Speaker 1: Ridiculous History is a production of iHeartRadio. Welcome back to the show, Fellow Ridiculous his historians. Thank you as always so so much for how are you doing this? Monster?
Speaker 2: We got to give a shout out to our super producer, hurting my heart.
Speaker 1: Last last one was hurting everything.
Speaker 3: I do want to point out that beforehand, I had like five mental typos before we start here.
Speaker 2: As an I.
Speaker 3: Even clapped and when I kind of three in my own head and clapped for her, realizing at the count out loud.
Speaker 2: For that to work, we got to fun. It's a ritual. It's technically a technical thing, but it's also fun to do.
Speaker 1: It just gets us on board. It's a fun activity.
Speaker 3: And just to confirm so no one has to be worried, I can confirm that we are in fact actually recording.
Speaker 1: This right now. Tight tight, Hey, you're no me. I'm Ben Bullen you. A while back, Noel, we had a lot of fun, uh you. Max and I were recorded in the studio about a series on famous mistranslations.
Speaker 2: That's true, Remember that I remember nothing about it. No, that's not true. One of them was about Coca Cola being a ghosts.
Speaker 3: You're the ghost of your ancestors back Jimmy Carter wanted to have sex with Eastern European country. Can't remember which one specifically.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think it may have been Germany, or that may have been the old the old tale about Kennedy and the alleged donuts. I just want to make love to the world. Yeah, we've all been there to do.
Speaker 2: We're talking about a sort of I guess, adjacent topic today to mistranslations. We're talking about typos, which is, I don't know, mistranslations is sort of its own ball of axe, and that it requires sort of good intentions and then just kind of missing the boat.
Speaker 1: Typos are just.
Speaker 2: Kind of about willy nilly, you know, making mistakes. Usually it just involves a couple of extra letters, like you said, Bet, But sometimes a typo can become a mistranslation, can't it, or a very least an unintended word that has hilarious It's an often controversial meaning and fallout.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it can change the nature of what is being communicated. We're grateful for Research Associate Jeff factor g helping us out with this. I was trying to do some typo jokes as we were recording so much more when you speak, it's more of a but I tried to. I tried to misspell ridiculous history, and it was tough to make my fingers do it.
Speaker 2: Oh Okay, I got as you were doing verbal typos and typographical typos. Okay, good to know you were you were, You were committing to the bit, Ben, I respect the hustle. Uh. Today we're talking about major typos that cause some whipsies, some chaos.
Speaker 1: A little boobies, yeah, and typos are Look, there is no organization, there is no authority that is immune to typos, because they're very easy to mess up. If you read a lot, then you'll notice some typos occur more often than others. A famous example in graphic novels in particular, is actually Soldier spelled solidaire.
Speaker 2: Interesting a little inversion, perhaps right transposition rather or maybe it's neither of those things. But you know, I guess in this day and age, when most of our typing or our text based communication happens on devices, we've got a lot of auto correct typos that are kind of fun, yeah, and can be really hilarious. I don't know this has ever happened to you, Ben, but has your phone ever accidentally gone into voice to text mode when you didn't know it, and it was just listening in on a whole conversation, and you look down and there's this absurdist composed poem there waiting. Sometimes I just send them to whoever it was composed to. Its fun, you know, for posterity and for art.
Speaker 1: You know, I mentioned that I think on stuff that I want you to know. But my most infamous and most embarrassing typo from Auto correct. I was texting with my mother when she was around, and I told her we were just shooting the breeze, and I said what I meant to say was yeah, mom, I'm thinking of growing a mustache. And what Auto It's infinite wisdom decided I meant to say was yeah, mom, I think I'm thinking of growing a moist ache. Oh you've mentioned that before, been a moist ache. It sounds so, oh my goodness, scandalous. You said that to your mother, I know, but luckily, luckily, she was a very forgiving woman. And it wasn't like I was making typos over at NASA, though NASA itself is not immune to typos. Maybe we start with a title. I know, we both love the Wicked Bible. What have you done? Then I'll tell you what you've done is a brilliant segue.
Speaker 2: Oh sucks the Wicked Bible.
Speaker 1: The King James version.
Speaker 2: Of the Bible one of the most ubiquitous versions of said holy text, spearheaded by Yes, you guessed it, King James. Ah, yeah, King Jane, which one from earlier?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's all I need to know.
