Speaker 1: Man, what's handed?
Speaker 2: Man?
Speaker 1: You got Marshawn be Small Lynch.
Speaker 2: Doug Hendrickson and Gavin Newsome and you're listening to politickets.
Speaker 1: You're to be, you're knowing to be.
Speaker 3: I love that your lounge like that. We're just trying to show off your your biceps. Man, what is this? Are you still working out all the time? What happened?
Speaker 1: Honestly all the time? How are you working out enough not to be?
Speaker 2: Hell of fact, By the way, Marshawn does just say he looks younger than men?
Speaker 3: Who does me?
Speaker 1: It's some morreshawan.
Speaker 3: I think he's right, it's true. I'm like, I think, how many weeks younger than you? I like, barely even you got it? Like ex football players, a lot of ex athletes they look like I mean they all just let.
Speaker 4: It go right, yeah, I mean after putting it, I could see how. But man, look I got complications like, man, if I start getting too heavy, my motherfucking backstart killing me.
Speaker 3: So you got that?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Yeah, And this is one of those situations where you know, we took for granted when it was younger, Like if you don't.
Speaker 1: Use it, you lose the type situation.
Speaker 4: And man, you know I still like to get out there and run with the kids and all that shit. So I mean if I if I take too long off and then I just try to get back hamstring, you know, I mean shoulders, all these nagging as injuries.
Speaker 3: Were you guys? I'm curious because when you guys first met I mean you were out there, you were you were running back at cal You weren't scout. Were you scout in this guy or did someone say, hey, you got to check this Marshawn Lynch guy out. No.
Speaker 2: I heard about Marshawn and you know, did my homework on him, and then you heard about again. Well, back then everyone kept talking about Adrians, Adrian Peterson and Marshawn its two bust backs. So I went to one cow game, saw the guy. Well, Col's in your backyard. Peterson wasn't in your backyard, right, Peterson wasn't. But naturally you get to know who the guys are. So anyways, I see Marshawn, and I knew that this guy was going to be the guy, and he was going to be a guy.
Speaker 3: And you know what I call a little bs when you saw him, you did that or you just on the basis of stats.
Speaker 2: No, No, I saw him play again.
Speaker 3: You know me on every damn record at Cal.
Speaker 2: And I'm not a football guys. You know, I'm a basketball baseball player, which is the irony, right, But how the hell you become a football agent if you're not a football guy? Great, great story. Never never never never, No, never played football. Actually my first client was a running back, Johnny Johnson nineteen ninety one, rookie the year got into football ninety one. That's how long I've been doing this.
Speaker 3: But you were an agent working, you had a different bunch of different clients, or at least in the agency it was it was basketball. It stepped made Steph Curry, I recall was part of the larger agency. I mean, who was How the hell did this all happen?
Speaker 2: No, So you know, I've been an agent for God since ninety four and then. But but anyways, when I when I saw more Sean, I knew he was special in the field. But then when I met him and talking first time, I knew he had the AD factor, And so I knew he had the factor. Now, ironically, going back to two thousand and six, when I met you, did I think we'd be hosting the podcast together. Probably not okay because like I've said for many times, more Shawn is taking years off my life in a good way, in a bad way.
Speaker 4: But you say that like, yeah, I mean we've always had the conversation like we should do the remake of Jerry Maguire. Yes, the money because it was it wasn't so much showed me the money, but but our dynamic was like a relationship like shit, we ain't we ain't pulling no punches. And that's kind of like you know, I mean to you know, speak to you know our relationship and ship. I think that's why it's being you know, so strong, because you know what ship this was eighteen years later, eighteen years eighteen years later, like we still rock with each other already. Of the guys like they switch agents like fuck, like they switch their draws type of right. So you I mean the fact that you know, we have a relationship where we pulled now, you know, I mean, like it is what it is?
Speaker 3: Did that take a long time? And you say you when you saw him, you talked about the H factor all the stats aside. I mean, this guy's a phenom and high school is a phenom obviously at cal you're interest to your agent. You're out there, everybody's hustling. I imagine to get this guy's attention, you immediately identify that it factor. But what what was I mean? What else?
Speaker 1: I mean?
Speaker 3: How did you how did you manage then the relationship? How did you first engage Marshawn to make the point that you're a little different than all these other damn agents that are a diamond?
Speaker 2: Doesn't Well it's interesting because you know, back then, I got ahold of them through either his uncle or cousin Patracks or KP and got a hold on more.
Speaker 3: Sean And for folks that don't know your your uncle playing in the NFL, right, Yeah, So that was the So that was the point.
Speaker 1: He didn't meet him until.
Speaker 2: He was down the road, but I knew. But look, I knew Marshawn was different and in a weird way. I knew that, So I didn't I knew I wanted I had to call him, but I knew I want to meet him in person. So the first time we met him, I said, hey, why don't you come meet me at the Snoop show. And we go to the Snoop Show in San Francisco and I'm thinking just.
Speaker 3: He and he just having to randomly have tickets, or.
Speaker 2: I've known so Snoop knew Jamal Anderson the Dirty Bird in Atlanta was one of my first clients back in ninety four ninety five. Snoop and Jamal were family, so I've known him a long time. So I knew the show was coming to town, so I had more Seawan come instead of him coming solo. He came with probably twenty thirty. And you're a big.
Speaker 3: Snoop guy back then, or you're like, I got nothing to do tonight.
Speaker 1: What was it?
