Speaker 1: Welcome to the solid verbal. Come that for me. I'm a man, I'm forty. I've heard so many players say, well, I want to be happy. You want to be happy for day? Edith State is that woo whoom? And Dan and Tye, welcome back to the solid verbal boys and girls. My name is ty Hildebrand. Joining me over there in rainy yet still fatherly New York City.
Speaker 2: My man feeling a bit under the weather. Dan Rubinstein, sir, how you doing?
Speaker 1: I am reinvigorated. Tyler Okay, I am feeling good. It's it's been a successful day both as a father and as a general human. We've got good college basketball on TV. We're recording this at around five pm Eastern. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Man, hey, dogs are barking out there. The dogs are barking in your brackets. Hope you picked a bunch of underdogs. Hope you got in on the solid verbal bracket pool. We had I lost count several hundred entries that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's pushing into a thousand.
Speaker 2: Yeah, with a crush at the last second, as per usual, but started off on the right foot by killing off one of my NCAA's survivor pool entries in Louisville going down.
Speaker 1: Loullville, loa. But yeah, off to a good start. Absolutely. It is a fun time of year as what we have teams practicing, you know, spring practice. I know Oregon I think is on a break right now. Has Notre Dame started? I have no idea. It's a good to go there. I have no idea. That's a good answer. Has Penn State started? No idea. Yeah, we have a number of questions both about college football and I don't know, it just felt right now. I'm just getting lazier and lazier about what topics I ask for. I just got a haircut, Like, all right, ask about haircuts? Newborn baby, yep, check got that going on in my life. We got a lot of shows about TV shows, which I didn't ask for, but we got a lot of that. We got some grilling questions. Yeah, there's a lot of good stuff. Oh, I said third dates. I was just curious to see how people would take that. But we have third date questions ty terrific, terrific.
Speaker 2: Well, as you know, it is the college football off season, and what we're trying to do is basically what we did last year, where we did one Q and a show per month. These are typically among the more popular offseason shows that we do because we get to give back to the verbaler hood and answer some questions that are out there.
Speaker 1: Dan.
Speaker 2: As you know, you put out some specific topics of which we received a number of different questions, but we also got a bunch of college football ones.
Speaker 1: And I think that's where we're where we're going to start, because that's where we typically like to start. And maybe we'll even play a little bit of a chime as we go through this to alert people when we maybe make that awkward transition over to non football or more non football material solid verbal after hours, all right, shall we dance? Ah, Let's congratulations, Skippy, you've got mail, You've got mail. On the solid verbal, let's dust off that sound Dan. As often as we can, we like to pay homage.
Speaker 2: Thank you to those of you who write in Solverble at gmail dot com, to those of you who tweet us, who send us notes on Facebook, on Instagram, on Reddit, you name it, anywhere you put the messages. We did our best to go through those, digest them, and for the first time ever, we actually went through and highlighted some of our favorites before hitting the record button, which means we're growing as adults.
Speaker 1: I think that's right. I think that means what was the I guess this is growing up. That's right. Have these moments every now and then we have our damn at moments, and here we are. Do you want to start with transfer talk? I want to start with Quinn.
Speaker 2: Quinn says, does Tate Martel being eligible immediately at Miami opened the door for more slash all transfers not having to sit out a year in the future. So Tate Martel, highly regarded recruit from Ohio State, after the coaching move, after the Justin Fields transfer, Tate Martel decides that he's going to go elsewhere, picks Miami, files a case with the NCAA, is granted immediate eligibility. This is now, I guess, the third high profile transfer in just two seasons to be named immediately eligible, starting with Shaye Patterson, Justin Fields, and now Tate Martel.
Speaker 1: Dan, does this open the door for more of the same? It's slippery slope tie right? Yes and no. My assumption, well, first of all, we don't know what was in Tate Martell's appeal. We have somewhat of an idea that what was in Justin Field's appeal, and we have a good idea of what was in Shape Patterson's appeal. I would say, assume the three most the highest profile cases of appealing for immediate eligibility in the past couple of years, right, correct. I hope I'm not leaving anybody out, but I might be. I don't know. So one, we don't know what's in Tate Martell's actual appeal, but we do know that his head coach retired, and we do know that a quarterback transferred in which doesn't feel like a good enough reason to be immediately eligible elsewhere. But without fully knowing the case, it's hard to fully comment. I also want to believe that many quarterbacks want to succeed at the place they go, that it's not their choice to leave to start over again with a new system, with new friends, new classes, new dating, new social life, learning everything new. And I understand that for somebody as high profile as these guys, it's in their heads a kind of business decision. I got to start. I got to put myself in position to be seen and to succeed and maybe get the attention of NFL scouts.
Speaker 2: The old silas red business decision.
Speaker 1: Sure. Correct, Yes, but there is a part of me that says, well, this sort of changes the dynamic where a player is unhappy and he just leaves. I don't believe players want to be unhappy. I don't players. I don't think players want to just go when they're like not happy for a day. I don't think a lot of these decisions are just impulsive and I'm not happy here, I want to start there. I think a lot goes into these decisions. So to look at it as if like the paradigm is changing and college football is ruined, I think sort of misses it a little bit. That said, I understand the fear. I understand we're like, we have this four star receiver and he's not starting, he's gonna leave. We have this five star quarterback and he's not starting as a true freshman, he's gonna leave. It sucks to have like your future be in doubt constantly. I just don't I'm somewhere I understand that because if an Oregon player were to do this because he was unhappy sitting behind an incumbent starter, like, oh that sucks. It was nice to have that depth and have him be the future someday. But at the same time, you're like, kid realized he made a mistake when he was sixteen, or kid couldn't have seen his offensive coordinator leaving, or his coach retiring, or you know, they're leaving their conference, you know, all sorts of changes that are out of his hands. So I get both sides of it. I really think it's overblown that suddenly we're going to see, you know, all these players transferring without having to sit out a year. I think people are just panicking with sort of a recency bias. It's also March. It is also a lot of panic.
Speaker 2: We got a question from Derek who asks, to your point, is a transfer rule out of control? Are there any real consequences for leaving early? And I think I agree with you now a little bit of recency bias if you want to call it that, given that, again, we've had three very high profile quarterbacks in under two seasons now transfer and be ruled immediately eligible.
Speaker 1: And to reset things, this is Tate Martel immediately eligible transferring from Ohio State, former five star quarterback to Miami to Miami. Yes, thank you.
Speaker 2: I don't think that we are spiraling out of control with this rule. But there's no doubt if you look at what's transpired over the last year or so now, that it seems more attainable. If you're a recruit out there and you're thinking I might want to go elsewhere, it seems like this is at least maybe more doable than it's been in recent memory. So the door has been somewhat opened. I am with you, though I don't think we're quite at the point where it's gotten out of control. And I do think college football is going to need to take a look at this and figure out a way that you can be fair to players right in a way that you know gives them the amount of flexibility. Maybe not to the same degree as coaches who can just leave whenever they want and go elsewhere, but Dixie chicks room to make the big mistake that sort of thing. College football needs to figure out a way to accommodate that.
Speaker 1: And I think there are probably considerations we don't know about in these appeals process, that is, that are presented to the NCAA. If you know, a player gets as good grades and he has never had discipline issues, and there are extenuating circumstances outside of what the public knows, be it with and you know, these sorts of things do leak if it's an illness in the family or whatever. There there's always more to the story than sure, And this is my assumption. Then, yeah, I was unhappy. I want to go to this school now and I want to play tomorrow. Like, I don't think it's a Violet Boregard situation.
Speaker 2: Well, there is usually more nuance to a situation than what you read in the news, and that's probably the case here. There just has to be a happy medium between the old rule where you can't go anywhere without sitting out a year and a full on transfer market.
Speaker 1: And I don't think we're going to basketball either. I don't think it's going to be a situation where you know somebody's going to play for three four different schools. I think that the Tate for CA's and shout out to all the Tate quarterbacks out there that are a little bit shorter for we're going to have to make these jokes if there's a new Tate coming along in twenty twenty one or something. Sure, but it was unfortunate that you know, this is the start of this conversation another tape transferring from the West coast. So yeah, I think that's right, And I really don't see this as you know, the breaking of the dam.
