Speaker 1: Good good morning, Swirl, and welcome to the No Dunks Podcast, presented by Fan Duel. It's Friday, January twenty third, twenty twenty six. This is the Drop. I'm Jay Skis here in the Classic Factory and alongside me as always Task.
Speaker 2: Mellis Podcast listeners, this is for you.
Speaker 1: Next to him, it's my top shot hot boy Trey Kirby heh a oh, and overyonder making the magic happen. Super producer Jade there is here. We are. Hello to everybody joining us on YouTube. Hit the like button, subscribe podcast listeners, five star ratings and reviews. Fun drop today some worst of the week nominees. Oh yeah, we got whoa boy, we got pick them, we got a rabbit fire. But we start with what you got? What you got? Oh man, I twisted myself into a pretzel to make these what you've got this morning for the guy. These are pretty wide. Oh I got creative. Let's start with this. The Philadelphia seventy six ers defeated the Rockets one eight two in overtime last night, but we probably should have never seen the extra period. JD. If you've got it, go ahead and roll it, because in the final seconds of regulation. Maxi attempted a layup that's going to get swatted here off the backboard by Durant, but the ball hit the glass before Katie touched it, which should have resulted in a goaltending call. Of course, because goaltending was not called on the play, I don't know why it could not be reviewed. And then the refs like immediately followed this up with another botched, you know, inadvertent whistle. It was a mess at the end of this game. So just sit on that for one second, because we also had the Mavericks beating the Warriors, winning their fourth consecutive game. Good stuff from them. But the Dubs were up one midway through the fourth quarter when Draymond Green he went crazy. He was called for a flag and foul. Less than a minute later, another fowl by Green that was reviewed. It wasn't called a flagrant, but he sort of just went crazy, got a lot of fouls, fouled out of the game. He had four points, three turnovers, and what was a close game suddenly you know, ballooned into the Mavericks going on an eleven o'er run and the Warriors loose. So what was the worst performance from last night the Rockets seventy six ers refereeing or Draymond Green tasmoos what you got.
Speaker 2: I got Draymond Green. I'm not going to start by defending the referees. I'll do that in a few minutes because I don't want to start with that. Let's just talk about Draymond Green hitting people because he's too slow now, I mean, that's what he came down to. He was He's literally just unable to keep up with the foot speed have anybody around him. So he's hitting people and you could see it in Steph's face. I am sad. He's literally he's literally not feeling good. Maybe it's because of the Brown Town jerseys they're wearing. No, it's just because there's no Jimmy Butler. They're trying to start Brandon Pajemski in Jimmy's place since he went down, and Brandon Pajemski, I mean you could be sad about that. He missed so many layups. I think it's three little literal layups. Just put the Anthony Melton into that starting lineup already. That guy is keing to it. He is so good right now. And then we'll get to a Jonathan kaminga injury. So I just think that whole thing, that whole thing is far worse than what the referees did or didn't do by not calling that goaltend.
Speaker 1: Yeah, maybe true.
Speaker 3: The Sixers went on to win, like I said, so there was that, yes, karma justice.
Speaker 1: It's just weird because they always call that a goaltend, so they can go and look at it. Yes, and suddenly they decide John Goebel and his team like, nah, we didn't think it was a goaltend, so play on.
Speaker 2: Let me defend it. Let me defend it one second, okay, because tyres Max and MAXI takes it to the glass and you know that he is literally trying to get it to the glass as fast as possible or for sure he doesn't let go of the ball. It's one of those I'm getting it to the glass. Literally his hand hits the glass. And to defend the referee, I don't know how they don't call it, but you don't see him release the ball. Is that part of it where it's literally he doesn't come out of his hand, he's literally his hand. Yeah, and then but it is quick. They just they always call it. They changed the rule for this call it. Yeah, they change. They change it so they could take it.
Speaker 1: Back, right, so they so they can look at it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly, this was like an obvious goaltend in real time.
Speaker 1: It wasn't even close.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for sure.
Speaker 3: There's a guy standing behind he's videotaping it. I'm sure he saw that it was clearly a goaltend. So they blew it. And like you're saying, they usually just call it so that they can go and take a look at it.
Speaker 1: So where that they didn't.
Speaker 3: But uh, like we said, good stuff for the seventy six ers to come out and play really well in over time and say, hey, we had the momentum. Anyways, we carried it over so you can easily get the railed in a scenario like that.
Speaker 1: They didn't.
Speaker 2: That was nice, Yeah, it was nice. It was so funny because the end of it was hilarious. I watched it live. And then they go and they allow a jump ball.
Speaker 1: They made a jump.
Speaker 2: Ball, and and then the sixers had point one seconds after the jump ball they get they stopped the clock to say you get point one seconds because if the buzzer went off. Anyways, I can't explain it because it's so freaking complicated. It was odd. It was odd. The whole thing was odd. But the Warriors thing is that's tough, man, It's tough everything going on around.
Speaker 3: That and a sad season. Yeah, so which one would you pick here? If I would pick the refs, Okay, I hate the refs. If they got it right, I'd kind of be mad at them. Why you stop the game. But Draymond, Like, I don't know, I think Draymon's fall off. He's still a great, at the very least playoff defender. Like put him in a postseason scenario where you're game planning against whoever. He can frustrate people and can still be a really effective guy. But like over the course of an eighty two game season, he's hurting you on offense. At this point, the Warriors almost have to build their offense around Draymond's weaknesses more so than Steph Curry. And that's before even Jimmy got hurt. Now they're going to need even more from him. Three turnovers last night, they were brew not even close to like being completed. He did get five assists, but it really should have been three because Stepp did all the work on a couple of these, he's not gonna shoot. Like he took three shots maybe in the first three minutes, and it's like, Okay, I didn't make any of them, so I'm.
Speaker 1: Tapped out from here on out.
Speaker 3: He's just kind of become a negative player for the Warriors, and from all accounts, like they will never trade him, understandably, like he's a franchise legend. He put four titles up in the yeah, up in the rafters, so I get it.
Speaker 1: But but like.
Speaker 3: He's holding them back as a team and they need even more from him now now that Jimmy went down, now that Kminge even got hurt, and he's just not reliable somehow, the Warriors are better on offense and on defense when Draymond sits this year, that's bad.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Has there ever been a guy in NBA history who has won his team more games but maybe also lost his team board games than Draymond Green. And I'm going back obviously to some previous playoff runs too where he really hurt his team because of his antics here, but this one where he's like tagging Dwight Powell like on his rim run but pops, So I'm like, he throws an ellboy, he throws a little chicken wing Powell got took a shot to the gut. Did he sell it Maybe a little bit, but he sold it because it's Draymond. I think, of course, are going to go look at it. That was the flagrant. Then he obviously had a harder foul right after that. Now he's trying to prevent a basket on that one. I don't think it was anything malicious, but then but he just like it's spirals. He just cannot stop and let it go. And I think at times like this is not the first time we've talked about this with Draymond, like it affects his team negatively, and it did in this game.
Speaker 2: It did so it did.
Speaker 1: I don't know if it was the main only reason they lost, but he sure didn't help their chances down the stretch.
Speaker 2: He needs to be consistently good now with Jimmy Butler out, and that ain't gonna happen. That's the problem. And he does have games where those threes go down. He even had a reverse layup. I thought, WHOA last night, that might be pretty, but he missed. Uh, And yeah, it does spiral. I don't think he deserved a flagrant foul for the tagging. Dwight Palell sold really well, and I don't think there was a flagrant on the other one either, underneath because he he held the player after he hit him. But it's spirals. Then he starts getting in fights with everybody.
Speaker 1: It's amazing he isn't tossed from these games half the time too. We talked about this, Oh my god, and maybe now they can't even hear him because I got a Britney Spears head piece on it. I don't hear him out of one ear. That's why they're wearing the noise canceling. John Goebels tell the other they turned up my Spotify playlist. Man, I don't want to hear this guy yell.
Speaker 3: You think John Goebel listens to well, we could find out really quick. Does Gobel listen to he like Hall and Oates or something like that. I think, whoa, whoa, whoa. Okay, this is actually a bit of a surprise to me. Favorite movie The Godfather, I mean, okay, classic favorite app amazon, but favorite musician, says John Goebel, enjoys hip hop, salsa and reggaeton.
Speaker 2: Rhythm.
Speaker 1: I could not picture. I'm listening to that all right, it's so hilarious.
