Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: It's the Dan Patrick Show Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 3: LaVar Arrington, Brady Quinn, Jonas Knox in for Dan and the guys here as we will be taking you all the way up until noon Eastern time, nine o'clock Pacific. A lot of people looking around going, well, now what do we do? The NFL's over, college football is over. We could pile on the Lakers, who uh defecated down the side of their leg last night.
Speaker 4: I haven't been bad.
Speaker 5: The Hornets, they haven't been good, man, since Luca's gotten there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there haven't been bad since Luca's got there. They just lost to the Hornets.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but he's played it. The horns are fourteen thirty nine.
Speaker 4: What they might have three losses since he's gotten there. I think they're like, he's only played three games. Yeah, but since he's gotten there, so yeah, he's he.
Speaker 5: Hasn't scored more than twenty in any game. I don't think has he.
Speaker 4: I don't know, but I think their record since he's gotten there, like it was like ten and two or something, eight and two something like that. Might have some recency bas but they looked awful last night.
Speaker 5: So I mean, does eight and two matter if he's only playing three games?
Speaker 4: I mean, just the record, I don't know. I mean, I guess he hasn't contributed directly in the game and say he's gotten there ye.
Speaker 5: Off an injury. You guys are missing the point, like he literally has not only played in three games.
Speaker 4: I think you guys are exercising like self hate here man like internal hate, brou like, y'all need to stop that. It's his influence over the team that has changed. What that's the point you guys are missing. Okay, Luca's in the Luca effect. Yeah, you guys are doing.
Speaker 3: You're you're making a mockery of our summer. That's what you're doing. This is our summer. Yeah, long ways off and that all I'm gonna say is.
Speaker 2: We're taking over.
Speaker 5: They're they're one and two. By the way, in the three games he's played since they've been back you know Utah. Yeah, actually they split with Utah. Yeah before they lost.
Speaker 4: You know, you guys are hating Just I'm just letting you guys know they're they're on their way up. You know, just be bitter because we're taking over. They're ranked fifth they're ready, They're they're ready to go. They're thirty four and twenty one, take six in the Super Bowl. Lucas getting back right. That's the contest.
Speaker 5: The contest is that three years in a row now by the three point shootout? Is that the greatest three p that's not being talked about is Mack mcclunk.
Speaker 4: One, an irishman just went and took from you. I mean, y'all did give it to him this year. There were there was another fella that had better dunks than he did, that happened to be different than him. But you know, that's that's kind of sometimes that's the the you get the business. Well, sometimes the excuse is you get the benefit of the doubt, you know, that's all. It's like, oh my gosh, his dunk is so much better because he was able to do that dunk. Because fill in the blank is the dunk contest? The right of passage in the NBA not anymore?
Speaker 5: Well, no, no, no, But but like that's the wrong answer, because it's either right of passage or it's not.
Speaker 4: It's not anymore.
Speaker 5: Okay. So here's what I said, then, is if you are one of the all time greats Jordan did it, Kobe did it, Doctor j did it. Lebron's ever done it?
Speaker 4: Correct, That definitely works against him, Like what are you afraid of? Like, get out there and dunk, Which is interesting.
Speaker 5: Because you'd think he'd win one if he did do it, because he's maybe the greatest athlete the NBA has ever seen.
Speaker 4: You would think again, I said they made they made documentaries off of Michael Jordan doing dunk contests. I mean, you made it a point to redo space Jam. Why wouldn't you go out there and dunk? Like I felt like space Jam was a product of Mike Doan come fly with me, which was a product of him doing dunks in the dunk contests. Hey, you guys had your run. Well it's that bro cats, you just don't want to do it anymore, like if you had the best of the best doing it. But still with him the way his dunks are pretty fly, I'm not gonna lie to you, Like, no matter who would be out there, those dunks would be pretty hard to outdo, they'd be pretty hard to outdo.
Speaker 5: So good for he had a perfect score this year.
