Speaker 1: I'm Sorry's Meg Si and you're listening to the seventy six Ers Insiders podcast.
Speaker 2: This podcast is part of the seventy six Ers podcast network, presented by Stern and Cohen Law.
Speaker 3: Search seventy six Ers Insiders wherever you get your podcasts. Suffering an injury at work can cause physical pain, but also great uncertainty about your rights. You need to retain a worker's compensation law firm that is a winner like our Sixers, a firm that gets some of the best settlements, but is also willing to go toe to toe with the insurance company. No settling on the cheap. This is Philly. We have grit and fight in us. Call the workers Compensation Law Firm of Stern and Cohen or visit their site Sterncohenlaw dot com. The consultation is free. Stern and Cohen are the official partners of the seventy six Ers. They'll go ring the insurance company's bell.
Speaker 2: We're back here in Toronto? Is the Sixers? Hey, I'm the Raptors played for the first of their four matchups. Toronto wins the game. It's the first time the Rappers we have beaten the Sixers since twenty twenty two, Sixers had won seven straight against Toronto. Sixers could never really get in sync. It was a game ended, if this is the right way to put this, interrupted by ninety nine free throw attempts. The Sixers ended up with thirty two fouls and the Raptors had thirty four. Our postgame coverage is brought to you by Parks Casino. We want to thank Paul got here in Toronto. Back at the station, Matt Manerik and Sean Rodman. They're working alongside Matt Murphy and Murph Will. We'll throw it to you. As the Sixers fall to zero to two after a one point fifteen, one to oh seven defeat here to the Raptors.
Speaker 3: Ninety nine free throw attempts combine fifty three taken by the Sixers. They made forty in this eight point loss to Toronto and tom at one oh one. Number that I that I mentioned was the game against the Wizards in twenty seventeen, six Ers one by five, despite shooting forty one of sixty four from the line, which was below seventeen percent. Ben Simmons was fifteen for twenty nine from the free throw line.
Speaker 2: That's when they stack Brooks was their coach, and they employed that strategy and it kind of worked, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So, based on stat Muse's finding, since twenty ten, there have been ten games now eleven with ninety plus free throw attempts combined between both teams, and the Sixers have been involved in four of them at this point, four out of the eleven games with ninety plus, so ninety nine tonight. What went wrong for this version of the Sixers without Embiid and Paul George.
Speaker 2: Well, they couldn't. They shot thirty eight percent. They weren't getting good shots. MAXI went six of twenty three there. I mean, teams are doing a really good job in defending tyres and you know it's not like like I wouldn't say they're throwing like junk defenses around them, but you know, when you don't when you don't have Embiid and George. So that that was part of and then they just it seemed like they couldn't really get in any type of rhythm because I felt like, you know, certainly when it was five or seven throughout and the third quarter was brul there was no flow. There was so many whistles, and you know that's that's on the Sixers a little bit. You know, you got to be able to somehow establish yourself, and you felt like if the Sixers had a run, they could you know, carry some momentum into the into the fourth, into the latter stages of the game and win the game. But meanwhile, oh, by the way, Toronto built up a nineteen point lead between that before that little rally by the Sixers. So that's what I would say. And they got crushed on the glass right fifty four to twenty eight, and they got demonstrably outscored in the paint, and the Sixers, you know, so those are the bench for Toronto did better. So you know, Nick Nurse is still trying to establish who are the Sixers and this will not be a game to come up with that identity.
Speaker 3: Parks Casino postgame show after a one to fifteen to one OHO seven win for the Raptors over the Sixers in Toronto, Matt Murphy with Tom McGuinness, You just wonder how much the foul trouble early on, Like guys like Drummond and Caleb Martin who both started. Martin started in place of kJ Martin. So those guys pick up two three fouls and then all of a sudden, dem Bona's in the game, so you're already shorthanded. Then your rotation, which is still being determined, was kind of all mixed up early in this game. But now you get Indiana, who the Knicks just bounced back against them tonight one, twenty three, ninety eight. Haliburton didn't even play in the fourth quarter because it was so lopsided in the knicks favor and he didn't score. He went oh for seven from three to zero for eight from the floor. But they'll host the Sixers on Sunday. What do you think about this Indiana club coming off a great season.
Speaker 2: Yeah, or off a bad loss, yeah, right, and then coming home. So that's never good, right when a player of that caliber and All Star player, Olympian, you know, you just know he's probably not going to have two games like that. So yeah, no, it's tough, Like you know, going on the road's not easy at any point, but particularly when you know they Indiana feel like maybe they didn't have their best effort. Six Ers will stay the night, travel tomorrow and go and practice in Indiana because of the early star time that'll you know, preclude them from having a shoot around. So tomorrow they'll no doubt work on some things but also kind of go over the Pacers in terms of their scout before Indiana in that session late afternoon in Indianapolis.
