Speaker 1: Morning Run with Amy and TJ and our Heart Radio podcast.
Speaker 2: It's Monday, September thirtieth, every one, and I'm Amy roboch and here and happy despite having watched my Georgia Bulldogs lose once again to Alabama.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's how we're gonna start, Yeah, he h On this Monday A the folks, I AMDJ Holmes. Hope you had a really really good weekend. Of course, it was a busy college football weekend, always fun, and it was a classic. If you haven't heard about it, yeah, and if you haven't seen.
Speaker 3: It, Alabama versus Georgia two versus four.
Speaker 1: Was one of the instant classic is what they call it that everybody was talking about over weekend.
Speaker 2: I are people calling it the greatest SEC football game they'd ever seen. Clearly they weren't rooting for Georgia.
Speaker 3: It wasn't hyperbole though.
Speaker 1: These were some folks who've been covering for a long long time. And if you didn't have a dog in a fight, that was a wonderful game. But wherever you are today, hope your team won and hope you are off to a great start on this Monday day. As we start our morning run on this final day of September, Yes.
Speaker 2: On the run today. Things escalated quickly over the weekend in back and forth between Hesbela and Israel.
Speaker 1: Also a looming strike, a shipping shutdown, and potential empty store shelves, while the next twenty four hours could be key to your Christmas.
Speaker 2: Plus help has arrived to rescue those two stranded astronauts, but they are still stuck in space for another five months.
Speaker 1: And the Netflix hit Baby Reindeer one Emmy's but lost in court. Also another day, another lawsuit against Diddy.
Speaker 2: And for long time beloved even legendary entertainers passed away within days of each other, and fans of soap operas Bridgerton, Beverly Hills, cop and country music all left in mourning.
Speaker 1: And SNL kicked off its fiftieth season this weekend, and Tim Waltz, Joe Biden, dug him Off all made their debuts.
Speaker 2: If you will, well, let's head out on our run now, where tensions have intensified in the Middle East Israel. Israeli air strikes have now been hitting Beirut in recent days, the first time that's happened in a year of conflict.
Speaker 1: At least three three top leaders of Hesbela were killed in the air strikes on Sunday. This is an additional blow to the group after its leader Hassannazraala was killed Friday. At least one hundred people were killed another three hundred and fifty injured during the overnight air strikes in Beirut.
Speaker 2: Hesbola is vowing to continue that fight, even as a number of their leaders have been targeted and killed. Israel continues those air strikes on what it says are Hesbela targets, but have destroyed homes, civilian infrastructure, and displaced tens of thousands of Lebanese citizens.
Speaker 1: Hesblah has responded by firing rockets into northern israel, An area where Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin not In Yahoo has been trying to return residents to after the recent fighting. But over the weekend things certainly ramped up and got more intents in that back and forth. No sign of letting up.
Speaker 2: Up On our run, we may be running out of a lot of things. If those longshore workers along the East and Gulf coasts go on strike tomorrow as expected, we may have a major supply issue on our hands.
Speaker 1: And just in time for the holidays. Businesses have been nervously watching the deadline looming happens at midnight tonight to avoid a strike of tens of thousands of those longshore workers.
Speaker 2: Now the fight is over pay and to protect job security, the union is asking for a complete ban on the automation of cranes, gates, and container movements for loading and loading cargo.
Speaker 1: Goods could be stranded at see if forty five thousand members of the International Longshoremen's Association made good on their threat to strike, thirty six ports was shut down from Maine to Texas. Those ports handled half of the goods shipped into and out of the United States and containers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is a really big deal. Fairly quickly, Americans could see shortages in banana and cherries, chocolate, cars, and alcohol. And what's available now will likely cost you more, as TJ said, just in time for the holidays. And if you like to drink and celebrate well, imports like German beer, French wine, Scotch and Irish whiskey, Caribbean rum and tequila, those could all be impacted within this next month.
