Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys Let's go.
Speaker 3: Are you ready for a break?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 2: Are you ready for a break?
Speaker 5: Absolutely?
Speaker 3: Ready for a break?
Speaker 2: Yeah? And so much for that.
Speaker 6: It's time for the Break on Dallas Cowboys dot Com.
Speaker 2: Were with Mbar Garcia.
Speaker 6: Brian brought us Patrick Walker and Derek Eagleton.
Speaker 7: Good morning, guys, welcome back to another episode of The Break Here a s WBC podcast studio. I always want to add, it's not it's WBC podcast studio. Derek is out today, but we're here with Patrick and Brian, and we found out some pretty sad news this morning. Gil Brandt passed away at ninety one years old.
Speaker 3: I had a nice run.
Speaker 8: He did. He did.
Speaker 7: He was a guy that was very, very well respected by many. And when I started this job back in the day now i'm talking like an old person. I remember seeing him a lot, and I was I would always wonder who is this guy? Like, who is he? Why is he everywhere? Why does everyone talk to Yeah? And as I kept being around, the more and more I learned about him, and I was so impressed with just his history and everything that he contributed to not only the Cowboys but the NFL. So I wanted to ask you, Brian, because you knew him personally very well, and just wanted to see if you could share some good memories of him.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 3: No, it's a it's a very sad day in the scouting world with the passing of Gil Brandt. And you look at the history of the Dallas Cowboys, and you can't write that history without Gil Brandt. You know him. You know Tex Shram As a general manager, Text was more involved with the business aspect, trying to do league manners, thinking about pushing the Cowboys in front of eyeballs, and Text was tremendous of that. But Gil was really, along with Tom Lanry, the nuts and bolts of the of the player evaluation. Gil had done a lot of things that pushed scouting to really.
Speaker 2: What it is today.
Speaker 3: The creations of the combine where we all go to Indianapolis every year and and and take part of that, and and Gil was a big h you know, a big contributor to that. A lot of the scouting terms that we have today, a lot of the scouting drills that we have today, the evaluations, the ability to go into schools, visit with this with the coaches and players and stuff at the other universities and stuff. And Gil Gil was just a fascinating man because he did things he It was funny that you think like maybe some common sense things and stuff, but Gil, no, he just took it to a whole other level. One of my favorite stories was when he won time timed a player in the forty yard dash in an airport terminal. He marked off forty yards in a terminal and got the kid, and the kid took off running and Gil was standing at the end of the of the terminal with the clock, got the time, wrote it down, and got on his plane and went to the next school. So Gil was always doing things. The innovation, you know, it was just like the Cowboys at that time. You know, in twenty consecutive winning seasons, you know, something that probably will not be matched. But just a tremendous man, a tremendous resource of information, stories, you know, anything that you want to know about scouting or the history of scouting. Gil Brandt was your guy because he was a big, big part of that.
Speaker 9: And when you talk about respect a bar and Brian, it's key that everyone understands that there are levels to respect, and when it comes to Gil Brandt, his respect transcended generations. I mean there are generations of football fans that continue to come along and not only benefit from what he contributed to the Cowboys and to the sport itself from a scouting aspect and everything of that nature, but also if you look at him as a human being, you would be hard pressed and good luck finding anyone with a bad thing to say about Gil Brandt. He was just aist, the sweetest thing, a magnificent person, and despite all of his achievements and accomplishments, all of his football knowledge which is just incomparable, he was always willing to have a conversation with you, how are you doing today? And he was genuinely concerned with people around him, and he was a people person on top of everything else that he did so magnificently in life. So the loss of Gil Brandt, it hits on several levels. Obviously, it's a tragic loss for the football world, tragic loss for the Cowboys organization, tragic loss for his family, but also the world as a whole just lost a big heart and a great human being.
Speaker 3: Risk will to get real tight in there and that it well said Patrick. Weill said, I'll tell you one of the great honors I've ever had was when Gil was inducted in the Hall of Fame. I was invited to be part of his group to get to go to see him get inducted into the Hall of Fame. And that was just such a huge honor for me to to like for him to come out and say I'd like for you to show up, and I'm like, my gosh, but you know, and here's like I say, here's Patrick, Patrick gave you a great scouting report if you want to say Gil Brandt and uh, you know, but yeah, it's it is a sad day, but Gil he touched so many lives in such a positive way and again professionally and then you know, it's it is a tough day. But like I say, there's a lot of people out there the scouting community benefited from having Gil Brandt as part of it or being as he's known as the godfather of it. And so at ninety one, like I said, a heck of a run for a man. And you know, and again rest in peace.
Speaker 7: Yes, And this is always hard to talk about on the show. And talk about someone passing away. But what makes me happy is being present and being able to witness when he was inducted to the fame, when he made it to the Ring of Honor, and him being present in the moment, being able to still enjoy it because we see it all the time. It happens with people that they get inducted so late into their lives.
Speaker 8: That they're not not able to enjoy mentally.
Speaker 7: Yeah, exactly, exactly so, And those cases are very, very sad. But at least with Gil, he was able to enjoy those moments and be there and with a smile on his face.
