Speaker 1: Loud and Quiet Presents Midnight Chats.
Speaker 2: Good evening and thanks for streaming or downloading this new episode of Midnight Chats. It's a dark, damp, bitterly cold, thoroughly miserable January night here in London. As I introduce you to tonight's guest on the podcast. Before I do that, thank you to all of you that tuned in and listened to Craig David on our first episode of twenty eighteen. I'm pleased to report that Stewart has gone out and bought some new Rebot classics and booked his flight to spend the summer in Ibetha with Craig. So I'm glad that that's got a happy ending. Check out that conversation wherever you're listening to this right now if you haven't listened already, and do subscribe whilst you're there. It sounds like Craig has got a very exciting life, and my guest on Midnight Chats this time has just come off the back of a very exciting week a very exciting weekend to be honest. Last Sunday I was pretty thrilled to get through three loads of dirty washing. That felt good, That was the highlight of my weekend. But my guest scored a top forty position in the UK charts with his band's debut album. Right now, as I look, Songs of Praise is nestled between David Bowie and Stormsy up there, so excited he should be. He is Charlie Steen, the twenty year old frontman of South London band Shame. They're the group you've probably heard about that are here to save British guitar music, or at the very least to make it a bit more exciting. That's what people have been saying about them anyway. Their success certainly isn't an overnight thing. Some of Shane met when they were just eight years old and they went to school together classmates, and the band formed primarily when they're in their mid teens around a pub called the Queen's Head in South London, where some of their first shows took place at three am and they got up and still made it to the geography class or whatever it was the next day on time. They are an amazing live band and the five of them played an exhausting amount of shows in twenty seventeen, roughly one hundred and fifty and the damaging effects of that. Charlie goes into in detail in the chat that you were about to hear. Now, Charlie came to our offices just a couple of days ago, knocked back a couple of strong coffees and smoked a couple of rollies before recording this. I certainly caught up with him in a memorable moment, because, as older artists will tell you, you only ever get the chance to experience the feeling of releasing your debut album once in your career, and Shame, by the sounds of it, have been enjoying every second of that, and so they should do. Just finally, as I sit here with the news channel on my TV scrolling silently in the background, the death of one of music's great mavericks, one of the great antagonists and unapologetic innovators, Markie Smith from The Fall. His death was announced just a few hours ago, So tonight I'll pour a drink for Mark. That seems apt. As one uncompromising band exits the world in music, hopefully it's just the start for another. So enjoy this. This is Charlie Steen from Shame on Midnight Chats. Charlie, welcome to Midnight Chats.
Speaker 3: Thank you very much for having me.
Speaker 2: Hopefully you're joining us at what will be a memorable period for Shame, because last week, just a few days ago in fact, you released your debut album, Songs of Praise YEP. So what was that week actually?
Speaker 3: Like, I think we were all like super fucking surprised at the reaction that we got, and it was sort of, you know, like above and beyond what we could have expected. You know, we've said this before, and we always want to have this underlying humor to the band and sort of the image and when we're on stage, and just the fact that we charted in the top forty was just so sort of funny and surreal to us, you know, especially you know, three years ago, we would have been upstairs at the Queen's Head to sort of like where we are now. I wasn't really nervous about putting out the album, and I don't think many of the people in the band were either, because it's it's been such a strange period of time leading up to it, and we've had these songs for what seems like a while, and you know, the last year played like one hundred and fifty gigs and forty seven festivals in three months, and they've been just playing these songs over and over. But it's just nice to have like it's I think the most satisfying thing is to just have like a piece of work just out there available to the public. And it does feel like quite exposed. You know, you do feel quite exposed, But then again, you know that means you're probably doing something right.
Speaker 2: So if you do look at the UK Top forty chart at the moment in between David Bowie and Stormzy his songs of praise, just why do you why does that feel so surreal? Just because you never anticipated that something like that would happen. You never thought you'd be in a band that would reach those you know.