Speaker 2: When there was the in arena interviews of players that they do, you know, constantly they hear these videos. They did it with Cam Whitmore for the Wizards last night. What's the first app you check in the morning? I message it's weird.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, we get it.
Speaker 2: It's just the app. The app question is a weird question.
Speaker 1: Is your favorite app?
Speaker 4: Mail?
Speaker 2: I'm one of those with checks mail every second. My favorite my favorite real app? It's a really good Yeah.
Speaker 1: What is your favorite real app or the one you use the most often? Favorite spin off app? Not a not a built into your phone app?
Speaker 2: Oh, not a native app phone?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 1: Maybe my any Dot do list?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: You do love any loyal to your Tony Parker's loyal though with Sandwich, you're loyal to any Dot do.
Speaker 1: What do I have to do today? Still, I didn't take my pills this morning. I need to drink thirty two ounces of water and I need to look into Valentine's Day decorations for the studio. At least you can get two of those done at the same time. Pills in the water. I usually do take a pill chug a bunch of water. That's the way drink water anyway. Yeah, anyway, Jonathan Kaminga, you did allude to it, you pointed out, Okay, that's all right. Johnathan Minga left the game early after he injured his ankle. Maybe I guess part of the knee as well. On a fast break there and stepped on somebody and then like went to the baseline, told a little girl to get out of her seat.
Speaker 2: Didn't tell her to get out of seat. I was sitting in her seat, that's for sure, and he told her.
Speaker 1: I didn't either used words or basically like move, but.
Speaker 2: She got up because she didn't want to get hit because.
Speaker 3: No, no, he went over pretty slow because then he's like, oh, oh, something's.
Speaker 2: Wrong because parents were taking photos of it. Yeah, this is cool.
Speaker 1: Maybe so maybe maybe a mother or father said Candy, get out of your seat.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, can't.
Speaker 1: I don't know why.
Speaker 2: I probably requested it. Probably anyway, not good. No, No, the fact that he left the game. Now, he did get up and walk and he looked fine, and it was an ankle turned. The replay showed, yeah, he turned his ankle, but they called it a knee injury. I guess they're just being cautious. I think it's the simplest.
Speaker 1: The team is or he is, or both.
Speaker 2: Yeah's a good question.
Speaker 3: It's probably all combined, just like the injury because it was a turned ankle, but his knee bends weird too, so just unstable when he landed, and then you just got to sit in the stands for a little bit. They were loving it though, Candy and her mom Sandy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that'd be cool.
Speaker 2: Jump.
Speaker 1: Well do you think they come and tell it down after he leaves and tobbles off? I would want it tell it that, I think, yeah. Prettys Otherwise, Uh, just related Warriors news here, got some Jake Fisher slop yesterday. He says the Warriors plan to target Lebron James and Giannis Ante Compo in the off season. Like one idea goodly crap, a good idea strong idea by the Warriors. Any chance at all you think this happens here? Maybe one or the other, but both. It's pretty far fetched.
Speaker 3: I think Golden State it feels like has been chasing Jannis for seven years. We know that they had at least discussions, maybe not at last trade deadline, but at twenty twenty four deadline for a Lebron to Golden State trade, and it was kind of like, what does Lebron and Rich Paul think, because well, let them decide at that time they said no. But a lot of reporting is coming out, like kind of included in this bus family stuff that it's seeming like this is going to be Lebron's last year in Los Angeles. There's not a lot of places you can imagine him playing out the last season maybe two of his career, like La is one of them, Cleveland is one of them. I think New York has to be in the mix, just because he's always been linked to there, back when he was like holding up the hat, remember those days, Remember those days when he came out with like a New York Knicks colored chi when they're like he's gone, he's leaving in twenty ten, He's going.
Speaker 1: To New York.
Speaker 3: Never happened, but you could see Lebron playing there, and I think you could see him playing with Steph.
Speaker 1: Curry on the Warriors.
Speaker 3: It would require Lebron taking like a massive pay cut, which maybe he would do since he's this far into his career. I think maybe Lebron is even more realistic than Giannis going to Golden State.
Speaker 2: Okay, I think Lebron is more realistic because the Yannis one would take a trade and that's a lot of money to get together to accumulate for Jiannis's fifty eight. I think he's making next year.
Speaker 1: Well not, I mean, if it's a Jimmy contract, Jimmy Butler, send him home to the Mill to Wisconsin. Yeah, but a bunch of draft picks.
Speaker 2: But if you believe in any of the slop and any of these rumors, I think they do want to keep Jimmy Butler for one more year because they're trying to get Steph to the top, to the championship. Now, it would sort of make sense. I think Lebron would want to play with anybody in the NBA. If it is anybody, it's Steph. I mean, it is the guy, the two guys that have been the play of this era. He played with them in the Olympics. Doesn't have to go too far to Golden State, you know, instead of flying across the country, flying to another city. And he's a free agent, so he can sign for what he wants. You know, usually he signs for the Macs. So that is a problem.
Speaker 5: Here.
Speaker 2: That being said, I think that one makes more most sense.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's go back to Embiid before we move on to the right next. What you got because he did have a monster game. Yeah, incredible game in that overtime win against the Rockets. Maxi great as well. Kelly Ubri had a good game. But is dwell Embiid back baby like he's putting together a string here in January or the last fifteen games or so, scoring on a pretty decent clip. He rebounded a lot last night, defense a little more engaged. What do you think about Embiid how he's played recently. He's having an impact, I think, And is he fully backed? No, I don't think he'll ever be like point a minute Embiid like he was right before he suffered these last few injuries that really kind of put him in another phase of his career.
Speaker 3: But he's played more games already than last season.
Speaker 1: He is sick.
Speaker 3: The Sixers are six points per one hundred possessions better when he's on the court. I think he really helps MAXI. You saw a lot of two man game from those two last night, and beat is like bought into setting screens. Not that he wasn't a screener during his MVP years. That was a huge part of how he got into his offense. But I like to see him inside banging like he's throwing down dunks and near dunks out of the post. And early in the season it was like all they could do with him is getting the ball at the free throw line and see him do a couple of jab steps and knock down the mid range jumper. He's a good shooter from there, so that was an easy way for him to score. But you can tell he's feeling better about his body if he's gonna be banging with these big dudes like a Clint Capella down inside. He's also not dragging down their defense anymore. I think that's the bigger issue for him be because it does not look like he can move very well side to side, but at least he's massive, at least he rebounds. So they've done a really good job the Sixers have of figuring out how to play with Maxie as their number one guy, Edgecombe coming along, Paul George has just become a dirty work guy. Like I hate to say it, but I'm starting to like Paul George right now.
Speaker 1: Is he like the to me cool. Now he's turning into like a cooler maybe better still like Nick Batoum sure right, Like he's actually doing all the dirty little work and defense and can hit threes at times. Yeah, I'm with you.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Starting the year, it felt like there was the team when Embiid was on the court and they had to figure out a way to fit him in, And there was a team when Embiid was off the court and they would play faster and everything was more perimeter oriented.
Speaker 1: Now they feel like a full team together.
Speaker 3: So I'm impressed with Embiid and what the Sixers have done and tasks.
Speaker 1: There is no better sign that Jowell Embiid is feeling like Joel Embiid than when he starts trolling online. And that's what he did in this game, because I gotta tell everyone the story here. Back at EuroBasket over the summer, former Sixer Frikain cork Maz said that dwell Embiid was no longer the best center he'd ever played with. That honor now went to his countryman in Elprince sheng Gun. I don't think it was like an embid dis as much as it was like I'm playing with Elprin. She gun he's really awesome right now. He's helping Turkey here, so that's what he said. Of course, em Bete filed that one away, took it as a slight to some extent. Let it simmer for months, and then battles Elprin. Schengun has this monster triple double. Game gets the victory and JD you have the photo here after the game, posted this Instagram photo of him staring back at Schengun had it stumbled and he was fallen down and he just wrote furk.
Speaker 6: So again, that's a good sign when embat is doing this exactly right right.
Speaker 3: He was playing it pretty cool at the beginning of the season as he was trying to get his legs underneath him. He was not a trash talker at all. He was just trying to fit in. And as he's gotten.
Speaker 1: More comfortable this season, he's gotten more comfortable online as well.
