Speaker 1: The volume. All right.
Speaker 2: John Middlecoff, former NFL scout, is about to stop by. But before we start with John, I want you to grab your smartphone download the game Time app. New feature called game Time Picks makes getting tickets for your favorite live events even easier. So game Time Picks filters out the fluff to show you only incredible deals on great seats, so you don't have to waste time searching through thousands of tickets. Takes the guests work at a buying concert tickets with game Time. Just download the game Time app, creat an account. The code is calling for twenty bucks off your first purchase. Terms apply again. Create an account Coli and is the redeem code twenty bucks off? Download game Time today? What time is it? Game time?
Speaker 1: All right?
Speaker 2: Let's start with the Rams Lions. These standalone own NFL games are insane. I mean, you had over seven hundred yards of offense tonight, over five hundred passing yards between the Lions and the Rams, Matt Stafford and Jared Goff about five and a half yards of play if you avered the two teams. Let's see forty six first downs and no fumbles. Each quarterback threw a pick. Time of possession was even. First of all, Sean McVay and Matt Stafford and Cooper Cup. No Puka Nakua, he got hurt. Both your offensive tackles are out makeshift offensive line. To go into Detroit Sunday night football against the super Bowl level team in Detroit, and really I thought they had the game one in regulation. What a performance by Stafford, Cooper Cup and Sean McVay, who's a rock star. And in the end though, I felt like Detroit when it went to overtime, I'm like, Okay, now it's Detroit's game.
Speaker 1: Look tired.
Speaker 2: Sometimes at Chris Collinsworth made a great point, you're not really built in week one to go to overtime in a game that's a track meet. There's just only so much. I don't know who. I don't have the betting lines next week, but I mean the Rams and the Lions. They if they were a little off next week, you'd understand it. But my first take is the Rams. I mean, I wrote these numbers down. At one point they had a twenty eight to twelve first down advantage on the road, four hundred yards, three hundred passing yard, dominating time of possession, and a seventy eight to forty five total play advantage at one point in this game. But credit a very deep, now experienced Lions team, Like they're not new kids on the block. Green Bay still young. The Rams are actually pretty young. San Francisco is older, but the Detroit's got a veteran club here and now a veteran coaching staff with Ben Johnson and Dan Campbell. So I think it was just a team like the Rams gave it everything they had, but they they looked really shot in over time, and to the Lions credit, they just ran the ball right at them. They didn't f around at all. They went right at the Rams interior d line and it worked. I think one of the things I'm always taken by is how good Matt Stafford is. And we all know he's good. But I've said this before. If Matt Stafford and the Rams, and remember what you saw from the Rams night's impressive, Puka Nakool will be back. They'll have both their offensive tackles, their guard will go back to playing center. They'll be a better team. Plus they're incredibly young on the defensive side. I mean they got two rookies starting on that defensive front. Give those guys twelve to fifteen games. This Ram team by the end of the year, you don't want any part of This is a really good team. The difference is the Lions are supposed to be good now and they got out played for big chunks of this football game. One of the things I worry about with the Lions is they don't have a ton of wide receiver depth, so they got to keep amar On Saint Brown healthy. They don't have a lot of depth there, and the Rams did pick him up. Even though I think they're a better team in the back end Rams, and maybe it's just the Rams Cooper Cup can do that. Rams kind of picked them apart for long stretches in that football game. Again, the Rams had a seventy eight to forty five play advantage at one point and were dominating time of possession. So it's one of those things. Detroit I didn't think played particularly well in the second half and they won the game. I thought the Rams were brilliant. A heartbreaking loss when you really outplayed a team on the road, a great team on Sunday night football, and you lose, that's a long flight back to LA But I think what you're looking at is two excellent teams, two teams that could meet again in the NFC Championship. Wouldn't be surprised in the least. Would not be surprised in the least. You know the other thing the Rams, and I wouldn't call this a problem, but it's fascinating. So there's a lot of discussion because he's gotten nicked up last couple of years. What do you do with Stafford? Do you draft another quarterback? But you're watching Stafford tonight he went thirty four for forty nine for three hundred and seventeen yards and a touchdown the pass rush in his face. In the second half, he went eighteen to twenty three for two hundred yards, and again he's under duress. Jared Goff had a much cleaner pocket. And I'm sitting there watching Matt Stafford, and I'm thinking, if you're the Rams for the next couple of years, in the draft, why draft a quarterback? Just stack the roster. Who are you going to get in the draft that's as good as this guy. I know he's older, but when I watched him tonight on the road pass rush, I mean it's basically Cooper Cup. He didn't have Tyler Higbee his top tight end. He's banged up, he didn't have Pooka Nakua, he didn't have his tackles. He's putting on a clinic. You're not going to face many pass rushes, certainly tonight. You're not going to face many environments in this league harder than that. And this guy's eighteen for twenty three in the second half. So you know, I was sitting as I watched the game, and I'm thinking, what I mean, He's never been a big mover. He moves well enough in the pocket, his arm's great. I mean, he's clearly going on thousand miles an hour cognitively. Upstairs, he's got an incredible relationship with Cooper Cup and Pouka Nakua. Now they got Jordan Winningham, this other receiver. They bring in Tyler Johnson, who I thought was kind of a cast off. I think he was in Tampa at one point. He had a huge play to night, And I'm just saying, I'm looking at this team and I'm thinking the defense is young. Stafford's the old guy. But I don't know if I draft a quarterback. If I'm the Rams, I would definitely draft to tackle. Robin Havenstein died in play the night right tackle. He's getting up there, and I would get another wide receiver. But I mean last year, five of their six top picks or defense, so there's no reason you know they they are very close. I think they could get to the super Bowl. I don't know if there as good as Kansas City. I don't know if there's good as Baltimore. I don't know. But they're certainly in a group of four or five teams that could get there, five or six teams maybe. So I just you're watching Stafford. I'm watching Stafford. That guy doesn't look close to retirement. He doesn't look close. Everybody loves Aaron Rodgers. He's up a major surgery. Kirk Cousin's off a major surgery. Stafford's gotten his hand banged on the helmet and his shoulders been banged up. But I'm just looking at these numbers tonight in that pass rush on the road, in that environment. She I'm just loading the roster up. I'm I'm redoing his contract. You gonna pay you, gonna pay Dak sixty million dollars a year. I'm writing checks for Stafford the next two years Seriously, I'm not drafting on our quarterback. I'm not wasting my time on a draft pick at the top.
Speaker 1: Gil.
Speaker 2: I'll get him another tackle, another receiver, another edge rusher. He didn't look close to being over I think there's a I think there's a real argument he's the best quarterback in the NFC. I'm trying to think. I mean, you watched him with golf tonight. Stafford's better Rock Purty, give me a break, Dak, Stafford's more talented, better arm talent, Jalen Hurts Stafford. I mean, just you know, you tell me I think he's the best quarterback in the NFC. Oh, by the way, with McVeigh, which is I mean, if you're if you're if you're taking everything into consideration on if you're going to move off a quarterback, and you say, well, he does have maybe the smartest offensive coach. I think that can that can extend it another year or two. Shit, if you told me that Matt Stafford's starting upright in three years, he's not forty. I don't know you're watching tonight. I don't think he's close to over f them picks. Go get him help, don't draft the quarterback you know the other thing I think is fair to say what we saw in Week one, week one's crazy. I mean I thought I had the right side of the Titans game and Will levis el was that a bad pick? Week one's crazy again. Dallas looked sensational, Cincinnati looked awful. You don't take too much from it, but I do feel like tonight watching that game, I'm watching two super Bowl level teams. Once the Rams get their offensive line healthy and everybody's back watch out, they draft and develop so well. They got so many good young players on that team. They're really really young, not Green Bay young, but really really young. And I guess my overall take now the San Francisco plays the Jets tomorrow, but my overall take on Sunday, Thursday, and Friday is, you know, outside of Cincinnati, the teams we think are going to be pretty good or good, and the teams that we think are going to be bad, like the New York Giants are pretty bad. We'll get into New England later. I don't know what to make of it. I mean, you don't have a lot of the weaponry for Cincinnati, so you know, you just don't you know, it's hard to make a big sweeping judgment. But I feel like tonight in a weird way, I look at what the Rams did without their tackles and their makeshift on line against that Detroit team starting two rookies up front defensively, that's the most impressive loss. I mean, Baltimore losing on Thursday's an impressive loss. That Ram lost tonight, that's pretty good loss.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: You can lose like Cleveland lost, or like Carolina lost, or like the Giants lost or Washington lost. But this tonight, I mean, you go back and look at film. You did a lot right against an excellent Lions team. The fact you could block that front at all with backups everywhere is a testament to how well coached the Rams are.
