Speaker 1: The following episode was recorded before the WGA sag Aftra strikes of twenty twenty three.
Speaker 2: You know, I had a big success with Footloose, and I remember a lot of the films that I did after that for a few years didn't pan out, and the idea of playing a lead character was kind of like drying up for me.
Speaker 3: But that was really a.
Speaker 2: Blessing in a lot of ways, because I realized that what I really wanted to do was play characters, and if I was really going to follow my passion, I had to say no to leading roles that just weren't as good as the small parts. And when you do that, it's a scary moment. But there's something really really powerful about being able and learning to say no. And today Matthew McConaughey and me dig into this. He shares in his life and when he had to learn to say no and all the good things that came from that when he did.
Speaker 3: So lean in.
Speaker 4: Listen up.
Speaker 3: I'm pleasure welcoming Matthew McConaughey to this podcast. Thank you so much for being here. It's kind of crazy that our paths haven't crossed really into work. I mean, I think we've met a couple of times, but yeah, and I don't even think we've even been in the same movie, even without scenes. So this is something that I will look forward to and hopefully occur in the future.
Speaker 4: We got time, we had time.
Speaker 3: We do hopefully hopefully. Yeah, where are you now?
Speaker 4: I'm in Austin, Texas.
Speaker 3: This is your home? Correct, This is home.
Speaker 4: Austin, Texas. I went to school here, graduated eighty nine to ninety three, moved out west with the U haul on the career, thankfully started a family made homestead back in Austin, and this is where we are. Three kids. Wife still loves me still once we around, you know. So we're doing all right.
Speaker 3: How old are your kids?
Speaker 4: Fourteen, twelve and nine? Wow?
Speaker 3: Awesome, awesome, you got years are much much younger than my fourteen, twelve and nine. You know, that's I got to say. When we went through this pandemic situation, you know, I was grateful, as hard as it was for all kids, I was grateful that my kids were older than yours because to me at that age, I think back to myself, you know, between being nine and fourteen, I can't imagine how the kids have gotten through it to be so cut off, especially at that moment when you are just ready to explode out into the world and at the friendships and you know, love and sports and all these things.
Speaker 4: We're navigating coming out of that right now, and their re entrance into paternal groups and there, whether it's the ballet or the sports team and have that sense of community for the first time that you can trust, oh, we're going to be with them next week and the week after that, which they didn't have that for three years. They're navigating that and that's even awkward, the reentry. But yeah, those three years were.
Speaker 3: And we.
Speaker 4: I would say, lean, we were on the conservative side of the quarantine. And we have a ninety year old mother who's still with us, who was very susceptible their immune systems, so we really went to lockdown. And that meant obviously, since we were taking care of my mom, that mean we had to sort of keep it tight with the kiddos as well. So I tell you what I mean, good side, more family dinners, they get to see their parents, take care of their grandmother, you know, more I don't know, more puzzles, more stuff. Forced they were forced to get creative and I'm trying to know I'm speaking of the upside, But yeah, they did miss that sort of outside of the house, where can I go? Because that was everybody was in limbo, we as adults were in limbo. I think that was one of the most frustrating parts is you couldn't really make a plan outside of You couldn't project more than in trust, in projection more than four day five days out for so long.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, especially when we had this terrible realization. I've heard a lot of people say this, just like I felt that two weeks and we were going to be done, you know, even though the very smart people were telling us, are you out of your mind? This is not how this rolls? But but you know do it. Being I was in New York, didn't doing the shutdown, and I thought, well, the show's shut down, it'll be back up and run and you know, I'll just I'll come to LA and hang out with But my wife was out here with my son. You know, I have a ninety year old mother in law. And that's the other piece of it that uh, you know, you do you really were We were forced to look at our families as something that was I mean not that I ever take my family and the people in it for granted. But but I do think that the that the pandemic really, as you said, put a big focus on families and how we felt about it. I remember that I was in the quarantine with my son, but I wasn't allowed to see my daughter, and that was like the craziest thing because it's like, here I am with this, with this you know, man in the house. Just it was just a series of coincidences that he happened to be locked He locked un out with us, and then my beautiful little girl, is a few years younger than him, would eventually come over, but we'd be outside and we wouldn't be able to touch each other. And I was like, this is fucking crazy. I mean, this is having when we finally it's the tiniest thing, but you know, when we finally embraced, you know, it was like this beautiful moment that that that I thought, this is something that I have to remember and hold on to. Yeah. Yeah, amen, Well, so you mentioned that you all, I think that's I mean, I'm sure you've walked down down this road many times as I have. But I think that the origin stories of someone that is such a phenomenal performer as yourself are fascinating to people, and I'm I'm curious about that moment where you say, all right, this is what I'm gonna do.
Speaker 5: With my life.
Speaker 4: Well, it sort of found me. I was. I was at University of Texas Philosophy liberal arts major. I decide I want to go into storytelling business in the business that we're in, and I want to get into college communication to the film department. I don't have any art, but I got a three point eighty two GPA and that was helpful. So the GPA got me in. I go to film school. I think I wanted to be in front of the camera. Just what didn't have the balls to admit it at that point.
