Speaker 1: Episode three eighty six of Bucco Banter. The Buccos stay hot. They take two of three in Cleveland. We recap that series in preview the upcoming series versus the New York Yankees. You're listening to the Buco Banter podcast, brought to you by the Just Baseball Media Network. Hey music, I feel one on one.
Speaker 2: You see a couple of them in My Taste with Ye and my Lemonade?
Speaker 3: Does I let the waite taste Beth seats at the Pirates get it?
Speaker 2: Let me run the base.
Speaker 3: Yeah, My time is like my money because I can't afford to waste. Oh why see is Alloyers my date to my dates? Or to stick by the plate? Senny Case peptic Case from my race at my pace, Clintic brass edis Snakes.
Speaker 4: Welcome back to another episode of Bucco Banter, and we literally just returned from this city that they call the Mistake on the Lake aka Cleveland, Ohio.
Speaker 2: Boy, am I glad to be home.
Speaker 4: From that business trip not a vacation, by the way, a business trip.
Speaker 2: And we come back feeling good.
Speaker 4: Right as always, It's a roller coaster with this team, but winning the series is most important. I think we're more on the optimistic side going forward.
Speaker 1: I'm so happy to be back from that miserable, miserable, miserable town. Listen in the wise words of a man who played professional sports, who goes to Cleveland to vacation. You ever heard anyone say they're going to Cleveland to vacation.
Speaker 2: I think it's cool.
Speaker 1: I think it's cool. There. No, it's not cool. But the Bucos went in and they took care of business. And we're gonna spend the first part of the show talking about why this team deserves a shot. And when I say that, I mean from the front office, why they deserve to buy Bye bye right now, because they've proved to the fan base, they've proved to the front office that this is a winning ball club. And I know we're a roller coaster of emotions. We talk about it every single episode, how reactionary baseball is, how much of a roller coaster your emotions could be on after Game two on Saturday. I understand it feels that way, But this is a really good baseball team right now, Guys, this is the best offense in baseball at point blank. They score runs, they're running the base as well, right now, they're playing much much better defense. The starting pitching is doing what you needed to do. There's just one problem and that's what needs to be taken care of in the next couple of weeks.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I completely agree with you, Adam. I mean, this is a team that is without Connor griff and your franchise cornerstone, without Spencer Horowitz, without O'Neil Cruz, and the offense is still looking elite. I mean, this is a deep team. This is a team that is very capable of going to October.
Speaker 2: And I'll tell you what, Adam, watching.
Speaker 4: This Cleveland team at home this week didn't inspire a lot of confidence in that team who is winning their division. I am fairly confident in saying that if the Pirates from the Al Central, they'd be at least ten games above five hundred with this bullpen. That's how much better they look than the Guardians on the field this week. I mean today, Billy Cook and Jack Manghan put out on clinic in the outfields, made some key defensive plays. They were all over the place in terms of base running on the other side, but.
Speaker 2: Made some key defensive places.
Speaker 4: Even last night before Dennis Santana gave up that walk off. Brian Reynolds made an incredible throw home that Raffie Flores was able to tag the runner before he stepped on home plate, which extended a game just one more batter. But still, Adam, you know, I think the front office really needs to see what they have in front of them. This is a team that's very capable of competing with the best, but you need to patch some of those holes. And you don't just need to put a piece of tape over the hole to cover the water.
Speaker 2: From spewing out.
Speaker 4: You need to bring in reinforcements that are strong enough to go deep into October.
