Speaker 1: Hey, hey, hey, we are back. It's episode twenty. I miss y'all as well too.
Speaker 2: I talked to you more than I talk to people in my family. By the way, it's true, because we have a gut standing once a week date.
Speaker 3: I'm like, you know, I should do that with other people, but I just I'm just so sad.
Speaker 1: Sleep But you know, it's so crazy, like I went out with the I when I took poetry with a good friend of mine who had not seen him forever.
Speaker 2: You're so cultured, I.
Speaker 3: Know, no, but I used to really be into poetry.
Speaker 1: I mean, honestly, you know, I think you know I used to step on a stage or way you did spoken word. Yes, I did get a little taste, right, So let me see.
Speaker 2: No, we can't phenomenal woman. Every black woman who's ever done the spoken word has got no phenomenal women.
Speaker 3: Of course, you may push me down in history with your bitter twisted.
Speaker 2: Lass, but I got diamonds at the meeting of my buzz.
Speaker 3: I am a woman, phenomenally phenomenal woman. That's me.
Speaker 1: No, No, but I really did used to be, Like, especially in college, I was really into poetry. And so there's this young woman named Jasmine Man's who is Dope.
Speaker 3: Tastic if you guys get a chance.
Speaker 1: Jasmine Man's she I don't know, she's like twenty five, but she's got this new poem called like Message for Kanye or something like that, where it's this poem kind of like Kanye, what happened to You? But it's really an amazing poem. And she was having a show in Newark where I live, and it was like fifteen bucks at Symphony Hall, and I was like, you know, I want to go, but then you know how it goes when you buy a ticket like a week or so ahead of time, when you're feeling all optimistic, and then the day comes and.
Speaker 3: You're like, I'm sad, I don't want to go, but we ended up going anyway. But I realized that.
Speaker 1: So I'm thirty six and most of my friends are in their thirties, and I'm feeling there's like this general sentiment and I don't know you could tell me this because I know you're so in your twenties. If you're getting this energy from your friends, everybody feels so stretched to the limit and tired, and no one's really taking time for themselves.
Speaker 3: Everybody's just in go go, go, go go mode. Have you been getting that.
Speaker 2: I'm feeling like I'm in like the go to work and come home, go to work and come home for dinner and watch the TV and maybe work out and then go to work. You know, like that cycle hits me down.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know, Like I feel like the thirty year olds and the like the thirty five, thirty six, you know, thirty two year olds. I know they've they've it's not even like so much go to work and go home. It's like everybody has kind of hit like the turbo drive because they're just like, Okay, I'm past my twenties, I know what I want to do.
Speaker 3: I'm working in my fields.
Speaker 1: I got that promotion, and now it's just like everything is going great professionally, but my personal life is totally dying that Like it's such a crazy sentiment, but every one of my friends has been like, you know, everything's going great at work, work or whatever, like business or.
Speaker 3: Whatever I have, but I just I'm dying on the inside.
Speaker 2: Help you are personally?
Speaker 1: No, Yeah, yeah, well me, I've been feeling like that too, because it's like like business has never been better at the Budgetnista. Honestly, like it has never been better. Things are growing at a pace that I cannot even It's like warp speed at the budget lista. But at the same time, I'm like always tired and thankfully like Superman is so amazing. Like today, I just came straight home from my taping I did and fell asleep and woke up to a clean house and breadth and food made. And I know you're tired, babe, but I'm just like, dang, when's the last time I hung out?
Speaker 3: I'm like just hung out.
Speaker 1: You know, because even when I hang out with my friends now, they bring their computers and like we.
Speaker 3: Talk about work.
Speaker 1: Even at the poetry show, me and my girlfriend at the intermission who I went with, and we're like talking about work, and I'm like, dang, when's the last time we were just like, oh my gosh and hey girl, and those are cute nails and yeah. So I feel like there's just like I don't know if it's the age that we're in, but everybody's just been struggling to reclaim. So one of the things I'm gonna do is I'm actually gonna have a vision board party. And so you're totally invited, which I actually see it like loud in publiccause the people are gonna be like, I want to go.
Speaker 3: Well, by the time it's the years that might be.
Speaker 2: Over, I'll do it for you. But you know how I felt about vision boards.
Speaker 1: Yes, but I mean you could keep it in honestly, because I think that one of the things one of my ways to kind of reconnect is to try to like host events where I can hang out with my friends and just hang out and let it just be that, you know, like, do not you even have to be that.
Speaker 2: You know, I was just talking about relationships and how I'm really like trying to focus on that for twenty sixteen, and I'm telling you that weekend that I spent with my friends, we had internet, but we just literally just played games, Like we had a few board games and we had a TV and we really played old video games and we just like we didn't even talk about anything like that memorable. We didn't have like discussions that changed lives, but it was just being together and just like I don't know, it was it was just like you turn your brain kind of down and not yeah, weekend, it was maybe something like that. It's I think changing the environment if you can. I know it can be complicated, but getting outside of your apartment or outside of places that remind you of work or work, yeah, it is really important.
