Speaker 1: The volume, I don't. I can't remember the last two days of a golf tournament where I was more emotionally vested in a golfer than Rory McElroy. And I wasn't rooting against Justin Rose or Bryson Deshambeau, who I think has done an incredible one eighty rehab of his brand where he was unlikable and now is incredibly likable or at least more likable. But I was thinking about this John John Middlecoff, former NFL Scout three and out part of the volume is that what makes Rory We know he's a sensational talent, but he's got a phil Mickelson quality where you can you can see him buckle, you can see I mean when he takes that wedge from a buck twenty five out and puts it in the water in the creek, You're like, bro, I hit my irons great Saturday. It's gokey country club in Chicago suburb, Like I what is going on? And I think what finds him, what makes Rory so likable, is that he is vulnerable and he just has you know, four double bogies short wed shot in the creek. I think that just makes him incredibly watchable.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think. You know, I think every great golfer, definitely in my life, which I've been watching for almost thirty years now. Yea, like the Tiger Phil era is kind of defined by their greatness or disasters in majors. Yeah, you know, when I was a kid, Greg Norman, it was a big deal to like have a shark polo when I was a kid, wear him to school.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: When you think Greg Norman, you think a guy that unravels and fails. You know, Phil is weird because he's one of the greatest players in the history of the sport. He's won six majors, he's won the Masters three times, He's won forty five tournaments. But you remember him a lot of times for finishing second. Yes to Payne Stewart, he blasted out of bounds at wing foot in the mid two thousands.
Speaker 1: Taking big risks. He doesn't need to.
Speaker 2: And he's like that in life. Right when he made the comments about the Saudi's after he took their two hundred million dollars. You know, Rory's this kind of enigma because and I thought today actually symbolized his entire career. Yeah, I mean, he had a couple shots that are like the most incredible shots in the history of Masters. He hooked a seven iron around a tree to five feet on fifteen, and then he missed the putt, and then he missed the putt. You know, and I can't you know, Tiger's got this torn achilles. He's like, he's like a nineteen seventies NFL player on his bed with eighteen million injuries. Can you imagine Tiger watching this tournament and thinking, You know, Tiger was actually pretty boring as a champion because he didn't screw up. What was the famous quote, like dumb loses more than smart wins. Yeah, Tiger was very conservative. You know, Rory dunks into the water, he Bogei's eighteen to send it to a playoff after he's right in the middle of the fairway three hundred and thirty yards. Yeah, I don't know where you stood. I thought, the emotional roller coaster of that three and a half hours, how could he win in well, in extra hole? I thought he was gonna lose. Colin I didn't. I didn't have any faith he was going to win in extra holes because emotionally put yourself in his shoes. He had to be gutted to try to gather himself and keep his heart rate down. He probably wanted to cry.
Speaker 1: Well, it's funny because Phil Mickelson got himself into trouble because he was overly aggressive. But and he would buckle, but it was a different kind. Rory loses confidence. You can see it. And there are times on that wedge you're like, oh, he just lost confidence. He said it a little bit on the green jacket in ceremony in the room, which I thought was really emotional. But yeah, I just I think, you know, Tiger was such a great leader, like he never lost leeds. If Tiger led by five strokes going into Sunday, it was over. There was one US Open against rock O Media, which I found that was stirring with Tiger. Also his last Master's win where he was an older golfer was stirring and really emotional.
Speaker 2: Well, Colin O eight was stirring with Roco because he had a torn acl and a broken leg. He was healthy. But yeah, I know what you mean.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I mean I just thought the whole spectacle it was perfect weather amend corner, just the galleries or the patrons, the intensity, you know, I kept thinking to myself, so Bryson de Shambeau was to shambles his I mean, he had a distance issue all weekend, but he was putting great until Sunday. And it was interesting when they interviewed him afterwards. He took a little shot, a little projection when he said, you know, I don't remember the Sunday greens being that fast because he was really off now. He all weekend had sort of a distance issue, like he was long or short, but his putting kept him close. Whereas Rory's wedge and Rory's irons were either remarkable or mediocre. Rory today, frankly, think about that, how good Rory is. He had one of the worst shots ever the wedge end of the creek. He blew a four stroke lead. He hit a couple of putts, but he was hit and miss off the tee. You didn't know exactly what you were getting from Rory off the tee, and yet he won. I mean, how damn good do you have to be if you just if I just told you what his round was rough off the tee, one of the worst shots ever, gags a lead, you wouldn't think he'd win.
Speaker 2: Well, I thought I mean Colin he blew a. He had a two shot lead coming in today he was down one shot after two holes. I mean, it felt like, is this gonna be Greg Norman John Vandervelt Immediately, honestly, you felt bad for him, like how can this happen? But he had a couple shots today that I would say were phil like over trees. Yes, I mean he had one shot over a tree, yeah, the bender around the tree. Another shot over a tree from the left side. He had another shot on the right side. He did get a little lucky. I mean, one thing with Augusta, you can't really hit it out of bounds. You just there's tree trouble, but it's not. There's no rough right so you can spray it a little bit and there's just the golf gods are on your side. You're still gonna be okay, So the golf gods are on your side. Through the first three rounds, he was the best player in the tournament by a mile. Bryce and yesterday hit that like one hundred foot putt to instead of being down three down two eighteen. But he didn't even play that well yesterday, where Rory shot sixty six sixty six Friday and Saturday and on front and on Thursday, Rory's four under heading into fifteen hits it on two chips, it into the water. So he kind of unravels at the end. But he had played brilliantly and it just shows you that, Like, to me, one thing that's fascinating about Rory, and I always admire the Michael Jordan, the Brady's, even the young version of Mahomes. When you win, you win big, you make all the money, and you just keep grinding because you're addicted to the competition. That Tiger was notorious for this, right, Stevie Williams's caddy would be like, you know, we'd win, and Tiger would call me two days later and be like, I'll meet you at the range of six in the morning. Stee be like, take the week off and now that this gets the Monkey office. But and Ry had already won twice this year. He won a Pebble, and he won the Players. Now he's won the Masters. He's playing by far the best in the world. He's better and Scott he's off, you know, Bryson. Really he's outplayed Bryson twice. He screwed up last year in the putts at Viners. If Rory keeps the pedal of the medal, he might not win every major, but he could win like six seven times. He could have a historic year. You do wonder watch the way he broke down. Is he just gonna take like a month to just like not do anything. He wouldn't blame him. But if he keeps it down like Jordan or Tiger or those you know, Brady would he He's the best player in the world right now by by a pretty wide margin.
