Speaker 1: Hey, guys, ready or not, twenty twenty four is here and we here at breaking points, are already thinking of ways we can up our game for this critical election.
Speaker 2: We rely on our premium subs to expand coverage, upgrade the studio ad staff, give you, guys, the best independent coverage.
Speaker 3: That is possible.
Speaker 2: If you like what we're all about, it just means the absolute world to have your support. But enough with that, let's get to the show.
Speaker 3: Good morning, everybody, Happy Thursday.
Speaker 2: We have an amazing show for everybody today. What do we have, Bristal, Indeed we do.
Speaker 1: There is a lot to talk about this morning. So as we appreviewed for you last night a just utterly disastrous attempt to launch his presidential campaign for Rondo Santis last night on Twitter, had a bit of a better outing on Fox. We've got somebody the highlights of that, so we will bring you that as well and discuss the whole situation. We also have the reaction from Donald Trump, who of course is not going to let him get off easy for any of the missteps and disastrous technical glitches that he suffered through. Along with Elon Musk, we also have some big updates this morning for you on debt ceiling negotiations, Kevin McCarthy saying they are getting close to a deal. We will see. We also wanted to take a look, you know, yourre a year out from Uvaldi, who has been held accountable. Very few, very few of the officers that stood by as kids were literally bleeding out in those classrooms, So we'll take a look at that. And also listen, you called it in particular, but we both called it in terms of who actually was behind those drone strikes in the Kremlin Lo and behold. Three weeks later, US intelligence agencies are saying, well, it was Ukraine. But Zillinske didn't you want to have any I yeah, he's just totally in the dark there about what's going on. I'm also excited to have Skanda Emernath on to talk about the debt ceiling with the Treasury could do before we get to any of that, though, Thank you so much to our new premium subscribers were helping us so much to build out this new set. Pieces of it are starting to arrive. Actually, the monitors exciting.
Speaker 2: I did not know they even made monitors this big. It is the biggest hell of the I saw the box. How is this delivered literally in an eighteen wheeler. So yeah, it's getting pretty exciting. Things are cool. We're only two weeks out or so from when we began the initial build and then the debut, So if you guys can help us out Breakingpoints dot Com. We've been in communication with the RFK Junior campaign, the Marian campaign for Vek Ramaswami, Tim Scott, Nikki Haley, the Trump campaign, all of these people. All of them have expressed interests on coming on the show and scheduling specifically on the new set. So that's what you guys are enabling and helping us to do. The set is definitely a great selling point, if you will, in terms of getting them in here and sitting down for a long conversation. So if you like that format and if you want to continue that, breakingpoints dot Com become a premium subscriber today.
Speaker 3: But let's go ahead and get to DeSantis.
Speaker 2: By the way, I also have sent a message to the Desantas campaign and still waiting on a callback.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they've been in touch. It may be hard to get uh Ron, we'll see, but we put in our requests and his team is interested in coming on a panels and things like that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we'll see, yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, okay, so let's start with what exactly happened last night as we previewed for you, he made the unusual decision Ron DeSantis did to launch his campaign on Twitter spaces. Well apparently I never used Twitter spaces before, but apparently the platform is beset with issues. Under the best of circumstances, when you add in more than half a million people trying to join to listen to what the man had to say, it ended up being an utter catastrophe. They went twenty five minutes of the thing crashing and people not being able to get in, and no one being able to be heard and various like hushed whispers on a hot mic before they pulled the plug on the original spaces Ron Desanta's left altogether. They had to launch a new one before they could even get to the substance of what his campaign announcement was. We have a little taste of what that all sounded like last night.
Speaker 4: Take a listen, please introduced to individuals who've done more to loosen the All right, sorry about that. We've got so many people here that I think we are We are kind of melting the servers, which is a good sign.
Speaker 2: So I just keep crashing him.
Speaker 5: I think we've got just a massive number of people online, so it's serve as restraining somewhat, all right, We're just reallocating more service capability to be able to handle the load here. It's really going crazy.
Speaker 4: And I think we melted the internet there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was insane.
Speaker 6: Sorry.
Speaker 5: We actually doing this from David TeX's Twitter account because it looks like doing it from mine basically broke the Twitter system.
Speaker 4: Governor Santas can are you there?
Speaker 6: Can you hear us?
Speaker 1: I think you're baking right here.
Speaker 4: I know, I think I think you broke the internet there. We had over half a million people in one Twitter space and it was growing by like fifty thousand a minute. So congrats on I'm breaking the internet there.
Speaker 5: Well yeah, yeah, I mean he tries some you know, new things you're gonna does. It's adventurous, so.
Speaker 2: Yes, okay, So we did an entire twenty minute video yesterday breaking down not only the launch, but one of the reasons why I thought it was a huge mistake to actually do that as a launch, because it was plotting, it was long, it was scripted.
Speaker 3: There was no production to it.
Speaker 2: I just think he would have been ten times better off putting out a traditional Twitter video, which he did at exactly six pm Eastern last night, and then doing the damn rally, of which you control the optics, all of it. We would have covered it, The networks would have covered it. He gets to control the elements. You know, that's a produced piece of content which then could be rolling on every single screen this morning.
Speaker 3: Unfortunately for him, that's not what happened.
Speaker 2: And ironically, I hate being in the business of praising cable news, but you know, at the very least like their stuff doesn't break constantly. And DeSantis sat for a long interview live interview with former Congressman Trey Goudi on the Fox News Tonight Show yesterday around eight Eastern, and honestly, it was way better. Not only was it not the set of glitches, there was more of a pacing not only to his answers, but to the questions themselves.
Speaker 3: They delved into quite a bit of territory.
Speaker 2: The first and foremost was actually a question was begging them to ask on Twitter. I was like, hey, Electability, how are you going to beat Trump? DeSantis lays out his case of electability here. Here's what he had to say.
Speaker 7: Are there policy differences or is it more about electability and how you would implement those policies even if you agree on them.
Speaker 8: Well, why now? I think it's because the country's going in the wrong direction. We have another four years of the Biden administration. I think some of the damage is going to be irreversible. Why me, Well, I think what we've been able to do in Florida is two things. One, we've had mprecedented policy success. All the things that we believe as Republicans or as conservatives for many, many years, We've been able to take those values and those principal and actually turn them into reality.
Speaker 7: Do you plan all participating in all the debates and would you have a word of council for any candidates that were maybe equivocating on whether or not to participate in all the debates.
Speaker 8: I think we should debate. I think the people want to hear it. You know, I grew up blue collar, working minimum wage jobs and learned nobody's entitled to anything in this world trade. You've got to earn it, and I think all of us have to go out and earn it. That's exactly what I intend to do, and I think the debates are a big part.
Speaker 3: Of the process. A couple big takeaways.
Speaker 2: So on a meta level, his message to GOP primary voters is Trump said it, I will actually do it. Florida is booming open for business. Nobody has entitled to it.
Speaker 3: You have to earn it.
Speaker 2: So overall, I actually think those are you know, decent compelling points. The question is why is that compelling to enough of the GOPP.
Speaker 1: Very base well, and it's also an argument that sits very uneasily with the disastrous launch that he had because of your case, is he tweets about it, I get it done, and then you're unable to even effectively get done your own campaign launch. And not just the technical glitches, which you know he should have foreseen. They should have been asking some really hard questions to make sure this platform was up to snuff. But also, you know, audio sounds like crap on Twitter space. It always sounds like crap on Twitter spaces people. You know, I can say this as someone who people complain about my voice being annoying. His voice is annoying too. So if you just have the audio and you don't have music and staging and visuals and everything to back it up. It's a very hollow and sort of it really makes you appear smaller. He was like a panelist in this conversation and he just read his like standard stump speech.
Speaker 3: That's why it was a mistake.
Speaker 1: So you know, if your core pitch, which I think there are two problems with the electability and I'm the guy that can get it done pitch, which is number one, it's not clear to me that that's what the GOP base is really after. But number two, they also are already not convinced that you're more electable than Trump. And that Harvard Harris poll that came out just this week the voters were divided in the Republican primary about who was actually going to be more likely to defeat Joe Biden. So you already are not really having a strong case there on electability. And then when you have these kinds of disastrous issues on your campaign with your very first start, which were foreseeable, then you know that you're going to take a hit there. And by the way, you're up against the guy in Donald Trump, who was going to make you pay for every mistake. Honestly, if it was just the media being like, ah, you know, mocking DeSantis for this. I think he could overcome that because I think voters, especially in the Republican case Perry skeptic, they hate the media. If you're getting attacked by the media, maybe that's a good thing. Donald Trump is not going to let you get off easy. And the other thing that I would say, putting the technical glitches aside on the substance and the contrast between DeSantis and Trump. Trump is hitting DeSantis on wanting to raise taxes, on wanting to cut Social Security and Medicare. It is largely a very bread and butter focused attack DeSantis. It's no accident that his strongest base of support in the Republican Party is among college educated voters because he fixates on these you know ESG and DEI and the Chevron defense, these things that are important to some sliver of the Republican base, But most people are just trying to know, like what are my taxes going to be? And am I going to be able to survive? And are you going to get inflation under control? So I think Trump has also staked down a much more effective position in terms of the actual substance of the issue set that he's focused on.
Speaker 2: I agree, And that's another reason why I thought that the Fox interview was better is that here he actually did have an answer on the economy and specifically tried to speak to the bread and butter at the kitchen table issue.
Speaker 8: Here's what you have to say, So you need to spend less money. You also need to expand domestic energy production. Energy costs contribute to inflation. We have an abundance of resources here that this president doesn't want to use, so we will reverse Biden's energy policies very quickly. But we also need a federal reserve. It's going to focus on maintaining a stable dollar.
Speaker 2: So he's going after the Federal Reserve specifically for printing money, which is an interesting attack because that's the second time he brought it up at the very end of the Twitter spaces. I thought it was interesting to see this new political candidate come out specifically against the FED and kind of combining it with the Biden message.
Speaker 3: Now will that work?
Speaker 2: I'm actually not so sure. I don't think most people know how the FED works at all. It's corant, esoteric, yeah.
