Speaker 1: Welcome to NFL Daily, where we never let our last second field goal get blocked. I'm here in the Chris Wesleyan podcast studio not annoyed at all that the Chiefs keep just winning these games somehow, next to my friend Patrick Claybon and joined by our friend Nick Shook live from Cleveland, who gets in his one word at the top of the show.
Speaker 2: One word to describe Week ten.
Speaker 3: So far grueling.
Speaker 2: Grueling. Okay, maybe he's.
Speaker 1: Talking about the late afternoon window. It disappointed us. And that's the great thing about this week ten recap show. Patrick, We just don't have to start.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we can just move that along as it did feel like like we were in line at like a Swedish prison and we were getting like ladled into us.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like in the late eighteenth like, oh, would you like a little more Cooper Rush. Oh, here's a little Trey Lance. No interception, No thank you.
Speaker 5: I'll deal with scurvy.
Speaker 1: That's why we start at the beginning, when there was a lot of excitement, a lot of great games, not a lot of results that I think shocked me. I'm not gonna say we're settling into the part of the season where we're figuring teams out because the second you think that it'll flip again. But this was a Sunday where I don't think there were a lot of results that were crazy, but there were results in games that were entertaining. Starting in Landover, Let's go to Steelers against the Commanders.
Speaker 6: Wilson settles, back, raises the foot, gets the snap back to pass looking gonna floated up left for Williams.
Speaker 5: And why.
Speaker 2: In the end zone you want to throw? Want to catch? Mike Williams did his first game in a Steelers.
Speaker 7: Uniform, has hauled in a thirty two yard touchdown stripe from Russell Wilson.
Speaker 3: Oh, he threw that ball Wang Dang doodle down the sidelines.
Speaker 2: I don't think I've ever seen anything like this.
Speaker 8: First target, first catch could be a game Winter Ker is unbelievable.
Speaker 2: That was Rob King and Craig wolf Lee.
Speaker 1: You'll hear from both Wolfley brothers on this show WDV E Yes, Mike Williams. His first target as a Steeler was one of those tier drop Russell Wilson throws that you know he's made famous.
Speaker 2: Twenty eight twenty seven.
Speaker 1: The Steelers hold on after a little bit of controversy after some stupidity by Washington in the following couple of minutes. But Nick, I'm gonna start this game without having one big takeaway because this was not a game for one big takeaway. That like, if you watch every single step. Jayden and Russell Wilson both struggled for good stretches of the game. They only threw fifty percent completion. Both special teams really messed up. You look at the final score, you think the defenses didn't play that well, but the two offenses barely averaged more than four yards per play. It was situational, it was coaching, it was a little bit of everything. But it ends with Russell Wilson making the plays, having a couple great throws in the fourth quarter, one to Pickens, one to Mike Williams, and the Commanders not being able to execute at the end, and after a while, I think you just have to believe that the Steelers at seven to two, are here to stay. They can beat good teams, they can beat bad teams, and that they're gonna be a main character in this AFC race the rest of the way.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I think that if this is no knock on Justin Fields, but if he was still their quarterback, this might have gone differently for them. This win, more than anything, I think justifies Mike Tomlin's decision to go to Russell Wilson in the.
Speaker 3: Way that they finished that game.
Speaker 9: But that's not the only, you know, main takeaway from the Steelers performance. What it really was to me visually was a battle between playoff contenders and the records match what we saw now not two elite teams, not a shootout, but a team that, you know, the Steelers is a good defense. It's gonna limit the strength of the Commanders, which is Jaden Daniels's Cliff Kingsbury offense, and they're kind of gonna go toe to toe, back and forth. They're gonna have some mistakes. Like if you look at the possession chart for the Steelers, first off, a ton of possessions, but secondly it ends an interception, fumble, touchdown, end of game. That's about the entire spectrum of how drives can finish for you, because it was that type of game.
Speaker 3: But a gritty win.
Speaker 9: For a Steelers team that just specializes in winning games like this no matter the quarterback, and because they have Russ, they're able to throw themselves to victory in not a desperate situation, but the situation in which he's under pressure. He throws it off his back foot and puts it perfectly on the new guy, Mike Williams, who makes a big play in a big spot.
Speaker 4: I joked because we had the day on the trade deadline. We had Tom Pellisero on NFL Fantasy Live and we're asking him about the Mike Williams trade, and literally there were six Mike Williams highlights in the package that we showed. All five of them were balls down the sideline, like go balls or deep shots down the sideline, and the meme and criticism of Russell Wilson's that's all he does. Okay, Williams comes in and his first catch is a go ahead touchdown.
Speaker 5: The Steelers were able to take risks.
Speaker 4: They had the fake punt early deep in their own territory, and they had that it was a good look, it was a good call, just execution, a drop out on the edge, and so the Commanders get their first scoring opportunity there. But what leaps off to me was I was thinking the Steelers defense would give Washington and jayde Daniels problems was scrambling.
Speaker 5: He had three carries for five yards.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And I went back and looked his entire career at Arizona State and at LSU. Only one game where he had less than five yards rushing. It was when they got blown out by Georgia in twenty twenty two. Other than that, that's a that's one play for Jane Daniels. The Steelers were able to shout them down all game.
Speaker 1: They had a great rush plan where I think they decided to give up a little bit of you know, getting sacks. It wasn't a huge sack day for them to stay in there, you know, with their integrity. And Tomlin said after the game, like you got to be careful comparedring him to Lamar Jackson. That's a multi time time MVP. That's mister Jackson. We'll see him in a few days. And I think what he was saying was just look, he's done it before against Lamar Jackson. Let's see what Jane Danis can do. And they only had sixty yards rushing the Commanders all day. I think they missed Brian Robinson. And you're right pointing out how many possessions they had. That short touchdown drive was part of a first quarter where they had four possessions and they barely moved the ball at all, like three three and outs. He just hadn't seen this. And yet they did get a lead because they got a short field. They had a nice touchdown drive before halftime. They were really good situationally. They had another one coming out of the half and they're kind of rolling. Cliff is getting Terry McLaurin open. I'm so impressed with how Cliff Kingsbury has called games this year. And I flip it around and when they were in a good spot, thinking they're going to be able to stop Pittsburgh, and I'm wondering, like, why aren't these teams playing Russ with split safeties anymore. I texted our our friend me and about it, and she's just going crazy because eighty three percent they played cover three today. Russ was won for three for thirteen yards against Cover three, and like, that is his one move, and I think, if you're a defensive coordinator, you got to do everything you can to stop it. Because otherwise their running game was okay, I would say on Sunday, but the passing game was very erratic.
Speaker 2: They had the great.
Speaker 1: Touchdown early that Pickens adjusts for there's another deep sideline that Pickens makes a great play.
Speaker 2: But otherwise it was a lot of go balls that Russ likes.
Speaker 1: To throw to Calvin Austin and Van Jefferson, and they were not working. So this was a game with a lot of possessions. It was really intriguing both ways because Washington couldn't get much of a pass rush except for Frankie Luvu on a blitz. Their natural pass rush wasn't working. It was two I think really well coached teams, which is why the ending was a little surprising. Let's break it down here that Commanders get the ball back after that touchdown that we just heard, and Washington starts moving the ball. They don't get the first down on a play a fourth and nine to zach Ertz where he's coming back from the ball. They rule him just short. The replays aren't really conclusive. I actually think they probably made the right call. It was it was tough to really figure out. The Steelers get the ball back, just needing one first down to really ice the game. They get it to a fourth and one at midfield, they go out. Then they rushed to the ball to get a snap, they are able to draw Johnny Newton off side.
Speaker 2: Game over.
Speaker 1: They were never gonna snap the ball, they were gonna punt it away. So in the end, in a coaching game where the margins were so slim, I think like the Steelers kind of won it in the end, and a rookie on Washington's side, you know, failed them, and Pittsburgh gets out of here with a win.
Speaker 9: Yeah, and that was a bummer for Newton in that instance, you knew they were never going to snapt the ball. At one point they thought they were gonna put the pun team out there. Then also the offense trots back out. But it is what it is. That's what happens when you're a young player in the NFL. On that spot, though, they did get the right call, like it was correct, he was short, but where they actually spotted the ball was wrong.
Speaker 3: I just won't point that out.
Speaker 9: And I know I'm completely splitting hairs, but he was not at the forty two. His foot was at the forty two. The rest of his body was near the forty one. So let's just get that straight.
Speaker 4: I'm with you on that, Nick, and I think it's something that again, it maybe only bothers those of us who truly are frustrated with consistent spotting of the football. But if you're gonna review whether or not the line to gain was obtained, at the very least, the very least we could do is put the ball on the right spot. The Steelers are gonna get the ball exactly. The Steels are gonna get the ball anyway. Okay, But I would just like to have seen it, because if it's in a challenge situation, we see it happen a lot where the coach is challenging that they didn't get the line to gain, but the challenge does reveal the spot was way off. I think coaches shouldn't lose that challenge. But ultimately, yeah, it's a rough one for Johnny Newton. You could see you could sell in the Steelers body language after they got him to jump off sides that there it was.
Speaker 5: In fact, no way they were going to snap the ball.
Speaker 4: That's why they were celebrating so viciously, like six Russell Wilson fist pumps to go with it.
Speaker 1: Brett Russell had some nice dance moves afterwards, like I haven't seen him move that well on the field in a while he did have one scramble like for six yards that was kind of key. I was like, okay, he's moving a little bit better. I will point out I think Jane Daniels a little off in this game.
Speaker 8: Now.
Speaker 1: It might have been what the Steelers were showing him before after the snap, but he just missed about four or five throws that would have made a difference by just a couple of yards, like a Noah Brown throw on that final drive right before the fourth down, where Noah Brown had a chance to come back and catch it. But if he had led Noah Brown, I think, you know, maybe he makes that catch. There was a big miss to McCaffrey. There was a couple others where maybe he didn't lead receivers in such a way, and just a couple of misses that we hadn't seen from Jane Daniels most of the season. I'll give the Steelers a lot of credit. I think we're kind of confusing him. He only ends up fifty percent completion, massive win for the Steelers to get to seven to two, cause their skeed is so tough coming up. The Commanders fall to seven and three, and while we're giving Russ some love. Let's look at his Instagram posts because I thought this was cool. Two of the class of two thousand and twelve, him and Bobby Wagner both getting it done in this game. They signed each other's jerseys. Forever, legendary, forever brothers. Love you for life, Bro. They gave us an F grade in twenty twelve. This is true that I do remember. Actually, there were some like f's the Seahawks.
Speaker 5: Did not heed and shame.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this isn't one where it's a straw man, because I remember this was a story.
Speaker 2: For a couple of years after that.
Speaker 1: There were their draft grades were not great when they drafted the great Russell Wilson and Bobby Wagner maybe someday teammates in Canton. Let's go to Arrowhead, where, yes, the Chiefs are quarterbacked by.
Speaker 2: A man who will one day in being kitting himself.
Speaker 5: Who looks for Boonie to snap, Riley to hold wot's the kick to watch.
Speaker 2: That is the great Kevin Harlan.
Speaker 1: We usually go locally, but Kevin Harlan's so freaking awesome.
Speaker 4: I hope to one day do something one time as good as Kevin Harland is on the microphone.
Speaker 2: That was the call of the block heard around the world.
Speaker 1: Leo Chanel, what a season this guy is having, gets the block more on him in a minute.
Speaker 2: Sixteen to fourteen looked like the Chiefs were.
Speaker 1: Finally gonna get picked off. Everyone would have been saying they were looking ahead to the bill.
Speaker 2: I don't know about that. It was a division game.
Speaker 1: Broncos played well, but not well enough. They fall the five and five and the Chiefs remain undefeated. Patrick at nine to zero, Nick, Rather, it's your game. When you saw that happen, did you think, like ba don't lie that the Chiefs played well enough to win?
Speaker 2: Or were you just like, now, come on, man.
Speaker 9: No, I was bumped for the Broncos because they played well. Win Bonnicks had a great game. He had a rough second half, but he put together a great drive to get them in position. There he converts a third and six with a thirteen yard pass to Courtland Sutton. Broncos fans are going crazy both there, in Denver, online, everywhere. They're gonna pull it off. They bleed the clock down. They're in perfect position for Will Lutz to hit a relatively simple field goal, and then the overload block from the Chiefs just barrels through the left side of that.
Speaker 3: Line and they get the block.
Speaker 9: You know, if it wasn't Leo Chanalho got it, I think somebody else probably would have got it, because they obliterated the left side of that line there.
Speaker 3: They were all out going for it, and I don't know if it was an.