Speaker 1: Okay, now you got people's attention. They weren't worried about the cherries, but don't mess with the tequila and rum. This would be the first such walkout we've seen like this on the East Coast since nineteen seventy seven. President Biden could seek a court order for an eighty day cooling off period. According to White House officials, there are currently no plans to get involved in these talks. And it's not just amount of it shuts down for a day or two that doesn't sound bad, but they say it could get them up to a week even to get it restarted, to get things up and going again. So they can't really afford to go and strike for a day or two even it could have a huge impact.
Speaker 2: And the problem is right now on the books, there are no plans for either side to so it looks like unless someone does reach out on Olive Branch, that strike is going to happen. As of midnight, our run continues with astronauts stuck in space, but they're one giant leap closer to getting home.
Speaker 1: Yes, SpaceX to the rescue. SpaceX launched a rescue mission for those two stuck astronauts at the International Space Station over the weekend.
Speaker 2: They sent up a downsized crew, a crew minus two if you will, so they can bring Butch Wilmer and Sunny Williams back to Earth early next year. Wilmer and Williams Boeing spacecraft returned to Earth earlier this month without them because of some safety concerns, so they are now yes stranded at the station for an indefinite amount of time, or at least they were okay.
Speaker 1: So the way this works, NASA rotates the crews at the space station. They do this every six months, So this crew that just went up with the two empty seats won't return until late February to keep the schedule, so they will bring back the two random ones in the two empty seats that they have. So those two folks who are up there stranded were supposed to be on a mission that was supposed to last a week. This is now going to mean they're ultimately going to be up there for eight months.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and even getting the rescue crew up there that all the astronauts agreed, there were challenges launching a spacecraft with just half a crew and then returning with two other astronauts who haven't been trained on that spacecraft. They've been trained on an entirely different one. So officials say they aren't concerned. Everyone is professional. They will act at quarterly and they will figure it all out.
Speaker 3: Okay, hopefully this works out.
Speaker 1: The boweling star Liner that left Wilmore and Williams stranded in space landed in the New Mexico Desert earlier this month without any issues actually happened.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they would have been okay.
Speaker 2: That was the big debate. Could it wasn't going to be able to land safely? It did, so they would have been all right. But if you're going to throw in a bunch of caution, it should be at least when it comes back into re entering the Earth. Want to make sure you hit the right angle, get at the right place in time, and land safely. It did.
Speaker 1: They made the right call. Still, you couldn't roll the dice. But you know those astronauts are thinking, man, we could have been home now.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And just last week, by the way, Boeing's Defense and space chief was replaced, so there were some issues that they figured they needed some restructuring on. Next up, A judge has now called bs on the claim that the Netflix show Baby Reindeer is a true story. Fiona Harvey, the real life Martha at the center of the show, sued for defamation, saying that show made false claims about her. But Netflix this summer asked for her case to be dismissed, arguing that the viewer was able to understand that parts of the story were fictionalized.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 1: A judge rejected that idea and has just ruled that the case can go forward, saying that the hit show, which just picked up six Emmys, certainly gives the impression that it's a true story since at the beginning of the series it flashed, which is the words this is a true story on the screen.
Speaker 2: The show was created by Richard Gadd and it tells his experience about being stalked and harassed by a woman that's Martha in the show and supposedly Fiona Harvey in real life. But the woman in the show was convicted of a crime depicted as sexually assaulting a man and gouging out his eyes, went to prison. But the problem is none of those things actually happened in real life, according to Harvey's lawsuit.
Speaker 1: So the judge puts it this way, there is a major difference between stalking and being convicted of stalking in a court of law goes on to say there are major differences between inappropriate touching and sexual assault, as well as between shoving and gouging another's eyes out. The judge said, absolutely, people will walk away with the impression and giving a different impression that this woman did things that actually the show's shows are much worse than the woman is accused of in real life. Even though he said, hey, some of the stuff she did in real life is reprehensible, it's still not how y'all depicted.
Speaker 3: In the in the show.
Speaker 2: And they didn't put her name out in the show, but it didn't take long. You know, the sleuths, the internet sluice out there who were trying to figure out who this woman is found her real identity pretty quickly, and she says she was harassed almost immediately after people realized that she was the character that this show is based on. Now, the judge, by the way, did dismiss parts of Harvey's claims, but gave her the ok to pursue her claim of intentional infliction of emotional distress.