Speaker 2: And there is, if you can museum for just about everything, a Museum of the Bible, and they have a dot org and they had this to say about a very infamous typo that took place in printing of the Bible.
Speaker 1: Of course, the King.
Speaker 2: James was one of the most widely circulated versions, and that's what led to it being so ubiquitous even today from collections, not Museum of the Bible dot org. Printing the Bible with movable type on an early modern press was a remarkably difficult task. As the King's printer, Robert Barker held the exclusive right to print all English Bibles, including the King James Bible, but his early editions were marred by poor quality. And you guessed the typographical errors. Yes, in the beginning, God said, let there be I yeah, and everything was I.
Speaker 3: So if I can jump in here really quick, Noel posed this onto the universe. So I wanted to follow up with the King James of Bible fame is King James one of England, King James sixth of Scotland. We've talked about this in the past, but basically those lines were merged together after the whole King Henry eighth and all that and all the fallout.
Speaker 1: He exactly good.
Speaker 2: Note King James One, his buddy Robert Barker was making a mess of the English language and Bible form.
Speaker 1: The dangers of monopoly then as now, look for the majority of typos. If you're reading in a language that you're already fluent in, you'll usually be able to get the gist right because your brain will kind of pre arrange the pattern, but it'll transpose it into the right direction right. Yeah, yeah, including entire words right and sections of phrases. But this is one of the most hilarious history rocket typos in all of Europe.
Speaker 2: It's a typo biomission. Yes, it still is still a type oftheless. In sixteen thirty one there was this reprint of the King James Bible Robert Barker that we just mentioned, teamed up with a guy named Marca Martin Lewis to publish this. But they they whipped on one big important thing, the seventh Commandment. The seventh Commandment in English translation reads thou shaltst not commit adultery. Clear got already explicit, not open to interpretation unless you miss the word not. That's right, and well, not all the commandments are things you're not supposed to do.
Speaker 1: Some of them are things you're supposed to do. So if you didn't know.
Speaker 2: Better, you might think, here, wait a minute, I missed the memo on this one.
Speaker 1: They totally missed the word not. And so this Bible had the seventh Commandment printed as thou shalts commit adultery and it appeared in like a thousand copies of this text.
Speaker 2: That's right, yeah, which isn't a lot. And you got to imagine those would be worth a pretty penny. And that is in fact the case. I found an article from The Guardian from back in twenty fifteen where one of these wick rare as heck wicked Bibles went on sale, one of only ten remaining copies of sixteen thirty one Sinners or wicked Bible with the as the Guardian puts it, infamous dipo imploring readers to commit adultery. And it went on auction for actually the asking price was between ten and fifteen thousand pounds. Not sure what it's sold for. I bet we could figure it out.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, but speaking of.
Speaker 2: Pounds, yeah, this was They were pounded a little bit for this mistake.
Speaker 1: There was a bit of a fee involved, a bit of a fine. Yeah, hold up to the court of the current king at the time, keeting Charles the First and Charles the First is just rightly upset. He said, you guys are making us look bad. We don't support adultery on paper. As the king, I just commit adultery. And this is like totally my thing. You know, you're messing up. You're jacking up my spot. Man blowing up the spot. So they lose their printing license, that all important royal approval. They get up a three hundred pound fine held over their heads. This Eventually the fine gets dismissed and three hundred pounds is an egregious amount of money at this point, and most of the texts are you know, astute listeners. You heard us say a thousand copies were printed, only ten known copies remain. It's because the government of the time actively sought to take these take these naughty Bibles out of commission.
Speaker 2: And pretty seriously yeah yeah, because I mean, you know, in these days, you couldn't just depend on people to kind of fill in the blanks. You know, this could have led to some you know, societal upheaval in the wrong hands. Exactly what happened to the sanctity of marriage is out the window because of the wicked Bible.
Speaker 1: Could have led to a lot of really weird, uh, domestic disagreements, you know, like, honey, I'm doing this as a Christian.
Speaker 2: Totally, and I'm sure there are many folks that truly believe that that's what they're doing. This, unfortunately, did lead to the sad, unwinding decline of Barker and his you know life.
Speaker 1: Really, I mean, it's.
