Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, Podcasts, radio News.
Speaker 2: This is Bloomberg Daybreak Weekend, our global look at the top stories in the coming week from our Daybreak anchors all around the world. Straight Ahead on the program, we looked to some key housing data in the US. I'm Nathan Hager in Washington.
Speaker 3: I'm Stephen Caron and London, who are looking ahead the next economic indicators for Europe and what it signals about the trajectory for stocks on the economy for the rest of the year.
Speaker 4: I'm Doug Prisner looking at the fate of the Japanese yen and a reality check for Hong Kong.
Speaker 1: That's all straight ahead on Bloomberg Daybreak Weekend on Bloomberg eleven three year, New York, Bloomberg ninety nine to one, Washington, DC, Bloomberg ninety two nine, Boston, DAB Digital Radio, London, Syrias, XM one twenty one, and around the world on Bloomberg Radio, dot Com and the Bloomberg Business App.
Speaker 5: Good day to you. I'm Nathan Hager.
Speaker 2: We begin today's program with a look at the US housing market. This week, we get figures on housing starts and pending home sales for the month of July. For more on this and the latest in the home building sector, we are joined by Drew Redding, us homebuilding analyst for Bloomberg Intelligence. Great as always to speak with you, Drew, And of course it's been a pretty hot summer, so are we expecting many projects to have gotten off the ground in the last month.
Speaker 6: So when we think about housing starts, you know, we're down about five percent year to date on the single family side, and we expect to see further pressure from that side of the market. You know, we see builders that are continuing to scale back production, giving in an already elevated supply of speck home inventory that they still need to work through. And you know, we've got sales in the new home market that are up just about two percent year to date, so it's a little taken a little bit longer to clear that inventory. You know. Now, the large public homebuilders have done a pretty good job in drawing down their complete at home inventories. Of course, they've had to remain pretty aggressive in their use of incentives to do so. But we are starting to see more of a shift away from that spec production model, which is building the home before you have a buyer you know, many of the builders are looking for a better balance, so they're what they're trying to do is basically match production with the sales pace rather than you know, putting more specs into a slow market.
Speaker 2: Sounds like that speaks to an overall trend of the home market in general moving away from a buying toward renting. Is that kind of what you're pointing to as an overall trend here?
Speaker 6: Yeah, So I think when you look at the for sale market relative to rentals, when you think about affordability, the high price of the homes, mortgage rates back towards seven percent. You know, the math certainly does favor renting over over owning. We've done some survey work that shows the same. And it's not that it's that current renters don't want to own. We find a majority of them do. It's simply the economics of it don't make sense right now.
Speaker 2: So what does that do for the overall sentiment in the home building market when we're seeing a trend toward more of those multi family projects as opposed to the single families that you would think have better profit margins.
Speaker 6: Well, it's a good question, and you know I mentioned that in the new home market, we have sales paces, you know, they're down significantly from last year. The market as a whole is up only about two percent year to date. And really the way builders are having to grow is to expand their community count, so they're not seeing it on the pace side, but really by increasing the number of subdivisions that they're operating from. You know. So it's really a tough growth environment on the single family side. And you know, if you think about the market, certainly there are pockets of relative strength and relative weakness. When you think about you know, the entry level buyer, who is typically someone that may be coming out of a rental situation, we see more stress as you would expect to cross that part of the market because those tend to be the most priced sensitive home buyers. On a relative basis, we have seen more strength at the move up in luxury segments. These are typically the buyers that are coming out of an existing home, so they've built up equity over the last couple of years. In the luxury side, they're benefiting from the run up in equity markets. They tend to be less sensitive to mortgage rates. We're seeing relative strength on that side, but you know, there's really not a parket part of the market that is completely immune, you know, to what's happening in the broader economy, you know, affordability, economic and political uncertainty. So you know, there's broad challenges, but there are pockets of relative strength.
