Speaker 1: Native lampod is a production of iHeartRadio in partnership with Resent Choice Media.
Speaker 2: Welcome home, y'all.
Speaker 1: This is episode seven of Native LAMPI where we break down all that's happening in politics.
Speaker 2: With a little bit of culture too.
Speaker 1: We are your host, Tiffany Cross, angela Ryan Andrew Gillim and we are still celebrating Black History Month, y'all.
Speaker 2: Celebrating, yeah, celebrating.
Speaker 3: Absolutely happy Black History. Absolutely we are.
Speaker 2: At this time.
Speaker 1: We always like for you all to be reminded to rate our show, Subscribe to our show, download our show, and most of our review our show. That keeps us at the top, top, which is where we like to stay stay because we're a little competitive out this way.
Speaker 2: I got bars too, Tips, I like it. I like it, ay Ry.
Speaker 4: What do you say?
Speaker 3: Standing on business with a Ry Tents Tino?
Speaker 2: All right, all right.
Speaker 1: On today's episode, we are going to discuss the long and windy road that is the twenty twenty four election. Joe Biden is being pushed on racial justice by black members of Congress and civil rights organizations more than one hundred to be exact. Donald Trump launched a sneaker brand because we were definitely looking.
Speaker 2: For that and maybe Maga Maga Red Bottoms might.
Speaker 1: Help him pay off that three hundred and fifty five million dollar judgment. Nicki Haley is vowing to stay in the race to the very end of Super Tuesday, that is, And with the Michigan primary coming up on February twenty seventh, we want to know, Michigan, who y'all got. Are you going with the Rashida to Leave strategy or are you gonna vote Joe Biden. Fannie Willis was actually cashing out in Napa Valley, according to the recollection of an employee who remembers her in politics are everywhere. Beyonce is in the top spot in country music because Black History Month is an amazing time to remind white folk that we did that first too. And speaking of country logic, Alabama's Supreme Court says, embryos are children. Stick around, and you know we'll hear from you getting into those audience questions. And it would not be NLP without some calls to action too.
Speaker 5: Let's go, let's get it.
Speaker 2: So we're gonna start off with Joe Biden.
Speaker 1: He's being called to the carpet on racial justice related issues. Members of Congress, including Sheila Jackson, Lee, Corey Bush, Jamal Bowman, and Barbara Lee sent a letter last week asking for him to pay more attention to issues surrounding racial justice, including on HR forty, which has been introduced every Congress since nineteen eighty six, I believe, first introduced by John Conyers voting rights, banned books, recognizing that the United States has a moral obligation for operations as well, and then Barbara Lee's Commission on Truth, Racial Healing and Transformation and to support that called out action NBJC National Black Justice Coalition, which is led by our dear brother, doctor David Johns, as well as David Johnes yes it is his birthday recording Happy Birthday, DJ, as well as more than one hundred other civil rights organizations co signed on these requests.
Speaker 2: What do y'all think about this?
Speaker 3: I would say My question is what exactly does racial justice look like? I do, just to be factual here, want to remind everybody that Joe Biden did sign an executive order on Racial Justice advancing Racial Equity. It was his first executive order he signed in January of twenty twenty one. He signed another one in February of last year, so I think that's important as well. But Mike, I'm gonna answer a question and throw it back to you guys, because we're not a homogeneous group of people, and when these executive orders are signed, it's a big tent. He's not signing to advance racial equity for black people. It's this design to it cast a wide net to include a lot of people, which I think is absolutely fair and appropriate. But what exactly, like, what are the tangibles that we're asking for? And I think some people don't realize that in order to achieve true racial equity and racial justice, it requires cooperation from the state and local governments. That is a huge point. It requires a commitment from territorial and tribal governments. So collectively, I think we have to consider what this means at large.
Speaker 1: You know, one thing, I just want to one point of clarity, Sorry, Andrew, I want to make sure that I'm clear about this. They aren't asking for like the equity order that he an executive action that he initially did. This is calling for specific action that is in alignment with some of those bills, So the reparations pieces, the band books piece, this is voting rights Act, the John R.
Speaker 2: Lewis Voting Rights Act.
Speaker 1: Because why Congress is taking no action, so they're pleading with Joe Biden to step in where Congress has dropped the ball about that, Andrew just wanted to clarify that no, no, no.
Speaker 5: I think, well what I was gonna say, I think there may be ten pieces of legislation that they are referencing back to in this in this, in this letter. The problem is is it doesn't appear, at least in my humble opinion, that Congress is taking any leads from Joe Biden. They're not taking any leads from Democrats in Congress, who, frankly, after the results of the election, what two weeks ago, Republicans only have two votes, two members of their caucus that they can lose on any vote in order to move anything. Tiffany brought up a really great point, which is local and state governments needing to also contemplate, and better than contemplate, take action in furtherance of racial equity. And we know in some parts of this country that conversation will get zero zero seconds, But in other parts, if you're a city council member, a mayor, a school board member, consider what you can do at your respect level with regards to bidding contracting guidelines. I'll give you one example. When I was on in Tallahassee City Commission, we had a guideline that required in order for you to compete to do bond work, which is multi millions, billions, trillions of dollars moving, you had to have been around like thirty years, forty years in the business. Well, who wasn't in the business for forty years ago?
Speaker 6: Forty years ago?