Speaker 2: Hard to walk that one back your whole You had one job and you did a bad job, and you got fined. You were the King's right hand printing man, and now you're out in the cold. And his reputation was shot. He was in and out of prison and ultimately died in prison the King's Bench prison in sixteen forty five, A bummer because.
Speaker 1: It's it's not the end though. That's true because there.
Speaker 2: There is a conspiracy theory at play on purpose. We still, yeah, we still don't know exactly how the misprint happened. The conspiracy theory is that there may have been an act of in dust real sabotage. A rival printer knew just had You know, this is a very small industry at this time. It reminds me of that's seen an Anchorman, where they like mess with Ron Bergundy's teleprompter and make him tell san Diego to go f itself. I guess he'll You know, that's an act that was an act of sabotage, of character assassination, and perhaps, yeah, maybe somebody had it out for the guy. I mean, they thought he was a little too cozy with the king and they wanted to cut him down a peg, and cut him down a peg they did.
Speaker 1: Good story, but maybe not entirely accurate if we go to medieval studies expert Chris Jones, speaking with the Guardian in twenty twenty two, he says, look, that sabotage thing, it's a juicy story. But it's probably just a rumor. Chris knows a lot about printing at this time in the sixteen hundreds, and he says it's way more likely that these printers were in a cutthroat, competitive industry and they were trying to cut costs and they flew too far. They were they committed a sin of like a budget line Icarus. They flew too close to the typographical sun. Yes, yeah, yeah, they were. They were cutting costs on copy editors, says Chris. And that's what happened. So other people, devout Christians of the time would have also burned their copies. That happened as well.
Speaker 2: This this is a cool story, one man, if you can get one.
Speaker 1: You think they're still surprised by how affordable they are. No, really, there's only ten h I mean. Max points out that in twenty fifteen a copy sold for around forty four thousand dollars in twenty twenty three money, which is way cheaper than I thought it would be.
Speaker 2: For sure, when you said affordable, that is not a fable affordable content in terms of like historical artifacts, in terms of ancient Bibles.
Speaker 1: Absolutely absolutely you can get reprints. However, Yeah, and reprints, historical curios or always fun for us bibliophiles. There's another one here that our pal Jeff found, which I had not actually heard of. And this is neither. This is massively offensive, but it's also now in retrospect, it's hilarious. It happened in twenty ten, is very recent. The Pasta Bible by Lee Blaylock had to be reprinted in Australia because one recipe was supposed to call for salt and freshly ground black people lest.
Speaker 2: They cause a hulla balloo and another breaking down of civilization as we know it. We're cooking and eating our brethren because of this damnable pasta Bible. I love the idea, and it's funny that this is follow you know, there's the Bible, Bible, the Wicked Bible, and then we got the pasta Bible. And in my mind, it's a Bible that's made of pasta. But that's I like it. I like that it's that's salt and freshly ground black people.
Speaker 1: Oh I was just reading. That's that's even worse.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they meant black pepper, yes, of course, but then I didn't even catch that they could have left out black and it just would have been funny.
Speaker 1: Now it's now they're gonna cause a race war. Yeah, well it's it's an egregious misstep and it shows us you can't trust automated uh spell check all the time. You need someone to read line by line. Here's what happened that we're gonna we're gonna explore this with again some help from the Guardian. There's a recipe for tag lit deli with sardines and Prosciutto's beautiful. Okay, yeah, yeah, and uh it scandalized Penguin Australia, the publisher, because this is the recipe that said you need salt and freshly ground black, not pepper. Uh so this they didn't know about this until someone bought the book and read it and wrote to them and said, hey, you guys, quick check in quick circle up, let's have a chat. At this time, they had already printed seven thousand copies of the Pasta Bible and they said, okay, well, we got to take the l we got to destroy these because we cannot be seeing, you know, advocating cannibalism. And the head of the publishing in Penguin Australia at the time, a guy named Robert Sessions later spoke to the Sydney Morning Herald and said this is going to cost about twenty thousand dollars, which, again surprisingly I thought it would have cost more. But you can't really put a price on the public embarrassment, right.
Speaker 2: It does appear to still be in print or something called the Pasta Bible. It looks like kind of like a coffee table type, you know, big color photograph type recipe book.
Speaker 1: Hmm, interesting coffee table cookbook. I hope it has a big a big like bang a pal sticker on the front that says now without cannibalism exactly. Now.