Speaker 2: Oh, we are going to hear from one of those luxury home builders when Toll Brothers reports earnings this week. Are we expecting some positive signs there in terms of a lot of the factors you've just been talking about.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so we like the relative position of Toll Brothers. You know, as you know, they cater to the luxury market, so their buyer is more affluent. You know, they're, as I said, the customers are less sensitive to interest rates compared to the entry level. About a quarter of their buyers pay cash. For those that do take out a mortgage, they put about thirty percent down, So the buyer is very strong. So they're certainly more insulated to the macro. In terms of the upcoming print, I think, you know, the the KPIs will be looking at our order growth and gross margin, and we particularly are interested in hearing how demand has trended intra quarter, you know, with mortgage rates climbing back up towards seven percent. But that being said, you know, we still expect Toll to report high single digit growth in orders, and importantly, you know, that's being driven, as we mentioned before, by community count growth, which is helping to offset muted sales absorptions. And that's really what sets Toll Brothers apart from a growth perspective, both for twenty twenty six and looking out into twenty twenty seven. Now, on the margin side, gross margins have been very strong. The outlook's really going to come down to how aggressive they've had to be on their use of sales incentives. Bull primarily prescribes to a price over paced strategy, so we do think that near term margins should hold pretty well.
Speaker 2: Thank you for this, Drew, great having you on with us. That's Drew Redding, us home building analyst for Bloomberg Intelligence. Let's take a look now add some stocks making news in the week ahead. I'm Nathan Hager, joined by Bloomberg Equities reporter Avalon Purnell. We're sort of winding down earning season here Avalon, but we're going to hear from some of the biggest names in big box retail this week, starting with Target on Wednesday. There has been a lot of drama around this stock.
Speaker 5: What are we expecting this week?
Speaker 7: Absolutely, We're definitely gonna get a lot of visibility on the state of the American shopper, sales trends, and progress on Target's broader recovery will definitely be tough top of mind for investors, especially as they head into their second quarter earnings next Wednesday. The company is still really trying to regain its sparkle and pinpoint what exactly made the company tarje as opposed to just Target. One thing of note though, is that definitely analysts remain remixed on the company's performance moving forward, especially giving guidance they had in their earnings call last quarter, noting that they did have a little bit of concerns about tougher comparisons moving forward. You have ubs as Michael Lasser remaining quite bullish expecting the results to provide the next proof point that broader recovery may actually be sticking around for the company, whereas Barclays Seth Sigmund saying that you know, meaningful upside to results will really be needed to push the stock from here. He notes also that he believes a big box store likely had a solid quarter. However, he still views improvement as just recovering from last year's issues as opposed to moving forward into the next chapter. So Worth noting that the options data that we're currently seeing at the moment is implying about a six point two percent move after those results.
Speaker 2: Well, you wonder if we're going to see something of a similar move from Walmart when they report on Thursday. If you think about some kind of indicator of the American consumer, it's hard to think of a company that's more of one than Walmart.
Speaker 7: Absolutely, and a similar story that we were seeing in Target definitely still playing a role here for Walmart as well. Analysts still quite mixed on how exactly this big box stores, e commerce and also delivery businesses will perform as they report second quarter earnings. Key Bank is expecting pretty healthy results from the store, noting that the company remains one of their top picks as growth initiatives and also further share gains continue to build momentum despite a fairly volatile macro and geopolitical environment. They also expect Walmart to be fairly vocal about how exactly they're using those tariff refunds to fund rollbacks and ultimately drive future business gains by bringing people back into the store with slightly lower prices. Others are not necessarily as rosy about the company's outlook, Barclay's noting that the optics don't look too great given expectations for sales moderation from the last quarter. Barclays, though still saying that they believe this could be the trough as price investments in other initiatives support accelerating share gains in the second half of the year. Worth noting, like retaillers are still expecting you know, back to school sales and Black Friday, which obviously won't be penciled in for the start of the year.
Speaker 2: Right, but definitely something to keep an eye on as we wait to see what the outlook is going to be from both Target and Walmart. Also on Thursday, we're going to hear from one of the biggest names in the AG sector. What are we expecting from Deer in company?
