Speaker 1: The Around the NFL podcast.
Speaker 2: Every day is weekday.
Speaker 3: Just touch these cam from the Chris Westling podcast studio. It's Around the NFL. I am Dan Hansis. I have heroes here, Greg Rosenthal, Patrick Claven and if you are a music then and you're tuning into this podcast for the first time to hear Mark Sessler's boots on the ground take on the Frank Ocean surprise set closer at Coachella this weekend, we regret to inform you that he is not here today. Tune back in Wednesday for those takes on Ocean from Coachella.
Speaker 1: Was Mark aware of Frank Ocean? Who Frank Ocean was before this weekend? I don't know. Was he there? We'll find out.
Speaker 3: I was. There were a couple of Easter eggs there on Instagram, including the shot in front of the wheel. And once you see somebody's at Coachella, it's like the shot in front of the big Ferris wheel. That's it.
Speaker 4: That's the one that's like.
Speaker 3: Go if you go to Paris, you get the shot in front of the Eiffel Tower, you do the Ferris Ferris wheel.
Speaker 1: I've never been. I haven't been yet.
Speaker 4: What it is it's literally a fairest.
Speaker 3: We have a bunch of twenty somethings behind the glass, like raise your hand if you've gotten a photo in front of the ferris wheel. Go ahead, yeah stable, why sheepish fly? Like stand on it? All right? So, how was everybody great?
Speaker 4: I'm glad that I was able to spend a little extra time with you guys today. It was a solid We were delayed and and we were able to have discussions and fellowship and it was good.
Speaker 1: And I appreciate somemwell who does the drop at the beginning of the show, noticing the work I've done on my cabs. I'm not jogging it like a pretty slow pace or lazily biking for thirty minutes at a time while I watched TV for nothing. It's for the babes, for.
Speaker 3: The listening audience, and unfortunately we were sitting at desks. Greg has cut off shorts very high on the quads and then just those calves just bulging. What a piece of work.
Speaker 4: Not a very reactive muscle because you work them so much, so it takes a lot. And Greg has clearly been putting in good call, a lot good call.
Speaker 3: I think said this podcast doesn't have sex appeal. I thought we'd get seventy minutes on the Frank Ocean set today, So I don't really have anything planned, but we'll try to figure something out on the fly. Here today's show, a star quarterback gets paid. The Cardinals continue to wrestle with an unknown future, and this is fun. We've been tinkering with some complicated and unique tech ahead of today's show. Oh yes, we have no no no, no no no.
Speaker 4: Oh Hi Dan, were you looking for me?
Speaker 3: No? No, no, no not you go away, go away. She is reaching kind of clinger status. I wasn't expecting that. No, I'm referring to our patent wheel omatic Randomizer for a chat today on team needs ahead of the twenty twenty three NFL Draft, which Patrick begins Thursday night in Kansas City.
Speaker 4: Yeah, how about that April twenty seventh.
Speaker 3: You can catch Thursday night.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you can catch the coverage on NFL network. The coverage is presented by Verizon. The twenty twenty three NFL Draft is presented by bud Light.
Speaker 1: You can tell Mary's been doing a lot of network shows.
Speaker 3: How much money just went into your bank account as you uttered those two zero Sponsorsday. Anyway, that's it. Before we get into anything though, Let's do some news.
Speaker 4: Hurts of the gun, Hurts. Let's time fakes.
Speaker 1: He's back, he's looking deep. He wants a J.
Speaker 3: Brown and it's.
Speaker 1: Called for a touchdown.
Speaker 5: Hey, J Brown, it's double coverage. It doesn't matter. He throws the ball into an area where AJ Brown can make the adjustment, and he's jocking around and he makes that proper.
Speaker 4: Adjustment to the football for a touchdown. He runs through.
Speaker 5: Contact so well, forty five yards Mike.
Speaker 3: Quick, Jalen Hurts, and yes, AJ Brown. Incredible chemistry they displayed throughout the twenty twenty two season and that should continue going forward. After the Eagles and Hurts that was from the Super Bowl, of course, I should say, reached agreement on a five year, two hundred and fifty five million dollar extension that includes nearly one hundred and eighty million guaranteed. The Eagles have confirmed Monday that a extension is in place. The financials not, but they're out there. It's the biggest contract in terms of average annual value in NFL history. Deshaun Watson's two hundred and thirty million dollar contract sign last year at the Browns is fully guaranteed. That's still the biggest in terms of guaranteed money. But Gregy Hurts also gets what he deserves, a ton of money, a lot of guaranteed money. Not as much as the other guy, but a ton and a no trade clause he set up with the Eagles. Both sides figured.
Speaker 1: Out, Yeah, one hundred and ten million, fully guaranteed, one hundred and twenty six guaranteed by next March in a no trade clause, which is interesting. I think we get into the money later, but to me, it's just like one of the best development stories that we've seen over the last twenty years. To think where we were at this point only one year ago, coming off that Bucks playoff game where Todd Bowles cooked up the Eagles pretty good, showed a lot of looks where the offensive line was confused. Jalen Hurts was confused. Oh can Jalen Hurts handle the blitz? Oh? This Jalen Hurts story was nice that they ran a lot in the second half of the year. Does that really have legs? Can this guy really play quarterback? The big question about Hurts coming into this year was can he be a long term guy? The idea of him being one of the best quarterbacks in the league, like wasn't on anyone's mind. And his play in this season was so good. I was, I think, as big a Hurts fan as I could be, and yet I did not expect him to be that good. He's one of the most effective runners, and that was one of the most effective running seasons in NFL history from a quarterback. But the improvement he's made since his college tape when he wasn't as good as a passer, to his rookie year to second year to this year is awesome and it's a great reminder with the draft coming in ten days, how far from a finished product most of these players.
Speaker 4: Are, literally, and it's one of the hardest things to project is what somebody's going to be in two and three years, and you just make the decision based off of what they currently are. But all through his time at Alabama and at Oklahoma, there was this pocket management issue with Jalen and he would bail, he would bail, and he would float out to his right, and people wondered, like, how does that? How do we get rid of this? And you saw it, as you mentioned, like in those games where things would get tough. It was looking for options that weren't there and giving up on the passing concepts, and then that all just goes away, and he has this twenty twenty three season, twenty twenty two season where it's, oh, well, if the Eagles get decent play from Jalen Hurts, then they're going to be really good. Well they got better than that, and they were a play away from winning the Super Bowl. Yeah, And you could even pick and choose which play that was, because there were any number of them. And there's literally no more other case to make. Even the people even like the weird win stands that were still somehow existing towards the end of the twenty twenty two season where even they can't argue that Jalen Hurts is a quarterback that should be paid long term in the NFL.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I think there is. Yeah, he's twenty four years old. He's had one truly kind of transcendent MVP level season. So you could say, oh, was there a little bit of a gambling here, Well, I don't see it. I think he showed on the biggest stage in the Super Bowl at the end of a season in which they went fourteen and one with him as the starter that he is absolutely every bit the real deal. But you never know, you never know how these guys age and how injuries can change things. But if you're the Eagles, this makes so much sense, even though it costs obviously a lot and will change how they have to manage their roster going forward. You trust this organization with Roshan to be able to change how they do business. Now they have this huge quarterback contract. Yeah, he's earned that. He's earned that side of things, and I think you're going to see with Joe Burrow coming up, justin Herbert potentially coming up here, you might even see this contract get quickly a leap frog in terms of the greatest average year value and all that. But that doesn't mean that this isn't a good contract. I think it's fair for both sides. And then there's the Lamar side of it, guys, which is this was a I just saw this actually before we came up because we we're delayed. Have we mentioned we were delayed before today's show.