Speaker 2: I'm seeing multiple covers of it, which leads me to believe that it was printed in multiple additions. And I do see a reprint or an image of the page in question. Spelt Taglili with sardines and proscutto. You got your spelt pasta, do your extra virgin olive oil, tablespoon two and at tablespoons of butter, clothes of garlic, fresh red chilis, chibata bread torn into small Interesting, Okay, I'd like some more carbs with my carbs.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, exactly. It's like the British with the toast sandwich, which is still a phenomenal thing.
Speaker 2: Indeed, Yeah, we've got dice preshudo twelve fresh sardine filets, as the Brits might say. And then we've got salt and freshly ground black people. Someone has circled it and it says oops.
Speaker 1: And then we've got.
Speaker 2: Some parsley roughly chopped and a quarter cup red wine vinegar. Sounds like a delight except for them, oopsy.
Speaker 1: Let me tell you why this is such a big deal, folks. Outside of religious texts, the number one selling book format is the cookbook.
Speaker 2: Oh of course, so they often are reprinted many, many, many many times.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and so as of this time twenty ten, when Sessions is speaking with the Sydney Morning Herald, he says, look, we don't know how to recall copies that are already out in the wild. To be very difficult. He said, look, I'm mortified that this has become an issue. He's saying, it's pretty much it's clearly an accident. We obviously don't advocate for this, and he said it was probably automated spell check, not our proofreaders. We think this error is forgivable. It's a silly mistake. There's no implication. And if you are uncomfortable with your copy of the pasta Bible, just give it back to us and we will give you a new book.
Speaker 2: Stop being offended the public, right, yeah, go luck with that. Don't be a bunch of doords. Oh man, you and your you and your segues.
Speaker 1: I don't know if doord is going to work as an insult.
Speaker 2: I think it does. It kind of sounds like adults or you know, or dork. You know is great. What's the deal with doord?
Speaker 1: What's the deal with door? Yeah?
Speaker 2: That's good. The very sign of feld in of you. Well, what is the deal with dord? I don't know this one?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah. It is often called arguably the most famous dictionary typo of all time. Travel back with us to nineteen thirty four. The new edition of Webster's New International Dictionary has published, and the editors say, okay, we're gonna put it. We're going to institute a different system. We're listing abbreviations and words separately. And you know, these are the kind of improvements you always see with reference works year over year or textbooks. You know, just a little bit of clarification that's right.
Speaker 2: And also, like you know, sometimes new words do get get admitted. You know, that's sort of a thing, right, isn't There usually like a way we always talk about it like this, Yeah, the word ghosted got you know, admitted to the Webster's Miriam Webster Dictionary. And also what the Oxford English that's maybe the one that we typically talk to.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the oed right right, Oxford English Dictionary.
Speaker 2: They make a bit of a to do about it. It's a bit of a newsmaker whenever there's new words. But doored unfortunately not a real word, not a new word. It had no place or business in the zeitgeist whatsoever.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if you look at this edition from nineteen thirty four, you'll see one entry for dor soapsis or door coppice, which is the type of small kangaroo, and dori golden in color. Between those two there is a word called doored and it is described as a noun meaning density. In the fields of physics and chemistry, that.
Speaker 2: I believe that, I would absolutely believe that dude cork the word rsule what are some other action the action from a distance? Even, Yeah, chemistry words are already wild, so we would believe this if we were not experts in physics or chemistry, which we are not in nineteen thirties or in twenty twenty five.
Speaker 1: But it was not a word. It had not been accepted into canonical English. It wasn't it wasn't a misprint of a word with a different definition. It just happened. And Webster's can later go on to confirm this. But it's also interesting if you look at the definition, there's none of the usual bells and whistles of a dictionary entry. There's no etymology, there's no sentence or example of use. So we don't really we kind of know how this how this ghost word came to be? Right? Who called it a ghost? Credit?
Speaker 2: Where credits due? That's clever, that's from snoops. Good on you Snopes. So in the first edition of Websters, we started to see abbreviations making the making the cut, things like LB for pounds.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, and they were uh, they were combined with words, so they were all in the same list. You know about that? Then? How do you feel about that? That seems I think that's I think it was smarter them to divide the two. They didn't eventually do that. Right, yeah, yeah, I think the edition was.