Speaker 1: I think a game night that would be fun, And maybe that's why I'm going to commit to that like one of my like things for twenty sixteen, cause honestly, like I like like planning and putting people together that maybe at least like maybe once every other month, I plan some sort of like fun night where its has nothing to do with anything other than fun, Like, hey, game night, you know, everybody bring cards, we have taboo, you know, vision board night, we all just kind of hang out.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: I'm definitely going to commit to at least like once every three months having some sort of just gathering just for gathering sake and women coming and lacking and eating and drinking together because I just think that we need it, you know, we do.
Speaker 2: And it's nice to like you're so stuck in your own lane and like what you're doing, and it's nice to sit back and remind yourself that people have stuff going on too. It is, and I hate that feeling when I see, like I just saw one of my friends who was like my first almost one of my first friends when I moved to New York and I saw him for the first time in a year and we live in the same neighborhood. For he came for dinner the other night and we were just talking, and God, I was like, you, you started law school. I forgot about that, Like he started law school and I hadn't even thought about it, you know, And I felt, I don't like that feeling. So it's nice to just yeah, because I feel like it makes you a better friend too, when.
Speaker 1: You for sure that every you know you're not feel like you said, I love that knock knock knock on the mic. You're not the only one with stuff going on. People have babies. Oh that's cute about your business. I gave births.
Speaker 2: I created a human life.
Speaker 1: Just growing a little a little person inside of me, you know.
Speaker 2: Speaking of speaking of babies, I had like four or five friends who had holiday babies. Well, four who gave birth and one who announced they were pregnant. So it is like before the past couple of years have been the years of the weddings, and now it is becoming the years.
Speaker 3: Of the babies.
Speaker 2: Either way, your budget screwed because there's like a million events. I last year's babies, I'm going to baptisms and first birthday parties.
Speaker 1: Yes, it is honestly like once you get to a certain age, you just have to open up like a separate bank account for like life, you know, like just things that are happening in your friend's life because you just know you're gonna have to put money.
Speaker 2: Out, you really do. But I saw all my friends. I'm like, you shouldn't have gotten married five years ago when I was broken New York, because now I actually have money.
Speaker 3: I know.
Speaker 2: I remember I wrote when I wrote my friend she got one of my best friends, she got married three years ago. I remember writing her check and I had I was like two dollars away from overdrawing my account when I wrote that checked her. I think it was like seventy dollars some random number that's all I could afford. I was like, oh, I remember when you used to write checks with like the fear of God in your heart?
Speaker 1: Yes, like or you write a check with a caveat like So I'm kindily.
Speaker 2: Cast this after you after the.
Speaker 3: Fifteenth, between the fifteenth and.
Speaker 1: The thirty, if you cash it after the thirty I'm not gonna promise it's gonna be money. But if you waited and to that, you're like, girl, just keep your money.
Speaker 3: Ah, those are the days.
Speaker 2: Well let's jump into some headlines just real quick. Yes, I wanted to talk about some buffoonery that has taken place.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: I don't really watch comics, watch comics, read comics, but I do enjoy the occasional movie. So I read not only one, but two major comic book publishers, DC Comics and Marvel. Marvel is spider Man. Let me not get this wrong, so people don't complame me spider Man. Spider Man is Marvel and DC Comics is Superman. They both made like huge nafoos in the same week. So DC Comics put they placed a storyline with Superman and Wonder Woman, who I guess are going through some relationship struggles in Pakistan for some reason. And there's all this dialogue, you know, the little bubbles, and then the bottom there's like an editor's note that says dialogue has a an asterisk. Is all translated from Pakistanian dot dot dot editor which it's funny because Pakistan's a country, but no one speaks Pakistanian because that language doesn't exist.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it must be.
Speaker 1: It must be like, you know, like cousin to African, because you know, there's not African. There's not a million African language, just one language called African. So it must be kind of like in that vein that you're just not quite.
Speaker 2: Aware of, the saying do you speak yeah, I mean do you speak Chinese? Well, there's two different Chinese languages, yeah, Or like do.
Speaker 1: You speak American? Like girl, you know on Pakistani it's similar to American.
Speaker 2: And I'm not going to pretend that I knew what the languages in Pakistan were. Actually the main language is Urdu, yes, and there's like three or four others, including English that are quite common. But all it takes is a Google search.
Speaker 1: My friends, I was gonna say, you know, the Googles is open twenty four hours a day, and I've heard it's free.
Speaker 2: I bet you can even search Yahoo dot com and find an information.
Speaker 1: Yes, I'm pretty sure just saying something even being will allow you to find them. And you know, we don't really bing much, but even being I've heard or it can be used for those kind of researches.