Speaker 4: No no I fuck with Snoop for show? But I think it was more so like good kind of flex his muscle, because you know, at that time, it was more so like they used to have runners, which is like individuals that work underneath the agent, right because the agent couldn't come talk to you, but you know, an associate can coming higher at you.
Speaker 1: But I don't think Doug really played by those rules.
Speaker 4: So yeah, I mean when when it came down to like at this point, you know, I didne been hearing from you know, a few agents, and you know all of them was kind of you know, talking the same, you know, shit.
Speaker 3: Me, here's what I can do for you, you know.
Speaker 4: Or at that point in time, it wasn't so much more what they could do for me, but more so like, oh, yeah, I'm interested in you and I want to represent you, you know, through the process, and I'm like, uh, okay. But you know Doug his you know, his his anger was a little different. It wasn't so much more about like, you know, I want to represent you. Now I don't believe I mean that he wasn't having those conversations with my cousin or you know, KP. But with me, it was just like it seemed like some genuine shit like hey, look, uh you know Snoop in town. We're going to the show, like you know, I mean you should come type shit. All right, I'm gonna come pull up on you and see what's up then, like he said, I.
Speaker 3: Bring you twenty people.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I can't. You know, ship, this was an opportunity ship. We've been listening to the Snoop Ship for for for forever so and you.
Speaker 3: Had never met him before.
Speaker 1: Nah, I love it.
Speaker 2: But honestly, as an agent, had to be the first in the best instro ever. So he comes to show.
Speaker 3: So you're you're showing how hooked up you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well he shows up and all of a sudden he gets he gets a little late. So he goes in the show, does this thing and all that. And then afterwards I said, you want to go do you want to go hard Snoop? And so we go see Snoop and we you know, light up some of the California's finest and uh some of that sweetish chee and we get with Snoop. Anyway, Snoop says, hey, listen, man, this white guy here, you can trust him.
Speaker 1: He's family.
Speaker 3: And I mean he literally used that language he did.
Speaker 2: And for more Shawn hes still you know, might he might not?
Speaker 1: Well, he's it is white boy.
Speaker 3: You were a junior.
Speaker 1: This white boy, Sally.
Speaker 3: This white boy Sally. You were a junior at cal at the time, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So anyway, so that was that was a good start for Marshawn. And and then I got to know him more and I realized that, hey, I'm not I Look, I've been around for thirty years. There's a lot of clients can to play, do well and have great things. But I knew from Marshawn he was different, and something was there and he wasn't Beastmo. Back then he wasn't he was. We didn't have trademark.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I get it all right.
Speaker 2: So anyway, so then he go he goes in and does his thing and and and whatnot, and the rest is history. But that was the first intro, which is pretty cool.
Speaker 3: Who is it when you're when you're recruiting folks? Most important relationship? Mom?
Speaker 2: No, I think I think it depends. I think it's it's it's it's whoever's involved. I want to go to the player and and and the person to kind of fight. It was important to them. Could be mom, could be uncle, could be girlfriend, could be sister, whoever it may be. And he was sewn. He wanted me to he wanted me to come at him. Obviously another family. But Marshawn's community was Oakland. It was and just mom. It wasn't cousin. It was Oakland. He wanted to know, what can you do for my crew in Oakland? And he wanted to build a youth center in Oakland. He wanted to give back the community. He wanted to empower the community. He wanted to change people's lives. And you were really having.
Speaker 3: Those conversations as a junior in college. Yeah, having talking about community centers and giving back at that level.
Speaker 4: Sh what like I said, this what year eighteen, that's functioning together. And then you think about it like this our eighteenth year of you know, doing our our give backs, which you know over the years have evolved into bigger ship like now we do have the community center. Uh So I mean, you know, off rip, like I had a football camp to give back to the uh, to my to my city before I even was a ship NFL player, So you know, it's always been something, uh, you know that I strive to do. And then it just happened that I had no I had family that was you know, in the same position that I was with an opportunity to go to the league. So you know, collectively, you know, I mean that was the type of hype that we was on.
Speaker 2: So I forget this gap. We literally he before he gets drafted, he's be smoked. Okay, And this before the Internet. There was no there was no social media back then. So back in two thousand and seven, no bullshit. Me and Marshawn trademarked Besmoke.
Speaker 3: In two thousand and seven, we.
Speaker 2: Spent probably what Marshaun five Grand trademark Bistmode and was one of the first athletes ever to trademark something, so we trademarked b smoke okay, which begs the question where the hell did beast mode come from?
Speaker 1: Realistically? Like it was a it was some ship where.
Speaker 4: Where you know, it was a one of my coaches for my little league team used to call me man child. And then as it started going on, like boy, that boy beast, that boy beast, and then I heard, uh, that's when when Boosy started coming out. Uh, and that motherfucker was going hard with some ship and he had a song, h beach Mo.
Speaker 1: And I'm like, oh, that ship was catchy.
Speaker 4: That ship was on and I was feeling that motherfucker and then that that man child, which are he a beast? And then yeah, and then that ship just transformed to on beas mo. But hell, you shout out to boos because when that ship came out and that ship started going crazy, like yep, I adopted that ship and then.
Speaker 2: Uh and you I mean it literally, it's like a mask you put on your face growing up and you felt that like this is me.
Speaker 1: What it is.
Speaker 3: That's just it just that was like, e body, do you thought you.