Speaker 7: Yes, investors will be looking for more data that reinforces Deer's view that twenty twenty six will be the trough, the bottom of this quite complicated situation for the company. The world's biggest farm machinery makers second quarter results are expected to be slightly mixed again this quarter, Bloomberg Intelligence expecting the results to still reinforce that expectation that twenty twenty six will mark a trough in large ag demand as attention shifts towards how fast will that recovery be next year. However, that analyst is also noting that they're still expecting large agriculture retail cells to remain quite soft, though they do appear to be tracking better than industry forecasts as inventories continue to normalize. RBC also highlighting that their big question is continuing to be what exactly does the pace of deer's recovery look like, especially as there continues to be a lot of holatility in the macro environment, and also the tariff situation that is somewhat improved but still kind of in the balance o previously kind of interesting, especially with the Iran war in the background, as to how exactly that's going to be impacting farmers who are continuing to struggle to manage prices, not necessarily keeping pace with very elevated cost in the options market, also continuing to price She'll move of nearly five percent after the company reports learnings.
Speaker 2: Yeah, still a lot of back and forth when it comes to that situation in the Middle East and of the post tariff.
Speaker 5: Situation as well.
Speaker 2: Just time to talk about another stock that's reporting this week, Esday Lotder. There is a lot more competition in the beauty space. How are we thinking Esday Lotter is going to be handling it?
Speaker 1: There?
Speaker 7: Sure is, And I mean to say the least, this company has had a rollercoaster ride of a quarter. I mean, just a couple of months ago they were talking about merger talks with the Spanish brand Pooch, which was on the table and then later scrapped after investors were quite negative on that idea. And like a lot of other companies that we've already mentioned, they are in the midst of a broader recovery as consumers are continuing to kind of pull back from spending on these various like luxury brands that are under the Stay Ltder umbrella. That being said, RBC does continue to favor their turnarounds, say noticing that potentially important brands continue to outperform, and they also noted that the broader turnaround at MAC continues to kind of bode well for the company, though they do still question how Esday Lauder will continue to fare with holding onto smash Box and two Face, which are fairly popular brands amongst maybe millennial crowds, and whether it still makes sense for es Day Lauder to hold on to them or maybe look for a play to sell them at some point.
Speaker 2: We'll see, Yeah, we'll see if a lot of those sales are happening in Tarjay as well. Thanks for Evlon, as always good to have you with this. That's Avlon Parnell, Equities reporter for Bloomberg News, and coming up on Bloomberg Daybreak weekend, we'll look at whether Europe's future economic data.
Speaker 5: Can live up to the promise of a bumper second.
Speaker 2: Quarter when it comes to Europe's earnings. I'm Nathan Hager and this is Bloomberg. This is Bloomberg Day Break Weekend, our global look ahead at the top stories for our investors in the coming week are Nathan Higer and Washington.
Speaker 5: Later in the program.
Speaker 2: Will take a closer look at the feet of the Japanese yen, plus how Hong Kong's competitiveness as a financial center is about to be tested. But first Europe's Biggest Economies report of inflation and Purchasing Managers Index data next week against a backdrop of geopolitical uncertainty and higher energy costs driven by the Warriner ran. Let's get more now from Bloomberg Daybreak europe banker Stephen Carroll Nathan.
Speaker 3: European economies and companies have defied the doom laden forecast that the Iran war would tip the continent into stagflation. We've seen the best earning season in nearly four years, pushing keystock indexes to new records, and the signals for the months ahead look strong too. In the coming days, PMIS and the Zew survey in Germany will give fresh insight into how the biggest economies are performing, along with updated readings on inflation. And investors seem bullish on European stocks too. Benedict's Low is equity derivative strategist at BMP Pariba. Here's what she tells Bloomberg's Tom McKenzie earlier this week.
Speaker 8: So it's undeniable that the macro story is speaking up in Europe.
Speaker 9: We've got growth that.
Speaker 8: Is surprising to the upside, activity on the right, and earnings that have been good actually, earnings have been exceptionally strong in the US but also very good in Europe. It's been one of the best earning seasons over the past few years. And all of this is happening in the context where positioning is low to neutral, So that points a positive picture of stocks. Now, the comfort point to that is that a lot of positive news is already in the price and with seasonality that is not supportive for higher stock price up until the end of September October. We like to position for what we call a grind higher in stocks, and we like to minimize the premiums that investor are spending on website positioning.
