Speaker 1: It's a special type of Thursday. Hey, it's Burg and Jeffrey in the morning on your Second Date Update podcast, and we've got an update update, which is always so fun because it's when one of our couples contacts us with something that's happened since they've been on the show, which we love.
Speaker 2: I know, we do love it.
Speaker 1: So the way these work is we do play the original call so that we're all on the same page when we talk to the couple, and so you will have to sit through like two commercials okay to get to the update update. I know that that can be very upsetting. I understand, don't you know it'll be worth it. Yeah, we'll just skip them. But before we start anything, we love to highlight some of our comments here. What do you got, Alexis?
Speaker 3: Yes, I saw one from Rafaela from Munich who said, I binge listen. I binge listened to this entire playlist in four months while working, commuting, doing dishes, laundry and more. You make boring tasks feel way more entertaining.
Speaker 1: I think it's so cool. People listen all over the world.
Speaker 4: Ye, I think my stream is split in half, right, No, European people and Americans.
Speaker 1: It is crazy, all these people speaking multiple languages and US idiots over here, all you know, though, which are straight to your heart.
Speaker 2: Alright, let's get started.
Speaker 1: Here's your update update.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Over the years, we've seen couples who've bonded over both being dog parents, or maybe they're both lizard lovers. Given a few people who bonded because they are both owners of human babies.
Speaker 1: I love those babies.
Speaker 2: I'm pretty sure that's the casual way to say.
Speaker 1: All. I kind of like it.
Speaker 4: But this might be the first time that we've ever had two people connect over a different kind of living creature to plant parents. Honestly, never expected this to turn into one of the sweetest second date calls we did all year, and what's better, we got an update on their unique situation. It's coming up in your second date up date update right after this second date updated. We are in the month of Love right now, and because of that, today we're gonna do this entire second date update in the language of love. French Jose, take it away, a welcome.
Speaker 1: I'll second Date up date a known as English update second Date. I do know how a French accent could be unsexy you made it happen.
Speaker 4: We're trying not to scare all of the women off from listening to the show, just a couple of the unwanted ones. Sorry, you know what, maybe we just stick to American style English for this when we talk to our listener Cassie today, Cassie, I'm sorry, Are you okay if we do this in English?
Speaker 5: I love the French? But you know what, it's okay.
Speaker 1: You're gonna already she's starting out of the gate line.
Speaker 4: Just for the record, if you have any other language requests or like, do you want me to do, just holler at me seriously, start keep talking like that. You're not going to be single for long. So tell us about this guy that you went out with recently.
Speaker 2: What's his name?
Speaker 5: Yeah, his name is Derek. How'd you guys meet online? And their first day? We went to a super upscale mall here in this area. We've got like a I would say stancy mall is because like it's spread out.
Speaker 2: I don't have to tell us about upscale malls. Yeah, we got there. Explain nowadays it's like being on Amazon.
Speaker 1: But I are Yeah, the stores.
Speaker 2: That's okay, And that sounds like it could be nice one.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it could be fun, something something to do, things to look at and.
Speaker 1: Talk about, like shop, you can drink, you can eat. Yeah. So what was it like when you very first met Derek?
Speaker 5: So honestly, I felt like we hit it off, like right off the bat. There was comistry there. We walked around just like looking at stuff, and we ended up going to like a nursery, not like the baby the kind of plant plant nursery.
Speaker 2: It was like, Okay, sounds like a perfect date to me.
Speaker 5: But they don't.
Speaker 1: They don't have stores where they sell babies Jose at the.
Speaker 2: Mall, even a baby watching day.
Speaker 4: I know, we just got a brilliant business ideas long sponsored by Brook and Jeffrey in the morning window.
Speaker 1: You better work on your return policy.
Speaker 6: I'm going.
Speaker 4: You know, we've got the discount ban over here in store for too long.
Speaker 2: We have the whole businessman ready but sorry.
Speaker 1: Okay, I mean cute plant shops are so fun right now.
Speaker 5: He was a little bit more into it than me, but I was really feeling it. Yeah, because traditionally, like I haven't really been a plant person, but I had it. I had a lot of fun.
Speaker 7: So sweet.
Speaker 1: So he was knowledgeable he obviously has plans.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and he was like, you know what I think we should do. I think we should pick out a plant for each other.
Speaker 1: Oh and it's kind of forward thinking, like it's like he wants to see if you could keep it alive, you know what I mean? Yeah.
Speaker 5: I think it's like when you have some like picking up it for you, because it's like, Okay, what do you really think of me? Let's see what you pick out based off what you think my personality is that.
