Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news.
Speaker 2: The Stock Movers podcast. This is your roundup of companies making news on Wall Street and beyond, harnessing the power of Bloomberg data.
Speaker 1: Let's take a look at some stocks on the move today and with us is Bloomberg News cross Asset reporter Denisa Tsikova on Friday's Stock Movers. There were, despite what was a kind of funny day again, some significant stocks that stood out clearly either up or down today. One of the big gainers was Boeing.
Speaker 3: For sure, Boeing was the big news of the day, of course, winning the next generation US fighter contract. What we saw initially US was six percent jump. Some of those gains faded sold the stock close steal three percent higher. That was actually enough to push it into ear today wins gain instead of ear today losses. So that's a small technical thing. What we saw, of course, is we're hearing hundreds of billions of door being spent. We're talking about that new sixth generation fighter jet. President Trump said that this will ensure that the USA continues to dominate the skies. Obviously, this has been ongoing for two years. It's a really big deal. And on the other side of the deal, we have walk Hill Martin, which actually had a pretty tough day. They were down nearly six percent on the day because of bummer.
Speaker 1: Right, they didn't get the deal.
Speaker 3: They didn't get it, and in twenty twenty two there was another contract which they actually get. So there was some expectations there.
Speaker 1: But I love the defense area, right, tim Like it's always the battle for the contract, and sometimes contracts are split among different companies and then other times it's like one clear winner and one clear loser.
Speaker 4: Well, I was watching this this from the Oval office President Trump along with Pete Haigs at the Defense Secretary. This Boeing secret Boeing plan has been flying for the last five years. I was looking for pictures of it. I couldn't find anything. This thing super secret. I want to see this thing.
Speaker 3: There is very little information about the spending as well. We heard one hundred billions from the President, but there has been other figures that have been out there, so it's really hard to tell exactly what's the pun.
Speaker 1: All right, So let's talk about some other decliners. FedEx with certainly front and center. We talked about it throughout our broadcasts as well. You have to talk about it's such a good company to watch a great economic bell Weather.
Speaker 3: Exactly bell Weather. We have weakening consumer affecting them, and we have the trade war really affecting them, and all those words people are so worried about, like inflation, consumer. It's clearly a really good goulge of this. That said, it started the day down about twelve percent. Those losses were paired to about six percent, so there was some relief there. Obviously, the market moved higher as well, so that was.
Speaker 2: Part of it.
Speaker 3: The big negative reaction came after the company lord its full year guidance for a third consecutive quarter, and it's cited inflation, which obviously market participants are very very worried about. The company has big exposure to a lot of things in the global economy. You can imagine with the trade war ongoing and escalating, things get very complicated. And something interesting in their outlook said that in their current outlook they assume that things don't change, don't worsen, so you can imagine if things escalate from here, maybe we can see more pain for the company, which is already down eighteen percent year to date. Staying on the consumer, yeah, Nike again something that we're worried about. The growing trade war. That was something that was mentioned. And we have this big turnover Nike that has been happening for sometimes. Nike shares end of the day five percent lore thanks to a subdued outlook with their third quarter results here today losses are ten percent. That said, there was a lot of optimism. We talked about it quite a few times in this few weeks. They have the Schemes campaign, they had the Super Bowl ad, so there was like a lot of upgrades and people were quite positive on the stock. So there is some underlying optimism, but clearly the weak consumer backdrop the tariffs are putting pressure on yet another retail name.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I keep thinking about that super Bowl ad, right all women, and I do think about We were talking with our cambassy and about, you know, is Nike still relevant? You know, and it seems like their new CEO is out there talking to sports you know, to well known athletes and thinking about I guess how they are using different you know, products from them and how to leverage it. So like you can't like count them out yet.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm kind of excited about the new collection. I'm really spend all my money on gim clothes, so I'm in.
Speaker 1: A Sien's collection.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean, if you think about right, that partnership, like maybe what they can do with it could be pretty pretty cool. I think what's interesting too, is that a lot of these names that you just talked about. You mentioned Nike was down nine percent of lows but finished well off that worst level. Same thing for FedEx, so we did see that happened maybe in the trade right about off the lows for a lot of names today for sure, which is good news.
Speaker 2: The Stock Movers podcast from Bloomberg Radio. Check back with us throughout the day for the latest roundup of companies making news on Wall Street and for the latest market moving headlines. Listen to Bloomberg Radio Live, catch us on YouTube, Bloomberg dot com, and on Applecarplay and Android Auto with the Bloomberg Business app.