Speaker 3: No, I think when we started we weren't, you know, we were very much like a natural band. We were never manufactured where we sort of sat down and decided what image we wanted to project, what music we wanted to make, and we've only ever sort of taking it kind of like one step at a time, with the exception probably being that we've always wanted to do bricks and academy. That's sort of like the dream of the band, But we just never you know, it never sort of really crossed our mind. I can't say why, Like probably just because of what popular music is at the moment and the sort of like state this in we just thought it wouldn't have been achieved. But it's weird that it's happened, and it just sort of like felt really surreal and it was a good night. But that whole week, I mean, you know, like it was just one abnormality after the other, like when we got on the front page of the Guardian and like, you know, all these different things happened, and the response has just been amazing as well.
Speaker 2: So is it hard not to get carried away with that stuff? Or do you You already mentioned that you'd maybe take it with a pinch of salt.
Speaker 3: I mean, yeah, I think we always try and walk the tightrope between like degrading ourselves and praising ourselves, and you know, we don't want to lean too far to either side. We just want to kind of keep it in the middle. But yeah, very much. I think I think the most important thing is being being in a band. For anyone, you can sort of get so wrapped up in your own wall and the world and just sort of be like, you know, staring at the painting too close, and it's important to sort of like take a step back and just sort of like, you know, seeing our mates who just sort of like do not you know, like you know, have jobs or go to UNI or whatever. It makes you feel a bit more like human and realizes that, you know, what you're doing is very much its own little world.
Speaker 2: Do you think it would be easy to get carried away with that stuff?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I can see, you know kind of. I think, you know, I think this period of like you know, at the moment of being in a band is so maybe unlike unlike anything before, just probably because of like you know, money in terms of like record sales and stuff, like to be in the top forty now you only need to sell a few thousand records, whereas in twenty years ago you'd sell a few you know, you'd sell tens of thousands of records or one hundred thousand records in a week. And I think that's changed. You know, I said it before, I've said it before in an interview, but that isn't this like preconceived image of like a rock star lifestyle anymore. You know, we're not being driven around No, people aren't getting in limos and lights, staying in five star hotels less of like the Arctic monkeys or food fires or whatever. So I think it's I think that's good because you're sort of so close to reality at the same time, and I think that's the most important thing.
Speaker 2: Did you celebrate when the result came in? Then when you did make it into the top forty, did you allow yourself a moment just to sort of be like, yeah, that was an achievement.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we did, But that was also the day, the day that news came in, was it had been a whole week since our album came out. I mean, we basically celebrated every single day that week, but that yeah, that Friday was like the heaviest we sort of got and it got pretty messy, but yeah, it's a great I mean, we got kicked out of the Spoons that night because we turned up at the Crown and Steps, which is on Brixton Hill, and we thought it would be funny to like post on our Instagram story that you know, like our table number and the Spoons were in and see if anyone. So this guy comes over with like he comes over, what do you come over? With first a pot of peas, and then he came back over with a Friday Egg and he's all right, listen, mates, I don't know what the fuck you think you're doing, but this isn't funny. And we were like what and he was like, I've got fifteen orders to roch a sauce, four pints of milk, and like three bud light and seven more pots of tea and this has all happened in four minutes. He was like, I'm gonna bring you beers, but that's it. And then he brought us like a bud Light or something like that, and he was like, I've just had twenty more orders through for milk, and he was like, get the fuck out of the pub, and we were just kind of, you know, we were already pretty fucked and we were like, you know, just couldn't be wanted to argue and probably being a bit unfair. On that guy's Friday night.
Speaker 2: We had Wesley Gonzerliz to the podcast for and he did something similar on his birthday where he posted his table number in the Wetherspoons and you can go on their app and order.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, that's wherever you are in the world.
Speaker 2: So he was saying that it would be like a tray full of shots of whiskey or something. We turned up and it'd be like, oh, Tony and Chili's just brought you. Yeah. Yeah, it might even have been the same weather since, but he definitely left the night worse the way you said.
Speaker 3: We didn't even get that far. I don't think the people who are ordering it were like generous enough to give us shots of whiskey. It was all just you know, we literally had five minutes of it and there was like forty orders for all of these different things. Yeah, only one of the fried eggs, milk peas, sa sauce, only one of them was a pint and it was bud Light, And so we just had to leave, like and just like delete it off our story.
