of my record. He wasn't a producer so much as he was a songwriter.
Speaker 7: But in that time period is when I met Brian Morgan, and that's when he wrote Week about me, which we didn't date, but he had a craft tell the story.
Speaker 1: I want to know. I want to hear your I want to hear your perspective of Week.
Speaker 4: Okay, so to tell the full story, which is interesting.
Speaker 7: Brian and I spoke last week and I told and I reminded him of this story that he had forgotten.
Speaker 4: Actually is I was dating someone and he said, and you and that guy sound like this, and he's like the Circus tune he played that. He said, but when you're by yourself, this is what you sound like. And he said, that's how it happened. He said, that's what you feel like without some smooth ship.
Speaker 1: How is it presented to you? Was it like his voice on a demo or hey, I wrote something for you, like explained, He.
Speaker 7: Wrote the song and sang all the parts because he has a beautiful voice.
Speaker 4: He was in a group called Cachet Duvoir It was he.
Speaker 7: And a girl named Rachella, and they were supposed to come out as a duet and actually Jay King dropped them soon soon I got dropped from from Warner Brothers, but they were dropped first.
Speaker 4: But it was really like the catalyst to press for more.
Speaker 7: But anyway, so Brian can sing great, which is why he's on their album.
Speaker 4: But he played the song and I remembered that moment.
Speaker 7: Because it was like, that's what I feel like. I can be a whole nother person other than.
Speaker 4: The circus that I'm going through right now. I was like, my life, that's like a circus. I'm you right, But the.
Speaker 7: Calmness of those chords and then hearing him sing. But he had a song called uh Wrong, just like five and five don't make nine, You're wrong.
Speaker 4: That was a song you have to be Brian Morgan to play that for you because that's funny. But just like five and five don't make nine, he had a song called wrong.
Speaker 7: But yeah, he had great music. But those times are those are times to learn from. Those are times to draw and you figure out that's when the wheat is sifted and the fine stuff comes out from underneath. I feel like those times happened to make me who I am right now.
Speaker 1: So it wasn't like weirdness like wait, this song's about me or any of those things like me.
Speaker 7: No, I mean, I I knew he liked me because guys blirt and they act like, you know, you know, how fin you are a girl, and they do stuff like that.
Speaker 4: He wasn't like, well, you know, it wasn't like that. It was more he didn't know it, and it wasn't.
Speaker 2: The first time somebody wrote a song or the last time somebody.
Speaker 4: Well I don't know. I don't know if it was the last time or not. I'm not really sure.
Speaker 7: But what I know is that the song was beautiful and I didn't feel a creepiness about him.
Speaker 1: Well, okay, so what I'm asking is, all right, it's ninety two and now every seven songs on R and B radio is playing this intro At any point, are you like, you know the songs about me? Right?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 7: You know why I didn't because we didn't have a relationship, like we weren't dating.
Speaker 4: It wasn't like that's my bull hag.
Speaker 3: It'd be different if you say more so you're amuse like even more so he don't even.
Speaker 2: He don't even know. No, I didn't even it's the inspiration.
Speaker 7: I didn't take it like that until until recently when people are like, oh my gosh, you inspired that song. And I honestly, and that's what this whole time of my life is. I think about, is me embracing myself. I don't I don't know if you if I can explain it right, but it is about me becoming or understanding my value as an entertainer. It's taken thirty years to get there for me to really feel like.
Speaker 4: I'm armed so much worthy.
Speaker 1: You're you can say it, but you're worthy.
Speaker 4: I'm Aquarius. That's us.
Speaker 2: That's what we do.
Speaker 1: Is that it January twenty.
Speaker 2: February seventeen, January twentieth. Oh my gosh, well him too, You.
Speaker 4: Think that's it. I don't know.
Speaker 7: I just thought it was because I was the youngest, and that I just didn't quit that lost.
Speaker 1: I think of the last five years, all of us have comeing to a place where we're truly seeing ourselves now. And you're no exception.
Speaker 4: Like it's bananas.
Speaker 2: That's my first loved boy birthday, and I love that.
Speaker 4: It's Michael Jordan too, it's your first love Michael Jordan.
Speaker 2: No, no, because he don't love me. Let me he could love you. I just wanted to ask.