Speaker 1: And that was fun.
Speaker 2: The Thursday stand alone, the Friday standalone, this, and then tomorrow we get Aaron Rodgers against the Niners. You want to know why this league is king?
Speaker 1: You watched it tonight.
Speaker 2: Now for a segment called the Making It Look Easy, brought to you by Morgan and Morgan, America's largest injury law firm. Today, Josh Allen made it look easy. Four touchdowns total two hundred and seventy one total yards. Just like Josh made it look easy, Morgan and Morgan make it so easy to submit a claim. They have over one hundred offices nationwide, more than eight hundred lawyers with over fifteen billion dollars recovered for over three hundred thousand clients. Morgan and Morgan has a proven track record of fighting to get you full and fair compensation. Morgan and Morgan been fighting for the people for over thirty five years. If you're ever injured, go to fourth People dot com, slash Colin, or dial pound five to two nine to check out America's largest injury law firm. Winning in the NFL is hard, but hiring Morgan and Morgan is easy.
Speaker 1: All right.
Speaker 2: Former NFL Scout three and out podcaster John Middelkoff of the Volume Week one reaction presented by Uber eats get almost almost anything for Game Day. All right, let's start with Tom Brady's debut. Good God, Cleveland's a disaster. I was sitting there thinking, as I'm watching that game, if you're gonna sign a contract to a quarterback, to a guaranteed contract, which you you know, Kirk Cousins got one and Deshaun Watson, I not only want a great player. I want a great leader, I want great health. I want an ascending player. He's virtually none of those. I mean, it's just typical Cleveland. What's ironic after watching Baker today? Baker's a much better quarterback today, John than Deshaun Watson. I mean, Baker was a rock star today. I'm sitting there and I'm like, we know it's not Stefanski. We know he's a really bright guy and a good play caller. I mean, I don't even know what Deshaun Watson is. I mean, changing uniforms. He's a bottom ten quarterback.
Speaker 1: You know, as funny as I had on the Redskins or the Commander's game on a little TV and I wrote down about ten minutes before we jumped on, Baker's in a different universe. Not just as a thrower, his touch, I mean, Deshaun's throwing balls into the stands constantly, but it swag, the way he carries himself, the way his teammates, and even as a playmaker. I mean, it's not like Baker some elite athlete, but moving around Deshaun Watson Dak Prescott signed the same contract, essentially two hundred and thirty million dollars guaranteed. How could you pay a player who has character question marks and who has a short resume. I mean, I'm getting text constantly. I'm sure you are. It has to go down immediately as one of the worst deals in the history of pro sports. You look at Dak has his flaws in January, very consistent regular season player, super smart guy, Yeah, high character leader. Everyone that knows him like him. Deshaun Watson, I was out on him last year today, what an embarrassment? Where's the playmaking column? He doesn't make any plays well?
Speaker 2: And he was never a hyper athletic or he was never a hyper accurate thrower. That was always the beat on him. I can remember his first year. Everybody liked him. He would skip throws. He's not a pretty thrower. He's not an easy thrower. Everything looks like it's a struggle downfield. You know, he was a wildly dynamic athlete. You take that out, and I mean, he's no more athletic today than Dak Prescott. And I've always thought Dak's sort of a b athlete and a b arm But I was watching Daxon and I'm like, oh, Dak's a much much better player than Deshaun Watson. And the thing about Dak, Dak is a guy that even when he has his faults, you do feel like he is the soul of the organization. He's the soldier Deshaun Watson. If you went through that locker room and have half the guy, asked half the guys and you go, you could move off the contract. So I look at Cleveland and I think desperate franchises, desperate owners do dumb things. They're sunk. You can't go anywhere in the AFC with Deshaun Watson.
Speaker 1: Well, the reason they won eleven games was Joe Flacco last year. That's right, right, he resurrected him and they refused to resign him because they didn't want any drama. Let's face it, if I was a Browns fan today, I wouldn't want to watch this any more. He as just a consumer, So I didn't have any money on the game or anything. Just an awful, terrible watch. Like who wants to consume that player? Like you said, he used to be able to scramble around and do things. That's gone. Listen, has he lost his confidence? One? But whatever that is that we witnessed today was a fish out of water, and they're going to be former players. I'm sure they come to his defense. Well, they were missing offensive lineman. They gave him two hundred and thirty million dollars to elevate above that as a playmaker, and that's gone.
Speaker 2: I thought, I wrote this down. I thought Mike McCarthy in terms of play calling today, I thought it was sensational. They had a drive in the second quarter. They did everything. I mean it was. It was shovel passes, it was screens, it was counters and traps, and I'm sitting there watching and I'm like, this is art. Like, you know, we bang on Mike McCarthy, but he's a five hundred playoff coach. He's a sixty percent winning coach. And you could say, well he had he had Aaron Rodgers. Well he's also had Cooper Rush, guys who are not considered superstar throwers of the football. I thought Dallas today and I had my questions looked so buttoned up. Offensively. I thought the play calling was good. I thought Dak was in a zone. Listen, I pay defense was awesome, excellent pass rush.
Speaker 1: Listen.
Speaker 2: I don't want to pay Dak sixty million, But good god, two hundred and thirty was guaranteed, so it takes out the salary cap issues when you guarantee the whole damn thing. And my take is, if you're going to have a quarterback for the questions, just guarantee it. Like I saw this week the Niners converted somebody's contract to a signing bonus. Like if if you can guarantee the stuff and get it, you know, help you out in the salary cap. But that if you'd have told me one team today played flawless football. It was the Dallas Cowboys in Cleveland with a rookie left tackle against Miles Garrett. It would have been one of the bottom guesses I would have had. That's as good as Dallas can play offensively and defensively.
Speaker 1: To me, how about Jerry, there's no chance. They just got this deal done late Saturday night. He stole the morning with this announcement of this contract. You talk about a showman, and then they answered the bell. You know, the first thing that came because there have been rumblings when you say this last week, like something might happen here, he might get a contract extension. I thought the moment that contract was extended. I'm like, I think that's good for Mike McCarthy because the success DAK has had under him, right, Mike's calling the plays unlike a lot of these coaches all over the league that just are CEO head coaches, So he directly impacts him. And if DAK continues to have success, let's say they lose in the second round, cause I had pivoted on McCarthy. He was easy to beat up a couple years ago, and then he just kept rattling off twelve wins and then we're annoyting guys like Mike McDaniel who have never won a big game in their entire life and can't win the division. I think the Cowboys have a pretty good chance to win the division this year. Hell, I picked him before the season, like him just as much now. But if they win eleven twelve games again, you're gonna pivot off the guy who's your offensive play caller and, like you said, proven to be a pretty good head coach. Okay, he's not Bill Walsher, you know, Andy Reid, we get that, But you're gonna bring in Bill Belichick, right, I mean that seems like, especially now that you're so invested in Dak, and let's face it, Dak over and over answers the bell in the regular season at a really high level, and he's proven that he can win big games. Unlike Lawrence and Tua, who got paid this offseason in December. He just has to get hot like an Eli Manning or Joe Flacco to really kind of cement his legacy. That will always be a question mark, but I don't think there are any more question marks. Like compare Dak to Kirk Cousins, like, I think there's a little bit of a gap there. I know their numbers are similar, yeah, but I think that's especially as Kirk's getting older. You know, Jared Goff, he's playing after we talk, but he doesn't move as well. I mean, da, Dak's really good. He's never gonna be the second best quarterback, but you feel pretty good about just putting a minute number eight. And then all the character stuff and the intangibles and the leadership are a really big deal in the sport football. Yeah.