Speaker 2: People have obviously heard the album now, but in the run up to it, there were a lot of really positive reviews, like I haven't seen a debut album review like that for quite a while. What does that feel like? Basically does that kind of give you like a feel good factor?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I mean I'm not going to say that, you know, I think we'd be lying to ourselves, and like'sly to myself if we sort of like dismissed all of that and sort of you know, like didn't didn't take it into consideration because it was you know, as much as you know you can say what you want about critics, it is sort of a feeling of confirmation for someone to actually, you know, like what you've created and it is all well and good to say, you know, whatever I've done, I don't care because I'm happy with it. But you know, if everyone's saying your album's shit, it's probably gonna get you down a bit. But no, I mean, it was just I mean, that was happening in sort of like the weeks the week's like the week or weeks leading up to the album coming out, and it was just fucking weird. I mean. We also we got a grant fifty grand, which we didn't have to pay back, so we were able to put up like billboards and Chube posters and like all the central stations like Waterloo and stuff like that. I think that was fucking weird because it's.
Speaker 2: Sort of like you know, seeing your face and the tube.
Speaker 3: I think, yeah, I think it's just like the confirmation that you know, because we you know, we work so fucking hard. Like, and yes, there are a lot of factors of luck. And I'm not saying that we're the only band who works as hard as we do, because there are certainly others who do just as do just as much work. But it was nice to just sort of see it like finally paying off, like after years and years of doing like you know, all the slogs and all the fucking shitty gigs.
Speaker 2: And I think also four out of five features I've read about Shame in the last three or four months have described you as Britain's most citing new guitar band. Yeah, does that sit well with you?
Speaker 3: Well? I mean, you know that's temporary, isn't it. That's gonna be the nextperience of new guitar band or like Tomorrow's they Paper or whatever, like I think, yeah, I mean, I think I think the thing that's the most funny about that is like some of the comments being like this is an original, like this has been done before, and you know you're kind of reading it like obviously, Like you know, we always say that our music is like derivative, and we know it's not original. We know we're not sparking a new fucking genre of music. That for some reason nobody else has been capable of doing for the past thousands of years. So, like I think the difference is is like at the moment, all the music you could argue in this sort of like incestuous London scene at the moment, or you know, further out across America and UK and European Europe. It's so like unique in how derivative it is because it's so influenced by we have such a large amount of like background of music to draw from and you know, loads of other things and you know, sort of shape it into what it is at the moment. And for you know, for all this type of music we can you know, being this age that I'm twenty, Like I can listen to the Stooges, I can listen to Bowie, but I'll never live through it like ever. And so you know, for us to be able to go to gigs and experience like a simile similar level of like passion and like you know, heightened adrenaline is you know, it feels new to us. Like you know, I remember seeing I remember seeing Fat White Family for the first time when I was fifteen, and I was just like a stone of kid I was actually just walking through to leave, like because I went there to see King Crawl at the Queen's Head and it was just like, you don't you almost don't think that music like that can exist anymore because of how sort of like driven out it is. But that's why it's so interesting, you know, it's fascinating, you know, the psychology behind nobody who starts a guitar band depending on their ego. I don't think, certainly for us sort of imagined like financial stability or like success or all of the things that came along with the image of like the seventies. But you still do it because you know, you're driven by passion and by interest and and that sort of like speaks for itself. Like there are a lot of bands we know who do like amazing music and still have like a Saturday job and stuff like that, like you know, weekend job and still work and still struggle to pay the rent. And for that for that reason, it's you know, it's fucking horrible. And that's sort of another subject to go into that there's no funding from like the UK for the majority of artists in comparison to Europe, and I think, you know, I think that's a major problem because like UK.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, that's fine. I think that's actually a topics like come up before though, how there's a different type of appreciation for the arts in the UK. There's not so much financial support. Benjamin Clemensine, who won the Mercury a few years ago, was on our podcast talking about how he feels that when he's performing in places like France, there's just a general there's more of a respect that goes along.
Speaker 3: It's fucking amazing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if you are creating art, then you automatically demand a certain level of respect, whereas perhaps that doesn't automatically come in the UK.
Speaker 3: I don't even think it's I don't even think it's respect anymore. It's just like it's like human rights, like you know, like I remember, there is like if you're in a band in the UK, you can never or America maybe you can never beat that moment of going and playing a European show for the first time. I remember we got well first European show. We're playing an Amsterdam London Calling Festival and we got twelve hour megabus there with all of our gear and within Amstam for eight hours before.
