Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: Cowboys introduced their new head coach, Jerry Jones. Certainly felt like that. It felt like it was Jerry Jones being introduced as the head coach instead of Brian Schottenheimer Shoddy as they like to call him. The Raiders introduced Pete Carroll, the Jags introduced Liam Cohen, and the Jets said hello to Aaron Glenn. We'll look at all four of these situations. I look at the quarterbacking situations with all for these coaches, because let's start with Aaron Glenn. He's not sure if Aaron Rodgers is going to be his quarterback. He said, He's kind of open discussions talking to Aaron. But I mean next week, maybe you make a decision. Come you know, you got to get a decision here soon. But what's your backup option there? For the Jets and Aaron Glenn. Liam Cohen goes from Baker Mayfield Junior the third to taking over the Jags and Trevor Lawrence would appear to be in a pretty good position to maybe revitalize him just like he did with Baker Mayfield. The Raiders with Pete Carroll feels like Sam Darnold is on the front burner here. Got to get your quarterback now. As I said when Pete was inter when it was announced that he got the job, I said, what about Russell Wilson here? Because if I'm the Steelers, I'm looking at justin fields moving forward, not Russell Wilson. But I have no idea what Mike Tomlin and Arthur Smith they're planning on. It would help if you got a couple of weapons, no matter who the quarterback's going to be. But I might see Russ available for reuniting with Pete Carroll cowboy situation, Brian Schottenheimer, who didn't call the plays last year but is going to call the plays now as the head coach, and he's stuck with Dak Prescott in that contract. That's two hundred and thirty one million dollars for a thirty two year old quarterback who is injury prone. So he's a good quarterback. Dak is probably the best option of all of these quarterbacks. You know, maybe we see Trevor Lawrence live up to what I think everybody thought he was going to certainly that contract as well. But I'm looking at those situations trying to figure out who's going into a good situation. Brian Schottenheimer, I think we know the situation he's going into. Aaron Glenn wanted the job, and if you look, Aaron Glenn is a former New York Jet first round pick, so he kind of knows the landscape there. The Jags with Liam Cohen, I got to be honest, I didn't know much about him. I still don't know much about him. I'd still like to hear exactly what happened when you were entertaining this offer, going back to Tampa, telling Baker Mayfield you're coming back, and then all of a sudden you end up as the Jags head coach. I get it. I mean, I understand why you took the job. I just I don't know. The timeline is a little weird, and I guess I'm curious about that. But you know what he's saying is basically, hey, let's just move on. Here is Liam cohen on passing up and couldn't pass up this opportunity.
Speaker 3: The opportunity to coach in Tampa was a phenomenal one to get my feet wet in the NFL as offensive coordinator, and I thank them so much for that opportunity. As you continue to do more research and gaining more information as you go, it started to become more clear with every hour that this was an opportunity that you just can't pass up and you ultimately want to do truly what's best for you and your family.
Speaker 4: And that's what this came down to.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's do an emergency fill in the blank. After watching Liam Cohen at his press conference yesterday, you get one word to describe him, Todd, Liam Cohen is corny, Dylan adorable. All right, Okay, I didn't have that on my bingo card, Marvin dorky, Oh, duva, let me hear it, duvall. It had a little bit of here's Johnny Duvo, Paulie quirky in a good way. Well, if he wins, then we forget about all of this stuff. I mean, I'm sure Jacksonville media they're glad to have him, and let's go, let's fix our quarterback and uh, you know, let's get back into the postseason. Tampa Bay still a little frosty of how that divorce happened. Divorce, Yes, Dodd, do you not.
Speaker 5: Want your coach to come across a little intimidating on in some way, shape or form, if you're a fan of a team that wants to move to the next level. Not that you got to be a jerk and nasty to the press, but there's got to be a middle ground.
Speaker 2: Was he too nice for you? You wanted more of the Aaron Glenn where Aaron Glenn's fiery?
Speaker 5: I think I do because I'm pissed off. I want my team to you know, this is a joke all these years. It's time. I want my coach to be kind of angry and less silly, goofy looking.
Speaker 2: All right, here's Aaron Glenn, the Jets head coach yesterday.
Speaker 6: Players, that's here. Now, put your seatbelts on and get ready for the ride. Put your seatbelt zone and get ready for the ride.
Speaker 2: Listen.
Speaker 6: There are going to be some challenges, but what challenges becomes opportunity gets opportunity. But here's what I do know. We're the freaking New York Jet, so we're billfit it.
Speaker 2: Who's with me?
Speaker 7: Let's go all right?
Speaker 2: Uh he's a podium pounder and that bothers me. Oh yeah, Saman did that a little bit. I'm not a you know, hey, you're you're a podium pounder.
Speaker 8: Yes, that's your punctuation when you're a coach the podium. That Saban did that for years. I think that's uh. I'm ready to hit someone, but I can't, so I gotta hit this piece of wood.
