Speaker 1: Is this a great game or what with the Hall of Famer Tim Kirkshin. I'm his son, Jeff Kirkchhen and Dad. You just got back to your house after a great All Star week in Atlanta.
Speaker 2: Welcome home. It was great, Jeff. It was a great home run derby. It was a tremendous All Star Game just because of the unique way that it finished. It was just a marvelous week in hot Atlanta. And I mean that quite literally because it was steaming hot. But the games were great, the camaraderie was great. Baseball was the big winner this week for sure.
Speaker 1: And you know, I was watching all your great coverage on ESPN, whether it's Sports Center Baseball Tonight. You did an incredible job, and I popped on the TV and boom, there's pop up with our guest from yesterday's episode, Chipper Jones, just hanging out on Baseball Tonight.
Speaker 2: That was cool. Chipper was all over the place, Jeff. See, when you're like a local star like Chipper is. I think he's one of the four greatest Braves of all time. You're like the host for the All Star Game, when you're the Hall of Famer and everything goes through you. So he told me that he was in a restaurant on Monday night and Derek Jeter came by and he said, he got me in a headlock, and he said, are you exhausted yet? Because Derek Jeter knows what it's like to kind of be the host of something like this. So I asked, Derek Jeter, did you get Chipper in an actual headlock? And he goes, he's exaggerating that I didn't hurt it, my promise. So great little back and forth between Chipper Jones and Derek Jeter and Chipper was all over the place. And Jeff, just like he was so insightful and hilarious on our podcast, he was the same on Baseball tonight. He's just got a great, great way about him as he explained the All Star Game what it meant to him, but especially to the Braves and to the city of Atlanta.
Speaker 1: So if you are listening right now and you didn't have a chance to listen to Chipper Jones's interview, it's just the previous episode here on the feed, So just cycle back one either after this episode or do it right now and make sure to subscribe wherever you're listening. Rate the show all that good stuff to help continue us growing.
Speaker 3: Is this a great game or what with you?
Speaker 1: So, Dad, I want to hear all the All Star Game stuff. I mean, this is a unique episode because usually we have games to talk about, but the only game that has been played since we lasted a podcast was the All Star Game. So do you want to start with the Derby or do you want to start with the All Star Game?
Speaker 2: How do you want to go about this? We're gonna start with the All Star Game because the All Star Game was a quirk gin. There is no there are no quartions this week because the All Star Game was the quirk gin. Jeff. It was so interesting and we never even considered there was to be a tie game in the All Star Game because the National League had a six to nothing lead and there was zero chance the American League was coming back. But to their credit, and I tell you all the time, Jeff, you know, teams they really don't care who wins the All Star Game. They just want to have a great time, try their hardest, and if they win, great, But the American League really fought their way back. And I was the dugout reporter on radio, so I was in the American League dugout for all of this, and it was really cool to see how the momentum started to gain. Down six to nothing, they come back to tie the game six to six after nine, which of course led us to the first well yeah, the first home run derby, the first swing off to win an All Star Game. Ever, so the people who either weren't watching or don't know the rules, you get to pick three guys per team, American leaguers three National leaguers. Now, part of the rules, and the rules were a little sketchy, is that you had to take a guy who had played in the second half of the game, okay, as opposed to getting a guy who maybe played two innings, has been sitting for three hours, and now you ask him to come out and get three pitches and hit three homers. So, in other words, Aaron Judge show, Hey Otani. They came out of the game early, and they were gone by the time the home run derby came, so you know when everyone arrived, Jeff, This is important to note they were all told on Monday, Look, we might have a home run derby after the All Star Game. If there's a tie. Who is willing to do it. So Kyle Schwarber, who ended up, of course being the hero. They asked him and he said, well, of course I'll do it. Well, as it turned out, they really needed him. Every player was allowed to say no, I'm not interested in participating. I'm not sure that was the case, but like Big Dumper, cal Rally was never even considered for this because he came out of the game after in the fifth inning, so you had to choose from there on out. And that's what made it so so interesting.
Speaker 1: It was a fascinating finish to an All Star game. And you know, I've seen on Twitter, I've seen on social media mixed reactions, Dad, people saying, oh, you can't end a baseball game like that?
Speaker 2: What the heck?
Speaker 1: And other people saying the game doesn't matter anymore, so let's let's finish it in such a crazy way.
Speaker 2: Why not?
Speaker 3: And that's that's the boat I'm in, Listen.