Speaker 4: I think when you see guys get the opportunity to showcase their athleticism in those dunk contests. I think that that's what makes them so cool to watch in the past. That's what I told you this on Maybe Q. You weren't on the show, but I was like, you got to know players that you wouldn't normally get to know, Like Kenny Skywalker is one of the biggest names that jump out at me where it was like I didn't know who he was. It was an obscure name. You wouldn't have known what team he played for, what he did, who he was. Then all of a sudden, you see this dude come out from the New York Knicks and he's doing like air ballet, Like the dunks he was doing were crazy for that time period, and he won, and people knew who he was after that, and he had a nickname Kenny Skywalker. Like I don't know, I just you know. I think it's changed. I think the idea of it has changed. I think what it represented changed. There was a lot of clout that was connected to whenning a dunk contest at some point in time, and I don't think that it exists anymore.
Speaker 5: So I bring this up because Brendan Hayward talked about the NBA All Star Games. Decline has basically occurred since Kobe left, and obviously Kobe did the dunk contest, but it brings up an earlier point where I was talking this week just about the difference between watching the Four Nations USA Canada game as compared to and on at the same time as the NBA All Star Game and the lack and intensity of it. And I think when I heard the comments from Brendan Hayward about, you know, the decline and why it's declined what he was talking about, I keep harkening back to this idea of intensity, and I think one of the things that stands out to me is if you look at the torch that has been passed from Michael to Kobe, Kobe, if you willed it to Lebron, those guys set the tone. Like I've always felt like, you know and walk through periods for football, for example, your leaders, your impact guys, your stars are the ones that set the tone. Like I'll never forget Von Miller when he came in as a rookie and he took every single period like it was a game rep. It didn't matter if it was a walkthrough, and I remember it literally used to cause fights with offensive linemen in Denver because of how hard he wanted to come off the ball and all that. And eventually, eventually what ended up happening was, you know, after the coaches would say something, the players would get in a fight and there'd be a little bit of that going on. They would just let him do his thing because he was obviously so successful at what he was doing. They weren't going to change what they were doing. But they weren't going to just do a full out one on one rep with them either. And I look at and I compare that to like, what what's happening in the NBA All Star Game is. You know, you had SGA, you had Wemby, you had guys who were out there competing and there's a level of intensity. But when Lebron sits out and when he's not a part of that, and when he's kind of been the the bearer, if you will, the torch bearer for the NBA. Now since Kobe, you look at it and say, like, well, how much responsibility does he really have in all this? Since he's ultimately the tone setter. You know, when things happen in the league, when there's a shape is shape, and a shakeup and different things that occur. He's usually behind the scenes part of it. Clutch Sports is behind the scenes part of it. And so I kind of look at it and go, well, is that part of the decline? The fact that, like, you've got someone who's who's obviously been one of the greatest of all time. There's no one going to dispute that. But are we at where we're at because of this transition in the way maybe Lebron views the league and Lebron views the NBA All Star Game as compared to Kobe and Michael and some of the other guys who kind of carried the ch for the NBA before that.
Speaker 4: I think what you're saying at the last part with Kobe and Mike, I think is what's damning. If what you're saying is true, If it's accurate that the decline is based off of, you know, what Lebron James does, then you're in trouble because when Michael Jordan was coming to the end, there were guys like Kobe Bryant that were there to be the mega star that was going to step in and be that next major figure. You had Shaquille O'Neill. You had the Vince Carters, you had Tracy McGrady. I mean, you had plenty of guys that were stepping up to be figures that kept the brand growing strong. Even as individual brands themselves, they were keeping the brand going strong again. I think that disconnect continues to the gap of that disconnect post Lebron is continuing to grow and whether people want to admit that or not, you can have the most talented because I don't think anyone will dispute the fact that guys are more skilled and more talented than what they've ever been. But there's not the same connection between the players and the fan base. It's just not the same for one reason or another, I don't know. But there is no anointed one that you're saying, Okay, when Lebron is done, this becomes the guy that you can hang That's the bell cow that you can hang our brand on, and he's going to carry it and continue to build. There's no we're going to have a conversation at the most brilliant thing that could have ever happened with Lebron James's era of time is that he became comparable to Michael Jordan in terms of being the greatest ever. That debate has kept him relevant and has kept the NBA relevant for all this time. And who do you have to say that about now? Name me one player in today's NBA that you would say. Now, people throw out the fact that that you have what was it, the Joker winning the MVP as many times as he's done, and then you compare that to some of the greats that have ever done it. But let's be clear, are we really going to say that we're going to carry the NBA brand with Joker? I don't think that's going to be I don't think that is going to be legit or feasible to think that he's going to carry the brand. I don't think he wants it either. For whatever it's worth, that dude likes gambling and.