Speaker 5: It was a pointless in my opinion, expectation. And through a lot of hard work and due diligence and some standoffs, we changed that policy so that it looked more like what was required to get diversity included in that practice. So just know, at whatever level you are, there are steps you can take and furtherance of this idea of increasing expanding racial equity and racial justice.
Speaker 3: But what if you're not an elected official.
Speaker 5: You can advocate, You can advocate, raise your voice, go down and ask and guess what you might not even meet a resistant audience.
Speaker 6: You might meet people who.
Speaker 5: Just never considered what it might mean to have to expect for somebody to be in business forty years in order to do business with you right, and just ask the questions. Sometimes by just asking the question, you can move move some of this stuff.
Speaker 1: Speaking of advocating, we have some very active listeners and audience members. Every single week we have a question on one of the subjects raised in these letters on reparations from Monica William Harris, Let's roll that.
Speaker 7: Hey, Native Lamb Podcast. Monica WILLIAMS. Harris here from Atlanta, wanted to get your thoughts quickly on this idea of reparations in terms of why it is when it comes to the idea of reparations as it relates to the descendants of enslaved Africans, the issue of funding always comes up, ironically when it comes to other groups of people. In terms of reparations, there seems to be this unlimited bucket of money to pay reparations, and reparation absolutely do the descendants of those other groups whose ancestors face atrocities. So just wondering what your thoughts are in terms of the why there seems to be a bucket.
Speaker 6: Of money for one and not so much a bucket of money.
Speaker 7: Or piecemeal distribution for us. Thanks so much.
Speaker 1: I appreciate the question, and I think she sounds like she's on par with one hundred plus organizations that have asked you know, President Biden away in here and of course most recently as well, descendants of enslaved people who worked on the Saint Louis University campus in Missouri, nearly two hundred people, right, and they say, now that equates to more than seventy billion dollars in reparations. I think their following suit watching what happened at Georgetown. So this is a question that not only deserves to be answered, but I also understand our frustration around seeing other folks historically benefiting when people when we say reparations, it sounds like it's a foreign language. But we've seen other groups of people see restorative and repairative justice for harm done, and we never we never get our share or our say.
Speaker 3: And it's not just you know, specific to this country, but even the United States, the reparations they paid to victims of the internment camps during the war, for the Japanese internment camps. It was also the federal government compensating victims of the Tuskegee Experiment, which you know, obviously with black people Florida, your state, Andrew compensate victims of Rosewood, the Rosewood Riot in nineteen twenty three.
Speaker 6: But on a.
Speaker 3: Global scale, we've seen this done in South Africa they have set up a reparations program post apartheid. In Germany they set up a reparations program to compensate victims of the Holocaust. So it's really this shame on the United States to be so readily resistant to making this right, because we are capable, it could literally happen. And just to remind folks in brought up HR forty. HR forty is exactly that to study, and she was Jackson Lee. I have to give her a shout out because she picked up that mantle from Congressman Conyers. It is just a study to see to examine what that would look like, to examine the financial impact of what black people contributed to this country. And to remind folks the reason why the United States is a superpower is because of enslavement. It is because of cotton, sugar, et cetera. That black people picked contributed during enslavement that made this country a superpower. We are literally the only reason and we have never seen the wealth that we helped create for the country.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I just think it's good, great, great points to if I just add that the root word in reparations is like to repair, and to repair something means there must have been a breach at some point, and the breach was, frankly, the usury of human labor, the trafficking of humans, the usury of human labor, and the indignity that slavery and enslavement represented. And always simply saying is you gotta pay to quote Beyonce, you gotta pay me what you owe me. No one's asking for giveaways, no free stuff. We're saying you have to compensate the folks who did the work, who did the labor, who built this joint Angela Rii for free, because we're now saying, had we had our choice in the matter, it wouldn't have been free. It would have been just like the rest of your countrymen who got paid for the work that they did during that time. So I just think the conversation and reparations is so heated it causes such a visceral reaction. For you know, quite frankly, the majority community and even some of us really are highly suspect of the conversation because of what it suggests and I think part of what it suggests to people is that you got folks who don't deserve something coming again begging and asking for something for free. And we're not asking for anything for free. We're saying, quote, pay me what you owe, me what.
Speaker 1: You owe me, and speaking of people who need to pay what they owe. I want to toss to sound where black folks weigh in on.
Speaker 2: Donald Trump versus Joe Biden.
Speaker 8: Trump obiderup say that the business man he's gonna think and Biden is a racist?
Speaker 5: Who do you think it's done more for the black community? Trump?
Speaker 4: Bider.
Speaker 9: I ain't even see Biden yet.
Speaker 2: I know Trump was out, he was at b he was God.
Speaker 5: That's why he built has wall.
Speaker 8: Michael came over and everything. And you know we've been here for all the time and can't get are Hamburger and they come here get all this ship.
Speaker 2: I'm saying.
Speaker 8: So that's why I say, yeah, Biden, he ain't going to hensh it. So, but Trump, I would feel that he will be the better person to get in Biden.
Speaker 3: I don't think, honestly, I don't think we should play a lot of that. I don't think, yeah, I don't think any of I don't I didn't know that.
Speaker 2: I want to play some of it. I do not want to play.
Speaker 5: A whole commercial.
Speaker 1: That's why it is ridiculous, and that's why I want to talk about it. Because this video is very clearly edited to only cover the folks from Trump. This is in Chicago. I'm not at all supporting this. That's not the purpose of this. It's to demonstrate how much misinformation has impacted our community. Folks thinking that the stock market was better under Donald Trump. Folks thinking that our community did better under Donald Trump. Where is that coming from? And when are we going to begin hitting back? Well, Donald Trump now goes to sneaker con to sling sneakers because that's another way to reach black folks in the most stereotypical way. So if we can roll what happened when he goes to Philly.