Speaker 2: So Fritzy, you like Aaron Glenn, You want to play for Aaron Glenn.
Speaker 5: I want someone that says, you know, bite mecaps, not like massage them gently yet.
Speaker 2: Okay, that would be how I would stay there. All right. Dylan finds Liam Cohen adorable. I'm guessing that would be an ideal quarterback for a coach for you.
Speaker 9: Yeah, and I find that glad and saying where the New York Jets were built for this?
Speaker 2: I don't think that's true. Liam Cohen, by the way, former college quarterback, I think at UMass and actually had a really nice career there. Brian Schottenheimer, that's just a kind of a I don't know how to describe that. Press I've seen a lot of press conferences. I've attended a lot of press conferences with some of the biggest names who've ever coached. That's as weird as I've ever witnessed a press conference where it became it was a little bit about Brian Schottenheimer. It was a whole lot oft Jerry Jones, a whole lot about Jerry. Brian Schottenheimer remembering his father Marty. He starts to cry and it was like a nice moment. And then Jerry has to bring up that he too lost his dad, and then he started crying as well. He hijacked and I'm going, did your dad just died?
Speaker 4: Jerry?
Speaker 2: No, it became like Jerry. It felt like Jerry was taking over the Cowboys as their head coach. It really did. And he kept you know, he was talking about this that you know, I took a big risk on that, like it felt like Brian Schottenheimer wasn't there. But one of my favorite moments was when Stephen Jones, Jerry's son, the Cowboys president, had this to say.
Speaker 10: Well, I think we uh, you know, you always have to evaluate, you know, where it didn't go right last year, and obviously we're also evaluating more it didn't go right, you know in terms of you know, this drought that people say we're in in terms of a championship game or a Super Bowl, and you know, we just have to continue to make this roster better.
Speaker 2: He did air quotes around the word drought. You know, it's real. He made it seem like, oh, you guys have brought up this drought. It's thirty years, that's that's a real drought. Yes, Todd, what's people.
Speaker 5: Say we're in All you got to do is look at the records of the last thirty years. It's there, like in black and white. But that's not a theory that they actually did go to a couple of Super Bowls and we just all missed it.
Speaker 2: We were we were like rip Van Winkle.
Speaker 5: We woke up and we missed some of the championship.
Speaker 2: It's not a rumor that you haven't been to a super Bowl. It's it's fact. I don't need a second source on this, Steven. And the fact that when he went air quotes with a drought and I went, oh my god, we delusional here, Yes, Dylan, Uh.
Speaker 9: To put into perspective that drought is older than I am. So if that helps you visualize it a little bit, Yeah, Yeah, Paulie.
Speaker 8: You use air quotes when something isn't real, Like back when I was in jail. No, you were in jail, dude, You actually were in jail, you served time.
Speaker 2: Well, you know my wife is pregnant air quotes. No, no, she It either is or isn't.
Speaker 5: Yes, Chris Parley is do a skit with air quotes like on the New Summary people say I'm overweight slovenly.
Speaker 2: It was fascinating, It really was to watch that. And here's Jerry trying to convince you that he knows football. His dad tawning football. Hey, I took a risk on shoddy here. It was as if Brian Schottenheimer wasn't there. Here is here's Jerry on his comfort zone. If you don't think I can operate out in my com for zone, you're so wrong. It's unbelievable. This is as big a risk as you could take, as big a risk as you could take, no head coaching experience. He's motioning with Brian Schottenheimer with his thumb like this guy. I took a risk. You didn't have to. Mike Rabel's not a risk, or Ben Johnson probably not a risk, but I took. I'm out of my comfort zone. I'm going You don't have to be hell hired Dion God. I mean, I know it's too late, but that would have made more sense of what the cowboys have become like, I don't know what it is, but you gotta watch it. It may be a car accident and it's not pretty, but you're gonna watch it. Then we got Pete Carroll. Pete Carroll's fired up. Somebody said, hey, every time Pete mentions Tom Brady, you got to do a shot. I would have been hammered quickly. Here is Pete Carroll, the Raiders head coach.
Speaker 11: He's been intrigally involved, you know, wherever where I know that the process could allow him to be in. We haven't seen him.
Speaker 2: You know, he's not been here.
Speaker 11: He's got a big job, but he has been a really exciting part of it.
Speaker 2: Pete is a fast talker by the lay. Whenever we'd interview him, I'd be like, man, just slow down a little bit, Pete. But he's ready. He's got energy, Yes, yes, ma'am, and a.
Speaker 5: Lot of times he's chewing gum, which makes it even harder to understand him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Pete, he's ready to go. His age is going to be mentioned just about every time they show Pete Carroll on TV. Was he the soon to be seventy four year old the oldest coach in NFL history. I think soon to be seventy four. Say that it's a prerequisite when you tune into Raider games.
Speaker 5: Yes, time whinny enthusiastic, he runs down the style worp. He's gonna break his hip or something like that. They're gonna have to have the interim come in week three.