Speaker 5: Horses, right right, he just loves horses.
Speaker 2: I'm just saying, just give that guy a horse and a sports book. He's fine.
Speaker 4: There's not a name. Anthony Edwards is a name that jumps out at you because he has the personality that intensity that you're you're talking about Q. He brings it to the game every single game he plays in. I think he just came out recently and said, man, I don't want to. I don't want to be the face of the NBA like I'm not. I just don't. I don't know who is, who will be, Who can carry that mantle, who can carry that torch. I don't think there's not Wimby. I don't see it being Wimby. Wimby's no different than you taught it, Tim Duncan. No, it's I don't know what it is. There has to be that IT factor that's there for that guy to do it. The only guy that has the IT factor you asked me is is Anthony Edwards. He's the only one that has the IT factor. He's the only Was.
Speaker 5: Magna clung that in the White Man Can't Jump remake?
Speaker 4: Was he?
Speaker 5: I don't think he was.
Speaker 4: Wasn't that there was a remake too? Wasn't there? By the way, Yeah, I didn't see it. By the way, talk about a movie that's been proven fiction dunked in whatdy Harrelson dunked in the movie Come on, fake false narrative he dunked in the movie. Did you see his calf muscles in the movie? He dunked he had bigger calf muscles than Wesley Snipes. I don't know what y'all hating all your own people for man, they feel like there's some bitterness for you.
Speaker 5: You know, we're taking over.
Speaker 4: I don't get it. We're taking over, Like take it over. You tripped out. The man has one interception for a touchdown. Now, y'all take it over the NFL. Right, If there's one you play pretty good. If there's one category and two sports where I'd say y'all ain't taking over no time soon. If ever is going to be football and basketball, I'm sorry. Like I told you, y'all stick to golf stick, the hockey stick, the horse ride and be a question.
Speaker 5: I think Tom Brady is still on the top of Mount Rushmore.
Speaker 4: Sure that's one player name name all the rest of the players that are the greatest players. Let's go. Let's go ratio. That's cause y'all love that's And the point is you prove the point. That's why y'all focus so much on quarterbacks. But you know what, we're coming for that too. Who is the MVP of the We're coming for that too. Who is the m v P of the NFL this year? Oh man, it should have been Squon Barkley who it should have been.
Speaker 6: That's that's what I'll say. But he didn't fit the criteria. Of course he didn't takeover, No, he didn't. Yeah, who won the Heisman this year? Who is the Heisman winner? Oh? Okay, I don't talk about Okay.
Speaker 4: Interesting, I just you know, Dylan Gabriel got well, Saquon Barkley got robbed. I mean, let's be clear, it should have been a clean sweep too, Offense defense, m v P. It should have been a clean sweep. But you know, you gotta maintain everybody out there don't hate me and call me a race bait or too, because that's Brady and and Jonas base just about what y'all want. Like, I'm not afraid to engage 'all. Y'all, we go from talking about the NBA also that all of a sudden, we're a race baker. Asked you guys, what guys could do it?
Speaker 5: Y'all said, kid, you sound like being Ryan Clark. Now you're getting.
Speaker 4: Victim. Don't do that. I am engaging two white males that want to make this and I'm going to get jumped on the X because I am the one that's responsive to what you are saying, I'm not afraid to respond. Just for those that are not familiar with the back and forth here, we did do a deal.
Speaker 2: There was a.
Speaker 3: Claim trade that was made months ago where we and this accepted terms were signed Patrick. We got Patrick mahomes large Babe Ruth all right, like, we feel like that benefits both teams looking forward.
Speaker 4: One is current and one is long gone. That that's that's super fair, super fair. But I took it.
Speaker 2: I want I want the Babe.
Speaker 4: Y'all see his list. Give us sets for I want the Babe. You are out of good throll man either.