Speaker 2: Well, not to be outdone DC Comics or sorry Marvel. With Spider Man, they place Spider Man in Cuba. Love Cuba. It's amazing. You can go to Cuba now if you're American, and it's super easy. They placed him in Cuba. But for some reason, they drew the Puerto Rican flag.
Speaker 1: Oh well, you know, flags are all the same, Like you speak Spanish, Puerto Rico, Uruguay, you know, Honduras all the same. To me, that's funny, Like, you're right. So apparently the people were really in the comic book world. The googles was they weren't working for them.
Speaker 3: Huh no.
Speaker 2: And you know what's funny is in the article I'm reading it from a romescala dot com, which is like a blog focused on Latino Latin American news, they write that the writer of this comic, the writer is Puerto Rican, which is crazy. Yeah, yeah, the writer.
Speaker 1: I was like, oh, you know, it could be a joke. The writer is like, let's see if they get this.
Speaker 2: It can't be a joke. That's crazy, I bet you know. Maybe it was just a matter of like he's so used to saying the Puerto Rican flag. Maybe even if you live in New York. The flag is everywhere. Yeah that maybe he just saw it and didn't even think about it. But how could you forget You're writing a comic based in Cuba and then the flag. Maybe he wrote it and didn't illustrate it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is true. Whatever is it me?
Speaker 1: Or whenever you hear somebody say Puerto Rico, you want to say, oh, is that just me?
Speaker 2: You?
Speaker 3: No, it's not just me. Somebody you tweet the BA podcast?
Speaker 1: Let me know if you don't want to say, oh, afterwards.
Speaker 2: What's happening it? Okay? Long song? Well they failed, and I feel like publishers need to be better.
Speaker 1: Yes, I mean like, yeah, Google works, and I mean I get it because sometimes there's so many like little nuances when it comes to putting things out that it's things slipped through the cracks, but you're just hoping that enough eyes will see things that that doesn't happen.
Speaker 2: Well, let's move along. I don't have anything else to say. Oh, real quick, are you playing the lottery?
Speaker 1: So I'm not gonna lie. Everybody I know was playing the lottery, and I'm like, should I? But I kind of want to get my millions from my business?
Speaker 2: But your husband brought home a ticket and I'm like, hmm, that was four dollars. I could have got me a coffee.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but if.
Speaker 1: Back four dollars now, if I'm like Mandy, hello, Hello, but.
Speaker 2: I know you don't want to like you don't want to do them too much because they win, they could be like, oh you didn't believe in me.
Speaker 1: You can't have this so exactly like so one of the so a woman, one of my Facebook friends, she had written like, oh my god, I'm so mad. I didn't go to work yesterday. Apparently her her pool, like you know, she has an office pool. They chipped in money and they won whatever it was. It ended up being fifty thousand dollars apiece. So you know she's pissed. I mean, you know, not enough to quit your job, but certainly enough to make for a happy New Year.
Speaker 3: She was like, I'm never missing work again.
Speaker 2: I would do an office pool. I don't know. I've just I have just feeled some type of way about gambling. I just don't like it.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, me too.
Speaker 2: Well, not to bring the mood down, but let's talk about this lady, this hungarian lady, all who did not want not to but seven different versions of blackface as an artistic project, she said, to save Africa from going extinct. God bless her.
Speaker 4: She thought she could save Africa because you know, apparently, you know, it's must be similar to that whole African language thing that you know, people just speak African, so you can save Africa and speak African apparently.
Speaker 3: But I'm not gonna lie.
Speaker 1: So I was ready to like be all up in arms, and I saw the pictures and there it is blackface.
Speaker 3: They are so beautifully portrayed.
Speaker 1: I can tell that the person who did it really came from a place of thinking that they were doing the right thing.
Speaker 3: That's what I'll give her.
Speaker 1: Like, you don't look at these pictures and think that she was trying to be purposely disrespectful or purposefully.
Speaker 3: Like just ignorant. It does not read like that. It reads like she really.
Speaker 1: Thought, Wow, I'm doing something great here. I'm gonna put a lot of effort and good energy into it. I'm just I've just been misinformed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it wasn't like a Halloween thing where you're just doing it for shits and giggles. Yes, you know, and it's terrible makeup, Like she legitimately personified the women and other photos. I just don't get why, because she has the images side by side with the real women and these images which are I mean, they both look great, but I'm like, why not just post the pictures of the real women?
Speaker 1: Ah, She's like, no, why do that when I can do something just way more ignorant?
Speaker 3: But no, Yeah, I mean, yeah, I have.
Speaker 2: A white friend. Just tell them, no, be there.
Speaker 1: For them, Yes, please pull into the side, and there are times of need, yes, and just say you know what that thing, that black facing you're thinking of, because you know, we have to do this every Halloween, even though people get ripped and ran over and dragged on social media, someone every Halloween thinks, not me, I'm gonna be the first white person to be able to do blackface and no one's gonna care. People care, stop doing it. So that is your PSA announcement for twenty sixteen.