Speaker 4: Were that ship is and me not on me, That ship is in me. So you know what I mean when when that ship started going, like uh, as far as you know, the relationship and everything that was uh that was happening and you know, coming to life, it was like I didn't I didn't know you know that these type of things was even possible. And it was almost to the fact where it was like I get put in a position it was like, well, you know they always tell me no, you can't do that, No you can't do this, or that's not possible. This is that a third So then I'm just like we shit, fuck it. Uh hey, Doug, I want to I want to you know, I mean, I want to start a uh a nonprofit. It was like, all right, hook me up with the people to do it. Damn motherfuckers did it. Like oh shit, we accomplished some shit. Like damn we did it. And it's like, okay, now where we go from here.
Speaker 2: Before it became an agent, back back in the days, it was transactional. An agent came in this before Jeremy Guire, before our lists.
Speaker 3: You mean, when you say transactional men, it was just you, you get your your cut, you move on.
Speaker 2: The next agents back in the mid nineties did a contract and then they send a Christmas card, maybe it's some flower or president on birthday.
Speaker 1: That was it.
Speaker 2: And then when you're done, playing is over with. So I want to come in it differently, and I had accountability knowing the fact that I want to be with Marshawn not for twelve years his career, for thirty forty years, because and.
Speaker 3: You know, no, Bs, you honestly had that mindset that this was about a relationship that's long, one hundred percent.
Speaker 2: Because here's the deal. How many jobs in the world can you sit there and say you can change someone's life. Maybe a teacher, maybe a doctor, maybe a politician, But where you can change someone's life. So I say, you know, if I'm in this thing, I want to not only help Marshan through his career, but also make sure that I'm there for him when he's done, because these players have problems when they're done. It's not when they're when the player is great, the lights are on, checks are coming in, but what happens when they're done playing for the next twenty thirty years? Any sport you look at shows like ESPN broke, you look at all the different shows out there. What's going to happen? Then? So I said, listen, if I want to get into saying I want to be for the real reasons, look after Marshawn Soil. He's forty to fifty six years old. I mean necessarily that the job I have is people live to work. People work to live. Most people in the world, as you know, they work at a job and they hate what they do. But you got to get a paycheck to pay the rent, mortgage, car payment, whatever it may be. I literally have a job. I live to work. Mean, I love what I do. Don't even really know how much money I make. But I get to see client Maran time because she does to see I get to see the fruits of it. Man. I see what Marshaw's built in terms of what he's done for Oakland, the community. He stayed, he hasn't left, He's been there being around and so these are the kind of things I love doing. The players I want to be around with that see the impact.
Speaker 3: Well, and I've seen that directly because I'm a byproduct of that relationship with Marshawn and that's how we all came into the picture. But a little bit, let me step back. I mean, Marshaan was your your biggest first client.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I had some bigger ones before that. He was, you know, he was obviously big. I had some other class.
Speaker 3: I was the biggest, Right had some.
Speaker 1: He had some he like, you know what I mean.
Speaker 4: And then my my biggest thing was like, uh, I forgot who it was.
Speaker 1: He had a client that I hollered at. Uh uh it was Kevin Barlow.
Speaker 2: Kevin Barlow.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I hollered at him.
Speaker 4: Man, he was and he the one who really, like you know, put into my mind like, you know what, you gotta check some ship on another level. Otherwise you feel me, you could get kind of tossed to the side. And I don't know, like you know what the dynamics of the relationship was. But he was just like, hey, you know what I mean, just make sure you stay on top of your agent, because like you said, it was a tran it was transactional. So you know, I mean, I I told Doug straight like, hey, it ain't gonna be no you feel me, you come, you get this check and then you don't holler at me, like, motherfucker, you better pick up that phone and higher at your boy or when I pick up the phone and I ain't calling to just talk to you about you know what I mean, what's going on with?
Speaker 1: Uh? You know, a con tract of nothing. I'm a call, Hey what's up? How you know? How the kids doing? You know what I mean?
Speaker 4: Like, hey, we got this event going on, you better come pop out and you know what I mean, show what's up? So I mean, you know, I think it was you know, both of us being proactive and uh and uh, you know, building a relationship that you know, we didn't know well our for show didn't know that you could have between agent and player. But I mean, you know, it was a lot of It was a lot of things that you know, I think could have hindered that because you know, at the time, Uh, there wasn't a I'm pretty sure there's a lot more, but there wasn't a lot of black uh black agents.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so.
Speaker 4: You know the few that was in it, they they they angle was more like, uh, you know, don't go and sign with the white boy. And you know what I mean, not just saying Doug in general, but you know that was just a thing. So you know, for me to step out and actually give them an opportunity and you know what I mean to start to uh be aild to trust in our relationship. That ship was That ship was big and it was a leap of faith that you know, actually turned out to be.
Speaker 2: I still say to this day of look, Gavin Marshawn can make one time, So listen, don't come at me crooked. Before I ready to sign, I said, what do you mean to make crooked? He said, don't bullsheit me, shoot me straight, look me in the eyeball it whether it be good or bad. If it's when things are, things would be good, but things would go bad. Told me the truth and I'll never forget that. He said, don't come out met And I know you've never.
Speaker 3: Got that because you bring that up all the time, independent of where that came from.
Speaker 2: Don't look at me cricket. And you're always giving people that same advice. But was there a moment, Marshaun in the relationship where you're like you knew you didn't have to you didn't have.
Speaker 3: To worry about this guy anymore. Was there was there an incident? Was there an issue? Was there you know something. He went the extra mile. You're like, damn, this guy is the real deal. I'm one hundred. I'm all in.
