Speaker 1: Hand Me My Purse is a production of iHeart Podcasts. So I was looking on the internet while I prepare for this episode, and I saw something that said the following report states that loneliness is as deadly as smoking fifteen cigarettes a day. That's a little heavy. Okay, you can't always believe everything you read on the internet, but it says here in the caption the US Surgeon General.
Speaker 2: So you think so.
Speaker 1: First of all, they have a blue check. This is from Wealth. Is the name of the account on Instagram, the US Surgeon General. That kind of makes it a little official, right right.
Speaker 2: Also other stuff.
Speaker 1: The US Surgeon General has declared loneliness a public health epidemic, stating that it poses health risks as deadly as smoking up to fifteen cigarettes a day, costing the health industry billions of dollars annually. About half of US adults say they've experienced loneliness, with research indicating that isolation elevates a person's likelihood for experiencing depression, anxiety, and dementia, and increases the risk of premature death by nearly thirty percent. Listen, So, of course, you know me, I went to the Googles and started researching because I was like, this is BS.
Speaker 2: This seems a little aggressive and what did I find? Lo and behold, I'm just going to read an excerpt.
Speaker 1: Moreover, loneliness is associated with increased risks of cardiovascular disease, including coronary heart disease and stroke, metabolic syndrome, functional disability, dementia, and mild cognitive impairment.
Speaker 2: So let me just tell you.
Speaker 1: If you're feeling sad and lonely, listen, listen, don't play with it. With the song say, don't play with it. Don't play with it, don't play with it, don't play with it. You need to take some steps, some necessary steps to get that in order, and hopefully this episode so we'll help you in doing that.
Speaker 2: I can't see the bat that has it.
Speaker 1: Okay, what's up, y'all? Welcome to hand me my purs the podcast. I am Mimi Walker, and I will be your forever host each and every time you tune into this podcast.
Speaker 2: So go ahead and get comfortable.
Speaker 1: Go get yourself a glass of your favorite beverage, whether that's alkaline water, some Starbucks, nitro coal brew, a little bit of Mowett and Sean don or some hot tea and honey, go light yourself a candle, some incense or burn some sage and just get ready to chill out and have a good time. What's up, friends and ken, it's Mimi Resident Auntie Supreme here and hand me my purse. And today I am sipping on a drink. I got some from Starbucks. Let me check it out. It says here that it is a Venti iced Peach green tea lemonade. I've never had one before, but I got one today. Why because I'm a Starbucks addict. I am a fiend, and not necessarily for the drinks, but it's the cult that I've joined. I have all of these Starbucks tumblers. I love them. I collect them. I said I was going to stop buying them. I have not and I will not. And I collect the stars on the app, the rewards points so that I can get these cups for free. I don't buy the cups, I get them for free. And so I was going to get ninety stars if I ordered certain things today. So I went and ordered those things and that has been my dinner. And I got this iced tea. I had to order a iced tea, and so I like it. I give it an eight out of ten stars. I would order it again. It's a great drink to add to my summertime arsenal. It's a refreshing What is refreshing, It's a refreshing drink. Let me taste it.
Speaker 2: I like it.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna give it a nine out of ten because it's good. It's not too sweet. Like I said, it's refreshing. I'm excited and I can't wait to order one and add a little bit of alcohol to it, you know, make it a grown up drink.
Speaker 2: So that's what I'm drinking today. What are y'all sipping on? Friends in Ken?