Speaker 2: No, there's no question that he is an adult, and I think from the very first year in the NFL, you always felt like you could trust Dak in the locker room, to make smart decisions, stay out of trouble, and you know it sounds like, you know, oh, that doesn't really matter. You could hear Tom Brady on the broadcast today, so much of it as being able to handle hard coaching, to get yelled at. I mean, I can remember during some cultural movements in America, you know, Dak was front and center. I just think he is that soul of the franchise. Speaking of Brady, I always said when Tony Romo took the job, everybody fell in love with him. Three years later, we're like, eh, Brady's broadcasting career is going to be his playing career. You're going to just watch him work really hard, and you're gonna say he can't do this, can't do this, can't do this as a player. You look up, You're like, he does everything. I thought he was nervous today, especially in the first half. But my takeaway is go to week eight. Tom's gonna literally go home tonight. It's been the entire night and the next day studying the film. So im on Tom. You know, everybody was talking about it. I thought he was really nervous to start.
Speaker 1: It was funny.
Speaker 2: I talked to him last week off the air, and I said, listen, you're you're gonna be nervous. I don't care what anybody says. You're not playing. You can't control it. It's just and it's and and for the record, it is so hard to do well. You basically have to succinctly, three hundred times in an afternoon talk for eight seconds, and you have no idea what you're going to talk about ten seconds before you talk about it. It's a really hard job. And so that was kind of my take on Brady.
Speaker 1: You got any thoughts, Yeah, I'm not going to try to be a hater. I admire Tom everything he's accomplished in his career. People I know that know him, and I'm not trying to overreact to one game. But I thought he was pretty bad. Yeah. I just thought, you know, he's very tight. You know, he's with Kevin who's been doing this since he was like five, who's very smooth. Aaron Ronaldi, I mean, Ronaldi is one of the great greats of all time. Tough spot. He's gonna have to find a lane. Yeah, because I think the casual person and if you're getting twenty thirty million people watching these games, most of them are not diehard football people, right. They want to be entertained. Madden's personality, Gruden's eccentric craziness, that's not really gonna be even Romo was just very excited and turned on him. But he has a lane. You know, I don't necessarily like is Tom. He didn't really let it fly today on Deshaun Watson, which I thought was a BP fastball, though I don't know if that's gonna be his thing. I just thought he was kind of tight, which is understandable. Yeah, but I don't quite know what's gonna be like. I don't think people want like let the personality come out that everyone that you're Gronk and Edelmant and these guys love you, like be one of the guys, which he obviously has in there. I just think he was kind of stuck in no man's land. And obviously I'm sure you'd over prepared the majority of people text I'm getting it. I'm sure we'll see it tomorrow. People will be critical love him. It's a tough spot. But I just I'm interested to see what lane he figures out, because today I thought he was kind of a no man's lane. And again I like to I'm a Tom Brady guy. I'm not rooting against him, but it was tough, tough spot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, No, it was. He was choppy and he just didn't quite listen. I've talked for a living. It takes rhythm. If I take ten days off, I come back to following Monday, I'm rusty, like I need an hour to get back into my rhythm. So it's not the easiest thing. Okay, I want to talk about the Bears game. First of all, the fact that they won a game and passed for sixty four yards, so it was interesting. Belichick said something last week. I took the Titans to win that game, and basically I was on the right side. I felt for almost the entire game. But Belichick said something this week and I took it to heart. Belichick said, I wasn't impressed. He was like ten for twenty and I went back and I text somebody who was I know who's in the NFL who's been critical of him. And the big question with Caleb is high school and college. He can really get in the weeds with his accuracy. He can really get into the high grass and if you recall Mahomes could do that a little bit in his first three years, and then Andy would pull him back in. Mahomes would get really off mechanically. Stafford's done that in his career where it's so easy for Mahomes and Stafford. They start side arming two out of three throws, the mechanics get sloppy. And I thought with Caleb, he's got a defensive coach. So Mahomes has Andy. Stafford at one point had an offensive coordinator he really connected with. Now he has McVeigh. But I think with Caleb is when he gets sloppy mechanically, who brings him back on the fairway? Because I thought today he struggled at times to see things. You know, I thought his decision making late in the game and not making mistakes and taking what was given forum was fine, but it I mean, all these guys struggled today. Bo Nicks was as good as anybody, and he threw two picks. What did you make of Caleb overall today?
Speaker 1: Well, I think if you go back to Bill's comments, He's like, listen, I'm not being a hater, but I don't put anything into preseason. And when you're inaccurate in the preseason, do you know what hit me today watching about ten games in the morning on different TVs and screens. You know how the NBA once the playoffs start, You're like, what we just witnessed for the last six months doesn't even look like the same sport. That's kind of the preseason. I mean, the first ten minutes of like ten am to like ten thirty, You're watching the Steeler game, the Houston Indie game. Guys are flying around and I'm like, this doesn't even resemble what we just witnessed. Right, So the defensive game plans, all these defensive coordinators, even the average ones, are making one and a half two million dollars. They're paid a lot of money to do this. The physicality of the game rams up the question on Caleb he is going to be able to make spectacular throws though he wasn't doing that today. I think he was really rattled and his confidence was all shot. But can he just make basic throws from in the pocket, whether it's a fastball or whether it's a layered throw. And it kind of unraveled on him and unraveled on him fast. Now the tight Jeffrey Simmons is probably one of the better players that the casual fan doesn't know that much about because he plays for the Titans. You put him on the Cowboys or the Eagles or something, he'd be a star. And they were hitting his ass hard and he was he was thrown off and will Levis bailed their team out. Because if will Levis does him self implode, the Titans not only easily should have covered, they should win the game. I mean, he looked like Daniel Jones there, but Caleb was. He was atrocious today. I mean he really was, which is fair because this is what Bill and Bill's an old school guy, Sean Payton's all these guys that come from the eighties, the nineties, the Bill Parcells. They hate hype, you know you and I I like some hype, Yeah, I enjoy it. Those guys do not like it because it doesn't mean anything once you kick off week one, and that, like all that hype was meaningless today if on third and seven he's skipping a ball and he was, and it unraveled fast. The arm strength, all the talent doesn't mean shit. And like you said, it gets back to Jayden Daniels. Beside his running didn't look great. Bo Nicks, who has an offensive play caller. Now he was on the road. Granted was looked overwhelmed a lot of the time. Yep, it's hard. This is really really. This is why I've said pump the brakes, especially on Caleb and the Bears. I don't know, like Nick Wright picked him to win the Super Bowl. A lot of people are hot, you know. He threw that out there. I don't know if he actually picked. But my point is he could make serious strides as the year goes on and they could win seven games. This is really Look at Sam Darnolly, He's been the league for like seven years. Has taken him forever to figure it out. Yeah, no, I'm not easy.