Speaker 1: Will never end another baseball game like that, so why not do it? Why not add a little spice? It took me back to Little League, Dad. I feel like that that that is something that you would do in at the Coopertown Dreams Park as a fun activity between games that was fun, right, was legendary.
Speaker 2: What made it interesting also, Jeff, is that the fans at the ballpark, and trust me, I was there, weren't They weren't sure what was going on when it's six six after nine and then they bring out the l screen and put it right in front of the pitcher's mound, like, what is going on here? But again, I was with the American League, so I'm standing right in the middle of these guys. The level of energy was remarkable as they started to get ready for this. And then when Brent Rooker, who hit a three run homer in the All Star Game, now he comes up as the first batter for the American League and hits two homers. Jeff, you should have seen those guys leaping up and down. It's like they were in junior high school and the fans were into it. So you're right, this is a meaningless game. It's an exhibition game. No one is suggesting we should start to do this for a regular season game that will count in the standings. But what a perfect way to end this in an All Star game. It was just great. So Kyle Schwarber comes up, and Kyle Schwarber is your boy, Jeff, because he is so built for something like this. So he comes up and of course you're allowed three swings. He hits three home runs on three swings and gives the National League a commanding lead. So he's the first player ever to hit three home runs in an All Star Game, even though that doesn't really count. We know that. But he won the MVP for that performance because then Jonathan Randa came up, and he's the last hitter for the American League, and if he doesn't hit at least one homer, it's over. And Pete Alonso, who was on his way to becoming the MVP of the All Star Game, didn't even get a chance to bat because Jonathan Randa missed by about five feet hitting a home run that would have tied it. I mean, would have got it in shooting here and given Pete Alonso a chance to hit a home run. It was so so good. But Jeff, this is the point. I'm watching this and Aaron Boone looks at me and he goes, this is great. This is like whiffle ball in the backyard. I sat next to Brad Austma's former major league player, bench coach for the Yankees. He just looks at me and goes, this is so much fun. And when it was all over, I go to Corbyn Carroll. I'm doing the show on the radio, so I'm interviewing guys on the radio. I say to Corbyn CARROLLLL of the Diamondbacks, I said, what was that? And he goes, that was madness And that's exactly what it was. But Jeff, it was a really good madness that the fans loved it, but more important, the players loved it and nobody got hurt. The bottom line is, you were at the game in Milwaukee for the tie game, right. Do you remember what happened when they decided that that was a tie game? What happened, Jeff? It was chaos, right, people were what they were booing.
Speaker 3: They were so mad.
Speaker 1: And that's not the way an All Star game, even twenty three years ago, needs to be finished. I mean, I have such a core memory of the fans. I was young too, but we were up for the whole game, and it was not the way to end.
Speaker 3: The Midsummer Class, you know what I mean. It's just such a negative feeling, right.
Speaker 2: I felt sorry for Bud Sealing that day. The commissioner. He just kind of shrugged his shoulders, like, what can we do here? Well, they couldn't do anything for that game, but they could do something for this game, and as it turned out, it was absolutely tremendous. So look, I understand we should have had Judge at O'tani and the sixth best home run hitters. I don't think so. Jeff Brent Rooker, who was great in this home run Derby, great in the All Star Game, and great in the second home run Derby, has the third most home runs in the American League the last three years, behind Big Dumper Cal Raley and Aaron Judge. So don't tell me that he didn't belong in the home run Derby to decide the All Star Game. I thought it was great. I thought the whole thing was great, and the level of energy and excitement and enthusiasm for the fans and the players absolutely sold it for me.
Speaker 1: You know, Dad, I know you were obviously doing the game for radio. So on the television broadcast last night, a highlight for me had to be Clayton Kershaw miked up during the two batters he faced, and he was hysterical.
Speaker 2: Dad.
Speaker 1: He was taking us through his process. I kind of want to throw a slider. Now, maybe I'll hit him with a fastball.
Speaker 3: Oh, that one's a little short.
Speaker 2: Uh oh.
Speaker 1: And then Dad, he threw a strike like right down the middle, and he goes, whoa down the middle.
Speaker 3: Thank goodness, he didn't swing.