Speaker 5: I just want to thank you very much for being here.
Speaker 6: It's an honor, it's an honor.
Speaker 5: Your sneakerheads, your sneaker heads tried.
Speaker 6: Wow, a lot of emotion. There's a lot of emotion and the real.
Speaker 5: I feel.
Speaker 1: So as you can hear Donald Trump gets booed. I'm trying to understand the timing of this, But interestingly enough, he starts to sling this sneaker just the day after he gets slapped with a three hundred and fifty five million dollar verdict in a fraud lawsuit. That's just the first of many, by the way, and now he's trying to raise money for his legal fees.
Speaker 3: Let me just say about that video. One, that video does not represent any real constituency. I think it's really dangerous to perpetuate that kind of messaging. I don't know anything about Black Conservative, whatever the network was, or anybody anything about who shot it or what the circumstances were, So I just want to make that super clear. And two, there are not droves of people black people lining up to support Donald Trump. That is a lie that is perpetuated, and we certainly do not want to perpetuate that here on Native lampod. I think the most important question is what is his base doing. We're not going to pluck five asinine sounding people from our community to say that that represents something it absolutely does not.
Speaker 5: And on those same way, is that the credit they were given to Trump are the things that Biden has accomplished. The best stock market performance in history is right now under the Biden administration. As a result of Biden policies pursued largely and passed under a Democratic control Congress, since they have come into into power, they have moved absolutely nothing in the interests of the American people. Trump didn't even know what the hell he was doing when he was there the first time. I again, I don't know if these folks were paid. I don't know what the hell the primer was prior to them doing this performative mess, you know, so that we just witness, and I'm pretty enraged because this is the kind of stuff that gets moved around and gives people the sense that there is a real constituency, I mean a real constituency out there for black folks getting on the bandwagon of Donald Trump. And I just got to say, I don't see it. I don't know what that mess was we just saw, but it is it is not evidenced in any of the polls, any other numbers, any of anything anywhere.
Speaker 6: We have our.
Speaker 5: Critiques about age, we have our critiques about the things that we want more of, for sure, there's no doubt about it. But what I know about black folks around this country, while we are not a monolith. We are pragmatic people and at the end of the day, what we're going to vote for are our interests, our survival in our future. And when given the choice between Donald Trump and Joe Biden against that matrix, there ain't no competition. Biden winds hands down every time. Now, that doesn't remove pressure from from from from us applying pressure for more to do better.
Speaker 6: There's a lot that has to be covered. I get it, but that ain't it.
Speaker 5: I don't know what he is, but that ain't Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well, I just think the danger of playing something like that, if you're not going to go back and fact check every little thing that they said that's wrong, then people do pull from that and think, oh, this is how people feel. So I just want to be crystal clear that we that's not what we're doing here. We didn't fact check every little thing, but much of that was a lie.
Speaker 1: Now, also, I think I did say that a lot of that was not true.
Speaker 2: I think Andrew just says, no, I.
Speaker 3: Know, I understand that you all said generally, but I'm saying specifically, if you go through each thing they said, Okay, well he just said X, let me tell you why X is not true and break that down, and I just I know we don't have time to do it because it sounds I love that.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Also, I also think that it is important to understand that there are people like no doubt, sound like that in our community. It is true there are breakfast club callers who sound like that.
Speaker 2: So I'm also not going to take.
Speaker 1: That away because that is your experience. It does not make it factual. And so that is the importance of podcasts like this, of platforms like this to ensure you do know the facts. Because someone put their name on a stimulus check does not mean that's the only stimulus check you received, right, there was a stimulus check in this administration. There was another attempt that Republican Republican led Congress block.
Speaker 5: I just I want to be of sound mind, embody, and spirit on this last piece because I agree with you that there are sentiments out there that are in some ways reflective a bit of what we just heard. But the cautionary piece here is when you see that many voices spewing that much incorrectness and craziness, it gives I think it may potentially lead people with the opinion that the constituency of that group is larger than what it is. And I hear people with those kinds of critiques who didn't derive at the conclusion that then Donald Trump was going to be the answer. I hear critics that I ain't have nothing done in my community since.
Speaker 6: D Da da da da da.
Speaker 5: I hear that, but then jumping to the logical conclusion, they don't draw the logical conclusion that Donald Trump then is going to be the answer, the cure, the balm in Gilead. He ain't that. And I accept the challenge of us following this up with a fact check, a mini pod fact check that we can circulate and make sure and hopefully maybe get in front of some of these people so that they know fact from fiction. If we were writting a fiction book, that'd be one thing. We're trying to live and today survive and not just survive but thrive. And this whole thing is a setback.
Speaker 2: Because we almost out of time.
Speaker 1: Like the point is, the point is to understand that people are they are playing this shit.
Speaker 2: On Fox News.
Speaker 1: I get they have him going to sneaker con There are ill informed leaders in our community, people who look up to folks as role models that carry mikes, not because they're in political debates, but because some of them are rappers saying the same thing. The misinformation is pervasive, and when you tap, you combine misinformation with experience that feels unjust and that feels oppressive. People are being led to believe that this is the right answer. I did them, and this is the same conversation we had last week. At some point, there has to be a wider gap drawn. The reason that these folks in Congress and these civil rights organizations signed a letter is because there has to be a wider gap drawn, a wider gap created. That's the bottom line there. It should be no competition, there should be no confusion.