Speaker 1: You know, I mean, listen, we talk about it a lot here. So I'm not saying that that isn't an important issue. God knows it is is one of the most important issues in terms of how economy is actually doing. But you know, the way that you talk about that has to be accessible. And if you're going into esoteria about how the FED functions and you know, how they contribute to the stability of the dollar, and people are not directly connecting that to their lives and their ability to like make ends meet at the end of the month. And so again, I think it's no surprise that he has found his strongest base of support among college educated Republicans who have the luxury, who are more affluent and have the luxury of worrying about these niche concerns over you know, if there's ESG backing in their portfolio and what's going on with colleges and some of the sort of like super online lingo that Ron DeSantis casually threw cryptocurrency and these sorts of concerns that were casually thrown around in particular in the Twitter spaces. And Elon Musk also is like the patron saint of that part of the Republican base. So you know, I think you saw even putting the technical glitches aside, some of the challenges and hurdles that DeSantis has to overcome in this primary.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I agree.
Speaker 2: This is why it's difficult because I'm like, yeah, I actually care a lot about those issues, but I'm not an idiot. I would never run on them if I was running from Congress, right.
Speaker 3: So it's one of those.
Speaker 2: Where we can both think that issues and areas are important and understand their siliens to overall voters and what they look at. And I think that is, in my estimation, one of the bigger miscalculations on what he chose his time to focus.
Speaker 1: On way too online.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then the bottoms of the political interest now in terms of what political like may come for backlash of him, his answer on abortion will likely be one of the most important answers that he gave.
Speaker 3: So let's go ahead and roll this.
Speaker 2: Whenever he was asked about abortion on Fox, here's what he had to say.
Speaker 8: Well, I've been proud as governor to stand for a culture of life, and I think all Republicans need to do that. As you alluded to, we were able to sign legislation protecting onboard child with a detectable heartbeat, and we think that that's a humane thing to do. And it's similar to what Governor Reynolds did in Iowa, and I.
Speaker 3: Applaud her for that.
Speaker 8: Dobbs returned the issue to the elected representatives of the people, and so I think that there's role for both the federal and the states.
Speaker 3: Strategic shout out there to the governor of Iowa.
Speaker 2: I'm sure he just plucked her name out of the plucked her name out of Hattans this one, Governor.
Speaker 3: We're just gonna go to make sure. So not an idiot there.
Speaker 2: But overall, we have shown you here before in a primary it may not matter, it will certainly matter in the general election. The other answer we don't have. We're not going to play it for everybody. But was on Ukraine, and this actually kind of gets to you're what you're discussing, Crystal, and this is actually just more of a training issue. He was specifically asked by Trey Goudie, what are you going to do about Ukraine, and his answer was our military has become to politicize. We need to get away from focusing on woke issues back to commitment. I'm going to increase recruitment. Oh and in terms of what's going on in Eastern Europe, I would like to see a settlement. I'm like, dude, he asked you specifically about Ukraine, Like, what specifically do you think Trump? Look, I mean, it's certainly a talking point, but Trump is like, I want the dying to stop, and I'm going to try and bring it to an end within twenty or he says, I will bring it to an end within twenty four hours. He has absolutely floated negotiation and basically everything on the table.
Speaker 3: Do you agree with the leading candidate for president?
Speaker 2: Like, what is your differentiated do you have the same position on Ukraine, a different position on you.
Speaker 3: What do you think about what's going on right now?
Speaker 1: Yeah, the abortion answer you note there, He says, I think there's a role for state and federal, which I actually think. Listen, in a GOP primary, his abortion position is no problem with anything. It's an asset and he thinks that, you know, he can get to the right of Trump on a handful of issues. He also talked a lot about COVID in the Twitter spaces. I don't know if that came up as much in the Tree Goudy interview. But he's still trying to hang his hat on Florida's COVID policies, which of course are popular in a Republican primary. I just think people have really moved on from that issue. It had a lot more salience, you know, a year or a year and a half ago. So that's one piece on abortion again. I think it's fine for him in a Republican primary. It does kind of dent his electability case, and it has made donors, some donors very uneasy about backing him, because, look, they don't care about the issue of abortion per se, but they do care about whether this man is going to be able to win the White House, and they've seen what a potent issue this has become for Democrats. Ukraine is sort of the same deal. He has a challenge here to navigate because what the donors want to hear on Ukraine is different from what the base wants to hear. That's why he instead of taking that question head on from Trey Goudi, he went into his side, you know, his pet issue of like wokeness, which she applies to literally everything, and then gives this one little sort of safe practice line at the end in order to actually answer the question that Trey Gowdy was asking, and it's because he's in a difficult position put it, trying to put together the coalition that he needs to be able to win, and Ukraine is one of the issues where that coalition is most divided.
Speaker 3: I agree.
Speaker 2: And also in terms of Fox, they were actually very salty about being snubbed by DeSantis because.
Speaker 3: He did his announcement there and not on Fox.
Speaker 2: Yet they took their opportunity to go after Elon pretty hard.
Speaker 3: Go and put this up there on the screen.
Speaker 2: They said that they were aggressively hyping much high presidential DeSantis. A disaster on Twitter was the headline on Fox. And then go to a seven Games.
Speaker 1: They have a picture of Elon there, not even Rondo Santis, and the caption says amateur hour, So.
Speaker 3: Culture hour not good.
Speaker 2: Go to the next one and you can see that the banner that was actually on foxnews dot com during the Twitter spaces was if you want to hear what actually actually hear and see Ron Desanta's tune into Fox News at eight pm Eastern time. So look, I'm not in the business of cheering on cable news. I wish for their demise, but you know, if you're going to come at the King, you best not miss, and I think there certainly was a miss whenever it came to this. Overall, I think it's like you said, Crystal, it remains to be seen. So we are going to talk a little bit about his plans and all that, But in terms of the headlines for the candidate, it was bungled, just simply because I've checked every single outlet save for the New York Post is talking about the issue with the launch and listen. You know, the way that I've heard some of the response from the pro DeSantis people is like, yeah, but if you listen to his answers, like they're great on policy, It's like, what are you an Elizabeth Warren fan?
Speaker 7: Now?
Speaker 2: Like this seriously, like this this is serious. Warren vibes like in terms of oh, but he's so listen. I care a lot about the pop like you said, I care a lot about YESG. I care a lot about di But I'm not going to say that I'm sitting here and I'm the prototypical Republican voter because I'm not out of touch. And I think that was the issue is that people are transposing like themselves into how this is going to play with people who have no they don't follow politics day in and day out the way you and I do. You or even frankly, if you listen to this show every day, you're in the top one percent of political media consumption. You know, the vast majority of people are just like, huh, just now that they could Florida guy. You know, it's like, that's just not really how it all lands. So for remember that things that may seem normal to you are really not normal at all whenever you hear them, you know, whenever you hear them outside of that vacuum of the Internet.
Speaker 1: It's a very wind track candidacy, and even putting the glitches aside, if you listen to the substance and the content of what they were focusing on, which was overwhelmingly not bread and butter issues. It was the culture war issues that you know, he has used to make a name for himself, no doubt. You can see why this has appealed to the audience that it does within the Republican base, and you can also see why that appeal has been limited.
Speaker 9: Now.
Speaker 1: I think there continues to be a lot of affection for the man within the Republican base. I think no one hears like writing them off like it's over for him and that's the end of the story. You never know. These Republican primaries are long, but you only get one chance to have this focus on your campaign, and it's when you launch and you can control every aspect of it. And Canada's spend a lot of time and a lot of money thinking about what this is going to look like, what they're going to present to the public, exactly what they're going to say, how they're going to message it, and it was the whole thing was a terrific conception from the start, which does call in a question his judgment. I think there's no doubt about it. So, you know, on the sort of overall takeaway here, I think you don't get the bump in the polls that even a Nikki Haley got with her campaign launch. And there's also a lesson here maybe for all of us of you don't have to reinvent the wheel. There's a reason why Canada launched the way they do, because it's effective. He didn't raise nearly as much money as they, I'm sure thought he was going to raise.
Speaker 2: It was about a million dollars in an hour, which is not bad, but as you and I know, a lot of these are pre arranged donations.
Speaker 1: Right, he was, and this is also painful. He went straight from his various appearances to a fundraiser at the Four Seasons Hotel in Miami. Donors were sitting there listening to this whole thing unfold on audio before he shows up at the fundraiser. So yeah, he had a lot of this lined up for a top candidate like this, A million dollars is really not that impressive. And they went on Twitter spaces from having with the original one that they had to bail out of having over half a million people listening to having half of that at its peak when they were able to actually ramp it up and get the thing going again. You just don't get those chances over again. You don't get this moment where the media is completely focused on you and hanging on your every word and analyzing what you're doing. You just don't get those moments back. So is it a campaign endor?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 1: Is this a real blow for him at a time when he was already kind of struggling in the polls. There's just no doubt about it.
Speaker 3: That's the way I would put it.
Speaker 2: So let's go to the second part here and just talk about like if he's going to rescue himself, how he's going to do it. Well, we've talked here before about the early ground game. Let's go and put this up there on the screen. This is a peak very much into his overall plan. So the DeSantis pro DeSantis super pac is planning on spending two hundred million dollars in a voter outreach push all across New Hampshire, Nevada, South Carolina, and Iowa. And the reason why, Crystal is they believe that with the small number of voters in those states, those early primary states, that with the right amount of money recruiting the right number of people door knockers, that they can go and hire twenty six hundred field or organizers by Labor Day and knock on any potential DeSantis voter four or five times on the door door. So if you have anyway expressed this and you live in any of these states, good luck to.
Speaker 3: You buy a ring door or something. You're in for it. But it's your own fault though, because you expressed it.
Speaker 1: Rob is going to pass your door.
Speaker 3: A doorstep rob and.
Speaker 2: His people are going to be at your doorstep. But overall, I actually do think this is a smart play. So he's got what is DeSantis' core strength, He's got a ton of money, He's got more name ID than anybody else. If there is any person in this race who poses any threat to Trump at all, it is Ron DeSantis.
Speaker 3: So what does he need?
Speaker 2: He needs good earned media, great headlines to give voters post early states the permission to vote for him.
Speaker 3: He has to win Iowa or New Hampshire. I think there's no question.
Speaker 2: If he does not win either of those states, I think he's absolutely done for his plan. If there is such a thing that could work, is Iowa or New Hampshire. Maybe a number two finish or a number one finish in South Carolina, decent showing in Nevada, and then a forty fifty percent showing half and half and Super Tuesday where you steam into the Florida Primary. You give Floridian is the opportunity to put you up over the over Trump in both of your own home states. That gives you credibility going into the race, and it's going to be a race all the way to the convention.
Speaker 3: That's the only.