Speaker 2: So always with a smile.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 9: I went back and looked at his Twitter timeline just out of curiosity, and one of his last, one of his final two tweets dad jokes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Oh that's Gil.
Speaker 9: So at ninety one, he's tweeting. He's this shows you how forward thinking he was. This is ninety one year old on social media. But he's having fun tweeting dad jokes. So just heartbreaking, but Wilson ambar you in these times, it also helps to remember and live through the positive memories, all the smiles that he gave me.
Speaker 3: This is this is a this is the time you celebrate a guy. Yeah, you know it might be sad, but this this guy.
Speaker 7: Just before we started the show, you were showing some stories and Chris was in here.
Speaker 3: There's a lot of Gilts just.
Speaker 8: Make you laugh.
Speaker 3: There's a lot of them. You're face, there's a lot of them. There's some you probably can't tell, but they were you know, they were fun. Gil was he was fun.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's it's fair to say that.
Speaker 9: This Cowboys organization as it looks right now is not what it is without a guy like Gil Brats one third of that trial for it with Shram and guy, these are the founding fathers, not only of this organization but a football Yeah, pioneers, founding father's, innovators of visionaries.
Speaker 2: I mean, they are all of those things.
Speaker 9: And you know, shrim and Landry they can now welcome in no question.
Speaker 3: Yeah. My final thing on this, you know, the think Jerry Jones bought this team in nineteen eighty nine, and there's a lot of Cowboy fans that kind of think that's kind of where the Cowboys started. No, they were a really good team from nineteen sixty to nineteen eighty nine. I mean they were a really good team. You look at divisional titles, championship games, super Bowls, things like that. I mean it this, this franchise has a great history because of guys like Tom Landry, Gil Brandt, tech Shram, those kind of guys.
Speaker 7: Absolutely, all right, Chris, Well, can we go ahead and take an early break. When we come back, we'll transition into all the moves that happened.
Speaker 9: Gil wants to talk about the foot He would roster building was good for him.
Speaker 8: Yeah, roster.
Speaker 10: After this break, Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the Cheatah Savina. Todd believe the big cat repellent he bought online was reliable, and now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has AT and T five G. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew At and T five G. Fast, reliable, secure, It's not complicated.
Speaker 11: Five G requires compatible plan and device five G may not be available in your area. See att dot com Slash five G for you for details Cowboys fans. After that move, We've just coined the term rowdy replay. Let's roll back the table.
Speaker 9: Okay, there's our mascot Rowdy cheering on the boys, and now he's on his phone on his Bank of America Mobile Banking app.
Speaker 1: Staying on top of his finances with his virtual financial Assistant Erica.
Speaker 9: Bank of America's digital tools are so impressive. Cowboys fans just can't stop banking. Learn more at Bank of America dot com. Slash Can't Stop Banking.
Speaker 1: Erika is only available in the English language. You ust download the latest version of the mobile banking app, only available on select mobile devices. Message in dat atesy, apply a number FDIC.
Speaker 5: Welcome back into Dear Doctor, the show where I answer life's questions with an ice co old can of doctor pepper. Sheila, let's hear from my next caller.
Speaker 8: Would you, Dear Doctor?
Speaker 10: My friend supported me during a tough time.
Speaker 6: But what's the right gift that says thanks for being a soldier to cry on?
Speaker 5: Okay, this one's easy, I say, give her a delicious doctor pepper. Nothing says thanks good better than one of a kind soda. Yes, any doctor Pepper flavor will do now, just a reminder that I don't need to be a real doctor to know that Doctor Pepper is the one you deserve.
Speaker 6: They say champions are remembered, but legends are never forgotten. United Agon Turf offers a winning lineup of John Deere equipment built to tackle any challenge on and off the field. Legendary John Deere tractors combines residential mowers, commercial mowers, compact construction equipment, cater utility vehicles, and a full line of golf and sports turf equipment. United Agon Turf the official agonturf equipment supplier of the Dallas Cowboys. Visit United Agonturf dot com to find a location near you.
Speaker 2: Back to the break.
Speaker 3: Yes, the twenty twenty three Dallas Cowboys season at at and T Stadium is right around the corner and limited single game tickets are available now. Don't miss your chance to see your Cowboys live at at and T Stadium when they host the NFC East Rivals, Eagles, Giants, Commanders, plus the Jets, Patriots, Rams, Seahawks, and Lions. Visit Dallas Cowboys dot com slash tickets or seat geek dot com, the official ticketing provider of AT and T Stadium.
Speaker 7: Thank you, Brian, Welcome back. This is the second segment off The Break presented by blockchain dot Com.
Speaker 8: There we go, There we go.
Speaker 7: Okay, so before we get into roster cuts, I did want to talk about the trade that the Cowboys made with the Dolphins. Uh trade at a cornerback for another cornerback and let's see Noah Binogany did I nail that?
Speaker 2: How far it go?
Speaker 3: First?
Speaker 11: Go?
Speaker 3: There we go with a yeah, iggy for you that don't really want to try and go with that last name, but you did a great job.
Speaker 9: You could go with Noah if you want, because you know, Noah Brown is in Houston now, so yeah, go with Noah.