Speaker 9: Answering of a prayer, but the Chiefs were in dire straits there. And really it started on the previous offensive POSSESSI where it's third and goal and Patrick Mahomes as Travis Kelsey opened in the end zone and he sails it over his head. They have to settle for a field goal, which then opens the door for the Broncos to get down there. But yeah, I thought the Broncos played well enough to win. They played probably one of their best games of the season. They came out hot, they took a fourteen to three lead. Bonnicks was firing passes all over the field, but Steve Spagnello's defense did just in the second half, they got more pressure on him. They had a Nick Bolton sack on the second or third down, a long, huge loss that set them back and they had to punt and give the ball back to the Chiefs. So a back and forth game, a classic divisional rivalry. But the first time really I've seen from the Broncos where I thought, you know, there might be a little bit of fraudulents to this team. They went toe to toe with the Chiefs in a low scoring affair, and the Chiefs were the same offense they were and at the end of the day, the special teams build them out.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and coming into the game, this was something Greg Rosenthal predicted that the Chiefs offense, despite how they looked against Tampa Bay, going in a familiar team against the Vance Joseph defense that has given them problems over the past few years, would slow things down. Now again, Mahomes Salem won over Kelsey's head. That's just the universe. Sometimes it just doesn't necessarily work out. But I wondered watching as you mentioned, showed that just the wave of Chiefs defenders over the left side of that field goal unit, if we're not seeing the lingering impacts of the Giants and the whole down block kick where we've said multiple guys get jumped over, and so now perhaps these protectors are a little more upright in these pressure situations and getting bowled over just something to jump out.
Speaker 9: That's a losing strategy. Patrick low Man wins. That's the basis of football right there.
Speaker 1: Well, my old boss Florio did some good reporting on this, talking to Chanelle after the game, and they said some tape study just how the person he was going against had set up the last time, you know, indicated he would be vulnerable to just like a power rushing move that they could get him off his feet. But Chanelle pointed out, what you did, Nick, was that we had the time, we had their snap timed up so well that everyone was getting through. So something that they saw on tape just great job. It comes down to special teams. They've been one of the best coach special teams for a long time. It's Dave Tabb there, right, And so the Chiefs get a special teams win. They can win all sorts of different ways. What did you think about how Mahomes look And yes, Vance Joseph held this team to fourteen points per game last year. They beat them by two scores last year in one game. I know that Chiefs team was struggling at the time, but it was twenty four to nine in one of that Broncos games. So it doesn't surprise me coming off a short week, coming off a week where they had a ton of plays against the Bucks eighty three plays on offense specifically, and the Broncos really good defense takes advantage. What did you see out of Mahomes, because yeah, I heard some that you know, maybe didn't looked a little gimpy on the ankle, and the red zone efficiency not great. Kareem Hunt leads them and receiving which is a little weird.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they had some struggles in the red zone.
Speaker 9: But what really stood out to me was Denver's defense found a way to generate pressure all afternoon.
Speaker 3: Nick Benito went crazy against them.
Speaker 9: In fact, he should have had another sack, but he slipped off of Patrick mahomes shoulders and then he throws a pass down the sideline to samaj p Ryan, which then prompts Kevin Harlan.
Speaker 3: To go how does he do it?
Speaker 9: It's true like it's a magic act that Mahomes pulls off, but they weren't as frequent as they were in past games. They very much looked like the same offense, except the pressure rate was so much higher. Their success rate drops down to thirty six point nine percent offensively for the Chiefs and a huge that was a result of this Denver defense, which did a great job. They finished the four sacks they were getting after them all day, and it kind of undercut a lot of what they do offensively, which is not spectacular.
Speaker 3: They did take a couple of shots.
Speaker 9: He had Xavier Worthy down the sideline, kind of missed him toward the sideline out of bounds, and then Worthy got up slowly after that. So just one of those challenging games, and I think familiarity had a lot to do with it. Dead had a good game plan and they were able to execute. The only downside for them is that they came out as the loser.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's listen to Sean Payton reacting to the loss.
Speaker 10: It felt like we all played him, but we didn't finish, and we had an opportunity to Right at the end, we kind of controlled the.
Speaker 8: Ball and.
Speaker 10: We got to be able to finish that one'll we'll take a while.
Speaker 1: It'll sting, Yeah, it will, because they're at five and five and just the way their schedule sets up, that could have given them some cushion where they're like just solidly in for a while. Now they have Atlanta next week that's kind of a coin flip game. But then they have some easier games Raiders, Browns by weekend, then the Colts, and then they at Chargers at Bengals Chiefs. So the Broncos are going to be right in the thick of this. This would have given them a little bit of breathing room before some of those tougher games.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and and to make things worse, as as you guys pointed out that this is a this is a team that they're they're really familiar with, they knew that they had this opportunity. Patrick Mahomes got pressured on twenty of his dropbacks, which is the most pressure rate wise since that Broncos game the two referenced wow last season.
Speaker 1: I gotta say he doesn't allow that much pressure because pressure can be a quarterback start stats sometimes and usually he just avoids it gets rid of it.
Speaker 4: But even with the way that MNGS is generating pressures, and we talk about it's kind of a proximity alert, and it just shows that Vance is able to get bodies around Patrick Mahomes where other teams don't necessarily get that. Maybe they don't feel comfortable doing it, but the Denver Broncos have the personnel and they have the game plan to be able to do this.
Speaker 5: It's just you gotta you gotta protect me.
Speaker 2: And Broncos fans like they want everyone to just like.
Speaker 1: Admit, like just give bo Nicks the credit, like he's got as many touchdown any rookie. But it's like Bonnicks is getting better. I think it's the most important thing about this Broncos season is that bo Nicks has had a steady incline. I'm not saying he's like gonna be a superstar, like we don't know where it goes, but it's been obvious steady progress to being a capable starter. Before we go, I want to give a little love again to our friend Kevin Harlan and then to Travis Kelsey because he doesn't get enough love.
Speaker 2: He set a record today.
Speaker 5: Gray the tight end.
Speaker 8: Mahomes to the touchdowns till Tom chis glitting Tex Dolly say.
Speaker 5: Some mahomes that we'll give you something to sing.
Speaker 1: About, perfectly timed with the shot of Taylor Swift. No one's doing it better than Kevin Hart, no one's doing it better than Mahomes and Kelsey. What a big play that was down fourteen to three on fourth down, Kelsey somehow gets a free release. His numbers have been awesome, especially since Hopkins showed up eight for sixty four in a touchdown for Kelsey.
Speaker 2: So they win. What about the team that they defeated in the Super Bowl last season to Tampa to win the game?
Speaker 11: The North up rights and if fire a cannon shot right at the Pirates ship and win the game, Chaber Pepper will snap to Mitch Wishnowski number four.
Speaker 2: We'll try to make it here.
Speaker 11: Good snap, Jake has it away, Jake has the distance, and Jake Moody.
Speaker 8: Is good money.
Speaker 11: Wow, somehow someway the Niners winning Champa beee.
Speaker 1: That was Greg Papa on k nb R. Yes, a game that changed in so many different directions. I don't even want to talk about it. I just want to give it to the man who was locked in because I feel like so much happened in this game that I don't know what happened in this game, Nick took where do you want to start?
Speaker 3: It started with Rock Party. Everybody can talk about Christian McCaffrey's back.
Speaker 9: That's gonna change the offense, and he finished with over one hundred yards from scrimmage, which is great, right, But what really propelled them to victory was brock Perty's.
Speaker 3: Ability to overcome adversity.
Speaker 9: He finished twenty five or thirty six or three fifty three and two touchdowns. A lot of these drives stalled. A lot of these drives stalled and ended in Jake Moody missing field goals. He missed three of his six attempts today. Like he got to the point where I was like, are they gonna leave him on the tarmac when they go back to Tampa Airport and fly home?
Speaker 3: Because it was that ugly. I thought.
Speaker 9: He cost them a number of points obviously, and put them in a position where they could potentially lose the game.
Speaker 3: But when he gets.
Speaker 9: Down to the final seconds, he was able to squeeze one inside the upright and get that money. Moody call if they don't get there without party playing the way he did today, And he wasn't perfect.
Speaker 3: He put some.
Speaker 9: Balls on the wrong shoulders, guys and everything else, but he consistently moved this ball down the field. For the forty nine ers, they nearly double the Buccaneers in total yards four thirteen to two fifteen, and that's only with a three minute difference in time of possession. That's how efficient their offense was. They kept getting down there, they just couldn't finish drives. He made one spectacular play rolling out on the left and he has basically nowhere to go and Kittle hit scramble. Drill goes to the back corner of the end zone and pretty puts one perfectly on him. He makes a tot tapping grab in the end zone for a touchdown in a back and forth affair that required a full sixty minutes of effort from both teams, and the Niners were on the ropes. The Buccaneers led an incredible drive where Baker converts a fourth down while he's got a stiff arm holding out Nick Bosa off of him as he just lets one go out of desperation.
Speaker 3: They convert.
Speaker 9: They get down to the seven, and then they get stopped and they have to settle for three, which opens the door for them to get back down the field and kick the game winning field goal, Jake Moody getting it done there. So I think it's a win that's typical of the Niners this season. Nothing is easy for this team, at least when it comes to final score. Even when they win games like against Dallas, you know, they had to explode for points and then it got close Laid a few weeks ago, they lost that game to Arizona. There at one point, Debo is getting in an argument with the kicking unit on the sideline that gets physical for a second. Like the vibes are not good, but it was really good for them to get this win and get over five hundred on a very trying day in Tampa.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if you're watching on YouTube, you can you can see the picture of Deebo swiping at the long snapper Taber Pepper and Jake Moody. And that's crazy because like he Debo straight up pushes the long snapper in the neck, who then follows after him. Deebo talked about it afterwards and played it down, said like we'll talk with you know afterwards. Jake knows it's not serious, and I think the long snapper was kind of like, leave my guy alone. Whatever you guys talking about. Debo said, it wasn't a big deal. I you know, I lost my head a little bit, but uh, you can't be swinging at your long snapper in the neck now during the game.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Debo says, it's probably a big deal. Not a big deal because of the player was directed at. You know, we gotta go look it up on the roster to see who the forty nine ers a long snapper is. Is not thinking too much about other than Taper Pepper.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Tamer Pepper.
Speaker 4: He's got a fun name to say, and perhaps if things go great for him, we'll never say it again because that's the only time shout out to Trey Dunk. And we think about long snappers, especially with the San Francisco forty nine ers. But looking over, it's hard to go away from this game thinking anything other than because Baker mayfield stat line eighteen to twenty nine hundred and sixteen yards and a touchdown. Nothing really to sneeze it. But this Tampa Bay Buccaneers team is hurt. They were down, the forty nine ers, were coming off the by They just lost an overtime game in the rain to Kansas City, and as Shuk said, they did not go away. It wasn't just that play. Baker had another incredible play avoiding a sack later on that drive, and perhaps they got rescued. The forty nine ers did by the motivation of Deebo Samuel because Jake d didn't miss that after that incident.
Speaker 1: There, Yeah, he actually even said, like, you know, he was trying to give Moody all the credit, but he kind of made it sound like maybe he motivated Moody and they were like, are you taking a little credit for it? He was like, no, no, they deserve all the credit, you know, for making that kick. Afterwards, like this could be a rare case where if Jake Moody wasn't drafted, I think he might get cut after hitting a game winning field goal. But because they drafted him, they've really stuck with him for so long that maybe they'll bring in another kicker. Who knows. I hear you on what you're saying about the Buccaneers. They're a really fascinating team at four and six. This game reminds me, just box score wise, a lot of the Lions game, which they managed to win despite getting doubled up in total yardage. And they've had a really hard schedule and they keep just losing these heartbreakers often to you know, really good teams. Here's their schedule after the bye, and this is why they're still relevant At four and six Giants, Panthers, Raiders, Chargers, that's a tough one. Cowboys, Panthers, Saints. Those are six of the very worst teams in the NFL out of seven games coming up. So they have been consistently playing above their skis. And they get Mike Evans back, I think they have a chance. But Nick, I want you to tell me, well, first of all, let's listen to the call of that Baker play, because that was one of the best plays I think I saw all year.
Speaker 10: Fifty percent of the time.
Speaker 5: Can we get seven yards Baker, bay Field get into.
Speaker 10: The forty four Candlin good snap dropping pressure coming out of the pocket, Bayfield with a step far, looks up field, looks up Field, throws them all hits caught first out at the forty five yard line. First not White pull a defender hanging on to my field and he pulls a pass up for grabs a gain of eight on third and fourth and seven.
Speaker 12: And he had Bos holding him by one arm, and he's running and running extending the play.
Speaker 1: Truly amazing the game on the line fourth and seven.
Speaker 2: Gotta have it that.
Speaker 1: Truly the game is over if he doesn't pick it up, He's hanging all over him. Tom Brady says, that's one of the best players I've ever seen. So I want you to explain to me, Shook, How how did they only end up with one hundred and five yards net passing three point four yards per play and Baker's pulling off magic like that.