Speaker 2: He's not gonna have a walker, Yes, PAULI.
Speaker 8: In week three. Next year, he'll be seventy four years on.
Speaker 2: All right, okay.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 12: Hey, Steve Covino and I'm Rich David and together we're Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio. You could catch us weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 7: Why should you listen to Cavino and Rich.
Speaker 12: We talk about everything life, sports, relationships.
Speaker 7: What's going on in the world.
Speaker 12: We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories in the world of sports and pop culture, stories that well, other shows don't seem to have the time to discuss and the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together.
Speaker 7: I mean that says something, right, So check us out.
Speaker 12: We like to get you involved too, take your phone calls, chop it up. As they say, I'd say, the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe the most interactive show on planetar. Be sure to check out Cavino and Rich live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app from.
Speaker 7: Five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific.
Speaker 12: And if you miss any of the live show, just search Covin on Rich wherever you get your podcasts, and of course on social media.
Speaker 7: That's Covino and Rich.
Speaker 2: Nick Right, host of First Things First on Fox Sports one and What's Right with Nick Wright. You can find it on YouTube wherever you get your podcast. Great to see you again. By the way, Sunday Morning, Pauli says, let's book Nick Wright, win or lose. So just so you know, we wanted to have you on whether the Chiefs won or not.
Speaker 13: No, that's a lie. No one really wanted to have me on. If they lost, well, that would have been sadly for you and Pauli and more accurately, almost everyone else in the media, I get to be right again, and amazingly, I now am on a two year run of being like, Hey, the team with the best quarterback, the best coach, and one of the best defenses all take them. While everyone's like, did just see what the Lions did to the Jags? Dan Campbell really has them pulling in the right direction. Oh have you seen the Bill's point differential for five years now? The Ravens are one of those how do you stop the offense? Even though they lost six games this year? And I'm like, I don't know, Chiefs win every Super Bowl, so I think they'll probably win this one too.
Speaker 4: Hi.
Speaker 13: Wow, I'm angry. I'm angry at how last week got hijacked. I'm angry at folks instead of just being like, I'm sorry, I was wrong creating a nonsense conspiracy. I'm angry at the way we cover.
Speaker 2: Football these times, talking about.
Speaker 13: Who are we not talking about? I'm I'm so the the conspiracy stuff it mainstream media. Let the tail wag the dog in that the internet's talking about it, So I guess it's the story.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 13: Man NL Football and Dove Kleinman got nine thousand retweets on this still shot photo of a potential hold, So I guess it's gotta be the B block today. And then a Twitter account with twelve million followers says, relief is on the way football fans, relief is on the way. Finish the thought. If you're gonna put it out there, finish the thought relief from what a rigged game is what we're saying.
Speaker 2: Why do you think Adam Schefter put that out there?
Speaker 13: Because everyone has had their brain rotted by an algorithm, and it's like, man, this sure gets engagement. And I get why the faceless nameless accounts to it. It's literally how they make their living. I get it. Like I don't respect it, but I understand it. I look at that honestly, no different than folks. You know that, you know, running any scam that people run just to get by, so be it like that's your lot. I don't understand why someone who the eighteen hundred bucks extra month you can make off Twitter engagement means nothing to them, why they would do that. And I really don't like the hiding behind the Hey, guys, I'm just presenting unbiased facts. There's a trillion facts to choose from and they didn't given time. But if there were a conspiracy Dan on the internet that you murdered people. And then I tweeted, here's a fact, there have been seventy eight murders in Connecticut in the year Dan Patrick moved to town.
Speaker 4: I'm not saying anything.
Speaker 13: It's just a fact, just a fact. These are the murders.
Speaker 4: Here's the numbers.
Speaker 2: Then, and so that platively objectively, can you look at the chiefs, step away from them. Have they got any kind of favoritism?
Speaker 7: I so the.
Speaker 13: Data suggests not. The data suggest Now listen, it was a really bad look. And I will admit when in the first half of the first playoff game, uh Patrick asked for a call, didn't get it, and then the ref came over to the sideline where he was sitting on the bench and seemingly apology. Oh, I'm sorry. That was Josh Allen, and nobody cared.
Speaker 4: No one had ever.
Speaker 13: Seen that happen in sports history. It happened with Josh Allen. Nobody cares. Do I think that the NFL protects quarterbacks got his kneelown out by Bernard Pollard, They changed the rules. Aaron Rodgers got his collar bone broken, they change the rules. Do I think these star quarterbacks they take do I think they get a better whistle than Will Levis? Of course? Do I think that the NFL is a very tough sport to officiate? Yes? Do I think that if you are in standalone close games, there's gonna be a bunch of calls and people are gonna have issue with it. The idea that they get a more beneficial whistle than the other teams, there's no data to suggest it. And that's why that cherry pick data of roughing the passer penalties is so meaningless to me, because watch the clips, and then also, I'll say one other thing, then we can talk about the actual game. Watch that fourth and five, the Josh Allen in completion, and watch the reverse angle the George Carlftis hit, And I think this is what the football nerds would call teach tape. Carl loftis head up, shouldered down into his chest, and then before Allen's even on the ground, is backing up, hands up. You know why, because they're a buttoned up, well coached team that doesn't make those types of mistakes.