Speaker 2: Breaking of the dam. All right, let's move on, let's go to Graylen. He says, what would be more surprising Arkansas finishing in the top three in the SEC West or Alabama finishing somewhere other than first in the West. Daniel, Yeah, I think this is sort of a no brainer.
Speaker 1: I think Arkansas finishing in the top three. I hate when the radio hosts say I will eat my hat. Yeah, I will eat my shoe. But Arkansas finishing in the top three this year would mean for some pretty apocalyptic goings on in the SEC West, which I don't want to joke about. I don't want to run through. But you're you're obviously talking about weird unforeseen coaching changes and injuries. Because with what Arkansas put on the field last year, I get it changing to a more open offense and a pro style system and getting you know, Chad Morris's guys in the program, and they had what they bring in a top twenty five recruiting classes year nine ten eleven blue chip kids coming in including a four star quarterback and some transfers at quarterback including Nick Starkele from Texas A and m Ben Hicks from SMU. There's just it's not there.
Speaker 2: It's no well, hey right now, oh and eight in conference last year, two and eight. Overall, you look around the west side of the SEC, Alabama's Alabama, lsu A, and M Auburn, all of them are pretty stocked. I'm not going to say Auburn is looking like a ten win team, but all those teams are already starting from a place where they're pretty stocked. Mississippi State and Ole Miss Yeah, I think both in a much better spot than than Arkansas. Again, amid the transition, you would expect some bumps, but to jump into the top three, like you said, it would somehow need to involve an apocalyptic scenario.
Speaker 1: I agree and twenty twenty, twenty twenty one, twenty twenty two. It's conversation we can have, especially if there's a promising quarterback. But right now, it's going to take a lot. It's going to take a lot for that kind of seismic shift because there's just there's too much. There's just too much in the West right now. That is not necessarily excellent in the way that it was I believe in twenty fourteen, but impressively competent. All right, Dan, let's go over to Bob. What a Bob? He says two questions. Do you know I almost named the solid baby Bob? No, and by almost I pitched it. It was immediately shot down with where are you? Are you serious? Did you like Robert or Bob? That's not nice to are Robert and Bob and Bobby listeners? No? I wanted it. Did you pitch Robert or did you pitch Bob? Straight Bob? Huh? Straight baby Bob. I felt like it would catch people off guard. I felt like it could, at least in maybe his social group, like, oh, I like that, so you would have gone Bob not Rob. I don't like it as much. I don't like Bob as much as his actual name, but like in the pitch sessions, it came up as something I liked. Let's go to Bob. Yeah. My questions, can we in all caps? Can we win a playoff game with Brian Kelly as a head coach? This is a notre damer here? Can we win? Who's to say? Mexico State fan.
Speaker 2: With Brian Kelly as our head coach. I know he can get us there, and he's one hundred times better than Charlie Weiss, But can he do it? Secondly, what are proper expectations for the third date? And should they be revised if a person was born in a Latin American We'll get.
Speaker 1: To that question.
Speaker 2: We will get to the third A lot there, Yeah, a lot of meat on that bone. We'll get to that in Soliverble after hours.
Speaker 1: May I before you answer yes, may I ask it in a serious voice? Please serious? Xm ty? Can Brian Kelly get over that hump? Does Brian Kelly have a Clemson and Alabama problem? Can he get Notre Dame from great to elite? Sure?
Speaker 2: It's such a loaded question right now. I think there is such a golf between Alabama and Clemson and the rest of college football. I don't know if Notre Dame.
Speaker 1: I think George's waiting at Georgia.
Speaker 2: George is getting there. They're kind of swimming across the gulf to join the other two.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but they're peering in like what was it Billy Madison or was it Happy gilm or peering in at prom Oh? I think that would be Billy Madison. Okay, there, George's not at prom as a as a top tier team, but they're looking in longingly.
Speaker 2: That's right, they're getting they're swimming across the whatever metaphor you'd like to use, Georgia's knocking on that door. Notre Dame finds itself in pretty good company in that next tier of college football now. I happen to think they need higher level quarterback play than what they got from ian Book. Ian Book was a limiting factor. They've done a lot of work, really good work. Recruiting along the offensive line. Was tough to go up against Clemson because they had four NFL starters, but by and large doing work in the trenches, both offensive and defensive. I think that's a step forward. We still need a little bit more depth, need to see more depth in the secondary because I think that's been an achilles heel for them as well, and they need to find a way to get more playmaking from their guys out wide. I could check the boxes here. A good year, though, we could go we could go for eons about what Notre Dame could tweak to get better. But they made the playoff. They had an undefeated regular season. This is still a good team with a good coach. Bob, You're right, Brian Kelly's one hundred times better than Charlie Weis. I know people dog them all the time, and that's fine, I get it. But there are a few elements of that team that need to be taken up a notch in order for them to really get to that status maintaining it once you get to a Clemson level. If you can get to a Clemson level, maintaining that level is a different story altogether.
Speaker 1: Very few teams can do that. Two points slash questions. One, if you want us to talk about Notre Dame less, ask about your team, Come on. Two, that was a joke. I apologize. Two, you should as I want to say this politely. As a fan who roots for a team who's won a playoff game, I feel like maybe I should be the one to jump in, Oh please, then go ahead, kind of know what it takes. No. Two, Ian Book had a good year. Ian Book was one of the top fourteen fifteen quarterbacks in the country. That's good, absolutely, okay, absolutely so. I don't know if it's all on Ian Book now.
Speaker 2: I'm not putting it all. I'm not putting it all on Ian Brooks. I'm saying that his skill set was a limiting factor. You can only throw so many ten yard outs or pop passes over the middle or screen passes out wide before a defense catches on him throwing deep.
Speaker 1: But is there a quarterback outside of like this year, was there a quarterback outside of Tua? Maybe Haskins, Greer, I guess we can start having a from conversation. But beyond that that you would have swapped into the Notre Dame lineup and said, Okay, he was good. No, I'm not going to play the game where I would rather have. No, I'm not saying rather have what I'm saying realistically, if Will Greer or Jake from or Dwayne Haskins is the Notre Dame quarterback, are they Is that game a game with two minutes left? He any one of those got what was the final score? Thirty to three? Thirty to three?
Speaker 2: Any one of those guys gives Notre Dame more pop on offense because they can throw a better deep ball.
Speaker 1: Are they within four points with two minutes left? Probably? No? Probably not. And then if you look at I just while you were talking You're not the only one who can do things while the other person.
Speaker 2: The problem wasn't so much ian Book as it was trying to stop Trevor Lawrence.
Speaker 1: Right, So if you go back and ian Book could have for certain done more in that game to keep it close, But I don't. I think it was sort of just a foregone conclusion. The two best Notre Dame quarterbacks in two thousand and nine, Deshaun Kaiser in twenty fifteen and Jimmy Classon in two thousand and nine. Do either of them make a difference. I think I'd rather have either of those in ian Book, Okay, but do they make a Is it a competitive situation with them? Again, I'm wondering if it's Probably not. Probably not, because.
Speaker 2: They were up against a buzz saw, a buzz saw that destroyed Alabama in the second half.
Speaker 1: Do you think it's a Brian Kelly quarterback thing that quarterbacks you know are pretty good and have you know, well you can make you could make that case, Dan and two thousand and nine wasn't Clawson was not Brian Kelly by the way.
Speaker 2: Right, No, no, agreed, But you could make a very strong case that no quarterback under his watch has truly lived up to their potential.
Speaker 1: The short answer, after we just gave long answers, is can Notre Dame win a playoff game? Yeah? When they don't have to play Clemson or Alabama? They can win a playoff game if they draw Washington, if they draw Michigan State, if they draw Texas Oklahoma, if it's not Baker Mayfield or Kyler Murray, if they draw whoever, if they're Florida State or Florida. Yes, right now, Clemson and Alabama are nearly impossible, especially with time to prepare, unless you are Clemson or Alabama.
Speaker 2: All right, Well, on that note, Dan, speaking of Clemson, speaking of Alabama, Jay with one of my favorite questions of all time, Oh Spice, at what point does a team win enough games to transition from lovable underdog to a full bond villain? At what point did slash? Does Clemson switch over? This is I love this question, A terrific question, Jay, Thank you so much for listening.