Speaker 4: Yeah, from from conversations that I had with you know, some teammates and uh you know older players about you know, the relationships with their agents. Uh, it was a situation that that came up, and uh one of my cousins had ended up going to jail, and so I called Fresh like, hey, blood, my cousin just went down. Bro, like I need some help type shit. He like, Okay, hold on, I'll call you right back.
Speaker 2: Bro.
Speaker 1: They called me back like, well, what's his name? You know what I mean? Where he went to jail at? You know what I mean?
Speaker 4: And uh, we're gonna figure some shit out.
Speaker 1: And then you.
Speaker 4: Feel me from there was like, oh shit, he didn't judge me based off of you know, uh, you know me calling him telling him that my cousin had went to jail.
Speaker 1: Like, he didn't backpedal on me. You feel me though.
Speaker 4: He showed up and then you feel me to me was the extra step, like you know, I mean because of where I was at, you know, I mean, he went you know what I mean to the ball bondsman and you know what I mean, put down his own you know, I mean his own chicken type shit, and I'm like, oh, like, yeah, this white boy got my back on some other ship. Like, but the biggest thing it wasn't even the you know, him going down to the bail bonds man or you know, handling the situation. It was that when it happened, he didn't judge me. And that ship was that that ship was big, and that's when it had clicked for me, Like, oh yeah, you know what, he might be locked in now. It could have been because at that point in time, I might have been, uh, his biggest name client. But the fact that he went to work and made that ship happen, like all right, fresh you remember that?
Speaker 2: Well, no, I remember that. Yeah, I remember that. But but it's funny kind of as a prelude to where you came in this whole relationship. I'll never forget this where Shawn had an issue in Buffalo and he it was it was a hit and run thing. It was bullshit. Uh you know, the whole thing.
Speaker 3: It was just a couple of years.
Speaker 2: This is two thousand, it's like his second year in the league. So he's in Buffalo, gets this hit and run deal, minor thing.
Speaker 3: It was going to be.
Speaker 2: It was no issue, right, So the team sets him up with an attorney. So this attorney thinks he's the next Flee Bailey and Johnny Cochran, and he wants to not not get the case over with. He wants to like make this thing CNN and public and go take this thing instead of getting like a misdemeanor ticket, he wants to take this thing to court and all that. So Marshawn, you know, being from Oakland, He's like, hey, minute, don't talk to anybody. Don't talk to your agent, don't talk to anybody, lawyers, lawyers, so so. So for three four days in a row, I don't hear from Marshawn, okay, and I'm like, this is weird. Man, Like I literally he's not calling me back and so so no bullshit. At four in the morning, I wake up my wife, Shila will Know says, where are you going. She's like, I'm going to Buffalo And she's like, what do you mean You're going to Buffalo? And I said, I go, I go. I don't know what's going on, but Marshawn's not getting back to me. I something this thing doesn't get handled because I got tipped off from Goodell that if we don't get this case over, something might go down.
Speaker 3: I mean, you'll get suspended.
Speaker 2: Now, this attorney's not calling me back because I'm not his client. Marshawn's my client repsisdent. So she's like, where are you going? I said, I'm going to Buffalo. She's like, have you planned I go? And I said no. So I literally go to the air present. I'm going to the airport. I book a flight. This is like December. I connect through Chicago, get to Buffalo. Okay, I get a cab and I go to Marshawn's house. Okay, I'll never forget. He opens the door in like a robe or his shorts on, a T shirt on eating fruity pebbles okay or lucky charms, remember this, and he looks at me.
Speaker 3: He says, talk about the diet.
Speaker 2: Later he looks at me and he's like, what the fuck are you doing here? And I said I came here and he says, were you? I didn't know you're in town. I said, I didn't know what was coming either. He says, what are you here for us to listen here's the deal. I need ten minutes. I said, we need to fire this attorney. We need to get this pledged to a misdemeanor. We need to get it done. If not, this thing's going the wrong direction. You're getting suspends. After talking to Goodell, well this is when I get tipped off before. But I'm like, so here we got it. He's like, so what do you think. I said, we got to fire the attorney, we got to plead this thing out, and we got to be done with it. And he says, okay. He says, where are you going? I said, I'm getting back in the fucking cab and going back to the airport, going home, so literally Chicago. I stay, I met Marshawn's fifteen I don't even think I come in the house. Fifteen minutes. I get back as I land, I get a voice for for more. Shawn says, got it, let's get it done. So we fired the attorney, got the thing pled down to misdemeanor. Okay, got it over with, and hence where you came in the relationship.
Speaker 1: And then I.
Speaker 2: Called you when I say, Gavin, I don't know Goodell that well at the time, but Marshawn is up for us as possible. He's at He's a great kid.
Speaker 3: Have his back. Don't believe any of the bs you're reading. I'm telling you, Oh, this is the real deal. Not in a few times. This guy's a great kid. He's not this guy.
Speaker 2: And what did you do? You called?
Speaker 3: I called him just and I said, this is I'm not asking you for anything. I'm just telling you this is a great kid. I don't care what you basically repeated, not everything you said, but what I had experienced the first few times I met with him, and then you vouched for him, So I vouched for you on behalf of Marshan and I remember, good. I'll never forget that call. First of all, he appreciated the call. It wasn't influential in that respect, and I wasn't in a position to be quote unquote influential, but it was. It was a character of validation that was way out of the norm. And he's hearing from some guy like me going, how does what's the relationship there? And I remember you can tell with Roger. I don't want to speak for Roger, but it triggered something of you know, curiosity, How does this guy know Marshan.