Speaker 2: We guitars, drum get everything on the bus.
Speaker 3: No, they had a drum kit and they had apps, but it was like guitars and like you know, pedals and stuff like that. And we had eight hours once we got there before we had to get the Mega bus back. There's also the time I had scabies as well, and I remember we were turned up to the venue and we were all, you know, like fucking knackd and sleep deprived. But and we sort of walked in and they took us to a green room and we were like, oh, you know, is there like any chance like a beer And they were like, yeah, yeah, it's in the fridge. And we were like, oh cool, so do we get like tickets or is it shared whatever? They were like no, no, that the fridge is yours. And it just sort of like you can't believe it because it's all like it's taxed in across like France and European countries. They all have a different percentage of tax that will be taken out of the band's pay and go back into funding independent venues and making sure that you know, they can get artists that they want to be there, and making sure the rider's good and that you can pay for hotels for the bands to be in and it doesn't you know, you can't understand why that hasn't happened in the UK, but you know, there might be something to be said about the fact that even though that's never happened, the UK has like undeniably had the most amazing music come out of it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, considering the size of the population, and it's British music throughout history is punched above its weight when it has to be able to rejuice innovative new artists. I think that's that's something that would be really proud of. But I do agree that you can go other places and experience something very different. The feel can be very different. You mentioned the London scene, the kind of South London scene that has been pointed towards in various press, and I'm sure you get asked about it in interviews a lot. How real and how like tangible is that? Do you know a lot of the bands does it feel like a genuine, like real community, Because often these things are scenes can be created in a press world to effectively just group like minded artists that are close together into one place. But genuine thing is that, right?
Speaker 3: The thing is about we all, like everyone involved sort of like hates that sort of like coin term of the scene or whatever, even though I can understand it from like, you know, someone's perspective. I mean, I went to I did Drama with Lotti, lead singer of Goat go At sixth form. I went to I did a Foundation in Fine Art at Camelwell with Asher singer Sorry. I think we're us in Goat Girl are the only band actually from South London, you know, like other people from North and East, like everyone is just friends. And I think the difference with other like quote unquote scenes you know in the past, is that every band in this category has their own like different unique sounds, you know, going from like happy Meal to Sorry to Goat gol and so I think the only thing that links us together is our age. You know, when we started their bands, like Childhood, the Fat White Family, like they were still like new when we were when we were young, but we weren't the same age as some when we were experiencing like different things because when we were seventeen, they were off touring, you know, like they were doing the festival circuits and stuff like that. And when we found you know, we started this night at the women are called Chimney Shitters when we were when we were like it must have been like seventeen or eighteen, and that was when we just decided to get like all of our mates down like and you know, like majority of our friends don't like I'm music. But we started meeting bands like Shark Dentists, Monk Goat Girl played like go Gogley that played our first night, our second night, and it was just it then became this thing of we've known each other, all of us. Everyone everyone doing music around sort of like the Wimmill area that's now moved to the Five Bells in New Cross, like that's where the new bands are coming, like Peeping Drexels, like everyone. Yeah, everyone's just good mates and we've kind of like grown, you know, like grown through this period together. You know. We started out playing those same nights and now everyone's like doing an album or touring or like doing the same festivals. So it's good, you know. I think the nicest thing is when you can turn up to a festival and you actually have like friends there that you know and you can like share something with them rather than like you know, with your mates, back home in London.
Speaker 2: I wanted to ask you about twenty seventeen and playing all the shows that you did, but before I do in terms of the dynamic of shame, people that don't necessarily know you are old school friends, like you know some of the guys in the band since you were eight years old. Yeah, So what was it like back in the school days? Was it a similar dynamics it is now? Is there still like the gobby one and still like the kind of like shy one and what was it like?