Speaker 3: Interesting but when you first what you were thinking about being behind the camera, or at least that's what you were telling yourself. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Now, in hindsight, I look back, and most of the other students on the crews would want me to act in their piece, or when I was trying to direct, i'd hop over in demonstrate. So I was and I really enjoyed that and was evidently being told he's pretty good at that. Just shut your mouth show me what you're talking about? You know what I mean? I walk in the right bar at the right time between my junior and senior year in Austin, Texas, top of the High I walk in this bar because one of the guys in film schools is the bartender and he's gonna give me free training. So I walk in there and he springs over a free Vodkent Tonic and says, hey, Matthew, there's a guy at the end of the bar.
Speaker 2: He's a producer.
Speaker 4: He's in time producing a movie. I went down and introduced myself to this And do you know this man, Don Phillips, great casting director Don Phillips.
Speaker 3: Uh, yeah, it does sound familiar.
Speaker 4: I've tried to think legendary. He works Melvin and Howard. He was a producer. He cast Fast Time to Ridge My High cast Days Confused, which is what he was in town casting at this time.
Speaker 3: Days in Confused, which is having its thirtieth anniversary.
Speaker 4: Hey yeah, yeah, amazing, Phil, hadn't I introduced myself to him. Three and a half hours later, we kicked out a so said bar into the night. He's like, hey, you ever done any acting? I said, well, I'm film schooled here and I was a mineral life commercial for about that long. Was more of a modeling job. Oh, you might be right for this part. Come on down to this address tomorrow morning and have a look.
Speaker 3: I go down.
Speaker 4: There's a script. It's tagged with three scenes. Check this guy out named Woodson. You might dig him. I go read for it. I get the part. Those three scenes turned into three weeks work. Like Richard linklad of, the director kept inviting me back to the set. The actors, Jason Lundon, Cole Holser, Ben Affleck, they would all integrate me into scenes. They would just lob me stuff that wasn't scripted, and sure they were writing me into this into the movie. So I ended up working three weeks on that best fiom class I could have ever taken.
Speaker 3: Trust me.
Speaker 4: I went back by senior year to film school, and a lot of the teachers thought I was an arrogant prick because I knew I knew the practical work on the set, and I'd be like, no, actually that's not how that's on, or actually could be done this other way.
Speaker 3: It's tough to teach that stuff in the classroom.
Speaker 4: Yeah. So I was already out of the book, and I was out of the book, and then I had the practical experience. So I graduated film degree. Drive out West just as days is about to come out in that U all twenty five hundred bucks, a bunch of frozen loves for bread, get out to uh. I got to tell you this story I had. I had the doors la woman sitting on the sitting on the passeng your seat, ready to play it for my entrance in my truck. Pull my U.
Speaker 3: Al right, would that be a a cassette or this CD?
Speaker 4: I believe CD O CD. Okay, now this is about it. It's a little over seven minuteating myself.
Speaker 3: I'm dating myself with that question.
Speaker 4: I got made a track, but I but I have it sitting there and you know that. So the drive from Texas twenty four ish hour, well around hour twenty two, I come across a little street that's an exit off of the IT in out near Indio. It's called Sunset Dry. I go, is that's it? I'm making great time. It's time to put the tune in and creak it up.
Speaker 3: Baby.
Speaker 4: Well, as you would know, I listened to that song twenty seven freaking times in a road because it's another touch, another two and a half hours, you get the Sunset Sunset Drive and a Sunset Street.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, they need to rename that street. Matthew McConaughey way had me. I think, I think that would be. That would be, that would be a great move. I want to I'm gonna I'm gonna start lobbying the town of Indio to name that street Matthew McConaughey Way. That is a that is an amazing story. Well listen, I mean the thing is is that Los Angeles for people that haven't been here before, that's it is a very confusing place to land if you've lived pretty much anywhere else, because it's very hard. You can be in it and have a hard time finding it. Yeah, it's like where is the center of it?
Speaker 5: What is that?
Speaker 3: Where is the spot? And even if you think you're you know, in your mind you're going to Hollywood, but then there's just like that's not even Hollywood. Like like I remember coming out and I was just like, uh, there's a famous Stevie wondersong, you know, uh, living for the city that starts. He says, uh la, just like I pictured it. No, he says, New York, just like I pictured it, skyscrapers and everything. Stevie Wonder says this at the top of it thing, and it's kind of like a little audio play that plays. My buddy John l was out here and when I first got out here, he picked me up at the airport and drove me around and I said, La, just like I pictured it. No, skyscrapers are nothing. I was just looking around like there's nothing here. I don't I don't know how to hold on to this place.
Speaker 4: A lot of latitude, and it's such a transient city, you know. I mean, I've met thirty seven people born in La in Maye since nineteen ninety two. In thirty years, that's just over one year. Not many people are actually from born and bred in la And every time I.
Speaker 3: Talk, I love that you're keeping I love you that you're keeping track.
Speaker 4: I am keeping track, Yeah, because I've noticed it happened so sparingly, you know. And yeah, a lot, a lot of latitude. It's not necessarily a walk in town.