Speaker 1: It'll always be a mystery why we were delayed.
Speaker 3: This from Jamison Hensley over at ESPN hurts his five year contract extension with the Eagles is very similar to the Lamar Jackson offer he turned down its September. According to Schefter and mort total value really the total value two fifty five b two fifty, Hurts two fifty five and guaranteed for injury one seventy nine be one seventy five. Do you see Patricks?
Speaker 1: Okay? But get Hurts had one to ten guaranteed total just saying they like to fuzz around with the math. It was not like a a salary that was a top like in terms of guarantees. It wasn't even close to a top five quarterback so far in terms of total guarantee.
Speaker 3: Buddy. So do you think now that this deal is done and you're seeing the next big contract post to Shaun Watson, that this opens the door for Lamar and Eagles to go down a road that's like this contract.
Speaker 4: Well, I think the clearest road, which was what we saw after the Odell signing, was perhaps the Ravens are willing to come up on what Lamar said, right was three years, one thirty three, Like it's a baseline.
Speaker 1: Right, So that would have been like forty two million dollars a year, whereas Hurt's got fifty whatever.
Speaker 4: And if you go off of the because the verbage, which is what Greg was referencing, the verbage, it depends on who you're talking to, because you get one seventy nine in guarantees for Jalen Hurts, right, But what are those guarantees if there's conditions on them? Are they actually guarantees? But if we go off of one seventy nine over five years, and that's thirty five million dollars a year in guaranteed money for Jalen Hurts. If we go off of that, it is thirty five a year, the number that Lamar was looking for. I just wish that we had concrete details when we're comparing and saying, oh, well, these contracts are very similar. Will show me, like, show me specifically where they're similar. And if we're talking about the average annual value, that could be anything we can tack on some years and I could give Greg six hundred million dollars if we tack on the right structure, But like, what's the what's the actual guarantee and is if we don't know, then it's tough for me to make a comparison. Because other quarterbacks have been paid since the negotiation was Lamar started and that didn't do anything. So I'm just confused as to why this would change unless it changes what the Ravens are willing to offer, and I don't. I don't think they've gotten close to what Lamar wants.
Speaker 1: Right like, I think they're too totally separate issus. I love that Jalen Hurts was really motivated to get this deal done, and then the Eagles were too, and they did it quietly in terms of just like handling it quickly. They said they were going to get it done. They got it done. Everyone's happy. Lamar it seems like totally to the side and isn't going to be side. I mean, isn't going to be affected at all, And that's fine, Like you want different things. He also, you know, Hurts does it with a couple of years left on his contract, so it's different in terms of leverage in terms of like motivation, but the whole like guaranteed thing it does sort of annoy me because it goes out there as one seventy nine in total guarantees, but then quickly in our article, no, it's one twenty six fully guaranteed by March twenty twenty four. That's the real number to me, and even then, like in theory, if something terrible happened this year, he doesn't even know.
Speaker 3: What that was the real guarantee of the Lamar Jackson one.
Speaker 1: Apparently it was three. We don't really know because we never got the structures in that, but they said it was three for one thirty three, and that was sort of the whole deal that it was. That that's where it started and got him mad. I don't know if it's going to get him any closer.
Speaker 4: But that was that was the number after years of negotiation, right, and that was the number after the Deshaun contract. So we don't ever know because there's the test tisking about Lamar not holding out two years ago, and we don't know what that offer was.
Speaker 1: I get the sense Lamar's kind of cooler about all this than maybe the outside is, and that he might be okay just playing for the franchise tag and seeing what happens next year. I mean, the whole Odell Beckham thing makes you feel that, because Odell Beckham said at his press conference, you know he's been in contact with Lamar, and uh, I think he's feeling pretty good about it, or.
Speaker 3: There's a sense of resignation at this point. I think maybe he's this just isn't gonna happen. That there hasn't been an offer on the on the market for him. The Ravens obviously haven't budged from where they're at. So what does he do at a certain point other than what not play?
Speaker 4: Yeah, those are the options to situation.
Speaker 1: I do think it's a It's interesting that like the two times these types of contracts have gone the worst since this last CBA happened, where Carson Wentz and Jared Goff and the Eagles weren't afraid at all. They they believed in Hurts. I think the dude as much as the player. Obviously, they believe in him as a player. Like they that didn't burn, They didn't feel burnt at all by that experience and did a similarly like top shelf type of contract for him and not worried about building around him. E there's a lot of good play around and making a lot of money too.
Speaker 3: All right, moving on, do you guys want to head to the Cardinal's nest?
Speaker 4: Let's do it.
Speaker 3: Everything it survived. It's a very light structure, sound pretty heavy.
Speaker 4: They weren't in there.
Speaker 3: It was that the same tree justin Yeah, sorry, all right anyway. ESPN's Adam Chapter reports that Cardinals safety Buddha Baker has told the team, in fact, he told the team back in February, that he wanted to be traded unless he got a new contract that makes him the highest paid safety in the league. He is in the top ten right now in terms of I paid safety's number seven to be exact. But he wants that big deal. It's a rebuilding team obviously, as you can hear the chainsaws out and in other Cardinals nest news, Nuke Hopkins took to Twitter briefly to post a tweet that he was not looking for a raise. That tweet mysteriously disappeared. But with Hoppins or DeAndre Hopkins on the trade block, we haven't heard anything yet. He obviously hasn't been moved yet. Will he get it asked for a new contract. He's still greg making a pretty good penny right now. He's due to make nearly twenty million under his current deal. For contrast on that, Odell just signed a deal that was worth fifteen up to eighteen. Anyway, Hopkins still with the Cardinals. This feels like a draft weekend trade. I kind of feel it.
Speaker 1: I feel it too, and I think it's it's interesting and important to note that, Look, this is triple sourced. Oh I mean no, not for me. This is on DeAndre Hopkins's own personal Twitter account, and then he's quoted as saying Hopkins doesn't want to raise, and then he put dash nuke. So that's like from the Twitter account Hopkins and Nuke.
Speaker 3: It's another way to get to the three.
Speaker 1: I feel like that's this is about as verifiable as as possible.
Speaker 3: I mean, from a verified account.
Speaker 1: I believe so, right, I think that's like fifth person, Hopkins doesn't want to trade, Nuke. It's from DeAndre Hopkins. That's a new one.
Speaker 3: That maybe a red flag that he signed it, like maybe that's something somebody that hacked his account would do. I'm just lowing that out there, and.
Speaker 4: It doesn't It could just be a quote, right, because he's quoting himself saying that Hopkins doesn't want to raise. But I could quote myself saying that sure Patrick is eight feet tall, right, just.
Speaker 3: Like Greg is gonna get a six hundred million dollar count.
Speaker 1: It was it was in quote form. Yeah, I'm maybe it's it's it seems more like, yeah, someone that doesn't tweet a ton, But I think it trades happening. They want to get rid of them. I mean they And that was the agent saying, hey, what are you doing, bro? Yeah, delete that tweet. We will try to get a raised if we can. Probably won't be.