Speaker 2: He has only one Noah on.
Speaker 3: The road that let's stick with. That's what I did during the draft.
Speaker 8: Yeah, all right, well let's talk about him.
Speaker 7: Tell me what you think of this guy and why the Cowboys made this trade. We were talking about Kelvin Joseph as one of those kind of bubble guys that you don't really know what they were planning on doing with him. Possibly he could make the practice squad for them, but then they end up training him for a guy that what I've seen or heard so far, seems pretty similar to a Kelvin Joseph.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I'm interested to hear Brian's thoughts on Iggy. If we're going to go with it.
Speaker 3: Now, you could go with the last name. You guys are better than me.
Speaker 9: I would say, as far as the trade is concerned. I mean, we sat here and we talked about how difficult the roster cuts were going to be. Uh, And when it came to cornerback room the previous episode, I had Jordan Lewis escaping the pup list and being activated, but then I also had Eric Scott on my roster and I couldn't figure out from there where Kelvin Joseph would fit in the cornerback room, so I had him off of my roster. I think that ultimately is where the Cowboys were headed. But they were able. Kudos to them. They were able to instead of waving him, they were able to get at least a player out of it. So it's a fresh start for Igbinoghany here in Dallas spoke with him in the locker room not an hour ago. Very intelligent, very insightful young man, and he said himself that he feels the struggles he had in Miami were needed to form him into the player and man that he hopes to be. He said, over the last week he had actually been praying for some type of change, not knowing what that change would be, and he was on his way to Dolphin's practice and his agent called and said, turn around, go home and pack you going to Dallas. So he's very excited. He said, quote unquote, I need it. I need this. I needed this fresh start. So looking forward to seeing that, and the same implies for Kelvin. Joseph didn't really have a path here for in the Cowboys organization. That that boat has sailed. That ship has sailed, and we'll see what he can do down with down there with the Dolphins. But as it stands, it seems like a clean swap. Although I will say that wild Kelvin has speed. Igbinoghany is literally a former trek guy, so there's.
Speaker 3: That scouting report.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And I was talking to some of my guys around the league about him, because a lot of these guys watch tape full time, and I'm I'm a radio guy. Right now, it seems like but here I go. I asked one of my guys about Iggy and they said, I asked what kind of player? I said, this is a functional player. He's an athlete. The instinct sometimes hold this guy back a little bit. He says, good, dude, wired right, more of a fourth or fifth corner, but he can play on special teams. And so I think that we were talking about a clean trade and there were things about Kelvin Joseph that were actually improving. Now you will say some things about his awareness, you know, lining them up, lining up off sides, maybe some fair catch interference type stuff that he was dealing with, but I felt like that he was going in the right direction. They put Bland on the outside, they put him in the slot, and they tried to get him to work that way, and there were some positive things. So but you know, you know, sometimes in this business you say, well, hey, you know what you feel about player this way. Maybe not everybody feels the same way. So you move on and to go and make a switch for another corner, I feel like is the right thing to do. I will say this though, coming out of Auburn, and you know, Patrick mentioned a track athlete can really really run. And the thing about Emo is though the things that I kind of will worry about him was the when you look at his the ability to sometimes play the ball down the field, and that was something that you know that when you watched him in college. Now here is he's played in the NFL for a few years. We'll see if that can switch. But I know in college there was some time where man really good athlete, could really run, sticky kind of a guy. But was he going to always play the ball well in the air. We'll see if he can. That's kind of change for him. But the positivities though, from my guys, that seemed like about that fourth or fifth corner and that's kind of what Dallas is looking at right there.
Speaker 9: Very willing Tyckler. Yeah, so he's really going to take on to special teams. Bones is going to love him on the special teams front.
Speaker 3: Well, and you know Kelvin Joseph, to his credit, he got better on spec The reason why you would even think about keeping him around was because of the special team stuff.
Speaker 8: So it was improving, was improving, yeah.
Speaker 3: But not to maybe not to the liking. And but this is you know, I hate to hate to bring up something a negative aspect of this though, but you know, if you look at you know, Dan Quinn. As much credit as we give dan Quinn for the player evaluations and stuff, Dan really stuck his neck out for this guy. Him and Bohannah. He was at the workouts there in Lexington. Those are two players that are no longer on the team. It happens, you know, coaches come in. I mean, but you know, you know, hopefully you can rally from this by you know, trading one off for the other and not losing on the value of the pick.
Speaker 7: And hopefully this new fresh star just helps both of them. Him Calvin Joseph over there and he hopefully he stays out of trouble and all that. And then Noah over here bringing a new fresh star to him and his career. Now we on the last show, we were trying to guess and cut the roster. But now we have all the answers. Now we have the answers of the things that happened. So I wanted to ask you guys, biggest surprise for the cuts that the Cowboys made on Tuesdays on Tuesday and some of the movements that's not get into the practice squad just yet, but just cut wise out of the fifty three men roster, Brian, who was your biggest shock or surprise?