Speaker 9: Well, because they had three drives of double digit plays the entire game. You went punt, punt, field goal, punt, punt, touchdown, touchdown. That's when the game got really interesting because it became a back and forth, a fairy at that point, three and out, three and out field goal, and that triflely covered nineteen yards because thirty nine came in penalty for a total of fifty eight. So it was it was one of those games where, like the Niners were in a bit of a meltdown on that drive, all the momentum is going in the buccaneers favor. Kevin Berkhart and Tom Brady are completely lost in the sauce of the moment, like losing their minds over the fourth down conversion, the fact that they're even in a position to potentially win the game, and then they run it twice on first and goal from the seven, go absolutely nowhere, kind of box themselves in and has to settle for a field goal. So that's kind of what I mean. It was like offense in small spurts. The reliance on Kate Otten was not there like it was before. He finishes with five for thirty five. Like it was very much a checkdown to Rashad White. He had a really great screen pass for a touchdown, perfectly executed. They got Fred Warner out there and then sealed off and White made a perfect kind of dance move through the traffic into the end zone. But like the highlights in this game were it like there was no like sustained drives. Otherwise it was just like scoring drive and three and out three and out through and out scoring drive. So you could watch the highlight package, you basically get the whole story of this game, at least from the Buccaneers perspective.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I thought Christian McCaffrey gets over one hundred yards from scrimage, but only three yards per carry on the ground against a bad run defense. There were a couple cuts in this game where I just thought, Okay, let's like give it a couple of weeks I want to watch I want to watch it a little closer, more personally, but maybe not quite the CMC were used to.
Speaker 3: He didn't.
Speaker 9: He didn't quite have the explosiveness that you expect from him as a runner. But I thought the best play that he made was he ran the wheel right out of the backfield, did a little bit of a stutter step against the defensive back, and Purty laid it out there perfectly for him to catch and run and it was a big completion in the time in that game. That was probably his best contribution, and you know, a little bit of a quiet contribution, Like you know, he breaks one hundred yards, but he wasn't the star of the show. What else can we expect from somebody who's spent you know, all the season up until this week trying to get back and get healthy with a muscle injury that you know tends to affect your explosiveness.
Speaker 3: This is pretty much what we should expect.
Speaker 1: Meanwhile, Piercell is a real thing. A forty six yard touchdown in this game goes four for seventy three. Juan Jennings is back healthy. That really helps them. He's a reliable receiver in a way that Debo is just a different category and he comes back with ninety three yards. So all their big receivers had a thirty plus yard catch, which is crazy. Jennings, Pierce, All, McCaffrey, Deebo and kitt All. The numbers looked like the Kyle Shanahan with CMC numbers that you're used to seeing, and this was a massive win for them to get to five and four. I'm glad this NFC West Race is going to be fun. And I'm telling you don't dig dirt on this Bronco, this Bucks team just yet. We're just getting started on NFL Daily. Going to take a quick break and be back to see how Eric's bills.
Speaker 2: I mean, you kind of know how he did. He's in a good mood, which.
Speaker 13: Tight ends sid Taylor to the right of Flacco in the shotgun on first and ten from the Buffalo forty five. Another fake handlef back to pass pressure coming and looking for Pierce.
Speaker 1: And it's picked off by Taylor Rap.
Speaker 14: It was tipped by Alec Pierce and Rap was all over it.
Speaker 2: It's another takeaway for Buffalo.
Speaker 1: Twenty three to thirteen was the score when Taylor Rap made that interception. The Bills finish off the Colts in a thirty to twenty victory that probably wasn't even as close as.
Speaker 2: The score indicated. Patrick sometimes we play touchdowns.
Speaker 1: For this highlight, we played a turnover because it it just felt like that was the story of the game.
Speaker 5: It was the story of the game for both teams. The turnover play game.
Speaker 4: There were five interceptions, but Josh Allen makes plays with his legs six point three yards per carry, enough for fifty yards.
Speaker 5: As well as a rush touchdown.
Speaker 4: The defense picking off Joe Flacco three times once where it's tough to rank them in terms of decisions from Joe Flacco because that last one Alec Pierce, fully extended at six feet three inches tall with a seventy eight and a half inch bakes fan that goes off his fingertips, So I'm not putting that one on Alec Pierce. The first one was a pick six on the opening drive from Tarron Johnson, but that pick against where it goes off of Alec Pearce's hands kind of seals the deal, and it kind of wastes a very solid performance from Gus Bradley's defense. I had been maligning this season Josh Allen hadn't thrown a single interception against zone coverage all season.
Speaker 5: He gets got twice today, won by E. J. Speed.
Speaker 4: The Colts playing a ton of zwe but Josh Allen wasn't good in the snicks, snicks and snaps. Excuse me of man that they played with no key On Coleman Noah Mauri Cooper both out with risk injuries. The Colts run game played well seventy eight yards over expected for Jonathan Taylor twenty one carries one hundred and fourteen yards, but not enough to overcome these Flacco ironts. There was also a Greg Russo stripsacked that Damar Hamlin recovered for the Bills, a workman like road win in the AFC for both.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Dalton Kincaid also left this game with an injury. I think it came back in and out. He said he just didn't feel good enough to protect himself out there, so we'll see if he's available. So any wins you can get when you're missing three of your biggest weapons, you know with it shows you the depth that they can still get production out of Khalilshakire and James Cook in the running game. But Yeah, their defense. It's why the Bills are so good. They can win all sorts of ways. It's crazy that there was a sequence, a six play sequence in this game where Joe Flacco was strip sacked and then threw a pass that should have been a pick six, and then a couple snaps later had a fourth and two where he just couldn't get rid of the ball and got sacked. So whatever you were going for with Joe Flacco, it's turned out even worse. And you could have possibly imagined because you've cranked up the negative plays to one thousand, but you actually haven't gotten many of the big plays.
Speaker 5: Suck.
Speaker 9: Yeah, for those watching on YouTube, you saw a look on Joe Flacco's face as soon as that ball was picked off. I think that explains the state of the Colts offense right now and especially in the last two weeks, which is, Hey, we're gonna make the change to Joe Flacco for the rest of the year because he gives us the best chance to win. And since then he's done nothing but turn the ball over fairly consistently. He had two touchdown passes today but three interceptions. They had four total turnovers. You lose the turnover battle, you're gonna lose the games, especially against teams like the Buffalo Bill's success rate below forty percent for this offense. They're searching for answers and they lose a game in which Taylor goes twenty one for one to fourteen. Like, at this point, it makes you question the whole decision. And I hate to do it because they've already committed to it. But did you act a little too quickly there, thinking like we gotta win games. Now we're gonna go to Joe flaccoh you gotta remember this guy is near forty years old.
Speaker 3: Maybe it wasn't the smartest decision right now.
Speaker 5: No, it wasn't.
Speaker 4: And you wonder now what the long term aspirations and how you try to game out the rest of the season with any particular decision that they could make at quarterback. But no, we have the benefit the hindsight. Some of us thought after immediately when the decision was made that it doesn't necessarily do anything for the Colts.
Speaker 1: Well, Shane Steiken hit the reporters with something that an adult says to their child often, which he said, until I say otherwise, Joe is the starter, So like just stop until I say otherwise, Like, just stop asking me. There was another time he said, as of now, there are there's different reporting in Indianapolis about like whose decision is this? I think the front office would have wanted Richardson the whole time, Like the group that drafted. Ownership is a different matter. There's no way to know what ownership wants. There's no way to know for sure what Shane Stiken wants until I say otherwise. Joe is the starter is fascinating because they're right in mix in the AFC at four and six. The AFC is different than the NFC in terms of that last spot. It's gonna be wide open between let's just say that the Bengals, the Broncos, and the Colts. We got a ways to go, but right now there's at least one spot for those three teams, and the Colts are are one loss back and they're gonna feel like they're in it. And yeah, on a day where you're able to pick off Josh Allen a couple of times, you want to have a better final result than that.
Speaker 9: If I'm assigning competence points to these teams, like you just mentioned three teams right there, right the Bengals, the Broncos, and the Colts. The Colts are a distant third as they stand right now. Not that flac All isn't gonna be able to rediscover that magic, but whatever they're doing right now is not working.
Speaker 3: His accuracy is a little bit off. Some of it might have to do with pressure. I know it did the week prior.
Speaker 9: But like, I feel better even about Bonnicks in the way that they run that offense and get him out on the perimeter, and about the Bengals, Joe Burrow having a fantastic year and just trying to keep that team afloat by himself that I do about this team right now.
Speaker 1: So they're filling up the fantasy stat sheet, though, Pierce gits like the yards who dropped a touch To be fair, Josh downs dropped the potential touchdown early.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that was one that was still a game.
Speaker 1: Yeah eighty Mitchell goes for seventy one yards. So yeah, let's listen to the Josh Allen rushing touchdown which came in the second quarter. At this point, the Colts were leading late into the second quarter.
Speaker 5: Allan in the shotgun, here's the snaff and off.
Speaker 2: No, it's a keeper for Allen through.
Speaker 14: The left side ten five and he's into the end zone for the touchdown.
Speaker 2: The Beast has been released.
Speaker 14: At thirteen yard touchdown run by Allen.
Speaker 1: And yes, that was the most effective play in football that Josh I was waiting for it.
Speaker 2: Now, now you misquoted me once.
Speaker 1: You said that's like the bet, like the he's the best runner in football, you said, I said once, it's not that like when he runs, it's the most effective playing football, like every every time, it's like on a per play basis, it's a first down, it's a touchdown. They get through this game when my MATC Collins is your wide receiver one and you get a win on the road, Like, that's a good organization. Eight and two headed into this Chiefs showdown. I'm excited for it. Let's go to another game that Patrick and I were very excited to watch.
Speaker 2: In the newsroom.
Speaker 1: We tried to say, you know, the late window wasn't that exciting, but this one was exciting. It's time for the Sunday Drive, presented by the all new hybrid Toyota Camry.
Speaker 2: To the desert.
Speaker 12: Snap to Murray, drop straight back, a fake right corner, the ends on Harrison Cole want.
Speaker 2: A catch with one hand for a touchdown.
Speaker 12: Horbyn Harrison Junior holds it in with his right arm. Just a gorgeous drop in the bucket by Murray.
Speaker 8: Spin the pig, Kylo Spinens drop it. Sut dimes these drops into the buckets right over the shoulder. Marvin Harrison Junior spin that pig.
Speaker 1: Cool of Kyler, Yes, the second Wolfley the best brother combo in the league.
Speaker 2: Ron and Craig.
Speaker 1: It's also Dave passion involved their KMVP. Marvin Harrison catching that pig. Kyler spun that pig two incompletions on a day where he scored three touchdowns. Two of those around the ground went through the air two hundred and sixty six yards. It is a beautiful thing when this Cardinals offense is humming Drew Petsig Patrick he was calling up those plays.
Speaker 5: They were all working, gosh, every single one of them.
Speaker 4: And I will leave the pig references to Wolfley because I enjoyed doing this podcast with you guys.
Speaker 5: The Jets could do nothing.
Speaker 4: Nothing with Drew Petson's play caller and Kyler's execution as well, mainly simplified the fact that they started this game. The Cardinals did touchdown, touchdown, touchdown, They only had one punt on the day, and Kyler Murray had a run of seventeen consecutive completions, breaking a Cardinals we record. They gained one hundred and seventy nine of their two hundred and sixty six receiving yards after the catch, and garbage time came early, much like us putting fraud Watch on the Jets this season. Defensively, the Cardinals held Aaron Rodgers to two and a half air yards per completion. I wanted to shout out Jesse Luketta and Xavier Thomas, who both came up with sacks. Buddha Baker had one as well, But I'm not reference again specifically because I'm affectionately calling this Cardinals defense the search bar, because every single time one of these dudes makes a play, I have to go into Google frantically during Game Day Live because I'm like, who was that Cardinals defender making a play?
Speaker 5: Those guys got sacks.
Speaker 4: One of seven under pressure was Aaron Rodgers for six yards on the day.
Speaker 5: Dominant performance by.
Speaker 1: The question, Yeah, another what is it? They're the space bar, the search bar, the search.
Speaker 5: Bit just that may go, hey, maybe yous being because Google's fell off.
Speaker 1: Res I did it as well. When when Rogers fumbled that ball right up in there, that was L. J. Collier, the big man who could have caught it and started running. They were all over the place. It is a beautiful thing when this offense is going like it's intoxicon Like it felt like Kyler ran a lot in this game.
Speaker 2: He only ran three times.
Speaker 1: It just was He's right there with Josh Allen as one of the most efficient runners in league. Whenever he runs, it's effective too for touchdowns. And just their players are awesome, which is you don't want to forget about like it's great play calling. But James Connor on that catch and run for forty four yards was awesome. The one hander by Marvin Harrison. Trey Benson is making some plays, and let's actually listen to another call of Trey McBride. He goes four for seventy one and just made one of the most athletic plays you'll see.
Speaker 12: A snaptain Murray's deep set looking over the middle, dumping it off short and it's caught by McBride, wrapped up, broke and tackled all and then he hurdles a defender at the forty forty five out of bounds at midfield. That was bronk As right there on a seventeen yard catch and run home.