Speaker 3: All right, well, they'll have to do it again without Embiid and Paul. George Benedict Mathern led the Pacers with twenty tonight, but they lost by twenty five to the New York Knicks, which had a really balanced effort. Four twenty point scorers the starting lineup for the Knicks tonight against those Pacers. But tom Againness, we'll talk to you on Sunday afternoon football Sunday featuring the Sixers and the Pacers.
Speaker 2: We'll talk to you then, all right, Murphy, and I just so you know, because we have Coach on the monitor when he comes up by me allowed you know, just jumping and clue you or pass along to that little program behind the sitings chatter here. But I can see where Coach is not there yet. I can also understand where he, you know, might be in the locker room a little bit. But so that we'll share with you. But I appreciate it, and uh take it from here. Here's coach. Well, hold on, hold on, because here comes coach Nurse. Now here's coach Nick Nurse.
Speaker 1: It's what do you think the biggest difference was to night.
Speaker 4: Uh, well, I think, uh, give, they out played us Keith, they did. You know, they just We're a little faster, a little better execution wise, a little bit better on the glass.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 4: I think I think that we showed a little little frustration early. Again, I'm not sure why. It's a long game, et cetera. We did get some you know, kind of early foul trouble with our bigs. It kind of we ended up being into some kind of different rotations. I mean, certainly unplanned, like uh several of them, played a lot of guys in the first half, just kind of trying to get to halftime and and felt we were pretty fortunate, you know that we got there where we did and we're okay, but just just execution and hard play.
Speaker 1: You get Tyree's going a little bit of the second game with uh, you know, poor shooting.
Speaker 4: Yep.
Speaker 1: Do you think it's a matter of trying to press a little bit.
Speaker 4: I don't know. I think I think tonight he certainly had some really good opportunities, right and it kind of a little bit like the other night. He hit the early and then then then you know, you think, okay, he's going to really roll and you're feeling really good about a shot selection and stuff, you know, for a couple of eight shot clocker turn arounds or whatever, but most of them were were pretty decent opportunities and just you know, we want them to take them.
Speaker 1: Yep. And I know, like you know right now, especially with you guys being under made, it's about finding the right line up into the combinations. Did you like that starting lineup that you.
Speaker 4: Had, And yeah, it was it was okay, Keith. I think again we didn't get to use it very long because Drum picked up two quick ones right and then we're then we were moving and then stuff like that. But again, I think that's going to be the challenge of trying to figure figure it out. But you know, we got to play better. We're just just just I just think our execution on the offensive end was really poor and our defensive execution was average at best.
Speaker 5: Nick, When when you're in Toronto, you had a pretty strong reputation of being able to shut down the other team's top players. Scotty Barnes obviously had had a big game tonight sort of what were the biggest challenges you found out they're facing them?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean I figured Scotty would have a good game after after the other game, first of all, and the big difference for him, we don't quite have the size at that position that he faced the other night. And you know, he likes to shoot over the top of guys and but you know, he did a little bit of everything. He got some jump shots off, but he had a lot of bracelet down the floor baskets. Felt like he shot a lot of free throws, but he got to the free throw line a lot. I mean, only took eleven shots and scored twenty seven points. That's pretty good. Yeah, Okay, thanks everybody.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there you go, Matt, all right, Nick Nurse after the loss to drop to zero and two on the new season, they fall in Toronto one point fifteen, one oh seven. Tom McGuinness, thanks so much for your time, and not much else to say from coach Nurse. They're just looking for that first win Sunday in Indiana. Thanks to Tom on site, and we'll have our game highs box score recap, stat of the game coming up on the other side after this eight point loss to the Toronto Raptors, who were also shorthanded. So and Beat and Paul George are on this trip with the Sixers. They did not play for the second straight game, but Toronto is without quickly RJ. Barrett and three others including Kelly o'lennock as well, and they get the better of the Sixers tonight on this Friday night, second game of the season for both Raptors improved to one and one after losing to Cleveland by thirty on Wednesday, and the Sixers have now lost to the Bucks and the Raptors to start the new season. But they'll be back Sunday afternoon, and we'll be back with plenty more to break down, including the audio highlights the calls of the game from Tom McGuinness on the other side. This is our Parks Casino postgame show.
Speaker 6: But you were listening to the Sixers Radio Network presented by Jackpot City Casino. They still Philadelphia seventy six Ers Postgame Show presented by Parks Casino.