Speaker 1: This was a one hundred and seventy million dollar lawsuit and a lot obviously this was a huge hit for Netflix, but it picked up the Emmy for Outstanding Limited Series. The two actors got awards as well, so he got six in total, so it's a huge hit. I didn't realize what they say. So many studios and people are so keen on adding something that shows as a true story or that says based on a true story. We've seen it. They mints or mix up the words in different ways sometimes, but I didn't really. It's such a big deal that they tried to push it a little bit because it's a apparently a good selling point.
Speaker 3: For the audience.
Speaker 2: Right, true crime sells, and that's certainly been proven over the years. But my question is why not just say parts of this story have been fictionalized, and at least just say that and give yourself that disclaimer.
Speaker 1: So he says he has said that in his comedy shows and other places and interviews, but I have never seen any of those. You know what, I saw the beginning of that show that said this is a true story flatly, It didn't say based on it said this is a true story, and that might get them intro. We'll stay with us here, our morning run is going to continue, and yes Diddy stays in jail, but the lawsuits keep coming. Next stop on our Monday Morning run another lawsuit, Yes, another didty lawsuit, and some of the alleged details in this one are pretty awful to hear. And this new suit filed over the weekend here in New York, a woman claimed she was sexually assaulted over a number of years, and as a result of one of those assaults, she became pregnant.
Speaker 2: The woman claims she met Combs back in twenty twenty and that their relationship continued up until this year. The suit claims the woman would see Diddy periodically over the years, at which times, she says he would fill her with drugs and alcohol to the point she was unconscious and then would wake up with bruising and other injuries.
Speaker 1: Now, this is the second new lawsuit he's been hit with since he was arrested two weeks ago on federal racketeering and sex trafficking charges. We might just be scratching the surface here of lawsuits. There is a lawyer in Texas who says his verm is representing fifty plus people who will be pursuing assault claims charges against Combs.
Speaker 2: Wow, and I just wonder when and how all of this would be processed because in the meantime these are all civil lawsuits. He's obviously dealing with the big elephant in the room, the criminal charges he is facing. He is pleaded not guilty to federal charges and a judge denied him fail so he will be sitting in jail awaiting trial where his life is on the line, and these lawsuits seem like they'll keep coming, and we.
Speaker 1: Need to be It's hard to keep up. I know a lot of people like which one is what and WI was that he was facing even before he was arrested, somewhere around ten civil lawsuits, and since he's been in jail, this is at least the second one that's coming. Now you're talking about a lawyer saying another fifty are coming. What a story, What a fall. I don't know how all this is going to get worked out. A lot of this is just folks want to settle and get money, and some of it's I think beyond even the statute of limitations has been missed.
Speaker 3: But this is a lot of.
Speaker 1: Folks coming after him for money and damage they say he's done to them.
Speaker 2: Well, he's worth a lot of money. Even sitting behind bars. That makes a lot of sense.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 2: Our run continues as we remember four entertainment legends who pass away over the weekend. We'll begin with Days of our live star Drake Hodghiston. He was one of Daytime's most beloved stars, and he died on Saturday, one day shy of his seventy first birthday.
Speaker 1: And this is how his family put it, quote, it is with heavy hearts that we announced the passing of Drake Hodgiston. He was thrown the curveball of his life when he was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer, but he faced the challenge with their incredible strength and determination. After putting up an unbelievable fight, he passed away peacefully surrounded by loved ones.
Speaker 3: They say, we love.
Speaker 1: Him and we'll miss him all the days of our lives, and so Robes. This is where you I think there were several that came through and you said, wow, these things always happened in threes, right, and then we're going to continue here on, but it ends up in fours and who knows what. But it was to see the number of these some of these names, and he's not just an actor on this show, He's a legend. Been playing the character since I don't know what year was it done, I should know this number eighty, but forty years.