Speaker 1: For today's jam, I decided to select a song by an artist that I love that I've seen live and she gives big like black girl magic vibes in a different kind of way. And because I'm a different kind of black girl, I'm a little bit weird, a little bit alternative, you know, like I do my own thing. I love to see that represented in art, particularly in music, because it's an opportunity for other black people, particularly black girls, to see, like being a black girl is not a monolithic experience. So when she came out, I was extremely excited and I got into her music immediately. I've seen her live, like I said, and her first album, if you get a chance to. I can't tell you what the name of it is because I can't think of it, but it's the album cover where the album covers in black and white and she's sitting and it's like she's vomiting a gold glitter. Listen to that album. That album is amazing. I mean, it's a classic. I listened to it from beginning to end, with the exception of the song. And because she has a song and and it kind of freaks me out. I don't know what it is about the song that scares me, but it does anyway. This song is from I want to say her third or fourth album. Song is called Can't Get Enough of Myself, and it's a song that I listen to when I am in a space where you know, my self esteem may not be at one hundred, it might be at seventy five or eighty or forty, but it is a song I listen to when I need to remind myself who the hell I am. It's a song that I listen to when I want to get back into my Muhammad Ali mo, I'm a bad motherfucker and I'm a dope chick. And when I forget that, I listen to song. I have a whole play list dedicated to when I'm feeling that way, but this song is on that playlist because I need to be reminded, like, since you dope, and what are you doing? And sometimes if I could be honest, sometimes when I'm not down on the self esteem or if I'm not feeling like I'm not that great and I know that if I'm sitting in my greatness, I'm gonna listen to it anyway because it's like, oh wait a minute, and don't you forget it. So anyway, the song is called Can't get Enough of Myself? Like I said, and I just want to read one part to you. Of course, there's going to be a link in the show notes to the video. There's actually a music video on YouTube, and this part of the song I love It says, all I want to do is what I do well in a gambler.
Speaker 2: But honey, I put money out is much better for your health. Now listen to this. This is how you know I'm black.
Speaker 1: I never knew it said, because my brand of vain glory is much better for your health. I always said, because my friends all think worrying is much better. WHOA, oh man, that's definitely definitely excuse me, not what it says. It says because my brand of vain glory is much better for your health. If you don't know what vain glory means, I'm not gonna tell you. You can always look it up on your own. And you know what I'm gonna do. I will support you. I'm gonna put the definition in the show notes because I love you and I want people to know more words. But I definitely thought when she said because my brand of vain glory is much better for your health, I definitely and I will continue to sing because my friends all think worrying is much better for your health. And that's what I'm gonna do. And nobody's gonna stop me, because who.
Speaker 2: Won't check me?
Speaker 1: Boo, I'm gonna say it anyway. Check the song out. Like I said, it's in the show notes. I hope that you like it, watch the video, and please, please please do yourself the favor of listening to her first album because it is really, really, really good. Now let's go ahead and get into this show, why don't we Okay, friends and ken, So we're gonna go ahead and get this party storedy. Talk to you and my content accent, my West Coast voice, my West Coast accent. Let's go ahead and get this porty storeded. So today we're going to talk about loneliness and the difference between loneliness versus being alone or solitude. Okay, oftentimes people confuse loneliness with being alone or solitude, but let me make it really clear for you guys, it's a real last difference. As I did the research for this episode, I came across something that said, and loneliness is associated with feelings of unwantedness and emptiness. It's about not being with other people or feeling unwanted by other people. Loneliness is heavy as much as it is empty. It weighs on our minds and our bodies. In addition, loneliness involves an involuntary type of social pain caused by a lack of connection, regardless of physical proximity to other people.
Speaker 2: End quote.
Speaker 1: Then I read that solitude and contrast is the choice to be alone and use that time either for reflection or simply enjoyment. In one's own company. It's about being present with oneself rather than the lack of company. Solitude is a choice. We can ebb and flow between solitude and being social. The option is always there to connect back with other people, and to do so rather seamlessly. Loneliness and contrast can't be turned on and off. So end quote. Okay, So there it is. There's a difference. One is a choice and the other is essentially a feeling we don't seem to have control of, or do we. The real question is, or the real thing to look at, is that we have a lot more control over our feelings than we know, and then we give ourselves credit for mainly because although we don't always control situations, we can control how we react to those situations. Even if we are not able to control our innate or immediate reaction, we can step back and adjust. So if something happens and your initial reaction is disappointment or sadness or confusion, if you just pause for a second, you can adjust your feelings and emotions. It's all about being more rational with our processing. And I've said before on this show that anger is a secondary emotion. We experience something else first. Almost every time exactly, Yes, we do. We experience emotions like disappointment, sadness, confusion, and then we start to sit in those initial emotions that we are sometimes not really pleased with the outcome or with the fact that someone or something has led us to this place or gotten us to this place in our emotions, and then boom boom, ma'am about about boom pal. So then we're angry, and we assume that you know, we're just angry, but we don't really look back and realize that I'm angry as a result of the fact that I'm disappointed and what happened. I'm disappointed in this person, or I'm sad because this person hurt my feelings, or I'm confused because I don't really understand what's going on. There are instances where loneliness can be connected to some mental health issues or mental illnesses. I'm not finna sit here and pretend like people don't deal with loneliness as a result of their depression.