Speaker 8: Oh my goodness. Trade McBride on the crossing round, put it on them, breaks the tackle of Sauce Gardner and then leaps.
Speaker 2: The next tackle.
Speaker 8: You can't control Trade McBride.
Speaker 1: Just more Wolfley, I just this whole show should be a Wolfly show. And yeah, Cardinals fans who have stuck through this, stuck with this team through a lot of bad times, are loving this four game winning streak.
Speaker 2: What a fun team. They're six and four.
Speaker 1: Not surprised that they won one of my picks on Game Devut, Yes we're rolling here, but surprised that it was this one sided that this Jets offense shook. Just there's just not much to talk about. They lose Tyron Smith at some point in this game, but it's just dinking and duncan. Even in garbage time, they weren't able to like push the ball down the field.
Speaker 9: Yeah, OLiS Maashana replaces Tyron Smith at left tackle.
Speaker 3: It's not good for them. It hasn't been good for them. For a while.
Speaker 9: Rogers is still throwing a good amount of his passes under two and a half seconds. It was basically even between under and over two and a half seconds this week. That didn't matter. I mean, they were fighting an uphill battle that you knew they weren't going to catch up. They had a pass to Devonte Adams the N zone that was broken up. Initially perceived as a drop, but you could see on replay that the defender got in there. The Cardinals defense is playing well enough to shut down opponents like the Jets, who are a short passing offense that likes to rely on Breese Hall out of the backfield a lot, or go to Garrett Wilson and DeVante Adams and if that's not working, they're basically going nowhere. And I hate to say it, but at three and seven, I mean, we're beyond fraud watch with it. It's a team that, like when they win last week, you're like, oh wow, I can't believe they actually finished that game strongly. That's less likely and less frequent than the opposite, which is what we got more of on Sundays.
Speaker 3: So it's a bummer.
Speaker 9: Because they already fired their coach and they're still going nowhere. It's going to be a dark winter for them. They might pull out a couple more wins because Rogers is there, but the whole this is why you go get Aaron Rodgers to make plays like this.
Speaker 3: It's gone, it's gone. Let's get rid of the wishes for the Jets. It's over.
Speaker 9: But on the flip side, the Cardinals, Trey Bentson, baby is we know when they run the ball well. When they run the ball well with James Connor, this whole offense opens up. Well, let's throw Trey Benson into the mix and now you got a three headed backfield of Connor, Amari de Mercado and Trey Bentson combining there to break one hundred yards on the ground in a runaway win. So look, man, they're six and four and they're the team that nobody's paying attention to, and you always say, yeah, butt with them. But they're fun to watch. They've been fun to watch. Kyler played great today, and look, hey.
Speaker 3: We're paying attention to them.
Speaker 2: We matter the most.
Speaker 9: That took we have to now we have we have been, we have has.
Speaker 1: To the NFL daily we over indexed on Cardinals content in late July and mid August, we were in on the Petzig bandwagon.
Speaker 2: So I'm enjoying this, Uh, I'm not.
Speaker 1: At some point in this game, I was not enjoying watching the Steeler I mean the Jets offense. Like I got Devanta Adams and Garrett Wilson on my fantasy team, I'm just like, can we get some garbage time yards? And like this is how it ends? They can't even get garbage time touchdowns.
Speaker 4: And at one point it was thirty one six. There was there was plenty of time left. I think it was six minutes to go thirty one six, and I was concerned because I have DeVante Adams shares fantasy wise. Perhaps there's too much information for everybody out there, but my concern was Aaron Rodgers was gonna get snatched from the game.
Speaker 5: He actually stayed in the game. They stayed in.
Speaker 4: To perhaps work on whatever these offensive issues are that they need to try to get it figured out. That maybe folks had hope with what could have been other than a Malakaw Corley fumble, a near thirty point performance against the Houston Texans on Halloween. Nothing to speak of today, just just absolutely nothing. I understand the Cardinals ran the ball well that they couldn't get the Cardinals off the field.
Speaker 5: They didn't have a ton of possessions.
Speaker 4: But Aaron Rodgers threw the ball thirty five times and got one hundred and fifty one yards.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that is below the Gabbard zone we used to call, which is the five to six in yards per attempt. So if you're under five, that's even below it. The opposite of a Josh Allen or Kyler Murray run right now is a target to DeVante Adams.
Speaker 2: I hate to say it, nikes Greg.
Speaker 1: But thirteen targets for thirty one yards and if you look at the numbers he's joining the Jets. It's one of the most inefficient plays in the league, is throwing the ball between those two. And the crazy thing is a lot of times it's miscommunications. It's just like they're they're not on the same page, which is supposed to be the whole deal of this happening. And yeah, that the this is how it ends. I am not going to forget this play. Fourth down near the goal line, just trying to finish out a garbage time drive.
Speaker 2: Rogers gets flushed out.
Speaker 1: He's sprinting right, he's not looking fast and he throws the ball kind of in the dirt behind Conklin and then he just starts barking at Conklin. And I don't know what happened on that play, but it's just like, this is sad man like, none of it, none of it is how you want it to look. And you start to think about the future of Aaron Rodgers in New York, whether he'll be there next year, whether the Jets will be there three and seven.
Speaker 2: So they got to just keep trying to win.
Speaker 1: Everyone's pointed out they have an easy schedule, but everyone that plays the Jets says, oh, well, that's an easy team to play this week, so they're struggling for wins. That was the Sunday Drive person by the all new hybrid Toyota Camry. Whatever your vibe, it's a camera vibe. Learn more at Toyota Camry dot com. And uh, yeah, we had to use the Sunday Drive there because we wouldn't want to be taking a drive in New Orleans after the mess, the enjoyable mess that was New Orleans versus the Falcons.
Speaker 8: Third and twenty one stunt cousins to throw dust road complete the call, Pitts Pits takes it all the.
Speaker 7: Way down inside the forty five yard line.
Speaker 2: But here comes to the may Day is a oh if the clocket Webb clockett you can't it's down.
Speaker 5: We gotta be they're going for it. They can't clock it. Fourth down and the thirty nine complete.
Speaker 8: Ball game.
Speaker 5: The clock's gonna continues.
Speaker 7: Bad.
Speaker 5: It's ball games yet tackling in top ballgame.
Speaker 1: Come on by costUS mcallisters all over this w w L with the call from New Orleans yes to start that Harry sequence. The Falcons had the ball on third and long from their own thirty nine yard line with twenty eight seconds left in the game. You got a call two plays there, right, because you can't assume you're gonna get the first down on a third and twenty two.
Speaker 2: But they didn't have two plays called. In the huddle, they threw it over the middle and then Cousins comes up calls to play. It takes so long to get that off you don't even get out of it like this. Wow.
Speaker 1: The Falcons, in the most Falcons Saints rivalry game possible, find a way to lose a game that they absolutely will feel that they should have won based on the way they played the second half.
Speaker 2: The ending of this game had everything. This was a fitting end.
Speaker 1: It started with Darren Rizzy, the interim head coach of the Saints, kind of getting a little nervous a couple times with some fourth down calls, punting it to the Falcons when he had a fourth and short at midfield, but you know what, his defense bails him out. And Kirk Cousins, who despite not having a touchdown on this day I thought mostly played really well until getting frantic at the end, but throws absolutely killer interception to Honey Badger with a handful of minutes left in this game. Just threw it blind, panicked against pressure. Kind of the Kirk Cousins moment that we haven't seen a lot of lately, but you used to see quite a bit. You think that the game is over there, the Saints just really need one first down to ice it, and they don't get conservative. They drop a perfect play that gets Alvin Kamara matched up against a linebacker. He dusts them by about fifteen yards. Derek Carr, who played well on the day, lays it out there perfectly and Kamara just blows it he just drops the easiest catch ever. He said it was the worst play he's ever made on on the field, like in his entire career, Like that was the most foul play I've ever made. And you think, oh man, they're gonna blow it, but Falcons end up blowing it right back.
Speaker 2: It was on a day.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Coup missed three different field goals in this game, including one that was blocked, and Darren Rizzy get to win America.
Speaker 2: Be happy. I'm happy.
Speaker 5: Yeah, congratulations to Darren Rizzy.
Speaker 4: Congratulations to to all the Sants fans who wanted not that it was particularly Darren Rizzy, but the end of the Dennis Allen era was something that was wished upon by a lot of folks down in the fave before and they get this game.
Speaker 1: I think, including on the team, I mean, judging by some of the statements afterwards go ahead no clearly.
Speaker 5: And Michael Thomas watching from home as well.
Speaker 4: But this was the Marcus Valdez scantling game, yes, just maximum not game the Marqus Valdez scantling first half where somehow, out of nowhere, NBS just gets to the team. A couple of weeks ago, he has three catches for one hundred and nine yards and two touchdowns. One touchdown is a deep pass, It's like, okay, got beat by MVS. The second one was a sixty six yard bomb down the sideline where he gets out of bounds. And so I'm thinking, of course, typical MVS. He's only got three touchdowns shorter than ten yards in his entire career. Well, MVS doesn't help you here, No, Derek Carr goes back to MVS on second and goal for the touchdowns.
Speaker 5: Let's gone, and we never hear from him again.
Speaker 4: But again, this ultimately was just a nasty, nasty loss by the Atlanta Falcons.
Speaker 2: Yes, who to you know?
Speaker 5: The Universe's point right.
Speaker 4: The Falcons have been the beneficiary of some nasty losses by other teams, like the one where Saquan drops the pass in prime time late. And then there's the Saints, the initial Saints game when the Saints were much better football team before they went on the seven game losing streak where we've seen, we've seen the Falcons now be on both sides of this thing.
Speaker 1: How about either Bucks game they've won, They've won on both sides of it.
Speaker 2: And yes, you said, did you say it? Was stinky, is nasty, nasty.
Speaker 1: We speaking of which, Darren Rizzy's toilet free game.
Speaker 2: That was nasty.
Speaker 15: You guys know, man, I'm a pretty open guy. So this is how my day started. I get down here to the stadium, get down our super down my goat in the head coaches locker room, which you know I've never used before, right, So here, I am early the more I go to the bathroom, and this is how my day started. I clogged the toilet and I'm like, this is gonna be a crappy day, pun intended.
Speaker 5: And so we listened.
Speaker 15: I'm like, Okay, this is how a really great start to today. Here we go and so yeah, I'm not really feeling like a head coach.
Speaker 2: He's still talking.
Speaker 15: So I'm like, really, this is really how we're gonna start my day.
Speaker 1: Yes, Darren Rizzy, this is what we want out of our interim.
Speaker 5: This is it, honesty.
Speaker 1: I think he went back and he watched old Jovit press conferences, not just Jovid with the Saints, Jovit with the Rams and the Saints. About one percent of our listenership knows who I'm talking about here. Well, one of the great interim press conference holders. We want Dan Campbell when he was with the Dolphins. We want Bassacia. They're getting the rizzy bump shook. This was a fun game.
Speaker 9: Yeah, you know, as soon as this game inut I was like, there it is the interim coach bump again. But my question is this, if you were watching on YouTube, you saw how red his face was.
Speaker 3: Was his face that read from that moment on the.
Speaker 9: Toilet, like did he just carry over the flush face all afternoon? Because that right there is the face of a man who was pushing one out earlier and then pushed his team to victory on the field on Sunday.
Speaker 2: I was worried about this man.
Speaker 1: When they blocked the coup field goal, which I believe was right before halftime, he was as intense in the next five seconds as any head coach has ever been on any sideline. He was so freaking fired up. Let's listen to him talk after the game.
Speaker 15: I yelled at Payton Turner with thirty seconds left because he's celebrating before the game's over. So I screamed at him, and so he's spraying water and I ripped his ass quite frankly. So when the game was over, he wanted to get me, so he came up to me and I wasn't looking at Jack in the back, and I got a history of stingers. So he Mike left arm like completely know, literally completely know. So I'm sure the video has me like this. I'm like, I'm looking at my thanks lot, Peyton. So I'm fine, I'm fine. I just uh, I got a little see five six going for years from the old sound like the old guy, but and I am that's what happened my whole literally gaming for lack.
Speaker 4: Of a better phrase, I'm sorry, thinker and a stinger on the same day for Darren Rizzy that's awesome.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry.
Speaker 1: We're gonna just over index on Rizzy clips the rest of uh the season and certainly tonight.
Speaker 2: You know, it's interesting.
Speaker 1: He brings up Peyton Turner to bring a real football point out that some of the players were talking after the game to Nick Underhill of New Orleans Football dot Com that they changed up the rush schemes, that they were doing all these games and twists and having all these different assignments, and instead their defensive coordinator, I think it was Joe Woods calling the plays just got them singled up. Just just attack one on one go win. Hey Cam Jordan, you're one of our best players ever. We're gonna give you thirty plus snaps. Cam Jordan with a big time sack. They had more pressure in this game. That was the thing that was absolutely different in this game than every other, and Cam Jordan said it was validation of like what he thought of that they should be doing. Essentially, he had a big day. Peyton Turner had a big day. They were pushing the pocket. That's why I think Cousins played well was actually he was under a lot of quick pressure all day and mostly got the ball moving. And John Robinson was awesome in this game, one hundred and sixteen yards, a couple just magical plays.