Speaker 3: I you know, you have such a remarkable career in that, you know, you took a very very solid and successful kind of you know, leading man in a certain kind of role and a certain kind of film thing that you had established and just completely turned it on its head. And I'm wondering if if uh and went to some just remarkable transformational uh not only dark subject matter, but dark uh work and and fascinating characters. I'm just wondering if that was a a conscious moment or whether or not this is just the road that you take and and you see what happens.
Speaker 4: I tell you what was conscious, Kevin, is that I at that time had become really successful in the romantic comedies, and and and loved them. They were fun. It's like a Saturday night, you know, shoeless, go there and you know, bounce along the clouds, keep that buoyant tail, that fairy tale and I and and I loved it. But I just i'd met Camilla, my wife, and we had just had our first son. Now have your first child who real life hits you square in the heart, square on the head, and all of a sudden it's sober up and go. I never more alive, or is the heart and head more clear and more? Is a man more courageous, you know than the first child? I don't know if there has something to do with all of a sudden, we now realize we're literally immortal or whatever we passed on the lineage or what that is. But being a father was always my dream, and I'd just become a father. So real life was heavily dramatic for me in all the I mean, happier, big, more tears, more pain, everything after, I'd just kind of felt really grounded and courageous in the world. The Roman e Colomies weren't necessarily giving me that.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 4: I was like, okay, so your life is more vital than your work, right now, that's not of I'm glad. I was happy to be able to say that because there's been other times whereas like, I wish my life was as vital as my work, you know what I mean? Yeah, sure, sure, sure, And I didn't. I wanted to do find some work that felt as vital as my life, and those were gonna be in dramas. But I wasn't getting off with the dramas. I went to an agent to look, tell them I'll take this pay cut, this bay cut, I'll work for a tenth of the price of twenty like, but they just don't. They still want it, all right, So I said if I cannot do what I want to do, I'm gonna stop doing what I've been doing. And that was the hard decision, that was the tough one that Camilla and I made together.
Speaker 3: So turn stuff down, you mean, yes, just to turn stuff to turn.
Speaker 4: The rom calms down, the Action Adventures down. And I wasn't sure it was a good but I was sure in my in my in my gut that it was the it was the right thing to do because I because it felt right at two am, when I was all alone and scared, you know, I was like, now, stick with it. It's is gonna be an endurance thing. But also there was no guarantee. I thought I was maybe writing a one way ticket out of Hollywood, and Ally was gonna go, fuck here, dude, what are you talking about. You had your lane, man.
Speaker 3: You know later that's what Hollywood tends to do. So I can see why you would be anxious about that.
Speaker 4: You know, Luckily I got a newborn to tend two when I'm getting a little wobbly. Luckily I've got you know. As as weeks turned two months and I was now in Austin and not necessarily on the beach in Malibu, with my shirt off, which was sort of a life I was living that was paralleling the rom Com character, right, And so it was like where where was? Where was mcconnie. I was out of Hollywood, I was gone. I was down in Texas. There were no beaches, and I wasn't making movies. I was raising a kid and working on the working on our ranch. Days got long, that old old bottel sitting over there starting to look kind of tasty around four pm sometimes, and I had to catch myself. I go, no, no, no, no, we don't want to hang on. You got to keep a purpose here. And I stuck to it. And we had made I'd made a deal with Camilla that we're going to stick to it by hook or by crook and see what comes out of it. Now, after about two years of that plan, it's still dry, and I'm amazing. And he's telling me, hey, buddy, not only do you not have any offers, I haven't heard your name in a month. I'm going I might have just done it. I started to thinking about other vocations. You know, do I want to go teach. I want to be a high school coach. I want to be a wildlife expedition guide. I want to study to be a conductor. I was thinking of all these things and about I got to tell you this story because you love this story, because it's puritanical and it's locked in. I was on this. Okay, I get this offer for this action comedy. It was a good one. And they came in at eight million dollars like this is a tasty front fee. Okay, no thank you. They came back at ten, No thank you. They came back at twelve. I said, no, thank you. They came back at fifteen five.
Speaker 3: I said, let me.
Speaker 4: Read that script again, same script, same words as the aban I'll offer. But as you know, it was better written. It was funnier, it had more angles. I could be this guy. Man, this is guy work it anyway. I ultimately said no, and that I think was, you know, he can do something to the Hollywood that send a sort of invisible sort of Oh he's not he's not effing around, he's not.
Speaker 3: The power of note. It's the power of note.
Speaker 4: It sent something that somewhere in Hollywood, I think un said knew I wasn't bluffy, which made me, in a way maybe a little more. What's he up to? This is interesting. And that's when after about two and a half, almost three years of nothing, I think it was I think it was h even with Killer Job that came to me with this dark horror comedy that that was like nothing that had.
Speaker 3: Come across some ideas.
Speaker 4: Awesome minute and that can nothing like that had been come across my desk for decades. So to start with that, Jeff Nichols comes to me he had written Mud with me in mind, A Paperboy with Lee Daniels. Steven Soderberg calls for a magic Mike. I had already I already had the run, was holding on to Dallas Buyer's Club, but still at this time, no one wanted to make it with me, and many directors came by that I would hope direct it, would direct it, but with me attached, wouldn't direct it. Found Jean Mark Valet, the late Jehn Valet, who just moved on recently. Uh you know, Scorsese called for the first time for a Wall Street. All of a sudden, I was getting these these roles in front of me, her I was doing. I was like, this is exactly what I want.