Speaker 3: I really thought that they were going to keep Sean McEwan. I thought they were going to roll with four tight ends, and it just showed you that maybe that Hunter Lipkey changed their minds their net last preseason game that you know, I kind of felt like, Okay, do they keep the four tight end? Do they keep Hunter Lipkey? Or they are they connected that way? They ended up keeping him, so yeah, I mean, and another one in Patrick, I hope I don't steal yours here. But my other one, just on the defensive side of the ball was Jabril Cox. I kind of felt like, though, with the linebacker situation being the way it was, that maybe they would try and keep him for another you know, another campaign, see if they could, you know, could get some more out of him that way. But those were the two guys that I kind of felt like to me that had possibilities of being being on the roster on the fifty three.
Speaker 9: And you hit the nail on the head as far as you did steal Jabrill from me. But I love you anyway, Yeah, appreciate it. I knew better than to mention that I shouldn't have done that.
Speaker 3: Great, guys, there you go.
Speaker 9: For me, My biggest surprise is Jabrill Cox, just for every reason Brian said and more. You lose to Marveian Overshown the two season ending injury, and yes you're going to utilize Marquise Bell from the safety aspect. That's far as helping with the linebacker corps. But Malik Jefferson, we're not going to talk about the practice squad, but he's on the practice squad, so you got some insurance step there. But as far as active roster, I had Devin Harper on my roster, but I had four linebackers and Jabrill Cox was one of those four because not only was he at least improving, but he's a veteran kind of a stable force there as opposed to not having that. So waving Jabril Cox and their hope was that he clear and he could be back on the practice squad. You know, didn't happen because he's going to the Washington Commanders, so he's there now. But so linebacker is disturbingly thin for me. Behind him one Clark and Layton Vanderish like what Harper brings. But I'd like to see another body on the active roster there. Maybe they're shopping for one. We'll see how that goes. Less surprising, but surprising. Nonetheless, it is that they did risk Isaiah Land to waivers. I want ladies and gentlemen to understand there are levels to being upset. So this is not an end of the world situation like, oh my god, this he's following. We let Isaiah Land go. Know, kudos to Isaiah Land for what he did in camp. I hope he goes up to Indianapolis and plays well. But that was at a position of the least amount of need for the Cowboys on the defensive line. So I would have kept him. But you're not going to necessarily miss him now that he's gone. But as far as linebackers it, I mean, that really is a red circle for me with Jabrell Cox one, yeah.
Speaker 8: I guess.
Speaker 7: I mean, we know roster moves can happen at any point of the day, week year, but what are your expectations when we can kind of put a boat and finalize like, Okay, this is really what they're starting.
Speaker 8: Twenty twenty three.
Speaker 3: Was Monday on Monday, Monday, Yeah, I think Monday.
Speaker 2: I was going to say Saturday, but I'd say Monday.
Speaker 9: I mean, yeah, over the weekend, over the weekend, because you got to go into practice preparing for the Giants with a full week of a set roster as set as it's going to be.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they we talked about the what they potentially could happen at center. You know that, you know, we were with the backup center and stuff like that, so you know, we understand there's going to be some some movement there on the practice squad. You know, you're allowed to elevate two guys a game, and so they're going to take full advantage of that. But I would say that by the time we get to Monday morning, when they step out on this practice field, that's when you'll know that's that's your team now your team going into Week one. I still think there's some moving pieces going on here. I know they didn't claim anybody, but that you know, there's still waivers going on. There's still somebody could put somebody out there that they like. You know, now you're now you're trying to figure out on your roster who player fifty one, fifty two and fifty three are. You know that's you know, there's some guys that are kind of breathing a little bit of a sigh of relief out there. But if you feel like your player fifty one, fifty two or fifty three, you you shouldn't be breathing that sigh release relief because they very well could say, Okay, we're switching this guy out for this guy.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: So there there there are some guys that kind of took a deep breath, But in all actuality, you shouldn't take a deep breath. You get to that practice field either Saturday or Monday, like I would say.
Speaker 9: And that applies to the guys on the practice squad as well in the aspect of because if your player of fifty one, fifty two or fifty three and there's another player they want to bring in and you're the one that they sit down and have the conversation with, if it's a gentleman agreement that says hey, if it's a vested veteran in their release and say hey, we'll add you to the practice squad. If you just don't sign with anyone over the next twenty four hours, well guess what, they already have sixteen practice squad spots field, which means one of those practice squad guys would then be pushed off. So to Brian's point, practice squad guys need to make sure that they, you know, stay focused as well.
Speaker 7: Well, let's go ahead and talk about them, but real quick, before that, Patrick, you were right about Josh ball.
Speaker 2: Science there, you were right.
Speaker 7: They did put him on I ARE. But then later they made the move right in my way and they put those two on I ARE. But the difference is they are eligible to return after four weeks, right after four games, four games they can return. Now, moving on to the practice squad guys, are you guys pleased with this list of guys that they currently build up right now?