Speaker 1: I think yeah, And I thought Bryson de Shamble. His game is just listen, I like golf. I played it this weekend.
Speaker 2: How'd you play?
Speaker 1: But I am hitting my irons the last year as well as I can hit him, just as well as I can hit him.
Speaker 2: You need to give Bryce in a lesson.
Speaker 1: His game feels loose, Bryce, I mean he didn't. He was struggling getting the ball in the fair way. His wedges were hitting miss. He got it in the drink twice today. Now, his putting saved him over the weekend, but today when his putting went, it really unveiled. The truth about his game is the putting kept him around. His Gay mentioned it after the round. His game is just not right.
Speaker 2: Well, I think the old adage is you can talk to a fade, a drawer hook doesn't listen. And when you play that drawer hook one, it goes farther and it goes harder. And I know he's like all the greens were harder, Bryce, and the greens that the masters have been the same since you know, Arnold Palmer was playing in the fifties. They're hard, they're firm. Your irons weren't even close. And he plays this power draw which today turned into the last couple of days turned into a hook. He is you know the thing with Bryson, he's clearly mellowed out and the YouTube thing has changed his world. If he was a football player, I mean, this guy is a blue chip out of high school, out of college, like he has an elite talent, but he is he messes with all sorts of weird shit. I mean, he's got special made club He's a different cat.
Speaker 1: Wikipedia Bryson Deshambo's clubs and I was reading it over the weekend.
Speaker 2: It called three D.
Speaker 1: I mean, he doesn't he uses stuff nobody else has used. He has been very contrariant. I mean I thought it was funny when they came out today. The build up was like a Tyson fight. So De Shambo comes out, he's all gladator and you know they're both power players, but Rory plays fast and Deshambo has more pace. And you know, like Jim Man's talked about this, he said, you know, putting these two together is an advantage maybe for Bryce and because he'll try to slow. You know, the slower player can irk the faster player, and Rory likes to get up, hit and go. I find Rory very easy to watch. He's the antithesis of like Sergio Garcia in his prime, where you just it was irritating to watch him. So Bryson's not that slow, but Rory just gets up, hits it, and again, the thing with Rory is just how remarkable he is as a talent to win today. I mean he is. I think he had four double bogies.
Speaker 2: I don't know, It's never happened before in the history of the master Chee. That's right. Craig Stadler had three once and one at in eighty two. That was the only time anyone had three. The double bogee for normal human beings happens a lot for pro golfers. It does not happen very often, especially in a major. One can sink you.
Speaker 1: The I thought I was interesting on eighteen, which is the narrowest t shot. So here was Rory. He put himself in a position that's where I was on. So I flew in. So I watched every shot the last two days and I was watching, you know, my plane landed basically as that it at Lax as the tournament ended. So Master's app is amazing. I watched every shot, just fantastic, But that I found myself on the eighteenth because there was a lot of tension during the last two days. But on Saturday, it's kind of like, Okay, you can miss shots, it's fine. When he stepped up on eighteen and he delivered a beauty, I mean he just crushed it, and I felt like, okay, it's his. And then, in typical Rory fashion, he ended up going, you know, to a playoff. Going into the playoff, I kind of felt like Justin Rose was going to win it.
Speaker 2: Do you get nervous anymore anything you do in life? Like as often you get nervous, I don't What would it take for you to get nervous. You think you're calling the super Bowl or I mean, something that you but it'd have to be something that you can actually, you know, feel comfortable doing.
Speaker 1: Right. I get nervous for my kids. I get nervous. It's the only sport that I get nervous is golf. And I felt that because, like I loved Phil Mickelson, and there's something about the vulnerability of Rory that just connects with me. I had been rooting for him, and this is not anti anybody else. I was rooting for him all weekend. Well.