Speaker 3: You know, it's funny we're talking about all your singing, but people don't really talk about your.
Speaker 2: Song writing, ma'am.
Speaker 3: And I'm interested about that and interested to when it was it instant that you were writing your songs?
Speaker 2: Did it was it gradual? Like you know?
Speaker 7: My journals started when I was twelve. My mom, brother and sister gave me a diary for my birthday when I turned thirteen, and I just began writing. Those writings began to be poetry. That poetry became music eventually. And I've written I think I've had maybe eight nine singles, maybe ten singles. I've written probably eight up those ten singles. I wrote It's all Right, Love's Taken Over and Old School.
Speaker 4: Love, and I've co written so yeah.
Speaker 2: I I mean, nobody who writes Jhonte's got a man, but Jonte.
Speaker 7: Well, with Jim and Terry, you can because they're really good at pulling and helping to navigate and to cultivate who.
Speaker 4: You are as an artist.
Speaker 7: I think that's what makes them so good at production because just like the Janet Jackson story, how she didn't know she was writing songs, but she was just talking about herself and saying, you know what my dad is. You know, he's controlling, and my mother, you know, does that. And then they go okay, so so.
Speaker 4: Cadro what you know and you lose your mind because they're listening to everything.
Speaker 7: And I just saw Jimmy literally night before last and was complimenting how kind he is and how people were saying, oh, they told him that he wasn't going to be able to get this Michael Jackson clearance, and he said and then I met Michael and Michael was like, I heard about your kindness. Jimmy Jam was saying, Michael Jackson heard about his kindness, and then he was like, yes, yes, you could have the sample to that song because of his kindness.
Speaker 4: And it really is something that if you meet well, you all know Jimmy.
Speaker 7: He's amazing, and he he makes you almost forget that he's freaking Jimmy Jam And they're like Jimmy, Jimmy, You're.
Speaker 4: Like, no, you're talk on Jimmy Cham.
Speaker 7: I lose my mind and I turn into a fan every time I'm around them, and they actually co wrote the song.
Speaker 4: I wrote. I walked down the aisle to Stephen, my husband.
Speaker 7: I wrote, I co wrote that song with Jimmy jam and Terry Lewis, and it was a secret. It was the only time I've ever lied to my husband. I told him I was with a friend, one of my girlfriends, and I wasn't. I was like, you can't tell him I'm with you tonight because he no. They were like, Terry was like, just you're just in the studio. I was like, there's no reason I'd be in the studio before our wedding unless I'm writing the wedding song.
Speaker 4: So he didn't know. He thought it was an old song that he'd forgotten.
Speaker 5: Oh he didn't know.
Speaker 7: He didn't know because Jimmy made sure he put the refrains in that sounded for C and D's Janet Sos band.
Speaker 4: You know, he put all that in there, so it sounded familiar. But it wasn't an old song. It was a new one. So it's coming out soon.
Speaker 7: I am literally the squeaky wheel that keeps going and we need to get.
Speaker 4: The song out like immediately. So it's it's a beautiful song at.
Speaker 1: What point did he realize, like, oh wait a minute, beast spoke song like this is custom made for.
Speaker 7: Honestly, Sadly, after the wedding, I wanted to play that song again to slow dance with him.
Speaker 4: On one of our first songs.
Speaker 7: He had a first song to dance to, and I was supposed to pick the second song for us to dance to.
Speaker 4: And he's gonna hate that. I'm saying this South laugh. But he was like, no, no, no, that one song was good. Let's just let's just in the Let's just let the rest of the thing.
Speaker 7: I was like, I was alone, a little bit hurt because I didn't know that he didn't get.
Speaker 4: It, that it was a freshman for him, right.
Speaker 7: He just knew it was a chante song and I was singing it and he was like, I was so busy.
Speaker 4: Looking at you that I wasn't listening as much.
Speaker 1: No, he's he's a nice.
Speaker 2: Did y'all slow dance to it in the living room?
Speaker 4: Finally he listened, y'all was a girl, listen. You don't even want I can't even say, Okay, that's fine, I got it.
Speaker 2: I gotta imagination.
Speaker 4: He's a wonderful person. He really is that?
Speaker 3: He is?
Speaker 1: All Okay, wait, why did you say it? Like Miss Speaky from Muppet Babies.