Speaker 3: Able to do. You know, you're thirty one almost you just got suspended for PDS and you know it's probably not going to be easy to best your current contract. But let's let's keep that as an option.
Speaker 1: I think he is more likely to get traded than Buddha Baker, although Buddha Baker, look, if the Cardinals just want to like avoid all drama, like someone would give him a new contract.
Speaker 3: I believe could you not.
Speaker 4: See a path for a full rebuild year considering that there's going to be a significant portion non Kyler, right, So it's just give boot over what you want.
Speaker 1: It's just it's just sad. If you're a Cardinals fan, It's like, what more could you possibly get rid of? They don't have much we have, we have our team needs coming up, and it's like they need it all but the one thing they didn't need was like a dynamic safety. They've got one of the best and he has two years left on his contract. Did you hear By the way, Hopkins was on a podcast and he was instructed on this podcast was the All Things Covered podcast, and he said they asked him if you'd want to join a team, and they sort of based on his body language. He wasn't because he couldn't talk, but he sort of like did it off body language and what happened, and by body language, he sort of indicated he was out on the AFCs, didn't really like the Pets or Jets rather, but he would be in on the Bills and he would be in on the Chiefs. So I mean that it's just this is the part of the off season we're at now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, let's let's get this deal done. I like the idea of him in Kansas City. I'd be nice.
Speaker 4: I think he likes it as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think the Bill O'Brien issue would be an issue for him.
Speaker 3: Apparently, let's move to Minnesota or Quesciodolfo Mensa, the general manager of the Vikings, held a press conference and he was asked about Dalvin Cook Bowl running back and he continued to use language that kind of kept the story paused. That the conversations between the Vikings and the Cook camp are ongoing. The team is trying to be this one's ominous solutions oriented. Zadaria Smith, also a player that he already weeks ago now tweeted his goodbye to Minnesota, but he's still on the team and talks, according to the GM or ongoing there as well. Patrick, the Vikings not quite in the Cardinals boat by a long shot, to be quite honest with you. They did go thirteen and four last year, even if that was a little dressed up. Still, this is a team that has a lot of stuff to figure out if they are going to contend in a meaningful way next year.
Speaker 4: And we've already seen significant change on the roster already Kendrick's departure, Adam Thielen is gone, he's in Carolina.
Speaker 3: They have the worst cap situation in the league.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's bad, Yeah, but like looking back, Dalvin actually played more games in twenty twenty two than he has in any season in his career. Another eleven hundred yard season. I think that was his fourth in a row. But you just wonder where's the improvement going to be, Like, where's the space to improve? Considering like, as you mentioned, some of those wins could have easily been losses. That there's so much discussion over the one score game with the Vikings, and you kind of wonder, not to the extent of the Cardinals, right, but you kind of wonder, like, what who are we doing here? What's the plan? And it's just kirk Man, It's just the plan.
Speaker 3: Should be mentioned by the way they tabled kirk and the idea of an extension there. That's a whole separate conversation. But they also re signed Greggi as we know, Alexander Madison to a two year deal in the off season, almost six and a half million guaranteed, which puts him in the top twenty of NFL running back. So it's like that they have the guy that would become their most likely featured back or a main guy back. There now just becomes about pulling the trigger and finding a way to move.
Speaker 1: It seems I think he go on. But if he took if Dalvin Cook took a big enough pay cut, then made I think that's where he's talking about solutions oriented. But when they asked like, when you re signed Madison, did you see him still being a backup? And their answer to that was essentially, well, there there is a scenario where you could see him and Dalvin on the same team, but that sort of implies the most likely scenario is that Alexander Madison is the starting quarterback and I mean the starting running back. And Zadaria Smith, for what it's worth, I don't know if he never posted on Instagram. I'm not really on top of this, but he does not have any posts on Instagram. Left left Buddha Baker also took off all of his Cardinals stuff, but Zaandaria Smith has not taken it off of Twitter. His second to last tweet, in fact, is saying thank you to Skull Nation of him wearing Vikings uniform, but it's also saying goodbye to all of.
Speaker 3: You, so that seems And finally in the news, how about this, how about Patrick? The off season training program has begun, So the off season is over and it's time now for us to fold into a new season of the NFL.
Speaker 4: If you'll be enjoyed the off season, it was good.
Speaker 3: You know what you do with the family of this offseason?
Speaker 4: The same things all the time, chased them around, cleaned up bermuda steps, yeah, stepped on toys, none of that. But it's all the Colts and the Panthers got to work. We on NFL. Now we had some dude doing.
Speaker 1: Pull up chiefs. Chiefs were out there.
Speaker 3: Doing we was doing performative pull ups. That was in April seventeen.
Speaker 4: That was the thing. I was like, who is that? I want to say, it's just some dude. We don't know.
Speaker 1: I'm still uh, you know, as our former president Barack Obama used, they still Hawaii in my mind again, I'm still in in my mind, he just walks and keeps it, keeps it everywhere. We don't need to be reporting on who doesn't show up for like weightlifting at this point, but have you they have? It has been noted around the league a few a few like franchise players and whatnot, Quinn Williams and another.
Speaker 3: There you go. The new Greg who went to Hawaiian came back a different man. Can you cite any examples since I last saw you Thursday? You know, the old Greg maybe a little bit on edge, maybe would have handled the situation one way. But new Greg came back from the Islands. Handled it this way.
Speaker 1: Our show is delayed today, and I just took it as it as it came. I took advantage of the extra time, spent time with Patrick, prepped a little more for a segment, and just, hey, control what you can control.
Speaker 3: That's unbelievable. That's unbelievable. It was a very out of example.
Speaker 1: The seventy eight annoying things I could say to Emmica, my beautiful wife this weekend that I could have said, how many said seventy seven? I held one.
Speaker 3: Boom could have been a big one.
Speaker 4: It's still changed.
Speaker 3: Could have been the one that all right, let's take a break and uh, I'm gonna spin that wheel.
Speaker 4: All right.
Speaker 3: Hey, one more quote, like circling back to Jalen Hurts. This was from Nick Sirianni, Eagles head coach back in January, referring to, you know, having this quarterback who has reached this high level, superstar level play even I think he's in the superstar club.
Speaker 1: Then right, when you have the best game of your career in the super Bowl, it's pretty good. That'll do it.
Speaker 3: I mean, Jake Doloone did that too, but.
Speaker 1: You didn't come in second for MVP vote in that same year.
Speaker 3: But it's a fair point anyway. This is what Sirianni said. It's like having Michael Jordan out there. He's your leader, he's your guy.
Speaker 6: Yes, football is completely different than basketball.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Mark. But if you believe you have a Michael Jordan like figure in your locker room, you give the man bag.
Speaker 4: So good job and also don't make him mad because Mike would strike you. I don't think Jalen would strike you like Mike would.
Speaker 3: But I watched that with Aflec and damon me too. It's good. I gave it a three out of four word come down on it.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think that's good. I enjoyed it a lot. It was interesting.
Speaker 1: I haven't yet I will.
Speaker 3: I enjoyed it.
Speaker 4: It's in theater, it's in theaters.
Speaker 3: I saw it in theaters and then I after watching it because I find Jordan to be immensely compelling, as many people do. I revisited the Netflix ten part series Who, So I'm very much got a lot of Jordan on the mind. So, yeah, Michael Jordan, what a player.
Speaker 1: I feel like Jalen Hurts is more loved, probably by his teammates rather than feared.