Speaker 2: No, I said this. I did a piece for Fox Sunday and I said, be careful on Caleb Williams. This is one of the best divisions. This is a franchise that ran Trubisky out of town and he made the playoffs twice with Aaron Rodgers and Stafford in their prime. This media is rough, the weather gets rough by Thanksgiving. If they win eight games and he gets better, take it. If you could take that today and say he's significantly better, we win at games we finished third, take it, because what success looks like to Dak is not what success looks like. You know, years ago, you and I grew up, the hardest thing to do was hit a baseball. Now that's still really hard. It's still really hard. But quarterback now has entered that space because it's not a run centric league. It's a sixty forty sixty two to thirty eight passing league, and I mean it's even g You know, Smith a veteran today, his best play was a run, Like this stuff is hard, and I think we just have to understand. I thought all the quarterbacks looked overwhelmed. I thought bow Nicks had a little rhythm at one point in the game where he felt like I felt like bow seeing the game. It wasn't doing much, but he was seeing the game, he was seeing the field, and he was facing a new defensive head coach. So all twenty four points today were scored by defense and special teams. Will Levis to me, is done. He's baked. I don't think his college game looks like his pro game. Doesn't see the field. Terrible judgment. I think Caleb's going to be fine, But to your point, he looked overwhelmed. And I think the other thing is if you opened up on the road, It's different, dude. He opened up in Chicago. The weather was perfect. That a buddy at the game like there was a lot of fricking heat on Caleb today, like a lot of pressure on Caleb.
Speaker 1: Well, that's where if you know, if you take bo Nicks, you take Caleb. Bo Nix is in Seattle where the place is really loud and he could barely hear himself. Think Caleb gets a pretty BP fastball of twelve o'clock kickoff in Chicago. I'm a huge believer in two things. For young people, whether you're a professional athlete or just a normal person in society, confidence can be lost really quickly, and it can be hard to gain. I would say, you know in your early twenties and when you are everyone's looking at you. When you start losing confidence, it can spiral and the only thing you ever have to go back on is your experience. But as a young player, you don't have any experience. Like Geno today, you're watching early on, You're like gott Seattle looks weird, He's been through it. Dak today. All these guys have so much experience that they don't freak out over one drive. They don't freak out over a bad quarter. And you just watch Kleb. You just felt it snowballing and what does he have to go back on? Nothing? And it's not like he can look over there and Bill Walsh's on the sideline and be like, listen, I've been doing this for thirty years, won a couple of Super Bowls. I'm gonna call three plays, get you a couple of layups. And they were just they were very scattered. Yes, they felt very I mean there was one point in time in that game before Will Levis just pooped down his own leg where you're like, are they gonna lose twenty eight to ten? Yeah, and just be the number one story of the day tomorrow morning that the Bears and Caleb specifically are not nearly as good as we think because now and I really think that you can defensive turnovers, like if they're playing a top, if they're playing just Baker Mayfield or Genus.
Speaker 2: They have blown out, they get killed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So I mean they get killed. And I'm not jumping on Caleb here, which I would imagine is going to happen a lot this week. I just think everyone this is so much more difficult at the NFL level than college, even if you're playing at a high level of college. And Caleb was playing a lot of good teams in college, but the level of athlete, the level of speed, he just did the rhythm. I mean, it was just it was glaring.
Speaker 2: And the level of coaching, you know, there's no grad assistance on these staffs. Man, you're talking about the very best. I mean, Jesus, you look at USC this year with the same defensive players, upgraded coach. I mean there's so many. There are bad college coaches. I mean guys like Mike Zimmer or X and he's been fired. Mike Zimmer is a great coach. So in the NFL, it's very rare. When you get up Brandon Staley, you're like, Okay, that guy's over his skis completely Freddie Kitchens, Yep, that's not gonna work. Overwhelmingly, almost everybody in this league is excellent.
Speaker 1: Well, one of my favorite bests today was Tampa over Washington, just one. I don't think Washington is any good. Tampa's made the playoffs for four years. They are loaded with NFL players all over the place, and Baker and I was close to where you stood on him. The change he's had as just the way he carries himself. Obviously, the way he plays Washington is they just don't have the talent, right. And I think you saw all these three rookie quarterbacks. The difference of Jayden and the other two. He can really take off. I mean he can really run, and that kind of neutralized and kept the game somewhat close for a while. But these coaches are gonna put you You're just gonna end up in third and long. And this is not college, like you're gonna have to sit in there and there's gonna be your You don't have seven seconds, like there's gonna be plays where you gotta get rid of it in two and a half. That's why watching Deshaun Watson, who's been a pronown for a while, it's like he has no clock. It's like you either got to throw the ball away. I bet Tom Brady's in there thinking like, what the hell am I watching get rid of the ball? I understand those young quarterbacks not knowing the time. To me, that's more than fair. I think it also shows how difficult it is for young quarterbacks. And I know a lot of the listen I was high on Denver. It's gonna be a roller coaster ride for all three guys, which is more than fair in the history of the league.
Speaker 2: It's time for this week's player I thought might give almost almost anything to redo his game. Brought to you by Uber Eats. This week, Will Levis Titans quarterback Oh brutal Titans blew a seventeen oh lead over Chicago. That was this week's Uber Eats Player of the Week. Get almost almost anything for game time delivered with Uber eats, the official on demand delivery partner of the NFL.
Speaker 1: Order.
Speaker 2: Right now, I want to talk Raiders Chargers. It was the most predictable, at least stylistically, it was the most predictable game.
Speaker 1: It was a rock fight. It was just.
Speaker 2: Physical, brutal, tough. I mean, it was not pretty. But my favorite part of this game is basically the same defense as last year. They were in the right spot. I mean, they had one kind of mistackle on a play that ended up being a big play for the Raiders. But justin Herbert goes sixteen of twenty five for one hundred and thirty five yards, no touchdowns, no picks, and I'm like, he's going to do that several times this year, and people are going to bang on Justin Herbert. I watched that game and I'm like, Hardbaugh's looking at that talent. Pretty light at tight end and wide receiver, not a lot of game breakers. Okay at running back, better than average, maybe not great. Harbaugh looked at that game today and thought, and I think they're going to win this. Stylistically, this is how the Chargers will win. They'll ugly it up. Herbert won't make any mistakes, He'll make four to five big throws, no interceptions, make the right reads. This felt It almost felt like Harbaugh his first year at Michigan, taken over for Brady Hope. He didn't have a lot of elite playmakers, but he won ten games on just situational field position, toughness. And then over the course of two or three years, he couldn't beat Ohio State. He was losing games you think they should win, but they didn't have NFL players. The Chargers boss great Derwin James is fantastic, so was Herbert. Rashaun Slater's a good left tackle and not a lot of guys everybody would vie for if they were on the market. I thought that game was exactly how you have to win if you're the Chargers with Harbaugh this year.
Speaker 1: With that talent. Yeah, I think if you remove the quarterbacks, they're the same team, right, They're very similar. Herbert I didn't even know his box score. I thought he I ate some big, big throws down the stretch. Yeah, he made some big throws down the stretch. And then I had the game on mute was a Dobbins busted the big run. That is Listen, their team is not going to be a sexy watch this year. And the Raiders if they had justin Herbert, would be the same thing. They'd have to win a lot of games, kind of like the Chiefs did last year. Mucky it up, ugly it up, and try to win nineteen to fourteen, nineteen to seventeen. And I think when you watch, you know, let's look at that division. Right, Like I had either Denver the Chargers making the playoffs. I kind of waffled back and forth. I think it is going to be difficult. Now we'll have to see how the rest of the AFC plays out. It's obviously gonna be hard for Denver with a rookie quarterback and playing on the road, the Raiders have no shot Harbad does just because of this quarterback. I mean, the guy's talent. Some of these guys that hate on him. It's like, one you were either just trying to be like counterculture and just sound different, or two you know nobody in football because nobody thinks that, right. I mean, just lest of the way Jim talks about him. I think over the next couple of years, and when we saw how Jim has built at Michigan, they're gonna be a serious problem as he teaches Justin Herbert how to win in the NFL. But they got their talent deficient. Yeah, clearly, clearly on offense. And the one thing as the season goes, and this goes back to the rookie quarterbacks, these defensive coordinators. I mean, they worked eighteen hours a day. They're gonna get nine guys in the box and Herbert's gonna have to beat him with kind of random wide receivers.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: If they had Keenan Allen and Mike Williams in their prime, to me, they would be a lock playoff team. But they had to pivot off those guys because of the money. But it's Jim's a winner. So betting against Jim to me seems moronic. I mean, it's just it's not gonna work. Now. Is he gonna win ten games this year? I don't know, but he's gonna have a chance to go above five hundred. I bet when the dust settles come December, how about it.