Speaker 2: I think it's a convoluting element that perhaps led to our kerfuffle here.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So you would be looking at the entry for the word lazy. Everybody knows that word if you're speaking English, and right after it would be LB four pound and LB is already, frankly a very weird abbreviation, you know, because there's no L and there's no B in the actual word pound. Oh wait a minute.
Speaker 2: So even in this first edition they were supposed to be kind of in their own little section.
Speaker 1: They didn't think it through.
Speaker 2: They were intermingled, that's right, Ben intermingled in edition one, and then they thought better of it, and by edition two it was almost more of like glossary type material, right, like a little section about an appendix let's call on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, absolutely. And in nineteen thirty one, the Boffins had prepared this card that had notation on it, the notation D or D cont forward slash density big D or little D. Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, that kind of energy. This card, from what we could tell, was meant to indicate that the next edition of the dictionary that they printed would have listings for capital D and little D as abbreviations for the word density I get it now, and instead D or DC came doored and got a definition that was density related in science, So the word was already out of place. Yeah you know, and yeah, yeah I you ever thought about ben the logistics of we were giving them a hard time, But the logistics of manually printing absolutely dense reference type material like this It makes your head spin.
Speaker 2: Absolutely the level of organization to not have it all be totally jacked up, it really boggles the mind. So good on you printers of the past.
Speaker 1: It also reminds me of that crazy, ridiculous, somewhat inspiring but somewhat disturbing story of the creation of the Oxford English Dictionary. You probably heard the ODA novel, Yeah, the novel about the Professor and the mad Man. When he became a film. I'm where we must have talked about this, Okay. There's a book called The Professor and the mad Man. It's nonfiction. It's by a guy named Simon Winchester, and it explores this bizarre and real relationship between the chief editor of the OED, a guy named James Murray, and one of the most prolific contributors to the first edition a guy named William Chester Minor. So what what James Murray did you know? To your point about this being a herculean effort, James Murray asked interested members of the public to help contribute definition. He crowdsourced it. He crowdsourced about that. Yeah, and it worked really well. The one of the most frequent contributors. This guy was just always mailing new entries. It turned out that he was mailing all of these so frequently. He had because he had a lot of time on his hands. He was a patient and a mental asylum. Oh fun, Yeah, I'll give you something to do. It'll give you something to do with your hands. I guess right. What was that guy that the guy that drew lots of weird cats? Lewis Wayne. That's a fun one too, y'all check that one out.
Speaker 2: Sad at the end of the day, but really cool psychedelic drawings of cats and the somewhat misnomer of it, like documenting his dissent into madness or whatever, right, like it was a little bit overstating the case.
Speaker 1: We've got a series on it and the art is just super cool. I would love that as a coffee table book. Right. Oh that's a good call. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I'd love it as an inexplicable cookbook. I want to make a fake cookbook psychedelic. Yeah, it just says add like a little bit of periwinkle. No, wait, that's really add a shade of blue. Isn't a periwinkle? Also like a tiny mollusk? Yeah? Yeah, so that's too real. You could eat a periwinkle ridiculous, Yeah I have. Yeah, yeah, they're not bad, not bad. What about a barnicle? You ever eating a barnacle? I have not.
Speaker 2: People are screaming at their podcast device right now, I'll get on with it. All right. Let's move on to Philip Babcock Grove, editor in chief of That's Right, the third edition of Webster's New International Dictionary, who wrote an article about this whole fiasco in nineteen fifty four. He said, as soon as someone also entered the pronunciation, doord was given the slap on the back that sent breath into its being.
Speaker 1: Well, you gotta read this one, Ben, this next part about the etymologists. Yeah, yeah, it continues. Whether the etymologist ever got a chance to stifle it, there's no evidence it simply had no etymology. Therefore, only a proofreader had the final opportunity at the word. But as the proof passed under his scrutiny, he was at the moment not so alert and not.
Speaker 2: As suspicious as Khel. Yeah, the proofreader the last line of defense. So similar to similar to that weird report about the catibalistic cookbook, this edition of the New International Dictionary went out with doord, an entirely made up word, and nobody noticed. For five years a bunch of people were reading it, and just like us, they went, oh, door door door is also it's it would be spelled differently, but it's when you run into a door.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you got door, just got door? Uh huh yeah yeah yeah.