Speaker 3: I would say so, I would say so. Anyway, let's get into it. Let us and again if you are just tuning in, if you're looking for the Frank Ocean breakdown Wednesday's podcast when Mark Sessler returns from Coachella.
Speaker 1: I did watch the Boy Genius set live? About that?
Speaker 3: How did you the streaming? Nah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, enjoyed it. I mean yeah, it's all streaming.
Speaker 3: I feel like Boy Genius checks all the Rosenthal boxes what you look for in your indie.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm a huge Julian Baker is one third of the supergroup. So I went and saw boyd Bridges five years ago in their first time time around here.
Speaker 3: You got Phoebe, got Phoebe Bridges, you.
Speaker 1: Got Lucy Dacis. Yeah, really will get the pop not as much, but I don't know if Julian Baker really does either. But uh, go go support.
Speaker 3: We save this for the Boy Genius podcast. Maybe we will. Let's get to it. Let's get to it all right. This is i P. This is our i P. It's our tech. It is the wheel O Mattic random randomizer and with the draft. Well, okay, that's a game show type.
Speaker 4: You wanted more dystopian like, quite honest.
Speaker 3: But it's fine. We're gonna keep moving forward, no issue.
Speaker 1: Keep that Harlot Bridget out of here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's that is your main job. Don't worry about anything else. Justin for the balance of the program, Let's just keep the wheel o Mattic as the as the ip here. We're gonna spin the wheel and wherever the wheel lands. And this is legit, like, we have no idea what is going to happen. Justin, it's going to spin. It's going to land on a team, and we are going to immediately dive into a conversation in that team's biggest needs as the draft approaches. Pretty straightforward, let's get it, okay, spin it. Anything we need to know justin, the wheel is random.
Speaker 6: That's all you need to know.
Speaker 3: The Houston Texans are the first team up. I was reading boys Peter King's column. He has a popular, venerable column called Monday Morning something or other. What's it called now? Football Morning in America used to be Monday Morning Quarterback.
Speaker 4: You know?
Speaker 3: You know Peter King, right, great.
Speaker 4: Sure familiar with his work.
Speaker 3: King talking, you know in his latest he is a legend breaking down He's talked to a bunch of people in the know. Everyone's certain at this point that Bryce Young is going number one to the Panthers. That is what he's hearing. So then it becomes the number two pick C. J. Stroud. There are whispers, there are whispers out there that they are not going to take Stroud or maybe even pick at number two. What do they need to do, Greg? What are the biggest needs for Houston? Obviously QB is one.
Speaker 1: I mean QB is the one. Yeah, So that's why passing on a QB at two would be compelling. But they could trade bals.
Speaker 3: Because they passed on a quarterback last year when they had two high value picks as well.
Speaker 1: Right, I would think it'd be in borderline insane unless they got their quarterback another way. For instance, our friend over at established the run Evan Silva has them trading taking Will Anderson two and then trading into three with the Cardinals and taking Will Levis there. There's some buzz that there may be not a Stroud team. We'll see. Nick Cassario spoke on Monday as we're taping this and insisted the reports that he might not be there after the draft are untrue.
Speaker 3: It's like the DiCaprio character in Wolf of ball Street said. He referenced that just me and Casario on the same wavelength.
Speaker 1: So he's not going anywhere. Apparently at this point, it would be insane for him to not have a quarterback after three years, because you look at the rest of their roster, they have so many needs. He's done very little good work in the last two years other than firing two head coaches.
Speaker 4: I got a little insight into their decision making when Steve Whysh had an interview with Dimiko at the league meeting not too long ago, and Dimiko's quote was, there's two really good quarterbacks that we both feel great about. But the question is how much is the gap do they see between quarter back one and quarterback two? And I think if they wanted to trade out, it shouldn't be that difficult because teams do have a favorite between Levis and Richardson and maybe Stroud, Like all of these other things, you're gonna want to get your favorite, and so Arizona isn't in the market right and so there's a path ahead. But I think right they do have a need for a star defensive player, and Will Anderson is there they could do that. I don't think it's that much of a stretch where if they say, look like, we think CJ is good, but is he number two overall good? And the draft history since twenty ten says if you take a defender in the top three, you're probably more likely to get Pro Bowls, playoff wins, all these other things than the second quarterback off the board. Those drafts don't have anything to do with this draft, but I think there's a case to be made.
Speaker 1: As a reminder, they have the twelfth overall pick from the Deshaun Watson trade. That's the Browns pick, So if they wanted to trade back up, they're not far away. And if they wanted to wait and take the first wide receiver off the board, for instance, they could probably do that too, because they need a lot of help at wide receiver too.
Speaker 3: Right Brandon Cooks was moved into trade, so that is now, of course, and we were talking about it last week with Eric Edholm. The wide receiver class, there's definitely talent here is their first round talent.
Speaker 1: You could take Smith and Jigba there wouldn't be crazy. Maybe you could take Anthony Richardson in there, who knows who they would like as their number two.
Speaker 3: If I'm a Texans fan, who I'm dying for that? Like Commanders fans are rejoicing because they feel like the future now gets to begin and it's bright. And with Houston Texans fans, you know, ever since Watson said I wanted to be traded then all the scandal broke, it's just been a dark cloud over this organization. And if they went through a second straight draft cycle with a premium pick and said, no, we're not taking the quarterback, I don't think that happens. Right, This doesn't end with them not having a quarterback in the first round.
Speaker 1: No, because Davis Mills is still their quarterback. They never did sign a veteran, so has to They need edge players, like that's what I mean. They need defensive linemen. No, they need a center. I mean they still have one of the worst rosters in the league.
Speaker 3: At really a point, they have the artillery to get creative and move around the first round board and get maybe that big pass rusher and get a quarterback in the middle of the round or in the top ten.
Speaker 4: Still you can get back into the back into the top ten and like you're not taking will Levis number two overall, but you can feel better about that at seven or eight.
Speaker 3: Or even nine, they are in the they are in the cat birds seat to be? Is that what it is?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 4: What do we call it that?
Speaker 3: It's a weird term. I'm not going to use it ever again. To come out of Thursday night as a big winner because they could have a quarterback people are really intrigued by. And then the top wide receiver on the board and everybody's like, oh, yeah, the Texans are doing things unless they overthink things. Let's see what happens. Spin it good start, good start.
Speaker 1: Speaking of and these are all totally random.
Speaker 3: That is interesting.
Speaker 1: I'm sure apparently we could try to put our finger on the scale. Justin gave us that option, strangely off Mic, which was bizarre.
Speaker 4: This establishment would do that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was offended that Justin would even give us the option to to kind of betray our listeners in such a man.
Speaker 1: He was like, if you really need one team that needs to come up, I could like move it up. Because he pre did all this.
Speaker 3: It's like, what.
Speaker 6: It is random the order, but we could play with the order.
Speaker 1: Because it's like it's it's it's all legit like the democracy. But if you wanted, we could stuff the ballot box.
Speaker 3: I mean, I give you an idea for a social video that involves the producer prominently, because I know our producers like that. A clip of right before we started having when you have that conversation and then this conversation during the show itself.
Speaker 6: Okay, that sounds like a pretty good note of that, and I think that would be.
Speaker 1: Again, you do like to put little clips up of when we mess up, when we step into it.
Speaker 3: It's time.