Speaker 1: You win this series outright, you sweep the Cleveland Guardians if you have one more high leverage arm. Okay, one more high lever drum. I'm almost happy that Game two happened the way it happened on Saturday. Now, obviously I want them to win every single game. I would love if they swept the series. That would have been incredible winning six games in a row. But it kind of just was the cherry on top of the cake of what we've been dealing with all season. And I know there's so many examples to point to. But now that this team is in a wild card spot, that they're been inching closer and closer and closer, and then that happens. The offense obviously didn't have the best game in the world, but they did enough for you to win. And all you needed to do was rely on a couple of guys to close the door, and you simply couldn't do it. That should have been if you didn't already have the alarm going off. Sirens are outside the front office right now, sirens, loud noises, because that's what every single Pirates fan has been dealing with every single series for the whole year. This team would be much much better competing for the Central if they just had a couple more lever drum Scott and they got through it. Anyways, we talked to Donnie today in the scrum. He mentioned just the bounce back and the resiliency, and I know he says that a lot after. You know, the grit of this Pittsburgh, hard working, launch pale type of team, but it's true. These guys you go in the clubhouse and they they want to win ball games for each other. It's a good clubhouse man. It really is. And they brought in Jacob Gonzalez, which we'll get into in a second, which is paying off. But Scott, it is open.
Speaker 4: It starts with Jake Mangham, a guy like that, and didn't start exactly with him, but it starts with people like that bringing in a guy like that, which I don't understand the hate.
Speaker 2: I've said that multiple times. I don't understand that he gets because this is a guy that is a leader.
Speaker 4: And we go to his locker today post game and he talks about how, you know, we've talked as the team as we're not happy, like.
Speaker 2: We want to go on a run.
Speaker 4: We know we're better than this, and I just feel like they haven't had that voice, you know, the past couple seasons in this clubhouse, especially on the offensive side. And now you have him, Brandon Lawe, Ryan O hurt. When you look at the lineup today, you were like before the game, oh boy, Jared Triollo in the two hole, Billy Cook's playing, he never plays like Brandon Lowe's on the bench. This is gonna be interesting against you know, Joey Cantillo, who's a really solid mid rotation starter, right, And they did more than hold their own man.
Speaker 2: They fought.
Speaker 4: It was next man up mentality, and you love to see that bounce back from a game from like last night. I feel like a game like last night would have taken it this last year's team out of it right. They would not have been able to bounce back like they did today. It's almost like it didn't happen.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 4: They came in today, new day, and they showed up and punched back, and boy did they punch back hard.
Speaker 1: If you don't want to believes that they would be competing in the centro if they just had one or two more leverage arms. Per producer Jay in the chat. Right now, Brewers are ten and a half games up on us in the division. We've blown seventeen saves this year. They could absolutely compete with a competent pen. Just a couple of more arms and Scott will get into some trade ideas that we have. But this offense, man, I just can't say it like we might never see an offense this good and are like they have to capitalize on it. They are second in baseball and WRC plus, only behind the Los Angeles Dodgers. Ever heard of them. They're tied for fourth in homers. Homers. I didn't even know you were allowed to hit a homer last year. I thought that might have been illegal because they didn't do it. This team just continues to hit and as Maryland Valdez. They asked Donnie today, like did you picture him being this good coming out of camp? And he looked at the reporters straight in the eyes and said, absolutely not, dude, what he not this good? Like this is insane Scott and he hit that home run for insurance in Game three today and we just looked at each other and shook our heads because it's over and over and over again, and the most important thing. I know, I'm ranting, I'm talking about this offense, but going back to is Merlin and how important he's been, and Donnie confirmed it himself, how professionally at bats have been. He's not just going up there and withing a ton. He's getting successful challenges. He's understanding the zone, he knows what pockets to do damage in, and by god.
Speaker 2: He does it.
Speaker 4: But brother, that at bat today, I think it was his first at bat red challenge to strike Cox and the a bat and earned a walk. I mean, that was a professional bat. That's not something you see from a rookie often. I want to right off this stat real quick per our friend Dan Zangrilly as Villain Valdez is the first pirate since Wally Stargule.
Speaker 2: I'm sure you've heard of him. Maybe possibly he's.
Speaker 4: The first pirate since really Stargel during his monster nineteen seventy one season, have an extra base hit in an RBI in seven straight games. He's like the first player. He's like only the fifth or sixth player in major league history. You have twelve homers and thirty plus RBIs in a certain amount of games. Just what he's doing is not something we expected. We expected him to contribute, but not at this level. It was never something you can expect from a rookie. So you know, that's obviously a positive and Adam not to make it negative, but I want to turn the corner real quick and talk real quick about Dennis Santana, because this is a guy, the guy Dennis Santana we really like.