Speaker 2: Once once Rose basically split the fairway in extra holes, You're looking at Rory and you're thinking, how can you control your heart rate right now? Because you know he's Rose has no pressure on him. If I crumble, I'm going to be viewed as Honestly, it would have felt bigger than Greg Norman because you had unraveled, taken the lead, unraveled, taken the lead, unraveled taking the lead. It's I would say, it was kind of an unlike a situation. I've been watching golf for a long time. I don't ever remember around where a guy unravels takes the lead, unravels takes the lead and then has a chance to win it, and then he's eighteen like he did. I thought, if Rory snaps it into the trees or overcuts it into the trees, it's very understandable. And then the moment he's split the fairway, I thought, okay, this he does have. It's obviously Phil as well. I mean, Phil, what a major a couple of years ago as a fifty one year old. These guys have I think we under rate especially Phil and Rory because Tiger suck so much of the energy out, like I think Brady did this with Peyton, Like Peyton's got a lot of resolve to him as well, you know, Rory and Phil. And then when he won it, he almost felt like usually guys raised their hands up or whatever. Roy's hit the ground and cried almost like clearly a weight had been lifted off his entire career. That's where I get a little nervous that, like this, does he maintain this, because how could the same drive because of the pressure and this has been a decade running and think of the situations that have happened, I mean just last year losing to Bryson like he did. Now you just wonder like can he sustain this? And like you talked about the Bryce and Rory thing, I think what's pretty special about football is if you're in the same conference as your foe. You know, Peyton and Brady were both in the AFC. Well, if you both win the division, you're gonna automatically play each other every year. Teams are good, you're gonna play ech other on the playoffs every lot. We get that with Josh Allen and Patrick Mahomes in golf. How often we never really got Tiger Phil. It just never happened right in the biggest tournaments. Yet we've got Rory Bryson twice in six months. It's now. It didn't quite play out as good as the last time, but it does feel like I would expect this wouldn't chuck me if we got this a couple more times. I mean, this is it was just really cool, even if it didn't live up to the billing. Like you said it, it felt like like Dana White should have been walking right behind him right the height and then and then Bryson fell off. But Rory, you just felt like the fight was still going. He's just fighting some other guy. Yeah, that was I mean, I think we've seen some crazy Masters. Colin, That's that's got to be one of the more riveting multiple stretches of a couple hours we've ever seen.
Speaker 1: Well a year ago, I mean we saw John Rahm really struggle. He you know, he took that live money, and which is fine. I defended live guys forever same. I mean again, our government is in bed with the Saudi's. Everybody is.
Speaker 2: It.
Speaker 1: There's a difference between blaming and judging. I didn't blame any of the guys. If you want to be judgy on them, go for it. But you'd have taken the money too. It's like Chris Rock's joke man are as loyal as their options. If somebody offers one hundred and thirty million and you can play half the tournaments, you're gonna do it. I didn't think it was interesting. On like Thursday and Friday, you couldn't find bryceon to Shambo. It was like, are you guys gonna put them on television? And it was like, come on, guys, there is still let's talk about this sort of division between you know, the Masters and CBS. It's the longest running broadcast partnership in sports. It's like NBC and the Olympics, CBS and the Masters. How intense do you think the division is? Obviously, like on Thursday and Friday it was like, can we can we show bryceon to Shambo here? Folks, this is getting ridiculous. How intense do you think and ugly do you think the division is between the PGA and Live Still?
Speaker 2: I think it's pretty bad. And I think, you know, CBS and NBC, they're loyalty to the PGA Tour. I mean they've been in business with them forever, right, I mean specifically the PGA Tour. Obviously CBS has the Masters, but CBS calls. I don't know how many PGA Tour events during the year. I'd guess fifteen, you know. And I think the problem is is you're dealing with a group that I mean, Yostra has a access to a piggy bank that's bigger than any piggy bank in the history of the world. I mean, they got trillions of dollars and so yeah, it's like they can lose a billion dollars they don't even notice it. It'd be like someone losing ten bucks. And I think the PGA Tour, you know, Tiger's very involved. Well, where's his ego and his pride is based on the history of the PGA tour. That's what made him a billionaire and famous. And I think they're just a lot of egos, a lot of money on the line, and I think the tour could get very lucky that some of these guys like no One. You know, Fox just did business with Live and they're on Fox Sports one, and I think they put the Duru Tournament. But people just aren't watching because any time you start something new, it's hard to get people to gravitate. I don't care who you bring over. I mean, Bryson gets more people watching on YouTube. And I just think there's a lot of bitterness. There's a lot of money on the line. Some of the guys on the tour that didn't leave are bitter because those guys, you know, Bryson got two hundred million dollars and I didn't get any. So I don't think they're any closer. I mean, I've heard him talk about this for two years now, and there's no light at the end of the tunnel because they're both balking and balking and balking, and I think Live goes well. We have some demands if you're going to take our money, and I don't blame them. I think LIV wants to do a deal with the PGA Tour, but they also don't want their idea that was Live in this team golf, which golf is an individual sport, just like tennis. It doesn't mean occasionally there's a tennis tournament. I forget the Davis Cup where you play doubles, just like there's a Ryder Cup. We like watching golf to watch Pete Sampers play Andre Agassi, to watch Tiger Woods play Ernie Els and Phil Michlelson one on one. That's what golf is. And I think Live and their money loves their idea, which again I understand sticking to an idea. The tour wants no part of it and their players aren't going to agree to a deal that like, well we got to play in seven team tournaments. What they got going for them is I do think you know, at least there have been articles and rumors that guys like Bryson and Brooks miss being in the bright life. Sure, and there's something that Live can't bring to the table. So when their contracts end and they've made hundreds of men. They could just come back right And let's face it, if you could do a draft right of the pg Tour, could pick one person, and one person only, they wouldn't even hesitate. It'd be Bryson. And if none of the other guys ever came back rom multiple time major champion Dustin Johnson brooks kept, I don't think it would be that big a deal, but Bryson is. I think they would take him. And you can't convince me that Bryson. You gotta let him keep doing his YouTube stuff. Just acquiesce the world's changed. Let him do his YouTube stuff, let him play in the PGA Tour, and I think everything would be fine. I think he's the key pretty clearly because he's not going away. He loves golf, n he's the guy.