Speaker 3: Every everyone in the band has like very individual personalities. They we're all pretty different to each other, but it all kind of works when we're together. Like that's what important. That's you know, that's what's so important when it comes to writing our songs. I don't do any of the I don't do any of the music. I only do the lyrics. But everyone has to be in the same room at the same time writing together and sort of like you know, Sean is the one who probably brings in like the most ideas, but like you'll start off and like Sean or Eddie or Josh playing something and it always has been the same. And I think that's you know, like the strongest and weakest point of the band. How long we've known each other for it's sort of I know this might sound cheesy and like, and it might be, you know, for lack of belt, for lack of a better expression, but it kind of has gone beyond friendship now, and it's sort of like at that stage where we're just like, you know, you can say whatever you want to each other and you don't even need to speak to sort of be able to communicate. Of course, we fucking like argue, and of course they are like sometimes we're getting fist fights and stuff like that, but like that's only natural when you're on the road as much as we were last year. You know, the music industry is sort of like the like keeping mental illness alive. You know, you're just like always like sleep deprived, like always like hungry, like always drinking, like and obviously this is a choice of like immaturity. You might drink to sort of like get over it or do other things to like sort of deal with it, but you know, obviously you're gonna go a bit mental. But it always you know, we've never we've never had an argument so bad we can't resolve it, and it wouldn't be you know what. I was with Larry Love, the lead singer of the Alabama Free, the other day in the pub and he said the best line, he said, never trust a happy band.
Speaker 2: Right he was. Was he one of the wise old stages that you got to meet in the Queen's Head in South London? He was, it would be there with a sort of a wise word.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Well we always joked it. It was like he was like the great because it would be like me because it was me Lis and Larry Love in the pub and I'm like, you know, I was like first generation. Lis is second. We say Larry's fourth, which he hated. But yeah, Larr was definitely one of those people because with Adamama Free, they like the first of all their old school fucking characters. They can handle more than any you know, you think the fucking you think like bands like you know, fat Whites or whatever, like do a lot of drugs and have a lot of heavy nights, or nobody can do as much as a nobody, nobody can touch it. Like they are old school hard and fucking like musicians and workers and like they they definitely like gave a lot of insight and they were also characters. And also they've been a band for twenty years and are still playing and you have to, you know, like the amount of respect to have to anyone who still drives that passion and still works at it. And they were doing you know, like they were doing stuff like they blend in electronic music with guitar music and country music, which was quite for at that time. Like I might be speaking ill informed, but something that's quite new you and like you know, genius. But the yeah, there was definitely a load of but I'd say it was like people like Larry Love was the person we saw the most, but there was also Segs who was in the Ruts. He was the basis for the Ruts. There was me and Sean once had a night with the basis for Stiff Little Fingers okay, who we used to which was so surreal for us because we used to listen to Stiff Little Things when me and Sean were ten in his room and then we you know, we just had a night with him with the queens in the kitchen and just could sort of like chat and chat and chat. And yeah, there were there were like other characters, but yeah, it was you got a lot of insight into the dark wide world of the music industry.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, you're going into it maybe with your eyes more open than others with Yeah, how many shows Reckon you played last year?
Speaker 3: In the end, So we did forty seven festivals in three months, and I'm going to say, I mean we must have been touching like one hundred and fifty gigs including the festivals.
Speaker 2: Like, yeah, you mentioned like the preservation of your own mental health a moment ago. Yeah, how do you? I mean, where did you get to at the end twenty seventeen, presumably pretty well exhausted?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, as I was telling you earlier, I had this. I had this month going from November into December, where you know, I was in America, Canada, eight different cities in Europe like all the time, playing shows and doing constant press like this was like ten interviews a day kind of press. And then we went on tour in Germany supporting a band called Girl who were like I just have to like quickly give them credit for being like the most understanding band we could have been with. But you know, like I was saying, it's weird because it's the only job where this was you know, it's the only job where you can be sort of like crying in a corner, like pale in Germany in the darkness, and like hungry, and you've thrown up twelve times that day and a promoter comes over and like pokes you in the chest, like move monkey, like get on stage, like you know, it's kind of like what are you doing? Like so I think, you know, like I was saying towards the end of we had to we had to cut that tour to like cut that tour short because I started having panic attacks. And then I came back and I just sort of like it took me a little while to get back into you know, getting my mental health back and sort of like feeling human again. But I think it's just more. I think that was necessary to happen so that it can be prevented in the future, you know. I mean, I'd rather know more. It taught me a lot about myself as well, because, like I was saying to you, in summer, I was having a period where when We're doing all of those festivals, I'd be throwing up like from four to fourteen times in one day, and I just couldn't digest in the thing and it wasn't due to acid reflux. It was just due to like nervous exhaustion and anxiety. And so I kind of like found that out about myself and found ways to deal with it. I mean, you know, it gets to a point where we will drink a lot as a band and all sort of go out a lot, but you can't. You know, it's all well and good to sort of like have that image, but you can't do it, you know, you like, I don't know how you can do that for a year straight, like whilst you're on the road. It's fine if you can just sort of you know, like go back home and have a cup of tea and like go to bed or whatever. You know, you'd be out. You know, you go in Bristol to lock in at a pub after your gig and be up until nine in the morning and then get straight in a van and drive to leads and then sound check and then play. And that's sort of like what our tours were like for a period, for like quite a long period of time until it came to that like moment where it's like okay, you know, and especially for me, I was just like I just can't, like there's nothing I can do. I can't do the show, like I just can't like get up there. But you know, since then, like the show, you know, the shows have been doing in London and great and like it is, Yeah.