Speaker 2: I mean, I think the whole clubhouse likes Dennis Santana. He comes to work every day with a positive attitude. He's like I've been through worse.
Speaker 4: Love it right, He's definitely trying on the mental side of things. But boy, oh boy, man, I don't think you can go another day with him on the roster.
Speaker 2: I just don't think you can pitch him.
Speaker 4: Get They got themselves in a situation yesterday in a doubleheader where he was the only guy really available to pitch, so they.
Speaker 2: Had to bring him in in a ninth inning. But you tweeted out that stat today. You pulled those stats eighth and ninth inning this year. It's alarming you.
Speaker 4: If you're contending you can't have a guy like this on your roster, you just simply can't.
Speaker 1: That stat or stats, I should say, was jaw dropping. And I was talking to Jay last night and I wanted to put together these stats, but we figured let's give it a day until last night. Registered on fangrafts in high leverage situations. For the people that did not see the tweet that we put out in the eighth or ninth inning, he has a twenty point twenty five er an opponent batting average of four point fifty eight nearly half the time guys are getting hits, opponent on base percentage of five point fifty two, opponent slugging of one thousand, forty two home runs, four earned runs twelve. This is just somebody, forget even low leverage middle relief. This is somebody you just can't have generally on a competing ball club. Again, you said it beautifully. I love Dennis Santana. You see him come to work and it's so hard. And I was thinking about it as we were going to the stadium today. Imagine having just absolute worst stay at your job, just horrendous. You blow it, the office is absolutely pissed at you, and you got to show up and do it again the next day. A lot of people mentally just can't do that. You're not built that way. And this guy's been able to show up to work and you know, continue to try, and you know, there's been a couple of reasons where we thought maybe the tides returning a little bit and spin rate was getting a little bit better, and he had a couple of good outings. It's just not happening. We have to to cut dead weight right now. And I know we're getting closer to August third, and people want to talk about Christian Curtis, which again we are going to talk about Christian Curtis on this podcast today. But the Dennis Santana experiment is over. Guys, it has to be. It has to be. I don't know if you need to just put him on the I l if you're afraid the DFA the guy for whatever reason with a phantom injury. Hell, Chris Devenski's been on nil with an underclosed, undisclosed illness for three months now. Who the hell knows, but you got he's burned, He's burned his eyeballs. You gotta get him out of here.
Speaker 5: Man.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry. I hate talking about people's jobs like this, but unfortunately, you have to face reality in these types of situations. And right now, I think you're the team would agree, players would agree.
Speaker 4: Especially a guy like that, especially guy like that. I don't want to belabor the topic too much. I think everyone we all know what needs to happen there. And I think you can add multiple arms, and let's talk about arms that they've had added. Brandon Eisert is a guy that is interesting. He was in the trade during the door before the draft with Jacob Gonzalez and we'll get into Jack Gonzalez.
Speaker 2: I feel like we have a lot to talk about here after this weekend.
Speaker 4: But Brandon Eisert. I'll just put it out there. He's nothing more than a specialist and that's all he should be used as. Like last night, he came in with two outs in the seventh inning and he got Patrick Bailey out. That should have been the end of his night. Greg Risotto should have came in right away, but instead we saw Stephen Kwan and we saw Travis Bozanna, two lefties.
Speaker 2: Come up in the eighth inning. We're like, we're gonna run him out there.