Speaker 2: Tyler Owls year played well.
Speaker 1: Kyle Pitts completely changed the complexion of this game by mossing Alante Taylor on a third and long. The very next play, Bijon Robinson goes for a long touchdown where he just shakes off two or three defenders. So it was a good football game. The Falcon Saints they always deliver. Both games this year came down to the wire. But yeah, six and four, this does feel like they didn't deserve to be seven and three type of team, and sometimes the schedule gods just pull you back.
Speaker 2: It's like the.
Speaker 1: Falcons were due, like they're not a seven and three team. Six and four I'll buy there are six and four type of team.
Speaker 5: Shook.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's fair, I'll take that too.
Speaker 9: I Mean, it felt like when they won their last few games, like oh, they're getting hot. But there was like glimpses of all, right, well, there's a weakness or there's an issue, or they're not finishing that properly, or they're not paying attention to the details there. And then it all kind of comes to a head on a day in which you know, they put up enough yards to win a football game, like they definitely did that, and yet they come away with just seventeen points.
Speaker 3: They have multiple missfield goals. You leave points out on the field.
Speaker 9: I mean, you finished with four and sixty eight yards, but you only converted five fourteenth third Downs's that end of the story of the game right there.
Speaker 3: It's the little things.
Speaker 1: Look the first half of the game, the Saints had a great game plan. They moved the ball, they hit those shots. Derek Carr was very efficient. Those are dimes. Great job by Derek Carr. Second half of the game, it was all Falcons and it was somehow like the coach bump gods just letting them hold it on because the Falcons really dominated for the most part in the second half. Good win by the Saints.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 1: Fun game by the Saints and the Falcons. Let's go to another fun one. Unless you were a Bears fan.
Speaker 12: Stephenson a single bath Selhutter motions, why may with the Playfick and the.
Speaker 14: Pop receiver Polk if it's an easy and catch crotch down Patriots, Oh you have you have an adversity to hitch it your first two corners and Drake By settles down on his stride.
Speaker 8: That's a good job by him moving to the football team to get a touchdown before the first half.
Speaker 1: Fens Hey Jalen Polk made a play that was Bob Soci and Scott Zolak on wb Z. The Patriots defense closes out mora bun Bears team nineteen to three. Who nine sacks on the day for the Patriots defense. And that one out there is is for my dad who said he was listening to Scott Zolach and thought Zolac did a good job even tho he's a big homer. He was listening on the radio while raking those leaves because the Patriots, they don't deserve the television necessarily all three hours. But this was an old school Patriots win. Defense, timely offense and man just no pass protection for caleboy Yeah.
Speaker 4: And Drake May and the Patriots offense did enough to get the win. There didn't play perfectly avoided some some mistakes did have a couple, including an interception where he tried to fit a ball in the window smaller than the football itself, which is tough to do. But disaster looms for a Bears offense that was one of fourteen on third down, and you mentioned the non sacks. They lose fifty one yards and then a lot of that's due to the fact that oh Darnel Wright and Braxton Jones, both starting tackles, were out, as well as backups Karan Amigaje and Nate Davis. The only starting lineup that the Bears. The starting lineman that they had was the center Coleman Shelton, which eventually led to this Patriots pass.
Speaker 2: Rou Tevin Jenkins was in there and then got hurt during the game.
Speaker 5: It was brutal.
Speaker 4: They actually equaled the season long output of the team. We just talked about the Atlanta Falcons, who have nine sacks on the season. The Patriots got nine sacks today. Keon White generated six pressures and one sack on thirty five pass rush snaps. He got two pressures against double teams as well. Just a great performance that It's almost difficult to celebrate and praise this New England Patriots defensive performance because the Bears, while being heard, it just seemed like there was no plan on offense and everything they tried. I'm sitting there watching begging them to go into the two minute drill early in the second half because the play calls from Shane Waldron were not working.
Speaker 1: No, the Patriots go six and out, three and out, three and out to start the second half, and you're just waiting for the Bears to do something and they just can barely pick up a first down. This is one of the worst offensive performances by any team all season. Eleven drives, only one went over twenty one yards. They averaged one point eight yards per pass play, which is just crazy. On thirty nine pass plays against the defense that only had thirteen sacks on the season coming into today. So let's just get the praise for the Patriots out of the way. I think may has been building every week. You see smart decisions except for the really dumb ones. So he's just one of those quarterbacks right now. But some really nice throws down the field and they take care of business. Brandon Schooler, their longtime special team, really gets in on the sack parade.
Speaker 2: That's fun.
Speaker 1: And these are the type of wins that I think are important for Drod Mayo to just start establishing some sort of identity and idea of what this team wants to be as they inevitably head to a top five, top six type of pick.
Speaker 2: So good job by them.
Speaker 1: But this Bears offense right now had put up what I thought was maybe the worst tape by any offense all season, in any game last year, all year against the Cardinals last week, and then they do it again. Let's listen to Matt eb Refuse after the game, getting some pointed questions, how do you defend.
Speaker 5: Your work as head coach when it looks at this bad?
Speaker 16: Well, I would just say that I would just go back to we have the men in the room, and we have evidence on tape of doing it. You know, we've played some good commentary games in terms of offense, defense and kicking, and we've you know, score points, you know, a few games in a row, you know, and done a good job of that, you know. So we have to find the winning way and our winning formula to get that done.
Speaker 5: Oh that's rough.
Speaker 1: I think he when he said we've scored points a few games, I think I mean it's the streak where they were scoring a lot of points, because yeah, three points nothing to talk about. Let's listen to Kevin Bayard talking after the game. This is courtesy the Marquee Sports Network.
Speaker 5: Guys in this locker room still believe in this coaching set. I'm not going to go there any day. We got to play better and we gotta win. You know.
Speaker 1: Maybe maybe he's just someone that doesn't want to answer that type of question, but on the heels of DJ Moore really not defending his coaching staff.
Speaker 2: You feel for Eberflus.
Speaker 1: When I watched some of his press conferences, there's a lot of tough questions in there. Nick, I actually think he's kind of built for this. Answering him well, like he's not built for it in terms of being able to figure out how to fix his team, which is ultimately the thing that matters. But I'm impressed with how he carries himself and handles that situation. But it doesn't seem like they have any answers offensively of how to turn things around.
Speaker 9: Yeah, you know, with Kevin Byron's comments, ever since he was in Tennessee, he's always been known as a straight shooter, so I think he just knew to a non answer is the best way to handle that right now with so much of the season still left and things getting really bad.
Speaker 3: But Flus kind of teed me up.
Speaker 2: If he loves that coaches, you would defend the coaches, right.
Speaker 9: I feel like that he's not going to outright say that he hates them because there's still half of well about half of the season left to play. Flux teed me up though, because that's immediately what I thought was, this is a team that was ascending or at least building momentum. They put twenty four points in the Rams and win thirty six on the Panthers and a win thirty five on the Jaguars and a win But unlike you know, coaches like Kyle Shanahan and Andy Reid, who are good out of the bye week. The Bears have been miserable since the bye week. Fifteen points in a loss of Washington, nine points last week, three points today. There is no explanation for this other than pointing to your offensive staff and saying, what the hell is going on schematically right now? Yes, we can't protect our quarterback, but we can't do much of anything right now. DeAndre Swift coast for three point seven yards per carry. When you become one dimensional with a rookie quarterback behind an offensive line and they can't protect you, you're boxing yourself in. Even against a team like the Patriots who pinned their ears back and got after them. So if you look at their schedule going forward, like, where does it get any easier? You play Green Bay, Neck, Minnesota, the Detroit, San Francisco, it's awful. It's just gonna get worse and worse and worse. So now we're basically on a firing watch, I think for the people involved here.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the only remaining non division games are against the forty nine ers in the Seahawks, Like that's it. They've got three consecutive division games and it's just a murderer's row of teams that they have to go up, and four of those games are on the road as well, And you wonder, like you mentioned a watch for you know, Matt Eberflus's Bears career. It's just anybody that steps in there, it's gonna be a difficult ors Shane Waldron.
Speaker 1: Maybe they change out offensive coordinators. I thought this team was done for the season after last week, not like they wouldn't win any games, but I was like, this team is not making the playoffs. I haven't really believed in them all seasons, So maybe it's confirmation bias. Although that under eight and a half or nine and a half, whatever it was, that's hidden from that show way back then.
Speaker 2: But like they just I don't know.
Speaker 1: I am not nearly as worried about Caleb Williams as Bears fans seem to be. That's the only thing I would say to Bears fans out there. I've seen rookie quarterbacks really struggle and come out of it on the other side, and I actually don't think he's near that level even of struggle, like of the Jared Goffs, the Eli Mannings, the Drew breeses like different guys who have turned things around. He's really not at that level to me, and it is getting worse and he's not helping. But this thing just needs a restart. Amazingly, the Patriots have have surrounded their rookie quarterback with a better situation. I guess at least the vibes are better. Let's before we uh take a break, let's at least listen to Drake May after the game try to get the New England media uh to to appreciate their defensive performance. Drake May coming up to the podium after Christian.
Speaker 17: Phones down, phones down, clap it up to the defense, clap it up, top it up, somebody else, top up the appreciate here go.
Speaker 5: It's a foul for whoever classe.
Speaker 1: I'm sure it was either a PR staffer or someone else that was not in the media, but really cracked me up that Drake days like clap it up for the defense, like he's he's in there asking questions to Christian Gonzales for for during their press conference, a good time.
Speaker 3: Everybody take a knee, Take a knee. Coach has got to.
Speaker 1: Talk enjoy, enjoy when why why you can Patriots get done there at three and seven, the Bears at four and five and sinking fast. Let's take a break and we'll be back with his call from one of the very best play by play man in the world.
Speaker 5: Yes, that's a tease, very good way too.
Speaker 6: They're gonna go for it to a four this season on fourth down, and they're gonna go for it from the shotgun and they're gonna go empty. Herbert rolling to the right, and.
Speaker 17: Here we go, Hibert into the episode touchdown Shugers four yards justin Herbert puts the team on his back and delivers.
Speaker 1: That was some QB power by Justin Herbert.
Speaker 2: Gotta love it.
Speaker 1: Gotta love Matt money Smith and from kys R. Yes, they're leaning into Herbo's legs and I love it.
Speaker 2: You bring Greg Roman in.
Speaker 1: Let's see some Greg Roman fun like QB power on the goal line. Herbert also juked a defender in the open field later in the game that had Derwin James and all the defense just kind of going wild, like when you see your teammate just undress an opponent, how much you love that?
Speaker 2: And Chargers are having fun.
Speaker 1: Twenty seven to seventeen, they're six and three over the Titans, and yes, another take care of business game by the Chargers. Nick, I have a theory on what this Chargers team is and what it is is it's so Unchargers if they were a running back like they would be Kyron Williams, Like you block up four yards for them, they get four and a half or five, they get what's there. They do what they're supposed to do. They don't make mistakes in a league where teams are up and down. I kind of know what the Chargers are on a week to week basis, which is which is wild.
Speaker 9: You know that they're going to play a team like Tennessee, They're going to go down seven to three, and they're going to take care.
Speaker 3: Of business and cruise the victory. That's the first thing that you know.
Speaker 9: You also know that with a healthy Justin Herbert that the ceiling is much higher both through the air and as we saw on Sunday and that clip just there on the.
Speaker 3: Ground as well.
Speaker 9: Because Greg Roman's the one calling the place and guys, I want to go back to the cemetery because I want to describe and make it a little bit of an analogy here of how Justin Herbert looked on that play.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 9: Last week, I'm working from home and I see a buck, a young buck, stroll into the cemetery. I live in an urban neighborhood. The cemetery is fencing on all sides. There's a little gap next to my house, and I'm wondering how did he get in there? And about thirty seconds in, he realizes, oh my god, I can't get out of here, and starts darting around the cemetery.
Speaker 3: Four pointer, just running around, back and forth.
Speaker 9: That's how Justin Herbert looked on that running play, and that's how this offense can look. No matter who's running the football, they're darting around, they're finding the gaps. He eventually made out of the cemetery, just like Justin Herbert made it into the end up.
Speaker 3: They do the job that you expected to do.
Speaker 9: They have a physical defense and they find a way to make it work through the air. Whether it's Lad mccauckey or if it's Quinton Johnson, whoever it is, they are a team that's tough to beat because they take care of the details. And I'll say you what, as a purist, a football purist.
Speaker 3: Warms my heart that a team takes care of the details.
Speaker 5: They did and today executing Arty.
Speaker 2: We can't just move on off from his analogy. What do you rate?
Speaker 1: I didn't know if he was going to be able to stick that land. No he did there with the moose, or if he's just jamming in a great story a buck a moose, four point buck. I think he did it. I think he nailed it. A degree of difficulty was extremely high, nine point seven.