Speaker 2: What would you like to see happen with that? Because it is something that people seem to be talking more about in the music industry, like it's sort of more of an open debate that perhaps people didn't talk about in years gone by. So do you think I mean, one, obviously an important thing is to recognize what's happening to yourself. But also do you think that there should be more I don't know, understanding training from people that you know, if you're a tour manager or if you're a manager or press agent or whoever it might be that works directly with the band, just to be more aware that it can be incredibly full on and have a negative effect on the mental health.
Speaker 3: I mean, like with the team that we work with booking in just a acc and like our press at Dead Oceans, it's like, you know, they're all like amazing people. I really get on with them really well, and after sort of addressing the situation when I came back, they sort of understood, but it is kind of a thing. For them, it's just sending an email or clicking yes. But for us that's a day of traveling and a gig and sort of another night where we're not going to be home. But on that, you know, on the subject of mental health, like I was actually having I was talking about I was talking about this yesterday with my girlfriend about how at the moment it seems to be every second person you meique suffers from anxiety or suffers from depression. And it's whether or not this has always been the case and we're only starting to address it now or it generally is becoming a more increasing problem at the moment because of like you know, social media, like likes on Instagram and this whole obsession. Ever have to be this, I have to be that, So I don't know, I mean, like I remember studying Missus Dallaway by Virginia Woolf when I was when I was in a levels and that was like that talks a lot about like the stiff upper lip. It was just it set just after Second World War and because that was shell shock was when was when either England or the UK first acknowledged mental health like before that it wasn't a thing, you know, especially being this age like twenty. Like with the album, what we tried to do was like capture a moment of the three years of being from seventeen to twenty and as well as like the absurd things that we experienced through being in a band and being you know, invited into this weird world. It's just all the things that happened to you anyway when you're going through that, you know, transition into sort of like being an adult or whatever, like you know, moving out or going through relationships and dealing with like different mental health problems. But I think, like now with the new music that we're writing, I think we just want to show the sort of like a sign of like maturity because we're not that age anymore. I think when people like compare our music to sort of like first of all, like we hate the word like laddish or that sort of title, you know, we want to like dissolve any preconception of that. But we can understand completely where it comes from because we were teenage boys, so it's inevitable that that comparison is going to be made. But now, I mean, like I guess you know, there's one new light, there's one new song that we're working on, like the lyric to its human sacrifice, because that's what I felt like in that period of Germany, Like you know, you're just people are coming to watch you sort of like almost destroy yourself. You know, people are so naturally drawn to that. I mean, I am guilty of this as well. You're naturally drawn to in guitar music, you're drawn to the idea of chaos being controlled and sort of someone who looks like that on the brink and someone who, like you know, doesn't really have a place to sleep and as you know, are they going to collapse on stage while they going to do a backflip kind of thing? Like that whole thing is so provocative, and I can understand why. It's because you want to live your life with someone else. You want to we want to hear the stories of what it's like to go on a four day bender in like La, like you know, with like models and celebrities. But that's not your reality. And the reality is it's probably something that's quite damaging. There's no way it couldn't be. But I think that that issue definitely is being addressed and I think there's like there's a lot of issues. I know, like especially one person that we really like and support in the band as Princess Nokia, who addresses and like talks about load of a lot of issues that I think are important, and especially like with guitar music, it's such like a sort of certain demographic, it seems that a lot of issues might not be like talked about. And we don't want to be the spokesperson for any issues that, you know, like we don't want to speak on behalf of women because that would be unjust, but we want to show our support as I sort of think there's like a difference there, like we will always support these cases of you know, you know, for the fight for a quality. But yeah, I mean I think, yeah, I mean, getting back to the point, there is a lot of there's a lot of stuff that needs to be addressed and mental health, but that's not just for us. There's a great book if anyone listening is interested, called The Ascent of a Man by Grayson Perry, and definitely like being a guy like reading that, it's like a very important thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Okay, good recommendation. Moving on to talk about what's happening next This week is your last week in London for a little while, because you're going to get on a plane and go to Australia and then you're going to go to America. What's going to be happening there, what you're looking forward to, and what your experiences have been to either of those places been like before.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm not looking forward to a plane journey. I don't know how I want to do that. I'm just gonna have to get a load of xanax and nicotine patches.