Speaker 2: And well, the crazy is that is that little I was saying, little things in life, you can go into directions where it's it changes lives. And that was one where if you're a kid, man, that's that goes in one or two directions, right, I mean man. And if we didn't get ready the attorney and that guy was a freaking preck by. If we didn't get rid of this guy, I'm not going I just wanted the attorney.
Speaker 3: I didn't say a word. Okay, it's these two.
Speaker 2: But we had to get we had to get him out of it. And and if we didn't, who knows what direction went. But it all turned out and and liq, wh're at today? And there was some other hiccups in the road two along that line, and we got him out of Buffalo eventually. But that was big on your part, guy, So I appreciate that. Let's show more Sean a lot, and that's the.
Speaker 3: Beginning of the relationship.
Speaker 4: So that I mean for maybe for for YouTube, but the biggest thing was, you know, I mean when we I don't know what campus was, it might have been three, might have been our third one, but.
Speaker 3: For your camps in Oakland, Yeah.
Speaker 4: And uh, you know, we asked you to come out, and you know, I mean I remember his ship like yesterday man pull up and yeah, I just remember Josh like, you know what's crazy because Mark at the time, Marcus was uh pete.
Speaker 1: He was a participant in the camp. He was he was Marcus. Yeah, he was a participant in the camp.
Speaker 4: And now I mean now he uh you know, vice president for the UH for the foundation. But yeah, I mean I know we all sitting on the thing like, man, who the fuck is this coming up? Like the president type ship and then Batman jump out you feel me, and I'm.
Speaker 1: Like, oh shit, this motherfucker. Really he really answered the call, like all right, cool.
Speaker 4: So then when you come out and then you just came and you know, were walking around the track just politicing and ship and I just remember when I go back on the field, you know, I hear you know some of the UH the coaches was like, bro, motherfucker, that's Gavin Nue, Like how you get him to come out? I'm like, bro, I have no idea, but the impact that it made on them for them to be able to see you out there and the way that they responded. Yeah, I mean like your you know, your political status is what it is. But I'm like, you know what, fuck all that, Like Gavin really just popped out to the hood, you feel me doing and and and and really came and just was functioning like on some on some solid shit like not you know what I mean, worried about all the I guess back lad or whatever the fuck would have happened for you know, somebody of your statue to come out to you know what I mean, come to the hood and really just you know what I mean, kick it.
Speaker 1: That shit was like damn, like I fucked with brush.
Speaker 4: So then you know, when it comes down to it, like you know, we got some events going on in the city, Marshan, we need y'all to come out. And then I mean for us, because of what we were doing in the community, you know, to be at those events, you know, I mean, it kind of opened our eyes to a lot of shit that we didn't know, you know what I mean, what's happening that was possible for us to do. And then I mean, you know, we was taking the ship of what we're seeing how y'all was rocking and managing shit, and we would take it back to Oakland and implemented in our foundation. And it's like, yeah, I mean at the end of the day, now you look up and yeah, I mean we in year eighteen.
Speaker 1: It's like damn.
Speaker 3: And meanwhile, I'm taking back all those experiences and I'll never forget. I mean a number of the families that were there, with all the kids and the pride and the energy and in your I mean, i mean, here you are, this next level rocks. I mean, every one of these kids want to be Marshaun Lynch one day. And just that deep pride, that sense of community and a completely different relationship with the community. It's not intellectual and you start to feel that at a deeper level, a human level. And it definitely grounded me in the work I was doing at the time. I had just become mayor of San Francisco. Some across the Bay and Nobs started spending more time in Baybey Hunter's Point, in the projects at West Point Middle Point. I did something called March Gladness instead of March Madness, which is a basketball tournament three on three with folks up there in the projects. All of that just in relationship to developing a deeper relationship with you and Doug in the community and a connection that was not again about politics. And I think one of the cool things about this podcast is it's not about politics. And I know we've framed it as politiicing and Marshaun. That's interesting. I imagine people are curious how even came up the name, but you you talk about it in the context of what you do every single day, right.
Speaker 4: Just even like you were just saying so in a sense to where you know, like you are a politician and then you know, I mean just even like you know, back then, you know, some of the people who you know, I could say, like the older folk was like damn, you know you well fuck you just had at the mayor of a San Francisco over here and the mayor of Oakland ain't even came and I'm like like damn. Like so as I'm looking at it, you know, like it's to me, it's like, well, shit, you know, if if this motherfucker is the one who you know, run a San Francisco and shit, and he would take the time out considering you was doing shit over in Frisco, but you know, you would take the time to come over to Oakland, you know what I mean to politic with us, like like, damn, you know, I'm not looking at it as a political move for you, because I'm pretty sure it like, well, why you out there in Oakland over there doing something? You know they'll find it with somebody gonna find a way to say what you're doing over in in they city and not in ours type of shit. But the fact that you know what I mean, I don't. I don't think maybe you did, But for me, it was like you coming to Oakland, like you don't get no political gain from over there. You just coming over here to function with your you know what I mean, function with your dude, Like what's up.
Speaker 1: With a gap? You good batman?
Speaker 2: Bro?
Speaker 4: You really just popped out of the Batmobile and came to the hood like, man, what's up?
Speaker 1: Like, hey man, this is my mama. Hey, this is my cousin.
Speaker 4: Hey look man, oh man, look brother, this this this unk right here.
Speaker 1: And that's Auntie right there.