Speaker 2: You're welcome.
Speaker 3: So it's time for brown Break. I like that.
Speaker 1: But oh yeah, did we ever get any brown break songs? No, no diddies from anywhere?
Speaker 2: We did not?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Where the didties at?
Speaker 2: Dound really worse when I said it out loud.
Speaker 1: I would love a brown break Diddy like brown break, brown break you know me there you go, Yes, I can. Just because I can sing doesn't mean I should sing. And that's one of those things brown break, you want to go first or I'm still trying to figure out the wording of my brown break, but I could start like I'm trying to think like the cohesive, like I'm taking a brown break from you know, I'll say I'm taking a brown break from uh, people undervaluing what I bring to the table. That's what I'll say. That's probably the most concise way that I can say it. No, not haters, but they're Lately in the last few weeks or so, people have kind of like approached me and like my business and things that I'm doing, and the exchange has been so lopsided.
Speaker 3: I'm like, wow, So.
Speaker 1: For example, this is just I'm just making this particular scenario up. But they might say, Hey, Tiffany, I'd love for you to do you know, ten thousand dollars of work and I'll give you one hundred bucks.
Speaker 3: You should be happy with it.
Speaker 1: That kind of like that's what the exchanges have been lately, And I'm like, are you kidding?
Speaker 3: Like it's just been so it's not happen.
Speaker 1: It hasn't even been frustrating, honestly, because my answer is always you've lost your mind. No, Like, I haven't said you've lost your mind, but I'm like, you think, are you aware that I know what I bring to the table. So no, like, and this has been large brands, it's been smallmallern brands. I mean, just approaching me in a way that I'm like, are you, like, are you serious? So it's just been very it's been insulting, That's what it's been. It has not been frustrating because my answer is no, quite honestly, I don't need to. I don't feel the need to partner or join or whatever with anyone because I know that the work that I put in. But it's been very insulting some of the offers that I've gotten, Like the offers have been something that you would get when you first start. But I've been like six seven years in of like busting my behind and working really hard and to come with offers that just seem like either you have not done your research or you think that you're going to be able to trick me. So that's the part that makes me like slightly just disappointed. Is because it's like either you don't care about what I'm doing or you think that I'm stupid, because I'm just like, what what am I five years?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 3: This is babysitting money.
Speaker 1: No, So I'm taking a roundbreak for people who undervalue what I bring to the table. If you know, if you're gonna partner with someone or you're gonna connect with someone, please.
Speaker 3: Do your research.
Speaker 1: And if you don't have, you know, the funds or whatever, that's fine, but don't insult people, especially people who really work really, really hard, because you know, no one has to say yes. That's one thing I've learned, Like twenty sixteen for me is a year of no. I have no problem with it rolling off my tongue, Tiffany, would you like nope, nope, no, no, nope. So I'm practicing no and no is a complete sentence. And so I'm taking just a brown break from that just because it has really rubbed me the wrong way. And I'm just like, wow, I guess because I've just been so tired. I've been working so hard, and so when somebody steps to you it's something that's insulting.
Speaker 3: You're like, not even like remotely, like.
Speaker 1: Oh I could see how No, just straight insulting, like let's see if you could trick this girl.
Speaker 3: The answer is now. So that's my brown break coops Mike.
Speaker 2: Yes, I don't even want to follow that up with anything. Let's just get me this week.
Speaker 1: You can borrow something light or are there any fashion trends that you want to take a brown break from me?
Speaker 2: Like fashion trends, I don't know.
Speaker 3: I'm like, we could do something light.
Speaker 2: Well. I did take a brown break from apps on my phone this week, specific apps, apps that suck my money dry. I went through, I deleted. I told you I was taking like a spending break, but you know, just because I feel like I've been spending money on things that don't bring me true happiness. And also weddings cost money, I've heard, so I deleted all the apps. And I don't think people realize how much money flows through their phone. And maybe it's for the younger generations, but like I pay my bills through my phone, I shop through my phone. I was sitting, Okay, I hope he doesn't listen. Christmas Eve, we were at we were at future husband's parents' apartment and his brother showed up and I didn't really realize who was going to be there, and I was like, oh crap, I didn't get his brother a gift for Christmas. Pull out my phone. I covertly go on Amazon dot com the Amazon app, buy him a gift card, email it to him, delivered at midnight, bam, like within two minutes.
Speaker 3: Awesome. But then the.
Speaker 2: Money's gone, and it's like, it's amazing because you have that you know, that flexibility or whatever. But it's also I checked. I have this. I'm using this new app call Level. Okay, what's it called Level. It's a budgeting app called Level Okay. I like it better than Mint, and I encourage you to check it out before just people listening, because it doesn't just you can have all your accounts in one place like Mint, which is cool, and you can set goals and stuff, but it just tells you. It goes through your accounts, sees how much you have, looks at your goals, and tells you how much you can afford to spend two day.