Speaker 2: Not doing that. This podcast is all.
Speaker 1: About acknowledging, accepting, and understanding that people have mental health issues. I'm one of them. But sometimes it's not about depression. In situations like this where it is not like this, like the one I'm talking about. But in situations where mental health is the issue, or mental illness is the issue, it may actually be outside of our control. However, if you aren't dealing with mental illness to that degree excuse me, or mental health issues that are directly connected to your loneliness, you may have the power to handle it or to deal with it on your own. If this feeling of loneliness where you're feeling unwanted and empty, has you feeling like you want to harm yourself, you absolutely need to talk to somebody immediately. If you are feeling feelings of feeling withdrawn, or you know it's consuming you and taking up your most of your day, you definitely need to.
Speaker 2: Talk to someone immediately.
Speaker 1: But in the feeling of being feeling unwanted and empty, let's look at not necessarily what can cause it, but let's look at the healing part. And like I said, I'm not talking about people who are suffering from mental illness and dealing with loneliness as a result of their mental illness because I am not a therapist. I've said that many times, says ain't no therapist, I'm just a chick that's been healing and trying to guide other folks to healing and not necessarily healing with me or.
Speaker 2: Through this podcast.
Speaker 1: But however, you can get to the healing when I get to it, by any means necessary. Oh yeah, So if you're not new here to hand me my purse, you already probably know where I'm going with this, and that is baby, what's up?
Speaker 2: But you're loving yourself first? Let's do that first?
Speaker 1: Yes, really, let's let's get to the place where we talk about you wanting yourself first. I feel like so often we seek so much outside validation, acceptance, love, acknowledgement, friendship and company from other sources instead of going to the first source, which is you. You are the first source. You are the source. Okay, so I don't understand, Well, let me not say I don't understand. Let me take that back. I do understand, But I want us to get to a place where we seek out the love, the acceptance, the validation, the friendship, the company, the companionship within ourselves before we seek it from outside sources. Don't get me wrong, I do acknowledge that some people are not in close proximity to people that they know people that they trust and people that they love. However, when you are in the space where you may not have a community, you have the ability and the power to build a community for yourself.
Speaker 2: Jesus, Jesus, Jesus.
Speaker 1: Come on now, because so many times people just choose to lay down and take it right and become a victim. Sometimes we have to be proactive about our life. We got to be proactive about our own healing our life and creating the life that we want. So let's say you're not around people that you know, trust and love. Okay, seek people out to build the community. But see the problem is that that takes work, and quite frankly, it seems to me that sometimes people are just not willing to put in the work to create the life that they want. Relationships don't fall from the sky. It's not gonna happen. Connections just don't come out of a shower stream. I just wanted to put that Jamaican airhorn in here because I just got this new sampler app and I.
Speaker 2: Love Jamaican air horns. One more time.
Speaker 1: Like I said, connections don't just come out of the shower head. They don't come out of the water source. Keep in mind that I'm speaking about relationships in the general sense, not only about romantic relationships the general sense. So I'm talking about platonic relationships, relationships with your family, friendships, relationships with the milkman. You know nothing in particular, but I am specifically speaking about connections. We're responsible for creating the connections that we desire in our lives. Nobody else is responsible for our joy, our happiness, our peace of mind, our healing. That is our responsibility. And it's all about being intentional. When it comes to solitude, it's all about intention and choice. Come on, let me talk about God one time.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: God gives us free will to make choices and to decide what we want. Okay, So when it comes to solitude, it's all about intention and choice. And I said that this was going to be the year of intention. Solitude is basically the decision to spend time with you for you, by yourself. You always have the option to spend time with others when you choose to do so, and you can also do so without a lot of turbulence. The process can be really effortless, and like the quote said, it could be seamless. And this way of living puts the full responsibility on you to create one the life that you want, create the boundaries that you want, and create the community around you that you choose. Have you noticed that the key to this it's all about like you choosing is your choice, your decisions, is taking control of your own life and not allowing life to just happen to you. It's making life happen for you. We should all practice solitude from time to time. Y'all know, I'm a staunch advocate of it. I love being alone. It's my jam, okay, And from time to time, even if you can't, we should all find some time to spend with ourselves, even those of us who are partnered, who have children, who work around others. I work around roughly nine hundred and fifty people every day, Monday through Friday, I'm around and in proximity to nine hundred and fifty around nine hundred and fifty people. Listen, I need some time alone. Nine hundred and fifty other human beings.