Speaker 4: You know, we call Uncle Auntie individuals who you know, maybe on drug or something. But and while you was there, like you feel me, did nobody feel like you know, you was looking down at him or feeling uncomfortable. Now, you probably had about a million secret services around there making sure everything was all good. But yeah, I mean the fact that you was comfortable over there, like you know, I mean I look at that type of ship. You feel what I'm saying now. You know how people you know judge you based off of you know, uh, you know, your your if they see on TV Dad like you feel me like status. I was looking at you as you know, I mean as a as a as a as a person like man, let me see what what dog really talk about? And dan ship you know, from there then you inviting mo fucker to your house and hell and shit and I'm like, damn, like, oh dog, real dog.
Speaker 2: Well that's the thing. More sean Like he slid like you know, we always say that. More sean Like you grew up. And I think when I signed you say, hey man, if I make fucking thirty, life's good, kiss this guy. And uh, you know, as you know, my dad died young forty four, and on his deathbed he told me, hey, man, keep good people in your life. Life isn't that hard. But treat people right, put people good in your corner and have those relationships. And at the end of the day, you know, it's about finding the right people, right, and and and I found the right people. You know, Gav has been my partner for and brother for twenty five years. You have been as well. And at the end of the day, it's about knowing who you're with, know what they're all about, whatnot. You know what I'm saying, But you're right. People give him shit like you know this and that, but you know the real people what they're all about.
Speaker 3: But it's interesting, it's it just listen, It's all about judgment, Isn't it just judging other people for their circuit. You talk about Doug not judging you, about family members, bails, bond, anyone looking down at you, wasn't looking past you. And I mean it is. I mean it's again back relationship, but judgment. That's it's like original sin men to assume you know more than you do about someone else. Uh And And I think that's kind of the journey we've been all on is a little humility and grace and appreciation and respect for one another without the judgment, without all that stigma, without all the bs. So in every respect, this is very likely, not unlikely that we're doing this podcast, But for others, they may judge this as a strange circumstance. But we need a little bit more of this, a little more grace, little amility in the world where people are so quick to dismiss people or as you say, talk past people or down to people. And and now listen, and I think the whole purpose of this damn podcast is to get out of that, because right now it's just everyone feels it's a zero game. It's scarcity. I got to get mine and take off as opposed to framework of abundance where we're finding, you know, ways to live together and advance together across differences. So anyway, I love this. But the origin story is interesting, But man, what's more interesting of the damn this journey we've been on together over the course last few years.
Speaker 2: And some crazy well you know it's crazy. It was crazy stories. I gotta be honest with more Seawan, me and Galvin have been blasted only us, but with our whole crew and our wives and family, because you know, these Seattle days were like fucking I mean, it was.
Speaker 3: Like all San Francisco possible.
Speaker 1: Said very loudly, you know where we're at, right man.
Speaker 2: But let me let me bring you back, Let me bring you back never forget this. I'm going to bring you back to twenty fourteen. Okay, we were young. We were young, Gavin Iron, Gavin Iron, New York and you guys playing the Broncos and it's Super Bowl one, the whole deal, and you guys come up for the great season kind of storybuck ride getting the playoffs, I think all three games in the road to get there, and we're having a great week and and reving fun doing our thing and New York and whatnot. I think we were to Howard Stern party one night, did a bunch of things. Yeah, but I'll never forget. It's thirty degrees. You guys win, and when.
Speaker 3: They didn't win, it was a rent.
Speaker 2: It was over in the first Let me ask you a question. Let's establish some So we get down the locker room, right, So we're waiting for Marshaun the outside of the locker room. What does he tell me when he.
Speaker 3: The hell we even got down the locker room. It's a whole nother conversation, and that's you want to talk.
Speaker 1: So was that you don't get to go down?
Speaker 3: Who the hell are we to get down to the locker room?
Speaker 1: But before the game, when we was coming in.
Speaker 4: I was trying to figure out how because I'm I've seen y'all. We met up and Holland before we actually went into the stadium to uh.
Speaker 2: We got we got some passes to get down there.
Speaker 4: So I'm like, how do hear y'all even back here? I don't let nobody back making up.
Speaker 3: He's never had a pass in his life. He's never a ticket in his life. He is the only me who did modern day Houdini had nothing on your story.
Speaker 2: That's a fact.
Speaker 3: That's what you could talk place on planet Earth, any place on planet Earth. That place was impenetrable. It's a super Bowl and it was kind of a Post nine It's in New York, YEP. Post nine to eleven super Bowl.
Speaker 2: They had locked the place down, and you're like, we got to go down to see Marshaana.
Speaker 3: I'm like, Doug, that ain't happening, not a chance in hell.
Speaker 2: So now we'll get down. There's fucking Marshaan says to me, God, I will never forget.
Speaker 3: He doesn't look at any of us. He b lines to you headphones on the whole thing, yet your backpack on, and You're like, this is the Jerry maguire moment, show me the money, show like what the hell?
Speaker 2: And I thought it was a joke and Marshana won a joke. He was like physically getting in your face and you're kind of smiling like and you're looking at me like this is not a Like I had to back away.
Speaker 3: I'm like, oh, man, like Marcion, you were coming hot.
Speaker 2: You just won the.
Speaker 3: Super Bowl, man, dog, you just won the super Bowl. How about to take a moment.
Speaker 1: That was you know? That was all yeah. I mean you came right out of.
Speaker 3: The Doug yelling and screaming. We got to renegotiate the.
Speaker 2: Contract that he had three years laugh. But he's like showing he said it shows me. And I'm like, I'm like, Marshawn, you just won.