Speaker 3: If you need to get your car together, go to Maco. Still driving that trusty old ride. Keep it looking sharp with Maco from dense to faded paint. We've got you covered. Get a free estimate today. Ut oh, better get Maco. Coming up next here though, on The Dan Patrick Show with LaVar Arrington, Brady Quinn and Jonas Knox filling in for DP and the guys, we're going to tell you about some changes, some changes to the playoffs that you can expect moving forward.
Speaker 2: That'll be yours here on FSR.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of the Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio WAPP.
Speaker 2: It's the Dan Patrick Show, Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 3: LaVar Arrington, Brady Quinn, Jonas Knox in for Dan and the guys. Coming up here in about twenty minutes from now here on Fox Sports Radio. Apparently there's an NFL team that's making an interesting move, interesting move money involved. We will get into that for you again twenty minutes from now here on Fox Sports Radio. So here we go. The College Football Playoff, which featured.
Speaker 4: A matchup I don't know if you guys knew this or not between Penn State and Notre Dame. The College Football Playoff could be getting very clear yesterday the SEC as a weapon. Yesterday, SEC Commissioner Greg Sankee Big Ten commission Tony Pettiti agreed that there should be a change to the way the twelve team College Football Playoff teams are seated, and the change should come this upcoming season.
Speaker 2: So for everybody out there that was bitching and.
Speaker 3: Moaning about you know, automatic qualifiers going to conference champions, whether it be you know, Arizona State getting a bye or the bye going to Boise State, don't worry.
Speaker 4: They've stepped up. But it looks like we could see a change coming up here pretty much. And what does that change?
Speaker 5: What is that rep Well, the change I think is going to be more in regards to the seating of how they go about doing it, which I think most would agree. If the top four teams the way they're ranked, however that falls out, those teams ultimately should be able to get to buy. And I think as far as how the rankings are awarded, it was a little bit confusing for some out there because they didn't really understand how the automatic qualifiers worked for the conference champions. And then when you had a team that was not within the autonomous for power for call what you will in Boise State, who gets a buy people were scratching their head going, wait a second, I didn't think that was possible. Or for example, the ACC champion Clemson, who was outside of the top twelve in the rankings, they still obviously get an automatic bid into the playoff, and so people are like, that doesn't make any sense. So I think what you're going to see as a change in the seating as far as how the teams one through twelve are going to be seeded once they get to the playoff. Now it could and by the way, it could be one through fourteen. It could be one through sixteen at this point, which if it's sixteen, we don't have to worry about buys, or we shouldn't. We should make them all play. I would say this though, was my biggest concern about where we are at with the college football playoff as it currently exists. If you start creating automatic qualifiers, what bothers me is this is not the NFL. And when I say that, I mean we understand that winning your division is paramount, all right. A division is comprised of four teams. Well, look at the how some of these super conferences are constructed. I mean you have Big Ten with what eighteen teams? You know, maybe it stops there, maybe it keeps growing the SEC et cetera, Big twelve acc And what we saw in year one was the difference sometimes in scheduling where a team like Indiana could potentially not have to really play anyone difficult outside of Ohio State. I guess you could throw Michigan in there, even though it was a down year for Michigan, and they beat them, They got them at home. So credit to coach Signettia and crew, But that wasn't the best Michigan team we've seen, right, Clearly the top teams were Oregon, Ohio State, Penn State as far as that goes, and then Indiana you'd probably say it was somewhere after that. So the general point is that if you start creating automatic qualifiers for the Big Ten and the SEC and really any of the conference for that matter, it takes away from the games. You're like, everyone knows the ending to the story, so it takes away from the intrigue of the regular season. Like, to me, that's one of the greatest things about sports is the fact that your regular season has to matter. And if you're now basically saying that, well, the top four teams from the Big Ten will get in, the top four from the SEC will get in, it'say, well, okay, I mean, how really hard is your schedule going to be? You know, as far as your non conference Do you need to schedule anyone tough anymore?
Speaker 3: Then?