Speaker 2: Possible kind of map where that you can look at for a way this is going to work. But it's all predicated have to win one of those two first states, no question about it.
Speaker 1: Maggie Haberman is reporting, among others this morning he's planning a four day swaying through twelve cities in early States next week. You know, the part of the contrast they want to strike with both Trump and Biden is the generational.
Speaker 3: Contrast forty four.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it is smart, but you know, even though Trump is no spring Chicken, there just aren't the same age concerns about him as there are with Biden. And you know, Nikki Haley has really tried to make this case as well with her whole like competency test for people who are at the age of seventy or whatever. Her line in the sand was there, and I just don't know that it lands in the Republican primary the way that it lands with overall voters in terms of concerns about Joe Biden, because people age in very different ways, and there's just no sign that Trump is really slowing down or any real demonstrated concerns about his energy level or just like technical competence to handle the job. So I'm not sure it's as effective an attack on Trump as it is on Biden, or that those concerns exist in the same way. But this is the strategy you have to employ. I do think his you know, some of his cultural right positions, in particular on abortion. I think they help him in a state like Iowa. Iowa's very grass roots, it's very hands on. They expect to hear directly from the candidate and from the candidate surrogates. They are rolling out in operation. We'll see how effective it is after this Twitter launch, but they're rolling out a large operation to try to reach voters directly, and you know, potentially this is the way that if he's able to overcome the odds in Iowa and take that early state, maybe that does cause other voters nationwide to take another look at him and reconsider whether they're going to stick with Trump. We're going to talk a little bit more about Trump's response to DeSantis, but you know, he also continues in both the Twitter spaces and the interviews that he gave later on, he didn't say Trump's name, and I understand why. Right again, this is the prisoner's dilemma issue here. He takes these little jabs about you know, if any everybody's got to earn it there, no one should be entitled to anything in this world. He says to Trey Goudy about you know, the expectations. That's about Trump floating that he may not debate. But are you really giving people enough to move off of a guy that they really like, that they've put in office before. So yeah, some of them love him, are committed to him. Ninety percent of the Republican base at least likes him and has affection for him, and likes generally his policy positions and his plans, et cetera. I don't think that he has given voters enough to move off of the guy that they already like. Now, maybe Chris Christy comes in as a torpedo or somebody else does the dirty work for him. That's probably the best thing that he and these other candets get home.
Speaker 3: That's why I think Trump's not going to go to the debate.
Speaker 2: If it was just DeSantis on his own, then it would it would actually look terrible for him not to come. But if DeSantis is on a stage with vike Ramaswamy, with Nicki Haley, with Chris Christy, with Christian Nunu, with Asa Hutchinson and all these other people.
Speaker 1: Then and they're going to be taking shots at him bingo and they already are shots at him.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean just last night I saw for a Viake Ramaswami going after DeSantis has scripted candidate Nicki Haley made fun of him for his failed launch. Tim Scott and all of them are absolutely taking notice. So if DeSantis looks like one of many against Trump, then he fails. When he looks like the only alternative to Trump, then he's going to see or he k has the possibility to succeed. Trump is having an absolute field day with this one. He's having the most fun online that he's probably had in a long time. His team put together, uh this video which shows a SpaceX rocket falling on its side and exploding with Aron DeSantis logo that has been rejiggered as a JEB logo.
Speaker 3: Here's what they put out on Twitter.
Speaker 1: You know, I didn't even pick up on the JEB expoation.
Speaker 2: On first thing I saw, I was like, that's the JEB stroke. Look, you got to give it to Trump in him and his people they're good trolls. Let's put this next one. You and I did not like this particular one. This was his first reaction. Rob My red button is bigger, better, stronger, and is working truth Yours does not per my conversation with Kim John Goud of North Korea. He's referencing I guess his red button that was in reference to the fire and fury. But he has redeemed himself, I think with some pretty hilarious videos that have since been put out. They've got one that was distributed by the campaign. This is more of a policy focused one. Let's go ahead and take a listen to this.
Speaker 10: Twenty sixteen. President Trump defeats the Liberals and heads to Washington to train the swamp, but swamp creature Ron DeSantis is about to start his third term in Congress, and he's already voted repeated to cut Social Security and Medicare. Twenty seventeen. Trump passes huge tax cuts for nearly everyone, and Ron DeSantis he's pushing a bill that would swap those tax cuts for a new twenty three percent national sales tax, making families paid more. Twenty eighteen, Trump is building the wall, securing the border, fighting the invasion, while Ron DeSantis is voting against funding for Trump's wall in Washington. One was a leader and one let us down.
Speaker 3: So what can you see from there? One was a leader, one let us down.
Speaker 2: They're having a much more policy case that they're prosecuting, and that's why I actually think their two pronged attack has been smart. They've both been trying to hit him on Trump is the real person on immigration. Also, this didn't escape some commentary, but it did not escape me. DeSantis actually pledged to finish the border wall in Fox interview last night. I was like, that's smart because it's one of the most common critiques that I hear from MAGA Republicans who support to Santans's like DeSantis actually believes and is going to do what Trump said he was going to do. But Trump is hitting DeSantis on a social security medicare case, on a immigration case, on a Ukraine case, and then also from a humorous trolling case like he did against Ted Cruz.
Speaker 1: And marcovi postercase.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly, So those two things together, I actually think that's you know, that's pretty potent.
Speaker 3: I think it's going to be effective.
Speaker 1: Trump's attacks and his issue said are in my view, much smarter and more strategic. You know, I mean Ron DeSantis. First of all, he won't even say Trump's name. I mean, that's part of the asymmetry of this dynamic is Trump throws everything at disantas. I mean, we've seen probably like fifty different types of attacks against DeSantis. Just throws everything against the wall, fair, unfair, in between, and sees what sticks. But the most consistent things they seem to be leaning into are Medicare and social Security maybe number one. I mean I hear that from Trump and from his team very often. And now we also have this new hit on DeSantis wanting to raise the sales tax. This is like the fair tax stuff that routinely comes up in Republican libertarian circles that would raise sales tax a massive amount across the board for everyone. So and they're hitting him on immigration, which DeSantis is trying to do, but he has to do it in this oblique, passive, aggressive way where you don't even mention Trump or your actual critique of him. And that's obviously a core issue for the Republican base as well. So it seems to me like Trump is focused on issues that are of much higher importance and resonance to a broader swath not just of the Republican base, but of the country at large than Ron DeSantis is. Who's running this more sort of like niche online campaign.
Speaker 2: And this is all reflected in the polling. Our team has made some graphics on this. Let's put this up there on the screen. This is from the latest poll that you can see just first choice amongst Republican primary voters in a multi candidate field. What can you see Trump at a majority fifty three percent, DeSantis only at twenty six percent. Let's go to the next one there, guys, because this one is important when it says Trump is my first choice, but I would consider then you have Ron DeSantis as the overwhelming second choice candidate above Tim Scott, Nikki Haley, and Larry Elder.
Speaker 3: I always forget Larry Elders considering.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I forgot about it. It's the officially in Are you just considering I'm.
Speaker 2: Not sure I have a soft spot for Larry after the California recall. Let's go to the next one up there on the screen. Are you satisfied with the current field of Republican candidates? Seventy three percent say they are fairly satisfied, eighteen percent say very seven percent say not at all, So that as actually a very important figure. This reminds me of a ton of the analysis that we used to do back in the day on the Early Rising shows, where we were talking about Bernie Sanders. Voters second choices were usually Joe Biden and Elizabeth Warren, and Biden's second choices were often Bernie Sanders and then Elizabeth Warren. The key point was that being a number two second choice candidate is often just as powerful in a multi candidate field because it shows that you have lasting power and it means that you are really the only other alternative. At that time, in our opinion, it was really just a Biden and a Burnie race. He probably should have treated it that way if he wanted to win. But yeah, that's all spoiled.
Speaker 3: Milk out of the bridge.
Speaker 2: Now though, we're in a time where all candidates who are not named Rond de Santis, your target is Rond de Santis, including Trump and then everybody else. Then for Ron DeSantis, your target is everybody else and Donald Trump.
Speaker 3: It's a very very difficult Uh, it's a very difficult needle. To thread. The other problem is Trump.
Speaker 2: Is sitting at fifty three percent, that is a near outright majority. It once again just shows me like he has got to really prove himself in these early states, because otherwise, if he comes in second in all three of the or all four of the earlies before Super Tuesday, he's done. He's absolutely dead in the water. And I think that's the that's the problem. He's got to have great headlines and give the other fifty percent a reason to coalesce around him.
Speaker 3: It's the only way that this is going to work out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and there's another new Quinnipiac poll that's out just this morning that shows Trump expanding his lead over de Santis versus their last poll in the field. And you know, I think it's always important to look directionally where these poles are headed, because any one of them, I mean, they've been all over the map, they've been wrong in every direction, et cetera. So you should also always take them with a grain of salt. But when you see all of the polls moving in one direction, you can look at that and say, okay, there is some movement here. Do we know exactly what the absolute numbers are? So Trump now at fifty six percent support among Republican and Republican leaning voters. DeSantis second at twenty five percent. That is a significant improvement for Trump over the last time they took this poll back at the end of March, when he received forty seven percent and DeSantis received thirty three percent, So he has significantly widened his margin there. I also, you know, we were talking early about whether the age of candidates, whether it was the same hit on Trump as it is for Biden, and they actually ask that question this poll as well. So sixty five percent of all voters think Biden is too old to effectively serve. With Trump, the numbers are almost reversed. Fifty nine percent think Trump is not too old to effectively serve, only thirty six percent think that he is. And I would bet within the Republican primary those numbers are probably even further apart, like more Republicans feel that he is up to the task of serving the next term. So I'm just not sure that that generational contrast in the Republican primary is going to be an effective hit on him. Bottom line, DeSantis is going to have to find some way or hope that somebody else makes the case that is going to move people off of Donald Trump, because right now he has an outright majority. Even if everybody else dropped down, even if Obama in their version of Obama intervened and everybody dropped down at the right time, etc. Trump still has a majority of the vote. It's not particularly close right now. So you've got to find some way to pull people off of him. Maybe the answer is a strong showing in early states. I'm skeptical that that dynamic is going to work out for him, though we'll see.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean this is also I think people need to understand we are not going to be talking mostly in general election terms till that time comes, because we have a narrow slice of the electorate whose opinion is what determines this. I don't think it should be that way, but it is. So that's the way that we'll have to tailor our now. And that's one of the ways I would think everybody who's listening to our show should always remember is not how am I internalizing this? How is somebody who votes unless you are a GOP primary voter who is older.