Speaker 3: Oh I like that? Is it free?
Speaker 2: It's free? Yeah, I just I just found it today. It tells you how to how much you can spend today. This week and this month the three days.
Speaker 3: I like that level.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna, you know, let me text that for myself because people always ask me like, I mean, you know, shade to Men. A lot of people I know love Mint, but a lot of the the push back I get from because I've never used Men is that it's a little bit complicated.
Speaker 2: It's super complicated, and so.
Speaker 1: You know, so a lot of my dream catchers, that's the people you know who follow the budgetese. I'm always like, like, do you know if any other apps? But because I like actually enjoy budgeting, like when I'm stressed out, like I budget for fun, so I don't use apps. I'm like, I'm a paper and pencil Excel type of girl, and so I'm never able to tell them we'll try this, But you know what, I like that level.
Speaker 3: I'm looking at the level.
Speaker 2: Ments to pain in the ass because the whole purpose of ment and other and not just meant. I've used other ones to like learn best a personal capital, and I just always test them out. It's because they are supposed to track your expenses. But like if you live in a city where like you don't go to the like name brand stories every day, like if I go to the bodega or I take a yellow cab, they don't recognize the merchant and so they don't categorize it. So you got to go categorize all. Like at the end of the month, I have like dozens of transactions I have to manually.
Speaker 3: Oh no, that's too much.
Speaker 2: So much.
Speaker 3: Don't want you to have an app show because.
Speaker 1: People ask all the time, like someone hit me up and they're like, oh, what do you and Mandy think about? You know this app or this I feel like we should have like not necessarily a whole show, but maybe our favorite app of the moment or something like you know how we're gonna do our books if we get a chance. Oh yeah, you know, just because there's so many free like websites or apps or stuff that we're using that that's really working that we can kind of share. I think that'll be fun.
Speaker 2: Well, let this be the first one.
Speaker 1: Okay, so level let's try and left. I'm excited to try. Now I'm like on my phone trying to be likes.
Speaker 2: The best because I mean, you need it's just a little reminder, Like I'm looking at it right now. I have fifty four dollars left I can spend today, and I'm like, oh great, I'm gonna be fifty five bucks ahead tomorrow because I'm not going on tonight. Yeah, but to help me not resist the temptation, I deleted Seamless. I deleted Amazon's app. I deleted what are the other ones? Uber? I deleted which was kind of hard, and Lift. I deleted and group on. Oh and I was I used to be a group on Attic. I deleted that just a little just a little apps for like, you know, little bits of money would just disappear. Like I was constantly buying books on Kindle on my phone and stuff, and so got rid of those. And I'm feeling I've been a weekend and I'm I'm feeling okay.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Another thing you can turn off is that like one click Amazon. That thing is the devil honey.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, that it was on my phone too.
Speaker 3: What I didn't even want to it is not just that.
Speaker 2: But the id I could I use my finger to like buy music or buy something on iTunes and Amazon You can use your finger now.
Speaker 3: Oh my god.
Speaker 1: And that means it's whoever convented that clearly genius. So you know, that's kudos to you. But I turned off my one click option and so like it's it gives me a choice one click or now it says like, you know, buy it the regular way, because sometimes you know, you go through the process and then you're like what am I doing?
Speaker 3: What am I doing? And then you'll stop.
Speaker 1: And so now I forced myself to go through because now it's not automatically one click because it's just that's.
Speaker 3: Just too much.
Speaker 1: I just I was buying things that I was never going to use. Although I did buy a new book today. I can't wait till we talk about books because I'm like, I bought a new book and I'm excited to share. Well, maybe i'll share my other book. But yeah, we'll get to that. So your brown break is bringing it on home? What is your round brak?
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, I went on a Tiffany roller coaster. Yes, my brown break is the apps that suck my money dry.
Speaker 1: Yes, you're taking a break from someone money sucking dry apps.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 2: And I'm trying at the level app and again at the level L E V E L check it out.
Speaker 3: Yes, I'm gonna have level by next week. I'll be able to talk to you.