Speaker 2: Someone plant a tree that's more of a commitment than y. Yeah, okay, that's an interesting idea.
Speaker 1: I like it. What did you pick out for him?
Speaker 5: So the one I picked was super cute. It was like very whimsical. It was called a figetty fig.
Speaker 1: Better than a venus fly trap or something, you know.
Speaker 5: Right, Okay, So that's like literally what I'm getting to, because what he picked for me was a freaking snake plant.
Speaker 3: Snake flip snake, but average little, long time though hard to kill.
Speaker 1: They are very hard to kill. They're sturdy. They're a good first plant for people who don't have the first plant.
Speaker 4: Okay, So he obviously doesn't trust that you're able to maintain it, which is why he bought you a super easy plant.
Speaker 5: I didn't really think about it that way, honestly, I was like, should I be offended.
Speaker 1: Because of the snake title? Is that why?
Speaker 6: Yes?
Speaker 5: I was just like surprised, you know what I mean, because like the one I picked for him was slurty cute.
Speaker 2: Or so, how did you tell him that you didn't like the plant that he bought.
Speaker 5: I kind of just made a joke of it because it's like he's still buying me something, right, So I'm not going to be a jerk about it.
Speaker 2: You could be a jerk.
Speaker 4: I'm just saying that's always on the table to slap the plant down out of his hands and be like try again.
Speaker 1: Well I don't think she'd be calling us and asking why he's obvious.
Speaker 5: Well, it was like so fun because we acted that we went out for drinks because there was like a bar inside the mall, but we brought our plants with and the whole time I felt super comfortable and like it even ended with a kiss. So yeah, all right.
Speaker 1: This all sounds good, Like I mean, I could totally understand why you're so confused why he's not calling back.
Speaker 5: Yeah, me too, especially since we even named our plants.
Speaker 1: Oh they're real plant baby after each.
Speaker 2: Other, Like would you name so?
Speaker 5: His plant was Gertrude, Yes, okay, and my plane was leap Eric said leave Erickson.
Speaker 2: Like the explorer, Yeah, okay, all right?
Speaker 1: Have you texted as Leif ericson? I mean, that's the obvious, like Leif misses you.
Speaker 3: They considered it now all I think it was the love forern from the rom com. You know, it's like you killed.
Speaker 1: Our love for your plant is still alive, right?
Speaker 7: Oh?
Speaker 5: Yeah, you know what's funny is I I did find out I do have a bit of a green thumb.
Speaker 1: Oh the plan to keep alive.
Speaker 4: But yeah, I'm actually a little bit more concerned about getting your guys's plants back together because I feel like maybe they had the real love connection.
Speaker 1: You don't want a separated plant family.
Speaker 4: We're gonna call plant daddy Derek and see why he isn't arranging another date with you when we do your second date update.
Speaker 2: Right after this second date update, you're in the middle.
Speaker 1: Of a second date update update, and we're gonna find out how the couple is doing right after you. Here Part two, Cassy.
Speaker 4: And Derek have been on one date and already have two kids together.
Speaker 1: Babies babies.
Speaker 4: Plant children that they picked out for each other at a nursery during their date. They even named their plants Gertrude and Leif Ericsson.
Speaker 1: It's solid, solid day.
Speaker 4: Brought their plants to the restaurant together, put them in high chairs with little.
Speaker 2: Bibs on, they fed them. I mean, you can assume, you can assume that they're good parents like that, and.
Speaker 1: I'm pretty sure they ordered round the chicken tenders.
Speaker 4: Yes, I mean, pretty normal first date as far as we've heard.
Speaker 1: It's actually an adorable first date, and they bought plants together.
Speaker 4: The crazy thing is most of the plant enthusiasm was actually led by Derek, which I didn't expect. So it is weird that he is not initiating another meet up. The thing is, we never asked Cassie how many days has it been since.
Speaker 2: That all happened.
Speaker 5: So I haven't seen five days.
Speaker 4: That's four decades in plant years, so we can only imagine how your children.
Speaker 1: I don't know, but.
Speaker 2: Pretty quick.
Speaker 1: So have you heard from him at all?
Speaker 5: Yeah? So there's been texting, but there's been no initiation of a second day.
Speaker 4: Okay, Yeah, well, let's call this deadbeat plant dad and figure.
Speaker 2: Out what.
Speaker 1: He's taking care of. Gtrude, Okay, I.
Speaker 2: Mean, at least we hope. So.
Speaker 4: I don't like that he's not talking you, Cassie, so let's call him. We'll see if he picks up.
Speaker 7: Okay, Hello, Hey is this Derek?