Speaker 10: How do you mitigate risks around inflation, whether it's soft commodities where there's these or where there's gas oil prices. If this is the status quo right now around Iran and that is prolonged, how do you hedge around that.
Speaker 8: So one of our top pick at the moment is the banking sectors. We think the banking sectors is one of the best sector position for end of your First of all, pmis are on the rise. As I mentioned activity speaking up, earnings that have been good, but also higher inflation mean higher rates. We're expecting the UCB to rise rates concept number meeting, and that is positive for the banking sector, a cyclical sector that has yes really performed well over the past few years. But we think this is some website poler sector.
Speaker 3: So Betexil from Bimpe Parriba optimistic there, but there are risks to the outlet, not least from oil and gas prices grinding higher. Let's discuss now with David Powell, Bloomberg's senior Euro Area economist, and Sagarika Jackson Ghani, who covers EMEA Equities, macro and investment strategy. David, let's start with you. We're looking ahead to these economic surveys coming in the next few days. What are we expecting to learn about the state of europe'svegas economies.
Speaker 9: Well, essentially, we're going to be focusing on the PMI survey and that's going to give us sy indications to whether the strong growth we saw the second quarter continued in the third quarter. Your area GDP spended by zero point four percent in the second quarter this year. That was basically double consensus. Part of that is because of a rebound in Ireland, but even without that distortion caused by iris GDP, the economy probably would have expanded by about zero point three, which is above expectations and is certainly defying the negative forecasts or the gloomy forecasts that were put out after the sharp rise and commodity prices earlier this year.
Speaker 3: Zagreca, we've just wrapped up, or just wrapping up rather a very strong earning season in Europe. But can you give us a sense of perspective on this. How good has it been when we look back at how European companies have reported.
Speaker 11: It's taken a lot of market participants, both investors and sell side strategists by surprise. And I want to put that in context a little bit, because European companies in the last two years have had essentially zero profit growth, and that was underpinned by poor economic growth, both a lot of it domestically. But this year what happened was European stock started off the year on a really solid footing. Right. You had the AI trade cracking in the US, but at that time Europe was turning attractive because it had these There was a new buzzword on Wall Street at the time. It was called halo heavy assets low obselescence. So suddenly the asset heavy old economy stuff was becoming attractive. But before that could really take off, you had the US Iran war, and that exposed a lot of European companies to the potential for higher oil prices. Would it there were worries that European economies would tip into stagflation, so expectations had on the macro front been tempered a bit. But coming into the second quarter earning season, unless expectations were incredibly strong, and as we're expecting MSCI Europe companies to post a twelve percent increase in profits versus a year earlier. As I said previously, after two years of no growth, that was already a high bar. What's been astounding is that not only have the companies met that bar, they've actually beaten it by quite a wide margin. So they've posted seventeen percent increase in profits, and that's the best since late twenty twenty two. Of course, the economy has been surprisingly resilient to the oil price shock. We haven't quite seen that feed through to inflation to a degree that had been feared, So that's been underpinning that. But the really big takeaway for US this season has been that. You know, the typical pattern in a year is generally that analysts start the year really bullish and then through the year they downgrade earnings expectations. This year, it's been the opposite. Not only have they come in bullish, but they've actually raised earnings expectations for twenty twenty six by five percent, which is really atypical. So that bodes well for further bullishness.
Speaker 3: Okay, I mean the inflation concerns, David, really are central to what things look like for the rest of the year as well. We've talked about the resilience in the European economies that we've seen so far, but given that energy prices still remain elevated, how big is the inflation risk when we're thinking about the picture for the coming months.