Speaker 1: At any one point in my life. You know, I've said this about all sports, baseball especially, don't listen to purists. You got them, don't listen to purists. Speed the game up, you know, make the bases larger, take away the defensive shift, don't become analytic, you know, dependent like like yeah so, and I feel like golf and any one time in my life there have been three golfers I was really interested in. And right now the four guys, if they're on that I'm really interested in are Rory Koepka, Bryce and Neshamba and Dustin Johnson. There's a bunch of Scotti. Scheffler doesn't do it for me. I know, he's great, doesn't do anything, you know, Bubba Watson had a role, doesn't do anything for me. So it's just there. It's always been about three guys, four guys. Even in the Arnie and Jack days, there was you know, there were a couple of players, maybe a Lee Trevino mixed in there, Johnny Miller for a few years, but Tom Wisekough, you know Tom Kite weren't moving the knee. So I kind of look at it like I thought, this weekend was the very best of golf. You got the Masters and the Undulating Course, which is just and it's a picture. It's literally, it's literally a picture, it's a postcard. And then you had, as Jim Nance said, this is a journey and an odyssey in one day for Rory mcelright. I just thought it gave you everything. I thought it gave you bad shots, blown leads, buckling, picturesque tradition. And I will say this, Bryce and de Shambeau. His mood changed by about the fifth hole. You I mean, honestly you could see him that he started hurrying up, but he tends to have a slower pace, like he started to. It was at one point one of the announcers said, like, he's just he sort of lost his personality. He's lost it. You could just sense he was getting really frustrated. And I don't know, I just thought it was the best final round I can remember. I kept thinking about rock O Media, Tiger Woods, US Open, That's what kept flashing in my head.
Speaker 2: I actually think the Masters has really really benefited the last couple of years from Live because these guys only get back together four times a year, and because of the calendar, it's the first time they get back together. And this is by far the biggest tournament of the year. Yeah, so it's the perfect combination. And like you said, I mean, the weather the last couple of days just look picturesque. Having the superstars the leader board was incredible. I just think that this tournament in a weird way, I hate Live because it's just it's made my life as just someone that wants to watch all these guys play together. Like you said, I don't care that who makes what? I just want to see all these guys play together. And it's separated them. But it's made this weekend specifically the last couple of years. I would say, it's put it on steroids. And it's hard even for the other majors to quite feel like this one because this one is just. The Masters has always been big. It's you know, every human being, whether you don't even like golf, knows the green jacket. Tiger took it to another level. I do think though the last couple of years, with them all getting back together, it feels like there's now Bryson is kind of I mean last year he had the lead after a couple of rounds. He's been a major factor of these last couple of years at the Masters. Has added an element to this tournament that, you know, without Tiger, it's just hard. I mean, the golf, this isn't football. I mean, football wouldn't be big enough. I remember being a kid, USFL tried to take away Steve Young and Bruce Smith and Jim Kelly, like you need you only have ten to fifteen to twenty guys that really matter in golf, you probably only got five or six. Yes, I can't lose two of them, right, And tennis was very dependent on Federer, Joker and nat All for basically fifteen twenty years.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: When I was a kid, it was Samperston agacy and that was kind of it. Yeah, And it's like golf is not big enough to handle this divide, but the majors don't really care because their master's in business with the Masters's. It works for them.
Speaker 1: Have you ever seen what you win when you win the Masters? So the purse this year was four point two million. You get the jacket, lifetime membership, invitation forever, You get all these exclusive places you know that you can you know, only a handful off. You get to use the locker room of Champions, which is just all time great, but it's one of the it's it's I think the only thing to me that compares to the Masters is when the US Open is at Pebble Beach, where I'm literally watching for the course and Pinehurst is great, but I'm not watching for Pinehurst. Pebble Beach. US Opens feel different, British Open feels different. Saint Andrews and I think the Masters, those three tournament PGA Championship, to me just doesn't you know again if I'm around, But it was interesting. So I'm watching Thursday and Friday on vacation, and I went and golf Saturday. I was just like, oh, I'm into this beautiful day by the way, fifty degrees. Oh, it was just beautiful day in the suburbs of Chicago. But it was just one of those things where I think golf, even though you would argue it's not in a good place, it's got a lot of alphas. There's a little tension between all of them. They I mean, kepkn Bryson, de Shamble aren't tight that you can sense. It's pretty palpable. You can sense the tension between some of these guys because they're all really guys, guys. They're all very male, right, And I think, I don't know, I just watched this weekend and I thought to myself, golf's in a really good place at these Masters, at these majors.
Speaker 2: Well, I know, you know, living in Arizona, a lot of pros live here, and you know, I play golf at TBC where a lot of these guys practice. The live financial boom for the PGA Tour and these guys has been pretty incredible for the business. I mean, the top guys have always been rich, from Arnold Palmer to Jack to Tiger. But you know, my wife was showing an open house a couple of weeks ago with one of her colleagues. There was like four or five million dollars and the people looking at the open house, and the guy that was showing it is in the golf world and knows these people, introduces himself and realizes it's the wife of one of the caddies and she was looking for another caddi's wife. These are four or five million dollar house the caddies. And this is not you know, Rory's caddy. This is a guy probably somewhere forty to sixty in the world. These guys I mean Bryson or Rory net Jets you see. Yeah, the sixtieth guy ain't going to the commercial airport. So the wealth on the golf tour right now has never been top down, and it's an incredible time to be involved. As a high end, top one hundred golfer. You are an immediate millionaire and your caddi's doing well well your caddy.