Speaker 2: I need to naciate all of it, and I'm not.
Speaker 5: I had a vertion about particular song you did.
Speaker 6: It's nice, all right, I'm sorry, satisfy you the duet with Damian Paul. Yes, the original version, you know, Brian Lenrin version. It has Michael Jack He's singing the backs on it.
Speaker 5: Oh, I didn't know that. Yeah, there's a version.
Speaker 6: The original version is Brian singing lead and Mike is doing the hook.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 5: Do you remember anything about that session or recording that?
Speaker 4: That's crazy?
Speaker 7: It sounds familiar now that you say that, But I don't remember that happening. But I I understand why it didn't happen that way, that they would have Michael on it. So I get that part. But I do remember there being a big push on Damien and that song, and I didn't How can I say that I didn't.
Speaker 4: Get why the song was so special?
Speaker 5: Really, I didn't get it.
Speaker 1: I love it.
Speaker 7: I think it's a pretty song, but I didn't understand it to be that, so I didn't get it.
Speaker 5: So there you go, man, Well you sound great.
Speaker 4: On it, well, thank you.
Speaker 7: I love singing background. It's one of my very very favorite things. It's what I love to do. And I tell people all the time, you need background, call me.
Speaker 4: When I was going to quit the business, I was like, I could sing for Janet and Katie Lang.
Speaker 2: Favorite background session, come on.
Speaker 7: On my own, shoot all of them, every single song. I love harmonizing with myself. I love yourself blending and and there's a there's a first tone, and then there's a second one that makes it ring true that it's exact, and then there's a softer tone I use, and then I figure out what frequency is missing, so I do the third tone, and then the fourth one is the base the uh and it's all the same note.
Speaker 4: But it's just an approach to the note, whether it be.
Speaker 7: Only wishious and then holysious, mysious, you know what I.
Speaker 1: Mean, and no softer tune.
Speaker 7: Whatever it is that it is that that it does this, because that's what background should do, is support.
Speaker 4: They should all connect like weaving, like together.
Speaker 2: Never do this.
Speaker 3: But I'm like, y'allant, y'all should do something together. I don't know why I see that in my hand or in my mind it's like something I don't know.
Speaker 6: Yes, I love you, I love your background. They always sound like really lush and warm and full and not straight up.
Speaker 4: And well let's do that. Let's not let that pass.
Speaker 5: Gotcha.
Speaker 1: Okay, So you talked about your influences as far as like uh as you grew up idolizing, But are there any contemporaries that you really respect their game as far as like they're because it's weird. I think vocalists listen to music like as a musician, I listened for other elements, and I would probably say that I'm, you know, committing the ultimate sin that it's almost like the vocalist is the condiment on the on the burger, like I'm so busy listening to all the musical elements. Yeah, but I know that singers. There's some songwriters that just listen to the words and whatnot and how things are phrased, and then singers listen to tone. So who of your contemporaries do you respect?
Speaker 7: There's like people came out of my time or people who are out.
Speaker 4: Now for me.
Speaker 1: That's like on the spot question, like like right now, and you're like, oh god, okay, you know whatever.
Speaker 4: But can you see that I wrote stuff down. I am over thirty five, and I know people.
Speaker 1: Ask slightly fly, you're thirty four.
Speaker 4: Okay and a half. But what I love.
Speaker 7: The first person that came to mind was Shaka because the first time I heard her, I was at my church picnic and I was walking through somebody else's camp and here comes a drink.
Speaker 4: I'm into Hollywood and went in the Hollywood. I was like, what who?
Speaker 7: And I literally sat down on somebody else's blanket, which you're not allowed to do really, but I was like, if I leave this camp, I'm never going to hear the rest of this song. So I sat down and I heard the harmonies that I dreamed of. So Shaka was the first influence from the outside world that I was like, oh my god, wait, I have to know who that person is. And eventually I figured out who that is. I love Bruno Mars because of his showmanship and his ability to sing live and the way it's a complete show. I love him and Anderson Packt the way they have combined forces and brought different worlds together inside of his show, and how they've honored each other's talent with one another's talent Mariah Carey.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 7: I mean, I get why people can why people compare us, But I love Mariah.
Speaker 4: I love the way her head voice.