Speaker 3: Literally, you just won the super Bowl.
Speaker 1: Bro, Relax, we did. I did enjoy it. I think I got left but here.
Speaker 2: But then what happened? He did get lifting. Yeah, he stayed in York. I actually got him a flight the next day. He couldn't fly back with the team. You know what I got, you walked away. You gave me your super Bowl hat, which I still have if you need it back. Bro.
Speaker 3: I got like that was amazing.
Speaker 2: But listen, but let's but let's go in. So now here's the crazy part. So we go, we go from that super Bowl New York. We have a great offseason, you do your thing, you have a great time, no deal. And as we get into you next season, remember this Seahawks team is like the Rolling Stones and Beatles. I mean it's electric, right level. I mean we're at these games. The city, the energy and the vibe of Seattle is crazy.
Speaker 3: That's a different place, has never been there.
Speaker 2: So they go on and they go on, and they go on an eight game winning streak, okay, and this town is going nuts, I mean crazy. And I got to be honest with Gavin, when I look at the state of some of the best times in your life, was those seven eight games a years? I mean it was unbelievable, right, And.
Speaker 3: So I say that as yeah, you damn damn.
Speaker 2: So yeah, they go on to in game winning streak where Shawn has the beast quake. Okay, that was the beast quake two against the Cardinals, Beast Quake two and and and all that. And so now they go in the playoffs, okay, and they go in the playoffs, they win, They win the first game, and now we got the Packers. Okay, and the Packers game is, true to this day, the best game I've ever witnessed some entire life. That game unbelievable game.
Speaker 3: You're shaking your head? Why are you shaking your head?
Speaker 2: What?
Speaker 3: What about that game was that? I mean, was that up there isn't for you?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, most definitely. It was so much ship going on that happened in that thing. And then we'll make it even better. Is on the other side of that is my uh my college quarterback a Rod So yeah, I mean, it just made it even aaron more better. So, and the ending to that was it was a trip. But see something interesting about that was I think I had a I had got in trouble for doing the whole my dick from thest So they was telling.
Speaker 3: Me talking about that other time you jump in.
Speaker 4: The end zone and and grab your dick again, We're gonna find you.
Speaker 1: And I'm like, man, what the fuck?
Speaker 4: And then the next week after that, you see that, you see them selling pictures the polls with me.
Speaker 1: I said, oh, I ain't this about a bitch the way gonna.
Speaker 3: To go down that rabbit hole. But what the hell, I mean on behalf of your What the hell you doing that? What is that?
Speaker 1: What is that?
Speaker 3: Where'd that even come from?
Speaker 4: Look, man, it's just a little thing like sometimes you just got to drop your nuts, hold.
Speaker 2: Those things and drop us.
Speaker 3: Like literally, I mean what you just you dive back where? I mean? Were you practicing this at home? Where that come from?
Speaker 1: I don't know, I have no idea, he said, practice you're doing this?
Speaker 3: No wonder you have a bad back?
Speaker 1: Now do you know what landing on that motherfucker thatad?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 2: Yes, So Gavin, here's the craziest. So we win the game.
Speaker 3: I remember call it Doug saying what the hell is he doing?
Speaker 2: So we win the gall and I go to Marshaan's house. Marshall's a little party going on, and I it seemed this was like seemed like it was yesterday.
Speaker 3: What do you right after the game?
Speaker 2: At the game, we got to his house, he's got people overhold.
Speaker 3: By the way, did you run up to Rogers and give him ship after the game?
Speaker 1: Nah? I got out of here.
Speaker 3: You weren't You weren't rubbing anything.
Speaker 2: And are so So I'm with Marshaan and and he's like, hey, man, we got to talk. And this is now a year later, after the Denver game, Super Bowl.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Guy, He's like, we got to talk. He said, hey, man, I need my money. Here we go again, and I'm like, is after the Green Bag?
Speaker 1: No, man, that's when I had you talked to. So that's when I had you talk to.
Speaker 3: You made no progress off season, you made no progress.
Speaker 2: No, no progress. So he says, he said, we got to talk about my contracts. Sod damn.
Speaker 3: Now I'm starting to side with to go and.
Speaker 1: Talk to Mark.
Speaker 2: I did, and you too, and I'll never forget him.
Speaker 1: I had him, I had him that march.
Speaker 3: So I'm starting to side with you on this. It took him a damn year.
Speaker 2: So I leave, I leave, I leave his house and I go to the people. Say, Doug, you know these teams pretty well. And you know these teams well when you go through battles and you know them and negotiations and battles and fights. So I leave more sean at one third. The more I leave your house, I go to John's house. Now John's the GM with the Seahawks, John John Schneiders, who we all know and love. So John Schneider's a gym. He's having a party. He's having a good time. He's had a few drinks in him. He's a mid Wisconsin going back with the super Bowls. Back to Super Bowl. I go to John's house and we're sitting there having a great time. And about three in the morning, he puts his arm around me and say, Doug, how good is this man? How fucking good is this moment? I said, what's really good?
Speaker 1: John?
Speaker 2: However, I got it, but I do got to talk. He's like, what's up?