Speaker 1: In Iowa Newhampton, Iowa.
Speaker 3: Yeah, who are the prototypical people?
Speaker 2: So just be honest also about where you follow in the typical demographic, and just be like, Okay, how are these people going to internalize what's happening here? And that's very important. Okay, let's go to that next one. We have to save our own segment for this, just because it is so funny the use of artificial intelligence already rearing its head in this race. Trump put together an AI ad or sorry, an AI attack on Ron de Sandas, making fun of the failed Twitter spaces launch.
Speaker 3: Let's take a listen. It includes voices.
Speaker 2: From Elon, from Adolf Hitler, from all these other folks.
Speaker 3: Is somehow in there? Let's take a listen. Guys.
Speaker 5: Hi, everyone, welcome to our Ron Santas Twitter space.
Speaker 7: Hello?
Speaker 5: Is my microphone working correctly?
Speaker 6: George?
Speaker 5: Can you just wait while we know?
Speaker 10: Can you hear me?
Speaker 2: We can all hear you, George.
Speaker 5: Can you just hold on for a second.
Speaker 3: I don't think they can hear me.
Speaker 6: Speak.
Speaker 3: I don't think George knows how to use Twitter? Hello?
Speaker 1: Can you hear me? Now?
Speaker 8: Can I please make my big announcement now? Everyone?
Speaker 6: Just hello.
Speaker 3: George? Can somebody just mute George?
Speaker 2: Could you try not to cough on.
Speaker 10: The Okay, so how are we going to take out Trump?
Speaker 5: You guys, uh, guys from the FBI.
Speaker 6: This is not a private call.
Speaker 3: This is a public Twitter space.
Speaker 1: Everyone can listen in.
Speaker 10: God damn it.
Speaker 5: Anyway, guys, we invited everyone to this, uh this Twitter space. So Governor Ron DeSantis, could.
Speaker 8: Everyone just shut the hell up so I can make my announcement? Okay, you go, girl, it's gay?
Speaker 6: So what everyone in this call is gay?
Speaker 3: God? To be honest, it's good. What can you say? Also?
Speaker 2: I mean, I will I will say it's obvious that it's a I. But it's they're getting dangerously close there to work. It seems a voice is pretty I also love the you know, the problem the elon is very on the problem is they still can't match his bizarre pause cadence. That's actually the issue is like I'm like, that's actually two cojins of a way, and the way they speak. It'd be like for me, you have to factor in my swallows every like twelve whatever, or my inarticulate nature that I know everybody hates my in order to and all those other things.
Speaker 1: Do you know if did they make this or they just somebody else made it? And they posted it, so it was posted on his Instagram.
Speaker 3: It was posted on Instagram, and it was also posted on his Truth social.
Speaker 2: Page, which then migrated over to his campaign staff, which posted it on Twitter.
Speaker 3: So I don't know.
Speaker 2: I do know that all of the campaigns are very interested in all this, given the fact that the GOP had that ai response to Joe Biden's to Joe Biden's initial launch, you had a couple of other AI ads that have already debuted, So this is just the first, the first of many likely.
Speaker 1: I just look at this and I'm like, how are you going to compete with this guy? Like he can just get away with things that no one else can. I can't imagine advising a candidate to post that video, but for Trump, not only isn't advisable, it works. And meanwhile, you can trust that okay, which is just scathing, and they got the FBI and they got the devil Adolph Hitler all in there, like backing Rondo Santis for president, and then you can contrast that with Rond DeSantis's little tepid, passive aggressive jabs, which is all that he feels comfortable to do against Trump. And again, I don't think he's wrong in making that decision because when he did take you know, more fulsome swing against Trump, which was still just kind of passive aggressive about like I don't know anything about hush money to porn stars. People freaked out about it. I mean, well, Trump can post this, he can call Ronda Santis a groomer, he can launch a thousand different, you know, policy attacks against him, smear him all day long, and everyone's just like, Eh, it's Trump.
Speaker 6: Ye.
Speaker 1: I don't know how. I just genuinely don't know how you compete against it, you know. I think that rond de Santis has tried to position himself in the most intelligent way that he can. I do think there are missteps there. I think his campaign is way too online. I think the issue said is way too niche. I think it's way too wine track. I think those vulnerabilities were on display last night. Obviously the Twitter spaces thing was a disaster. But I can't say he's mishandling all of these things. I just don't know that there is an ability, barring some unforeseen circumstances which absolutely could happen. I don't know that there is a lane to take out Donald Trump's election cycle. It's just very hard for me to imagine it.
Speaker 2: I've always believed that, and that's why. Look, I've always thought it's going to be it's going to be very difficult. And you know, look, let's let's present the best case for him, which we always do.
Speaker 3: Trump is old.
Speaker 2: He could literally die, he could go to prison. He could say something. I mean, I find it's hard to believe, given them I've covered him now for seven years, it's never happened before. But he could say something was legitimately disqualifies him in the eyes of the GOP electorate and of the entire country, which makes him completely unelectable. Again, I very much doubt that's case, but as possible there's That's basically it. I think he could self emilate politically. He could go to prison, although I still think they would make him stronger. But maybe that would also self emilate him.
Speaker 1: Maybe I would on the electability case, it would help the DeSantis electability case strong.
Speaker 2: I mean, at the very least, you can still run and can't do rally from prison, so you wouldn't have your eyes on them. Although I still think it would turn into a media circus.
Speaker 3: So I don't know.
Speaker 2: And then the third case is, like I said, Trump, somebody could happen to Trump. He could have a health event or something. He doesn't necessarily have to die. He could just drop out or whatever of the race. You know, he's old, so who knows. Those are basically the three cases crystal ware.
Speaker 1: So basically DeSantis's greatest hope is if Trump drops dead.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but here's the deal. I've said this, I've told the story before.
Speaker 2: Lynnon Johnson, you know, was one of the most powerful people in Washington when he's Senate Majority leader, and everyone was like, Lyndon, why would you want to be vice president? He said, and he literally looked at a reporter and he cited the number of presidents who had died in office, and he was like, twenty five percent.
Speaker 3: I'll take those odds, Darling something like that, and wow, heyst it worked out for him. So it's one of those. It's one of those. Sometimes Let's say maybe the chance is ten.
Speaker 2: He's only forty four years old. That's not bad. He'd be one of the youngest presidents. He'd be a youngest president a long time. Actually, I believe forty three is how old Kennedy was Albata. He was I would say, later forties, so yeah, he would be quite young to be president of the United States should he be inaugury, So you know why not?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, I still think, even as I have made the case pretty forcefully that I think it's very difficult to succeed. I think his circumstances are not totally under his control. I think something has to happen. I don't know if it's as die or as Trump like literally dying, but something big has to happen to shake up the race in my opinion, for Ronda Santis to have a shot. But I still sort of agree with apparently what his wife told him, which is like, look, you get one moment, and this is it. What I just said, you know, this is when you're at your peak. And maybe if you perform well in the Republican primary, but you come up shore. Trump can only if he wins election again, he can only serve another term. So then maybe you're in the pole position for the next time around. You keep yourself live for that opportunity. I mean, I could just as easily see it going the other way. Where which is that youthly amount so disastrously or Trump torches you so disastrously that you're sort of dead to the GOP primary base. But I genuinely think that could go either way. So if I was in his shoes, I still think I'd run this time, even though the odds at this point are really clearly against him. And the last thing that I'll say about all of this is, I know people feel that the media treats, or some people feel the media treats are on DeSantis unfairly, but I actually think the media was They don't want this race to be over because it makes it less interesting, right, It makes it there's less cable news poddo, there's less to write about. It just makes it less sort of ratings and click driven if the thing is basically over before it began. And you could see in the articles that they were writing leading up to this launch, you know, like the one we covered about his two hundred million dollar plan to win, which was written before the disastrous launch. There were all these pieces about like, Okay, here's how he could do it, and here's what his aids are saying, and they're saying, don't worry about the early misteps, and all this stuff about him not having a real personality. This is all nonsense. Look at how effective he's been in Florida, et cetera. I think that they were ready to write his resurrection narrative just to keep this thing interesting. But now obviously that the option of writing the resurrection narrative is off the table for the moment. I'm sure it will come back around absolutely.
Speaker 3: Why are we talk about the debt ceiling?
Speaker 1: All right? So there is a movement this morning. Let me read to you the very latest. This is from Jake Sherman over at punch Bull, who posts up and always gets comments from McCarthy, etc. So he says, we don't have an element from those because it's just breaking this morning. Republicans feel very good about a deal to lift the debt limit. Ours expect the compromise will come together sometime in the next few days. Intense pressure to rap negotiations up as soon as possible in order to get a bill through in timely fashion. We anticipate the debt limit will be extended through twenty twenty four as part of any agreement, and the GOP leadership feels as if they will be able to win the support of the majority of the House Republican conferquence for this eventual package. Every negotiation needs its caveat. It could all fall apart, but we were getting very positive signals from the leadership until late last night. Also want to lay down a marker once again and tell you the anger in the House Deem Caucus right now is palpable. Many rank and file Democrats feel as if they're going to be asked to vote for a package that is slanted towards GOP demands with little for them in return. Biden is going to have to work hard to get this thing through, and it's a real test for Hakeem Jeffries and Catherine Clark. Let's say, for argument's sake that the agreement comes together tonight. It will still take roughly two days to convert any agreement into legislative text. And you've got in there that seventy two hour review of the bill that Republicans force through as part of their speaker negotiations. So happy talk from Republicans last night about we may be coming to a potential deal. I will just put in there as always that I'm skeptical until I actually see it come together, because I do think you have problems in the Republican caucus with the hardliners. I think you have big problems in the Democratic caucus, with people who don't want to vote for work requirements, who have drawn some redlines, who don't want to vote for, you know, stripping tax credits in the Inflation Reduction Act. So if this is a long way from being over, is my assessed continues to be minded?
Speaker 3: I agree?
Speaker 2: So I here, let's say the positive I guess positive side, which is, we appear to be coming closer to a deal.
Speaker 3: Now here's the problem.
Speaker 2: Even once we have said deals we've always warned about, we have defections.
Speaker 3: Not only in the House. I don't know why they're only talking about the House. There's also this chamber called the Senate.