Speaker 2: But why don't you just take this as a compliment America wants a new story. They won a new story in all sports. It's not just the Chiefs, it's they're the latest, and people get tired of people whining. Like the Warriors. People got tired of that.
Speaker 13: No, I reject that people got people got mad at the Warriors because they thought they rigged it in a different way by getting Durant. The seventy three win Warriors were one of the most popular teams. Stuff curR is.
Speaker 4: Changing the game.
Speaker 13: People were not only were people not tired of Michael Jordan and the Bulls, there's a whole generation that still pines for that era.
Speaker 2: There's no social media back then, Nick, we don't like okay, they didn't get tired. We only had eyewitness accounts. I don't know what social media would have said about the Bulls.
Speaker 13: So okay. So then I mean, if the answer is that we now in the mainstream media, with a responsibility, with better access to data, with more information, that we should just be taking our cues by what's trending on Twitter, I just disagree with that. And what I where I get, where I got frustrated, and where I got really you know, angry that morning?
Speaker 4: Was this.
Speaker 13: The story of the week should have been. On one hand, you have one of the most objectively talented players in league history and Josh Allen, who is staring in the face of a team that has beaten three times in the playoffs. Going for a dynasty, it will be a defining not going for a dynasty, going to be the greatest team of all time, a defining moment in the best and the second best player in the league's career will be this football game. And instead we're talking about the flag on Mahomes in the AFC Championship game from two years ago, and we're being led down this road by mL football on Twitter. I just find it. I find it cheap and unlikable. That's it.
Speaker 2: He's a Nick Wright, host of First Things First on Fox Sports one. Why would they be the greatest team of all time if they win this Super Bowl?
Speaker 13: Well, anyway, they won three start super Bowls.
Speaker 2: Well they're different teams.
Speaker 13: Yeah, well okay, oh.
Speaker 2: You are talking about this team. Is this the greatest team?
Speaker 7: Got it?
Speaker 13: Got it? I apologize? So I think you can make an argument that if they win the twenty twenty four Chiefs of the greatest single season football team of all time. No team will ever have more wins. They would have lost one game, you know, Week eighteen. I think I actually kind of like that Week eighteen doesn't count because then we can almost treat it like a sixteen game season the way it used to be. The one team that beat them, they then beat them again. They were able to win. It's not a singular force, meaning it had Patrick was not great the first six weeks of the year. They won. Anyway, you can look at specific games they won because of special teams, because of defense, because of coaching, and oh yeah, by the way, they have the necessary components of being considered one of the greatest teams ever, which is generational star, another generational star, another generational star. It's three because Mahomes Kelsey and Chris Jones is a playoff performers, one of the greatest of his generation. And then I think a top two coach of all time and maybe a top two coordinator of all time, and Steve Spagnola like you all. So you have all of that, and then you add what I think is the degree of difficulty of no team ever has been able to follow up back to back championships, not only with a third but with even playing for the third the eight teams to do it, three missed the playoffs, two lost in the divisional round, three lost in the conference championship game. So that would it? Would you know? It's weird. If you were to, like prior to this year, lie Detector test me and say what's the greatest football team of all time? I'd probably say the seven Patriots. But it's a really hard It's like yeah, but some people would be like, no, actually, they're not one of the fifty eight greatest because fifty eight teams won a Super Bowl and they didn't. I've always thought the two most spellbinding teams of my lifetime were the ninety eight Vikings and o seven Patriots, and neither one got it done well.
Speaker 2: The seven Patriots were like the seven three win Golden State Warriors.
Speaker 13: Oh that's a great take. That's a that's a great take. But then Eli Manning has to be Lebron James. I don't like that at all. No, no, no, we gotta gotta workshop that one. But that is otherwise we would have been right there.
Speaker 2: What how do the Eagles beat the Chiefs?
Speaker 13: Oh? They can win, Like I.
Speaker 2: Know, what makes you nervous about this? Matchup against your team.
Speaker 13: I mean, Saquon Barkley is pretty good. So here can I throw a Saquon Barkley Galaxy brain take at you? If a normal football team. So let's say in the twenty eighteen draft, the Giants had drafted Josh Allen, which you know they probably wish they had, and Saquon went fifth to the Broncos. Just a normal team, does the running back position never get devalued because this guy is just on seven concent iative fifteen hundred to two thousand yard seasons. Is this guy did we get of one hundred ways for his first six years of his career to play out? Did we get in poker terms? Then low with the Giants? And now we're just seeing who he can be? Like? So he is And I had this wrong. I thought he was a really good player, but you know it was like the Eagles run game was awesome without him. I thought I was dead wrong. He has transformed them. So when you have that, when you have the second best pair of receivers in football.