Speaker 2: That's a lot. That's a lot.
Speaker 1: So I know a lot of people are probably like, oh, she's always talking about being alone. Baby, It's the only time that I get to be with me. We gotta find time in our days, weeks, months, and years to spend quality time with ourselves. How else do you get to know who you are? Okay, people talking about I don't want to be my best self? Well, baby, who is your worst self? Who is your normal self? How are you gonna get to your best self when you don't even know who you are? How you're gonna get to know who you are when you don't spend any time with yourself in reflection? And it doesn't have to be anything big. I say that all the time. Healing does not have to be a meteor shower. It doesn't have to be grandios. It could simply be sitting on a park bench, going to a restaurant and ordering something delicious and eating it alone and enjoying it by yourself, savoring the taste of the food, the smell of the food, the sounds in the restaurant, the sights that you see. Going to the movies by yourself. I know people who would rather die than go to the movies by themselves. Let me tell you some baby. I like to talk in the movies, so you may want to go to the movies by yourself. Yes, I talk in the movies. It's what I do. I'm a talker. It's what I do, very loquacious. I talk or I go to sleep. Wanted it to go to the movies by yourself, take a long drive. And these are just things that I These are just recommendations because these are things.
Speaker 2: That I like to do.
Speaker 1: I love a long ride by myself. Every car that I purchase has to have a sun roof, because there's something about I remember living in California and I remember my stepmother had a Nissan Stanza and it had a sun roof, and I just remember being able to look up through the sunroof and see in the sky. It did something to me. Every car that I own has to have a sun roof. I open that bad boy up, that sun comes beaming down. Sometimes I can't open it all the way because it's cold where I live, but I can open open the screen or move the screen back and let the sun come in. It's something about it. It does something to me. It makes me excited. I don't know how to explain it.
Speaker 2: I like it. It's my jam.
Speaker 1: Okay, take a long drive, put on some music. Get a playlist. Ain't nothing like a playlist. Get a playlist. Take a long drive. If you don't drive, take a long ride, get on the train, get on the Amtrak and go somewhere and come back. Get on the local public transportation if it's safe, honey, because sometimes Jesus Jesus Jesus, it ain't always safe, okay, And if it ain't safe, then don't but find it. Create what you want, create what you need, Walk around the mall and do some people watching.
Speaker 2: Honey. Let me tell you someone I like. I love watching people. I love it.
Speaker 1: You know why, because people are hilarious. Why in the world is that, honey, Because That's what I'll be saying when I be looking at these people sometimes.
Speaker 2: What in the world is that it brings me joy? And I don't even need to do it with anybody else. I can do it by myself.
Speaker 1: Solitude is creating peace for yourself, and you deserve it. You owe it to yourself. There's so many people who are afraid to experience these things alone, or any major moment alone, and I think we need to look at why we are afraid of spending quality time with ourselves. We are our closest friend, our most dear love. I say this shit all the time behind the world. Can you be a friend, a lover, or a partner to anyone when you cannot do these things for yourself? Why would anyone want to spend time with you if you don't even want to spend time with you?
Speaker 2: Babe? Come on now, let me say that one more time more Chile.