Speaker 7: And that's the thing. I've never had vocal training, but I want vocal training. And I'm saying it out loud Stevie Nacky that I want vocal training because there's a part of my voice that I absolutely want to train to be able to reach. Like just that Mariah carry things and there's a lot of range of sechings in her full it's called head voice that she has that I really I want to master.
Speaker 1: Sometimes as of lately she's been like and that's a new voice that I'm not used to.
Speaker 7: So no, it's the one when she says, uh, the friendship song, do do do do do?
Speaker 4: When you lonely need a friend? Yeah, you need a friend?
Speaker 7: Or she just ah, well, well she's way up there because.
Speaker 4: I'm probably not in that key. But when she sees that a.
Speaker 2: She go gospel, when she goes to gospel, oh my god.
Speaker 7: Okay, that's that's the that's the place I need to train. Like I am so okay with learning more about my voice than I know already. It's been thirty years, but I still know there's better, there's more. I'm better now than I was in nineteen ninety two. I had a very small, very airy voice when I first came out, and it has like you know, sometimes people's voice, they get lower and deeper and they sound like a man or something like that. But my voice was so high and so airy that now it's deepened and it's it's more rich than her husband. And I've learned how to do more with it than I knew how to do before. So I'm really grateful to be an older person with this voice and with the knowledge that I have of myself.
Speaker 4: So Mariah, I love her.
Speaker 7: Jojah Cat nothing to do with me, different kind of song, but I love her. I love Gibon, I love India Sean beautiful. I love her as a person and as a musician.
Speaker 4: I love her.
Speaker 1: I don't play with my heart.
Speaker 7: There's a new one she has. I don forgot what it's called, but it's sexy. I forgot what it was called. But get her new record. Robert Glasper I want to work with him. I've seen him a couple of times. I love him. Ramah, Well, you know it's funny it would be easy, except I don't meet people until recently. Like there's a lot of people that Stephen says, oh, oh, they would love to work with you.
Speaker 4: I just don't know it because I've been home, so I don't know.
Speaker 2: You never had singing talk with Mariah. You and Mariah never talked boys stuff.
Speaker 7: I've only seen Mariah in passing where I've hugged her and said.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, I'm such a fan, and she was like, I love you too.
Speaker 7: And then we walked past each other. We've not been in a place where we're like sitting and hey, hey, you know that's never It's never happened.
Speaker 1: We should make that happen.
Speaker 4: I love her like, I truly love her. Like people talk about her, they'll be like saying, she, I'm.
Speaker 1: Like, you mentioned Steve Mackie. I believe Steve m So is he then new seth Riggs? Like is he now the go to trainer? God?
Speaker 7: Well, if you know the story as well. I don't think I've ever said this out loud to people. Okay, so I'm saying it out loud. I went to seth Riggs.
Speaker 4: Before my record came out, and he he literally turned me down.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 7: He said, no, you'll never and he actually said you'll never do the Mariah Carey notes.
Speaker 4: And I was like, oh oh sorry. He literally he was like, go to someone else, so I'm sure you can get training.
Speaker 1: Wait is there a history of people just saying like, no, it is no matter of fact to you, and then you're just like, okay, whatever I.
Speaker 7: Am to me one of the words other than love, because I am a lover at heart.
Speaker 4: I am resilient.
Speaker 7: If I was a cusser, I will say resilient as but I'm not a really cuss so I.
Speaker 4: Don't say that.
Speaker 7: But I am extremely resilient. I may fall on my face and scan all this up like bloody, but I'm getting back up. That's just part of my nature is to just like go really, let's see if that's true and do it.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, okay, yeah, because I was about to say.
Speaker 4: Like, I've had some pretty harsh nose.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well okay, speaking of which, like I skip it, but I got it. I have to figure out the whole Warner Brothers situation and how that fell apart.
Speaker 7: Well, you know, I turned the record in and Benny was like, you are more interesting than your record is.
Speaker 1: But isn't he also, like, I think it's his job to make sure that you choose the right material.
Speaker 7: And I don't think happy time.
Speaker 4: Or inclination to do that.
Speaker 2: What else was going on at the same.
Speaker 4: Time, Prince Sign of the Times.