Speaker 1: And also with Bryson being a YouTube sensation, everybody now understands there's influencer potential putting your stuff on YouTube, so showing a little personality is okay. So I think it's it's you know, they call him influencers. I think Bryson's an influencer, like he has the ability like a Connor McGregor in his prime, that if Connor was on the card, I would just go to I took my wife to two uf SEE cards, so I thought it was a great weekend. The NBA eighty two game grind is done. Now the real fun begins the NBA Playoffs. Love them, they're here. Time for drama, clutch moments, Steph Curry, Lebron joh dropping plays. I can't wait. If you're looking to make the playoffs even more exciting. Draft Kings Sports Book, as you cover, they're the official sports betting partner of the NBA, playing games all the way to the finals. Now's the time to back your favorite players and teams as they chase glory. So all season long, DraftKings been the go to spot for NBA player props. That doesn't stop now. If you want to make your playoff experience even more intense. Try placing a bet in your favorite player's performance. Will they drop thirty, forty? Who knows or more? It's your call. If you're ready to place your first bet, download the DraftKings sports book app. Takes ninety seconds. Lock in your bets and let's make the playoffs unforgettable. Here's something special for first timers. DraftKings customers that are new, bet five bucks. That's it, five bucks and get two hundred bonus bets instantly. Just make it a playoff run to remember. With DraftKings, download their sports book app. Takes ninety seconds to codes Colin CLI that is code Colin. New customers get two hundred bucks in bonus bits betting just five only on DraftKings. The Crown is yours.
Speaker 3: Gambling problem called one eight hundred gambler in New York called eight seven seven eight hope and wire text hope and y four six seven three six nine In Connecticut. Help is available for problem gambling called eight eight eight seven eight nine seven seven seven seven or visit CCPG dot org. Please play responsibly on behalf of Boothill Casino in Resorting, Kansas twenty one on over Agent eligibility varies by jurisdiction, Void and Ontario New customers only. Bonus bets expire one hundred and sixty eight hours after issuance. Four additional terms and responsible gaming resources see dkanng dot co slash audio.
Speaker 1: All right, here we go, Jason Timpf hoops tonight. We got a lot to talk about as the NBA Playoffs start. All the odds provided by DraftKings Sportsbook, by the way, when we mention them. So I'm gonna pick it up set. I'm gonna go Houston Rockets over the Warriors, And I don't want to do confirmation bias or recency bias because I watched them struggle against Memphis and need an inbounds gaff by the Grizzlies to save it. But the Jonathan Kaminga piece is really a problem. So we've talked about this. It's a highly sophisticated offense. Veterans work, Iguidala kd Andrew Bogan, they work, Steph Clay, Draymond they work. You can be a quirky player like Draymond Green and still be a catalyst. What doesn't work is Wiseman, Jordan Poole, DiAngelo Russell who's a bit squarely when he was younger and Cominga's productive. But you can't put them on the floor of this unit. Kerr is it's do not play coach's decision. And they're dying for length. I mean I watched them last night and Zach Eaedi is a huge problem. They don't have any length and here comes Houston. They defend the three mon Thompson gave Steph fits last time they played length. Now, Kerr's the best coach, Curry's the best player. I am not denying that. But and if the games are close, Jason, you'll take the Warriors. Their clutch points are great. They're gonna win these one point games like last Night's just a great example of how the Warriors can manipulate the clock possessions and get better defensively when they have to. I don't like this matchup. I was looking at the odds. I don't like this matchup for the Warriors. Right now, the Rockets are plus one sixty five again, odds provided by DraftKings. I'm calling the upset. You think I'm crazy, size, lack of depth, Curry dependent, what say you?
Speaker 4: I don't want to see you're crazy. I think this is let's just put it this way. I think that a defensive minded Rockets team is more capable of beating Golden State than say, a defensive minded Magic team is capable of beating Boston.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 4: That said, I think that the other side of the floor is where it's going to become a problem. I have no doubts that Houston is going to cause problems for Golden States offense. In their last four games, they've held them to one hundred and five or fewer, and all four of them they've held them below one hundred three times.
Speaker 1: Yea.
Speaker 4: They they have a bunch of different things that they do that bother them. They put Alburn Shangoon on Moses Moody, which is really smart because it allows them to put all of their three best perimeter defenders on Draymond, Jimmy and Steph and just switch any action that involves those three. Aman Thompson is one of the most gifted athletes in terms of foot speed in the league.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, and the the Rockets have a zone look that worked really well against the against the Warriors a couple of weeks ago.
Speaker 2: There.
Speaker 4: I have no doubts that the Rockets will be able to drag the Warriors offense down into the mud. Here's the problem. I think the war I think the Warriors defense is nearly as good as Houston's defense, and I think that they are more of doing more damage to a Shanng Gooon, Jalen Green Fred Vanvliet led offense than the Rockets can do to the Warriors on the other end of the floor. I would not be surprised if it's a longer series. As a Lakers fan, I hope that it's very physical and that it wears them down. But I just have a really hard time believing that the Rockets are going to be able to score enough now to beat the Warriors four times now.
