Speaker 1: Talking about you guys. We have a very uh interesting episode for you guys today, Landline, directed by I mean basically a cast member of New Girl, so deeply embedded in the family, mister Trent O'Donnell and written by Rob Roselle. You wanna break it down, sure.
Speaker 2: Let's do that now. In this episode, Jess is forced to crack down on teacher hookups when she finds out that Coach is doing nasty stuff with two of their colleagues. But when a charming New British science teacher was brought in, her own self control is put to the test. Meanwhile, after a landline gets installed, Nick becomes the lost receptionist, bushing out unsolicited dating and work advice. Let's got to bring and we are back, as you said. Directed by Tren o'donald, written by Rob Roselle. No episode is called landline for obvious reasons. Now it's I am interested and you know write it in the comments below. How many folks, how many of our listeners had a landline or knew what a landline was? You know, because some of them are very very young and they are not in the age of landlines what soever. I mean some of them may have jobs where they work and they have the landlord the desk of the phone. That's still that's still a landline, but a lot of those still use like wireless services. So I am curious to see how many of these folks grew up with one. I know some of the people are our age, for sure, but a lot of the young folks discovering New Girl for the first time in recent years, I don't think they had landlines.
Speaker 1: I don't think so either. I think it's like, you know, this is what a phone looks like, you know, like it's just like that's the shape of it. That's how you hold it, Like there's no grip like this.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: You Also, I was thinking because they talk about it in the episode when the phone rings and they're like, who's that? And I was like, oh, yeah, you never knew who was calling and if someone was using the phone, no one else can call.
Speaker 2: Right now unless you had caller ID, which was a newer day, but.
Speaker 1: That was later. Then caller IDA came in, and then call waiting came in where you could hear a beep if someone else was trying to call, But those were like later inventions. I remember when I moved to La I was renting like a floor in a woman's house, and she was like, you need to get a landline because like the service up here is so bad. If you just have a cell phone, you might not be able to reach people. And I was like, oh, so I had to have like a landline and it cost two dollars a month. And I was like, you guys know what, you're going out of business.
Speaker 2: Right dollars? Yeah, that's crazy.
Speaker 1: It was. It was the craziest bill to pay. You're also I used it zero times. The cell phone worked just fine. I think she was just a little paranoid, like.
Speaker 2: Can I pay off the whole year up front?
Speaker 1: Here's twelve dollars?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah, So anyway, go ahead.
Speaker 1: Oh man. So Jess gets a call from Principal Foster, who calls her dog very strange, Jess Belzmasano bitch, and they're trying to have this conversation and it's not going well because there is no reception. That's happening in the loft because of construction, which the building.
Speaker 2: Up well, what happens is when you build, so there's a million reasons why construction could do it that maybe they they're using one of the polls one of the lines, and it reduced the service. Maybe it's a tall building that's blocking signal cell signal on that side of the on that side of the building.
Speaker 1: I just feel like it could be somewhere, like it's everywhere. You're going to get service everywhere now, unless you're out in the woods, like it's common for you be shocked.
Speaker 2: You'd be shocked, you know. I remember buying when I bought years ago, and I bought a house out deep in the valley and I was like, oh, this is great, it's perfect, this is perfect. And then I remember I had no cell service in that house.
Speaker 1: Get out.
Speaker 2: It's like, what the hell I had to switch? I just switched phone carriers.
Speaker 1: Well, man, you were in Tarzana. That was basically like the moon at that point.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but AT and T didn't work.
Speaker 1: That's hysterical. So they're all in there, they're all on nick sped, leaning out the window. I do remember having to lean out a window at my old apartment like years so all they're just trying to like get a bar, get a bar so that they can have their phone calls. And they're like, Nook, we need to get a landline. This is important. They'll look at it. Schmid's like, what's the rope?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, the phone is sitting there, and it's just like it's just a thing to them. It's almost like which was shocking to me because this was twenty fourteen, I want to say twenty thirteen when we shot this one. It was shocking to twenty fourteen. Maybe it was shocking to me just because I was like, these they know what a landline is. I was like, why are they doing that?