Speaker 3: And I mean that was a hell of a run. That was is continues to be. I mean, it's is really really remark arkable.
Speaker 4: But it all came from me saying, no, I'm not I'm gonna quit. I don't if I can't do what I want to do, I'm quit doing what I've been doing. And I knew it was a risk, and I thought and and I understood. Look, and I had to do a lot of spiritual work at that time going because trust me, my family, my brothers and my mother were like, what is your major malfunction? It's just you gotta lane. What are you doing, man, You're you're mentally migitating here. They were like, why are you what you're you're you're you're just your jackknife and yourself. What are you doing? And I was like, no, no, I gotta do it. And Camilla knew and I knew, and I got you know, fortunate things came around, came back my way, and the things I wanted.
Speaker 5: To do well.
Speaker 3: Sometimes you need two really huge things, one being the confidence in yourself, uh you know, to be able to do that, and when that confidence wanes, the confidence with your partner to be able to say, okay, I'm I'm I'm on this this this ride, you know, I'm I'm I'm with you in that.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 3: You know, I've always felt really, you know, really grateful to have that as well. You know, because when i'm when you make these choices, you know, I don't have to tell you, you know, if you're, if you're if you're in a strong marriage, these are choices that you're making to a certain extent together, I mean, you know, and and it's, uh, it really is great that you've found someone that you're able to too, is able to you know, be there in that on that team with you. That's a that's super super cool.
Speaker 4: Well, she stood be up cool. She she stood me straight up quite.
Speaker 3: A few times.
Speaker 4: And it was like reminded me of the night when we made the decision and tears fell and she knew sincere about it. She was like, we're gonna that, We're not gonna We're not gonna let that the truth of that moment get dusty. That was true, stick to it. Well.
Speaker 3: The other thing that I've always really admired about you and I or let me just say, I could be second guessing this, but this is what I feel about myself and I see I think I see some of this in you and that is that you have the ability to take your work incredibly seriously, which you've proved time and time again to us, but you don't always take yourself seriously. And to me, this idea that we have to like, I've always felt like I don't really cared that much what people think about me. I'm really more interested in what they think about the work. And when it comes to me, you could just make your decisions up. I mean, I don't mind poking fun of myself or you know, being making an asshole of myself basically, And I don't know, can you relate to that at all?
Speaker 4: Or yeah?
Speaker 3: Can?
Speaker 4: I mean, I'm to on two fronts, I think one, I don't know if I can say I don't take myself seriously. I do know that I take comedy seriously, and I take the comedy of life very seriously, and I take screw ups very seriously and I trust that I'm gonna do them, and when I do, I'm like, Yep, be serious about that hip fell on your face. Yep, that didn't work out. I do take that seriously, so that maybe helps me chuckle at that. I also know this there, you know, the certain initiations in Hollywood and they come for me. The one that came at year seven ninety two, around ninety nine was something hit me one day, and I think it was after Yeah, so after I come in with day's confused time to kill, I'm you know, on the cover of the magazines and I'm a new leading man, et cetera, et cetera. Then I did the few films in my so called star drop a little bit, and a lot of the people that were calling me twice a day wouldn't you back after time, gil were not even returning my calls. People that I had spent executives, I had spent holidays with, I couldn't give them to turn my call. And it personally hurt sure all those people, Like when I first got to Hollywood, I remember telling my moms, I've never heard people say I love you so much. I said, I've said that to like five people in my life. They say it all the time, der man, this place is great. Well, then some of those people also wouldn't return my calls, right, and I'm like, wait, but that person says me, lovely man at the part they said they looked me in the eyes that I love you, and I meant something and I can't get to return my call. But I had something hit me at year seven. I was like, oh, you got to get the joke in Hollywood. It's not personal, right, your business. So part of that was not I think, leads into what you're saying about not taking certain things seriously about what other people think. And I had to get over the little bridge of you know, being pissed off at them going f you. You know what I mean. Now you're the one who wouldn't turn my car. Because then when my star went back up and I'm going, oh, now you call again, I felt like I wanted to rub it in a little bit and I was like, no.
Speaker 3: I don't do that.
Speaker 4: Be cool, be graceful.
Speaker 3: It's just businessman.
Speaker 4: Heroes back up.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 4: Of course they return the car. Actually they call you take the ride as that man Don Phillips, who I met that night in that in that bar, and Austin said, want to give you the best advice I can give you for success in this game. So what he goes, lean horse long ride. He goes, it's going to do this. It's going to do this if you can stay in the saddle and just keep riding. Endurance can be your friend.
Speaker 3: People say, what's a secret to longevity. I say, there is no secret to longevity. Longevity, he's a secret. If you can, you can just hang in. Tell me about green Lights before we get into just Keep Living Found, which I'm fascinating, but I'm also interested in green lights on your book.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so green Lights is h I finally got the courage to say, you know, I've been writing. I've been writing since I was fourteen. Journals and stuff and stories and people in character approaches to life. I mean inherently, I been waking up sometime every day in my life since I was.
