Speaker 1: Welcome to good Game with Sarah Spain, where we've never felt so old. We just had to google Rapper Plies after seeing him sit behind the bench at South Carolina's tourney game and see him gift Daunce Dally with this super sick gold chain flies. Have you guys heard Applies? What's next? You're going to tell me nineteen ninety one wasn't twenty years ago. It's Tuesday, March twenty fifth, and on today's show, we'll be talking to sports agent Alison Gaylor about launching her own agency straight out of college, betting on herself, navigating the new look college sports space, and the new scripted show that she's launching with longtime client Chaneo Guma Kay plus a team of divided loyalties. A slice gets us caught up on another type of balls, and it's time to join the scrum. It's all coming up right after this Welcome back Slices. Here's what you need to know today. Let's start with March Madness, where the Sweet sixteen is set. So let's tie a little bit on some of these second round games. Shall We First up Sunday's TCU Louisville matchup The so called Hailey van Lyth revenge game, with the TCU grads suiting up against one of her two former schools, as she spent the first three years of her career playing for the Cardinals and last season playing for LSU. In this one, Van Let's current team, TCU, a two seed, defeated number seven Louisville eighty five seventy worth remembering that TCU went one in seventeen in Big twelve Conference play just two seasons ago, and last year they had to hold open tryouts after forfeiting two games. Now well, now, the Underfrogs, aided by a few big name transfers including Van Lith, are headed to the programme's first ever Sweet sixteen appearance of any gender. Vanlth, a fifth year senior, has never had her season end before the Elite eight meantime. Number one overall seed UCLA is also headed to the Sweet sixteen thanks to an eighty four to sixty seven win over number eight seed Richmond, with Lauren Betts recording thirty points on fourteen of seventeen shooting and adding fourteen rebounds become the first UCLA player with at least thirty points and ten boards in an NCAA tournament game. This was a close one for a while. It was actually tied at thirty six at the half before UCLA pulled away and Richmond's Maggie Dugan did go out fighting after thirty points in the first round. She put up twenty seven points for the Spiders in the loss. On Sunday night, Next up for the Bruins a meeting with number five Mississippi in Region one. The action really heated up last night with the best game of the tournament so far, a double overtime thriller between Maryland and Alabama that saw Brenda Frees and the Terps fall behind by as much as seventeen in the third quarter before they battled back to force overtime and then hung on in the second extra session to win one eleven to one oh eight. Sarah Tibiasu came up huge down the stretch for Maryland, taking advantage of literally any little bit of daylight to drain threes and step back jays, and Sarah Ashley Barker shined in the loss. She put Bama on her back with a school record forty five points, the kind of game that honestly, you don't want to see either team lose. It was a thrill ride and shout out to front of the show and Maryland fan Kalayine Connigan, who is likely barely standing after that one. But the Terps advance where they will face Dawn Staley in South Carolina in the Sweet sixteen, that's going to be a tough one. Rest of the top seeds took care of business pretty handily on Monday. Number two LSU top number six Florida State one oh one seventy one, speaking of big performances and a loss to Nia lats in the nation's top score pretty much all season long. She had thirty in the loss for FSU number one Texas speat number eight Illinois sixty five forty eight, Number three Oklahoma top number six Iowa ninety six sixty two, and number two NC State bested number seven Michigan State eighty three to forty nine. Rest of the games happened later than our recording, so we'll catch you up on the rest of Monday's matchups tomorrow and we'll preview the Sweet sixteen later this week. To the Land of Scrums and Rocks, Women's Elite rugby, the new fifteen A side US based league launched over the weekend. The Boston Vanshie opened up play with the twenty nine twenty seven winner for the New York Exiles, while the Twin Cities Gemini defeated the Chicago Tempest twenty to fifteen. The two other teams in the league, the Denver Onyx and the Bay Breakers, will both hit the field for the first time this coming weekend. The thirty game Weer regular season continues through June fourteenth, followed by playoffs. Fans can watch every game for free on his own. A little more rugby news too, USTR. Alona Mar, who plays club rugby across the Pond, has a podcast launching today called The House of Mar. The show will feature Alona and her sisters Olivia and Adriana. We're sure it's going to be unhinged. Can't wait to listen. We got to take a quick break when we come back. We talked to agent Alison Gaylor joining us now. She's the founder and president of sports and entertainment agency Disrupt the Game, representing top female athletes including current and former Hoopers Cheneogumkay Kelsey Mitchell, Agelani Lisa Leslie, Kiki Eriefen, Anissa morro and soccer star Crystal Done. She's a graduate of Brown University and UCLA Law School, licensed by the California State Bar. We've kicked at Poolside and can and we've chopped it up at the Opera House in Sydney. It's Alison Gaylor. Thanks for joining us, Allison.
Speaker 2: Wow, we've been to several continents together. That's pretty exciting.
Speaker 1: What should we do next? Antarctica?
Speaker 2: We could Shelley's Alice actually went to Antarctica, but that's really story.
Speaker 1: Yes, all right, add it to the list. I want to go back to the beginning, and I don't think we've ever talked about this, but I'm curious about how you got started in the agent game, because I know a lot of kids grow up wanting to be ballplayers, and you did play basketball at Brown. When did the shift happen from dreaming of being maybe a pro baller to dreaming of being a pro agent.
Speaker 2: Well, growing up five eight, white and Jewish and being from LA I didn't have high hopes of my professional career and was reminded at a very young age that I better get to it on academics because my basketball career was only going to go so far, and to be honest, it got more.