Speaker 2: About it cool. So for tips today, we have a really excellent reader question that I wanted to go over. I love this question so much on so many different levels because I think it personifies a bunch of like mistakes that a lot of people make early in their career. And thank you Jonita for putting yourself out there for us to nitpick. But it's a long emails. Let me try and paraphrase. So Jonita just graduated twenty fourteen, so just a couple of years ago, like less than two years ago. She wanted to work for or a education nonprofit, and luckily for me, the education the organization that provided part of my college funding, loves me and recommended me for a job with one of those nonprofits. I had no admin experience, but there I was two months out of college, making twenty eight K working as a part time office manager for a great organization. Then a year later, well it sounds like my first job. I was told they were looking to phase me out in order to bring in someone who could do my job in addition to taking care of other accounting and business needs. She'd only studied sociology and didn't have any desire to do accounting, So this is awful. So of course she was shocked, because I'm shocked. I was disappointed, and I didn't know what I was going to do. So this past September, she, after submitting a dozen resumes and going on a few interviews, she had a job offer. She immediately accepted the job on the spot. It was a job doing what she wanted to do. It was in my field, and I had no other prospect, she said, so why not Shell. So you accepted it without even asking what the salary was. And then she says, then on my first day of work, I discovered why I should have thought harder about this. The position was a contract positioned through the end of the school year and only paid fifty fifteen hundred dollars a month before taxes. She said, I had just taken a giant pay cut. So here I am three months later, trying to work out my boyfriend and I's budget to make sure we can still eat after paying rent, utilities an individual and paying out our bills. She lives in Washington, d C. Which is super expensive. Yes it is, and neither of our parents have room in their homes for us to live, so we are stuck so she sang, all of this is to ask what should I do. I love my job and everyone's great, but I'm at the end of my rope. Should I start looking for a new full time position? And if so, how should I handle putting this position on my resume? I think I can totally relate to. First of all, I can relate because my first job in New York City, I was laid off three months after I After I got the job, she was super fun. I didn't even have a bed frame or like a mattress. H No, it's okay, it's funny now. And not only that, but I left that job. I left a job in Georgia, a good job, full time as a newspaper reporter. I got that job in two weeks later, the magazine in New York called me to see if I wanted a job there, and so I ended up quitting that newspaper job, solid job with benefits after only a month of working there, and then move into New York only to then be let go three months later. So I can I can tell you how to handle like putting a job on your resume that we're only there for a short period of time. I can handle that and then also that feeling of desperation when you lose your job and then you just go for the first thing that comes your way. And I understand that it can be stressful because obviously you have to have a job. You get a job offer, and you're so stoked it's in your job field. But I think the mistake here was clearly not asking upfront the two crucial questions how much does this pay? And is it full time? And I feel like the freelance economy, like it's so common now for employers to only have contract work, which is essentially where you're working on a timeframe, you don't get benefits, and your job is up in like, you know, three months, six months. I've worked at places where people are on a two month contract and they just have to get they have to like wait on tenter hooks every two months to see if their contract is going to be renewed. And it's like not a good way to live. So I understand how you found yourself in this position, but you can't go back. But I would say anyone who's in the position now, like don't just take the first off, or you have to ask questions and you shouldn't feel you shouldn't feel shy. I know she just graduated, you know, less than two years ago, so she's just you know, inexperienced. But I think in her case, maybe practicing or asking someone who is experienced about a job before just kind of jumping at it would have been a smart way to approach that.
Speaker 3: Mm hm.
Speaker 1: So moving forward, what do you I mean? I think for sure she needs to be looking.
Speaker 2: For Oh, no joke. Yeah, you should absolutely be looking. And your job's a contract job anyway, like they they should not be. I don't know. I feel like when you're when you hire a contractor, I feel like you have less you have less right to be upset if they leave. Yeah, they leave because you're telling them right off the bat, we're not interested in investing in you for the long term. So you know, why should you be sitting around waiting for them?
Speaker 1: So you should be aggressively looking for a job because you don't. It doesn't make sense if you're worried about do we have enough to buy food? Don't put yourself in that position unnecessarily or stay in that position.
Speaker 3: And so yeah, definitely look for another job.
Speaker 1: So this is something really for you though, Mandy, because I have not had to write a resume in so many years, and like probably like ten years. So how do you how does she handle that on her resume?
Speaker 2: I mean, you put you put it on there. I mean, you have a pretty thin resume because you've only had two jobs since you graduated. It sounds like and I think that your future employer should understand that when they hire someone your age who's recently graduated. And I say, you tell them the truth. I say, the first job you obviously you were laid off, and you don't write that on your resume. Of course, I absolutely put the magazine where I worked on my resume. I did not put that I was laid off. I put all the great things I did there, of course, and then I put, you know, the few months.
Speaker 3: That I work there.
Speaker 2: If they cared to look at it and do the math and find out that I was only three months, then maybe they asked. But I can't remember. Like I think that we overestimate how much time employers have. Hiring managers have to like review resumes, and sometimes they don't catch that kind of stuff. But if they do, you answer truthfully and you say, okay, well they were looking for someone with accounting experience and I didn't have those skills, and so we decided to part ways. Make it seem like it was a mutual decision, you know. And for the other job, since your resume is thin, I would say put that on there as well. You you may maybe you haven't worked there long, but you are gathering skills and experience in your field. If your future employee employer asks, you, know, why did you decide to leave, you can say it was a contract position and I knew that it wasn't full time, and I wanted to find something. I wanted to find a place where I could work that would fully invest in me the same way that I want to invest in that in that place. And I think that that should suffice like I don't. I don't, I don't see I don't see someone digging so much into that, and like, you know that being a complete deal breaker.