Speaker 6: The intro of this show that didn't get taped will probably be on social media.
Speaker 3: Unbelievable, what content, I mean the listeners. What a joy to have our hard working team always delivering the dagger. The Washington Commanders is where that wheel landed. So we just talked about this team that has been revitalized by the report. And it's not official, official, but it appears to be official, not official, but it appears to be happening that Daniel Snyder is finally out of the picture after twenty five tumultuous years. The Commanders have needs Patrick, They need a quarterback right That to me is at the top of the list. But some people don't think that. Some people think Sam how is a guy to get behind here. Well, when you go back and you consider the way that we felt in that because it was the very game in twenty twenty two, and it's like, oh, Sam Howell, why didn't we get this earlier? But then you look at the numbers, it's like this was just Carson Wentz and Taylor Heineke lowering our expectations to an extent where we feel comfortable saying this. It's tough to project like what Sam Howell is going to be because there was a point where people thought he could be going number one in the draft and that ultimately didn't happen. But between Howell and Jacoby Brissett, like you get at least some way that we're going to see what Eric b enemy's offense looks like, and you get this idea because I think the biggest change besides ownership possibly changing was the enemy coming in and it's like, oh, well, we're going to at least see what this offensive group can be capable of, considering the talent they have on the outside. But you would feel better if there was a quarterback plan.
Speaker 1: Wait, I think it's a need but all reporting indicates they don't think it's a need. They're sixteenth overall. I've seen some trade up scenarios with them. They don't seem like the team that's going to do that. Their rosters is the type of roster you'd expect from a mid level team. They actually don't have a lot of screaming huge needs. The thing I came up with was actually defensive line, which is what they're known for. But they you know, Ron Rivera has not gotten any of his own guys since he's gotten there. They really haven't. All their best players were there with the previous regime. Chase Young's gonna be either in a fifth year option, we'll see if that's picked up, or it's the final year of his deal. Deron Pain's on a one year contract. Montes Sweat I think is on the at the end of his deal too. Jonathan Allen's been there forever. But they need to start finding like their own guys. Their thin upfront and at a cornerback. And that's the thing that disappoints me a little bit about Rivera in Mayhew Here it's like they've gotten it done and they've been respectable, but they haven't really brought in a lot of players since they got there in twenty twenty one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean there, you could look at their the back end of their defense as well. Cornerback profiles is a need as well. You know, I just are they really gonna do that? Are they going to go into this brand new, this bright new horizon era of the team with Brissett and with a fifth round pick? That would just surprise me if they come out of the draft night, like.
Speaker 1: If Richardson fell, like, they're a team that's a perfect.
Speaker 3: Example of a guy that they would be. Everyone be like, we have a new owner, we have this exciting quarterback with all this great skill set, Like, look at us, now, we could be anything.
Speaker 1: If one of the quarterbacks really falls past twelve or whatever, are they a team that could move up a couple spots or wait until he gets the sixteen.
Speaker 4: Maybe that may be the most likely scenario because let's say that at corner right, they're in a spot where they can try to move up into the top ten. If Christian Gonzales is there, say at nine.
Speaker 1: Man moving for cornerbacks is tough though, but it's what the team needs.
Speaker 4: Yeah, right, if we're if we're skipping past quarterback and saying, well, how can we get the best team that we can this year? We get a cornerback in the nine to twelve range, not staying and waiting at sixteen. But if that's the case, if he's if he's still there, it means those quarterbacks most likely were already gone, right, And so then if you don't like the quarterback, like why reach for one just because you need to satisfy a position need like twenty twenty four exists?
Speaker 3: You know, Like, I don't know sure, and it should be stated. We talked about this. I think it was last week early last week that Ron Rivera was on record saying, you know, their hands are a little bit tied right now with decision making until they know who they're answering to, Like, would that take them out of a decision as big as drafting a quarterback in the first round? Would they because of the unrest or the uncertainty? Would they go more meat and potatoes in this draft?
Speaker 1: Well? And thinking like what can help us this year right now? Save our jobs? Who can play right away? I'm telling you it's weird that there they're linemen, that none of them are signed long long term other than now, and then they didn't draft any of them. They could they could use another strength.
Speaker 3: You're disappointed in Ron because you think that's something he would be.
Speaker 1: I just look it. It's just weird to me that if you look at their team, you hate running the best players. They struggled in the GM exercise because their best players were all brought in before they all got there.
Speaker 3: Tough, toughy, all right. It spin the wheel.
Speaker 4: I like it so spin in the middle of the wheel.
Speaker 3: That's a graver touch.
Speaker 1: Watch check us out on YouTube. We're really hitting the hits, playing the hits here at the top.
Speaker 3: And you did not justin manipulate it in any way.
Speaker 6: Zero percent manipula I would I would never.
Speaker 3: Say that you would. In my heart, I know who you are. But once you introduced that conversation earlier, it does the seed of doubt is planted. Let's let's be honest, like that's understandable, and it's not like you're trying to do the best show possible, just like the rest of us. So I wouldn't I wouldn't even see it to something dastardly. But at the same time, you gotta asked the question.
Speaker 1: At this point, I'm a little concerned.
Speaker 6: I promised this process was one hundred percent random, and.
Speaker 1: We'll know that if the Titans are brought up at all, that's telling that where did just land?
Speaker 3: Sorry the Bears the Bears.
Speaker 1: Extra second round pick, but that's it. They don't have some I have some idea that they have like this huge surplused picks, but not really extra second, extra fourth, extra fi.
Speaker 3: What are the Bears need? What are we talking about with the Bears? They obviously have their quarterback, So now you're looking at a team the defense needs a lot of work, right.
Speaker 1: They are sort of like, to me, the team that needs to have the most meat and potatoes draft. They might have the worst offensive line defensive line combination in the league, especially defensive line, whether it's edge or defensive tackle. Like they're almost starting from scratch. They have guys on the offensive line and they're not like the worst, but they have a bunch of guys that you're like, oh, I would like to have a guy better than that guy. So it's not as huge a need, but it just feels like that's why they were comfortable moving down. I think they have kind of like the outside pieces. But they need just like a ton of big smelly linemen.
Speaker 3: Why can't they groom themselves properly?
Speaker 1: Well, if you're a bigger player, you're just more likely to eat and sweat.
Speaker 4: And I feel like Peter Skronsky smells just fine and he's gonna that's I have a long career side product.
Speaker 3: If the big men inside ever heard you say that, they would take exception to it.
Speaker 1: I'm thinking of that video, did you see, Jeff Schwartz I think was part of it. Sent out with the offensive linemen all ate as much as they could in one meal. I think there were a bunch of prospects to see who could put on the most weight in one meal, and it varied. They went out for like you know, steaks and whatnot. Sure one guy didn't gain anything. The rest of them all were between five and twelve pounds in one meal. One guy I think got up to it to eleven pounds and one meal.
Speaker 4: How did the one guy not gain?
Speaker 3: These guys sharing a hotel.
Speaker 1: Room because he because he didn't make it through the rough one, he didn't make it through the whole meal without having to use the bathroom.
Speaker 4: Okay, so the data is incomplete.
Speaker 3: That's a rough one. I actually.
Speaker 1: So I don't know what that has to do with smelly, but the bathrooms.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I don't want to, yeah, go down that rabbit hole, that hole at all. But like I've always I've wondered about, like the competitive eaters, like what happens in that realm? Like how quickly is that addressed? And at what level? Like what are we talking?