Speaker 2: I had a high school. Uh this, I don't know if I've talked about this guy before. His name was mister Dowd's and it's not the same as door, but he felt like he could have been in mister dor He was the computer teacher. But he was this really tight, little built bodybuilder of a man and uh he uh but like Megan, he looked like the guy that played Darth Vader.
Speaker 1: And if you'll remember him in a clockwork Orange.
Speaker 2: He's the big dude that carries around the writer and this is what mister Dowd's look like. He even wore these big, thick grim glasses. But he and his bodybuilding buddies for fun in college. He said they would like pick up people's Mini coopers and like move them to a different parking.
Speaker 1: That's awesome. I've heard of that, brink. Yeah. Also, dord Uh could possibly be a sub community of Nords in Skyrim.
Speaker 2: Arrow and the Knee and as its own etymological hilarity. Didn't we talk about how it meant to like propose or something like that.
Speaker 3: You guys married, Yeah, but jumping to the Doors would live in Uh, would live in There'd be Nords living on the Morrow.
Speaker 1: Wind Nor the Doors would live on the fjords of Nords in dagger Fell, to be called Dords.
Speaker 2: Nors.
Speaker 1: Come on, guys, that's good. No, No, that makes sense. What makes sense too.
Speaker 3: But Daggerfall is not a providence. But it's just people who live in the city.
Speaker 1: Of Daggerfall, right, is that in DLC. I don't know that.
Speaker 3: Daggerfall is the largest city in High Rock, which is also the name of the second game, Daggerfall, which takes place in the providences of high Rock and uh hammer Fall, which is where which is where the Dunmer I forget it wasn't cog correct, but he threw pretty much the dark n his hammer, and that's where atlanted hammer Fall as actually the hammer you can get from Malacath in Skyrim. By the way, the rumor is that Elder Scroll six is believed to be in high Rock, but then other people believe it's going to be in Hammerfall's confused with dagger Fall, because this is always the most confusing way to phrase these things, but no one actually knows. Moving on, I intentionally do that as in a filibuster every single time because I watched Noel's pain.
Speaker 1: Whenever I do that, yeah, it's yeah, it's real. Potentially Elder Scrolls will come out with its next iteration. Will podcast still be a thing? Will World War three happen? First? We don't know, but we do know five years after this dictionary and thence the word doored. An editor is a guy who works literally with Webster's dictionary is reading this and he goes, hang on a tick doored. And this person is brave enough to be the individual that raises their hands and says yeah. Hey, maybe I'm the dumb one here, but I've never heard of door? Why does it have no etymology? Why does it have no sample case? And guys, I think there may be a mistake or mystery here. So they banish doored from previous editions and almost no one noticed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's pronounced diord right rights, pronounced however you want to, because it's not a real word. But as you like to say, ben, English is a living language and we're still learning it ourselves. So who's to say, maybe doord will actually come around and finally get its due. Yeah, yeah, yeah, Because people would compile this dictionary back in the day, a bunch of dictionaries were ripping each other off. So it's kind of like how one Greco Roman historian would make one error and everybody else would just quote that error as gospel. So the word doored, despite being outed as a ghost word of phantom phrase, it keeps showing up in future dictionaries. And I love it. I love faith like a real ghost. Yeah, and get rid of weird books.
Speaker 1: Let's make a let's make a nonsensical, ridiculous history cookbook. One.
Speaker 2: People will buy it because it's a cookbook. Sure, and we're definitely gonna do it.
Speaker 1: Two we could throw in all yeah, we're definitely gonna get to it. Yeah, we're gonna throw in all sorts of surreal like real Kodek Seraphinanius kind of stuff. I would love that, Yeah, absolutely, But until then, there's actually more. We have a bit more.
Speaker 2: But I think we're gonna deserve it for one of our future Like it's gonna be its own kind of psychedelic stew since where we just you know, throw in a little bit of this, a little bit of that, but no fresh ground people.
Speaker 1: No, No, that's a guarantee for throwing green. However, is people.
Speaker 2: We are going to get to more prestigious crazy typos like the Lincoln Memorial and of course we tease NASA.
Speaker 1: We're just gonna tell you this. It's sometimes considered a million dollar typo. You'll have to tune into a future episode. Oh yeah, see what we're.