Speaker 5: No, yeah, it's it's it's it's up there in the ten range.
Speaker 2: Okay, now all we got to do.
Speaker 4: The folks are left wondering, you know how it got in there? Did it get out the same way it got in it? It's a very high trafficed cemetery. You know, people are dying to get in there. The buck was apparently as well. It's able to get out, So the buck goes one. It gets the cemetery by else having a little bit tougher time. But it was the start of this game, saw because Will Levis was back. Yeah, and the idea was when's Will Levis gonna implode? It just didn't happened. He hit Calvin Ridley for two touchdowns. One of them was late as we got closer in to garbage time. But the one, as Nick referenced, that seven to three lead, was a deep shot from Will Levis to Calvin Ridley, and they didn't have that. Taj Spears and Tony Pollard both old. Taji Spears was over six point seven six point. He actually did have six point seven yards per carry. Tony Pollard had almost five, and they weren't really able to get the ground game going because they were playing from behind. I guess the Chargers team that throughout this season where we've wondered are they going to be in that eighteen to twenty one point range?
Speaker 5: Get up to twenty seven points today.
Speaker 1: Right right, because they just squeeze you to death. They didn't get the ball because they just didn't have enough plays. They only had eight total drives on the day because the Chargers were so efficient with like us twelve play drive and eleven play drive, nine play drive, eight play drive, and they'll hit you with a couple big plays. Josh Palmer had a nice deep perception. Quinton Johnson found himself wide open once again somehow for a touchdown. Lad McConkie has somehow turned into a deep threat like he's had some days like this where he goes two for fifty two. It's like a thirty seven yarder, but another chunk play to Lad McConkie, and Herbert's just avoiding mistakes.
Speaker 2: I thought this was much better out of Will Levis.
Speaker 1: He spun it pretty well, but he probably overcorrected because he's been told so much to avoid making a mistake that he just held onto the ball forever a couple times. And he took seven sacks in this game, and sometimes it was quick pressure. Tully Plot two has played really well since thereby Joey Bosa was better in this game. They played really good team defense. Sometimes Levis just probably held the ball too long, but I don't kill him for that. I give the Chargers defense a lot of credit. They're very similar to me. Took to the Chiefs, good offensive line, a really great quarterback. You know, obviously Herbert's not Mahomes, but I think Herbert's playing that like a top seven quarterback level, a defense that's not going to give up much, and and they kind of just squeeze you to death. These two teams look kind of similar to me, even if they're not always the most explosive.
Speaker 3: Yeah, if you look at their margin of victory of the last few weeks.
Speaker 9: It's not really all that telling, but like twenty seven to ten over the Browns, twenty six to eight over the Saints, twenty seven to seventeen over the Titans. These are all teams that they should beat, and they're all beating them in similar fashion. The Browns it was blown coverages and they were taking advantage of it. This time they just squeeze you to death. I think it's a perfect compliment in that division to the Chiefs, and I'm very very much looking forward to their rematch, which isn't until December, because who wins in that battle of styles. You think that the Chiefs would, but the Chargers are gaining a lot of steam. My question on the other side of the ball here on the other side of the field, what has happened is Titans defense. That was their strength early in the season. I know they've had to deal with Mason Rudolf at their quarterback for you know, the last month basically because Levis has been.
Speaker 3: Out, but that was the strength and it just seems like it's not quite there.
Speaker 1: They were always one sided. They've had injuries in the secondary, but the lagarious Steed pickup has not work for them. They really have not been a hard team to pass on all year. They're very tough to run a guns and they have a good front, and that's just no way to win in twenty twenty four. And who knows that they're getting later into the season. They're stuck at at two wins and they blow a lead quickly. I have been enjoying Jim Harbaugh, and I have really been enjoying Jim Harbaugh enjoying Justin Herbert.
Speaker 18: I mean just I'm changing his name to Beast. He's a beast. Herbert, half man, half beast. He made the two biggest plays of the game, you know, the fourth down touchdown run that he made. I mean, I don't know how many people he blocked, you know, or who actually got a block and who didn't, but there's a lot of unblocked guys and he just went beast mood and got that ball in the end zone.
Speaker 1: There was like one unblocked guy. They did a pretty good job, but that is what makes Herbert specially. He makes that first guy miss and he did a great job with that. They're six and three. They are at the point in the season where I would be surprised and disappointed if they don't make the playoffs. I think they are gonna find a way to get in and they have a really fun Sunday Night game. Great job by the flex committee Bengals Chargers. Next Sunday Night, let's go to a team that was flexing too Sunday Night. It was kind of a snoozer a week ago. Vikings Colts. Did the Vikings give us more or less entertainment? In Jacksonville?
Speaker 7: First and ten from the Vikings forty three yard line, Mac Jones goes out of the shop, dun Travis et into his left. The Vikings blitz maxw Mac on a very deep drop.
Speaker 2: He's gonna throw it right.
Speaker 7: Nobody's there, to the exception of the Minnesota Viking who picked.
Speaker 14: Him off interception team fine them hend.
Speaker 7: The Minnesota Vikings are going to improve just seven and two.
Speaker 1: Vikings get to win twelve to seven. It wasn't quite over really at that point though. Either a little early on the call, but you can't blame Paul of K fan for his excitement. When you see a mac Jones pass just fluttering in the breeze and your guy gets it, you're gonna get fired up.
Speaker 2: What a bizarre game.
Speaker 5: That puts it nicely.
Speaker 1: The Jaguars were out gained four hundred and four to one forty three. They had forty three plays, the Vikings had eighty two. They had the ball for seventeen minutes, the Vikings had it for forty two. The Vikings managed to get twenty eight points on the board without twenty eight first downs on the board without a touchdown, and yet it came down to some Tom foolery, a mac Jones interception and then a Trayvon Walker penalty. Shook is what actually finally sealed the deal for Minnesota.
Speaker 9: Yeah, let's not overlook that celebration in honor of the breaker Raygun from the Olympics.
Speaker 3: So that was a great poll by cam Bine him as well.
Speaker 9: Now look, the only worst pass than any of Sam Darnold's three interceptions was the one that he threw that then inspired that celebration. If you're watching on YouTube, I mean, good job, Cam, that's pretty good. I don't know if he gets you in the Olympics, but that's pretty good. Sam Donald was rough today and that explains why they could not put any touchdowns on the board. He threw three interceptions. I suddenly found myself seeing Sam Donald in the Jets uniform or in a Panther's uniform for the first time in a Vikings uniform.
Speaker 3: This time it was rough.
Speaker 9: He had won that he should have had four picks, but it got called back because of illegal touching or illegal use of hands on the Jaguars, which by the way, that return was fumbled back to the Vikings.
Speaker 3: None of that mattered.
Speaker 9: Mac Jones completely ineffective. This offense completely ineffective. They lost Tank bigsby early to injury, Travis etn goes eleven for forty four.
Speaker 3: They just couldn't maintain possession at all.
Speaker 9: They very much missed Trevor Lawrence and in fact mac Jones didn't break a hundred passing yards until that final possession which ended in that disastrous throw that was picked off by cam Byden. It was an ugly football game. It was a football game that I thought the Vikings may not find a way to win.
Speaker 3: Despite pilot all these young because.
Speaker 9: Sam Donald was so locked on Justin Jefferson for so much this game before he accept Actually TJ. Hockinson and Josh Oliver are probably my best options, which he then used to get them into field goal range. Weird, weird day in Jacksonville for both teams.
Speaker 4: Yeah, nine targets for Justin Jefferson. A couple of those were the ones that were picked off. One where the defenders fighting back through the ball that Justin Jefferson couldn't quite keep away from the defense. And it goes to the Jags who kind of wasted, not kind of absolutely wasted their best defensive performance of the year with Darnell Savage and Andre Cisco back there, the corners as well, dealing with Justin Jefferson, where the Vikings routinely were making mistakes, not just the three Darnold interceptions, but you know, just miscommunications, a couple of third downs that didn't quite go their way. Aaron Jones leaves the game on a cart is able to actually eventually come back in, but everything that could go wrong for the Vikings did, But the Jags just out jaggsing the Jags at this point where you had Mac Jones score on the quarterback sneak Travis etn down at the one on the played before that, and that was it. That was the highlight of the game for Jacksonville. Was a one yard quarterback sneak for Mac Jones. He did hit Gabe Davis on like a seventeen yarder to get down there. Yeah, but other than that, it was just absolutely nothing for the backup.
Speaker 1: Well, if you liked today's performance by Mac Jones, have I got a seven games coming up for you, because it sounds like Trevor Lawrence could be out for the season. Since we last taped, we didn't even know he was for sure out for this week, but Diana Wesini and Mike Silver the Athletic reported that they're looking at surgery that would knock him out for the season.
Speaker 2: They're at two and eight.
Speaker 1: We'll see that it's not official yet, and so we'll hold analysis on kind of what's next for them in that decision when we know for sure. I do think the Vikings have a bit of a Darnold problem and a bit of an Aaron Jones problem. Not that Aaron Jones isn't amazing, but just the difference of this offense when he's not on the field is so noticeable. He goes seven for seventeen for eighty eight today and has a couple of catches too, But when he was off the field and was Acres. Just it's not working as well and just little things are coming up. So just I'm really hoping that he can stay healthy and be the consistent back because they're at an interesting point in the season. Nick, They're seven and two, They're on this three game road trip, very rare to have three straight road games, and they're all very winnable Titans next Bears after that, and so I don't know how for real this Vikings team is. And yet, if they can just win these games against teams that are really struggling, and I think they can, they're gonna be ten and two or something, at the very worst nine to three. But man, Donald, this we've just seen like more and more of him making fritzing.
Speaker 2: Out type of decisions. And that's what I've blame.
Speaker 1: I've pushed back when I see people put Donald and Mayfield in the same category this season, I'm like, come on, I was like, Baker's proven a little more like Donald. This is more of what we've seen out of Arnold in his career. So I need to see more good to really believe that it's here for good.
Speaker 9: Yeah, and this is coming from somebody who is admittedly critical on Baker. Mayfield has been the last few weeks that's you and you're you're right in that criticism as well.
Speaker 5: But he's proven himself.
Speaker 1: But Baker's like a better than average starting quarterback are at the very worst, is proven himself to be a solid starter.
Speaker 2: I don't know if I'm there with Darnold yet.
Speaker 9: Especially in a performance like today, because it's not like the Jaguars are doing anything that was completely mystifying or something that you wouldn't see from a defense prior. It's just that he was forcing balls to Justin Jefferson in the first half. It's like he's got a crutch and now he's just leaning on it. And it wasn't until the second half came that he realized, oh, I should go look somewhere else. So maybe you learn from this and you take that and you build upon it. But you know, mentioning that schedule, this is a perfect time for them to really seize upon it because the back half gets a little tough. Now you get Chicago twice over the next what five weeks, You get Tennessee. You got to win Tennessee and Chicago right away, because then you play Arizona, you got Atlanta, You get Chicago again, then you get Seattle, Green Bay, Detroit. You have to be able to win both Chicago games Tennessee and try to eque out against the Seahawks in order to get to eleven wins, because if you don't, if you drop a couple of those games, suddenly you find yourself in a position where the pressure is quickly on you.
Speaker 3: And at that point, I'm going.
Speaker 2: Is this this?
Speaker 9: Are they a fraudulent team like they were a few years ago when they were winning all those one possession games?
Speaker 3: Is this truly who they are?
Speaker 5: Now?
Speaker 3: They have a better defense than they did at that time, at least in terms of scheme. So we'll see.
Speaker 9: But you cannot afford to put out another performance like you did today or you will lose games against better teams.
Speaker 3: It's that simple.
Speaker 1: It was very similar to their game last week. And look they're showing they can do it. You know, they they can win ugly games against bad teams.
Speaker 2: I think that's important one.
Speaker 4: I just I'm not saying we can win ugly games against bad teams, but.
Speaker 1: That's an important thing to do. I don't think they're a Super Bowl contender. I don't think many people really do So what's a win for this season? It's getting to the playoffs and you hope maybe you can win that game, and so beating beating bad teams, they'll get to the playoffs if they continue to do that. Let's listen to Doug Peterson after the game, asked about that what happened on that final Mac interception?
Speaker 5: Was the play?
Speaker 4: What was supposed to happen on the final Mac interception if he didn't get hit and throw the pick. Yeah, I'm not going to go through the details of the play because you guys wouldn't figure it out.
Speaker 13: But we'll go look at tape tomorrow and we'll make those corrections.
Speaker 5: He's pissed off, Angela what they do?
Speaker 3: Yeah, you right.
Speaker 2: Figure it out.
Speaker 4: I just want to know, brain journalists, who is the room particularly upset Doug Peterson?
Speaker 5: And why am I catching as straight forward?
Speaker 2: Right? Jack?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 2: Justice for John Shipley, one of the best beat writer.
Speaker 5: That was John's question.