Speaker 1: You got one? Come on. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Look, it's an ongoing joke with most of my clients that I have five points to my NCAA Division one record books. But what I like to say is five more than most. That's right anyways. Usually usually Chiney will be like, I scored five in five seconds, but I'm like, okay, cool, that's nice anyways. But yeah, I got lucky. I grew up around the business, so I started interning for the La Sparks when I was seventeen, getting ready to go play it round. And my uncle has been in the business forever. He's a legend. He's Magic Johnson's longtime agent and best friend. And now yeah he's the uvpn CMO the Dodgers. So I'm very lucky that my uncle Lawn helped plug me early and then kind of open the door so I could run through it more or less.
Speaker 1: So I'm curious when you have an uncle, Lon Rose, than you're talking about who's working in the space. Not only do you probably get some cool perks in terms of game tickets, agetting to meet folks like Magic Johnson, but what was about what he was doing that appealed to you, especially as a kid. What did you see in the work he did that was like that looks awesome, really interesting question.
Speaker 2: Honestly, Sarah, no one's ever asked me that, which is fascinating. I think so because he was my uncle, right, he wasn't my parent. I got like enough access where I was like, oh, I don't want like anything but this, like it's VIP or nothing from the rest of my life. But at the same time, I didn't get handed everything because obviously, you know, his kids would come first, as it should, like I was his niece and I got I got lucky that he took me in, you know, and helped help me a ton, but I still kind of itched for more, I think to a certain degree. And my parents are amazing and my stepdad is an entrepreneur. My mom was a longtime civil litigator. Like you know, they're amazing, but they weren't necessarily in the business of sports, and so I think for me. When I started interning at seventeen, I was a senior in high school and excited to go play, like I you know, I was very focused on basketball at that point and my playing career, but I hadn't ever been around the WNBA. I hadn't really seen the product. I hadn't been around you know, I got lucky. I was I was around practice, I was around games. I was around the players, I was around the GM, I was around the owners. I had I had access, and I realized that my I guess, my brain and my personality would be a really good fit for working in the business of sports. From that point on, it wasn't necessarily watching my uncle's career. It was more well, first of all, as a kid, he's pretty tall, He's like six', three SO i couldn't understand why he wasn't a player like he since me as a. Kid and THEN i, realized, like, okay he has a different, role but he still gets to live in the. Space AND i loved.
Speaker 1: Basketball, YEAH i mean just being around sports when it's something that you, love one thing THAT i find interesting and If i'm being completely honest and revealing a dark piece of my, SOUL i tried to get into pr WHEN i wanted to do like acting in comedy and. STUFF i thought, like, Oh i'll be near it and it's not as hard of a. Path AND i found it really hard to spend my time working on other people's. Dreams AND i think that's a very very specific skill set for an, agent is to be able to take a backseat to somebody else getting all the. Shine is that natural for you BECAUSE i love a. Spotlight It's i'm good at putting it on other people. Too BUT i don't know IF i could always be in the.
Speaker 2: Background, Yeah i'm Probably i'm probably too good at at putting my clients, first probably to a, fault, honestly to my own detriment at some, level because because of starting my own company and being on my OWN i should have done a better job kind of putting me front and. Center but even like being on this, podcast you, know you AND i have a great rapport and you know you've been proactive and reaching, out And i'm not good at putting myself out. THERE i. Should so maybe this is the start of a new era Of alison getting out there and.
Speaker 1: The good game bomb out.
Speaker 2: There, yeah, yeah, Exactly i'll give you all the. Credit but, YEAH i JUST i Think i've always been of the, mindset if you, know IF i put my clients first AND i do what they, need you, KNOW i do what needs to get done for, them Then i'll get WHERE i need to, go, Right like it's a natural. Byproduct if they, win you, KNOW i. Win and at some point IF i ever want a, linelight you know some limelight cool like, this even you Know chene AND i partner up on the, show like Ultimately china will get the. LIMELIGHT i mean that is the way we designed it that you, know we're partners in the company that we, started the production company and. Victorious But i'm always going to put my clients. First it's.
Speaker 1: Working my agent's not even on social. Media he's shady as. Hell he like, you he would you never see him on an, interview like how do you do? THAT i couldn't do. That you started shady as? Hell, well not just in the sense that he like he's he's always, there he sees it. All BUT i don't know from where he's viewing, It like what account are you looking at this? From if you're not on anything, anywhere we can't can't be found very Stakle.
Speaker 2: Well not since digress on that, point BUT i think agents are at an interesting juxtaposition in the business sports right, now where you have some very high profile agents that have put themselves out, there and then you still have some that are kind of in the shadows and purveying from a, distance like your agent is what it sounds. Like BUT i try to hit the middle ground where Like i'm visible but not visible to the. Detrina you, know, ultimately slients have to come, first.
Speaker 1: Exactly, yeah you started your own agency a year out of. College why did you want to start your own shop and not join an existing? Agency get your feet wet for a while before you spun.
Speaker 2: Out i'm going to try to say this in a way that doesn't make me sound Like i'm feeling.
Speaker 1: Myself BUT i, MEAN i just literally SAID i could never do a job WHERE i just helped other people get the. Spotlight so, space this is the honest.