Speaker 4: As soon as Stephen Kwan hit that ball, got a single on that first a bat should have been in the night, but we kept riding him. This is a guy that only touches eighty nine guys eighty nine. I know there's a lead extension, but lead extension doesn't nine Jerry. A lead extension is great when you throw ninety three perceive philosophy could be ninety six eighty nine guys eighty nine. And he does have a weird We're talking about this up in the press box very just as a lefty hitter. It wouldn't be deceptive, right. He lands like super closed off and it's a cross body delivery. It's funky, it's weird. But still he's not gonna blow it by anybody. He's not gonna fool anybody. And Stephen Kwan was I felt like nine for twelve this week against US, like it was just hit after hit. He's finding himself this year. And Travis Pazana, you know, has that power as well, so you know, getting in a position bring him in the eighth inning. I just thought was a weirdition, but also I acknowledged the fact that this is it's a doubleheader.
Speaker 2: And your options were limited unfortunately.
Speaker 1: Yeah, who else are you going to? That's the problem you're thinking about it. Who else do you go to? Maybe you go to Soto earlier, not like Soto did any better. And I know Rafa had a tough.
Speaker 2: But US did do better. If he comes into a clean inning.
Speaker 1: Yeah maybe possibly. We'll never know. But it's a shame that Christian Curtis's debut got spoiled and people are not going to remember it as much. I hope they do despite everything that happened, because this guy shoved. He went in there on a debut in an away series, a double header, and he just grinded it out. He got deep into counts, he was able to throw all of his pitches confidently, Scott. We were talking about the poise that he showed. He did not look like a rookie out there. And people want to argue, Hey, the numbers didn't look great, and screw the numbers, Okay, you could talk about Braxton Ashcraft last year didn't have great numbers going into the season. It's not about that. It's about the stuff, okay. And you combine the stuff with the type of person that Christian Curtis is and you trust him to go out there and take care of business. When we saw him walk onto the field, we were just hanging out by the dugout. We got there way too early. We were just chilling by the dugout and the players are walking in and we're like, is that Christian? And when we tweeted out like Christian Curtis is here, it was such a full circle moment and like, just to talk about us for a second, I don't want to take away Christian Curtis's moment. But if you go back to episode thirty six, Scott, episode thirty six of Bucko Banter, that would have been July twenty third of twenty twenty four, almost two years to the date we had Christian Curtis come on the podcast in his first professional season as a baseball player, and he was our first professional baseball play ever to be on the show. Okay, he probably didn't know that before agreeing to it, but he came on the show and we talked to him that episode for about an hour and his story I beg you episode thirty six if you want to throw back two years ago Christian Curtis came on the show. He also came on the show in episode one fifty five as well, but go back to episode thirty six and listen to his story. It is so unlikely that this kid would make it to the pros. He had all the talent in the world. He got screwed by a doctor who messed up his surgery. He was losing all feeling in his arms, and up until twenty twenty four maybe still today, he didn't have feeling in his ring finger and his pinky on his throwing hand, which would affect a lot of his secondary pitches. Because they're fuel pitches, you got to have a good feel for it. Scott could talk about that all.
Speaker 4: That you put certain pressure points on the ball with different fingers, on different pitches. So like, yeah, if you don't have a feeling in your ring finger you're trying to spin the baseball, that could affect the the pitch overall.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and this guy didn't have it. He just didn't have feeling and he worked and he grinded. And we mentioned when we saw him in the breakout game, like he could be a guy. And he just kept going and going and going. And you didn't expect him to debut this early, but my god, Scott, like he did everything he could do to help that team win.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'll tell you what.
Speaker 4: I not that I didn't expect that, but like that was that was awesome and and also I'm just really happy, unfortunate that we were there to witness his debut. I think Christian Curtis is very near and dear to our hearts, being the first player to join us on Bucko banner as we were building this passion project, and you know, to see him walk on the field and know the type of guy that he is and how great of a family he comes from, I mean, it was so cool to just be there to watch him just shine and to see him just go out there with such confidence too. Man, I mean, like I think tweeted out from my account that he's pitching with the poison a vet right now. Like he did not look like a rookie. He did not look like a guy that was trying to aim the ball or be a perfectionist. He was out there throwing, and like you mentioned Braxton Ashcraft, this is a guy that came up last year. His numbers weren't sexy out of Triple A, but the stuff way believed in the guy they believed in. The same is true with Christian Curtis. This is a big league arm and I'm super excited. I don't think we've seen the last of him in Pittsburgh, and I think he's going to be a big part of the future of this organization.