Speaker 5: Thirteen.
Speaker 4: Probably I've wake up with some sort of perspective of measuring weight. What's the approach for greater satisfaction, greater residuals in life, whether that's relationships, whether that's lay down good work. The work will speak for yourself, it'll outlive you. You know, just don't get you know those times when you get heady out there and you're like, no, just do the work, keep it simple, focus on whatever that is. I've been waking up trying to think about how to be a better person, better man, find more satisfaction, looking for myself, searching, trying to find the figure out, you know, as close as I came to the truth or if it's fiction, let's just call it that and go with it. Green Lights was came out of going back over all, the having the curders to go open up those journals for the first time in my life and go where's your head and heart been over the last thirty years and see if we can find some themes. And there were stories, there were people, there were places, there were approaches, perspectives, philosophies, there was prayers, there were poems, and I sort of went in and found personal stories to launch some of these approaches that I've tested and found worked that always were paired with stories of things that I have, grand plans I had that I thought would work, where I ate shit and it didn't work, which kind of goes back to what I was saying earlier. I take the comedy seriously as well, because I can trust in it coming, you know what I mean. And so that's basically what the book is. It's I found that you can we can engineer success, we can have a goal, we can willpower, we can we can right we can write that headline now and then work to go achieve it, to get to the headline in a year or two. We can engineer it. There's things we can do, there's habits. I know. It's true. Also, half of my successes, which is a lot more than I thought it was going to be when I looked in the diaries and journals of mine, over half of my successes were when I took a risk and learned to fly on the way down where it was not engineered. It was like I just I was lost, took a risk and figured it out and landed right in the bucket, hit the target, and it was like, oh, you know, I had nothing to do with plans or engineering, just went and followed inspiration and and and listened to myself and put myself in places where I can hear the truth land like a butterfly and a lightning bolt at the same time in which it does. And so it's about, you know, where we can engineer them success and where it's just part of the art of life is just dancing and and and and letting the magic and the inspiration hit you the right time and trusting in it to follow through on it and go. That was true even though nobody else may have.
Speaker 5: Heard it.
Speaker 4: Follow it, and that's that's a lot of we'green lined about that sounds amazing.
Speaker 3: Have you gotten responses already kind of you know, anecdotal sort of responses for people who've looked at the book and have reached out to you to to say that it helped them in some kind of way.
Speaker 4: I have, and I think the most consistent one is people that have come up and not just say hey, I like your book. And people come up and strangers and will stop me, put two hands on my shoulders, make sure they're looking them in the eye, and go. Your stories and the risks that you took are telling me that my stories and the risk are matter, and I'm taking more risk. I'm in this place in life because I went shed that's right. He was talking to me. I was in a similar situation, and I, instead of taking the risk, I went, now I don't think I will, and now I'm going to do that. That's been the most gratifying thing is to get that reverb, that mirror pop back at me with someone going thank you for those stories. They made me feel like my stories matter. They made me feel like I'm going to take a greater risk tomorrow than I did today because of a foolish fear of what happen. That's been the greatest compliment.
Speaker 3: That's amazing, because I mean, I you know, I don't need to tell you, but it's when you hear somebody have that kind of reaction to performance. It's one thing, you know, thank you for making that movie, Thank you for telling that story. That meant a lot to me.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: I feel like I can only take credit to it up to a point because somebody else wrote it and it was a character and it was a mighty boat. But if it's if it's your own book, it must just be very very satisfying, gratifying. I mean, that's that's that's a cool thing. So, Matthew, I want to bring on Lei Claiborne, who is the director of program strategy and community Impact for Just Keep Living Foundation, which is based in Los Angeles, and I want to hear about this great work that you're doing, and Matthew, how this whole thing came together.
Speaker 4: So fifteen eighteen something years ago, I knew I wanted to. I was always looking for a time and the best way to give back. I've been raised in a family where we had a pretty ritual ways to give back, but now it's coming into my own success. It was like, what do I want to do. I knew I wanted to do something to prevent, prevent before you to cure. I mean, there's a ten million great ways and means to give time, philanthropy, et cetera. But I knew I wanted to prevention for cure. So that led me to go, oh, youngsters, children, And then I started studying from kindergarten on up what are these young men and women need? And settled on high school students because it became very clear that's the last that's the last four years you kind of have them where there's a principal, there's a parent, you've got some responsibilities you got to take care of. As soon as you graduate, you're on your own, you're independent, you're free. And if you were screwing up in high school, which you might have got a demerit for in high school, you might be putting in jail for in real life once you get out. So it was the demographic of saying, look, this is the time to get young men and women to if they're all on the wrong track, help me get on the right track. If they're on the right track, let's help them double down on that and see the opportunity to stay on the right track for success in the future. We settled in high schools. We then settle on Title I high schools, which are the lower income high schools that we found that needed it, that needed some of this direction and support the most. I think our first one leon wasn't our first one Venice in la and then Hamilton, yep. And now we're in how many schools.
Speaker 5: Forty four programs fifteen cities.