Speaker 1: Like they ages down the network at that point, They're like make them look like young ones. Yeah, they don't know what I did. Love the flashback though of us.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this one people talk about a lot. I get. I get questions about this a lot, and people send me different memes and gifts of this particular moment where Winston is smooth talking some ladies into a double date tell the girl to cut her fingertails, which I thought was really funny because they pitched up our voices in that one. So if you know, like every time we flashed back to you know, young Nick and young Winston, like they pitch up our voices, and their thought was like, oh, that's interesting. But I've always said, there's a deep voice.
Speaker 1: I will say, some people have a real sexy phone voice. Some people just have that voice.
Speaker 2: Thank you, thank you for saying so.
Speaker 1: I remember that. They were always like they were so good on the radio.
Speaker 2: Did girls like that?
Speaker 1: If it spoke to you like that way, then yeah. There were some people I remember listening to the radio and you were just like, we have a crush on this person I've never seen, but just their voice is smooth.
Speaker 2: I was like, cheesy as hell. Yes, all right, ladies, ooh that does it for me? Like really, I guess it's better than hi, ladies, I guess it's better.
Speaker 1: Than that, A little bit better than that. You can then just take. But then you're imagining what they look like like, what they are like as a person. So you're you're extrapolating a lot just from the voice.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, but if you like, look at David Beckham, he's not gonna look like how he sounds high pitch choice, you know what I'm saying. So if you heard, if you heard David Beckham on the radio, you might miss out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you could count him out. You're a loss.
Speaker 2: This is your loss, is your loss.
Speaker 1: So then we uh we come back, and Schmid is saying he needs to go study for Businessman, not Businessman magazine, but businessman this man.
Speaker 2: Yep. It's like jay Z's lying, I'm a I'm not a businessman. I'm a business man.
Speaker 1: And when he's busy, and all of a sudden, you just see like Nick is like upset because he can't just hang out and drink all day with his boys and he's missing the bonding and knowing what's going on in their life and all the hot goss and uh, he's home alone.
Speaker 2: And then he's home alone brings Yeah. The school nurse calls the landline. Turns out that she's sleeping with Coach right now in her office, just the newly appointed VP. She makes Coach, she makes Coach and the school nurse sign some papers in regard to their relationship.
Speaker 1: Between coach and the nurse. Is so funny. And then Zoe at the end is like, it looks like you're wearing like something costume from Halloween Town and she's like, yeah, yeah, buy it.
Speaker 2: It's a media and they're.
Speaker 1: Both so happy about it. Oh man, the greatest.
Speaker 2: Yeah, having a work in a work situation is crazy. I'm sure it happens all the time at schools. When you're a kid, you never really you always wonder, but you never really know if it's going on.
Speaker 1: It's a second place. You get all these young people, they're caring their hearts in the right place, all these teachers. I'm sure things happen.
Speaker 2: What that's a terrible explanation of why school is a great place.
Speaker 1: I'm just saying, if you're a single person at a school working and there's other single teachers, I don't know why it's like so bad. Why that's so bad to date?
Speaker 2: I don't know, because you're trying to set an example for these kids.
Speaker 1: Well I was saying you have to like flaunt it. But if you're grown adults after school hours and you wanted to date, it seemed terrible to me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I guess you're right.
Speaker 1: I guess you got to have a love like where you supposed to meet somebody. You want your teacher going to the bar after work to try to meet somebody. Okay, So the nurse is all confused and she's like, so what should we put down for like our relationship status? You put like a calamari on my finger, like a ring. So I'm assuming girlfriend. And then Rose comes barging in and she's like, Ernie, last night was amazingly. She kills it. She's so funny. And then the women start fighting because Jess has blown up coaches spot.
Speaker 2: Yes, oh yes, yeah. It turns out Coach is quite he's quite the attraction there at the school.
Speaker 1: I love it when later in the episode he's like, I figured out who I am, Like, I figured out who I am in the school.