Speaker 1: Really really cool. The only thing I want to talk about or touch on before we take a break and then get into our preview for the Yankees is Jacob Gonzalez. We interviewed Jacob Gonzalez Saturday morning, the newly acquired pirate that was traded for the competitive Balance pick, and Jane Woods has made his mark already with Pittsburgh and a lot of people were screaming and hollering about the trade fire, Ben Charrington, this is atrocious right now now like down with the system R E. L a X. Relaxed, let things play out. You're not a GM for a reason. And I'm not trying to like, I'm not trying to yell at people or or say your feelings aren't valid as Pirates fans, you're a bit jaded. I get it, okay, but that should be a quote part.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is.
Speaker 1: A guy with you know, pedigree, a first round talent who, in just based on our sources alone from people that we know that have worked with him directly, has made significant strides in the past year to be more contact oriented, get a little bit more separation with his hands, and get his hips the line. We talked about that in detail. It's going to be out on our bench banter episode on Wednesday. But my God's god, he crushed his first home run as a Pirate and then he continued to hit throughout the series.
Speaker 2: Today.
Speaker 1: Great.
Speaker 4: I didn't think he's st today because it splits against lefties aren't great and we're facing We faced another lefty to start today, Joey Cantello. It was a solid arm like I mentioned before, and he had some really hard hit balls. I mean he hit one to the center field warning track. It was like one hundred and seven off the bat that was caught. He also hit it was it a double. I think it was double RBI double later on in the game. But yeah, man, I mean, Gavin Williams is the power arm. He does struggle with a putty away, put away pitch against left handed batters. But he was sitting fastball. He said this in the in the post game. We talked to him in the post game. He said, he was sitting fastball and he got a hanging, breaking ball and he just got the best of it. Man. And the swing changes that we talked about with him have really shown he's hitting the ball hard. He mentioned at the end too, that when he put on the welding mask that he was, it was a little bit scary at first because it was really dark, which is pretty funny.
Speaker 1: If you go back and watch the video and he's walking down, he's just like movie. He's like, oh my god.
Speaker 4: But it all seriously, I was laughing when I was. We were video dating that as he was saying it. But great kid had a fun conversation with him. That'll be out Wednesday. You know, this could be the future third basement of this team. You know, this could be an answer in the infield. He can play all four info positions and probably a blow average runner, so I think long term he would end up on a corner anyways. But he played a fine short stop this week.
Speaker 1: Really like, he made some really nice plays, man Like it wasn't unnoticed. DK brought it up after the game, him, Gonzalez, Low Callahan, They all made really nice plays in the doubleheader and then going into Sunday as well, but just really positive, like an immediate impact, something that you knew you needed. And as the famous quote goes, f them picks right if you're gonna get a guy right now that's guaranteed to be on the major league roster, the twenty six guys that are there, and he's going to contribute and help you win ball games right now, or at least even give you a chance to win ball games right now, by all means, do it. And people wanted it to be a reliever. I get it, but you also needed this as well. You can't. You can't complain about Jared Triolo and then also complain about this. You just can't do it.
Speaker 2: You mean the Jared Triolo that we faced four times.
Speaker 1: Today, exactly, the guy that got two hits and walk twice.
Speaker 4: He was in.
Speaker 2: THEOL and everyone was crying about it. Yeah, that's exactly Jared.
Speaker 4: In all seriousness, I feel like the anger around Treolo is mostly that he comes up in big situations more often than we would hope. Like it just seems like he's up in these high leverage at bats all the time. But if you look at the season for a super utility guy compared to last year's hitting around two forty, I'll take it. I wish he had a little bit more power, but like it hasn't been a wash of a season compared to last year's offense.
Speaker 1: I want to see what he does in high leverage situations.