Speaker 2: But Jeff, it's wonderful we can mike up a pitch. We're also micing up the best picture of this generation, one of the greatest pictures of all time. And for him to be so playful in an All Star Game and entertain us so greatly when who knows this could be his last year, who knows this could be his last All Star game. He was a legend pick for this and the legend really came through because he faced two batters including cal Raley. How great is that? And he struck out the second batter that he faced, which was really really cool and it was absolutely tremendous. But the home run derby after the game really saved it. Jeff. So I interviewed Kyle Schwarber after the game and I said, Kyle, look, I know you just played in the game, but how did you get ready to go up there and hit, you know, swing at three straight pitches? And he said, well, Chapman broke my bat with one hundred and two mile an hour sinkers. So he said, I had to go get a new bat because he broke it in the game. I had to go get a new bat, and I was ready. And when I asked Corbyn Carrol like, what about Kyle Schwarber just going up there taking three swings and hitting three homers. And he looked at me and he goes, well, we're kind of used to Kyle Schwarber doing things like that, so nobody was surprised. If I could have picked anyone on both of those teams to go up there and do what Kyle Schwarber did, I would have picked Kyle Schwarber. I think he was perfect for that event.
Speaker 1: Now Kyle Schwarber can add another home run in his cap because he is the only player and I'm going to make sure I get this right. He's the only player to home run in the AL and the NL, in the CSDS and wild Card Rounds, World Series, World Baseball Classic Home Run Derby, and now swing off to end an All Star Game. So he has added another feather to his cap as one of the only players to do all of those things.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it will only player to do all those right.
Speaker 2: It was just priceless. We walked home from the game, we walked back to our hotel after the game, and we just it was just it was marvelous, just how different it was. And it has to be said one more time, Jef, it's an exhibition game. We're allowed to do things like this. The alternative was a tie, and that is not a good alternative.
Speaker 1: No, And I think what's fair is fair. I think we move on from there. Anybody who's upset about it, listen, it doesn't even matter at the end of the day. And if you want to throw an asterisk, sure go ahead. But it was fun for all of us watching, I'll tell you that much.
Speaker 2: And the only thing that I mean it was more fun than the home run Derby Jet. But the home run Derby was tremendous. So cal Rally, who was a has been a folk hero in Seattle for three years now at least, he is now a folk hero all across the country. He is a folk hero all the way through the Major League. What he did with his family in the home run derby was incredible. As you know, Jeff, he advanced past Brent Rooker in one of the rounds by less than an inch in the combined home run totals. I mean, what are the chances of that happening? But that's how he advanced. And then he went on to win the home run derby, hitting right handed and left handed, which is just remarkable. But I don't want to be corny about this, Jeff. What stole the show for me is that his dad, Todd, was the pitcher and his little brother Tea they call him, was the catcher. He just turned fifteen years old. I interviewed his dad like in between rounds, and he said, like, there could be no other great day for a dad than this, because I'm thrown to my son in the home run derby and my other son is catching in the home run derby. He said it was just incredible, and Dad told me and he threw really really well. Jeff. He's by the way, he's a coach. He coached at Western Carolina and Tennessee. He played, he caught at Western Carolina. I tell people this all the time, and no one listens, Jeff. One reason that cal Raley is such a great all round player with a baseball iq off the charts is because of his father. He's a coach. He taught him how to play, he taught him how to conduct himself in every single way. So after it was all over, I said to cal Raley, I said, like on the radio, how are you going to celebrate with your dad the pitcher and with your brother the catcher? And he goes, well, my brother's only fifteen years old. He can't drink, So we're gonna go out and have a beer in his honor tonight, me and my dad. So I just thought the whole thing was priceless. And you must have also as a viewer from home with the energy and ball balls flying all over the place, but the personal story brought there by the Raleigh family just stole the night from me. Yeah.
Speaker 1: And I think a big testament to how great the coverage of it was was my wife Emily, who we've established did not grow up like this huge, big baseball fan like I grew up, but she's grown to love the game. But she loved the coverage of the home run derby because of finding out about his dad pitching and the kids that are out in the infield or the kids catching the balls in the outfield, like how special that event is. And if you ever have a chance to go to an All Star Game, don't pass up going to the home Run Derby. That place was packed, the energy was magnetic. I'm sure it was hot as all get out. But Dad, next year, not to get ahead of myself, it's in Philadelphia, And I told my wife Emily, we are absolutely not missing East the home run Derby, but most definitely the home run Derby and the All Star Game.
Speaker 2: Right. And what you don't know, Jeff, is next year there is a media home run Derby. Okay, and I will be throwing to you. Okay. I'm the media member, so I'll be This is a joke, Jeff. Don't worry. You don't have to go to the cage anytime soon.
Speaker 1: Dad, I didn't ever hit a little league home run in mit. And I'm not talking about I'm talking about a little league home run where ball goes under the left fielder's feet and then it gets thrown over the second baseman's head and it gets thrown over the third baseman's head and you get a home run. That's what we call a little I didn't even have one of those in my career, never.