Speaker 2: This is because you want to have a single.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah. I don't want to sound ungrateful in any way because obviously we are aware of how lucky and privileged we are to be in this position. But like, I don't know, going to Australia and that's never I've never like desired it, But I know it will just be one of those places where when I get there and sort of the realization of how far we've actually sort of like traveled and how different it probably will be, I think that'll be amazing. I don't know. Also, it's going to be like it will be the hottest thing I've ever experienced, hottest places, bad we're like, we're like British to the bone, so like we never we never tan, we never, we only burn like as a band, and it's always that situation. You know, we burn like twenty four degrees in France, so I don't know how we're going to suffer in forty six degrees in Melbourne or whatever. But I'm excited to do that, and I'm excited to also be on like a touring festival. And Australia also has some of the best fucking guitar music ever. Yeah, like ever, Like Eddy Current Suppression Ring are our band's favorite band.
Speaker 2: I love Eddie Current'spression Ring. Yeah. If you listen to this and you're thinking, I've not heard of that band, like an amazing Australian garage band, put out a bunch of records, well probably what ten years ago?
Speaker 3: They think they broke up in two thousand and.
Speaker 2: Six, Okay, so you think this is going back a little bit, but very much like I mean, they were obviously informed by lots of great Australian guitar bands before that, but they've been quite influentially in a very quiet way.
Speaker 3: I think, Oh my band so fucking, so fucking quiet. I think the only thing I can sort of like relate it to is on such a smaller scale. But if anyone's ever seen that Rodriguez documentary where when you meet someone who knows any current suppression ry, you have that connection immediately, Yeah, exactly, you have that that click and you suddenly have so much to talk about. And we first when we were seventeen, when we were doing demos that are dropout studios in Camwell where we now practice. Jason Playford, he's like a great fucking friend of ours, played us them when he played us that album Primary Colors, and since that we all just got hooked on that album. And I think the interest is is like the mystery behind it, which you know, That's why I'm sort of relating it to Rodriguez, because it's on the other side of the world. There isn't actually like that many live videos or interviews or whatever, and loads of people from going around America and Europe, I've met loads of people who have sort of like a glimpse of insight into their into the context of the band, and every time you're kind of like finding out this gold. I mean, now they're obviously the guitarists went off and formed Total Control Productions. Well, yeah, you know, Primary Colors. The whole of that was recorded and produced in one day. Really, yeah, so I think going over there and there's that new ban the Chats. You did that song Smoko. It went and it went like I hate saying this, but it went viral because it's the most Australian video and song you've ever seen in your life. But that's fucking great. I mean there are loads of other bands and like you know, it's quite a shame with Australia because so much of it never sort of makes it out because of just how far away it is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, geographically they're yeah, a bit more stranded. It takes that much more to get them over to the UK.
Speaker 3: Yeah exactly. I mean even with someone like Alex Cameron, like he took him sort of like you know, touring America and Europe sort of like constantly, yeah exactly for sort of two years to sort of like you know, he has a great fucking following now like Kim and Roy. But it is a far far away land. But there's also like you know, when we go to America, America is weird, you know, it's sort of you know, that sort of like definitely adds to like the mental instability. You know, you'll be dry, You'll be on this highway, this like stretch of like unanimous American land, and you'll like stop off at service station and you'll drive for like three hours just stop off, and you're at the exact same fucking service station with the same people working there. It's all kind of a bit like disorientating. And we had we had a weird time there. But I really know what, like the place I'm most excited to go to is LA have been before, no, never been?