Speaker 2: I'm the guy that everybody I was like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I get for you. You you started that. Okay, So now we are back with Nick, who's alone. He's just dudeling just and the phone rings. That's a call for Schmidt, and then the phone rings again as a call for Winnie, and then all of a sudden, he's got a purpose that connects him to his friends and his friend's lives and he's good at it.
Speaker 2: HM, that's right.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: Nick asked Winston about Judy in particularly, who is this Judy person?
Speaker 1: Yeah, because then Winnie and Schmidt come back and he presents them with their alphabetized message messages.
Speaker 2: That's right, which is very strange for Nick, but it feels like he did find his purpose in this one. Which was like, I'm going to be the secretary.
Speaker 1: The only thing that was shocking about it is that he knew the alphabet. That was shocking the only part that was shocking that he alphabetized it. I believe he took the messages and he would enjoy like hot GOSSP. But when he alphabetized it, I was like, man, you know, Jess really rubbed off on him in the relationship. That's a very just thing to do that.
Speaker 2: Man knows ACB's.
Speaker 1: Andy.
Speaker 2: And I'm like, why didn't you just why are they all? Why are they all on different types of How many different types of sticky notes do they have?
Speaker 1: But I think it is I just bought little almost like recipe cards Q card things, and they usually do come in a multicolored path.
Speaker 2: No, this was beyond multicolor. This was like different shapes, different sizes. I'm like, he could have just grabbed one singular notebook and just wrote it all down on one note, but you know, nobody did not do that, and that's fine. This is television. Now we're now Judy. You know it's a girl that Winston met at the driving range. It's like, I don't know you were golfing. He's like, no, I just go to watch.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that sounds like me.
Speaker 2: You go to driving range to watch?
Speaker 1: Yeah, No, I wouldn't mind if, like I would go with somebody who wanted to golf. I don't like to golf, but if they're like, do you want to just hang out? Ship? I love watching sports and sporty things. You can bring me to anything where people are doing sports are sporty things. I mean, golfing is a really fun one to tag along because you often get to go on a cart and you get to just like drive around. That's kind yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but like the driving range is literally just one person hitting the ball over and over.
Speaker 1: Yeah, would you like chat? I've been to the driving range of something before and I just like hang out and you didn't swing a.
Speaker 2: Club at all.
Speaker 1: Oh, I'm a good hang I don't know what to tell you.
Speaker 2: I'm not sure if you know this about me, But I am a sponsored golf pro.
Speaker 1: Arnold.
Speaker 2: Is that you I am?
Speaker 1: What is that?
Speaker 2: It's a golf brand? Is it really Larson's Extreme Golf? You know they they they're looking after your boy, now after your boy. Yeah, I'm about to. I'm about to. I'm straight up, straight up and down.
Speaker 1: You're gonna get to wear the green coat.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And I mean, listen, if I keep playing my cards right, I might. You know, I might get a grand slam in this thing. You know what I'm saying when all the majors, You know, I might.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you have a you have a very serena vibe right now.
Speaker 2: I might. I'm powerful, you know what I mean. And I was just the other day. I was out there hitting some uh, hitting some balls and crushed one of the balls so hard and exploded and then injured injured the bird. Okay, bird survived, bird survived. Felt if I might have felt that way to the bird, but the bird survive. I nursed it back to health milk I fed at milk from from my person. Sure, and uh, it's it's like it's out there thriving right now.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm here for is the representation of you being the first male lactating golf pro.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't say first. There are others before me that paved the way, for sure, but I just learned from their lead. You know what I mean. I can't take credit for yeah, yeah, yeah, I can't. Yeah no, yeah, When.
Speaker 1: We discussed it. We say it a loud speaking of important the Julian Morris is the guest star on the episode. Yes, incredibly, just lovely to watch.
Speaker 2: He's great, He's so.