Speaker 5: Or is it just about how you finished within your conference and how that that works out, how those tie breaking scenarios workout. So if they don't figure out a way for the final weekend, because ultimately what's being sacrificed is the conference championships. They're basically no one void because if there's an automatic qualifier, you'd almost rather not play as long as this season is. You'd almost rather be able to get a break, get extra rest, and if you're Ohio State, for example, be able to prepare for that home first round match of versus Tennessee and then go on the rest of the way on a warpath to win a national championship. So I sit there and just say, we got to be careful because if some of the powers that be aren't and they get a little too greedy, and I keep talking to you guys about how well you can do the math on this too. Think about this. If you get four guarantee teams in for each one of those conferences every year, you're guaranteeing what your conference is at least being paid out through that first round, which is obviously important for those conferences continue to separate themselves from the Big Twelve, from the ACC from every other group of five that's out there. So in part, it's about money, but it always is. But the other portion of this is we can't sacrifice the sanctity of what has always been a regular season sport and the different ways we've kind of anointed our champion with the way we're going about looking on at this playoff format, Like that's what concerns me the most about some of the discussion about these automatic qualifiers.
Speaker 4: And so not the number of teams, it's the automatic qualifiers. Here's what I'm curious about. If we're basing it off of the ratings, what you're rated is going to dictate where you're at. What rating are we using, ranking, ranking, ranking, what what ranking are we using? Are we using at ap which one are we using? Because to me, that has to be universal. If you have three different rankings and you have teams that are in different slots, then to me, that creates confusion. If you're if you're not going to honor the fact that a team actually some way, some how won their conference, If that's not going to be honored, I don't have a problem with that. If you're going to say we're using strictly rankings, then go with strictly rankings and that one established ranking body like you don't need a committee. You don't need a committee other than to say Okay, one plays this team, two plays this team, three plays this team. For one through eight, you just figure out who they play in the next eight or whatever it may be. But to me, if you're looking at it from the standpoint of we're looking at who wins the conference, it has to matter. It has to matter. I don't care if you were the best team all year and you find a way to lose and you don't make it into your conference title. That's what it's all about. If you ask me a team that was able to like take for instance, a team that I don't know, like Ohio State, doesn't play for the conference championship, but yet they play for the national championship and win. Like to me, okay, we could say that Ohio State, in theory was the best team all year, even though Oregon proved out to be the best team. I can't see myself taking away the value from Oregon winning the Big Ten because we're saying that this team over here, even though they lost and even lost to Oregon, is the best team in college football. Either you're gonna honor who wins their conferences and say this is a way for us to differentiate these groups in the Power for they won their conference. They're in either we're gonna differentiate it that way or we're gonna say we're totally going to the ranking system. And if you go to the ranking system, you can't have all these different rankings out here, ratings or rankings of the teams. You can't have it.
Speaker 5: But they don't factor in the coaches and ap and all that, Like that's not I mean, obviously, the College Football Playoff Committee uses all the different analytics, and they do factor in some of the different computer systems into their model and how they go about selecting. And in fact, like I didn't mind the BCS. I actually thought the BCS system which encompassed a lot and there was a human element, there was a computer element, And what I liked about the most, honestly was the numbers. You can kind of see how far certain teams were behind. But for the most part, it's been pretty lock and step what the committee has picked. There's been a few differences over the years, but for the most part, like it's been in essence and extension the committee has of the BCS, I would say with ninety some percent accuracy based on what the BCS would have been and that's ultimately what we go off of, at least in college football. Now, I think the next step moving forward, and it's too hard to do because you have more too many teams. And now maybe we get to a point where we do only have the Big Ten and SEC and they kind of create their own level of play and scheduling and a format for attorney the national champion, which I'm not trying to advocate for one way or another, but I'm just I'm saying, if you're looking for a more fair model, it doesn't seem like we have an issue with the NFL's model for a playoff system. How we go about determining the winner of division, the winner of the you know the ranking and as far as the conference, you know, the team that gets to buy and so forth, one through seven. That would be where you ultimately want to get to. But part of the issue with that is is one the college football playoff comte rankings don't come out to October. So if you're a TV network and you've paid all this money for the regular season, which all these networks have, you need something to sell them. It can't just be the brands themselves, right, Even though Ohio State Michigan will always be one of the highest rated games. It helps when they're one and two, right. It helps when we feel like there's something on the n line there for any of the matchups, any rivalry game, any of these Big ten matchups are big time matchups. It helps me have something to sell, and that's one of the reasons why the ap pole has continued to still be in existence. The coach is pulled to some degree, but really most publications use the ape pole until you get to the College Football Playoff and there's that transition to everyone then using the College Fotball Playoff ranking since they ultimately matter as the ones that we use to kind of sell the game and sell the excitement enthusiasm behind it and why people should watch. So you know, Unfortunately, we're not to a spot where I think we can remove rankings altogether. We probably never will because of the history behind it. But to me, at least, I do think being able to award to your point, the teams that I think not only win their conference if we're still doing conference championship games, but also the teams that should be you know, the top four ranked. If we keep it at twelve and there's four buys like that that ultimately should be how we go about receiving this thing after it's all said and done, before we play the playoffs.