Speaker 4: I would say within thirty minutes, it's probably.
Speaker 3: And like what are we talking? Like what's going on?
Speaker 4: Non traditional means?
Speaker 1: But so Ian eleven pounds is crazy going from like three he was one guy went from three eleven to three twenty two.
Speaker 3: But you're not really what we're saying is you're not referring to body odor. You're more like, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, just a little bit everything. But yeah, if here are there, here's their starting defensive line on paper. Maybe I don't even know who who would be, but Justin Jones, Andrew Billings, DeMarcus Walker, Trevis Gibson, maybe throwing a Rashim Green Like that's four spots you would want to improve.
Speaker 3: It's a reminder that they lost relentlessly yah last season to get the number one overall pick and the need.
Speaker 1: Team and the offensive line is like they have guys they know and they're okay, but they could all be a little.
Speaker 4: Better, and the needs aren't necessarily as bad because having the quarterback right convinces you that things aren't as bad as they could be. Like if you we put Justin Fields on the Houston Texans, we feel completely different about the state and direction of the franchise, and so it's not as bad as it was. But I think at nine, right when we're talking about what they do coming up here in a week and change, I think it's literally, I really it's a cliche, but the best player available. And I don't know if they reach for alignment just because like it's a particular team need.
Speaker 3: It's pretty good we're here, it's a pretty good offensive lineman class.
Speaker 1: I feel like they're a spot at nine where they could either take the top tackle or maybe it's like the second or third edge player.
Speaker 3: I think I think you're right, though, Greg. I think this will be seen as like the Bears look to the trenches to build around Justin Fields and to improve that defense. That's where we see this one going. All right, what else, let's see what it? What has been random thing?
Speaker 4: It feels like Jets.
Speaker 3: It is the New York Jets. How about that. I had nothing to do with this. This is completely random, so don't take it out on me. The New York Jets, well, I guess they don't need a quarterback. Probably we don't know for sure, but probably not. I think with the Jets, you're looking at Corey Davis is still there, which is kind of interesting because I think it was a foregune conclusion that they were going to move him. They were very interested in Odell. I'm glad they didn't pay for Odell. I was. I was happy how that turned out. But I don't see them necessarily out at wide receiver. But I think that the top of the draft, and let's see where they at. They're at thirteen thirteen. I think that is going to be an offensive lineman. I think they are going to put focus at that spot and continue to hit it hard. Because Joe d for all his talk and everything you hear about offensive line with that team or the trenches and coming from the Eagles model of how to build a team, they still don't have a very good offensive line. And if they like it, guy there I think that's where you're going to see a pick. Here a tackle.
Speaker 1: You have Makai Beck and Andwayne Brown. It's like between those two could count on one of them. Maybe one of you also need a center. Maybe you're okay at guard, but yeah, a tackle edge. You know, I know Carl Lawson is still there at least for another year. They took Jermaine Johnson last year was okay, but I think they could want an edge player.
Speaker 4: And there's no problem with There's no problem with having depth. Like let's say it's a it's a Paris Johnson junior to that pick by the Jets, and then you get healthy Dwayne Brown right and healthy Big Ticket. It's like, oh, is that the worst problem in the world. If you have guys that you can move around in depth of the position, I think it's no.
Speaker 1: It's planning ahead, like doing this exercise going through all these rosters. I'm going to be doing, oh, what's it called projected starters coming out It's like the roster the Jets are in one of the nice positions where it's like, actually, you should be planning ahead at some of these positions, like edge tackle. It's a little bit of planning ahead, like they don't have a lot of screaming needs. It's screaming when you see Zach Wilson, Tim Boyle as QV one and two. Yes, but that should be that should be for harrowing screams.
Speaker 3: And maybe yeah, maybe we talked about a little bit last show. Maybe the Rogers thing finally gets settled draft weekend, That would be nice. But I really do think that is it's it's blinking right in front of the Jets to go continue to build out that line because you're probably gonna have like a thirty nine year old quarterback there, and you want to have some depth as well, because they got killed by injuries on their line last year as well. So got spin it, spin it a little leg, a little lag on it, the tech, a little lag on the tech there, justin we'll address that. Was that a producer issue or more just the video.
Speaker 6: That was a thing I could replace for the YouTube no one would ever know, but now might as well keep it.
Speaker 1: Kind of like like when wet us up at you know, starting a show, like no one would ever know it, but right but now they send it out on so.
Speaker 3: Everyone needs to see it exactly the comedy of errors that is doing our podcast. The Cleveland Browns are up next. Okay, what do we got with the Cleveland Browns?
Speaker 1: Nobody takes another team up front. I think like they signed Dalvin Tomlinson at a defensive tackle who I think will play a lot for them. Was a nice signing, but that was one of the worst positions maybe in football. Last year was Brown's defensive tackle and so they still need another guy they drafted. Actually a year ago, perry On Winfrey was arrested for domestic abuse, I believe since we last taped, So I don't think he's going to be in the mix. The Browns just can't get away from these off the field stuff and edge the guy across from Miles Garrett. I know they signed agbo Okoronka, who I kind of like, but I think defensive lineman.
Speaker 4: It could be it could be a reunion right that we couldn't make things work with and Clowney, but apparently that is no.
Speaker 1: I don't think that's happenedship definitely.
Speaker 3: So how about the wide receiver group, Yeah, like we like Cooper a lot. Elijah Moore was a smart move, but still a guy that has not proven in the league. People's Jones.
Speaker 1: People's Jones had a nice season. You can probably be any Schwartz, you'd probably be happier. No player has profiled any different than his than Tony Schwartz.
Speaker 3: Then, I don't know.
Speaker 4: Are you saying you're expecting something different from Tony Schwartz.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like he's all speed. No, I don't know, just Tony Schwartz hasn't done it yet.
Speaker 3: I need more than speed, I guess, But I'm looking at the rest of that room. Yeah, they could a wide receiver, like you know, and you are not as high on a general the general manager as I am. I guess, but I wouldn't be surprised that they come at it with a nice value add in the wide receiver room. I think they stay.
Speaker 1: Two People's Jones, will his contract will come up. It's planning ahead. It's they're defense probably needs more work.
Speaker 3: Defense was bad last year.
Speaker 1: But you're right. This this exercise is like you go through. Almost every team could use a receiver and a cornerback because you kind of need four of both now and the rules have changed. It's like very few teams have a good four.
Speaker 4: They'd really have to hit a home run. Considering that another team is making their first round pick, so it's like, where are we getting the upgrade over DPJ at wide receiver? Like you're going to need somebody to Really, it's.
Speaker 1: A deep one. It is a deep draft. But you're right. What are their draft picks this year? The Browns have two fours, two fives, but otherwise they're they're taking their their first after round one, two picks in the top onety second and ninety eight.
Speaker 4: Right, hope was if that quarterback can't play, decidedly not worth it.
Speaker 3: It's going to be real bad if you can't play, spin.
Speaker 2: It, Greggy.
Speaker 3: The New England Patriots, Yes, their draft picks are let's see what we got. I'm gonna, I'm gonna, I'm gonna start doing this a little late into the exercise. But they are fourteenth overall and then they pick forty sixth overall in the second round. They have a third round pick, a fourth round pick, two fourth round picks, Okay, three fourth round picks. Here we go.