Speaker 4: Forty four to fifteen cities. So that's what we've done. It's an after school curriculum twice a week for a few hours where these young men and women voluntarily come. Number One, what I did not know was an asset of the program going in is that it's it's the first safe place that a lot of these young men and women have to go after school. They didn't that. I had no idea that that would be an asset. I did not even know that that was needed going into this. The students let us know that the basis is, there's a there's a there's a they come into set goals there's a physical goal, whether that's I want to make the soccer team next year. Right now, I cannot run a quarter of a mile. Can you help me get in shape try and make the soccer team, or maybe proms coming up in three months. My sister and I have one dress. I need to lose three pounds to fit in the one prom dress by prom. All right, we're going to help you meet that goal. There's nutritional goals. We go talk to them and their parents. Hey, nothing wrong with those five burgers from the fast food stop last night. But look, let's take that same amount of money and walk you through the supermarket in the produce section. Some beans, maybe some meat if you want it. Spend the same amount of money, have a healthier meal, and get to cook it as a family in your own kitchen together. Which we believe in that that family time is really important healthy life choices physically, mentally, spiritually. Community service has become a huge part of this this again, I did not think this was going to be popular. When we started to say, hey, let's let's let's let's ask these children to give community, to give back to their communities. I thought back to my high school years Kevin, and I was like, I wasn't going to give you a Saturday morning at four thirty am to go pack for the make some some some packages for the troops, or clean up a beach in Venice, or clean up a highway, or go help out some elders. I wasn't going to do that at four thirty in the morning. One hundred percent of our students jumped on the community service and still do today.
Speaker 3: Now amazing.
Speaker 4: What it is is, well, the lesson I'm getting from that I think we can all give them that we have to be reminded that everybody wants to be accountable. Nobody really wants to free hand out. They want to go, oh, put me to task, what what do you? What do I gotta do for this? I want gives them ownership, integrity, and the dignity. And I'm amazed at one hundred percent and they still do sign.
Speaker 3: Up for for for.
Speaker 4: All the community service that we that we offer. So those are those are some of the pillars. The final pillar is gratitude, which is sort of the halo over our foundation. The end of every curriculum, students sit around and in the circle and say thank you out loud to everybody, all their peers, in front of each other. This is something that we practice in my family before meals. So we tried it out with these young men and women, and trust me, it didn't go well to start off with, because to say thank you for something in front of your peers in high school is not necessarily cool.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so cool.
Speaker 4: So I remember the first time we went around in the circle and I was like, got to me and I said, really thankful this program, and no, no, no, and the next person goes thankful to Jayuliving program. The next person said, well, I'm thankful to Juliving program. And then we were like okay. After a couple of weeks, no one was really speaking up about what they were thankful for. They were kind of repeating what the person from said. And I noticed that Camille and I noticed that, oh, they're taking this as like it has to be something very serious and dramatic. And I remember it's coming up on Halloween, I think leon and it got to me and I was like, man, I'm thankful. I'm gonna get some candy Saturday night. And then I went, oh yeah, I met and we're like, yeah, you don't have to be thankful for something that's like don't dout do dumk, And all of a sudden they started going, well, I'm thankful I got a kiss from my girlfriend last week, and I'm thankful this, and I'm thankful I'm feeling sexy today, and all of a sudden they started to laugh. This sort of the the pressure of what you had to share to be thankful or came off. You'd be thankful for something that's happy and easy, and what that did is led to people weeks later and now sharing real things that were really hard, like my my sister got out of the hospital, my dad got a job. And the best reaction we've heard of this think gratitude circle is this student say their favorite thing about is they are now hearing their peers say thank you for something that they have in their life that they've always taken for granted and never voiced thanks for. And that is the reciprocity of the gratitude that I love about our gratitude circle that we have in the program.
Speaker 3: I've seen it. I've seen it, I've watched the videos of it in action, and it is a very very powerful, simple yet powerful tool and leon you know, part of what I'm trying to sort of highlight on this podcast is is certainly the fact that there are actual famous people who are trying to do something positive in the world. But the other thing is the people who are behind the scenes and on the ground and and and you know, doing the the the hard work of of this on a daily basis. And I'm curious from your perspective, I think you said you've been was it seven and a half years?
Speaker 5: You've been with seven half years?
Speaker 3: Yes, Yeah, which is a long time. What do you think it was in your upbringing, or your childhood, or just in your personality in general that drew you to this kind of work, Because there's a lot of other things that we can do other than you know, helping other people.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean there's a lot of stuff I love to do.
Speaker 6: But I always go back to this time I have when I played Little League growing up in Ontario, California, I had a chance to volunteer to help kids with Down syndrome learn how to play baseball.
Speaker 5: And I'm like eight years old, I'm like, oh, I'll do a mom whatever whatever.
Speaker 6: So then in that act of me teaching, like someone who did it, you know, those simple fundamentals of swinging a ball or running to your right the first base. It kind of took me back a little bit, and it's all and it's been something that's always kind of been in me of like helping people that not necessarily can do exactly what you do, but how can I articulate my skill set to someone else so they can do what I do? So that was kind of like the leaping.
Speaker 5: Point for me.