Speaker 1: Why would anyone want to spend time with you if you don't even want to spend time with you? In Sit in it for a seconds. Sit in that solitude will actually help you to become a better version of yourself in partnerships, your friendships, your familiar relationships, even your very surface level interactions. It cultivates authenticity, which is going to help you to feel better about being your true self. And that's because you're absolutely fine with being you. Nobody's presence in your life should cause you to lose yourself. Excuse me when you are fully aware of the best parts of you and not that the loss of our loved ones won't cause herd or pain in our lives, because you know, grief is grief that's gonna happen. You know you get sad when you lose somebody or even a breakup. However, you won't be lost. You won't lose yourself. You grieve and then you find a way to move forward. So now let's talk about some ways to cope with and heal your feelings of loneliness. First things first, I pop up freaks, all the honeys, dummies, playboy bunnies, those wanting money girl by get it together, Mimi. The first thing I'm gonna say, you already know where I'm going with this. Seek out some professional help. Speak to a therapist or a counselor maybe even a psychiatrist, because they can offer you help that I can't. Your mama can't, your daddy can't, your best friend can't, not, your pastor, you're a mom, your rap buy, a Buddhist monk, nobody.
Speaker 2: You need some professional help.
Speaker 1: And even if your mama, your best friend, your pastor, a mom, rabbi or Buddhist monk is a therapist or counselor, you need to talk to somebody that has no buy in, that is not biased, and that can be objective, and they can't quite frankly. Next, make sure you are practicing self care. Here at hand, me, my purse. We don't play about self care. This is what we do. It's what we do. Take care of yourself. Eat good food, Eat healthy food, but also eat food that makes you feel good. Don't overindulge. Listen, ain't nothing wrong. We're going to five guys. Ain't nothing wrong. We're going to get some ice cream. There's nothing wrong. Don't let nobody tell you that you can't have what you like to have sometimes, please you can. I don't be having it every day. Don't overdo it. Don't overindulge. You can have it sometimes. Don't overindulge in alcohol and drug usage. And this includes weed. I don't care what y'all say. Anything that's mind altering. Overindulging it in it can't be a good idea. Have it sometimes. If you want to have your weeds, have your weeds.
Speaker 2: I don't care.
Speaker 1: Don't overindulge, though, Get out and move around. But on the flip side, rest when your body needs rest, lay down, keep still sometimes, and if possible, spend time. I always say this, spend time outside in nature. Being outside in the natural element of the earth is essential. Get out there, get some fresh air, get some sunshine on your face, on your body, on the skin on your body. If you can go to a beach, wear some shorts, were some shorts sleeves. If not, definitely, just get some fresh air and let God shine that sun on your beautifully crafted face. Also, you want to make sure that you stand busy. Not having a lot of things to do while you are experiencing feelings of loneliness is a sure fireway to take a little trip to a town called Depressionville. Find a hobby, go running, go window shopping. Do something to keep busy. Paint, draw write poetry, write a novel, write letters to Santa Claus. Do something to keep your mind and body if possible, as active as you can. Practice meeting people by talking to strangers. Now I'm not saying to pick up stray weirdos on the street, but I am saying to talk to the lady in the produce section of the grocery store about the price of avocados if necessary, the man who brings you up to the gas station or the drug store, talk to him, say hi, make a joke. Work on your communication skills. Part of the problem is that people are afraid to talk to other people. And I know that's easy for me to say because I got a big mouth and I like to talk. But figure it out because the truth of the matter is, and I notice ain't gonna sound good. Somebody's gonna like what I'm about to say. But the reality is you the one that's lonely. So if you lonely, and I'm not talking about people who are dealing with mental illness, so please shut up. I'm talking about you who just won't go out, who are just like in Hermitville, get your ass out the house, go do something. Work on your communication skills, like I said, talk to people, build a network for yourself. And lastly, some of us have a network. Tap into the network of humans that you do have readily available. Call your friend from high school or college, Go visit your aunt or your uncle, call your cousin that lives in another state. Stay active within the communities that already exist for you, because some of y'all ain't doing that. And then y'all saying I'm lonely, take some responsibility for the situations that you're in. I'm not with being a victim. Ain't it ain't my ministry and it shouldn't be your damn ministry either. And like I said, if you truly have no community, create one, Like I said, start with the man at the drug store that I mentioned earlier. Take whatever the necessary steps are to curate the life you desire for yourself. That includes the people around you and the relationships that you want in your life. We're all responsible for the energy that we want to see in our lives, So stop sulking and being negative about the lack of people around you. Seek them out, Go out and see the world, and see the people God placed here on earth for you. Make a friend or call your old friend. You're the only person on this planet who can truly under stand one who can truly understand you, but also who can truly understand how to make you completely happy. Own your joy, because it's your job. It ain't nobody else's job.