Speaker 1: Let's back up to you. What is your ideal lovable team? What composes an ideal lovable team in not like A They're scrappy and weird to watch two am, not like that? What is your like, I really enjoy everything that's happening with this program and team, specifically on the field, off the field, whatever what goes into that. For Tyler Hildemrant, the underdog component is pretty big to me. Okay, And I'm thinking back to some of those Boise State teams when Boise was really revving up its program. You'll member, bois wasn't always a dog, but they had that underdog appeal because they were a group of five team and they came from from Idaho with the blue turf, and they ran a lot of trick plays that to me, was very lovable a lot of teams, a lot of people were rooting for Boise, I think because of that. But the second component of that, even though they had the underdog appeal, when you actually watched them play, some of those.
Speaker 2: Boise teams balled out on defense. It wasn't just smoking mirrors. They were good. To the old Jared Zabranski like, those were good teams sure that played and won against high level competition. So I think for me as a starting point, it's a combination of having that underdog appeal with not feeling like you're a fluke when you actually watched them out there on the field.
Speaker 1: But if I did to guess you didn't watch a lot of Boise games unless it was a huge one.
Speaker 2: You bite your tongue, sir. I watched a lot of Boise State football.
Speaker 1: I'm not going to tell you I sat and watched all of boys see Utah or BYU if it was a down matchup against one of those teams. Didn't, you know, sit and watch all of Boise, New Mexico whoever. I would see a score in the third, middle of the third quarter, like, oh wow, it's thirty five to thirty one. I'm going to watch the rest of this. I didn't sit down and watch a lot of games that didn't have initial appeal unless it was that early, you know, Virginia Tech, Georgia whoever. And so I think you're right. I think there's a lot of lovability about that team, but I think it's more to me. What makes the team lovable is one I like when teams get over the hump. I like that a lot. And I refer a team once again that never got over the national championship winning hump, but they got over the hump, and that they finally got to that game after coming up short with Mike Bolattia a couple times. I like when a coach has personality that's not condescending, which is tough because that's that's sort of built into the DNA for a lot of these guys. And so as it relates to Clemson, do Clemson get over a hump? Yeah, they did. I think we are uniquely qualified to talk about Clemson getting over certain humps that is for the course of the season. Yeah. I think Clemson there is a likability factor, there's a style of play factor that they check both of those boxes. You got your trick plays. They like the large man plays, you know Christian Wilkins, where they're just they don't take themselves so so seriously that they're willing to get creative. You have Deshaun Watson, who was a very fun quarterback to watch. And there was something about Clemson at least playing probably two to three competitive close games every year that even when they're excellent, you we still know that Clemson has down weeks, whereas the machine that is Alabama football, they would have their Ole Miss week or their Mississippi State week where it would get strange, or a low scoring LSU game but where they stand now to say Alabama football is in a fun, lovable place. It's impressive, it's excellent, but lovable probably not.
Speaker 2: Yes, there's a lovability yeah factor that I think weighs pretty heavily here. It's like, you know, we talk about this a lot with the NFL. The NFL feels corporate and soulless compared to college football.
Speaker 1: You gotta give me some charm.
Speaker 2: You got to have some personality, You got to have something to latch onto. Alabama unless you're already a fan, doesn't really give you that. Whereas Clemson, despite the fact that they've clearly gotten over that proverbial hump, there's still a lot of personality there. Yeah, you're right, and I think it makes it harder to declare them in that bond villain stage is and.
Speaker 1: This is I'm not gonna use lovable. Is Dabo likable charming to you? Do you think do you swing more on the you know, putting up a front full of crap kind of thing with Dabo or genuinely likable charming, you know, is what he projects himself to be. It's the Tebow dilemma. I have no idea who Tim Tebow is I.
Speaker 2: Would say that there is still enough personality and still enough authenticity with Dabbo. Okay that, Yeah, he's lovable, he's likable, there's something to latch onto.
Speaker 1: I think I swing that way as well, but it's nothing that really has had. Like the dancing in the locker room great. I don't go either way on that. It's fun. Sure, the interviews, the catchphrases to bring your own guts, it's fine. That's nothing bad. It's nothing great. The thing that I liked a lot about him where there's like these there's a couple of moments. Remember when he played Steve Spurrier's voicemails to him for a story. Yeah, I love that. That was great. We're like, oh, okay, this guy is not super self serious all of the time. You know, this guy just you know, can let down, was let down. His hair is not a great example because it doesn't have long hair, but I like that there is that element to him. So right now, I think Clemson is not necessarily lovable. I think they're swinging in the machine direction. You know, Trevor Lawrence doesn't have a big personality excellent to watch. I'm not gonna he doesn't have a bad personalities eighteen nineteen years old. Nobody does. But I don't know the personalities yet for this coming season where I can say, Okay, this guy's great, this style is great. The way they're going about this is great. I just want to see what they look like and how they respond to being down three or four early in the fourth quarter. I want that. That, to me is lovable. If you're never in competitive games because you're either terrible or you're just far and away more talented and better coached and more of a machine than everybody else, it's just it's hard for me to love.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Clemson right now is James Bond. They're not the villain.
Speaker 1: I think, yeah they are. They are the coolest team in this moment, I would say, right, I would agree with that. Okay, wow, what a weird path we've taken with this, What a weird path. Indeed, by the way, if you want to blurb us in the twenty nineteen Clemson media guy, Yeah, the coolest team right now or here, just even put it on the walls of your facility. Sure, just give us credit, just give us, just download the pie and we're good. I can't believe we've come this far with Clemson. But yeah, and you know what, here's another factor, and this doesn't tell the whole story. How are teams fans and it's impossible to paint a fan base with a single paint swipe, brother, hold on, hold on, gold On, hold on, hold on.
Speaker 2: As a Notre Dame fan, yeah, I am uniquely qualified to talk about this.
Speaker 1: And you're right, your fans are not the worst.
Speaker 2: They're not the worst. No, but there is a perception among non Notre Dame fans that they're among the worst, and that the program has a bit of a machine institutional quality to it, that some of the personality is boiled off.
Speaker 1: Notre Dame is not likable. Notre Dame does not do much in the likability department. For me.
Speaker 2: There are a lot of factors there that make Notre Dame a lot less likable. Now, right, doesn't affect me, but I get it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, No, I'm with you. There's a preachiness to Notre Dame in general that has nothing really to do with the fact that there are a Catholic institute. Hell, there's a preachiness to Dabbo Sweeney. There is, there is, there is, and that's that's a demerit to me, and I get it, and you know, you take in the whole story. But Notre Dame is a tough ask because of the the in Stuto shutting, you know, like the the the baggage that comes with Notre Dame. And there's a self importance there that I on one level definitely understand accomplished a lot over time, but it's it's a tough ask. Is this a good transition into the like if an alien came down from Earth, and who should you tell this alien to root for in each conference? Well? Okay, here you go. Yeah.
Speaker 2: This one from Wes the Runner on Twitter. Hello Wes, Yeah, if you had zero prior attachment to college football, what team would you root for in each conference?
Speaker 1: Yep? So to your question, Dan, let's start with the American. Let's start with the American. Yeah, pull up the college football standings. Refamiliarize yourself with who's in what conference. Because it's late March, I'm picking from the American right now? Yeah, say it, say it. I guess it's Yen yef right, Nea Matello, It's either or Houston? Yeah, uh, Houston. I don't know. I'm fine with them. They fired their coach real quickly. The Luke Fickle story at Cincinnati is really good. They're chilly at side. Cincinnati's likable if we.
Speaker 2: Frame this though in the context of the alien coming down from outer space, wide eyed looking around college football? Who to root for? The Dana Holgerson Angle at Houston is pretty damn fun. Yeah, no, they're They're going to look fun on offense for sure.
Speaker 1: Can we agree on Houston? I'm gonna go Memphis. To me, Memphis is the most likable. They've played a ton of fun games. They play a wide open offense. I like their quarterbacks. They've put players in the NFL recently, and well Memphis, acc okay, acc, who's the most likable? Lovable? Get on this train and you'll at least enjoy yourself more often than you won't at a minimum.
Speaker 2: Well, we just talked about Clemson. Yeah, there is a there's a likability with Clemson.
Speaker 1: Now, that's that's too bandwagony.