Speaker 2: Antonio appears punting on a fourth and one late in the game, and I thought, I thought it was interesting because I thought, well, that's what defensive coaches do. By the way, even Mike McDonald, the new Seahawk coach, in a win, super conservative down the stretch Denver had a chance to get the ball back and win the game. It was like, defensive guys, oh my god, I'm watching Antonio Pierce. I'm like, dude, you can't be conservative with that football team. The only way the Raiders can win six games is big swings, because you just don't. And by the way, teams with weak quarterback play will get worse over the season because the defense will be on the field for more snaps. Defensive players get hurt more than offensive players statistically in the league. So a team like the Raiders, you get to like week four to five to six when the defense is literally on the field the whole game. You're going to be losing guys left and right. You got to take swings.
Speaker 1: I think one of the elephants in the room in that game, and you saw him a couple times on the sideline, is DeVante Adams on that team. Makes no sense none. And if people still think he can play, if you his value has diminished because as time goes on, you make a lot of money and you don't produce it the same way, you're just not worth as much. But if you can get rid of him at the trade deadline for a second and a third, like to me, that's it's probably time to pivot. I get not trading Max Crosby because those guys are hard to find, but a wide receiver with a team with no quarterback. It also shows you that Gardner Minshew like, there's such a difference. Sam Darnold everyone hated and right, I mean, he was bad in the spots, but then look who believed in him. Kyle Shanahan signed him last March and immediately Trey Lance was dead on arrival. His career ended the moment he signed, and then by he spends a year. One thing he talked about is like I saw Purty work well. Obviously Perdy's work ethic has to be elite for him to have success, right with his physical tools, and he's like, I really opened my eyes. This is a fifth six year player saying he's watched a second year guy. He's never been around that, and his physical attributes relative to Minschew both those guys with the Bridge quarterbacks this offseason, it's not even in the same ballpark. Minshew's a great story. He's a good backup if you were forced to start them week one, and now it feels like a couple of teams have been forced to over the course of his career. You're just done, like your season is over before it even begins. And Sam Darnold like, is he gonna sustain this all season? I don't know, but his physical attributes and clearly people like the guy. He just needed to get around some real offensive coaches. Now we see back to back years, Kyle Shanahan thn Kevin o'connelly gets a chance to play. I understand he's playing the Giants and they suck. But Colin he looked pretty good today.
Speaker 2: Let's talk about that. He went nineteen and twenty four at one point, I think he was ten for ten two hundred and eight yards two tds. Yeah, and it really touches on something. I always have sympathy for people like this. I got very lucky my first job out of college. I was in Vegas and it couldn't have been a better place for me to work. I got a really good news director who believed in me. I had good pace people around me. And if you look at my career, I've had really smart people, agents, content people, and my career wouldn't be like this if I didn't get people that supported me and believed in me. And I'm not saying, you know, Adam Gase, I thought he would be good because Peyton Manning has said he was going to be good and it just didn't work. But I mean he's been at the Jets, he's been at Carolina. It's like, I have sympathy for people that I know who are talented, and I've worked with people in my business like this. Hell, you're a great example. Every one of my friends loves you. You've done great for us. You got to let go by an AM radio station in the Bay. I'm not blaming anybody, but it's like every Yeah, by the way, at the volume we've made, our business is basically finding people who we think are really good, and we think they were a place that doesn't understand how good they are. You were one of them. So the thing about Sam Darnold is look at who likes him. Shanahan liked them, Adam Gase actually liked him a lot early. Kevin O'Connell likes him. If you start asking around the league. I know when it was funny when Christian McCaffrey had a wedding, there was like, you know, I saw nine of the guys there to one of them was Sam Donald like players like Sam, and I thought today, if you watch that game, every time Sam went back to pass, you could literally see it as a viewer, as a consumer, they had Sam knew where he was going, He wasn't ad libbing. Sam knew where he was throwing the football. And it's like that's the difference. I mean, go look the Jared Goff with Jeff Fisher and then with McVeigh. He was a bust. He was a disaster. And then you're like, oh shit, he's going to totoe with Mahomes on Monday night football. What's going on here. So I watched Donald. Their schedule's brutal. I think they were a seven win eight win team. But when I watched him today, I'm like, oh, he finally got his kingmaker right.
Speaker 1: You know. It's funny. People ask me all the time, like, you know, I want to get into the podcast business. Do you have any advice? I'm like, yeah, just find a coward, that's what you need, because, like you said, I mean, there are players are no different than a lot of people in a lot of different industries. There are probably some really talented players on Carolina that no one's gonna notice, right, And look at Carson Wentz, he was out of the league. And then who was interested last year Sean McVeigh, and what had happened to him this offseason? Bret Veach Andy Reid signed him. So perception becomes reality. The NFL is a lot like a high school. People talk, you know, fair not narratives become truce and it's hard to shake it off. And only it's rare that a guy like Sam Darnold truly gets like a cool opportunity. He has opportunity if he plays really well. They just drafted JJ McCarthy. They have no choice but the pivot and let's they like win the Super Bowl or something. Who say the Raiders won't give him some money or a team like that this offseason, right, and like some guys are completely overwhelmed. Look at Trey Lance. He got drafted to Kyle Shanahan and they're out. Yeah, and then he goes to Mike McCarthy's great with quarterback. He's like, he's our third string quarterback. Like I'm sorry, I'm out on him. Right, that's not meat had defensive guys not willing to like see your talent. Now. I do think we have his historical similarities of guys that were high draft picks. I remember living in the Bay Area. You know they talk about like Jim Plunkett, high draft pick fell apart and then the Raiders got him. We've seen Rich Gannon as an example. You see guys kind of bounce around. They get with the rights fit and they get with the right guy to believe in them. And the good thing for Sam is Kyle O'Connell are the same umbrella. We'll look around the league. There's like seventeen of them all over the price. So if you all know the offense, his demand. He doesn't have to do this every week, but if he can just prove to have them in the wild card conversation come after Thanksgiving, I think he's going to be a starting quarterback. I mean, Colin, I'm watching Bryce Young and that's the organization clearly has issue. He looks completely overwhelmed. Overwhelmed. Deshaun Watson wouldn't be a starting quarterback long if his contract was. There are a lot of quarterbacks, Jacoby Brissett. I mean there are a lot. And I understand he won today, but he threw for like one hundred and twenty yards. I mean, there are a lot of guys playing in this league today that just are not going to be playing for long. So when you can prove it. No one's ever disputed Sam's physical characteristics. And if you know the Shanahan offense, which I would say is one of the more complex, and now you know, like the intricacies of O'Connell that brings some of McVeigh, they're all kind of interconnected. I think he's got a pretty bright future if he can just keep building on this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and he had some tight window throws, red zone.
Speaker 1: Throws when he looked good. He looked good.