Speaker 5: In my opinion, the bottom line is is what we are bottling up here are over four hundred years of systematic agree oppression of a people's And just as we sat in front of Barack Obama and asked him, as the first African American president, what are you going to do for us to cure all these ills? What was made clear then and it is true today that we can't cure four hundred years of oppression in four years or even eight years. And so I just think we have to be careful at where we lay the burden of this, that the burden of it goes across all political parties, across all levels of government. It shows up. So the reason why I'm okay with this letter that the civil rights organizations did and are putting before is because I think it is done one with good intention and obviously with great need. But what those folks understand is that that could have been sent to Barack Obama. It could have been sent to freaking John F.
Speaker 6: Kennedy.
Speaker 5: I mean, this thing goes so far back of the things that have to be cure, and they have and they have right. All I'm saying is to make the two options here Joe Biden or Trump to deliver us from all of that is a false narrative. Neither one of them are going to deliver us from that. What we hope they do is contribute to the kind of liberation that leads to all of us being able to be free, particularly those of us who have been in bondage and are still in many ways in bondage of systematic oppression. But that ain't going to be cure by one man or the other or two. This has got to happen at a systematic level, and systems aren't represented by individual people largely, they're represented by rules, policies, proceeds, so on and so forth. And so it's just it deserves a larger conversation.
Speaker 6: We have to unpack it. I think in a less emotional way.
Speaker 5: I'm getting hot as I think about it.
Speaker 1: You should should get emotional. This is our people, this is our survival. You should get emotional.
Speaker 5: I am emotional about it, but I'm mostly emotional about the mirage. Right You're in the desert and you think, right up here is water. There ain't no water there. There's no water there. And so when we keep when we keep making our demands appear as if they can be cured by one person, one individual, we do that in ignorance of the huge behemoth of a system that we must dismantle, that we must level. And those systems, while they may have figureheads, while they may have co conspirators who look like you and I are people, they are large baked into the cake because of the laws, systems, organization structures that exist. And that's what has to be leveled. And when I think about who's going to contribute to leveling them, I think between two people. It's sure as hell, ain't God damn Donald Trump, no idea.
Speaker 1: And to that point, I appreciate that Black History Month lesson in this very important Black History Month.
Speaker 2: And just like Nicki Haley is nearly.
Speaker 1: Out of time Nicki for her her presidential run, We're out of time. We're gonna take this commercial break and we'll be right back. There is a Republican primary coming up this weekend. Nicki Haley is still in the race, but we don't have time to talk about her race, and neither do the polls. Hardly what we talk about Angela.
Speaker 2: I don't think I did. I think the people have spoken.
Speaker 5: But Nikki said, I don't care what happened on Saturday. I'm standing in this thing. I'm riding to the faux flat tires.
Speaker 2: Plus you know they flat, both they flat.
Speaker 1: So here's what's not flat, though, the Michigan primary, which is coming up next Tuesday.
Speaker 2: I think that we need to talk about this.
Speaker 1: So Congressoman Rashida Talib, who is the only Palestinian American in Congress right now who has family in Palestine, who's been deeply moved and greed. It's grieving what's happening over there has made the following request of Michigan primary voters.
Speaker 2: Let's take a listen. That's just the way you can raise our voices.
Speaker 6: Don't make us even more invisible.
Speaker 5: Right now, we feel completely neglected.
Speaker 2: And just unseen by our government.
Speaker 5: If you want us to be louder, then come here and vote uncommitted.
Speaker 1: So you all will recall that in Nevada recently, none of these candidates beat Nikki Hayley, and it sounds like Rashida Talib is hoping for something similar in Michigan. I think my question is, if they're voting uncommitted in a primary, is that an effective protest vote strategy? And if who they got, like, who's their other option? Is that the same effect as staying at home? If you go uncommitted?
Speaker 2: What do y'all think?
Speaker 4: You know?
Speaker 3: I Andrew and I had a conversation one time, and I feel bad because I have quoted Andrew on this podcast. And then people start doing these little shared stories like don't expect the hyena to act like a lion and put my name underneath. That was not me, that is Andrew, but we sell it from somebody, so praise the Lord.
Speaker 2: Well, that's good.
Speaker 1: Because people be listening to this podcast is still in it for their own but I carry into.
Speaker 3: But I think you know, but I think the Andrew you made a really good point about black people and our imaginations and what it means to envision a democracy that serves us. And because we have been so oppressed in this country that we have always had to vote how we think them majority of white people might vote, We've never had the privilege of being able to pick a candidate who truly inspires us and speaks for us, save for the exception of I would say, for a lot of people president former President Barack Obama. So I will toss it back to you guys to say, what if not for a protest vote? And if we're going towards a society where there will be no racial majority by the year twenty forty, then we have to start getting used to voting for candidates, driving the narrative around who votes for candidates, But what does a protest vote look like for us right now as we're on the journey to getting to that. Because I don't want to just like discard people like Rashida to Lee for saying, hey, this is something that's important, but on the other side, I do understand, Hey, there are you know, needs that your constituents have that that have to be met, and I don't know how impactful it is to not vote for Joe Biden.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Well, the good I mean, I guess is for folks. I'm just gonna say we should we should frame that. What she's advocating for is in this primary, which are Democrats only and then Republicans only, and then they will produce a nominee. She's saying, when it gets to Michigan, and we're supposed to be voting for who we think got to represent the Democratic Party. And by the way, nationally, nobody's talked about who else is runing against Joe Biden. But there are other Democrats competing for the Democratic nomination. There are not any names that I can repeat here, there are, or so there will be other people on their ballot. Joe Biden will likely walk away with it there. Any way, what she's saying is is go in there and show that you have a problem with the way in which this war and uh in Israel is being prosecuted and the accountability that appears to be missing when it comes to America. Who is largely funding much of this. UH appears to be willing to exert over net and Yahoo, who has walked away from treaties, packs other agreements.