Speaker 2: Own your joy?
Speaker 1: All right, friends, and can let's go ahead and get into the straight facts question for today's episode. Over the past four years or so, I've watched my three sons go through some pretty serious breakups. Not in the sense that they had to get a divorce, because they're all relatively still young, but as young men, they've had relationships that did not work out and they were heartbroken. It's hard to watch your baby boys. Oh she's a mom Mama, they're your baby boys.
Speaker 2: I bet they like forty.
Speaker 1: It's hard to watch your baby boys go through those painful situations and tell that she's a nurturer. Sometimes I wonder if they're trying to find what me and their dad have, or what they think me and their dad have, gets in the way of them genuinely connecting with partners. I want to offer them words of comfort and words of advice, but I also don't want to seem like that messy mama that's all up.
Speaker 2: In their love lives.
Speaker 1: My oldest two sons have been told that they're really nice and really great guys and such gentlemen with nearly every breakup. What advice would you give as an auntie to three young men in this situation who are looking for committed relationships. Joy of Randallstown, Maryland, Well, Joy, you sound like a loving mommy. These boys have their mama and their dad, and their mom and their dad are married. One thing that could be happening is you already said it. Maybe they are chasing what you and your husband have or what their mom and dad have, and if it don't fit, then they must have quit. But like, seriously, if it doesn't fit their ideal or the ideology that they have around partnership, then that might get in the way. Or they could be mama's boys. Okay, And don't nobody like being in no relationship with no MoMA's boy. I know because I was in a relationship with one early on when I was in college, and god, damn it, it was a lot.
Speaker 2: It was. I'm sorry, but it was it was a lot.
Speaker 1: And his mom had a lot to say and she didn't think I was good enough for him, which was very interesting. Yeah, exactly, what the hell, But that's not about me. That's neither here or there. Back to you, Joy, they could be MoMA's boys, so I mean, it also could be the partners that they're looking at. I think that this is why it's important to do some soul searching, because if you don't know who you are, you're going to seek out the wrong people every time. Every time it sounds like they're kind, it sounds like they're nice, unless they bugle wolfs, unless they are mud ducks, if they're ugly.
Speaker 2: I said it, I said what I said. I'm just joking.
Speaker 1: Everybody's handsome, everybody's beautiful, everybody can find something beautiful about everybody. But I doubt that that is it. I'm pretty sure that that's not it. Like, it's probably not that, it's probably that they're probably mama's boys or you know, you said it. They're seeking out like what you and their dad have. And as an auntie, what I would say is to stop being so pressed to be in a relationship with somebody else and just take this time while you're young to spend some time with yourself and figure out who you are. All too often in our society, like people are so pushed to be in partnership. And don't get me wrong, partnership is important. We should seek out partnership. It's fine to be in relationship. I'm not saying, you know that you should only be by yourself and be alone and solitude is the only way. That's not what I'm saying. What I'm saying is, and I just said it earlier, if you don't want to be with you, why the fuck would anybody else want to be with you? Like seriously, Like that's it. So maybe take a break from seeking out all these partnerships and take a break from looking for all these heavy partnerships, like when you're young, like, be free, date all the people. Protect yourself, particularly sexually, emotionally, mentally, financially, spiritually, all of elisee. Protect yourself, But just have a good time.
Speaker 2: Date all the.
Speaker 1: Different people to see what kind of person you want, because if you keep getting in all these heavy relationships like you ain't gonna ever get a chance to figure out who you are and what you like because you're spending all this time being with a partner.
Speaker 2: And it's not gonna work out.