Speaker 9: Well, they kind of scared me with sending all of their backup centers to the street, but they doubled back and added several offensive linemen Earl Bostic, brock Hoffman, Alex Taylor. But then they went and got a guy like Sean Harlowe formerly of the Giants, So you know, I'm sure there's some intel that he can bring to the Week one matchup as well, much like Dennis Houston will probably take it to the Giants now that Dennis Houston is up there, But I mean offensive line the depth right now looks good. It's still interested to see how they handle that. As far as the active roster's concerned. Who gets elevated for week one versus Week two. You got Malik Davis there, which is who I was hoping was the running back that they brought in brought back for practice squad. That Jalen Cropper great camp. I think he just nearly missed making the cut because of a guy like Jalen Brooks and Hunter Lipkey made it difficult in the conversation. But yeah, Tyron Johnson, I mean Malik Jefferson Goodwin. That was a huge, huge one. I knew that was procedural, but I'm glad to be correct on that one because he is your special team's ace. But all in all, I like the practice squad and I don't see other than offensive line that they need to dip into that elevation wise week one. At other positions, I think they're pretty set except for the depth on the oil.
Speaker 7: Well for the guy that they did bring in from the outside. Brian, what do we know about Sean Harlowe.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Harlow is I was asking my guys about him as well, and they basically talking about he is just a backup guy, but he's a multi positional player.
Speaker 2: Nice.
Speaker 3: So that's the thing about it. They need, yeah, which they absolutely need. So the fact that he could play all the positions they were, that's the biggest comment or the biggest compliment that I could get. I'm interested, always interested when they go out and me personally, if I was still in personnel, I understand, like when you put together your practice squad, there's players you let go and there's some you want back. I'm always I'm always would be that guy that would say, let's go get somebody else's guys and see, we know, we know, if there's sixteen names, can we go get three or four guys that were on somebody else's team during the summer. You know, sometimes we fall into that, well, it's our guy and we like him, and we like our guys, and we you know, we never, you know, we never want to do anything to not like our guys. But the fact that the Cowboys went out and and got guys, a couple of guys from other teams, and maybe it was out of necessity a little bit, but I think that you just kind of you get locked into your guys instead of trying to say, Okay, let's go and look at let's go get a guy from here. Let's go get a tackle or a defensive end or a linebacker.
Speaker 7: See going back to the whole scouting conversation. Yeah, yes, that's the part I hate about scouting, though, I'm going.
Speaker 8: To the opposite way.
Speaker 7: Sorry, Yeah, but it's just so hard because again, you talk about so many players. Of course they they have a whole staff that's dedicated to watch.
Speaker 8: That's your job and do that as a job.
Speaker 7: But when you talk about you have a full list after roster cuts, you have a full long list of guys, I'm like, how do you evaluate, like which player now can bring something different to you that you're saying, Hey, maybe he didn't work out over there, but with our coaching, maybe we can make him better.
Speaker 3: No, that's that's the whole idea. That's the great thing about the beauty of scouting is that you know your team, right. You have an idea. You've seen your guys practice all training camp, you've seen your guys play three games, so you have an idea. But what happens is you also take your scouts and you divide them up among all the other teams. So when when the scout's out in his area, his college area, and he say he's hitting North Carolina, North Carolina State, Clemson, well you also pop him into you pop him into Carolina and watch the Carolina play, you know, play the Washington Commanders, and you know, you sign these guys teams. So these scouts take a little pride in like going to trying to find guys. They're like, listen, this guy's better than our guy. You know, this guy's better than Bostic, or this guy's better than Hoffman, or this guy's better than That's the fun of it is going out and trying to find a guy. We used to have I used to organize the scouts in a way when I was in pro personnel and had them cover these teams and then we bring them back for the final cuts. And as we're going through the final cuts, we would say claim practice squad or don't worry about and you know, you would divide them up into categories. So that's how we got our emergency board that we were able to say okay, and then you see these guys they either get claimed or they get put on practice squads. Well you can go poach guys off practice squads. So that was something I always wanted to know. Okay, who's the best practice squad player. So because that the first opportunity that I had to go get somebody, I was gonna take it, you know. But it's it's it's part of the fun of putting together a team that you but I just feel, well, I just feel for me. I can't paint worth a damn.
Speaker 2: You do that very well and I can't. So you got to see.
Speaker 3: That's what I'm saying. There's things that you know, you get passionate.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but that's the beauty of.
Speaker 3: Building your roster that you stole somebody from, you know, in all you don't want to. I mean, as much as we love Semi Fojoko, him going to Pittsburgh and having success, and if he does that, then someone's gonna go, why do we give up on Semi? You know, I mean there's there's that, you know, there's always that Jabril Cox. What if Chabrill Cox makes a play in a Commander's Cowboys game one day and we're all gonna look at each other and go at Chabrill Cox well and then goa say, well, you know he got heard he couldn't do this can do. But see that's the beauty of trying to find players in order to help you win these games.