Speaker 1: They have shot better in the second half of the season. They have, so there was here's the thing, explain the coaminga piece. So listen. I was told this year's ago by an NFL executive. He says, be very careful about the last twenty games of the season. You're going to see teams with winning streaks. Half the league's tanking, and half the league is resting starters for the playoffs. So the Clippers go on this great last fifteen games and the Warriors have that energy when Jimmy Butler arrives and they're playing bad teams and they're just rolling people, and you're like, oh my god. And I fell for it, and I said, oh wait till Kaminga comes back. It was about three games with kaming in this group, and Steve Kerr's like, yeah, I'm not. I don't why doesn't it work with him? Because I could argue he's exactly what they need against Houston size, athletic ability, length. They look small last night against Memphis.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, right when the Jimmy trade went down, one of my initial takeaways was this is the end of Jonathan Kaminga in his time with the Golden State Warriors in terms of just him being a meaningful contributor to this team. The thing is is they were banking on Jonathan Kaminga becoming that player for the Warrior, of becoming the Jimmy Butler type of player for the Warriors, the big forward that they could put next to Draymond, that would be the scoring pop alongside the starters. As soon as they got Jimmy, they no longer had a role for him anymore. You want to know why Kerr went with Gie Santos last night. It's because Gi Santos plays the same position, but he can count on Gee to not do anything stupid, to just play super hard, to grab every rebound he can get, to take a why open catch and shoot three. Jonathan Kaminga's upside is on the ball if you clear the side for him and you let him go one on one facing up eighteen feet from the basket. He has a lot of potential in the long term to be very good at that, but he's not good enough at it now to take reps away from Steph and away from Jimmy, and so all they need from him is to play defense, to knock down wide open catch and shoot threes, and to play in their read and react in the half court. And he's not very good at any of those three things. And so it just is kind of like a death sentence in that regard for his role here. And I do think that it's probably in the best interest of everybody involved after this season is over to look to move on from Kminga. That said, you made a very interesting point specifically about this matchup. I understood the case for the DNPS with Kaminga for the last couple of games, super important games. You need higher floor, lower ceiling, like you need fewer mistakes. Yes, you couldn't take a risk with mistakes in those games. Sounderstood that case specifically for this matchup with Houston. They are so big and so athletic that I think it could. I think it could be a Jimmy Butler and Jonathan Kaminga type of series. I think the two of them and their athletic advantages could be something they have to lean on a lot, especially if the perimeter defense of Houston wears steph down over the course of the series. So if I was Kerr, I would definitely give Kaminga some burn here in the first couple games of this series, just to see what he's got. Now, if he's terrible, bail on him, go back to your rotation that you used in the last couple of games. But I think he's an asset as an athlete that you can't afford to keep in your back pocket for a series like this.
Speaker 1: And the Rockets are first of all, they defend the three, they got the best athlete in the series, and they rebound really well. They're gonna get if Kaminga doesn't play a lot they're gonna get second, They're gonna get a lot offensive rebound. They're gonna win offensive rebounding throughout this series. Looney's gonna play a lot. You're gonna have to play him. If you don't play kaminga a lot, you're giving up. You're gonna give up the glass. And you can win a series losing on the you know, in the in the world we play in now, you know, Boston can lose the rebounding battle and hit twenty eight threes and they win the game by fifteen. But I'll tell you, I think Houston. I think I think Houston's really gonna challenge him, and I think they're going to be low scoring. I think the one advantage that is clear cut, and you saw it last night with the Warriors, they're so good with two twenty to play in a tie game, they are they just know. I mean it's almost like, I mean, you know, people grabbing and clutching staph and you have to be more careful late because they may call a foul, and it's just they just figure out ways to get Steph really good looks. It's almost like red zone offense in the NFL, where it's cluttered and jammed, and yet the good teams find open people. I mean, he just I watched them, and I like last night they had a great game plan, jump out to a sixteen point lead, eighteen point lead, twenty point lead, but in the end, you're like, they just don't have bodies. They look incredibly small. Uh, And I just think that size is gonna make I think they're the close games Golden State wins, but I'm gonna give Houston a couple of games where they just dominate the glass. The Warriors look tired and they blow them out. It'll be a weird looking series.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I said something similar in my series preview, like I wouldn't be surprised if there was a game either early in the series, like a Game one or like a Game five with the Warriors are up three to one where the Rockets just beat the heck out of them and win by like twenty five thirty points that get going in transition, they look super athletic. I'm with you overall with the Warriors in the sense that, like there was this stretch post deadline where they were beating everybody, and yeah, the schedule was weak, but then they got a couple of impressive wins. You beat a decent Memphis team, you beat a Nuggets team without Jamal Murray, you beat that Lakers team that was one of the biggest wins that they had all season. That was a big, nationally televised, super important game for both teams that they won. But then after that, it's like they lose to Houston, they lose to San Antonio, they beat Portland, but then they lose to the Clippers at home in a must win game. And then last night for stretches, they looked on impressive as they were trailing in the fourth quarter. So I'm kind of it up in the air with the Warriors in general now because it's hard to tell how good they really are when they killed everybody for like two months, and then for the last two weeks they've looked pretty unimpressive. So I'm kind of up in the air with them. The main reason why I've been dropping them down in terms of where i'd rank them among contenders is I don't trust their shooting. Their shooting can go ice cold around Steph Curry, and then as you mentioned, they're a little bit vulnerable to size and physicality, which I think can cause some problems for them. I viewed them as a little bit more of a flawed contender now than I did two weeks ago.