Speaker 7: Karen White, Okay, I'll be sure. Okay, I wasn't quite there, and I'm okay with that, And I think maybe that's from my history as in the More Family. I'm not sure, but I can handle no. I can't handle never, but I can handle no. Not right now.
Speaker 4: Because it's been thirty years.
Speaker 7: No, but it's been. It's miraculous and wonderful at the same time. And I've given up a couple of times and then gone okay, So seriously, what.
Speaker 4: Are you going to do instead of singing? I'm sorry, Chante, what is it?
Speaker 2: What are you going to do? What were you going to do?
Speaker 7: I was gonna go to some Beverly Hills hotel or something and get every night gig or something.
Speaker 4: It was just gonna be singing.
Speaker 2: You was always gonna be a singer from the jump. There was nothing.
Speaker 4: There are voiceovers. I thought before I was going to be a model, but I only drew to five four, so that was over. I don't know, I don't know.
Speaker 3: Guess who I saw today. I cannot remember what project that was for. And literally like one of my favorite Nancy Wilson songs, but like I would have never thought, Chante Moore.
Speaker 4: What's crazy?
Speaker 7: I was on Warner Brothers when I first heard that song, and I thought to myself when I was nineteen twenty when I first heard that song in Warner Brothers. As a matter of fact, I thought, one day I'm going to sing that song. And then when More is More came along and they were asking for me to do a more of a jazz album, I went to George Duke and asked him if he produce it. And Nancy herself heard the song and actually gave me the head.
Speaker 4: Nod on it, and.
Speaker 7: That was one of my favorite things. And I was actually able to sing that song to her at a.
Speaker 4: Tribute to her one day. But yeah, yeah, that's pretty awesome.
Speaker 6: I wanted to ask about Ken Light and you would keep watching it. We all go together, and y'all did that?
Speaker 5: Or was that you know?
Speaker 4: We were together as we saying it.
Speaker 7: Lany Stewart and Tony Haynes and I wrote that song and kissing you would already come out and Little loved Keith Washington and he thought we'd be the new Tammy Terrell and Marvin Gaye and we all did.
Speaker 4: We we asked.
Speaker 7: Him to sing it and thankfully he came and did and we it just it just spit. He has a very masculine voice and I have a very gally.
Speaker 4: Kind of sound, and it just made sense.
Speaker 7: And yeah, that was It was in Chicago with Lady Stewart and Tony Haynes.
Speaker 4: Yeah, where are two?
Speaker 2: Keith Washington Salter just one?
Speaker 7: I Love You was the second one we did on another record, but Shawnie Wilson wrote that song with Somebody, But yeah, that was the other song we did.
Speaker 1: Really, of all the producers you worked with, who would you say is your top five in terms of like nurturing, really caring about the product.
Speaker 4: First? In mind?
Speaker 7: Of course is George Duke second? Only because of timing, because I didn't meet Jimmy and Terry until my third album.
Speaker 4: It was the top three. Yeah, that's it. I was like, wait, it was the third one.
Speaker 7: That was when I first met them and we did Mood together, so I didn't I didn't really know all of all of who they were, and as I met them and as I heard more songs. I love that part of it is that it's an unfolding as I meet.
Speaker 4: As I met the producers, I started going, oh my god, that was you, that was you. Oh my god, dan It, oh my god. Some stuff I didn't know. And it was like it was like a.
Speaker 7: Waterfall deluge of information happening so quickly. But I I they're at the top two. I'm trying to think, who gosh, who pushed me like crazy? I love Simon Law who did Loves taking over with me and we did songs.
Speaker 4: On the second album.
Speaker 7: Actually, Ronnie Jackson, who did a lot of who did produce all of the songs on this independent album I did called Rise of the Phoenix. He's one of my favorite producer writers. I just I think each each writer and producer has their own unique lane. And I think that's part of being a chameleon as an artist, is to be able to conform and do your best in all the circumstances.
Speaker 4: It's like people who are like, well, I.
Speaker 7: Don't sing in the range, or I don't sing when the sons are or I don't sing when it's a cloudy day, and I don't sing when it's I'm like, I'll sing different all the blassing. That's the thing everywhere, and that's what I think it's about. To be a person who lasts through time is being able to morph and and be able to continue to grow a Just grow that, gane it. You haven't arrived given a ride.