Speaker 1: Now, date all the people. Don't be an asshole, but date all of the people. Okay, And that's all Auntie Mimi got to say. Just have a good time. Don't be a jerk, but have a good time. Date around you know, and understand that what your mom and your daddy got is just that, it's what your mom and your daddy got. And understand that what your mom and your daddy got didn't wasn't always roses in tulips. Nobody's relationship is roses and tulips. You have to cultivate a beautiful relationship. You gotta work hard at it. But because you know they probably weren't born, they don't know about the hard part. They just know about how awesome. It looks now. So just day around, have a good time, and work on spending time with you so you know who you are, so that when you get into a relationship it'll be healthy. It'll be healthy, and there'll be freedom in your relationship, trust, honesty, loyalty, because you would have spent time figuring out who you are. And that's all I got to say about that, Friends in Camp. For today's we Got to Do Better segment, I decided to go to one of my favorite books by Susan L. Taylor, who is who used to be the editor in chief of Essence magazine years ago. She's the Beautiful Sister. The last time I quoted from this book, I described her she was the beautiful like caramel complexed or like toffee complexed system that had always wore straight back cornrows very intricately, like almost like they were woven.
Speaker 2: And she had a big forehead and people would make jokes about it.
Speaker 1: But the woman is stunning. She had a large gap in her teeth. I always thought she was so freaking pretty. She is part of the reason that I want my gap back. And I'm going to see if I can get in visiline and get my gap back. But this quote is from her book In the Spirit. If you don't have it, see if you can get your hands on it. It's so beautiful and it's not like a cover or cover read. It's one of my favorite kind of books where you can put it down, pick it up, open a random page, and just read and it feeds your soul. So I'm going to read a quote from that book and it says, and it's a direct quote from Susan L. Taylor, we have to declare ownership of our lives, with conviction and with a force equal to the law of gravity behind it, declay, I am in charge of me, of my thoughts and actions, and I have the power to live my heart's desires. I'm gonna read that one more time for you, Okay. We have to declare ownership of our lives with conviction and with a force equal to the law of gravity behind it, Declare, I am in charge of me, of my thoughts and actions, and I have the power to live my heart's desires. Thank you, sister Susan L. Taylor for that gem, that beautiful piece. The first thing that I want to do is say thank you to God first, because God is supreme, and I recognize and appreciate the grace and mercy that God extends to me every single day of my black ass life. I want to say thank you to my people. I want to say thank you to each and every one of you that's been rocking with me since day one, ever since March the first of twenty twenty. Thank you, thank you, thank you. I appreciate you for being here. And if you just started listening today, I thank you for that as well. Either way, I'm grateful beyond measure. I'm thankful for my family. I'm thankful for my friends, my friends and Ken, all of my supporters, and of course, most importantly, every single.
Speaker 2: One of you guys out there listening.
Speaker 1: I love you so much and it is nothing short of an honor to share my time and energy with you, especially if you keep coming back to spend time with me. I look forward to the next time that we get to do this with one another. Now, before you exit out of whatever streaming service you're using to listen to this, stop what you're doing, and if you haven't already done so, look for the subscribe or follow button click on it if it's an option in the streaming service where you're listening. Next, I want you to go on over to Instagram and follow me at at Handy My Purse Underscore Podcast. Also follow me on Twitter at hmmp Underscore podcast, and on Facebook just search for Handing My Purse podcast, although I'm not very active on Facebook, forgive me for that. If you listen on a streaming service or medium that allows you to do so, please rate and review the show or give it a thumbs up if you can. Please be sure to share Handing My Purse the podcast with your friends, your loved ones, and even your enemies, because honestly the best way for people to find out about this show is by you guys telling them all about it. So tell a friend to tell a friend, to tell a friend. Please submit your questions for the straight fac segment to Hello at Hanmymipurse dot com with the subject line straight Facts, or feel free to send me a DM on Instagram or Twitter. Who knows your question may be featured on an upcoming show. So remember that show notes are always available in the episode description. Wherever you're listening to Handy My Purse, be sure to take a look at the show notes because that is where I put all of the links and the other information that I mentioned during the show that you may want to check out, in addition to some stuff that I just want to share with you, and just an fyi. The opening and closing music for Handy My Purse is provided by none other than West Baltimore's own Gloomy Tunes.
Speaker 2: Friends and Ken.
Speaker 1: I'm looking forward to you looking forward to listening to hand Me My Purse the podcast each and every Tuesday, and I'm out this bitch peace. Handy My Purse is a production of iHeart Podcasts. For more shows from iHeart Podcasts, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.