Speaker 1: All Right, Lakers all odds provided by DraftKings are minus one ninety five against the Tea Wolves. I think this is a very favorable Laker matchup, and I think it's pretty obvious the Timberwolves outside of He's gonna have to score forty in a couple of these games. Julius Randall has historically kind of the classic, plays hard, plays with energy, very successful in the regular season, but everybody in the postseason plays with energy, and he comes right back. The regressions clear. He's a B player who plays with a energy and that is really valuable in the regular season, and then you get to the postseason and everybody's got equal time off and he's a B player and doesn't create sometimes can get a little ball selfish, go Bears, not an offensive player. Mike Conley's a play initiator but doesn't provide much offense. And the Lakers are the rare team. I mean, Boston may be the only team in the league that does this, that has three playmakers and three play initiators and at any one time can have the three best offensive players playing well on the floor. I don't think it's a good matchup for Minnesota at all. This was the bad draw in my opinion for the t Wolves. What do you think?
Speaker 4: I totally agree. I think there's a basic talent argument you can make for LA, which is like, who's better at or Luca? You're taking Luca. Who's better Lebron or Julius Randall? You're taking Lebron. Who's better Austin Reeves or a Jaden McDaniels or a Rudy Gobert or Dante DiVincenzo. You're taking Austin Reeves. So I think I think the Lakers top three guys are just better, and I think that that could be enough to make the case. Where I think it gets really interesting is the Timberwolve's greatest strength on defense is their combination of perimeter defenders and Rudy Gobert at the rim, and the Lakers can neutralize that. Unfortunately, as we saw in the Western Conference Finals last year, the best perimeter defender on Minnesota, Jaden McDaniels, can't guard Luca. He's too skinny. Luca can just throw him around like a rag doll. None of the perimeter defenders on Minnesota make Luca uncomfortable, and the Lakers with their five out groups with Dorian Finney Smith instead of Jackson Hayes, they can space Rudy out to where he cannot protect the rim without conceding a wide open three. When Rudy's on the perimeter, he's still a good defender, but he's not the transcendently impactful defender he is when he can sit right underneath the basket, So I think they neutralize him there. On the other end of the floor, the Lakers have struggled against spread out shooting like against Boston and really smart teams with speed like Golden State. Those are the teams that have really caused the Lakers issues post Lucatrade. You know who the Lakers have not struggled with post Luca trade. Defensively, the teams that they can load up on. You can load up on the Timberwolves. They are not a good spot up team. They are a team that you can put two on the ball with ant and not get burned. That's high level playmaking. It's just I look at this as a series where just all of the strengths and weaknesses line up in a way to where I think the Lakers just have a big advantage. This was one of the few series that I picked in five games. I think the Lakers are gonna beat him in five.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I feel the same way and the Lakers I could be wrong on this. I think they play as to defense as they need to. I think that when I watch them play out there are times I'm like, Oh, this is one of those games they really care about. And then there are other times I'm like, they're just not talking. This is one of those. They either all went out and had a nice dinner last night and bomba bino.
Speaker 2: They're just not that.
Speaker 1: When I watch them, I think they're as good as they want to be. Defensively, I don't think they're great, But like Denver's got limitations, there's just things, I mean, Jokic, there's just limitations. I think the Lakers actually have some pretty good lengthen defensive personnel outside of Luca. I think they'll they'll play good defense in the playoffs because they'll want to. They''ll want team when they want to. I think they're pretty capable.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And when you're as good offensively as they've been with their best groups. And by the way, that group with Dorian Finney Smith and Ruey next to Lebron, Luca and Austin has been torching everybody for a long time. Now that unit can really score the ball, so they have some margin for error on that side of the floor. It really is about Lebron. Lebron as like the orchestrator on the back line. He plays that Draymond Green esque role, just telling everybody where to go, calling out the plays as they're starting to take shape. And then Jared Vanderbilt, Ruey Hotchmura, Dorian Finney Smith. It's just a lot of six' nine rangy athletes that can cover. Ground i'm not gonna Lie colin like The lakers certainly have an uphill, climb and there are gonna be multiple series where there'll be an underdog if they get to the third and fourth. Round but this could not have broken better for them than it. Did now you only have to play one Of, DENVER okc and The. Clippers those are three of the most dangerous teams in The. West they only have to play one of. Them SO i think it actually broke really nicely for them. Here if they can take care of business against The timberwolves and beat whoever comes out of That Warriors rocket. Series they're right there in the in the Against Okay see in the conference. FINALS i think they've got a really good.
Speaker 1: CHANCE i said this the other. DAY i had actually somebody come up to me on the street Any it was a Former. Laker it Was sasha AND i, SAID i, SAID i, said the best Center i've ever. Seen complete Players kareem AND i grew up with. It he was a fourteen to fifteen Time All Defensive team ran the floor when he was, young, rebound, unstoppable offensive, force, cerebral prickly but could throw on. Elbow you, know Ask Kent. BENSON i think the player he went, after he could give you. Everything he was, wiry but he could be. PHYSICAL i think because of that defensive, prowess he is better Than. JOKIC i Think jokis is the second most gifted center of all. Time now people would Say, wilt But wilt was. Flaky you didn't know what the effort you. Got he wasn't easy to play. With you got different variations Of wilt depending on the night. Before And wilt was kind of Into wilt WHERE i Think jokic is actually a really good team. PLAYER i just think he's not engaged defensively all the. Time BUT i outside Of, KAREEM i mean generally with a, CENTER i can say shack, power, russell, defense a team, FOOTWORK i can say. SOMETHING i look At jokic And i'm, like, like If, KAREEM i, mean If kareem Or vetus s the Bonus Bill walton had a, baby it's, like you, KNOW i Think Bill walton is the one, player very, briefly not the Old walton with The, celtics who was, great but he wasn't as good as THE ucla or The Portland. Walton there was a time When Bill walton was like the best passing big, ever the best mid range, jumper ran the, floor could be super, physical kind of. Weird BUT i Think jokic. IS i just don't Think i've ever quite seen anything like. Him that's my. DAD i don't know If i've ever seen anything like.