Speaker 3: Do you think furk and CORKMZ follows Joel and Bete on Instagram.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I mean he might have maybe, yeah, However he stuck it out yea. What did he find out about this? Was he tagged in it? Or did somebody send it to him. I don't even know where Furk and Quirk Mas is right now.
Speaker 2: He's playing abroad. Okay, all right, but he did request multiple trades from the Philadelphia Centery six Ers. He wanted out. Yeah, he played there for seven years.
Speaker 1: That's crazy.
Speaker 2: Is crazy. That's the only part of his NBA career seven years. It flew by. Oh like, I just don't remember him playing three hundred and twenty eight games, all with the Sixers, all with Joel Embiid being around.
Speaker 1: It's a great point.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I wonder if that was just a straight up disc when he started playing with Alpern Shangu and he said he's better than that guy. I mean there's something there.
Speaker 6: Probably I really don't know I was doing all that, but like saying em Bead sucks when he said that comment, just saying alp U was a young talented really is really good.
Speaker 3: And Bean Stewid, Oh my god, how dare you? I think it's I think it's perfect and Bead it's like a lot of funny. Maybe there's a little bit of like, no, I'm still the best, that's what makes them hilarious.
Speaker 2: But listen, I hope we see Joel Embiid play for the next few months. I'm not yes, I'm holding my my brother just a little bit. They played it differently this year, and that they played it super slow from the beginning of the season Medically. I don't know if Brian Souiter can really weigh his opinion on this, but they played it well and he is playing more often now. He's not playing in back to backs, but he is playing on just one day's rest. As he said earlier this season, he wanted to get off that plan. I want to play more often than just two days rest, and so he.
Speaker 1: Played played forty six minutes last night. I glossed over that. I mean, it was an overtime game, so more minutes were to be played. But he played the most minutes, Like he played more than Maxie, more than a rookie in Edgecub, more than Kelly Uber. You played a ton Like that's pretty crazy, and that's great sign. That's pretty crazy.
Speaker 3: I mean, was the last time and Beid played over forty minutes? Maybe it happened this year, I don't know, but.
Speaker 1: He's I don't think in the regular season. Probably last was a playoff matchup.
Speaker 2: He played, he played forty minutes in three seconds a couple of weeks ago. Actually I'm on a game log here, but he's he's. It has increased the best sign.
Speaker 1: I think Liberty ballers put it like this, Embiid is able to drive some winning basketball right now without having to be the franchise's sun and moon and stars. He doesn't have to be at all, right, he's because it's sort of become Maxie's team. Edgecomb is obviously incredible rookie. These other guys like don't like Barlow is one of their better players. He's a two week guy.
Speaker 2: He has been starting until yesterday. Yeah, when Jelly O Bray sat who came into the starting lineup and it was awesome and he was great.
Speaker 1: So I think that's really that's the key part here. So not all on Juell and Beads shoulders because you've got Maxie playing at an m VP level.
Speaker 2: Not on Maxi's shoulders either. Last year it was all on his shoulders, but now edgecumb changed that because he's been really good. And I can't believe the Paul George and Nicola Batom comparison. Well, I mean, I mean different, he's he's I just think immediately when you watch them, you think, wow, he makes a lot of money, But then you watch the basketball play, Yeah, I just forget about that part. Yes, he's contributing.
Speaker 1: That block on Sheng Gun. Was that in overtime? That one was definitely? I think it was an only time. Hell of a block at the room, all right? Moving on, Holy Holy next what you got here? We'll go a little faster here. I think Kawhi Leonards scored twenty four points. Clippers survived the tight fourth quarter to beat the Lakers last night, one twelve, one oh four. Clippers have now won seven of eight and fourteen to seventeen as they continued their upward climb here in the Western Conference. Also out West, Shadon Sharp scored twenty seven points as the Blazers extended their winning streak to four games with a solid victory over the Heat Portland twenty three and twenty two. First time the Trailblazers are over five hundred through forty five games since twenty twenty twenty one season, so a while ago more surprising record TK you get to started the Clippers at twenty and twenty four because of that very slow start or the Blazers at twenty three and twenty two. Yeah, I don't.
Speaker 3: I wasn't really sure because they are you saying, Clippers surprising good or surprising bad.
Speaker 1: I'm saying surprising good seeing that they started six and that's whatever year exactly they were Last.
Speaker 3: Year they were twenty five and nineteen through forty four games, so much better last season, so I think it would still be a surprise that they're under five hundred. But they've been good for basically two months at this point. Kui's only played thirty one of their forty four games. He's four to nine when he doesn't play. Did play last night, had a good game. But I think Harden's been looking pretty solid. The three ball isn't really falling for him. He did make a big one late in the game yesterday, but he's really doing a great job of getting to the rim finishing inside. And that's something that's like coming gone for Harden as he's gotten older in his career and right now he's been able to penetrate, set up teammates, and more importantly, get to the rim and actually finish. So I've been impressed with the Clippers. Like I've said, I think they're gonna finish in the play in tournament. If not get out of the play and tournament, we'll see who they end up matched up with. But they've been really good for quite some time, and that's bad news for Twitter user rich Homie Flann on December twentieth, this man tweeted, if the Clippers go fifteen and three in any stretch this season, I'll.
Speaker 1: Print and eat this tweet.
Speaker 3: They are fourteen and three in their last seventeen games, and they play the Nets at home on Sunday.
Speaker 1: So if they win, he's got those tweet. He's eating a tweet. That tweet tweet.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: So I think surprising good and bad for the Clippers.
Speaker 3: They shouldn't have been this bad to start the season, but weird they've really come around, and it's been a matter of Tylu figuring out the right combinations.
Speaker 1: Because the Clippers had a bunch of turnover.
Speaker 3: They brought in a bunch of role guys around Harden and around Kawhi Leonard.
Speaker 1: They also were probably distracted at.
Speaker 3: The beginning of the season with the Kawhi investigation, which we're just gonna worry about in March. I suppose they'll be saying anything until after the All Star Game, but they've turned it around. Hylou is just a good coach. He figures out how to get the best out of his team. It's just a problem that they started so so poorly that they're behind the eight ball trying to catch everybody else.
Speaker 2: Rich Homie Flawn, it's going to have to pull off on Matt Austin with the Insanity shake because there was what was it a scroll, a degree, a piece of.
Speaker 1: The Harvard diploma because it was a Jeremy Lynn shake.
Speaker 2: So it was blended into the shake. So Rich Homi Fla can do that. Sure, we'll send the link to the video if it exists. I don't it doesn't.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, classic actually on YouTube? Oh nice. Nice.
Speaker 2: The Clippers are more surprising because as the old saying goes, no more Chris Paul, no more Chris problems. That's not a saying. That's why this is surprising that all of a sudden, after just letting Chris Paul go, they turn into this team. They become this team that they weren't in the first couple months of the season. So it's shocking that Kawhi has had twenty three straight games of twenty points or more. That's the most he's ever had consecutively in his career, and he's doing it now. You know, he had three games off that he took on the road. He took three games off at the end of their road trip, said I'm going home. All of a sudden, I'm back to playing well if he eats the Zubats. Also came back early from his injury that they said he's gonna be out several weeks. Came back two weeks, and then he had ten big offensive rebounds against the Lakers. That was very, very big to go grab second chance points that they outdid the Lakers. There's no doubt.