Speaker 1: I gotta say the roster is like not bad. They're kind of like they don't have a ton of screaming like capital end needs tackle I would say is one of them. It's not like a lot of fun. Their defensive line is older and not great. They certainly could use a cornerback. They could use one of those nice pass catching tight ends. That's what I would like. I know they have Hunter Henry, but in the first round. Now on something splashy. Yeah, I mean Hunter Henry's give me one more year of him and I'm good. So let's take a guy you can have for five years.
Speaker 4: What about what about Darnell Washington? Too early to take him?
Speaker 1: That seems like a Patriots type of pick. But I would be more into like the Dalton kincad of it all.
Speaker 3: I did. I like the tight end. I was thinking that. I didn't mention it for the Jets either, but I think they would make sense for a tight end. We keep on hearing what a great tight end class this is. And yeah, you got Koseki there as well.
Speaker 1: I mean, the Patriots have four receivers. I think they are comfortable playing Devonte Parker, Kendrick Bourne, Juju and Taekwon Thornton.
Speaker 4: Are they comfortable playing Kendrick Bourne? Like, does Bill want Kendrick Bourne on the field if he.
Speaker 1: Was in the doghouse? But that is something that they do is take guys out of the doghouse. He's still in the roster, and to me, he might be their best receiver. So that's a problem, so that they could be looking at receiver too. But I don't I don't trust them knowing them though. They're gonna take some small They're either gonna take like a trade, They're gonna trade down and take some random guard. They'll take like an undersized small school cornerback that no one was expecting to go and annoy everyone. Yeah, it's like, like, oh is he under five nine? Go for it?
Speaker 3: I know. But that all that that glory day stuff when you had Brady leading the whole show. Like, you know what the roster is the as the kids say, pretty mid when you look at it. Yeah, it's just kind of like kind of Washington where it's not bad. Yes, they need some difference makers and not just some scatback out of you know, our Lady of the Hopeless Miracle.
Speaker 1: In their defense, here are some players they've drafted over the last two years. Guys they can kind of build her on. Cole Strange thought he played pretty well as a rookie. In the end, Mac Jones will see Ramandre Stevenson bar Moore, nice player, Jack Jones, nice player, Marcus Jones nice player. They actually you know, ZAPPI, we'll see talk into it, young player. If you can get three, if you get three good years of drafts in a row, and I would say they've had two in a row, then you could be yeah there.
Speaker 3: Anyway, Mac Jones gets traded. By the way, he's a fourth round pick.
Speaker 1: Patrick, He's looking like a at worst, the good backup they have. They're good at drafted backup quarterback.
Speaker 3: That's a way. Thursday night comes and we we hear Mac Jones's in your backup rink.
Speaker 1: He's got potential and he played pretty well in his two games.
Speaker 3: What about that Mac traded On draft night? They draft a quarterback and then Bailey gets to compete for the starting job week one while the kid learns and develops. Any chance.
Speaker 1: Well, I have to admit it took me until this last weekend to finally watch Anthony Richardson, and my god, I mean, give me some of that.
Speaker 3: Let's go.
Speaker 1: How could that not work? Someone with that pocket presence and that athleticism, he's a real quarterback. Let's let's draft him and trade Mac over to the Ravens.
Speaker 3: All right, I left that. I'm sure that's what Odell Beckham signed up for. Paul's right there, everybody, We're gonna spin the wheel some more, but first a word from our sponsors. All right, spin the wheel. We almost got the Browns again, no duplicates, tough on, we got the what Carolina Panthers? Yes, all right?
Speaker 4: So what do you do around Bryce Young? Is? I think if Peter King has said it, then by god, it's got to be the case, right.
Speaker 3: What are you taking? Shout to King?
Speaker 4: There?
Speaker 3: No, everyone detected sarcasm.
Speaker 4: There, No. The access that Peter King have has definitely supersedes mine. I'm not gonna come out.
Speaker 1: And they are saying a lot of like everyone around the league believes it's you know Young, now that it depends on the situation of the team. It's like I also saw everyone around the league believes that Seahawks are taking Jalen Carter. But since when has everyone around the league known what the hell the Seahawks are going to do. They're the most unpredictable teams, so you don't know if that's right. But yes, what else would you get with Bryce Young? You need a receiver?
Speaker 4: Yeah, you definitely do, considering you traded your best receiver away to get the quarterback. So it's it's a gift exchange gone wrong if you don't do that, and so the they're still there, that they can still come back and maybe get a Jackson Smith in Jigba early on. If it's if it's one of those needs based things, like if you would feel better at fourteen then than in the top ten, well just just go ahead and make the pick.
Speaker 3: They have the first pick overall, of course, then they pick two picks in the third what one pick in the second round? Thirty nine overall, and then they have a third round pick from the Niners.
Speaker 4: They can pack fourth round picks, they can package those.
Speaker 1: I feel like so this draft there, it's such a deep receiver draft, like a lot. I think there's a thought there's not a huge difference between like wide receiver three and wide receiver twelve that at thirty nine, I have a feeling there's gonna be some good players on the board and they're going to be looking offense because right now their top three receivers are Terriss Marshall, DJ Shark, and Adam Thielin This is as clear.
Speaker 3: As it gets for me so far though this exercise, Like what are the two needs for this team? QB wide receiver? Like is there another position that really stands out that they would out with their first couple?
Speaker 1: Now they signed Shy Tuttle and there's not a lot there. There's Eric Brown, you know, but they're pretty stacked on defense in general.
Speaker 4: So it's all often a team that's really hit on their first round picks for a long time, Like they haven't had a lot of misses in the first round, going back, you can go back before Cam.
Speaker 1: They actually have a good offensive line on paper. It's a different system about that. Yeah, they've been Panthers first round a lot of singles and doubles. I would say guys like.
Speaker 3: You for singles in the first round.
Speaker 1: I mean you want guys like Dj Moore. I think that's a solid line drive double, but you just traded him.
Speaker 3: Let's see Cam Kanwu j C.
Speaker 1: Horn Kanwe looks like we'll see.
Speaker 3: Derek Brown, Brian Burns, Dj Moore, Christian McCaffrey. That since twenty seventeen.
Speaker 1: Pretty good, pretty much, no no misses. Con was too early to say.
Speaker 4: I mean the streak right of guys who've gone to at least one Pro Bowl Shaq Thompson, Vernon Butler, CMC, DJ Moore, Brian.
Speaker 1: Burns, Vernon Butler. That was a miss.
Speaker 3: Yeah, never mind thirtieth overall twenty sixteen. I stopped at twenty seven to help your point.
Speaker 4: But I mean, if if we're go back, you brought him in, Jonathan Sewart, Camper, I mean, come on, Kelvin Benjamin, I'll give it to you.
Speaker 1: But they're going to be super motivated though, to have a good offense around, Like they're gonna want to give Bryce young as if that's him or whoever the quarterback is, and Frank Raig, who's an offensive coach, as much of a chance as possible.
Speaker 3: Dang Yeah, Going Cam and Keigley back to back in eleven to twelve set that organization up. They want to do it again. Now, spin it spin spin, spin, spin, no glitches, no glitches, got the smooth turn. The Los Angeles football Rams Matthew Stafford came out, by the way, he was interviewed somewhere and said, listen, not a kid anymore, my bod. But I'm all right, don't count me out. No, I can still sling it and I'm ready to play for the Rams. It appears they.