Speaker 1: I say that. I say that to singers who still give me the whole air conditioning thing.
Speaker 4: But no, let me say.
Speaker 1: I'll believe it when I hear it.
Speaker 4: No, no, no, no, no no no no, I know.
Speaker 1: I know.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 7: If you turn on the air conditioner, if I start a show and I feel the air conditioner after I started sweating, it's.
Speaker 4: The free on in the air. It isn't if you want me to finish the show, turn off the air. I want to sing for hours.
Speaker 7: I sing as long as you want me to. I sing an hour if you want me to. But if the air comes on, you got about three minutes before she's gone and I can't help it. Damn, Okay, it's the free on. I don't know how people sing under fans period.
Speaker 1: Besides saying Luke, I am your father. He's the most jokes, the worst jokes I've ever told any given episode I want.
Speaker 5: Are you so?
Speaker 6: Reportedly you're on the You're an uncredited guest on Jay Z's Girls Girls Girls Remix?
Speaker 1: Is that true or not?
Speaker 5: The one with Mike Michael Jackson on it?
Speaker 4: Amma, somebody need to pay me. I don't know, Emma, I don't even know.
Speaker 2: She's probably saying some shit inter session, you.
Speaker 4: Know what. Maybe so it could be somebody asked Stephen. He might know better than I. Is that if I am.
Speaker 3: I'm happy to be right, p sked the song I was talking about special, You're right, you had it first, but then Sarah Devine did it next, and it was.
Speaker 4: Oh, I ain't even know.
Speaker 7: I know Sarah Raphaelsa.
Speaker 4: Dek wrote it anyway, so you know he did it. It wasn't then it was him.
Speaker 1: I gotta ask this question.
Speaker 4: Go ahead and ask go ahead.
Speaker 1: So when you're getting the treatment mm hmmm for.
Speaker 3: The contagious video, Okay, yeah, yes, let's Cool's cool?
Speaker 1: Did you even realize, like I'm almost certain, there was a point in your life where you were only referred to by a certain generation as just like, oh, that's mister Biggs's wife, and you know, and I'm certain for a generation that the Isisley brothers were the two guys that's saying contagious and nothing else.
Speaker 2: Yeap, yes, fun.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And plus there was a period. It was a period in the late nineties in which like these gazillion dollar videos were getting made left and right, these epic budgets and whatnot. Yeah, what was that entire process? Like, like who's selling you on the concept and everything?
Speaker 7: Well, the first thing is when you talked about being in the same place at the same time singing, right, R Kelly, ron Eisley and I were never.
Speaker 4: In the same place singing anything. That's first thing.
Speaker 5: Okay.
Speaker 4: R Kelly is a musical genius. He's a lot of other things, but he is a musical genius.
Speaker 7: And so he called and was like, listen, so I want you to sing Greig.
Speaker 1: He piecemealed it.
Speaker 4: He was like, I'm gonna go and then you.
Speaker 6: Go no, no, he give us some drama, non no, none.
Speaker 7: So I'm singing it, but I'm doing it in a studio by myself here in la He's in Chicago. I don't know where Ron Issley was.
Speaker 4: And then when we got the I got the treatment for the video.
Speaker 1: What it happened was, yes, he is.
Speaker 4: Okay, I am in the bed in the video. That's right, I am in the video.
Speaker 7: What's interesting about that is that Robert was yeah, no, Robert, it was very specific about that. We had to be caught.
Speaker 4: In the act. So he was like, we need to practice the kissing part. I was like, no, no, we don't need to practice the kissing. We don't need to practice it.
Speaker 7: So he wanted to practice all the parts that we were going to do, and I was like, no, we're I'm sure we'll kiss just fine. Whenever it happens, it'll be fine. And so many bads I got.
Speaker 3: I just I know, it's okay.
Speaker 5: I know.
Speaker 1: But even then, well I remember more or less at the height of the success and the sort of the just the fast pace of it just becoming beyond just like a hit song or whatever. Yeah, Like I'm certain by that point they were like, we got to do more, we got to do more.
Speaker 7: Like I don't think they well, they didn't come for more. They didn't ask me to do other songs. It was a phenomenon, for sure, But I think the Isley Brothers ran with the mister Big more than it ran with who was the girl?