Speaker 2: Space safe space in front of. Everybody but that's. Fine SO i interned a lot through, school AND i was very naive and fullish and believed THAT i could figure things, out you, know along the. Way basically the best way to learn is child by, fire as long as you do your preparation and your research and you asked the right. Questions AND i felt pretty confident THAT i could do. THAT i definitely originally THOUGHT i was going to work at THE nba in their associate. Program that was my original. Thought i'll go do, That i'll work a little bit on THE, wnba and Then i'll start my. Agency and then the lockout. Happened this is. UH i graduated in twenty, eleven and SO i actually wrote a thesis about the potential for a lockout happening Because i'm nerdy like. That and then it. Happened and SO i think the social program like wasn't hiring or whatever it. Was AND i went to work for one other company for ten. Months it was like a subsidiary of this guy Named Jim plata and his, investments and he's a partnerwner of the Bust At celtics and Bought. Acerooma, anyway, BASICALLY i could have either gone to work at a bigger company or started my own. Thing AND i chose to start my own, thing bet on, myself BECAUSE i was, young AND i had a lot of relationships And i'm you, Know i'm good in a room And i'm good around. People AND i was basically told like they're either going to steal your clients or eat you. Alive so if you want to do it, yourself do it. Now do it when you're, young and you, know you can always fall back and go work for a bigger, agency but you might as well might as well. Try and If i'm gonna bet on, anyone it's it's gonna. Be. YEAH i love, that BUT i also HAD i had a backstop, too of you, know my parents helped pay for my life AS i was putting money into my, business which most people don't.
Speaker 1: Have, YEAH i love. That you admit. That it's so important because so many people listen to folks stories of getting started and they leave, out conveniently some of the things that allow that to. Happen how did you get your first?
Speaker 2: Client, so my first client was a woman Named sammy Pra hallis and She ohio. State was That ohio, state, yep, see you, know you know all the. Things she actually had a tattoo on her index finger that SAID sajj dot dot dot that she used to put to the crowd and.
Speaker 1: Ro that is absolutely.
Speaker 2: Sick she shoot badass for. Sure so SHE i met through two of my really close friends At brown that played on the men's team were close To Evan, turner And Evan turner was Dating. Sammy So evan AND i are. COOL i Met sammy at like his draft. Party we became, friends and then she kind of quickly, realized, oh Like alison knows THE, wnba she knows a lot of these, gms LIKE i trust to you, know kind of asked, me would you be my? Agent and then. Yeah and then at my first, JOB i basically took my first job AND i told my boss, like, Hey i'm going to work here for ten months and Then i'm going to start my own. Agency this Is june of twenty. ELEVEN i literally just, graduated AND i told, Him i'm going to work here for ten months and Then i'm going to go start my own agency in women's basketball with this like one player That i'm going to, represent who's going to be a top six overall. Pick she ended up being the six overall. Pick and he literally THOUGHT i WASNTS i, mean most people THOUGHT i was. Nuts this is this is thirteen years, ago when women's basketball was not a hot commodity at.
Speaker 1: All what did you learn in the early. Years because to your point about getting help from your, PARENTS i also love when people actually admit to. Failures if people are hearing about successful folks and think it's been an, easy breezy. Ride then when they have, failures they're, like, Oh i'm not cut out for. This SO i, wonder if you made a mistake on a contract or you lost a potential client due to, something what's something you learned having to learn on the?
Speaker 2: Fly knock on. Wood SO i did go to law school along the, way and that. Important i've never never messed up on a. CONTRACT i will ask any of my clients, Like i've never never done a bad, deal never made a mistake on their behalf that would cost, them you, know a. Dollar thank. God i'm maniacal when it comes to. Contracts but my biggest early failure besides like not you, know playing basketball through four years At brown and quitting after a, year which was not that has nothing to do with the show up the, game BUT i think that definitely did a lot to fuel me to, success you, know in the world of basketball, postgrad BECAUSE i didn't have it on the. Court and it's still it's still one of my biggest. FAILURES i, mean to be, fair we were two and twenty. Six we're, trash and so it was easy to walk, AWAY i guess in that, respect but sort of. Easy my first failure was my first. Client sammy fired me before the end of that first, season her risky, season and and that was a really tough, blow But i'm better for, it and it's probably the best thing that could have happened to, me is experiencing that type OF i GUESS i. WAS i JUST i thought we, were you, know because we were so close AND i started this, thing and like it just, yeah like other agents kind of started poking around LIKE i. WAS i was twenty two and had never been you, Know i've never been a top player in THE. WNBA i wasn't a top player in. College like people were, like who the fuck is? It you, know basically, like, oh she only knows, things because one agent went and ran his mouth THAT i only knew things because my cousin was in the, Business like you, idiot at least get the family, number. Right but, basically When sammy fired, me that was that was a tough blow for. Sure BUT i had already Signed Lisa leslie at that, point AND i was, like you know, What i'm gonna put my head down And i'm gonna take this out even if, yeah you, Know lisa gave a lot to my name at a very early age and trusted in me when she didn't have. To that's for.
Speaker 1: Sure it's easy to get in a young person's ear about oh you picked. Wrong you need someone with more, experience you need SOMEONE i don't almost blame her at all for getting scared and going and running to something that seemed more stable and more like long, lasting or something that had more of proof of. Concept but what's great About lisa she had been around for a long time and gave you that credibility by joining you and believing that you could do something something. SPECIAL i know every day is, different but just for the listener who maybe don't understand where lawyer versus agent versus manager and can you just tell us a big picture what you do as an agent for these top level athletes and.