Speaker 9: And we talked about you know, uh Igbinoghany versus Kelvin Joseph. I mean sometimes a fresh start. I mean that trades, yeah, trade trades for trades. Yeah, that factors into it. So fresh starts, I mean you have the psychology of it. But then there's also, like you mentioned earlier, scheme fit, you know, coaching style versus how the player learns best. I mean, those things all going to play. But to Brian's point, the Cowboys did. In fact, they have fourteen out of the sixteen that are guys that were on the ninety man roster that on the practice squad. But look at who in the positions they went out and got. So Willington prevlin if I'm announcing pronouncing his last name correctly, interior defensive lineman. That got him from the Buccaneers. Okay, well, many thought that with Quentin Bohanna being released, they would bring back Quentin Bohanna. But they looked at Bohanna said, you know what, we're curious. See what this what this busgel can do same with Harlowe, Offensive Lineman. No Matt Farniac. Right, people thought Farniac would come back. Cowboys said, well, we know what we can get for Funiac. Let's see what we get from Harlow. So a good mix of keeping the ones that were won, the ninety man roster that you feel like can develop and contribute maybe as early as this year in some capacity, but also bringing in some outside guys and positions that they need.
Speaker 8: All right, let's take our final.
Speaker 3: Get set in your ways. There, there you go.
Speaker 2: Let's take it like their guys too.
Speaker 7: When we come back, we're gonna keep dissecting this roster a little bit more.
Speaker 10: Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the Cheetah Savannah. Todd believed the big cat repellent he bought online was reliable. And now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour.
Speaker 4: But the good news is.
Speaker 10: Todd has at and T five G. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew at and T five G. Fast, reliable, secure.
Speaker 2: It's not complicated.
Speaker 11: Five G requires compatible planning device. Five G may not be available in your area. See att dot com slash five G for you for details.
Speaker 4: Don't put off getting your oil chain. Dallas. Take five Oil Change, a proud partner of the Cowboys, is faster than you think. There's no appointment needed and no waiting room. Yep, you hurt that correctly. Take five is so fast you don't even have to get out of your car. You can take advantage of Take five's fast, friendly and simple service at any of their locations across the Dallas area. And remember, at Take five you stay in your car because they're faster than you think. Take five the official oil change of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 1: It's the official men's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys, Jack Black and right now, Cowboys fans can get fifteen percent off their seventy five dollars order. Plus because every deal needs a playmaker, your order will include a free five piece skincare set and free shipping. The Jack Black Playmaker is four of Jack's favorites and a full sized intense therapy lipball. Make a play for the Playmaker at Getjack Black dot com. Slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP. That's get Jack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP.
Speaker 6: They say champions, oh remember, but legends are never forgotten. United Agon Turf offers a winning lineup of John Deere equipment built to tackle any challenge on and off the field. Legendary John Deere Tractors, combines residential mowers, commercial moweres, compact construction equipments, cater utility vehicles, and a full line of golf and sports turf equipment. United Agon Turf the official Agonturf equipment supplier of the Dallas Cowboys. Visit United dagonturf dot com to find a location near you.
Speaker 3: Back to the break, Do you eat, sleep, and breed Dallas Cowboys Football? Yes, tell us how you spice up the game for a chance to be named the twenty twenty three Cowboys Fan of the Year, presented by Captain Morgan, and win exclusive prizes plus a trip to Super Bowl fifty eight. There Ambar Garcia, nominate yourself or another today make it at Dallascowboys dot com slash Fan of the Year. I'll be there, good for you. I'm gonna go good for you. Yeah. I hope the cowboys go be a lot more fun if everybody gets to go.
Speaker 2: Indeed, Yeah, experience check your button?
Speaker 3: Did you hit the button on your knee? H did you hit your cop button? There we'll talk among as ourselves their Patrick as she figures, had a good locker room story today.
Speaker 2: Patrick, Yeah, about Bogany. Yeah, we walk out.
Speaker 3: Okay, we're pat Sorry legs, Okay, she.
Speaker 2: Just interrupted the story, y'all, So there we are, go ahead, Yeah, you're back, Go ahead.
Speaker 9: It was just a funny little story that we were talking about during the break. The pronunciation of IgG monogany. So we walk up to talk to the to the young man today and he's two lockers away from Osa uh Dicky zuwah and Osa stops the reporters left jokingly, and he's like, before anyone asks the first question, you have to pronounce his name correctly. And I looked at us. I said, is that because you know that struggle? And he laughed and he's like absolutely, So we're doing our best here egg Banogany.
Speaker 2: We're going to get everybody right.
Speaker 3: Did did David Moore? Does he get to ask the first questions? And scrums like he does when conferences.
Speaker 2: Not necessarily Okay, there a go.
Speaker 9: Yeah, so press conferences definitely, and it's hallway pressers are you know, fifty fifty.
Speaker 3: Fifty fifty locker room is give it every every man sitting there with your question to get in there.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I used to hold a boom pole back in the day.
Speaker 8: Again, back in the day.
Speaker 7: The thing that's a job right there. Your arms, that's a workout.
Speaker 3: That's like, hey, it's better than holding the mic straight with your arm when that they're just trying to hold a recorder with our mic in in there and your yeah, your shoulder can.
Speaker 2: Relate is on the.
Speaker 3: Buire. The boom pole is better, much better.
Speaker 7: Yeah, all right, Well let's get I want to do like a quick review of the quote unquote final roster for the Cowboys that they currently have as of today. We talked about some of the you know, uh needs that they steal don't have much depth. We talked about the old line, We talked about linebackers. But just want to further go into that conversation as far as what are some of the areas that you don't necessarily feel as strong looking at the final roster right now? As far as depth or talent, I go.