Speaker 2: It's forty something years. And oh, anyone who grew up who was about my age grew up watching soap operas. I was an All my Children fan, but all of my college roommates were Days of Our Lives fans, and so they watched him and the show religiously. These actors weren't just as you mentioned actors. They were part of our lives. Days of Our Lives is a perfect name for the soap opera, but they really came into our homes every afternoon, and we felt like we were a part of their family. So he will certainly be missed, this one. This next legend who we lost. My daughter, My twenty one year old daughter texted me just devastated, because we love Maggie Smith, the woman that so many newer loved is the Dowager Countess of Grantham. Of course, that is for all of my down and Abbey fans, and then professor of Minervo McGonagall. That, of course reference to her character that she played in Harry Potter. The singular Maggie Smith died at the age of eighty nine and younger generations remember her for her aforementioned Roles Smith won her first Oscar more than fifty years ago for the nineteen sixty nine film The Prime of Miss Jean Brodiet.
Speaker 1: You mentioned Downton Abbey and Harry Potter. She was classically trained as a performer, and she's.
Speaker 3: Got trophies to back this up.
Speaker 1: Two Academy Awards, four Emmy Awards, three Golden Globe Awards, five BAFTA Awards and not Tony Wow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she was an impressive woman. Her two sons had this to say about their mother's death. An intensely private person, she was friends and family. She was with friends and family at the end. She leaves two sons and five loving grandchildren who were devastated by the loss of their extraordinary mother and grandmother. I love what they said that she loved her privacy so much that when she became the dowager Countess on Dowton Abbey, she suddenly instantly became someone who people recognized and would go up to in the streets. And she hated it. She hated every minute of it. That was like the downside to playing such a iconic role that she suddenly became genuinely famous, and she was not a fan.
Speaker 1: You always talk about people have a certain level, the right level of fame to where you can enjoy what your craft and you're doing, but still walk down the street and enjoy some level of privacy, sir. But eighty nine, what a life and extraordinary life she lived. This next, actor, John Ashton, is not a name that immediately comes to people's mind as an actor. Don't know his name, but you probably do know Sergeant Taggart, John Taggart from Beverly Hills Cop. That John Ashton played that role, and he died at the age of seventy six. He passed away peacefully, according to his family, September twenty sixth in Colorado is Home.
Speaker 2: I know you were a huge fan of his work. His family said that John was a loving husband, brother, father, and grandfather who will be deeply missed by all who knew him. And yes, he starred opposite Eddie Murphy in the Beverly Hills Cop franchise. And I know you'll probably be watching that today in honor of John Ashton.
Speaker 3: Sweetheart, you hilarious look to your left.
Speaker 2: The screen it's playing right now, and I actually didn't know it until the second. Oh my goodness, I know you so well.
Speaker 3: I have those movies on all the time anyway.
Speaker 1: But he played he was kind of the stiff of the Beverly Hills Police Department, but he was so great and working with Eddie Murphy and how they played off each other. So John ashed a fifty year acting career from stage and screen on TV a lot as well, so he didn't just do those movies. And the last one here, this was after you said, wow, these things come in threes, and then overnight this came like Wow. Couldn't believe it. Chris Christofferson, singer, songwriter, actor, passed away the age of eighty eight. He was a rare talent. He got to the very top of music and the top of Hollywood and left a lasting impression on both.
Speaker 2: He's a member of the Country Music Hall of Fame. He started making his first big impression on music as a songwriter, and boy does he have some big ones. Me and Bobby McGee performed by Janis Joplin. Teacher had to look this one up. Do you want to admit that you've never heard this song?
Speaker 1: No problematic? I had never in life heard that song and I played it this morning. The whole thing such a classic.
Speaker 2: It's so good. It's one of my favorites. I might be playing that later today a Sunday morning, coming down for the Good Times performed by Ray Price, and of course he started opposite Barbara Streis and in a Star Is Born. This is way before Lady Gaga fans out there. This was also a remake, but way back before many people's time.