Speaker 9: There were these fears of stagflation. We haven't had the stag but we've had the flation. So if we look back at headline CPI in January, it was one point seven percent. Commodity prices started to rise in February and anticipation of a conflict in the Middle East, and then when it actually began at the very end of February, commodity price is shot up, and the latest inflation reading is two point nine percent, so well above the ECB's two percent target, and that is really what's driving the ECB's decisions right now. We expect another hike from the ECB in September, and that's universally expected by most economists and priced into the market. And really what's going to drive their decision after that is how commodity prices are affecting inflation, and that of course is tied up with the outcome of the conflict in the Middle East, and no one can say with exact certainty where we're going to be at the end of the year in terms of that, but on track for another hike, and if this persists, we could have more tightening as the ECB worries about worries about inflation. However, the good news is is that core inflation is unlikely to rise as much. We have had some increase things that are particularly vulnerable to commodity prices like airfares have gone up, but the weakness in the labor market is unlikely to allow workers to ask for huge increases in pay that we saw after the pandemic that really boosted inflation. Keeping underlying inflation pressures limited this year.
Speaker 3: Indeed, so that the risk of a wage price spiral not looking at looming large at the moment, Sagrico in the earnings pictures, did we hear much from companies about their inflation fears?
Speaker 11: I think in terms of inflation, the sentiment from management has been really positive. They have sounded really confident on profit margins and actually a really key part of that, and this goes back to the AI story in the US. One of the other fundamental reasons why this polishness toward European companies and the European stock market is that changing attitude from investors on who are the next AI winners? So that was a key focus for how are companies in Europe being able to monetize productivity efficiency from AI? And we're seeing nascent signs of that now. Initially in the first leg of the AI rally, it was all focused on the big spenders on AI, on developing AI, and those companies are based in the US, so Europe had been at a disadvantage then it had underperformed US indexes because you don't have those big AI developers here, but what you do have are both sides of the other sides of that supply chain, where you've got the semiconductor paths makers that allow for AI to be deployed. But you then also have companies in Benedict was mentioning this earlier in her snippet, you have companies like banks who have already started to show that they can monetize AI in a way that is translating into earnings growth and margin growth, and they're confident that they can defend that going forward. So that's keeping optimism alive as well.
Speaker 3: What about the other asset classes. We're talking specifically about equities so far, but I mean in terms of other European assets, are there interesting trends to be watched at.
Speaker 11: Watching out for Definitely. We were looking into this theme earlier with Micross asset colleagues and it's quite notable. Economically speaking, or economicsly speaking, stocks and bonds generally behave in opposite directions. That's the fundamental rule of economics. This time around, we noticed that European stocks are rallying at the same time as this growing polishness on bonds and the reason for that is that and David mentioned this earlier as well. The economy isn't a sweet spot at the moment where economic momentum is picking up from lows. So there's a City Group index which measures the degree to which data are coming in better than expected, and that economic momentum is the highest since March twenty twenty three. But at the same time, absolute growth figures are still trailing the US, and there is more policy certainty at the moment in Europe, at least it's been viewed that way versus the US, so investors are certainly bullish on stocks and bonds at the same time, which is really rare.
Speaker 3: David, we're sort of belying the dismal science of economics by being so positive about the picture going ahead for the rest of the year. I just wonder what risks we should have our eyes on when we're thinking about what could derail this momentum and this resilience for the European economy.
Speaker 9: Probably the biggest risk is the obvious one of commodity prices shooting higher and much higher again the conflict in the Middle East were to escalate, And beyond that, it's probably that the increase in commodity process that's driving up headline inflation. If that starts to appear more strongly in underlying inflation, even though the labor market is weaker than it was several years ago, because that would probably cause the ECB to tighten much more aggressively than we currently think it will.
Speaker 3: Okay, Zachary, The question of investors diversifying away from the US, looking for other options away from the US hasn't something that's benefited Europe in the past. Is there any sign that that momentum could continue or be a theme as we're looking towards the rest.
Speaker 9: Of the year.