Speaker 4: Who was mister BIG's girl? And then once r Kelly got in trouble, it was like.
Speaker 7: Oh, I'm not even I'm not even singing that song in that piece in my show because I used to.
Speaker 4: Be like doom doom, doom boom and then it would be going on and.
Speaker 7: So it was really fun to bring that into my show because it was so different. They were like, oh my god, people forget really get that that was me because it didn't necessarily say shante more on it. It was just like, oh, mister Big and our Wait, you have to read the small print to see that it was me.
Speaker 1: So Steve just hit me and said, you got to ask her about tell the story. The Soul Train Awards performance this year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, wow, you got people was happy to see you.
Speaker 7: It's been the catalyst for so much after that that it.
Speaker 4: Has blown my mind. I I beforehand, you know, Stephen is really he's a great supporter.
Speaker 7: He's a he's good at That's what he does for a living is put people on, you know, whether it be you being the host of a show or on the show, or the music or the person singing or the.
Speaker 4: Lighter the lighting guy, whatever it is.
Speaker 7: He is that guy. But I don't think he had anything to do with that show. People like you scooed you married him because you put you on that show.
Speaker 4: Steven loves me for me. So, but that show happened.
Speaker 7: And I'll have to give props to Jesse Collins and Dioncle and Dion she I've.
Speaker 1: Got a last name, Kim soon to be Collins that.
Speaker 7: I believe it's I believe it is common knowledge.
Speaker 1: Yes they did.
Speaker 4: So they asked me to do the show and I and I really I was like, oh, that's so, that's so cool. Who am I tricketing? And they were like you.
Speaker 2: Poor little gerald LeVert.
Speaker 4: No, I was gonna be singing some singing somebody else's. So I'm like doing Tonia doing. What are we doing? And I wasn't saying that.
Speaker 7: I'm like, I'm humble. I just had no idea, and so they were like you and I was like, holy MACARONI. So I'm still the girl who gets nervous before the shows. I'm still the person who has butterflies until I land on stage and then I let them go on the audience. So I wanted to give a show a performance that showed all the different sides of who I am.
Speaker 4: And it was.
Speaker 7: Wonderful to be able to dance a little bit and be calm a little bit and then singing Chanta's Got a Man a little bit, and.
Speaker 4: It was scary.
Speaker 7: But Adam Blackstone, oh my god, the band is amazing.
Speaker 4: Every band he puts together is amazing. Though he is such a great musician that I didn't.
Speaker 7: Sometimes some stuff happens, and I think it's a good thing that I'm naives some stuff because it makes even though I'm nervous, it makes me less nervous.
Speaker 4: When I find out effort, I'm like.
Speaker 7: Oh shoot, they were watching, Oh my god, like it becomes something else. For what I will say about that show that very few people know is that between It's all Right and Chanta's Got a Man the first time I sang it, because I sign me twice, I was supposed to be helped down the stairs. And I was being helped down the stairs. As I stepped down the stairs, and that last stair, the guy was suposed hold my hand and keep my hand until I got on level ground. The gentleman let go on my hand. Either he let go on my hand or I was like either way. On that last step, my heel got caught on the last stair and I literally fell to my knees and I was like, it felt like thirty seconds between hitting my knees and me understanding that that really did.
Speaker 4: That just happen?
Speaker 7: Because this happened to other people I've I've never gone on stage before because anybody there's TV cameras everywhere, there's.
Speaker 4: An audience of thousands of people. This is going to be on YouTube. Literally, my brain was like going and I was like, get off.
Speaker 2: I ain't even hear about that.
Speaker 7: There are people who were there who couldn't see it because of the way the audience set. I didn't even think about it. I was just like get up and finished. Because I'm alive entertainer. I've done very little TV in the last twenty years. Maybe the first ten years was a lot of stuff, but in the last twenty years I haven't been on TV a lot.
Speaker 4: And it's cool. Most of my life I've been performing live.
Speaker 7: People go, oh you still saying, I'm like listen, I think you think I'm playing the bills mama singing. So anyway, I get up, I sing Chante's got a man because Dion knows me.
Speaker 4: Girlfriend came over. She was like, okay, so baby, do you want to rub on my back? Baby?