Speaker 2: Broadcasters, sure so we do everything pretty. Much it's three. Sixty it's everything from playing contract to nil stuff which is all like marketing to you, know from endorsements to speaking engagements to broadcast. Work you, know we represent Obviously Lisa leslie and Then Gheneg, womckay who are both both. Broadcasters so it really spans the. Gamut but that that's, purposeful, Right so if we sign a kid in high, school to a, kid you, know to a player that's about to retire and go into their second, career we really can and what what offerings are to best help them navigate where they're at in their. Career and SO i would say we're new to the high school, game which is a little bit, different but we have gotten pretty pretty active in college and you, know figuring out THE nil space and then helping players navigate THE nil space to the you KNOW wnba space and THEN wnba to kind of post. Career what does that look.
Speaker 1: Like about how many athletes you have right?
Speaker 2: NOW i think it's, sixteen about to be.
Speaker 1: SEVENTEEN i want to break any news right, now OR i need to get a contract side. First but, COOL i get, THAT i get. That how big is the disrupt The game?
Speaker 2: Team that's pretty. Small we are very small and, nimble but WE i would argue that relative to the bigger, agencies we have just as much time and resources and. Production it's just we're a smaller team with a smaller client, list and so we can give more of ourselves to those. Clients probably to a fault.
Speaker 1: Back To jackie.
Speaker 2: Exactly, yeah it all comes full. Circle So Jackie, jamalis who was a longtime client and played THE wnba in overseas for over a. Decade she started working At disrupted The game a couple of years ago and is just as a star and obviously you, know having been a former. Player she's also been an assistant coach in THE wnba for The New York. Liberty there's nobody that has the like, coach player and now agent that doesn't. Exist so her perspective is, super super rare and amazing and you'd love her when you guys, MEET i can't. Wait and then we have a small support staff otherwise like, logistics, accounting other.
Speaker 1: Stuff as an, Agent i'm sure you have felt acutely aware of the shift of the whole business of women's sports in the year since you got started back in twenty. Twelve where do you feel it? Most where is it Most Noticeablehere you're, like, wow this almost feels like a different business WHEN i, started.
Speaker 2: Literally right. NOW i MEAN i couldn't couldn't have. Predicted first of, all Like chane AND i is selling a scripted show based on our lives that hopefully will become what impact rage has. Had or you, Know jerry McGuire or. Whatever like there's never been a female version of. That And i'm not trying to inflate myself important in search, aise but like it's just it's never been done. Before but like that same, week we're closing a couple of partnerships For Anissa morrow And kikiriri often as they transition into you, know out of college into the W nba in the next, month THAT i could have never never saw. Coming it's it's an extraordinary time for these, women and you, know as a byproduct for us as. Well IT'S i could give you a list of the brands that we're working with right, now like literally in this, moment current active campaigns that our clients are, doing and it's it's. Unbelievable brands are showing up and and, Yeah i'm very fortunate to be Where i'm at right.
Speaker 1: Now is the biggest shift in the amount of? Sponsors is it the salaries you're? Negotiating is it resources and support that comes as a part of CBA's like is it just all of? Them everything is shifted dramatically.
Speaker 2: All of the. ABOVE i would, Say, also just we have seven N al clients right now and players are focused on playing In March, Madness, right we just tried to close every brand partner deal like if you will get Like niece Or Matty booker's social like you'll See kava or LIKE cvs or you, Know key's done a bunch of different. Things but like we had, to you, know kind of lock those before so that they could focus on the tournament and just get everything done. Beforehand at the same, time for the players that aren't seniors going to play in THE, wnba the transfer portal opens tomorrow and so there's all this pressure and people circling around these players of do you want to stay at your? School how much are you gonna get? Paid are you going to? Transfer are you going to? Transfer thinking that you might go back to your. School but just as a, negotiation it's all it's business at this point and a. Lot, yeah it's it's a lot at, once for.
Speaker 1: Sure so that's an incredible thing to be dealing, with just in the college side of, things which feels so professional in so many. Ways so, yeah that shift is huge for. Agents i'm kind of curious AND i want to get back to some other stuff around, sponsorships but you got me thinking about how do you keep up WITH cba, changes major shifts in college and how they, operate team dynamics or rumors or news about a team that might mean an opportunity or a slot is opening up the, News, like how do you keep up with all that so that you can negotiate for, clients because as, media it's hard for us to keep up with the way that everything is. Changing you have to be ahead of the game and know the things that aren't even out.
Speaker 2: Yet SO i used to THINK i was like a bit overqualified based on my academic. PEDIGREE i would, say you are, also and it's a part of what separates you and makes people want to listen to, you because you are so smart and went to AN Ivy week. School And i'm not saying like anyone with AN Ivy week degree else. More, yeah, yes but, well but the people that have have the academic SciTE and can and kind of figure stuff out with their, brain but also have the personality to figure out the relationship. Side AND i THINK i would Say i'm pretty good at. That you're really good at, That like there's not a lot of people that have. Both but that helps me stay ahead of the curve for. Sure right, now and like, NO i Mean i'm very confident about WHAT i do and HOW i do. It, yeah and every day just everything's changing really. Fast but as long AS i would, say law school help with that, too of just my ability to analyze and also skim things LIKE i can't read everything all the, Time but as long AS i know what's happening and where it's going and how HOW i advocate for my clients accordingly and make sure to your, point Like i'm ahead of things and not behind, them that's ALL i can. DO i, MEAN i can't be perfect all the, time but we, try AND i think it's an. INEVITABILITY i stayed out of THE nil space Until jackie AND i got after it last year, recruiting just in part to see how it was going to pan out and what the market was looking. Like was it? Sustainable are these brands going to keep spending year over year or is it just a drop in the bucket and a flash in the pan and then it's going to? Disappear and it. Is it is, sustainable and it's it's amazing what these you, know the opportunities are in front of these players right, now because there's a ton of brand dollars that are that are out into the. Ether with that, said there's a lot on their, plate like they have a lot of.