Speaker 2: Mind Jeff, you're a good athlete. Stop being so hard on yourself. As for the home run derby, other than cal Raley, O'Neil Cruz hit a ball five hundred and thirteen feet, So I interviewed him on the field and he needed an interpreter, and I asked the interpreter, how is it possible for a human being to hit a ball five hundred and thirteen feet and O'Neil crewe who said, well, God gave me that, and it's the truth. Jeff, he's six seven, okay. I was also struck that James Wood is six seven and those guys competed in the home run derby with Byron Buxton, who's one of the great athletes ever to play in the Major leagues. Great high school basketball player, obviously an all star baseball player, and in high school he was a tremendous football player who once told the coach, I'm going to go to one end line of the football field and I'm going to see how far I can throw football. He wasn't a quarterback, and he threw a football eighty two yards in the air. Eighty two yards. So my thinking is, Jeff, we could There were so many athletes at the All Star Game in baseball, which is kind of the idea now baseball is trying to show everyone, Look how athletic our guys are. I've been telling you for years. It's unbelievable how big, strong and fast these guys are. So in the derby we had James Wood, O'Neil Cruz, and Byron Buxton. I think we should have had a slam dunk contest after the home run derby on Monday night. We could have gotten Aaron Judge six seven in it, and we could have gotten Elie d la Cruz, the amazing shortstop six' four who could jump out of the. Building imagine that dunk contest between those five. Guys, now with all due respect TO nba, Players, jeff imagine if we had a home run hitting contest among guys in the dunk contest in THE. Nba how do you think that would? Go maybe not so.
Speaker 3: Good, no it would not Go it would not go good at. All that it would be.
Speaker 2: Embarrassing, well maybe. Not i'm just trying to make a point AS i defend baseball players every single day of my. Life they are amazing, athletes AND i promise You James wood could dunk it with his eyes closed in any way that you. Want And i'm sure O'deal cruz, Can i'm Sure Aaron, Judge AND i just think it would have been a really cool thing to show the athleticism of our baseball.
Speaker 1: Players coming up next here on is this a great? Game or what we've got on this date in baseball? History we've also got From ozzie To oral the best of All tim which in celebration of The All Star. GAME i think you know what team we're going to, pick and then a Team tim on the lines of the home Run. Derby it's all coming up. Next welcome back to is this a great? Game or what? That on this date in baseball? History july the, seventeenth.
Speaker 2: Right nineteen forty, One Joe DiMaggio's fifty six game hitting streak ended against The Cleveland. Indians Ken, keltner the third basement for The, indians famously made two really good defensive plays to stop the. Streak right, There, Jeff i'm sixty eight years. OLD i HOPE i live a lot, longer BUT i will not be alive for anybody hitting in fifty six straight. Games that's how amazing it. Was What demaggio. Did And i've told you this, Before, jeff during the fifty six game hitting, streak he struck out five, times no, time no times in the final thirty two games of the hitting. Streak think about that for a second. Again strikeout rate, today out of, control pitching, today out of. Control zero strikeouts final thirty two. Games five strikeouts in fifty six, games incredib, unbelievable. Unbelievable nineteen seventy. FOUR i love, This, Jeff Bob gibson struck out batter number three thousand in his career to Join Walter. Johnson ever tell YOU i went To Walter Johnson High. School, hey as the only three thousand strikeout guys in, history and to get to three, thousand he struck Out Sesar, geronimo number three. Thousand we joke about. Him he was a great defensive center. Fielder six years, Later Jeff Nolan ryan struck out batter numberumber three, thousand and you know who he struck. Out don't say, it, Yes Seesar. Geronimo how about?
Speaker 3: That that's.
Speaker 1: UNBELIEVABLE i, mean imagine that they stopped the game for both of THOSE i would, assume, Right and There's Seysar geronimo walking back to his dugout, thinking oh, crap now they got to stop the whole, game right because of?