Speaker 1: He's a big reason why they have turned it around here too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, rough, rough start, yes, and it looked bleak. Oh, he's gonna be out several weeks, just out two. He's playing literally fourteen days later, So that's part of it. But also Chris Dunn back into the starting lineup. I mean they are like last year's starting lineup exactly the same. But John Collins has replaced Norman Powell and so that all is gone. They're just back to who they were with Kawhi playing a decent amount of basketball. John Collins and his last twelve games, he's shooting nearly seventy percent from the floor in sixty two percent from three. Their bench, Kobe Sanders and Jordan Miller are balling. Now, It's not surprising that the Lakers can't hold on a lead. They that's not spread. They can't play for forty eight minutes. They either blowed a team or they lose their lead, like at the end of the second quarter when there was that run by the Clippers. I think they score like ninth straight seventeen nine ten second quarter. It's not surprising. But yeah, the effort level the boards is concerning, I mean, and there's prayers that Austin Reeves comes back. All that to be said, the Blazers are surprising too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm going with the Blazers from my pick here in this what you got because it is funny you said, like the Clippers starting poorly maybe or slow because of the whole cap circumvention scandal surrounding them. Let's not forget the Blazers literally lost their coach right at the start of the season. That's very true. For a whole other scandal to do with gambling at Chauncey Billups and Thiago Splitters steps in there, and they're twenty three and twenty two. And I like this team. Man, They're fun because well they did get Denny Avvia back, Drew Holiday was back, Jeremy was back.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: Avdia left last night's game with a flare up of his back issue. Don't love that, but Shade and Sharp He's averaging twenty six points per every game. Sharp is averaging twenty six points per game and seven boards over Portland's four game win streak. He's hitting the three ball right now with some consistency. Caleb love that guy can flat out score. Kamara is a perfect sort of like modern wing guy defense could score as well. We know or you know how much we love Donovan klingon here on this show. He impacts winning basketball. They have one of the second or they have the second easiest remaining schedule. The Blazers do too, So I think this was a really interesting team to watch her in the second half and positive that they're above five hundred here in the mix, So I'll go with them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they did a great job of recovering. They were twelve and nineteen to start the season. You know, they were good after the All Star Break last year, even a little prior to the All Star Break, basically since January, but since December twenty sixth, the Blazers are eleven and four, but only like eleventh in offense, tenth and def tenth and net rating, like that's just an okay team realistically, But they're six and one in clutch games, and I think that's super impressive because, yeah, Drew Holliday has been back, but he missed a huge chunk of time and it was like Caleb Love stepping up and getting contributions from guys that they weren't expecting. So I think it's pretty I think the Blazers are a pretty solid team. Like they are a top nine locked in team. It wouldn't be surprising if they passed the Warriors. They are looks it looks like two games two and a half games back, or maybe a game.
Speaker 1: And a half. I guess I could click on the actual standing.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 1: I'm just going to completely guess here. Two point five games.
Speaker 3: Right the first time, Yeah, good, exactly, trust yourself.
Speaker 1: But I think they could catch the Warriors because the Warriors.
Speaker 3: Feel like they are struggling right now, might continue to be a struggle without Jimmy, whereas the Blazers are ascending.
Speaker 2: Yes, it is surprising how they put all these pieces of the puzzle together, because I think that's what we're all thinking coming in to this season. They don't really have offensive players. They don't, but Drew Holliday came in made sure they played defense. I think that's a big part of it. Then you see guys like Robert Williams is playing good basketball for them. That guy's always injured, and Drew Holliday has been injured, and Scoot Henderson hasn't played a minute this season. And then yeah, the guys like Caleb Love. I wouldn't check the stats. It feels like every box scorer he's just ripping off points. He's had twenty games of ten points or more. He's a two way guy. Yeah he is good, So that's pretty cool. And then yeah, to all those pieces, just it's led by Denny Abda because he's their offense. He literally is sometimes. But you know, other guys like Shane Sharp have been helping.
Speaker 3: So that's why the last night's win was quality. Because he leaves the game and you're like, oh, here we go. They might fall apart and they went on to sort of dominate in the second half over the Heat.
Speaker 1: All right. Next one, LaMelo Ball returned to Charlotte's starting lineup as the Hornets beat the Magic won twenty four to ninety seven. Last night, Orlando scored forty one points in the first half. They were by a lot and never got back into it. Meanwhile, in Minneapolis, Kobe White scored twenty two. Josh Giddy, He's back. He added twenty one off the bench to lift the Bulls to the one twenty one to fifteen win over the timber Wolves. Minnesota committed a pair of costly turnovers in the final couple minutes or a final minute. I guess I should say, so, what was the worst lost task? You get to started?
Speaker 3: Here?
Speaker 1: Magic or Wolves? What you got?
Speaker 5: This?
Speaker 2: This is good. I think these last two questions have been good because it's difficult to know what these Orlando Magic, what this Orlando Magic team is. But the Wolves, you know that there are going to buckle at times. I mean we always talk about it. They kind of played down to their their competition and the Chicago Bulls they're five hundred here they are back at five hundred. It is weird even there, it's a weird team, like Mantus Bezelz, you're sitting in the fourth quarter. They continued to do that, but they came through against the Wolves, who again kind of just let things go, let the rope go a little bit. We went into last night thinking that Anthony Edwards was going to have a big game against Chicago Bulls. That did not happen. He did not have any offensive help. I mean, he had a bad game where it was Randall and nas Reed and that's it. The rest of their bench, no one scored more than three points. Your your Bones Highland, your Mike Conley's, the guys, you're you're just waiting for somebody to score. So that's not surprising. I get the magic. It's just difficult to know what they are at this point. You think with everybody sort of coming back there, they're looking like themselves. But this that was they got blown out. I mean, as simple as that from the get go, and they didn't do their classic Desmond be Bans getting us back into this game to fight back. So they're more surprising to me.
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah, well I think it's kind of a tough call on which is most surprising because I think the Magic and the Wolves are both pretty inconsistent, like you're saying, especially the Wolves play to the level of their competition. Just one day ago, I was saying, Anthony Edwards, you're the clutch player of the year. Maybe I should have looked at the Wolves as a team in the clutch eighteenth in clutch raiding and that came up clutching that rating. Sorry, that came back to bite them. Last night, not Threeid had that huge dunk put the timberwalls up one ten, one oh four. Minnesota scored five points in the last five minutes of this game. That has been a weird thing with the Bulls. They have been a good clutch defense the last couple of seasons. They just you know, get blown out for the first forty three.
Speaker 1: Minutes a lot of the time.
Speaker 3: But if it's in the clutch, they got a chance and the Wolves offense can just get very Anthony, can you save us?
Speaker 1: Yeah? And last night he was not able to. I'm not I don't know.
Speaker 3: I don't know if I'm super surprised though by the Magic, just because when the Hornets have their guys playing, they're good on offense, and they looked great on offense last night, but a fifty to thirty six points in the paint advantage for Charlotte. I think part of that is no Suggs and Anthony Black kind of had a dud, But it seemed like.
Speaker 1: The Hornets did a really good job getting into the paint.
Speaker 3: Basically any time they wanted moving the ball, they can be an explosive offense team. We just saw LaMelo have a terrible game off the bench and we got the start had a great game in this one.
Speaker 1: So I think both bad losses, both bad losses.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I asked the question they rely on Franz and no Franz last night. I mean that's part of it, of course. That being said, I mean they were getting destroyed. Yeah, Colin Sexton was taken it to them in the first half. Colin Sexton and LaMelo Ball playing back to back, playing more minutes and the second half and back to act that's a good sign. Going from the bench to the starting lineup also a good sign. But spanking a spankin for the magic, you know, without Sugs as you mentioned, and Fronz, I mean that's a part of it.
Speaker 1: But still my one note from the Bulls Wolves game was which one of these point guards? Are the Wolves going to try and trade? Trade four from the Chicago Bulls? You know, Kobe White, Trey Jones, o Desumo, you know, not really maybe a point guard, but you get that point here. I got three that are in trade rumors, and the Wolves could use one. I think they're to help out Anthony Edwards in the back court. But we'll see.
Speaker 3: I guess trade Jones is probably the easiest to get since he's a bench guy. But he's been really good, he's and he has a Minnesota connection. Could happen, right, didn't think of that Apple Valley guy, Beautiful Valley to be really, I think so that's where he's No, that was a.
Speaker 2: Place Billy likes, Bland. Trade Jones, that's for sure.
Speaker 1: Fast, he's very fast. Final one. NBA insider Jake Fisher back to Fisher here. He reported yesterday that the Pacers and Pelicans have explored various trade scenarios that would send fourth year guard Benedict Mathrin to New Orleans and second year center Leaves Missy to Indiana. Fisher classified the possibility as an incomplete deal framework, so maybe they're talking this one out. Potential Mathrin Missy trade is not easy to say, Yeah, your name, what you got TK. I love it.
Speaker 3: This is a great trade because this might be the kind of trades we're talking about on trade Day. Hopefully we get some bigger names then Ben Mathrin and e Mesi. But Indiana to me, is pretty much set on the perimeter at least for their top three or four. Guys like Haliburton will be back next year. They got nem hard locked up, Aaron nee Smith will be around. Ben Shephard not a great season, but like he's a solid enough role player. They definitely need something else on the interior. Mesi I think can play fast, which would be good for playing in this Pacers system. I would say him and Jay Huff.
Speaker 1: Neither of them are like true starter level.