Speaker 1: Great, He's so talented, and you can tell. It's so funny. Some people when they're on camera, they just have that thing, whatever that magic thing is, and you just believe every expression on their face. He just has that thing, and he's so lovely anyway. So here is a Jess kind of giving it to coach, being like, you can't be sleeping with all these people and it's it's wrong and you're trouble and there there's all these forms and we have to and then Principal Foster introduces her to the new British teacher.
Speaker 2: And goes in, you.
Speaker 1: I can't goes in. Me goes in. Jess goes in, It goes in, and she can't handle it. And she's now all of a sudden, very much like in the micro episode where she was just like, I know I'm not shallow, and in this one she's like, I know where the boundaries are in my workplace. She is now being tested in the most horrifying way. In last week's episode, it was with the absolute worst dude and now it's the absolute best dude.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, oh yeah. Brian goes in you, Ryan goes in you. I love it. First when he's when he's introducing him, he's like, and he sounds a little what he say, he sounds a little different. He goes, uh, go ahead, say something to her, and he's speaking loud to him as he's from a different planet.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: It's so amazing thing to me. If someone speaks multiple languages and usually the other person can only speak English, right, and they're just like, so your country, how and they forget to speak English and like say the whole thing, Just say like speak country, just like say that, just say the whole Why are you speaking like you don't speak English?
Speaker 2: English?
Speaker 1: You think when that person speaks like five languages, have languages.
Speaker 2: Yes, you're the slow one, You the slow one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, all right, we're gonna go to break and we come back. We're gonna be in the three way call.
Speaker 2: That's right, that's right, which is so silly.
Speaker 1: It's very silly.
Speaker 2: And son Nick three way calls Winston Schmidt uh and he gives them their midday messages, which is so silly. I like his rundown of it. Nick called Judy told her Winston wasn't feeling her, so he sent. He also sent the magazine a picture of Schmidt against his will. He just picked a random picture.
Speaker 1: He picked the most recent one on the stone for accuracy. He thought that was the best branding move, which is just him like yelling at him on the couch.
Speaker 2: Yeah, have a very weird looking position. Yeah, kind of blurry photo as well. Yeah. And then they you know, they hang the phone up, and then Winston. Then Schmid calls Winston and I don't know where this came from or how this. I remember shooting it, and it's funny how they put it together. But it's literally just us going and yo, yo you And and then I just love when Winstay goes, wait, who's this?
Speaker 1: It's like Schmidt, But haven't you ever done that with like a friend? I for sure have done that with Wendy on a call where I'm like yo, she's.
Speaker 2: Like yo, yeah back in the day, for sure.
Speaker 1: Yo, And she's like yo, And it's just very weird. You just kind of do it because now you're kind of both like laughing at your own little weird thing. And then finally when you run out of all your hay and you're like, als, what you're doing A real friendship moment man Robert Zell and Trent letting that moment breathe and.
Speaker 2: It worked out.
Speaker 1: Just shut it down.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah. The meeting, they're in the teachers meeting about relationships, and uh, I.
Speaker 4: Love no, you know, her whole her whole demonstration is you know, if you ever get into a situation with someone, you have to they if they get close to you and you don't feel comfortable, just say, shut it down, you know, shut it her up.
Speaker 2: They come back down, shut it down. And Coach is obviously trolling here at this point. Yeah, Coach is like he because he knows, he knows she feels some type of way about Ryan. And and this is also for the betterment of everybody else who clearly they want to be They want to you know, they're like, what do you call a principal foster? Call him hose. He's like, they want to they want to do it. So he asks for a visual of this.
Speaker 1: I'm a visual learner.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and so she tries to get close to do it. She tries to get close to do it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, She's like, fine, how much get up here, and he's like, no, I get the new guy. And what's so sweet about how Julian La portrays this is he he always plays everything like in knowledge, so like it's not like, oh, I guess I'll go up there and it's gonna be fine. You see him like already looking at Jess being like, I know you don't like I know what they're doing, and I don't want to put you in that position. And so he kind of goes up there and he's just trying to like make this painless for her. He's already obviously you know, the attraction is mutual, and so he's just trying to like like I'm on your team too.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And then she talks through the example and then Coach is like, no, no, I need to, like you guys have to act it out. I really have to see it. And then he gives her a little massage. Mister goes in you oh boy, and she forgets where she is and what she's doing.