Speaker 11: Absolutely, and that underpins the broadening trade that has been going on this year. So investors are looking out of They're looking within the US but outside of tech. But that is also leading them to other more attractively valued stocks which are in Asia or Europe. And again it goes back to the economic momentum, because Europe is chock full of sector is that are very closely linked with the economic cycle. Again, banks, industrials, miners, these companies tend to do well when the economic growth is sustainable and it's resilient. That's what's drawing investors this time around, and we've seen that in the earnings picture as well. It is the miners' energy, industrial's financials which have really contributed the most to profit growth.
Speaker 3: Okay, zagrec Jason Ghanny, who is covering EMEA Equity's macro and investment strategy at Bloomberg.
Speaker 5: Thank you.
Speaker 3: And from Bloomberg Economics, David Powell, our senior Euro Era economist. Well, have more on those data points on the PMI surveys for France, Germany in the Euro Area on Bloomberg Radio this week. I'm Stephen Carroll in London. You can catch us every weekday morning for Bloomberg Daybreak Europe, beginning at six am in London and one am on Wall Street.
Speaker 2: Nathan, Thanks Stephen, and coming up on Bloomberg Daybreak weekend, we'll take a closer.
Speaker 5: Look at the feet of the Yen. I'm Nathan Hager, and this is Bloomberg.
Speaker 2: This is Bloomberg day Break Weekend, our global look ahead at the top stories for investors in the coming week. I'm Nathan Hager in Washington. The persistent weakness of the yen continues to be a troubling issue for Japanese policymakers. For a closer look, let's get to the host of the Bloomberg Daybreak Asia Podcast Doug.
Speaker 4: Chrisner, Thanks Nathan. The yen's weakness is a problem for the US as well, so much so. The two weeks ago, the US and Japan's surprised markets with a coordinated effort to strengthen the yen for the first time since nineteen ninety eight. The problem is since that intervention, half of the EN's gains have been wiped out. Now several factors are weighing on Japan's currency, including the gap between Japan's ultra low interest rates and those in the US and other major economies. Now, the situation could be remedied to some extent if the Bank of Japan were to raise rates. We know that in inflation in Japan has been above target for years now. In the week ahead, we'll get fresh price data for Japan with the GDP deflator for a look at the dynamics. I spoke with Bloomberg News macro strategist Michael ball. I started the conversation by asking whether the intervention was a watershed moment or whether we're making too much of this move.
Speaker 12: No, I don't think we're making too much of it. I think again, we've crept up back to this one sixtieth area, and again that seems to be the line in the sand that the market has in mind.
Speaker 5: For that's where.
Speaker 12: Coordinated intervention, both the Treasury and them OFF and the BOJ together all have to basically signal that this is where we're going to defend until we get to September or potentially October, where you could see rate hikes from the BOJ to again give a more fundamental story why the yen should appreciate and to change this feedback loop. It's just a negative feedback loop of weaker yen be getting weaker yen because of positioning.
Speaker 4: So from the US position, is Treasury Secretary Besnt looking more at what's happening in the US treasury market than he is the currency market, and he's concerned that we may see a backup in US fields.
Speaker 12: Yes, I think that's the primary goal here, and I think he signaled that in several ways. One obviously for his worry that the intervention will not only be the selling of bills, which has been up to date now how they've done it, but more on actually the long end. So again, if they didn't have access, let's say to the THEEMA kind of facility as a backstop, or they didn't have access to the international repel market or even the repo facilities, the other ones that are available at the FED, then they would have to sell longer end treasuries what are the tens or thirties, and the curve, which has already been under pressure since July FMC would come under further pressure and that would actually force the hands.
Speaker 4: So you mentioned FEMA, just to unpack that a little bit, this is a vehicle that it was essentially allowed Japan to borrow dollars to post US treasuries essentially as a form of collateral, so they wouldn't be net sellers of US treasuries to dump that inventory into the market and run the risk of pushing US yields even higher, right exactly.
Speaker 12: And there is a limit to that amount. I think it's around sixty billion, which in its sense is a little bit small for what is needed, because let's keep in mind the initial intervention that happened last week saw about eighty billion dollars of bill selling buy the moth to actually support and buy yen. So this one itself is more of a backstop. It hasn't been used yet because it's more expensive. It's about twenty five basis points over what a normal repo rate would be to do something like this, but in its signaling effect it's much larger because again what we may see from best in with you know, the new FED leader Kevin Warsh is to lift the limit there, which then would be a much bigger signaling effect. And overall, with all the other tools, the Japanese then could just have this as well as a backstop.