Speaker 2: You would have to have part of the Democrats sign on to it, or at least some Democrats who sign on, because you know, this guy named Chuck Schumer is actually the one who has to bring into the floor. So if he doesn't support it, or if a huge portion of his caucus doesn't support it, then how exactly is he supposed to do that? There's that piece, But let's focus on the House already. There's a sizable portion of Republicans in the House who are not going to vote for this. They don't want to vote for a deal period. Yeah, and in fact, they want Democrats to have to come over the top and go ahead and vote for this. Then, so there's that now. Also, as you have pointed out, the AOC, J. Paul and all those people, they are going to be furious about this, and I'm probably going to try and do everything possibly can to not just them.
Speaker 1: The Congressional Black Caucus also very upset about the work requirements and those sorts of things. And it's not just like the Squad and squad adjacent members, it's like the entire Progressive Caucus, which aren't even really that progressive. And there's one hundred of them.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say, that's about one hundred members, Yeah, I recall. So okay, so you already I would say rule that out. But it's gonna be tough. Now, what are the spending cuts gonna be? And this is also where the big question is, not only do they have to have nominal cuts, they also want to increase military spending. Then they also don't want to touch of discretionary spending. They don't want to touch veterans benefits, which is a huge portion. Ryan and I talked a lot about this. We're really talking about like one to two percent of the entire federal budget which is on the table here because we also refuse to raise any taxes, and that one really pisses me off because I'm like, look, guys, even if we agree on spending and all this, you have got the carry interest loophole prescription like give us something like just because on merits.
Speaker 3: That's a great way to raise money.
Speaker 2: There's no reason why medicare, the largest drug purchaser in the United States, should not be negotiating drug prices on all drug Literally no, if that is one of those where put your business hat on. Should a business be legally required not to negotiate? You can't do that. That's insane, except that the government here is the business. So that's why that actually could save a ton of money. Carrot interest loophole. We actually have no idea how much money that one would save. And then the same whenever it comes to pharmacy benefit managers. Yeah, I mean, these people print billions off of not just us, they're printing billions off of your grandmother.
Speaker 3: And that's why they are scummed.
Speaker 1: You still smiddle that, Oh yeah, all that they are.
Speaker 2: They really are going after like people like your parents or you know, my parents, like older folks, people who are on Medicare and who have private plans too, who are hitting caps that never should be in the first place. So like these Like everyone agrees that those people don't deserve to exist. Like everyone agrees these things are way way too expensive. So that is where I just wish they would cave, but they just refuse to do it.
Speaker 3: On the message.
Speaker 2: I'm curious what you think, because recent polls have come out which actually say a lot of people do agree with the GOP position. Here's a fascinating one that actually just broke this morning, Crystal, which is that the amount of people who say that they would blame Republicans is about forty five percent. The amount of people who say that they would blame Biden is forty seven percent.
Speaker 3: You're basically looking at an equal split, which is a disaster for Biden.
Speaker 2: Yes, because in twenty eleven Obama had a fifteen point lead on the debt stealing fight and on the government shutdown. When Bayner shut down the government, Bayner lost. I don't think people remember that Bayner took the blame and the Republicans did with They even called it like the Bayner shutdown. If I recall this time around, with negative partisanship and all of that, it's awash. If you're a Republican, you are not blaming Republicans. If you are a Democrat, you are not blaming you are not blaming Biden. So it's one of those where that only gives even more heft. There is no political incentive for the Republicans now to negotiate at all. Matt Gates even said this, He's like, why would we negotiate with the hostage Yeah.
Speaker 1: I was admitted to their hostage takers. Yeah.
Speaker 3: No, that's I mean, at least he's honest. I always prefer honesty.
Speaker 1: That's exactly right. I mean the difference is Obama, for his many faults, was a very effective communicator. Biden and they're not even saying anything. I mean, they're not even laying out their case. It's a muddled disaster. And it's not just me that's saying that. The Democratic normy elected Democrats who are super pro Biden are extremely frustrated with the lack of messaging. So he's lost the messaging battle. The strategic to the extent that there was a strategy, has been a complete disaster. Has handed Republicans one hundred percent of the leverage, where the only metric is like, now, how badly do Democrats lose out in the final negotiations. It's just a catastrophe for Democrats all the way around, and an avoidable one also that they could have gotten rid of through reconciliation when they had power. And also even and if they failed on that front, the lack of a coherent plan, messaging strategy, and the willingness to take off the table immediately any of the workarounds that again, it just handed Republicans all of the leverage. It has been a worst of all worlds in terms of their approach, and I think for them it is it really is a catastrophe. The fact that opinion is divided on whose fault it is is such a failure. And then I also think, you know, to your point about some of the pulling and the polling has been kind of mixed because there was other pulling that showed that a majority people want a clean debt ceiling increase. I think it partly depends.
Speaker 3: Well, step don't know what the goddamn is right.
Speaker 1: And it partly time on how it's asked, et cetera. But also Biden has basically caved to the Republican messaging that we have a debt problem that we need to cut spending, when again in the markets, there's just there's no evidence that that's the case. So of course, when you have both the Democrats and the Republicans basically saying, oh, yeah, we have an issue, we need to cut spending, then you're going to have a majority of Americans who are like, oh, I guess we need to cut spending because everybody is saying that that is the case. Going back to the math that's needed here, put this political piece up on the screen. Biden is increasingly expecting that they're going to need a significant number of Democrats, probably around one hundred to actually vote for the eventual deal, because you have Republican hardliners who will never accept any sort of compromise on this. And so he's trying to figure out where am I going to get one hundred Democratic votes for what kind of a deal? Could we come together and get a majority of Republicans to vote along with one hundred Democrats. I will say, you know, for all the protestations from Jayapaul and the Congressional Black Caucus and everybody else, we've been to this show before and usually these people ultimately when Biden comes to them, is likely I really need you to do this. So, like all ri fin, I'll vote for it. So do I expect them to have a backbone in the situation. We have seen very little evidence of said backbone previously. Don't have a lot of confidence there. We also just to show you how tenuous and back and forth these deals are and the negotiations are. This next piece up this was Jake Sherman had a quote yesterday from one of the key negotiates, Patrick mckennery, who said, I understand the deadline. I'm not yet an optimist on getting this resolve. We are, in my view pass what is a responsible deadline. And that was why when the Speaker said let's figure out in February, he meant it. So that's like the polar opposite of what they're saying this morning. Yesterday they're like, I think it's over, We're going to default. This morning they're like, oh, we're super happy there might be a deal. So we can have a lot more roller coasters between now and however this gets resolved. Last piece that we have for you here is Bernie Sanders actually wrote an op ed for Foxnews dot Com, which I think he's penned a couple of Fox News op eds at this point, which is interesting in and of itself. He's making his case still for why the president should go the fourteenth Amendment route. Put this up on the screen. His headline is, Biden must resist Republican debt ceiling demands. Here's what he needs to do instead. The key lines here he says, so where do we go from here? In my view, there's only one option. President Biden has the authority and responsibility the fourteenth Amendment of the Constitution to avoid a default. The language in that amendment is quite clear. It says the validity of the public debt of the United States shall not be questioned. This is a constitutional guarantee the US will always pay its debts period. This is not a radical idea. And then he goes on to say, back in twenty sixteen, then President Trump was correct when he said, quote this is the United States government. First of all, you never have to default because you print the money. So Bernie and others still pushing fourteenth Amendment. Biden team hasn't totally taken it off the table, but they've really repeatedly poured cold water on it. They clearly preferred try to negotiate some type of a deal here and try to deal with it that way because Biden is, you know, the consummate institutionalists. He doesn't want to try out anything novel or different than what's been done in the past. So that's where we are effectively.
Speaker 3: Here we are.
Speaker 2: It does look very likely that a deal will happen, and it's like you say, people will complain, but the dams are going to vote for it. In my opinion, I think they are all just going to vote for it. The real question is how many publicans will actually vote for the deal. But if they can come through with something by the end of the day, I mean, how are them. I mean the markets seem to be like yesterday, things were not great.
Speaker 1: There was a crash yesterday on news that they were far apart and it wasn't going much.
Speaker 2: It looks like, yeah, so we're down by one percent just over the past five days.
Speaker 3: I mean, that's not terrible. So we still haven't.
Speaker 2: Seen a major market reaction. We'll see how it goes. If I do think the biggest forcing mechanism for a deal would be if they say there's a deal and it falls apart, then the markets will crash and then you'll have to start seeing some real compromise there, and then possibly we'll see something increase from that period. That would be the biggest forcing mechanism. But until then we'll see we remain.
Speaker 1: We're all in their hands and it was not a good feeling.
Speaker 3: That's right.
Speaker 2: Let's go to Uvaldi here. This is one where we didn't want to drop. Look, you know, it's one of those where I know a lot of you were so you were so repulsed disgusted by the story. I think everyone was. That's why it became such a national outcry. We heard from so many of you. You know, this is one of those where our outrage and just focus on the story over the last several months has been so important to you, and so we didn't want to let the one year anniversary of this go by, which just happened yesterday. Let's go and put this up there on the screen. It's just a perfect view crystal into what we all knew was going to happen, but it's just so still insane one year later to say that, you know, of the dozens of hours of body camera footage and all of that that shows these law enforcement agents, specifically the early arriving police officers on the scene who stood back and did nothing, dropped the momentum, dropped the action, and waited for Border patrol guys to basically.
Speaker 3: Come in and roll in.
Speaker 2: Almost all of them are still employed by the same agencies that they worked for on that very day. One actually even got a commendation for his actions. And the Valdi residents have been campaigning and asking for answers now for over a year. Really, the only person who faced any real accountability, if you can even call it, that was Pete Rodondo, the head the chief of police of the Uvaldi School District. And yeah, he left his school post, he left his police post because they disbanded that ISD police force, and he was kicked off of the city council after hiding for weeks and kicking reporters out from any investigation. The Texas Department of Public Safety to this day has officially cleared almost every officer that was involved in that remember that personal Colonel Steve McCraw who said that he would personally resign if his agency as an institution failed at Uvaldi, he insisted did not Who remembers McCraw the day after Uvaldi giving a press conference basically telling us BS about what happened.
Speaker 1: A great God they did the officers.
Speaker 2: Can you This is my other thing I've always thought about, Abbott, how they made you look like a fool. They told you lies, and you spouted those lies on television in front of the entire country. If anyone did that to me, I would not rest until every single one of them was fired, and I would prosecute.