Speaker 2: Miami could be fun. We don't know which direction that's going. Yeah, that's true, but there's a swagger there. There's a bit of any which is weird for Miami, but it's kind of there. I like Manny Diaz Many, even with the departure real quick. The Q's thing is interesting because I like Dino, I like the style. I like that they weirdly play in a dome. I mean, I understand it's Western New York.
Speaker 1: But the Syracuse thing is they're competitive. They take good teams down to the wire or they beat them. And they are a team who was super down and now they've become pretty competitive most of the time. I did watch the Notre Dame game and that was Syracue.
Speaker 2: Sort of is the team that you would pick if you are an alien, isn't it?
Speaker 1: I think so? Yeah, it's moved. Yeah, okay, next, Big twelve. I think this is easy. Big twelve. Who are you going with? I go clones and I don't think twice. Yeah, that quarterback who became an All American linebacker there, they were terrible or just maddeningly maddeningly inconsistent. They take down giants. They play a fun style, at least defensively. They switched over to that dime a couple of years ago. On board that was pretty difficult. Big twelve has a lot of pretty likable teams, fun teams to get behind, you throw out Oklahoma and Texas just because then you're just jumping on. It's got to be Iowa State. I think it's Iowa State. TCU's kind of close for me, but I know you have too much in the in your past with TCU. Big ten is Perdue. I'm scanning Wisconsin's real fun. If you're gonna pick Iowa State, you gotta pick Perdue. I like Purdue, and I like the strides that they've taken. I like the big upset from last year. But if I'm telling somebody to get on board with the culture and the experience of being a fan of this team, you just picked Syracuse. I know. But right now, as it stands, right now, they are enjoyable. Purdue is Purdue beats Ohio State, and then they lose to some to three somebodies in a dumb way. I don't know if they're a Paul Abdul team. I think it steps forward, one step back. I just do Okay, so agree to disagree. Conference USA. I'm going to stay North Texas. Yeah, it's a good answer. I think it. Yeah. I do like the North Texas answer. We won't count. We won't count in real early with Charlotte, right now Mid American Conference or the MAC as it's known, root for this team. They're likable, they're fun, they're an enjoyable watch. You're not jumping on a bandwagon, you're not killing yourself. The turnaround that Eastern's had these past few years makes it interesting for me as well as Buffalo. Buffalo's gotten. I think Buffalo's my answer and that yes, they won their division last year and they've recruited well, but the fact that their coach comes over from what Wisconsin Whitewater and immediately transforms a super down program, and Buffalo's good answer. We're sticking with what is it Western New York? Yeah? Great? Uh.
Speaker 2: Boise State is my Mountain West team. I know it's cliche, but I just waxed poetic about how I love Boise State back in the days of Jared Zebranski, I have to go with the Broncos.
Speaker 1: Utah State would have been interesting with them keeping their coach, but going back to Gary Anderson, I don't know about that. Hawaii I like Rolovich, I'm fine with it. I think Fresno State and what Jeff Tedford has done. I've always liked the San Joaquin Valley Central California. Fresno's my pick. Let's go to the PAC twelve here, and I just I have I have a fondness for Pat Hill. Yeah, okay, okay, PAC twelve. PAC twelve.
Speaker 2: I feel like because I went Houston, mm hmm, and because we also talked about the alien quality of Syracuse, Washington State is a pretty strong selection here.
Speaker 1: Washington State's not bad. You have a ceiling, but you're your fun a fun watch. You are in every game you should be except perhaps the Apple Cup. Lazzo is a very good answer. I think Arizona State's also a good answer, buying into that Herm mentality, aren't you. I don't know if it's because of Herm's that's I like that there is potential at Arizona State for winning the South, especially with some Ustula and USC down I like, I mean, I like everything about the Greater Phoenix, Tempe, Scottsdale, that whole area. So if I'm picking one, it's probably Wazoo. And if after year one Mel Tucker has this team at seven and five, eight and four, I love Colorado. I just can't in late March twenty nineteen, but Colorado would be my answer. Probably who is decent Colorado fan. And finally, who is the most I guess not Finally, We've got one other one. Who is the most exciting team? If you're an alien in the SEC, in the SEC, get on board now, you go have a good time rooting for them. You're not jumping on a bandwagon. O. God, this is rough. I think it might be Florida. I'll take Mississippi State, all right with Joe Moorehead. I know I was gonna say Florida or Mississippi State. I don't know. If you got the klanga klanga you have, you know Florida's not bad. But again, you're talking about a team that's won two national championships in the last you know, a little over a decade. Yeah, as it stands now, I wouldn't mind. God, it is weird to say it, but Mississippi State for me, with the creativity of Joe Moorehead, with the unique nature of fandom and Starkville, I wouldn't hate that situation. If they continue their trajectory of winning eight nine games, if they remain a comfortable team, I would love to be on board.
Speaker 2: I think the argument against Mississippi State, quite frankly, is that Joe moorehead may not be there five years from now.
Speaker 1: It's hard to keep top top guys, Whereas I think Dan Mullen will be at Florida it's totally reasonable. And finally the Sun Belt. Dan, Yeah, you're gonna go app State. Your boy left, You're gonna go app State. We had turnover turnover at app State. Then we have turnover at Troy with Neil Brown leaving. Sure, yeah, uh, I mean I think I like Eli Drinkwitz. I don't know a lot about him at app State. Georgia Southern is scratching an itch for me. I've liked Blake. The Blake Anderson thing at Arkansas State has also been a secretly pretty fun watch. Couldn't tell you I'm an expert on all things Blake Anderson. But the job he's done with the Red Wolves. Let's go Redman. Let's pickin Arkansas State, maybe Georgia Southern.
Speaker 2: All right, So we disagree on Houston or Memphis. We disagree on Boise or Fresno, on Wazoo or Colorado, although you kind of agreed with Wazoo, yeah, or Mississippi State, but otherwise we sort of agree on Qes Iowa State, Purdue North Texas, Buffalo in Arkansas State. Yes, correct, All right, Dan, before we go any further, what is your motto in life?
Speaker 1: You're only as comfortable as your feet tie. That is right, sir, I am. I'm no joke wearing the product that you were about to talk about as we speak.
Speaker 2: I don't know how often people out there talk about their socks dand.
Speaker 1: It should be a lot more for like we used to be.
Speaker 2: Maybe you didn't talk about it a whole lot, but then we discovered Bombas. Bombas has been a sponsor of the show for eons now eons, one of our earliest sponsors, and we have had the good fortune of wearing Bomba sucks. I'm actually wearing mine right now.
Speaker 1: Wow, and company men, believe me.
Speaker 2: I'm not just making that up. They are the most comfortable socks in the history of feet, as they like to say. They're made of super soft, natural cotton. Every pair comes with arch support, a seamless toe, a cushion footbed that's comfortable but not too thick. They've got a bunch of different colors, patterns, lengths, styles, you name it. They look great at the gym. I wear them to the office. Not a shame to admit that.
Speaker 1: That's fine. You should.
Speaker 2: They're very comfortable to travel out of town with whatever the situation. They've got you covered. They are what feet daydream about. They've got me saying that here on the script, But I'm telling you if feet could daydream, it would not surprise me. Best of all, every time you buy a pair of Bombas is going to donate a pair to somebody in need, which is a really cool thing. Hell yeah, I cannot emphasize this enough. By yourself a pair of Bombas socks at Bombas dot com slash Solid today and you're gonna get twenty percent off your very first purchase. It's Bombas bom Bas dot com slash Solid. You're gonna get twenty percent off one more time. Bombas dot Com. Bombas dot Com Slash Solid, the most comfortable socks in the history of feet. Dan, You're gonna look into your sock drawer and say to yourself, you know what.
Speaker 1: These shouldn't be here anymore. These need to be replaced, but you might not have that solution in your head, and so they just stay in your drawer. They just stay there and stay there and stay there. Check your text messages, Ty, what do you see? You know what, I don't have my phone on me first time. Okay, so when you goog go check your messages after the show, you will see I sent you a picture of my feet because I know you're into that. Okay, they are wearing Bombas socks. I gave you proof. Wow, you can check the time stamp. It all adds up. There you go, do it, Bambus Bombas.