Speaker 4: You mentioned the NFL way of doing it, isn't it too many teams outside of the power for that would get left out if that were the direction we went in, because there was.
Speaker 5: Too many forget to forget that, there's too many teams outside just the Big.
Speaker 4: Ten and SEC.
Speaker 5: Even with the Big ten and SEC, like they're gonna have combined more than thirty two, So it would be extremely difficult to do it. I think the other part is is you'd have a number of division winners who really wouldn't be and and it doesn't hold wait well yeah, I mean they just they wouldn't be as competitive like you would have teams that would win a division that you'd say they're going to probably get smacked or blown out. And so there's there's no real easy way of going about, you know, handling that outside of saying, if you're the Big ten, let's just say hypothetically, I mean, they can't do this, But hypothetically, if they had four divisions, if there were only sixteen teams and you sprinkled Ohio State, Penn State, Michigan, and that Iowa wiscons to take your pick one of the other divisions. You would basically be lining up the conference to have it play out so that you've got, you know, those four strongest teams win their division, then to make the playoffs to give you the best chance of advancing a team to the Super Bowl. E excuse me, to the national challenge.
Speaker 4: Uncomfortable conversation that has to take place is if you're not a power for you're not You're not eligible. I think that's the uncomfortable conversation that has to take place. Sorry, if you're not a power for a team, you're not you're not eligible to compete for the national title. And just know that going in. Just know that that's what you got to deal with going in, period.
Speaker 5: Buddy. I think it's going to go a step further where the uncomfortable conversation is going to be what do the Big twelve and ACC live Because it feels like at times, with the difference in what those conferences are paying out their teams compared to the Big ten and SEC, that the ACC and Big twelve right now are kind of closer to those group of five teams conferences. Yep, than then maybe they are the Big ten and the SEC. That's how it feels.
Speaker 4: It's going to turn into the Big ten, Big twelve. Done and you're going I mean SEC, Yeah, my bad. So basically what's going to happen to happen is you do a pro style model of how you get through each conference. Each conference is going to represent what the NFL represents, and then the winner out of If y'all say, okay, let's bring the best team from each conference and they play for the national title. I think that makes sense. You don't even have to have a tournament. You win to Big ten, you play for the national title, you win the SEC, you play for the national title against the winner of the Big ten, and then now I hate to say it, but then now Notre Dame has to make a choice. They got to decide are we going to Big ten route or are we going to SEC route? But we got to go into one because we want to be able to compete for a national title. I mean I think that that ultimately, that's what it sounds like, that might be what it would turn into. I mean, that would be the most logical way of looking at it. How many teams are in these how many teams are in these conferences?
Speaker 5: Now, it's what eighteen and the Big ten the SEC has what's sixteen?
Speaker 4: Now, so I mean that's that's not quite thirty two, but that's a lot of teams that is four. But yes, again, but I'm just saying, I'm just saying if each conference, like think, yeah, I guess I guess you could look at it as that represents the AFC and the NFC. I'm just thinking total in total, if one side represented in total, what the playoff? The playoff looks like, you know what I.
Speaker 5: Mean, Here's here's what it says that if that's the scenario we're talking about. Again, we're just hypothetical hypotheticals.
Speaker 4: That's hypotheticals.