Speaker 7: Do you want to just sing from from the start? I just wanted to go back from which park Just tell me the part you want. So she's rubbing my back and I'm like, because I'm happy to be here.
Speaker 4: I am just happy to be here. It sounds like an Aquarius god, so I so mean it.
Speaker 1: Dion's like, mom, I love the We actually have to get both of them both, Jesse Collins in love you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that would be dope.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, that would be great.
Speaker 1: They run everything.
Speaker 7: They run the world, girl, the world.
Speaker 4: They're amazing.
Speaker 7: So I got up and I resang, it's all right, and did chants got a man, which is why they have that particular walking down the stair. That's why I'm looking at the dude on each step. If you see me go down watching the dude, I'm like, you ain't dropping my booty giggings.
Speaker 4: That's why I'm stepping on the steps like I'm stepping on the steps. And that's why I didn't look over at Steven.
Speaker 7: That's why I went like that because I was like, I'm not even looking at you because I was so self conscious at that point.
Speaker 4: But I knew, get to the end, get to the end, keep singing. That's the whole point is to be resilient.
Speaker 7: And I think that's what God was trying to tell me in the moment, is that no matter how many times you fall down, it doesn't matter. It's that you get back up again. And that's the story of my life is that I may be down, but I'm never counted out. I never count myself out. I am fifty six years old, and this is.
Speaker 4: Thirty years in this business, and I am blessed in honor to be right where I am on an uptick. The fact that I'm here on your show, the fact that there are.
Speaker 7: Things that are coming that I can't even tell you about yet, that I am so beyond blessed and so beyond thrilled to still be here.
Speaker 4: And I feel like I'm prepared for my future and not like going, oh my god, oh my God, we hope I can do it. I'm like sure about it, even though it makes me nervous.
Speaker 7: I got bats in my stomach rather than butterflies, because it's a whole nother.
Speaker 1: Level of what like nervousness.
Speaker 4: No, for real, people get butterflies. I've even got bats in there. They're like, I'm afraid before every show.
Speaker 7: I say afraid, I'm nervous before every show as soon as I step on the stage and I see each face.
Speaker 4: You talk about.
Speaker 7: Award winning, and I say it all the time, and I meet it with all my soul every time I step on the stage, each face, each person in every seat.
Speaker 4: That paid to see this girl thing, this one. They're my Grammys.
Speaker 7: They are my American Music Awards, they are my honors, they are my whatever you want.
Speaker 4: To call it. I have a million Grammys. If those people that come back and say, hey, you are the reason why I didn't kill myself.
Speaker 7: I listened to Chantez Gotta Man, or Loves Taking Over or It's all Right, and for my mother when she was dying, and it brought her peace. You are the reason why I still am here.
Speaker 4: Those things.
Speaker 7: That's the reason why I get back up and I sing over and over and over the same songs over and over again.
Speaker 4: But I'm putting new music out this year. But that's why I do what I do.
Speaker 3: I'm just glad you ain't stick of them yet because we not so I'm not I'm not finished yet.
Speaker 4: I'm really not finished.
Speaker 7: I'm really I'm not done, and I'm happy to still just be here.
Speaker 4: I really am.
Speaker 1: I'm so happy for your union to one of my favorite music nerds of all time. You know, it couldn't have happened to a better person. I regret. I know there was a period in which I was sort of on the short list to DJ to DJ the wedding, and you know I couldn't do it at the time because I had a few jobs going.
Speaker 2: So I think they did just fine. I think he did just fine.
Speaker 4: We missed your presence there.
Speaker 7: Both of us respected, love you very much, and we're very happy. Both of us respect and love you very much for.
Speaker 1: Just that beautiful, beautiful You know we're big fans of you on the show, and we thank you for coming on and talking.
Speaker 2: To lapping you with these flowers.
Speaker 4: Thank you. I appreciate you.
Speaker 1: Was on mute. You might want to take it off mute and do it again.
Speaker 6: No, I do like a silent clap because it's on zoom, so it's like I don't want to cut cut the audio, all right.
Speaker 1: Well, on behalf of Silent Steve and Hilo, and like, yeah, thank you very much Sean for coming on the show, and thank you guys for listening to Quest Supreme. And we will see you next week on the next go round. All right, y'all see it. Let's Love Supreme is a production of iHeart Radio. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.