Speaker 2: Talking The Cannibal one was only a twenty thousand dollars typo. What could a million dollars? Maybe we got to talk about it.
Speaker 1: I don't know, it's it's pretty short, all right, Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, I'll play these radio games. Okay, let's play the ring here. I'm sorry, I'm sorry.
Speaker 2: I just it's too good not to give a little quick rundown on and I think the people deserve it. On July twenty second, nineteen sixty two, Mariner one, the spacecraft, you know, the one, the Mariner one, was being prepared for a mission to Venus and was set to launch from Cape Canaver, which you may have heard of there in Florida. Just a few minutes after liftoff, however, they shuttle did have to be destroyed due to a course correction.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, The official account still dispute what caused this probe to veer dangerously off course just seconds after launch. And a lot of people will tell you there was a missing hyphen in the guidance code. Other people will tell you there was a missing decimal and that's what that's what created this domino effect of miss steering.
Speaker 2: Now, this is an unmanned spacecraft. Let's just be clear, think, no, no lives were lost due to this type of graphical error.
Speaker 1: But that's right.
Speaker 2: You know, when you're dealing with like code and coordinates and things like that, every little character matters.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this poor guy the Mariner won because I do anthropomorphized robots fame. It lost control, it lost contact, and NASA made the call just two hundred and ninety three seconds after launch to blow the thing up. We know that it was a simple coding mistake. Like you said, Noel, it's not This computer code is not the same as writing poetry or fiction. It's not supposed to be open to soft interpretation. You're not supposed to get the gist.
Speaker 2: You gotta get it right overall, when we say a million dollar typo, we're talking more than a single million all in right, NASA lost around eighteen to five milk.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and they they say that despite the rumors about missing hyphens or decimals, the real culprit here was the omission of something called an overbar for the symbol R for radius. So just a regular capital R instead of an R with a line over it. So an error a typo of not even a full letter, just a little like a big little D situation. Yeah, just over again. Yeah, the big R was missing. It's a little it's happened.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And Arthur C. Clark had some snark to dish out. You may know him from two thousand and one a Space Odyssey fame. He called it with his rape here with the most expensive hyphen in history, which is you know, it was an under par Arthur C.
Speaker 1: Clark. He is the hat the hyphen that you're oversimplifying it a little bit.
Speaker 2: Well, well, well yeah, you know he's got away with words.
Speaker 1: There's a poetry to the man. No idea what that book is about, though, which book? Two thousand and one Space Odyssey? You know what that's about.
Speaker 2: It's about the existence in the universe. What is the star Child? There's a sequel to the movie.
Speaker 1: I haven't seen.
Speaker 2: It's supposed to be terrible. Boy Scher is in it.
Speaker 1: It's not great. It's an airplane watch. But I love that you're pointing out this is a multi million dollar mistake because even when it occurred, they were already set back eighteen point five million. That is over one hundred and eighty million dollars today. That's exactly right, and that is where we will leave you, fine, ridiculous historians. Huge thanks to our super producer, Max.
Speaker 2: The Giant skyrim nerd Williams, who I love dearly with all of my heart.
Speaker 1: But yeah, I don't know. I I just know Skyrim.
Speaker 2: I have a map of the thing in my guest room that was gifted to me by the lovely Matthew Frederick, who we will also think and who will be joining us on this very program. That's Matthew two hands Frederick from stuff they don't want you to know.
Speaker 1: What are we talking about? Coconut Yeah, lovely bunch of coconuts taking it to the extreme. This also we wanted him with some good news. Mariner Too did launch just thirty six days later. It flew by Venus. It was the first successful scientific planetary mission. So NASA was able to to power through this misstep, and we can't wait for you to power through some ridiculous history with us in the future. We've already teased some guests. Please check out our upcoming exploration with the legendary Jorge cham check out our Rude Dudes a Ridiculous Crime. You like our show, you'll love them, Ay j Bahamas, Jacobs, the Living Type himself, Jonathan Strickler aka the Quister, more of a semi colon really.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah yeah, Oh, Colin's I have some hot takes on those What about an Oxford comma?
Speaker 1: I don't even get me started. Oh Man, the Oxford comment We've got some stuff to break down off air. We can't wait to hear your favorite ridiculous type is. We'll see you next time before.
Speaker 2: For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.