Speaker 2: Right back to linebackers.
Speaker 9: I really just am not comfortable with the depth behind Lve and Demoon Clark. Again, I love the flashes that Devin Harper showed in the preseason. I wanted to see more from Elik Jefferson and I think there's more there, but he was lost for most of the preseason with the foot injury.
Speaker 2: He is back going to practice squad.
Speaker 9: I see if he can earn a place as far as getting activated once or twice, if not permanently. But until you know, I get that type of solace from Elik Jefferson, and until Devin Harper is consistently impacting regular season games, I would love to see a veteran come in at that position. And the good thing is is they're not looking for a veteran starter a lah Anthony Barr last year, because you didn't have a definitive starter with DeMont Clark still recovering from his next surgery.
Speaker 2: So that's the good news.
Speaker 9: The good news is they're looking for a football mercenary at linebacker, but the pressures not on them to find a definitive starter. If you go out there and you find a veteran who can rotate at LB three probably won't give you a ton of special teams work. But give me another linebacker at LB three and I'll feel much better. And then offensive line death. I think that's going to be a question until we see these young guys have to step up. But at the same time, I hope we never have to see these young guys step up, not this season.
Speaker 3: I know all we got to see was stretching today at practice, But I learned something when somebody ran onto the field that TJ. Bass was with the centers and he was working with so he was going, he was going with inside the quarterbacks do quarterback center exchange, and he was with the other Hoffman and then also with be Oddish, so they he was coming on to the field. I guarantee you he was with the quarterbacks in there. So they're going to try it and see if TJ. Bass can develop maybe as a snapper, maybe as a backup as a backup center. So kind of keep an eye on that. I'm dannie, I don't. I hope they figured out what's going on at three technique or under tackle behind oh soo DIGGI sowah. They kept Nebell Galimore. I think that had a lot to do with Sharif Floyd. I think Sharif Floyd sponsored him in this one. I mean last year, you know, it seemed like that Nebell Galimore was like one foot in the parking lot, playing late into preseason games, kind of in the doghouse, made some changes with the defense, you know, and it you know, it looked like that he showed a little bit of promise, some flashes. Again, I worry about that. I didn't see the flashes as much as I did from Golston. I thought Golston was going to be a guy that was really really going to step up. Didn't have the type of seasoned I thought he was gonna have. So Osa played really well at the under tackle or the three technique. The others behind him, I don't know. I don't know. You're gonna need Nebelle Gallimore or Golston, one of those guys to kind of figure out that three technique behind him, because that guy's gonna play some I'm going you know, I'm okay with what they're gonna do with Mozzi Smith. I didn't want anybody in Mozzie Smith's way, you know, I did you could let go of all those nose tackles. As far as I concerned, just play Mozzie Smith. I don't want any coach or anybody's saying, well, he's an actor this week, because we're going with it, you know, I didn't want to hear that. Just play the guy. Just go ahead and play the guy. See how it works out. But that undertackle three technique backup might be something that we need to kind of monitor as this year goes along.
Speaker 7: All right, well, let's switch gears on this conversation. I did want to bring up the fact of the of Jarren curse changing numbers because that's something that fan for some reason love.
Speaker 2: The jersey numbers. Also because they're buying the jerseys.
Speaker 3: True that in the jersey color that they're wearing for the game.
Speaker 2: Oh that's key.
Speaker 8: People forget week one. What are they playing?
Speaker 2: Because hean't forbid.
Speaker 9: It's Navy supposedly cursed, and so was the red, white and blue stripe supposedly even yeah, that one, even though statistically speaking, well that one's cursed.
Speaker 3: I guess our studio already has to make a change here. If you've noticed, stop, if you if you look behind you, there there's a number twenty already.
Speaker 2: Well bring out, get him back in here, make some change.
Speaker 3: Check does that come out of beam?
Speaker 2: Get him back in here.
Speaker 8: That's a good eye, Bryan.
Speaker 2: That's a scouting scout right there.
Speaker 3: Derek, what's going on?
Speaker 7: How to sign off on this change? But twenty seven will now be wearing number one going forward. He did one number zero last year, but that did not happen, So now gonna go with number one. And he sees this as a fresh start for him.
Speaker 2: There's the phrase fresh start for a lot of people.
Speaker 9: I spoke with jay Ron in the locker room this morning and he basically said he went back to it because it was quote unquote back to his college days. He said, he made a lot of good plays in college, and basically I'm trying to recapture that energy before the season starts. So basically I looked him in the eye, I said, hey, it's Clemson curse back and he said, yes, back to it. So he's looking at it as more much more significant, even than the initial number changed to twenty seven, which had some meaning to him as well, but not like this. He's going into what he hopes is going to be a special year. He's trying to prove himself to himself and also to the organization because he's trying to get a third contract, just like when Lee Cooker just got.
Speaker 3: Speaking of numbers, number two was running around out there yesterday. Yeah, George Lewis, Yeah, And there was a lot of thought about, you know, maybe that he was gonna and I know Patrick, we were talking about it. But it was good to see him on the field. He and Britt Brown did a nice job. We'll see if he can get ready for the Giants, but it was good to see him out there, not on cords or anything like that, but like practicing him up.