Speaker 1: No, I don't know that, but I'm just saying he's out there. He's saying, y'all wouldn't understand John Shipley would understand? How about John Osher one of the longtime beat writers in the game. He works for the Jaguars as a senior writer there. He's great, so he would figure it out. I take offense to that, Doug Peterson. I also take offense uh to the Cowboys being the only national game at four twenty five, get this team out of national windows.
Speaker 7: Stack Hurts puts Calcaterra in motion, Hurts buck Hurts looking, Hurts, still looking, still looking.
Speaker 5: Hurts has started to run.
Speaker 3: Now he fires.
Speaker 2: Complete huts down.
Speaker 12: This time it goes to Johnny Wilson, has Hirst huts down in the NFL.
Speaker 1: Oh, Johnny Wilson, another guy that might have sent us to the search bar, like.
Speaker 2: Who's that tall eighty nine?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, literally the super tall rookie tight end that was Merril Reese on wip the Eagles in the ultimate take Care of Business game. Get a thirty four to six victory over the Cowboys. Jalen Hurts gets a couple of touchdown passes, gets a couple touchdown runs. He has ten touchdowns on the ground in the last four weeks. That's outrageous. Field The eights of ESPN pointed out there's only been fifteen seasons with that many rushing touchdowns from a quarterback in the history of the NFL.
Speaker 2: He's done it in the last month.
Speaker 1: I hope you are listening everyone that is tuning in to the man versus model. Cynthia Freelan and I making our picks against the spread every week when we're on the same side of things, and we both say this is a no brainer. It's a no brainer. Eagles in the seven points. I mean, people were putting their their feet up and just enjoying this game. Twenty four points. They won by what twenty eight points? We also had it as our survivor pick, so good job.
Speaker 5: I usual, oyay, we did it.
Speaker 2: We keep getting it done another week. Looks this is the word.
Speaker 1: I don't know if this is the worst team in the NFL with Cooper Rush as the starting quarterback, but they're don't be in the mix shook, right.
Speaker 5: They gotta be.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean it's ugly.
Speaker 9: First off, A lot of courage out of you to pick this game. Guys, good job we're trying.
Speaker 2: It's against the spread. They're all even.
Speaker 1: That's it's all even. That's why we said, wow, up surprise at seven. I would have thought it'd be thirteen or something like that.
Speaker 9: If I was there, I'd patch you on the back, but I can from two thousand miles away.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this team's bad. Michael Barblos came back.
Speaker 2: I don't need to hear it from you.
Speaker 1: Suck three and oh this week six and oh the last couple of weeks.
Speaker 9: I'm just gonna press you on people every week now now Sorry. Michael Parsons came back. He played about fifty three percent of the snaps. I believe made a difference. I mean, obviously he's an all world player, and he got in the way the Eagles offense in the first quarter, but eventually, well, his snapcunt was limited first off and secondly, the Eagles found a rhythm after they turned the ball over twice early and they went down the field, they scored a touchdown and it was a It was actually one of the best plays I've seen from Jalen hurtson probably a few weeks, where he evaded a free rusher, stepped up and found Dallas s Gottard in the end zone for a touchdown that preceded the Johnny Wilson touchdown. A guy that I didn't have to search for because he's the only six foot six receiver in this past draft class. So thatsclaimed to fame, and now he's finally got a touchdown in his career. And then we officially could put it to bed. When Jalen Hurts scrambled for eight yard touchdown run, it was over from there. Designed run got the job done, put the Cowboys to bed, put them to bed for the season. I don't care if Dak comes back or not. It's not worth it at this point. They have no talent offensively. Their offensive line has been a bit of a shuffling, you know, act recently, and their defense outside of Debarvin Overshown and Michael Parsons and Trayvon Diggs, they're just it's not a good football team in general. They're not exciting to watch. They were horrible offensively with Cooper Rush. They put Trey Lance in, didn't get anything better out of them. Cooper rush for forty five passing yards. Okay, Like, I don't care what defense you're playing. That's awful. That's just not good NFL football right there. So pretty easy game to explain there.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and you can see it.
Speaker 4: The lack of velocity that Cooper rush has really jumped off the screen today, even more so than in his previous games. I'm not sure if he lost the lost a few mph off the fastball or what, but just a lot of hot air balloon balls that really didn't have the opportunity. His best throw at the day gets defended by our dearly neighborly star ninety three million miles away, sending photons in a span of eight minutes all the way into the eyes of CD Lamb where he's looking into this beam of sunlight, can do nothing with it. I also think it played on both sides because Jalen Hurts got a strip sack where he's looking into a secondary and I'm sure all he could see our is our friendly neighborhood star providing all the energy that we need here on this planet.
Speaker 5: Hopefully we keep the planet long enough, the sun's going to be our.
Speaker 4: But it's just truly just a disastrous performance by the Dallas Trade. Lance comes in and then comes back out. So we get a couple of worthless plays by Cooper Russia, including a fumble where it's what's going on and you know, the president and CEOs coming back and taking shots at folks asking him questions about this Stuy.
Speaker 5: It's a lot happened and none of it was good for Dallas.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you mentioned Jerry Jones getting asked about the sun blinding Cede Lamb on that potential. Well, you know catch and Jerry said, quote, by the way, we know where the sun's going to be when we decide to flip the coin or not. We do know where the damn sun is going to be in our own stadium, which I read as they should have, you know, taken the side that wasn't going to have the sun at that time. He's blaming his coaching staff there for being on that site. Well, first of all, you might not win the flip, and it's he's saying, we need to avoid taking the ball or not, you know, based on which side we want to be on, to avoid our own sun no matter what.
Speaker 2: That's ridiculous, he said.
Speaker 1: They asked, well, why do not put up curtains over the windows, because they do do that for other events at that stadium, and he said, well, let's tear down the damn stadium and build another one. Are you kidding me? Everyone's got the same thing. Every team has to come in here and they have the same issues. But yeah, not if you're happy to face that way. And then Finally, he said, the world knows where the sun is. You get to know that almost a year in advance. Someone asked me about even more, what about the sun? Where's the moon?
Speaker 3: Jared Doft didn't know. Hard knocks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a good post. It's a very good So.
Speaker 1: I mentioned that the Bears average one point eight yards for passing play earlier today, which you almost never see. The Cowboys averaged one point five with all the sacks that they took. On one hand, I want to just blame everything on the Cowboys. On the other hand, this Eagles defense really is totally different. So I think the level of dominance is consistent with what this front has been doing lately, and that, to me, is the most encouraging things shook out of this season. Because hurts like he he took five sacks. I think in this game he was holding the ball forever. He actually had kind of an up and down firstaff They probably should have put it away even earlier. But man that their offensive line is awesome, and their defensive line in this young secondary, keeps playing better. I know that there's almost not too much you can even take away from playing the Cowboys, but I think this is a team that's building confidence. And again we have another week where now Nick Sirianni is not the main character.
Speaker 2: Again he did it.
Speaker 1: Nothing weird happened with Nick sirian Congratulations, congrats.
Speaker 9: You got to hang out in the background this week because it was that easy of a win. There was one sequence where the Eagles defense really shined to me, and it was when they decided to trade fumbles deep in Eagles territory. First, the Cowboys were on the goal line. Zeke fumbles it into the end zone. It's recovered. I think it was Cooper Dejina got it in the end zone, and then Jalen Hurts the strip sacked, and the Cowboys find themselves essentially in the same spot they were before, first and goal. Four plays, one yard settled for a field goal, Jalen Carter stuffing a run I think it was on second or third down, just waiting for Rico Dwell in the hole. Yeah, this defense is really coming together, and it's again the result of investment up front in the secondary, those kids are all kind of maturing at the same time, and Vic's doing a great job of organizing all and taking advantage of their strengths. Bryce Huff got a sacked today, like Bryce hoff did something all right, Like they're coming together. I'm super excited to watch this team because they've started to work out the kinks offensively when serirown, he's not the main character, they're really fun to watch and the defense is coming together. So like, this is a team that I see very much obviously contending for the NFC East, but also being a bit of a player in the playoffs. Yeahl conference where they're playing right now.
Speaker 1: You know, it's like, okay, who's who's the team in the NFC. Yeah, right now, they're seven and two. They're one of the top two seeds in the NFC after ten weeks. That's a good place to be, not a good place to be this low in the order. And that's not the Eagles fault. That was me punishing you Cowboys for what you've become and for putting, you know, being in such big spots. The Thanksgiving Game is Cowboys Giants. That that's annoying. You got to get them out of Sunday Night Football in week sixteen. So you know, it wasn't your fault, Philadelphia, but Dallas, we were putting you as deep into the rundown as possible. They were the final domestic game, but we wanted to save a really fun game in Germany for the last game before Sunday Night Football.
Speaker 19: Gonni Hacker and Eddie Pinero going over the placement. The ball is on the right hash just inside the right hand officially at thirty six yarder for the win in Munich. Chance of Snappeckers hole Pinero's kick.
Speaker 2: And it is hey Eddie who lig it for the Panthers, and ot.
Speaker 1: That was any stroff of WRFX, Yes, Eddie Pinero. Twenty to seventeen. Panthers get a win in Munich. He blew the lead late. They thought Danny Diames was gonna do it, but a fumble by Tyrone Tracy on the first play from scrimmage in overtime, forced by trusty veteran Ashawn Robinson has had a nice career. People thought he was a bust in Detroit and he's bounced around help help the Rams. Now he's helping the Panthers win a game here. Twenty to seventeen. They get it done on NFL Network. It was close. We had back and forth scoring in the second half. Considering these two teams, I think it was all we could have asked for and one thing I enjoyed and I have a feeling you'll agree, Patrick is I think the Bryce Young rejuvenation is a thing. I think he's played better football over the last three weeks.
Speaker 4: He has, and even in because there were there were the ten incompletions that he had today, one a late third down where I feel like the Giants got away on a hold on a wheelwout that could have been a first down. Cooker had a dropped ball in the end zone that was beautifully thrown on a fade. Bryce stepping away from pressure, stepped up on the touchdown pass to Newton earlier in the game, where you know the pressure is coming. In early season, Bryce maybe doesn't get to that point in the read, maybe the rush gets to him, but he gets through there. The Panthers as a team looked better. But I think it allows us to get a better evaluation of Bryce Young, who shows the things that got him drafted number one overall in the first place.
Speaker 1: Yeah, his misses in the last few weeks, really all three weeks, I've understood them all, Like all the decisions now he's forced it in a couple but that's okay. If he's being a little over aggressive like his misses today, we're all close to decisions were good. They trusted him for a big third and eight late in the game that you thought was gonna ice it, and he has a money throw on the sideline that was to Cocher. Did you mention that or that was the league? And I thought that ends up, you know, icing the game. But he went out of bounds there. It's always a catch twenty two. You got to get the first down. But he goes out of bounds there. And then the clock stops a few more times with Giants timeouts, and then Tubbahrbard drops a swing pass that probably wasn't gonna be a first down, but at least would have run the clock down a little bit, and so it gave Danny Dimes a chance to send the Giants to overtime. Nick after just a dispiriting day watching Danny Dimes, and he does what Danny Dimes does, which is after having so many bad moments, he actually has a really nice two minute drive and I'm thinking, oh, they're gonna win this game, and then they're gonna be in between again, not knowing what to do about Dimes and then they end up losing through no fault of his own. But that was really the only just about the only highlight from him at the end, where he did conduct a good two minute drive to get the tie at the end of regulation.
Speaker 9: Yeah, sometimes in football things don't go your way, but it ends up working out for the best because you can assign blame elsewhere, or maybe you just you know, avoid winning games that make you think twice about keeping somebody or proceeding forward with somebody into future seasons. And I feel like this is one of those games because it's the Panthers, right, the same team that beat the Saints and forced them to fire their coach. It's it's a low level loss, like it's it's one that you have a hard time explaining. But that's been Dimes for most of this year. Like he was a guy who was good between the twenties. First stretch of this season, He's had some good games. He's also just been wildly inconsistent. And that was kind of You got the full experience, minus like a million fumbles from him today.
Speaker 3: So this is what I've come to expect from the Giants.
Speaker 9: Tyrone Tracy had a good day until he fumbled away possession in overtime. The fact that they got to overtime I thought was impressive considering the way that the game was going. But I was, you know, to kind of serve go all the way back to Bryce Young. That was what stood out to me the most. Like, and he's been on this path for a few weeks now, guys, you know, it's got to the point where last week I wrote in QB Index he deserves to continue playing like there's no use in putting Andy Dalton back in. He had to throw early in this game. It was the top of my notes where I just said, he made a really nice, like off platform throw. He's in the pocket, he's moving left and he sees a guy crossing over the middle of the field and.
Speaker 3: Rips it wide open. I mean, great throw, right on target.