Speaker 4: Yeah, let's pull that up. And then after that, I want to get into a trade offer that Jay has.
Speaker 1: He's hitting one to fifteen.
Speaker 6: I was gonna say, I have the numbers pulled up for Triola.
Speaker 1: All right, we don't have to go into it. We don't have to go into it.
Speaker 4: Well, let's pull Ja in here real quick, because I want to talk about let's let's got more positive things Jay brought to our touch, which I actually love this offer. Talk about a potential trade offer that could maybe improve this team in the second half, especially in the bullpen.
Speaker 5: So this was tossed around by a friend of mine named Ben Uh. It's a pretty interesting trade. Met's are going to trade us Luke Weaver and aj Minter, two really powerful back end.
Speaker 2: No Mentor was healthy.
Speaker 4: I'm looking at his numbers twenty games and he's one eighty or a looks like he's having to Really he's a lefty JWO power lefty.
Speaker 5: Yeah, two guys you can immediately stick at the back of the bullpen. And the Pirates side would be Hunter, Barco, the Password and Connor Wickgriff.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 5: There's a lot to part with there on our side. Obviously, we like the Password and we like Connor Wickgriff quite a lot as well, and Barco seems like he has some potential too. But to me, this this feels like a move where you go all in on and just say, Okay, we're going to cut our losses here for guys that can impact us and help us now, because this is what we really need, especially because you get another year of Luke Weaver at the end of this two So it's not just a one and done.
Speaker 4: I think I say yes to this like almost immediately, and I signed the Builders.
Speaker 6: The only question I have is do the Mets say yes to this instantly?
Speaker 1: I think pass on their side a little bit because Hunter Barco is injury prone. He's injured right now. Justinson Garcia has limited major league time but has not shown that he is an everyday guy yet ton of potential there. Connor Wickgriff is probably the best guy in this deal that I would be super pumped about.
Speaker 6: Yeah, for sure.
Speaker 5: Do you think that the Pirates would have to add another leg to this deal? And if so, could it be like a Rule five eligible guy. I know that we've talked a lot, just in text and whatnot about moving some of these guys because the Pirates have a lot, they have a lot of decisions to make coming up with these Rule five US guys that have had good years and couldn't impact big league level.
Speaker 6: But you just can't reason with putting on the forty man right now.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, I for sure, I think you might have to add a leg to this. The Connor Wickriff, I think, is like, you know what you're getting with him?
Speaker 2: And I love that.
Speaker 4: I think you got more obviously more upside with the password and and Hunter Barcoe and Hunter Barco just got back to triple A.
Speaker 2: Through three innings.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yesterday, I believe so, I mean, but obviously durability is a concern there. These are two older relievers, guys hither're in their thirties. And I know Luke Weaver just signed a two year deal with the Mets. AJ Minter what's what's his deal is?
Speaker 1: It?
Speaker 2: Was it one year?
Speaker 4: Because I know this, Yeah, this is the guy we talked about, and I thought he was injured to start the season. But two, like, I think that's I think that's you could add a I would add a leg and be fine with that.
Speaker 6: Years.
Speaker 2: Two years.
Speaker 4: Okay, you probably need to add a leg. But still, these are older relievers and I think this would be great. I think you could feel comfortable about this bullpen going forward, because I would love a bullpen where.
Speaker 2: Gregory Soto is a sixth or seventh inning guy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but this is also the two years has ended.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, this is standard two years? Okay, Well he's a free agent next year at thirty three.
Speaker 4: So but yeah, again, that point remains, like Sono this year and people have been frustrated with him because hes got what five or six blown saves. This is what Soto's always been, and this was you know, I like the signing as a power lefty, a guy that throws hard. Maybe Bill Murphy can work with him a little bit and cut down on some of those bad outings where things blow up, but this is what he's always been.
Speaker 5: He's also been putting some really tough situations too, Like asking him to get at five out save is pretty ridiculous. But that's just where you're at right now. That's just where you're at right now. You don't have a better, better way.