Speaker 1: And plus you're young. You have to understand that. You know, if you're under assuming you're under twenty five, they're not looking like where is have twenty years of experience, you know, So this is part of this your your resume building. So it's it's typical for somebody in your age range and to have this level of experience. So it's okay, we've all made those mistakes and choices and so now it's like, okay, I've recognized that. So the next time, what I'm I'm going to do is this. So just put that into perspective.
Speaker 2: But I would say, also, never leave an interview before you know, not the first interview, but maybe the second interview. You have to talk about numbers, and it can be it sounds to me like whoever hired you was really incompetent and wasn't experienced, Because as a hiring manager, you don't want an employee signing on to a job they don't know what the damn salary is like that, because you want to give that employee a chance to actually agree to what they're getting paid or else, all you're gonna get is an eployee's unhappy. Probably, So if they don't bring it up, though, if they are inexperienced and you know, not professional, they maybe not bring it up. You have to ask, you know, you have to say, you know, we've had a couple of interviews. I'm very interested in this position. I love the company. I wondered if we can now talk about compensation.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's a great line right there. Women always think like it's so crazy, Like when my sister left her financial job that she hated and was like looking for another job.
Speaker 3: My sister has her MBA in finance and.
Speaker 1: A and she got a it's a duel something like finance and marketing something crazy.
Speaker 3: And I'm like and she's like, oh, I don't know if I'm like, you have your NBA. Why is that? Women? For real?
Speaker 1: Even the place where she was working before her boss didn't have her NBA. So I'm just like, it's like we women have such a hard time like owning up and owning the fact that I'm dope, you know so, And I know it's hard, you know, but and it's to our detriment, Like you're taking these things that are less than thinking, like well, if you.
Speaker 3: Are a man, man you'd be like how much I'm out?
Speaker 2: I mean, you have to look at it this way too. First of all, you're working with she says, in some ways she works with students. Oh yeah, they in her field is working with to give college access to low income students. These this is a group of people, these young people from hard backgrounds, they're gonna need you to give a lot, like emotionally, mentally they're gonna need. But how can you expect to give them anything when you haven't given yourself anything. You're expecting anything for yourself, and you have to make sure that you're getting compensated in a way that matches the work you're doing. And I feel like women often give, give, give, and they don't give to themselves in that way or like don't expect to be given what they're actually do. So and again she's so young, You're gonna learn, but I mean hopefully you learn sooner rather than later, because there's a lot of women who, you know, think the same way. Like she says, I'd hate to disappoint them, my employer or the students I work with, but I'm at the end of my rope. Well, listen to yourself, like the students and the employer, Like, honestly, they're not paying the bills. I mean, well they are, but they're not like they're not gonna be there for you five years down their row. When you have like no savings. You really have to look out for yourself. You need deserve it.
Speaker 3: Yes, that's the thing. It is your first priority to look after yourself.
Speaker 2: Yes, I am so, miss Jonita. We hope that helped. If you have any other questions and anyone else. If you have questions, us at Brown Ambition Podcasts at gmail dot com. All right, so this week instead of wins, we talked about this before we wanted to do trying to talk about People have always asked us, you know what sort of books help you in your career and financially. So this week Tiffany wants to share. Tiffany tell the class, Hey, class.
Speaker 3: So, one of my favorite books of all time. And actually I got the suggestion on Facebook.
Speaker 1: I had read so I think we talked about write the Alchemist when we talked about books last and I told you how much I loved The Alchemist. So I wanted a new book, and I wrote, like a year or two ago, like, hey, Facebook friends, I love the Alchemists.
Speaker 3: Is there any other book that's like that?
Speaker 1: I kind of has that energy, beautifully written a little bit of spiritual, but really just about bettering yourself. And someone suggested this book and it sounded so strange. It's called Jonathan Livingston Seagull. Have you ever heard of that?
Speaker 2: That's the book title. Yes, I never heard of it.
Speaker 1: It's almost like, okay, it's almost like, don't be fooled by the book title. It's an amazing book and I have to say it is one of my favorite books just period.
Speaker 3: It is so beautifully written.
Speaker 1: And so it's about a seagull, which seems weird and at first you're like, wait, what, but it's the seagull is a metaphor for the type of person that you want to be. So there's a seagull named Jonathan Livingston.
Speaker 3: Seagull.
Speaker 1: Yes, he has pred and he starts off like every other seagull like, but he's a little bit different. And then the rest of the seagulls are just chasing basic life, which is fish flying, but just flying just high enough to, you know, to to catch fish, because seagulls kind of dive into the water to catch fish. So most seagulls are living at a low frequency, like low vibration. They don't do any more than what they have to do. But Jonathan and Livingston seagull, he starts to see flying as a means to take himself to the next level, and so he starts to practice to see if he can fly faster, and the rest of the seagulls they can't get it, so they kind of ostracize him because they're like, well, it should be you should be happy with just living enough of a life to cover your basics. And he's like, no, that there's more to life, and I want to chase after that more. I don't even know what that more is, so the story kind of like follows him. It's really it's a short book, but it's so well written, and like I said, it's beautifully written, and it actually has you look at yourself and you think to yourself, am I like the rest of the seagulls? Where I'm doing just enough, just to live, just enough to pay bills, just enough, you know, so that way I can afford my rent. I'm not really reaching beyond myself. And I really suggest that book to anyone who is kind of looking for that push to the next level. It's really short, when I say really, sure you can honestly read it like an hour, hour and a half. But it's well written enough to kind of keep you engaged because it's a story and it will help you.