Speaker 9: Did it again later with a touch pass over the middle of the over routes have really been somewhere that he's found a lot of success. I love what I'm seeing from him. He's got confidence now. He didn't have any last year or in the first two weeks of this season. He's starting to build it now. They might be able to reclaim this and then get on a path forward and not worry about quarterback anymore.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't want to overpraise him like as almost like a backhanded compliment. He's just built up the last three weeks consistent performances that look like an NFL quarterback, like an NFL start, and that that's a big change, and so it makes you excited for what they could have, Like they still have a lot more to see, but it's been really incouraging. That's like, Okay, here's a dude that's an NFL quarterback. How can we figure out everything around him? They gave Chuba Harvard a nice contract this week. He was breaking tackles all over the place. He had a costly fumble in this game too, but ends up with one hundred and fifty three yards and a touchdown on the ground. And yeah, like the decision making on the Dimes interception, there was just a couple of plays that I think is why he's going to get bench during their bye week. After the game, Brian Dable was asked if he was still going to be the quarterback.
Speaker 2: And he said, we'll evaluate it.
Speaker 1: And usually, as if said on this podcast so many times when they say we're evaluating it. It means the quarterback is going to be changed, because in the past he's always said he's our quarterback, and I think he'll look back to a couple decisions. There was a flea flicker in the first half where Wandel Robbinson's just wide ass open. It's on a three third and one, and just Dimes just doesn't throw it, and there's just been a lot of and then there was the interception late in the game where again Kurt Warner I think was getting frustrated watching this, like they're in the red zone, they're trying to catch up. They're down by three, I believe at that point in the fourth quarter, and the read is the slant he's thrown on third down in the flat to a guy that has no chance to score. And not only was it a bad decision, but it was inaccurate, so it's behind the receiver and then it pops up in the air for an interception. So it was like every Dimes thing combined bad decision, like not seeing the field well and also just bad luck. Frankly, like it's like it's also just bad, Like he's had a lot of bad luck. It's enough it's not even about the injury guaranteed that he has. I think when they go into the by they will at some point announce that Drew Locke is the starting quarterback, and yeah, they might as well give Lock a chance. Maybe it'll be Tommy DeVito, who knows the Bears. I'm the Panthers rather get a win. Three wins on the season for the Panthers. Suddenly they're on a winning streak.
Speaker 4: Yeah, first ever with Bryce Young as the start. We go back to back wins. So congratulations of the Panthers and to Bryce Young. But yeah, just a brutal Dimes performance where it's not just the catastrophic plays because the ball goes off well, first of all, just Davian Clownbey, you know, the six foot four inch long arm right in the face. It's not like JD got a hand on it. He hit it directly in the face while jumping to make a play. It's not just those, just the scattershot accuracy because the Doom's turnovers can happen, but just ball placement has been wayward all season long. They come into this game against the Carolina Panthers defense that hasn't stopped anybody on the run at a historic pace and they end up throwing the ball thirty seven times with Jones trying to get I guess something going with the offense.
Speaker 1: He had his chance, right, They had like a ninety six year touchdown driving there. They have things to like, like Malik Neighbors is a real player. Theo Johnson keeps playing. He's a real player. And you want the bright side though, electric right side is with the win, Carolina dropped to tenth in the Tankathon draft order, and what the Giants are number two right now?
Speaker 2: Now, we got a long way to go. There are so many teams.
Speaker 1: Eleven teams have either two or three loss two wins right now, so more than a third in the league has either two or three wins. So there's a long way to go. But this could be a big one for the Giants, maybe getting their future quarterback. Let's go to Sunday Night football, the Lions and the Texans, two teams that they don't need a quarterback.
Speaker 11: From fifty two yards out, hashmark left side.
Speaker 5: Baits was good from fifty eight to tie the game.
Speaker 14: Can he send it through from here to send the Lions home with a victory.
Speaker 2: There's the snap spot kick away, it is up and it is.
Speaker 5: Gode Hey got it. We're gonna front home on the wings of kick baked pud back.
Speaker 11: Good from fifty eight, Good from fifty two cutting out for the Detroit Lions.
Speaker 1: That was Dan Miller and Lomas Brown from wx YT. If it's Sunday, it's Dan Miller having a good time on NFL Daily of Victory.
Speaker 2: You didn't see.
Speaker 1: Coming at halftime when it was twenty three to seven Texans, but the Lions come all the way back to win it in the fourth quarter. A touchdown to Amon Ross Say Brown at the beginning of the quarter, a fifty eight yarder for Baits with five minutes to go, and yes, the buzzer beater to send us home. Just a little earlier, Nick shook, although you're you're already at home. What a game between the Lions and the Texas. It was crazy, It was sloppy, But I guess if you can't beat the Lions when you pick off Jared Goff five times, you just can't beat the Lions.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I mean anytime you win the turnover margin five to two and you managed to go scoreless in the second half, I mean, there's there was multiple instances.
Speaker 3: Really, the turning point the game was CJ.
Speaker 9: Stroud having a wide open tank down on the end zone and slightly under throwing it almost because he was so panicked because Dell was so wide open that he left a little bit too much air out of the ball. That was the turning point. And then it just started an avalanche of points for the Lions. You're right, if you turn them over five times and don't beat them, then you can't beat them. Even if some of those picks by Jared Goff were unfortunate outcomes, not necessarily his mistakes. What a crazy game, right, Even the field goals they got by by about I don't know. If you plug three of my eyelashes and stacked them up together right here on the inside of the goalpost, that's about the margin for air on those kicks.
Speaker 3: R Yet he drilled knock them through.
Speaker 1: I mean, Collinsworth got us halfway there, compared it to Raftery. But he's got to do the impression. He's like with the kiss, you know, he's got to do the whole thing. And then he did it on the right side too.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: The last one maybe didn't quite nudge the goal post, but it just got in there.
Speaker 2: What a story.
Speaker 1: First of all, Jake Bates again NFL Daily July, shout out this UFL kid who yes, he was laying bricks in Houston at some point, and then he gets back into kicking. He was a soccer player and to be taken from the UFL to where he's built up now and hitting nails kicks. Look, the Texans did a lot of right things in this game, and ultimately you can look at it, like the officials I think missed a pretty clear PI on a third and four that would have gotten their field position even better, would have given them a first down to run down the clock and try to get closer with about a minute forty left, they don't call the PI. Terry Arnold leaves the game and they go for the long fair bearon kick. He misses it. So one guy misses the long kick, the other guy doesn't make it. But I do look and you can look at it. That's the difference in the game, and I understand being upset there. But in the second half they had seven turnovers, I mean seven possessions. The first play of the second half was an interception by Stroud, great play by car to Davis. You mentioned the other one that he had, which was an absolute turning point, but they also had five other possessions where they just couldn't move the ball. All the problems that have been happening that were gone in the first half that CJ. Stroud overcame in a really fantastic performance for thirty minutes. We're back where the offensive line couldn't protect their running game wasn't there the whole night. And I give the Lions defense a ton of credit in this game. They sneaky had an amazing performance because Brian Branch was making plays, Kirby Joseph was making plays in the first half, and I actually thought a lot of the plays that Stroud made to Metchi that last touchdown he had before the end of the half, some of the throws to Schultz, one to Tank Dell, those were just outstanding football plays that you give more credit to the quarterback than you take away from the defense. And the pressure was there throughout the game. They ended up being fourth in the entire NFL NICK this week in success rate in terms of defense, so they really show Houston's offense down pretty consistently in this game and they get out of there in a win, and just I know, Dan Campbell's gonna love this being able to win different types of games.
Speaker 2: That's what great teams do.
Speaker 9: Yeah, you know the Lions were on the ropes. I mean you looked at the score and it was twenty three to seven. You thought, where is this Lion's team? I thought the score would be twenty three to seven in favor of the Lions, not the Texans, considering all the problems that the Texans have dealt with in recent weeks.
Speaker 3: And you're absolutely right.
Speaker 9: The passing protection really broke down the second half, and a lot of credit is due to that Detroit defense. There was that one play in particular where James Houston just speeds around Larryman Tunsel and he completely whiffs on it. I laughed like I giggled as I watched the replay, just because it shows the speed off the edge and how a guy when he reaches out and tries to extend and whiffs, how it can destroy a play. I think it was on that same play that Titus Howard tried to take the ball out of CJ.
Speaker 3: Stroud's hands.
Speaker 2: What is happening? What is happening that should count as fall.
Speaker 9: And it illustrates the breakdown that was this I half for the Texans, who moved the ball a little bit and then they just stopped and a little bit and then just stopped. What a performance, but a gutsy performance for the Lions where everything was going against them. They were not playing like themselves, and then they found themselves in the second half. They were able to create the turnovers. They were able to shake off their own turnovers because Jared Goff, you don't get to five interceptions without turning over a little bit in the second half too, which he did.
Speaker 3: And honestly, I think his last.
Speaker 9: Two picks were his worst two picks because one was an anticipatory throw to San La Portal that was never open, and the other one was a great defensive play but also a ball that you probably shouldn't throw down in the deep third there. So they were able to overcome all of that. That is the mark of a winner. That is the mark of a team that has been through the fire like they were in the playoffs last year, and it's a very encouraging sign for one of the best teams in the NFL.
Speaker 1: It's a heartbreaking loss for the Texans. I think you just put it so well that these two teams are two of that cool, hot, like rising exciting organizations teams in the NFL, and they're at different stages of their development. And the Texans were so close to having a six Nichure win tonight, so I don't want that to get lost in what happened. Because their defense was flying all over the place in the first half. Petrie was awesome. They had injuries. Kamari Lassiter with some friendly fire, leaves the game. In the second half, they lose Fatakasi, so they lose a couple of pieces. Will Anderson didn't even play in this game, and they really pressure Jared Goff. His pressure numbers for most of the game were just awful. The success rate on Detroit's runs were so bad going into the fourth quarter, and they're still pretty bad, but they finally got a running game going in the fourth quarter, so they were so close. They did a lot of really good things. I actually think this was the best Texans game that they've played in a wild They came out angry, they played really physical after that Jets game, and I'm seeing some like fraud watch with the Texans, and I get that. Actually, I think to this point in the season they have not been as good as their record. I actually do take positives out of tonight. I think was more composed in the pocket for the most part. The fact it all fell apart is still concerning the fact they don't have a running game and offensive line. Yeah, they're not real super super super Bowl contenders, but I do think they have a toughness. I think they have a defense, and I think they have a quarterback. And when they get Nico Collins back and Will Anderson on the field, I do think they have things. I actually think this was the most encouraging game by the Texans in a while, maybe since the very beginning of the season, and that the Detroit Lions are just they're just those dudes.
Speaker 8: Man.
Speaker 2: They had individual.
Speaker 1: Players Gibbs Laporta that made great individual plays, branch as a Defensive Player of the Year candidate. A great call by Ben Johnson on a third and nine, like like when they were facing on their own zone, like where they got it to get.
Speaker 2: To that play, like they were in trouble there.
Speaker 1: There were so many little moments where they were in such big trouble and so that's my long winded flowers to the Texans fans.
Speaker 2: Yeah, probably not feeling too good right now.
Speaker 3: Glad.
Speaker 9: I'm glad you mentioned that Gibbs play because it was a beautiful example of Ben Jonson getting creative and getting a guy open when you know you're the situation's kind of stacked against you. He pulls Pennay Sewell out on the right side with a great little you know, he sheds the rusher and says, all right, go after him. It's kind of like a screen action that you would get as an offensive lineman gets out in front, perfect swing pass to Gibbs, He gets down the field. They go from inside their own ten to near the forty yard line, and that jump starts a drive that was, you know, obviously crucial for them. That's what the Lions do well. They get creative in spots and usually it works out for them. The startling fact was that it wasn't working out for them for two quarters, which is, you know, a credit to the Texans. I think that this despite the loss, and you know, you can say whether there are moral victories or not there or not, because this could be a crushing loss for a worse team. But I think that The Texans are built to rebound from this because of what you just said about their defense. They also get Dallas, Tennessee and Jacksonville's the next three and a really late eye. So I think it's going to set up really well for them where they can go on a bit of a run before they go into that final month, which is tough Miami, Kansas City, Baltimore and Tennessee again. But you're coming out of the by As long as you can stay healthy, you get Collins back, I think you'll be okay.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they their defense played more than well enough to win one of the better games of the season by a defense that touchdown field goal field goal. That's tough stuff in the fourth quarter to give up. But that was the twelfth, thirteenth and fourteenth possessions the Lions had in the game.
Speaker 2: They turned them over five times.
Speaker 1: The game should have been over by then, and the Texans offense they just couldn't hold up their end of the bargain. Wow, what a fun way and a fun week ten. We will be back on Monday night. Bridget Condon coming into the Chris Westling podcast studio.
Speaker 2: I'm doing the Monday Night Football.
Speaker 1: If you're watching over in the UK, so she's going to come up with me and Nick has a night in the podcast off. Thank you Nick for an outstanding performance on this recap.
Speaker 2: And yeah, when the Lions are.
Speaker 1: The best team in the NFL, you know football is back back in the nineteen fifties or something. I don't care if I went too long.