Speaker 6: UH that that that that have.
Speaker 5: Been hard fought and hard one. And Rashida, who is the only Palestinian American I believe in the US Congress, is seeing relatives, family members, her community, her people being largely displaced and really under attack.
Speaker 6: And that's that.
Speaker 5: That, by the way, is not to say that Israel hasn't also suffered greatly here in the process. But she's saying there's gotta be some love, some accountability here, some some humanity being exerted here. And I have to tell you, if there's gonna be a protest vote, I much prefer it in a primary election rather than when we get to November and we are choosing between two people, largely where one of.
Speaker 6: Them is going to merge as president.
Speaker 5: We gotta think, think critically about which one of those choices are going to be in our long term best interest for ourselves and for our children and for our children's children.
Speaker 6: And that's what we're talking about here.
Speaker 5: So I will say I don't oppose what Rashida is doing as It relates to getting out there and saying, Biden, you need to hear the death of our anger, the death of our concern, and this is how we're going to show it to you. But come November, y'all, we got two choices.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that's what we have right now, some upheaval at the chancy that we don't know about exactly.
Speaker 6: A choice. Booting is a choice.
Speaker 2: Yes, thank you.
Speaker 1: We're going to broaden this thing out a little bit and hear this listener question.
Speaker 2: I love this one. It's from a college.
Speaker 6: Hi.
Speaker 10: My name is Katie Baron and I go to Burbingham Southern College and I'm in the class of the Pillars of Africana Thought. And our question for you for this week was how do we incentivize elected officials who are working on behalf of black people to speak to this constituency and those who care about justice and equality more directly as opposed to spending so much time trying to convince those who are opposed to justice and freedom, particularly in black and brown communities.
Speaker 1: I love this question, and there's nobody better to answer this than our very own Tiffany Cross, who is the author of Say a.
Speaker 2: Loud of it. Tell them, Tiff, what's the answer here?
Speaker 6: Give it?
Speaker 1: Yes, this only give us a little teaser though, make them read the book.
Speaker 2: Also, we got a time critics out to make a flight.
Speaker 3: Yes, I know exactly. I'm gonna be real quick. I'm gonna be real quick. Here's the thing. When when politicians talk about they they're deliverable, it's like what they want to do for constituents. They scream and shout to every constituency about what they can do. When they talk to black people, it's a whisper and it's private and it's quiet. Once I get in office, I'm gonna help you' all. But hey, for the people who care about stem cell, and hey to the people who don't want people to have a choice, and hey to the people who care about gun rights, we're gonna speak to you loudly. They will spend more time trying to convince maga voters and quote unquote swing voter who I don't exist to come over to their side. Then they will to energize their base. So we have to stop that. We have to start leaning into our power and holding people accountable to make sure that that happens. Furthermore, we have to start pressing the media. I don't think people pay enough attention to the outsized role that media plays and elections, and media will often have people over and they'll ask a politician, well, you're running as a Democrat, how do you plan on convincing some of those red state MAGA voters or some of those MAGA supporters to vote for you? Why is that a relevant question to a Democrat running? Tell me how you're gonna convince me dance with the one who brung you. I don't want to hear how you're going to convince the people who left you a long time ago, the nineteen sixties, to be exact. So I think it's a two part role. One the media has to stop doing that bullshit because it is frustrating every single time I hear it. And two, we have to stay true and committed to our values and start tuning out the nonsense. And we can go directly to the source. We can go to their website, their page, and we have have to just in this age where social media has democratized who has a voice, we have to start holding them accountable and look for what ways are you advancing issues that are relevant to me my community? And for the greater good.
Speaker 2: I love you. Thanks. Okay, Andrew your favorite.
Speaker 1: I think that there's no bigger stand for Fannie Willis on this podcast than Andrew Gillim So aging got it?
Speaker 2: No, I mean to bring us home.
Speaker 5: Okay, listen, this will be this will be quick too, because I know we spent some time doing a Facebook live talking about UH.
Speaker 2: Life, Instagram, my bad.
Speaker 5: I look they owned by the same man, right, Kay, all right there it is all I'm saying. Anyway, we've all been I think enraptured. I know I was by by the testimony of Fannie Lue Fannie Willis UH last week, week before whatever, and then we talked about on the pod. Well, a lot of people appeared to be shocked when she said she pays in cash.
Speaker 3: You're a woman and you go on a date with a man, you better have two hundred dollars in your pocket, so if that man acts up, you can go where you want to go.
Speaker 5: So I keep cash in my house, and I don't keep cash as good in my purse like I used to.
Speaker 7: I don't go on any dates, but when you go on a date, should have cash in your pocket.
Speaker 5: She got a lot of feedback from a lot of people and maybe even some suspicion from those in the system who said, no one does that, it's not true. So let me talk to this clip where we hear from somebody who might confirm her use of cash.