Speaker 6: And then growing up, I was really instilleding to hip hop culture and just be born rite break born with is breakdances or elemented hip hop, and that's what was my real kind of leaping path to get into teaching inner city youth a skill set. So from there on it just blew my mind and I was able to teach the students how to use movement and rhythm to tell stories right, and then I got leadership skills, started running programs, and then twenty years later seven and a half of the later years I've been with just keep Living, and it's just been it's been awesome because it's always been like that little bit of fire that was in me at eight years old to teach kids how to play baseball, to teaching someone my skill set and passion for dance to turn into someone's mentor. It's just been a crazy journey and it continues to give me the fire too.
Speaker 5: You know what I mean.
Speaker 6: Everybody's always like, why do you keep doing this? You know you're in the director level and saying, well, you know what, When I get to go to these events and get to experience students' first time experiences, that's.
Speaker 5: What gives me the fuel.
Speaker 6: Because there's so much work we still need to do in the world. And if I'm able to play a part to give them platform and have these students utilize our resources, I'm all in.
Speaker 3: I'm all in, that's amazing. Can you do they still have the opportunity to uh, to learn how to dance for you or to learn some.
Speaker 5: Sim you know.
Speaker 6: Every now and then I'll pull a few tricks out the bag, and I love it's a compliment, like a day come days or whatever. So whenever I can't get out, I do a crazy low hip hop dance workout. I make sure I work out when we're not just teaching you know, wow moves, we're actually working for it.
Speaker 5: So it's been great.
Speaker 1: If you are inspired by today's episode, please join us in supporting six degrees dot org by texting the word Bacon to seven zero seven zero seven zero. Your gift empowers us to continue to produce programs that highlight the incredible work of everyday heroes, well also enabling us to provide essential resources to those that need it the most. Once again, text b a c N to seven zero seven zero seven zero or visit six degrees dot org to learn more.
Speaker 4: As you know, we can have a good idea and everyone can agree on it, but if you don't have the commitment and enthusiasm of the people that are there day to day on it, it's it's not going to work. That's what Leon, you seven and a half years. I mean, you came in and you said, it's what fuels you. You you don't you're not playing a part in the service that you're given with these children and with the program. I mean, it's you seem to love it. You seem to He does refuel, does seem to refuel you? Like I was saying, you're not putting on it. Leon's not putting on a different hat when he shows up to go like okay, let's go, let's go to work. He's always on it and you know where's that? Where does that come from? And then secondly, I don't know what with stories. You've been there seven a half years. Can you share a story or antidote of someone who came in as a freshman and maybe it was maybe was was wobbling and went out and now seven a half years later they're doing something that the program and people like yourself help them get on track to do.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, man, Well, just just to answer the question about fire, like, where does that come from? It's about being a quality of service, right, There's nothing like how is someone who's very passionate about something teach that to you or show you that. I think that's what I want to give these kids. Let them know like, hey, I may not be your day to day instructor, and I'm at this director level. I'm still here with you and I can still give you a skill set and still be passionate about seeing you do good. So I think the students just want someone they can talk to, listen to, a cheer them on, like I'm the student's biggest cheerleader, you know what I mean. So, in regardless of stories, oh yeah, there's one, and it will start With our first program at Venice, we had a student named Chris Rassinos. Oh, like, he's the ultimate jk L student post a child for sure. So when he came in he was a freshman. Like many they'll come for like the free snack or you know, maybe they don't have a gym membershi if they want to come lifts of weights, and Venice is one of the.
Speaker 5: Schools that has actually access to a weight room.
Speaker 6: Not all our programs do, and that's why our curriculum is really based on you don't have to have equipment to work out, right, That's what we're really basing on. But anyhow, you know, he would come once twice a month, but he had this energy. He always was like, Hey, I want to learn how to I want to learn how to box, I want to learn how to do more fitness. He was more focused on the fitness. So the thing that I saw turned his life around was he was already doing bad at school, right, but when he went to this thing called campum Buntu that we take all our high school kids to in Los Angeles, flipped his mind, changed his mind. He really started to understand what gratitude meant. He understand what like being transparent man with taking risks man. And you know, it's one of those things where you're either gonna rise in the occasion or you're not. When you're in these camp settings, right because you're amongst your peers, You're like, am I gonna do this?
Speaker 5: Am I not going to do this? What am I looking at here?
Speaker 6: So I would say after that first year him coming going to that camp, he came back. He had a plan. You know, he started to come to school more, we saw more in the sessions. He started to really take his fitness to a whole other level. And just to fast forward a few years, his senior year, he started really taking up boxing, like boxing was his thing. And always when I was like, well, what is he gonna do with that?
Speaker 5: Like how what is he? What is he really gonna do with that? Like it's a great skill set about what is he gonna do?
Speaker 6: And then little behold, not only did he become an actual counselor at this camp that we were taking students to called camp and butu so he was so at the time when he was a counselor there, we were already taking new students up and he was mintoring them. So that was kind of like that broke the mold right there for him. And then I'm like, hey, you're still doing the boxing thing. He's like he made a career out of it at actual his own business. So he ended up doing classes out of us a place in the West, LA where me and the whole just Kipliver team we went and took his class.