Speaker 5: Is you wouldn't want to leave out programs like Miami, Florida State, Clemson, North Carolina. Like, there's a lot of other teams that are either part I mean even Colorado in the Big twelve, right, Texas Tech, who's been you know, times competitive, Oklahoma State, there's other teams that you could bring as part of this. Now, there'd have to be more expansion, But the truth of the matter is is, yes, there's a dividing line there. Maybe there's more realignment and waiting to happen, but at this juncture, it's there's still so much to be sorted out. So again, I understand the question about Notre Dame. Notre Dame has always found its place and found its way of still being a part of the process when it's all said and done. And I think that they would even in that case, while probably because because here's the here's the truth, Like, here's the here's the truth to all this. If everyone would have went the route of Notre Dame in football, I'm saying, in football, you go back eight years ago, all right, and we just say, hey, there's something coming, and there's gonna be realignment, there's gonna be all these shifts and changes, and maybe the patchfroll is not eve gonna exist, Like how can we avoid that? Well, let's just do this. Let's take football and all the Power five programs at that point, they're gonna go independent and we're gonna figure out another way of making their schedule and making a playoff system and everything else, and we're gonna keep everything else the same. We're not gonna demolish the PAC twelve because you know of football and have to sacrifice the softball team at UCLA flying across the country to go play Rutgers. You know, we're not going to force those teams to do that. We're just gonna take football. We're gonna have them construct their own schedule. However we deemed that fit based on it, could be the college Football Playoff, could have been whoever. But had everyone else gone that exact same route, we wouldn't be in this mess that we're in, at least in regards to the conference realignments and some of the difficulties that a lot of these schools are facing, and a lot of it from a monetary standpoint too, because they even though they're getting more from the conference they maybe joined, their expenses just went way up for travel and everything else that's involved. So that's how we complicated things. Instead of like everyone who in their free world wants to say, well, not do d even need Tom to join a conference, it's like, well, no, maybe you guys actually messed this up because instead of just allowing the conference to be what they may be, you guys should all want independent, at least in football, And then you could have constructed something that worked for just football, and we didn't ruin life, the student an athlete life for every other college and conference and sport out there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's it'll be interesting to watch how this all plays out, But it does feel like a lot college football is in its own category. And we were talking about this a little bit in New Orleans, like, I don't even think I don't like college basketball and college football feel like two different levels as far as interest what they provide, Like it just feels like college football is its own league, like the top two leagues in the world of sports, or the NFL, and then college football and everybody else is just sort of lining up, So it feels like they should be doing their own thing. But it is two pros and a cup of Joe.
Speaker 3: Here filling in for the Dan Patrick Show here on Fox Sports Radio, LeVar Arrington, Brady Quinn, Jonas Knox coming up next here. Though, we do have money money in the NFL, and if you've got it, you can be a part of the NFL in a very special way.
Speaker 4: We'll explain coming up right here on FSR.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 3: It's a Dan Patrick show here on Fox Sports Radio. LeVar Arrington, Brady Quinn, Jonas Knox in for Dan and the guys.
Speaker 2: Coming up here top of next hour.
Speaker 3: A little over ten minutes from now, we do have a little bit of an update on one of the big moves that could take place in the NFL this off season. That'll be yours here again top of next hour here on Fox Sports Radio. Just to let you know you are listening to us now, did you know you can also see us. Be sure to check out the Fox Sports Radio YouTube channel. Just search Fox Sports Radio on YouTube. You'll see a whole bunch of video highlights from our shows. Be sure to subscribe so you always have instant access to our Fox Sports Radio videos on YouTube.
Speaker 4: By the way, if you.
Speaker 3: Guys are interested in knowing in an NFL team, we do have an update for you here. Bloomberg is reporting via the Sports Business Journal that the forty nine ers quote exploring the sale of a ten percent stake in the team, and the offering would be based on evaluation of more than nine billion dollars, which would put the price of ten percent at more than nine hundred million dollars. I got twenty eight bucks right now on me. If you guys can come up with the rest, I'm in.
Speaker 4: And we could.
Speaker 5: I had a few hundred bucks for cash. I think my wife just gave it to our babysitter. So that's gone just like that. Huh. Well, she was like, hey, I forgot to go to the ATM and get some cash for the babysitter. I got think your wallet. I'm like, yeah, how much you need She's like, yeah, there's a few bucks. I went back and looked at my wallet. It's all gone, Wow, I don't even know how much I had in there. So it goes to show you I have no idea what's going on, but not sure I'm to be a part of that one.
Speaker 4: Yeah that's too bad.