Speaker 1: Pressure you talked about the, relationships the ability to connect with. People in, part that's just folks around that will inform you in. Advance, hey just to heads, up this is coming down the. Pike this is probably an affect your, clients Or, HEY i don't know if you've heard about, this but this team said, this who said, this which is a huge part of being an, agent is sort of THE i scratch your, back you scratch mind kind of situation of like we'll give you information if you tell us, this or can you help out with this client if you, do you like that part of the business or is that hard for you to do the Whole let me take a meeting with someone that sucks and play.
Speaker 2: Nice that's definitely not my biggest strength Because i'm a straight shooter And i'm very, honest probably to a. FAULT i don't like all the, bullshit that's for. Sure with that, said it's an INEVITABILITY i have to deal with every. Day so SOME i, mean look in the w, space like it's too small for people to really be like assholes all the time and completely screw each other. Over AND i don't you, KNOW i don't really go after other people's clients like they don't really come after. MINE a part of WHAT i do have trouble with every day is how MUCH i could throw in my phone and actually do meaningful work as opposed to being on my phone and being accessible to clients and to people you know that we're working with and partners and all those, things and then the information you, know sharing of talking to, gms talking to head coaches and women's college. Basketball, YEAH i can't be everywhere all the, time but we try to keep our pulse on. Everything AND i do think the benefit of being a smaller agency in part is because there's one person talking to on behalf of our clients or. Two as it relates To jackie and, me you don't have like there's not a marketing person who doesn't talk to our clients or to you, know like it's just right we move quick because we were in locks up with our.
Speaker 1: Clients it's just fascinating to me how behind the scenes so much happens that people are unaware. Of and sometimes it feels like these tentacles exist publicly that people don't know are part of the machine behind the. Scenes when a reporter breaks something about someone that's particularly, positive sometimes that says a thank you for something that that agent did for them in relation to some other breaking story that they, wanted and all of that ecosystem is kind of fascinating to think about from the. Outside you, KNOW i want to ask back to. Sponsorships for such a long, time the sponsorship game that did exist for the women's game was the hot ones, right sex. Sells the women with sex appeals seem to get the biggest, endorsements regardless sometimes of how their on field performance might have spoken to their talent or the size of their. Brand it feels like that's. Changing we're getting a wider variety of brands and sponsors in the. Space we're getting more multi dimensional idea of what these women are, masculine, feminine, villain you, know, funny, silly et. Cetera what have you seen behind the. Scenes are there some brands that are still pitching things and you want to tell, them, hey it's twenty twenty, five, like that's not how we're doing this.
Speaker 2: Anymore our, clientele we've never gone after The instagram following that, like isn't necessarily going to translate into THE. Wnba that's not my bag at all and not not super interesting for, us to be completely. Honest SO i don't know how that's going to. Evolve because a lot of players that do have a huge social media following in college but don't necessarily pan out in THE. Wnba you, know there's a dip in their business for, sure and they have to figure it out and roll into new. THINGS i think that. There as much AS i wish that there was more of a meritocracy in who gets brand deals and, endorsements it's not always a. MERITOCRACY i think the better you, play, obviously the higher the probability that you're going to get. Endorsements but it doesn't always work like. That it's doesn't just happen in. PARALLEL i WISH i wish it. DID i, mean, obviously social media following is a is a quantitative and qualitative way to ascertain following and impact and influence and all those. Things and some of my clients are not big social media. Girlies they're just not like they'd rather do what they do on the, court and they still have to fulfill the brand, stuff but they're not necessarily thinking every day like how DO i build my, following how DO i build my. Base hopefully the game will take care of, itself especially in big moments Like March madness in THE. Wna it's still not there yet in terms of you play really well and then you get. Opportunity And i'll also put an onus on us and on agents in, general like if you're not reaching, out brands will go. Elsewhere they kind of go to whoever they talk to.
Speaker 1: First and personality matters, too even on the men's. Side it's not just about sex. Cells there are some great men's players that just aren't great pitch people or don't have a really interesting and charismatic appeal to. Them and it certainly was more lopsided on the women's. Side it is getting, better. Thankfully and the nice thing about some social media is it is about some player's personality and not always just about whether they're the. Hottest it's sometimes about being funny or relatable or something, else and that is opening up a few more. OPPORTUNITIES i, think what's the next big change that will help women's sports take another step? Forward what's still getting in the way or what do you wish more brands or networks or investors knew that would help take a next big.