Speaker 3: But this is a good use of the Mathron asset because to me, I really wouldn't want to.
Speaker 1: Pay his next contact. He's a bit of a cominga to.
Speaker 3: Me where if he's scoring, he looks good, and if he's not scoring, there's not really much else he can bring to you. So I think this would be a good way for the Pacers to figure out a way to kind of like balance the depth of their team.
Speaker 1: The Pelicans wouldn't need to add more salary to make any sort of deal work between the two because Mathern does make more than me. Simbo your thoughts on this.
Speaker 2: It does make sense. Unfortunately, it is about the dollar dollar bills. I mean, this isn't baseball like the Los Angeles Dodgers, where they can sign absolutely everybody. But the Indian Pacers don't have as much money as other teams. They just let Myles Turner go for that reason. To give Benedict Matherin while they have a lot of money, while they have all these guards, doesn't really make a ton of sense. He is a little limited. There's no doubt they tried to get him to be more of a playmaker, to be a defender. It happens at times, but not enough to give this guy a lot of money. And in restricted free agency, even though it's not a thing as much, I think somebody will say, we can pay that guy so to get a center, which they desperately need after letting Myles Turner go. Eve mec has not been incredible this year at all, But because Derek Queen is their future, it sort of makes sense. But I mean, the Pacers Isaiah Jackson Jay Huff and I don't know if you occasionally play big with Jaris Walker at center and ain't enough, so they have to get somebody. They may be trying to get more than just Eve me c as the as the what's coming back for Benedict Matherin. I think they're willing to dabble somewhere else.
Speaker 1: But you think this makes sense because the Pacers want a center. Maybe it's him. He did have a promising rookie season. I mean he averaged like as nine and eight as a rook in a lot of games, so it wasn't a small sample size as a starter. But you said, yeah, a lot of the games started right. But now he's buried because they're like, well, we're going with the Blizzard, We're going with DQ. That's sort of our guy, that's what you should do. He looks promising, So yeah, this sort of swap where Matthin at times has looked really good. I think a lot of people expected bigger things this year heading into the season. He was on a lot of people's lists for like, oh, he might be a most improved candidate with Halbert and out a lot of shot opportunities, and yeah, it's really just the amount of money that the pacers I think they have like one hundred and seventy seven million and guaranteed money on the books. So to then give this guy a bigger deal, that's that's putting you in a very difficult spot. So maybe there's something here and maybe it happens. What do we do an emergency podcast for mathoms? I don't think so.
Speaker 3: Because Donut Eyes here in the stream team called it a poop fart trade.
Speaker 1: No, that's not a that's not a poop fart trade. These are two young guys still that fan bases and organizations. You can talk yourself into bigger things still to come. Come on, it's not a poop fart. It's not a trade. It's not a poop fart.
Speaker 2: When you said when you said, I thought maybe it was a poutine for bendic mathm being Canadian, being from Montreal.
Speaker 1: Second day in a row, we've talked about poutine. No, no, second time in three days and the second time, but it was brought up twice on that one show.
Speaker 3: So that's going to have about poutine for waffles trade. Eve Mesi was born in Belgium. Bang yeah, yeah, what would you write I mean, it's all a time of day dependent.
Speaker 1: Of course. Well let me pull overall I'm taking you've never made poutine. I'll tell you that I've never made poutine. Same here. That's crazy. We do a great point.
Speaker 3: Nobody home makes poutine. You make a homemaker waffle. Yea chicken and waffles is.
Speaker 1: From you, guys. Poutine is more popular in Indiana, just guessing.
Speaker 2: Mmm, I don't know about that. I don't know. I can't get a part of that popular in Indiana than where no then waffles are it does?
Speaker 1: See, I don't think so, because I just don't know a lot of people making poutine waffles. You're right, your weekend across this great nation.
Speaker 2: So I only really have to do is make the gravy. You throw the fries in the oven. You never do it. So I know you gotta buy cheese, curds. You gotta get cur problem, but you don't got to make curds. Come bag here you go.
Speaker 1: Let's hear your answers from what you've got, Everyboddy, let us know where you fall with those ones. Those were tough questions, but man, we got there in the end. That was a funny block, guys, we'll take a break and we'll come back with the worst of the week numinies.
Speaker 2: You can bet on anything on FanDuel. FanDuel Predicts app allows you to predict things like let's say you predicted that no dunks would last longer than twenty years. You'd win that. Wow, that bet does not exist. But you can bet on so many things on that app. You can bet on sports on that app. You can bet on crude oils cost, golds cost, you can bet on the GDP in twenty twenty six in the United States what it's going to be. And you can bet on basketball, as I said, But also you can bet on basketball on a regular FanDuel app. And on Fridays, they're turning it up with NBA Happy Hour. Every Friday from six to seven thirty pm Eastern FanDuel is dropping limited time specials to get you in the zone. Boost bonuses, surprises, all designed to bring that Friday energy. So kickstart your weekend before the first tip when the shot clock runs out at seven thirty, maybe FanDuel should call Happy Hour the starters, Oh, just for us. You know, it kicks off the night just like we used to kick off the night on NBA TV NBA Happy Hour every Friday six to seven thirty Eastern only on FanDuel Official Sportsbook partner of the n B A JD.
Speaker 1: Have you ever made poutine? No?
Speaker 2: I have not, ma what you just had to do?
Speaker 7: Well, it's getting ready for worse.
Speaker 2: The bare switch switch switch switch. That's harder than.
Speaker 1: But you have the answer was you haven't.
Speaker 4: Look, it's very labor intensive. It sounds simple, but you got to fry up the fries, which is going to stink up your whole house. You got to make the gravy, so you need a stock, you need all that. You know, not that that's hard, it's just time consuming.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know. You don't got to make potatoes.
Speaker 1: Really, you gotta make fries. Put them in the.
Speaker 7: Put him in the oven.
Speaker 4: You got to deep fry the fries. Test and in fact, you got to blanch them first. So yes, put them on the island.
Speaker 7: And then you gotta do you want to make them or you don't?
Speaker 4: You want to make your just I'm not putting McCain fries for poutine.
Speaker 2: Sorry, I don't know.
Speaker 3: This guy thinks poutine is like one potato, one curd on top and.
Speaker 1: Here's some water gravy.
Speaker 3: Come on, ain't nobody? Not enough people are making poutine. I think for good reason.
Speaker 1: It's what we're getting.
Speaker 2: It's hard work.
Speaker 1: It's right. Let's get the worst of the week. JA, come on.
Speaker 2: Three worst of the week nominees. The first one is six Ers rookie VJ. Edgecumbe because he doesn't want to go into the slam dunk context. Now, it's not just about him declining this question from the reporter as to if he's going to go in, but how quickly he said no. He shakes his head so fast. If you're on a podcast, you might not listening to this. On podcasts, you might not see Vjedshcumb's face as we play this clip, but he shakes it off so fast. Here's the clip, including the reporter asking the question. If somebody asked you if you wanted to be in the dunk contest, what would you response be? Wow? No, yeah, there was there a particular reason why you wouldn't want to participate.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I'm good.
Speaker 2: That's hilarious. He kisses. He kisses his teeth when he thinks about it, is that quick quick headshake. No, no, no, this guy's a rookie. We've kind of come to accept like a third year player saying a rookie, nah, first two year players are are sort of obliged to kind of do it. But this guy's a rookie, saying no, no, no, no, no, I'm not even thinking about him. He didn't.
Speaker 1: He shook it off so fast the question wasn't even over.
Speaker 2: Exactly that being said. He then posted on Instagram, Yeah, I apparently this is real. It's a VJ dot edge com on Instagram. He's then he puts, yeah, it's where it looks like maybe a ceiling because there's a light fixture sort of. But then he puts the caption in there like actually me and at Tyrese MAXI. He added him might do the dunk contest with the shrug emoji all this week, so he called himself out VJ Max get him in there. Very interesting stuff.
Speaker 1: So we're holding out hope now that we're doing Yeah, I get yeah.
Speaker 2: Maybe he just like you said, Tree, I mean, the guy didn't even end finish his question. He's already shaking it off. So maybe he's just kind of like that. I don't know, in this press sort of routine where like I'm not I don't want to talk to you.
Speaker 1: I think more likely is he said no because he doesn't want to do it, and then Maxi or Embiid or somebody in the sixers like, come on, young kid, come on man, go put on a show.