Speaker 3: I usually read it once a year.
Speaker 1: It'll really motivate you to think to yourself, I want more out of life. I don't want to just make just enough or I don't want to just drive just enough for like basic life. You know, I want more happiness. I want joy I want I want to see how far I can push myself, you know, to what levels can I really reach? So yep, so just google. I mean, there's only one book.
Speaker 2: It's one hundred and twelve pages.
Speaker 1: Yeah, super sure, I'm telling you, Mandy, I think you really like it. Jonathan Livingston Seagull. I bought it from my kindle. I don't always like read. If something's really meaty and heavy, I like, I like to get the physical book. But if something is like like I wouldn't say it's fun, but something's like a little bit lighter, I like to read it on my kindle. And so this is definitely a great kindle read like on the train or like you know, headed home from work or whatever. You'll finish it fairly quickly and you'll think.
Speaker 2: Me, okay, well she seems sure of herself. All right, I'm gonna check it out. Meanwhile, I read a three book crime series and like a weekend, like you know what, you read so much and so quickly, like I haven't read like that since probably college, where I just like devour books in a weekend and then I have this like book hangover where I am like where I am, I feel tired and dehydrated. But then also I'm just like Craven the next hit. I'm like wit and there's no fourth book, and I'm just like it's the It's the Cormoran Strike novels. This has nothing to do with inspiring anybody. It's a crime. It's a it is like the fruits of a nice holiday vacation. I just read these three books. But it's the cormer In Strikes novels. It's Cormoran. It's kind of a weird word. C O R O M A N. I'm written by Robert Galbraith, which who happens to be jk Rowling, who happened to write Harry Potter. I know I'm a Harry Brady.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 2: But my brother, my little brother got in for me for Christmas. And it's so different than I mean, it's nothing like Harry Potter. It's a suspense. It's a grown up novel. Like there's sex, drugs, alcohol, serial killers, people chopping up bodies. But anyway, it was a good book. So and you cannot read that in an hour. There were hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of pages, but they were good. I love a good crime novel.
Speaker 1: And honestly, you know what, I'm not want to you know how some people are like, oh, you know, I love you know, graphic novels, or I love romance novels. I'm like a very you know, I cheat on all the genres. Like sometimes I love romance novels when i'm into them. Sometimes I love inspirational books, I read business books. I don't have a particular genre that I stick to. I just like good writing, and I shouldn't.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: And so I'm just I used to be such an average I mean, I still read probably more than an average, but I used to be like two books a week type of reader, like at least, you know, and I want to kind of get back to because reading to me is really relaxing and I love learning new things and taking those new things, even if, like you know, I've never been into like the crime because I don't like gory, scary things, so they stick with me. But I'm definitely into like crime as it relates to like Ooh, that's an interesting way to think about stuff.
Speaker 3: So yeah, maybe I'll read is it really graphic.
Speaker 2: Because I'm like, maybe don't read the third Yeah, it's pretty graphic. I mean the third book there's a serial killer who drops up women's bodies and puts them in the freezer.
Speaker 3: So oh yeah, so I'm just gonna stay with Matt. But you know when you.
Speaker 2: Read a book though, and it's like a light outside in the morning and then it's like dark outside when you finally come up for air and you have to turn the lights on and stuff like, yeah, like that's the kind of deep reading.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all that notes episode Yes, Episode twenty is a rap skiz.
Speaker 3: It's been so fun as usual chatting with you, Mandy.
Speaker 2: Thank you for taking your break from you're busy entrepreneur life.
Speaker 1: Right, I'm just like, well, no, honestly, I love this is It's brown ambition is like one of the few constants in my life, you know, because weekly we do this. It's like I make time for this and it just feels good to like take a break. Laugh because when I'm doing this with you, I can't like do extra things on the side. I can't multitask. I have to remain present, so thank you.
Speaker 2: I get jealous, so better that way, all right, guys, Well you know how to reach us. You can email us at Brown Ambition Podcast at gmail dot com, tweet us at the BA Podcast.
Speaker 3: Oop.
Speaker 1: Sorry, go ahead now I was gonna say the BA podcast. You can sweet if you know that's the one I remember. And you can Facebook us or you.
Speaker 3: Know, right on our wall Brown Ambition on Facebook.
Speaker 2: Happy weekend, See you guys next week. Bye,