Speaker 3: The hell out of them if I could.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's another thing I don't get about Ken Paxson and all these other Why are we protecting them? Everybody wants they want to see justice for these police officers, And just like in every case, there's a line here that really jumps out to me. One hundred and ninety federal officers were on hand. Those agencies have denied several public record requests by the media, from national to local Texas media for any information on their employment status. I mean, to this day, one year later, they are hoping that all of us forget about what they did.
Speaker 3: They failed those kids, They failed all of us. Those kids bled out.
Speaker 2: Who knows how many of them could have been saved, And if you can even just save one, they still, every single one of them deserves to be fired and to be prospected.
Speaker 1: They say in this piece, Law Enforcements, seventy seven minute delay did come with potentially deadly consequences. You had three victims emerge from the school with a pulse and later died, Teacher Ava Morales forty four, and Lopez ten. Critical resources were not available when medics expected they would be, delaying hospital treatment. Texas Tribune and Pro Publica and the Post all found last year another student, Kazaris, who was nine, likely survived for more than an hour after being shot and then died in ambulance because these cops were standing by doing nothing. And what they talk about in this piece is number one that for these parents and for the loved ones and friends and family members that have to still live in this community, these people who failed them and let their kids suffer and die in this tragic way, they still have to run into them at the supermarket. They still have to look at them on the street face to face. Some of them are related to them, and know that there was zero accountability for these horrific failures. They also talk that there were two hundred two hundred responding officers from state and local agencies, one hundred and eighty still in law enforcement. Even that dude Erodondo who became you know, the real this scable, I mean deservedly, Like I'm not letting him off the hook, but there were failures all around. Let's be clear, he has had his like status shifted so that he's got a better shot at getting back into law enforcement himself. One of the people that was supposedly fired they is still somehow hanging around in law enforcement in the same job and hasn't actually been let go. They're hoping everybody just moves on. And you have to think about it from these parents' perspective, like the national focus on this across the board, horror, shock and outrage at the manifest failures of that day, what has it resulted in. I mean, if your claim is like okay, mental health pot okay, if mental health is the thing, like where's the mental health resources? Well, Texas has cut mental health resources. If you believe that gun control is the answer. Certainly you're not getting anything done there in terms of the Texas legislature. And then on the very basics of some sort of accountability for the wrongdoers who failed on that day, the people who failed to act, failed to intervene, failed to save these innocent children's lives, very little next to nothing in terms of results. So I cannot imagine because so many of these parents that they interviewed, they'd say, at least this tragedy could help prevent another one. At the very least, make it so that my daughter, so that my son's life actually meant something and nothing, just nothing. It's shocking to the conscience, it truly is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so we have a video of the courageous Uvaldi mom. That's the third element, if we can go ahead and play that. I always at my our live show, you came up with that great idea about superlatives like biggest hero.
Speaker 3: She'll always remain my biggest hero. Let's take a listen.
Speaker 9: Right the way as I parked us, Marshall started coming toward my car and saying that I wasn't allowed to be parked there, And he said, well, we're gonna have to arrest you because you're being very incoperative. I said, well, you're gonna have to arrest them because.
Speaker 1: I'm going in there.
Speaker 9: And I'm telling you right now, I don't see none of y'all in there. Y'all are standing with snipers, and y'all are far away. If y'all don't go in there, I'm going in there. He right, immediately put me in cuff, she.
Speaker 10: Says, after you've all the police officers told marshals to uncuff Gomez.
Speaker 1: She ran towards the school.
Speaker 9: As soon as they uncuffed me. I jumped that first gate fence, and once I jumped it, I went to my son's class.
Speaker 2: So, I mean, you know she's she If people don't remember, she was at work, heard about it, drove there for with like a thirty or forty minute drive, speeding, when was handcuffed, unhandcuffed, went into the school, got her kids, came out of the school, all before they actually stormed those classrooms. I remember reading those details at the time, and I was just absolutely stound and to.
Speaker 1: Law enforcement on blast and they harassed her.
Speaker 3: I heard the fact, that's the thing, because.
Speaker 1: Of our willingness to speak out against them and buy their you know, silence.
Speaker 3: She became a hero and they punished her for that.
Speaker 2: And I say, yeah, like you said, you know, people have moved on and the rest of the country, but they can't move on.
Speaker 3: They still have to live in this community.
Speaker 2: And I can't imagine and to look at police officers, you know, in the eye at the grocery store who and just know that they could have done something to save your child's life. So yeah, I mean, look, no accountability. I wish there was a hopeful end to this.
Speaker 3: There's not.
Speaker 2: There's literally nothing that any of us can do about it. And I think that's actually the most insane part.
Speaker 1: Yeah, another really tragic tale of just like a broken society unable to protect the most vulnerable among us. All Right, we've got an update for you guys on what continues to be an important story, which is what exactly happened with those drone strikes on the Krumlin which appeared to be a potential out there, very effective but potential assassination attempt on Vladimir Putin. Of course, Ukraine immediately denied it. Russia blamed Ukraine. We put in, you know, a little note of caution. You never know it could be a press flag, but it looks very likely that this came from the Ukrainians, who have a track record of attacking on Russian soiling low and behold New York Times. Three weeks later, here we go, Ukrainians were likely behind Krumlin drone attack. US officials say they based this on some intelligence intercepts. Now this is according to US intelligence agencies. Just to be clear, they based this on some intelligence intercepts where they're listening into the Russians and the Russians are not like, yay for our false flag. And also this would be an embarrassing false flag for them to stage because it shows immense vulnerability and their failure of their own air defenses, which they would certainly not want to put on display. And then on the other side, you have they picked up Ukrainian chatter where the Ukrainians were like, yay, go, yes we did it. Now. The various caveat that they go at great length to put in here is that the American officials said they suspect mister Zelenskin and as top aids have set the broad parameters of the cover campaign, leaving decisions about who and wan to target to the security services and their operatives. In so doing, mister Zelenskin's top aids can deny knowing about them, so they go to great lengths to say Soelenski, he probably had no idea about this. He didn't know what's going on with any of this, which, if true, is actually very troubling too because it's like, okay, so these security agencies are just freelancing and doing whatever the hell they want without even permission from the top. Dude, here let alone with you us just standing back and wondering what hijinks they're going to pull next, like trying to assassinate the head of a nuclear arms superpower. So it just is, you know, it was. It was very predictable, and in fact, soccer, you did predict it. Yes, I actually want to take a little victory left.
Speaker 2: I will take it out because exactly on May third, twenty twenty three, which is at that time was twenty one days from the report I said New York Times, three weeks from now. US Intel believes Ukrainian group behind Putin attack, but Zelensky of course had no knowledge or involvement. That is literally what happened on the exact day, three weeks to the day they say USNTL believes Ukrainian group it's always a group, and that Zelenski had no So I will just say I'll take a little bit of Victor rev because I think it's hilarious, but I mean.
Speaker 3: I don't relish it. I think it's bad. Because what they also point to is they're like.
Speaker 2: US officials also say Ukrainian is responsible for the assassination of the prominent Russian nationalists, the killing of a pro Russian blogger, the number of attacks in Russian towns near the border with Ukraine, the most recent of which occurred on Monday, and the bombing of the Nord Stream pipeline. So like, in every single one of these, these are escalatory maneuvers. And I also want to get people like, what are they supposed to do?
Speaker 3: Sit back and not attack.
Speaker 2: They can do whatever they want they but then need to bear one hundred percent of the risk. Okay, so we should not have any Let's say, and you already know how this go. If they attack Russia and then Russia attacks back ten times more, what are people in America going to say, oh, well, we got to send more over there. It's like, well, you attack them, you know, why should we sign up for, you know, your collective defense if you are going to go and get yourself in even more trouble. Or let's say they get themselves in a situation where they're literally like it's existential for them.
Speaker 3: What are there everyone's going to.
Speaker 2: Say we should go to war to protect. No, they're the ones who got themselves in that situation. Yes, I can believe it is defense, but you are operating in an unfair dynamic where one side has nukes and you don't deal with it like you know, I personally I think it's a very impossible and difficult situation. So that's the situation that you find themselves there, you find yourself in, so be it. I'm not saying it's fair. Life is not fair, and that's why it's like, so it's so difficult to talk about this when people are like, well, I think you should be able to do whatever he wants.
Speaker 3: I agree with you, he can do whatever he wants, But if he's going to operate basically as a US client state, then no, you can't do whatever you want.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 3: You need to do what you're told, and he doesn't do what he's told.
Speaker 1: The problems when you're dealing with the nuclear power. You can cannot have one country that is assuming one hundred percent of the risk because there's obviously like massive global implications. And even outside of the use of nukes, we've seen the way that the Ukrainian war has upended, you know, supply chains and made food more expensive and fed inflation. I mean, I'm not saying that's anything like the devastation that Ukrainians have faced and the death toll, et cetera. But these are huge global costs that are being born. So it's not even feasible to say, Okay, well, if you all want to try to like drow and strike the Kremlin, it's.
Speaker 3: All on you.
Speaker 1: You bear the risk. That's just not even an option that's on the table. So you know, the context here is also that Biden has just greenlent F sixteens. We know from the leak documents that separate and apart from these attacks that we now you know, know with pretty high confidence that Ukrainians were behind that. Zelensky had even more wild ideas about pipelines to bomb and attacks to engage in within Russia. And it's just very hard to understand the risk calculus here. From the United States and swore when he you know, offered up training for Ukrainian pilots with F sixteens. Oh Zelenski told me that they won't use him in Russiah.
Speaker 3: Would you believe him?
Speaker 6: Why?
Speaker 1: Like you can't, but there's just no way, You're.
Speaker 3: There's my way.
Speaker 2: They lied and said we didn't have anything to do with the prominent attack. They lied and said we have nothing to do with the cross word. Like there's no reason to believe them none. You look, you can be in the right, you know, and you can also still be an untrustworthy liar. I don't know why that is so difficult. People in this you know, people in this country have lost their minds. It's like, you know, there's this I really believe that Twitter for this war has been a disaster. There is an entire portion of like mostly young disaffected men who like love call of duty, who are living through like vicariously effectively through Twitter by like posting maps, calling themselves like ocinth specialists, being like no actually the backmut feint like using technologies if they served in the military and are living as if they are essentially involved in this except the actually Ukrainian soldiers are, and these idiots online bear none of the risk, and they're the ones who are constantly.
Speaker 3: Being like, oh, you know, this is obviously a false flag. Well what do you morons look like?
Speaker 1: Now?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's every single time they just jump they're like Zelensky mouthpieces.