Speaker 5: Yeah, Derek.
Speaker 4: Sorry to barge into your day here, but you're on the radio right now with Brooke and Jeffrey in the morning.
Speaker 7: Good morning.
Speaker 1: That's weird, you said, Sorry, your phone's a little hard to hear, Derek.
Speaker 8: Yeah, he was just a little weird. I don't usually get radio stations calling me in the morning.
Speaker 2: I don't think most people do.
Speaker 4: So you're in the general population with that one.
Speaker 2: That's fine, Derek.
Speaker 1: I think we're calling you for a great reason though.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a second we do you call it second date update.
Speaker 1: I don't like that you sound like one of our commentors from the podcast.
Speaker 2: Yeah, do you even know anything about it?
Speaker 8: I mean, I figure as you're calling me till somebody wants to reach out.
Speaker 2: Okay, smart guy there. So yeah, you're right.
Speaker 4: There is a girl that listens to our show who said she went out with you recently.
Speaker 2: Named Cassie.
Speaker 1: Just so you know, she does know that you guys have been texting a little bit. It just feels like you're maybe not interested or something.
Speaker 8: I mean, I'm I'm kind of interested, but at the moment, I'm not kind of.
Speaker 2: Interested, kind of but not kind of.
Speaker 4: Okay, you were pretty clear, So.
Speaker 1: No, wonder she's so I don't know why she'd be.
Speaker 4: Well, I hope you don't mind if we dive a little bit deeper into that and ask you why.
Speaker 8: I just need some more time.
Speaker 7: What's going on?
Speaker 1: Are you in a relationship?
Speaker 8: No, I'm single, I'm single, you're single. Okay, I just made a big mistake.
Speaker 2: Mistake what no girlfriend? But you made a mistake. But you like her, but you also don't like her yet?
Speaker 1: But a mistake with who? Because she really likes you?
Speaker 8: Okay, I'll just tell you, but you can't tell her.
Speaker 2: We won't say we none of us here will say anything to her.
Speaker 6: Yes, so I don't know if she told you. But we bought each other plants on our date.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it seemed kind of like cute and movie ish.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we even knew Gertrude and Leif Erickson.
Speaker 2: Okay, right right, Yeah, we named them.
Speaker 8: Okay, but when we weren'taving them all, I didn't realize. I left Gertrude the roof of my car, so I drove away. Yeah, I heard her bump. I didn't know what it was, so I backed up and I ran over.
Speaker 2: Your own plants.
Speaker 7: So dramatic, baby, you killed Trude?
Speaker 2: Hello, yeah, dere she was supposed to wait. But that that's Cassie. I wanted to talk to you on the other line. Okay, rest in peace, Gertrude.
Speaker 8: Oh God, Cassy, I really didn't know you were on the phone. I didn't know you heard any of that.
Speaker 5: I cannot believe because I can't believe this.
Speaker 1: She's got it.
Speaker 5: Did you try and least bring her back to life?
Speaker 2: What did you do with Gertrude afterwards? Yeah, we're in her body.
Speaker 5: I mean, my.
Speaker 6: God, plants just as much as everybody else.
Speaker 8: But you guys directly like it's a human being.
Speaker 1: But listen, listen. Why would you not be calling her back just because the plant fell off the car?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 8: So I went back the next day to see if they had the same plant, and they didn't.
Speaker 2: Even went back.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you're going to pass off the new planet as Gertrude and try and trick Cassie to thinking it was the same one.
Speaker 1: Just tell her the truth. Cassie would think it's a cute story.
Speaker 6: I don't know.
Speaker 2: She sounds pretty upset.
Speaker 5: I don't even know what to say. I mean, Gertrude. Man, there's only one Girtrude, I know, the only one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I mean Cassie.
Speaker 1: You're being like funny right now, right, you're not being serious kind of my guys.
Speaker 5: It's really troubling, though, is it?
Speaker 6: Well?
Speaker 4: Because he ran it back over a guys, Oh, come up and then disposed of the body.
Speaker 1: It's not like it says anything about who he is. You're a good person.
Speaker 5: I thought she meant something to you.
Speaker 2: Grows back.
Speaker 1: Obviously did mean something to you, Cassie. That's why he went back to the store the next day.
Speaker 2: That's a good boy.
Speaker 8: I'm a good guy. Murder plants all the time. I buy them. I try and keep them alive.
Speaker 1: He tries to keep.
Speaker 8: I mean, Cassie, I've never run over one before.
Speaker 2: This was the first.
Speaker 1: Jimmy Tech. If you ever driven on grass, you've ever driven I mean yeah, we.