Speaker 5: You know, we had a support We got to support our youth.
Speaker 3: So he's doing training, training people.
Speaker 5: He's training he's training people.
Speaker 3: Wow, that's amazing.
Speaker 5: And during the pandemic he had his own business. He's taking ladies out to the to the beach. Said, he's doing this thing. You know, be it all COVID safe at the time, doing this thing. But and he's still so what's cool. Here, here's here's the here's the like bring it all back right.
Speaker 6: So now we hire him to go to Venice, to go to these other schools around LA to teach this skill set that he learned a little bit in JKL just got that dedication and level of just gratitude for it and shaped it into a business. And now we support him and he's just like awesome. He's he's literally awesome. I still talk to him. I'm texted him all the time trying to book them more. I want to I want to put more money in his pocket, you know. And that's what it's about. That's what it's about. That's what this program it's about. It's about seeing the good in our students, giving them the resources they're helping the rise to the occasion and if we're able to bring it back into the fold, there's always a way for us to do that.
Speaker 5: So that's what we do here. Just keep living.
Speaker 3: That's that's such I mean, these are the stories that that you know, we want to hear. And and when when you when something comes around, that's like a double full circle. You know, it's it's it's it's it's a beautiful thing to hear. Uh. I know people listening would love to know how to help out, how to get involved, whether there's uh donations, volunteer ship, what we're how can they besides just googling? Just keep living? I mean, who knows what they'll get to give us, give us a little ways that people can get involved.
Speaker 6: Well, yeah, I mean you could definitely follow us on social media right at JK Livin.
Speaker 4: But no g on the essay, No g on the end of living.
Speaker 5: No, G, it's a verb. Verb is at the boss man says.
Speaker 6: Oh, but I would definitely say volunteers. Right, So if you go to our website Jklebanfoundation dot org, you can send us an email there and we're always looking for volunteers. You know, our programs are required to do community service two times a semester, sometimes more. And if we have some volunteers that reach out to us and they have a special skill set, not only can they volunteer at maybe it's a water station feeding the homeless, but if they have a skill set they could bring to the table, like they might be a martial arts instructor or a crust then we can figure that piece out. How do we bring that skill set into our program because our programs have the capital to bring in professional instructors.
Speaker 5: To teach a skill you know what I mean.
Speaker 6: So anyone who has a skill set that loves to deal with high school students, and you know, high school students know if you really are about what you talk about, right, they love people who come in as passionate, and if you're not passionate, then our program is a probably not going to be for you.
Speaker 5: Because our kids really want people who live and bleed what they're telling these students. Okay, and I will say internships.
Speaker 6: Were always looking to, you know, collaborate with organizations who can provide our students with internships. Really summer internships. We don't do too many summer programs. It's more spot data events that we do, so summer internships would be huge. So any organizations out there listening, please send us an email, let us say what you do. We'll get all set up and I'll see if there's a fit for us. So for sure, volunteers, any city will do a volunteer meeting and keep you in the loop on some things that may be happening. And then any organizations that want to partner and provide internships for or just keep living students.
Speaker 5: So that's a few ways.
Speaker 4: If there's also people out there, A lot of people have come to us that go, I have a school in my community that could use this curriculum and I want to sponsor it or I'd like to partner with y'all to sponsor it. We are open to that. If you're anyone out there listening or watching that says, you know, when I got a school in my backyard or near that could use this kind of counts from curriculum.
Speaker 3: Let us know.
Speaker 4: We we are open to working in partnering with other people too, and businesses to go. Yep, it's uh, what's it run a semester thirty.
Speaker 5: Thirty well, thirty K for the whole year, thirty.
Speaker 4: K for the whole year, which is a basically paying for that teacher on the ground. Every school curriculum has a teacher on the ground in that school that is sort of our all star that Leon and the rest of the staff check in on and sort of, uh, make sure that you know we're fulfilling the mission statement within that school, but also also customizing it to what that school needs.
Speaker 3: Yep, that's amazing. That's amazing. So it's a it's a it's a it's it's a package that you guys have developed that can be put into use in anywhere. I mean right now you're in Los Angeles, right in in southern California, but we're in thirteen thirteen states.
Speaker 5: We're everywhere.
Speaker 6: New York, we're in Nashville, were in.
Speaker 3: We started in l Yeah, sorry, right, it's it's you. It's it's awesome. It's such a great thing that you guys are doing. I thank you so much for coming on this podcast and sharing it today and for your time the amazing Matthew McConaughey and Leon Claiborne. The organization is Just Keep Living and check it out and volunteer, donate. These guys are making a difference. So thanks for being here, Fellas.
Speaker 4: Kevin, thanks for having us, thanks for chatting with us and getting you give it a space talk about it.
Speaker 3: It's been fun.
Speaker 5: Thank you.
Speaker 2: Hey, guys, thanks for listening to another episode of Six Degrees. And if you want to learn more about Just Keep Living and all the good work they're up to, head to their website at Jklivinfoundation dot org. You can find the links in our show notes, and if you like what you're here, make sure you subscribe to the show and tune in to the rest of our episodes. You can find six Degrees wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 3: We'll see you next time.