Speaker 2: This? Right AND i always Quote Steve, russian who was one of our great guests last, year to get this. Year he wrote it as one of his. Books he, Said i've always wondered What Sasar geronimo yelled when he jumped out of an. Airplane love that so? Much, okay a couple other. Things on this, date in nineteen sixty, One Ty cobb, died one of the great players of all. Time i'm in the vast minority, Here, jeff BUT i think if we gave him six months to figure out how to Play Major League baseball, today he would be a star in today's. Game and it came his birthday comes the day after there was no tie in The All Star. Game But Ty cop died on this date in nineteen sixty. One And Don, kessinger jeff great shortstop for The Chicago, cubs was born on this date in nineteen forty. Two AND i just love, This. Jeff his grandson Is Gray, kessinger who's played for The astros several times up and down the minor leagues And Grey kessinger is a great defensive, player and he has a unique understanding of the. Game and he told me he and his grandfather would drive all sorts of places together and they had two rules when they, drove no cell, phones no, radio and all those two did grandfather and grandson was talk about baseball on their, drives and he said. That gray told, me you, know like my grandfather would tell, Me, okay here we, go first and, third eighth, inning one run, game and ball's hit to your. Left you're playing, shortstop fast, guy first faster runner at the. Plate what are you doing with the? Ball and these are the little things that made Great kessinger such a great defensive player is he got this kind of tutelage from his, grandfather who was a Terrific major league. Shortstop love that, stuff.
Speaker 1: You, Know, dad that reminds me so. Much we used to talk about things like. That but also people always ask me what was it like growing up with you as a?
Speaker 3: Dad AND i remember so.
Speaker 1: Distinctly we would go see like A disney, movie this is really. Young we'd go in the movie theaters and at the end you would ask, me, so what was that movie all? About and it was my goal to tell you what that movie was about in like less than ten, seconds not, rushing but to be able to speak succinctly and quickly in order to tell a. Story AND i remember you, saying, oh, well you could tighten that one, up you, Know And i'd be, like, So simba's dad passed, away it's all going to him and he needs to learn to be a. Man and you, know AND i just remember those car rides so vividly because of the time we.
Speaker 2: Spent, again, Well, JEFF i was just trying to prepare you for what you were going to do with your, life and that is be out in front and be able to get to the crux of the, problem the, issue whatever it. Is SO i remember you were like five And kelly was maybe, eight and we Saw October sky you know this, Story AND i, said a great movie makes me cry out loud all the. Time SO i, Said, jeff what was that movie? About you And kelly are in the, car and you, said, well it was about a. Rocket what? Else So kelly gave it a great deal of, thought a great deal of. Thought and FINALLY i, Said, kelly what was that movie? About and she, Said, dad that was about a father and a, son and it Was it just made, Me it just makes me tear up even to think That kelly could figure that. Out and that was a great movie and a tear jerger on the highest. Order ain't that the?
Speaker 3: Truth All?
Speaker 1: Right, dad let's go From ozzie To. Oral you're gonna give us the best player to wear each number in the history Of Major League.
Speaker 3: Baseball And, Dad i'll tell you right.
Speaker 1: Now on social media you cause quite a, stir but you always, say this is your, list not the, list, Right And i'm just, Saying, dad some, guys you, know they just they just go in and they support their, guy, right and this is your. List last week we did twenty seven and twenty. Eight now we're on number twenty. Nine who is the best player to wear that?
Speaker 2: Night? WELL i strongly Considered John smoltz in part because the green Room jeff In atlanta for The All Star game was called The Small. Troom so the green room that we operated out of was called the Smolt. Troom it was right next to The Maddox room and The Glavin room and The Chipper Jones. Room So John smoltz was right across the hall and he walked into our room and, Said i've never been in the smolt room. Before and he looked, around he, laughed and he, Said i've done the square. Footage it is bigger than The chipper, room The glavin, room for The maddox. Room SO i Asked chipper. THIS i told him this on the. AIR i, SAID i said the observation made By John. Smoltz and of Course chipper laughed out loud and he, said of, course Only smoltzy would think that. Way and he, Said i'm pretty sure he actually did the square footage to make sure that his room was. Bigger that's how, Competitive that's how Competitive John smoltz. Was so number twenty nine is Not John, smoltz even though he's a very close. SECOND i have to go With Rod, carew of, course first Ballot hall Of, famer one of the great hitters That i've ever, seen AND i grew up watching him play three twenty eight lifetime, average Eighteen All star, games seven batting. Titles nineteen seventy, seven he won THE mvp that, year he at three eighty eight with an ops of one point zero one. Nine he was. Amazing And jeff that year he got two hundred and thirty nine, hits stole and scored one hundred and twenty eight. Runs But, jeff when people ask me all these bizarre, questions he's the best bunter That i've ever. Seen Wan pierre was, Good Brett butler was. Good Rod carew was the best Bunter i've ever. Seen AND i was talking to somebody the other day and he said That Rod carew, occasionally more than, occasionally would draw a circle on the field during early batting, practice and he would bunt one hundred straight balls and make sure they all ended up in the. Circle that's how skilled he. Was wow at pushing a bunt down the third base line or dragging a bunt down the first base. Line he could, Bunt he, said he could bunt like one hundred straight balls into a. Circle bunting his lost, art not On rod Crew that's one reason why for, me for me, only he's the great number twenty. Nine, ever that sounds like something a golfer would. Do, yeah that kind of, exercise, Right. Jeff there's so many similarities between golf and. Baseball it's. Incredible by the, WAY i Asked Chipper, jones who's been a lot big part of yesterday and today's. PODCAST i, say how much golf do you? Play he, GOES i played twenty seven holes Every tuesday and Every thursday without. Fail so he, SAYS i tell everyone THAT i know my agent who needs me for stuff. Whatever i'm not available On tuesday And. Thursday if you need me to do, Anything i'm Available, Monday, wednesday And. Friday But tuesday And THURSDAY i play fifty four holes each. DAY i love.