Speaker 2: Step this NEW cpa in THE wnba is going to be a huge change in a lot of ways if if we can get it where we need to, go we MEANING i mean ultimately Obviously i'm on the side of the players in the union and the rest of, agents BUT i think that there's such a where it's such like a pinnacle of, momentum and if we do a couple of the kind of right things to help keep building that, momentum the sky is literally the limit because the, MOMENTUM i, mean it's going to KEEP i Think chaney says on air all the, time like it's not a moment it's. Momentum you, Know it's, true it's it's it's been. BUILDING i would say it was building in the Last march madness last two years probably in these matchups and the personalities and the rivalries and all the. Things and then you take that right into like The Vegas New York, liberty you, know rivalry that's now a. Thing, WELL i guess they played In minnesota last. Year but, anyway, basically just like these these super teams in THE. Wa all these worlds have been colliding for a while that that are building up into this, Moment and if we get THE cba, RIGHT i think it's going to be LIKE i hate to, say like, cataclysmic but it's it's the. TRUTH i. THINK i think from like a salary, perspective from how how players, operate, perspective from a brand, perspective like if we get the salaries, right everything's going to go up because the cost to get these players to do things off the court is ultimately going to go up as the salaries go, up because the players aren't going to be as dependent for their income on you, know on these. ENDORSEMENTS i mean right now for most, agents or at least for my, business like most most of our business is. Endorsements that drives most of, what you, know what these players. Make and so between between salaries going up in THE wnda with this NEW cba and then you have this red share that's about to hit in women's college basketball and THE nil, space like it's it's, amazing what's happening right?
Speaker 1: Now, YEAH nwsl just renegotiated and updated THEIR. Cba we haven't seen it, yet have you seen.
Speaker 2: It you're an, AGENT i probably should have seen it by, Now But crystal's my only soccer client right now and.
Speaker 1: She's A, pesg SO i, guess, yeah you no longer need To you no longer need to. Know although you Know crystal going TO, psg it was part of a lot of, movement and that happens when the draft goes away in THE, nwsl when there's more international movement between. Leagues crystal was in the first of a three year deal it got. Them she just played one season. There we all expected her to be there for the length of that. Contract what can you tell us about what happened there and why she ended up moving TO psg mid.
Speaker 2: Contract, yeah when she signed that, contract we definitely wanted her to be At gotham for you, know the entirety year of. Contract that's why we wanted it to be a three year, deal and so did you Know. Gotham, unfortunately things don't always go to. PLAN i think for both. Sides it just didn't work out the way that we had all envisioned it to, be and you, know Ultimately crystal needed to be in another. Environment we did the best we could with the timing we had to figure it out and make sure that that she was going to be in a good environment for you, know for her and ultimately for you, know For gotham also to kind of move on without her and no hard, feelings none of. That it just it didn't fit the way we wanted it. To, yeah and, like, Look New york's home For, Crystal like we we did want it to, work but it's, sports and, yeah there's always a lot of factors that go into, happy successful partnership between a club and a, player and unfortunately that wasn't one that panned.
Speaker 1: Out, yeah it's nice to have A french, husband so her other home can be, Uh, paris which is. Decent, yes you, Know crystal obviously a, legend a veteran who is so, established and then you're working with up and comers like we talked about Usc Hooper keeek at your. Event she's just learning the. Space she's just starting to think about all the things that you're talking about with the business of. It how does your relationship change and how did their needs? Shift because it feels like you And cheney are like almost. Sisters you came up together figuring it, Out you've been working together for a dozen years or, whatever and then you've got someone Like kiki that maybe you feel a little bit more like a like a mom or an, aunt or like you got to take care of.
Speaker 2: Them so it's, interesting, Right lisa AND i started working together AND i was twenty, two so that dynamic already was, Like, Okay i'm your, agent but also sometimes you can like kind of mom me in certain, ways and like that was an interesting back and, forth and it still is. Interesting Obviously i'm thirty five, now but we still have a funny dynamic that. Way as you mentioned with Like cheney Or Elizabeth williams or other age. Mates let's say that we did come up together and we're like very close in, age like two or three years. Apart that's, different for, Sure and that's definitely the norm of WHAT i was used to BECAUSE i was mostly recruiting players through my twenties and now evolving into my, thirties and all of a, sudden kids are. Younger they're not the same generation THAT i. AM i don't understand some of the things they. SAY i have to google it OR i have to look it. UP i have to look it up on, TikTok because like you can't just google like google stuff, anymore and SO i Guess I've i've definitely had to evolve with the. Times and as much AS i used to be like the, young you, know kind of trying to hustle and figure it, out Now i'm a little bit more like established and to your, point more like mom Or auntie, vibes but like or like cool older sister vibes.
Speaker 1: Too, okay, yeah that feels better for. YOU i think. Cool i'm more fanancy at this. Point you're a coo older.
Speaker 2: Sister probably we're pretty close in.
Speaker 1: Age but that is so, NICE i, know but thank.
Speaker 2: You Now i'm literally asking some of my, Players LIKE i went to dinner With Avery, howell who's a freshman AT usc the other. NIGHT i was, Like, avery how old are? You just like? EIGHTEEN i was, like, WOW i Hope i'm not like bugging you at this, point and Like i'm decently.
Speaker 1: Cool because it's impossible to. Tell there's really no way to. Tell the only way to do it is to just try to not try to be, cool because that's more annoying than just existing and not being. Cool like the tryhard is the worst.
Speaker 2: Part, LOOK i have a broken toe right, now And i've been scooting around, literally and so that's been hilarious for all my younger, Clients like Even Maddy booker like noticed THAT i cut my feet off in a picture and like commented, about you, know LIKE i just. Look part of my job is being able to relate to people and ultimately be able to advocate for, them no matter if they're sixteen or you, know fifty, Plus like it is what it, is AND i Think i'm decently good at, that And jackie on my team is great at that, too just like we can connect with.