Speaker 4: So take me back to the currency market. What this means for not only the dollar but the Japanese yanic gas.
Speaker 5: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 12: And again there's other things going on in Japan that is making us worry that they'll be selling treasury holdings, and as they sell treasury holdings, obviously then they weaken sort of the dollars they bring money back into the end. But specific to what this intervention was about, again, it was to initially stop official account selling of the treasury mark market. And what it really means for the dollars, you know, for that cross itself, it would weaken the dollar against the end and effectively put more pressure even on long end real rates, which is counterintuitive because the rate differential story would be off there, but then it's a capital flow account thing, or basically you're just seeing selling of dollar assets by Japanese holders.
Speaker 4: So we know what the disinflation or deflation story in Japan has been like for three decades, and we know that the boj these days has been very very conservative, moving very gradually. You could make a case, given the level of inflation now in Japan, that the BOG needs to be a little bit more aggressive. That's not happening. Is there the risk though, that if they begin to lean into more of a tightening, that we could see a repatriation of Japanese assets leaving global markets like the US and coming back to Japan.
Speaker 12: Well, it might actually be the interesting I think you actually nailed on the head. I think they took so long for them to get inflation to kind of get going again, and it has gotten going again. Obviously they have more energy sensitivity and we know what's going on there, But it took them so long to get rates off the zup and get them off the floor and get it inflation back in grain and sort of the day to day consumer that they're very worried that if they sort of even tighten a little bit, they're going to lose that progress. But to your point, if they do tighten, if they come out and say September and they issue Maymi a statement that's more hawkish and expected in october's getting priced up again because right now September is about two third price for a hike, and if they don't go, then the expectation to be one hundred percent for October. But let's say they just do back to back, you would see that curve flattened, so you'd see the long end of the treasury curve, their treasury curve over there come off and get a rally, and that actually would give you less incentive to repatriate back into the Japanese assets, effectively into their bonds, because one, liquidity is not great there, two then you're just your rate differential story is not as compelling anymore because by hiking in the front end, they're effectively showing that they have more responsibility towards the back end as far as monetary policies.
Speaker 4: So what's your sense in terms of yend weakness is the worst over at least in the near term.
Speaker 12: Yeah, I mean that's a great question. I think a lot of that has to do maybe with enery as well. Obviously they have some sort of well not some sort of they have a higher correlation here with oil prices of oil where it is now and the rate to change their state stable, then it's less of a pressure on them there. I think you're right. I think in a lot of ways, well, not that you're right, but what you're hinting at is that the worst could be over if we see this coordinated intervention lead to basically hold a period of time before you see actual rate hikes.
Speaker 4: To what extent could the market be surprised right now? Is the trade so crowded that we risk maybe a kind of a not I don't want to say violent adjustment, but something that could be dramatic, So.
Speaker 12: The trades come off. To your point, I think a lot of that was last week was that people were caught off sides by the coordination and now obviously the size it was a somewhat large imprint they had in the market, and people were basically still leaning very short end, and that's cleaned up nicely. We get to see FTC data, that's one way to look at it. But also we're hearing sort of from flow traders that a lot of that has come off, and it's a much flatter position. People are more nervous now there's two sided risks to where the end can go. And again this one to sixty level is sort of the pivot where if we drift above one sixty, I think people will be mourned and powered to short it. Traders will think that the intervention was a one off and they're not really disciplined or committed to it. And if it goes lower then the feedback loop actually people will probably try and rush into it to get ahead of maybe a more structural change, which it will again be real rate hikes coming down the road.
Speaker 4: Michael will leave it there. Thanks for your perspective on the yen story that is, Bloomberg macro strategist, Michael Ball. We turn next to Hong Kong and how its competitiveness as a financial center is about to be tested by two opposing forces. Bloomberg opinion columnist July Wren is based in Hong Kong and she has been writing about what she calls a reality check. Truly joins us now from Hong Kong. Thank you for being here. You've been writing in your latest piece that last year Hong Kong overtook Switzerland as the world's largest cross border wealth hub. I didn't realize that. Talk to me about the positive forces that could further cement that position.