Speaker 2: What is what's your what image of you got in your mind?
Speaker 3: Just just I think, like you know, a place where only reigns one time of the year and it has sort of like the history that it has. And I think the British, the British humor, I think sort of like, uh, it's quite attracted to the La personalities of that sort of like fakeness, you know, like that it's that it's like that they're so genuinely fake and that I'm stereotyping and generalizing now, but like from what I've heard in the stories and stuff like that, and I think it just I mean New York was New York was great, but like it was quite it was was just like London on crack. Like it didn't it didn't feel like didn't feel like when we went to Austin and we were like for south By Southwest and we're like, whoa, We're in America. New York just kind of felt like, you know, you were just walking on a film set you've seen like a hundred times before. That's not to say I didn't like it, but apparently it's you know, changed massively as well. But I mean, you know, for for us as a band, as individuals, it's our first time going to all these We'd never been to New York as people. You know, we've never been to La We've never been to so many other places. So we get to experience like all of these different things for the first time. And I think, like definitely, like the truest thing is if you go as a tourist, you're gonna have a completely different experiences if you go as a band, yeah, because you just get sort of thrown into whatever you're doing, you know, like you get thrown into a different sort of side of the side of the city.
Speaker 2: And when is your next day off and when we be back in London, like at home Home.
Speaker 3: Well, we're going to be back on the twenty fifth of March, so we're gonna longest we've been away before.
Speaker 2: Is like, it's going to be spring when you get back.
Speaker 3: I know, I know, I know people are going to you know, pairs will grow and you know, bellies will change. But so it's going to be it's going to be weird. But I think I think it's definitely exciting. I mean, you know, being in this band, we never we never had a gap year or anything like that. We get to go and experience all of all of these things. So you go on holiday, yeah, basically work. I mean, I don't know, I don't even know what the fucking description for being in a band is anymore, like some sort of like mutated work holiday.
Speaker 2: It's all merged together.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly, poison.
Speaker 2: When you get back, it will be and in March should be kind of going into summer. What are your have you thought about what you like to achieve and what might happen like this year in twenty eighteen, the album's out. Now you've already been playing those songs for like eighteen months, two years, but a lot of shows in a weird way. This is the beginning again because the album's out there. So do you have any goals ambitions? Do you want the Mercury Prize nomination to top it all off or something like that.
Speaker 3: No, I think if we can play you know, probably won't happen this yet, but in the future, if we were able to play Bricks and Academy and sellout like that sort of like the main ambition for the band. But going to America and going to Australia and Canada, all of these different countries, you are starting as a band all over again, maybe have a little foot up than a band who's just started out. But that's what's quite like appealing to us as well, having this sort of like clean slate, Like when we toured America, it was literally like, you know, doing our first UK tour again apart from in New York. That's something that's quite attractive. I think we just want to write. We just want to ensure that we have time to write new music as well, and we know that that's you know, the importance, so that we don't just want to you know, we'd be one of those bandsy tours a lot and release as a ship second album and maybe maybe that might happen, but you know, hope, hopefully we'll try and avoid it. But I think one of the goals as well is just sort of like we've always wanted to do. Like an I think touring for us is like a is a great form of release because we are primarily a live band. We've always been like that. And like the next the UK tour that are going on like is basically like all the dates are going to sell out by the time we get you know, we've already had loads have sold out three months in advance, so I think that will be like, I think that's like something that will sort of be like a moment where you're like, we're like, you know, a moment of joy in Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well listen, thanks for coming on Midnight Chats. We appreciate it. Good luck with the tour Australia and America. We'll see you back in the world Europe, in the world taking over. So yeah, officially Britain's most exciting new guitar band today. Thanks for joining us, Charlie.
Speaker 1: Midnight Chat is a loud and quiet podcast production by Emma Snook Music courtesy of Gold Panda. Search Midnight Chats on iTunes for more episodes and to subscribe. For more information, visit loud and Quiet dot com.