Speaker 1: To go with that. So rock Wall also didn't do him any favors behind the plate.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was bad. That was bad.
Speaker 4: But yeah, I mean I think getting Gregory in like less high, high leverage situations would be ideal for this bullpen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, push everybody down the line a little bit. I say yes to this trade. And it's just a matter again if it needs to be tweaked with a little bit on our end.
Speaker 6: Do you talk money? Is Long White crazy for this?
Speaker 1: At this point, I'm so bought in to this current team and doing anything you can. I just don't want to look back on the twenty twenty sixth season and say, hey, they could have made this move, or they should have traded this guy, or they could have done this to try and help them. If it doesn't work out, it doesn't work out. I just want to say they did what they could in order to help this team win, that they provided the necessary pieces at the right time. If I can't say that, I will look back and I'll i'll moan and I'll pout about it. But right now I need to be somewhat positive that they're going to make these moves in order to at least assist a little bit in pushing this across the board. Yeah.
Speaker 4: I mean, if this were to not work for some reason, like I would not be upset with the trade. I would be upset that and bum that it didn't work out. But I'm like, all right, I can I can rest easy saying that they went for it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And here's the deal. If the trade doesn't go well, Okay, say Louke Weaver doesn't play well, AJ Mintro doesn't play well, You'll lose them going into next year. That's fine. All you have to do is just go out and commit a crime, and then Farah Weaver and Oakin we'll get you out of jail. It's that easy. Okay, here's the pass. Okay, you commit a crime, you get a free consultation from Faraoh Weaver and Oakin because they fight for your rights, providing aggressive criminal defense and appellate representation when the stakes are highest, when it counts most experience matters. Call Faraoh Weaver and Oakin today for any of your legal needs. Disclaimer, please do not commit crimes, but if you do, call Faral Weaver and Oakin again. That's Farao Weaver and okin.
Speaker 2: Incredible, incredible, that's so good.
Speaker 1: Why don't we talk about the Yankees.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's talk about.
Speaker 4: The Pirates left Cleveland after the game just like we did, but we came back to Pittsburgh.
Speaker 2: We did not head further east New York City.
Speaker 4: They're gonna go face the Yankees, the second team in the Al Eas right now. They're entering fifty four and forty four. They lost to the Dodgers day. I guess if you're looking for a positive, they just got banged up by the Dodgers a little bit. Coming out of the All Star break, and we're avoiding Cam Schlitler this week. It's gonna start tomorrow with our dog, Brax and Ashcraft versus Ryan Weathers, third left in a row. We faced Logan Allen, we faced Joey Cantaella. Now Ryan Weathers. This Ryan Weathers three and seven with a four to fifteen R eight this year ninety seven to two innings, two thirds innings, pitch one under ten ks. There's a four scene change sweeper, sink or slider. He's comfortable attacking both right he's and lefties. He has above average change up that allows him to neutralize right handed bats. He generates ground balls when his sinker is working. But the big problem with him has always been durability. This is a guy that has been tried in the bullpen or in long relief roles, even an eye lever trolls and is now a starter with the Yankees. Durability has been a concern. He's not a soft tossing left. This is guy's gonna pump it up ninety six ninety seven from the left side. Uh, you know, don't let him beat the don't let him get you at the bottom of the zone and beat the ball into the ground. But this will be a fun matchup, guys, fun matchup between him and Ashcraft.