Speaker 2: I might ask you, Yeah, but why say me? And Maxi?
Speaker 1: Because yeah, really, Maxi's not going in the dunk contest. I don't think so he'll help him out.
Speaker 3: Wasn't it him and Scottie Barnes that were like laughing and hugging each other stars, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Ed would be so good. Oh, I don't know if there's many more like players I think, I mean the shading sharp would be awesome. And there's other guys obviously, but like a rookie because the age is important when it comes to the dun no vets going in it, because now we're seeing that rookies don't even want to go in, which is odd.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean, when was the last great dunk Contest moment twenty sixteen, Zach versus Aaron Gordon.
Speaker 1: I mean, well, that's legendary. P jadge come was eleven years old.
Speaker 3: Like, the dunk contest hasn't been cool for the majority of his life unfortunately, but.
Speaker 2: Those were his formative years. If he if he saw it, if he saw it, I don't know. Maybe it's just not a thing. Was he born in the Bahamas, Maybe it's not a thing there where he was, Okay, I don't know.
Speaker 7: How could it not be a thing that is.
Speaker 2: Already? I mean the Dunknest on a Saturday.
Speaker 1: For a while, it's still awesome, And the biggest thing is go in, put on a show, win the thing, maybe Heaven forbid, and watch your money pile up. You can use the dunk Contest as a catapult, I believe still two brand deals, more publicity, you know whatever, like you can. I believe you still can. But look, they don't want to be embarrassed, or they don't want to they want to take a break whatever, like really I don't know. But it's still sad. But I actually when we get the rapid fire or we're gonna come back to the Dunk Contest, all right, don't.
Speaker 4: This is the reaction of somebody who thinks it's cringe. Right, Yeah, he thinks that the contest itself is cringe. I have I've lived with two teenagers for the last eight years. This is me asking them to do something that they simply don't want to do because they think it's it's stupid, like they don't care about winning it. It doesn't even matter. It's just embarrassing to even be in it. Yeah, right, and that's a problem.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yep, if there if he's shaking his head, but wow, the guy's asking the questions. Yeah, I'm not even thinking about it.
Speaker 1: I don't want And he's asked the question because he threw down an insane dunk in that game that was like one of the plays of the night, one of the plays probably of the you know, twenty twenty six, that huge dunk. So that's why you're being asked about it. You are an incredible dunker. You just threw out an incredible dunk. Would you ever go in the dunk contest? And yeah, it's not a good sign that he's like, oh good, I'm good, I'm good.
Speaker 2: This teething all s good stuff. So he might win Worse of the Week, but we got some other nominees the second and he was also very good. Here the MAVs, Naji Marshall had some tummy troubles because here's the report. Reporter sends out a tweet quote Naji Marshall went to the Dallas Mavericks locker room. All right, simple, simple, Naji Marshall. After the game, he retweeted that tweet and said, quote bathroom break. Y'all know I don't bend or break. We got poop emoji to do. Great win fellas okay, and so somebody wanted some clarification. Somebody asked him what you eat? Goat? Now I don't know if he actually meant what did you eat, goat?
Speaker 3: Or what did you eat?
Speaker 2: You're the goat and probably probably the last because it is Dallas Sports Talk sending that tweet to Nausea Marshall, who said Chipotle crying emoji. So there we are. Naji Marshall ate some Chipotle and had to go to the bathroom.
Speaker 1: So it happens.
Speaker 2: Great stuff, great.
Speaker 1: Feeling better now. He had a massive game last night.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and he's got one of the best floaters in the league, so I'm not surprising he would have to go back.
Speaker 1: Ah, oh, you hit two threes last night? How many two's?
Speaker 2: No? Eight? And tennisis n Thank you to the assists for from Grant af Seth for setting that up from Dallas hoops dream.
Speaker 1: He had an incredible game. He shot ten to twelve, thirty points. He's gonna be in the Woe boy running nine as sis, seven boards and no dumps last night during the game at halftime, well maybe a half time they counted. They added it to Basketball Reference cool gamescore. Who leads the league in dumps this year? Andre Drummond. That's right between him and for me. But it's hard to tell.
Speaker 3: Eating Chapotle before a game. That's a risky move. Obviously happened to Paul Pierce once.
Speaker 2: Jimmy Butler last year. Was that last year Jim Butler the jem Butler Incident? Yeah, yeah, yeah, we made a short about it, a short. Yes, they call Naji Marshall the Knife and Dallas. Yes, yes, it's pretty good.
Speaker 1: I like it. That is a cool nick name, all right.
Speaker 2: Final nominee Here h two players exchanged nut because the one making the headline was Karl Anthony Towns, but it was preceded by Dwight Powell kicking Karl Anthony Towns in the nuts. Dwight Howell playing a little defense going back, his leg goes up directly into the carriage of Karl Anthony Towns. Carlington Towns hits the deck and then Carl Anthony Town's shooting a three and definitely kicking the guy who kicked him on purpose because he throws it out there. It's like three minutes later.
Speaker 3: Looked like he was in rewind, doesn't it, because he's going He's going back.
Speaker 2: So yeah, that's a few minutes later. You could tell car Anthony Towns wants to get Dwight Powell back, and he.
Speaker 1: Did a crossbody kick to get got a flagrant for that.
Speaker 2: Is that right he did? Yeah? Yeah, because it is to his left. He went right leg to his left. Nice kick.
Speaker 1: Draymond's like, whoa taking notes? That interesting?
Speaker 3: That's an interesting way too, good stuff.
Speaker 2: That's a flagrant. That's that's worth the whistle because that was that was.
Speaker 1: You said Powell kicked Cat, which he did, but he also took like looked like he took a knee from Cat too, on the exact same play. Like I think he took a little bit of Cat's and knee to his groin because he goes down hold in his junk and then Cat obviously got sort of kicked on the Dwight Powell flare too.
Speaker 2: And realize he was definitely not not happy. Yeah, it could have been because he got a need of the growing he was defending, So we could have had three kicks to the grond really in that instant.
Speaker 1: Okay, so wow we got some These are good nominees.
Speaker 2: This great batchman, Yeah, grown Batch, PJ Edge, Cump Groins and Nause Marshall eating Chipotle. What do you think he ate a Chipotle? What gave him the the runs?
Speaker 1: Bad sour cream? Maybe the hot sauca pretty spicy.
Speaker 2: Not poutine, they don't Yeah, one of the sauces. I there's not a lot on the no venu.
Speaker 1: The answer is just Chipolo went right through. Yeah, I jumbled up in there. All right, let's hear your uh, your actual pick for worst of the week from those three nominees. Boye of the Night sponsored by disc cup here on YouTube the other day. Wanted to sponsor whatever next segment he could. Thanks, So here you go, here's your woe boy and you got a good one. I'm going with Peyton Watson for whoe Boy of the ball. Yeah. It was a game we didn't talk about, but Peyton Watson scored a career high thirty five points to lead the Nuggets to a win in Washington. Peyton Washington shot ten of sixteen from the field, six of eight from deep, nine to tenant the line. This guy added eight boards, three dimes, four blocks, and two steals in forty minutes of action. What a game from Peyton want This guy is hooping right now.
Speaker 2: He is absolutely hooping. That's a fair question to ask. Let's say Christian Brown and Cam Johnson get back healthy at some point, because they're both they're both still unhealthy, both coming back soon ish. Does Peyton Watson lose his starting role he's been playing so good? Does one of those guys go to the bench? And I would probably pick Christian Brown just because Christian Brown did come back for a few games and just wasn't right. So maybe if he's not right, but I don't know. I say that a'll to say Peyton Watson has been incredible. Yeah, a three handling just looks like another another player like this is a new version of Peyton Watson. It looks great.
Speaker 1: The nine to ten at the line, that is, that's awesome for him to get there. Obviously capitalize on him. So Peyton Watson will boy there you go, discup pick them tonight's task. Where are we going in this very close race in the month of January.
Speaker 2: Well, geographically, we ain't going nowhere, because the Phoenix Suns are coming to visit the Atlanta Hawks. They are a two and a half point favorite coming to atl I'm taking atl because they've lost two straight home games. This is the last game of Phoenix's road trip. Is that good? Is that bad? Good? Teams say, Oh, it's our it's our last game on the road trip. We got to go home strong. Well, the Atlanta Hawks, they did go to Phoenix earlier this season. It was the last game of their road trip and they won that one. But I think they kind of match up well, So I'm taking the Hawks. Shake Gilders, Alexander's got to bounce back, Shay, it's shake Gil just Alexander. Yeah, I left him. I don't know why. I think when not when I think he's got three initials. So when I think Nikhil Alexander Walker, sometimes I say, Shay also wearing the same shoes out there. They're both wearing their Converse shoes. Nika Alexander Walker's got a bounce back. You guys are taking Phoenix.