Speaker 7: Do you really think that's even impossibility because I've heard it being mentioned.
Speaker 3: Yeah once, Yeah, absolutely, it is absolutely absolutely.
Speaker 2: I want to be clear.
Speaker 9: And I know they're you know, the fans and content creators out there, and there's a lot of speculation on if Jordan Lewis is ready, and there's the you know, the PTSD of Michael Gallup is kind of what they're leaning on. But Jordan Lewis, I've been in endless contact with him, talk with the trainers, talk with the coaching staff. Over the course of his rehabilitation, Jordan Lewis is one hundred percent healthy and to his own to his point when I spoke with him yesterday about a couple of days about go about it, he said that the biggest toughest time is behind him now. The biggest hurdle is just lining up and feeling football again. Yep, so feeling how it feels to compete and go against those wide receivers. That's the only thing that's missing now where that started this week, he's going to have the totality of next week. There's absolutely a possibility that he gets on the field against the Giants. Now, he won't be the starter for obvious reasons, the Bland. He's ready coming off a breakout season, Jordan needs to be ramped up. But the possibility of him taking a handful of reps against the Giants.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, He's not wrong.
Speaker 3: Talking about over there.
Speaker 8: I believe you, guys.
Speaker 7: No, it's been it's been a long journey for him, So I'm excited to see him back on the field.
Speaker 8: Yeah, we all love him.
Speaker 7: Love his energy, love his competitive competitive mess.
Speaker 3: You got it right.
Speaker 7: So before we end the show, just wanted to ask you what are you most excited about going into this first week of the season, or just starting the season, just a season in general, what you got, Brian?
Speaker 3: I always think that every journey's different, every campaign is different, and it's just the the there's that anxiousness that did you build this team the right way? Did you build this team to first win the division? You know, because if you win the division, it kind of takes care of yourself, You get a home playoff game, a lot of things go the positive way for you. So can you compete? Can you find a way? You know? I feel like that the Commanders got a little better. I feel like the Giants got a little better. The Eagles, you know, until you know the last year's champs, you know, but did you build a team that can compete with them? That's the thing I'm most anxious to see is how the other games are important, But going out and winning this division takes care of a lot of things for you going forward.
Speaker 9: I am most anxious and looking forward to this offense. I mean, we know what this Cowboys defense is. We fled out no and now they just need to go out there and continue to do what we know they can do offense. Coming into this offseason, so many questions marks before the Brandon Cooks trade. Is Gallop going to be able to bounce back? And even if he can, who's your definitive number three at that point? And then how versatile can this offense be? You move on from Kellen Moore, McCarthy takes the will at play caller, what does that look like? But then you start to see moves like they bring in John Parks, one of the analytics guys, and they make several analytics hires in that department, and then you start to see it in training camp, some of the play calls that are being made in training camp, and the versatility duce Vaughan. You keep Hunter Lipky because you want more versatility. Question marks were on if this offense can match serve with this defense. Now we can sit here looking at this roster and we can honestly say on paper they can match.
Speaker 2: Serve with this defense.
Speaker 9: Now the anxiousness comes, and the anxiety comes from will they And I'm ready to see it, And no better way to do it than against a divisional rival. So you can get a real leg up to start the season in that race for the NFC East crown because you're going to need it. Yeah, because the Giants are come into play. The Eagles we know are coming to play, and just don't rule out the Commanders as someone who will be difficult and make some way.
Speaker 3: They got skilled players and they got a good defense that.
Speaker 2: Their defensive line is monstrous.
Speaker 8: Well even last year, this whole.
Speaker 3: This whole division, if you deal with the defensive tackles just in this division are tough to deal with. So you got to be good inside that.
Speaker 9: Payne Allen combo Is, it's something else started off with one to know.
Speaker 3: You're ready to travel?
Speaker 2: No, but I'm ready for you. Ready, you're ready to travel for a win?
Speaker 8: Yes?
Speaker 2: Yes, okay.
Speaker 7: I'm not looking forward to those late night games though, and traveling that's exhausting, man, that's exhausting. But I am so freaking excited. I am so excited about this new season. I'm excited just like you guys. We've seen things that training camp that seem very promising for the offense, but now we have to see it in a real game with the started starters showing it. So we'll be back next week. We go into our regular schedule. Every single day we'll be here talking about the Cowboys. Our time is eleven am. Central Time, So we'll be here starting Monday as we get ready today to travel Tuesday.
Speaker 2: Monday.
Speaker 7: Oh yeah, Mondays holiday, No not for us necessarily, so.
Speaker 2: We'll we won't be in the Memorial Day.
Speaker 7: We got the podcast, we get a break from the break, but okay, thank you, thank you. Anyways, we'll be back Tuesday then as we get ready to travel to the to face the Giants. First week Cowboys against the Giants. Thank you so much everyone for tuning in today for Brian brought us, Patrick Walker and member Garcia. This has been the Break on Dallascowboys dot com Radio.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 7: How was you tel there?