Speaker 2: Do we want to go to this question from Ted at the very top of the dock?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Can we go to Let's go to Ted momentarily. I want to ask Yeah, I'll ask you this question that I'll try my best answered as well from Patrick came to the inbox the Jersey Mics eat thoroughly box. Uh, That's the best I could do. Patrick wants to say, Hi, guys, big fan of the podcast. Yeses, I had a question for your upcoming Q and A show. Several times I've heard Dan use the term quote infrastructure when describing either problems deep within a program or a new coaches from the ground up rebuild for a program or of a program. What does that term mean to you? Ty? What kinds of things are you referring to that might not be obvious to the casual fan. I gather it goes beyond player evaluation and on field coaching staff. What else is involved? What other personnel is it? Buildings, facilities, aspects of the program, like academic support. If you're talking about the bones of the program, what does that skeleton look like? Well, he hit on a number of things.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he covered a lot of things in his question. On a very fundamental level, to me, it is commitment to the program, and oftentimes commitment to a program translates to dollars definitely. What kind of financial commitment is an institution willing to put forth to better their football program. We've got very obvious examples like Texas. We've got very obvious examples like Georgia, like Clemson, schools that have very notably put forth a pretty large commitment to the football program. A lot of D one schools fall into that category. But it starts there, and oftentimes it trickles down into actual infrastructure things that we might talk about, such as facilities. Using the Clemson example, No.
Speaker 1: I think all that is right. I would say, if I had to boil it down to what what does infrastructure mean? To you, it is from the top down, there's going to be a vision, whether it's athletic director, whether it's president of the school, whether it's chancellor, all the way down, and then obviously to the head coach and how empowered the head coaches to both have a solid good vision, a winning vision, a sensical vision, and how well he is supported. Like you mentioned, in every facet of making players want to be there, want to commit to the team, whether it's academics, whether it's the coach is very clear to his assistance about what he expects, both as you know, as for player development, as for recruiting, as for academics, as for staying on this player about this, you know, as for hiring a strength coach and say this is what I want out of them, X, Y and Z. This is how we're going to discipline. This is how we are going to communicate with our players about what we're doing, why we're doing it, This is how we're going to meet. This is when we're going to meet. This is how we're going to practice. This is why we're practicing this way. You know, this is you know our schedule on Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, what is what is the actual organization. Does everybody understand what is expected of them and how well is that supplied for the players, whether it's nutrition, academics, facilities, whatever, it's a commitment to the vision. And you know, when we had Andy Staples on to talk about I think Dabosweeney. We talked about Dabosweeny a while back and whether or not he was buying into this, and I was like, why don't coaches leave Clemson. We don't leave Clemson because they have a good life, They get paid, their families are welcomed at like Family Night. Not to talk about how cool Clemson is once again, but there is a clear infrastructure where everybody understands what the program is and is trying to do. And when you look at programs that lose a lot, it can be money, it can be lack of vision, it can be lack of communication, and it can be lack of support for all of the above, and oftentimes it is and so it's bad hiring, it is bad communication, and it is trying to cut corners because of Okay, it's going to cost too much or you know, something went wrong along the chain. And if a pro has that solid chain and it's become harder and harder to because there is such a crazy arms race with everything. Then they are most likely going to be not only a consistent Bowl team, but they're going to beat more good teams than not. And to me, that is what infrastructure is. And I will take at least a four on this infrastructure ap test.
Speaker 2: I would echo your sentiment around vision. The budget can buy you the tools that you need to put together a successful program, you need the vision to tie it all together. Case in point, Texas has a huge budget, you could argue they haven't had that vision or at least the vision wasn't successful.
Speaker 1: Right, A good vision, A good vision.
Speaker 2: I would also argue that Tom Herman's got them going in a good direction, that we're going to start sending a better return on that investment in the years to come. But you can trast a school like a Texas with a school like in Ohio State, with a school like a Clemson where clearly the commitment is there and the vision is also there or has been there leading that program to new heights, and.
Speaker 1: You can't talk about Tom Herman tearing down and restarting the infrastructure at Texas without a clip of him struggling with a sledgehammer. That's right, that's right. Set infrastructure literally in the locker room. So very good question. There is that commitment. Yeah, next, we have Ted right.
Speaker 2: Ted says, you guys often answer questions from the same folks I assume unknowingly. For instance, this week, the Audible podcast and podcast Ain't Played Nobody both addressed a question on Tennessee and Nebraska being sleeping giants. In past episodes, the Solid Verbal and podcast Ain't Played Nobody both answered questions from regular submitters, which leads me to ask, do you not have the time or ability to listen to each other's podcasts despite knowing each other and being friendly? From what I observe, my question, either for here or on your respective shows, is do you listen to other podcasts college football podcasts? And if so, even if it is taboo to say in fear that you drive away listeners?
Speaker 1: Which one.
Speaker 2: So there's a lot to unpack here. I would also add that Ted did not just send this email to us, He also addressed it to our friends over at podcasting and played Nobody as well as the Audible Dan.
Speaker 1: So a lot here. Where do you want to start with? Honesty, tie, I guess I have, and I still do sometimes, but I do far less than I used to. And it's not I like a lot like Bill c and Godfree and Stu and Bruce Chip Patterson does a wonderful podcast for CBS. My problem is one, I have less time. Two I get to listen to my favorite college football podcasts with better audio than anybody else. And that's this one and three. I'm a comedy nerd as an unfunny person, I say this, and I read a lot of interviews with comedians and comedic actors and writers and stuff like that, and there's something that a lot of them say that they don't watch a lot of comedies. They really like dramas or thrillers or horror movies or whatever because they don't want to feel bad about their own show. They don't want jokes, you know, through osmosis or whatever creeping into their brain. And I find myself agreeing that I don't want Godfrey's opinion about something or Bruce's opinion about something changing how I feel about something organically, because he planted a seed, one of them planted a seed in me. I think there's a ton of use in other college football podcasts for whatever you're into about college football, But I just like listening to other things. College football is how I spend so much of my time professionally that I like going in a complete different direction. I love NBA podcasts. I will recommend Open Floor with our friends Ben Golliver and Andrew Sharp until I'm blue in the face. But for college football, I just that's not where I go generally podcast wise. I'm with you. I like the solid verbal. I'm with you.
Speaker 2: I too, prefer the solid verbal. I dabble with other shows, and not just not just the two that are on this list. I like to dabble with college football shows just to see what people are doing.
Speaker 1: Do you like sending me snarky text messages about their audio quality? Sometimes?
Speaker 2: I do that sometimes sometimes, But I do like to dabble, and I like to see what other people are doing, just from a raw idea standpoint. Sure, I always feel, if I'm being honest, like I don't have the kind of time that I need to be fully up to speed with the information the way others are. And that's because I have the mysterious day job. Right, you just run out of time. If I'm listening to other shows. It is generally not about college football, and it is generally not even about sports.
Speaker 1: Now, before you go on, do you want to play the solid verbal after hours music? So anybody who's done who only wants to hear.
Speaker 2: That, we can play it the after hours music. Yeah, and we're back there you go, yeah, no, yeah, you are free to go. If you were here for college football.
Speaker 1: Yeah, take take off. Thanks for the download, Thanks for listening. We treasure and appreciate you. Thank you. Give me your favorite space show. How's Neil de grass Tyson's.
Speaker 2: Neil de grass Tyson. He's got a huge podcast, right, that has a huge podcast. Yeah, I listened to that one for a while.
Speaker 1: That was sort of my go to.
Speaker 2: Okay, it's not even space based shows. It's just anything that pertains to outer space.
Speaker 1: I'll listen to. So what are you most excited space wise when a new episode goes up?
Speaker 2: If you could give me anything on space travel, if you could give me anything on like aliens, if you can give me anything in that vein, I'll pump it right into the vein.
Speaker 1: Black holes, wormholes, Let's do it, anti matter, let's do it. Okay, fair, I like Malcolm Gladwell's podcast A good deal Revision's History. Yeah, think it does a good job with that. I like listen. I don't love media criticism, and I try to stay away from a lot of media naval gazing. But our pal Jimmy Traina does a nice job at sh Jimmy Sure, Sure. I really enjoyed the startup podcast Gimblet who now they're all wearing gold chains. Ray podcast Money I like. I found I find podcasts on YouTube more than I ever did. There's a there's like a group of comedians in LA and I don't watch them all that much, but I find Tom Sagora to be really funny, and so I found his podcasts Your Mom's House, that he does with his wife, Chris Positski. They're both comedians. They're great when if chemistry is the secret sauce a married couple, if they can pull it off, is great. So I really like Your Mom's House. It's not safe for work, and they go into I don't agree with everything, they go into places that are just wonderful. Who else do I like in terms of podcasts?