Speaker 1: His families that he died peacefully at his home in Hawaii, but you talk about his reach, so those he made such an impression as a songwriter. But for the Good Times performed by Ray Rice. I wasn't familiar with Ray Rice that song, though I listened to this morning, like, wait a minute, I know every single lyric of this song because it is the song performed by Al Green for the Good Times. It was a soulful hit of his that I didn't know. I've been singing that song my whole life. Chris Christopherson wrote that song, So you see the kind of reach somebody has to where me, a black kid in Arkansas is rocking out to this soulful hit by Al Green, had no idea that Chris Christopherson is responsible for the song that's his reach.
Speaker 2: He was amazingly talented and incredible lyricist. And the nice thing about you know, folks like this, they live on their art and their entertainment lives on so we can all continue to enjoy them and all that they did, but we celebrate them today. Well, some of the more important questions so the presidential campaign season were finally answered everyone. I don't know if you missed it. It happened over the weekend. They were answered live from.
Speaker 1: New York on Saturday night. It was the season debut Saturday Live.
Speaker 3: Folks.
Speaker 1: Everybody were waiting to see what they're gonna do with the political players, which ones are going to get the SNL treatment for the season.
Speaker 2: We knew that Byer Rudolph was absolutely going to be handling Kamala Harris. But who would play Tim Waltz, second Gentleman Doug m Hoff, Biden, Trump, jd Vance. These were all the big reveals that we saw over the weekend.
Speaker 1: So comedian Jim Gaffigan as Tim Waltz amazing, Adam Sandberg as Doug m Hoff, Dana Carvey as Joe Biden, and then the Trump and vans were handled by SNL cast members James Austen James Austin Johnson, you've seen him play Trump, and then SNL cast member Bowen Yang is playing jd Vance. But they absolutely Oh the Jim Gaffigan, who he is perfect, perfect in this role.
Speaker 2: It was so good and I actually had moments where and not that my Rudolph doesn't look like Kamala Harris, but if I closed my eyes, I actually thought I was hearing Kamala Harris speak. I mean, she really nailed it, and it's, oh my gosh. Dana Carvey is Joe Biden. I mean, it was a little painful to watch, but that made it even funnier in moments, and he looked like him.
Speaker 1: As he's older, he's aged now to where he looks just I'm not saying Dana Carvey, that's not an insult. I'm saying he is just now fall gotten into He looked like he was born to play that role. Now he's I'm looking forward to the season.
Speaker 2: Oh, it was incredible, and you know, we'll see what they do, of course, because tomorrow we have the vice presidential debate, so I'm sure SNL will tackle that as well. With some of their newly formed cast members, but certainly to remind you, yes, we are going to be watching, as I'm sure many of you will, tomorrow nine pm Eastern time, we will see the vice presidential nominees to debate one another. And this is happening here in New York City, so it'll be a late night for us, but we're gonna stay up and bring you all the latest. We're going to do a podcast right on the debate.
Speaker 1: Immediately have of course we are. There's always something that unpredictable is going to happen. We can talk all day about they gotta do this, and he's got to do this, and this is what Nope, every pundit is going to be wrong almost because something just unpredictable happens, is what.
Speaker 2: Well. The interesting thing to CBS has already put out that they are going to keep the microphones up, so there will be hot mics. It'll be a little bit different than what we saw with ABC's presidential debate, and they are already saying that their moderators are not going to be fat checking, that they are expecting the candidates to fact check one another. So they are already removing that responsibility from their moderators, Nora O'Donnell and Margaret Brennan.
Speaker 1: You know, we'll see how that works. And there's too much flying to where it would take too much time to call everybody on their stuff. But it almost feels like a journalist, like you're not doing your gig if you hear something that you know is incorrect.
Speaker 2: It's a little tough because on one hand, what you don't want to happen afterwards is for all the debate or the finger pointing to be at the moderators for not doing good enough job. The left and the right both say, hey, you didn't call the candidate, so they're just removing that saying nope, will out we're not doing it. So y'all have to do it to one another and that way, hopefully the conversation can be about the candidates and not about the moderators. It's an interesting tactic. It's a little questionable as a journalist, but we'll see how it works.
Speaker 1: So we look forward to that, and I hope you're looking forward to your Monday again. Hope you had a good weekend, folks. Thanks for starting your week with us on our morning run.
Speaker 3: We'll see soon