Speaker 9: Stan Brody told me that he hosted Fonnie Willis and Nathan Wade at Acumen Wines back in twenty twenty three when they both visited this winery in Napo Valley, California, where Bonnie Willis put the bill.
Speaker 4: I ran up to saying, and I showed her I was expecting a credit card quite frankly, and she just I'll pay cash, and so that was that them. I just put the cash in, made change for her, and she was very generous to me.
Speaker 5: I love that, he added in the last part, she was very generous to me. I think we know what that means. But that was her way there too, who had his memory jogged from her visit to the winery where she pulled out cash and she paid. And I'm just saying for those of us who was suspect and we were like, nobody pays in cash. Nobody has that, y'all. Homegirl paid in cash.
Speaker 1: I was I was not suggesting that people don't pay paying cash.
Speaker 2: I know black folks do paying cash.
Speaker 1: I was more shocked, like you paid cash to the dude on a date Like That's where I was like.
Speaker 5: Whoa, hey, look, let me tell you that she bought on that. When she talked about their disagreements and the relationship and that she was.
Speaker 6: You know, is equal.
Speaker 5: She made the point and that's why I paid him back. I mean, she was pretty clear about that, and you know, I believed her then. But I'm glad to see that somebody has come out to say, in fact, I have no interest in this, but in fact I was a waiter. I was surprised she did it. I took that cash, and guess what, she was very generous to me.
Speaker 3: Well, I just want to remind people the person on trial is the former president Donald Trump, who we have heard numerous times on a phone call asking elected officials there to find him an additional eleven thousand votes. The mere question of if DA Fannie willis financially benefited from hiring a qualified attorney on her team with whom she happened to have a previous relationship is completely asinine when we're looking at what she is, what case she has built against this president and what he actually did, the crime that he actually committed, and we have evidence that we've all heard. So we spent way too much time talking about this black woman's dating life and trying to question her every move, and not enough time helping that the judge there makes the right decision by keeping her on the case.
Speaker 1: I feel like they definitely gonna call me a trump plant today because this.
Speaker 2: Is y'all know already.
Speaker 1: We talked so much about this on our Instagram live too. But I do believe that as an attorney myself, you have to be above approach. And in the Fulton County trial where Trump is a lead defendant, he has eighteen co defendants, so no wonder they're all in Fine's mix. But I do believe the issue here isn't just whether she benefited financially from the relationship. It is also whether there is a material conflict. It has since been broadened beyond that initial scope to whether or not there was a material conflict that means she should be disqualified from prosecuting this particular case.
Speaker 2: I think that that still is an issue, and the judge judge hasn't yet ruled.
Speaker 5: Sorry, Angela, I just want to say I appreciate you continuously reinserting why we're even here having this conversation about the district attorney, But also I want to be clear that the reason for them having gone down this road and the first place was, in my opinion, not because anybody legitimately thought. This woman is only prosecuting these defendants, including Donald Trump, because she needed money to go on a vacation or catch a plane or go to a winery. That is that on his face to me, is just ridiculous, But that has led us down this road where she's had to go into far more detail than any of us would like to about our personal affairs. And in this case, I'm just I'm personally glad that she has further validation that she was honest and truthful, and now we can get back to the to the reason for this case in the first place, which is the illegal actions by Donald Trump and all of his squad.
Speaker 1: Y'all young lawyers out there, be prepared for them to be all in your mix if you try to take on a big case. And in the speaking of mix, we got to be all up in ours and pay our bills. We're gonna take another break and be right back. All right, we are back with one of our favorites. This is politics are everywhere.
Speaker 6: And it's not.
Speaker 1: It's our girl, Tiff with the update. What's going on in the world, Tiff? What are we talking about?
Speaker 7: Why?
Speaker 3: I just want to tell you all this ain't Texas, ain't no hold them put them cards on the table, because that's the being sad. And she is number one on the country music chart. But let me tell you why I'm excited about this number one. I've listened to this song eighteen times. I've looked at all the line dances that people are creating, and it's like, let me just give you some guidance. If I can't learn this in a few simple steps, y'all are doing advanced choreography. That is a right, like who can do these line dances? But I think why we're talking about this in all seriousness is because of the resistance from some stations who have refused to play her music. There's also been people who are saying that she's not country, she can't be country music. If you'll recall, she did a country so before on her Lemonade album where she talked about her dad, and the Grammys refused to accept that into the country category. But there's been a long history, as I'm sure a lot of our listeners and viewers know, of black people in country music. In recent history, we have Tracy Chapman with Fastcar, Darius Rucker of Hoody and the Blowfist are also Latino Spanish speaking country singers. Country music originated in the black tradition. There's a whole movement of black folks that became reclaimed folk music. I remember growing up, growing up in the eighties, there was always like a country soul performance. I remember Patti LaBelle seeing duets with Dolly Parton and so when when when when her country album dropped, I was kind of excited because I thought, I when I've seen like a lot of the country music fans do these very involved line dances, I'm like, oh, this would be interesting. I know our stuff was gonna be dope, but it'll be interesting to see what they do with it. And of course it's all these people having all this resistance. What are y'all gonna stop being so terrible, you know, not being terrible and celebrate talent and embrace this music. Music is the one thing that that brings us together, I think, and I think traditionally, if you look throughout history, this is where we can align and build bridges. So just just stop being terrible. We're so exhaustedly y'all being terrible. Stop being terrible anyway. Have you learned the line dance Angela? Have you learned the line dance we? I don't know if y'all know this. Angela cannot work. I cannot work. So I know, Shay, we got to try to get a lesson from our girl, Andrew. Can you exactly, exactly exactly have y'all got Have y'all downloaded the single yet in sixteen Carriages?