Speaker 1: It, YEAH i mean the TIME i spend editing and putting together this podcast is the same amount of time he spends weekly playing.
Speaker 2: Golf.
Speaker 1: Yeah when my friends, asked do you ever get out? THERE i said not with three episodes a week. On is this a great game or What?
Speaker 2: Jef, Jeff we're gonna get you some. Help we just have to make some. Money we don't make any money do the. Show we're doing this by. Ourselves we're just doing that's.
Speaker 3: A great it's a great time to.
Speaker 1: Say if anybody is looking to be involved with endorsing or, sponsoring is this a great? Game or? What reach Out jeff at great? Game or what dot com rate start at just one?
Speaker 2: Dollar? All, right here we.
Speaker 3: Go are we gonna move on to. Thirty are you doing two?
Speaker 2: Today, No we're gonna do thirty next. Week thirty is, difficult And i'm Gonna i'm gonna just try one at a time, Here, okay.
Speaker 1: All, right so number thirty will be next, Week, Dad just out of, curiosity have you timed this out because it's ouzzy to oral one to fifty? Five are you timing this out to try to get us to basically the playoffs by fifty?
Speaker 2: Five we'll get to fifty, five trust, ME i.
Speaker 1: Know OH I i'm saying we're we're ahead of. Pace we're at The All star break and we're already at.
Speaker 2: Thirty so we're gonna we're gonna slow, down say when we get to number forty, four because number forty four Is Hank. Aaron and we will talk greatly About Hank, aaron as we will today Because, jeff he is our best of all tim we have picked the best player from each. Franchise we're up to number, eighteen And Hank aaron obviously is the Greatest brave. Ever and at The All Star, Game, jeff they did a tribute To Hank. Aaron did you see? It did you see?
Speaker 3: It it Was, Dad it was so.
Speaker 1: Incredible the internet was just in awe about it, all AND i, mean it was so. Beautiful on seven, Fifteen july, fifteenth honoring home run seven, fifteen we Had Tom house on the podcast earlier this year on the anniversary of the day that seven fifteen was, hit and he was the one who caught the.
Speaker 3: Ball if you listen to the.
Speaker 1: Episode if you, didn't you got to go back and listen to, it because he ran the ball Into, hank his. Teammate, Anyway, dad it was so spectacular and so. Beautiful what was it like in? Person is it equally as?
Speaker 2: Cool it was so, powerful it was so beautifully. Done whoever put that together deserves An emmy or An oscar or something because that was. Beautiful and you, know we were talking about the biggest home runs in baseball, History, JEFF i think that has the distinction of the most important home run in baseball. History does that make? Sense different than, Say mazarowski's which won the nineteen Sixty World. SERIES i think you can make that the biggest home run In Major league, history but the most important one was When Hank aaron Passed Babe ruth on the all time. List does that make?
Speaker 3: SENSE i think it makes.
Speaker 1: Sense dad And Tom house went into this on the, episode but it bears repeating also to think about what the country was going through at that time and how so, many so many did not like the thought of a black man being the home run leader of all, time and how culturally that was difficult for the country for people who didn't see that as something that could happen when it was breaking down barriers as it. SHOULD i, mean it's similar to that in a different way To Jackie robinson breaking the color. Barrier, Right, dad this is the important monumental things that happened in our.