Speaker 1: And then Tuesday you got Bubba Chandler VERSU right handed pitcher Will Warren. This year, Warren is seven and four with a four h three ERA in nineteen games ninety eight in a third innings pitch ninety six k's with a one to three six whip. The arsenal you're going five pitch mix allows him to navigate the lineup multiple times. That includes the four seamer, sinker, sweeper change curveball. Above average strike throwing and willingness to attack the zone generates a decent number of ground balls with the sinker changeup combination. He doesn't possess a true putaway pitch against elite hitters despite the deep arsenal, so strikeouts often come after sequencing rather than overpower powering stuff. The fastball is susceptible to hard contact due to lack of bats and missing traits, So you got to attack him early on. And this is somebody that the Pirates can definitely thrive against.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think this is a matchup I'm looking forward to. I think this is a guy that can jump on early. But let's go to Wednesday, Mitch Keller is to get right game for him against old friend and Vett Garrett Cole. Garrett Coles since returning to the league three and five with a three nine three ERA, fifty five innings, fifty five k's and one one six whip. We'll throw the forcing slider, change, curve, sinker at you, forcing almost fifty percent at the time. He's still up in the ninety six to ninety eight range. Elite strike thrower. He gets ahead consistently generates plenty of swings and misses with elevated fastballs and sliders below the zone. Don't chase those excellent sequencing and exploiting hitters weaknesses. Like most power pitchers, mistakes left over the middle of the plate can be hit hard, And boy am I.
Speaker 2: Excited to see this Pirates offense again.
Speaker 4: Scare cool because I think this is a guy that could hit hard with those mistake pitches if they come.
Speaker 1: Also at a Yankee stadium, which is just a Mickey Mouse ballpark.
Speaker 2: Makes you really want to see O'Neil Cruz, Spencer Horowitz.
Speaker 1: Huh, it really does, it really does. But you got Brandon Lowe, you got Ryan O'Hearn, Yeah, it's Marilyn Valdez. I'm pumped about this team. Man, It's it's really exciting.
Speaker 4: I told Adam walking out of Progressive Field today that you know, last year, with this team going into the behemoth that is Yankee Stadium in the Bronx, that I would have felt nervous because these are young guys, they're inexperienced, Like the offense just wasn't even remotely the same as it is this year. But this year they're going in there with Brandon Low and Rhin Ohearn, two vets, two season vets that have experienced in the al at Al East, experience in this type of environment. They've got season vets that they haven't had before. And you know, I think they're gonna give the Yankees a run for their money because I don't know about how many teams are better than the Pirates in the AL. I really don't call me crazy, but I don't think you can name I don't think you can name five teams in the AL that are better than the Pirates.
Speaker 1: I don't. I don't think you're crazy. I'm gonna validate your feelings right now. I don't think you're crazy at all. Hey, If you want all these matchups and breakdowns and whatnot, all you have to do is go to Bucko Banter dot com, put your email in it send, go to your email, opt in and you'll get all this in more every single series. This episode is also brought to you by sports card Junction. Every card that we give away at every game is courtesy of sports card Junction ninety eleven Harry Highway, Basketball, Baseball, football, hockey, soccer, Pokemon, whatever your heart desires. Sports card Junction has you covered. The best hobby shop on the planet ninety eleven Perry Highway, or you can visit them at sportscard junction dot com. We're back from Cleveland. We got a little bit of an away series here in the Bronx, and then we come back for yinzer Palooza weekend against the Cubs, another massive series. We say it every episode. Let's make a habit of it. One game at a time, one game at a time. I think the fresh faces will come. We'll get some moves here soon. I think the wheels are in motion. Hope to god they are. But this offense man is so fun to watch it. It makes me happy to watch baseball like, I'm pumped about it. I can't. I haven't said that many days in my lifetime. Besides just playing myself, watching baseball generally has been an excruciating experience for me. Now it's not now anything can happen, and I'm really excited. I'm excited for us, I'm excited for the guys. I'm excited for the fan base to play meaningful baseball right now on July nineteenth and moving forward. And let's just keep the train moving, man.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, let's do that.
Speaker 4: They will be in New York until Wednesday, and then we have Thursday off, Friday through Sunday, like you said, begins or Palooza. The Cubs are coming to town, so we will be back at PNC Park. Excited to get back there after the U All Star break. But until then, boys, let's uh, let's do a little hoisting.
Speaker 1: Huh toist it be.
Speaker 3: Thiefs at the parents and they let me run the base. Yeah. My time is like my money because I can't afford to waste. Oh wife, hears a lloyan, take my date to my dates or the stick by the plate, Synick