Speaker 1: ANYBODY i want to talk About kiky's part of the second season Of Full Court PRESS espn doc that's going behind the scenes with three college basketball players as they navigate the season last year with such a fun watch exciting batch this. Year how much pitching are you doing to get your player featured and how much are they seeking players out for stuff like?
Speaker 2: That So, HM i don't want to take credit at, all BUT i think relationships matter for opportunities like, that especially when there's let's say five players in women's college basketball THAT i think every network in every brand tries to go. To, First let's say maybe four and none of my clients are necessarily in that first four or, five but they're like that next tier right. After and that's not in a shot at them by any. Means it's, just you, know whether It's juju Or page or Flage a Or hannah A dog, like there's just you, know, yeah that's how it. Goes and If i'm not advocating for my next year of clients and making sure that they are first, up that's on. Me and so the good thing IS i do advocate for those and fortunately the powers that be AT, ESPN i, Mean Brian lockhart And Katzi fernandez were incredible at helping make sure that That kiki was you, know was prioritized, basically and on this one for two, PICULAR i wouldn't say That kigy said, like please go seek that, out BUT i would say that a lot of my other clients now after Seeing kiky in, it are, like, OH i want to do, that or, like, hey let's let's do you, know And i'm really you, Know i'm really.
Speaker 1: Sak hey where's?
Speaker 2: Mine where's?
Speaker 1: Mine? Hey, hey hey get me? Mine get me? My where's? My where's?
Speaker 2: My? Look, honest we all do.
Speaker 1: THAT i will do that to my agents And i'm, like, OH i saw that this person that you represent got, This like what DO i gotta do to?
Speaker 2: What WHAT i will give credit To jackie AND i to do is we try to get ahead of that where we we will try to predict how our clients will react as anything comes, out and so we try to tell people in, advance, like, hey this person's getting, this but like we know what you, know you're in your own lane and you're getting, This and we always SAY i always, say, like you, know you have to create your own lane and you're running your own. Race and if you comparison is the thief of, joy which is easy for an agent to say or to cover their own, ass.
Speaker 1: But it's true. Though that's life and you got to learn that. Early, yeah speaking of things that your clients might be jealous of that we're we're leading up to the big news you and your very special relationship With cheney has led to something completely, different the starting of your own production company and now this brand new. Project tell us about the W i have a question for.
Speaker 2: You, First, yeah when you saw them, news what was your?
Speaker 1: Reaction super excited and also jealous BECAUSE i wanted to work in comedy and. Television that was my first dream BEFORE i switched to. Sports and so anytime someone from the sports dates intersects with, Entertainment i'm, like how did they know how to do? That and where was their entry and who did they? Meet Because i'm always thinking LIKE i would love to help write a show or consult for shows that work in, sports or like THINGS i have to do with like comedy and the intersection of WHAT i. Do so FIRST i was, jealous and THEN i was like very excited for, y'all AND i just am like brainstorming all the different ways and hopes of how it will be. Done because there are shows that have been in sports and you're, like that's not, right and if you know, sports you know that they didn't pull it. Off and then there are sports shows that nail it and it feels so.
Speaker 2: Authentic do you still? Right? Yeah never say, Never. Sarah that's the incredible thing about this, world the amount of inbound inquiries from like god knows, who how about our. Contacts it's. Wild but, like if you're still, WRITE i, mean whatever we, can we can sidebar that. Perfect but to answer your, question So chaney AND i helped create and produce or think we executive. Produced, technically back in twenty, Twenty chaney was not playing in the bubble and we kept hearing all these crazy stories that were coming out of the bubble and we were, like oh my, god we need to get a, camera you, know crew in. There so long story, short we Connected kathy was amazing and the.
Speaker 1: W W n Bakamish.
Speaker 2: Yes kathy was was. Amazing Like chane AND i literally just group chatted, her gone on the phone with, her connected her WITH Espn, films and then they they got a deal done And shane AND i we were lucky to be a part of. That what we weren't lucky about is that if we had a production company we learned the hard, way we would have gotten paid and instead we just worked for free for ten months for. Experience and so as soon as we figured that, OUT i was, like all, Right, chenee first of, all we need to create a production company and we need to figure this out Because i've always felt like entertainment is what's missing to get women's sports where it needs to. Go and if you, can entertainment is one of the, biggest you, know exports we have in this. Country and really just what you can do to change culture and make a lasting. Impact AND i know that sounds corny or cliche or, whatever but so we created a depruction. Company it's called The Victoria's, company and it's all about redefining what it means to, win particularly for, women but not exclusive to. Women jane delivers that part way better THAN i. Do but, yeah so we. Started we actually went TO Espn films and we, said, okay like we're not getting paid on this introduced us to everybody in The disney family and we want to pitch. Them What chane originally wanted to pitch was did you remember The Disney channel original Movie Double? Teamed mm, hmmm all. Right it was About heather And Heidi bird.
Speaker 1: Producer, yeah younger younger producers remembers.
Speaker 2: Two thousand and. Three it was crystallized in my memory as a as a kid playing. Basketball, Basically jane wanted to reboot it about her and you, know her Sister nika and their. Family and we started pitching it around and got feedback of, like, no we don't really like, that but we like your dynamic pitch a something on you. Guys you guys have a very unique dynamic as as agent and. Client and SO i was Like, cheney, like go Watch, entourage like you probably haven't seen it. Yet she's, like, no, okay she is a prolific television. Consumer, yeah and she Watched, rage and then we kind of curated our pitch cool the Reverse, Entrage, entraage the anti On, trage however you want to call. It not obviously on trage.