Speaker 2: I like, Yeah, obviously my brother, my brother and me, we've talked about them. Love my Bam bam yep, until we're you know, blue in the face. We've talked about them, YEA. Love to go to a live show if they ever come up in the world. Ben, I started listening to fantasy baseball podcasts because it's that time of year again.
Speaker 1: Yeah, are you in a league?
Speaker 2: I'm in many, many leagues, Dan, I'm in three leagues. It's too many. I shouldn't be in three leagues.
Speaker 1: What's the best fantasy baseball podcast? The best one that I found is on CBS Sports. Who does it? Adam Aser and some of the other guys that write for CBS. How long is is it daily?
Speaker 2: I think it's daily. I haven't listened long enough to know. But it's questionable audio quality at times, but really good information, which is really the only time I'm willing to make that trade off. But right, good chemistry, great information. That has sort of been my go to on the fantasy side.
Speaker 1: Have you listened to Business Wars on occasion? It's good, it's good boundary network does it? Business Wars highly recommend they just like, Hey, it's Monster Energy versus Red Bull. Did you listen to did you listen to Doctor Death? Speaking of wondery. I have not, but I've heard wonderful things. Yeah, I listened to that A good job. Yeah, I think they're the same network. They do Dirty John as well. Right, yep, yep, listen to that one too, good stuff. That's uh Jody with And I is currently listening to the Farrah Noose. Okay, the what's her name Elizabeth Holmes? Yeah, yeah, I haven't watched the HBO documentary about Elizabeth Holmes and Therapnose yet, but I've listened to the podcast, and I watched the ABC like twenty twenty special. Yeah it rules. Okay, it's so good, this whole thing. I don't know why I appreciate a good fraud story. Oh is it good?
Speaker 2: It's the fire Festival of Technology essentially.
Speaker 1: Indeed it is ty, Indeed it is. I'm trying to think if there's any other You mentioned what Kate likes the was it Dax Shepherd's Shack Shepherd Armchair Expert. Yeah, yeah, that's what you said. I haven't listened yet, but no, apparently it's good. So yeah, those are some All right, Well, write in give us suggestions. Let's go to give suggestions. We're open to everything.
Speaker 2: Jonathan I love this question from Jonathan. Let's imagine you had the opportunity to guarantee your team a spot in the college football playoff next season.
Speaker 1: Oh man, I know where we're going.
Speaker 2: But in order to do so, you have to choose between one of the below options. One with no control or advanced notice on your end. One day each month, you will go through an entire day with a wedgie. Uh huh, a wedgie that is visible to all and cannot be picked or adjusted, So.
Speaker 1: Your underwear is coming out of your pants. Everybody sees it and like in an aggressive and dramatic way, and you can do nothing to change it.
Speaker 2: Or perhaps you're at your mysterious day job and it's such a weggie that you can kind of see it from the outside, not just the underpants, but maybe your khaki's just.
Speaker 1: Wedged up in there. Or two.
Speaker 2: One day during the year, you will be victim of a public melvin aka atomic weggie. It can be at any moment of the day, and Andy's setting, a job interview, a church service, etc. And again you have no advanced notice. Which do you choose?
Speaker 1: Dan to me, this is sort of a no brainer. Is an atomic wedgie still a thing without wearing your traditional boxer shorts or tidy whities. Can it be still a thing with boxer briefs the way they're structured. I'm not sure. I'm old and washed. I believe it could be. It probably is.
Speaker 2: I was hard a time and layout distinguishing between just a regular wedgie and an atomic.
Speaker 1: Atomic goes olders are ahead, you pull it up, way way up. You're stretching the bands to sort of give yourself or give not yourself but the other person, like a Cornholio with said underpants.
Speaker 2: I think i'd go atomic weggie. I think you have to go atomic weggie one day during the year. It just says one day day pay versus one day each month where you have to go through a full day, Like that's something the CIA does to get information out of people. Well, I mean we've both had our teams in the playoff, right, sure, so this is not you as a North Carolina State fan me as a cal fan, where like it really hasn't been close and saying, oh man, what I would do for me the playoff game sort of was the atomic weggie.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's that's a pretty clear concept. I take the one day and I'll I mean, it's just it's a day, it's more violent. But here's the other thing. I am never in a play. So I work for a number of companies now, but I'm never really in a place where I would be embarrassed about much. I'm either working for my apartment or I now work at an office, but it's like a coworking space type of office. And if you were to say, hey, do you know anybody? What are their names? I would tell you Nope, and couldn't tell you. So the embarrassment factor for me is pretty low, So I would take the one day that's wild. I would probably not show up the next day, and the day after that we're like, are you the maybe not maybe I don't remember, and that would be that. See.
Speaker 2: But once you get to our ripe old age, Dan, right, the wedgie stops being a funny thing. Like if somebody came and pulled my underwear up to my shoulders unannounced. Iff, Yeah, some guys with trench coats got out of a van right and just did this to me. In most places that I think i'd find myself, people will be alarmed by that. I wouldn't even need to feel embarrassed. People would feel sorry for me.
Speaker 1: Remember the time in I mean, we're roughly the same age in popular TV shows and cartoons where pantsing was a thing, and not only would it be a pantsing, it would reveal hilarious heart boxer shorts. Yeah that's right, that's right. That was the thing, you know, across many shows. So let's let's do this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Weggie versus pantsing, which is worse.
Speaker 1: It's definitely Weggie. There's no pain in pantsing. You're like, oh, you pulled out my pants and yep, it considerable that I'm wearing black boxer briefs all fact. Well, you're saying Weggi's worse. Yeah, but I mean, as try to answer this question if you're fourteen. Weggie versus the feared Tapper.
Speaker 2: Tapper's rough the aka the Bangkok. I went probably two years of my adolescent life in constant fear of the Tapper.
Speaker 1: What one specific person doing it or that just became the culture. It was just I was just the culture. Yeah. Oh, infrastructure at Northampton High School. Yeah, a lot to be control. Nope, zero, what else do we got here?
Speaker 2: Tapper versus falling asleep and having someone drow in your face?
Speaker 1: Uh, oh man. In high school, middle school, probably tappers over quickly, you don't. If you're not watching that off, you're you might be known as like, hey, you have the butt cheek, but your sharpy butt cheek guy right for like three straight years. So yeah, probably tapper tapper versus dead leg Oh god, I got so many dead legs in high school. Yeah, I know, people are just shocked to hear this. That was the big thing at my school. It was dead legs and dead arms. Yeah, and it was the freaking worst. Where do you want to go next? All right? I asked people to ask us about haircuts. How much you pay for your haircut dollars plus tip? Okay, I pay thirty one probably, I mean you adjust for New York. But how much would you how much do you tip on twenty not twenty percent? So you're thrown in four bucks? Usually? Yeah? Yeah, I do five, six, seven, depending on how happy I am with it. I think that's pretty nice. Where's the question about timing a haircut? Oh? Okay? Yeah, so the question was what is the timing like of a haircut? Like, let's say you have a graduation, you have a wedding, you have some you're going on TV. You're appearing on camera for whatever reason you are, you know, going on a first date that you know about a week or two ahead, and you know you need a haircut and you want to look good. What how far in advanced you get that haircut that your hair looks optimal to U to I guess both look great. Recover from a bad haircut or a bad part of your haircut. You need to have that recovery built in. Look like your truest self. Because I should have done. I did a week before my wedding, and I should it done.
Speaker 2: Toot gotta go a week and a half. Yeah, I think the half week and a half for me is right in the sweet spot. But this, by the way, this might be my favorite question we received all years.
Speaker 1: So far from Todd. What's the worst haircut you've received When I was younger? I had When I was younger, I had a bowl cut that I was very proud of. Was it and from an actual hair cuttery or was it from a family member? No, No, it was from a licensed haircutter person. Where was it given?
Speaker 2: It was given at the old place he used to go to get my haircut.
Speaker 1: Okay, I was really hoping you like was good.