Speaker 2: Back to double Oh Baby Love that chabb to Beat on the back down against Wipingoni Powers, Slabs of.
Speaker 6: The seventy six Ers post game show right now on ninety seven the.
Speaker 3: Fanatic seventy six Ers Postgame Show presented by Parks Casino. The final score in Toronto, the Raptors won fifteen the Sixers one oh seven in the second game of the twenty twenty four twenty five season for both teams. The Sixers without Embiid and Paul George are zero to two. The Raptors pick up their first win of the year and snap a seven game losing streak overall in the season regular season series against Philadelphia. They got swept last year by the Sixers in the four game series in the regular season, so that means it's the first win for their head coach against the Sixers, Darko Ryakovic. It's his second season leading the rebuilding Raptors. Scottie Barnes led them with twenty seven. Free throws were a big story in this one. The attempts number and where that sits historically will be a little teaser. Here are stat of the game in a second before the audio highlights. Kelly Oubre Junior led all scorers with twenty eight on the Sixer side of things, and Maxi had twenty four with ten of ten coming at the line on twelve attempts. Matt Murphy with the Parks Casino postgame show after the seventy six Ers second game Scottie Barnes in that twenty seven point effort, he went eleven for thirteen compared to Maxi's ten for twelve from the free throw line, but Tyrese Maxi shot just six of twenty three, so back to back shooting games for Maxi in which he would have liked to do a lot better. Two of twelve from three for Tyrese Maxey, who had five fouls three Sixers had five thousand this one, hence all the free throws. Three Raptors fouled out of the game all together, so that led to what amounted to our stat of the game, ninety nine free throw attempts can It's the second most combined free throw attempts in a single game since at least twenty ten, and the most was the Sixers and the Wizards at one oh one in a twenty seventeen game in which Ben Simmons went fifteen for twenty nine from the foul line and the Sixers went forty one for sixty four as a team. Sixteen point seven percent, So they came close to that number tonight against the Raptors. And let's hear how it all played out in Toronto, the Sixers and the Raptors in Game two, as called by Tom McGuinness. Starting lineup for the Sixers two changes from the first game Wednesday against the Bucks. It was Kyle Lowry in the backcourt in place of Eric Gordon, starting alongside Maxi, and then Caleb Martin replaced kJ Martin at power forward, joining Kelly Oubre Junior and Andre Drummond. Five Raptors were out tonight. No Embiid or Paul George left the injury management for Embiid a left knee bone bruise for Paul George. Tyrese Maxi had a strong first quarter. He would get double digits plus thirteen in the first quarter. And here's three on an and one courtesy of Kyle Lowry.
Speaker 2: Maxi with the other right side to Kyle give and go, Maxi trying to get into the corner. Nessels just shot up, gets the roll and go to a foul on a Gabaji. So that was a bit of a force on a give and go, but Lowry gave it right back to Maxi. Maxi got into the short corner, got into a difficult angle baseline right behind the backboard, but was able to get that shot to go and he goes to the line for what could be a three point play.
Speaker 3: Toronto was up at that time, but Maxi would hit consecutive right wing threes shortly after in this first quarter. And he also had a really nice pass on this play. Drives center of the paint and throws it around his back with the right hand out to Ubre and the left corner.
Speaker 2: Here's Maxi for three. Fernando's come to the game over Moorlands, Maryland stand out. Now Ubra in the corner from three, and that's good max He went behind the bat our Ticketmaster assists of the game as Kelly Oubra gets his first field goal. Okay with that now the Raptors take a timeout. Toronto by one twenty three twenty two, but Uber.
Speaker 3: Ended up with twelve first half points. But he finished with a game high twenty eight points on nine of seventeen, shooting three for six from three and seven for eight at the line. Maxi's twenty four points run six of twenty three shooting two for twelve from three and ten for twelve at the line. That was one of his team high tying four assists. Caleb Martin also had four assists with five rebounds and eleven points as a starter for the Sixers. They were down one to the Raptors after the Ubra three, but they would lead the Raptors by one heading to the second quarter. Thirty one thirty foul try was a big deal. Drummond In, Yaba Celli, and Caleb Martin all had two fouls before you could even look. Martin picked up his third early in the second quarter, which led to first half minutes for Jared McCain, but he didn't score night He only played four minutes of dem Bona also appeared for a minute in the first quarter. Actually, Yakab Peardl the starting center for Toronto, which the Raptors had to overcome eight first quarter turnovers. They kept at a one point game. And here's a smooth drive by o Chai Abaji and sets up Yakab Peardle to put the Raptors ahead.