Speaker 1: Though, Yeah, I believe them to be the better basketball team.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I agree.
Speaker 3: Have you ever seen a license plate in Atlanta that says naw? It could literally be Nikhil Alexander Walker.
Speaker 1: Keep your eyes I will. Dylan Brooks celebrated his birthday yesterday here in Atlanta.
Speaker 2: That's why I took a little bit of hot fun. Maybe probably they're out partying.
Speaker 1: Maybe we'll see. All right, So Tass has the Hawks got some points to play with as a home dog. Trey and I have Phoenix to win by three or more. Trey's nine and six, I'm eight and seven. Tast is seven and eight, so very very close here in our pick them battle. Okay, let's go to some rapid fire fun task. You got the questions this week?
Speaker 2: Here we go. Vince Carter and Traysay McGrady are starting a new podcast called Cousins. What other relatives should start a podcast together? And what should it be called? Skes?
Speaker 1: Give me Julian and Justin CHAMPENNI all right, the twin brothers from Staten Island, I think it's where they're from. They play for the Spurs and the Wizards, respectively. They should have a podcast called two Cents Sham penny two pennies, two pennies, two cents. That's not bad at all.
Speaker 2: Pretty good.
Speaker 1: Thanks. I'm proud of that one.
Speaker 2: I think it's better than Cousins.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I don't love Cousins as a podcast. Three straightforward it is bad.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Tray.
Speaker 1: How about Skip Bayless and Rick Bayless do it podcast? Okay? They're brothers.
Speaker 3: Wow, that's a good point. It would be called say less. I want to hear less from Skip and more from Rick. Tell me about your tortillas, tell me about your salsas. Tell me what's going wrong with Nauji Marshall's Chipotle order?
Speaker 1: Yeah? For those that don't know, of course.
Speaker 3: I have many delicious Mexican inspired restaurants, primarily in Chicago.
Speaker 1: He loves wawk and cheese.
Speaker 2: And so do I.
Speaker 1: The brothers really weird.
Speaker 2: You could put that cheese on your poutine? Man, Wow, I don't know.
Speaker 7: He could.
Speaker 2: It's melty though, I guess right.
Speaker 1: Tara Grill's poutine from Rick Bayless sounds good?
Speaker 2: All right, JD, what's your podcast called?
Speaker 4: I would like the Cohen Brothers to start a podcast. I'm still working on the name. This podcast really ties the room together. Number One choice okay, you know, but they're older guys. So no podcast for young men or a podcast for old men. Hey, one or the other anyway, they all work. Yeah, no podcast for young men.
Speaker 7: Yeah, no podcast for young man. Oh I got just a couple of old guys talking about movies.
Speaker 2: Right, all right? Second one, Tyres Max is getting his first signature shoe. Seems a little late, New Balance. He's been great for a while and it's coming later in twenty twenty six. That's too late. What's an endorsement that's taking too long to happen?
Speaker 1: Skeets Well, I said I was going to go back to the dunk contests. What's taken so long for somebody? I've said Drake before. I don't know. It could be some saudy prints for all I care to put up a bunch of money to the dunk contest winner.
Speaker 2: Let's go.
Speaker 1: Oh whatever, somebody do it, save it, it will save it. I convinced if somebody put up a million or whatever that we'd get some bigger names. So maybe young stars that want to make a million bucks. I can't believe it hasn't happened. I really thought Drake was gonna do it. At one point, but I feel like that maybe that ship is sailed at this point. Maybe we need to rely on mister beasts. Yeah maybe yeah. Us So, somebody putting up a million dollars plus to the Dunk Contest winner makes sense.
Speaker 2: I mean, Drake has his gambling app right, yeah, whatever it is FanDuel or DraftKings or somebody say hey, I don't know, let's go hand in hand here and offer somebody a million dollars. It makes sense.
Speaker 1: I mean maybe a problem is the Dunk Contest is sponsored by one of these companies, Like everything is sponsored here. I don't know who's doing it this year, but like maybe there's a conflict of interest there, like whoever's doing it? Yes, like AT and T let's say whatever, Verizon or who and they're like, oh no, no, no, we don't want another company then coming over top. But they should anyway, okay, and the NBA should allow it.
Speaker 3: It was the AT and T Slam Dunk yeah recently, which always pissed me off because that worked so much better when it was the AT and.
Speaker 1: T three point shoot out call them long distance, right yeah? And then obviously, well what happened Sprite got involved? Story sorry, story Storry range. Should they should flip them? Should be the story Slam Dunk and the A, T, T AT and T three point contest calling long distance.
Speaker 2: Oh, spray, kids don't like Storry in comparison to spray. I got kids. They we sent I sent a photo of myself with the Lime and Lemon mascot. Okay, oh yeah yeah, and they always remember that photo and they and then we go we're in a soda fridge and they see, No, that's not spray. I ain't having that. You know, they got sprayed on the brain. Well, Lime and Lemon, hold on with those guys, Storry, Lime and level. Yeah, yeah, that sprites better.
Speaker 1: It's crazy. I've never seen somebody drink a story in real life.
Speaker 7: I drink one every day.
Speaker 1: Here, do you like it?
Speaker 7: Fucking love story.
Speaker 1: I've never seen drink one ever.
Speaker 7: Okay, look in that fridge right.
Speaker 1: Now, all right, you go check the fridge while I talk. Check the first answer. How yeah, there's a fun box of starry here exactly.
Speaker 2: Zero sugar ones, holy sugar, yeah yeah, zero sugar.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah. But I'm never seeing you drink one.
Speaker 7: That's because I always put it.
Speaker 1: In my little, uh my little mug.
Speaker 7: My mug, my tumbler.
Speaker 1: Yeah, who can forget Salt Lake City All Star. He's just sitting outside our doors. Yeah, change my life, change my life, literally worked on.
Speaker 8: All you have to do is drink twelve of them over an All Star weekend when you were you're a story guy, Maybe I just haven't had enough. It's like all ys where you got to eat? However many of them before?
Speaker 1: You like.
Speaker 3: Stories the.
Speaker 2: Trey. What's an endorsement that's taking too long to happen?
Speaker 1: How recently did you say this, Naji Marshall.
Speaker 2: Thing happened is this week?
Speaker 1: Is this week?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: What's up with dude wipes? They're usually all over.
Speaker 3: Anything, poop later, anything that happens. They're like, we'll sponsor that, will somehow give you money. They sponsored the Cleveland Browns just because of their names. Yeah, so they got to get in touch with each other. I'm sure Nade would say, yes, yeah, wipe.
Speaker 1: It up, dude wipes.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 3: I mean Mark Cuban invested. I know he's no longer like the technical owner of the Dallas Mavericks.
Speaker 1: But there's got to be a relationship there.
Speaker 3: He can easily put my guy Megan in touch with Naji Marshall send him a package of wipes.
Speaker 2: No doubt. Yes, what's the endorsement you're looking at?
Speaker 7: I'm waiting for my story, yep.
Speaker 2: Yeah, at this point it's taking too long.
Speaker 1: But yeah, me.
Speaker 7: How many times have I drank a Guinness on this show?
Speaker 1: Many times?
Speaker 4: At least twenty five times? Guys, where's my Guinness endorsement deal?
Speaker 1: We should have like a keg here and stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, Like it's just a tap, yeah, Guinness, is that what you're going to request? Though? Not a caned?
Speaker 4: No, no, no, I want to tap. The cans are fine, but you know you want to draft Guinness, you know. Anyway, that's it.
Speaker 7: It's just a complaint. Not really.
Speaker 1: Makes sense.
Speaker 2: So all right, This last one's a weird one. This is an Instagram post. Okay, I'll read it quote word for word. Some girl turned thirty six today. She posted my Marcus Smart year. Smh. I don't think it worked like that. Can't just name any player, man, it's going to be a terrible year for her if it's her Marcus Smart year and ig post. All right, that's that's what it was. That's what it was. Some guy, I believe he's a man calling out a girl for saying, this is going to be my Marcus smart year. So what do you think? Will she have a terrible year like this person?