Speaker 2: But here to your point, The worst haircut I got was when I first started going to this place. It was going to a new place after the old woman who cut my hair retired from cutting hair. Yep, And I walked into this joint and I had a bowl cut I was very proud.
Speaker 1: Of mm hmmm. And she proceeded to cut it off and I was crestfallen. Dan, have you ever gotten a haircut that was so bad where you look at it and you're like, just buzz it all. I've never had that. I've never that was your hair.
Speaker 2: No, but that was probably the closest I've ever been.
Speaker 1: I've done that my worst haircut. When I moved to New York. I made the mistake of going to a place that it's just like, oh, it has good YELP reviews. Yeah, and the person cutting my hair, I could not communicate with them in the way that I wanted to about what I wanted, and I ended up with a pretty significant, like high top fade. It was. It was it was bad enough that, like, you never really noticed when somebody gets a bad haircut, unless it's a really bad haircut, Unless it's noticeably and dramatically different than a person's normal look. And I remember I went to like a backyard cookout, barbecue whatever. I don't care about the nomenclature. And my friend Lindsey, who by the way, tied it to the solid verbal, did the voice for our first Was it the fantasy things? Who did? It? Wasn't fantasy things? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Well I forget what it was. Yeah, it was fantasy thing, I forget, but she did think it was maybe.
Speaker 1: She looked at me, and I didn't think. I thought I looked different, but not dramatically different. And she looked at me and she started laughing hysterically, and she said, who did you hurt to have this done to you? Who held you down against your will and tortured your scalp? It was really bad. It was very bad. I wore hats for a couple of weeks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, week and a half, though you get what you paid half week and half. Yeah, okay, let's.
Speaker 1: Go to this one. Well we can ask me and Sean asked a question like that because we were talking about fantasy things. Yeah, please name your top five solid verbal episodes. Let's pat ourselves on the back. What are you most proud of? Either recently or in the history the show I am very proud of. I can't rank them from one to but the history of the solid verbal time go back in the history of the solid verbal. What's your favorite the show where we talked about the history. I love that episode. It was fun. It was a fun one.
Speaker 2: I love that episode history of I really enjoyed the Live Fantasy Things show that we did in Chicago.
Speaker 1: That was wonderful. Shout out Nate Stanley. Yeah, this past August. That was a good one for me.
Speaker 2: I really enjoyed speaking of like the serial and s Town mold of podcasting. I really enjoyed the recruiting show that we.
Speaker 1: Did, Yes, absolutely with Lindsay Theory and Brendan Huffman. We had a dad of a Blue Chipper on. Yeah. Really enjoyed doing that show. But Elliott was on that. Yep, what else? I love the verbies from Radio City Musical. Oh, that was so good. I thought that was a revelation.
Speaker 2: That's right, that was our first pray into the like world of post production.
Speaker 1: Yes, I thought that was a tremendous show. I thought the Emo Show with Bill Barnwell was exceptionally fun. My favorite shows are the ones that aren't necessarily themed. But sometimes we will randomly just hit a groove with a show in like a week seven recap show or a week eleven preview show where I catch you shot out of a cannon. I feel good and we are just Stockton and stocked in. We're just we're just passing the ball back and forth and nobody's really taking good shots, but we are. We're running the two man, we even a fun way. Those are generally my favorites, but in terms of theme shows, those are up. I love the Secret Garbage Show. Yeah, yeah, right. The Secret Garbage Show with a secret garbage bracket was quite fun. I remember exactly where I was when we recorded it, which is a good sign. So we are going to we have a lot of time before the season start, so we're gonna be doing more fun shows. I thought last year's show so last year. I believe it was last year where I did it solo, and believe me, it was not my favorite show because of me, one of my favorites. But when we had Chrispy Brown on to talk about communication in terms of recent shows, like where you really got nerdy information, that was that was one of my favorites to just be involved and not to actually host.
Speaker 2: All right, let's close it out with this one. Yeah, unless you've got a bunch more you want to get to this one.
Speaker 1: I got a bunchy. We'll do it quickly.
Speaker 2: Let me close out my portion of this with this question. Got any favorite moments from the old NCAA video game series? A favorite game you played? Building a Bama crushing powerhouse out of a lollly G five team, et cetera, et cetera. I had a situation. I found a glitch back in the day. Yeah, I was in college. I want to say it was my sophomore or junior year, and I did the thing that I'm sure a lot of guys did in college. We started a group dynasty. Everyone picked their team. You would trade off and on with the controller recruiting your guys, handed off to someone else, and move move on. Sometimes you'd be up till three am.
Speaker 1: You know how it is.
Speaker 2: Back in the day, Dan, I picked Arizona State, huh, because I think there was a limit on the number of stars your program could have. Maybe they were like a three star, two star at the time. I don't remember, but I found a glitch I didn't like most of my players. You're a big glitch finder, that's low key what defines you. You're about finding life's glitches and exploit I sort of am yeah now that you mention it. Yeah, I found a glitch and I didn't mean to. But the glitch was that if you cut too many players, you could sort of implode a program m. I didn't like most of my team, and I cut more than I had to. What was the number fifty four or fifty five you had to.
Speaker 1: Get down to?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I took my team all the way down to about thirty six.
Speaker 1: Oh god. And I never really recovered from that, dan uh huh.
Speaker 2: Never really recovered from that, And I found myself in a situation where I had essentially broken the game. That to me was probably my favorite moment.
Speaker 1: Not because of Donkey Kong killscreen.
Speaker 2: Exactly, not because I had any great accomplishment right on the field, but because I had done something that nobody else there could have ever envisioned, and I literally broke the team.
Speaker 1: The only real like, I don't have any fond memories about playing it by myself or playing it online against people. It's fine. It's fun in college with the original tie shout out Mike, who was my co host on the college radio show Morning Wood at the University of Oregon. We would play all the time, and he liked after he would intercept a ball, he would say interception special, like, you know, he had a secret play that couldn't help but have an interception as a result of the play. And I caught onto it, and it was like he just would call it quarters coverage or something like that. He would basically call whatever had the most colorful circles in the defensive backfield. Sure, and I would just run down his throat and then he effectively stopped saying interception special after saying it for like a year, and it angered him to such a crazy degree. Not a huge, huge football fan, but he thought he had stumbled upon his own personal glitch, that's right, And then I just murdered him. The other thing is I would it was two thousand and four, so it would have been NCAA two thousand and four, So the year is two thousand and three. It was a simpler time, ty us. He was unbeatable. And if you would call like a wide receiver screen followed up by neither a slant or like a go route with not Mike Williams, but Ang Williams. He was just unbeatable. And that was again against Mike the non interception special and it just tortured him. It was wonderful.
Speaker 2: Back in about maybe two thousand and six, two thousand and seven, I had a group dynasty and online dynasty type of setup and my team I think was Penn State at the time, playing with about six or seven other guys mm hmm. I recruited Leon Johnson, a dual threat quarterback class was a tank, a t bow build. Yeah, and he was virtually unstoppable. That that singular moment that recruit changed the history of my program forever. Leon Johnson. You still remember his face. I still remember his fake name to this day.
Speaker 1: What was the name of it was, Jerem It was Jeremy Liggins. Ask you remember Jeremy Liggins. I do. He was pushing three three bills and playing quarterback and I think he was a JC and that went to Ole Miss. Yeah. So you had the proto Jeremy Lincolns. I did you had proto Jeremy.
Speaker 2: I still remember his name and think about him fondly.