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 2: I said, well, yeah, but we got to work on more Shawn Steal. He's like, wait a minute, you're here party and you want you asking for a new fucking contract tonight. I said, yeah, I am John. I go he deserves it. He's back there. We got to talk about this. He's like, you want me to go to Paul Allen before the Super Bowl and asked for a new contract. I said, I said, yeah, I do, John, I do. Marshawn is shaking his head right now, yes. And this turn, this turn, this turned into a bro fest, like this is great to fuck you and I'm like, fuck you. And now we're young guy, you guys, good friends, great friends, at three in the morning. And the crazy part about it was we both had way too much to drive. Okay, my phone dies, I can't get an uber. John can't drive. So John says, fuck you, but sleep on my couch throws me like a blanket. So here I am sleeping on John Schnyder's couch after I yelled at about a new contract from where Shawn in John's the best time of his life. This about to go back, and I sleep on the freaking couch.
Speaker 3: Redefining the walk of shame the next morning.
Speaker 1: But the next day, but I will. I don't know. I don't know what happened. But if he didn't or he did.
Speaker 4: Go and talk to UH, to Paul Allen about it, that conversation is sparked the relationship with me and UH, with me and Paul Island Dad, Like I got a lot of respect for that dude, Like, yep, you know what he showed He showed up and showed.
Speaker 1: Out for me.
Speaker 4: Like I got a lot of love and respect for Paul Island Rest in peace, big dog.
Speaker 1: But that yeah, like like.
Speaker 2: You know, he came to Defense and actually had Hennessy with Marshak Hennessy.
Speaker 4: That motherfucker had Putrinity one for you, big dog, and remember and say you're I'm gonna throw back and shot a patran for you.
Speaker 1: And it's crazy because everybody was like, oh, you know Paul Is.
Speaker 4: You know, he's weird, he's awkward, this, that and the third. And I'm like, well, ship, all right, all right, put him in you know what I mean, I'm gonna sit next to him at the at the dinner. And when I sat there and win him and we was chopping it up, and I'm like, what the fuck they talking about?
Speaker 1: He weird as shit?
Speaker 4: He he said, look cool to me, like and then you know it's me, uh, Joe Montana and a couple of my teammates and I'm like, hey, you know what, have a shot with me. You don't drink like that. So he all right, I'll do it like what we're drinking, Like, Oh, don't worry about it. It's gonna be good. So I got around the patrinityy for everybody.
Speaker 1: So you feel me.
Speaker 4: We cheers through the motherfuckers back like what was that like? But Trinity Like, what the fuck is Patrona Hennessy mixed? He's like, oh my god, what you just had me drinking, he played his guitar and hell of shit. But I mean, you know, it turned out to be a good ass night. And then you know, everybody work in the organization was like, hey, you know what man like I've never seen him in last type of yeah, I mean environment and you know, move the way that he did. And then I mean, you know, from there, shit just you know elevated as far as you know, our relationship. Motherfuckers started helping me. Like you know, I was looking for some real estate honest Seattle to you know, do my store, and damn if I had some investments and shit like I would, I would send it over to him, and you know he would give me like a yay or nay on and type shit. And you know what I mean, we just started, you know, uh communicating on a level like you know say that you know, owners don't really communicate with they uh yeah.
Speaker 1: With their players.
Speaker 4: A year it was incredible, Yeah, but you know what I mean, he really took the time and the effort to like you feel me though, actually holler at me. And then it got to a point where, you know, after we had lost the uh the super Bowl, like you know, I mean He called me and was like I need you to be in uh in Seattle, And I'm like whin He like tomorrow and I'm like, shit, everything cool, like yeah, I just wanna just want to talk to you, like like shit, all right, well cool? Uh, you know I'll be up there, like yeah, I'm I'm over in the uh in the Philippines. Uh in the fucking ocean looking for a Japanese fighter ship that suck.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm like what the fuck?
Speaker 4: Like you and the Philippines and you talking about you want me to be you got some shit going on, but you know what I mean, if anybody can make it work, shit, I guess it's you. I don't know how the fuck he got from the Philippines. He's back to Seattle in the time for the meeting. But when I showed up Ship he was right there. I called ug like, hey, bro, uh, this motherfucker told me you want me to meet him in Seattle at like two o'clock or something like. You know what's going on though, like Ship, I don't know. But when we got there, we had a very interesting, uh conversation.
Speaker 1: But then it just made me think.
Speaker 4: Like like oh you you really fucked with me on a on a different level, like this ship is like you know this how my uh how my pay grade, Like this ain't my type of time. But you know, I mean if if, if so, I mean I could try and figure some ship out, but like, yeah, I want you to. And I'm like, all right, well ship, we're gonna rock like that. But I don't know if it sparked from you know, the conversation that you and Snyder.
Speaker 3: Ha had the gym.
Speaker 2: Again, mar Shawn, I think true Fleets probably goes down as one of the favorite players paulse had in terms of basketball or football. And he meant a lot to them, and and and it shows it up like that was big And I mean and and we're running out of time, but we're gonna have plenty of time to talk about.
Speaker 3: That Super Bowl. Yeah, we talked about that. We got a lot.
Speaker 2: By the way, that whole week might be about four episodes. Yeah, because there's stuff people not knowing that.
Speaker 3: What happened right after the game, what happened literally well I thought the game was still going on. I don't even know that. And mar Shaun got home that night.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we'll get into all that and.
Speaker 3: Then we'll explain exactly why Paul was trying to track you down.
Speaker 4: Let's just say, man, like you were saying, you know, you gotta have good people around. Let's just say I have some good people around, and they made some ship happen.
Speaker 1: Happen.
Speaker 3: We're gonna talk about exactly what happened, and more more more of that to come, more that.
Speaker 4: I'm to come on, politic, politic, let's go looking there with your little outsider.
Speaker 2: Let's go and probatics go. I like that