Speaker 2: But do you think he single handedly devalued the running back or the Giants did? By take? Is that what you're saying?
Speaker 13: No, what I'm saying is no, no, no, no, no, no. I'm glad you asked me to clarify that. What I'm saying is if Sakuan was taken in the top fifth instead of second, still top five and instantly made the Broncos a year after year contender. My point was, was he good enough that if he just wasn't with the franchise they didn't know what they were doing, they would he would have been at this level every single year or close to it, that they would have been a playoff team every single year. And because of that, people have been like man star running backs still work in this league. That's what I meant, right, So I wasn't taken. It was it was a shot at the Giants, not at him. So yeah, the Eagles. The Eagles have an amazing roster and they have they are great on both lines, and so yeah, they can win. I don't think they will, but they And listen, Jalen Hurts had never thrown for one hundred and sixty yards in a playoff win, and at you know, the this past weekend was his the best in my opinion, the best game of his career that resulted in a win. Obviously, the Super Bowl. He was great. They lost, and so if they get that level of production from him, that's a dangerous team. I just think the Chiefs I said it all your people got mad at me. They were practicing all year, which is why you know in the first game they actually could lose. That mattered. They score a season high end points, Mahomes has a career high in rushes. They do things offensively and defensively they did not do all year, So they have more in the bag than the Eagles. Like that is not shown yet. But this will be a great super Bowl. Great super Bowl.
Speaker 2: Do you think you're gonna get a Super Bowl ring one day?
Speaker 13: Oh? You mean when I retire from broadcasting and then someone asked me to run a team because of my brilliant commentary.
Speaker 2: Well that could happen, But I like, are you gonna be on the float this year? Chris Berman got Super Bowl ring from the Niners, So I'm gonna guess you're wow.
Speaker 13: I didn't know that. I thought he was a Bills fan. Nobody circles the way you gotta ring from a team.
Speaker 2: He's not even a fan of Wow, he's a fan of the Niners. Oh okay, the he had NFC AFCIX, so he's had himself like yeah, yeah, but he got a NINERS.
Speaker 13: I mean, I don't know. I mean, I'm an impartial journalist. Of course you want I just listen. Of course, here's I'm Would you accept a Super Bowl ring? Well, yeah, of course, so you're not impartial? Well it would be rude to.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you don't want to do that.
Speaker 13: No, I mean I do if I lost all credibility and media criticism because I accepted a watch you sent me. No, I'm not gonna well, not everybody knows that what that you sent me a watch?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean that, But that doesn't, you know, compromise your integrity. It's just I wanted to help you out because you had those fake bright wings and I felt bad for you because I have great but I have great respect for you. I said that you and Evan Cohen at ESPN are two of the up and coming people that will be stars. So I wanted you to have that watch.
Speaker 13: No, I appreciate that I wear it every day on television.
Speaker 4: Can I say so?
Speaker 13: I have a I don't know how much time we have, but okay, because I'm you're gonna see shortly I'm gonna start alternating watches because, oh, here's the thing. I don't think the games are rigged, But for the people who do, I hope you have made as much money this year as I have betting on the Chiefs. That's the other thing. Everyone's responding to these accounts and letting them dictate the narrative that are simultaneously saying this, the games are rigged. The fixes in can't wait till they lose next week. Hey, idiots, if the game's rigged, you can make a lot of money betting on this team, as I have throughout the season.
Speaker 2: So how much money have you made this year on the Chiefs?
Speaker 13: Gambling on the Chiefs? Yeah, I mean that's a that's a rude question. How about you? How about you let's price his right style it. How about say a number and I'll say over or under, and you can do it three times.
Speaker 2: Twenty grand over, fifty grand.
Speaker 13: Right now under. But I've got some Super Bowl futures. So let's say they win the Super Bowl. Yeah, you can now say one more number, assuming they've won the Super Bowl.
Speaker 2: Sixty two thousand over. Oh okay, yeah good. Yeah, So you're gonna go another watch?
Speaker 13: Oh yeah, that's what I said. That's there's the point of the stories. That's why IM gonna alternating watches. I'm gonna looked at whether they win or lose Super Bowl. I'm going to look down on the at my wrist occasionally and I will either think of you or I'll think of this chief season, and either way it'll make me happy and then the So, yeah, that's what's gonna happen. Yeah, So that's that. By the way, Josh Allen probably probably should get him in a field goal range. I know we're not allowed to criticize athletes anymore. It's a new, softer, gentler media. I get it. Everyone feels bad for everyone at all times.
Speaker 2: But uh, well, he almost did. If Dalton k and K does catch that ball lot almost the almost did, he almost did almost.