Speaker 2: Purdle with it, Pearl Levana and Ya boose Lake turns slays it up and ribbing good. Such a big player, little awkward with that pirouet into paint, but it worked.
Speaker 3: Put them up by six I should say forty six forty. The feed from Abaji would put them up ten to Peardle fifty to forty moments later. Pardle ends with nineteen points, nine rebounds, four blocks. So after the the Bucks blocked the Sixers nine times on Wednesday. In the opener, the Raptors block thirteen Sixers shots in this one, four for Perdle, four for Chris Bouchet off the bench as well, and the last bucket of the first half belonged to Andre Drummond, but late in the half they started fouling him intentionally, so Hakka Drummond was in effect for Darko Ryakovic and the Raptors coaching staff, so he put a little extra on this put back.
Speaker 2: Slam MAXI with a ball on the perimeter, handa well beyond the yard three no good as block. Caleb Martin gets it Max. He beats the shot clock. Grim Me Nod remount slam a jam by Andre Drummond and the Sixers naked sixty two fifty four.
Speaker 3: That was sixty two to fifty six was the score at halftime. After the Drummond put back to put two more on the board for the Sixers, but the Raptors had the lead at halftime and in the third quarter. These teams would match each other evenly. Had only twenty one points a piece, but it included Scottie Barnes and this scoop shot on a night where he led the home team in scoring.
Speaker 2: Barnes one on one, pounding, pounding, still dribbling that ball. Politics did it on the right side. Fucker hand, right hand scoop. He did it. Won a play by Barnes, Like I said, looked like he was gonna dribble away the possession. But he's now five of six in an underhand scoop up the glass on Matchie Goes, he's got fifteen. They're up by four.
Speaker 3: Eighty seventy six. Drummond, by the way, on the sixer side, finished with eleven points, nine rebounds, so one board shy of a double double four. Andre Drummonds, starting for Embiid. Barnes meanwhile, went for a team high twenty seven, just one shy of oubre for a game best on eight of eleven, shooting zero for two from deep, and those thirteen free throw attempts, making eleven. Scotty Barnes, the former Rookie of the Year, signed a MAX contract extension the off season, twenty seven points to lead Toronto and then it was a lesser known player in the fourth quarter, as after the evenly played third, the Raptors took an eighty three to seventy seven lead into the fourth and one of the many rookies who appeared for the Raptors tonight, I mean Jamal shed the Houston Cougars alum eleven points for him off the bench. Jonathan Mobo, a rookie from the University of San Francisco, had twelve points, nine rebounds, five assists, three blocks, and two steals for Toronto, but another rookie and double figures off the bench. Toronto started the fourth quarter on a nine to two run Jamison battle a six to sixth rookie the left hander lines up the three on the right wing.
Speaker 2: Cart cashes to pearl pearl outside right battle for three oh sexisdeed a time up Shamison battle the former Buckeye. The young Raptors are shocking the sixers ninety two to seventy.
Speaker 3: Nine Jamison battle the former Buckeye. Last season, two years at the University of Minnesota before that, two years in the Atlantic, ten at George Washington University before that, a five year college player, and coming out of that time out, he wasn't done. Jamison Battle would go on to add another three an and one right after to put the Raptors up ninety eight seventy nine, their largest lead of the night, and then he filed out, So quite the exciting night for the rookie Battle of Toronto. Twelve point six rebounds, those clutch shots on both sides of the timeout, and he had six personal thousand just fifteen minutes off the bench for number seventy seven. Jamison Battle and the Raptors go on to beat the Sixers one fifteen, one oh seven in a game that featured almost one hundred free throws attempted ninety nine between the two teams, fifty three for the Sixers making forty and forty six for the Raptors making thirty nine of those. So they Sixers lose by eight. They missed thirteen free throws tonight. It was pretty spread out. I mean, Drummond went three for eight, so the fouling situation was somewhat effective and played a part in this game, but altogether just not a good enough effort for the Sixers without Embiid and Paul George against the short handed Raptors in Toronto. That'll be it for our seventy six Ers postgame show presented by Parks Casino. The final score Toronto won fifteen, Philadelphia one oh seven. Thanks to our producers Matt Manaik and Sean Rodman, Thanks of course to Tom McGuinness on the call. The next Sixers game is Sunday afternoon in Indianapolis three thirty Eastern against the Pacers, and our coverage here on the Sixers Radio Network presented by Jackpot City Casino, begins at three twenty. Until then, I'm Matt Murphy saying thanks so much for listening, Have a great start to your weekend.
Speaker 2: Take care,