Speaker 4: Him he's the best offensive Player i've ever. Seen Colin wow AND i have watched and rooted for two of the greats that have ever done that or rooted for. AGAINST i should SAY i Think lebron is on the short list of guys who are in that. CONVERSATION i Think steph is on the short list of guys who are in that. Conversation having rooted For lebron and then being terrified Of steph and rooting against him over the, YEARS i know what it's like to be on the other end of a player who like legitimately creates a great shot almost every time down the. Floor jokic makes it look even easier than those guys. Do it's the top tier playmaking piece that you get From, lebron the inverted spacing that you get From steph that creates all the dunks and layups right underneath the. Basket but mixed in with the lack of variants because Like, steph Like steph will have games where he just can't make a shot, right you, know that doesn't happen With. Jokic like if he gets into the five to ten foot, range it's going in two out of three, times like, Clockwork he's gonna make. It and so there's a lack of, variance there's a power element to. It he can kind of audible into different, players like it's, like, Okay i'm playing The Spurs i'm just gonna post up every single time down the.
Speaker 2: Floor watch.
Speaker 4: It watching This clippers, series we won't see as Much jokics post. Ups it's not his, advantage but guess. What he can run inverted ball screens and like literally play pick and roll as the handler out on the. Perimeter he can run two man game With Jamal. Murray his versatility and dependability night, tonight mixed with all the inverted stuff he does with the, SPACING i have never seen a player make it look easier on offense Than Nikola jokic. Did like it's it's rooting against him is absolute. Hell having had to do that over the last couple of. Years he deserves a good amount of criticism for what happened to their defense this, year especially in the second half of the. YEAR i thought he just straight up mailed it, in and you made some good points about how that might have had something to do With Mike. MALONE i agree with. You but even if you just take that and set it, aside he still had one of the greatest seasons in the history of the league because he's the greatest offensive player to ever touch the.
Speaker 1: Floor yeah it. Is you, know it's funny Because luca and him have kind of similar body types where they're in great shape probably you, know relative for the type for the, type But lucas got a lot Of hirk And jerkins start and stop to his game that gets. Open he's he's very good At he's just keeps you constantly on his hip and off. Balance you're never quite sure he's not, fast but he is kind of quick for his, size and he's always bouncing off you never loses kind of composure or the ball while there's. Contact but it's a start stop game that's. Hard you, know that's hard to. Defend jokis just sort of rolls into, you AND i think a lot of players they're Like draymond has said, this there's no real book on him because it's it's you, know in THE, nfl there's always that they always talk about that bad body offensive. Lineman Donald penn was known as this for The, raiders bad body so, effective like there was no weak. Spot he was weirdly, long and he had a weird ass and his shoulders were, huge and it was like a bad body offensive lineman where it's, like, yeah it's just defensive players couldn't quite figure out a weak. SPOT i think there's nobody else kind of quite built like, him that plays like, him so you, KNOW i mean there are certain guys in this. LEAGUE i mean just think about. It if you do the, silhouette nobody else had a, Skyhook nobody quite moves cardio wise Like. STEPH i think part of what he does is no other Big when you play, him it's just, okay this is there's no warm. Up this is the only guy that plays like. This And i'm not saying the league is, similar but there are a lot of, twitchy, long athletic guys who have similar moves that they've learned from camps and, coaches right and certain step. MOVES i Think jokic is a disaster to defend the. BODY i mean a lot of times he just leans in and you get trapped under him around the. BACK i ever see this when these big guys get trapped and he gets like three looks and you just Can't you can't get your hips aligned to box him.
Speaker 4: Out you can't jump when you're connected with. Him that's the. Thing this is why boxing out is so. Important when you box a player, out it keeps him groundbound so that you can come in from behind to get the rebound elsewhere on the. Floor, Similarly jokic does the same thing to defensive. Players he's constantly dislodging you and putting you in these situations where you are not athletic because he's disrupted your base so you can't, jump and then that way he just finds these little angles for these little release. POINTS i love the point you made about how the league is, changed BECAUSE i found this to be really. Fascinating so part Of Michael jordan's dominance was that the league was so big and, slow and so he was this lightning quick guard that he just cut through everyone like. Butter, similarly With, jokic the league is so thin and, fast yes that he's just a bowling ball that's just knocking everybody over on his way to the. Rim in a weird, way like part of it is just the timing of the. Era but to his, credit because this is the. Thing there are a lot of big centers that can't play in THE nba today because they can't do this or they can't do. That they struggle with, this they struggle with. That jokicic because he's good enough in all of these other areas to be a USEFUL nba, player can weaponize his, size and all of a, sudden it's, like oh, man there's four hundred and fifty players in this, league And Joel embiid might be the only guy big enough to actually deal with. Him and he's not even healthy all the, time so he just has a mismatch every single. Night because of the era that he plays, in.
Speaker 1: Well it's Like Derreck, henry the running back for The. Ravens as linebackers and safeties have gotten smaller because the game is. Faster linebackers are two twenty. Five Derek henry's to, Fifty so you, know twenty years ago linebackers were as big As Derrick, henry and now guys can't They Just derek is a physical mismatch and he gets a running. Start AND i do think That i've said. It the league over the last twelve years has become kind of the skinny jeans Euro, League like it's a lot of centers that weigh two forty three and he's just a load. Physically the