Speaker 13: Yeah, the Ravens can hang the point differential banner, and the Bills can hang the almost did banner.
Speaker 2: He's Nick right. You can. You can see him on First Things First every afternoon on Fox Sports one and What's Right with Nick Wright YouTube and wherever you get your podcast. Good to Talk.
Speaker 13: Thank you, Dan, see you see you bout.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio wapp.
Speaker 2: Let's pull question for hour two before we get to Julian Edelman.
Speaker 9: Uh for hour two, Dan, Actually, it's a throwback from Paul whose wide receiver career would you want more? Calvin Johnson or Julian Edelman?
Speaker 2: So Calvin Johnson first bounder, yep, but very little playoff success and then Julian Edelman then a Super Bowl MVP three times Super Bowl Shain. Let me ask you that whose career would you rather have? Your career or Calvin Johnson's? Julian, I rather have my career? Okay, good, all right, that's it. That's all I wanted to talk to you about.
Speaker 4: Good to see it, angels really good paper. Be sure to be doing Dan.
Speaker 2: Great, great to talk to you. What do you say? What would you say to voters who haven't considered you for the Hall of Fame? What would be your campaign?
Speaker 4: Uh? I'm not a campaigner, so I wouldn't. That wasn't My goal in life is to make the Hall of Fame. Yeah, My goal in life was to go out and host Lombardi Trophy and I got to do that three times and play my best football games in those matches, So you know that's that's pretty much where I stand with all that stuff. I'm not going to sit here in campaign to get in the Hall of Fame, and I think that's lame. If I get in, I get in. If I don't, I got a beautiful eight year old daughter, and I got three trophies that I'll be happy with for the rest of my life. Four because I got the MVP of the last one.
Speaker 2: Well, I know it's not a goal, but if I was, if you said, hey, would you campaign for me, I have been, because I don't. You can't tell the story of the NFL, certainly these big games without you and postseason success. I don't know. I see as Lynn Swann kind of like where Lynn Swan wasn't great regular season, but he was big in big games, and it's the same with you, and you were winning championships. So I've championed your cause. But now I know you don't care about the Hall of Fame, so I'll call that off. I'll move on to somebody else, move.
Speaker 4: On to someone else.
Speaker 2: Why did big games bring out the best in you?
Speaker 4: Well, but people don't realize we weren't a team that was looking to pad guys' stats. You know, there's like four three years of my career, right I'd jump out and I'd have a boatload of catches in a boatload of yards, and we change up the offense completely because we want to change up the tendency going forward into the season. So I think that when the playoffs came, we ran our best stuff and I usually was a part of those those plays. So as we're watching the Chiefs right now, it's kind of that same kind of battle. When you're sustaining success for a long time, it's not about going out and try to having the best offense. It's about going out and try to improve your team each week and get them to play in their best football at the end of the year so you have a shot in the playoffs. So you know, that's a lot of what we did, and you know, we had a lot of success doing it, and it's fun to watch another team be able to find that pocket that we were in.
Speaker 2: You hear a lot of the analysts you know we are, you know people who or host critics, they're talking about Dalton Kincaid, like hang on to the football. Yeah, but from a receiving perspective, that pass that Josh throws and Dalton Kincaid, you know, drops it. What do you see on that play?
Speaker 4: Yeah? You know, first off, no, no game is decided by one play, So I don't think Kincaid is that fault for the loss. There's a collection of plays that they probably want to have back saying that you got to make that catch. You know, to your point, people make those catches in the regular season and it looks great on their stats and you get your money. Scottie O'Brien knows you to say it. You make your money in the regular season, you make your name in the postseason. He makes that catch. You know, we could be saying something different right now. So that's that's how the game goes. I'm sure he feels terrible. I mean the same could be said for Mark Andrews, but you know that those guys are hard working guys that have contributed a lot for those teams this year, and it sucks that the play didn't go their way. But that's football, you know, Dan.
Speaker 2: It's yeah, but look at Mark, you gotta.
Speaker 4: Make that catch. I would you know, they hit him right in the chest play. He misjudged it. I don't know, you know it was. There's four guys there, but I would say probably eight out of ten times kin K makes that catch and the twenty percent where he doesn't. Just so happened to happen that night.
Speaker 2: What did you see on the Ravens play the two point conversion with Mark?
Speaker 4: I saw a guy that lost his confidence throughout the game, and which is very common with the receiver that drops the ball a couple of times, has a fumble, he's starting to think about ball. He's, oh, I just gotta look at it. You know, that was a confidence thing. Was the ball not perfect? Yeah? Could he have caught it? Yeah? But you know that's I feel bad for both those players because of those situations. But you know, there's always got to be a winner and there's got to be a loser. The winners make those plays.
Speaker 2: Talking to Julian Edelman, Fox NFL Kickoff, Anams three times Super Bowl Champ, Super Bowl MVP joining us on behalf of Angel Soft toilet Paper. Are you gonna go to a beer back?