Speaker 1: Would non turage that perfect.
Speaker 2: And you, know set set to present day with all the incredible things that happening with women's, basketball but based on our, twenties and so we pitched it. Around, well, no let me back. Up we partnered With Conde nass and they helped marry us With Liz flayhiv And Carly, mench who are two incredible showrunners that Created glow On netflix and then added an overall deal With apple and they're like big bosses and. Entertainment we've learned a lot from. Them they they put together just like an unbelievable story arc with you, know with loosely based on our, dynamic but like in our you, know just our. Stories so we would just sit and tell them stories and stories and, stories and then they built a world in characters around, it And peacock was awesome and like made an offer while we were in the room, pitching which was super. Cool.
Speaker 1: Amazing oh, yeah so. EXCITING i CAN'T i can't. WAIT i just think IT'S i think it's so cool and it's definitely what's. Needed, like, yes the, documentaries but also these scripted series that helped tell the stories and get people in prigued by a life that they don't know or a world that they're not, in is so key to unlocking some of the interest in fandom that exists around men's sports because we've been seeing and watching those shows forever and. Ever editorial from, me they should have made the show With china And. Neca they should have remade that. Show omg f whoever said, NO i never watched.
Speaker 2: It we'll bring it.
Speaker 1: Back maybe this is also just the door that opens that gets you to that show as. Well we are out of. TOWN i could talk to you. Forever there are so many more QUESTIONS i, have so maybe we'll have you again on in the future to talk about all the cool things that your job entails and all the challenges and exciting opportunities to. Come thanks so much for the Time.
Speaker 2: Allison Thanks, SARAH i appreciate.
Speaker 1: It thanks again To alison for taking the time that joined. Us we have to take another quick. Break when we come, back we get a lesson on. Balls welcome, back, slices. Y'all remember yesterday's show when we asked you for an alternative to the phrase balls to the. Wall, well as it turns out we might not need. It shout out TO i Am Victoria ann On instagram who solved our balls to the wall tits to the turf. Problem she, wrote, quote putting on my no it all hat for a, minute balls to the wall slash balls out refers to the balls of the piston hitting the walls of a cylinder when you overtax an, engine so women can also go balls out end Quote, victoria and oh my, gosh the more you, KNOW i am admittedly not a, gearhead So i'm pretty lost on what you said and you know which balls are hitting which walls in which. Cylinder BUT i believe, you AND i am also still open to hearing people's ridiculous suggestions to replace balls to the. Wall can you beat tits to the? Turf, doubtful but give it a. Shot send him. In we want to hear them speaking of sending him. In you did your. Votes you slices have spoken and are Darch. Madness fintal four is. Set that's, right the votes are in. In twice baked potato defeated potato corn. Chowder this is particularly sad for me because potato corn chowder is my, favorite BUT i Guess i'm gonna cook it, anyway regardless of whether it's part of this. Challenge so twice baked potato it is funeral potatoes topped potato, pigs SO i will not have to go looking for an electric, drill which is. Good potato lot key beat out corn. Keish that was another bummer for. Me that corn keish sounded, delicious So i'm just gonna have to make that another. Time and tacos to poppas beat out sweet potato and. Banadas SO i will be cooking each of the final four recipes twice baked, potato funeral, potatoes potato lot, key and potato. Tacos i'm gonna cook all of. Them i'm gonna eat all of, them and Then i'm gonna name one the twenty twenty five Starch Madness. Champion don't, WORRY i will be posting photos of the, results which will test both my cooking and my food styling. Skills but, guys the pressure Of march madness doesn't just take place on the. Court it's gonna happen in the kitchen. Too we always love to hear from, you so hit us up on email good game at acast dot. Com that's, right that's our new email Good game at acast dot. Com acast dot. Com we're also doing a little tune up on our, voicemail but we will be soliciting the sound of your sweet angelic voices again, soon so stay tuned for, that and don't forget to, Subscribe rate and review scroll. Down give our podcast five. Stars tell us why you love. Us it's super. Easy watch The Toronto sceptors watch party for The College Hockey championship game rating five out of five stick taps review the Pwhls Toronto scepters had a little watch party for The frozen Four championship Between wisconsin And Ohio. State and you knew it was going to be a tense party because there were players who went to both rival schools in the. Room it was fun to watch them watch the. Game we'll link to the video and the show, notes BUT i think our favorite moment Was Natalie, spooner who's An Ohio state, alum asking during overtime is it eventually going to go to a? Shootout and, honestly it's really good to know that even the best players in the world sometimes need to Use google to get a little refresher on the. Rules now it's your, turn, y'all rate and, Review thanks for. Listening see you. Tomorrow Good, Game, Allison Good, Game sweet sixteen Qualifiers you whoever rejected That cheney And nekka double team to Remake Good game With Sarah spain is An iHeart women's sports production in partnership With Deep Blue sports And. Entertainment you can find us on The iHeartRadio, App Apple, podcasts or wherever you get your. Podcasts production By Wonder Media, network our producers Are Alex azzie And Misha. Jones our executive producers Are Christina, Everett Jesse, Katz Jenny, kaplan And Emily. Rudder our editors Are Emily, Rutterer Britney, martinez And Grace. Lynch our associate producer Is Lucy jones And i'm your Host Sarah. Spain