Speaker 1: There was a huge backlash from my you know, assumption that this was probably. I always left the option open. You never know what Russia's going to do, but this was very likely the Ukrainians huge backlash to that of people who were like, no way, Like Zelenski denies it, Why do you think that the liar exact? Because we know that he's a liar, and we also know he has an interest in escalating this thing and forcing us more onto his side. That is where his interests. Because that's the other piece of this from a US military perspective, where like, these attacks aren't even smart, right, because you are galvanizing the Russian people behind the effort, and you're making it more likely that people are going to sign up for the Middle Militari when there's another draft, they're going to comply, they're going to be behind the regime. You are actually, in a way strengthening the Kremlin's hand in a certain respect, and so that's why our pentagon is like, why are you doing this? But the logic from these intelligence agencies and from Zelenski within Ukraine is that if they do get that escalation, that's not all bad for them, because then maybe that forces us, the world's superpower, fully and clearly onto their side in the effort, which is their best hope to fully win the war. Last thing I have to say about this, You and Ryan covered that attack within Russia that happened on Monday. I became a little bit obsessed with this because the leader Okay, so the guy guys, all Ukrainians are not Nazis. I'm not saying that, but there is a contingent that it's like, how this is like dangerous that we're align with these people. This group, it's actually white nationalists, Russians who are further right than Putin, who have allied themselves with Ukraine even though they're Russian white nationalists, because they don't agree with the imperialist expansion project of Russia. They want Russia to focus on just being a smaller white nationalist state, and they're interested in toppling Putin, to put a more right wing, more fascistic authoritarian leader in Russia. So these are like out and out neo Nazis, this particular group. Again, I'm not saying this about all Ukraines, this particular group. And you know we've been to this rodeo before in terms of US arming and supplying less than savory characters in it coming back to bite all of us in the ass. So I think it's important to keep that in mind as well.
Speaker 2: It's almost like conflict ignites invites chaos, nuance and is not as clear cut.
Speaker 3: As everybody wants people to think. I think that's Shoker.
Speaker 2: It's almost like any reading of history would tell you that, Bristol, what are you taking a look at?
Speaker 1: Well, if you live in America, it will be no surprise to you that we are reckoning with a legitimate nationwide housing crisis. Since the nineteen nineties, housing prices have skyrocketed far out pacing that of overall inflation, making home ownership more and more out of reach for young Americans, unless, of course, mom and Dad can foot the bill. But it's not just home prices. It's also rents, which have gone up insane amounts, pushing the working class to the edge and the pore over the brink. Today, according to the Census Bureau, the median renter spends thirty percent of their income on shelter. That means that your typical renter in America is now cost burden, meaning that they are spending what's considered to be an unsustainable percentage of their income on rent, leaving very little for everything else. Just take a look at this map. So the darker the blue here, the more cost burden the renters are. You can see the whole map is pretty much a wash in blue, and some locales are in truly dire shape. In New York City, the rent to income ratio is sixty eight point five percent. In Miami it's forty one point six percent. How are you going to eat and drive and live when your whole paycheck is going to pay your rent. Since the seventies, rents have gone up faster than wages, and that trend shows no sign of slowing down. What if I told you there are places that have actually solved this problem, that have had the political will and imagination to escape our brutal urban housing healthscape. Turns out, the solution is really kind of simple. If your citizens need more quality, affordable housing, then you should build it. This is the lesson, drawn from an in depth profile by The New York Times of the City of Vienna's approach to housing. Here's that piece. You can take a look. It's titled Imagine a Renter's Utopia. It might look like Vienna. Prior to World War One, Vienna suffered with horrible housing conditions. Renters would sublet their beds out to day and night workers to try to cobble together enough money to make the rent. Conditions were absolutely atrocious. But in the twenties, during a time known as Red Vienna, when socialist led the City Council, Vienna embarked on a grand program of public housing construction. Now, these new apartments were modest by present standards, but they did inclin food, basic luxuries, things like indoor plumbing and private bathrooms. And while socialists don't run the joint anymore, the city has maintained its commitment to high quality social housing that it's available for poor, working class and middle class Viennese alike. Far from the round rundown image of American housing projects, these apartments actually look really nice, modern construction, beautiful amenities, like rooftop pools, idyllic courtyards, interiors bathed in natural light, balconies with lush greenery. They're available to most city residents, and plenty actually avail themselves of this option. The median income in Vienna is fifty seven thousand euros roughly, and anyone making less than seventy thousand euros can actually qualify for one of these apartments, and once you're in, they can't kick you out even if your income goes up and is above that limit. About two thirds of the rental market in Vienna is actually rent controlled, and about three fifths of city residents live in social housing. This huge investment in affordable housing has brought down costs for everyone, whether they live in social housing, rent in the private market, or actually own their own place. The Times profiled a couple who have lived in social housing for decades and so have benefited over years from regulations setting the maximum pace at which rent can increase. In reversal from US trends, this couple has had their wages far out pace rent growth over the course of their adult lives. Today, their rent is only two hundred and seventy euros per month. That makes up less than four percent of their total pre tax incomes. These aren't wealthy people either, one as a teacher, the others a city accountant. Yet rent is as insignificant a cost to them as meals out are to the average American. Can you imagine what trips you might take, investments you might make, interest you might indulge if your shelter cost only four percent of your pre tax income. Matt Brunick's People's Policy Project has done a lot of research on what exactly this could look like in an American context. They point not only to Vienna, but also Sweden and Finland as models to follow, and advocate for a buildout of ten mins million new units in ten years now. These units would be owned by the government, available to all, and rent would be based on a sliding income scale. Having multiple classes in one building is really key for avoiding the segregation and decay that characterizes our existing public housing stock. Now now might be a particularly auspicious time to act. Housing affordability, as you all know, is at an all time low, but also the abandonment of downtowns by office workers means that there's a lot of vacant space which will be vacant in the coming years, and those buildings will be turned over. Government could snatch up these locations at fire sale prices to convert into social housing, thereby solving the problems of housing affordability and vacant downtowns in one fell swoop. I am well aware of how fanciful this all sounds. It blows my mind that we ever had the ambition to build down any public housing an attempt to create quality, affordable housing for everyone. The optimism and confidence of such a project, it seems so far fetched now. This isn't an accident. The whole job of modern democratic and Republican politicians is to destroy our political imagination, to convince us that nothing is possible, Our problems are intractable. Incremental reform is the very best we can hope for. After all, if our political imaginations were not destroyed, we would certainly imagine a better politics for ourselves than these sorry losers and their raft of excuses and failures. We are living now in the wreckage of the neoliberal era, and one thing has become really clear. Just hoping that markets are going to solve our problems has not and will not work. Developers and other corporations are not interested in solving social problems. They're interested in making money. That's fine, but somebody's got to solve the social problems. That means we're going to have to rebuild the muscles of governance atrophied by neoliberalism. We're going to have to allow ourselves a little bit of political imagination, even if Cynisenism feels a lot safer, and actually expect our political system to make our lives better. And it's kind of mind blowing from an American content.
Speaker 2: And if you want to hear my reaction to Crystal's monologue, become a premium subscriber today at Breakingpoints dot com.
Speaker 1: All right, sorry, are you looking at that?
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 2: On Sunday, I did a monologue about the skyrocketing price of the average used car in the United States, some twenty eight thousand dollars nearly fifty thousand dollars for a new one. In it, I mentioned that the part of the problem that we have right now is inflation and financialization taking their toll on the lower end of the car market, and then large subsidies that exist for electric vehicles, which still remain prohibitively expensive for most consumers. However, one of the upsides I suppose in a big massive rise in the price of a new car is a new Tesla Model three, which is priced around forty seven forty eight thousand dollars, which is pretty average next up to any other car. EV proponents are actually pointing to this as the future where an entry level EV is priced right alongside an average new car. Now, this is obviously true, but I think it's true for the wrong reason that the overall price of cars is still way too high. Furthermore, I want to take a time today to again just warn about where these price drops are coming from, and the overwhelming amount of drop and EV price is coming from economy of scale. That's good if economies of scale exist in your country, But already you know the answer. We own less of the EV supply chain in the West and in North America than we do of normal cars. I have consistently tried to emphasize a dual narrative. I love electric cars. I believe that they could be the future with the right government policy, but that our current government policy is setting us up for indentured servitude to China for our dominant mode of transportation and without the adequate energy supply to power them. So go ahead and take a look at this graphic. This shows you the percent of minderroles that are coming from China. I feel especially vindicated now by the mainstream media because they're beginning to catch up and take notice.
Speaker 3: Look at this graphic.
Speaker 2: It shows in stark detail how much an electric vehicle battery is coming almost entirely from China or Chinese controlled entities. Cobalt mining, for example, is forty one percent controlled by China. Refining capacity is seventy three percent directly in China. Anodes of EEDV batteries are ninety two percent, seventy percent of cathodes, sixty percent of battery cells, fifty four percent of all electric cars China, China, China.
Speaker 3: You could just say, yeah, but we'll just build our own facilities here. I wish it was that easy.
Speaker 2: It takes years to build the refining processing facilities required to produce an EV battery.
Speaker 3: And even if we did that, we still don't have the staff or the technical know how on how to run them.
Speaker 2: Then if we did it, you may not like how much energy and how much filthy refining and processing abilities look like this is the dirty secret of almost all life in the West. All of these processes, refining, minerals, building solar panels. They are done in China to shield our population from reality of how filthy the byproduct is. Then we install it here and we pretend to we're green because we ignore the labor and environmental impact of what it really looks like. China has a nearly two decade head start in setting up these processes and has achieved massive economy of scale supply, and of course has ensnared our largest companies to just simply leave battery production up to them. We are rapidly approaching a moment where if you buy an electric vehicle anywhere outside of the United States, it is almost certainly just straight up made in China. In fact, just yesterday, Tesla confirmed its very first Shanghai made Tesla's are now being imported even to North America and will be sold in Canada. Both of those models for sale in Canada qualify for a government tax credit. Already, Tesla Shanghai makes up fifty percent of global production for the entire company. In fact, Chinese records tell USA Tesla has imported some one hundred and thirty three exported some one hundred and thirty three thousand cars just this year out of Shanghai. The only thing keeping Elon and Tesla from making all cars. There are provisions in US law that require our evs to be US made, or at least somewhat US made. Of course, there is a trade off. It makes ours more expensive, and it shows the obvious cave of all time that we know is coming a decade from now from a Democratic or Republican president who will just say cost is too high for our evs. We should drop made in America provisions at the behest of the car companies. I can assure you that is probably what's going to happen, because it's exactly what happened to US automakers in the nineteen seventies when Asian competition came in. Cost is always king in America, and it should be especially though for them. Profits for big corporations are in play. For the politicians, the only way to solve any of this is to turn the clock back and start building factories. The other way is to try our best to stave off corporate pressure in the next twenty years while we catch up to where China is right now. Unfortunately, things are not looking good for that. The Biden administration has taken baby steps at best when it comes to EV's supply efforts. They recently signed an effort with a G seven in Australia where they acknowledge it is a problem that China controls the entire mineral supply chain, but they have not done anything else about it.