Speaker 2: Game. Right it was. Amazing And i've told you this story, Before, Jeff but here's how Revered Hank aaron was from everyone in the. Game Aaron, boone who grew up in, baseball grew up on a baseball, field was at the ballpark with his dad when he was three years, old And boonie can talk to anybody about. Anything twenty Fourteen All Star. Game we're In. Minneapolis he's working FOR. Espn he gets off the elevator and he sees me and his face is like ASHEN i, said he, said guess WHO i just saw in the. ELEVATOR i, said Who he, Said Hank. AARON i, said, wow what did you say to? Him he, SAID i didn't know what to. SAY i was. SPEECHLESS i couldn't even. SPEAK i, said, what you could talk to anyone he, Goes but that Was Hank. Aaron that's how Revered Hank aaron was In Aaron boone's. Mind And i've told you my, Story, jeff but the highlight of my career was Interviewing Hank aaron for four innings during a baseball, game you, know seven or eight years, ago ten years, ago whatever it was With Dave fleming And Eduardo. Perez SO i sat next To Hank aaron for four, innings an hour and a, half next to one of the greatest players of all time and one of the greatest people we'll ever. See he was so, funny he was so. Charming his recall was. Unbelievable, JEFF i stopped keeping score of a major league game BECAUSE i was mesmerized by the man sitting to my. Left so after the game was, over, OKAY i looked At. Twitter never a good idea to look At twitter after you've called a major league, game trust. Me some guy wrote in and he, said if anyone ever looks at you the way That Tim kirkchen looked At Hank aaron, tonight you should marry that. Person that's how magical it was being in the booth that night With Eduardo perez And Dave, fleming and they say the same thing that that was one of the highlights of their entire career was getting to sit next To Hank aaron and have him tell us stories of his. Life it was absolutely. Tremendous so that is the best of all tim perfect time to do, it Because Hank aaron was all Over atlanta during The All Star, game as he should have, been the Greatest brave of all.
Speaker 1: Time, dad you mentioned keeping score during the. Game that's something that you taught me to. Do and do you know my two favorite keeping score during the game stories was WHEN i was a. KID i tried to take score during the two thousand and Two All Star, game my first Ever All star, game trying to keep score during WHICH i do not recommend for a nine year old at that.
Speaker 3: Time even if.
Speaker 1: The game isn't in extra innings and doesn't even end up finishing with a final, score the amount of substitutions.
Speaker 3: You're gonna run out of room on your.
Speaker 2: Scorecard it was so.
Speaker 1: Difficult and then my other favorite keeping score story is you REMEMBER i took my high school girlfriend to A nationals game and AS i was getting ready to, LEAVE i was getting my scorebook to take with, me and you looked at me with such, disappointment THINKING i have raised an equally nerdy.
Speaker 2: Kid.
Speaker 3: Jeff you can't go keep.
Speaker 1: Score when you bring a girl to a baseball, game you have to pay.
Speaker 2: Attention to, Her. Jeff and NORMALLY i would do that from, experience BUT i don't THINK i ever took a girl to it, all to a baseball, game BECAUSE i don't THINK i took a girl anywhere UNTIL i met your. MOTHER i, mean it's just it's. Terrible, yes you should. Not you should not if you don't know what you're, doing and that the girl's not that, interested maybe you shouldn't bring your score.
Speaker 1: Book so all, Right, dad for today's wrapping up today's, episode you have a special team ten AND i think this is probably one of the most creative you've ever come up. With AND i would like to introduce it because my little quirk gin of the, day which of course everybody knows at this point is Cal rally is the first catcher ever to win The Home Run, Derby and THEN i realized he's the last position to win. It so, like now we have a player at every position who has won The Home Run, derby and the catcher was the last one we were waiting for, obviously besides pitcher.