Speaker 5: So I would I would if offered the opportunity, I'd try at least. I mean, i'd sell our home, make our kids have to live in a shanty or like a cardboard box outside.
Speaker 3: But yeah, well, I mean it would be in the Bay Area, so you know there's plenty of those around.
Speaker 5: Just because you own a piece of it doesn't mean you have to live there, Bud.
Speaker 4: Okay, well yeah, giving the options.
Speaker 2: All right, So this is the norm.
Speaker 4: Now, this is going to be happening more and more people kind of throwing out a percentage in there.
Speaker 5: The NFL state you can sell up the ten percent of your team. And here's the thing is the forty nine ers, their investment arm, has doved into it and dolving in a couple other ventures. And in part because if you look at a lot of these NFL franchises like now's the time to strike, I think, to get an infusion of cash from outside investors who want to be a part of it that aren't going to have as much control as you're going to have as the majority owner. But whether it's stadium innovations, whether it's you know, you want to help out your roster, whether it's an owner who wants to kind of put some of his pocket, you know, all those things are going to be sorted out. But there's also the opportunity to invest into other sports teams and ventures. You know, the forty nine, whether people know it or not, are the majority owner of Leeds United, which is an English you know, football team, and that team happens to be at the top of its league at this point. If it stays that way, they will get promoted to the Premier League. And once they get promoted to that level, there'll be an infusion about one hundred million in cash just from where they bought them when they got demoted or relegated and then from where they're going to be if they get promoted if things stay that way. And so there's reports now that the forty nine ers they may be interested in a Scottish football team, the Rangers FC, And so you know, we kind of heard about some of this because of Ryan Reynolds right with Wrexham. And obviously they bought it for cheap, they were I should say they bought it for good value. They were able to pump some money into it and make a documentary about it. Now people have become fans and this is kind of that trendy model of being able to take some of the things that you've been able to apply with your data analytics and apply it to operating other franchise as other teams to then have success. And with the way the relegation promotion model works, you can do it. I mean, the forty nine ers have have proven it I mean, there was a lot of speculation when they took over an English soccer team how this whole thing.
Speaker 4: Was going to go.
Speaker 5: And then what are these what are these bloats over here? And you know in the United States know about, you know, having a soccer team. Well apparently you know a decent amount, you know, based on how things have gone last year, where they got over ninety points, they were in the actual championship game for the playoffs, got promoted in this year so far sitting at number one, So this is not going to be uncommon. I think as far as teams getting an infusion of capital from private equity, but also because they think they have other interests. I think, you know, you see them looking to find ways of making money outside of just the normal operations of a football team.
Speaker 4: I wonder, you know, we talked about the oversaturation of the NFL. Has it hit its its bubble, has a hit its seal? I mean, I feel like selling off the fact that they're getting to the point now where they are selling off the percentages the ten percent of the franchises is like a slow way of backing out. It's a slow way of backing out. And if you're good money. If you're a good shrewd business man. I mean, if you're slowly backing out of something, chances are if you're trying to pull your money away from something, why would I mean, I guess if you feel like you want to run towards that with your money, maybe you do. But I don't know. That gives me pause, like thinking of the fact that you know, they want to get involved in other things, like you know that or whatever. I just I don't know, man. You know, you take your you take your eye off of what the main the main thing is, and the main thing changes and becomes something else, then the main thing isn't the main thing as it applies to what the old main thing was.
Speaker 2: You don't think they can multitasks?
Speaker 4: I mean they can and maybe they can. I just feel like that raises red flags to me. Like listening to how you just how you just explained it, that raises red flags to me. I mean, I'm just being honest. So there you go.
Speaker 5: That's it might raise red flag, but it's gonna raise a lot of green.
Speaker 4: Yeah, of course, of course, of course, But what does that mean for? I mean, that's green for the people who are involved with the ownership groups doing it. But what does that mean for the sport itself? You know, what does that mean for the NFL itself? You know, I don't know. He's in a good spot. Nine billion dollars, Yeah, a good spot to what to walk away? Like? Cash out? Like nine billion, nine hundred million, You starting to move away back out? I don't know. It's just a red flag to me. It's red flag. Come on, bar Man, go to break. What do you mean to break? To break? I don't know what you're doing right now. Damn