Speaker 3: They have signed agreements to come to a future agreement. She's not going to cut it. I've said it before.
Speaker 2: You need a Manhattan Project level of scale and effort to catch up to China just on EV minerals and supply chains. Then we need a separate Manhattan price to develop cheap and abundant renewable power to send cars once they are on the road. If you do not do both simultaneously, we will give the US consumer the worst deal. In the long run, you will have high prices or you will leave yourselves incredibly vulnerable. So I mean, I think we keep taking our eye off the ball.
Speaker 1: This is literally and if you want to hear my reaction to Sager's monologue, become a premium subscriber today at breakingpoints dot Com join us now. We have the executive director of Employe America. Skanda em Ernath, Great to have you, Scanda.
Speaker 3: Welcome, good to see you man.
Speaker 6: Thanks for having me on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, our pleasure. So you took a look at the debt sealing debacle from a different lens than what I had seen anyone else take. Talking about the role that Treasury could it should be playing here, just talk to us a little bit about why.
Speaker 6: You chose to focus on them, right, So, it seems as if Treasury has a pretty central role in shape being the negotiations for the White House. It seems like Secretary Yellen plays a pretty big role in this, but not just her. There are other people within Treasury. There are a couple of other people outside of Treasury too. But I would say, because ultimately it's about paying US debts, Treasury is inherently going to be central to all of this, And the Treasury itself seems to be thinking that by writing off all alternatives, they are somehow strengthening their negotiating position, which is to the I don't know, antithesis of any kind of logic irrationality about negotiation. You try to keep your options open to the best of your ability, and we just seem the complete opposite from Treasury so far, which is just baffling to me.
Speaker 2: So, yeah, can you explain a little bit about what you laid out there our audience. You know, they are going to know what the debt ceiling is, but debt servicing the level of treasury, what some of the missed opportunities that, in your opinion, have been lay that out for everybody.
Speaker 6: So obviously they're trying to Biden has talked about this, Yellow has talked about this, that it'd be great if Congress. We should have Congress raise the debt cealing like it always has and do it cleanly, because that's the way it should be done, because you shouldn't be bargaining over the full faith and credit of the United States, which, like I think is actually right. But the Treasury is not without options if Congress doesn't do that. Treasury has methods by which it can actually make sure the debt sealing isn't an issue for making sure we pay our debts on time and that we don't have a default. That's super dislocating or this notion of well, we could pay the bond holders, but then we can just make cuts elsewhere. Payment prioritization, all of these things are like deeply complicated, constitutionally very questionable, when in fact they could pursue fully lawful solutions if they actually were willing to say, Okay, ideally Congress can raise the debt ceiling, but if they don't do it, we will take matters into our own hands, and there are powers other than invoking the fourteenth Amendment per se, which I'm still not sure what that means, that would add up to taking it, taking control of negotiations, and not letting yourself be held hostage in the manner that they basically have. They basically have let the Republicans control the show by saying, oh, we're not going to pursue any alternatives to you raising the debt ceiling, and therefore the price of raising the debt ceiling keeps going up.
Speaker 1: You know, I thought, I think it was Matt Brunnig who laid all of this out in a way that made sense to me, which is, like, Okay, let's say that Biden did absolutely nothing right. There's no deal, there's no debt sealing increase. He now has a conflicting set of instructions that he's received for the United States Congress that would almost inherently have to go through a legal process to resolve None of the options is particularly palatable. One is the sort of fourteenth Amendment route, where you're like, no, you said, we're going to spend this money and the debt shouldn't be called into questions, So we're going to take on the debt. We're going to do what we need to do, and that's, you know, what the constitution instructs us to do. Another one would be to do what I think Republicans have more floated, which is like, all right, well you prioritize payments and maybe the bondholders get paid but the veterans don't.
Speaker 3: Or whatever like.
Speaker 1: But then that is represents the executive taking on effectively the power of the purse, which is another constitutionally bad option. So you're left with all of these, you know, problematic issues if Biden doesn't act whatsoever. And thinking of that in that regard helped me to understand sort of like the crux of this issue that really you do kind of need some sort of legal judgment about these conflicting sets of instructions and the bizarre setup we have where you got one vote to spend the money and another one to do what it takes to actually make sure you fulfill your obligations.
Speaker 6: That's right, and so if you have I thought Matt Bruennigg's column was excellent and kind of speaks to this separation of powers problems that emerge, and so there is this sort of legal conflict that has to be resolved. And it'd be one thing if there was no solution to this problem, if you're Treasury like, oh, we have to get the debt ceiling up. But there are solutions available if they are willing to put their minds to it. And what has become very abundantly clear is they're not trying to put their minds to it. Yeah, it seems like it's pretty unwise to do that. If you want the debt ceiling to be increased, the worst thing you can say is, well, oh, I have no alternative except to just concede to everything that you possibly would want.
Speaker 3: And that is exactly the road they've chose to go down.
Speaker 6: And I think that is ultimately to the detriment of us default risk, to the detriment of actually paying our debts on time and make sure that the debt ceiling is not this kind of big sweepstakes issue that it always sends to be.
Speaker 1: Can you talk about so we've talked about the fourteenth Amendment here, we've talked about the you know, mint, the hashtegment, the coin.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 1: But the other one, which we've referenced but haven't really totally laid out, frankly because I don't one hundred percent understand it, is the idea of Treasury issuing callable perpetual bonds. You lay out the technicalities of this in your column, can you just explain as best you can and layman terms what this looks like and what it means.
Speaker 6: So, if you read the debt ceiling statute the law itself, it's pretty short, and it's quoted in terms of the face amount of the obligations. The face amount is the for a bond for which there is a principle repayment. So obviously, you like you pay back interest and principle most of the time with bonds, but there are bonds that exist where only the interest is guaranteed and there is no guaranteed principle. That would be a perpetuity effectively, so you would have regular interest payments and at some point the government may or may not decide I have the right to pay back to buy back this perpetuity from the bond holder, but it's my right flash option, but I don't have to do it. And we did this for financing something like the Panama Canal. These things existed in the nineteen hundred and nineteen thirty, so there's precedent for this. A perpetual bond is a real thing. You can look it up an Investipedia. These things are not like just purely for the sake of evading the debt ceiling. They are real instruments. I think that does matter for sort of how people perceive, like the viability like that passes the laugh test.
Speaker 3: I think obviously the.
Speaker 6: Coin I'm by the way, I'm like pro coin in the sense that I think it's legal, and so if it's legal, go for it. But this is probably going to win over more people, I suspect within the White House. But it's the kind of thing that they should be exploring in the here and now. They should have been exploring this like five months ago, and they've just written a lot of these ideas off the table. There's some other ideas also that can work in terms of making sure that we don't default under debts and we're not using the debt ceiling as this big ransom note of sorts. But the perpetual bond idea is one that has a lot of precedent rooted in it. So the government has done this, and if we're if you guarantee interests without guaranteeing principle, it's quite clear that one the government has a power to issue these instruments and two that it doesn't count towards the debt cealing. So that's like two things that has going for it that are kind of unique to the solution.
Speaker 1: And why do you think that they've taken these options off the table? Is it just Biden and yell In are real institutionalists. They don't want to engage in these novel arguments, Like what is they're thinking behind the scenes.
Speaker 6: I think there's a lot of sort of norm abiding by sort of prior norms, not wanting to exert too much creativity. There's a fear of the unknown in terms of it being because it's novel and you're deviating from precedent, then you are there for doing something that is going.
Speaker 3: To be a political liability.
Speaker 6: So like it's like, oh, if we say for example, the coin example people bring up, it's if we say we're going to do the coin, Republicans are going to have a field day with this. They're going to mock us, They're going to say that we were doing something reckless, and like, obviously, like this is not kind of on googable until you actually go down that road. But I do think like it should be at least clear there are other options on the table, and I think it's actually to the benefit of some people to say, oh, well, if the only option is the coin, that seems worse, but then like there are other options too, like perpetual bonds. There are other things they could be doing in terms of Fed Treasury coordination if they really wanted to put the screws on the negotiation to make sure we are in some ways the best way to get to a clean debt sealing increase, you have to be open to other options. Otherwise, if you are not open to other options, you're not going to get clean debt sealing increase.
Speaker 3: You're going to get something that's pretty dirty. And that's exactly the road Brawn right now.
Speaker 1: I think that's a good point because the thing that Republicans have going for them is they have people in the caucus that you feel like are genuinely crazy enough to push the country over the cliff, and so you have to have people on the other side who seem general at least crazy enough to like mint the coin, you know, to have some sort of semblance of leverage in the negotiations.
Speaker 6: That's right, And I guess the point I'd make is that even if you think the coin is somehow beyond the pale, and again I said, I'm not gonna I don't. I have nothing bad to say about the specifically, but there are other options on the table if you're willing to look for them. What's been obvious the last few weeks is that the Treasury has not done the homework to actually look through all these options. If they did and they're hiding in the background, great, but I don't see you.
Speaker 1: I don't see any evidence of that. Thank you so much for breaking all of us down for me. I think I understand the bond option a lot better now, so I appreciate that, and it's always great to see you appreciate it.
Speaker 10: Great.
Speaker 1: Thanks, Yeah, our pleasure.
Speaker 2: Thank you guys so much for watching. It's been a fun week. We've got to cover a lot of stuff. We had some fun ambitious crossovers. Seeing the new all of us here are marveling at the size of this television. No one has ever seen a monitor this big before, all of us behind the scenes, so thank you for helping us with it. Sign up Breakingpoints dot com you get an exclusive look at the new set whenever we do reveal it coming up on our two year anniversary, which is kind of crazy, and we will to be debuting the set around that time.
Speaker 3: So anyway, we love you and we will see you all next week.
Speaker 1: See y'all next week.