Speaker 1: Yea, I have downloaded you like I do. I like sixteen carriages better. And we just want to note here that because of Texas, Hold Them Beyonce just became the first black woman artist with the number one country song on Billboard. Yes, so we were just speaking in a country music We're gonna get to a country part of the world. We're talking about Alabama, where the Alabama Supreme Court has ruled that unborn children are also children. This is hitting me kind of personally because this is about an IVF clinic where a patient went into a space where they weren't supposed to go and they dropped several fertilized eggs embryos on the ground and resulting in people losing some embryos and not being able to pursue uh.
Speaker 2: Their you know, their plans.
Speaker 1: And now with this ruling, they are potentially putting IVF clinics at risk of being able to further help couples who may be dealing with infertility. There's a twenty six year old who mentioned that she doesn't know what's going to happen. This ruling literally came down the day that she was beginning injections.
Speaker 2: For egg retrieval. So this is I don't unders.
Speaker 1: I don't know why the government needs to be in our business to this degree.
Speaker 2: It is such an overreach, It is so gross.
Speaker 1: I cannot wait until bills start coming out all over the country. There have already been a couple about regulating men's use of viagra. I just think that once we do that a little more, they will back up out of the vagina.
Speaker 2: It is really very It's just too much.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's too much.
Speaker 1: Well, and I do think there should be some regulation in support for couples seeking infertility treatments.
Speaker 2: I had four cycles of IVF that failed.
Speaker 1: This is not what I mean by that, right, Like, this ain't your business. Let me figure this out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, And thank you Angela for even sharing though you're for cycles that you've had, because millions of people have gone through this or are presently going through this across the country. So one, you're not alone. But legislation like this certainly has an impact. And these are voters people, these are voters. But I just want to point out a little something about Alabama, who cares so much much about children. Right now, there are over ten thousand kids in foster care in the state of Alabama. There's been a ten point seven percent increase of kids going to foster care in the state of Alabama since twenty eighteen. So I would ask some of these people who are not pro life but anti choice, how many children have you adopted out of the foster care system, because that is an option that they'd love to throw out to people who are pro choice. And how concerned are you about the children who are Have you shown up? Do you volunteer, do you encourage other people? Are you involved or are you just holding up protest signs or in about what's happening in my snatch.
Speaker 2: Yeah, how about that.
Speaker 1: Also to the point, you know, Tip loves data on that point, one in six people in this country are impacted by infertility. So maybe we should treat this a little more with a little more tender love and care.
Speaker 5: Tender love, care, respect, Angela. As you know to I thank God for our twins thanks to IVF and successful yea treatment.
Speaker 3: That's true.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, I mean it is the Supreme Court. I don't know if you read the opinion, but the language they use in the the invocation of of of of what God's providence is and what he would want for us, and what what he believes in and what he doesn't it is I mean, I don't know where these people went to law school. I don't know where their degrees come from, but they have not a.
Speaker 2: Law Roberts University.
Speaker 6: Okay.
Speaker 5: All I know is they've not only encroached on obviously a woman's a woman's body and in the most terrible ways, but they have they have also, in my opinion, completely shredded the law. And I just hope that the people in Alabama are are waking up to recognize that this is an assault that is not at their doorstep but in their bedrooms, and that they they got some work to do down there. I guess I should say over there, I'm in Florida.
Speaker 6: Over there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's true. Good point.
Speaker 1: We have another listener's question from David. Let's roll it.
Speaker 11: My name is David Hackney from Durham, North Carolina. Recently, Sage Steele made a comment that the Black national anthem lived every voice and saying was divisive. Oftentimes when they're uncomfortable, they use that term divisive to describe us when we're advocating for ourselves. The question is how do we change this narrative and how do we get them to see that their very own national anthem is divisive in itself and it's often a trigger for many of our people. Have a great day, Thank you.
Speaker 2: I love this question at the end, not at the beginning.
Speaker 1: And there's some people who I don't feel like deserve platforms. There are some people who decided that the line was shorter on the other side of the isle, and if they caped and cooned for the other side, that they somehow would find fame. And she is one of those people. How dare you talk about a national anthem that is deeply spiritual to our people?
Speaker 2: How dare you?
Speaker 1: We have the stanza from the Black National Anthem included in the very purpose of this podcast. How dare you? I still do not stand for the national anthem to this day because of how divisive it is, how triggering it is. Now understanding what is in the second stanzas Stanza by Francis Scott Key right like, how dare you You're talking about the life of an enslaved person being referenced in THEIRS, but you can't understand what it means to be true to our God, true to our native land, like through our tears, through our weary years.
Speaker 2: Through all of the things.
Speaker 1: I'm not going to cite all the lyrics because say, Chah, I don't even believe you ever heard it. But the point is it's not divisive to highlight the black experience. It is divisive to try to erase the black experience. That is what is done in the actual American National Anthem. It is not divisive for you to have to recollect history. That is so sad that you feel that way. It is so sad that you are so ashamed of your black side, your black skin, that you will run and revolt to the other side to make whiteness feel more comfortable.
Speaker 2: I wonder how her.
Speaker 3: Kids feel, because they're also black. So I wonder how her kids like when they hear something like that. I mean, I think it's clear Saint Stale is a confused, self hating, half witted, chucking' and jiving idiot.