Speaker 2: I thought, Sam, I thought he looked really good. You know, it's I want to talk about the Broncos and Seahawks, because again I thought Bo had his moments. I'm watching Seattle, and I say this respectively to Pete Carroll. I think Seattle has elite talent. I just don't think people know the players. But walker their wide receivers, they have tremendous young corners. They got a consistent pass rush. They got the Murphy kid in the draft, the top defensive tackle a fan left today. It's Gino is what he is, like, He's a really solid he's a great story.
Speaker 1: He is what he is.
Speaker 2: He's not gonna lose you a lot of games. He's not gonna win you a lot of games. But I'm watching that game today and Sean Payton coached his ass off for a half.
Speaker 1: He got them.
Speaker 2: I mean a lot of this was Seattle do it getting safeties, and it was quirky, and then all of a sudden, by the second half, you're like, Okay, now we're off script. And now Bo Nix is a rookie quarterback and he just you know, that's the difference between a veteran Dak in the second half and bo Nicks in the second half. Both like, Okay, now they adjusted, So I got the everything on the script. I figured out. Now it's all off script. And I'm watching that Seattle team, John and I think you called him one of the surprise teams. I'll just say it right now. Maybe they're not Baltimore. I think they are really talented. They really They fly around the field defensively.
Speaker 1: I actually was kind of on the other side, but their talent. My issue with them is they've been they were poorly coached, but they've been winning nine games. You know, it's not like they've been winning five. And yeah, that's why I'm sanseled. How do they go from Do you think they could win eleven? I still think their offensive line has some question marks. They get today, they got punked. Gino has his limitations, But you're right. I mean, Kenneth Walker, there's a chance at the end of the year he's a top five running back. Yeah, how about the catch Lockett made to seal the game. He's their third wide receiver and he's been there though.
Speaker 2: Jesus, he's been great for ten years.
Speaker 1: He's got to be one of the more underappreciated players of his generation might not even be close. I think I could play for my team any day now. If their defense is better, they still might be a nine ish win team. But could they beat the forty nine ers in again, because they haven't beat the forty nine ers in five games him two years ago in the playoffs. So if they if they can play at a more physical brand, My question marks you never know where the coordinator into a head coach. He's young. I think he's thirty seven years old. And their offensive coordinator, who we all loved in college, who was de bors right Heim, had never coached in the NFL. They showed his resume to day he was a Sioux Falls not that long ago. That's a pretty quick jump. Now he clearly knows what he's doing, and so their coaching staff might just be better. I saw I watch John Schnyder's press conference at the end of training camp. You can tell he thinks they got something. Not he knows their team is talented, but like he thinks the coaching staff's pretty good. So like, can they beat McVeigh and Kyle? Can they split? Can they go to and two? Because if they can, then maybe they're not nine to eight, they're ten and seven, and they're like the six or seven seed. I would say that's possible. Not going to overreact to playing Denver who It's just you could tell they're a little talent defision still with the rookie quarterback. But yeah, I mean it's hard not to He's an easy guy to root for. Geno's an easy guy to root for. I just wonder in Sunday Night Monday Night games and Tom Brady calling it if you're both four and one, or however the schedule and you're playing the Rams or you're playing the Niners, are you I'm not picking Gino Smith Homer Away. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I will say this about bo Nix and I had talked about this because I saw him play live twice. He is much more mobile than people give him credit for. Way more mobile. He ran in for a touchdown today on a pump fake. He you know it's he looks smallish. You don't think you know sixty one college starts. You don't see m as a great athlete. I thought today he I know, one of the interceptions was a great play. And I love the Seahawk corners and again, they're all overwhelmed. They don't have a ton to work with. I don't know how good their offensive line is. I think Bonnix is gonna work. I don't think they want a ton of games. But when I watched him today, I never felt he was rattled. I thought he made two throws that were like rookie throws in the second half. I'm like, oh, Jesus, bo But I kind of like, bake that in. Like, I don't know. When I watched him today, I fore filthy was you know, I kind of just my low after watching Caleb. I'm like, Jesus, this is rough. I watched them and I was like, if you told me by Thanksgiving it all clicked, I'd be like, all right, I could see it.
Speaker 1: Well, you know what where it's set in with me is last night at eleven o'clock at night watching the Big Ten play. They had multiple Big Ten games going Oregon in usc Your Trojans look better in Oregon right now.
Speaker 2: That's the Organ's a mess.
Speaker 1: There's a drop off at quarterback. Dylan Gabriel has been a productive player, but there is a dramatic difference between Dylan Gabriel, who's probably not even a draft pick and a guy that was just a top fifteen pick immediate starter a week one, Like that's a pretty big deal. Right when you look at Oregon, I know they got their offensive line is a mess. But if your offensive line is a mess, and this goes back to Cleveland, if your quarterback can be mobile, you either got to do two things what Peyton and Toalm could do forever they played with a lot of average offensive line. Get rid of the ball like that, yea, or run around for your life Lamar Jackson the other night and you get caught like Deshaun Watson. You're kind of doing neither well. Bo Nicks can scramble, Jayden Daniels can scramble. Yeah, So if your offensive line's gonna suck and you're not gonna pick you apart in the pocket really quick, you gotta be able to move and bow speed translates like physically to me, Like talent wise, everyone anoints Caleb as this all time great talent. He's really talented to me, Like Josh Allen and John Elway are probably on their own little tier. But I think bo Nick's physical attributes are like a plus characteristic. Yeah, like they got that going now. He threw a pick in the red zone like it's it's it's hard. But yeah, I'm not out on him by any means. I've actually he's really grown on me. He's a guy that during the preseason even to day, like that's tough to go on the road against a defensive coordinator who's a head coach. They're flying around. Can't hear yourself think like that's it's a tough, tough environment in those spots like this is back to Caleb and Bo they're Enviirelan's were completely different. One was home. One was like a cater dinner, and the other one was like make a five star meal. Here's mayonnaise and here's a piece of beef. Right now, it's like, it's difficult.
Speaker 2: I want to talk about Buffalo in Arizona. So I watched Kansas City and Baltimore play, and then I watched Green Bay and Philadelphia. So I see those four teams and I see all this offense. And then I watched Houston today. It's just got nothing but ballers offensively. Then I watched Dallas today and I'm sitting there looking around watching Buffalo in Arizona. Kyler Murray's beyond clever. I mean, he's just a little pitter patter of feet.
Speaker 1: He's a great watch. I don't know how many games they'll win, but he's on TV. He's great's fun.
Speaker 2: But I watched Buffalo and I'm like, you're not You're not Kansas City, Kansas you had a chance to beat Kansas City. They have added elements now between worthy, they have a second tight end. They brought Juju Smith, Schuster, Hollywood Brown. They still have Isaiah Pacheco. I'm like, no, Kansas City's got firepower, Dallas has firepower. Houston's got a lot of firepower. Baltimore's got firepower. Jordan loves out for about a month, but Green Bay and Philly have firepower. We know the Rams and San Francisco will move the ball. I watch Buffalo of Today and I'm like, it took him a while to get cooking. John. I don't know if windows closed, but I don't think they can. I don't think they can keep up with a lot of these AFC teams.