Speaker 2: Oh well, right before that, right before that, yeah, right before that. Back at the loft, Schmid is trying to have you re record the voicemail.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, this scene.
Speaker 2: And you're just saying it in the most played boring voice. He he can't you try to turn on the nations.
Speaker 1: I will say, man, shout out to our writers. They really did make me feel good about myself because they really did. As opposed to last episode where they called you a six and a half, they were really selling me as a hard ten every single episode and I don't think I'm a hard ten. And it was a very sweet moment. And the way there's nothing more that I love than someone being like, like like yelling and mad because they're so into you, Like I think it's so funny. It's a funny, funny thing. And the way Max always played it like he was so angry she couldn't just say it not sexy. But it's really his lens of that everything she does is just the hottest thing and he just can't take it.
Speaker 2: My favorite is what he makes a comment later on. He goes, when the act we will get there, but it's just funny. It's when the voicemail goes out with breaks, when he's like, well, you probably because you listen to CC's voice a million times, and he goes, yeah, then I touch my pen.
Speaker 1: Yeah now again, once again, why are we saying the choir parts out loud? It's so funny the freedom these friends have in the loft. I was like, okay, wow, we didn't need to say it. I also love that the CC character just is like so unfazed, like she knows, she knows, and she knows he's the guy to say it out loud too.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Now, back at the school meeting, coach keeps on antagonizing Jess. Yeah, and this demonstration he's trying to see, and then it leads to Ryan, like you said earlier, rubbing just his shulders because she looks tense, because he goes, oh you look tense, and he starts rubbing her shoulders. And then when she goes to shut it down, she can't. She's actually she's actually like, yeah, it's a little lower, Yeah, just like that. And then when she goes to shut it down, she actually touches his.
Speaker 1: Yes, she does an accidental bank and she is mortified because now she's just touched somebody. This is the whole thing. She's now done this, and then she goes to show what she was trying to do and then does.
Speaker 2: It again again.
Speaker 1: Literal nightmare if that ever happened to me, I would.
Speaker 2: Move Yeah, Oh are you kidding me? Not back at the loft now the answering machine is not working.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So Nick was pretty hurt because he was like loving his job as being a secretary, loving being there for his friends. It gets revealed that he even bought himself a secretary and he was like, look, the computer is going to take over and all the robots are going to take over, and you're gonna miss me. And then guess what. The answering machine is on the fritz and it's not working. And when he's like, don't say anything, Nick, Yes, then we have the beautiful hysterical pen moment that Schmidt says about CC that Schmid is the one who broke the answering machine.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And then when Nick comes Nick comes in, he comes back into the living room and Schmidt asked him if the magazine's.
Speaker 1: Called yeah, is check the machine?
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh. Now Nick jokingly tells whence that the magazine did call? This is so crazy because this is a multiple episodes where Nick is kind of sabotaged just with his job.
Speaker 1: It is still employed with Nick around is crazy because it feels like he's trying to sabotage that man.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and he's like, he's like, they did call, and they do want to do the interview with Schmidt today. And you know, Schmid had already left. Was he's trying to get the damn you know, recorder or the yeah, whatever you call it, the answering machine fixed. So he's gone, and Winston asked him. He goes, why didn't why did he say anything this interview? Man, it's very important to Schmidt. And Winston asked Nick, like, hey man, there's something bigger going on here, So what's really going on? And he says he just you know, he just misses them, you know, and then answering the phone makes him feel connected to him and Schmidt actually, I mean in Winston actually understands.
Speaker 1: Yeah. It's a very sweet, like emotionally mature moment between both of them.
Speaker 3: M M.
Speaker 1: That felt very shocking. Yeah, oh, in the phone.