Speaker 3: Yes, it will be as bad and as uninspired and weird as this question.
Speaker 1: Because I love the concept of this rapid fire question. But yeah, she will have a terrible year.
Speaker 2: Why do you say that.
Speaker 1: Just because I need to say yes or no?
Speaker 2: Fair answer? Trade? Do you have another another answer?
Speaker 3: I think she's gonna have a better year than the last two years. Okay, just like Marcus Martin.
Speaker 2: Good one. Okay, okah, you know year.
Speaker 4: I think she's gonna have a fine year. Here's the thing, though, is this is as good as it's gonna get for her.
Speaker 7: She's thirty six.
Speaker 1: No, you didn't find story until you were in your forties.
Speaker 7: That's true. But it didn't make my year. So you know, I don't know.
Speaker 4: As an older guy, I'm just like looking back. Look, you're as hot as you're gonna be, right now, that's just as good as it gets.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 4: Today today you look the best you're gonna ever. Look, this is for everybody across the.
Speaker 1: Board that's not that's not true.
Speaker 2: And I'll tell you.
Speaker 1: Why did you see this guy? I'm pointing at Taos. We've been sharing a lot of like, uh, we've been sharing a lot of like older clips because we're celebrating twenty years so there's a lot of older clips of tasks from twenty or ten or fifteen years ago. I'm sorry, Tesmelos looks way hotter than you did fifteen years ago.
Speaker 7: Jd are you guys before thirty six?
Speaker 2: Though?
Speaker 7: Look at thirty six?
Speaker 1: Look at thirty six? Thirty six?
Speaker 2: How old you're forty five? Forty four, forty four?
Speaker 1: Okay, so we got to go eight years ago, exact years ago.
Speaker 2: I'm David. I'm David Lee Age again.
Speaker 1: The man is it?
Speaker 2: He's a great looking guy. Why are you going gender specific with this Instagram poster?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 2: Because it sounds like okay, can we also no why she calls it the Marcus Smart Marcus Smart does wear the number thirty? Yeah, yeah, well this it feels like this guy doesn't take that into account at all because he he just says, you can't.
Speaker 1: Say and you can't just pick random. Yeah that's where yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but like I mean, there's not a lot of great thirty sixes. It's like Rashid Wallace is probably the best NBA thirty six, Shaquar thirty six ones. Yeah, Shack Celtics thirty six. I'll take a mark I'm smart over a Shack thirty six. What's your ear?
Speaker 2: Your said forty four? Forty four?
Speaker 1: Hank Aaron here, that's a good.
Speaker 3: One, Hank Aaron drume bettis drum bettis, Yeah, the great running back.
Speaker 1: What's your ear? I'm forty Well, how old am I forty five? Right now? I forty five?
Speaker 3: You're in your Jordan return yere Donovan Mitchell year.
Speaker 2: That's a good one, yeah, Donald Mitchell. Yeah, Spider, I said, David Lee is in my former teammate David Lee, not the that David Lee. But anyway, just because he was a forty four, Okay, I always remember David Lee, you know. Yeah, a lot of.
Speaker 1: Guys in NBA history to wear number thirty six. That's not it's a weird basketball. I mean, we said Shack wore with the Celtics.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: Dave Cowen's I guess is he worked with the box one year Paul Silas were with the Sonics. Rashid, you said that's one of the best players here. Uh, come on, Looney worked for the Warriors. But yeah, Royal Ivey tough year, Omri Casspy. Then do some names here, Mike Price, not Mark Price, Mike Price. I didn't know that was I didn't know who was the guy either.
Speaker 2: What's your your Jada podcast?
Speaker 7: Fifty five?
Speaker 3: Oh that's a cool number, Lance Briggs, you ask me fifty five? J D Jason Williams talk about a good one. Sure, lots of guys in the NBA of born fifty five.
Speaker 4: Ye take that what I say, because I'm better looking now than I was last year and the every year before that.
Speaker 7: So you know what, Yeah for this Marcus Smart, it's only better for yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, with the way people are aging these days, exactly. Yeah, I agree, I agree. All right. So that's the end of a great effort by everybody to answer an odd question to end rapid fire. Good great effort.
Speaker 1: Try and see if there's ever been Oh yeah, I'm an idiot. I was trying to see if there's ever been a Hall of Famer to wear number fifty five. I forgot one, Ken be Mtumbo, great one, yeah, great, the late great to KEM M.
Speaker 2: Tumble.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's rapid fire and that's a rapid but man, it was fire. A couple founding members show U no, okay, but.
Speaker 7: I don't have them.
Speaker 1: Next week? We do next week, let's push them the next Well what happened? Just like I forgot to look at the to the bottom.
Speaker 7: Of the dock.
Speaker 4: It was literally on the next page, and I was like, you know, rapid fire. It's like, oh, okay, yeah.
Speaker 1: It's because we didn't do it last week with Lely here.
Speaker 7: Yeah, so that's my bad. That's there are founding members.
Speaker 3: There's only two rights when I caught up. Yeah, but we're never going to get to these two names at the pace.
Speaker 4: We're going no, no, no, no, We're getting to the next week regardless, regardless.
Speaker 1: Hang tight, uh does that mean no no Buffs Traders promo?
Speaker 7: That is what that means?
Speaker 1: You really just stopped reading?
Speaker 5: Okay, over here, that's enough, come on f block Alex crazy. Well, if you are a fan of Traders, yeah, and No Buffs in particular. We do have a podcast today, or usually have been doing it on the weekends with Traders because they dropped so many episodes on Thursday night, but we're down to one episode of night.
Speaker 1: So it's a lot more manageable, and Trey Kurmey joins us in the turret today. Yeah, I can't wait to say me air game. So we're gonna hear all of tk's thoughts on not only last night's episode, episode six, but first five episodes of the season, and Nora will be here and obviously JD and myself, so uh yeah, join us at one pm Eastern over on the No Buffs YouTube account, or obviously subscribe to No Bus on Apple or Spotify. However you listen to the podcast just one to break down, but got a little spicy because the traders may have started to turn on each other. That's always a fun element of this game. So anyway, one o'clock today. Otherwise we'll see you here in No Dunk's Land on Monday at ten am Eastern. Hopefully we'll be here. Some crazy weather hit in the state, especially southern US this weekend, expecting like an ice storm here, so everybody stay safe and stay off the roads if we do hit this ice and maybe we'll have to do it from the yard if we can't drive on Monday, but who knows, who knows, we'll play it by ear. Yeah, not a meteorologist. I don't know, No one knows. I'm not Ella Dorsey. Is that our name?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I'm pretty sure.
Speaker 3: I took a stab at it was like dorsy is it Ella? She's a meteorologist here at Land. Anyway, we'll see you guys either later today on no bus or on Monday here no dunks.
Speaker 1: Tell Clipper bros. You heard it here first. Have a great time, turn up. Love you guys awesome.
Speaker 2: Thanks for joining us, and remember we will see you Monday. No matter what Ela Dorsey says, we will see you in some way, shape or form on Monday.
Speaker 1: What if the power goes out? What if we lose power? These branches they take down power lines?
Speaker 2: Were without charge your phones and charge your power supplies, your your your battery, power block I got.
Speaker 1: I got a real problem with that though my phone I can't charge like with a cable. I have to put it on a thing. Yeah, I need a new phone, is what I'm getting at. It won't charge with the cable. Yeah, so you guys have to do the show. Hopefully, hopefully we get a show. The ice worried about branches, I'm totally.
Speaker 2: Let's still charge it to say hundred p before we start.
Speaker 3: Well, but not if the power goes out on Saturday. By the time Monday. You don't want me to look at my phone.
Speaker 2: Oh no, that's the best part about losing.
Speaker 1: Power to read a book by candlelight.
Speaker 3: Candlelight, Laura, let's just she said, bragging how many taper candles she has.
Speaker 1: It's don't worry, Yeah, you don't worry. You read. It's like one good thing. I got four books from the library.
Speaker 3: Nice.
Speaker 1: Good.
Speaker 3: We don't actually have that combative a relationship and we're just talking about, yeah, I will read.
Speaker 1: Okay, do you think we're gonna get any exploding trees? I hope not. Sounds bad but looks cool. Bad for nature, cool for brace the weekend people.