Speaker 5: You know, I'm just glad they revealed that they are anti prayer, right, because the last stanza of the Negro National Anthem is a prayer, God of our silenteers, God of our weary years, God who has brought us thus far along the way, Guy who has, by thy might led us into the light.
Speaker 6: Right. So first of.
Speaker 3: All, we appreciate the flax that you know the last verse of the National The real test is do you know the second one?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 6: Yes? I do, because that.
Speaker 2: No, not you, Andrew, Andrew got you.
Speaker 1: I think tips point is like she probably hasn't even read through the whole thing. And I'm saying, even like even the people who are actually down for the cause and haven't had their black cards revoke, many of us do not know the second verse without at least a little Yeah, I.
Speaker 3: Got, I got a hum for a minute, and then you talking about.
Speaker 5: I don't think anybody should spend any time trying to convince anybody who don't appreciate, doesn't value, doesn't understand what that means to us to all of a sudden care, I don't. That is the negro to me is so so personal. That's why I love the fourth stands of being a prayer.
Speaker 6: Right, it is.
Speaker 5: Third, it is, it is. It is built through struggle, through harsh third.
Speaker 6: Third. I'm sorry, nope, is that right?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Third? Yes, the third. Okay, No, you're right, you're right, you're right that it's the third.
Speaker 6: You're right, but you're wrong. It's the third.
Speaker 2: It's the third. But that said, that's all we need to say about that.
Speaker 1: We're gonna go ahead and pause for an ad break and get back to Calls to Action. All right, So we are back with our well, at least my favorite part, Calls to Action. It's not a podcast with discussion with us unless there's something to do. There's stuff that we need for y'all to do. So we're gonna start off this week with tip.
Speaker 2: Tip has a good one. Tip what you got?
Speaker 3: Yes, so you guys know, the State of the Union is coming up on March seventh, and so I would like to hear from our listeners and our viewers about what you would like to hear President Biden address during the State of the Union. Now, as you all know, this is when he comes before a joint session of Congress to actually give the State of our Union. So we just want to hear from you how you feel about it. We're going to play some of your responses next week and we hope that it may even echo chamber up to the White House so they can hear what his base would like to hear him addressed in the State of the Union. So that's our ask. It's my call to action, but it's on behalf of my co host Andrew and Angela. We really want to hear from you, so shoot us a video. We want to see those beautiful faces and so we can see you and put together our own montage.
Speaker 6: If you shy, you can write. If you're shy, no.
Speaker 3: We need the sound, so please put it on video and send it to us. It's hurt well.
Speaker 1: Andrew, since you're so eager to double dutch in, why don't you go ahead and do your call to action.
Speaker 6: I just listen.
Speaker 5: This past week or two, we've been spending my wife and I spend some time helping our kids with their Black History Month projects, which every fourth grader in the school has to do, and then it goes to the media center and then all the other kids in the school get to go and visit and learn different Black history facts. And I just my call to action is my son presented his yesterday and we're surprised that not anyone else in the class had heard of the individual. And I would just like to encourage wherever you're from, who you are, your background, whatever, that all of us before this month, lets out takes the opportunity to lift up some Black history in your own home, for your family, your children, your whomever. Let's not take it for granted. The school didn't allow them to talk about Martin Luther King or Rosa Parks, because those are folks who are largely in the regular curriculum of the school. So reach out beyond the well known names and figures, and you know, bring yourself a little education, and your family, your household, in particularly if you've got kids, try to introduce them to some of the lesser known lesser talked about individuals and moments in black history.
Speaker 2: I love now.
Speaker 1: I did note that you said individual. Do you remember the individual's name on jacks?
Speaker 5: You're not going that wasn't important, so I wanted to It is important, but most importantly, lift up the lesser, the individuals who a lesser known, and question.
Speaker 1: And answers and gifts. Mine is another big one for our audience. As you all can probably tell, we are working so hard to try to keep this podcast cast under an hour. There's always so much happening, and even though we love each other deeply, there's always a little bit of nuance in our opinions, and so there's disagreement, but with love and respect. Almost they almost killed me earlier, but I think I'm checking.
Speaker 2: I'm still here. I'm still here. I'm still here.
Speaker 1: But my question for you all is we always talk about a top five and wrap. I want us to have a top five in topics, and every week we want you all to pick a topic you want us to address in the first half. We have these quick topics, well they're supposed to be quick, but we'd love to hear.
Speaker 2: From you all.
Speaker 1: We're trying to get folks in the spirit of voting, and we want you to vote every week and not only just sending your questions, not only sending what you want to hear for state of the Union, but vote on a topic you want us to address. Every week, we'll send out the top five and have y'all vote on that at the top of the week and before we end the show, I want to remind everyone.
Speaker 2: To leave us a review.
Speaker 1: Subscribe to Native lamppod anywhere where you get your podcasts and on YouTube.
Speaker 2: Make sure you're downloading those episodes.
Speaker 1: New episodes drop every single Thursday around tennis am. For the audio, you can also follow us on social media.
Speaker 2: At Native lamppod.
Speaker 1: We are your hosts Angela Raie, Tiffany Cross, and Andrew Gillum. There are two hundred and fifty six days until election Day.
Speaker 2: Welcome home, y'all, Welcome home.
Speaker 1: Native Lamppod is a production of iHeartRadio in partnership with Reason Choice Media. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio you app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.