Speaker 2: Rings, that's right, it's the magazine. Yeah, and they want to do the interview right now. Nick tells Winston that he has to do it. He's magical on the phone. So Winston grabs the phone. He tells Nick he needs a soda and a straw and he also needs to get horizontal.
Speaker 1: I will say this as the owner of that cow mm hmm. I saw you like get up and with your shoes on it, and it didn't shit right with me. I got grossed up on my couch.
Speaker 2: Now, a lot more happened on that couch than you.
Speaker 1: Probably I know, I know, but I don't have to see it. And it was really weird that in my body. The first thing was like, get your shoes off my.
Speaker 2: Couch, Hannah. Can I you know how many times we stood on that couch playing true American.
Speaker 1: I know, I know, I know. I'm just saying what it was.
Speaker 2: But when I get it, when I do it, it's like, oh, he can't stop.
Speaker 1: On it because I know you were raised better, that's all.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I can, I can. I can guarantee you. When the crew was breaking down the set, some crew members were sleeping with each other. And I guarantee you they slept with each other on that couch.
Speaker 1: Crew members were sleeping with each other. No, yeah, you know what I do think about those because I know a lot of people did take naps on the couch. Like for the billions of years we had that couch. And here's what I really do think it does gross me about the couch a lot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but it's leather, so it bounced off.
Speaker 1: But I don't like it.
Speaker 2: Just squeeze that. You can know if you just push the cushion down and the air comes out and it smells like ERDs.
Speaker 1: I will say, Man winning on the phone was very smooth and actually sells the deal way better than Schmidt ever could do, even Schmidt what it stands for.
Speaker 2: Yeah, some can have money. I desire thoughtfulness.
Speaker 1: I mean amazing and then watching like Max and Jake high five in the background because they're so happy. It's amazing.
Speaker 2: Yep, yep, yep, yep, yep. There's been multiple episodes where Winston proves himself on the phone, which is hilarious. Certain, but when the writers come up with this stuff, it's like, it's it's funny. It's very creative. It's very funny to get to add that there's this is to get to get so much mileage out of oh, this person's good on the phone, like that very basic thought, and you get multiple episodes of hilarity out of it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, now we're going to wrap the episode up because Jess walks into coaches room. She's a sorry, she realizes now that it's sometimes hard to control your feelings. And then he apologizes she's repealed the policy. How convenient, but she's repealed the policy. And then Ruth pops up from under the covers hot under there? Can I tell you what I thought was gonna happen? I don't know if you thought this was going to happen too, because the scene was going on really long for a new girl scene. It just seemed like really long. They were talking justin coach, and then finally Ruth pops up, and then I thought, what was going to happen is you were going to see Rose pop up?
Speaker 2: Me too?
Speaker 1: I thought that was going to happen. I was like, oh man, Ernie.
Speaker 2: Missed opportunity. I thought that was going to happen too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, That's what I was like, all right. The next day at school, Princeville, Foster says he's tried to corral these animals, but teachers are just straight up hoes.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, And then he tells Jess that, you know, the two administrators like themselves could hook up, but he's not attracted to her. Only Asians.
Speaker 1: She said the faster again.
Speaker 2: Why oh uh, now you know Schmidt, the bad boy of marketing. It's officially out. And then at the end, outside you hear a boombox screaming for Winston, which I've heard before, screaming for La morn right outside my door. I'm to show up a boombox as often and you know that's Judy. That is Judy.
Speaker 1: Another ever made a female pick for Winston?
Speaker 2: Yes, oh my gosh. Yeah, let's let's go to a quick commercial recor when we come back.
Speaker 3: I just want to I do want to mess around a little bit and we I'm back again.
Speaker 2: Uh babe. Yeah, what's the craziest in office secret relationship story you've heard or had?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Have you had? Have you dated a co worker?
Speaker 2: I have me too? I have Again?
Speaker 1: Where are you supposed to meet people?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 1: I know right now, like online dating is like a big thing, but like back in the day, it kind of wasn't, And so you met people where you met them. And of course you're going to meet someone at work because often your boss sucks and work can be hard, and that's how like you bond and connect and it's the person you're spending time with. Yeah, I think that there's like there's this big rule around it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is strange. It is strange, I think just because of work productivity of what happens when you don't work together anymore.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but then they're just going to do it in secret. They're not going to not do it to people know what I mean to each other.