Speaker 1: Why I would push back that I loved the Cardinals plus six and a half because Kyler's such a difficult guy to play week one when you haven't had no game experience. You're not used to the speed of the NFL as we already talked to in terms of your team, Like the speed of Week one compared to like two weeks ago in a preseason game is night and day. So I give you a pass of just running around because they do have a good pass rush. They're just gonna eat up a lot more immobile quarterbacks like Tua. And if we're gonna give Baltimore credit, Lamar happened to pull stuff out of his you know what, every other play because their offensive line isn't good. Josh is doing the same thing. And I think the question mark with both guys. You know, by the end of the game, I'm looking up. I got him on a muted TV. They're wrapping his arm. I mean, he's just taken shot after shot. He is. I didn't I was too young to remember, like the young, physical dominant Lway, but that is as dominant of a physical specimen who can run and pass. You know, Cam was always hit or missed with the pass. Yeah, as a runner, he's probably the most dominant runner of all time. Josh is the ultimate combo of them both because he's a better pass than Lamar. Lamar's faster than him, But I mean, you can truck basically any linebacker on the defensive back. You've been talking about this for a while. You just get worried when you play like that. Yeah, eventually you're gonna get a broken arm or a broken clavical. But I think that there. I think there's a grittiness of that team. Like there was a moment you looked up and it was like, are they gonna get their ass kicked? And then the boom. I had a buddy text, He's like, should I hammer the money line? You get him like plus one eighty right now, Like I don't hate it? And then boom, they scored two touchdowns. Yes, and then all of a sudden they had the lead. Now granted it was at home, but I thought once they kind of realized the speed of Murray, they sacked them a couple times in the second half. I think their front's gonna be pretty good. And I'm just I'm just a Josh Diehard believer. I mean, I think he's just one of been watching football now thirty years. I think he's one of the best talents I've ever seen. Oh, he's just turned into a great player. That he could Shakir. The Boise State Ride receivers really good. Yeah, their run game is the best it's been. And I do think they built like they did show something last year. I'm with you, like, can they beat Kansas City in a playoff game? If they played right now? Kansasity is much better team.
Speaker 2: You know, it's funny. I'm looking at you.
Speaker 1: I think there's a greatness to the squad, though it's.
Speaker 2: They were not very good on third down. It's funny. I looked at him today and I just thought, I don't know if they can keep up. Now, everybody goes, we'll call them. They scored thirty four points, are gonna be fine. It's more than that. But you know, it's funny when I look at them, they only average cook on the ever's three point seven yards per rush, three for nine on third down.
Speaker 1: You know what they have going for him, Colin, Let's remove Kansas City, who was like the Jordan Bulls right now? Who The Bengals look like absolute dog poop today. I mean, what an awful I mean, that's got to be the worst loss of the day to lose to the Patriots at home.
Speaker 2: So, you know, I think Houston I think that win today was much more impressive than people give it credit for.
Speaker 1: Totally great. I think Indy's good, Yeah, I think I think that was a playoff level game between those are two good teams. You know, the Steelers are gonna have to win a lot of games eighteen to twelve, right, the Browns have a ton of issues. We'll see the Jets Monday night. I know the Dolphins pulled out a win. I think Doug Peterson did a couple of weird things play Colin Wise, I think that game was That game was bizarre. But I am not a believer in the Dolphins. So one thing the Bills have going for him Texas was some people in Kansas City, They're like, god, Lamar is really hard to play, But can you play like that throughout the entire season? Now, Obviously you're not playing the Chiefs every week, so he's not gonna need one hundred and fifty yards, But whenever they play a good team, they're gonna need Lamar to be this incredible. So you just look around the AFC, like, I just think the NFC is better, right, I mean, Philly's still figuring things out. Dallas today, we'll see the Niners, we'll see the Lion. Like. I just think the NFC is pretty stacked. So you look for the Bills, you go, Yeah, they got some young players they're relying on, but they still got the second best quarterback in the NFL, right, and a coach that kind of knows how to win. They've won the division four straight years, yea, and a group of kind of core guys. So I'm still a believer. No, I mean, I know if I pick them to win the Super Bowl, and I wouldn't pick them to beat the Chiefs, but I think they could beat any other team in the AFC.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm probably too hard on them. I found the game wildly entertaining. I guess they you know, it's funny. As I watched them, I kept thinking, God, they're so Josh Allen freaking reliant, and then I look at it and it's, you know, in fairness, Coleman had cash Is Shakier's a clever player. Yeah, and you know you start looking at it cook. Yeah, I think their yards per catch were greater than I give them credit for. The Other thing about Buffalo, They're just in a lot of crazy ass games. Houston's in a lot of those they are. Buffalo's just in a lot of big games, crazy games, and I think that's just sort of their hallmark. Now we've seen them in so many memorable games.
Speaker 1: Well, I think if you look at Buffalo, they play in the offensive version of the Steelers, who play in the defensive version of the same game. It's like going back and forth. Anything could happen, fumble sixes, crazy sacks for Buffalo's games, or just a lot of touchdowns and it's Josh scoring a lot. They're more likely to be in a game it's thirty three to twenty nine and the Steelers are playing, like what a win by the Steelers and they win twelve to seven, and they both win a lot of games, you trust. I just believe in this modern day the way the sports played, when your quarterbacks that good, I just have to believe in. And that's where you go the Steelers, you go God CJ. Watton on quarterback. Hell, he might be the best. I mean, there's a short list of guys that are as good as him or better than him. Their defense is so physical, but their quarterback situation, you know, I would imagine Field starts again next week. But they got this Russell situation hanging over them where it's like, if you're the Bills, it's like, yeah, we got you could argue the best player in the history of our franchise. And they've had, you know, Bruce Smith, Thurmanton, They've had great players. But like Josh, given his position and what he means over the last three or four years, it's like those teams won a Super Bowl. Now they got there.
Speaker 2: I should but I I should probably look at the Bills and have a different feeling, which is they were outplayed in the first half and they ended up winning the game. Like there were moments in that game I was like, God, Arizona's just playing them tough. And then at the end they won the game. But it's not like Chicago, where Tennessee gave you the game. It was like Buffalo earned the win. I mean they put up points. It is, you know, Josh eighteen to twenty three. That's actually twenty three attempts because he's so vital as a on her is a very reasonable number. Like I think Buffalo wants to become less Josh centric, but it's hard.
Speaker 1: They want to run the ball. They want to run the ball. Today they got down yes, I anytime you get down in a game, even in the NFL, Like you looked around beside the Saints and the Panthers, most of these games are relatively close, even when it's fourteen seven or fourteen three. I mean, you're a play away from being right back in it. But you kind of have to get a little pass happy when you're down seventeen to three at home late in the second quarter. And then they did and it worked, and then you just double down on what's working the rest of the game. You just worry to me him and Lamar like, I understand, this isn't nineteen eighty seven and Ronnie Lot hitting you every play, but you're still getting hit pretty hard. And these guys have never been faster. I would imagine the body fat on the average defender has never been lower. Right, so the compact nature of these guys and the speeds have never been faster. Both of them are you know, similar age twenty seven to twenty nine years old. You just under like, how long? And I don't blame him. How would they not be confident running because they know it works. But one time you're gonna get a hit and you're not gonna get up and something's gonna be Shatwill. We've seen it happen to Rodgers earlier.
Speaker 2: In this time, Drew Bloodshell almost died on a football field when he got laid out Drew Bledsoe six, five and a half to thirty. I mean, it's just it's the I mean, Cam Newton's career thirty two, he was done. Cam's huge.
Speaker 1: Do you think you're I kind of like your thing about by the second year Thanksgiving, It's like, yeah, we're kind of out the Panthers thing. I know they got a lot.
Speaker 2: Of Will Levice, Bryce Young. I watched today. I'm like, I don't think it works. I don't think it works.
Speaker 1: This is why I like the Saints. I'm like, people are hard on Derek. He was bad for a lot of last year. Well he gets the Shanahan guy when he gets a good offensive coach. I think they got a good defense. I'm like, you watch Saints from my pick to win the division. Now, I know understand they're playing the Panthers, But what did Derek Carr look like today? Really good? Through three touchdowns? He looks good and Bryce Young look like lost someone that shouldn't be on a field. That's try one. Physically one. Physically, he's the smallest looking guy in the league by a mile at that position. Because even Kyler at the moment's notice, he can take off Bryce can't. Arm's not great, and then he's clearly not that accurate. That's right.