Speaker 4: You got.
Speaker 2: Break?
Speaker 4: No, So that's that's the crazy thing.
Speaker 2: Are you in the commercial? Are you in a Super Bowl commercial about toilet paper.
Speaker 4: Technically, I'm not. Technically I'm not because Angelsoft has a design commercial for people to take a break, to go to use the restroom. We're promoting to use the restroom so you can not miss any of the ads, the commercials, or the awesome content from the game. So Angelsoft they came up with this idea, Hey, we're just gonna give people thirty seconds to go use the rest.
Speaker 2: Ye did that ever happen during a game for you?
Speaker 4: I was told I can't say Larry Is those stories? No, h Yeah, did Larry?
Speaker 2: Did Larry have an accident?
Speaker 4: Larry Izzo? I think hooped on a Saturday, which has never been done. And I'm not joking now peeing we all do it. You know, you always see the two trainers, they pull up the towel, they give you a little you know, a little privacy, and you pull your pants down right by the cooler and you go down. Larry Is tried to take that to a whole other level, and I'm pretty sure he was using Angelsoft.
Speaker 2: Morton Anderson told me a story that he had an accident and had to clean up on the sidelines.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's very Paul Pierce.
Speaker 2: Like, yeah, yeah, but he wasn't. He wasn't off in a wheelchair though. I mean that's soft.
Speaker 4: Basketball is very visual. They're right up on you, so you know you gotta get you gotta get some help there. Angel Soft would have done that job.
Speaker 2: Can you compare Kelsey and Gronk.
Speaker 4: I would say they're different football players. Nothing could be taken away from what Travis Kelcey has done with his longevity, his knack defining the football, his his route running ability he's unbelievable. Uh and and his ability to stay healthy. People don't realize like, yeah, he's been banged up here or there, but Travis Kelcey's been a healthy football player his whole career. That's huge. Rob was like an old school tight end. We used to design run plays to the nine technique Van den Bosch when he was in his prime, with Gronk blocking Van der Bosch. That's different Rob was. You know, he's he's just he's a physical beast, where like when you would run next to him, you could hear the ground hounding, like in him giggling while he was playing. I think they're different football players, but both all time greats.
Speaker 2: Who plays quarterback the way you played quarterback in college.
Speaker 4: In college like in the league?
Speaker 2: Yeah, is there anybody who you could see yourself that was the kind of style that you had when you were in the mac.
Speaker 4: In the mag that's a good question.
Speaker 2: DP.
Speaker 4: I would say I couldn't make the throws like any of these guys, but running style, I was very slippery. I wasn't as fast as some of these, like the the Lamar Jackson's or or the Jaden Daniels, but I did make people look very silly at very high competition, like against really big time schools. So I just couldn't throw a twenty yard out on a dime.
Speaker 2: What were you like the fourth string quarterback on the Patriots?
Speaker 4: There was so remember the year, So Brady was on a vacation for the first four day and then Jimmy g got hurt in a game, and then Jacoby Bresqutte Bersette got hurt, and so that week four game against the Buffalo Bills, we had a whole package of me going in running raid option if something were to come to it, and we never used that. So that's how confident they were in me as a quarterback for the team. The kid had actually Jacoby had a broken thumb, and they chose.
Speaker 2: To over under two and a half years for Belichick at North Carolina. I want to say under back in the NFL, I hope.
Speaker 4: I think I think it's destined right, It's gotta be Pete Carroll's getting jobs. Why can't Bill?
Speaker 2: Why isn't he?
Speaker 4: I don't know. There's a lot of a lot of in cahootanests with those those guys that own the teams. I don't know.
Speaker 2: Did you and Brady have a sign or was there a code word like if he's coming to you changing a play? Was there something you can tell it now?
Speaker 4: Because yeah, it was called yellow sprinkle sugar cookies. He would say that to me, and I knew that. We just had to be dialed and then we wouldn't talk.
Speaker 2: Are you making that out? Are you making that up?
Speaker 4: No? It's real. Yellow sprinkle sugar cookies was the I'm telling you. It was like a Rambo call. We used to have a situation Rambo where if there was no one over you, you scream Rambo Tom, We'll get the ball and throw to you. We also had yellow sugar sprinkle cookies, which then he would tell a kinesis me.
Speaker 2: Oh, yeah, what he wanted me to do?
Speaker 4: No, none of that. I mean when you have so many reps with a football player that we had, and it wasn't just through our time with the Patriots, it was our time in the offseason, you start to think like each other. I mean, we see this with Patrick Mahomes and Travis Kelsey where you know they know, you know, they're each other's eyes on the field. So if Travis is doing something, Patrick is probably trusting what Travis is doing and without seeing everything, just like you know, if Patrick throws Travis somewhere, he's trusting that Patrick's not gonna throw him anywhere. I think a lot of it has to do with that and just knowing each other. There wasn't any There was specific little like swing things or little signals here and there that we could hit, or it could be an eye thing where you know, we give an eye if we talked about it sometime that week where if this guy was in this leverage, hey let's do something else. There was a whole bunch of nonverbal communication going on, but my favorite was yellow.