Speaker 13: What we are seeing is rebounded in Hong Kong's asset management industry. Last year, a lot of global hetch fans they were opening shop in Hong Kong and they were actually expanding their office space. We're talking about Citadel James Street point seventy two. One reason is that they want to be close to the deep talent in mainland China. For educated the small mainland Chinese to move to Hong Kong, it's very easy, whereas it would be very difficult for them to move to say London or New York. And with global hedge fens stuck in a very heated talent fight and paying more and more money to young analysts, they find Hong Kong quite attractive.
Speaker 4: So when you look at the possibility that things could change, let's go to the negative side of the equation now, which would maybe erode Hong Kong's standing in terms of the asset management industry. What could be a negative in this story.
Speaker 13: At the end of the day, Hong Kong is still very integrated into China. Sure, Hong Kong is the world's largest cross border wealth management hub, but according to Boston Consulting Group estimates, sixty percent of the money still came from mainland China. And right now the problem is that the Chinese government is a bit short out catch, so they want the mainland Chinese to cough up unpaid capital gains taxes. The Chinese government is a little bit short on catch, so they want to so they're in a global tax hunt for capital gangs that mainland Chinese made overseas, and a lot of that money is in Hong Kong. So we're talking about billions of the dollars of unpaid tax bills that mainland Chinese will somehow have to cough up to liquidate the existing assets in Hong Kong, and that hurts Hong Kong's asset management industry.
Speaker 4: So we've talked about the polarity here the two opposing polls. One that would prove to be very positive for the asset management industry in Hong Kong that tax reform. The other is obviously the influence on the negative side that Beijing would have in terms of the crackdown on a lot of cross border activity, including a leveon overseas capital gains, which I think is twenty percent. Do you have a sense of how this may shake out and what may happen at the end of the day.
Speaker 13: I think what will happen is that traditional investment banking services for instance, clime brokerages, sales and trading, they will do very well. On the other hand, private wealth management, which has been the fastest growing sector, they're likely to have peaked.
Speaker 4: So it's an issue of whether or not Hong Kong is going to preserve its competitive edge as a financial center. Do we need to talk about what's happening with the IPO market, particularly as mainline Chinese companies are concerned.
Speaker 13: Well that the IPO market is doing very well, and that's the thing the Chinese government is happy with that. They think, oh it's great. You know, Hong Kong could be a good capital allocation hub for mainland Chinese companies to get financing, to develop their AI capabilities, etc. And that is where Hong Kong politically stands on the good side of Beijing. On the other side, Hong Kong shouldn't be shouldn't continue to be seen as a place where wealthy Chinese hide their assets from the government, from their government's watchful eye.
Speaker 4: So you know very well, when we talk about talent in the financial services industry, we have to talk about the technology that some of these firms are using. Talk to me about the extent to which asset managers in Hong Kong are using artificial intelligence these days.
Speaker 13: Well, this is an interesting development because you know, like the Western artificial intelligence labs, they don't allow to people in Hong Kong to use their products. For instance, we can now use open AI or anthropics products. So what will happen is that these global assem managers will end up using cheap Chinese models because they have no choice, right, And I think that actually might help the proliferation of Chinese models in the assem management industry.
Speaker 4: Truly, we'll leave it there, thank you so very much. That is Bloomberg opinion columnist Shuly Wren her latest piece, Hong Kong's low tax lure is getting a reality check. I'm Doug Prisner. You can catch us weekdays for the Daybreak Asia podcast. It's available wherever you get your podcast Nathan.
Speaker 2: Thanks Doug, And that does it for this edition of Bloomberg Daybreak Weekend. Join us again Monday morning at five am Wall Street Time for the latest on markets overseas and the news you need to start your day. I'm Nathan Hager. Stay with us stop stories and global business lines are coming up right now.