Speaker 2: Well, here's what I mean. Here's what I mean if you break up and the issues that it causes at work, especially if you work in the same department, Like if your two cast mates and you're doing it and you break up, you're going to notice that there is some sort of weird energy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but there's no rule around that on an acting set, and like right, it's like not a traditional workplace, and so people do date on sets because it wasn't there. Like the craziest story, I don't know it, but I just know it's a crazy story with like Dexter. Was he like with his wife and his girlfriend and it was a whole it is a regulation in Dexter, and it got very messy for everybody in the crew. I think that's true. I think that was the craziest one I ever heard on And there was like multiple articles because he had to continue working and the women had to continue working there. Yeah, and it was like very challenging.
Speaker 2: I could imagine. Yeah, that's one thing that I don't I wouldn't date a as an actor. I wouldn't date a coworker in a project that I was working on. Now, if it had ended and you guys had a thing, then I could see it, you know, if you if you pursued it after the fact. But I couldn't do it. I couldn't do it while we were working. It's too you never know what scenarios the writers are going to write. You never know what scenarios are going to put you in, and you never know how your partner's going to react. Like if if you're you're a couple, and then they constantly have you dating these other women that come on the show, yeah, you know, for storyline purposes. You never know how people react to that. Every weekend, I'm like making out with some different women, Like, you might feel some type of way about that, even though we know it's pretend. Yeah, and I might feel some type of way if every episode she's like doing sex scenes with somebody else, that's right, I'm like, that's weird.
Speaker 1: And the acting workplace it is a wild thing, but it's also hard, I would assume, because if you're like, have real chemistry with somebody and you're both single and like, oh yeah, stuff can happen. But I had, like write, office romance was just like in a normal job. It wasn't that exciting.
Speaker 2: In Cyprus, it was very, very chill.
Speaker 1: I think I've actually had several and they were all like because again, where else were you going to meet somebody? Yeah, but there was no like consequence to it. There was like boss being like I've heard.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there was no consequence to mine because it wasn't. We didn't. We didn't make it a thing, make it crazy, right like, it didn't and we were and we were in two completely different departments.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think it's normal people say they met at work. I don't know. The teaching thing, it does feel weird to me. Teachers. I'll say this again, I do want to hear if you have met your partner at work, was there any consequence to it? Like? It seems so strange to me. I'm here for teaching.
Speaker 2: Love that. What's that show with something? Remember? What was it called May December? What's that about?
Speaker 1: I don't know you watched these romantic movies. I don't watch romantic movies.
Speaker 2: I didn't watch this one yet, but I should. I should. I should. Got Corey Michael Smith and he is a fantastic actor. I gotta check that out. Anyway.
Speaker 1: Oh, I know which one you were talking about. I read about it. I didn't watch it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, in May December. It's about a teacher about teacher. Uh why am I great actresses? Yeah?
Speaker 1: No, super famous persons.
Speaker 2: Their names. Yeah, I'm dropping their names for some reason. But uh anyway, Yeah, did she put.
Speaker 1: In the chat no May December? Julianne Moore and Charles Milton and Natalie Portman. Yeah, just like a murderer's row of actors, just like I was gorgeous talented.
Speaker 2: I just know Corey Michael Smith said it because I just worked with him on Saturday Night. He's on that movie.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was a big movie.
Speaker 2: I remember that so anyway he uh oh yeah yeah with Dexter. He they did the woman who played his sister. I remember that. But I didn't know he was married when he did it.
Speaker 1: There was something I don't know. I got to read up on it. I'm so sorry Dexter. People have I got that wrong, but I heard that there was some real drama put allegations. I know. I'm so sorry, so sorry to get back. Okay, So our next question is should we go back to landlines? Do you may recording your first voicemail?