Speaker 2: Technically right, Right SO i told Cal raley that after the game on the, RADIO i, said you're the first catcher ever to win The Home Run, derby And jeff his eyes lit up like he needs something else to be excited. About he, goes, WOW i had no idea about, that so he was. Thrilled, Yes so Cal raley obviously is the, catcher and you can go a million different ways at all these, positions But i'm going With Pete alonzo at first base because he won it twice in twenty nineteen and twenty twenty, one and he loved the home Run. Derby he loved competing in as much as Anyone i've ever. Seen Ryan sandberg, Won he's our second. Basement he won The Home Run derby in nineteen ninety in his home ballpark At Wrigley. Field that made it, cool of, course that made it even. Better our third basement Is Todd, fraser of, course who won in twenty fifteen in his home ballpark And jeff that was the first year that they used the clock in the home run derby and his brother was pitching to. HIM i, repeat. Relationship home run derbys are the, best and he because the clock was. Sticking i'll never Forget Todd fraser was screaming at his. Brother throw it, faster throw it, faster beating not, harder just throw it more often because more constantly out of. TIME i still because the clock saved the home run, DERBY i think that was the best One i've ever seen in one, way Because Todd frazier did, it he did it at home and his brother was pitching to. HIM i just loved. It. Spectacular Cal ripkin in nineteen ninety, one one of his TWO mvp, seasons he won the home Run derby In toronto that. Night that was pretty. Cool Ken Griffy junior is one of the outfielders because he's the only one to win it three times nineteen ninety, four nineteen ninety eight and nineteen ninety. Nine Key Griffy junior just barged onto the set Of baseball tonight the other. Night he wasn't even, invited but he was just standing. There So Kevin cotters had to, say you want to come, On so we Brought Ken Griffy junior into the. Show it was just. Priceless it was so so good. Outfielder i'm also Going Josh, hamilton even though he never won a home run, derby the show that he put on that day at the Old Yankee stadium was like nothing anyone had ever. Seen it might be the greatest round of home runs that anyone has ever. Seen Josh hamilton was an amazing athlete with incredible. Power they used to, Say jeff The Sound office, bat you could hear it three fields a. Way in spring, training people would go like, this, Oh josh has TAKEN bp over, there like three hundred feet. Away you could hear. It that's how Great Josh hamilton. Was and of Course Bryce harper in twenty eighteen won the home run derby against his father was the, pitcher and he did it in his home ballpark In. Washington you went to, that, Right, yeah that was.
Speaker 1: INCREDIBLE i love the home ballpark. Stories it makes it all the, better, Right.
Speaker 2: The only thing better than him winning The Home Run derby was me playing in The Celebrity Softball game With Jamie fox And Jamie fox And Bill, nye the science guy WHO i, repeat got the biggest ovation of anyone at The Celebrity Softball game in twenty. Eighteen, So, jeff we don't have a, pitcher but we're gonna use a pitcher for the home Run, derby and we're gonna use Rich donnelly because in one of the earliest home run derbys before we really polished it to make it, better Rich donelly was the batting practice pitcher for everyone in the. Derby so he threw to, everyone you didn't bring your own, guy Rich donelly was your. Guy and you See jeff with the l screen how everyone throws from the front of the. Mound now they're like they're like in front of the. Dirt they could throw really hard from there and throw. Strikes Rich donaldley threw from the top of the, mound right on top of the rubber like a real pitcher would for the entire home RUN wi, derby and he pitched to, everyone isn't that?
Speaker 1: Incredible so HE i, mean no pitch count, There you're not pulling them after ninety nine, Pix.
Speaker 2: Jeff and this is the, point just like Cal raley's Dad todd told me that he. Throws he's in his mid. Fifties he throws batting practice eleven months out of the. Year and you can train your arm to do that if you just keep. Throwing and that's what Rich donelly did for his entire career as a coach and an instructor in the major. Leagues and Rich ono's told, me by the, way a couple of years, ago he threw a twelve minute batting practice session and at the end of the twelve minutes there wasn't one ball left in the. Cage, That, jeff what does that tell? You twelve, minutes no balls left in the? Cage what does that tell? You first, off no one's taking any pitches right because they are all perfect strike. Rides that's the goal of a batting practice pitcher is to throw. Strikes and because he throws such good, strikes everyone hit it out of the, cage meaning no one popped it up into the cage and it. Landed twelve, minutes no balls in the. Cage that has to be a.
Speaker 1: Record, Well, dad this is a great transition to tease who we have joining the show next week because next weekend will Be hall Of fame induction weekend In, cooperstown a very exciting, time And Billy, wagner who is set to be inducted into The hall Of fame in the class of twenty twenty, five will join as our. Guest dad and you bringing Up Todd Todd rally made me think About Billy wagner throwing because he's a coach now he is a and he throws left and right handed batting practice because he can do that.
Speaker 2: Right please tune in and listen To Billy wagner tell the. Story we're not going to give it away this time LIKE i always. Do we're not the time That Kenny, rogers a fellow left handed pitcher and a really good one in the major, leagues Challenge Billy wagner to an event during batting. Practice just tune in to listen to. That that's another story THAT i had never heard. BEFORE i THOUGHT i knew all The Billy wagner. Stories i'd never heard, that and it may be you AND i laugh out.
Speaker 3: Loud make sure to tune in for.
Speaker 1: That that'll be this Coming wednesday here on Is it's a great game or.
Speaker 3: What thank you so much for watching on YouTube or.
Speaker 1: Listening wherever you, listen make sure to, follow, subscribe share it with. Somebody spread the love of baseball with somebody who loves this game as much as we. Do thank you so much for, listening and as, always thanks for being a part of our.
Speaker 2: Family