Speaker 2: Mean that he hasn't been driven over his own plant child like your husband does work? Okay, I mean, Cassie, can you see what he's saying? Like only a.
Speaker 4: Good guy would go through all of that effort to hide the evidence of destroying your plant baby together and try and cover it up with a different plant and then ghost you until the new plant comes in.
Speaker 1: H Wait, so the new plant is coming.
Speaker 8: So yes, it took five days to get here. It's coming tomorrow. That's what I've been waiting for.
Speaker 1: Okay, So you were gonna one more day, you were going to just ask her out?
Speaker 6: Then? Yeah, I was waiting for tomorrow making sure the plane got here. So in case she came over and saw that there was no plant, I wouldn't get in trouble.
Speaker 4: Cass is a lot for you to process. What do you think right now?
Speaker 5: I mean, I am, I'm honestly heartbroken. I'm surprised at how heartbroken I am over true, but I can understand the sentiment.
Speaker 1: I think he is so cute and he's going to all this effort just to make sure that you feel good and feel happy. Cassie. That should be a huge plus for you.
Speaker 8: It's not like I got you. We've been texting back and forth.
Speaker 2: True, he's been talking, just not committing well.
Speaker 4: So instead of asking him first, I'm gonna ask Cassie, would you like to see Derek again despite what you've heard here on the show today.
Speaker 5: Honestly I would. I think I'd give it another try.
Speaker 1: Wow, And you'll have to.
Speaker 4: Come up with a new name for that plant if Derek says yes to the second date, because we will pay for it.
Speaker 2: Derek, it's up to you the.
Speaker 8: Date Gertrude too.
Speaker 5: This is your opportunity to get any reminder of Gertrude. We have to call her something out o the plant.
Speaker 2: Murderer's Daughter is a good place used to start.
Speaker 1: That sounds like a novel I read Yeah, three.
Speaker 2: Part series coming soon to Amazon. Get your orders in now.
Speaker 6: By the way.
Speaker 8: By the way, how's Lee Perrickson doing?
Speaker 5: Oh oh, he's thriving. He is thriving, sving.
Speaker 6: Driving.
Speaker 4: Grown up so fast, you guys, Plans and cars do not mix.
Speaker 2: That's the murder mystery. Leaf killed Gertrude the insurance money for himself.
Speaker 1: No, I'm not going to read it Broaking Jeffrey in the morning.
Speaker 4: It's only been a couple months since that aired, but already we're getting an update from it looks like just Derek is on the phone right now.
Speaker 2: And before we get into it, Derek.
Speaker 4: I just have to tell you that was probably one of the more memorable calls that we've had all years on the show.
Speaker 1: So cute, Jeffy, you were adorable, Derek.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it was really good for us too. A lot of our friends ended up hearing it.
Speaker 1: Oh did you get lots of feedback?
Speaker 6: Yeah, they really loved it. So we actually thought it'd be a good idea and start bringing our plants with us when we went out to the bar.
Speaker 1: You became the plant parent couple at the bar.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah.
Speaker 6: People were coming off to us and asking about us, and we'd tell them we were on the show and they'd be they'd go crazy, they'd got I heard that we were. We were like celebrities for a minute.
Speaker 1: Oh my celebrities.
Speaker 4: That sounds awesome. So wait, how come it's only you on the phone today?
Speaker 6: Well, okay, the problem was that got a little old and we stopped taking them, and then it just seemed like with out the plants, it just wasn't the same.
Speaker 1: Wait, so you guys broke up because you realized the only connection you had was your plant babies.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it took a couple of weeks, but yeah, oh the chemistry wasn't there between me and Cassie anymore.
Speaker 1: Oh no, what happened with the plants? You have joined custody or.
Speaker 7: No?
Speaker 6: I mean I got mine and uh I'm kind of looking for a new plant stepmom.
Speaker 4: Oh okay, so there's a lot of listeners who would love to step in and fill that role.
Speaker 7: Wow.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry that the relationship didn't work out, but it.
Speaker 1: Sounds like you had fun and you enjoyed the experience, got some.
Speaker 7: Fame out of it.
Speaker 8: It was quite a few months.
Speaker 4: Well anyway, man, thanks for the update, and if you want us to call your future plant step mom, we're happy to do it for you.
Speaker 6: Okay, yeah, I just don't want to be on the phone this time.
Speaker 7: Wait what, I don't think it want to talk to us?
Speaker 2: Yeah okay, Oh no.
Speaker 8: With her, it's just with her day
Speaker 1: Broke and Jeffrey in the morning.