Speaker 2: I think landlines are cool because you know the surface is going to be fine. Yeah, you know, everybody should have one because you know when service is an issue, like if I'm at home, yeah, I'll call from the landline just to make sure we're clear, just to make sure we're good to go and locked in. I remember, I don't remember it recording my Actually I do, I do, but mine was a silly one, and I'm drawing a blank on what exactly it was. But it was one of those like it was one of those like I'll act like we're having a conversation and then go, I'm just kidding. Leave a message.
Speaker 1: Everybody did that message where it was like, yeah, you went like this, hello, yeah, hey, I'm actually not here man, and that person.
Speaker 2: Is yeah, you deep your message like that.
Speaker 1: That was so funny. Yeah, it was fun to leave your own voice message. And now you don't even do it on your iPhone. It's so funny. Nobody like leaves a message really like records one anymore, you just kind of like whatever.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what I used to do was record a song. I used to record a song too. I used to have some like music playing and then I would come in. Yeah the morning here right now. Yeah you just hear like some like jo toicy in the background. Yeah, that's how I used to do it.
Speaker 1: I remember. Here's what I will say about I remember my first landline. I used to live in Saudi Arabia and I remember my first landline and I think the phone number was like six numbers long, like it was like so short and soud because they didn't have like a ton of phone and so it was like the shortest phone number in the world. And I remember feeling really practiced little. I was like seven years old, and I was like, oh, I know my phone number, and now I respect I'm like, yeah, of course you did. It was like literally two numbers.
Speaker 2: I hope you remember that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I hope you remembered six numbers in a row at age six. Yeah, way back in the day. Man, here's what I will say. When I lived in the hills and I had to get the landline because she told me there's no service up in that house, and I got the landline. It was annoying because that phone would just ring. Spam people get landline numbers, and so at night. What the crazy thing was, I'd have to unplug the phone phone because you can't just be like I'm going to put you on silent. That doesn't increase. So I have to unplug the phone, and then you have to remember to plug in the phone. And I was like, this is ridiculous. I need bout two dollars back.
Speaker 2: I know, because it does keep you up. I had the same thing recently, because you know, depending on the I think it was Spectrum. When you get Spectrum cable service, you know, they make you get the whole package of the internet phone whatever. It's cheaper if you get the phone included. And I get the phone included, and I had a little landline phone that just I never used, but it would ring all the time.
Speaker 1: Yes, it rings all the time.
Speaker 2: Who's calling it?
Speaker 1: No one has this number except Spectrum.
Speaker 2: The same thing had it unplugged.
Speaker 1: That's right, That's what I'm trying to say. The joke of it is you can get the landline, but then it's actually somehow more annoying and then you just unplug it and now you just got this relic.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they just want to go to your house.
Speaker 1: They just need that two dollars man.
Speaker 2: Making millions that way for everybody to give you two bucks.
Speaker 1: All right, y'all, that was a landline. If you like this merch you can barely see because of my hair. It's so cute though. My cosiest sweater in the world. You can head to the messround pod dot com buy for yourself a loved one good birthday gift. For all those diehard New Girl fans. You can follow us at the mess Around Pod on ig and send in your office romance stories. I want to know and I want to know if there's consequences, because that feels crazy to me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I think that there's a lot of people. The consequences are high for some people because you lose your job, you mess around, sleep with the wrong Let's say you're in the mob and that's your job and you sleep with the head of the mob's wife. Yeah, that's all office romance. You lose your you lose your legs.
Speaker 1: For that's it. That's it. Are real consequences.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh my god. All right, anyway, Love you guys as always. Hmmm, stay safe out there.
Speaker 1: That was the mess around. In iHeartMedia production, Our.
Speaker 2: Executive producer is Joel Monique. Our senior producer is Abu Zafar Bei Wang provided engineering and editing services.
Speaker 1: Additional production from Daniel Goodman, Wendy Heisler, and Kyle Shevron. Our theme song was written and composed by Ronald Jukebox Jackson.
Speaker 2: Catch you next time. Bye,