Speaker 1: Still don't have a first round draft pick. Yeah, it's tough still and they're there next year.
Speaker 3: They will potentially right next year.
Speaker 1: They do have two thirds because they got the Rams. They're a little disappointing, and they have three compensatory fifths, but it's thirty sixth overall. It's it's like they're saying, like, now we're more focused on the draft, but it's like you don't actually have that many draft picks, so they they could trade down. They they don't have any cornerbacks right now, and that that whole idea of like, well, they're not as going to be as injured this year on the offensive line. If you look their offensive line is still looks pretty terrible. On the interior, it's like the same guys that weren't good before. So that those are two positions.
Speaker 4: It's wild to have a one of the better offensive players in the entire league and then Matt Stafford coming back and what could conceivably feel like a rebuild on both sides of the ball, where it's especially in the secondary. We don't even know so rap's gone between between him and and Ramsey, like there was so much moving and shaking in the secondary anyway that like, what's the plan?
Speaker 1: They have no pass rush either, so like that secondary is gonna have to hold up. Our friend Jordan Rodriguez, basically reading between the line's been saying like they're almost punting defenses here. So I think they're gonna go as hard as that. Well, no, I think they're gonna go as hard as they can on offense in the draft. Maybe traded out They didn't. She definitely didn't say that, but it just feels like they think they they think they can have a great offense. Still they actually, you know, between cup.
Speaker 3: That's important you said that. Jordan didn't actually report that. She listens to the show. She's probably like Greg at all.
Speaker 1: But I just think they're focusing on offense and realizing they're gonna have to rely on coaching on defense, and so I think they're gonna be drafting offense too.
Speaker 3: Very good. All right, you want to do one more spin it, I'm gonna do twelve more in your mind.
Speaker 4: There they are.
Speaker 3: Hell the Detroit Lions. The twenty twenty two team of around the NFL. Love them Lions.
Speaker 1: Let's we got to make it twenty three to two. They're the most fun team in the draft, I think with six and eighteen because they don't have crazy huge needs and their needs feel like they're at God and they have two seconds too. Forty eight and fifty five. You know, the Rams like they would love to have the Lions. You know, pick if you're built rebuilding through the draft.
Speaker 3: This is a flashpoint moment for the Lions. They nail this draft. Look out, look the f out for Detroit.
Speaker 4: I can do some reporting here, let's hear it. Noted Lions fan and dear friend of our Cynthia Freeland. When she saw Buddha Baker requested a trade, she said, that's it. Go do it. Get on the phone right now and get Buddha to the Detroit Lions. So I'm gonna list safety as a need and say they can make that happen, because everything feels like icing on the cake at this point for this Lion's team.
Speaker 1: I think quarterback is not a screaming need, but is a need. So I think they have to be thinking about Richardson at six or if if someone fell at eighteen. I think tight end is indeed. Actually, you remember that guy brock Wright who got that one pass all season against the Giants. He's like, they're starting tight end, So they could take a tight end at eighteen perhaps, or use one, or use one of those second round picks. I think they could still add at cornerback. I know they sign a couple in free agency, but not a bit.
Speaker 3: They might like their tight end room though, because that was weird because Hockinson was a big lift I thought for Minnesota's offense, but Detroit's offense didn't really take a step back without him. I thought, yeah, maybe they're happy internally with what's going on.
Speaker 4: It was kind of a utilization thing. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think they need one more like dynamic receiver, whether it's a wide out or a tight end. Jamison Williams have been excited about him. I'm on Ray Saint Brown. He's great, but the their next best receiver after that is who. I don't know. Marvin Jones is there, Josh Renno, you know.
Speaker 3: I'm going full Jordan Rodrigue. I'm punting on offense. If I'm the Lions and I'm loading up they.
Speaker 1: Do, I'm going the other offense, okay.
Speaker 3: And I'm just built. I like that it's bringing Buddha. So we'll cover safety there via train its action. Maybe give up a draft pick. What are you gonna give up for Baker?
Speaker 1: You have two seconds you could if you gave If you gave up that second second for Baker, maybe even a third round pick for a Baker feeling good.
Speaker 4: Three, it's a little let's see if they move, little rich see if they blink.
Speaker 3: Let's make the offer, right, did you want to spend one more time or do we want to say goodbye? We're pretty deep into the.
Speaker 1: Show now, sounds like you want to say goodbye.
Speaker 3: I kind of feel like this feels like the right time.
Speaker 1: You did it with the Lions.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Nine, it's a kind of a weird number, but who cares.
Speaker 3: We didn't that was our night. We got to do one more, right you? Yeah, he did it. Good job, justin good producing there. This could be the best moment of the show right now.
Speaker 1: No, we don't need talk. Wait, can we just spend it again? The Cardinals need a run, they need everything they need?
Speaker 3: All right, we did the car No, but we can't do eleven. Okay, we're gonna have to go to twenty then.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's it's all coming to clarity. The Cardinals have their need. Their team need is a rudder and all of the requests for Kyler to be more mature have come into the They've come into clarity for me is because the things that they need a front office and team leadership to do, they would like to the quarterback to do it because they clearly have some issues.
Speaker 1: They have no they have no position. I would say that's not a need. They have two tackles that are like elder statesmen. I guess that's a future need. So maybe you don't need a tackle. They have no one on the defensive line, almost no one at cornerback.
Speaker 4: They need it all and they're about to trade their safety to the line.
Speaker 1: All right, I guess he did the Cardinals.
Speaker 4: That's it.
Speaker 3: Gas gass it up, gas up the chainsaw, grave digger. That's a good way to close things. This is what they need to do. Do you ever use a chansaw?
Speaker 4: I have, actually, after all that wind that came through, I used the chainsaw for the first time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you borrowed it from a neighbor, or yeah.
Speaker 4: Barred it from neighbor, tried to rent one, but there was so much wind damage all around that all of the rentals at multiple home depots were we're all out, everybody's renting chainsaws.
Speaker 3: Hm, Greg, I don't have to ask you. I don't think you're a chainsaw guy.
Speaker 1: Uh. No, that I had a little period where I would just like massacre young children all around the neighborhood. So that was a phase for me.
Speaker 6: I don't know about you want to use that for social too, all right, I'd rather cut it from this show.
Speaker 3: No, it must stay. Let's let's wrap things up there on on Kid Murder. We'll be back on Wednesday. And uh again, if you are ready for the Frank Ocean review that is on its way into your ears Wednesday, our second show. Three shows this week. Big announcement, big announcement Wednesday.
Speaker 1: That it's about our draft plans.
Speaker 3: Yeah, big announcement Wednesday. Oh where are you gonna be?
Speaker 4: I think I kind of know.
Speaker 3: Are you in the building on draft night?
Speaker 4: No, I'm not.
Speaker 1: You're gonna be covering a team or something like that.
Speaker 4: No, I may be like on standby.
Speaker 1: I'm on the bench right because we might need help because I'm going to jail for like three lifetimes now, right.
Speaker 3: Basically, every unsolved murder in the Los Angeles area for the past twenty years is now going to pin down Rosenthal. So we might need you Patrick, Okay, yeah yeah. Anyway, figure out big announcement regarding the NFL Draft on a Wednesday show. Until then, let's let's head out.
Speaker 1: I am absolutely excited about what's occurring.
Speaker 3: There. You go, that's important. Gotta be excited. Heed the call.