Speaker 2: What does Mahomes have to do to surpass Tom Brady in your opinion.
Speaker 4: He's just got to do it for a long time. I mean, he's on pace. This is this is remarkable. If he goes out and does three in a row in a salary cap era, you can't say much. You know, I'm I'm as big as a Tom Brady guy as there is. And what the only difference is the longevity. Tom had like three careers. He just so happened to only get two runs at those Super Bowl runs. Patrick's been doing that his whole thing, his whole career. But it'll be interesting for me to see the next chapter of Patrick Mahomes when some sort of adversity comes along, some player that you know, Travis retired, He's gonna be playing way longer after Travis Chris Jones when he departured. You know, he's gonna be there by himself. Will he be able to retool and find guys to help him go out and win, which that's what Tom had to do and it took him ten years to do that to get to the next one. So you know, it's pretty crazy that if you really think about it, they've had a little bit of adversity with guys that may not be cornerstone players, But like the stuff that we went through to see Tom be able to compartmentalize, and we had murders, we had back surgeries, we had gates, and he was still able to go out and win football games. So that's like the next step for me to see with Patrick Mahomes, this next part of his career when you know he doesn't have the whole band together.
Speaker 2: Give me a Brady story. I haven't heard.
Speaker 4: A Brady story. You haven't heard on or.
Speaker 2: Off the field.
Speaker 4: I don't really have. I'm pretty much given all my great Brady stories. But if he actually I do have a really good one. But it's going to be featured on Games with Names next week and then Dudes on Dudes my podcast, so you have to listen there.
Speaker 2: Oh, come on, you.
Speaker 4: Hit him. Have you ever seen angel in the outfield?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: You know when they start doing this, yeah, well you know where that came from, right, that came from Angel Soft. It's like it's like having.
Speaker 2: What is it called, uh, look at you, look at you being Peyton Manning here? Well, no, I'm telling you no, yeah, and then all of.
Speaker 4: A sudden they make them play. You know. It's the same thing that like all of a sudden, the angel soft thing's gonna happen, and Angel's gonna come out of nowhere again to give you a thirty seconds so you can go do your business.
Speaker 2: See, I do think you were can caused on the cam Chancellor hit again in the Super Bowl. You can. You can finally admit it that you were.
Speaker 4: Kindly was it though?
Speaker 2: Dan? Oh, oh my god, I really wasn't.
Speaker 4: I'm a hip injury. Yeah it was. Did I get banged? But I knew that hit was coming. We were going lay across the middle twenty eight yards down the field. I mean, it's cover three. There's a safety roman in there somewhere. Damn. It's like a loss of raptor over there.
Speaker 2: You can't see. I can still hear that. I'm on the sidelines. I can still hear that hit.
Speaker 4: If I was concussed, I wouldn't have been able to try to get up and go. We all know the fencing thing. We're also educated on concussions. Now. I got my eight year old daughter telling me she's got concussions because we talk about them so much. I mean, it's crazy. I'm not joking. These little kids, you know, they get a butterfly that hits their head and they got concussions. Now it's gnarly.
Speaker 2: She's trying to draw a flag.
Speaker 4: Trying to draw a flag, Patty mahomes wildly. We can't be doing that.
Speaker 2: Oh, angels Soft, that's it's not Julian Edelman. That's what he's promoting angel Soft toilet paper, the Big Game commercial that designed to be missed.
Speaker 4: Hey, great, designed to be missed to give you guys enough.
Speaker 2: Time to go to Yes, the facility goods.
Speaker 4: Pretty good, though, isn't that? That's pretty good?
Speaker 2: That's pretty good? Yeah, good good, almost as.
Speaker 4: Good as your shot, because I still remember going into your studio probably what fifteen ten years ago, and you were wet from there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you couldn't stop me. You can only hope to contain me.
Speaker 4: Well, I technically had a torn ac all the time, so I wasn't stopping.
Speaker 2: Any Oh so you're saying you could have stopped me easily, Oh my god, easily. You're so short. I would have been doing that the short thing.
Speaker 4: We would have Wait, well you can't. You can't give the.
Speaker 2: Forum, Ay, no, no, can't.
Speaker 4: But this is street basketball.
Speaker 2: Can't put your hands on me.
Speaker 4: You're going to be banged. Up.
Speaker 2: It's killed hands. You are on you. Oh my god. All right, so I'm stopping the Hall of Fame campaign. You don't need that, you don't care about the Hall of Fame. And I gotta wait for your great Brady story on your podcast. Okay, I don't know what we accomplished here today, but it's great seeing you.
Speaker 4: It's always a pleasure to get to talk to you.
Speaker 2: That's a Julian Edelman