Speaker 2: Today's struggles. Well, Will Levis today, there was a play when Will Levis was rolling right and he is too muscular. He was rolling right and he should have just rolled and thrown it. He rolled satuh, And I'm like, Will, you got to throw in the move. You can't set every time you throw the football. You got to be able to run and just sling it. And I watched Will Levis today. He's too rigid, he's too tight, he's not fluid. He's not going to make it in this league.
Speaker 1: Everything the GM tell you that. His pictures at the combine are like what is this guy doing? Like, get out of the weight room.
Speaker 2: He's not a fluid thrower. Everything is just like solid, everything's mechanical. He's not gonna work in this league. Everything needs set up. And he's got these weird ticks when he throws it. It's like he watched it. He looks at himself in the mirror too much. He likes to look pretty when he throws. Dude, sometimes this shit's ugly. Move throw it. And Bryce Young to your point, I thought he was incredibly accurate. He's not strong. He missed two guys today by eight yards open. I mean miss them badly. It's like, okay, you can't that's the NFL. And Caleb, by the way, I missed a couple of open guys that was a little problematic. But Bryce Young to I'm like, Bryce, you don't have the size. You have to be accurate.
Speaker 1: That's it for you.
Speaker 2: Like bo Knicks has to be accurate.
Speaker 1: He's not.
Speaker 2: He's not six ' five and running over people. Will levis too mechanical, not gonna work. Daniel Jones too mechanical, doesn't see the field, not gonna work. Bryce Young small not as accurate as I thought.
Speaker 1: I just think it's unraveling on him. You know, last year they fired all these coaches, get a new guy in, and then today. I don't think it could go any worse because even the giants like they get their ass kicked. Everyone thought Daniel Jones is awful. Yeah, Like people are like, oh, let's give Bryce a kind of a mulligain. He gets his offensive play caller. Before you even blinkets twenty to nothing. Balls are flying over Honey Badger and all the dbs are laughing. I mean they weren't even close. And that's the thing. Like Deshaun Watson's shoulder injury, is he trying to throw every ball seventy five yards pass?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 1: I give Caleb the first NFL game Like, yeah, he some balls flying all over the place Game one, Deshaun even Bryce, Like, you got a full season last year and you've played this team before, but that confidence goes. You start questioning yourself and then all of a sudden, you know, it's like a golf swing. If you start guiding it, the ball is gonna go out of bounce. Just let it rip. Dak Prescott is just letting it rip. Yeah, doesn't mean every pass is going to be perfect, but you can't be thinking. And you watch Bryce, it's like he's totally thinking and then his physical skills aren't great and it just goes. This is I think the Panthers are gonna be really really bad because that division. I know Atlanta lost today, but they were I'll give you Alanta credit. They were flying around, hitting people pretty Tampa was pretty loaded with talent. Saints are gonna be solid. Like that's everyone thinks that division is gonna suck. I'm actually on the opposite. I think it's gonna be pretty competitive beside Carolina, Like, who are they beaten out of those three teams? That could be an oh and six in the division.
Speaker 2: John Middlecuff, I'm gonna go watch Lions rams every Sunday at least an hour. Chop it up. Former NFL scout. His podcast is three and out. Well we got one in the books, my man.
Speaker 1: We do. And the Trojans look like a playoff team early on Colin they really I'm not I would never have said that two weeks ago, but how do you deny it? Now?
Speaker 2: You know what you notice about usc Is Danton Lynn is the defensive coordinator they went and the way they went and found like guys who had been head coaches. I mean they they literally improved on every coach and the staff. And you know what they do defensively. They don't give you any cheap stuff. They don't blow any coverages, Like half of what coaching is about. Are you lined up in the right spot in the last four or five years, you're like Jesus, we just don't have the guys in the right. I said this, a screen pass the last two years before this year, a screen pass against USC might as well have been a double reverse. They were completely flummixed by basic I mean like jet sweeps, screen passes. They were out of sorts. They're you're not going to FOOLO. Nothing you can do offensively. You can tell they're really well drilled. They play fast, they play smart, they're lined up. Sometimes I think people forget this in every industry. They're bad pilots. I mean, you know Sully Sullenberger when he landed that plane on the Hudson. Not every pilot can do that. That is a top one percent a pilot. I've had multiple doctors in my career, you know, like all of us. I've had bad agents. I've had bad attorneys. I had a bad doctor. Like just because people make a lot of money, you start looking at some of these coaches, especially at the college level, John, there are bad, bad coaches. USC had won the previous two years. I don't think they have great talent. I don't think they're defensive talents close to Georgia Ohio State. They never I've watched every snap from two games. I've yet to see them in the wrong spot.
Speaker 1: To me, what jumps out their skill guys look a lot better and I don't fall recruiting that close, So I don't know all these guys beside the one little returner who's obviously pretty darktch. But their group of wide receivers and running back they just look like a well coached, explosive unit. If they're playing Oregon this week on a neutral field, they blow them out, what would the line be? How could you give USC points? Everyone would be USC. They would beat Oregon today. I don't. We'll see how that plays out in three months. But right now they are a better team than Oregon. Who would have thought anyone would be able to say that, even if you were, like yourself, a believer and where they were headed. Think how crazy and fast that turned, I mean in fourteen days.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you know, it's funny about the transfer portal. They did a really good job. They went and got two giits from Oregon State brothers LA kids. It was like, really smart, a middle linebacker and a safety, brothers the best two Oregon State defenders. They went and they used their money in the transfer portal smart smartly, they just went and got a lot of solid guys that two from UCLA, two from Oregon State players who had played together on defenses that got along. So it was like the chemistry as they brought. They weren't like four guys from forty.
Speaker 1: It wasn't a mercenary signing guys left and right.
Speaker 2: Two UCLA guys from the secondary, a couple of Mississippi State guys, a couple of Oregon State guys. So it's like the team that it's very unified. There is no superstar, no superman. You can just tell the team. You watch the sideline for USC, it's like these guys are all like we're the same high school class four years ago. They like each other.
Speaker 1: You can now they got a good they got They got a good vibe, a really good vibe.
Speaker 2: It's a very unified vibe. Good stuff on all right, buddy. The NFL Week one is here in a new season means new ways to get in on the action at DraftKings, sports book and official sports betting partner of the NFL. So fans have spoken they want to bet on touchdowns. Draft Kings hurt us. They're delivering DraftKings sports books the number one place the bet Touchdowns. Ready to place your first bet, Try betting on something simple like picking a player to score a touchdown. Ready to do a touchdown dance of your own New Draft Kings customers bet just five bucks to get two hundred and fifty bucks in bonus bets instantly plus one month of NFL plus premium on US. Download the DraftKings sports book at real easy ninety second. Use the code colin and the new code Colin for new customers will get you two hundred and fifty bucks in bonus bets betting just five and one month of NFL plus premium on US. Offer in September nineteenth only on DraftKings. The Crown is Yours.
Speaker 3: Gambling Problem call one eight hundred gambler In New York call eight seven seven eight hope and Y, or text hope and Y four six seven three six nine. In Connecticut. Help is available for problem gambling. Call eight eight eight seven eight nine seven seven seven seven or visit CCPG dot org. Please play responsibly on behalf of Boothill, Casino and Resorting Kansas twenty one and over. Agent eligibility varies by jurisdiction. Void in New Hampshire, Oregon. In Ontario. Bonus bets expire one hundred and sixty eight hours after issuance. For additional terms and responsible gaming resources, see DKNG dot co slash ft Ball. NFL Plus premium offer available only to new and former NFL Plus subscribers. Additional NFL Plus premium terms at NFL dot com slash terms