Speaker 1: Have you ever played in a video game tournament. No really, that's a shocking answer. Not an official tournament. But you've never gone to like an arcade or a baseball card store, or never have I have? I thought I was amazing at Techmo super Bowl. I just beat up the computer all day, every day, beat up my brothers all day. Every day I went to It was like a comic card store. They set up a bunch of TVs just in my neighborhood, just in the San Fernando Valley, and played in a Techmo super Bowl tournament. They wiped the floor with me. I was the mop. I got killed so thoroughly every time there was like a loser's bracket. Nope, gone that that that humbled me. Tie. Also played in a Magic the Gathering tournament there, okay, sure how about that? Yeah, also didn't fare super well. Okay, but you know what you gotta try. You gotta you know, shoot or shoot. That's what I did. Let's go rapid fire. You got like, okay, soliverbal after hours, I got a few of these, Okay, this one I really liked. Well, hold on, I got a couple. Let's rapid fire. We got one about snaps versus buttons for baby like onesies and outfits. Okay, I'm gonna take you one step further. Magnets. They're a thing. They have magnetic baby onesies where you just basically get the two sides of the top close and they just snapshot. Eventually, I'm gonna have to teach the solid baby how to button up and snap up shirt or whatever. Right but right now it's magic. What is them? Random slash best slash TV show movie whatever? Dan has watched while up at odd hours with the new baby. I watch a lot of YouTube on my TV. I watch food shows. Munchies does a really good job. Bonappetite does a great job. There's a show called It's Alive with Brad Leoni. It's amazing, Binging with Babbish, he does a great job. I watch food shows the most random though. Those all food shows. Food video that seems obvious for me to answer with, and just everybody knows that exists. I had a stretch where I was up pretty consistently at like three four am, feeding and soothing whatever, and I stumbled on, conservatively it's an hour and a half, it might be an hour forty a. Essentially, it's a documentary that do you know what Ernie Ball is. No, I have no idea. Ernie Ball is a company that makes guitar strings. Okay, Ernie Ball did it documentary, and I assume they've done a bunch of these with a bunch of different guitar players and musicians and stuff. They did it documentary with and about and it's all first person. So he participated with Tom DeLong Blink onin eighty two, and this is relatively recently, long after he left Blink, and it was about the entire Blink history with photos and videos and everything like that and stories and then talking about the breakup essentially, I know Blink still exists with Matt Skiba, but it got pretty heavy and then he went into like his new gig, the new company he started basically trying to uncover CIA secrets about aliens and goes completely off off kilter. And this was over the course of whatever it is, four or five six feedings where I'm just nerding out watching a Tom DeLong documentary on YouTube. Those are the depths that you will go to just like play with your brain just enough to stay awake. But also, okay, yes, you're dealing with the bottle cool. So I think that's the most random thing. I also watch a lot of photography, like really nerdy photography videos like Jody with and I will walk into the room and I'm watching a light room tutorial on our TV about how to play with the tone curve. I know what you're thinking. It's really good that you found somebody to marry and deal with your dumbness. So that's probably. In terms of shows, sex Education on Netflix, really really good British Jillian Anderson, sort of John Hughes Ish Dating Around also on Netflix. And I also enjoyed the Missus Maisle Show. I was good. Great baking show over here. Oh, great British bake off baking show, wonderful. All right, give me one more one one or two more goes. Yes, do a three hour show. Let's Joe Rogan this um okay. Somebody asked about the souved movement. I know you're pro I'm in. Somebody asked us about cast iron ver stainless steel. I know you're you're all in on that, that beautiful seer of cast iron. All in on cast iron. Yeah, let's finish here. We got a number of good questions. Third dates. I don't think we've quite gotten to. Just ask a lot of questions. You'll get to a third date. Don't be creepy. You'll get to a third date, and don't expect anything on any date. Just let the game come to you, like a good game manager, let the game come to you. You just got to read, read, and react. The last question comes to us from I think is a Gary. No excuse me, Justin Gary did ask a question about limited space child rearing in big cities. It's rough. Go outside as often as you can. That's my answer to Gear. Justin says, I'm diabetic, so my choices for picking out on Saturdays are generally limited, which means carbohydrates. I assume sugars, breads, stuff like that, which are key to a lot of sauces and vehicles. Wings, however, are always available and can fit in my diet. What do you think are the best rubs or sauces to add to wings? I tend to gravitate to jerk glazes or sauces for mine. Love a good jerk. Yeah, that's what the phrasing I understand.
Speaker 2: I'm into the rubs, man, rubbin and jerkin. That's right, that's what we're talking about here. What is doing the craft show.
Speaker 1: What is your what is your your seasoning choice?
Speaker 2: First and foremost, with wings, you gotta go with the flats. You got it out of the flats. Now, I didn't know until last summer that I.
Speaker 1: Could do this. Yeah, this is all pretty new to me as well.
Speaker 2: And I think it's only the places that are, you know, a little bit more popular with the wing eating crowd, right, that know how to handle this. But if you go and ask for the flats as opposed to the trum, you go to a butcher, you go to no, no, no, I'm talking, I go to the restaurant in order flats. Oh okay, but what about But I'm saying, if you prefer the rub, what is the rub that you like?
Speaker 1: The rub? So, first and foremost you need the flats. Yeah, that's true surface area. But secondly, I prefer a good old bay rub. Ooh, I like that answer. Prefer good old bay rub, glery salt.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a little bit of an old bay rub doesn't quite have the messy quality that you get from any of the sauces, but also gives you enough of that kick, You get enough of that crispiness that comes with the wing if it's been done correctly. For me, it's the flats with the combination of an old bay rub Dan.
Speaker 1: Sure, I think it's a great answer. You can go Asian without the honey or brown sugar element and do like a soy garlic ginger sort of. I don't know if you marinade, but you know, I think you can make a sauce out of that if you look that up. Lemon pepper a classic. I don't know if you've watched Atlanta at all. I know about like JR Crickets, the famous wing place in Atlanta. Yep, but there's lemon pepper and there's lemon pepper wet. I'm, you know, the worst person to be the one describing it and talking about it. But lemon pepper is delicious as a combination as a rub. And you can add lemon pepper seasoning to like a buffalo sauce. That adds a nice little twist. I would say, aside from wings specifically, if you're looking for ways to eat well in terms of eat like deliciously on game day, just throw everything that you can on a grill on a grill. I would love I wouldn't love to have diabetes let's be clear. But to have an excuse me like I have to eat as much actual real food as possible. If I can just grill a bunch of giant green onions and chicken and carnea soada and throw tortillas on there and throw onions on there and just really get good at grilled Mexican food whatever. And I believe corn tortillas are gluten free and they don't have carbohydrates so minute, so that's a good option there. But uh, yeah, I was just anything you can throw on a grill that, you know, an excuse to pile up vegetables and meat is not the worst thing in the world. There you go.
Speaker 2: Okay, Yeah, covered a lot of ground here today, Daniel, Yes it is though. That's real good squarely the off season. Soliverble at gmail dot com is always how you can get in touch with us. We're also on Twitter, We're on Facebook, We're on Instagram. We also have a subreddit, Reddit dot com slash r slash solid verbal. We didn't start it. It was started by Oh it's great though. We're in there some superverbowlers. Yeah, we moonlight over there from time to time. But if you're a fan of the show. It's read at dot com slash r slash solid verbal if we pop in there for some Rubin and Jerkin.
Speaker 1: That's right.
Speaker 2: They've got some exciting conversations that go on around the shows after we post them, So go on and check that out if you're a fan.
Speaker 1: Uh, hopefully you got in on the bracket pool. M hmm. If you did, we will be.
Speaker 2: Watching like a hawk to see who comes in firster, maybe second, third, I don't know. We want to give some shirts away, Dan, this is the way this works. But we did get a great response to that. Will be following along with your Oregon Ducks, hopefully over the course of the next couple of weeks and not just tomorrow.
Speaker 1: Do you like anybody because you have? You know you're Alma Mater and Notre Dame, both not in the tournament. I haven't watched a minute of college basketball this year. I'm the wrong person task I did watch.
Speaker 2: I did lose the Loulville Wouiville survivor pick that I had, so I've got a couple others that I can rely on, but for now I'm down a man.
Speaker 1: Richard Patino, right, I've been doing a lot of March Madness content for ESPN Plus Action Network. So I actually I am now caught up to speed. I'm rooting for Oregon, but there's I just want fun, I just want fun times. I actually I watched for the first time in a long time, I watched non conference college basketball because I wanted to watch Bull Bowl for the Ducks. And I was like, oh, man, Oregon beats Syracuse sitting fifty four percent of his threes. This is up. Nope, he's hurt, he is done. Oh so then I picked it up in the back twelve tournament. All right, Well, thank you to everyone out there for downloading the show.
Speaker 2: We will be back next week. Talk more college football. In the meantime, stay tuned to us on social and if you've got anything to say, give us a holler. Yes silverblat gmail dot com for that guy over there, my good friend Dan Rubinstein, for myself, Ty hilde.
Speaker 1: Brandt, while we're here in eastern Pennsylvania. Will catch you on everythion times. Base Peace,